HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archive of Five Words Stories

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #110 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:05 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:05 am (#2942 of 2960) [Edited Dec 3, 2010 10 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Indor10

Post-Story Comments for Story #110, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "The Birth of a Hat"

This story was written from June 11, 2009 to July 9, 2009. Nine writers contributed to the story, which is 1,995 words long. Four of the nine writers posted feedback.

- PatPat, Jul 10, 2009 1:31 am: There is our 110th story! I thought this one came out really well. I love these stories about characters and times we don't know much about. Once again, we kept it to one simple plot line and didn't overcomplicate things. I really think the story length limits are helping us to stay simple and write more concise and better stories. We just al need to remember the posts left count during the last 50 or so posts of the story. This really helps us to keep track of where we are going. Well done, everyone!

- Verity Weasley, Jul 10, 2009 6:05 am: Great job on getting the story and stats up so quickly PatPat! That last story took a long time to write - four weeks! But we had a nice variety of contributors. It always amazes me how so many different people manage to craft a story, piece by piece, and end up with a coherent, entertaining result. I also really liked our last story. It made a nice change writing about the founders, about whom we know so little. I particularly liked the first half of the story and the dialogue between the four founders. It felt very authentic.

- mona amon, Jul 10, 2009 8:33 am: Yes, the story turned out really well.

- Potteraholic, Jul 10, 2009 10:15 am: It was great fun writing the last story. I agree with everything that's been said already: PatPat's points about sticking to one simple plotline making for better storywriting, and updating post countdowns frequently; Verity's comment about writing dialogue that sounds authentic to the character speaking it; and mona's comment saying the story turned out well. I love it when we find interesting and specific vocabulary to express an idea - it cuts down on words, for one thing - and craft sentences that flow well, even when written by 4 or 5 people from around the globe.

* Five Words – Volume 11 Index * 

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Main Archives * 
 * Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #111

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 am

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Jul 25, 2009 4:51 pm (#1098 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Trio-c10

Potty Five Words: "A Neighborly Chat"

Arabella Figg dusted off her clothes to get rid of the cat hair scattered all over them. She was expecting a visit from Albus Dumbledore, to discuss the plans for watching over Harry Potter when he came to live with the Dursleys. Just then, the doorbell rang. "Hang on a moment," she called, shooing one of her cats from under the rocking chair. "Half a second!" Arabella shuffled over to the door, feeling a little anxious. Being a Squib, she had never felt very useful to the Order, so was eager to succeed in her job as Harry's minder. But Albus was not who Arabella saw when she opened the door.

"Evening, Mrs. Figg." Vernon Dursley stood on the doorstep, his jaw clenched. He was holding a grubby, broken wand by its handle. "Your... cat left this in my garden," he explained, "next to my wife's begonias," he continued, holding out a dead flower in his other hand.

"Oh," stammered Arabella, "I'm terribly sorry about that! Perhaps I can offer you a tissue? I wouldn't want you to get dirt on your clothes."

"Not necessary!" growled Vernon. "But I would appreciate you keeping your cats away from my garden in future."

"Of course," Arabella agreed, "won't you come in for a minute and sit down? We can discuss this over a cup of tea."

Vernon decided to oblige and followed Arabella inside. Tufty, Tibbles, Snowy, and Mr. Paws were lounging by the fireplace. Vernon looked at them with distaste, beginning to wish he had just finished his conversation with Arabella on the doorstep. Tufty, begonia-digger extraordinaire, hissed at Vernon as he got to his feet, stretching languidly. Vernon shooed him away, but Tufty just edged closer.

Arabella smiled, "Now, Tufty, you ought to mind your manners! Vernon is our guest!" She winked at him, then put the tea tray down on the table in front of Vernon, who reluctantly accepted a cup. "I am ever so sorry about your begonias. Let me replace them, please."

Vernon smiled weakly, his eyes lingering on the broken wand he'd left on the coffee table. "This... knitting needle... whatsit," he began, suspiciously.

"Oh, that's just some old thing I found — Tufty must have dragged it out of my crochet basket, the bad little creature!" Arabella scolded.

Tufty, quite unperturbed, slowly began to untie Vernon’s shoelace. "Oi! Gerroff me, cat! Listen, er, Mrs. Fogg — I think you need to have more control over these blasted animals! Untying shoelaces! Digging up begonias! I want the—"

When suddenly, the doorbell rang. "Oh, dear!" Arabella exclaimed. "I wonder who that could be?"

"It's probably Petunia," Vernon said, standing up quickly, as if to escape from Arabella's clutches.

"Wait! Jam! Gooseberry! I made a fresh batch this morning. You must take some home with you." Arabella bustled off to the front door.

Vernon was right. Petunia Dursley stood on the doorstep. "Good evening, Mrs. Figg I was wondering if you and my husband had finished your chat. Dudders needs his—" She broke off as she caught sight of Vernon hovering most attentively over a tin of custard creams.

"Vernon!" called Petunia. "Dudders wants to say something! Come quickly!"

Dudley was squirming in Petunia's arms. He opened his mouth and made a strangled sound, like a calf choking on hay. Petunia beamed.

"That's my boy," Vernon proclaimed proudly. A sudden CRACK! sounded from the street, causing Dudley to start crying. Arabella looked around anxiously, but the street seemed deserted. Nevertheless, she felt sure Dumbledore had arrived and was keen to get the Dursleys out of the way and safely back home.

"Here," said Arabella, picking up her string bag, "let me get that jam I promised you before you—"

"No, that's quite alright," Vernon said, pushing past Arabella. His foot caught on a tartan slipper that Tufty had played with earlier. As if in slow motion, Arabella began to move out of the way as Vernon toppled over, landing on the slipper. Petunia shrieked and Dudley started crying. Arabella helped Vernon up, but he brushed her hand away impatiently, his face reddening rapidly to the shade of a very ripe plum. Taking Petunia's arm, he steered her from the doorstep. If he had to stay any longer, Vernon would have started to jeopardize his good standing with his neighbors from Wisteria Walk.

Waving from the doorstep, Arabella watched as the Dursleys disappeared around the corner, then scanned the street for any sign of Dumbledore. A nearby privet hedge moved and Dumbledore stepped out, his long purple robes flowing behind him. "Good evening, Arabella," Dumbledore said. "I see you've been chatting with Harry's future guardians." He followed her inside quickly. "We have much to discuss."

"Are you sure Harry's safe from You-Know-Who?" Arabella asked with concern. "I'd like you to tell me what really happened at Godric's Hollow last night, Albus," she continued. "The rumors that have been circulating! I really don't know what to believe! Why, since I got your message, I've done nothing but—"

"Please, Arabella, forgive my interruption but, time is of the essence. The situation has changed dramatically since Voldemort disappeared, but we must not despair. Harry will be coming here to Little Whinging because it is the place where he'll be best protected."

"But why?" Arabella asked doubtfully, "I don't think the Dursleys will be good surrogate parents, Albus. I'd take him, the poor love, and raise him as my own.”

Dumbledore smiled, regretfully. "I know you would, Arabella. But this is complicated. I have my reasons." Sinking into a chair by the window, Arabella sighed and waited for Dumbledore to continue. "For your safety, it's better that you don't know the details, Arabella," Dumbledore said, seriously. "I'm already asking so much of you, I don't want to burden you more than necessary. I will only tell you this. The danger may not be over."

Arabella looked out of the window nervously. "You think the Death Eaters will come here?" she asked.

"It's a possibility we have to consider. As Alastor says, 'Constant vigilance!'"

"You go tell old Alastor," she began with uncharacteristic assertiveness, "my cats will be able to keep their eyes and their ears open. They'll act as sentries twenty-four hours a day!" She looked fondly at all four of her purring companions. "We'll have ten eyes between us and that's more than Alastor's two, even with that magical eye of his!"

Dumbledore smiled and leaned forward to stroke Snowball's fur. "I have every faith in you, Arabella," he said quite decisively. "Now, we need you to keep a close eye on young Harry Potter. He will be arriving later tonight. But you mustn't speak of this to anyone. The Dursleys must not know anything about your connection to the wizarding world, or they will never allow you to go near Harry. Do you think they suspect anything?" he asked, frowning.

"Dursley found the old wand Dung gave me for my birthday last year. His idea of a joke, no doubt."

"And?" Dumbledore asked pointedly.

"I convinced him it was from my crochet basket," Arabella explained. Dumbledore glanced over at the wand, still lying on the table where Vernon had left it. "A crochet hook? It looks more like a knitting needle to me," Dumbledore chuckled. "Mr. Dursley's knowledge of wizard artifacts is, fortunately nonexistent, as is his knowledge of Muggle crafts, it seems."

"Tufty, here, diverted his attention nicely, didn't you, boy?" Arabella crooned, and Tufty flicked his tail in approval. Dumbledore stood up quickly. "Leaving already, Albus?” Arabella asked. "You can't go without taking some jam home with you. I've made your favorite flavor."

"How wonderful! I have just finished the last of the jar you gave me for my birthday."

Dumbledore walked over to the front door while Arabella fetched the jam jars from the kitchen. "Here you are, Albus," she said, handing him two jars of raspberry jam, which he 
deftly placed in a pouch that looked much too small to fit them, but somehow both disappeared into it without any trouble.

At the door, Dumbledore turned around and said, "I'll be in touch, Arabella, by owl, nightly, for at least the next few weeks. If anything should happen during that time, you'll be able to send word that way." He stepped outside and then continued. "Let's hope the worst is over, and Harry's aunt and uncle will give him the love and care that he will need...” He trailed off, lost in thought.

"From those two?" Arabella interjected. "I have my doubts, Albus!"

Dumbledore frowned and said, "There is always hope that they will make the right choices and surprise us all. I hope."

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #111 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 am

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Jul 25, 2009 4:52 pm (#1099 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Statistics for Story 111
ordered by first contribution to the story

User
  # of Submissions  
  Verity Weasley    102
  mona amon   26
  Potteraholic     117
  PatPat   20
  Quinn Crockett     10
  freshwater   1
  Chemyst   3
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times, who may in turn pass it to the user who posted the third number of times in the story, and so forth.

Total Submissions: 289
Total Words: 1445
Last Submission Date: #1096, Jul 23, 2009, 2:04 am (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 12 days, 19 hours, and 59 minutes

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #111 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:10 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:05 am (#2941 of 2960) [Edited Dec 3, 2010 9 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Post-Story Comments for Story #111, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "A Neighborly Chat"

This story was written from July 10, 2009 to July 23, 2009. Seven writers contributed to the story, which is 1,445 words long. Three of the seven writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Jul 25, 2009 4:52 pm: Story #111 is up! I like it a lot. This was going to have been my shortest post-story comment in Five Words history! But then I thought I'd mention that I had a hard time coming up with the title. Having no time to mull it over, I just went with "A Neighborly Chat" and hope for the best. On with the next story!

- Verity Weasley, Jul 25, 2009 9:56 pm: Great job posting the story and stats, PAH. The title is very fitting, as always. This was a nice little story. We had some interesting lines of dialogue and I think we have introduced a new character with a lot of potential in young Tufty! I'd like to explore more of Arabella's world in future stories, perhaps when we are not so restricted by canon.

- PatPat, Jul 26, 2009 3:28 am: Great job posting the story, as always, PAH! I like the title as well. I definitely think this turned out to be a nice little story with some great dialogue and interesting character development. Well done, everyone! I also like this idea for a story. I always love exploring characters that we know very little about. It gives us a little leeway to be creative!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #112

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:11 am

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 11, 2009 8:37 pm (#1361 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 AGLeafBullseyeavatar

Potty Five Words: "The Eye and the Storm"

Professor Sinistra looked at the clock. It was nearly dark and soon time to go up to the tower for her meeting with Professor Trelawney. She was just about to leave her office when a strange thought occurred to her. She stopped for a moment and thought, I wonder if Sybil knows that the centaurs have been studying the skies lately. It is an interesting coincidence that she should ask me to come to the Astronomy Tower tonight.

She walked slowly up the stairs, still pondering her colleague's sudden interest in stargazing. It wasn't like Sybil Trelawney to be thinking of anything beyond her tower office. This was the first time she could remember Sybil ever requesting a meeting with her. Sybil was already waiting at the Astronomy Tower when she got there.

“Ah, Aurora," Sybil began. "Thank you for getting here so quickly. I wonder if you noticed how bright Mars is tonight? Something very strange, dark, and mysterious is going to happen soon and I need your help deciphering what this could portend." She looked at Aurora through thick spectacles, her eyes wide with excitement. "Do you think it means something?"

Aurora looked at Sybil with exasperation. "Astronomy, Sybil, is a very exact science, unlike that wishy-washy astrology you..." She stopped herself from further elaboration.

Sybil looked affronted and pulled her fringed shawl around her shoulders. "Astrology relies on the stars," she began, "and anyway science isn't everything. I should know that. The Inner Eye sees beyond what any narrow-minded, dull scientist can measure."

"Why ask for my help if you don't believe in rational thought? I'm not in the mood to explain celestial phenomena to someone who thinks my field is pointless. Perhaps you should have asked the centaurs instead."

Sybil gaped at her. "The centaurs? But whatever do you mean, Aurora? The centaurs are not the creatures who are likely to be able to help us! They do not possess the Inner Eye!"

Aurora decided this was going nowhere and started again. "Sybil, what was your reason for asking me to meet you here tonight? I would like to go back to my office and start preparing for tomorrow's lessons."

Sybil sighed, "The real reason I came to you, Aurora, is because I have a feeling that something is not right in the forest. I can sense that strange events are imminent. And the planet Saturn is in an unfavorable alignment. I am very afraid..." She broke off as a voice was carried to them on the wind.

"Severus, I understand your desire to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts but I cannot allow you to do it." Dumbledore and Snape's voices died away just as the door opened and they entered, to find the tower-top already occupied.

Aurora smiled nervously, while Sybil looked annoyed at the interruption.

"Good evening, Sybil...Aurora," Dumbledore said. "I had no idea this tower was occupied. Sorry for intruding on your conversation. Severus and I were just discussing the upcoming term. We have a rather interesting batch of new students who will be arriving next week."

Aurora noticed that Dumbledore was carrying a small roll of parchment in his hand, which he’d tucked inside his robes as he stepped through the doorway. Professor Snape followed, his eyebrows raised interrogatively.

"An interesting time for a secret meeting," he remarked. "And, surely, Professor Trelawney, you would rather be crystal gazing than star gazing."

Sybil sniffed, haughtily. "For those of us who possess the gift of Sight, neither crystal gazing nor star gazing are taken lightly."

Dumbledore smiled, his eyes twinkling. "Surely, Severus, Sybil and Aurora may meet wherever they choose, without consulting us. I am sure they have pressing matters to discuss.”

"Oh Headmaster, we weren't really going to discuss anything that important." Aurora paused and turned quickly to face Sybil, who returned her gaze. "Were we, Sybil?" she asked.

"We were talking about how there is something amiss in the forest," she began. "I have observed the unicorns running around, restlessly, and my crystal gazing has portended some as yet unrevealed but still foreboding images."

"Images?" Dumbledore seemed genuinely interested, piquing the curiosity of both Snape and Aurora.

"Yes, Headmaster. You'd be amazed at how dynamic and shifting the portents are, even when their exact appearance is indiscernible. Dark and strange events are what they undoubtedly signify." Sybil paused dramatically before proceeding. "And I think they might indicate we are all in danger. Unless I'm mistaken, the lightning bolt I have seen is a warning! There is a storm coming!"

Dumbledore nodded and said, "But Sybil, we have faced many other storms and outbursts here at Hogwarts. I think we can weather this one, too."

"No, Headmaster!" Sybil exclaimed. "This is a tempest without equal, marked by pain and a cloud of misery!"

"A cloud of misery?" Snape smirked, his eyebrows raised. "How can clouds be miserable? Enlighten us."

Sybil sniffed impatiently, and ignored his question.

Aurora, however, looked mildly interested, and asked, "How long have you been seeing these images, Sybil?"

"Since the sherry arrived from Hogsmeade, I should think!" interposed Snape silkily. "I've noticed you've been having an extra glass or two at dinner."

"Severus. Please refrain from any more comments regarding Sybil's drinking habits.” Dumbledore added, "We all have our little indulgences. I recall a bottle of elf-made wine, which we shared yesterday... you seemed to rather enjoy it, considering I didn't get more than a goblet's worth."

Snape was unruffled. "That, Headmaster, is very true. I will have to admit that your wine selection is truly excellent. I must try to contain myself in future."

Aurora's lips curled in a slight smile as she tried to picture Severus Snape after having a couple of drinks too many. She had never once seen the saturnine Potions Master lose his composure, but the idea of him cracking an inebriated grin had a certain appeal.

Sybil's clinking bracelets reminded Aurora that she still didn't know the answer to her question. "Sybil, you were about to tell us how long you've been having these visions," she reminded her.

"Oh Aurora, I've been seeing them for months! They are always the same: serpentine, tumultuous masses punctuated by a bolt of lightning. It casts a fiery light over them, its power and brilliance banishing the darkness of the night!" Sybil let out a long and dramatic sigh, and an eerie silence descended upon the four of them.

Dumbledore spoke first. "Lightning," he murmured softly. "Even the smallest burst could be the herald of great change." He touched his forehead absently. "I wonder if the lightning may be a signal of a positive change and, hopefully, a lasting one."

Sybil seemed a little deflated by Dumbledore's calm appraisal of those ominous portents, but Aurora was quite excited by his words. A look of comprehension dawned on her face. "Headmaster, do you mean that he's coming to Hogwarts at last?"

Snape nodded, slowly. "Almost ten years since..." His voice faltered and he turned away, leaving the others looking at each other in surprise.

"What's the matter, Severus? You seem a little distracted," Aurora asked.

"If that's all, Headmaster, I'll take my leave," Snape muttered, his eyes downcast.

"Certainly, Severus," Dumbledore answered quietly.

Snape left without a word.

Sybil looked at the others as though she was trying to decipher a particularly unsuggestive clump of tea leaves. "What's going on? Why did Severus leave so abruptly? And who's coming to Hogwarts?"

Dumbledore and Aurora exchanged amused glances. Sybil's "inner vision" was cloudy, apparent to everyone but herself. The others turned to leave. "Wait!" Sybil cried. "What about my warning? The Inner Eye? The lightning bolt?"

"Don't worry Sybil," said Dumbledore lightly, "each storm shall pass, in due course. You mark my words."

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #112 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 am

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 11, 2009 8:38 pm (#1362 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 112

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic     66
  Quinn Crockett     36
  Dryleaves   7
  Verity Weasley     44
  PatPat   39
  mona amon   57
  Kip Carter   1
  Julia H.   8
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times, who may in turn pass it to the user who posted the third number of times in the story, and so forth.

Total Submissions: 259
Total Words: 1295
Last Submission Date: #1358, Sep 9, 2009, 12:31 am (Verity Weasley)
Total Time to Create Story: 45 days, 19 hours, and 39 minutes

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #112 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:06 am (#2944 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #112, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "The Eye and the Storm"

This story was written from July 25, 2009 to September 9, 2009. Eight writers contributed to the story, which is 1,295 words long. Five of the eight writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Sep 11, 2009 8:51 pm: Well, Story #112 is up, Verity! (And everyone else!) It took a month and a half to write! So... how does it read? I think it turned out well, in the end, but I'm a bit biased, I s'pose.

- Verity Weasley, Sep 12, 2009 5:59 am: It's hard to believe the previous story took a month and a half to write, when it can be read in just a couple of minutes. I actually enjoyed it and it didn't feel laboured at all. I was afraid it might, as it seemed to be such a struggle to write. But it turned out quite well, and I liked the characterisation. Snape and Trelawney were particularly well-drawn, I thought.

- Dryleaves, Sep 12, 2009 9:23 am: I think the last story was a nice one. I agree with Verity about the characterisation. I think that was the strength of the story. And I agree with Aurora that it would be quite an experience to see Snape having a couple of drinks too many, but I suspect a story like that might not be forum friendly...

- mona amon, Sep 12, 2009 10:58 am: Yes, the story did turn out well, even though there were days when we managed only about two posts! I think we managed to get Severus just right, not too sentimental or anything. And this story gave us an opportunity to use some really nice words like 'ominous' and 'portents' and 'inebriated' and 'tumultuous'.

- Potteraholic, Sep 12, 2009 12:42 pm: mona, my personal favorite interesting word in that story was ... the saturnine Potions Master... ~ mona
And I don't see why we can't continue the cavalcade of creative words in this story!

- Julia H., Sep 13, 2009 10:32 am: I really liked the last story. It was nice to participate a little in the end.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #113

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:16 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am (#1604 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Tonks_11

Potty Five Words: "A Family Gathering"

It was Sunday morning. Remus was in a desperate hurry. He was already late, and Tonks would be upset if he missed yet another meeting with her parents. Her patience had started to crack when he had booked himself for a trip, via portkey, to Paris. He was going to have to apologize profusely this time; there was no avoiding it.

Remus gathered up his bag and some ruby red elf-made wine he had bought as a present for Tonks' parents. Wand in hand, he focused on his destination. The instant he envisioned her home, he felt the air compress around him. He landed, suddenly, in the dark lane outside the Tonks family home. Remus strode quickly up the garden path, but suddenly his courage failed him and he hovered by the front steps.

"What are you doing standing in the flower beds? We've been waiting for over an hour!" Tonks snapped from the doorway.

Remus stepped forward into the hall. "Sorry," he mumbled, looking down at his shoes. He removed his shabby traveling cloak, shyly revealing the rose he had plucked for her before Apparating.

Her face lit up as she saw the flower. "Oh... Remus," she said softly. "You've never given me flowers before! You don't have to bring me gifts. I know you can't afford them."

Remus almost told her that he had not paid for it, but accepted her thanks with a smile. Tonks took his hand and led him into the living room. Andromeda and Ted were sitting on the sofa. Tonks' parents both rose when they entered and shook Remus' hand. The friendly gesture made Remus feel happy and sad; happy that he had finally found someone to love him, sad that he didn't have more to offer.

"Welcome, Remus!" said Tonks' father. "Andromeda and I are so happy to finally welcome you to our home. We've heard so much about you."

Andromeda added, "And we were starting to think that you might be frightened of meeting us."

"We're harmless folks," said Ted Tonks, winking. "We don't bite, you know."

Remus shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Tonks' parents didn't know his secret, he realized with a pang. This was going to be even more difficult than he had anticipated. Taking Tonks' hand in his, he cleared his throat and said, "Mr. and Mrs. Tonks, there's something I have to tell you. He paused and glanced at Tonks.

"Go on, tell them now, sweetheart!" Tonks said, smiling encouragingly at Remus, who could feel his heart pounding.

Ted and Andromeda looked expectantly at Remus. Andromeda said, "It sounds like there might be a secret between the two of you."

"It's really my secret," Remus sighed miserably. "I've been carrying the weight of it since my childhood. The only way I can tell you is to just say it, and hope you'll understand, though I won't be surprised if you don't..."

"Tell us, Remus," Andromeda coaxed, gently. "We are only human, so we all have our problems."

"Yes," Ted replied. "There's a skeleton hidden in everyone's closet. You are our daughter's friend and if she is fine with you, I don't see why—"

"I'm a werewolf." The words left a ringing silence in the room as Ted and Andromeda stared at him in shocked disbelief. Tonks softly stroked Remus' hand. He exhaled deeply. He had confessed his secret to them, at last. Now they knew he was a monster, things couldn't get any worse.

"Mum, Dad, say something," Tonks said, but her parents remained mute. "Dad, remember what you just said! I love you both, but I love Remus too! He is not a bad man! In fact, he is the nicest, most tender-hearted and lovable man I know. He can't help what was done to him, and he does everything he can to avoid hurting people."

Remus rose quickly and said, "I should probably leave so you can—"

"You're not going anywhere! You're staying here till we get this sorted out," Tonks said fiercely.

Her parents exchanged anxious looks. "Calm down, Dora," Ted said. "And Remus, please don't go away. It's a bit of a shock, but, as I said, you're Dora's friend."

"Yeah, Dad, he is!" Tonks declared, linking her arm in his.

"Nymphadora, how long have you known about this? You never told us anything!" Andromeda gently rebuked.

"I've always known, just as I've always known what a kind, generous person he is."

"I understand that dear, but you must realize that this has certain implications... for the future... should you have children... have you talked about getting married? Or—"

"Your concerns are perfectly justified," Remus said. "A life with a werewolf is an experiment, a big risk. Many would rather leave than stay to find out what happens." He cast a meaningful glance at Tonks, then said, "I've explained this to you, but you still want to be with me."

"Yes," Tonks said, looking squarely at her parents. "Look, the transformations don't happen unpredictably. As long as Remus drinks his Wolfsbane Potion when the full moon is coming, he won't suffer the full effects of his condition, so he can lead a fairly normal life without harming anyone." Tonks glared at her parents as they sat, silently, mulling over the situation. Remus continued to look at Tonks with concern.

At last Ted nudged his wife, who was sitting deep in thought. "Dromeda! I know it'll take some getting used to, but remember when you introduced me to your parents? They looked at me as though I was a flobberworm.

Andromeda winced as she recalled the painful memory, but a moment later, her face softened and she gave Remus a watery smile. "If Dora's quite sure you're the one for her then we can think the same, too."

"Thanks, Mum," Tonks enthused. "I knew you'd understand! I remember you telling me how you got blasted off the family tree tapestry in your parents' house. I hope it can be restored one day."

"I don't need a place on an old tapestry! My present family means more to me now, and I'd never force you to choose between us and the man you love!" Andromeda declared. "Your happiness is very important to us."

Tonks got up and hugged both her parents. "I knew that you would understand."

"Right, our lunch is getting cold," announced Ted, standing up, moving to the table, and raising his glass of wine. The others followed suit. "Here's to Dora and Remus!" Ted began, looking at the young couple.

"Ehrm..." Remus shifted his gaze quickly, from Tonks to her parents, and back again. Perhaps it was time he made his intentions clear, once and for all. "Mr. and Mrs. Tonks, your daughter is a wonderful woman and I love her, very much. She thinks I can make her happy, and I will try my best to do so. All I ask is that you give me a chance. A chance to settle down and have some time together before life in the wizarding world gets even worse than it is now."

"Let's raise our glasses once again," said Ted, with a pensive smile. "To Dora and Remus! And to a peaceful life together!"

This story was later revised in Volume XII, and can be found here.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #113 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am (#1605 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Statistics for Story 113

User
  # of Submissions  
  mona amon   28
  Verity Weasley    23
  Dryleaves   34
  Potteraholic     86
  azi   18
  PatPat   11
  Julia H.     38
  legolas returns   2

Total Submissions: 240
Total Words: 1200
Last Submission Date: #1603, Sep 29, 2009, 10:19 am (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 17 days, 6 hours, and 54 minutes

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #113 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:07 am (#2945 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Post-Story Comments for Story #113, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "A Family Gathering"

This story was written from September 12, 2009 to September 29, 2009. Eight writers contributed to the story, which is 1,200 words long. Two of the eight writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am: Story #113 is up! And it took just over 2 weeks to finish! Yay! That's a BIG improvement from the previous story, which took 45 days! I liked this story, but I must admit, trying to figure out how Tonks and Remus would speak to each other once their relationship became a romantic one, made writing their dialogue a bit tricky for me. I really didn't/don't think they were overly sentimental with each other but, what do I know?

- Julia H., Sep 30, 2009 7:15 am: I liked the previous story and enjoyed writing it. The reason why I did not participate more at then end of the story (despite several calls to write the ending and despite my own intentions) was that I was (like Mona) uncomfortable with writing a toast. I'm not sure I could make it sound realistic enough.

I must admit, trying to figure out how Tonks and Remus would speak to each other once their relationship became a romantic one, made writing their dialogue a bit tricky for me. (PAH)

I don't think they always have to sound romantic and sentimental just because they love each other, especially when other people are present. Not everyone is like Lav-Lav.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #114

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:25 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Oct 9, 2009 12:51 am (#1779 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 GreenFrogavatar

Potty Five Words: "Dear Sisters"

1st September 1970

Dear Tuney,

My first day at Hogwarts was very busy. The journey from Kings Cross was very long. Severus and I had some delicious pumpkin pasties and chocolate frogs. We found some amazing, magical cards inside the wrapping. They were pictures of famous witches and wizards. Guess what these pictures can do? They scratch their noses and yawn! One even winked at me in a very cheeky way. Severus says I should collect the full set of cards. He's got some doubles he can give me to get me started. He's a mine of information on all magical things. He's a good friend.

But guess what! We had to be sorted into houses; there are four: Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. Severus is in Slytherin, and I'm Gryffindor along with a horrible, big-headed prat and his equally arrogant friend. The feast started immediately after the Sorting, and food suddenly appeared on the table. I could hardly believe my eyes. There were so many platters! Heaps and heaps of delicious food. I just didn't know what to choose, so I had a little of everything.

I also met a girl called Mary MacDonald. We are roommates. Our bedroom is right above the common room, in the tower of the Gryffindor part of the castle. There are ghosts, too! Each house has one. Ours is called Nearly Headless Nick, but he really doesn't like being called that. Anyway, I'd better get to bed soon. Tomorrow classes will start! My first class is Charms. I look forward to trying my new wand. Write back soon.

Love,

Lily

P.S. From the train station we took little boats to the castle. It was a bit scary because it was already dark. Severus and Hagrid, a nice man and the tallest I've ever seen — he must be about seven feet at least — were in my boat, and they helped me feel braver.

Goodbye!

10th September 1970

Dear Lily,

A horrible, shabby bird delivered your letter and nearly put its beak in my porridge.

In London, Mum bought me chocolates from Fortnum & Mason and when we got home, she and Dad let me watch all my favorite shows on television and we had lots of fun.

I don't know how you can believe all that nonsense about ghosts! Don't you realize they're older students? They're just teasing you and trying to frighten you. Don't let those freaks play tricks on you, Lily! And I hope you'll stop hanging around with that awful boy, although the other prats in your class may not be much better. Try to find other friends! He's not someone you should even talk to. I told Mum and Dad about how horrible he was to me that day by the swings. They said he must've been shy. I still think he's just horrible. You'd be better off getting to know some nice, normal girls instead, like that Mary MacDonald.

There's a new boy in my class. He's from Australia and he has a pet kangaroo! I want to invite him 'round for tea soon. Mum thinks it's a good idea. I'm sure he'll invite me 'round to his house to meet his menagerie of animals. He's got a koala bear and an emu, too!

About your classes, make sure they're not a hoax. Charms?! Do you learn anything useful there? I seriously doubt it!

Did you meet Professor Dumbledore? Remember what I asked you to tell him? Perhaps he has changed his mind since he wrote that letter to me earlier in the holidays. Well, I've changed my mind. I would not want to go to your school even if they begged me to. I prefer normal people to freaks showing gross abnormalities and wearing unfashionable clothing! My school is far better anyway. I'd think you would do much better if you gave up this dangerous and mad school and came home! Of course, you'd need to go to an excellent school like mine! Wouldn't that be fun?

Love, your totally normal sister,

Petunia

12th September 1970

Petunia,

How dare you insult my school! Just because you couldn't get into Hogwarts doesn't mean you can say mean and horrible things about it! And as for coming back home? And going to your school?! I wouldn't go there if it were the last school on Earth! Pet kangaroos indeed! I'm really surprised that you are willing to believe such nonsense when you flatly refuse to believe the magic you've seen with your very own eyes.

I didn't get a chance to speak to Professor Dumbledore, by the way. I'm glad about it. You needn't worry that he'll change his mind and invite you to come to Hogwarts after all. So you'd better leave my friends and things you know nothing about, alone.

And if you don't stop, I'll let Chrysanthemum, my darling toad, into your underwear drawer to hop through your things. You wouldn't like to have small footprints all over your clean knickers, would you? (Chrysanthemum was a present from Severus for being a good friend.)

So, be nice, or you know the consequence.

Your very magical sister,

Lily

This series of letters was later continued in Volume XII, and can be found here.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #114 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:31 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Oct 9, 2009 12:52 am (#1780 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 114

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic     56
  mona amon   20
  Julia H.   44
  legolas returns   26
  Verity Weasley     24
  Dryleaves     2

Total Submissions: 172
Total Words: 860
Last Submission Date: #1777, Oct 7, 2009, 9:34 pm (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 7 days, 20 hours, and 30 minutes

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #114 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:07 am (#2946 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #114, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "Dear Sisters"

This story was written from September 30, 2009 to October 7, 2009. Six writers contributed to the story, which is 860 words long. Four of the six writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Oct 9, 2009 1:08 am: Writing these letters from Lily to Petunia and vice versa was quite fun. Finding ways to include canon information, while inventing completely new plot details, was very entertaining. And because of their short length, it made it easier to keep track of what was going on in them and not get tripped up over plot details. Well, almost.

- Verity Weasley, Oct 9, 2009 2:22 am: The last story was fun, and it would be easy to pick it up and continue the series of letters at another time.

- mona amon, Oct 9, 2009 3:39 am: The last story was great fun. I was a bit disappointed when I woke up in the morning to find the story already completed and the thread closed, but utterly delighted to find that Freckles had somehow morphed into Chrysanthemum while I was sleeping. ROFL!

P.S. Great title for the last story, PAH, as usual!

- Julia H., Oct 9, 2009 4:18 am: The last story was fun to write. Lily seems to be better at structuring her letters than Tuney.

Great title!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Potty Game: Five Words, Happy Birthday! Year 4

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:58 pm

This post was originally made by Potteraholic - Oct 9, 2009 1:08 am (#1781 of 2999)

Potty Game: Five Words!

Five Words is four years old today! It happens some time on October 9, 2005, even though the first ever Five Words post, written by the thread’s creator and Compiler Emeritus, Finn BV, clocks in on October 10, 2005, 2:17 am. The time discrepancy is due to the fact that the Forum clock has changed at various times over the past four years, recalibrating the time stamps on many posts here. Note: All the anniversary smileys are care of Finn, from his previous anniversary messages. Just wanted to keep the anniversary post looking somewhat the same! Smile

The following are the words of the inimitable Finn and can be found in these three previous anniversary messages: Year 1, Year 2 1/2, and Year 3.

Since our existence, we have had dozens of members of the Harry Potter Lexicon FanFiction Forum partake in this simple yet endlessly enjoyable game. In the game, there are no boundaries, save that you must add five words, no more and no less (though there are always mistakes), to your post that continue the story told through other members' five words. Strung together, the five words will make a much, much longer story.

Please take some time to reminisce about the history of the Five Words from our 1-year birthday celebration of October 9, 2006. This little tidbit, once again, is STILL true, to the best of my knowledge… : We invented the "Potty Five Words Crown," given to the poster who held the record for most number of posts in a story; the crown, I believe, is still currently retained by Tazzygirl (Kristina), with a thrilling 176 posts in the story "Just Another Week at the Ministry" on April 23, 2006.

—Finn BV, October 10, 2008, 4:08 a.m.

I started playing Five Words nearly 2 years ago and am so glad that Finn started this thread way back in October 2005. I wish I had been here from the start, but am happy to have found this thread in November 2007. I have had so much fun playing this game over the past 2 years, participating in the creation of some truly entertaining and amazing stories which have delved into all corners of the HP universe. In January 2008, I started helping out Finn and Tazzygirl with compiling some of the stories and posting the official stories and statistics online. Compiling a story involves typing it up, checking it for grammatical and spelling errors, counting its words, tallying its statistics, and formatting it correctly. In the summer of 2008, while I was abroad for much of the summer, PatPat came on board, helping out with the various compiling duties, as Finn and Tazzygirl's schedules made it difficult for them to participate in and monitor the thread as frequently as they had done in the past. In October of 2008, Finn "formally pass[ed] over reins of the thread" to me and it was around this time that Kip asked PatPat and me to become Hosts on the FFF.

PatPat has been an invaluable help here on Five Words. I can't imagine the past year of Five Words without her sage advice and thoughtful feedback about various changes introduced last year. And, of course, I must thank Kip Carter for all his kind support through the years I have been a Five Worder. Thanks, Kip, for always updating the header whenever I put in a request in the 'Questions to the Host' thread, for making many edits to my posts as requested, and for thinking that I was *gulp* Moderator/Host material.

And now, as we reach the fourth year of Five Words, traditions calls for us to play ultimate Five Words. What's that, you ask? For this entire story, instead of posting the customary five words, we get to play more words! How 'bout we post... TWELVE WORDS! That's right! Why 12 words? Well, when I think of this beloved series written by JKR, I always think of a trio: HRH, HDS (Harry, Dumbledore, Snape), HSV (Harry, Snape Voldemort), ... the list goes on. And then, this is the 4th anniversary of Five Words. So 3 x 4 = 12. See? Very Happy

In the past, we've gotten to play 10 words and 15 words. We couldn't just keep going at that rate, could we? Imagine 20 (25, 30, 35...) words at a time? Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 793915934 Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 464751818

* "My advice to all that we keep this story slightly on the short side in terms of posts, because it's going to get almost three times as long in the same amount of time. Think of everything you can do with twelve words! The possibilities to extend an idea are endless. But, please, before, hitting "Post Message," count your words to see if they add up to twelve. Please double check. It will help.

Let the festivities begin, and thank you for staying by Five Words!" *

* NOTE: This last paragraph borrowed heavily from Finn’s message written on October 10, 2008, 4:08 a.m.

—Potteraholic, Oct 9, 2009 1:08 am

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #115

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:00 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Oct 26, 2009 6:45 am (#1976 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

FW - Year 4!  

Potty Five Words: "The 3 Ds: Dursleys, Dementors, and Dinner"

"Harry! Dudley’s sent you a letter!" Ginny called from the front door. She waved once more to the Muggle postman, then turned and headed back inside.

Harry hurried downstairs. "Where is he now? Last week, he told me he'd be coming to London on business. Maybe we should invite him to tea! It's been ages since we last met and I'd like to hear more about how he's coping with the magical relatives he's acquired." Harry and Ginny smiled reminiscently. About a year ago Dudley had invited them to his wedding, where a most startling revelation had occurred. It seemed that Dudley's new bride, Gertrude, had magic in her family. Dudley had taken the news much better than his parents and it had brought him and Harry a little closer.

"What does Dudley have to say?" Ginny asked, following Harry into the living room.

But Harry had just begun reading Dudley's letter, and slowly his face clouded over. "He's invited us out to dinner, with Gertrude... and his aunt. It seems there is some sort of problem which they think we can help them with."

"His aunt? That horrible woman, Aunt Marge?" Ginny exclaimed. "The one you—"

"No," Harry interrupted. "It's really Gertrude's aunt, Greta. Anyway, Dudley's pretty vague here, I'm not entirely sure what the problems is... Well, I suppose we'll find out tomorrow when we meet the in this Muggle restaurant called—"

"Why don't we invite them here?" Ginny asked. "Mum and Dad are busy tomorrow night, and won't be able to look after the children. And Dudley has never been to our house before."

"You're right," said Harry. "I'll send him an owl, asking him to come here instead."

"That's settled then," Ginny said. "I'll go ask Kreacher what he thinks we should serve for dinner." Ginny hurried away to the kitchen, leaving Harry looking thoughtful. What could Dudley's problem be? he wondered. After writing a response to Dudley, he summoned Zephyr, the family owl, and sent the message on its way.

The following evening, all five Potters were assembled in the living room, waiting for their visitors. Kreacher was hovering near the front door, anxious to make a good impression. His spotlessly clean white toga gleamed in the dim light spilling from the kitchen. The instant the doorbell rang, Kreacher sprang forward to open the door. Dudley and Gertrude stood on the doorstep.

"Welcome to the House of Potter," croaked Kreacher as he bowed deferentially to them.

Harry and Ginny went over to greet them and Gertrude’s Aunt Greta. "Won't you come in and sit down?" Ginny offered warmly. They all settled themselves in the comfy chairs in the living room, while Kreacher bustled in with a tray of tea and cookies. They ate in silence, Dudley tapping his foot nervously, while Gertrude and Greta looked about the room.

"You have a lovely house," Greta began.

"Er, Harry," Dudley interjected. "Perhaps you could give us a tour." He flicked his eyes meaningfully toward the children, who were gaping at the guests with undisguised curiosity.

"Yes," Greta agreed. "I'd love to see it, Harry."

"Yes, of course," Harry answered. "I'll show you around the house, and then we can have dinner." He proceeded to the door, followed by Dudley, Gertrude, and Greta. Ginny ushered the children upstairs, indicating to Harry that she would join them shortly.

But no sooner had they reached the garden than Dudley turned to Harry and said, "We've got a very serious problem. I think you are the only one who can solve it. Remember those Dementors? From years back? Aunt Greta wonders if any still exist… if they could… maybe… still be floating around somewhere? In England? Or abroad?"

"Harry, let me explain," Aunt Greta said. "Last Thursday, I was returning home after attending the Shropshire Cheese Society's annual convention, flying on my broomstick just above the Muggle neighborhood near my home."

"Hello again," said Ginny, rejoining the group. Greta filled her in on everything she had missed, while Harry waited impatiently. "What happened next?" Ginny prompted, sensing Harry's eagerness to hear more.

"As I began making my descent into the woods that border my back garden, I thought I saw a dark shape moving among the trees. It was unsettling. It filled me with such dread... I immediately Apparated... in mid-air!"

"Did you feel cold, or feel that you would never be happy again?" Ginny asked.

"Did you tell anyone at the Ministry of Magic?" asked Harry.

"Not yet. This is why Dudley suggested I come to you first, to see if I should," explained Greta anxiously. "I hope I'm not wasting your time with my concerns!"

"I'm glad you came," Harry replied. "And the answer to Ginny's question... what is it? It would really help me to determine if it was truly a Dementor, or... something else."

Greta nodded. "Dudley told me about what happened when you both got attacked all those years ago. It felt like I was out on a cold winter's day, that warm July afternoon, and that all happy thoughts and good feelings were being drained out of me." She shuddered at the memory. Harry and Ginny exchanged meaningful glances.

"That certainly sounds like a Dementor," said Harry. "I'm glad you were able to get away and tell me your story. I will certainly notify the Ministry. After the war, all Dementors were magically banished to an uninhabited island far from humans and they were prevented from leaving."

"A team of witches and wizards worked together creating a powerful spell that fed them an equivalent of human emotion so that they didn't want to leave," explained Ginny. After catching her breath, she said, "It must need to be strengthened or renewed. The consequences of it not working? They won't be good, that's for sure."

Gertrude looked alarmed. "Shouldn't something be done immediately? Dudley's been a nervous wreck ever since Aunt Greta told us what happened." She looked from one to the other, stretched out her hand, took Dudley's in hers, and squeezed it gently.

Harry found it odd that a Dementor could leave the island without someone from the Ministry noticing. He had helped to design the protective spell himself, along with Hermione, Padma, and a few others. That spell couldn't have weakened by itself, he thought. Was it possible that someone had intentionally removed it, allowing the Dementors to return to Britain? But who'd do that? Seeing Gertrude's worried expresssion, Harry said, "I'll notify the Ministry immediately. We're very efficient now, and I'm sure we'll solve the problem very quickly. There is probably nothing to worry about. I’d surely have heard something from Hermione by now if there was. Now how about some dinner?"

"Are you sure there's nothing to worry about?" Greta asked.

"I will personally check it myself to ensure that there is nothing the Department of Dementor Control can't handle," Harry assured her. "Now, let's go back inside. There's nothing much to see in the garden as everything is overgrown and the children de-gnomed it before you came."

"Yes," Ginny agreed. "Kreacher has really outdone himself and prepared a wonderful feast with a wide choice of dishes including Dudley's all time favorite, Beef Wellington."

"Beef Wellie?" Dudley exclaimed. "Perfect!" All thoughts of Dementors disappeared from his mind as he pictured the tender beef. "Come on, let's go inside, everyone!" He smiled and urged the others ahead, then turned back towards the house and quickly went inside.

As they entered, Kreacher cheerfully announced, "Dinner is served!"

James, Albus, and Lily Potter were sitting at the table already. James wore a slightly guilty expression, and it was clear that he had helped himself to a morsel from one of the three very delicious-looking cakes waiting to be served as dessert on the nearby sideboard.

"James, remember what I told you," Ginny cautioned her eldest son, who looked increasingly uncomfortable as Kreacher let out a small squeak of dismay. However, no one said anything more about it. Everyone soon became busy passing around the serving dishes.

"Dudley, would you like some gravy with your beef?" said Lily, passing him the gravy boat.

"Thank you," said Dudley, enthusiastically. "Like I always tell Mum, the gravy's the best part. And that reminds me of a very funny story." He turned to Gertrude. "Do you remember, Trudie?" he asked. "That time... my parents were at ours for lunch? Your Uncle Elfred dropped by and mentioned that he found hundreds of dead puffyskins in the cupboard under the stairs. Remember?"

"Dudley, dear, it's puffskeins," Gertrude smiled. "You're nearly as bad as your father! He turned purple when I told him that it was flobberworms eating all your mum's lettuce, not flabbyworms."

"Yes he didn't seem overly pleased to be told that!" said Dudley chuckling heartily. "And Mum certainly didn't want to hear about flobberworms in the garden. I think she wanted to get the exterminators in to wipe out the whole lot."

"Anyway," Gertrude reminded Dudley. "Dear Uncle Elfred told your dad that puffskeins pick children's noses and drink toilet water, and offered to get him one for a pet."

"Dad looked like he had swallowed a particularly hairy caterpillar!" Dudley reminisced, "And Mum started and knocked over her wine glass!"

"It was the finest elf-made wine. Anyway, your mum looked really pale and unsteady on her feet and she didn't start cleaning up the spill right away," Gertrude explained. "But she seemed just a little envious when Uncle Elfred siphoned it up with his wand."

Dudley nodded in agreement. "I think she'd almost wished she could do magic herself."

"Really?" asked Harry incredulously. "I can't imagine why! She was horrible to me, and my mum, because we were magical! Puffskeins in a cupboard under the stairs are nothing, believe me, in comparison to being locked in for doing magic you can't control." Harry's words brought the dinner chatter to a stop.

"Sorry, Harry," Dudley murmured, a look of anguish spreading over his face as the realization of the torment Harry had suffered at the hands of his parents took effect. His eyes filled with tears, and he sickened at the thought.

"I know you're sorry, mate," Harry replied softly, with a kind smile, "and I'm glad you and I could become friends, in spite of your parents' prejudice against magic and the despicable treatment that I received from them. Think about it, Dudley. Their prejudices kept us from becoming childhood friends... and we could have grown up as brothers!"

Harry looked at Dudley, then turned his gaze to James and Albus. They were following the conversation with interest, forks suspended in mid-air, food temporarily left untouched. Harry knew that despite their frequent fights and petty jealousies they were very fond of each other, and he was filled with joy and fatherly pride at the thought that their childhood was so much happier and more loving and secure than his own had been.

The momentary silence was broken by a strange hiccupping sound. "I wish Mum'd spoken properly to you that day," Dudley began.

"What day?" Ginny asked, looking slightly bewildered.

"W-well," stuttered Dudley, trying in vain to hide the tears spilling from the corners of his eyes, "the d-day Harry left our home forever. If only Mum had said something! I know now, that she wishes she had."

"What did Auntie Petunia want to tell Daddy?" asked Lily curiously.

"She wanted to wish him luck," Dudley replied earnestly. "She just couldn't bring herself to say it. It was a step too far for her given the circumstances at the time."

"Maybe she can wish Daddy good luck now?" Lily suggested. "It might make her feel better. Would you like that, Daddy?"

Harry was so stunned that his ability to verbalize what he felt temporarily left him speechless. He looked at Ginny, who shrugged and nodded encouragingly at him.

"That's quite a nice suggestion, Lily. Perhaps it could bring us all together," Dudley said quietly.

"I agree," Ginny said. "There was a falling-out with my older brother, Percy, which resulted in my family not speaking to him for a few years. But after we talked, things improved significantly and eventually returned to almost how they were before the argument."

"I've got an idea," Gertrude said, excitedly. "Have dinner at our place next Saturday evening! It's our anniversary, and it's about time your mum and dad saw our new place" she said turning to Dudley.

"Trudie, that's brilliant!" Dudley exclaimed.

"So your mum can taste my cooking again and realize that you’re not starving to death."

Harry cleared his throat. "Gertrude, Dudley, I appreciate your efforts at bringing about a reconciliation. However, I'm not sure if I'm ready for this. I don't want to force things. I'm sure Aunt Petunia will let me know on her own when she's ready for a reconciliation. After all, just admitting that she thinks she should have wished me luck is an enormous mindshift."

No one spoke for a few minutes. Then Albus said, "Dad, I think you're quite right. But let's go to Dudley's for dinner anyway since you are friends now. I would really like to see their house. Uncle Ron says they have something called a fellytone, which lets you hear what other people are shouting to you from really far away. Do they not have owl post or howlers when they are..." Albus paused. "Anyway, Dad, you're always reminding us about our choices, right?"

Harry smiled at this gentle remonstration from his son, reminded of another Albus he knew and loved many years before. "You're right, Albus."

Nodding, Albus looked around at the assembled throng. "I knew you'd make the right choice, Dad," he said, his eyes shining. "Uncle Dudley is family because he wanted to be, right? Auntie Petunia's got to make the same choice."

"Yes, Albus Severus," Harry replied. "She'll get her second chance."

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #115 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:12 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Oct 26, 2009 6:46 am (#1977 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

FW - Year 4!  

Statistics for Story 115

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic     66
  Verity Weasley    26
  mona amon   27
  Julia H.   28
  Finn BV     3
  freshwater   3
  legolas returns   32
  Solitaire   8

Total Submissions: 193
Total Words: 2316
Last Submission Date: #1974, Oct 24, 2009, 8:59 am (Julia H.)
Total Time to Create Story: 15 days, 7 hours, and 51 minutes

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #115 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:14 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:07 am (#2947 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

FW - Year 4!  

Post-Story Comments for Story #115, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "The 3 Ds: Dursleys, Dementors, and Dinner"

This story was written from October 9, 2009 to October 24, 2009. Eight writers contributed to the story, which is 2,316 words long. Five of the eight writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Oct 26, 2009 7:00 am: This story had some twists and turns, as befits one that is more than 2300 words long, but I think it holds together well enough. Perhaps there was just a wee too much going on? I just wish we got to hear more conversation, from more people — some Muggle and Wizard/Witch interaction — around the dinner table, including some 'Kreacherisms'. Maybe another time!

- legolas returns, Oct 26, 2009 5:39 pm: I am glad that Harry has been instilling the value of choices to his children. The ending was sweet. Perhaps the sudden jump from Dementors to food and then forgetting about the Dementors was a little bit strange. Perhaps Dudley can only think about one thing at a time.

- Julia H., Oct 26, 2009 5:52 pm: LOL, Legolas! Yes, Dudley was supposed to be awfully scared at the beginning, but mention dinner, and all his troubles are forgotten.

Perhaps it took us a bit long to decide what the story would be about. (That's why 12 words are tricky...) I think that is why we did not very much exploit the opportunities provided by Muggles, wizards and a house elf being all in one place. Still, the story was fun to write. The sudden changes in the plot were really "five-wordish", so perhaps that's not a problem here. Very good title! LOL!

On the other hand, I'm sorry that we never found out what kind of cakes Kreacher made.

- Verity Weasley, Oct 27, 2009 3:10 am: I agree with previous posters about the last story. It turned out quite well, and the ending was sweet, but I think we could have made more of the opportunity. I would have liked to have seen around 12 Grimmauld Place now that the Potters call it home, and some more 'Muggle in a wizard house' type action. I also think we have all been awfully forgiving of Dudley. If you have a definite idea of where the story is going, then 12 words can be great, but otherwise, it can be much harder than posting only 5 at a time. The dialogue around the table was good, but the problem, and the 'dealing' with it, felt a bit rushed.

- mona amon, Oct 27, 2009 11:21 am: The previous story was quite good. Maybe a bit more of #12 GP and Kreacher would have been nice. Albus Potter was a bit too preachy for me. For once I found the cake-stealing little James more appealing.

Great title as always, PAH. And very pretty pumpkins!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #116

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:18 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 23, 2009 11:48 am (#2379 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o ecco.com.blogspot
Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Ft023_pumpkin15_l

Potty Five Words: "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible"

Neville opened the greenhouse door very quietly. It was dark, but he wanted to check on the Mandrakes, even though he knew that they would probably be covered up. The cold chilled him to the bone. Neville wished he had worn the red and gold scarf his Gran had ordered specially from Madame Malkin's Robes for All Occasions to mark his return to school. It had been Neville's favorite scarf ever since.

Adjusting to the dim wandlight, he carefully slipped into the deserted greenhouse, and went carefully past the sprouting Venomous Tentacula. Its spiky dark red flowers and faintly rattling seedpods fascinated him, but he didn't stop to look because he didn't fancy getting bitten again.

Holding his wand out so its light could shine directly ahead, he made his way toward the room where the Mandrakes were. A pair of earmuffs lay on the floor among the pots of Fanged Geraniums. As Neville reached down to pick up the fluffy muffs he stiffened as he suddenly noticed something very unusual: two sets of muddy footprints that led off towards the Mandrakes. "Hominum revelio," Neville whispered as he took his wand and pointed it, quickly, at the area behind the plants.

The Creevey brothers, Colin and Dennis, stepped out looking excited. "Neville!" Dennis crowed. "I'm glad it's you! For a moment, I thought it was Snape and was afraid we were Blast-Ended Skrewt food!"

"But what are you two doing here?" Neville asked incredulously.

"Well, we wanted to have a look at Dumbledore's tomb and put some flowers on it," replied Colin, showing a battered bouquet of oddly shaped blossoms to an astonished Neville.

"We picked puffapods," Dennis said proudly. "They are wonderful plants, don't you agree?"

"Yes, I think Dumbledore would've liked them," Neville answered quietly.

"What are you doing here?" Colin asked Neville. "It's dangerous to be out alone after dark."

"I was thinking that I should check on the Mandrakes," Neville explained. "But, tell me, how'd you get down here without getting caught?"

Colin winked and said, "We learnt a few things from following Harry and Ron around. But I wish we had an invisibility cloak. We almost got spotted by the Carrows as we were walking past the Great Hall."

Neville couldn't imagine how they were all going to return without trouble. Taking the puffapods to Dumbledore's grave would be risky. "We could ask Peeves for help," Neville suggested. "But first, I need to check on those Mandrakes."

The three of them continued to the far end of the greenhouse, where the Mandrakes were kept. Donning a pair of earmuffs each, they entered the room and froze in surprise as they saw a most unusual sight: Professor Slughorn polishing the leaves of the Mandrakes with a white cloth. He looked up with a start, and almost dropped the cloth.

"Merlin's beard!" he exclaimed. "What are you three doing here? And take those ridiculous things off!" He pointed to their earmuffs, saying, "The Mandrakes won't hurt you while they're in their pots. Surely you know that, Mr. Longbottom?"

"My ears were cold," said Neville, after removing the earmuffs.

"In a greenhouse?" Professor Slughorn asked. "Three Gryffindors? After dark? What are you up to? If you're found by the Carrows you will be severely punished," he said, frowning. "I wouldn't wish that on anyone."

"Thanks for your concern, Professor," said Neville. "I just had to check that the Mandrakes are safe and secure. They are rather rare and valuable, aren't they, Professor?"

Slughorn looked a little sheepish as he folded his arms across his huge belly and sighed. "True," he said. "The leaves are priceless on the black market, and in these troubled times a few extra Galleons would certainly help, wouldn't they?"

Slughorn's eyes scrutinized the three boys standing in front of him. "What do you know about the uses of Mandrake leaves? Everyone knows about the roots but do you know that carefully tended, top quality leaves, especially the darker purplish ones, are so highly prized throughout our world?"

"Why, Sir?" asked Colin breathlessly.

"They are used in making the antidote for poisonous snake bites that would otherwise prove lethal, like from the snake belonging to You-Know-Who himself, which bit Mr. Weasley. Remember?"

Neville nodded and swallowed hard. He remembered what happened during his fifth year just before Christmas. His suspicion concerning Slughorn was alleviated a bit. Just to be sure, he decided to test the waters with an obvious trap. "Professor, will you be taking some of the leaves with you, back to your office?"

Slughorn pondered what Neville had meant by that. "Taking the leaves at this early stage of growth would harm these delicate plants, as you know, Longbottom, and the time may come when they'll be needed to save lives."

Neville blinked in surprise. After all, Slughorn was a Slytherin, and Slytherins were not noted for their concern for others.

Slughorn put the polishing cloth away. "Longbottom, what exactly brings you here at this time of the night? And for October, quite a chilly one, too..."

Neville beckoned to the Creevey brothers, who immediately stepped closer to him as they wanted to hear every word of his explanation. Leaning forward, they held their breath while Neville began to speak.

"I had a hunch that these Mandrakes could prove useful in our fight against the Death Eaters. If I can hide a few, we may be able to have some ready in case of an attack."

Colin's eyes narrowed. "How would the Mandrakes help us fight Death Eaters?"

"The cry of the Mandrake can prove fatal," Neville reminded Colin. "We could use that advantage, if Voldemort mounts an attack here. And the roots could be used to help those who'd been hit by curses."

Slughorn was nodding in agreement, impressed by Neville's farsightedness. "We just need to make sure you don't forget your earmuffs," he said.

"So are we going to hide one of the Mandrakes?" Dennis suggested, grinning broadly. "Where should we hide it?"

"I've already thought of the perfect place," whispered Neville, rubbing his hands together, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

"Really, Longbottom? Do tell," Slughorn coaxed.

Neville hesitated. Could he really trust Slughorn? He was evidently on their side, but what if someone else appealed to his opportunistic side? Would he be able to resist? But, it could be useful to have a teacher on their side as they would be less constrained by the Carrows' new regulations.

"I thought we could hide them in the Room of Requirement," said Neville, "and it could become a hideout, or 'safe house', for DA members."

"With a mini-greenhouse?" said Dennis in a breathless voice, his eyes alight with anticipation.

"What about these puffapods?" asked Colin. "I really want to put some on Dumbledore's grave."

"Well, you'd better do it quickly," Slughorn advised. "The doors will be locked in half an hour, and you don't want to be caught outside after curfew. The Carrows are not to be trifled with."

"Take a Mandrake each, and don't let their roots get exposed," cautioned Neville, reaching for a large potted Mandrake and hiding it under his cloak. "We need to get out of here, and fast!"

Neville led the way out of the greenhouse, and soon the four of them were heading towards the white tomb, thankful for the cover of darkness and the long shadows.

Presently they saw the gleaming white marble tomb up ahead against the dark background of the lake, and were soon standing before it.

Slughorn looked as if he might start to head back to the castle... but he didn't. Instead, he watched, silent and motionless and seemed deep in thought. His eyes glistened with emotions, which he quickly wiped away when Colin carefully placed the puffapods at the foot of the tomb. He then turned to Dennis and said, "You had better get yourself—"

"Shhh! Someone's coming!" Neville whispered in a panicked voice and all four wizards immediately fell silent. Slughorn acted quickly and Disillusioned the boys and they immediately blended in with the surroundings. Slughorn didn't have time to hide the flowers before he saw Hagrid and Fang approaching.

"Oh, it's only you." Slughorn sighed with relief. "I'll be on my way, then," and he was about to undo the Disillusionment Charm that he had cast on the boys, when the unmistakable voice of Amycus Carrow sounded behind him.

"Slughorn!" Amycus bellowed. "What's going on 'ere? Why are you out 'ere at this hour?" There was a vicious sneer playing around his lips.

"I-I-I... needed some potion ingredient," stammered Slughorn, trying to keep his voice level. "There's a patch of knotgrass somewhere here."

"Knotgrass? At this time of the year?"

The Death Eater advanced menacingly towards Slughorn, who looked a bit queasy. Suddenly, he caught sight of the bouquet of puffapods propped up against the tomb.

"What are they doin' 'ere?" growled Amycus. He grabbed the puffapods and flung them into the bushes and then poked his wand in Slughorn's face.

"Payin' yer respects, I see," he said, with scorn.

"That's right," Hagrid growled from the shadows, causing both Slughorn and Amycus to jump back a step in surprise. "Yer got a problem with me askin' Professor—"

Hagrid stopped abruptly as a clod of earth flew past him and landed on Amycus's head, showering him with dirt.

Amycus looked a little bit dumbstruck and turned around to see where the missile had come from. Fortunately, the shadows hid the three Disillusioned kids, and since neither Hagrid nor Slughorn knew exactly where Neville and the Creeveys were by this time, they stood by, hoping Amycus would give up quickly and go back to the castle. But he stomped off into the bushes instead.

Slughorn acted swiftly. "Quick, you three," he said removing the Charm, "get back to your dormitory as fast as you can and go straight to bed."

"Merlin's pants!" Hagrid cried when the three boys appeared before him. "Yeh've been here the whole time? So that's where tha' bit o' mud came from!" With a broad grin he whispered, "Off yeh go!"

As the three Gryffindors made their way back, the Mandrakes bulging visibly under their cloaks, Slughorn and Hagrid stood guard in case Amycus should return. Between them, they figured they could keep him occupied, giving the boys enough time to reach the castle. The puffapods that had fallen around the grave had burst into bloom, their large petals glowing in the moonlight like the floating candles in the Great Hall.

"I can't see them anymore," said Slughorn, squinting into the darkness, "I think they must be back at the castle by now."

As he said this, Amycus returned with the Headmaster at his heels. Snape looked at the scene around him, his eyes flashing dangerously. "Well, Amycus, what did you want to show me?" he demanded, staring at the burgeoning puffapods with inscrutable face for a few moments.

The silence stretched out, becoming uncomfortable.

"Memorializing Dumbledore is expressly against the Dark Lord's orders," Amycus said pointedly.

"Who dropped these puffapods?" Snape burst out angrily.

"I put them on the tomb after my party for Harry," Hagrid said in a robust and hearty voice, causing Snape to clench his jaw. "Great man, Dumbledore! What would he say if he could see Hogwarts now, with the likes of you Death Eaters in charge? Criminals, more like!" he snorted in disdain. He looked back at Hogwarts, and said, "I'd have never believed it, Hogwarts in You-Know-Who's control. Unnatural..."

"You would be wise to keep your opinions to yourself," said Snape coldly. "Your duties can of course be carried out by Professor Grubbly-Plank. Again."

"I promised Professor Dumbledore I'd keep the kids safe," Hagrid growled.

"Be careful then," Snape advised.

"We will," said Slughorn, solemnly.

"Come," said Snape to Amycus. "I'll deal with these two later."

He turned and quickly walked away, his robes billowing angrily as he went.

This story was later revised in Volume XII, and can be found here.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #116 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:19 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 23, 2009 11:49 am (#2380 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 116

User
  # of Submissions  
  legolas returns   61
  Julia H.   59
  Potteraholic     116
  Verity Weasley     47
  mona amon   61
  Solitaire   53
  John Bumbledore   3

Total Submissions: 398
Total Words: 1990
Last Submission Date: #2377, Nov 22, 2009, 6:42 pm (Julia H.)
Total Time to Create Story: 27 days, 1 hour, and 3 minutes

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #116 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:21 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:07 am (#2948 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #116, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible"

This story was written from October 26, 2009 to November 22, 2009. Seven writers contributed to the story, which is 1,990 words long. Four of the seven writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Nov 23, 2009 11:49 am: It took almost a month to write and was another long one, too, at nearly 2,000 words. I think it's hard to keep the momentum going on these longer stories when there are less people posting less frequently. I think the story worked out well enough, but I would've liked to have ended with Neville, somehow, since the story started with him.

- legolas returns, Nov 23, 2009 5:08 pm: I don't actually mind that it does not finish on Neville. I think it ends menacingly enough on Snape saying that he is going to deal with Hagrid and Slughorn later.

- mona amon, Nov 24, 2009 2:59 am: I just read the previous story, and I think it turned out quite well. I too feel it should have ended with Neville. It seemed to change direction in the end. But on the whole it was good!

- Verity Weasley, Nov 24, 2009 11:38 am: The previous story was OK. It did feel a little rushed at the end, and there were a few awkward moments, such as when Slughorn looked like he was going back to the castle, but didn't. Amycus wasn't quite menacing enough really, conveniently disappearing off into the bushes when he did. But given our post constraints, I think we did quite well.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #117

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:25 am

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Dec 16, 2009 10:31 pm (#2585 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o www.harrypotterrealm.com
Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Harrymelling2

Potty Five Words: "A Birthday… Surprise!"

Gertrude and Dudley's son, Simon was ensconced in the living room, on the big red sofa. He was reading a book with colorful pictures of cheese from around the world called Cheeses Here and Cheeses There: Cheeses, Cheeses, Everywhere! It had no words in it, but the toddler seemed captivated by the pictures, which moved when he poked them. He squealed in a delighted fashion and called out, "Da-da, Da-da!"

Dudley was bustling about, getting things ready for Simon's first birthday party. The balloons were hanging all around the room. "What's it that you're trying to show Daddy?" he cooed walking to the sofa. "Tell Daddy what you've got? Let Daddy see. Oh, you've got Auntie Greta's present!" He sat down next to his son, ruffling his hair. He bent down to look at the book.

"Da-da!" Simon grinned, pointing at an Edam cheese, "Ball!"

Shock, then panic, filled Dudley's mind as he realized exactly what this meant. His son must be magical! "Gertrude! Simon was pointing at a moving picture. He said its name and it just moved!"

Gertrude looked up from her baking with a smile. "Oh, he's just a little parrot," she smiled. "I was reading that book to him after breakfast this morning. Auntie Greta said that the pictures would only move when touched." She walked over from the counter and joined Simon and Dudley on the sofa.

"I think perhaps we should put it away until after the party," Dudley cautioned. "Dad'll throw a fit if he sees anything that seems remotely magical."

"You're probably right," agreed Gertrude, "Although if he really is a wizard, they'll have to know sooner or later. We can't hide it forever. For now, though, let's get on with the party preparations." A few hours from now, Vernon and Petunia would be arriving, and Gertrude wanted everything to be perfect.

Later that day, the doorbell rang. Simon raced excitedly toward the door, but stumbled, his little legs unsteady. Dudley opened the door, and there stood his mum and dad. Soon the house was filled with shrill cries of "Come to Gran-Gran, my little sweet-sweet." Petunia picked Simon up and gave him a hug.

Vernon cuffed him on the chin and bounced him on his knee. "That's my boy," he chortled. Simon wriggled and squealed. Fortunately, the doorbell rang again and Gertrude's Uncle Elfred entered, a large present in hand, followed soon after by Aunt Greta and Gertrude's parents.

"Has everybody met each other before? I met you two at the wedding!" boomed Greta enthusiastically, turning to the Dursleys.

"Yes," Petunia replied caustically, "I'll never forget that interesting dress you wore."

Greta's face lit up. "Did you like it? It was made especially, by Madame Malkin, for the occasion."

Petunia couldn't decide exactly what to say. Elfred saved her the trouble by choosing that moment to send rainbow-colored sparks into the air. Little Simon squealed with delight and clapped his hands as the sparks flew in multiple directions and criss-crossed just above his head. Vernon looked horror-struck, while Petunia looked firmly in the other direction. Suddenly, the fizzling embers transformed into a flock of multi-colored butterflies.

"Stop that nonsense at once!" cried Vernon furiously. "My grandson must not be subjected to the influence of this perverse behavior... this abnormality!"

"Dad! That's utterly unfair and very rude. He's only doing magic!" Dudley said in a forceful voice. Just then, Vernon's tie flew up into his large face and began slapping him, playfully.

"Elfred, please," Greta said uncomfortably. "Stop moving Mr. Dursley's tie!"

"I'm not doing that!" Elfred said, changing a snort into a cough. The assembled adults all looked puzzled and shrugged... except for Uncle Vernon, who turned purple in the face. The vein in his temple throbbed. His jaw was clenched. He looked like he was about to explode, when Simon giggled and pointed at Vernon's tie. He clapped his chubby hands and bounced up and down, mimicking the action of the errant accessory.

"Simon?" Gertrude spluttered in a slightly higher voice. "What are you doing? Why are you mimicking what that tie's doing, my little darling?"

"He's the one who's doing it? Wonderful! Already showing magical prowess at such a tender age?" Elfred exclaimed excitedly.

"Preposterous!" Vernon bellowed. "He's just a baby!"

"Didn't something similar happen with Harry when he was about that age? I remember Aunt Marge's handkerchief story..." Dudley trailed off, looking at his parents. "She was trying to pick it up and it kept blowing across the room, down the stairs and she thought it was caused by the breeze. But Harry had just been annoying her."

"He was crying," Petunia added, "because she passed unkind comments about his hair. She waved the handkerchief at him to tell him to stop blubbering, but that was when it flew out of her hand."

"I remember other things, too," Dudley exclaimed. "That jumper! The one that kept shrinking when you tried to force it over his head! I remember poor Harry saying, 'It hurts!' And soon it was so small that it would only fit a very small infant."

Aunt Greta nodded, saying, "That makes sense. It's only natural that little Simon would be magical, since both his parents carry the gene."

"WHAT???" Vernon yelled, jumping up so fast that he knocked a small vase of flowers over. He turned to Petunia and said, "I married a freak gene carrier?"

"Dad! That's enough! Don't say that your grandson is a freak, or I'll have to ask you to leave and not come back until you've stopped judging Simon for something he can't control."

"And apologized, too!" said Gertrude in a trembling voice. "For ruining Simon's birthday party with your prejudiced comments."

Vernon blinked, then said, "Fine!" and stormed toward the front door.

"Petunia?"

"I'm staying," she mumbled. Suddenly the doorbell rang, just as Vernon jerked the door open.

"Er... hello," said Harry, who was standing on the doorstep with Ginny and the kids.

"Aarrgh!!!" cried Uncle Vernon, who looked like he was going to explode. "More freaks? I'm off! Goodbye!"

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #117 stats

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:31 am

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Dec 16, 2009 10:32 pm (#2586 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 117

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic     65
  mona amon   31
  legolas returns   38
  Verity Weasley     23
  Solitaire     26
  Julia H.   17

Total Submissions: 200
Total Words: 1,005*
Last Submission Date: #2584, Dec 15, 2009, 10:15 am (mona amon)
Total Time to Create Story: 21 days, 22 hours, and 26 minutes

* Note: In order to clarify a section of plot in the story, one post has 10 words instead of the usual 5. This explains the extra 5 words in the story, which would have contained 1,000 words with 200 posts.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #117 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:08 am (#2949 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #117, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: : "A Birthday… Surprise!"

This story was written from November 23, 2009 to December 15, 2009. Six writers contributed to the story, which is 1,005 words long. Four of the six writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Dec 16, 2009 10:34 pm: Story #117, the first tale of the Dursley Triumvirate, is up! As is true with most Five Words stories, there were some teeny-tiny hiccups along the way, but for the most part, I think we avoided inconsistencies and stayed true to character. I know some may find the ending a bit abrupt, but with only 415 posts left to fit in 2 more stories of 200 posts each, with some extra 'wiggle room' posts if we need them, sometimes a quick ending is necessary.

- mona amon, Dec 17, 2009 4:26 am: I agree. It turned out well despite the hiccups, which are probably what give a Five Words story its distinctive touch, anyway.

- Julia H., Dec 17, 2009 6:10 am: I think Vernon can be our major source of humour in these stories. Unlike this reformed Dudley, we have kept him in character.

I liked the sudden appearance of the Potters at the end of the last story.

- mona amon, Dec 17, 2009 11:19 am: I liked that too, Julia.

- Verity Weasley, Dec 17, 2009 1:52 pm: I liked the previous story. Abrupt endings can sometimes be very effective, especially in a short story format. It was an interesting slice of life at the new Dursley home.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:43 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #118

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:41 am

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Jan 1, 2010 5:58 pm (#2788 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o kvitters.com
Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 PetuniaDursley

Potty Five Words: "Owl Post!"

Simon Dursley was playing checkers with his Gran Petunia. His Grandpa Vernon sat watching him as though he were a ticking bomb, likely to explode at any moment. It was midway through summer break and Petunia and Vernon were visiting for Dudley's birthday. They were drinking tea and having some leftover birthday cake and jelly with ice cream.

"Gran, this is cool, particularly the mandarin orange slices. Mum never makes me fun stuff like this!"

"What don't I ever make?" said Gertrude, frowning. "I thought you loved my cooking?"

Simon hurriedly looked up, saying, "Oh, Mum! I do love it, but Gran's food is always like holidays... different and special!" Petunia's thin face glowed with pride and satisfaction that her grandson enjoyed her cooking so much. It made her feel happy, especially since Dudley didn't eat many of her desserts anymore. Ever since his marriage, he had become more health conscious.

"So, Dudley," Vernon began, "where are you thinking of sending young Simon? Smeltings, of course, is an excellent school. I presume you'll be—"

"Dad there are other schools besides Smeltings… schools that will help mold Simon better. As you know, we've been exploring other options. We've even talked to Harry..." Dudley paused, looking warily at his father, expecting the worst.

"Harry?! What for?! Why speak to him?" sneered Vernon. "All his children went to that freak borstal that he attended. Why would you ask him anything about schooling for Simon? He's a Dursley, and all Dursley men go to Smeltings! It's a family tradition!" Vernon was breathing heavily and his face was turning purple. Dudley knew the warning signs and tried to change the subject to something that Vernon liked.

"We saw Aunt Marge last month and she seemed—"

"Don't try changing the subject!" growled Vernon. "I want an answer."

Dudley and Gertrude exchanged looks, and Gertrude began to speak. "Simon has been showing some unmistakable manifestations of early magic. He's clearly a wizard! Remember his first birthday party? That was only the start of his innate magical aptitude."

Vernon's face began to turn purple again and then deathly pale, for at that moment, a small, tawny owl zoomed in through the open window. Vernon stared at the yellow envelope, and Petunia whimpered.

Gertrude hurried over to the owl, unfastened the letter, and said, "It's from Hogwarts, Simon. It's addressed to you!"

Simon reached for it, as did Vernon. But Simon was faster and snatched it away.

"Dad, that's Simon's mail, not yours. He's got the right to open his own mail, after all. Just like Harry did, even though he was never allowed to that summer... when he was with us. I sometimes feel very guilty about—"

"Dad, Mom, Gran!" interrupted Simon, "Look at this! I've been invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when I go back to school after I finish up primary school."

"What? Give me that!" Vernon barked.

"No, Dad. I'll read it. You get so upset when the word 'magic' is mentioned. But Dad, you're going to have to grow up! Simon's a wizard. Deal with it as it won't go away."

Vernon sat in silence, unused to being given ultimatums.

Dudley nodded and said, "Right, now that that's settled, let's dig into that cake and—"

"Wait... what's been settled?" Petunia asked in a slightly bemused tone. "Will Simon be going to Hogwarts next year or is there some other alternative?"

"Yes, next year. His place is there, where he can reach his full magical potential. What's more, he won't be alone. It'll be Lily's last year, and she'll watch out for him."

Simon nodded eagerly and asked, "Can we send both letters right away?"

"Both?"

"One to Hogwarts, accepting their invitation. And one to Lily, telling her I'm a wizard, too," Simon explained.

"Oh, Simon, you don't need an owl! Just send a letter. That's what I did," Petunia said.

Dudley turned and goggled at her. But Vernon goggled even harder. What was she saying? This thought ran through Vernon's brain like a speeding locomotive. Was it possible that his wife's attitude to magic wasn't what it seemed? How could it be that she'd kept this a secret all these years.

"You received this sort of rubbish all those years ago?"

"No, Vernon. I wrote to Dumbledore. You see, I wanted to join Lily at Hogwarts, because I missed her."

"You did?" Dudley asked. "You never told me that. You only spoke ill of her and said you were glad that she—"

"Stop! Enough!" Petunia cried. "It's time you knew... I just wanted to do magic ... like Lily did! There!" Petunia sighed heavily, then looked away. A long silence followed her emotional confession.

Dudley was about to speak, but Vernon held up his hand and quickly said, "Petunia, we should probably get going. It's late and I've—"

"Grandpa! Gran! Don't leave yet!

"No, Mum, Dad..." Dudley began. "This is important. It's time we talked about the things that you've ignored."

Gertrude spoke up. "Simon's letter needs a reply," she reminded them. "And the owl's still standing here, waiting. Simon, it's your choice."

"Yes," Petunia added, "and it is important to be open-minded—"

"I will, Gran, and thanks for understanding. It'll be great to see Hogwarts and Lily, and learn more about magic and how to fly! Actually, Harry could teach me and—"

Chuckling, Gertrude said, "I guess we'd better send those letters off, my dear."

"Right-o, Trudie!" Dudley agreed, looking at Simon. "Ready, mate?" Simon nodded enthusiastically and threw his energies into writing his letters.

"Mum, thank you for telling us about you and Aunt Lily. I know it was hard for you. And Dad, I really hope you can set aside your feelings about magic ... or maybe reassess them, given Mum's change of heart."

Dudley thought he saw the slightest nod.

"Ready, Dad!" Simon announced, handing him the letters. After attaching both to the owl's leg, he opened the window, and the owl flew into the night, toward Hogwarts.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #118 stats

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 am

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Jan 1, 2010 6:02 pm (#2789 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o kvitters.com
Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 PetuniaDursley

Statistics for Story 118

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic     75
  mona amon   21
  Solitaire     68
  Julia H.   1
  Verity Weasley     7
  legolas returns     27
  azi   1

Total Submissions: 200
Total Words: 1,000
Last Submission Date: #2786, Dec 30, 2009, 4:47 am (Solitaire)
Total Time to Create Story: 13 days, 6 hours, and 13 minutes

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 14 Empty Re: Archive of Five Words Stories