HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archive of Five Words Stories

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XIII, Story #132 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:23 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Jan 1, 2011 9:23 am (#2112 of 2795) [Edited Jan 4, 2011 1:44 pm] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
www.thefamiliars.blogspot.com

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Crookshanks2

Post-Story Comments for Story #132, Volume XIII,
Potty Five Words: "The Chronicles of Crookshanks"

This story was written from December 12, 2010 to January 1, 2011. Nine writers contributed to the story, which is 1,120 words long. Four of the nine writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Jan 1, 2011 8:25 am: A few words about this story... I liked having a new format and genre. (Thanks, Mark! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508) I think it's good to mix things up a bit around these parts, from time to time, especially as over 100 Five Words Stories have been written. Keeps us on our toes. Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 464751818 And, now that the holidays are over, hopefully we'll see the 'us' who post here grow a bit in number? optimistic Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Writing from Crookshanks' POV was quite fun. Gleaning from JKR's descriptions of his actions and gestures from Book 3 onwards, we can definitely get a sense of his personality, and I think we fleshed him out and gave voice to him in a way that even JKR would approve, if she ever happened to come across this log. Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2222139670 I think we wrote an entertaining 'tail'. Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 464751818Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2281877974

If we were to ever write another one of Crookshanks' logs, or something similar for another character, the only suggestion I would make is to think carefully about time stamps: 1) they need to be updated frequently, and 2) they need to reflect a passage of time that fits the context/plot.

Just some of the parts I loved in this story:

0832: A GAME OF WIZARD CHESS BETWEEN HARRY AND RON BEGINS.

0836: RON WINS. I CHASE THE SHRIEKING PAWNS. HE YELLS SOMETHING ABOUT MERLIN AND UNDERWEAR Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 1003735042

- Verity Weasley, Jan 1, 2011 9:18 am: It was fun reading the finished story back all in one go. I agree that it was good to try something new, and I think we did a pretty good job of fleshing out Crookshanks' personality. I liked your finishing touch at the end PAH, and there were a couple of other comments I enjoyed that I didn't remember from when we wrote the story - I'm thinking particularly of the 'hairball'! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 1003735042 I was surprised to see the stats and see that nine writers participated in this story. It certainly felt like very much a two-horse race there at the end! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 464751818

- Potteraholic, Jan 2, 2011 6:08 am: So... folks, any answers to my earlier question: should we try to write another log again? It'd be great to hear your thoughts. Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

- azi, Jan 2, 2011 6:21 am: I don't mind what we do. Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

- Verity Weasley, Jan 2, 2011 9:32 am: I forgot to answer your other question, PAH. Yes, it could be interesting to write another Log type story in the future. Crookshanks is the logical choice, but maybe Buckbeak could be a possibility? Or that might be too difficult.

- mona amon, Jan 3, 2011 6:09 pm: Just read Crooksy's chronicles, which I feel were a great success! Wish I had been able to participate more. I predicted that the story was going to be purr-fect, and I was right! Crookshanks certainly showed a distinctive personality.

My favourite part was Crooksy's dream sequence. Fat, somnolent mice...LOLOLOL! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 1003735042

* Five Words – Volume 13 Index * 

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Main Archives * 
 * Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XIII, Story #133

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:36 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Jan 19, 2011 9:08 pm (#2502 of 2795) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o film.guardian.co.uk
Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Severussnape-toe

Potty Five Words: "Professor Snape Reports"

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Hogwarts_crest
POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
HARRY POTTER

Mr. Potter shows an utter lack of commitment for a third-year student. He has not yet mastered the most basic elements of potion-making. His Shrinking Solution did not succeed due to the unevenness of his cut daisy roots, despite being given numerous reminders that equal length roots were vital to the potion's success.

Mr. Potter must pay greater attention to my directions. His cavalier attitude will prevent him from advancing much further. His grades are currently averaging at 'D' and his behavior, both in and out of the classroom, is absolutely and undeniably delinquent, showing a total disregard for school rules. To improve his conduct, I recommend that he be taken off the Gryffindor Quidditch Team to allow him to focus properly on his studies and his attitude.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
RONALD WEASLEY

Mr. Weasley's performance in Potions is a disgrace to this school. He is unable to comprehend the simplest of directions, resulting in dangerous consequences for himself and anyone else unfortunate enough to be in his vicinity. In class, his ridiculous attempt at a Confusing Concoction wouldn't have confused a Flobberworm. His grades are barely hovering above an 'F' and show little sign of improving.

Mr. Weasley's attitude in class is insolent and unhelpful. He regularly colludes with classmates to circumvent school rules and is unwilling to assist classmates who require help with their work. Mr. Weasley would do well to remember that he is going to have to work harder to have any chance of improving his potion-making skills.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
HERMIONE GRANGER

Miss Granger's work is quite good. She prepares her potions efficiently, although she sometimes has the tendency to distract other pupils with unneeded advice about how to follow already perfectly simple instructions. She needs to give others the opportunity to repair their own mistakes unaided. Miss Granger's written work is of a consistently expansive nature, extensively researched. However, it is unnecessary to write more than has been requested and it could be perceived by some as insufferable showing off.

Miss Granger continues to raise her hand for every single question. She should give others the opportunity to share the limelight. While technically satisfactory, she needs to be more creative when brewing her potions and explore possibilities outside of her textbooks.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM

Mr. Longbottom is the most appalling pupil that I have had the misfortune to teach in all my years at Hogwarts. He shows absolutely no flair for the subject and routinely disrupts lessons with his sheer incompetence. His Shrinking Solution was absolutely unsalvageable. He has not managed to concoct a satisfactory potion in this academic year.

Mr. Longbottom seems incapable of following even the simplest of procedures, but he does seem fairly well-versed in potion ingredients and how to cultivate them. This one-dimensional knowledge is the only thing that has kept him from being thrown out of my class. I would suggest that, if he is to continue, he apply the same effort that he does in other classes, especially Defense Against the Dark Arts and Herbology, in mine.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
SEAMUS FINNIGAN

Despite attempting to burn down the Potions laboratory a number of times, Mr. Finnigan has shown some satisfactory progress in Potions this year. He has successfully concocted a number of solutions, through diligently following my simple step by step instructions. However, it's imperative that he learn to master more complex instructions in preparation for OWL examinations in two years' time.

Mr. Finnigan's tendency to become distracted has grown over the past three years. This penchant for frittering away valuable and irreplaceable time will have to be curbed, drastically, in order for him to achieve acceptable results at an advanced level of study.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
DRACO MALFOY

Due to an unfortunate injury, Mr. Malfoy was not able to partake fully in most Potions activities earlier this year. Naturally, this circumstance affected his grades, although they are highly commendable. He has overcome considerable pain and distress to achieve the required progress. However, if he wishes to push himself to even greater heights in this subject, I am willing to provide him with individual tuition. He has the ability to become a very skilled Potions expert through dedication and perseverance.

Mr. Malfoy's behavior in class is second to none, setting a fine example to his classmates. He is polite to his teachers and shows leadership in all aspects of school life.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
VINCENT CRABBE

Mr. Crabbe continues to make progress in Potions through a combination of practice and steadfast determination. However, he needs to work harder on preparing ingredients more carefully and measuring them accurately as well as following instructions properly, in the correct sequence. His written work is frequently substandard, the handwriting appearing similar to faded rune markings. I recommend that he try to practice his joined-up writing over the holidays. As for the content of his essays, Mr. Crabbe should refrain from elaborating on details unrelated to the assigned topic.

Mr. Crabbe's behavior is usually of an acceptable standard, although he has a tendency to distract other students with his comments about Quidditch match results. Mr. Crabbe needs to understand that Potions class is neither the place nor the time to be discussing such matters.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
GREGORY GOYLE

Mr. Goyle's potion-making skills have shown little improvement over the course of the year. He regularly struggles to grasp the meaning of simple instructions and sometimes confuses different potions ingredients. I strongly recommend that he work harder to learn the shapes and colors of commonly used ingredients. This would prevent accidents such as that which occurred in April, when he inadvertently turned his classmate's hair bright blue when he ingested it, a condition which took some weeks to remedy. Mr. Goyle's essays were rarely handed in on time. Numerous detentions have had little effect on his timeliness.

Mr. Goyle's conduct has often been unbecoming of Slytherin, showing scant evidence of any ambition. As his Head of House, I would like to emphatically point out that his contributions towards the House points total has been woefully meager. Mr. Goyle must do more to uphold the reputation of our most illustrious house.

POTIONS
Year 3, June 1994
PANSY PARKINSON

Miss Parkinson has worked diligently this year, as she has in her previous two at Hogwarts. If she continues to make progress, she will undoubtedly achieve at an acceptable level. Homework assignments are always handed in on time, and fairly well researched, although the border decorations, I'd say, are somewhat superfluous. Unadorned essays are the standard I expect from my students, including Miss Parkinson.

In class, every student is required to cooperate with their classmates, and Miss Parkinson has helped others to correctly interpret the instructions given, in a way that fosters independence. She doesn't just 'fix' the problem; she provides constructive criticism to those who are less talented despite their attempts. Other students look to Miss Parkinson for social guidance and leadership, which she is inherently adept at. She provides freely, and often.

POTIONS
Year 2, June 1994
LUNA LOVEGOOD

Miss Lovegood has demonstrated a fairly good knowledge of potion ingredients, but has a tendency to deviate from the assigned task and try to create her own concoctions. While creativity is an essential part of the potion-making process, Miss Lovegood should remember that inventiveness isn't enough to ensure success. Restraint must be shown to prevent unintended consequences.

Miss Lovegood would do well to remember how easily experimentation can be dangerous or even fatal. Her frequent reports about the 'Crumpled-Horn Snorkacks' and 'Wrackspurts' are a frequent and unnecessary distraction during lessons. It would behoove Miss Lovegood to remain attentive when procedural directions are given. However, she remains exasperatingly optimistic despite numerous, and quite disastrous, Potions failures.

POTIONS
Year 2, June 1994
GINEVRA WEASLEY

Miss Weasley has demonstrated considerable progress since last year. Her potions have become recognizable at last and her homework is now focusing on the assigned topic. Last year's unfortunate business aside, Miss Weasley has shown improvement in her ability to concentrate and perform the necessary steps for preparing potions ingredients, something that is sadly lacking in her classmates, as a whole.

Miss Weasley does, however, need to rein in her tongue and keep her opinions about the purpose of Potions homework to herself. The other students often seem to follow her lead, which wastes valuable time. I also suspect she may be responsible for several incidents involving mysteriously exploding potions in her unsuspecting fellow students' cauldrons. She needs to control her temper and learn to respond appropriately to her fellow classmates, Slytherins especially.

POTIONS
Year 5, June 1994
FRED WEASLEY

As in the previous years, Mr. Weasley has demonstrated a natural facility for potion-making despite an apparent lack of study skills. If this natural ability was supplemented with some discipline and effort, I am sure he could have a promising future as a potioneer. As it stands, his grades are average, at best, and he spends far too much time in class working on unauthorized creations that are not included in any Potions curriculum. Why would he try to produce a love potion in class when there were O.W.L.s to prepare for?

Mr. Weasley continues to hold court in class, entertaining his classmates with practical jokes and preventing them from concentrating on the work assigned. Docking points from his House does little to discourage these antics. Perhaps full-day Saturday detentions will help.

POTIONS
Year 5, June 1994
GEORGE WEASLEY

Mr. Weasley produces potions of an acceptable standard, although he has the potential to do much better. His homework is always punctual, but he tends to produce written work that is heavy on fanciful wordplay, or requires a mirror spell to read, and light on accurate facts. He has shown occasional interest in the finer points of potion-making and it will be good if he could sustain this interest and apply it consistently to his O.W.L. studies, especially if he wishes to continue with Potions at the NEWT level.

Mr. Weasley frequently distracts his fellow students with childish nonsense like practical jokes and this has wasted class time. Quidditch commentary also has no place in lessons, particularly when potions ingredients are being prepared. Greater attention should be paid to the work at hand.

POTIONS
Year 7, June 1994
PERCY WEASLEY

Mr. Weasley has been an extremely conscientious student this year, like he has been for his entire school career at Hogwarts. He was always well-prepared and followed directions precisely. His ingredient preparation is always meticulous but on occasion, he has been hindered by inferior equipment. For instance, when preparing his Draught of Living Death last term, patchy cauldron thickness resulted in half-prepared potion seeping through, rendering several students' shoes unusable, and it caused the wearer to lapse into sleep. It was beyond Mr. Weasley's control, but he failed to notice in time to prevent the potion from spreading quickly. This resulted in a reduction in marks despite the objections of the other students. Constant vigilance is an absolute necessity in the Potions laboratory, and my recommendation, if Mr. Weasley wishes to rise to the pinnacle of his full potential, is he should get a thicker cauldron and use better quality equipment, in general. Mr. Weasley's written assignments — essays and laboratory reports — have considerably improved since he was a first-year. Following my suggestions has enabled him to compose thorough, well-researched essays and organized, accurate reports, consistently and on time. He should do well in future endeavors if he maintains his ambitious tendencies.

Mr. Weasley, being a Head Boy, has been expected to maintain order and administer discipline. For the most part, he has been successful, but his overzealousness on occasions has alienated some students, causing an unnecessary distraction in class. Head Boys are not teachers and should realize the limits of their authority. Mr. Weasley would do well to remember that in his future career, for which I wish him the best.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XIII, Story #133 stats

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:40 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Jan 23, 2011 8:31 am (#2503 of 2795) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 133
ordered by first contribution to the story

User
  # of Submissions  
  Verity Weasley   114
  Potteraholic   118
  azi   69
  mona amon   23
  Julia H.   40
  Betelgeuse Black     7
  Phoenixfeather   17
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times, who may in turn pass it to the user who posted the third number of times in the story, and so forth.

Total Submissions: 387
Total Words: 1935
Last Submission Date: #2501, Jan 16, 2011 7:11 am, (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 14 days, 21 hours, 53 minutes

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XIII, Story #133 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:41 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Jan 23, 2011 8:33 am (#2504 of 2795) [Edited Mar 2, 2011 9:43 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #133, Volume XIII,
Potty Five Words: "Professor Snape Reports"

This story was written from January 1, 2011 to January 16, 2011. Seven writers contributed to the story, which is 1,935 words long. Two of the seven writers posted feedback.

- Verity Weasley, Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm: I enjoyed reading Snape's reports again. The long break before posting meant that I'd forgotten a lot of what we had written, so it was like reading them 'fresh'. I think we did a really good job of finding the balance between expressing Snape's true feelings about a student, coupled with the necessary teacher's restraint. I also think we captured the personalities of the individual students well, such as Luna's optimism and creativity. There was something in Goyle's report which didn't quite make sense to me - it sounded as though he'd been eating his fellow student's hair, which I'm sure wasn't the intended meaning! Finally, I have to mention that PAH did a fantastic job with the layout of the reports. They look very official! Smile

- Julia H., Feb 17, 2011 1:53 am: I enjoyed rereading the reports, too, and I loved the layout! Great job, PAH! Smile

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Potty Game: Five Words, Happy Birthday! Year 5

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 pm

This post was originally made by Potteraholic - Oct 9, 2010 1:30 am (#1255 of 2620)

Potty Game: Five Words!

Five Words is five years old today! It happens some time on October 9, 2005, even though the first ever Five Words post, written by the thread’s creator and Compiler Emeritus, Finn BV, clocks in on October 10, 2005, 2:17 am. The time discrepancy is due to the fact that the Forum clock has changed at various times over the past four years, recalibrating the time stamps on many posts here. Note: All the anniversary smileys are care of Finn, from his previous anniversary messages. Just wanted to keep the anniversary post looking somewhat the same! Smile

The following are the words of the inimitable Finn and can be found in these three previous anniversary messages: Year 1, Year 2 1/2, and Year 3.

Since our existence, we have had dozens of members of the Harry Potter Lexicon FanFiction Forum partake in this simple yet endlessly enjoyable game. In the game, there are no boundaries, save that you must add five words, no more and no less (though there are always mistakes), to your post that continue the story told through other members' five words. Strung together, the five words will make a much, much longer story.

Please take some time to reminisce about the history of the Five Words from our 1-year birthday celebration of October 9, 2006. This little tidbit, once again, is STILL true, to the best of my knowledge… : We invented the "Potty Five Words Crown," given to the poster who held the record for most number of posts in a story; the crown, I believe, is still currently retained by Tazzygirl (Kristina), with a thrilling 176 posts in the story "Just Another Week at the Ministry" on April 23, 2006.

—Finn BV, October 10, 2008, 4:08 a.m.

I started playing Five Words nearly 3 years ago and am so glad that Finn started this thread way back in October 2005. I wish I had been here from the start, but am happy to have found this thread in November 2007. I have had so much fun playing this game over the past 2 years, participating in the creation of some truly entertaining and amazing stories which have delved into all corners of the HP universe. In January 2008, I started helping out Finn and Tazzygirl with compiling some of the stories and posting the official stories and statistics online. Compiling a story involves typing it up, checking it for grammatical and spelling errors, counting its words, tallying its statistics, and formatting it correctly. In the summer of 2008, while I was abroad for much of the summer, PatPat came on board, helping out with the various compiling duties, as Finn and Tazzygirl's schedules made it difficult for them to participate in and monitor the thread as frequently as they had done in the past. In October of 2008, Finn "formally pass[ed] over reins of the thread" to me and it was around this time that Kip asked PatPat and me to become Hosts/Moderators on the FFF.

PatPat has been an invaluable help here on Five Words. I can't imagine the years 2008 to 2009 without her sage advice and thoughtful feedback about various changes introduced in that time. And, of course, I must thank Kip Carter for all his kind support through the years I have been a Five Worder. Thanks, Kip, in the good old days, for always updating the header whenever I put in a request in the 'Questions to the Host' thread, for making many edits to my posts as requested, and for thinking that I was *gulp* Host/Moderator material.

And now, as we reach the fifth year of Five Words, traditions calls for us to play ultimate Five Words. What's that, you ask? For this entire story, instead of posting the customary five words, we get to play more words! How 'bout we post... SEVEN WORDS! That's right! Why 7 words?

As this is the year the 7th HP movie opens, I thought... that's it! Seven! Seven words to coincide with the 7th movie. (It would've been magic if this was the 7th year anniversary of Five Words, but one can't have everything. Wink)

In the past, we've gotten to play 10 words, 12 words, and even 15 words! We couldn't just keep going at that rate, could we? Imagine 20 (25, 30, 35...) words at a time?

So, let the festivities begin, and thank you for staying by Five Words!

—Potteraholic, Oct 9, 2010 2:30 am

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XIV Index

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:14 pm

This page contains a list with links to all the stories written in Volume XIV.

Five Words Stories - Volume XIV

• Click on Story #134 (24 April 2011) for "The Journey From Nine and Three-Quarters: As Retold by Harry and Company"

• Click on Story #135 (11 May 2011) for "The Picture of Walburga Black"

• Click on Story #136 (10 June 2011) for "Fred and George: Gallivanting First-Years"

• Click on Story #137 (23 June 2011) for "'The Daily Prophet' - Today's Horoscopes"

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XV Index

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 pm

This page contains a list with links to all the stories written in Volume XV.

Five Words Stories - Volume XV

• Click on Story #138 (17 July 2011) for "The Chronicles of Crookshanks: Meeting the Beast"

• Click on Story #139 (28 Aug 2011) for "A Moste Potente Hallowe'en"

• Click on Story #140 (29 Sept 2011) for "Professor McGonagall Reports"

• Click on Story #141 (29 Oct 2011) for "A Minister's Musings"

Last edited by Potteraholic on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Using Contractions (Dialogue vs. Narrative)

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Using Contractions (Dialogue vs. Narrative)

Use contractions (I'm, I'll, it's, he's, etc.) in dialogue as much as possible; it is more realistic. Most people use contractions when they speak. Also, you will use 1 word instead of 2, which saves on a word. In my experience, people only use the expanded form of contractions in dialogue to emphasize something.

Using the 'uncontracted' form of words is usually what happens in narrative sentences ('he would' instead of 'he'd', 'they are' instead of 'they're', etc.), but the occasional use of contractions is fine, I should think.

Contractions help keep our sentences concise and simple, as does specific vocabulary. We'll be able to get more plot and details in our stories if we try and go for brevity of word choice whenever possible.

If you want to add a contraction ending, like 'll to 'he' at the end of a preceding post, for example, that's fine. The 'll will not count as a new word, but will be considered part of the preceding word. The same is true for a possessive ending like 's to 'Harry', for example.

* Please remember to use apostrophes (') in contractions and possessives. *

Thanks!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Other 'Dialogue' Words - Synonyms for 'said'

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Other 'Dialogue' Words - Synonyms for 'said'

Looking for another word to use besides 'said'? Have a look at the chart below and see if you can find just the right word to use.

List of synonyms for 'said':

general 
  in a
  happy way

in a
  sad way

in a
  bossy way

in an
  angry way

in a
  frightened  
  way
  added,
  continued,
  stated,
  announced,
  asserted,
  commented,
  declared,
  observed,
  remarked,
  reported,
  explained
  laughed,
  rejoiced,
  giggled,
  joked,
  lilted,
  sang out

cried,
  agonized,
  bawled,
  blubbered,
  lamented,
  sobbed,
  groaned,
  sniveled,
  wept,
  mourned

insisted,
  bossed,
  preached,
  dictated,
  professed,
  ordered

raged,
  miffed,
  seethed,
  fumed,
  retorted,
  thundered,
  blurted

quaked,
  stammered,
  shuddered,
  quivered,
  trembled

in a pained way  
 in an
  understanding  
way
    in a
  tired way  
    in a
  begging way 

as an answer
in a loud
 or
  a soft way 
  barked,
  cried out,
  cried,
  screamed,
  jabbered,
  bellowed,
  groaned,
  howled,
  shrieked,
  roared,
  grieved,
  wailed,
  yelped
  empathized,
  accepted,
  consoled,
  crooned,
  comforted,
  sympathized,
  agreed

mumbled,
  struggled,
  emitted,
  wearied

beseeched,
  begged,
  implored,
  pleaded,
  entreated,
  appealed,
  cajoled

responded,
  retorted,
  replied,
  rejoined,
  answered,
  acknowledged,
  explained

shouted,
  boomed,
  hollered

whispered,
  cooed,
  muttered,
  mouthed

in a
mean way 
  in an
annoying way  
---
---
---
---
  scoffed,
  snickered,
  sniggered
  whined

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Capitalizing/Not Capitalizing Rule

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Capitalizing/Not Capitalizing witches/wizards/Muggles 'rule':

In PS/SS, in the 'Keeper of the Keys' chapter, where Hagrid meets Harry and explains the magical world to him, the words 'witches' and 'wizards' are only capitalized at the start of a sentence, and 'Muggles' is always capitalized. ('Witches' and 'Wizards', with capitals, are used only in the titles of things.) Don't ask me to explain this difference when talking about 2 different sorts of people, when each group should, theoretically, be capitalized; JKR's the only one who can do that. So I'm just going to follow the conventions that are written in the books.

Note: The notes above were written during the writing of Story #124. In any future story, where these 3 words are used (witches/wizards/Muggles), the same conventions should be observed. Thanks!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of commonly misspelled/words

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm

List of commonly misspelled/words:
(including words that should/shouldn't be capitalized)

- Dark forces, purpose, etc. not dark forces, purpose, etc.
- Floo not floo
- Gryffindor common room not Common room
- house-elf not house elf or House Elf
- Ministry not ministry
- Muggles not muggles
- Mum not Mom (mum when someone is not addressing or referring to their own mother)
- Professor Dumbledore and "He is a professor."
- witches not Witches (only capitalized in titles)
- wizards not Wizards (only capitalized in titles)
- Auror not auror
- Dementor not dementor
- All Quidditch positions are capitalized: Seeker, Chaser, Keeper, Beater
- All Quidditch playing equipment is as well: Snitch, Bludger, and Quaffle.
- Verb Forms of Spells: Apparate, Disarm, Dissaparate, Obliviate, Stun, Summon, etc.
- wizarding money: Galleon, Sickle, Knut

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: When to Use Italics

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm

When to Use Italics:

1) When we write the excerpt from Wandering with Werewolves please remember to enclose text for this excerpt in italics, since we will be writing a narrative within a narrative. This is the standard literary convention for such writing. In case there are breaks in between Gilderoy's reading, to describe his gesture, or the reactions of anyone in the room listening to him [the presenter (Zephyr), Clio's assistant (Oliphant) and the WWW's reporter and photographer], just remember to unitalicize and italicize and unitalicize words, as necessary. Quotation marks are not needed around the excerpt's words, unless they are dialogue.

2) When writing internal thoughts, use italics. But quotation marks, either " " or ' ', are NOT needed.

Thanks!

Note:

- The 1st note was written during the writing of Story #123, "The Wagga Wagga Werewolf: A Fantastical Tale". In any future story, where there is a narrative within a narrative, the same conventions should be observed.

- The 2nd note was added during the revision of Story #116, "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible".

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Chart of Five Words Stories' word counts

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Chart of Five Words Stories' word counts:

This chart was originally created after Story #86, "Filius the Fearless", was posted. It was prefaced by the following comments:

Now, please bear with me while I share some 'technical', for lack of a better word, post-story thoughts. "Filius the Fearless" was yet another long story. Out of the last 5 stories, 4 of them have been over 2,000 words. Just to give you an idea of how this has not been the norm for Five Words, here is a chart of Five Words Stories data:

Word Count in Five Word Stories

# of words           stories out of 88* so far  
  under 600   6/88
  600 to 999   21/88
  1,000 to 1,399   28/88
  1,400 to 1,799   24/88
  1,800 to 1,999           0/88
  over 2,000   9/88

* There are 86 numbered stories, but two of them #28 and #59, have 2 versions each, hence 88 finished stories.

As you can see, the majority of the stories are under 1,800 words. The shortest stories happened in the first days of Five Words, and most of the stories fall into the 1,000 to 1,800 words range. Let's really try to write a simple vignette, as Finn suggested here in an earlier thread. This way, we'll be comfortably able to write 2 more good-sized stories on this thread before having to open a new one. Thanks, everybody!

Here is an updated chart, as of Aug 18, 2011:

Word Count in Five Word Stories

# of words           stories out of 145* so far  
  under 600   10/145
  600 to 999   22/145
  1,000 to 1,399   44/145
  1,400 to 1,799   37/145
  1,800 to 1,999   6/145
  over 2,000   26/145

* There are 138 numbered stories, but two of them #28 and #59, have 2 versions each, and there are also 5 'Revision stories', for a total of 145 finished stories.

Word Count in Five Word Stories by Story #

# of words           Story #s  
  under 600           1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 137
  600 to 999         24, 25, 28A, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 37, 44, 50, 51, 52, 53, 56, 61, 71, 81, 97, 98, 99, 114
  1,000 to 1,399         7, 8, 9, 14, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23, 28B, 29, 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 47, 54, 57, 58, 59A, 60,
  63, 64, 65, 72, 74, 79, 87, 88, 93, 105, 107, 108, 112, 113, 117, 118, 119, 120, 123,
  129, 132, 138
  1,400 to 1,799   15, 16, 19, 21, 26, 27, 34, 36, 41, 45, 46, 48, 55, 59B, 62, 66, 67, 68, 70, 73, 75
  78, 80, 84, 89, 90, 91, 94, 95, 96, 101, 104, 111, 113R, 127, 128, 130
  1,800 to 1,999         92, 102, 110, 116, 133, 136
  over 2,000   13, 49, 69, 76, 77, 82, 83, 85, 86, 100, 103, 106, 109, 115, 121, 122, 124, 124R,
  125, 125R, 116R, 114R, 126, 131, 134, 135

As you can see, the majority of the stories are still under 1,800 words. The shortest stories happened in the first days of Five Words, and most of the stories fall into the 1,000 to 1,800 words range.
- From Story #93 to #99 (a total of 7 stories), a 1,700 word limit was instated.
- From Story #100 onwards, the word limit was raised to 2,000 words.

# of Stories Written by Each Year's Anniversary Date (October 9th, 2006)

by the _ anniversary...

stories written, #_ to #_ :

# of stories per year  
1st
  #1 to #35 (including 28A and 28B)  
2nd
  #36 to #53 (including 59A and 59B)  
3rd
  #54 to #91  
4th
  #92 to #114  
5th
  #115 to #129, including 1 revision story: #124R  
6th
  #130 to #138, including 4 revision stories: #113R, #116R, #122R, #114R    

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: A chapter review from the blog 'Mark Reads Harry Potter'

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 pm

A chapter review from the blog 'Mark Reads Harry Potter':

The following is a chapter review from the blog 'Mark Reads Harry Potter' and can be found at:
'Mark Reads Harry Potter' - http:*//markreadsharrypotter.buzznet.com/user/journal/7333841/mark-reads-harry-potter-goblet/.

The format of this review is what inspired the Story #132, "The Chronicles of Crookshanks".

Mark Reads 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire': Chapter 15

Aug 04, 2010

In the fifteenth chapter of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Mad-Eye Moody starts to get weird, Draco Malfoy is schooled again, Hermione continues to be better than everyone, and then....THEN...the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrive and HOLY ****. Intrigued? Then it's time for Mark to read Harry Potter.

CHAPTER 15: BEAUXBATONS AND DURMSTRANG

DETAIL LOG
HEDWIG
SUBJECT: HARRY POTTER
PERIOD: SEPTEMBER 5, 1994 - OCTOBER 30, 1994

SEPTEMBER 5, 1994

0645: SUBJECT AWAKES TO WRITE ONE SIRIUS BLACK A LETTER. FEW THINGS AMUSE ME MORE THAN A 14 YEAR-OLD CHILD TRYING TO LIE TO SIRIUS BLACK. CRAVING MOUSE.

0652: QUICKLY FLY BACK TO OWLERY SO THAT SUBJECT DOES NOT KNOW I AM WATCHING HIM. WATCH OTHER OWLS STARE AT ME WITH JEALOUSY.

0653: WATCHED SUBJECT SLIP ON OWL POOP. ENDLESSLY AMUSING.

0654: SUBJECT TRIES TO WAKE ME UP WHILE I PRETEND TO BE ASLEEP. THIS IS WHAT SUBJECT DESERVES AFTER SENDING ME TO FIND SIRIUS BLACK. IF OWLS COULD CHUCKLE, I WOULD CHUCKLE.

0655: SUBJECT HAS THE AUDACITY TO SUGGEST USING THAT DUMB WEASLEY OWL, PIGWIDGEON. I'D RATHER EAT MY OWN BEAK OFF. TOUCHE, POTTER. TOUCHE.

0656: I BIT SUBJECT AS A SIGN OF "AFFECTION." AT LEAST THAT'S HOW THE DOLT WILL INTERPRET IT.

0656: LEFT SUBJECT AT HOGWARTS TO LOCATE SIRIUS BLACK. WHO IS PROBABLY TRAVELING. GREAT. A MOVING SUBJECT. REMIND ME TO S**T IN POTTER'S BED SOMETIME.

OCTOBER 30, 1994

0815: RETURNED WITH LETTER FROM SIRIUS. ENJOYED THE WARM WEATHER. NOT EXCITED TO RETURN TO THE OWLERY AND LISTEN TO ALL THOSE AMATEUR OWLS HOOT ABOUT THEIR MEDIOCRE LIVES. MUST TRAVEL MORE.

0816: SUBJECT OFFERED ME BACON RINDS. I'LL TRAVEL AFTER I EAT THESE. OM NOM NOM.

0818: SUBJECT THINKS I DRANK HIS ORANGE JUICE. I DIDN'T. I'VE BEEN HOLDING SOME MICE POOP IN MY TALONS FOR HOURS. JOKE'S ON HIM.

1756: RECEIVED NEWS THAT THE ARRIVAL OF STUDENTS FROM BEAUXBATONS AND DURMSTRANG IS IMMINENT. HOPE THEY DON'T BRING THEIR POST OWLS. NOTHING WORSE THAN UNCIVIlIZED STRIGIFORMES.

1809: STUDENT JUST EXCLAIMED THAT THE BEAUXBATONS ARE ARRIVING AT HOGWARTS VIA DRAGON. MUST REMEMBER TO FIND HER OWL AND INSTRUCT HIM OR HER HOW TO USE POOP AS A SECRET WEAPON.

1810: BEAUXBATONS ARRIVED BY WINGED HORSES. MIGHT CONSIDER CHANGING MY SUBJECT. POTTER WOULD PROBABLY PREFER TO ARRIVE TO PLACES ON THE BACK OF HAGRID.

1811: BEAUXBATONS HEADMASTER STEPS OUT OF CARRIAGE. POSSIBLY MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN EVER. DEFINITELY FLYING TO FRANCE AND TELL SUBJECT THAT SIRIUS "MIGHT" BE THERE.

1825: DURMSTRANG STUDENTS ARRIVE ON A SHIP THAT CAME OUT OF THE LAKE. SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING DITCHING HOGWARTS ASAP.

1827: VICTOR KRUM IS HERE. ABANDONING HOGWARTS SOON. AFTER I GET SOME MORE BACON RINDS. MMMMMM BACON.

Editorial note: While I like the format of the log, I don't think Mark's take on Hedwig is right. I find his rendition of her a bit mean and unpleasant, and find her tone off-putting at times. But I do like the format he chose to write about the story from an animal's POV. I always imagined that Crookshanks had nothing but the greatest affection for Hermione, and would think the tone of his log would reflect this sentiment.

So things don't get confusing (What? Here on Five Words? Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 464751818), we'll need to include the time, recorded in military style (24 hour clock), as part of our 5 words.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Tips on Writing Letters to the Editor

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Tips on Writing Letters to the Editor:

These tips were posted during the writing of Story #128, "The Daily Prophet, 10th March 2008".

I looked at this website that has an article entitled, "How to Write Letters to the Editor" by Richard Rider: http:*//*www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/activist/howlte.htm. It was very informative. I'm bookmarking it. And on The New York Times website (http:*//*www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/lettertoeditor.html), it says, "Letters for publication should be no longer than 150 words."

So let's aim for that? Give or take a few words? And write a few different letters about the same topic perhaps? Or even different topics, as there are usually 3 or 4 different topics in the Letters to the Editor section. To get a range of perspectives?

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of JKR's 'Hagridspeak'

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:25 am

List of JKR's 'Hagridspeak':

This was first posted during Story #130, "Bill and Fleur's Wedding: The Deleted Scenes".

Thought it might be a good idea to start a list of 'Hagridspeak', starting with the quotes from the Lexicon, as a handy reference. Hagrid might appear in this wedding story (#130) again, and may turn up again in future stories.

List of JKR's 'Hagridspeak'

words

more words

phrases

sentences

• yeh/yeh've (you/you've)    
 • yer (you're or your)
 • an' (and)
 • codswallop
 • dunno (don’t know)  
 • firs' (first)
 • Gawd (God)
 • ter (to)
 • migh' (might)
 • ev'ry (every)
 • apar' (apart)
 • o' (of)
 • don' (don't)
 • can' (can't)
 • wen' (went)
 • wasn' (wasn't)      
 • fer (for)
 • jus' (just)
 • Sorta (Sort of)
 • tha' (that)
 • gotta (got to)
 • wha' (what)
 • more'n (more than)
 • abou' (about)
 • tha's (that's)
 • 'Course (Of course...)
 • Ah, shut up, Dursley…
 • yeh great prune
 • 'S long as (As long as...)
 • was dead chuffed
 • 'cos me mum
 • in me second year
 • 'em second chances  
    (them second…)
 • There's some who'd say...      
 • "He fell asleep as we was flyin' over Bristol."
* dropped 'g' at the end of words: swarmin', flyin', anythin', meanin'

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of JKR's 'Fleurspeak'

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am

List of JKR's 'Fleurspeak':

This was first posted during Story #130, "Bill and Fleur's Wedding: The Deleted Scenes".

Thought it might also be a good idea to start a list of 'Fleurspeak', using what I found in 'The Wedding' chapter of DH and in GoF, since the Lexicon doesn't list any quotes on Fleur's page. I think a handy reference might be useful in this wedding story (#130) as she'll probably turn up in it, and she may turn up again in future stories.

"Bah," said Fleur… "Bill, don't look at me — I'm 'ideous."

"Yes, and zat eez all very good," snapped Fleur, "but still eet does not explain 'ow zey knew we were moving 'Arry tonight, does eet? Somebody must 'ave been careless. Somebody let slip ze date but not ze 'ole plan."

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of JKR's 'Viktorspeak'

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 am

List of JKR's 'Viktorspeak':

Since there's a list of 'Hagridspeak' and 'Fleurspeak', I figured we might as well have a list of 'Viktorspeak', too. He's not in our story yet, but he could turn up, couldn't he? And he may turn up again in future stories.

"... you know this man Lovegood vell?"

"... if he vos not a guest of Fleur's, I vould duel him, here and now, for vearing that filthy sign upon his chest."

"Grindelvald. (instead of Grindelwald) That is Grindelvald's sign."

"...this is his symbol, I recognized it at vunce."

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Please don't post NON-POSTS

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 am

Please don't post NON-POSTS:

We need to use our posts carefully here on Five Words to maximize the thread's capacity of approximately 1,005 posts. (Here, on forumotion, threads seem to end after 67 pages, so at 15 posts/page, that's 1,005 posts.)

Posts that don't contain the story's next five bolded words are called NON-POSTS. Posting a chat comment in the middle of the story without also submitting 5 new words in bold to advance the story will end up shortening the length of the thread, which could potentially mean not being able to finish a story within one volume, and having to continue it in the next. Doing this affects the story's continuity and its better to avoid this situation. Out of the current 14 completed volumes of Five Word stories, only one story had to be continued in another volume. This was due only to the fact that the story had not been completed when the server, World Crossing, closed on April 15, 2011.

Thanks for your help! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Revision Story Information

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:46 am

Revision Story Information

The following message was posted in Volume XIII, which was the first volume of Five Word stories on the Main Forum of the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum. The Previous 12 volumes had been written on the FanFiction Forum of the HPLF. There were still 800+ posts left on that Volume XII thread, so the remaining posts were used to revise previously written stories.

Here is the order of stories we will work on, as of Dec. 26, 2010:
Updated information since the original posting of this list.

1. "Fixing the Future" (Vol. XII) - revised
2. "Hogwarts, Year One, 1970" (Vol. XII) - revised
3. "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible" (Vol. XI) - revised
4. "A Family Gathering" (Vol. XI) - revised
5. "Dear Sisters" (Vol. XI) - in progress continued

Other stories will be added to this list as folks make suggestions. There will probably only be space on this thread (Volume XII on World Crossing) to revise a maximum of 10 stories.

Since the stories in Volume XIII (on the Main Forum) are relatively recent (as of this original posting), those stories will not be considered for revision yet.

Here are the stories from Volume XII:
- "Posting for Porlocks"
- "The Wandering Wizard"
- "Hogwarts, Year One, 1970" - revised
- "The Wagga Wagga Werewolf: A Fantastical Tale"
- "Fixing the Future" - revised
- "The Wilkinses Remembered"

Here are the stories from Volume XI:
- "A Touch of Transfiguration"
- "The Birth of a Hat"
- "A Neighborly Chat"
- "The Eye and the Storm"
- "A Family Gathering" - revised
- "Dear Sisters" - in progress continued
- "The 3 Ds: Dursleys, Dementors, and Dinner"/ Fourth Anniversary Special!
- "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible" - revised
- "A Birthday... Surprise!"
- "Owl Post!"
- "A Barrier Breached"
- "The Dursley Triumvirate" to read this trio of stories all at once.

Here are the stories from Volume X:
- "A Christmas Eve Surprise"
- "Rita Buzzes Around"
- "Dean and Seamus 'Roar' into Greece"
- "Malevolent Machinations"
- "Driving and Disapparation to... Destination, Unknown"
- "Lorcan d'Eath's Magical Plot"
- "Tales of the Easter Niffler"
- "A Blossoming Magic"
- "On 'The Cusp'"

For a list of other stories, click the link below. Thanks! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Potty Game: Five Words, Happy Birthday! messages

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 am

This post contains all the messages written to mark another year of Five Words stories here on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum. With each birthday, posters celebrate by writing more than 5 words: 7, 10, 12 and even 15!

Potty Game: Five Words!

Year 1

Spoiler:

Year 2 ½
Spoiler:

Year 3
Spoiler:

Year 4
Spoiler:

Year 5
Spoiler:
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Finn's Suggestions at the close of Volume V

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:55 pm

If you're new to Five Words, or even if you've been playing since since the beginning, take a look at some suggestions Finn (the creator of the Five Words thread on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum), made at the close of Volume V to improve our story-writing. The suggestions he made at the end of Volume II were not archived before World Crossing closed on April 15, 2011.

Finn BV - Jan 28, 2008 2:39 am

The last time I offered suggestions about Five Words was at the end of Volume II (not available), and I hope everyone reads that -- it's got a few tips in there to make posting an easier process (disregard that last point though about keeping track of the number of times you post -- we've worked it out now).

Please understand this is constructive criticisms for everyone, including me. So, some further thoughts:

Don't think too hard. Really, this is supposed to be an entertaining exercise in limiting your thoughts to just five words, and reacting to other people's thoughts. We're not here to write Harry Potter 8, the novella, we're just writing short vignettes, typically wacky ones, sometimes serious ones, and sometimes epic ones. It's just a game -- don't overthink the whole process. Write simply, and compose a fun tale.

Try not to bring the stories around to the same characters again: the trio, Neville and Luna seem to pop up quite frequently. Obviously, it's fine to have them in the story, but there's a lot more fun it to feature characters you know less about -- for example, in the young Lily and Petunia story. I think we've been pretty good about this, but I just want to throw it out there so that we don't keep reading about Harry, Ron and Hermione forever.

A little trick about hyphens. Generally, if the word is an adjective, there's a hyphen. If it's a noun or a verb, there's no hyphen. If a string of letters is hyphenated, it's all one word. If it's not hyphenated, it's more than one word. I just Googled "hyphenated adjectives" and this page is great at explaining the rule with its exceptions. Obviously, hyphens can trip you up a number of times in your word count, because you could write "twenty-five-year-old boy" not knowing if it's all your five words or just two words.

Please, just have fun! This goes back to my first point, but I want it to be a fun, fun, fun experience for everybody. Don't get so caught up in the number of times you post or the intricacies of the stories that it detracts from the FUN level.

This is an open invitation to everyone to offer suggestions. There are only six posts left on this thread, however, so you're welcome to continue them in the new thread -- though I would recommend you post comments beneath your five words, in the same post, to preserve posts! I will start Volume VI now, but let's not post there until we max this one out.

Happy Five Wording!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories with Harry, Ron, and Hermione

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 pm

This is a perpetual work-in-progress, periodically updated. Thanks! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Stories with Harry, Ron, and Hermione

(Click on the story title to read that story)

Story #  Volume #   Story title    Date posted    # of words  
I
 "Ron slumped into the comfy armchair."    Nov 1, 2005  
I
 "Ginny stood up quickly."    Nov 23, 2005  
I
 "Harry stared down at his outfit."    Dec 12, 2005  
I
 "The Order Member We've Never Formally Met"    Jan 25, 2006  
I
 "Hippogriffs, Voldemort, Dementors, and Luna"    Feb 12, 2006  
I
 "Hogwarts Epidemic"    May 3, 2006  
III
 "The Mystery of the Owl with a Lime Green Beak"    Sep 26, 2006  
IV
 "The Hidden Powers of Arnold"    Oct 25, 2006  
IV
 "The Potion"    Nov 12, 2006  
V
 "The Three-Horned Creature's Wax Seal"    Nov 29, 2007  
V
 "The Trouble with Time"    Dec 6, 2007  
IX
 "Tales of HRH: Hermione Remembers When..."    Nov 29, 2008  
IX
 "Tales of HRH: Ron's Long-Held Secret"    Dec 8, 2008  
IX
 "Tales of HRH: Harry Strikes While the Iron is Hot"    Dec 20, 2008  
97, 98, 99
IX
 "Tales of HRH: A Miameron"    Dec 20, 2008  
XIII
 "The Chronicles of Crookshanks"   Jan 1, 2011  

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories with Harry and/or Other Hogwarts Students and Staff

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

This is a perpetual work-in-progress, periodically updated. Thanks! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Stories with Harry and/or Other Hogwarts Students and Staff

(Click on the story title to read that story)

Story #        Volume #      Story title        Date posted     # of words  
I
 "The Crumple-Horned Snorkack and the Almighty
  Michael Corner"

Jan 3, 2006  
I
 "A Valentine's Day Love Chiliaicosikaienneagon?*"   Feb 25, 2006  
I
 "Extreme Dueling: Hogwarts Edition"   Mar 20, 2006  
II
 "The Tale of the Occamy"   May 24, 2006  
II
 "Grawp’s Night of Confusion"   Jun 27, 2006