HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archive of Five Words Stories

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XIV Index

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:14 pm

This page contains a list with links to all the stories written in Volume XIV.

Five Words Stories - Volume XIV

• Click on Story #134 (24 April 2011) for "The Journey From Nine and Three-Quarters: As Retold by Harry and Company"

• Click on Story #135 (11 May 2011) for "The Picture of Walburga Black"

• Click on Story #136 (10 June 2011) for "Fred and George: Gallivanting First-Years"

• Click on Story #137 (23 June 2011) for "'The Daily Prophet' - Today's Horoscopes"

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Main Archives * 
 * Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XV Index

Post  Potteraholic Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:31 pm

This page contains a list with links to all the stories written in Volume XV.

Five Words Stories - Volume XV

• Click on Story #138 (17 July 2011) for "The Chronicles of Crookshanks: Meeting the Beast"

• Click on Story #139 (28 Aug 2011) for "A Moste Potente Hallowe'en"

• Click on Story #140 (29 Sept 2011) for "Professor McGonagall Reports"

• Click on Story #141 (29 Oct 2011) for "A Minister's Musings"

Last edited by Potteraholic on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Using Contractions (Dialogue vs. Narrative)

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Using Contractions (Dialogue vs. Narrative)

Use contractions (I'm, I'll, it's, he's, etc.) in dialogue as much as possible; it is more realistic. Most people use contractions when they speak. Also, you will use 1 word instead of 2, which saves on a word. In my experience, people only use the expanded form of contractions in dialogue to emphasize something.

Using the 'uncontracted' form of words is usually what happens in narrative sentences ('he would' instead of 'he'd', 'they are' instead of 'they're', etc.), but the occasional use of contractions is fine, I should think.

Contractions help keep our sentences concise and simple, as does specific vocabulary. We'll be able to get more plot and details in our stories if we try and go for brevity of word choice whenever possible.

If you want to add a contraction ending, like 'll to 'he' at the end of a preceding post, for example, that's fine. The 'll will not count as a new word, but will be considered part of the preceding word. The same is true for a possessive ending like 's to 'Harry', for example.

* Please remember to use apostrophes (') in contractions and possessives. *

Thanks!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Other 'Dialogue' Words - Synonyms for 'said'

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Other 'Dialogue' Words - Synonyms for 'said'

Looking for another word to use besides 'said'? Have a look at the chart below and see if you can find just the right word to use.

List of synonyms for 'said':

general 
  in a
  happy way

in a
  sad way

in a
  bossy way

in an
  angry way

in a
  frightened  
  way
  added,
  continued,
  stated,
  announced,
  asserted,
  commented,
  declared,
  observed,
  remarked,
  reported,
  explained
  laughed,
  rejoiced,
  giggled,
  joked,
  lilted,
  sang out

cried,
  agonized,
  bawled,
  blubbered,
  lamented,
  sobbed,
  groaned,
  sniveled,
  wept,
  mourned

insisted,
  bossed,
  preached,
  dictated,
  professed,
  ordered

raged,
  miffed,
  seethed,
  fumed,
  retorted,
  thundered,
  blurted

quaked,
  stammered,
  shuddered,
  quivered,
  trembled

in a pained way  
 in an
  understanding  
way
    in a
  tired way  
    in a
  begging way 

as an answer
in a loud
 or
  a soft way 
  barked,
  cried out,
  cried,
  screamed,
  jabbered,
  bellowed,
  groaned,
  howled,
  shrieked,
  roared,
  grieved,
  wailed,
  yelped
  empathized,
  accepted,
  consoled,
  crooned,
  comforted,
  sympathized,
  agreed

mumbled,
  struggled,
  emitted,
  wearied

beseeched,
  begged,
  implored,
  pleaded,
  entreated,
  appealed,
  cajoled

responded,
  retorted,
  replied,
  rejoined,
  answered,
  acknowledged,
  explained

shouted,
  boomed,
  hollered

whispered,
  cooed,
  muttered,
  mouthed

in a
mean way 
  in an
annoying way  
---
---
---
---
  scoffed,
  snickered,
  sniggered
  whined

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Capitalizing/Not Capitalizing Rule

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Capitalizing/Not Capitalizing witches/wizards/Muggles 'rule':

In PS/SS, in the 'Keeper of the Keys' chapter, where Hagrid meets Harry and explains the magical world to him, the words 'witches' and 'wizards' are only capitalized at the start of a sentence, and 'Muggles' is always capitalized. ('Witches' and 'Wizards', with capitals, are used only in the titles of things.) Don't ask me to explain this difference when talking about 2 different sorts of people, when each group should, theoretically, be capitalized; JKR's the only one who can do that. So I'm just going to follow the conventions that are written in the books.

Note: The notes above were written during the writing of Story #124. In any future story, where these 3 words are used (witches/wizards/Muggles), the same conventions should be observed. Thanks!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of commonly misspelled/words

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:39 pm

List of commonly misspelled/words:
(including words that should/shouldn't be capitalized)

- Dark forces, purpose, etc. not dark forces, purpose, etc.
- Floo not floo
- Gryffindor common room not Common room
- house-elf not house elf or House Elf
- Ministry not ministry
- Muggles not muggles
- Mum not Mom (mum when someone is not addressing or referring to their own mother)
- Professor Dumbledore and "He is a professor."
- witches not Witches (only capitalized in titles)
- wizards not Wizards (only capitalized in titles)
- Auror not auror
- Dementor not dementor
- All Quidditch positions are capitalized: Seeker, Chaser, Keeper, Beater
- All Quidditch playing equipment is as well: Snitch, Bludger, and Quaffle.
- Verb Forms of Spells: Apparate, Disarm, Dissaparate, Obliviate, Stun, Summon, etc.
- wizarding money: Galleon, Sickle, Knut

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: When to Use Italics

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm

When to Use Italics:

1) When we write the excerpt from Wandering with Werewolves please remember to enclose text for this excerpt in italics, since we will be writing a narrative within a narrative. This is the standard literary convention for such writing. In case there are breaks in between Gilderoy's reading, to describe his gesture, or the reactions of anyone in the room listening to him [the presenter (Zephyr), Clio's assistant (Oliphant) and the WWW's reporter and photographer], just remember to unitalicize and italicize and unitalicize words, as necessary. Quotation marks are not needed around the excerpt's words, unless they are dialogue.

2) When writing internal thoughts, use italics. But quotation marks, either " " or ' ', are NOT needed.

Thanks!

Note:

- The 1st note was written during the writing of Story #123, "The Wagga Wagga Werewolf: A Fantastical Tale". In any future story, where there is a narrative within a narrative, the same conventions should be observed.

- The 2nd note was added during the revision of Story #116, "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible".

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Chart of Five Words Stories' word counts

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:40 pm

Chart of Five Words Stories' word counts:

This chart was originally created after Story #86, "Filius the Fearless", was posted. It was prefaced by the following comments:

Now, please bear with me while I share some 'technical', for lack of a better word, post-story thoughts. "Filius the Fearless" was yet another long story. Out of the last 5 stories, 4 of them have been over 2,000 words. Just to give you an idea of how this has not been the norm for Five Words, here is a chart of Five Words Stories data:

Word Count in Five Word Stories

# of words           stories out of 88* so far  
  under 600   6/88
  600 to 999   21/88
  1,000 to 1,399   28/88
  1,400 to 1,799   24/88
  1,800 to 1,999           0/88
  over 2,000   9/88

* There are 86 numbered stories, but two of them #28 and #59, have 2 versions each, hence 88 finished stories.

As you can see, the majority of the stories are under 1,800 words. The shortest stories happened in the first days of Five Words, and most of the stories fall into the 1,000 to 1,800 words range. Let's really try to write a simple vignette, as Finn suggested here in an earlier thread. This way, we'll be comfortably able to write 2 more good-sized stories on this thread before having to open a new one. Thanks, everybody!

Here is an updated chart, as of Aug 18, 2011:

Word Count in Five Word Stories

# of words           stories out of 145* so far  
  under 600   10/145
  600 to 999   22/145
  1,000 to 1,399   44/145
  1,400 to 1,799   37/145
  1,800 to 1,999   6/145
  over 2,000   26/145

* There are 138 numbered stories, but two of them #28 and #59, have 2 versions each, and there are also 5 'Revision stories', for a total of 145 finished stories.

Word Count in Five Word Stories by Story #

# of words           Story #s  
  under 600           1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 137
  600 to 999         24, 25, 28A, 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 37, 44, 50, 51, 52, 53, 56, 61, 71, 81, 97, 98, 99, 114
  1,000 to 1,399         7, 8, 9, 14, 17, 18, 20, 22, 23, 28B, 29, 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 47, 54, 57, 58, 59A, 60,
  63, 64, 65, 72, 74, 79, 87, 88, 93, 105, 107, 108, 112, 113, 117, 118, 119, 120, 123,
  129, 132, 138
  1,400 to 1,799   15, 16, 19, 21, 26, 27, 34, 36, 41, 45, 46, 48, 55, 59B, 62, 66, 67, 68, 70, 73, 75
  78, 80, 84, 89, 90, 91, 94, 95, 96, 101, 104, 111, 113R, 127, 128, 130
  1,800 to 1,999         92, 102, 110, 116, 133, 136
  over 2,000   13, 49, 69, 76, 77, 82, 83, 85, 86, 100, 103, 106, 109, 115, 121, 122, 124, 124R,
  125, 125R, 116R, 114R, 126, 131, 134, 135

As you can see, the majority of the stories are still under 1,800 words. The shortest stories happened in the first days of Five Words, and most of the stories fall into the 1,000 to 1,800 words range.
- From Story #93 to #99 (a total of 7 stories), a 1,700 word limit was instated.
- From Story #100 onwards, the word limit was raised to 2,000 words.

# of Stories Written by Each Year's Anniversary Date (October 9th, 2006)

by the _ anniversary...

stories written, #_ to #_ :

# of stories per year  
1st
  #1 to #35 (including 28A and 28B)  
2nd
  #36 to #53 (including 59A and 59B)  
3rd
  #54 to #91  
4th
  #92 to #114  
5th
  #115 to #129, including 1 revision story: #124R  
6th
  #130 to #138, including 4 revision stories: #113R, #116R, #122R, #114R    

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: A chapter review from the blog 'Mark Reads Harry Potter'

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 pm

A chapter review from the blog 'Mark Reads Harry Potter':

The following is a chapter review from the blog 'Mark Reads Harry Potter' and can be found at:
'Mark Reads Harry Potter' - http:*//markreadsharrypotter.buzznet.com/user/journal/7333841/mark-reads-harry-potter-goblet/.

The format of this review is what inspired the Story #132, "The Chronicles of Crookshanks".

Mark Reads 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire': Chapter 15

Aug 04, 2010

In the fifteenth chapter of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Mad-Eye Moody starts to get weird, Draco Malfoy is schooled again, Hermione continues to be better than everyone, and then....THEN...the students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrive and HOLY ****. Intrigued? Then it's time for Mark to read Harry Potter.

CHAPTER 15: BEAUXBATONS AND DURMSTRANG

DETAIL LOG
HEDWIG
SUBJECT: HARRY POTTER
PERIOD: SEPTEMBER 5, 1994 - OCTOBER 30, 1994

SEPTEMBER 5, 1994

0645: SUBJECT AWAKES TO WRITE ONE SIRIUS BLACK A LETTER. FEW THINGS AMUSE ME MORE THAN A 14 YEAR-OLD CHILD TRYING TO LIE TO SIRIUS BLACK. CRAVING MOUSE.

0652: QUICKLY FLY BACK TO OWLERY SO THAT SUBJECT DOES NOT KNOW I AM WATCHING HIM. WATCH OTHER OWLS STARE AT ME WITH JEALOUSY.

0653: WATCHED SUBJECT SLIP ON OWL POOP. ENDLESSLY AMUSING.

0654: SUBJECT TRIES TO WAKE ME UP WHILE I PRETEND TO BE ASLEEP. THIS IS WHAT SUBJECT DESERVES AFTER SENDING ME TO FIND SIRIUS BLACK. IF OWLS COULD CHUCKLE, I WOULD CHUCKLE.

0655: SUBJECT HAS THE AUDACITY TO SUGGEST USING THAT DUMB WEASLEY OWL, PIGWIDGEON. I'D RATHER EAT MY OWN BEAK OFF. TOUCHE, POTTER. TOUCHE.

0656: I BIT SUBJECT AS A SIGN OF "AFFECTION." AT LEAST THAT'S HOW THE DOLT WILL INTERPRET IT.

0656: LEFT SUBJECT AT HOGWARTS TO LOCATE SIRIUS BLACK. WHO IS PROBABLY TRAVELING. GREAT. A MOVING SUBJECT. REMIND ME TO S**T IN POTTER'S BED SOMETIME.

OCTOBER 30, 1994

0815: RETURNED WITH LETTER FROM SIRIUS. ENJOYED THE WARM WEATHER. NOT EXCITED TO RETURN TO THE OWLERY AND LISTEN TO ALL THOSE AMATEUR OWLS HOOT ABOUT THEIR MEDIOCRE LIVES. MUST TRAVEL MORE.

0816: SUBJECT OFFERED ME BACON RINDS. I'LL TRAVEL AFTER I EAT THESE. OM NOM NOM.

0818: SUBJECT THINKS I DRANK HIS ORANGE JUICE. I DIDN'T. I'VE BEEN HOLDING SOME MICE POOP IN MY TALONS FOR HOURS. JOKE'S ON HIM.

1756: RECEIVED NEWS THAT THE ARRIVAL OF STUDENTS FROM BEAUXBATONS AND DURMSTRANG IS IMMINENT. HOPE THEY DON'T BRING THEIR POST OWLS. NOTHING WORSE THAN UNCIVIlIZED STRIGIFORMES.

1809: STUDENT JUST EXCLAIMED THAT THE BEAUXBATONS ARE ARRIVING AT HOGWARTS VIA DRAGON. MUST REMEMBER TO FIND HER OWL AND INSTRUCT HIM OR HER HOW TO USE POOP AS A SECRET WEAPON.

1810: BEAUXBATONS ARRIVED BY WINGED HORSES. MIGHT CONSIDER CHANGING MY SUBJECT. POTTER WOULD PROBABLY PREFER TO ARRIVE TO PLACES ON THE BACK OF HAGRID.

1811: BEAUXBATONS HEADMASTER STEPS OUT OF CARRIAGE. POSSIBLY MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN EVER. DEFINITELY FLYING TO FRANCE AND TELL SUBJECT THAT SIRIUS "MIGHT" BE THERE.

1825: DURMSTRANG STUDENTS ARRIVE ON A SHIP THAT CAME OUT OF THE LAKE. SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING DITCHING HOGWARTS ASAP.

1827: VICTOR KRUM IS HERE. ABANDONING HOGWARTS SOON. AFTER I GET SOME MORE BACON RINDS. MMMMMM BACON.

Editorial note: While I like the format of the log, I don't think Mark's take on Hedwig is right. I find his rendition of her a bit mean and unpleasant, and find her tone off-putting at times. But I do like the format he chose to write about the story from an animal's POV. I always imagined that Crookshanks had nothing but the greatest affection for Hermione, and would think the tone of his log would reflect this sentiment.

So things don't get confusing (What? Here on Five Words? Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 464751818), we'll need to include the time, recorded in military style (24 hour clock), as part of our 5 words.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Tips on Writing Letters to the Editor

Post  Potteraholic Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 pm

Tips on Writing Letters to the Editor:

These tips were posted during the writing of Story #128, "The Daily Prophet, 10th March 2008".

I looked at this website that has an article entitled, "How to Write Letters to the Editor" by Richard Rider: http:*//*www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/activist/howlte.htm. It was very informative. I'm bookmarking it. And on The New York Times website (http:*//*www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/lettertoeditor.html), it says, "Letters for publication should be no longer than 150 words."

So let's aim for that? Give or take a few words? And write a few different letters about the same topic perhaps? Or even different topics, as there are usually 3 or 4 different topics in the Letters to the Editor section. To get a range of perspectives?

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of JKR's 'Hagridspeak'

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:25 am

List of JKR's 'Hagridspeak':

This was first posted during Story #130, "Bill and Fleur's Wedding: The Deleted Scenes".

Thought it might be a good idea to start a list of 'Hagridspeak', starting with the quotes from the Lexicon, as a handy reference. Hagrid might appear in this wedding story (#130) again, and may turn up again in future stories.

List of JKR's 'Hagridspeak'

words

more words

phrases

sentences

• yeh/yeh've (you/you've)    
 • yer (you're or your)
 • an' (and)
 • codswallop
 • dunno (don’t know)  
 • firs' (first)
 • Gawd (God)
 • ter (to)
 • migh' (might)
 • ev'ry (every)
 • apar' (apart)
 • o' (of)
 • don' (don't)
 • can' (can't)
 • wen' (went)
 • wasn' (wasn't)      
 • fer (for)
 • jus' (just)
 • Sorta (Sort of)
 • tha' (that)
 • gotta (got to)
 • wha' (what)
 • more'n (more than)
 • abou' (about)
 • tha's (that's)
 • 'Course (Of course...)
 • Ah, shut up, Dursley…
 • yeh great prune
 • 'S long as (As long as...)
 • was dead chuffed
 • 'cos me mum
 • in me second year
 • 'em second chances  
    (them second…)
 • There's some who'd say...      
 • "He fell asleep as we was flyin' over Bristol."
* dropped 'g' at the end of words: swarmin', flyin', anythin', meanin'

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of JKR's 'Fleurspeak'

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am

List of JKR's 'Fleurspeak':

This was first posted during Story #130, "Bill and Fleur's Wedding: The Deleted Scenes".

Thought it might also be a good idea to start a list of 'Fleurspeak', using what I found in 'The Wedding' chapter of DH and in GoF, since the Lexicon doesn't list any quotes on Fleur's page. I think a handy reference might be useful in this wedding story (#130) as she'll probably turn up in it, and she may turn up again in future stories.

"Bah," said Fleur… "Bill, don't look at me — I'm 'ideous."

"Yes, and zat eez all very good," snapped Fleur, "but still eet does not explain 'ow zey knew we were moving 'Arry tonight, does eet? Somebody must 'ave been careless. Somebody let slip ze date but not ze 'ole plan."

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: List of JKR's 'Viktorspeak'

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:35 am

List of JKR's 'Viktorspeak':

Since there's a list of 'Hagridspeak' and 'Fleurspeak', I figured we might as well have a list of 'Viktorspeak', too. He's not in our story yet, but he could turn up, couldn't he? And he may turn up again in future stories.

"... you know this man Lovegood vell?"

"... if he vos not a guest of Fleur's, I vould duel him, here and now, for vearing that filthy sign upon his chest."

"Grindelvald. (instead of Grindelwald) That is Grindelvald's sign."

"...this is his symbol, I recognized it at vunce."

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Please don't post NON-POSTS

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 am

Please don't post NON-POSTS:

We need to use our posts carefully here on Five Words to maximize the thread's capacity of approximately 1,005 posts. (Here, on forumotion, threads seem to end after 67 pages, so at 15 posts/page, that's 1,005 posts.)

Posts that don't contain the story's next five bolded words are called NON-POSTS. Posting a chat comment in the middle of the story without also submitting 5 new words in bold to advance the story will end up shortening the length of the thread, which could potentially mean not being able to finish a story within one volume, and having to continue it in the next. Doing this affects the story's continuity and its better to avoid this situation. Out of the current 14 completed volumes of Five Word stories, only one story had to be continued in another volume. This was due only to the fact that the story had not been completed when the server, World Crossing, closed on April 15, 2011.

Thanks for your help! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Five Words Bulletin Board: Revision Story Information

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:46 am

Revision Story Information

The following message was posted in Volume XIII, which was the first volume of Five Word stories on the Main Forum of the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum. The Previous 12 volumes had been written on the FanFiction Forum of the HPLF. There were still 800+ posts left on that Volume XII thread, so the remaining posts were used to revise previously written stories.

Here is the order of stories we will work on, as of Dec. 26, 2010:
Updated information since the original posting of this list.

1. "Fixing the Future" (Vol. XII) - revised
2. "Hogwarts, Year One, 1970" (Vol. XII) - revised
3. "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible" (Vol. XI) - revised
4. "A Family Gathering" (Vol. XI) - revised
5. "Dear Sisters" (Vol. XI) - in progress continued

Other stories will be added to this list as folks make suggestions. There will probably only be space on this thread (Volume XII on World Crossing) to revise a maximum of 10 stories.

Since the stories in Volume XIII (on the Main Forum) are relatively recent (as of this original posting), those stories will not be considered for revision yet.

Here are the stories from Volume XII:
- "Posting for Porlocks"
- "The Wandering Wizard"
- "Hogwarts, Year One, 1970" - revised
- "The Wagga Wagga Werewolf: A Fantastical Tale"
- "Fixing the Future" - revised
- "The Wilkinses Remembered"

Here are the stories from Volume XI:
- "A Touch of Transfiguration"
- "The Birth of a Hat"
- "A Neighborly Chat"
- "The Eye and the Storm"
- "A Family Gathering" - revised
- "Dear Sisters" - in progress continued
- "The 3 Ds: Dursleys, Dementors, and Dinner"/ Fourth Anniversary Special!
- "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible" - revised
- "A Birthday... Surprise!"
- "Owl Post!"
- "A Barrier Breached"
- "The Dursley Triumvirate" to read this trio of stories all at once.

Here are the stories from Volume X:
- "A Christmas Eve Surprise"
- "Rita Buzzes Around"
- "Dean and Seamus 'Roar' into Greece"
- "Malevolent Machinations"
- "Driving and Disapparation to... Destination, Unknown"
- "Lorcan d'Eath's Magical Plot"
- "Tales of the Easter Niffler"
- "A Blossoming Magic"
- "On 'The Cusp'"

For a list of other stories, click the link below. Thanks! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Potty Game: Five Words, Happy Birthday! messages

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:53 am

This post contains all the messages written to mark another year of Five Words stories here on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum. With each birthday, posters celebrate by writing more than 5 words: 7, 10, 12 and even 15!

Potty Game: Five Words!

Year 1

Spoiler:

Year 2 ½
Spoiler:

Year 3
Spoiler:

Year 4
Spoiler:

Year 5
Spoiler:
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Finn's Suggestions at the close of Volume V

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:55 pm

If you're new to Five Words, or even if you've been playing since since the beginning, take a look at some suggestions Finn (the creator of the Five Words thread on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum), made at the close of Volume V to improve our story-writing. The suggestions he made at the end of Volume II were not archived before World Crossing closed on April 15, 2011.

Finn BV - Jan 28, 2008 2:39 am

The last time I offered suggestions about Five Words was at the end of Volume II (not available), and I hope everyone reads that -- it's got a few tips in there to make posting an easier process (disregard that last point though about keeping track of the number of times you post -- we've worked it out now).

Please understand this is constructive criticisms for everyone, including me. So, some further thoughts:

Don't think too hard. Really, this is supposed to be an entertaining exercise in limiting your thoughts to just five words, and reacting to other people's thoughts. We're not here to write Harry Potter 8, the novella, we're just writing short vignettes, typically wacky ones, sometimes serious ones, and sometimes epic ones. It's just a game -- don't overthink the whole process. Write simply, and compose a fun tale.

Try not to bring the stories around to the same characters again: the trio, Neville and Luna seem to pop up quite frequently. Obviously, it's fine to have them in the story, but there's a lot more fun it to feature characters you know less about -- for example, in the young Lily and Petunia story. I think we've been pretty good about this, but I just want to throw it out there so that we don't keep reading about Harry, Ron and Hermione forever.

A little trick about hyphens. Generally, if the word is an adjective, there's a hyphen. If it's a noun or a verb, there's no hyphen. If a string of letters is hyphenated, it's all one word. If it's not hyphenated, it's more than one word. I just Googled "hyphenated adjectives" and this page is great at explaining the rule with its exceptions. Obviously, hyphens can trip you up a number of times in your word count, because you could write "twenty-five-year-old boy" not knowing if it's all your five words or just two words.

Please, just have fun! This goes back to my first point, but I want it to be a fun, fun, fun experience for everybody. Don't get so caught up in the number of times you post or the intricacies of the stories that it detracts from the FUN level.

This is an open invitation to everyone to offer suggestions. There are only six posts left on this thread, however, so you're welcome to continue them in the new thread -- though I would recommend you post comments beneath your five words, in the same post, to preserve posts! I will start Volume VI now, but let's not post there until we max this one out.

Happy Five Wording!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories with Harry, Ron, and Hermione

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:26 pm

This is a perpetual work-in-progress, periodically updated. Thanks! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Stories with Harry, Ron, and Hermione

(Click on the story title to read that story)

Story #  Volume #   Story title    Date posted    # of words  
I
 "Ron slumped into the comfy armchair."    Nov 1, 2005  
I
 "Ginny stood up quickly."    Nov 23, 2005  
I
 "Harry stared down at his outfit."    Dec 12, 2005  
I
 "The Order Member We've Never Formally Met"    Jan 25, 2006  
I
 "Hippogriffs, Voldemort, Dementors, and Luna"    Feb 12, 2006  
I
 "Hogwarts Epidemic"    May 3, 2006  
III
 "The Mystery of the Owl with a Lime Green Beak"    Sep 26, 2006  
IV
 "The Hidden Powers of Arnold"    Oct 25, 2006  
IV
 "The Potion"    Nov 12, 2006  
V
 "The Three-Horned Creature's Wax Seal"    Nov 29, 2007  
V
 "The Trouble with Time"    Dec 6, 2007  
IX
 "Tales of HRH: Hermione Remembers When..."    Nov 29, 2008  
IX
 "Tales of HRH: Ron's Long-Held Secret"    Dec 8, 2008  
IX
 "Tales of HRH: Harry Strikes While the Iron is Hot"    Dec 20, 2008  
97, 98, 99
IX
 "Tales of HRH: A Miameron"    Dec 20, 2008  
XIII
 "The Chronicles of Crookshanks"   Jan 1, 2011  

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories with Harry and/or Other Hogwarts Students and Staff

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:27 pm

This is a perpetual work-in-progress, periodically updated. Thanks! Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 2752390508

Stories with Harry and/or Other Hogwarts Students and Staff

Story #        Volume #      Story title        Date posted     # of words  
I
 "The Crumple-Horned Snorkack and the Almighty
  Michael Corner"

Jan 3, 2006  
I
 "A Valentine's Day Love Chiliaicosikaienneagon?*"   Feb 25, 2006  
I
 "Extreme Dueling: Hogwarts Edition"   Mar 20, 2006  
II
 "The Tale of the Occamy"   May 24, 2006  
II
 "Grawp’s Night of Confusion"   Jun 27, 2006  
II
 "Harry's Night of Confusion"   Jul 3, 2006  
III
 "Honking Daffodil Pie"   Jul 9, 2006  
III
 "The Christmas Party"   Jul 12, 2006  
III
 "All in a Day's Work" (Note: with Viktor Krum)"     Aug 19, 2006  
III
 "Tax Forms, or, the Giant Chicken in the Road"
  (Note: with the Dursleys, too)"

Oct 16, 2006  
IV
 "Aurora"   Feb 26, 2007  
IV
 "Clues and Pebbles"   Jun 15, 2007  
V
 "The Sparkly Sandals"   Jul 7, 2007  
V
 "Springtime for Slytherin": Our Golden Anniversary     Jul 29, 2007  
V
 "The Rocking Chair Prophecy"   Aug 22, 2007  
V
 "Snape and the Jobberknoll"   Sep 7, 2007  
V
 "The Hyde Park Picnic"   Oct 7, 2007  
V
 "Colin and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"     Nov 11, 2007  
VI
 "Presenting... the One, the Only... Gilderoy Lockhart!"    Mar 17, 2008  
VII
 "The Malevolent Manticore"   May 7, 2008  
XI
 "The Eye and the Storm"   Sep 11, 2009  

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - * Odds and Ends * Stories

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:35 pm

* Odds and Ends * Stories

I
 "Just Another Week at the Ministry"   Apr 23, 2006  
III
 "The Story That Wasn't"   Aug 19, 2006  
N/A
IV
 "The Spike Headed Purpletail Dragon"   Nov 26, 2006  

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories with James, Lily, Sirius, Remus, and/or Tonks

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:25 pm

Stories with James, Lily, Sirius, Remus, and/or Tonks

I
 "The Wacky Story About Lupin, Umbridge, and Dancing"   Mar 14, 2006  
I
 "A Job for Umbridge"   May 15, 2006  
XI
 "A Squiddish Task"   June 6, 2006  
V
 "The Urn of Agrippa"
  *Note: there were 2 different endings for this story,
  hence the different word lengths
  Jan 15, 2008  
1080/1550
XI
 "A Family Gathering"    Sep 30, 2009  
XIII
 "The Wandering Wizard"   Feb 24, 2010  
XII
 "Hogwarts, Year One, 1970"   Apr 1, 2010  
XIV
 "The Clean Half-Dozen: Saving Daniel Radcliffe"   Oct 9, 2010  
122R
XII
 A Revision of "Hogwarts, Year One, 1970"   Nov 30, 2010  
XIV
 "Harry's First Birthday"   Dec 12, 2010  
113R
XII
 A Revision of "A Family Gathering"   Dec 26, 2010  

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories of the Marauder Era

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Stories of the Marauder Era

IV
 "Sirius' Adventure"   Dec 19, 2005  
IV
 "A Day in Diagon Alley"   Apr 12, 2007  
IV
 "Orion's Ordeal"   May 29, 2007  
VII
 "The First Defiance"   May 18, 2008  
VII
 "Marauder Rescue"   Jun 13, 2008  
X
 "A Christmas Eve Surprise"   Jan 9, 2009  
XII
122R
XII

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories about the Childhood Friendship of Lily Evans and Severus Snape

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Stories about the Childhood Friendship of Lily Evans and Severus Snape

V
 "A Playground Memory"   Jan 22, 2008  
VIII
 "Sneaking Around"   Aug 1, 2008  
XI
 "Dear Sisters"   Oct 9, 2009  
XII
122R
XII
XV
 [url=---]title[/url]     date  
# of words

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Stories featuring Severus Snape

Post  Potteraholic Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Stories featuring Severus Snape

III
 "Professor Snape's Dueling Lesson"   Sep 3, 2006  
VII
 "Expecto Patronum!"   Jun 18, 2008  
IX
 "A Second Chance"   Sep 26, 2008  
IX
 "Dumbledore and Snape: A Tale from the Afterlife"   Nov 10, 2008  
XIII
 "Professor Snape Reports"   Feb 16, 2011  
XV
 "A Moste Potente Hallowe'en"   Aug 28, 2011  

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 17 Empty Re: Archive of Five Words Stories

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next