Will Harry Return to Hogwarts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:12 am

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

Kip Carter - Jul 18, 2005 3:59 am
co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!
Edited Nov 17, 2005 2:50 pm

Phelim McIntyre suggested this new thread with, "At the end of HBP Harry says he will not be returning to Hogwarts. I disagree because of JKR's comments in the past about the Gray Lady.

Could we have a thread to see what others think?"

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts thread index

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? (Post 1 to 50)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:19 am

Netherlandic - Jul 18, 2005 4:17 am (#1 of 343)
I disagree as well because otherwise JKR would not have invented a seven book story if Harry wouldn't go trough seven years of education. However, it is possible that he will spend little time there, or receive private lessons from McGonagall or likewise. <\font>

- - - - - - - - - -
septentrion - Jul 18, 2005 4:26 am (#2 of 343)

Art by Makani, icon by Pearle
Harry doesn't want to tell anyone but Ron and Hermione about what has become his quest. If he doesn't want to go to school to track down Voldemort's devices, he'll have either to find a very convincing motive or to fly and go into hiding from both LV and the Order, as I don't see him betray DD and speaking of the horcrux to anyone. Besides, the less people know about it, the safer it is for LV will remain unconscious of the danger (like Sauron was unconscious his ring was right in his territory). If Harry is in hiding, LV is bound to guess what's happening, but if Harry goes to school, he's kind of hiding in plain sight. Plus, with Snape and Malfoy out of the picture, it'll be more difficult for LV to have accurate reports about Harry's actions (don't trust the Slytherin much about that, they're not clever enough to my mind, and if Slughorn is head of house, they'll have to watch their steps). Of course, all of this suppose Hogwarts will be open.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 18, 2005 4:32 am (#3 of 343)

Unless the Ministry try to be awkward, Harry will pass his apparition test. This and his cloak will allow him to slip out. Or the vanishing cabinet.

I believe that there is a Horcrux at Hogwarts, where better to hide it? Harry will need to return because something important is there.

- - - - - - - - - -
Grindylow - Jul 18, 2005 4:47 am (#4 of 343)

What comment did she make about the "Gray Lady"? What IS the Gray Lady?

- - - - - - - - - -
essie125 - Jul 18, 2005 4:52 am (#5 of 343)

Jo, of course I think about Alan when I think about Snape, Who wouldn't think about Alan all day every day eh.
I don't believe that this is the last we have seen of Hogwarts I also believe that there is a Horcrux at Horwarts. And what better place then the Chamber of Secrets. What if he made the Basilisk into a Horcrux? That would mean that there are already four horcruxes destryed. That is if R.A.B. succeeded in destroying the horcrux. Hope the title of book seven isn't going to be Harry Potter and the indestoyable horcruxes LOL.

By the way I loved Ron and Hermione's reaction that they will go to Harry's uncle and aunt with him. and then will look for the horcruxes with him. I just love them both.

- - - - - - - - - -
Susanne - Jul 18, 2005 4:56 am (#6 of 343)

I think Harry will return to Hogwarts, even if he only uses it as a base. His final fight with Snape shows how much he needs to learn if he wants to survive and I think he needs to be at Hogwarts to do that.

JKR gave an interview to a competition winner here in the UK on Sunday and she said 'Ravenclaw will have their day' so there must be at least a visit to Hogwarts.

Susanne

- - - - - - - - - -
wwtMask - Jul 18, 2005 6:05 am (#7 of 343)

I don't think Harry will return to Hogwarts as a student. Knowing him, he is probably thinking that, since he is "the chosen one", the longer he waits to confront Voldemort, the more people will be hurt. While he still has much to learn, I think he may have reached the end of what normal education can teach him. I think he will return to Hogwarts for help and insight and to possibly find one of the horcruxes, but his days as a student there are over. His battle against Voldemort is finally the most important thing in his life and I don't believe Harry will let it take any longer than necessary.

- - - - - - - - - -
Prongs Patronus - Jul 18, 2005 7:15 am (#8 of 343)

I think it is time for the students at Hogwarts to do what the Sorting Hat asked of them--and band together as one. I think there will not be Houses in Book 7, but a true Dumbledore's Army, working to defeat Lord Voldemort. And that is where Ravenclaw will "have its day". They are the scholars of the bunch--they will be able to help enormously in research of techniques and such. I think that Harry Potter will have to "teach" DADA, as he did before--but openly. (Too bad that new wand didn't help Neville more--he would have been a good second for Harry.) There won't be any wizards who will be keen to teach the subject, unless one of the Order consents to fill it.

PP

- - - - - - - - - -
Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 18, 2005 7:49 am (#9 of 343)

Grindylow, the Grey Lady is the house ghost of Ravenclaw House.

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jul 18, 2005 9:51 am (#10 of 343)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
Harry (or Hermione and Ron) will not return to Hogwarts in Book 7... Or rather, he at least will not return as a student. Him using Hogwarts as a base of operations is perfectly plausible (Hermione will want access to the library), but in terms of going to classes, taking tests and doing exams? No way. Horcruxes >>> Newts.

I think that Voldemort will seize control of Hogwarts sooner or later. Perhaps the final duel will take place there... but he nonetheless won't be there to get an education. He has what he needs already.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verbina - Jul 18, 2005 12:11 pm (#11 of 343)

Image by me. Base by Nefertiti at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
For some reason I get the feeling that Harry will do what Dumbledore was doing...looking for clues and finding things out about Voldemort. We have been told by JKR that we shall see Krum again so either Krum comes to them, or Harry goes to where Krum is.
Though it is possible that Harry will return as a student. It is possible that someone will appeal to him to return to prove that it is safe or whatever. And no I don't mean the new MoM. Someone that Harry trusts completely like McGonagall, Hagrid or perhaps even Neville or Luna. McGonagall is very strongly supportive of the school as are a few other teachers. Hagrid, whom Harry is close to, lives there. Neville and Luna...they are very reliant on the school and Harry (They were the only ones that kept checking their DA coins) He may then return as a student and use it as a base of operations as said previously. Especially if the last horcrux is there as we suspect. And I do think the last fight will be there. Remember that Dumbledore did say that the place is filled with old magic and secrets that Voldemort wants to get at.

- - - - - - - - - -
L. Evans - Jul 18, 2005 1:45 pm (#12 of 343)

I subscribe to the "base of operations" idea. I think it highly unlikely that Hogwarts will notplay a major role, especially with the introduction of the Hogwarts-relic Horcruxes. Even with Dumbledore gone, Hogwarts still has certain strengths- secret passages, the Marauders map, the apparition ban as well as a good deal of impressiveness.

Whether school continues or not I feel like it will be impossible, considering all the previous books' contents and even the new things we have learnt, for Hogwarts not to be central to the plot. It's pretty central to the wizarding world as a whole.

- - - - - - - - - -
sere35 - Jul 18, 2005 2:19 pm (#13 of 343)

I don't think he will return as a full time student. I think he will show up perodicaly to consult with dumbledores portrait and to use his pensive.

- - - - - - - - - -
Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Jul 18, 2005 3:25 pm (#14 of 343)

No day but Today
I agree that at some point Harry must return. Hogwarts is too central to the series for him to abandon it completely. Perhaps he may return as an undercover student but in reality he won't have to do homework or even go to classes, and will be able to make frequent getaways under McGonagals watch.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hexenhammer - Jul 18, 2005 3:51 pm (#15 of 343)

Something I want to through into the mix is Harry’s age. At the start of book seven Harry will be of age. That means he can do magic and that gives him a lot freedom. I bring this up as it releases Harry from Hogwarts in a way.

As far as going back to going back to Hogwarts I think he will return for any number of reasons but a primary reason would be to collect things from Dumbledore and to see what Snape left behind. There could be important clues to be found in either office.

On a side note I wonder if the final battle will be at Hogwarts or Godric’s Hollow where it all started at.

-Hexenhammer.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jul 18, 2005 4:40 pm (#16 of 343)

Join us for the Philosopher's Stone Watch-A-Long
I like the idea of the last Horcrux being at Hogwarts. Voldemort could have left it there the day he came to ask for a job. When Harry went into the Room of Requirement to hide his book, he passed loads of stuff (one of which, mentioned casually in passing, was the Vanishing Cabinet which was, of course, the exact thing Malfoy was up to the whole time). It could be any of those things!

I hope Harry will return to Hogwarts. Whether as a student or not, I don't know. Studying for N.E.W.Ts, especially if he still wants to be an Auror, will take up a lot of time (a LOT of time if he wants to get top grades) and he doesn't have that time really. The thing is, if he doesn't go back his Auror ambition is kinda out of the window. (Unless McGonagall lets him back a year late, which she might - she swore to help him become an Auror if it was the last thing she did, after all.) And J.K. has hinted in the question/answer session she did with the 70 cub reporters that his ambition might have changed in book seven.

- - - - - - - - - -
virgoddess1313 - Jul 18, 2005 5:17 pm (#17 of 343)

I believe he will return and as a student. I don't really have any real reason for thinking this, it just seems right to me.

- - - - - - - - - -
Geber - Jul 18, 2005 5:47 pm (#18 of 343)

Although the characters don't know it, we know that by the end of the 7th year, Riddle will be dead. Once he is dead, there won't be nearly as much call for aurors, so Harry will be apt to choose a diferent career. Or Harry will also be dead.

As for Harry returning to Hogwarts, JKR must understand that Harry is a role model to younger readers, so she probably won't want him to drop out of school for fear of encouraging younger readers to do the same.

- - - - - - - - - -
firebolt - Jul 18, 2005 7:17 pm (#19 of 343)

I think Harry will definitely return as a student - I think one or more horcruxes are hidden at Hogwarts, or will be found only by using assistance only available at Hogwarts (the Gryffindor sword, the sorting hat). Hogwarts didn't close down 16 years ago when Voldemort was in power, and I think it will stay open now - the Ministry will find a way to make it at least secure enough that parents will be okay with their kids being there. Probably a lot of parents will prefer their kids to be away at school, especially of course the parents who are working against Voldemort.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harry stayed on after graduation as the DADA teacher, and that the jinx on the job died with Voldemort.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 19, 2005 2:03 am (#20 of 343)

Firebolt - I think that JKR has said that Harry doesn't becoem the teacher.

My thoughts are that Harry will return. Firstly because I think the Grey Lady is actually Rowena Ravenclaw, and she will give a major clue as to what her artefact is that Voldemort used.

Secondly, while Dumbledore is dead there is his portrait.

Thirdly, it is the place where Harry has felt most at home.

Also there is more to Trelawney than I first thought.

- - - - - - - - - -
narisa - Jul 19, 2005 7:44 am (#21 of 343)

I think he will return as a student as usual. He need to study if he want to be an auror or what so ever. I don't think he will like this, but he will be persuade by (my guest) Lupin. Even if there is no more LV, there will still be plenty of work for the auror, to finish the mess and well, LV isn't the only dark wizard, he is only the most powerful. Harry can't just live with his father gold after that.

He still have plenty of free time, isn't it? compare to Hermione who take a lot more class(4 or something). And he have weekends and nights to do thing s with helps from all people. Somehow I think maybe he will quit Quiditch, or doesn't be captain, that will give him more time.

- - - - - - - - - -
psipsina - Jul 19, 2005 8:01 am (#22 of 343)

I was reading through other threads when I was reminded about the "magic late in life" theory....

Is it possible that the help that Harry will receive will not be from the "usual suspects" like the order members, but from someone else?

JK already said that we have met HER already, but do not know much about her as an order member. So...who have we met that we do not really know much about? And who could discover magic late in life? And who could be an Order member, but be inconspicuous about it?

Maybe Petunia? Could she be the one helping out Harry?

Just some random thoughts.....

- - - - - - - - - -
Verbina - Jul 19, 2005 8:25 am (#23 of 343)

Image by me. Base by Nefertiti at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Edited by Jul 19, 2005 8:48 am
Ummmm may I point out Arabella Figg....neighbor to Harry, member of the Order but a squib. Met her before but don't know alot about her. Could be.

EDIT - thought of something to add to this...she was working with Mundungus in OotP. She may be asked by Harry to help find Mundungus since he has been taking things from Grimmauld Place and there is a chance that a Horcrux is there. That may lead Harry on a merry chase indeed!

- - - - - - - - - -
Devoncroix - Jul 19, 2005 9:23 am (#24 of 343)

J.K. Rowling said in an interview that book seven would be about Ron, Hermione and Harry Getting ready to take their NEWTs this suggests that not only will Haryy return but that he will be involved in school work. I am going to try to find the exact quote.

- - - - - - - - - -
scoop2172000 - Jul 19, 2005 9:54 am (#25 of 343)

Count me in as concurring with those who think Harry WILL return to Hogwarts for his 7th year. The one-year-of-school per book has been central to the theme. I too agree that Rowling would not, in having Harry drop out of school, perhaps encourage other teens to do so.

I think Harry saying he won't return was a knee-jerk reaction to Dumbledore's death.

I think his breaking up with Ginny also was a knee-jerk reaction, a decision he's going to rethink over the summer while at the Burrow for Bill and Phlem's (er, Fleur's) wedding.

- - - - - - - - - -
PensivePensieve - Jul 19, 2005 11:17 am (#26 of 343)

Hi All, this is my first post but I've read the theories in the forum for awhile and have always enjoyed the ideas -- my thoughts: 1) I also think Harry will return to school, but I think it might only be for a little while or may be later in the year -- a lot of the story so far has revolved around Harry and Voldemort's comparable lives (both orphans, both parseltongues, both powerful wizards who only find out about their past much later in life) so i see Harry kinda going on a personal "quest" like voldemort did, though Harry is doing so before finishing school. Voldemort undertook his quest for power, Harry does so for the salvation of his loved ones. (which is his greatest strength: fighting for others will inspire others to do the same for him). I'd like to think that Harry, in his newfound appreciation of the seriousness of the situation now, will concentrate on Occlumency (which may have helped against Snape and would definitely help against Voldemort) and other spells that would help him make the best of the abilities he possesses. 2) I also think that Harry's severance of his relationship w/ Ginny was a kneejerk reaction and that while it was well intended, I think all readers would agree that Ginny is far too strong-willed to "sit on the sideline" and let the situation dictate her life; she'll do it on her terms.

Anyway ..... my thoughts.... now back to waitin for book 7;-)

- - - - - - - - - -
Professor V - Jul 19, 2005 11:25 am (#27 of 343)

I have come to the conclusion that Harry will indeed return to Hogwarts as Head Boy. There are several pieces of information that have led me to this:

1) My first thought when Harry was named Quidditch captain was that he was now eligible to be Head Boy. In one of the many threads I've read on this forum there was a discussion about how James had become Head Boy if he hadn't been a prefect. One of the ideas suggested there was that Quidditch Captains had a similar "rank" to Prefects and therefore could be considered for Head Boy.

2) I felt that the scene with Prof. McGonagall, Harry, Hagrid, and the other Heads of Houses in DD's former office also lends itself to this idea. They automatically included him in the discussion of the future of the school. They accept his opinion as if he is one of them.

There are other reasons, but as I'm in rather a hurry, I'll explain more later. Please not to many dungbombs my way.

- - - - - - - - - -
dobbyiscool - Jul 19, 2005 11:59 am (#28 of 343)

Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily this is not difficult. --Charlotte Whitton
I doubt Harry will be made Head Boy, but I am sure he will return to Hogwarts. He may drop Quiditch (and Ron could then be Quiditch captin and Headboy, just like what he saw in the Mirror of Erised), thus giving him more time to research. It would tip LV off that something is up if he stopped going to school.

- - - - - - - - - -
May Crook - Jul 19, 2005 2:06 pm (#29 of 343)

I think harry might return to hogwarts (if they open) and I think that becoming Head boy would give him the freedom to get done what needs to be done and may be the incentive to bring him back. McGonagall would name him head boy because she would want his help if she needed it. And she knows that what Harry has to do is Important even if she does not know what it is, so she would help him like she did Dumbledore, without questioning reason.

- - - - - - - - - -
Kazius - Jul 19, 2005 2:06 pm (#30 of 343)

Skeptic
I am going to join the side that believes Harry will return, possibly as Head Boy.

I believe most of the summer Harry will spend finding Horcruxes, perhaps all of the ones outside of Hogwarts, then use his time in Hogwarts to search for some, as we know that he needs to find Hugglepuff's cup, along with a Gryffindor and Ravenclaw object for each.

That being said, I believe that Harry will not be a full-time student, taking trips as Dumbledore did, and will be aided by the fact that he is either Head-Boy or will get special treatment because he'll join the Order.

- - - - - - - - - -
Oruma - Jul 19, 2005 3:02 pm (#31 of 343)

Edited by Jul 19, 2005 3:04 pm
IMHO, Harry will return & stay in Hogwarts, for the following reason:

(1)He needs to set an example for the other students, to come back to Hogwarts. It's PR work just like Scrimgeour wants, but it's for Hogwarts and I don't think Harry can refuse.

(2)Harry needs the education. He's not powerful enough to face Voldemort yet. I think that, despite what he's feeling, he'll use Snape's HBP book again, and learn more from it. Not to mention the research required to find the remaining Horcruxes.

(3)I don't think there will be any Quiditch next year, but Harry will remain Captain and becomes Head Boy. I mean, Flitwick and Sprout must be impressed by Harry too (when they're in DD's office discussing Hogwarts' future); McGonagall, Hagrid and Slughorn all have very high opinion on Harry also. And who else can compete with Harry for it? Unless Harry turns it down, of course.

(4)Harry needs to converse with DD's portrait, obtain Gryffindor's Sword and Sorting Hat, and Fawkes the Phoenix will help tremendously.

- - - - - - - - - -
Deb Zawacki - Jul 19, 2005 3:19 pm (#32 of 343)

I think that Harry will go to Godric's Hollow, go his parents grave and/or discover something there-- perhaps meet the ghost of Gryffindor himself who will convince the the children to return to school--that they must in order to complete some necessary role.

McGonnagal is definitely from Scotland so she may have some role--recall JKR saying that the spouses of staff members might play a role

- - - - - - - - - -
OkieAngel - Jul 20, 2005 12:24 am (#33 of 343)

I touched on this subject during a post over on the Future of Hogwarts thread. I'm going to re-post it here for your consideration.

I think that Harry will return, after some serious conversations from the likes of McGonagall, Molly, Hermione, and possibly even Remus, who will point out that even if he doesn't attend classes on a regular basis, it would be in the best interests of the school and it's students if he was there. If somebody puts it to him in this fashion (It's your duty to be there and DD would expect no less from you), then I don't see him shunning that responsibility. Plus, Ginny will be there, along with Neville and probably Luna. Along with the main trio, these three once again showed that they were willing to stand and fight the good fight, just like they did at the DOM. My gut instinct says that they will play a part in the big battles to come as well. I feel that the final confrontation will be at Hogwarts, because LV has already shown an obsession with the school and it's secrets, with DD "gone" I'm sure he's ready to breeze in and tear the place apart. Which is why Harry is going to need to be there to prevent it.
I think Hermione is a shoo-in for Head Girl, not sure about Head Boy. Ernie, or Justin maybe. I would be shocked if Harry got the honor, but they could decide to give it to him to try and convince him that his leadership was needed at the school.

I like the idea of the trio traveling to Godric's Hollow and meeting up with Gryffindor himself, that would be way cool. I also agree that Harry is not near powerful enough to face LV in a to-the-death fight. He has the potential, and the courage, he just needs the proper tools. I was hoping he would get some instruction from DD, but alas earwax, we got the history of Tom Riddle instead. Not that that isn't important, but I was hoping for some rock 'em sock 'em dueling instruction. Eerie that the person who gave Harry any kind of instuction at all of this kind was Snape. That's just creepy. Back to topic, I think Harry will return as a student, but with license to come and go pretty freely.

- - - - - - - - - -
Fawkes-The-Phoenix - Jul 20, 2005 12:25 am (#34 of 343)

Nooooooo!!!!!!!Ron & Hermione CAN'T be together...DEATH TO RONALD!!!!!!!!!!
I for one think Fawkes might not return, remember? It said in chapter 29, Pheonix lament, that "And he knew,without knowing how he knew it, that the pheonix(Fawkes) had gone,had left Hogwarts for good, just as Dumbledore had left the school,had left the world ... had left Harry." Sad I'm going to cry

- - - - - - - - - -
PensivePensieve - Jul 20, 2005 6:13 am (#35 of 343)

With regard to Fawkes coming back to Hogwarts, I also doubt he'll return; but I read somewhere in an interview (in one of J.K. Rowling's famous inconclusive answers) that Fawkes may still have a role to play -- which would fit with a lot of the themes of the books: friends standing up for each other out of loyalty and love, not fear. I can see Fawkes as an extension of Dumbledore, aiding Harry from the grave, so to speak.

- - - - - - - - - -
Professor V - Jul 20, 2005 6:41 am (#36 of 343)

I mentioned yesterday that I had other reasons to believe that Harry would return to Hogwarts. Okie Angel beet me to the punch on one of them, the position of Head Boy given to Harry might help to influence his decision to stay. I also agree with May Cook that the position of Head Boy might allow Harry a little more freedom to move around the school. I might also mention that while we all love Harry and would probably agree that he is pretty outstanding, he also has alot to learn and what better place than at Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Dobby4Pres - Jul 20, 2005 7:09 am (#37 of 343)

Harry has no need to come back to Hogwarts anymore. Think about it: the reasons he went to Hogwarts were because a)he had no idea how to kill Voldemort b)because his friends were there c)because it was like a home to him and d)because it offered him protection

Now he knows what he must do to kill Voldemort and he feels he has to do it soon. DD is dead and Hogwarts is no longer safe. It won't seem like a home anymore, it will seem like a graveyard. His best friends that he has left at Hogwarts are Hagrid, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. They already said (at least Ron and Hermione directly and Ginny indirectly) that they would stand by him the rest of the way. They'll go wherever he goes. Considering all these reasons, what good can come out of going back to Hogwarts? What do you think Harry would rather do now: get revenge on Voldermort for killing his mentor, his godfather, and parents or go back to Hogwarts to learn about charms and plants?

- - - - - - - - - -
Spursgirl79 - Jul 20, 2005 9:20 am (#38 of 343)

I think it gives JKR more scope to move the action around in the last book. Clearly Harry can't find all the Horcruxes if he's stuck at school all year. And after the emotional and explosive ending of HBP, going back to the standard formula of classes and quidditch games would be a bit mundane.

I still think that Hogwarts will feature in book 7, and I also think the final showdown with Voldemort will take place there (the mysterious school graveyard?), but this way we're not confined to the standard school timeline/environment that we've seen before.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ag Hart - Jul 20, 2005 9:27 am (#39 of 343)

Harry may need to return to Hogwarts for a number of reasons, including at least one reason why Riddle wanted to return. Hogwarts holds may secrets and items that Harry needs to access and perhaps even safeguard. He also carefully hid the Potion book there, so I think he will retrieve it at some point.

Dumbledore is buried there, and his spirit more than likely may be felt strongest at Hogwarts. No other head of Hogwarts has ever been buried there, so his presence will certainly be felt more strongly than other heads. Even his portrait (or his imprint) could retain a stronger sense of Dumbledore's self then the other portraits. ....And then there is Dumbledore's wand. Where is it? Is it still at Hogwarts? Did anyone retrieve it? Has it been found? Was it buried with DD? One might expect that the wand of a wizard as great as Dumbledore would have his wand retired, but since I don't recall JKR mentioning it, it seems that it could become a plot point in the next book. If Aberforth or Harry is not given the wand, then Harry would have to go and retrieve it. I am certain it has great information. (Think of the reverse incantations possible.) In any case, Harry would need to find it, even if only to keep the Death Eaters from getting it.

No matter what, I think JKR will wish to complete the seven school year cycle and will, therefore, find a means of doing it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Nate - Jul 20, 2005 10:29 am (#40 of 343)

I think that if Harry returns to Hogwarts he might not attend classes, but he may get some training. I think that either Aberforth or Kingsley is the "order member we have not properly heard about". As such I would expect that one of them may have the role of teaching Harry how to use magic powerfully. Or McGonagal could do the same thing teach Harry the use of his powers. In any case I think this teaching will come at Hogwarts. Hogwarts is by far the safest place. I also like the idea of the Order of the Phoenix moving to Hogwarts, then they might all teach Harry. Hogwarts is just too important to the plots to vanish. I agree that the class structure and the lifestyle at Hogwarts (ships, classes, Quiddicth, etc.) is history, especially in light of the fact that this structure was emphasized so much in this last book, a calm before the strom if you will. He will be back at Hogwarts, JKR just loves it way to much for Harry not to come back.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ant Hem - Jul 20, 2005 10:41 am (#41 of 343)

If Dumbledore thought it was important enough to remain headmaster of Hogwarts whilst leading the Order, then Harry will find it necessary in his heart to be there too, and though he may not return for the start of the term, he'll soon realise he has more to learn. Dumbledore didn't say "Harry, you're in mortal danger, I'll hide you away somewhere safe", did he? No, he allowed Harry to continue with his education in as normal a manner as possible and to fight Voldemort as an extra-curricular activity. I believe Hogwarts will be very different in Book 7, but Harry will end up there. I'm sure he won't be Head Boy though - he's probably got enough on his plate without that extra responsibility. If Hermione is Head Girl (and she does seem a shoe-in), she'll have enough privileges to get access to otherwise forbidden areas, and of course she'll favour doing good instead of obeying rules given the current climate.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 20, 2005 11:03 am (#42 of 343)

I think Harry will return to Hogwarts to look at the Hiding Room. There has to be something important hidden there.

- - - - - - - - - -
hopping hessian - Jul 20, 2005 12:26 pm (#43 of 343)

"Extrodinary claims require extrordinary proof" -Bill Nye
I personally don't see Harry at Hogwarts anymore. I mean, is the place really that safe? There's a brilliant essay on Mugglenet that numbers the many times that Hogwarts security has been breached, and with DD gone, it would be even less secure.

I also thought it was significant that, during the last fight with the Death Eaters, the points hourglass for Gryffindor was shattered. I also took note of the fact that though his team won the Quidditch Cup, Harry did not play. Both these events symbolize, to me, that school things are no longer important in Harry's life.

- - - - - - - - - -
May Crook - Jul 20, 2005 1:09 pm (#44 of 343)

I think Harry will return to Hogwarts and I think I saw somewhere in an interview of J.K.R. that the next book will pick up where book 6 left off I think over the break Harry will do everything he can outside hogwarts and find that he needs to return to hogwarts to finish his task. Also on the American printing of all hp books on the spine there is printed YEAR 1,2,3... NOT BOOK 1,2,3... I always took that to mean school years.

- - - - - - - - - -
Geber - Jul 20, 2005 2:55 pm (#45 of 343)

If Harry does return to Hogwarts, he will have a good deal more freedom to move around off the school grounds, especially at night, because he can either fly his broom or apparate without violating all the under-age magic rules. There might or might not be school rules about that, but school rules have always been nearly irrelevant to Harry.

- - - - - - - - - -
dobbyiscool - Jul 20, 2005 5:04 pm (#46 of 343)

Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily this is not difficult. --Charlotte Whitton
May Crook- I thought of that, too. That was what bothered me most about Harry saying he wasn't going to return to Hogwarts. The books are labeled YEAR 6, etc., and JKR I thought explained that she was writing one book for each year at Hogwarts, but I could be making that up.

- - - - - - - - - -
Chillyman - Jul 20, 2005 5:09 pm (#47 of 343)

There is no way Harry will not return to Hogwart's at all. As many have said, Hogwarts is too essential to the series to just abadon. It is also, perhaps, the safest place in the wizarding world. I know that the Death Eaters were able to sneak in, but I am sure that wasn't their first attempt to siege the school either. Every blind dog finds a bone is the saying.

Harry will most definitely return to Hogwarts to consult with professors about the history of Tom Riddle/Lord Voldemort, along with visiting the portrait of Dumbledore to discuss the horcruxes, his strategy, his wizarding skills, and use the pensieve.

But if Harry is to return to Hogwart's as a student, it will not be your traditional student. I believe every professor at the school is aware of what lays ahead for Harry. Therefore, Harry's areas of study will be more consentrated on what he will need most, like DADA, Potions, Charms, Transfiguration, and Occulemncy (which I think he will likely suceed the second time around). Harry isn't a powerful enough wizard to face LV at this point, so these lessons will be required if he wishes to face the dark lord in a match destroy LV.

- - - - - - - - - -
Potterhead - Jul 20, 2005 6:10 pm (#48 of 343)

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I did not see a reference to it yet. I just read Part 2 of the Leaky Cauldron / MuggleNet interview with JKR, and she says of the Quidditch match for which Luna gave commentary "[y]ou know, that was the last Quidditch match. I knew as I wrote it that it was the last time I was going to be doing a Quidditch match."

So, perhaps Harry will be at the school at some point, but he will not be a regular enough student to be on the Quidditch team, it seems. I am sad, since he'll never be Head Boy, either. All of the milestones we were all looking forward to Harry reaching . . . his life's just been de-railed, hasn't it? But I guess we should have seen it coming.

On a lighter note, I bet Ginny will be Captain (assuming she doesn't insist on coming with Harry, that is . . . )

(edit for typo) Smile

- - - - - - - - - -
KWeldon - Jul 20, 2005 8:26 pm (#49 of 343)

Potterhead, you beat me to it. I think that was a huge piece of information.

- - - - - - - - - -
virgoddess1313 - Jul 20, 2005 8:41 pm (#50 of 343)

"Although the characters don't know it, we know that by the end of the 7th year, Riddle will be dead. Once he is dead, there won't be nearly as much call for aurors, so Harry will be apt to choose a diferent career."-Jerr Ashton post #18

I know this is going back a bit, but, I'm not sure that I agree that aurors will no longer be needed. Just because Voldemort may be gone doesn't mean that there won't be any need to protect the wizarding world from other dark wizards. In fact, I think that it would leave the door open for other witches or wizards of a like mind to try and grab power. We've even heard of a dark wizard prior to Voldemort.

No, I think that even beleiving that he will defeat Voldemort, Harry knows that there is still a lot for him to learn and that the world will never truly be safe from the threat of evil. Even with Dumbledore gone, there is still a huge pool of knowledge at Hogwarts that I believe Harry will draw from the complete the tasks that lay ahead of him.

Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? (Post 51 to 100)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:20 am

Amilia Smith - Jul 20, 2005 11:27 pm (#51 of 343)
I agree that there will still be a need for aurors after Voldemort is gone.

Maybe if you defeat the greatest Dark Wizard of all time, they let you into the Auror Training Program even if you don't have the prerequisite NEWTs?

Mills.

- - - - - - - - - -
Wisey - Jul 20, 2005 11:50 pm (#52 of 343)

Harry will need the resources of Hogwarts to increase his magical skills, he will have to return. Snape was still trying to teach him even at the end on Bk6 - Harry needs all the teaching he can absorb, because as far as we know he can't detect "majic" yet, so how is he going to find the Horcruxes.

The last scene will be at Hogwarts where LV will try to recover the last Horcrux he left when he killed Moaning Myrtle.

- - - - - - - - - -
Potterhead - Jul 21, 2005 5:04 am (#53 of 343)

Wouldn't it make sense, though, if he had created the diary after killing Myrtle? Also, with regard to Harry becoming an Auror, JK says in that new Leaky interview that she always intended that to be Harry's ambition, so I don't think he'll stray from that just because he chops the head off the snake, so to speak. As DD says, it's always a losing battle, fighting evil, but one that you have to keep fighting. There will always be dark wizards.

- - - - - - - - - -
narisa - Jul 21, 2005 7:23 am (#54 of 343)

Wisey, I think so. How can Harry be able to hunt LV? No way, He doesn't have enough skill. I think stay at school is a better idea, for LV will come him anyway. He can stay there, prepare to fight LV and in the mean time find a way to find Horcruxes.

- - - - - - - - - -
hopping hessian - Jul 21, 2005 8:58 am (#55 of 343)

"Extrodinary claims require extrordinary proof" -Bill Nye
If Harry does return, which I still doubt, I agree that he will be a "special" student. If he does not, I can see him recieving one-on-one instruction in various forms of magic from various Order members instead. However, school just doesn't seem like the right place for Harry anymore.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verbina - Jul 21, 2005 9:38 am (#56 of 343)

I do think that LV will go to Hogwarts for the last Horcrux but...I don't think it was from killing Myrtle. Myrtle was killed by the Basilisk so would not have effected LV's soul.

- - - - - - - - - -
timrew - Jul 21, 2005 3:26 pm (#57 of 343)

Middle-aged Harry Potter fan
Harry will have to return to Hogwarts to consult Dumbledore's portrait...........

- - - - - - - - - -
Ag Hart - Jul 21, 2005 4:45 pm (#58 of 343)

Dumbledore is such a great wizard his portrait should be in many places outside of Hogwarts, thus allowing him to move from portrait to portrait. (Does anyone know if the portraits can act on their own, other than just talk that is? I only remember them acting when called upon.)

Horrible Thought:The portraits of past heads are sworn to help the current heads. Let's hope no evil person such as Umbridge manages to wrestle the position from Minerva.

In any case, I believe Harry needs to go back since so many of DD's belongings are there. I hope someone can teach him to use those silver instruments.

- - - - - - - - - -
Chillyman - Jul 21, 2005 7:12 pm (#59 of 343)

Good point Ag Hart. JK mentioned those silver instruments far to often for them to not be of any importance whatsoever. If my memory serves me correctly, JK made it known they were there every time Harry visited DD in HBP.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verbina - Jul 21, 2005 9:10 pm (#60 of 343)

Ag Hart - About the portraits, I think they can move from portrait to portrait on their own if they want to. Phineas was giggling at Harry from his portrait but was not visible in OotP at Grimmauld Place. So it would seem that they can go where they want. Also, the other paintings in Hogwarts...they can go where they want within the paintings. The Fat Lady went and got snockered for instance. Though, as they are not portraits per se the rules may be different for them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ag Hart - Jul 21, 2005 9:35 pm (#61 of 343)

Edited Jul 21, 2005 10:06 pm
Verbina, in the case of Phineas, I believe he was sent there to keep an eye on Harry. DD at one point mentions that Sirius knows better than to destroy Phineas' portrait, since DD needs him to send messages to headquarters. I think he stays out of sight for his own reasons. However, you're absolutely right about the occupants of the various portraits scattered throughout Hogwarts. I too wonder if there is a different set of rules for them as it the sworn duty of the portrait headmasters and headmistresses to come to the aid of the present head when called upon. They would need to be there, ready and waiting.

Chillyman, Harry may also need Godric's sword again, and we need to find out about DD's watch and wand. The wand must at the very least be retired properly and not be allowed to fall into the wrong hands. Just think of all the past spells that DD cast that could be extracted. Much could be learned about what DD was up to. Good if it is Harry learning DD's secrets, bad if it's the Ministry or Death Eaters.

- - - - - - - - - -
veraco - Jul 22, 2005 1:53 am (#62 of 343)

I think Harry will come back to Hogwarts because if he comes back he is less likely to attract too much attention to him.

If he just disappears I can see the complete Order trying to find him and than might prove dangerous since Harry should try to find the Horcruxes without attracting too much attention to him, although I don't think he will do it entirely on his own.

But in the case he does not come back, I still think there might be a visit to Hogwarts to search for clues that might have been left behind.

I do not think that Dumbledore has taught Harry all he meant to teach him. Maybe he left a recollection of his memories to Harry, so he could learn from them and use them as a kind of guide to find the rest of the Horcruxes, and as means to destroy them?
I just don't think Dumbledore didn’t think of the possibility of him dying before time and leaving Harry entirely of his own. I know this is a path Harry will have to walk by himself in the end, but I think Dumbledore, and why not Fawkes, will play a roll in the next book, and I think it will be important.

Maybe I’m wrong but, didn't JKR mention in one of the interviews given for the released of HBP (I think I was during the round of questions of the Club Reporters, CBBC Newsround) something like that you never see Fawkes while you are in the Pensive with Dumbledore. Then she said she was sorry because it was not in this book (HBP). And, I might be a bit crazy, but I do not think she was talking about past books and “travels” into the Pensieve, especially since those travels where all mostly related with someone else’s but Dumbledore’s.

I think she might have been talking of future trips of Harry into Dumbledore’s Pensive, and I like to think he will be doing so in order to get more knowledge of the Horcruxes and the Headmaster.

- - - - - - - - - -
The Wandless Wizard - Jul 22, 2005 3:31 pm (#63 of 343)

When wands are outlawed, only outlaws will have wands.
veraco- It was the Cub interview where she says that. I don't think she was referring to a future event. I think she was referring to Riddle's diary in CoS. She changes what she says to, "When Harry has previously seen the study with a different headmaster he saw it with Dippet and Fawkes was not there then." Harry saw the office under Dippett when he went into Riddle's memory through the diary. Unfortunately, I think the question was asking whether Fawkes ever belonged to Gryffindor as the fan sites speculate and JKR assumed the question was asking whether Fawkes was a Hogworts headmaster legacy. Oh well, I think her answer eliminates both possibilities.

-TWW

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Jul 22, 2005 6:31 pm (#64 of 343)

"I think that, despite what he's feeling, he'll use Snape's HBP book again, and learn more from it. Not to mention the research required to find the remaining Horcruxes."

I agree. He'll need to learn a few more of Snape's spells, since they are one of the few ways of making Snape lose his nerve...

Which reminds me... It can't hurt if he learns Occlumency either...

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. D. - Jul 22, 2005 6:59 pm (#65 of 343)

I'm sure the other students will have a whole new attitude regarding Harry. I don't believe they have had the opportunity to really see himk in action as they did knocking them out of the way and chasing the DE's out onto the grounds. Talk about a "distraction" in the class. LOL! I mean he is bound to look more impressive than most the staff at this point.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ag Hart - Jul 22, 2005 8:38 pm (#66 of 343)

Since DD was entombed near the lake, we still haven't had the scene that takes place at the Hogwarts' cemetery for which many of us were waiting. As it must figure into the last book instead, might not Harry need to return to Hogwarts for dramatic purposes? So few chapters take place from other points of view. Perhaps he will need to visit the tombs of the founders who might be buried there. I can't think who else might be buried at Hogwarts, since we now know that past headmasters and headmistresses aren't.

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Jul 22, 2005 9:21 pm (#67 of 343)

My Patronus is a Crumple-Horn Snorkack
Has anyone discussed Dumbledore's CoS prediction yet in this thread? I'm on dial-up tonight (yecch) and can't Search. It certainly might have a bearing in whether Hogwarts can survive.

It's interesting that both HBP and CoS involved Slytherin and LV.

- - - - - - - - - -
David Olson - Jul 23, 2005 6:50 pm (#68 of 343)

Harry will return to Hogwarts, if not for school, then for business. Riddle's cup for special service is almost certainly a Horcrux "commemorating" the death of Moaning Myrtle. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Helga Hufflepuff's cup in disguise.

Also, I would like to suggest that Harry/Ron/Hermione actually unite the Houses. Ron is a loyal and true --- how Hufflepuff. Harry is Gryffindor/Slytherin, and Hermione is Griffindor/Ravenclaw. Book 7 will be the only book without some kind of serious infighting between them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Prongs Patronus - Jul 24, 2005 3:59 pm (#69 of 343)

Why couldn't Harry use the Room of Requirement at Hogwarts to find any Horcruxes hidden inside the school?

Also, if the corresponding Vanishing Cabinet could be bought and used, say, from 12 Grimmauld Place, why couldn't it be moved there to a)keep the Death Eaters from using it again, and b)giving the members of the Order a quick and discrete way to enter Hogwarts?

I have to wonder whether Harry will use #12 again--I know it holds painful memories for him. What better place to headquarter the Order than Hogwarts? That way, Harry could be at "school", allaying suspicion, and the Order could do the research necessary to find the Horcruxes.

Harry does have to kill Voldemort alone--that doesn't mean that he has to search/find the Horcruxes alone, or even that he should.

PP

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. D. - Jul 24, 2005 6:33 pm (#70 of 343)

Prongs what a really great idea! Simply concentrate on a place unplottable and unknowable to the DEs. Give Harry another reason to be at Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Crissy - Jul 24, 2005 8:03 pm (#71 of 343)

Chillyman, in post #47 you mentioned that all the professors know what's in stake for Harry. Yes, they know that Voldemort is after him to kill him, but they don't know the WHOLE story - they don't know what the prophesy says. They don't know that "for one to live, the other has to die" thing.

And I too, believe, that Harry is returning to Hogwarts. Number one, like others have mentioned, the school has been a central part of the story thus far, and I don't think JKR is going to change that. Also, I too don't think that Harry is sufficiently prepared to face LV. He will need to return to Hogwarts to become a better-trained wizard. While he has the potential, passion, and will, he doesn't have all the necessary tools to fight.

On another thought, since now my mind is racing and I just thought of this next idea, I don't think DD would have died before giving Harry ALL he needed to fight LV. Remember that DD showed Harry a lot of LV's past. Maybe it's not "fighting skills" and such that he needs to defeat him, maybe it's something else...

I do think book 7 will continue more or less where we left off in book 6. Book 7 will be action-packed, and what a better way to do this than start with fresh aftermath? I think Harry's going to Hogwarts will happen quite a few chapters into the book, though.

See you all later! :-D Crissy

- - - - - - - - - -
veraco - Jul 25, 2005 3:23 am (#72 of 343)

TWW

Ooops.... sorry, you are right. The only thing I have to say in my defense is that I might have been a bit distracted when I read the interview and once again my english trick me.

That said, I still like the idea of Harry getting to know more about Dumbledore and the idea of Dumbledore leaving a kind of guide for Harry behind in case of his death.

Maybe this is because I would like to know more about Dumbledore, but hey It could happen, couldn't it?

I also think Harry will be back at Hogwarts, I don know if he will be back to have regular classes, but I think Hogwarts is more important to the whole plot than just being a school, and I think Harry might find that in the castle he can get a lot more help than he thinks.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verbina - Jul 25, 2005 8:14 am (#73 of 343)

Re read GoF (preparing for the movie LOL) and came across something interesting. Another reason for Harry to return to Hogwarts...Dobby. In GoF, American Hardcover, Chapter 21, page 380 Dobby tells Harry "Dobby likes Professor Dumbeldore very much, sir, and is proud to keep his secrets and our silence for him." The house elves, which everyone ignores, could know a great deal of what was going on.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 25, 2005 8:26 am (#74 of 343)

Verbina - good catch!!!!! Dobby, and also Kreacher, could give Harry some inside information. And we must not forget poor Winkey.

- - - - - - - - - -
virgoddess1313 - Jul 25, 2005 8:36 pm (#75 of 343)

"Also, if the corresponding Vanishing Cabinet could be bought and used, say, from 12 Grimmauld Place, why couldn't it be moved there to a)keep the Death Eaters from using it again, and b)giving the members of the Order a quick and discrete way to enter Hogwarts?"- Prongs Patronus

Except the Vanishing Cabinet is already known to the Death Eaters. I can't see that working out so well. If the second cabinet disappears from Borgin and Burke's who's to say some curious Death Eater might not hop in and see where they come out? Seems risky. Especially since the Secret Keeper of the order in deceased. We don't really know what the impact of that will be yet. I don't see the Vanishing Cabinet being a reason for Harry's return.

I do see the house elves as very promising. They are privy to a lot of information and Harry's relationship to Dobby and even Kreacher I see as extremely beneficial.

- - - - - - - - - -
Flo - Jul 26, 2005 6:05 am (#76 of 343)

Hello everyone (as I am a new member, I wanted to say hello to everybody)

I believe another reason for Harry to return to Hogwarts (even if only from time to time) could be DD's portrait. I don't know if someone's portrait can provide as much help as what that person used to do when alive, but maybe it could help Harry, or at least provide him with some moral support. I do not think it is a coincidence that JKR alluded to DD's portrait having appeared in the headmaster's office : she thus reminded readers of the fact that former headmasters of Hogwarts all have their portrait in the headmaster's office.

BTW, do we have information on how portraits work ? i.e., can a portrait be hung anywhere ? (e.g., could a portrait of DD be hung at the Burrow, so that the Weasleys and Harry could "talk" with Dumbledore when necessary ?)

- - - - - - - - - -
Shannon aka Brammwell - Jul 26, 2005 11:53 am (#77 of 343)

Financial Services Representative
I believe Harry will return to Hogwarts but not as a student. JKR had commented that it was a little sad writing the last Quidditch match that she would write in the series. Other then GoF Quidditch has been a continuous thread in the school and for her to no longer write about it leads me to believe it will be because the school will no longer be the central setting. Also, without Dumbledore I cannot foresee Hagrid staying as it was because of DD that Hagrid was allowed to stay and it was Hagrid's allegiance to DD that also kept him there. As for Neville, I believe he may join Harry, Ron, and Hermione as he was never a great student and he only came into his own when with them. Some say Ginny would be a factor for Harry to return. I believe harry wants to distance himself from Ginny for the time being, until he's destroyed Voldemort. He loves her too much to put her in danger and by being his girl friend she'd surely be put in the line of fire, that is why I belive he had to break up with her for the time being; to keep her safe, and further why he would not want to bring Hogwarts into danger.

I belive Harry, Hermoine, and Ron will venture out to find the horcruxes but that their search will inevitably lead them back to Hogwarts. As DD himself said the only known article that was Gryffindor's was the sword which is in the Headmasters office there; could the sword possibly be a horcrux.

I do agree that Harry must learn more before he'll be truly capable to take on Voldemort. But as we've seen Harry and the other Hogwarts students do not need teachers to learn magic, they have been able to do so by relying on eachother and others. Let's not forget how gifted Neville is in herbology, how Harry could learn more about Potions from the book that Snape left behind, Hermione's giftedness in charms, and having Remus who could continue to teach them Defence against the Dark Arts. Alas, we've seen that Voldemort learned much more about magic through his travels then he did at Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jul 26, 2005 12:11 pm (#78 of 343)

Librarian
You're forgetting Luna and her Blibbering Humdingers and Ginny and her Bat Bogey hex.

- - - - - - - - - -
Shannon aka Brammwell - Jul 26, 2005 3:50 pm (#79 of 343)

That is very true; Ginny is a very competent witch, and Luna is also very handy. I could see both of them assisting in helping Harry to find the horcruxes.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. D. - Jul 26, 2005 4:58 pm (#80 of 343)

I agree with DD and Harry that there is only one more Horcrux to be found (that is unknown anyway) and that it will probably be a Ravenclaw artifact. I think he will find it in the room of Requirement. I think there is a good possiblity that he may attend in some fashion.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mad Madame Mim - Jul 26, 2005 5:01 pm (#81 of 343)

"Don't tell me you've never heard of the marvellous Madame Mim?"
Harry doesn't have to see the portrait to talk to Dumbledore. Why can't he use Dumbledore's chocolate frog card? He would have Dumbledore in his pocket.

Hogwart's represents childhood, I don't think Harry will return as a student. He seemed to certain about at the end of HBP. But that does not mean we will not see action at Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
virgoddess1313 - Jul 26, 2005 7:00 pm (#82 of 343)

The frog card it a photo, I thought. We've never really seen a photograph interact with the veiwer, have we? I think painting and photographs have different properties.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mad Madame Mim - Jul 27, 2005 9:27 am (#83 of 343)

"Don't tell me you've never heard of the marvellous Madame Mim?"
He winks and leaves. Ron said that you couldn't expect Dumbledore to hang around all day (on the train ride in PS). Also in OoP, Dumbledore hoped that they wouldn't remove him from the chocolate frog cards. His pictures at the ministry would seem more useful than the cards, but their removal didn't seem to bother him.

- - - - - - - - - -
J Hood - Jul 27, 2005 9:30 am (#84 of 343)

I think that you are right that photos have to have different properties otherwise I would expect that Harry's parents would have talked to him at sometime. It seems as if that although photos can move, they can't talk or help in anyway.

I think that it was just in the movie that he winked. "It showed a man's face. He wore half-moon glasses, had a long crooked nose, and flowing silver hair, beard, and mustache. Underneath the picture was the name Albus Dumbledore." . . . "Harry turned the card back and saw, to his astonishment, that Dumbledore's face had disappeared."

- - - - - - - - - -
Wisey - Jul 27, 2005 7:30 pm (#85 of 343)

Dumbledore impressed on Harry the need to learn LV back story in Bk6. Harry will have to return to Hogwarts, there is DD's pensieve, Prof Slughorn, Moaning Myrtle, the house-elves (which have mostly been ignored, I feel they will be most important)all have memories which will help Harry find the Horcruxes

- - - - - - - - - -
Susurro Notities - Jul 27, 2005 8:01 pm (#86 of 343)

Having just read 40 posts I have some observations, thoughts, and questions.

Headmaster's are apparently able to move from portrait to portrait without instruction. At the end of OoP Phineas marches out of his portrait when he learns that Sirius is dead. (p. 826 US hardcover)

It would seem to me that Gryffindor's sword would not be a horcrux as Harry was able to use it to assist in the destruction of another horcrux.

Possibly so few students return to Hogwarts that it is impossible to put together quidditch teams.

If the school has very few students it might change the way the school is run. Lessons might be more like individual tutoring. That would give Harry more freedom to come and go.

Will the Order of the Phoenix make Hogwarts their headquarters? This would provide significant protection to those students who do return and might be a source of information for Harry. Additionally order members would be available as tutors for advanced study.

Does Dumbledore have a will? If so that may decide what happens to his watch, wand, putter outer, and silver instruments.

- - - - - - - - - -
Shannon aka Brammwell - Jul 27, 2005 11:00 pm (#87 of 343)

I still believe that Harry's quest lead him to Hogwarts and will continue to be a resource to him but no longer in the capacity of a student. It appears that he, Hermione, Ron, and Malfoy have all outgrown the school and without DD there their connection to the school has extremely weakened.

I've also reviewed some of the posts and see alot of discussions centered around DD's portrait and his chocolate frog card as a way for Harry to communicate with him. I do not believe it is possible. I'm not sure, but I believe JKR or DD had said that the portraits are just an essence of the person and is not the person. They will say quotes much the same as their true self would have but not much more then that. They do not encompass all that their living selves were, thus one could not have a truly detailed conversation with them. If it was the case that it was possible, then I'd assumed that Professor McGonigal or Harry would immediately have gone to DD's portrait for guidance as to how next to proceed, but they did not.

As for the sword being a Horcrux, harry did not use it to destroy another horcrux, he'd used the poisonous tooth of the basilisk to destroy the Horcrux.

As to the horcrux of the remaining members of Gryffindor or Ravenclaw, DD stated on pge 472 HBP that the sword was the only known relic that remains of Gryffindor, which leaves only Ravenclaw. I believe it was already stated by another poster that the "sorting hat" would be a most valuable horcrux for Voldemort. It is the cornerstone of the school, represents all four founders, and is kept very safe by his enemies at Hogwarts. Who better to leave a horcrux with then your enemy who values it's worth as much as you do.

- - - - - - - - - -
Susurro Notities - Jul 28, 2005 4:53 pm (#88 of 343)

Edited by Jul 28, 2005 4:54 pm
Be assured that I remember the books well enough to know that Harry did not destroy the diary with the sword. I stated that the sword was used "...to assist in the destruction of another horcrux."

- - - - - - - - - -
wombat witch - Jul 29, 2005 6:02 am (#89 of 343)

I've just read all 88 posts above... phew!

OkieAngel - I like your thinking

Pensive Pensive - I'm sure Fawkes will appear before the end of book 7, even though Harry is sure he will not. I have the early formations of a theory involving Harry visiting the ruins of his parents home at Godric's Hollow and something vaguely 'phoenix-rising-from-the-ashes' about the whole experience... sorry, haven't got too far with that yet!

Susuro - I have been wondering if Dumbledor had a will too. I am pretty sure that I have read somewhere (JKR's website???) that DD doesn't have any decendents or close relatives. Would Harry benefit in his will or will others who can assist Harry receive what they need from it to carry on teaching him?

Veraco - (this is nothing to do with the thread)Your English is wonderful - I would have had trouble with following that! Until you mentioned it I couldn't have known that English might not be your first language!! Do you read HP books in English or another language? :-D

In general - I believe Harry will fit a lot into his summer, but at some stage it will become clear that he needs to return to Hogwarts for his final year. A combination of the-good-of-the-school (& Proffesor McGonagal) and his own need to learn more than he knows now (& also the whole safety in numbers factor). More members of the Order might be on hand, but I don't see the headquarters moving there - though I too had wondered what happens when a 'secret keeper' dies. It has been important for the Order to have people in various places such as the MoM and they would find it hard to remain a secret organisation if they all started living - not in their usual environment, but at the school.

I also agree with whoever mentioned that the whole routine of Hogwarts will change. (sorry I cannot remember who!!) I believe there will be far fewer students (some had already left or parents had threatened to take them out after the Katie & Ron near deaths) and that the houses will be less important as they all have to work/live/study together. This also would make Quiddich near impossible.

I'd be very surprised if Harry is Head Boy, but won't rule it out.

Phew - sorry for the length but I had to get all that out! Love to all my Potter-friends - :-D WW

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Jul 29, 2005 11:00 am (#90 of 343)

I'd be very surprised if Harry is Head Boy, but won't rule it out.

I don't think we have been introduced to anyone better qualified to become Head Boy... I personally would be very surprised if Harry ISN'T Head Boy...

- - - - - - - - - -
my athena - Jul 29, 2005 11:31 am (#91 of 343)

I do not think that harry or the others will return. there is no more time. this will be the final book and i think she will devote the entire thing to harry's search and destruction of the horcruxes(which may involve him using hogwarts for research) and finally to showdowns with snape and voldemort

- - - - - - - - - -
Briar Rose - Jul 29, 2005 3:18 pm (#92 of 343)

"Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. Ghosts are transparent ."
Edited Jul 29, 2005 3:53 pm
Prongs Patronus, I like your idea that there will not be Houses in Book 7. I think of all houses Hufflepuff was never biased. According to the Sorting Hat in OoTP, Helga Hufflepuff would take the rest of the young students and taught them all she knew. I think it's time to be as one in book 7.

I think Harry will devote his time in finding and destroying the rest of the Horcruxes. He may use Hogwarts for research. I'm not sure though if he will have the time to do his finals. I hope he does. He still neads to learn very much for this final battle against Voldemort. I also think there will be less students returning to Hogwarts.

EDIT: What I really hope is that Dumbledore has a will and leaves Harry something. If he does have one, then I hope that DD leaves him the Pensieve with his most important memories which could help Harry understand why he trust Snape, find out more about Tom Riddle and his parents.

- - - - - - - - - -
Deb Zawacki - Jul 29, 2005 4:54 pm (#93 of 343)

I suspect McG's promise to Harry that if she had to train him herself she would make sure he could become an auror--may come into play...I would hate to think that was just McG busting Umbridge's chops--notice how Harry rarely talks back to her and doesn't push things with her the way he does with others? McG's knowledge and personal history are as much a mystery as DD's so we really don't know what she knows and doesn't know.

Although he may have some work to do I don't want to see him do a Fred and George-- what message do the books send when a kids is allowed to "quit high school" cause he's got better things to do--

I also think that if Harry walks out on Hogwarts--his home and the source of his strength it would be a disservice to him. Recall in the movie reviews of COSthere was JKR's mention of a graveyard near Hogwarts--although there is no indication of other headstones at DD funeral--is there? What if Harry discovers that his parents are NOT buried in GH but at Hogwarts...remember James started leaving things with DD for safekeeping--like his cloak--so I think James may have known what was coming.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ag Hart - Jul 29, 2005 7:40 pm (#94 of 343)

wombat witch-- Don't forget that Dumbledore has a brother Aberforth and that is canon. JKR also said that discussing Dumbledore's family would be a profitable line of inquiry. Maybe she meant both his present day family as well as his ancestors.

Deb, I don't think DD was buried in the cemetery either. We know that the cemetery is significant and will be part of Book 7, so I've been wondering who is buried there ever since we discovered it is not the headmasters-- possibly the founders are. Maybe a horcrux is also buried there. I don't suppose Voldemort would resurrect the bones of Slytherin ? What about some epic battle involving the Founders in some graveyard scene?

- - - - - - - - - -
wombat witch - Jul 29, 2005 8:31 pm (#95 of 343)

Paulus Maximus - I totally agree that Harry is the best man for the 'Head Boy' job (no pun intended) but I cannot see him taking it that seriously at this time. He is no longer the boy who was hurt that DD didn't make him a prefect when Ron & Hermione were in their 5th year, and his priorities are very different. I believe he will return but his focus will be different and unless the 'Head Boy' role changes to reflect the changes to the school, he will not want to be burdened with it. ... although when I think of it that way... he might almost have to be head boy in order to give him authority over those students who do not know of his hidden abilities...

OK - you've got me thinking now, and that's dangerous! :-D

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Jul 30, 2005 7:01 am (#96 of 343)

I think that because Harry is off gearing up to fight the Forces of Voldie© that Ron will be Head Boy and Captain of the Quidditch team, thereby fulfilling all of his dreams as we first viewed them in the Mirror of Erised.

- - - - - - - - - -
LooneyLuna - Jul 30, 2005 7:57 am (#97 of 343)

I think Harry will return to Hogwarts. Not to go to school and take formal classes, but to complete his education and do research. I think that he could use Hogwarts as his base. He'll come and go just like Dumbledore did.

Someone else pointed out that Harry's opinion was given equal status among the teachers at the end. I noticed that too.

- - - - - - - - - -
Deb Zawacki - Jul 30, 2005 10:24 am (#98 of 343)

NEWT training, particularly in year 7 probably consists of specialized training, projects, research and internships rather than strict classes anyway-- Harry may, unfortunately, have to specialize in the Dark Arts--and this is sort of his thesis--how to kill a dark lord with a partial soul once he shares your blood...

- - - - - - - - - -
M A Grimmett - Jul 30, 2005 1:34 pm (#99 of 343)

There are good reasons both for and against Harry returning to Hogwarts for year 7. If he goes back, he can't be a regular student. He'd have to be dong tutorials instead of classes--he does have a lot to learn. I think Harry's kind of gone off his desire to be an auror since his opinion of the MOM has changed.

- - - - - - - - - -
wombat witch - Jul 31, 2005 2:31 am (#100 of 343)

how to kill a dark lord with a partial soul once he shares your blood...

I love the idea of a thesis with this title - maybe Harry could be published one day? There's another one for Jo to write once book 7s finished! Then again I would also love to purchase 'Hogwarts, A History' as Hermione has recommended it so highly!

Still think that the school will change a lot next year, fewer students, less emphasis on houses and much more focus on DADA and working as a team by utilising each individuals strengths. That's also why I think Harry will have an important place at Hogwarts and Hogwarts will be an important place for Harry. (not yet convinced that the final showdown will happen there - I think the whole DEs at Hogwarts was a climax in that respect... I think there's a huge clue or even a horcrux in the Hogwarts cemetery though...)

Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? (Post 101 to 150)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:21 am

Deb Zawacki - Jul 31, 2005 6:19 am (#101 of 343)
I do not believe that Harry is ready--Snape blocked all of his attacks, he couldn't take down Bellatrix, he hasn't mastered occlumency-prbably should develop some legilimency skills if he can--

He needs a master teacher full time--like the Grasshopper's teacher on Kung Fu or Karate Kid's Mr. Miagi or Luke Skywalker's Yoda--to train him as a warrior rather than a revenge seeking psychpath-- seems like Harry needs a vision quest or some sort of experience to clarify things for himself...it really wouldn't happen at the Dursely's...

He needs to be taught breathing and centering and focus for his own calm and for the strength of his spells ....Perhaps at Godric's Hollow he will find someone--even Gryffindor himself or perhaps Dumbledore in spirit form--I haven't seen that sort of instructiion in Harry's classes at Hogwarts--although perhaps there is a side to McGonnagal that she has kept under wraps and only made known to Dumbledore...who was HER teacher---

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs Brisbee - Jul 31, 2005 6:50 am (#102 of 343)

I do not believe that Harry is ready--Snape blocked all of his attacks, he couldn't take down Bellatrix, he hasn't mastered occlumency-prbably should develop some legilimency skills if he can-- He needs a master teacher full time --Deb Zawacki

I really agree with this, and was completely taken aback that no better efforts were made to give Harry the training he needs. He is about 2 years behind where he should be by now, because he should have been told the Prophecy at the end of his 3rd year (Trelawny's prophecy about the Dark Lord rising again provided Dumbledore with the opportunity to fill in Harry about what was going on, but he passed it up).

Harry does nothing over the summer at all, other than help fetch Slughorn. All year he has only a handful of lessons with Dumbledore. Yes, knowledge is power, but there is a lot more knowledge out there that he could have used too. Why can't Harry have someone other than Dumbledore impart it? Harry learns that Patronuses can be used to send messages, but no one bothers to tell him how this is done! It really drove me mad. The whole Occlumency thing was completely dropped, because Dumbledore says Voldy is employing it to protect himself against Harry, yet we learn at the end how important it is anyway (it seems foolish to me anyway to leave the choice of whether the connection between Harry and Voldy remains blocked all up to Voldy).

- - - - - - - - - -
Susurro Notities - Jul 31, 2005 7:53 am (#103 of 343)

Edited by Jul 31, 2005 7:57 am
It does seem that Harry is not ready to face the DEs and Voldemort. Still, Harry is excellent at Defense against the Dark Arts and he has had some Occlumency training. It should also be noted that he was no slouch in OWLs - he got seven mostly with what I would equate as A's to high B's. Maybe with Dumbledore's death/disappearance and in light of his stated mission he will really get serious about his studies - either at Hogwarts or on his own.

I am rather fond of the thought I put forth in post #86 of this thread. I think Harry will return to a Hogwarts with so few students that there aren't enough to make quidditch teams. Because of the diminished student body classes will be very small and will resemble tutoring rather than formal classes.

Maybe some members of the Order will stay at Hogwarts to protect the students that do return. They could serve as additional tutors.

- - - - - - - - - -
azi - Jul 31, 2005 8:44 am (#104 of 343)

Photo borrowed from Ardent Photography
I think the fact that Harry is not particuarly advanced at magic for his age is part of an important point JKR is making. Dumbledore emphasised that the only thing special about Harry is that he can love. Harry has no special powers, no secret hidden talents. He is normal. Except that he can love after all the terrible things that have happened to him.

At the end of the day, I feel he will not necessarily need to learn Occlumency, although I wish he would, because the whole point is that he isn't afraid to show emotion. Voldemort does not often show emotion, he cannot love and probably finds most emotions alien to him now. This is what sets Harry and Voldemort apart most in Dumbledore's eyes.

I do think Harry will return to Hogwarts at some point, even if he is not learning in classes. Hogwarts is like a home to him and he will find it hard not to return. He needs to learn non-verbal spells quickly and more counter-curses. He is currently no match for most Death Eaters and especially Voldemort. Perhaps, at the end, he will not need to be a match.

- - - - - - - - - -
frogface - Jul 31, 2005 10:16 am (#105 of 343)

Harry isn't really ready for what he's about to face, but then again he hasn't really got time to spare has he? The less time he spends hunting and destroying the Horcruxes, the more people are likely to die. In my opinion I think that the task ahead of him is so huge that all the training in the world wouldn't really prepare him what he's got to do next, I think he's just going to have to get on with it, and I think thats exactly what he plans to do after what he says at the end of HBP. I have to say azi that i disagree with you when you say that Harry is normal, he has shown himself to have exceptional magical talent in my opinion. He learnt how to produce at Patronus at the age of thirteen. I would agree with you that love is his most important gift, and the one that will defeat Voldemort but I don't think we can discount his ability so far. I mean, how many other wizards have faced Voldemort at the age of 11 and lived to tell the tale, or killed a giant snake at the age of 12? The list goes on doesn't it! I disagree with the majority of you and believe that Harry isn't going to be spending alot of time at Hogwarts, although I do think it will feature in the story whether it remains a school or not.

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Jul 31, 2005 3:21 pm (#106 of 343)

I think that Snape was right about Harry being "blocked again and again until he learns to shut his mouth and close his mind."

Of course, it is quite possible that Harry will learn just that, and that it will avail him nothing in his final battle with LV...

- - - - - - - - - -
Oruma - Jul 31, 2005 4:22 pm (#107 of 343)

Here's my two knuts: IMHO, I think Harry will return to Hogwarts, become Head Boy, study hard & train hard to upgrade his skills (in DADA especially), skip Quidditch, and hunts for the Horcruxes at school breaks (summer break, Hogsmeade visits, Christmas)

On a side note, I think that although Snape was a competent wizard, one reason hs was able to fight off Harry so easily was that Harry's using spells Snape himself invented. Thus, Snape was able to respond immediately and most effectively against Harry...

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs Brisbee - Aug 1, 2005 5:41 am (#108 of 343)

On a side note, I think that although Snape was a competent wizard, one reason hs was able to fight off Harry so easily was that Harry's using spells Snape himself invented. Thus, Snape was able to respond immediately and most effectively against Harry...

Yes. And also Snape has had plenty of practice breaking into Harry's mind during their months of failed Occlumency lessons.

Now I have a question: Was Dumbledore doing exactly what he counselled against and was putting too much stock into the Prophecy by not arranging any sort of practical training for Harry? He is not even taught how to use his Patronus to send messages-- something I would think would be top of the list after OotP.

- - - - - - - - - -
Prongs Patronus - Aug 2, 2005 1:06 am (#109 of 343)

Perhaps that is where Lupin can be useful--teaching Harry about the Patronus message system, and some practical DADA--after all, Lupin has been his favorite Professor in that subject, and the one who has taught him the most, so far. Harry is going to see him over the summer; the wedding and all the preparations--so, perhaps there will be time.

I am not discounting Tonks and Charlie or Bill in this equation, either. They must have been competent in DADA--they are members of the Order, after all, and have some real experience under their collective belts.

It seems to me that Harry has always been one of those people that uses what they know to its maximum---even though the repertoire may not be big, the uses put to that collection may be imaginative. He learns best from DOING, as opposed to Hermione's THINKING, and Ron's STRATEGY. Harry needs to know street fighting/savvy, and the members of the Order are going to be most helpful in that regard.

On a serious note: I do hope they put in precautions for the guests at the wedding; so many members of the Order in one place... not an entirely comfortable thought.

PP

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Aug 2, 2005 9:41 am (#110 of 343)

May be Hary doesn't need to know as much as we think. Could it be that JKR has the idea that the weak can becoming victorious inspite of their weaknesses?

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Aug 2, 2005 10:50 am (#111 of 343)

We know that Harry doesn't stand a chance against Snape unless he closes his mouth and mind...

And Voldemort MUST be more powerful than Snape...

- - - - - - - - - -
Finn BV - Aug 2, 2005 6:58 pm (#112 of 343)

Me kayaking, Niagara River, August 2006. I have been likened to Reepicheep in this photo.
I am not discounting Tonks and Charlie or Bill in this equation, either. --Prongs Patronus

Well, Charlie hasn't really done much in the first six, so I'd expect he'd better start fulfilling his mention!

He learns best from DOING, as opposed to Hermione's THINKING, and Ron's STRATEGY. --PP

Well said! Ron's strategy could perhaps be where all the mentions of chess prove worthy of being printed; this could be explored more on the Chess-reflection or projection? thread, perhaps…

We know that Harry doesn't stand a chance against Snape unless he closes his mouth and mind... --Paulus Maximus

No matter where Harry ends up next year (I'm thinkin' back at Hogwarts but I'll get to that some other time ), he will definitely have to learn Occlumency! There're too many instances where he could have used it so desperately and, not to mention facing Snape, but the big man Voldy himself? Not a chance!

- - - - - - - - - -
mike miller - Aug 3, 2005 10:52 am (#113 of 343)

aka The Barmy Old Codger
I think Harry's opinion of returning to Hogwarts will be different after the summer. At this point, we know of 3 events planned for the summer, 1) Visit the Dursley's, 2) Bill and Fleur's wedding, and 3) A trip to Godric's Hollow. A lot can happen during that time; and, I think Harry will listen to Lupin and Arthur at least. Also, Harry may have to go to Hogwarts as part of DD's will.

Many things seem plausible; and, they may be in the best interest of moving the story forward (let's face it folks, we're in the stretch run now) but it's all speculation.

The locket could very well be at #12 GP if much of our speculation is correct, so maybe there's a fourth stop before September 1st. Huffelpuff's cup could be hidding in plain sight in the Hogwarts trophy case making returning to Hogwarts a necessity. Harry may need to leverage his connections within Ravenclaw to speak with the Grey Lady to determine what relic may have been used by Voldemort.

Return to Hogwarts, YES. Play Quidditch, NO. Attend regular classes, NO. Talk to DD's portrait, YES.

- - - - - - - - - -
Wizadora - Aug 3, 2005 1:35 pm (#114 of 343)

Is Luna in Ravenclaw?

- - - - - - - - - -
Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 3, 2005 2:03 pm (#115 of 343)

Wizadora, yes Luna is in Ravenclaw I believe that was mentioned in Chapter 10 of OotP.

- - - - - - - - - -
Wizadora - Aug 3, 2005 2:05 pm (#116 of 343)

Well, maybe she will help Harry with the Grey Lady/question about the ravenclaw relic. that is of course if she doesn't come up with a crazy theory about it beforehand.

- - - - - - - - - -
mike miller - Aug 3, 2005 4:34 pm (#117 of 343)

aka The Barmy Old Codger
Wizadora - It's Luna "crazy" idea that just might play out this time.

- - - - - - - - - -
Deb Zawacki - Aug 3, 2005 5:47 pm (#118 of 343)

He could see inot Harry's mind if he wanted to but that requires some concentration and Snape was kinda preoccupied what with murdering DD and having to protect Draco--- but Harry was shouting out the spells and that was the whole point--he didn't use occlumency and he hadn't mastered silent spells--Snape didn't need any real ability --Harry gave it all away.

- - - - - - - - - -
Deb Zawacki - Aug 3, 2005 5:49 pm (#119 of 343)

Or Maybe Dudley is a Horcrux!

- - - - - - - - - -
Deb Zawacki - Aug 3, 2005 6:17 pm (#120 of 343)

Can Harry train to be an auror without NEWT certification and all the test/interviews? I don't know if he still wants that and some posts suggest that after LV dies there won't be a need although there will always be people seeking power....

If DD has really died, who then becomes the greatest living wizard? Harry has a Destiny but he lacks the wisdom of DD (which at 16 he wouldn't have)....

And what if Harry does lose the scar or is told that if he gives up the scar he loses all his magical powers and is then just a muggle or a squib?

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Aug 3, 2005 7:53 pm (#121 of 343)

Aurors are in the employ of the Ministry, and Harry is at odds with the Ministry. I somehow doubt that that tension will evaporate if Voldemort dies...

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Aug 3, 2005 9:10 pm (#122 of 343)

Harry's name was, according to Hagrid, in the book for Hogwarts attendance since he was born. Therefore, his magic is not contingent on his "Close Encounters of the Voldie Kind."

I would like to see him return, and I think he'll have to, just to brainstorm with other wizards. I think that something he finds in Godric's Hollow may push him back to Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Wizadora - Aug 4, 2005 8:30 am (#123 of 343)

Mike - You know that one of them has to pan out soon (as later is coming up very fast now). JKR created a character who would believe in the unbelievable for a reason. Just as she brought in Neville and his love of Herbology to the group of six.

- - - - - - - - - -
mike miller - Aug 4, 2005 12:57 pm (#124 of 343)

aka The Barmy Old Codger
Wizadora - I agree; however, JKR does place her "red herrings" and little sub-plots. We all seem to gravitate to these but they often just don't turn out to be that important.

Check my comments on the "Horcrux" thread, there are a couple of things that Harry will need to find out/understand and the Quibbler could very easily be the start of one of those "Adventures of Discovery".

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Aug 13, 2005 3:59 pm (#125 of 343)

The eyes are the windows to the soul...
At the very beginning of this thread, Phelim McIntyre said something about "what JKR said about the Gray Lady."

I'm still not clear what was being referred to by this. Someone else said something about JKR saying "Ravenclaw will have their day" -- is that what you were referring to, Phelim? I have been wracking my brain for a specific about the Gray Lady and have been stumped...

Thanks for any assistance!

By the way, I could've sworn I posted this in this thread, but apparently not... I can't believe Harry would not be coming back to Hogwarts as a student for his final year. Yes, he will have a lot of extracurricular work to do tracking down horcruxes and such, but he has a lot to learn. And why would JKR make her series seven books long and her school seven years long, unless they go together? She could've made a Hogwarts education be six years long, and then the final book in the series be all post-graduation. Plus I agree with earlier posts that there's lots of things yet to be investigated at Hogwarts, and the whole cemetery thing still should be answered.

The main reason, though, is because I think that a lot of parents and educators in the world would be very upset with JKR if she lets her hero drop out of school. She's already done the thing of "you-can-still-be-a-success-without-a-diploma" thing with Fred and George, and that's certainly very true and fine. But I wouldn't think she would want to make a habit of it.

I like the idea that the school membership may be lower this year, though, so the Houses all combine and that may be why no Quidditch.

- - - - - - - - - -
I Am Used Vlad - Aug 13, 2005 6:49 pm (#126 of 343)

I Am Almighty!
One possible answer for the "cemetery thing" is that his parents' graves are at Hogwarts. I think Harry will go to the Dursleys, then the wedding and then Godric's Hollow, only to find that his parents are not buried there.

So yes, I think Harry will return to Hogwarts. He will go there to visit his parents' graves, consult the portrait of Dumbledore and visit with his friends before setting out on his mission, but I don't think he will stay on as a student. Many people complained, on another thread, that HBP didn't cover much of Harry's classroom time, and that several students that we thought were going to be important players in the series faded into the background. I think this was done on purpose by JKR to turn the story away from things and people that will not be a factor in the final book.

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Aug 13, 2005 6:52 pm (#127 of 343)

Except I got the impression in Dumbledore's/Minerva's office at the end of HPB that it was rather unusual to bury people on the grounds of Hogwarts. Not quite the done thing, sort of.

- - - - - - - - - -
I Am Used Vlad - Aug 13, 2005 7:04 pm (#128 of 343)

I Am Almighty!
I forgot about that part, Saralinda.

However, I still don't think Harry will be a student next year. There is a quote that I don't think has come up on this thread in which JKR says something like Harry has to be of age in book 7 so he can do what he has to do. I think she was alluding to him leaving school early.

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Aug 13, 2005 7:20 pm (#129 of 343)

I thought it was so he could apparate and do magic without being busted for Underage Magic.

- - - - - - - - - -
I Am Used Vlad - Aug 13, 2005 7:44 pm (#130 of 343)

I Am Almighty!
Well, if he's at Hogwarts all year, he won't be able to apparate and will not have to worry about magic in front of muggles, which once again leads to the conclusion that he will not be at Hogwarts. And, although I will miss Hogwarts as the primary setting of the books, do we really want to read about Harry tracking down and destroying Horcruxes and defeating Voldemort only on weekends and holidays. I think not.

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Aug 13, 2005 7:51 pm (#131 of 343)

So you don't think he's the "Part Time Chosen One"?

- - - - - - - - - -
I Am Used Vlad - Aug 13, 2005 7:55 pm (#132 of 343)

I Am Almighty!
It sounds like a full-time gig to me.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Aug 15, 2005 12:06 pm (#133 of 343)

I was searching through interviews today and came across this one:

Q: You had all 7 books plotted out - the outlines?

JKR: I did, yeah.

Q: You did. So you didn't write one or two, and then as they became popular, then write the rest.

JKR: No no, not at all. I always planned that we would see Harry from starting at Hogwarts to finishing at Hogwarts, which is... In my world wizards come of age at 17 - age 17. So in book 7 you'll see Harry come of age, which means he's allowed to use magic outside school, and you'll see the end of that school year. So it will be 7 years in his life. (bold emphasis mine)

A bit frustrating. Why didn't she finish that sentence: "which is....." What??? She makes the point that he's able to use magic outside of school by Book 7, which might seem to indicate that he won't be in school for Book 7. But she also says we'll see the end of that school year, which will be 7 years of his life, which might seem to indicate that he WILL be in school. Argh...

- - - - - - - - - -
Ag Hart - Aug 16, 2005 5:24 pm (#134 of 343)

Since there is a cemetery at Hogwarts, someone must be buried in it. McGonagall says only that no other headmasters or headmistresses had been buried at Hogwarts before. My guess would be the original founders are buried there (at least some of them). I am, of course, distinguishing between founders and subsequent heads. If they are buried there, that would provide an additional reason why Harry must return. There may be important artifacts buried with or near them that Harry needs to investigate. I also suspect that the original founders may play a part in the final outcome. I've mentioned before that I can even envision a final battle where both the living and the dead (Hogwarts' ghosts) participate in the fray.

- - - - - - - - - -
nu9p - Aug 17, 2005 6:50 am (#135 of 343)

I think most likely, Harry will operate just like Dumbledore in HBP. He will be allowed to come and go as he pleases, not just weekends and holidays. He will be picking up the task that Dumbledore left behind. When he comes back to the school (after a mission), he will probably attend classes, and just pick up where he left off. I doubt he will fall behind because he will have Hermione to catch him up. He will also spend some time with Ron, Hermione, and Jenny (and maybe other "DA" members) to help him solve some of the horcrux issues. Something else is he (being now of age) may feed the order of the pheonix most of their information, and probably attend and even help lead their meetings. He will definitely be more involved. I think at the end of HBP we even see McGonagall looking to him for answers, whereas she would normally go to Dumbledore. I just feel that if Harry is going to be searching for the horcruxes and the destruction of Voldemort, he will be the center of the opposition (order of the pheonix), and he will need his friends, as Dumbledore told him in the HBP.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Aug 17, 2005 8:37 am (#136 of 343)

The school year may go on, but Harry may not return as a student.

He may get quite a lot accomplished in the summer before school.

Maybe he will change his mind.

Maybe Scrimgeour may ask him to return to encourage other students (and their parents) that it is safe to go back to Hogwarts. Harry may realize that his schoolmates are safer at Hogwarts than at home with the useless MOM protection guidelines, so he may comply.

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Search - Aug 18, 2005 3:50 pm (#137 of 343)

Consensus seems to be that Harry will return to Hogwarts. Lot's of good reasons, and I concur with most.

My first thought, though, was: where else does he have to go? Any other place has too many drawbacks. Even Number 12 has serious disadvantages. No one there to cook.

Hogwarts is the only place where he will have some safety, be with everyone he will need, learn magic he will need, and conduct his search for horcruxes. Hogwarts isn't the perfect place, with Dumbledore gone, but it is still far better than any other. Hermione will convince Harry of this.

A really horrible thought.

I don't think McGonagall has what it takes to be Headmistress. She was too indecisive during CoS and at the end of HBP. Worst thing to do is call a meeting to handle a crisis. She probably doesn't want the job, anyway.

The Ministry still wants to control Hogwarts, and, thereby, Harry.

The school governers pick the headmaster. We saw in CoS and OotP that they are, for the most part, controlled by the Ministry of Magic.

What better choice for headmistress than someone with previous exemplary experience.

UMBRIDGE!

Why not? She is still at the Ministry. The Ministry, and most everyone who wasn't at Hogwarts, thinks she did a great job. All the staff and students loved her. (Just read the Prophet.) Her only problem was those horrible centaurs that attacked her.

Wouldn't that be fun.

And Harry would restart Dumbledore's Army.

- - - - - - - - - -
Susurro Notities - Aug 19, 2005 8:41 am (#138 of 343)

Would Umbridge want to return to Hogwarts given her last experience there?

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Aug 22, 2005 12:23 pm (#139 of 343)

Harry needs to go back to Hogwarts. There is too much information there ready and on tap for Harry to investigate. 1) Dumbledore's and perhaps Snape's Pensieve 2) The Chamber of Secrets 3) Professor Trelaney 4) History on Ravenclaw (To find out which Items Voldemort could have been searching for to use as a Horcrux)

My guess is that Harry does get transfered into Slytherin (perhaps reluctantly) and finds out more info on Voldemort.

He also has his biggest weapons on hand there. 1) House Elves. Especially Dobby, Kretcher and Winky. 2) The D.A. 3) The Centuars and Merpeople (If he can convince them to join the fight.) 4) The Mauder's Map. (Think about it. What better place to hide than a place where you know where everyone is at all times so if a DE enters Harry will know right away.)

He may need to protect. 1) A "sixth" Horcrux if Voldemort has yet to create his last Horcrux. 2) The School and The Students 3) Professor Trelaney. (He does not want Voldemort to get a hold of the entire prophesy.) 4) Possibly Dumbledore's grave site. 5) The Mirror of Erised. (A theory I have.)

Plus, I think it would be nice as a reader to see a Hogwarts Graduation since we have not seen it yet. And he is loyal to Dumbledore so I am sure that if Dumbledore sent a message to Harry to go back to school, Harry would go back to school. (knowing Dumbledore he would have thought of this should something have happened to him.)

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Search - Aug 27, 2005 6:31 am (#140 of 343)

Okay, Harry goes back to Hogwarts. But there is still a lot we can speculate.

I note that, at the end of HBP, Harry hadn't yet left Hogwarts. This is a major change from the pattern we were used to for the first five books.

I suggest that Harry won't actually leave Hogwarts.

Yes, he will go to #4 Privet Drive for a time. He will visit Godric's Hollow. He will attend the wedding at the Burrow. But, these will be day trips or very short stays.

And, of course, where Harry is, so are Hermione and Ron.

Anywhere he is ... is dangerous. He won't want to endanger the Weasley's by staying there.

Harry has changed. With Dumbledore gone, he won't blindly accept anyone's orders. He will do what he thinks best.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ana Cis - Sep 17, 2005 12:44 pm (#141 of 343)

Zen: After the Ecstasy, the laundry.
Edited by Sep 17, 2005 12:46 pm
Harry will return to Hogwarts, if for no other reason, than the main battle between him and Voldemort will occur at Hogwarts. Dumbledore gave his reasons as to why Voldemort wants to take over Hogwarts.

1. It's the only place he felt at home
2. It's a "stronghold of ancient magic."
3. It's a useful recruiting ground for raising an army of Death Eaters
4. That's where Trelawney lives; LV still wants to know about the prophecy.
5. It's where the Founders are buried; although, we haven't been given the reason as to its importance.

Another thing, I don't see JKR not allowing Harry to complete his schooling. To me, it seems to go against her principles. However, that's just my opinion, not a point of fact.

- - - - - - - - - -
Sparrowhawk - Sep 17, 2005 1:21 pm (#142 of 343)

Good points, Ana! Add to this, that it's the very place where the only known relics of Godric Gryffindor - the sword and the hat - have been kept safe from Voldemort's clutches...

- - - - - - - - - -
Ana Cis - Sep 17, 2005 4:13 pm (#143 of 343)

Zen: After the Ecstasy, the laundry.
Sparrowhawk, now that LV thinks Dumbledore is dead (whether we assume he's dead or not ). I can picture him drooling over getting his hands on Gryffindor's relics!

- - - - - - - - - -
Akka - Oct 20, 2005 2:10 am (#144 of 343)

Hey all, It's been about a month that this thread is silent, but I just saw a quote by JKR that should settle the topic of Harry's return to Hogwarts In a 1999 interview JKR says "As I imagine it, there will be seven years at wizard's school, then Harry is a fully qualified wizard and it is then that he's allowed to use magic outside school. So, you'll see him into his final year at Hogwarts. The final chapter of the seventh book is written. That's for my own satisfaction, so that I know where I'm going as I write the other books. "

link to the interview [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

- - - - - - - - - -
nschend - Nov 18, 2005 7:01 pm (#145 of 343)

Please forgive me if I am repeating something already covered.

I do believe Harry, Ron, and Hermione will be back to Hogwarts for their seventh year. I believe this because Harry will still be receiving guidance and support from DD. Yes, his picture is still there. But, more importantly, in SS he tells Fudge that he will only truly be gone from Hogwarts when there are none left who are loyal to him. Harry then swears DD looks directly at Harry after saying this.

He will want to protect Hagrid, McGonagall, Ginny, Luna, and Neville. Harry will need the support of the DA and to talk to Kreacher. I believe we see Slytherin's locket in the treasure trove Kreacher is trying to save from Sirius' purge mode. That necklace is probably horcrux number four. Kreacher may have taken the necklace to Hogwarts when Harry bid Kreacher to work in the kitchens at the beginning of HBP.

Let me know if I am way off course.

- - - - - - - - - -
Diagon Nilly - Nov 18, 2005 8:28 pm (#146 of 343)

Didn't Dung have the locket? ....or was that the cup.

But yes, I also think Harry will be back at Hogwarts for similar reasons. Plus, someone will remind Harry that DD wouldn't have wanted Harry to drop out.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madame Librarian - Nov 19, 2005 6:39 am (#147 of 343)

An interesting twist might be that he intends to begin his search, defense, or whatever it is by going to Godric's Hollow, so he's not at Hogwarts for the start of the year. That way we readers get to re-visit the spot where his parents were murdered and he was AK'd. But, I don't think he'll stay away from Hogwarts too long because as many have suggested, there are too many important draws to that place. Those include: it's probably the best fortified place, his loyal supporters and closest friends are there, whatever form of DD returns to counsel him is there (pensieve, portrait, letters???), there are clues and secrets he needs to uncover there that will become critical in his struggle.

That said, I don't think it's necessarily going to be a return for academic reasons.

Ciao. Barb

Edit--Reconsidering my comment about it being the best fortified. That, of course, depends on the removal of that cabinet.

- - - - - - - - - -
sstabeler - Dec 15, 2005 1:36 pm (#148 of 343)

actually, I thing a simple vanishing spell would deal with the cabinet. or the purchase of the other cabinet, putting it in the staff room. or, of course, putting the other end secretly on a platform over the magma chamber of a volcano, or even better, putting the hogwarts end in a cell in azkaban. THAT would be amusing, I can just see the DEs going through the cabinet, expecting to come out in the ROR, when they end ip in Azkaban, and a guard whisks them off to a cell, then Voldemort realises somehting is up, goes through himself, and is captured, and instead of being thrown in Azkaban, is detained in the courtroom while the Horcruxes are found and destroyed, then the MOM let Harry do what e wants to Voldemort. I can just see Harry casting the cruciatus until Voldemort is insane, THEN casting an AK.

- - - - - - - - - -
Honour - Jan 7, 2006 5:03 am (#149 of 343)

Harry could still go visiting Godric's Hollow, during his Summber break, probably fit the wedding in as well as maybe do abit of reconaissance and research for the Horcruxes prior to starting his school year. Using Hogwarts as his base camp he can come and go, using the Marauders Map, Dobby and the ROR could both be quite handy and so would the invisibility cloak, the sneak-o-scope, and I am sure Hermione could rig up the mirror (from Sirius) so that the Trio can communicate. If Harry should need to be absent for a class I am sure Hermione could whip up another brew of Polyjuice or Tonks could just replace Harry? Oh the possibilities are endless! Roll on 2007!

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 8, 2006 6:35 am (#150 of 343)

There is a room in Hogwarts which is more important than Harry knows. He needs to go back to Hogwarts and discover it.

Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? (Post 151 to 200)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 am

Madam Pince - Jan 13, 2006 10:44 pm (#151 of 343)
Good point, Phelim. I think he's already discovered it, though, hasn't he? I'm thinking it's most likely the Room of Requirement, in "I-Need-To-Hide-Something" mode. Bound to be a Horcrux or two in there...

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 14, 2006 1:53 am (#152 of 343)

Yes he's discovered the room, but not its significance. So he needs to return to Hogwarts to discover the significance of the room.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jan 18, 2006 9:15 am (#153 of 343)

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes, definitely.

- - - - - - - - - -
Derek Robertson - Jan 22, 2006 7:07 pm (#154 of 343)

I am convinced Harry, Ron and Hermione wont be at Hogwarts for their 7th year because at the end of HBP Harry is telling Ron and Hermione where he intends to go and that he wont be going back to study at Hogwarts, I believe this therefore to be what will happen.

From the 2005 ITV interview: "When people have finished reading this book, they will really know what to expect in book seven and I think I give very clear pointers as to what Harry will do next."

But realisticaly Chosen one or not, how can JKR fit in Harry locating and destroying 4 horcruxes and killing Voldemort (with a meeting involving Snape in between) all in weekends and Holidays from Hogwarts over the course of 12 months? Also JKR said she had written her last quidditch match, meaning Harry wont witness any more because even though Hogwarts will be open (we know there will be a new DADA teacher) he wont be there to watch it.

Sorry Hogwarts lovers, but I don't think Harry'll be there.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 23, 2006 2:03 am (#155 of 343)

Just because JKR has written the last uiddich match does not mean Harry will not be at Hogwarts. There are certain clues in both the books and the films that mean Harry will return in some way. The first is the seven books, seven years issue. Then there is the room the importance of which Harry has not fully discovered yet - could a horcrux be hidden there? Did Dumbledore leave something in the care of Hagrid or another member of the rder at Hogwarts? concerning film three, the director wanted to put in a graveyard but JKR wouldn't let him due to it foreshadowing a part of the castle grounds we have not seen yet. Was this fulfilled by DD's tomb or is there more to know about? All these point to Harry returning to Hogwarts in someway. If Hogwarts reopens it will be one of the most heavily guarded places in the wizarding world and a possible site for the last battle.

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Jan 23, 2006 8:18 am (#156 of 343)

I am sorry Derek. Just because Harry doesn't intend to go to Hogwarts for another year does not mean that he won't.

I believe there is way too much important information sitting at Hogwarts for Harry NOT to return. Harry might see it as part of his responsibility to help keep Hogwarts alive. And Hagrid already said that he would be staying at Hogwarts as long as it is open. Hagrid has gone to school with Tom Riddle for at least 3 years (I don't know when Hagrid was given his job as "keeper of keys") and he could have more information for Harry about Tom/Voldemort.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jan 23, 2006 10:44 am (#157 of 343)

Going to Hogwarts and attending Hogwarts are 2 different things.

I don't think Harry will be a student, but I think he will make a few visits.

- - - - - - - - - -
Weeny Owl - Jan 23, 2006 10:57 am (#158 of 343)

It's possible that the trio will not be going to classes, but after Voldemort is defeated will return the following year and finish their education.

Other than that, I feel Harry will be a Hogwarts more than once if only to consult with Dumbledore's portrait.

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Jan 23, 2006 11:06 am (#159 of 343)

Well, Ron would at least have to finish school since he saw himself as Quittich team captain and head boy in the Mirror of Erised. With the exception of Harry seeing his entire family alive it is the only "prediction" we hear about made in front of the Mirror of Erised that has not come true yet.

- - - - - - - - - -
mike miller - Jan 23, 2006 11:14 am (#160 of 343)

aka The Barmy Old Codger
The events of the summer may change Harry's mind about finishing his seventh year at Hogwarts. That is not to say that Harry's heart will be in his studies or that he won't continue Dumbledore's short excersions to far distant locales.

I think there are many things to draw Harry back, Dumbledore's portrait, Dumbledore's penseive, the Hogwarts library (Hermoine's ability to be leveraged here), the trophy case (pet theory of mine - Hufflepuff cup horcrux is hidden in plain sight in the trophy case) to name just a few.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jan 23, 2006 12:12 pm (#161 of 343)

Librarian
If Ron doesn't return to Hogwarts Voldemort will be the least of h is troubles. Molly would skin him.

- - - - - - - - - -
Derek Robertson - Jan 23, 2006 3:51 pm (#162 of 343)

Wow! A Harry free of Hogwarts book 7 isn't a popular idea I see.

I definately think we'll see the trio at Hogwarts on more than one occasion in the last book, but not as students. How could they have time for what lies ahead?

As for Harry using Dumbledores pensieve, I think Dumbledores possessions will transfer to his brother Aberforth unless he has left instructions to the contrary.

A great many people have brought up Dumbledores portrait in the Headmasters office as a possible mine of information, I think they need to read the below exerpt from a JKR interview about wizard portraits.

JKR at the Edinburgh book festival

Q: All the paintings we have seen at Hogwarts are of dead people. They seem to be living through their portraits. How is this so? If there was a painting of Harry’s parents, would he be able to obtain advice from them?

JKR Answer: That is a very good question. They are all of dead people; they are not as fully realised as ghosts, as you have probably noticed. The place where you see them really talk is in Dumbledore’s office, primarily; the idea is that the previous headmasters and headmistresses leave behind a faint imprint of themselves. They leave their aura, almost, in the office and they can give some counsel to the present occupant, but it is not like being a ghost. They repeat catchphrases, almost. The portrait of Sirius’ mother is not a very 3D personality; she is not very fully realised. She repeats catchphrases that she had when she was alive. If Harry had a portrait of his parents it would not help him a great deal. If he could meet them as ghosts, that would be a much more meaningful interaction, but as Nick explained at the end of Phoenix—I am straying into dangerous territory, but I think you probably know what he explained—there are some people who would not come back as ghosts because they are unafraid, or less afraid, of death.

So based on this from JKR I don't think a portrait of Dumbledore would have any info for Harry. Just good advice about trying hard to achieve his goal or something....

- - - - - - - - - -
Aimee Shawn - Jan 23, 2006 5:36 pm (#163 of 343)

Crazy thought-but what if, I'm almost embarrassed to say it, Harry returns to Hogwarts as the DADA teacher. He's good at it and pickings are poor. They have many positions to fill. Harry has done it before and has taught the kids practical things to help them protect themselves. It puts him at Hogwarts but doesn't bind him the way being a student would. I know, I need to toddle myself off to St. Mongo's...

FYI: The Mirror of Erised shows you with your heart's desire, it does not predict the future so Ron isn't necessarily Quiditch captain and Head Boy. He'd just like to be.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 24, 2006 4:19 am (#164 of 343)

Sorry Aimee - but JKR has said that Harry will not be a teacher.

Derek, I think there is an issue of Semantics here. Will Harry return to Hogwarts? Will he go as a student or just as a visitor? This summer Harry (and probably Ron) will pass there apparition exams. Yes they have no 12 as a possible base but with Mrs Sirius's picture and the secret keeper dead this may not be too safe. The Weasley's home may not be too safe either. It could be that the base of the Order moves to Hogwarts and Harry resides there without being a student. I think that there are things at Hogwarts that Harry needs to learn. This does nt mean that they are to be learnt in the class room. But being there as a "student" would be a great cover for his anti-Voldemort excursions.

I also think the MoM may try and force Harry to stay as a pupil in order to give the image that everything is under control (not!!!).

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Search - Jan 24, 2006 8:50 am (#165 of 343)

Just some trivia that might relate.

I was looking at the Lexicon calendar for HBP and was struck by how few days the book's action took place. There are about 300 days from when Harry gets Dumbledore's letter at #4 Privet Drive until HBP ends. There is some activity mentioned in the lexicon calendar for 43 days. Only a few of these "activity" days are actually "action" days that further the plot.

At the end of HBP, Harry hasn't actually left Hogwarts. He won't wait for September 1 to start the trips he mentions, he will start immediately, so book seven will pickup where HBP left off. Harry will visit #4 Privet Drive, but he won't waste a good part of two months there. So, Harry will have two months of horcrux hunting even before Hogwarts opens.

He has to find three horcruxes, assuming Nagini will be with Voldemort.

One is the locket, which is related to #12 Grimmauld Place, Kreacher, and Mundungus (with a bit of R.A.B. thrown in.) That can't take too long.

I am betting that the other two are at Hogwarts. Again, not a long epic trek to identify and find them.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harry has accomplished most of the Horcrux hunt before September 1st. No reason for him not to start school.

That just leaves Voldemort.

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Jan 24, 2006 8:54 am (#166 of 343)

As far as the mirror goes. No it's not canon that Ron will become Head Boy or Quittich captain. However, all of the other prophecies we read that were made in front of the Mirror of Erised has come to fruition with the exception of Harry seeing his biological family. (Which if I think about it, it will come true when Harry dies which may or may not happen in book 7) So, I am speculating that Ron will become Head Boy and Quittich captain in Book 7 to be consistent what was said in front of Mirror of Erised so far.

As far as Hogwarts. I will be one of the few that will say that Harry will return to Hogwarts and go to classes in Hogwarts as a 7th year student. If McGonagall takes over as Headmistress (and I am assuming at this point she has) she will make sure that all of the hard work Harry (and Dumbledore etc.) has done so far will be completed. There is also the promise she made in OOP that she would personally see to it that Harry becomes an Auror. I don't see her reneging the promis even if Harry wants her to. She may even refuse to let Harry any where near Hogwarts unless he agrees to attend as a 7th year student and take his NEWTs. (Though I don't think Harry will have to take his NEWTs.) I can see that happening especially since he has not told her anything about what went on between Harry and Dumbledore or Harry's assigned mission. I would expect some tension between McGonagall and Harry at the beginning of Book 7. We have already seen it build at the end of book 6.

So, that coupled with all of the information that is sitting at Hogwarts, Harry will need to return to Hogwarts and attend classes.

I will make a guess that Harry may start school late, by a month or so. This will be sad since now I want to hear what the sorting hat has to say now that Dumbledore is dead.

Can I guess that one of the Horcruxes might be the Griffin Door knocker at the Headmaster's/Headmistress's door. I would think something at that door is cursed.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jan 24, 2006 11:44 am (#167 of 343)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
"Magic always leaves traces".....Would Dumbledore really fail to notice that his doorknocker was a Horcrux?

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Jan 24, 2006 12:33 pm (#168 of 343)

This is true. Scratch that thought.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jan 24, 2006 6:42 pm (#169 of 343)

LOL....I know, I know!! We're all grasping a straws. :-)

- - - - - - - - - -
TwinklingBlueEyes - Jan 24, 2006 9:14 pm (#170 of 343)

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking"
Maybe Harry will stop in at St. Mungos and tell us if he does?

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Jan 26, 2006 7:06 pm (#171 of 343)

If there is to be a big fight, I would think that the wedding would be a great place for an ambush. Most of the order would be there. That will kick off a great flight back to Hogwarts. Somehow I see both Neville and Luna still involved with the final fight and that can't happen but at Hogwarts. I agree that Harry needs to warm up to McGonnegle. I also think that she will be very keen to listen to Harry as we saw in 6. There are just too many characters left that can only be played out at the school. So if Harry is at the school, would McGonnegle let him just hang around without being a student? I can't see her just letting people come and go.

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Search - Jan 27, 2006 9:03 am (#172 of 343)

Its not just Harry. At the end of HBP, the trio's discussion suggested that Harry, Ron, and Hermione will stay even closer together, from then on.

So, the question is: "Will Harry, Ron, and Hermione return to Hogwarts?" Then, will they be formal students, or just hang out there between more important activities?

They have to "reside" somewhere. And Hogwarts provides meals, housekeeping, etc. I think they have to "reside" at Hogwarts. Where else?

Particularly, even though they will all be "adults," where can a boy/boy/girl trio stay together? It would be acceptable for them to stay at Hogwarts, and maybe the Burrow, but not, for example, at #12 Grimmauld Place.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jan 27, 2006 9:05 am (#173 of 343)

Perhaps Molly can chaperone!

Or better yet, Fleur!

She doesn't do anything all day.

- - - - - - - - - -
Honour - Jan 27, 2006 10:17 pm (#174 of 343)

Meeow! haymoni! LOL, doesn't Fleur work at Gringotts? - scrambling on the floor looking for that rememberall ...

May be the Order could use the Shreiking Shack as their new HQ, they would be close enough to keep an eye on Hogwarts, Harry and Co can use the place from time to time too! With the Order inhouse they would have enough 'chaperones', and being the most haunted house in Britain is a useful cover too! That's if the place isn't already in use?

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 28, 2006 2:16 am (#175 of 343)

Honour - you're right. Or at least she was in OoP.

But who's using the shrieking shack?

- - - - - - - - - -
Derek Robertson - Jan 28, 2006 7:50 am (#176 of 343)

Unfortunately secret though it was for a long time, Snape will have told the Death Eaters & Voldemort all about the shreiking shacks place at the end of a secret tunnell from Hogwarts grounds under the whomping willow.

- - - - - - - - - -
K Stahl - Jan 28, 2006 10:21 am (#177 of 343)

Snape may still be Dumbledore's man. Peter, on the other hand, would certainly have told voldemort.

- - - - - - - - - -
Matthew B - Feb 23, 2006 5:24 pm (#178 of 343)

Just a thought but will #12 GP be accessable now that dumbledore is 'dead'? JKR said when the secret keeper dies the secret dies with them and considering Harry had to read the secret of the paper will he be able to get in now?

I think Harry,Ron and Hermione will return to Hogwarts as students- Theres 7 books because of the 7 years at Hogwarts so it would be stupid to have 7 books when hes not going to be at Hogwarts for all 7

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Feb 23, 2006 6:11 pm (#179 of 343)

Librarian
I think that since Harry read the secret he now has access. He was told by the secret keeper. That hasn't changed.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Feb 23, 2006 7:14 pm (#180 of 343)

Would it not be possible, if the Order wanted to continue to meet and headquarter at 12 Grimmauld Place, that they could simply choose a new secret keeper - all the old members would remember where the place is and the new secret keeper would inform new members of the location. Wouldn't that solve the problem of the secret dying (possibly) with Dumbledore?

- - - - - - - - - -
Matthew B - Feb 24, 2006 8:22 am (#181 of 343)

Snape had been told about 12GP by Dumbledore yet in 'Spinners End' when talking to Bellatrix and Narcissa he tells them he cannot tell Voldemort where the Order of the Phoenix headquarters are because he is not the secret keeper. He may just be lying to them but surely he would not be able to convince Voldemort he couldn't tell him where the headquarters are seeing as Voldemort would know all about the spell.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Feb 24, 2006 8:33 am (#182 of 343)

Voldy would know how the spell works and Snape is too useful for him to abuse like Bertha Jorkins.

JKR says that nothing can be done to make someone tell the secret if they are not the Secret-Keeper, but you can't tell me Voldy hasn't tried with someone less valuable than Snape.

- - - - - - - - - -
Kenneth Hynes - Feb 25, 2006 3:13 pm (#183 of 343)

I Think that it is fairly safe to assume that no-one that hadent found out about 12GP from DD never will. If the Order wants to recruit new members a new HQ will have to be found. Also they belive that a proven DE knows the location of the HQ they will have no choice but move. 12 GP i belive will not feture again, unless Harry and co. return to find info about Regulas

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Mar 8, 2006 1:42 pm (#184 of 343)

I was rereading the other night and found Hermione's mention of all the old prophets being in the library most interesting. Seems to me if you are going to begin a quest, you might begin with research (as so many of us have). Perhaps Hogwarts will not open next 'year' but that does not mean the the Trio (and the Order for that matter) will not be taking advantage of the facilities.

I also have to wonder about the correlations between Pettigrew's silver hand and Dumbledore's shriveled one. Maybe Pettigrew's big gesture will be to grab a horcrux no one can touch with the gift Voldemort himself gave him. That would be sweet justice.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magic Words - Mar 9, 2006 9:44 pm (#185 of 343)

Whew! Just caught up!

I hadn't considered the fact that 12GP is now compromised, but I guess the Order would see it that way. But I wonder how much damage Snape could do if he turned out to be a DE- he can't tell anyone about it, and presumably can't lead them to it or anything like that. Would the charm prevent him from telling LV that it would be a good idea to demolish a certain part of town, for unspecifiable reasons? (All for argument's sake, as I don't believe Snape would want to do anything of the sort.)

I think Harry will return to Hogwarts for many of the reasons already stated, but mostly because, even if Harry does have a very good reason for skipping his last school year, I can't see Hermione and Ron doing the same. They want to help, and I'm sure they will, but it's just not their battle in the same way it's Harry's. The same goes for Ginny, Neville, and Luna, to a lesser extent. The only scenario that makes sense to me is for all of them to return to Hogwarts. I agree, however, that Harry will pick up Dumbledore's habit of frequent absences.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Mar 11, 2006 12:55 pm (#186 of 343)

Not sure if any but a select few will return. Hagrid said as long as one student wants to learn...he may not be long off. Hogwarts may be the new home of the Order should not many students return..a base of operations if you will.

- - - - - - - - - -
Veritaserum - Mar 13, 2006 2:55 pm (#187 of 343)

Go Jays!
I like the idea of only a few students returning to Hogwarts, and it being the headquarters of the Order. It would fulfill both the 7 books, 7 school years structure and Harry's wish to not be tied down with classes. It would give the books a whole different atmosphere.

I also think that people are reading too much into the "cemetery on the Hogwarts grounds" thing. She was most likely hinting about Dumbledore's death and subsequent burial. If there was already a cemetery on the grounds, why would Dumbledore have not been buried there?

- - - - - - - - - -
geauxtigers - Mar 18, 2006 10:59 am (#188 of 343)

Yum!
I thought DD was buried at Hogwarts... I don't have the book on hand, but McGonagall said something to the extent of DD always said he wanted to be laid to rest at Hogwarts. This is right after Harry was like what about DD's funeral?... I too like the idea Veritaserum, that the castle could be the head quarters of the Order, its got so many protective spells, and if they made it unplottable I'm not use how it works, might be that if you already knew where the place was, its impossible to make it unplottable, or it could be as long as you make it unplottable, even if people knew where it was before, can't find it... that could cause problems though because we've seen others get into Hogwarts before ect... and they made it seem like butter.

- - - - - - - - - -
Veritaserum - Mar 18, 2006 7:12 pm (#189 of 343)

Go Jays!
Yes, geauxtigers, he is buried out by the lake. I was commenting on how some people have taken JKR's comment about there being a cemetery on the grounds of Hogwarts to suggest that there is another cemetery besides DD's tomb.

- - - - - - - - - -
geauxtigers - Mar 21, 2006 3:46 pm (#190 of 343)

Yum!
Gotcha! Probably didn't read that too carefully. So back on topic, will Harry return to Hogwarts? I think he will, but he will be in and out throughout the year. I think he'll go about everything as usual, while he is there, he will be solving the mystery of the Horcruxes with the help of his friends and is DD is dead, the photo of DD in the Headmaster's office. He will leave either at random times to destroy the horcruxes one by one or he will leave for like 2 months or so, and go horcrux hunting. I think that this will tie in nicely with JKR sticking to 7 years at Hogwarts, and killing off LV. I think there is a 60% chance that he will most definatly return for classes and not just to find a horcrux at the school. I believe there will be one here.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Mar 26, 2006 1:03 am (#191 of 343)

Hi all, Yes I feel that Harry will return to Hogwarts. And I like what "Magic Words" said about Harry doing a DD "DD's habit of frequent absences" Also I liked "The Saint" thought about the Orders "base of Operation". I feel that the ending battle could be at Hogwarts. Because both Harry and LV feels that Hogwarts was like there home. And I know that not everyone feels this way, but there could be up to 2 Horcruxes there at Hogwarts. I was thinking the Tiara that is in the RoR on the 7th floor. And also the silver and opal necklace that was taken to Snape's office. Snape did not take anything with him when he left. Also Hogwarts would be a good place for Harry to work out of. Hermione could look things up there and give him info.. The Order could look out for him better there. Also I do not think that LV knows about when Harry turns 17 that it will be easier so to say. I'm not sure. Now that Harry will be of age he can do apparition to go, if he needs to. Or maybe the vanishing cabinet. He will think that being there could get others killed. So that will have to be overcome. Maybe something will happen for him to see that everyone could be killed with or without him there. He needs to see this for Ginny too. I also feel that Harry will find some of the Horcruxes over the summer. And the info. that will bring him back to school.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Apr 23, 2006 11:24 am (#192 of 343)

Hi all, Just looking in to see if anything was going on? I remember some things that JKR had in her interviews, just things in passing, like - at the end of there 7th year or they will need a new DADA teacher. That is just one of reasons I feel that Hogwarts will be up and running. And if Hogwarts is open, there will have to be things going on there that Harry is part of, the story is told from his point of view.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 21, 2006 9:37 am (#193 of 343)

I am running a poll on my website on this thread's subject at the moment. I asked "Do you think Harry will return to Hogwarts in book seven?". The results so far are as follows:

Yes, he has to complete his seventh year - 44% (24 votes)

Yes, but after he's defeated Voldemort - 20% (11 votes)

Yes but not as a student - 24% (13 votes)

No, he's done with school for good - 13% (7 votes)

Total votes: 55

I'm letting the poll run until I've had a hundred people vote in it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Pamzter - Jun 21, 2006 6:42 pm (#194 of 343)

Permit me to back up just a tiny bit. Even if the secret keeper died and so the secret of 12 Grimmauld Place with him, wouldn't it seem logical that Harry, as the new owner, would overcome that? And perhaps be able to choose a new secret keeper?

And, to also keep on topic -- It would seem LV still wants whatever is at Hogwarts he was looking for years ago. Where LV goes, HP will be sure to follow (hopefully with friends in tow). I see a major battle taking place there.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jun 21, 2006 7:37 pm (#195 of 343)

Librarian
Liz, I tried to do your quiz and it wouldn't accept my vote. It would have been Harry will go back to Hogwarts but not for school.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 22, 2006 5:45 am (#196 of 343)

It didn't accept your vote? That's strange. I just got a slew of about nine votes.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jun 22, 2006 6:01 am (#197 of 343)

It didn't take mine either, Liz. It was as if there was something over that part of the screen.

I mean, I could see it, but I couldn't click on anything.

I used the link in your profile.

I just went back and did it again. Your "Entrance Hall" is covering the poll and some sort of error box popped up.

Put me down for "Yes, but not as a student."

- - - - - - - - - -
TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 22, 2006 6:05 am (#198 of 343)

It took mine. LOL

...toddles off thinking it might have something to do with screen resolution...

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 22, 2006 6:34 am (#199 of 343)

Steve Newton and Haymoni - I just added your votes for you. It worked for me.

TwinklingBlueEyes - just checking, was your vote for 'yes, he has to complete his seventh year'?

- - - - - - - - - -
TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 22, 2006 6:59 am (#200 of 343)

Methinks so.

Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? (Post 201 to 250)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:23 am

Liz Mann - Jun 22, 2006 9:24 am (#201 of 343)
Okay, it's just that I get email confirmations of votes and I wanted to know if a particular vote was yours.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 22, 2006 11:13 am (#202 of 343)

I vote for "Yes, he has to complete his seventh year."

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Jun 22, 2006 12:06 pm (#203 of 343)

I just voted ("yes but not as a student") and it worked!

- - - - - - - - - -
sere35 - Jun 22, 2006 2:16 pm (#204 of 343)

I am sure that JK said some where mayber her website that when the secret keeper dies that the secret dies with them. People who already know would still be able to go to headquaters but no one else would ever be able to find out.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Jun 23, 2006 2:08 am (#205 of 343)

Hi all, And hi Liz Mann. I feel that Harry will go back to Hogwarts as a student and end up passing his 7th year tests. But he will be at Hogwarts undercover, looking for 1 or 2 Horcruxes. One could be the tiara in the RoR on the 7th floor. And or one could be the necklace that has killed 19 people, that was last heard of in Snapes office. This would mean that Harry would of found 2 of the Horcruxes over the summer. Like Slytherin's necklace and also the cup.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 23, 2006 7:38 am (#206 of 343)

I definitely think Harry will go back to Hogwarts at some point in seven, but whether as a student or not I'm not sure.

- - - - - - - - - -
virginiaelizabeth - Jun 23, 2006 2:11 pm (#207 of 343)

SPCA : Society for the Promotion of Cat Attire!
I vote "Yes, he has to complete his seventh year."

I hope that this is true! I feel like the entire seires is not only centered around Harry defeating LV, but also around Harry's education. It would just seem wrong if he didn't go back to school. I think Hogwarts is the perfect place to headquarter his "horcrux hunt" because they will have access to the library, and and what not. It just seems like it should be that way because that's how it's been for everybook. Of course this doesn't really prove it one way or the other, just what I want to happen!

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Jun 23, 2006 2:52 pm (#208 of 343)

I vote he will return to Hogwarts, but most of the other student's wont. It will be used as the center for his horcrux hunt and may end up as the final battle field. His conduct during the year and his defeat of Volde will earn him his diploma..though whether it is a awarded posthumously is yet to be seen.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magic Words - Jun 23, 2006 3:35 pm (#209 of 343)

I agree with Saint... on pretty much every point. He'll return, but not for the education.

- - - - - - - - - -
wynnleaf - Jun 24, 2006 7:54 am (#210 of 343)

I voted. I think he'll go back to Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna L. Black - Jun 24, 2006 8:26 am (#211 of 343)

I voted for "Yes, but not as a student". I believe that Harry really doesn't intend to return to the 7th year, but I also believe he won't be able to proceed in his Horcrux hunt without some help from Hogwarts. (That can be a great name for a chapter: "Hogwarts's Help on the Horcrux Hunt". He-he-he Smile )

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Jun 24, 2006 8:34 am (#212 of 343)

I voted that he would return as a student (my guess is part-time).

- - - - - - - - - -
The One - Jun 24, 2006 1:17 pm (#213 of 343)

Open minded sceptic
I do not think that the school will close down.

I do not think Harry will retun as a study.

But seems very likely to me that Harry wil go there as part of his quest.

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Jun 24, 2006 8:14 pm (#214 of 343)

On the spine of each book is written the school year at Hogwarts. Year 1, year 2, etc. I must assume that it will read year 7. All referring to the school year at Hogwarts. I would therefore have to throw my vote to the return to school side of the aisle.

- - - - - - - - - -
Veritaserum - Jun 24, 2006 9:54 pm (#215 of 343)

Go Jays!
Personally, I wouldn't base my decision on a little publishing aesthetic decision. I know it generally refers to years at Hogwarts, but stretching it a little, you could just say it refers to years in Harry's life in the wizarding world.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 25, 2006 6:59 am (#216 of 343)

I was recently searching for another quote, and I came across this.

"In my world wizards come of age at 17 - age 17. So in book 7, you'll see Harry come of age, which means he's allowed to use magic outside school, and you'll see the end of that school year. - J.K. on the Diane Rehm Show, 1999

Surely if we're going to see the end of that school year then that means that Harry goes to school that year.

On the other hand she more recently said that the Quidditch match where Luna commentates is the last one that she's ever going to write. But then I suppose if Harry does go back to school he'll be too busy to play Quidditch or even attend the matches.

- - - - - - - - - -
Veritaserum - Jun 25, 2006 2:04 pm (#217 of 343)

Go Jays!
Being picky, she says the end of *that* school year, which may or may not include Harry.

I know she had the books planned out for years, but to what extent? I mean, perhaps she's changed her mind since 1999.

I just think that he's not going to actually be a regular student at Hogwarts. I'm sure he'll still need to be there for some of the time, though.

- - - - - - - - - -
geauxtigers - Jun 25, 2006 2:13 pm (#218 of 343)

Yum!
I think that Harry will go back to Hogwarts for school, but he will spend some of the time leaving, missing lessons as he looks for horcruxes. I think that Hogwarts will be his greatest source of information, after all Voldemort felt like it was his home and Harry still has a lot to discover within the walls of Hogwarts. I'm sure that the library will point him somewhere, even his regular lessons might hint him as they have helped so much in the past. His friends I think will be the biggest help of all. There are just too many things at Hogwarts that can give Harry a leg up for him not to go back. He will find more there than he thinks probably at this point. Not to mention portraits could help him too...(DD if he really is dead) ect. Portraits helped DD in OoP to uncover the truth. I just don't see him not going back, and JKR's quote about seeing the end of the school year also furthers my thoughts.

EDIT: Soul Search, I agree. We must also take into account that Godric's Hollow, Privet Drive, and the Burrow will all take place over the summer, thus not interfering with school.

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Search - Jun 25, 2006 2:20 pm (#219 of 343)

The conversation under the tree at the end HBP suggests the trio will be, mostly, together throughout book seven. Where else can they go for the whole year.

They will return to #4 Privet Drive, but wouldn't stay long. Certainly not after Harry's seventeenth birthday.

Godric's Hollow will be a short visit. No place to stay there, anyway. (Unless we are really surprised.)

They will go to the Burrow for the wedding, but they couldn't operate from there for a year. Mrs. Weasley's overprotectionism would drive them nuts.

#12 Grimmauld Place is possible, but the Order is still using it. They will go there, but, again, couldn't stay there for a year.

Even if Harry could choose not to return to Hogwarts' classes, I don't see Hermione or Ron having that freedom. They will all three return to Hogwarts, and will take classes. They may be distracted with other things, but they will try. Question is, will they finish classes?

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Jun 25, 2006 2:34 pm (#220 of 343)

Harry remembers what Dumbledore said about not truly being gone from Hogwarts unless none there are loyal to him, so he must remember what Dumbledore said about help always being given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

If Harry doesn't swallow his pride, he'll probably learn the hard way that he needs help, and he'll remember to go to Hogwarts to ask for it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mediwitch - Jun 25, 2006 4:35 pm (#221 of 343)

"We could have all been killed-- or worse, expelled!"
These have probably already been mentioned before, but I think Harry will return to Hogwarts because of two quotes from Jo:

JKR: Well, seven ... I - er - for several reasons, but I suppose the main one, I - I was seven years at my secondary school - that's kind of standard in England. Seven is also a magical number. I wanted him to come of age at 17 - erm - just seems a good number for a wizard to come of age. So that meant seven books and that meant seven years in his life. Lydon, Christopher. J.K. Rowling interview transcript, The Connection (WBUR Radio), 12 October, 1999

JKR: I always conceived it as a 7-book series because I decided that it would take seven years from the ages of 11-17 inclusive, to train as a wizard, and each of the books would deal with a year of Harry's life at Hogwarts. eToys interview transcript, etoys.com, Fall 2000

- - - - - - - - - -
Finn BV - Jun 25, 2006 8:17 pm (#222 of 343)

Me kayaking, Niagara River, August 2006. I have been likened to Reepicheep in this photo.
If Harry wants to pursue a career as an Auror, as OP chapter Career Advice strongly suggested (and even if he doesn't McGonagall vowed to make him one anyway), he wouldn't leave school. Mediwitch's second quote says: "to train as a wizard." Train. Train to be an Auror. I think that's one of things Jo has been pretty clear about. It's not as if Harry is off to become a Healer or something. All it's been is Auror, Auror, Auror. He's not going to suddenly give it up, even if it is Voldemort.

I know she had the books planned out for years, but to what extent? I mean, perhaps she's changed her mind since 1999. --Veritaserum

I think, if she changed her mind on anything, it certainly wasn't the crucial matter whether Harry would go to school or not! That would be a major plot change!

I tend to agree with the latest posts which say that Harry will return to school but not necessarily be there 24/7.

- - - - - - - - - -
rambkowalczyk - Jun 28, 2006 9:45 am (#223 of 343)

I found it interesting that at the end of book 6, Harry wouldn't tell McGonagall what he and Dumbledore were doing. His reason was that Dumbledore didn't give permission to tell anyone (other than Ron and Hermione). I think Harry will return to Hogwarts because he will get a message from Dumbledore. (maybe his will will say 'Harry, it would please me if you finished your studies at Hogwarts before you started any new projects'). At some point Harry will also decide to do this because he knows it's the right decision not just because Dumbledore said so.

Or he may decide to leave Hogwarts for some overriding reason, but it will be after he knows what Dumbledore wishes.

- - - - - - - - - -
Veritaserum - Jun 29, 2006 7:57 am (#224 of 343)

Go Jays!
Well, this doesn't necessarily have to do with Hogwarts, but I like that idea of Harry getting a message from Dumbledore. Some letter telling him what he needs to know. Something like "If you are reading this, then I must be dead..."

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 29, 2006 8:32 am (#225 of 343)

I can see that happening, rambkowalczyk. I can also completely imagine Dumbledore phrasing it like that.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Jul 10, 2006 12:28 pm (#226 of 343)

Hi all, Well I feel that Harry will be at Hogwarts undercover to look for Horcruxes, that are there. But Harry also knows that if he can not do in LV. That school or life will never be the same. So he feels that the Horcruxes and LV are the most important things right now. I think that he could get some of his schooling in while undercover. But if that dose not work out ,Harry could always come back and finish school up with Ginny in her 7th year, after it is all over. Just a thought.

- - - - - - - - - -
Angie - Jul 12, 2006 5:47 am (#227 of 343)

Austin passed out after a day at Six Flags - brother Allan enjoying the quiet with Calvin and Hobbes
I agree that over the course of the summer Harry will see the benefits of attending Hogwarts, he will be surrounded by lots of talented and knowledgable wizards and it would be a good base for him. I don't expect he will tell mcgonagall, or anyone else what he is doing but he will explain he is trying to continue with DD's work. I wonder what the parents of other pupils will think of Harry continuing there? Will it been seen as an asset that "the chosen one" is present or will they believe that this will put their children in more danger as Harry is LV's main target?

If Mcgonagall (or whoever the Head may be) believes it is an asset to the school that Harry is there this may be what persaudes Harry to return. He was unwilling to be a "poster boy" for the ministry but may be more willing for his beloved Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 12, 2006 11:14 am (#228 of 343)

I was thinking about Ron not returning to Hogwarts - he says he will go with Harry, but Molly will be a force to contend with - she will want Ron to finish school and she will be terribly frightened for his safety if he goes with Harry. Remember her boggart - she won't easily turn loose and let him accompany Harry to hunt Horcruxes and possibly face the wrath of Voldemort. I think Harry will return also because those he respects will urge him to finish school - I think there is still much for him to learn at Hogwarts. I can see Harry, Ron and Hermione knocking out a Horcrux or two over the summer and then finding a couple at Hogwarts after school begins.

- - - - - - - - - -
deletedaccount - Jul 12, 2006 12:45 pm (#229 of 343)

I hope he returns to Hogwarts.

It's kind of funny the way you put it, choices, knocking out a horcrux or two like it's an everyday occurance. lol

- - - - - - - - - -
theshadow07 - Jul 14, 2006 11:26 am (#230 of 343)

well, there is one thing that I think that we are missing, what happen if all the story of book seven happens before harry needs to get back to Hogwarts

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 14, 2006 11:38 am (#231 of 343)

LOL I think perhaps JKR can keep that from happening.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Jul 15, 2006 4:13 am (#232 of 343)

Hi all, Choices I agree with you 100% about Harry and friends knocking out some of the Horcruxes before school even starts and then finding more when school begins. I feel that Harry will get info. that will take him back to Hogwarts. As for the story ending be four Harry needs to be back at school. Well, I agree again, JKR has it all under control. I know that Horcruxes are a main part of the story, but there will be lots of other things going on too. Snape's part of the story, Ginny's part, all the house's coming together, the war in gen., the last fight with LV, etc. etc.etc..... So I am not worried about the story stopping before he gets to Hogwarts. But that was funny!

- - - - - - - - - -
Miss Amanda - Jul 15, 2006 7:28 pm (#233 of 343)

Well, I believe Harry will return to Hogwarts as a search for understanding Voldemort.

Also, I believe the sorting hat is a horcrux that can think for itself. I believe that it was stored in Dumbledore's office when Tom/ Voldemort visited looking for a job. In order to destroy that horcrux, I think Harry will have to visit Hogwarts, if not attend.

Of course, I have no canon evidence of the sorting hat as horcrux. It is just that Dumbledore says that the sword it the only relic of Griffindor, and we all know that the hat came from Griffindor's head. So that would be Dumbledore's huge mistake, that Dumbledore keeps referring to.

Besides, what in the world would be Ravenclaw's horcrux? If Harry (and we as readers) are not to find it in Hogwarts, then where would we look? I believe that it is Ravenclaw who left no trace of herself. Griffindor has two relics, both at Hogwarts. Harry most certainly will return "home."

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Jul 15, 2006 7:57 pm (#234 of 343)

Ravenclaw "Will get their day, if you know what I mean!" [Read the whole quote from ITV, 2005]

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 16, 2006 10:32 am (#235 of 343)

Didn't JKR already say basically that the Sorting Hat is not a Horcrux....something to the effect that Horcruxes do not stand up before hundreds of people and sing songs?

- - - - - - - - - -
Catherine - Jul 16, 2006 11:05 am (#236 of 343)

Canon Seeker
Yes, Choices, JKR has confirmed that the Sorting Hat is not a Horcrux.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 16, 2006 11:22 am (#237 of 343)

Thanks Catherine - I thought I remembered that. :-)
- - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - [b]
Miss Amanda - Jul 16, 2006 11:38 am (#238 of 343)

My mistake again! Two in a night for me! I'll wait until in the morning before I start posting my hairbrained ideas. Especially if I'm not in the mood to research.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Aug 3, 2006 12:49 am (#239 of 343)

Hi all, Well I was thinking about what The Saint said, about Ravenclaw. And yes, JKR did say that. So school will have to be going on for that to work out. Also it could be that Ravenclaw will help bring the 4 House's together, to help win the war. Or it could be that one of the Horcruxes will have been something of Ravenclaw's. Like the opal and silver necklace that kills or the Tiara that Molly said they could use at the wedding. Maybe when they can not find it for the wedding, and Harry remembers he saw one on the 7th floor in the RoR. This will bring Harry back to school, for a start.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Aug 7, 2006 11:13 pm (#240 of 343)

Hi all, Also in the Lexicon-Madam Scoops-by Theme-Snape. There is a interview that says, "There will be a new teacher in book 7 Something will stop Snape from teaching DADA in the next book." So, Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? I say yes, most all of the books tell the story from Harry's point of view. So it only stands to reason that if theres a new DADA teacher at Hogwarts Harry will be there to see them. What do you think?

- - - - - - - - - -
darien - Aug 8, 2006 12:57 am (#241 of 343)

Doctor in the many arts of wasting one's time
cindysuewho45, that is a nice observation. Even though we could still simply hear about this new person from Ginny who would send a letter to Ron telling him; I still agree this is good evidence that Harry will return to Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
geauxtigers - Aug 8, 2006 4:58 pm (#242 of 343)

Yum!
Personally I see Harry going back to school, attending classes, but leaving for blocks of time to find and destroy the horcruxes. Hogwarts, one Tom Riddle's favorite places, will tell Harry all he needs to know. There are more resources there than any other places we've heard of. Plus, he has the teachers, his friends, the library and the posiblilty of at least one horcrux there. I think Harry is really loosing his grip if he doesn't realize this. As long as he doesn't think to hard about this, he will realize that his greatest resource is his favorite place on earth.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Aug 8, 2006 7:02 pm (#243 of 343)

I can see Harry being able to leave Hogwarts for periods of time without any problem. Look at the kids who were petrified in book 2 - some were in that state for months, and yet all of them got through that grade without having to repeat the year. I doubt Harry would miss so much that he wouldn't finish 7th year.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Aug 8, 2006 7:26 pm (#244 of 343)

LOL...I should think if you defeat 'the darkest wizard of your time' you should automatically graduate! Having done more than most adult Wizards by then.

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Aug 10, 2006 12:10 am (#245 of 343)

Hi all, I was thinking that Harry may find some info. in the CoS or if he ask the question right, he could get some good info. form the RoR. He just needs to say when up on the 7th floor etc., I need a room, a room to learn about Horcruxes and how to find them and destroy them. And a new room would turn up for him to work out of. It could happen. I agree that Harry could leave Hogwarts and come back, and still pass all his test. And yes , if he kills off LV that should give him not just a pass, but a "O" in DADA for the year!!

- - - - - - - - - -
Hoot Owl - Aug 10, 2006 1:57 pm (#246 of 343)

Teacher
Does anyone else think just maybe the Board or the Ministry will make The Chosen One's attendance a condition of Hogwarts remaining open?

- - - - - - - - - -
Mediwitch - Aug 10, 2006 8:33 pm (#247 of 343)

"We could have all been killed-- or worse, expelled!"
That's an interesting thought, Hoot Owl. It would certainly fit in with the ministry trying to make Harry their poster boy for the safety of the wizarding world.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Aug 11, 2006 9:22 am (#248 of 343)

Ooooh! Blackmail!!

Harry certainly would not want others to be deprived of the place he considers "home".

mmm....

Seeing as he hasn't actually left the grounds yet, anything is possible.

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Search - Aug 11, 2006 9:58 am (#249 of 343)

Actually, I could see the opposite. Hogwarts would be safer without Harry there.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Aug 11, 2006 11:25 am (#250 of 343)

Since Harry will turn 17 this summer, I doubt the MoM could force him to go to school, and if enough studends want to attend Hogwarts I doubt it would be closed just because Harry doesn't show up.....although I think he will attend.

Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? (Post 251 to 300)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:24 am

Hoot Owl - Aug 11, 2006 12:05 pm (#251 of 343)
Teacher
Just a thought. The MoM might play hardball to get Harry's public endorsement. I also wondered about his apparation licensing test on his 17th birthday. Wrong thread for that I suppose.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Aug 11, 2006 3:37 pm (#252 of 343)

mmm...what if they fail him on purpose?

- - - - - - - - - -
legolas returns - Aug 11, 2006 3:44 pm (#253 of 343)

Harry is not best known for following rules

- - - - - - - - - -
Maud Merryweather - Aug 12, 2006 10:48 am (#254 of 343)

he could get some good info. form the RoR. He just needs to say when up on the 7th floor etc., I need a room, a room to learn about Horcruxes and how to find them and destroy them. And a new room would turn up for him to work out of. It could happen.

Very good idea, Cindysuewho45 ! The ROR could offer valuable help to Harry, if he knows how to phrase his request carefully and completely enough. Hope it works !

- - - - - - - - - -
Geber - Aug 31, 2006 8:32 pm (#255 of 343)

Jo has said in interviews she won't be writing about any more Quiddich matches. Perhaps that's because although Hogwarts will be open, the format will be completely changed. Perhaps it will be temporarily changed into a sort of military academy, and only 6th years, 7th years, and adult wizards will attend. That would give Harry an excuse to change his mind. It would also give Victor Krum a reason to show up.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Sep 1, 2006 1:05 am (#256 of 343)

Or just that Harry will be too busy hunting horcruxes to play.

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Search - Sep 1, 2006 7:41 am (#257 of 343)

I thought Ron would be Captain of Quiddich and Head Boy to fulfill what he saw in the mirror in SS.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Sep 1, 2006 8:11 am (#258 of 343)

Librarian
I know that the Mirror does not predict, but, I, too, think that Ron will get all that he saw. I'm not sure that it will make him as happy as he thinks it will.

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Sep 8, 2006 10:51 am (#259 of 343)

Doing one of the things I love best . . .
What about the Special Award given to Tom Riddle - could that be a horcrux? Ron knows about it in great detail and could destroy it no problem.

or do we think we have seen all of Tom Riddle we are going to see? The diary was his and that was destroyed already.

Could the horcruxes be represenative of seven stages in LV's life. Hogwarts was such a big part of him - he never wanted to leave. Therefore I think there are more horcruxes there than we think.

Harry has to go back to deal with those.

- - - - - - - - - -
constant vigilance - Sep 22, 2006 12:14 am (#260 of 343)

art student
Perhaps Harry will return so that he can ask Kreacher about Bella and Narcissa. Kreacher would be forced to answer, and this could proove useful to Harry's search.

Also, Dobby has almost said more than he's supposed about the Malfoys. I think that somehow the elves will be involved.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hoot Owl - Sep 24, 2006 10:29 am (#261 of 343)

Teacher
Does Harry need to be at Hogwarts to ask Kreacher anything? Harry called him from #12 Grimould Place to #4 Privet Drive. Kreacher has to respond to Harry (his master) wherever he is, at least I think that is how it works. I hope that isn't too far off topic.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Sep 24, 2006 11:23 am (#262 of 343)

Actually it was Dumbledore who summoned Kreacher.

"...if you have indeed inherited the house, you have also inherited....." He flicked his wand for a fifth time. There was a loud crack, and a house-elf appeared, with a snout for a nose, giant bat's ears, and enormous bloodshot eyes, crouching on the Dursley's shag carpet and covered in grimy rags."

- - - - - - - - - -
Meoshimo - Sep 24, 2006 11:37 am (#263 of 343)

Didn't Harry summon Dobby or Kreacher (I can't remember which one's name he said) when he was in the hospital wing in Half-Blood Prince?

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Sep 24, 2006 11:39 am (#264 of 343)

Let it snow!
Harry was able to call Kreacher to him once he was in Hogwarts (so he could have Kreacher and Dobby could tail Malfoy), so he might be able to call Kreacher to him wherever he is....

I'm thinking Harry might return to Hogwarts to use Dumbledore's pensieve.

- - - - - - - - - -
constant vigilance - Sep 24, 2006 1:34 pm (#265 of 343)

art student
I'm thinking Harry might return to Hogwarts to use Dumbledore's pensieve.

good point!

Thinking about it now, Harry wouldn't need to be at Hogwarts to question Kreacher. I am just thinking about things and people at Hogwarts who could be helpful to Harry.

Does anyone think it is possible that the Sorting Hat could be helpful again? After all it is Gryffindor's hat and it did help Harry fight the Basilisk. Might the Hat be able to assist Harry in a future battle against Voldemort?

- - - - - - - - - -
legolas returns - Sep 24, 2006 1:41 pm (#266 of 343)

As an aside-what would happen to all the House Elfs if Hogwarts did not reopen? Mass unemployment

Harry will have to go back regardless to find some horcruxes. I wonder why Dumbledore sent Harry away to get his cloak when he told Harry to carry it with him. What did he do in the time before he met Harry at the front door? Did he remove everything from the pensieve/leave new memories.

- - - - - - - - - -
juliebug - Sep 24, 2006 1:58 pm (#267 of 343)

I would assume they would all just stay there the way Kreacher stayed at Grimmauld Place after the deaths of Sirius' parents. Hopefully they would do a better job at keeping the place clean. Actually, I hope the place just keeps going. I have some doubts now that Dumbledore is dead, but I think there are some families who would still consider their children safer at Hogwarts than at home.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hoot Owl - Sep 24, 2006 2:29 pm (#268 of 343)

Teacher
Sorry, I realized my mistake (#261) after I logged off and I couldn't get back on-line quick enough to correct it. I still think Kreacher can be summoned from almost anywhere.

I would be more interested to know if Harry will be attending Hogwarts then if he just stops by to talk or look around. I believe he will attend with some type of agreement or status that allows the Trio to come & go as needed. Do ' of age' students have that right at Hogwarts now?

- - - - - - - - - -
Meoshimo - Sep 24, 2006 3:50 pm (#269 of 343)

I can't recall any mention that says that of age students are allowed to come and go as they please. I can't see it being allowed, but it would be interesting to find out.

- - - - - - - - - -
shadzar - Sep 24, 2006 3:56 pm (#270 of 343)

Well those turning 17 were taught to Aparrate weren't they? Doesn't that mean they can come and go as they please? Granted you can't apparate into Hogwart's but you could get close and walk under an invisibility cloak....

- - - - - - - - - -
Ludicrous Patents Office - Sep 24, 2006 4:09 pm (#271 of 343)

I love Hogwarts. I hope Harry does go back at some point. The castle has such a personality. LPO

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Sep 24, 2006 4:20 pm (#272 of 343)

Let it snow!
I really liked the suggestion, several posts back (sorry I don't remember who suggested it), that the Ministry might make keeping the school open dependent on whether Harry returns or not. It kinda makes sense as the Ministry has been looking for, and needing, Harry's endorsement all through HBP, and considering the whole wizarding world is now looking at Harry as "The Chosen One", him going back to Hogwarts would show his trust in the school and, albeit indirectly, the Ministry.

If a scenario like that did happen, I could see McGonagall making some major exceptions for Harry (like he had to live at the school but not attend classes, or private tutoring sessions or something) as she was part of the Order and knows that he's in some way important to the war against Voldemort.

- - - - - - - - - -
Meoshimo - Sep 24, 2006 5:04 pm (#273 of 343)

If you had permission to leave the grounds as you pleased and then apparate, then why be so secretive as to use an invisibility cloak? Smile

I've always looked at apparition lessons and subsequent license as the wizarding equivalent to driver's ed and driver's licenses.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Sep 25, 2006 2:13 am (#274 of 343)

I have always found this coming of age and finishing school difference a bit odd. Finish school the year you turn eighteen but an adult in the wizarding world when you are seventeen. This could be important concerning Harry.

- - - - - - - - - -
juliebug - Sep 25, 2006 5:46 am (#275 of 343)

I think by agreeing to attend school, you waive certain rights. I can't speak for other school systems, but in the places I have taught, there have been students who have been 18 and older. Special education students have up to the age of 21 to finish high school. At a certain age, students become allowed to decide for themselves if they wish to drop out before graduating. If the student chooses to stay in school as an adult, they still have to follow the same rules as their classmates. I don't know if anything like this applies to Hogwarts, but I think it would make sense. For a school to function, the teachers and staff must be able to exert a certain amount of control over the students and the idea that some students can just roam about freely just doesn't make much sense to me. I could be looking at it all the wrong way though.

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Sep 25, 2006 6:07 am (#276 of 343)

Actually, if I understand what you are saying, I think you might be on to something, juliebug. Being in school seems to put one under certain restrictions, regardless of one's age.

Remember in OoP, Chapter Five, when Harry says he wants to join the Order and Lupin says the following: " 'The Order is comprised only of overage wizards,' he said. 'Wizards who have left school,' he added, as Fred and George opened their mouths."

Fred and George were of age (17 years old) at that point, but still attending Hogwarts.

Laura

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Sep 25, 2006 6:08 am (#277 of 343)

That could have been the rule for The Order - or it could have been the rule for the Weasleys!

Nice job to Arthur for covering himself on that one!

- - - - - - - - - -
Detail Seeker - Sep 25, 2006 2:40 pm (#278 of 343)

Quod tempus non sanat, sanat ferrum,... so prepare
Coming of age and going to school is regular in Germany. If you finish , what you americans cal high school (thus being allowed to study at University), you are 19 normally, but coming of age is at 18 here, too.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ludicrous Patents Office - Sep 25, 2006 5:24 pm (#279 of 343)

This is a nitpicky school teacher thing but I would hate to see Harry be a drop out. I loved the way Fred and George left school but I didn't like them dropping out before N.E.W.T.s (I assume that is the equivalent of graduating). LPO

- - - - - - - - - -
Meoshimo - Sep 25, 2006 5:29 pm (#280 of 343)

I was ninteen when I finished high school, but most of my classmates were seventeen. A few were eighteen.

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Sep 25, 2006 7:11 pm (#281 of 343)

I know that I sound like the overused record but I feel that Harry will be back at Hogwarts for the most simplest of reasons. Each book is titled Year 1,2,3,4,5,6. That being Hogwarts years. I see no reason for JKR to change. The last book will be "Harry Potter and ...........". Year 7.

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Sep 25, 2006 11:55 pm (#282 of 343)

LPO, I felt/feel exactly as you do in your last post.

When Fred and George left, my first thought was, "What a fun part of the book, and I know they are not the academic types, but still I wish they had seen it through and finished their last year." And when Harry said he wasn't returning to Hogwarts, my first thought was, "But you need to take your NEWTS. You can't be an Auror if you're a school dropout." (Kind of silly of me to think that with what Harry has on his mind at the time. Graduating from school is understandably the least of his worries.)

And I'm not even a teacher! (big grin)

Laura

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Sep 26, 2006 2:41 am (#283 of 343)

Let it snow!
Laura W. --You can't be an Auror if you're a school dropout.--

Well, if they don't let him become an auror after defeating the most evil wizard in a century, then poo on them.

I was thinking the same thing, though, when I read that scene. Harry needs to focus on killing Voldemort now, but if he doesn't leave any possibility open for his future... I don't think I want to think of him running into this with an do or die kinda mind set, even though I know that's probably what he needs to come out of it alright......

- - - - - - - - - -
shepherdess - Sep 26, 2006 10:23 pm (#284 of 343)

55 year old mother of 3, step-mother of 2, grandmom to 3, living in Oklahoma
"Potter....I will assist you to become an Auror if it is the last thing I do! If I have to coach you nightly I will make sure you achieve the required results!"~Minerva McGonagall

If Harry doesn't return to Hogwarts, what happens to Mcgonagall's vow?

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Sep 28, 2006 4:52 am (#285 of 343)

Maybe she could give him private lessons outside of school?

Laura

- - - - - - - - - -
cindysuewho45 - Oct 5, 2006 3:55 am (#286 of 343)

Hi all, As you all know, I feel that there are one or two Horcruxes at Hogwarts for Harry to have to go back to school to find. They could be in the RoR or the CoS or just out of sight. This gives Harry, Ron and Hermione a chance to go to class, while they are really looking for the Horcruxes. Well how about this, then when Harry leaves to go and kill one more Horcruxes off that is not at the school, LV and his DE's come and fight for Hogwarts. They win the fight, not the war. And LV takes over the school! Then Harry will have to come back to the school to fight him and this would be a good reason for the 4 houses to come together at the end. To help fight the war and win against LV and the DE's and what ever else LV has in his army, etc.etc..

- - - - - - - - - -
Ludicrous Patents Office - Oct 29, 2006 6:09 pm (#287 of 343)

I think Harry will need to converse with Dumbledore's portrait. There are so many resources at Hogwarts that he may need. Cindysuewho45 I wouldn't be surprised of Harry does have to return for some Horcruxes. It may be for the final one: Voldemort might take over Hogwarts. LPO

- - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Nov 4, 2006 1:44 pm (#288 of 343)

"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up." A.A. Milne
It occurred to me that Harry and McGonagall might be a little co-dependent on this issue. We have seen how Scrimgeour wanted Harry to just show up at the ministry from time to time (also mentioned in post #31) for improving public relations. That would have been more one-sided though.

They will need each other to re-open Hogwarts successfully. Professor McGonagall has a lot more to offer Harry; besides the auror prerequisites, she offers the level-headed wisdom of an adviser, a connection to DD's portrait and instruments, and the only safe haven Harry remembers. Aside from Molly & Arthur, whose relationship is complicated by Harry's repressed feelings for Ginny, McGonagall is about the only mentor left who can be consistently relied upon. (Remus and Hagrid each having some unique disadvantages.) As upset as Harry was immediately after the death of DD, I think he'd probably consider working something out with McGonagall if she asks. And if she can come to terms with Harry as an emerging adult and no longer a boy, I think she will ask.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Nov 7, 2006 2:40 am (#289 of 343)

Return is a big question, since they have not even left yet.

Another question may be, If DD is gone, and all the special protections are gone as well, Will Volde be moving in instead? If it is empty all summer, except for the caretaker, will it be defended enough to keep VD and the DE out? Seems Volde is in desperate need of an education in ancient magic.

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Nov 7, 2006 7:44 am (#290 of 343)

I am sure the theachers have - between them all - enough knowledge to protect Hogwarts - up to a point.

They used their combined knowledge to protect the Sorceror's Stone. I can see the same type thing being done now for the whole school.

Remember Flitwick teaching the doors to recognize Sirius? The magic that makes it Unplottable will still be there. Dumbledore didn't put that magic on - it's been there since the beginning. I think that is what Hermione says in GoF.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Nov 7, 2006 2:45 pm (#291 of 343)

Unplottable makes it so muggles can't find it, the wizards know where it is.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 7, 2006 5:26 pm (#292 of 343)

Let it snow!
Unplottable makes it so it won't appear on a map so it's harder to find (which makes it all the more incredible that the Marauders plotted an Unplottable castle) by wizards and Muggles both. I think it's something else that keeps Muggles away.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Nov 7, 2006 8:57 pm (#293 of 343)

Yes of course. Also makes it incredible that Harry and Ron found it in the flying car just by following the rails. Seems it is not so hard to get around.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 7, 2006 10:12 pm (#294 of 343)

Let it snow!
Well, technically, weren't they following the Hogwarts Express not tracking Hogwarts? So, that would be a way to get around something being Unplottable, you aim for something that is plottable that you know, from personal experience, is nearby. There have been suggestions that the MoM may have made the Potters' house in Godric's Hollow Unplottable after Voldemort met his downfall in the young Harry Potter. If so, could Harry use a similar strategy to find the place?

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Nov 8, 2006 2:01 am (#295 of 343)

The train does not go all the way to the school. Harry does say it is quite a hike from the station. They could have followed it to Hogsmede, but then had to find it. I guess you can wander around and see it, just not see it on a map?

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 8, 2006 11:03 am (#296 of 343)

Let it snow!
Yeah, I'd imagine that once you found Hogsmeade you would be able to see Hogwarts, especially from the air, and so you could just turn the car in that direction and floor it.

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Nov 8, 2006 12:10 pm (#297 of 343)

Maybe once you have been told where it is, you can see it from then on. I guess Durstrang and Beauxbaton's had to be told where it was.

Hogsmeade isn't hidden is it?

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Nov 8, 2006 12:11 pm (#298 of 343)

I know that this is a very plain jane vanilla thought, but if the books are titled,"Year One at Hogwarts", Year two, etc, wouldn't it stand to reaswon that if it is written as "Year Seven at Hogwarts", wouldn't Harry be likely to be there?

I know I have asked this question before, but didn't really get an answer.

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Nov 8, 2006 12:16 pm (#299 of 343)

YES! Thom Matheson. I agree with you. He will be there in some capacity or the other.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 8, 2006 12:17 pm (#300 of 343)

Let it snow!
What sort of an answer would you like, Thom? I'm not sure that JKR was the one to title them "Year (insert number) at Hogarts". Was that her or Scholastic? Do the UK versions have that printed on the spine? My Scholastic version just says "Year X" not "Year X at Hogwarts".

Still, even if he only returned at the end of the book (I'm thinking Voldemort might want to set up house in his old school) for the big finale, a "Year Seven at..." label might fit.

Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Will Harry Return to Hogwarts? (Post 301 to 343)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:25 am

Thom Matheson - Nov 8, 2006 12:23 pm (#301 of 343)
You're right. Just the year. I'm sick, and visually impared with the thought of old thoughts. Feeling confunded, thinking that there was more to it then just saying yes he will or will not come back. I thought that it would be a simple straight forward way of saying of course he will be back, the title says so. What was I thinking? Nothing is just straight forward.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 8, 2006 12:28 pm (#302 of 343)

Let it snow!
A straight forward answer? Where would the fun be in that?!?

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Nov 9, 2006 3:10 am (#303 of 343)

Hi Thom. This interests me. Do the Scholastic versions really say "Year One," "Year Two," etc. on the spines of the books?

The Raincoast hard cover editions just give the title of the books ("Harry Potter and ..."), the name of the author and the publisher (Raincoast) on the spines. Neither there nor on the front cover nor on the title pages are the words "Year X" or "Year X at Hogwarts" to be found. On the back cover of all of the books, however, it says, "Harry Potter is about to start his Xth year at Hogwarts ..." or some such.

That could just be left off the cover of the last book if Harry is not about to start his seventh year at Hogwarts (as a student, at least).

As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, with Jo informing us - through the dialogue between Harry, Ron and Hermoine at the end of HBP - that Harry is not planning to return to school for his final year and that his two friends will abandon their education to follow him wherever he goes, she had better tell her publishers not to put anything about Year Seven on the cover. Even if Harry does end up back there as a NEWT student, Jo obviously wants her readers to believe he won't (which is why she had him say so) and wouldn't want to give away that he changes his mind - or whatever - before the reader has even cracked open the last book.

Laura

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Nov 9, 2006 6:42 am (#304 of 343)

Yeah Laura they all say "Year #", at the top of the spine, on all of my Hard Covers. I have a US paperback for all as well that I use to tear up with and they have the same. That is why my simple logic said yes he will come back.

I suppose that you could say that the series is a 7 year cronicle, but I always took it to mean at school as the children are called 1st years and 2nd years, etc. Nonetheless I found it interesting. I had no idea that there were additions that didn't have anything written on the spine. Now I am really interested.

- - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Nov 9, 2006 7:27 am (#305 of 343)

"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up." A.A. Milne
The Leaky Cauldon/Mugglenet interview (part 2) with JKR in July of '05 gave a couple of hints about the importance of Hogwarts in Book 7. Melissa (of TLC) started a sentence which Jo finished that implies the Sorting Hat might speak for the founders and that was followed with a statement that the founders of Hogwarts will play some role in Book 7.

Seeing as how the sorting hat, the Pensieve, the library, a great number of portraits, the ghosts, in short, just about every accessible point that would connect to the Founders happens to be at the institution they founded, it is almost a given that Harry will return to Hogwarts. The unknown part is will he return as a full-time or part-time student or as a former student?

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Nov 9, 2006 8:55 am (#306 of 343)

Or if it will simply be that base for the Order...depending on how many other students return.

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Nov 10, 2006 2:07 am (#307 of 343)

Ok guys, why do you think Jo had Harry tell Ron and Hermoine, at the end of HBP, very clearly and unequivocally that he would not be returning to Hogwarts next year ("I'm not coming back even if it does reopen.") ? Just to throw the readers off?

Laura

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Nov 10, 2006 10:23 am (#308 of 343)

Just the emotion of the moment. Once he thinks it through, there are going to be all sorts of activities that will bring him back, including his NEWTs for his Auror training.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 10, 2006 1:01 pm (#309 of 343)

Let it snow!
Hogwarts would be the best place to research the Founders which, seeing as he's looking for a Founder's heirloom, would make it very helpful to his Horcrux hunt. Also, it hosts the best resources for powerful magic and specialists all in one place in case Harry needs to figure out how to get past some enchantments or other protections, like we saw in the cave when he and Dumbledore attempted to get the RAB locket. Also, it provides a good source for medical assistance, should one of the Trio get hurt, without any questions attached, which is useful as Harry wants to keep the Horcrux hunt quiet. There are so many great reasons for him to return. Now, why did JKR have Harry out and out say he's not coming back? Maybe it was to show us that, even if he did return to Hogwarts, it wouldn't be as a student...?

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna L. Black - Nov 10, 2006 3:56 pm (#310 of 343)

I think it was more to show us what Harry feels he should do (or knows he should do, or wants to do) at the moment. That doesn't mean that he won't realize that coming back to Hogwarts has quite a few advantages for him.

Or, it could explain us Harry's actions at the beginning of book 7 (whatever they are), so that we won't be surprised he is not thinking about going back to school.

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Nov 11, 2006 3:11 am (#311 of 343)

Guess I was the only one in the whole world who, the first time I read HBP, was naive enough to take Harry - and Jo - at his word on this.

I just figured that, since some of the professors from Hogwarts were also members of the Order (McGonagall, Hagrid), they and their knowledge would be at his disposal - outside of school - in his Horcrux hunt, as would other staff (Flitwick, etc.) who would be willing to help in any way they could to defeat Voldemort. And the combined magical knowledge of all the Order members would also be something Harry could call on. Shacklebolt, Moody and Tonks are actually Aurors and could help him with acquiring additional anti-jinxes if he needed them. Lupin is obviously talented in his own way, having taught DADA and having taught Harry the Patronus Charm. In addition, every Order member would offer Harry as much physical protection as they could.

Guess I just couldn't figure out - assuming Hogwarts is even open next year (which I think it will be) - how Harry could be taking classes and studying for his very difficult NEWT exams while 1) hunting down the remaining four Horcruxes which could be anywhere in the world let alone all over Britain, 2) destroying the Horcruxes, 3) fighting in the war against DEs and Voldemort's followers and, finally, 4) seeking out and doing battle with Voldemort himself. I mean, he may be Harry Potter and he may be aided by Ron and Hermoine, but still ... as far as I know there are still only 24 hours in a day and he still can't be in two or three places at one time. (And there better not be any stupid time-turners in Book Seven!!)

Ok, I could see Harry dropping in occasionally to use the library - particularly the restricted section - or find a clue, but that's not him actually returning to Hogwarts for his seventh year. Which is what I take "I'm not coming back even if it does reopen" to mean.

(Somehow, I'm going to be proven wrong on this, aren't I? - grin)

Laura

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 11, 2006 4:39 am (#312 of 343)

Let it snow!
I don't think he'll be returning as a student, just returning for protection, assistance, ect. I could see him coming back so the school can stay open (it sounds like something Scrimgeor would do, get Harry's appearance at the school to be necessary for the school to remain open, considering how much he wants Harry's backing), thus giving him a sort of headquarters to return to between hunts, but I don't really see him sitting classes.

Then again, my brother and I have both been joking that Harry might come back and, being "the Chosen One" and a center of Auror protection, might have a transformed Tonks take his place in classes while he's off Horcrux-hunting.

- - - - - - - - - -
wingardio leviosa - Nov 14, 2006 10:58 am (#313 of 343)

I think he'll return when he'll understand that LV has Hogwarts in his aims. LV must first be found and then he can be killed. Furthermore, Hermione will remember him that his hunt will be facilitated by Hogwart's resources. It makes sense that when he's there he'll do the good student - he has keep the secret on his mission. He never told McGonagall, probably he won't yet, he'll maybe tell to selected few who can actively help. About having to go around sometimes (when he knows where to go, that is): it never was a problem for him to leave the school when he saw fit in former years, why should it be now that he can simply take a tunnel to Hogsmeade and apparate somewhere?

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Nov 18, 2006 1:08 am (#314 of 343)

Let it snow!
I was thinking today, assuming that Trewlany's not already been kidnapped as some have speculated, what happens to her and Firenze if Hogwarts closes? Might Harry begrudgingly go back in order to keep the school open to keep them hiden?

- - - - - - - - - -
MickeyCee3948 - Dec 19, 2006 8:30 pm (#315 of 343)

Don't really know myself if Harry will be back or not. As all of the books have really pretained to Harry's tenure at Hogwarts it would be rather hard for JK to leave it totally out of the final book but I really can't see it being used as a base of operations. That seems to fit #12 more than Hogwarts. I do think that the final battle will have to be at Hogwarts. Hogwarts has played such a pivotal part in both LV and Harry's lives that it would seem fitting that the final battle take place there. I would say the Ministry as the final battle spot but Harry nor LV seem very much at Home there where as they both consider Hogwarts their real home. JM2K's.

Mickey

- - - - - - - - - -
colbow - Jan 5, 2007 9:27 am (#316 of 343)

I think the final battle will be OVER Hogwarts..I see LV trying to take over Hogwarts, and so Harry who may not go back at first( i.e Godric Hollow, searching for Horcrux and so forth)will probably go back to rid LV from the school..

Like MickeyCee said, it will probably be at the end.

- - - - - - - - - -
Die Zimtzicke - Jan 16, 2007 11:30 am (#317 of 343)

Yes, Harry will come back but NOT as a full time student. That's my guess, and I think the portrait of Dumbledore is more intelligent than the usual portrait,so harry will consult it. It will me more like Phineas, who seemed quite intelligent for a portrait, as I see it. Harry could talk to it, but he should NOT be head boy in my opinion, and there should be NO Quidditch, which eggs on the division of the houses. Perhaps if few kids come back they WILL abolish the houses. I'd love a book with no Quidditch and no houses by default. How can the kids learn to get along if they are hardly ever interacting with each other?

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna L. Black - Jan 16, 2007 11:59 am (#318 of 343)

Well, JKR said that she has written her last Quidditch game, didn't she? So I guess your wish is going to come true, Die

- - - - - - - - - -
xray - Jan 30, 2007 5:41 pm (#319 of 343)

Hermione will work in Fred & George's Joke Shop after Hogwarts
I'm 99% certain that Harry will definately return to Hogwarts for a full year. JKR said so back in October of 1999 on the Diane Rehm Show:

I always planned that we would see Harry from starting at Hogwarts to finishing at Hogwarts which is, in my world wizards come of age at 17, age 17, so in book 7 we will see Harry come of age which means he's allowed to use magic outside of school and you'll see the end of that school year so it will be 7 years in his life.
And this quote from an interview also in October of 1999:
I have another question on that. How many more books are there? I had this discussion with my step daughter yesterday. Will there be 7 books for the 7 years of school?
JKR: Exactly, there will be 7 books.

Oh, there is 7. All right!!
JKR: Yeah, one for each of his years at Hogwarts, yeah

And nothing about him after school.
JKR: Probably not. I can’t say more than that, but no, I planned 7 and I’m going to stick with 7, I think.
- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs Brisbee - Jan 31, 2007 4:49 am (#320 of 343)

Perhaps Harry, with help from Ron and Hermione, will destroy the Horcruxes and vanquish Voldemort, and then they will return to school to finish their final year. If it takes an extra year, oh well, as long as he does finish. And then the Trio can be in Ginny and Luna's class, and they can all graduate together.

- - - - - - - - - -
Die Zimtzicke - Jan 31, 2007 10:59 am (#321 of 343)

I've often thought that. That the trio would finish after the war, with Ginny and Luna, provided they all survive. You don't have graduations in Britain, though, unti after University, so graduating isn't the thing to strive for. It's passing your final exams, I think, if it was explained to me properly. Of course, Hermione could probably pass those exams now.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jan 31, 2007 11:22 am (#322 of 343)

Librarian
Die, I notice that you did not include Neville among the survivors. I, too, worry that we had better appreciate him while we can.

- - - - - - - - - -
sstabeler - Jan 31, 2007 12:48 pm (#323 of 343)

I somehow doubt Harry would be able to destroy all the horcruxes and kill Lord Voldemort and then go on to pass his NEWTs. I reckon he will complete his education first, then find all the horcruxes, then kill LV, having either joined the Aurors, or got a different, but related job in DADA.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Jan 31, 2007 2:16 pm (#324 of 343)

I would think finding all the horcruxes, destroying them and then defeating Voldemort would somehow take the place of his NEWTS and he would graduate with honors, having faced and achieved more than any student before him.

- - - - - - - - - -
Die Zimtzicke - Jan 31, 2007 2:39 pm (#325 of 343)

I didn't include Neville, because we have no canon evidence he's also considering not returning to Hogwarts. Only Harry, Ron and Hermione are included in that conversation. I think Neville might finish his education on schedule. He'll still help, but he'll do more of his helping from the school. Then when the others finish theirs, I think he might be ready to come back and be the one who teaches. Perhaps Sprout will retire after Harry and Company leave school?

- - - - - - - - - -
MickeyCee3948 - Jan 31, 2007 3:58 pm (#326 of 343)

Yeh, I would bet at least 50 galleons that Harry won't have to take NEWT exams unless he want to.

Mickey

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Feb 1, 2007 2:51 am (#327 of 343)

from the other side (of the Channel)
Edited by Feb 1, 2007 1:53 am
The Wizard school is not an ordinary school, it leans to wizarding education, which seems to me more practical that our (occidental)education system. When Harry made the demonstration of his wizardy talents, wasn't he exempted of some exams?(GoF? or my imagination?)

In my mind, the quest of Horcruxes will need all the abilities learned at Hogwarts, and more. If some students, and Harry first of them, succeed in vanquishing Voldemort, they would have demonstrated their ability, therefore the council of teachers could decide to give them the diploma. (I would vote for that if was I that council!)

But I agree, Hermione would perhaps insist to go through her exams!

- - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Feb 1, 2007 5:53 am (#328 of 343)

xray, thanks for tracking down those quotes.
I think it is time for McGonagall to be clued in on what DD told Harry about the prophecy & horcruxes. As much of a stickler as she is for rules, I think she could find a way around them if she knew what was at stake. More schools around here are developing internships where a kid goes to a couple of core classes early in the day and then spends from mid-morning on in a work environment. That may be too "outside the box" for the typical boarding school, but if Harry were to be an auror intern, he could do both school and horcrux hunting.

- - - - - - - - - -
MickeyCee3948 - Feb 1, 2007 8:54 am (#329 of 343)

I wouldn't be surprised if Dumbledore's portrait has a few things to say to Prof. McGonagall as soon as he wakes up.

Mickey

- - - - - - - - - -
Die Zimtzicke - Feb 1, 2007 12:14 pm (#330 of 343)

I think Harry actually had to sit all his exams. And I doubt if they'd have internships for aurors, no matter who you are, if that requires three years of study AFTER Hogwarts. They might do that, but I don't know if they'd really change all the rules at once, even for Harry.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Feb 1, 2007 12:58 pm (#331 of 343)

They had no exams in COS and Harry had no exams in GOF. I don't think passing someone who has done more then the teachers combined would be a problem. He may even get his diploma posthumously.

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Feb 1, 2007 2:19 pm (#332 of 343)

from the other side (of the Channel)
Not funny ! (yes, it is...) Harry will live, why not, with a little help of his friends...

- - - - - - - - - -
juliebug - Feb 1, 2007 4:45 pm (#333 of 343)

I thought (and am very prepared to be wrong) that the NEWTS are done like the OWLS, standardized tests that are administered and evaluated by impartial education professionals who are not associated with Hogwarts School. These tests are not the same as end of term final exams which are given by the teachers. While there are definately many people in the wizarding community would probably think that Harry should be given his choice of employment by virtue of who he is and what he has done, I think he'll still need to takes his NEWTS.

- - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Feb 2, 2007 7:24 am (#334 of 343)

I think he'll still need to takes his NEWTS.

Like DD...he will have accomplished more at 17 than most wizards have accomplished in a lifetime. That is like saying Jo has to take an exam on Harry Potter.

- - - - - - - - - -
sstabeler - Feb 2, 2007 8:55 am (#335 of 343)

he'll still need his NEWTs. why? because eventually, people will stop caring about how he defeated lord Voldemort, perhaps quicker than you might think. I mean, when he was one, by the time he was 15, people didnt' even mention it, until Lord Voldemort rose again. and if Lord Voldemort is dead, then he won't rise again. he would need some sort of official qualification so that he could prove he was competant at magic. ok,i can see him becoming fairly high-profile ( what's the betting he will be offered a place on the wizengamot?) I can't see him being famous forever just on the basis of defeating lord Voldmeort, after all, Dumbledore was famous for his MANY achievements, not just one.

- - - - - - - - - -
xray - Feb 2, 2007 9:54 am (#336 of 343)

I think he'll have a big summer. There will be lots happening around his birthday--for one thing, he's GOT to get Dudley back with magic. Actually Jo said this a long time ago (before GoF). If you're interested, I uploaded this little clip of Jo talking about it on youtube; here is the transcribed text:

How many books am I planning to write? Harry Potter books? There will be seven total, one for each of the--oh, you look so happy, I'm so glad. That would be very depressing for you and, [speaking in a slow, whiny voice] Oh nooo... can't you give it a rest now?...[laughter] Erm, it's ah, he's going to be at hogwarts for seven years. In the seventh book he'll turn seventeen so he'll come, in the wizarding, in my wizarding world, you come of age at seventeen, ok so in book seven he'll be allowed to use magic outside school. Ha haa! So Dudley's really going to be in trouble. [laughter, clapping] [In a scolding voice] Now look at you being nasty to Dudley!
We've also got Bill and Fleur's wedding and possibly some "excitement" from Voldemort (once the charm wears off of Privet Drive). So I just think Harry is going to have a big summer and it may not be until 1/3 of the way through the book when it's time to go to Hogwarts. I have a feeling he'll need answers from there, and will have to research or look for something there, and I think there may be a class or two he'll REALLY be interested in and want to learn, hence he'll return for the full year.
- - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Feb 2, 2007 5:12 pm (#337 of 343)

That makes perfect sense about having a big summer because the books have made such a big issue of "coming of age at 17." Beyond 17 being a nice prime number, there must be some plot reasons for allowing Harry to do magic whenever and wherever now.

The youtube clip doesn't have even a hint of JKR trying to be coy or evasive about Hogwarts. She speaks as if it is a given that Harry will be there all seven years.

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Feb 2, 2007 5:52 pm (#338 of 343)

I will claim one for myself thank you very much. For me the titles were the give away. Year 1, Year 2, etc. It just made sense that the 7th year at Hogwarts had to be there.

- - - - - - - - - -
xray - Feb 2, 2007 7:04 pm (#339 of 343)

The youtube clip doesn't have even a hint of JKR trying to be coy or evasive about Hogwarts. She speaks as if it is a given that Harry will be there all seven years. - Chemyst

Yes, exactly. Back then, before she got super famous, she was less guarded about her secrets. Old interviews provide a lot of insight Smile

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Feb 2, 2007 7:05 pm (#340 of 343)

"I will claim one for myself thank you very much. For me the titles were the give away. Year 1, Year 2, etc. It just made sense that the 7th year at Hogwarts had to be there."

Not to take anything away from you, Thom, I am just writing this as a point of interest.

The Raincoast hardcover editions just give the title of the books ("Harry Potter and ..."), the name of the author and the publisher (Raincoast Books) on the spines. Neither there nor on the front cover nor on the title pages are the words "Year X" or "Year X at Hogwarts" to be found. On the back cover of all of the books, however, it says, "Harry Potter is about to start his Xth year at Hogwarts ..." or some such.

Can't speak for the Bloomsbury hardcover editions, of course.

laura

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Feb 2, 2007 7:54 pm (#341 of 343)

Mine are all Scholastic us

- - - - - - - - - -
Laura W - Feb 3, 2007 1:41 am (#342 of 343)

Which is exactly my point. If the Scholastic publishers were the only ones who chose to put "Year One" etc. on the covers, perhaps they know something more about Harry returning to Hogwarts than the rest of us are allowed to know. Sort of like a clue that the rest of us don't have. (I wonder how Jo feels about that.)

Of course it didn't really become significant until we all read, at the end of HBP, that Harry comes right out and declares that he will not be returning to school the next year.

Thus, we who get our books from other publishers now have to find out from you Americans - before we even start reading our copies in July - if the cover of the Scholastic DH continues the precedent and has "Year 7" on it. If it does, well ... so much for Harry saying he won't go back. (Doesn't this make you feel powerful? big smile)

Laura

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Feb 3, 2007 7:39 am (#343 of 343)

Why yes, Able to leap tall buildings, thank you

Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Re: Will Harry Return to Hogwarts?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top