HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Quotations and Excerpts from HBP

Go down

Favorite Quotations and Excerpts from HBP Empty Favorite Quotations and Excerpts from HBP

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:15 am

Favorite Quotations and Excerpts from HBP

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

Kip Carter - Jul 23, 2005 7:07 am
co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!
Edited Nov 17, 2005 12:44 am

This thread was suggested by Hem Hem, one of our Hosts, and Nymphadora Lupin.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Favorite Quotations and Excerpts from HBP Empty Favorite Quotations and Excerpts from HBP (Post 1 to 68)

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:16 am

The Wandless Wizard - Jul 23, 2005 7:03 am (#1 of 68)
When wands are outlawed, only outlaws will have wands.
I think this book had a lot of great lines. Here are the ones I remember liking and could find on my quick skim through:

"Yes. And last time I looked, he was definitely one boy, not five". (HBP, Ch6)
This line alone isn't that great. However the whole exchange where Fred and George grill Ginny abouyt her boyfriends while at the same time talking about their store is great. In context, I like this line.

"There's no need to call me 'sir', Professor.". (HBP, Ch9)
Best line in this book, and possibly in any Harry Potter book. I was soooo hoping Harry would have the back-bone to tell Snape off all last book. This isn't exactly a telling off, but it is good enough.

"Yeah, and others might say it's your duty to check that people are really death Eaters before you chuck them in prison". (HBP, Ch 16)
Again, this line works well in context of Harry standing up to the Minister of Magic. The whole exhange I was rooting for Harry (obviously), and this line stuck out.

"I always [stay out of trouble], Mrs. Weasley," said Harry. "I like the quite life, you know me.". (HBP, Ch 17)
I think I have heard this line somewhere else almost verbatim, but I can't place it. Still, it cracked me up when I heard it, maybe all the more since it was familiar.

"I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore..."I am with you.". (HBP, Ch 26)
The symmetry between this line and the one very early in the book when DD says Harry need not worry because Harry is with him is very nice.

"What do I care how he looks? I am good-looking enough for thje both of us, I theenk!". (HBP, Ch 29)
I love how this line is both sweet and completely conceited at the same time. Perfect for Fleur.

There are more but those are what sprang to mind right off. I'll leave the rest to the rest of you.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ponine - Jul 23, 2005 7:33 am (#2 of 68)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Puffskeins - seven sickles... Fake Wands - five galleons... Daydreams in a box six galleons... "The Constipation Sensation that's Gripping the Nation" - Priceless..

- - - - - - - - - -
Roseviolet - Jul 23, 2005 8:02 am (#3 of 68)

Excellent choices Wandless Wizard and certainly among my favorites as well! Rather than repeat, I'll just add a few more.

"Dumbledore's man through and through, aren't you, Potter?" (Scrimgeour) "Yeah, I am...Glad we straightened that out." (Harry, HBP, Ch. 16)

I adore Harry's self-assured response to what was clearly intended as a slight. I have visions of Harry saying this with a narrowed-eye glare, a la Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.

Why are you worrying about You-Know-Who? You should be worrying about U-No-Poo -- the consitpation sensation that's gripping the nation!" (WWW Poster, HBP, Ch. 6)

Brilliant. Another example of why I adore Gred and Forge, er, Fred and George.

"Won-Won!" (Lavender, HBP, Ch. 17)

I still haven't stopped laughing at this one.

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna L. Black - Jul 23, 2005 9:48 am (#4 of 68)

Edited by Jul 23, 2005 10:05 am
That book is absolutely filled with funny things. Here are some more:

'We... we are alone, aren't we?' Narcissa asked quietly. 'Yes, of course. Well, Wormtail's here, but we're not counting vermin, are we?' (Snape, Ch. 2)

Loved it. Although Snape in this book is... well, so Snape-ish, I agree with him completely on this one.

'I take my hat off to you - or I would, if I were not afraid of showering you in spiders.' (Dumbledore, Ch. 4)

A bit of comic relief after talking about Sirius.

'I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius before I am reunited with Lucius.' (Narcissa, Ch. 6)

One of those phrases that makes you love the bad guys for just a brief moment.

(After the incident on the train, when Harry joins the feast - ) He hoped very much that they would all assume he had been involved in something heroic, preferably involving a couple of Death Eaters and a Dementor. (Ch. Cool

I just sat and laughed for a couple of minutes after reading this.

'Take Charms,' said Professor McGonagall, 'and I shall drop Augusta a line reminding her that just because she failed her Charms O.W.L., the subject is not necessarily worthless.' (Ch. 9)

McGonagall can be so gentle at times.

Edit: Let's continue -

'She laughed at my moustache!'
'So did I, it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen.' (Ron & Harry, Ch. 15)

Way to go, Harry Smile

'But you are normal!' said Harry fiercely. 'You've just got a - a problem -'
Lupin burst out laughing.
'Sometimes you remind me a lot of James. He called it my "furry little problem" in company. Many people were under the impression that I owned a badly behaved rabbit.' (Ch. 16)

Definitely one of my favourites. Totally cracked me up.

[...] after Professor Flitwick had dried himself off with a wave of his wand and set Seamus lines ('I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'). (Ch. 17)

Hillarious!

The next one is so emotional -

'He accused me of being "Dumbledore's man through and through".'
'How very rude of him.'
'I told him I was.' (Harry & Dumbledore, Ch. 17)

So sad, in the light of the whole book....

I think that's definitely enough for now Smile

- - - - - - - - - -
Circe - Jul 23, 2005 12:55 pm (#5 of 68)

U - No - Poo The Constiptation Sensation Gripping the Nation

- - - - - - - - - -
Puck - Jul 23, 2005 1:57 pm (#6 of 68)

Mommy, Queen of Everything
"Sorry Professor, I forgot to break" (Said cheerfully by Giiny after crashing in Zack Smith.)

Pretty much anything said by Luna.

- - - - - - - - - -
greyeyesathene - Jul 23, 2005 4:36 pm (#7 of 68)

I agree that both 'U-No-Poo' and 'Won-won' are awesome. I thought I'd put down some other quotes people haven't mentioned...

"But for heaven's sake-you're wizards! You can do magic! Surely you can sort out-well-anything!"(the muggle Prime Minister, p.18)

"There is nothing I wouldn't do anymore!"(Narcissa, p.21) I love Narcissa.

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."(Dumbledore, p.56) So very Dumbledore and therefore so utterly great.

"For future reference, Harry, it is rasberry...although of course, if I were a Death Eater, I would have been sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."(Dumbledore, p.62) Just DD being DD...

"Idiotic woman. Never like her."(Slughorn, p.69) In reference to Umbridge and her dealings with the centaurs. I instantly liked him after this.

"I realized I can't shut myself away or-or crack up. Sirius wouldn't have wanted that, would he? And anyway, life's too short...It could be me next, couldn't it? But if it is,...I'll make sure that I take as many Death Eaters with me as I can, and Voldemort too if I can manage it."(Harry, p. 77) One of the most fiercely powerful things Harry has ever said.

"Mollywobbles,"(Mrs. Weasley, p. 86) Molly/Arthur love is teh cool.^^

"You see, we have never been able to keep a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher for longer than a year since I refused the post to Lord Voldemort."(Dumbledore, p. 446)

"Myrtle, this is the boy's bathroom!"(Harry, p.461)^^

"MURDER IN THE BATHROOM!"(Moaning Myrtle,p, 523) Nuff said.

"I understand what a nickname is,"(Snape, p.528) Did anyone take that like I did? I kinda thought he was making a reference to the whole 'snivilus' ordeal.

"KILL ME!" "This-this one will!"(Harry and Dumbledore, p.573) I just think is so much meant by this that we don't know yet...

"Jokes? No, on, these are manners,"(Dumbledore, p. 593) heh

"Take *that*!"(McGonnagall, p. 599) Even when I first read it I couldn't help laughing...

"DON'T CALL ME COWARD!"(Snape, p.604) I frankly found this hilarious...

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"(Hermione,p.651)

"...I've got to track down the rest of the Horcruxes...then I've got to go after the seventh bit of Voldemort's soul...I'm going to be the one to kill him. And if I meet Severus Snape along the way, so much the better for me, so much the worse for him."(Harry, p.651)

Sorry for so many... I also thought everytime Slughorn or DD offered someone a drink was worth mention.

- - - - - - - - - -
David Olson - Jul 23, 2005 5:32 pm (#8 of 68)

My favorite line came early, when DD was enjoying the hospitality of the Dursley's.

"I don't mean to be rude---" ...

"---yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely. "Best not to say anything at all, ..."

I always wanted a comeback for "I don't mean to be rude---" and similar phrases like, "This might not be politically correct," which almost always signals a bigotted and hateful comment.

- - - - - - - - - -
Circe - Jul 23, 2005 6:08 pm (#9 of 68)

"If I'm having lessons with you, I won't have to do Occlumency with Snape, will I?"

"Professor Snape, Harry - and no, you will not."

"Good," said Harry in relief, "because they were a -"

"I think the word 'fiasco' would be a good one here."
"I don't think you should be an Auror, Harry," said Luna unexpectedly. Everybody looked at her. "The Aurors are part of the Rotfang Conspiracy, I thought everyone knew that. They're planning to bring down the Ministry of Magic from within using a combination of Dark Magic and gum disease."

Lupin burst out laughing. "Sometimes you remind me alot of James. He called it my 'furry little problem' in company. Many people were under the impression that I owned a badly behaved rabbit" "

- - - - - - - - - -
Nymphadora Lupin - Jul 23, 2005 7:12 pm (#10 of 68)

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."

As I'm about to embark upon my own adventure of sorts, I really enjoyed this line!

- - - - - - - - - -
zelmia - Jul 23, 2005 7:23 pm (#11 of 68)

Oh! And that's a bad miss!
"It looks like he's eating her face, doesn't it? But I suppose he's got to refine his technique somehow."

"Of course, you weren't a lot of use to him in prison, but the gesture was undoubtedly fine-"

"I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being - forgive me - rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger."

- - - - - - - - - -
Verity Weasley - Jul 23, 2005 7:29 pm (#12 of 68)

There are so many to choose from, I think this is probably one of the funniest books so far (and I can't see book 7 being all that humorous). The favourite for me would have to be Luna's Rotfang Conspiracy - just hilarious!

- - - - - - - - - -
Cassiopeia - Jul 23, 2005 8:07 pm (#13 of 68)

I haven't seen this one mentioned...

"Harry, please. You're talking to the man who raised Fred and George." - Mr. Weasley, p 134 American

- - - - - - - - - -
Blaise Zabini - Jul 23, 2005 8:11 pm (#14 of 68)

Edited by Jul 23, 2005 8:17 pm
"Yeah, like you'd dare do magic out of school," Malfoy sneered. "Who blackened your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers."

gotta love malfoy

Harry looked mockingly around the shop. "Wow...look at that...he's [Dumbledore's] not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!"

Go Harry!

Malfoy made an angry movement toward Harry, but stumbled over his overlong robe. Ron laughed loudly.

I just love this chapter!

...where a gaggle of delighted ten-year-olds was watching a tiny little wooden man slowly ascending the steps to a real set of gallows, both perched on a box that read: REUSABLE HANGMAN--SPELL IT OR HE'LL SWING!

=)

"'One simple incantation and you will enter a top-quality, highly realistic, thirty-minute daydream, easy to fit into the average school lesson and virtually indetectable (side effects include vacant expression and minor drooling.) Not for sale to under-sixteens.' You know," said Hermione, looking up at Harry, "that really is extraordinary magic!"

An all-time favorite line for Hermione!

..so many more, but that'll have to do for now!

Edit: Oh, one more- "That's not saying much, seeing as you're already dead." Ron observed.

"Once again, you show all the sensitivity of a blunt axe," said Nearly Headless Nick in affronted tones...

- - - - - - - - - -
Blaise Zabini - Jul 23, 2005 8:22 pm (#15 of 68)

Yes, one last one...for now hehehe

"Well, that's one good thing," he [Harry] said savagely. "Snape'll be gone by the end of the year."

"What do you mean?" asked Ron.

"The job's jinxed. No one's lasted more than a year....Quirrell actually died doing it....Personally, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for another death..."

lol this sounds more of a remark that Ron would make, not Harry.

- - - - - - - - - -
virgoddess1313 - Jul 23, 2005 9:15 pm (#16 of 68)

"Lupin burst out laughing. "Sometimes you remind me alot of James. He called it my 'furry little problem' in company. Many people were under the impression that I owned a badly behaved rabbit" "

This is my favorite off the top of my head. There was so much humor in this book it was pretty hard to choose from, as I tend to lean towards funnier lines.

- - - - - - - - - -
Luanee - Jul 23, 2005 10:31 pm (#17 of 68)

My favourite is the one Fleur saying she is good looking enough for both Bill and her, so funny yet so touching...

- - - - - - - - - -
mom molly - Jul 24, 2005 11:23 am (#18 of 68)

One of my favorite lines is It is easier to forgive some one for being wrong than being right. I guess that about sums up the situation with Percy.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jul 24, 2005 11:51 am (#19 of 68)

Connections, speculation, discussion: the best part of HP reading! Check out the on-going HP Lex Forum series re-read! Currently reading GoF...
I love all of the quotes listed above!

One of my favorite parts is Harry's conversation with Scrimgeour at Christmas...so self-posessed and confident! Also, DD's response to Harry telling DD that he'd told Scrimgeour he was DD's man through and through....definately the most touching.

The funniest....no one else has mentioned it yet: the garden gnome on top of the Weasley's Christmas tree: stunned, painted gold, stuffed into a tutu and wings glued onto his back....all because he was foolish enough to bite Fred's ankle as he was pulling carrots for dinner! I could just see Fred, George, Ron and Harry working on the gold paint, tutu and wings, and then placing it on top of the tree with no one else the wiser! **snort** ROTFLOL** grin** Fred and George are worth their weight in galleons!

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Jul 24, 2005 10:51 pm (#20 of 68)

I definitely loved each and everyone of the quotes mentioned here! I was re-reading the book yesterday and reading this quote, it made me cry with laughter again:

"Fred reckons his left buttock has never been the same since."
Said by Ron, about the twins trying to make him make an Unbreakable Vow and Arthur's reaction...

And one of the most moving moments of the book, Lupin saying to Tonk:

"And I have told you a million times,' said Lupin, refusing to meet her eyes, staring at the floor, 'that I am too old for you, too poor... too dangerous..."

- - - - - - - - - -
Nearly Legless Mick - Jul 25, 2005 1:56 am (#21 of 68)

There were a lot of great lines in this book. The first chapter had me chuckling a lot, "U No Poo" is just classic (if only they could slip LV a massive dose of it in a fake Elixir of Life or something,he might end up destroying horcruxes himself rather than face an eternity of constipation), and the "you dont have to call me Sir", and "I'm beautiful enough for both of us, no?" lines were also brilliant.

There's two others I haven't seen mentioned that I really enjoyed:

Kreachers report on Malfoy is hilariously useless, "Master Malfoy moves with a nobility that befits his pure-blood heritage, his fine features......". Give that elf a job at Harpers and Queen.

And Harry's ingenious way of getting rid of Crabbe (or Goyle) in disguise keeping look-out for Draco, " Hello.......you're very pretty aren't you"

I really hope that makes it into the films.

- - - - - - - - - -
The Sword and the Lion - Jul 25, 2005 4:45 am (#22 of 68)

"Kreacher will not insult Harry Potter in front of Dobby, no he won't, or Dobby will shut Kreacher's mouth for him!" cried Dobby in a high-pitched voice.

"--kicky, scratchy!" cried Peeves happily, now pelting bits of chalk at the elves to enrage them further. "Tweay, pokey!"

"Kreacher will say what he likes about his master, oh yes, and what a master he is, filthy friend of Mudbloods, oh, what would poor Kreacher's mistress say --?"

Exactly what Kreacher's mistress would have said they did not find out, for at that moment Dobby sank his knobbly little fist into Kreacher's mouth and knocked out half of his teeth.
-----
A space cleared in the crowd, and Harry pushed his way toward the counter, where a gaggle of delighted ten-year-olds was watching a tiny little wooden man slowly ascending the steps to a real set of gallows, both perched on a box that read: REUSABLE HANGMAN -- SPELL IT OR HE'LL SWING!
-----
Dear Harry, Ron, and Hermionie,

Arragog died last night. Harry and Ron, you met him, and you know how special he was. Hermione, I know you'd have liked him.

"He's mental!" he said furiously. "That thing told its mates to eat Harry and me! Told them to help themselves! And now Hagrid expects us to go down there an cry over its horrible hairy body!"

(Slughorn's speech was well done):

Of course, it's difficult for you, who knew him best," said Slughorn, who like Harry could reach no higher than Hagrid's elbow, but patted it all the same. "Why don't I say a few words?"

"Farewell, Aragog, king of arachnids, whose long and faithful friendship those knew you won't forget! Though your body will decay, your spirit lingers on in the quiet, web-spun places of your forest home. May your many-eyed descendants ever flourish and your human friends find solace for the loss they have sustained."
----
"Harry! Don't you see? Voldemort himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people the oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"

- - - - - - - - - -
Puck - Jul 25, 2005 10:34 am (#23 of 68)

Okay, where is that "your very pretty, aren't you" line? I must have been half asleep because I don't remember it at all! Quite funny.

- - - - - - - - - -
Sconie Girl - Jul 25, 2005 11:38 am (#24 of 68)

I just loved Snape talking w/ Bella in chapter 2...

[Bella] "No, you were once again absent while the rest of us ran dangers, were you not, Snape?"

[Snape] "And-forgive me-you speak of dangers...you were facing six teenagers, were you not?"

- - - - - - - - - -
Snuffles - Jul 25, 2005 1:33 pm (#25 of 68)

Olivia
My favourite line from HBP is on page 216 British edition.

Hagrid gave another great snort. Harry rather thought some bogies landed on the potatoes, and was inwardly thankful that they were not staying for dinner.

If anyone isn't sure what bogies are, I think you call them boogers(sp!)in America!

- - - - - - - - - -
rassannassar - Jul 25, 2005 1:35 pm (#26 of 68)

I think that was edited out in the American version.

And, I think that any American who didn't know what a bogey was, knows now just from reading the books, but more likely because they still called them bogies in the movies.

EDIT In response to post 27: OK. I guess I forgot.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jul 25, 2005 1:46 pm (#27 of 68)

Librarian
It was in the American edition.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jul 25, 2005 2:25 pm (#28 of 68)

The eyes are the windows to the soul...
When Hermione scolds Harry for supposedly putting the Felix Felicis in Ron's drink, and Harry responds:

"Hark who's talking! Confunded anyone lately?"

I'm still rolling over that one!

Plus I loved the one David Olsen mentioned earlier with Dumbledore at the Dursleys:

"I don't mean to be rude---" ...

"---yet, sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely. "Best not to say anything at all, ..."

- - - - - - - - - -
Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 26, 2005 1:18 pm (#29 of 68)

One of my favorites is on page 351 USA edition. The password of: Abstinence. Especially with all the snogging going on and the hung over Fat Lady. LPO

- - - - - - - - - -
Robert Dierken - Jul 26, 2005 8:19 pm (#30 of 68)

"Three dementor attacks in a week, and all Romilda Vane does is ask me if it's true you've got a hippogriff tattooed across your chest."

- - - - - - - - - -
rassannassar - Jul 27, 2005 10:38 am (#31 of 68)

"And what did you tell her?"

"I said it was a Hungarion Horntail. Much more macho."

"And what did you tell her Ron's got?"

"A Pygmy Puff, but I didn't say where."

- - - - - - - - - -
Amilia Smith - Jul 27, 2005 6:50 pm (#32 of 68)

Edited Jul 27, 2005 8:18 pm
Puck: The "you're very pretty" line is in ch. 21, "The Unknowable Room," p. 464, Scholastic.

I also got a kick out the Fat Lady's post Christmas passwords. So very un-Fat-Ladyish. Abstinence. Tapeworm. Suddenly our tippler Fat Lady has become a teetotaler and a dieter.

One of the many quotes that had me rolling around laughing (and has not yet been mentioned):

"He, he -- who says it's a he?"
"We've been through this," said Harry crossly. "Prince, Hermione, Prince!"

After all our discussions regarding who the HBP could possibly be, and should we rule out girls or not . . .

Mills.

- - - - - - - - - -
Puck - Jul 27, 2005 7:53 pm (#33 of 68)

Thanks Mills! I found it! I forgot it was when he was under the invisibility cloak.

- - - - - - - - - -
Eamonn Keane - Jul 28, 2005 2:52 pm (#34 of 68)

Harry: Do you know someone called the Half-Blood Prince?

Lupin: What, is this a title you're thinking of adopting?

- - - - - - - - - -
Valfunde - Jul 29, 2005 9:18 am (#35 of 68)

University Pre-Health Professions Advisor
Wandless Wizard - Thank you for pointing out when DD says "I'm not worried, Harry. I'm with you." Oh, my goodness! That line broke my heart, but in a good way. I had to put the book down and get a tissue at that point.

- - - - - - - - - -
pottermom34 - Jul 29, 2005 8:49 pm (#36 of 68)

liked all the quotes and exerpts suggested but my favorite was one word: snogging

- - - - - - - - - -
Herm oh ninny - Jul 30, 2005 2:21 pm (#37 of 68)

"Accio treats!"
LOL Pottermom! Me too! I now use the word snogging any chance I get!

- - - - - - - - - -
Oruma - Jul 31, 2005 4:09 pm (#38 of 68)

all the lines mentioned are great, but I myself love this part the most:

"Half our family does seem to owe you their lives, now I stop and think about it," Mr Weasley said in a constricted voice. "Well, all I can say is that it was a lucky day for the Weasleys when Ron decided to sit in your compartment on the Hogwarts Express, Harry." (chapter 19, "Elf Tails")

- - - - - - - - - -
Weeny Owl - Aug 1, 2005 10:59 am (#39 of 68)

Harry looked mockingly around the shop. "Wow...look at that...he's [Dumbledore's] not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband!"

That's my favorite line of the whole book. I just cannot stand the Malfoys, and Harry calling Lucius a loser of a husband just made me laugh. I also liked Harry being tall enough now to look Narcissa right in the eye when he said it. Of course, Draco tripping after that was another chuckle.

- - - - - - - - - -
Emily - Aug 1, 2005 2:27 pm (#40 of 68)

I agree with all the lines here. I especially like Snape and Luna's lines, but there are a lot of funny lines for such a dark book.

One paragrapgh that had a big impession on me, even the first time I read it:

But he understood at last what Dumbledore had been trying to tell him. It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world.

Not funny at all, but it has a lot of meaning.

- - - - - - - - - -
Regan of Gong - Aug 2, 2005 11:51 pm (#41 of 68)

Self declared doctor of everything.
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Luna and her Spectrespecs yet.

"and Luna, who was now wearing her free Spectrspecs, which gave her the look of a demented, multicoloured owl"

I also love:

"I enjoyed the meetings too," said Luna serenely. "It was like having friends"

And finally-

"Bill told me 'ow Fred and George are very amusing!" Said Fleur, smiling serenely.

"Yes, I can hardly breathe for laughing," Snapped Hermione

Gotta love it...

- - - - - - - - - -
Sconie Girl - Aug 3, 2005 10:17 am (#42 of 68)

I enjoyed the meetings too," said Luna serenely. "It was like having friends"

I felt SO bad for Luna when she said this. I even pointed it out to my non-reader Husband to explain all about Luna and her lack of friends!

- - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Aug 4, 2005 12:10 am (#43 of 68)

Robert Dierken & rassannassar, you posted what I was going to--I loved the whole tattoo conversation, and Harry & Ginny's nonchalance versus Ron's vehemence. (Yes, I'm exercising my vocabulary today )

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - -
Marie E. - Aug 6, 2005 7:11 pm (#44 of 68)

I don't think this one has been mentioned, if so I apologize.

"Harry was left to ponder in silence the depths to which girls would sink to get revenge."

- - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Aug 7, 2005 1:02 am (#45 of 68)

Yeah, that one resonated with me as well, especially since I've seen some of those depths... (hey, I am a giant squid after all!)

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - -
Briar Rose - Aug 7, 2005 9:22 am (#46 of 68)

"Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. Ghosts are transparent ."
I agree with the word snogging. It's my favorite word, but that's because I finally know what it means! I didn't bother to look it up in my english-dutch dictionary because I was reading non-stop.

Most of the quotes listed above are very funny and made laugh. I loved Luna's comments during Quiddtich.

Snape's comment to Harry in DADA class made me cry with laughter. 'Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. Ghosts are transparent.'

Harry whispering in Goyle's ear when he's transformed as a little girl outside the RoR: 'Hello... you're very pretty, aren't you?'

Arthur: "What do you like me to call you when we're alone together?" Molly:"Mollywobbles"

Snape:'This is the copy of Advanced Potion-Making that you purchased from Flourish and Blotts?' Harry: 'Yes,' said Harry firmly. Snape:'Then why does it have the name Roonil Wazlib written inside the front cover?'

- - - - - - - - - -
Dr Filibuster - Aug 7, 2005 1:28 pm (#47 of 68)

Sue, from Northwich, England.
....It's my nickname. LOL!

- - - - - - - - - -
T Brightwater - Aug 9, 2005 8:14 am (#48 of 68)

The little references to the Spell-Check Quill going berserk were hilarious. I've seen real spell-checkers that came up with things almost as ridiculous.

Slughorn disguising himself as an overturned armchair (and Dumbledore poking him with his wand) was a hoot - Sluggy may be a coward, but he's an imaginative one!

Wormtail protesting about being Snape's houseboy, and Snape saying something like, "Oh, are you yearning for more dangerous assignments?"

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Aug 9, 2005 8:26 am (#49 of 68)

Librarian
Just because he wants to be left alone doesn't mean he is a coward.

- - - - - - - - - -
zelmia - Aug 10, 2005 7:05 pm (#50 of 68)

Oh! And that's a bad miss!
"Yes, I know what a nickname is."

- - - - - - - - - -
veil 26 - Aug 15, 2005 1:19 pm (#51 of 68)

Snape to Harry: "I don't think we've ever had a house with negative points this early in the term. We haven't even started pudding."

- - - - - - - - - -
The Sword and the Lion - Aug 15, 2005 5:14 pm (#52 of 68)

"I must not tell lies"

- - - - - - - - - -
MWPP - Aug 17, 2005 9:28 pm (#53 of 68)

"...only your Phoenix lot got in the way..." "Yes, they do that." (I think this may be my favorite quote)

"that I am to old for you, too poor... too dangerous..." (most touching moment of the entire book, possibly series)

"Killing is not nearly as easy as the innocent believe."

"Please do not use that offensive word in front of me."

"I haven't got any options!"

I just love the exchange between Dumbledore and Draco (in case you can't tell)

- - - - - - - - - -
imprint of a departed soul - Aug 18, 2005 4:40 am (#54 of 68)

Here's some of my favourites

McGonagall: It's high time your grandmother learned to be proud of the grandson she's got and not the one she thinks she ought to have.

Nearly Headless Nick: Once again you show all the sensitivity of a blunt axe

Scrimgeour: Dumbledore's man through and through aren't you Potter? Harry: Yeah I am. Glad we straightened that out.

Harry: There's no need to call me "sir", Professor.

Ginny: You prat, Ron. Look at the state of her. Harry: Ginny, don't call Ron a prat, you're not the captain of this team. Ginny: Well you seemed to be to busy to call him a prat and I thought someone should.

Hagrid: I'm a teacher! A teacher, Potter! How dare yeh threaten to break down my door! Harry: I'm sorry, sir Hagrid: Since when have yeh called me "sir" Harry: Since when have you called me "Potter"

Madam Pomfrey: I'm keeping you in overnight. You shouldn't overexert yourself for a few hours. Harry: I don't want to stay here overnight I want to find McLaggen and kill him Madam Pomfrey: I'm afraid that would come under the heading of overexertion.

Ron: Well what Harry said is the most useful if we're trying to tell them apart. When we come face to face with one down a dark alley we're going to be having shufti to see if it's solid, aren't we, we're not going to be asking "Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?" (hence my name)

Hagrid: Someone couldn' have a grudge against the Gryffindor Quidditch team, could they? Firs' Katie, now Ron. George: I can't see anyone trying to bump off a quiddtch team Fred: Wood might've done the Slytherins if he could've got away with it.

Draco: Your phoenix lot got in the way Dumbledore: Yes they do that

- - - - - - - - - -
T Brightwater - Aug 22, 2005 6:04 pm (#55 of 68)

Peeves barricading a door and not letting anyone through unless they set their own pants on fire. Harry and Ron use an alternate route, but shortly afterwards, Neville comes into the dorm accompanied by the odor of singed fabric, and starts rummaging through his trunk for another pair of pants. (I missed this in the first reading.)

- - - - - - - - - -
Snuffles - Aug 23, 2005 3:47 am (#56 of 68)

Olivia
Ha I really laughed at that bit too T Brightwater. I was reading it in bed and was laughing so hard, I woke up hubby who didn't find it funny in the slightest!

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Mate for Sirius - Aug 25, 2005 1:54 pm (#57 of 68)

Counting the days until 6/20/09....
So many good quotes! I don't have my book with me right now, so I can't add my favorites...but don't you worry, they will be coming

Speaking of quotes, is there a thread on here for favorite quotes from the other five books?

- - - - - - - - - -
Finn BV - Aug 25, 2005 3:46 pm (#58 of 68)

Me kayaking, Niagara River, August 2006. I have been likened to Reepicheep in this photo.
Soul Mate, this thread was created during the 16-day Spoiler period, and I was surprised when it didn't merge with the existing thread, Favourite Quotes. That thread is, of course, for all books, but this was created specifically for HBP when we couldn't post in the other thread.

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Mate for Sirius - Aug 30, 2005 9:13 am (#59 of 68)

Thanks Finn!

I wasn't sure. There are so many good quotes in HBP and I love reading everyone's favorites, but there are SO many quotes from the other 5 books that I love too! Ok, still don't have my book, so I'm off to read the quotes from the other 5 books. My favorites will be coming soon!

- - - - - - - - - -
Joanna S Lupin - Sep 1, 2005 1:26 pm (#60 of 68)

Little Bobik
Harry, about Scrimgeour: He called me Dumbledore's man through and through. Dumbledore: How very rude of him. Harry: I said I was.

Or something like that. So touching!

- - - - - - - - - -
Soul Mate for Sirius - Sep 1, 2005 7:24 pm (#61 of 68)

Joanna- that one really got me too. I started crying as soon as Harry said "I said I was". (I know, I'm a cry baby, but honestly, it was soo sweet)

-Jenn

- - - - - - - - - -
Joanna S Lupin - Sep 2, 2005 12:35 am (#62 of 68)

Little Bobik
Jenn - you're not alone! I had tears in my eyes most of the Harry-Dumbledore scenes.

Dumbledore to Harry, after fake locket mission: I don't worry, Harry. I'm with you...

starts weeping all over again*

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Sep 15, 2005 6:20 pm (#63 of 68)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
Oh, I love that line. Pass the Kleenex.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread - I don't know how I missed it for so long. There is not a quote that has been mentioned that I don't just love. This book really has some priceless lines in it. I think I enjoyed some of Dumbledore's lines when he sort of blew his own horn, so to speak. I won't try to quote them here, but we all know of Dumbledore's intelligence and spectacular magical abilities, but to hear him sort of brag on himself several times throughout the book really amused me.

- - - - - - - - - -
Cass Lass - Oct 22, 2005 12:52 pm (#64 of 68)

Dog crazy vet
Yeah Luna's Rotfang conspiracy theory was so funny I had tears in my eyes! Also for some strange reason I found the mental image I had of Sanguini eyeing those giggling girls at Slughorn's party really funny. And then having a pie/pasty shoved in his hands; it's kind of silly but in my head the scene plays out like a weird Fast Show/Benny Hill kind of scene (OK those of you who haven't been exposed to classic British comedies are NOT going know what that last line meant!)

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Oct 24, 2005 10:22 am (#65 of 68)

When am I going to stop crying at the hospital wing scene with Fleur & Mollie?????

I think I cry more at that then Dumbledore dying or his funeral!

- - - - - - - - - -
Ace Potter - Nov 4, 2005 6:47 am (#66 of 68)

The book for me is like one single great quotation.

- - - - - - - - - -
journeymom - Apr 11, 2006 4:57 pm (#67 of 68)

Five months later isn't too late, is it??

I love visual humor. p.293 Bloomsbury version. Ron and Lavender are attached at the lips. Harry thinks,'Girls were very strange sometimes.'

Parvati and Hermione are talking about Slughorn's Christmas party.

Parvati "...you're going, aren't you?"

"Yes, I'm meeting Cormac at eight and we're-"

There was the noise like a plunger being withdrawn from a blocked sink and Ron surfaced. Hermione acted as though she had not seen or heard anything.

"-we're going up to the party together."

A little later Harry contemplates the depths to which girls will go to get revenge.

The sound of the noise like a plunger just made me laugh soooo hard. What a funny picture.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tazzygirl - Apr 12, 2006 1:48 am (#68 of 68)

Uluru/Ayer's Rock glowing in the morning sun
Completely agree with you there, Journeymom!! I laughed really hard when the word 'plunger' came up. It's never too late to post! By the way, welcome to the forum!!!
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down