HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 pm

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion
This topic was opened to archive the above titled thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum (HPLF) as it was created and hosted on World Crossing (WX) until WX ceased operation on 15 April 2011. ~ John

(Note well:
  • Embedded images and links were not saved in this text based process.
  • Written URLs were made active links, and
  • Character based emoticons were recognized and replaced with graphic emoticons automatically by the ForuMotion software.
)

Kirsten Luxon - Oct 16, 2002 5:41 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Dec 20, 2006 8:55 am

This was the largest thread on the first movie, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers/Philosophers Stone". Therefore I have used this thread to serve as the discussion thread for all thoughts concerning this movie.

I hope and expect that all discussion about this movie be confined to this thread. Threads added to the General Discussions area will be deleted.

There will be threads available for each of the movies and one thread available for discussions about the cast of the movies. Please limit your thoughts about the cast to that one thread. I thank you!

This thread was originally named, "Problems In the 1st movie" and I may add posts from other threads concerning the first movie to this thread. Below is the original post. ~ Kip

There are like so many problems with that movie 1. In the book Harry moves to the spare room of Dudley's 2. said the Dark forest 3. and just 1 class of each in the movie any others?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 1 to 10 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Kirsten Luxon - Oct 16, 2002 4:45 pm (#1 of 353)

I really do hate when they do that.

Erin Griffin - Oct 17, 2002 11:34 am (#2 of 353)

Also if you have a frame to frame thing on your VCR/DVD player, you will have to notice that right before Oliver wood bats the quaffle away, the Slytherin player dodges away from a noticeably fake HARRY POTTER! Then after the hit is blocked they show Harry sitting on his broom cheering as if he didn't even move!

Ani - Oct 17, 2002 11:45 am (#3 of 353)

He now, if you have to watch something frame by frame to find a flaw, is it really that flawed?

Oh wait the Qudittch scene... Yes *L* that could have been done better. Heck the producers admitted it could have been done better. Then again, in a darkened movie theater at 12:00 at night after waiting for nearly a month tos e the freaking movie with my dad, it looked pretty spiffy to me *L*

Of all the special effect, the Quidditch scene bugged me the least. There really hasn't been anything similar to that done that I know of, so I can see them having issues first time around. I'm sure it's improved in CoS

There's just no excuse though, for the state of the CGI creatures.

-Ani

Kirsten Luxon - Oct 17, 2002 4:17 pm (#4 of 353)

Ok so I really didn't see that problem in the Quiddicth game... I have to look harder.Ohhhh.... you know ron wasn't suppose to go into the Dark Forest(wrong name)it was neville!

Chocolatelatte - Oct 17, 2002 4:38 pm (#5 of 353)

Yeah... I think that was done to: 1. Consolidate the dragon / Dark Forest scenes in a reasonable manner, and 2. Conform to the viewers' expectations. As for 2, in the movie, Neville is not developed as a character. Based on the screen time devoted to Ron, Harry, and Hermione in the movie's first scenes, the uninformed viewer expects the action to revolve around the main Trio. The inclusion of Neville in such an important scene would have been unduly confusing to many viewers who had not read the books. (Not to say that I agree with the decisions made.)

Hamuera - Oct 17, 2002 7:34 pm (#6 of 353)

get a load of that troll, the designer did a pathetic job and every single person in the production crew who let that be in the movies should be fired and have some better people who know some cgi come in and do the job. damn i could draw a better looking one than that. it looked like a retarded version of the green guy from shrek and was painful to watch.

Marieke van Hees - Oct 17, 2002 9:37 pm (#7 of 353)

I have to admit that I found the film-Harry to be quite a softy compared to the book-Harry. The clearest example of this (for me at least) was that in the book Harry gets really angry when Ron and Hermione say he shouldn't go down the trapdoor himself, but in the film Ron and Hermione don't object to that, and Harry just says "If Voldemort gets the Stone, he'll come back." Not remotely angry. Also why doesn't Ron ask Harry to stop saying Voldemort's name? And why doesn't Harry dive to try and catch Neville's Remembrall? Ok, ok, maybe I'm getting too detailed here Wink

Hamuera - Oct 17, 2002 9:44 pm (#8 of 353)

yeah i didnt consider daniel radcliffe such an emotional sort of character. he looked like he still couldnt believe that he landed the part so much that he looked stupid most of the time. ron was out of character very much.

Kirsten Luxon - Oct 18, 2002 6:20 am (#9 of 353)

Hey yaaaa... Ron did't try to stop saying Voldemorts name. I think maybe they all should make that movie over without any mistakes!

Slytherin Prefect - Oct 18, 2002 6:50 am (#10 of 353)

Now, I know coming from a self-professed Harry Potter geek, this may sound like the pot calling the cauldron black, but I think you guys are being way too hard on the moviemakers.

It's simply impossible to make a Harry Potter movie that follows the book exactly. For one, it would run in excess of six hours to include all the scenes that are included in the book, and secondly, things like including Lee Jordan's biased commentary and his struggle with McGonagall over the microphone, while GREAT in the book, would kill the established pace in the movie.

The bottom line is, you are free to do far more in the context of a book than you are a movie. I've seen many terrible, terrible movie renditions of a book, and this one is not nearly that terrible.

Are there flaws in the movie? Of course there are, but at the same time, it was still a good movie, and that movie has done a lot of good for the Harry Potter world.

For one, it was that movie that got me interested in Harry Potter in the first place, and I stand before you now the geek that I am.

Secondly, it put all those kewl toys on the market (I have pretty much ANYTHING carrying a Slytherin logo on it ^_^) and brought Harry Potter into the mainstream.

I thought all the actors did a fine job in their roles for the limited movie format they were given, and the screenplay adaptation was absolutely great for what it was.

At least Snape didn't have long, flowing blonde hair. -_-

So guys, try not to hold Columbus and crew to an impossible standard, here...

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 11 to 20 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 pm

me jim - Oct 18, 2002 7:04 am (#11 of 353)

One thing that really annoyed me about the film was that at the end Harry has his arm in plaster. Perhaps I'm getting a bit too picky here but a) there is no mention in the books of him breaking his arm anb b) even if he had he still wouldn't have needed to have it in plaster. In PoA Harry says that Madam Pomfrey can fix bones in seconds!!

Jim. :^)

Denise P. - Oct 18, 2002 7:06 am (#12 of 353)

I have always maintained being fairly pleased with the movie. It exceeded my expectations. Yes, it had flaws but overall, it remained fairly true to the books but still could appeal to the mainstream who had never picked up the book.

I think that the cast and crew did a pretty terrific job overall.

Jena Parsons - Oct 18, 2002 1:24 pm (#13 of 353)
Edited by Oct 18, 2002 2:40 pm

I think that they did a really good job on the HP movie!!!! OK, it didn't follow the book exactually, but still you got the main points of the book. I think the only reason that JKR let them make a movie about HP is because if people liked the movie they might read the book. I mean she definitally doesn't need the money. Think about it. If they put all the finer detales into the movie the book would seem boring.

Here are some things I liked/didn't like:

I think it was really funny when Harry rolled his eyes in the movie when Hermione was saying "Nearly headless, how could you be nearly headless?"

I really like the actors'/actress' acents. It is so funny. Expechily Oliver Wood.

I think the whole scene where Ron's telling Harry and Hermione that he is going to sacrifice himself is kind of cheezy. I mean the script is fine but their tone of voice when they do that scene (expechily Ron's) is funny. It sounds like he is making fun of someone. And Harry's it sounds like he is yelling to someone across a football field. And Hermione's tone of voice... let's just say it sounds like she is asking Harry to pass the teapot.

I think they should have brought out the fact that Harry and Snape were enimies a little bit better though. The only thing that really came out and said "Snape and Harry are enimies!" was the scene in Snape's class.

I also wish they would have put Peaves into the movie and Norbert they should have completely cut or have put all of it into the movie. I mean it ends all of a sudden.

I think they should have made Fred and George alot funnier in the movie. I mean that was one of the things I liked most about the HP books.

Chocolatelatte - Oct 18, 2002 3:14 pm (#14 of 353)

I'd say it was a decent movie, worth watching, but not worth watching every day. Smile The biggest problem I had was with the CGI. (*shudder*) Apparently, Columbus realized from the first movie that the studio needs to be given more time, so hopefully, we can expect better from CoS.

Peeves - Oct 18, 2002 7:44 pm (#15 of 353)
Edited by Oct 18, 2002 8:45 pm

I don't see how you can say a movie had "excusable defects" when none of the child-actors could act! Someone tell Daniel Radcliffe that there is more to smiling than showing your teeth. And you have to deliver your line as if you hadn't rehearsed it beforehand. And someone tell Emma Watson that there is no value in OVERacting. And will someone explain to Rupert Grint that you have to stay in character when not delivering your lines?

stupendous - Oct 18, 2002 8:09 pm (#16 of 353)

I thought the movie was pretty good. Yeah, it could have been better, but it could have been a lot worse.

Quidditch could have been cut to save time, for instance.

I thought the actors were pretty good. This was Emma's first movie, and Daniel has only been in 2 other movies.

You shouldn't have expected them to all act like Snape did. Did you notice that all the people who expected the movie to blow thought it was good? And all the people who expected it too be perfect were disappointed?

"He who expects nothing is always joyful, for he never is disappointed." Benjamin Franklin

kheshire - Oct 18, 2002 8:30 pm (#17 of 353)

Cut the kids some slack! They're young, they're doing the best they can, and they were chosen, I think, on the basis of their appearance more than their talent. Plus, those all sound like director's problems to me -- Chris Columbus made 'Home Alone', don't forget.

Jena Parsons - Oct 19, 2002 3:09 pm (#18 of 353)

I totally agree with you kheshire. I think they did great! I mean if anyone complains, do you think you could do any better? I mean it must be really hard on them. Just think about it. They spend all of their time at a studio and your the one in the spotlight. All I know is that I wouldn't do any better and I think they did great!

Kevin YouBustSlug - Oct 19, 2002 5:11 pm (#19 of 353)

The movie didn't hold a candle to the book. One can appreciate the fact that the movie would be several hours longer if were true to the book, but given that thought, and remembering that Sorcerer's Stone was by far the shortest book to date, imagine how much of the subsequent movies is going to be left lying on the cutting room floor. I agree with most of the objections to the movie...the child actors were atrocious, they couldn't even put green contacts in Harry's eyes. They never even mentioned that his eyes were green which according to JKR is going to be important in later books. Hermione was way too pretty. George and Fred and Neville were reduced to insignigicant and not particularly likable characters. But, as I was reading the book the first time, I thought to myself that if they were to make this into a movie they would have to cast Maggie Smith as Prof McGonagall. I pictured her as I read the book. The adult actors were good and all well cast. Kenneth Branagh should make a great Lockhart in the upcoming film. But I'm certainly NOT looking forward to that insipid Harry. I really objected to some totally needless changes in the movie. The snake was now from Burma rather than Brazil. Harry and Draco had their repartee about who were the right sort of people in the castle rather than in the hall. Yeah, the more I think about it...the movie sucked.

JasmineE - Oct 19, 2002 5:23 pm (#20 of 353)

There's also a problem with Hagrid's house in the first movie. It was stone. But in the book, Hermione says'Hagrid! You live in a wooden house!" She said this when Norbert was in his 'hut'. I'm new, by the way...

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 21 to 30 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:49 pm

cara - Oct 19, 2002 5:47 pm (#21 of 353)

I think all movies made from books are just going to have to be accepted for what they are. I personally think the makers tried to hard to make special effects seem like magic.

W J - Oct 19, 2002 5:56 pm (#22 of 353)

I agree, Cara. The movie is a different entity from the book and you have to look at them as separate works based on the same characters.

Carina - Oct 19, 2002 5:59 pm (#23 of 353)

It is extremely rare when a movie can meet or exceed the greatness of a book. Forest Gump and Jumanji are the only two I can think of... of course, "great" would hardly describe either book.

cara - Oct 19, 2002 6:33 pm (#24 of 353)
Edited by Oct 19, 2002 7:34 pm

Thanks W J. If I had the tallent to express myself understandibly, I would have said exactly what you said above.

remuslupin - Oct 19, 2002 6:51 pm (#25 of 353)

rupert is the exact opposite of ron, if you ask me. he's short, he's got a flat nose, and he is not ron. why do they have to make a movie and ruin the whole thing?

cara - Oct 19, 2002 6:53 pm (#26 of 353)
Edited by Oct 19, 2002 7:53 pm

I thought ron looked cute. Aww . . .

Elizabeth Smith - Oct 19, 2002 10:27 pm (#27 of 353)

The movie could have been better, and some of the scenes they put in were either pointless, or acted all wrong. The chess scene at the end didn't live up to expectations, and I wish the centaurs had of had a bigger part. I didn't like the troll, it looked to fake. The child acting wasn't horrible, I give the KIDS credit for doing their best. I mean, they are only what, 11? They did better then what you can expect most 11 year olds to do

Headache - Oct 19, 2002 10:37 pm (#28 of 353)

ease up remuslupin sure he didn't look like the perfect ron weasley but it would be impossible to find someone who could. im sure the casting people know what they're doing. personally i though the acting was a bit weak but with the exception of precious few child actors tend to be that way. besides i would way rather see daniel radcliffe as harry doing the job he did rather than hailey joel osmond. anyways visual differences dont always affect the movie selling yourself as the character defines a great actor for example many people were disappointed with daniel radcliffes acting yet he looked very similar to many peoples idea of harry yet alan rickman didnt look exactly as i thought snape would look yet he sold himself as snape and he was my favourite to watch.

Elizabeth Smith - Oct 19, 2002 10:39 pm (#29 of 353)

I think Snape was excellent. Personally, when I thought of Snape, I thought of him as more thin...somewhat sickly almost, the kind of person that looks dead, but Alan Rickman did sell himself, and he's the perfect person for it.

Peeves - Oct 19, 2002 10:40 pm (#30 of 353)

I'd like to say that JK did not do herself a favor when she said all actors must be British. Haley Joel Osmund doesn't look the part of Harry as much as Radcliffe, but he is without any competition the best child actor alive. He would have been brilliant! What a missed chance!

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 31 to 40 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Elizabeth Smith - Oct 19, 2002 10:42 pm (#31 of 353)

But the British actors did give the movie something. It made it more...magical. Although the scene at Diagon alley did remind me of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol

Hamuera - Oct 19, 2002 11:02 pm (#32 of 353)

Haley Joel Osmund threw a hissy fit when he didnt get the part coz hes a little punk, personally I think hes a little brat and having him as Harry Potter would more than ruin the movie, hes a better actor that radcliffe but not so good that it would have affected the end product.

Carla Hodge - Oct 20, 2002 2:49 am (#33 of 353)

Can I just say that I thought the one thing that couldn't be faulted was the music. It was stunning. Thank you John Williams!

Slytherin Prefect - Oct 20, 2002 5:01 am (#34 of 353)

Well, just goes to show, you can't please everyone.

Nicholas Willington - Oct 20, 2002 12:54 pm (#35 of 353)

Haley Joel Osment... I'm telling you, if he'd been cast as Harry, I would have been completely and utterly scared of seeing the movie. He annoys me to no end, for reasons I don't know...

Oh, and as to some one's comment that "Hermione was too pretty," I, myself, never really saw Hermione as being that unfornunate looking, and really, if you compared her to the descriptions we get of Pansy and Millicent, she could seem like a down-right doll, no?

My opinion on the movie: Not too shabby. It was good for what it was, and I never really found myself wanting to rant and rave about mistakes.

Denise P. - Oct 20, 2002 12:59 pm (#36 of 353)

::::gag:::: I think I would have also passed on the movie if HJO had been cast as Harry.

Really in the grand scheme of things, no matter who was cast, what was cut, how the special effects were done...there would be unhappy fans with the movie. The books are rich in detail to the point that it would be impossible to translate it in a worthy manner without being horribly costly and long.

I think what the movie makers and JKR were hoping to achieve was to appeal to fans as much as possible but also appeal to the general public who were not previously Harry Potter fans. I still think they did pretty well...even if Dumbledore's casting left much to be desired.

yid1 - Oct 20, 2002 4:15 pm (#37 of 353)

what happend to the potions at the end??

Carina - Oct 20, 2002 4:17 pm (#38 of 353)

The potions were my favorite challenge!

Elizabeth Smith - Oct 20, 2002 4:19 pm (#39 of 353)

Same, I would have prefered that over the chess game!

Peeves - Oct 20, 2002 7:25 pm (#40 of 353)

If we are in agreement that none of the child actors could ACT then we should all agree that regardless of whether everyone would have the same interperetation as the director and regardless of whether they picked good scenes IT WAS A BAD MOVIE!!! Even someone who hadn't read the book would have admitted that if the main actors can't act IT WAS A BAD MOVIE!

~Peeves~ "NOTHING! Told you I wouldn't say nothing if you didn't say please! Ha ha haaaa!"

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 41 to 50 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:51 pm

Denise P. - Oct 20, 2002 7:35 pm (#41 of 353)

I don't think the child actors were that hideous, I think they were inexperienced actors (as a lot of children are) who did their best. They may not have done the role the way *you* (as in generic you, no one specically) would have liked them to but apparently the director was pleased with their efforts.

The one glaring, horrible, awful, stinking bad performance was without a doubt Richard Harris and that hideous impression of Dumbledore. He stated so many times that he had never read the books, never intended to and took the part to please his grandchildren...even without that, it was obvious he was not interested in the role. I would rather have had someone who was passionate about the role than an insipid performance.

Carina - Oct 20, 2002 7:42 pm (#42 of 353)

I can not agree that "IT WAS A BAD MOVIE". While it did fall short of my (admittedly HUGE) expectations, I still enjoyed it and plan on seeing CoS on Nov. 15 Smile

kheshire - Oct 21, 2002 12:50 am (#43 of 353)

"If we are in agreement . . . "

I think it is clear that we are NOT all in agreement, Peeves. I liked the movie quite a bit, and I liked the inexperienced, sometimes overwrought child actors. I prefer their honest efforts to the typical "look how big my eyes can get" child actor (*cough* haleyjoelosmet *cough*). And please, no matter how desperately important you think your opinion is, don't SHOUT, and definitely, don't SHOUT the same thing twice.

Hedwig - Oct 23, 2002 12:54 pm (#44 of 353)

um peeves, obviously everyone is NOT in agreement that the child actors were horrible. i have to say though, that I was very dissapointed with daniel radcliff as harry. he was too unemotional but he did look the part. whoever said hermione was too pretty, where in the books did it say she has to be ugly? i thought she did a pretty good job. also, whoever said rupert grint was horrible, sure he didn't look the part but out of the three (radcliff, watson, and grint) he did the best job. i was disapointed beyond comparison with dumbledore. Richard harris was horrible! dumbledore is supposed to be energetic! harris looked like he might collapse any minute! I just can't get over that part. I was also disappointed with the quidditch match as well as the quidditch stands. also, I was very mad that they left out the potions challenge (i love logic!) and I disliked the way the keys chased after harry when it specifically said that they didn't in the books and that ron and hermione didn't asist in the key chase at all. also, the way the chess pieces destroyed one another bothered me too, in the books it just says that they knocked each other out! and the way quirrel crumbled at the end! that was horrible! and also, voldemort wasn't anywhere near scary enough. all in all, the whole finding the stone part sucked.

I definately didn't like the movie as much as the book but I thought it was a good movie for people who hadn't read the books.

Kirsten Luxon - Oct 26, 2002 9:23 am (#45 of 353)

Ok one thing and one thing only... We all have opinonss ok I now lots of things were wrong but hey the actors/actress were good!

Lilly P. - Oct 26, 2002 9:28 am (#46 of 353)

What's CGI

Harmony O'Daniel - Oct 26, 2002 10:33 am (#47 of 353)

The boa constricter is suppose to be from Brazil, not Burma.

W J - Oct 26, 2002 12:14 pm (#48 of 353)

CGI is Computer Generated Images (special effects or FX)

Peeves - Oct 26, 2002 1:20 pm (#49 of 353)

I have four pieces of advice for the director

1) Someone tell Daniel Radcliffe there is more to smiling than showing your teeth!!!!

2)Someone tell Daniel Radcliffe that you must deliver your lines AS IF YOU HADN'T REHEARSED THEM BEFOREHAND!

3)Someone tell Rupert Grint that you have to *****stay in character when not delivering your lines*****!

4)Someone tell Emma Watson that there is no value in OVERacting!!!

Thank you. My point is it was a bad movie regardless of whether or not the audience is familiar with the book. Harry Potter fans should be up in arms that they have allowed this butchered screen production to show nonPotties what Harry Potter is like!

~Peeves~ "Heard you talking about poor Myrtle. Rude you was about poor Myrtle. OY, MYRTLE!"

Denise P. - Oct 26, 2002 1:24 pm (#50 of 353)

Peeves, since I sincerely doubt the director haunts the forum, I don't see your point in posting the same message over and over and over again. We got your points the first time they were posted.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 51 to 60 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Florida Warlock - Oct 26, 2002 2:05 pm (#51 of 353)
Edited by Oct 26, 2002 3:11 pm

Yah. Yer right. Whoever said the troll looked totalt fake is totally right. Have you seen Lord of the Rings; The Fellowship of the Ring?? Now the troll in that movie looked real! But I also have to say that the editors for the movie did do ok considering they spend all their time in a studio. But they still coulda made the movie a little more realistic. I also wish that they made the Quidditch match a little longer. It was too short. A lotta action though. But they'll have better matches in the 4th movie. In the Qudditch cup series!!

Carina - Oct 26, 2002 8:42 pm (#52 of 353)

Florida,

Are you not the same person who gave another person a hard time for their typing mistakes?

Not as easy as it looks, is it?

Subzero - Oct 26, 2002 10:52 pm (#53 of 353)

Peeves, I would just like to mention that Daniel Radcliffe did well for being only 11 years old (all of them did)! I doubt any of us could do better. Also, everyone seems to think Harry should be emotional, in the books he thinks emotionally, but very rarely shows it too anyone - except embarressment and joy. He is a child with no parents growing up in the Dursley house. Do you think he grew up showing much emotion there. Radcliffe played Harry as a reserved, thoughtful character.

Peeves - Oct 27, 2002 8:22 am (#54 of 353)

Still, when acting one of the objectives is to make the delivery not look like you're reading from a script. It's supposed to look natural, like the things you are saying just came to you, not like you're reading from a script.

P.S. Eleven year olds can act faaaaar better! Have you ever watched the Sandlot??

Almiria - Oct 27, 2002 11:11 am (#55 of 353)

I must say i was disappointed with the movie. I know that they had to cut scenes, it would have been a loong time to get everything in. But what they cut, in my humble opinion, was not the greatest things to cut. The Potions was one thing that was not something that should be cut, and it wouldnt have taken that long to put it in. They made the quidditch match really short. It was even more disapointing when the movie theater i was at accidentally played the starting local advertisements during the quidditch match. I thought dumbledore should have been more active. Was Crabbe or Goyle seen that much? I forgot some of it. Ahh well. Now to debate watching the movie at home... eh.

C Kim - Oct 27, 2002 11:32 am (#56 of 353)

As a die-hard Harry Potter fan (like most of the Lexicon-ers) I was disappointed in the movie, but I (unrealistically) expected every little detail of the book to be included. I nit-picked the movie when I watched it, but in reality I have nothing to complain about. It is wonderful that in our "muggle world" a wizard world could be created. I tip my hat to the producers and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Chamber of Secrets. I will say that I also missed the potions part in the quest for the stone. It is one of the most brilliant occurances in the novel.

Princess Thumper - Oct 27, 2002 12:15 pm (#57 of 353)

Okay, so most of us seem to feel there are at least one or two things with the movie that could have been done better or differently, but what about Hogwarts castle itself? I personally feel that it was perfect. I really don't think that it could have looked any better- the classrooms, Gryffindor's section, the moving stairways, the grounds... It's almost exactly as I pictured it.

Subzero - Oct 27, 2002 12:16 pm (#58 of 353)

Peeves, I loved the Sandlot, but you are comparing apples to oranges. The movies are nothing alike! I can act like I'm playing baseball - anybody can. For most of the sandlot the kids are playing baseball or goofing around. If they had shown the kids just goofing around in HP, they probably would have been more realistic. In fact, I hope they are able to do that in the COS movie. Give the kids a chance, it was their first movie.

Kathy Lynch - Oct 28, 2002 7:57 am (#59 of 353)

YES! The castle was wonderful. As was Hagrid's hut. I agree that we shouldn't nit-pick too much. I'm not upset with leaving things out, what i don't like is putting things IN that weren't there! Such as Hermione on the train with the glasses.....

Kip Carter - Oct 28, 2002 5:50 pm (#60 of 353)

Flaws in the movie! It does not bother me. There are many who had never read the first HP book who went to the movie and became HP fans. They wanted to know more. Many started reading the books! Now that's when HP fans become educated fans. Then they come on this Forum or visit the Lexicon or some other avenue and become energized fans. Then they really get involved with what are the finer points of HP and become FANATICS, like the members of this Forum. I love it! From where a person starts to finally gets to that stage is insignificant! As Mike use to say, "Just do it!"

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 61 to 70 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:53 pm

W J - Oct 29, 2002 9:30 pm (#61 of 353)

Think of the movies as the ultimate fan fiction. They are not written by JKR but are based on her characters. They will never be exactly like the books but they are a nice tribute to them. I enjoyed the first movie and look forward to more.

carolynb - Nov 2, 2002 10:08 am (#62 of 353)

I personally think that they did a brilliant job with the casting too. There is not one of the chracters who did not look exactly like I imagined they would when reading the books!!!

seeker388 - Nov 2, 2002 4:41 pm (#63 of 353)

I personal thought the castle was horrible. It was a lot different than what I thought it would be like, but that's my own opinion. Besides that and some small flaws it was a good movie.

P.S. I'm watching the movie as I type this.

Crookshanks - Nov 14, 2002 11:11 am (#64 of 353)

Daniel Radcliffe lacked as an actor, but looked the part perfectly. I think that they cast kids who looked the part over their acting abilities. The worst line this kid delivers (and there are many) is when Hagrid tells him that Voldemort tried to kill him. "Me...he tried to kill...me?" could that sound ANY MORE read off a script and completely unemotional? And his reaction to Hagrid telling him he's a wizard? I don't know, I pictured him a lot more overwhelmed, or jeez, at least a little surprised! The movie excited me and made the images come to life, but it was mediocre at best.

I too would be extremely upest if Haley Joel osment was Harry. I'm so glad they didn't choose him, that kid makes me want to throw up.

I never thought Hermione was supposed to be monster ugly either--i think that she looked perfect in the movie. Exactly how I pictured her.

timrew - Nov 20, 2002 2:54 pm (#65 of 353)
Edited by Nov 20, 2002 2:57 pm

I have the DVD of PS and have watched it several times and really enjoyed it. But there is one scene that always grates. It's when the witch with the trolley comes along the train and asks, "Anything from the trolley, dears?". Ron (holding out some squashed up, unappetising sandwiches) replies, "No thanks. I'm all set.". And then Harry dives into his pocket, holds out a handful of gold and silver and says, "We'll take the lot!". Ron looks at the money and says, "Woaah!". This is done totally differently in the book. Harry buys a lot of stuff of the trolley (but not everything), and then offers to swap with Ron for one of his sandwiches. In other words, Harry is shown as the really nice person he is, not trying to hurt Ron's feelings, or seem like he's offering Ron charity, while at the same time, wanting to share all his nice things with Ron. The film makes him out to be the total opposite, a complete show-off. "Look at me! I've got loads of money and I can buy anything!". This is poor script writing that was overlooked (or ignored) by the script writer, the script editor and the director. There again, they were probably rushing to get the film finished for Christmas. Just a small thing to get off my chest.

Ryan Budde - Nov 24, 2002 6:23 pm (#66 of 353)

Hey everyone, i have a question... We learned in the books that Apparation is strictly regulated by the M.O.M. how then does Hagrid(who might i remind you isnt supposed to do magic at all) Dissapear so quickly in the scene where he takes harry to PLatform 9 3/4? lets face it, HAGRID IS BIG!!! how could he dissapear so quickly unless he apparated, thus i assume Hagrid is a criminal who constantly breaks Magic Law.

Denise P. - Nov 24, 2002 6:35 pm (#67 of 353)

Where did you get the idea that Hagrid can't apparate? He is not allowed to use his wand but nothing says he can't apparate. The only place we know it is impossible to apparate is on Hogwarts grounds.

Carina - Nov 24, 2002 7:06 pm (#68 of 353)

People who don't finish high school can drive, I'm sure Apparating is similar and not contingent on finishing school. You just have to be a certain age (which I'm assuming is 18 here).

Rob - Nov 28, 2002 8:09 pm (#69 of 353)

Don't know if anyone else saw this, but when they go to the zoo, the opening shot shows schoolchildren coming out of the Reptile House...wearing green uniforms! What's the main color of the Slytherin house? Green.

Coincidence? Or did Columbus think that it would be funny?

PyroGrl - Nov 30, 2002 8:42 pm (#70 of 353)

lol, i noticed the green uniforms too. ne1 else besides me want to see the Hufflepuff quidditch match?

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 71 to 80 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:53 pm

paulareed - Dec 1, 2002 6:31 pm (#71 of 353)

Quidditch Trophy

Did anyone else notice a "M. McGonagall" on the Quidditch trophy with Harry's father on it? (The scene where Hermione tells Harry playing Quidditch is in his blood) I think it also gave a date of 1971. This would seem to indicate that Professor McGonagall is actually a contemporary of the Marauders, Serverus, and Lily. I can't imagine JKR would have permitted this if it didn't mean something.

I'm new to this forum and maybe this has been discussed elsewhere, but I didn't see it any place. Does anyone have any additional information?

Carina - Dec 1, 2002 6:39 pm (#72 of 353)

While I thought the sheild with McGonagall's name on it was a clever touch, I don't think JKR had any input on it's design. The sheild also states James was a seeker when he was actually a Chaser.

W J - Dec 1, 2002 6:48 pm (#73 of 353)

paulareed, JKR has stated in interviews that McGonagall is about 70 and that Snape, a contemporary of the marauders, is about 36.

However, we don't know anything about McGonagall's family......

Rob - Dec 1, 2002 8:06 pm (#74 of 353)

I did see the McGonagall on the trohpy, too (DVD's are so much better at stop action than VHS tapes), but since Minerva is so much older, I knew it wasn't her on team and discarded it either as coincidence or a funny way for Columbus to get all talking about it.

Mare - Dec 2, 2002 8:01 am (#75 of 353)

maybe minerva has a daughter, maybe we even already met her but we didn't know because she decided to be called by her husbands name.

just a thought

Marie E. - Dec 3, 2002 7:12 am (#76 of 353)

It could explain why it was McGonagall bought Harry the Nimbus, besides the fact that she wanted Griffindor to win at Quidditch finally. If she has a family member who was skilled in Quidditch she would know which broomstick to buy, right?

Jenna Boyce - Dec 15, 2002 5:10 pm (#77 of 353)

Hi I’m a newbie so I won’t intrude too much on the regulars here. I just have one question/comment that I did not see posted already. If it was, just tell me where it is & I’ll go look for it.

I just finished watching the movie (again) and reading the book (again) & one of the things I noticed is in the book when Harry meets Professor Quirrell for the first time, they shake hands. In the movie when they meet Quirrell looks at Harry’s hand like he’s not sure where it’s been & doesn’t touch him. Any suggestions on why they did that?

Mermista - Dec 15, 2002 9:01 pm (#78 of 353)

Hello and welcome!

I think the reason that scene played out the way it did in the movie was because (for some unknown reason) the scriptwriter/director felt the related events needed to be sped up some. They didn't want to take the extra 30 seconds to have Quirrell explain when and why Voldemort decided to possess him, so they had Quirrell possessed by Voldemort throughout the entire story, which is why he didn't want to touch Harry in the pub. (Which still doesn't make much sense, since Quirrell seems shocked that touching Harry is hazardous to his health at the end of the movie.)

Moviemakers... Can't live with 'em, can't cook 'em in a wok.

Jenna Boyce - Dec 16, 2002 9:20 am (#79 of 353)

Well... that makes sense I suppose. Thanks

Justin Hirsch - Dec 30, 2002 1:58 pm (#80 of 353)

Hey all. I noticed that during the quidditch match, Hermione says "incarnem inflamere." I though the fire spell was "incendio." Did I miss something in the book? Inflamaro isn't listed on this site either.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 81 to 90 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Cheiri - Jan 2, 2003 10:02 am (#81 of 353)

I noticed the same thing which is a not a regular coincidence I played it over and over and I think it said she was a chaser. of course her name could be there just because she is head of the house. but I don't think so. and plus there are rumors going around that James was in slytherin but that is entirely a rumor because there is absolutely no evidence that he was although I'm almost positivley sure he was a gryffindor according to JKR's interview. But then again it says James plays seeker on the trophee which is inaccurate becuase JKR said he was a chaser. so who knows maybe they were just careless. but to further back up the fact that Minerva went to school with them is the fact that the old crew dumbledore mentioned in book 4 all seem to be James and Lilies age(except Arabella Figg) and Minerva seems to be in on everything Dumbledore says and does. She also was NOT a teacher at school with Dumbledore from the beginning which most likely means she is younger than dumbledore. I personally think she was a like 5th year to James 1 year and that he made the team in second year with Minerva being in 6 or 7 year! anyway just some stuff that ive been pondering for awhile and it felt really good to get it out in the open! Cheiri~

Cheiri - Jan 2, 2003 10:05 am (#82 of 353)

in the video game incendio was used to hurt plants...although plants are hurt by fire...curious....hmmmmm that was a mistake i mustve miss. nice eye you must be very observant! Cheiri

Cheiri - Jan 2, 2003 10:16 am (#83 of 353)

Imust say that im shocked someone doesnt like Rons casting the only thin g wrong with him is hes not tall enouph and lets face it you cant be perfect. His facial expressions and his overall atmospherewas perfect for him and in the movie hes always stuffing his face which i like becuase when your family is poor you dont get perfect feasts every night. hes exactly what i imagined ron weasley to be like! of course everyone is entiteled to their own opinions. Im very curious if i missed something so please tell me what you guys dont like about him!~

Cheiri

Cheiri - Jan 2, 2003 10:29 am (#84 of 353)

I agree with you! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THE MOVIE(except for some disappointments but i think i was imagining stuff a little to good for them able to do) my best friend hated harry potter could not stand it and when ever i talked about it in front of her or tried to get her to see the first movie she completely blowed me off. one day i finally asked her if she ever gave it a chance she said no so i literally tied her down to watch the movie she has now read all the hp books made her own t shirt just to watch the movie in and has a whole shelf in her room dedicated to hp she is now an even bigger potter fanatic than i am now which is extremially sad. so the movie did great things for people who hated it just to be different and it proved most of them wrong and so the movie cant be that bad!?!? Can it?!?!?! just something to ponder on a rainy day! Cheiri~

W J - Jan 2, 2003 7:10 pm (#85 of 353)
Edited by Jan 2, 2003 7:10 pm

Cheiri, In an interview, JKR said Dumbledore was about 150 years old, Minerva McGonagall was 70 years old, and the Potters, Sirius, Remus, and Snape were all in their late 30s. So Minerva did not go to school with them. It could just be that McGonagall was Head of Gryffindor House when James won the trophy, like you said, but we don't know if she has children yet and that is also a possibility....

Ebba Lupin - Jan 12, 2003 11:18 am (#86 of 353)

I am so sorry to see that everyone apparently HATED the movie. Am on this one (as opposed to the Chamber of Secrets one) because I actually loved the first movie. The geekier I get about Potter, the more faults I find, but overall I still love it. The second film was a huge disappointment to me but I must repeat, loved the first one. Of course there are in accuracies, of course things are left out, yes, some things were changed, but look at how the film industry usually butchers book. (Dare I say it? The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien, I'm so, so sorry this had to happen.) When the PS came out most people I talked to complained that it followed the book so faithfully that it got boring. That made me angry, because why would you WANT them to change things? I agree, the troll was awful. Overall I didn't mind the acting (made me cringe in the CoS though) and I thought the scenery was stunning. Just had to say this, because I didn't expect to find everyone so hateful about it. As for Dumbledore, well someone else will interpret him now and will hopefully make the part his own, not try to just duplicate Harris. Am very very scared about the third film, because it was my favorite book, and as I already stated, I didn't like the second film at all.

Denise P. - Jan 12, 2003 11:22 am (#87 of 353)

I didn't hate the movies at all, I think they did a fairly good job adapting the books. The movies have to draw in an audience that may not have read or heard of the books so there will be major parts left or changed. I also don't really look at the movies and books are being related much beyond the title. If you can suspend your disbelief and view the movies without the knowledge of the books, they are pretty good movies.

Marie E. - Jan 12, 2003 2:22 pm (#88 of 353)

I agree with Denise, you have to view them separately if you want to get any enjoyment out of either. I like the movie and I think they did as well as they could with the material from the book. The troll...well...let's just leave it at that.

Sly Girl - Jan 12, 2003 7:18 pm (#89 of 353)

I agree with Denise and Marie- the movies are just what you'd expect them to be- a snippet of the world that we love. Of course they can't match the book in intensity or wonder. I sort of get a kick out of them, actually. I mean, unless they stray completely off the path, I'll be there to see each and every one on the first night, as long as they continue to make them.

rettoP yrraH - Jan 13, 2003 6:47 pm (#90 of 353)

One word.....ERROL!!

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 91 to 100 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 pm

Cathy Ekaitis - Feb 10, 2003 9:31 pm (#91 of 353)

I just love seeing the first film!! I was so very curious about Harry Potter, so I purchased the film on DVD and saw it. I was hooked! My husband and I have also seen the second film too. Now, after reading all four books in one week -- I'm ready for more!!!! I can't wait until the fifth book comes out.

I was pleased to see one of my favorite British actors, Alan Rickman as Professor Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films! His character is delightfully sinister! Also glad to see Robbie Coltrane as Rubeus Hagrid. But, I was also very sad knowing that Richard Harris is no longer with us.

Ms. Rowling has got such a wild imagination and was so very happy to see a production that embraced her wonderful characters as well as they did. I realize that the films will veer off from her original writings now and then, but most films usually do when based on popular books. I'm very happy to be along for the ride as the rest of my fellow Harry Potter fanatics.

The kids who have been chosen to portray Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco, Fred, George, Ginny, Neville and the rest -- Wonderful!

rettoP yrraH - Feb 11, 2003 6:18 pm (#92 of 353)
Edited by Feb 11, 2003 6:20 pm

I beg to differ. Harry: short, skinny, wild, hair, dark green eye's glasses that get laughed at. Ron refers to him a 'midget in glasses' in GoF.

Ron: Tall (alot taller then harry), Gangly, red hair (they got that right), large feet and hands. Ps/s 'Over there next to the tall kid (ron)'

I think they got them wrong

Also Dumbledore is supposed to have a Deep Booming voice.

Just my two knuts

Sly Girl - Feb 18, 2003 7:57 pm (#93 of 353)

Forgive me if this is old hat, I just found out this existed, but there is a "special" special edition of the dvd that comes with a Fluffy bobble head. lol I laughed at first but then thought, dang! I want that! I just couldn't justify buying another copy of the movie though... anyone need one? Wink

Caitlin McCoy - Feb 18, 2003 8:10 pm (#94 of 353)

Old hat, nothing! How cool! (But I need to kidnap my vcr/dvd player back from TriShaunda first.)

rettoP yrraH - Feb 18, 2003 9:17 pm (#95 of 353)

I never got the DvD yet you can buy it for me....

Carina - Feb 18, 2003 9:29 pm (#96 of 353)

I vowed not to buy them on DVD until I could get all seven in a collector's pack. Gee, I hope I'm not too old to enjoy them by then!

Caitlin McCoy - Feb 18, 2003 9:34 pm (#97 of 353)
Edited by Feb 18, 2003 9:35 pm

Oi, Carina! You're missing out on so much!

Lord, I sound like you've taken a vow of chastity or something. Not that I could argue the cons on that subject...no personal experience and all.

Carina - Feb 18, 2003 9:44 pm (#98 of 353)

Naw, see my dad has the DVD so I just borrow his:)

Denise P. - Mar 2, 2003 2:41 pm (#99 of 353)

WJ, I can't find the thread where you were asking for the source of JKR writing the flashback scene of Lily and James being killed. This is what I found:

Did you notice the extra Potter film scene?

W J - Mar 2, 2003 2:45 pm (#100 of 353)

Thank you, Denise P. This has brought up a new question. The scene was written by JKR but Chris Columbus chopped it up and shortened it. Does it still have the meaning/hints that JKR intended or is it now flawed?

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 101 to 110 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Denise S. - Mar 2, 2003 4:51 pm (#101 of 353)

Leave it to Hollywood to mess it up for us! :-)

Sly Girl - Mar 2, 2003 7:13 pm (#102 of 353)

Yeah, I remember hearing that Chris wanted to put the scene that JKR wrote at the begginning of the film, but that he switched it to Dumbledore dropping little Harry off on the Dursley's doorstep because it fit the narrative and wasn't such a dark way to start a movie.

Yeah. As if total abandonment of a baby on a doorstep isn't dark. Wink

So.. I would assume the scene lost something. ;( Although why they didn't include the whole thing on the extra scenes of the dvd seems stupid, unless Columbus didn't even shoot it.

Penny Lane. - Mar 3, 2003 6:33 am (#103 of 353)

I really and truely hope that we will eventually get a directors cut. The DVD for SS - at least here in the US, was simply awful. Im still mad that I only got 7 extra scenes that i had to spend 45 minutes to figure out how to get to them. And the CD-ROM part - I can't even use it because I have a mac. If CoS is exactly the same deal, I might just go back to buying the $9 VHS previously viewed version from Blockbuster.

Toomin - Apr 19, 2003 5:43 am (#104 of 353)

After the scene where they went into the forbiden forest Hermione says Voldermort insted of you-know who. I think that the scene where hermiones in the dungon with the potions is way more important than the scene when Harry lets hedwig go

E Curran - May 10, 2003 5:31 pm (#105 of 353)

I just wanted to agree with you about Harry's eyes (not green!). I think the neglect of that detail will turn around and bite them in the ***. I wonder why JKR didn't make more of a big deal about it when she was consulted. I liked the movie, but HP w/ blue eyes really bothered me.

koolnkinky - May 12, 2003 11:48 am (#106 of 353)
Edited by May 12, 2003 12:49 pm

I hate to say this but I didn't notice he had blue eyes!

*Blushes* I feel really unobservant now!

Oh well, at least its another excuse to go watch the movies! If you'll excuse me...

TGF - Sep 17, 2003 9:23 pm (#107 of 353)

Kip... Denise... can you please fix the spelling of 'Sorceror' in this thread? Call me obsessive/compulsive, but it drives me crazy everytime I scroll past this thread...

Liz Mann - Oct 17, 2003 7:32 am (#108 of 353)

Edited Oct 17, 2003 8:32 am
I'm watching the movie at the moment and I noticed a mistake during the Quiddich scene. When Harry and Terrence Higgs are chasing the Snitch and trying to nudge each other out of the way, they fly past the castle in the background twice.

The Great Abbycadabra - Oct 17, 2003 8:13 pm (#109 of 353)

heehee, that reminds me of Scooby Doo cartoons where Scooby and Shaggy run past the same door, table, and vase while being chased by the ghost/zombie/vampire/evil executive.

Liz Mann - Oct 18, 2003 1:59 pm (#110 of 353)

Yeah! They do that in all the old cartoons! I've seen it in The Flintstones as well! Fred slipped on a toy train, went zooming along on it and passed the same piece of furnature several times (also the room seemed to have got a lot bigger because he was sliding on it for about five seconds when it should have taken two.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 111 to 120 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:00 pm

Liz Mann - Oct 25, 2003 12:10 pm (#111 of 353)

When Harry, Ron and Hermione are on the moving staircases, is it just me or does it look like there are a couple of ghosts standing on the balcony behind them?

Sly Girl - Oct 25, 2003 12:14 pm (#112 of 353)

It could be just the lighting in the camera or this shot was taken directly from the film and the special effects were already in place and there were 'ghosts' there in that particular scene.

Liz Mann - Oct 25, 2003 12:15 pm (#113 of 353)

Edited Oct 25, 2003 1:16 pm
I was talking about in the film. I just put a link to the pic so that people don't have to go through their video or DVD looking for that bit to check.

In that pic, though, it also looks like the stairs down from that passageway are barred off.

A-is-for-Amy - Nov 1, 2003 12:41 pm (#114 of 353)

Okay, I've skimmed through this entire thread, and haven't seen this discussed. Hagrid comes to get Harry on his birthday and takes him to London to get his school supplies. They are having dinner later and Hagrid tells hims about how his parents died, then they show them, seeminglly the next day, at the train station so Harry can leave for Hogwarts. Ummmm... What happened to the month in between his birthday and September first? Did he spend all of August with Hagrid?

Liz Mann - Nov 1, 2003 12:54 pm (#115 of 353)

Good point, Amy. I don't think I thought of that. Strange. I mean, I know they needed to cut down on time but they could have shown Harry turning up at King's Cross with the Dursleys like in the book. I don't think he did spend all of August with Hagrid because he still had the Stone with him. Remember he said, "Sorry, Harry, I'm going to have to leave you. Dumbledore'll be wanting his, er... well, he'll be wanting to see me."

Relating to my last post, I saw the film on one of the movie channels the other day (and the picture is much better on there than on the video) and I realised what it was that was in the background. It wasn't a couple of ghosts at all. It was light coming in through two paned windows, shining on the balcony behind them.

Madam Pince - Nov 3, 2003 5:15 pm (#116 of 353)

I noticed that too, Amy. I just figured they're taking some liberties with the film version. They're probably not going to bother with making sure they adhere to any time-lines. Which probably means that it's not really all that important exactly when Harry's birthday is, or else JKR would've made them clarify it.

They sort of do the same thing in the 2nd movie -- Ron says "Oh by the way, Happy Birthday, Harry!" so we get the impression that it's on or somewhere near Harry's birthday, and then what seems to be the next day shows them going to Diagon Alley to get their books and then the same day or maybe the next they're hopping on the Express to Hogwarts. They cut out that whole period of time Harry was at The Burrow.

I think it's all just "directors' license." We, of course, know they are wrong.

Madam Poppy - Nov 5, 2003 8:43 pm (#117 of 353)

If you look carefully, everyone is cleaned up and wearing different clothes when they are running for the Hogwarts Express in Movie 2. This was to show a passage of time.

Madam Pince - Nov 5, 2003 10:29 pm (#118 of 353)

Yes I did notice that Madam Poppy. I think it was probably the next day (at least) that they were going to Hogwarts. It would be a big day, after all, to go shopping for all the school things for 6 kids and then get all packed and off on a train by 11:00. But anyway, it didn't seem like it had been the length of time it should've been according to the book. I kind of think I would've enjoyed seeing the de-gnoming.

I tried to look and see if their clothes were different from when they were eating breakfast to when they were using the floo powder to leave the Burrow, but because they all had their cloaks on, it was kinda hard to tell. So who knows?

Liz Mann - Nov 6, 2003 4:39 pm (#119 of 353)

I don't think it was the next day. It could have been weeks later. There's nothing to imply it was the next day. With movie one it did imply that because Harry was still with Hagrid who still had the Stone.

Carina - Nov 9, 2003 10:16 pm (#120 of 353)

Okay, you want to talk about noticing things?

Has anyone else ever noticed that Neville is the ONLY one to follow Madame Hooch's directions during the flying lesson?

Yeah, yeah... the teacher in me caught that one...

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 121 to 130 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Liz Mann - Nov 10, 2003 11:35 am (#121 of 353)

Yeah. Madam Hooch said to take off on her whistle, she blew the whistle, Neville took off and they started asking hin what he was doing. And Hermione was saying, "Neville, what are you doing? We're not supposed to take off yet!"

Caput Draconis - Nov 15, 2003 4:02 am (#122 of 353)
Edited by Nov 15, 2003 4:03 am

Random thing that annoys me: Quirrel doesn't shake Harry's hand in TLC. Fair enough, we've established that's a movie liberty that aims to cast a little doubt about Quirrel, or just make him look even more fidgety and wierd. But why have Quirrel so shocked at the end, when he reacts to Harry's touch? ('what magic is this?') He's been set up to know something happens...As I say, random. I do enjoy the final showdown quite a lot, the guy playing Quirrel did 'oh, turns out I'm evil' pretty well.

Night.

Liz Mann - Nov 15, 2003 2:54 pm (#123 of 353)

In The Leaky Cauldron I got the impression that Quirrell didn't shake Harry's hand because he's not the kind of person who likes physical contact (after his experiences with vampires and hags and what not) or because Harry is so famous. But that could just be me.

Sly Girl - Nov 15, 2003 4:34 pm (#124 of 353)

Well, they couldn't have Quirrel shake Harry's hand in the LC because he already had the turban on. Since they changed that for the movie, they had to change the scene where they meet for the first time as well. (You know, the lingering protection residing in Harry's skin etc.) If Quirrel can't touch him at the end with the turban on, he sure shouldn't have been able to touch him at the beginning with the turban on. If they had messed it up and had him shake his hand and then later have him not be able to touch him, some of us might have been.. ah... upset.

Carina - Nov 15, 2003 5:27 pm (#125 of 353)

Looks like it's a no-win situation for the movie makers... some of us are upset anyway

Liz Mann - Nov 16, 2003 1:40 pm (#126 of 353)

They could have had Harry not hold out his hand, though.

Sly Girl - Nov 16, 2003 7:07 pm (#127 of 353)

But Harry is a very polite boy.

Liz Mann - Nov 17, 2003 9:02 am (#128 of 353)

He was back then, yes.

Liz Mann - Dec 27, 2003 1:01 pm (#129 of 353)

I have just got the DVD of PS/SS this Christmas, and I wanted to ask something - are the deleated scenes on the extra credit thing? Cos if so I think I need a DVD drive on my computer.

Carina - Dec 27, 2003 1:09 pm (#130 of 353)

It's this HUGE easter egg hunt to get to them. All I know is you start in Diagon Alley and find a key.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 131 to 140 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Liz Mann - Dec 27, 2003 1:18 pm (#131 of 353)

So you do play it on your DVD and not your computer?

Carina - Dec 27, 2003 1:47 pm (#132 of 353)

yeah, you can get to it through your DVD player.

Try this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They give you directions as to how to find them... Good luck!

Liz Mann - Dec 27, 2003 2:16 pm (#133 of 353)

Thanks, Carina! I've just watched them. The video only had two! Really not fair! Anyway, I wish they'd kept them in! In fact I wish they'd kept the ones on the CoS DVD in, too. It wouldn't have taken up much more room!

Sly Girl - Dec 27, 2003 3:47 pm (#134 of 353)

Yes, isn't the longer, first time in Potions SNAPE scene so much better than the movie version?! It kills me everytime I watch it. Alan Rickman just delivers his lines so well in that scene. I love it when he tells Hermione 'Put your hand down, you silly girl'. I get goosebumps on my goosebumps.

Liz Mann - Dec 28, 2003 12:53 pm (#135 of 353)

It seems like the bits that best show Harry's book personality were cut. Would it have hurt to keep in his, "Clearly Hermione knows. Seems a pity not to ask her!" line?

Matt Allair - Dec 28, 2003 6:12 pm (#136 of 353)

I have to agree with that, the extended version of the Snape classroom scene was so much better than the theatrical cut.

Madam Poppy - Dec 29, 2003 2:13 am (#137 of 353)
Edited by Dec 29, 2003 2:15 am

Here is a link to a National Public Radio interview. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] They discuss the Celesta instrument used in the opening music we know so well from the Harry Potter movies. This special instrument was invented in 1896! To learn more, look down the page and listen to the interview titled.... "Look for The Celesta: The Sound of the Sugar Plum Fairy".

Liz Mann - Dec 29, 2003 10:01 am (#138 of 353)

The sound of the Sugar Plum Fairy? That music was played in Fantasia, wasn't it? I think I remember it!

Sly Girl - Dec 29, 2003 10:27 am (#139 of 353)

"The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" is from Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker Suite which is a Christmas favorite, at least in the states. And yes, it was in Fantasia.

Now that you mention it, it is the same sound as the opening of HP. D'oh. Silly me, never noticing.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 29, 2003 5:07 pm (#140 of 353)

That was really interesting, Poppy. Thanks for pointing that out. I've seen the celesta in concert before (playing "Hedwig's Theme" as a matter of fact ). It was interesting to hear all of those different songs with it.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 141 to 150 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:03 pm

Padfoot - Apr 14, 2004 8:49 am (#141 of 353)

I was watching the SS dvd last night. I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere, but I found it really weird that Harry's eyes are bright blue. For some reason that bothered me. I guess I had not noticed this when I saw the movie in the theater. I haven't watched the movies that much. Maybe twice each. Other than that, I thought it is a good interpretation of the book.

Since it has been brought up elsewhere, I noticed the owl swooping in on Private Drive at the beginning. Also noticed the appearance of DD with no Apparating loud crack sound. I hadn't noticed this before, but I had to check it out as several people have brought it to my attention on other threads.

The disc two, the extras were interesting. Very creative, however that fish eye lense used during the exploring the school was unsettling. It was hard on my eyes. I suppose it was there to make us feel we are magically looking at the school. I would have preferred it to be easier to see. Oh well, better than nothing I suppose. The interview was pretty good too. I think I enjoyed that the most of all the extras.

haymoni - Apr 14, 2004 9:05 am (#142 of 353)

I was so glad that it had been posted how to get to the extra scenes. I would still be floating around Diagon Alley.

Padfoot - Apr 14, 2004 9:07 am (#143 of 353)

Haymoni, do you remember where that is posted? I never found the extra senes? I thought the extra senes are on the CoS dvd.

Liz Mann - Apr 14, 2004 9:46 am (#144 of 353)

Edited Apr 14, 2004 10:48 am
Also noticed the appearance of DD with no Apparating loud crack sound.

That is actually not an error on the film maker's part.

A man appeared on the corner the cat had been watching, appeared so suddenly and silently you'd have thought he'd just popped out of the ground. - PS/SS Chapter 1.

An error they did make, however, is having Harry and Hagrid walk past Quality Quiddich Supplies twice when entering Diagon Alley.

haymoni - Apr 14, 2004 10:39 am (#145 of 353)

Padfoot - look at Carina's post #132 in this thread.

Tomoé - Apr 14, 2004 12:25 pm (#146 of 353)

Oh! thanks Carina!

Padfoot - Apr 14, 2004 12:48 pm (#147 of 353)

Thanks haymoni and Carina. I printed out the instructions so I can try it tonight. I agree with that reviewer, its a very complicated and at times annoying disc 2. Oh well, at least now I have the instructions, so I should be able to see those deleted scenes finally.

Prefect Marcus - Apr 14, 2004 12:56 pm (#148 of 353)

Yes, they got a tremendous amount of flak for hiding the deleted scenes like that. You will note that no DVD since has tried to make a game of it -- at least not on purpose! :-)

haymoni - Apr 16, 2004 9:57 am (#149 of 353)

Who is the kid pearing in at the Nimbus 2000 that says it's the fastest model yet? Is he given a credit? What student is he?

In the extra scenes on the DVD, he laughs quite heartily when Neville falls over.

Liz Mann - Apr 16, 2004 1:19 pm (#150 of 353)

He's listed as 'Diagon Alley Boy' and his name is Ben Borowiecki.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 151 to 160 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:34 pm

Fawkes Forever - Apr 20, 2004 1:10 am (#151 of 353)

Edited Apr 20, 2004 2:12 am
I'm so jealous. I was just over on Muggle Net, reading up on the ABC release of the Philosophers Stone Movie with 20 minutes of extra footage. (Quote taken from linked article on Muggle Net)

...As a complement to about 10 minutes of material that is already on the DVD, there are new scenes not included in the original theatrical version and a 10-minute special on the making of the third installment Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, which opens in theaters June 4.
“Director Chris Columbus went back and added 20 minutes of footage to the actual [2001 Sorcerer’s] movie,” said the spokesperson. “It will be the first time the movie has been seen this way.”

Awww, no fair, I really want to see it now! I wonder will they release it over here with the added extras?

Just to torture myself further, I then watched the ad for the ABC premiere... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I'm still in shock as to how deep Ruperts voice has got.... very scarey!

coolbeans3131 - Apr 20, 2004 6:01 am (#152 of 353)

This article [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] says the SS/PS and CoS boxed set is going to come out on May 4th. If it was after the 9th, I might think the extra scenes would be on those. Maybe the date's wrong?

I'm sure the extra scenes will end up on the web anyways. Don't worry!

So, what extra scenes do you think we'll see? What scenes do you want to see? (I think Liz should use this as one of her vote questions)

mollis - Apr 20, 2004 7:48 am (#153 of 353)

I was just popping back on here to find out what they were adding that would give us 20 minutes more. Surely the deleted scenes included in the DVD don't add up to 20 minutes. This will be fun! I can't wait to see it!

Liz Mann - Apr 20, 2004 11:30 am (#154 of 353)

Edited Apr 20, 2004 12:34 pm
coolbeans - that's a good idea!

I really hope the extra footage and the preview will be on the internet because I don't have ABC!! I've just watched the advert for it and I really want to see it!!! Waaaaaaaa!

Padfoot - Apr 20, 2004 12:39 pm (#155 of 353)

Coolbeans3131, that is so cool! The boxed set is coming out on my birthday! And I do not own the dvds yet. Coincidence, I think not. If nothing else, it's a sign!

coolbeans3131 - Apr 20, 2004 12:44 pm (#156 of 353)

It's a sign of what, Padfoot? lol There has to be some new stuff on them, or why would anybody buy them? Hopefully the deleted scenes will be easier to view than on the first DVD. I might have to get them too!

DJ Evans - Apr 20, 2004 4:39 pm (#157 of 353)

After seeing the post the other day for the link on how to "find" the deleted scenes from SS--of course I just had to pull out my DVD and watch them. It didn't seem to me like it was 20 minutes worth of footage either, Mollis!!! And after viewing them all, I couldn't figure out just why they were left out of the original movie anyway.

But if it turns out that the new DVD set will have extra new footage, well let's just say that I won't be a happy camper!!! It's not right to do that by ANY means. I mean we're all going to want the new set for the "new" stuff--what are we going to do with our old DVD's?

Later days, Deb

The giant squid - Apr 20, 2004 10:08 pm (#158 of 353)

what are we going to do with our old DVD's? Give them to people as part of the ongoing Potty Conversion Project? Quicker to get through than the books...kind of a taste of the good stuff. Wink Hey, that's how I got hooked!

--Mike

DJ Evans - Apr 21, 2004 10:05 am (#159 of 353)

Same here Mike--I watched the DVD's first and then read the books!!

Later days, Deb

haymoni - Apr 23, 2004 12:07 pm (#160 of 353)

Padfoot - did you find the additional scenes?

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 161 to 170 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Padfoot - Apr 23, 2004 12:11 pm (#161 of 353)

Yes thanks, I did find those hidden additional scenes. I am hoping that by dvd 3, they will make the additional scenes easier to access. If I didn't have that "how to" list, I would never have found them. I was loosing interest in the format of the extras dvd. They scenes however were fun to watch. I'm glad you guys said something or I might have missed out.

haymoni - Apr 23, 2004 5:01 pm (#162 of 353)

I liked the scene after the troll bashing - "What are friends for?"

Liz Mann - Apr 24, 2004 5:25 am (#163 of 353)

Troll bashing! Lol!

Zoe's dad - May 7, 2004 9:31 pm (#164 of 353)

Did anyone catch that ABC is showing PS/SS this Sunday? it is suppossed to have never before seen scenes, and a trailer for Azkaban.

The giant squid - May 8, 2004 2:21 pm (#165 of 353)

Scroll back a couple of pages and you'll see we did indeed catch that. I have to work Sad but at least my VCR still works! Smile

--Mike

Padfoot - May 10, 2004 9:30 am (#166 of 353)

I had a lot of fun watching it. Was a little dissapointed there wasn't more about PoA though. Oh well, was still worth watching. It's funny to see and hear how HRH have changed since movie 1 to movie 3.

haymoni - May 10, 2004 10:20 am (#167 of 353)

I loved seeing the deleted scenes placed back into the film. I didn't think that the commercials were too bad. They seemed to come at appropriate breaks except at the end.

Tomoé - May 10, 2004 11:08 am (#168 of 353)

Any new extra scene or just the old ones we saw on the DVD?

Padfoot - May 10, 2004 11:18 am (#169 of 353)

Same ones as on the original dvd Tomoé.

popkin - May 10, 2004 8:02 pm (#170 of 353)

I don't know why they took those scenes out in the first place. Is an extra twenty minutes enough to keep people from going to see a movie? It flows so much better with the deleted footage in place. I would think everyone would prefer the complete movie. Then again, I would think everyone would prefer the wide screen format - but I am apparently in the minority there.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 171 to 180 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:36 pm

mischa fan - May 10, 2004 8:20 pm (#171 of 353)

Popkin, simple formula, shorter movies=more times they can show it in one day=more money.

The giant squid - May 10, 2004 10:23 pm (#172 of 353)

Yes, but 20 mins. on a movie that long already doesn't make enough of a difference to add another show. Trust me, I spent half an hour this afternoon trying to tweak our show schedule to fit in one more show of Van Helsing and just couldn't do it...

If we were talking about a 1:30 movie vs. 1:50 then maybe; 2:20 vs. 2:40 is still long.

Then again, we are talking about studio execs here, and their logic (and math) skills are rather suspect to begin with. Wink

--Mike

Padfoot - May 11, 2004 8:57 am (#173 of 353)

Popkin, you are not alone. I also prefer the wide screen version of movies. I wish they had kept those 20 minutes in the movie. I wonder how much of PoA will end up as extra scenes.

Liz Mann - May 15, 2004 5:32 am (#174 of 353)

Edited May 15, 2004 6:36 am
I got the signed script of this movie that I bought on ebay today, and there are lots of bits in the original script that are not in the movie, including lines of dialogue that would have made Harry's personality a bit more like it was in the book. For example, remember the bit where Dudley gets his birthday presents? This is how the scene played out in the script.

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

Harry enters, finds his UNCLE VERNON reading the Daily Mail behind a monstrous PILE OF PRESENTS.

UNCLE VERNON: Bring my coffee, boy.

HARRY: Yes, Uncle Vernon.

Dudley enters, stares at the presents.

DUDLEY: How many are there?

UNCLE VERNON: Thirty-six. Counted them myself.

DUDLEY: Thirty-six. But last year... last year I had thirty-seven...

UNCLE VERNON: Well now, son, some of these are quite a bit bigger than last year --

DUDLEY: I DON'T CARE HOW BIG THEY ARE!

AUNT PETUNIA: Now, now, here's what we'll do. Today, when we're out, we'll buy you two new presents. How's that, popkin?

DUDLEY: So then I'll have... I'll have...

HARRY: Thirty-eight, popkin.

Aunt Petunia cuffs Harry on the head on her way to the RINGING TELEPHONE.

AUNT PETUNIA: You just mind that bacon.

HARRY: Yes, Aunt Petunia.

As Dudley tears open a BOX of LEAD SOLDIERS, Uncle Vernon ruffles his hair.

UNCLE VERNON: Want your money's worth, don't you, tiger? Well, look there. Aunt Marge's sent you the Fourth Battalion.

Dudley twists the head off one.

DUDLEY: This one's lost it's head.

UNCLE VERNON: Well now, son. Remember, we talked about this. They're not meant to move...

As Dudley tosses the damaged soldier aside, Harry studies it closely, then... Aunt Petunia HANGS UP the phone, turns.

AUNT PETUNIA: Bad news. Mrs Figg's broken her leg. She can't take him.

UNCLE VERNON: We could phone Yyvonne.

AUNT PETUNIA: Don't be silly. She hates the boy.

HARRY: You could just leave me here.

UNCLE VERNON: And come back and find the house in ruins?

DUDLEY: I... Don't... Want... Him... To... Come! He... always... spoils... everything!

AUNT PETUNIA: Now, precious, don't cry. He won't spoil anything. What if Mummy buys you three more presents.

DUDLEY: Three?

AUNT PETUNIA: As many as you want, sweetums.

As Aunt Petunia cuddles him, Dudley shoots Harry a nasty grin through the gap in his mother's arms.

Later in the script, after the Dursleys and Harry get home from the zoo it says:

The door slams. Harry sits quietly. Them, from his pocket, he removes the damaged soldier Dudley had discarded earlier. Reaching up, he places it on a dark shelf, next to a half a dozen others.

haymoni - May 15, 2004 7:39 am (#175 of 353)

I wondered where he got the soldiers he was playing with when Vernon used the drill (s/b fruitcake, but actually more logical since he works for a drill company) to close the mail slot.

haymoni - May 15, 2004 2:55 pm (#176 of 353)

Sorry to post again but my local TV listings show that SS/PS is on again tonight on ABC - I know where I'll be tonight!

Dr Filibuster - May 15, 2004 3:23 pm (#177 of 353)

Wow Liz!!!

Thanks for putting that up. I suppose that the film would have been about 6 hours long if they had put so much detail into every scene. Do you think they got round to filming it?

Who signed the script by the way?

Liz Mann - May 15, 2004 3:40 pm (#178 of 353)

J.K, Dan, Rupert, Emma, Alan Rickman and three others that I'm not sure about. One of them might be Richard Harris.

I suppose that the film would have been about 6 hours long if they had put so much detail into every scene.

Actually, do you know what really bugs me?? There isn't huge amounts in the script that wasn't in the book. There was quite a bit but I'd say overall it would have added on perhaps half an hour, tops. Why they couldn't keep at least some of it in, I have NO idea!

Dr Filibuster - May 15, 2004 3:54 pm (#179 of 353)

Gasp!!! All those autographs! Who would sell such a thing?

Are you allowed to scan parts of the script and put it on your web site?

haymoni - May 15, 2004 4:24 pm (#180 of 353)

Curses - no extra scene with Harry & Hagrid on the subway!

I'm disappointed.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 181 to 190 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Liz Mann - May 15, 2004 4:31 pm (#181 of 353)

Dr Fillibuster, this is the picture of it that was on ebay.

Actually, looking at that picture has made me worried. I was under the impression that the person was selling one of these, and that this is a photograph of it. But first of all, all the signatures on mine are in different positions on the page AND there is a signature missing from mine! Should I be worried?

Chris. - May 15, 2004 4:38 pm (#182 of 353)

Edited May 15, 2004 5:42 pm
Errrr.... YES! I would be but maybe the seller has got a hold of a few scripts and they have signatures in different places.

but if I even had a PS/SS script, I wouldn't be worried.

haymoni - May 15, 2004 4:41 pm (#183 of 353)

Liz - if it's real - great for you!!!

And if it's not - so what??? It's still real for you. And we've all had great fun looking at it.

If you are out some money, that's OK. They say on all those collectible shows, "buy what you love" - who cares if it is valuable or real? It means something special to you (and the rest of us) and that's all that counts.

Enjoy!!

Liz Mann - May 16, 2004 5:40 am (#184 of 353)

Edited May 16, 2004 6:40 am

I think it probably is real. It has a certificate of authenticity with it. Like Prongs said, the seller probably has more than one script and perhaps has sold them in different places. But he still gave me the wrong one, because I was supposed to get one with nine signatures, and it only has eight. Oh well.

Denise P. - May 16, 2004 3:30 pm (#185 of 353)

Edited May 16, 2004 4:30 pm
I would note that in any feedback you leave. "Item description showed nine signatures, actual script I recieved only had 8" so that other buyers are aware.

I saw ABC re-run PS the other night, they all looks so little!

Marie E. - May 16, 2004 9:05 pm (#186 of 353)

I made the same comment, Denise. They all look like babies compared to the "hulking" teens they are today.

The giant squid - May 17, 2004 12:29 am (#187 of 353)

I laughed at how grown-up and un-Hermione-ish Emma's hair looked in the sneak peek stuff. It's almost as though she's trying not to look like her character off-set! Surprised

Padfoot - May 17, 2004 10:35 am (#188 of 353)

Thanks Liz for the info on the script. Too bad they didn't follow the script! Still, interesting to read. And as far as that signed copy of the script goes, you have a certificate of authenticity and that's probably the best you're going to do to make sure it's real. That's a good suggestion to make that comment where you bought it about how you only have 8 signatures. But hey, if you don't want it any more, I'll take it off your hands. *evil grin*

Liz Mann - May 17, 2004 11:03 am (#189 of 353)

No, no, that's all right, Padfoot.

Liz Mann - May 21, 2004 2:57 pm (#190 of 353)

I found a fan-made trailer for the first movie. At times it's cool but at other's it's a little... weird. Check it out: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 191 to 200 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:38 pm

haymoni - May 21, 2004 3:11 pm (#191 of 353)

So that's how you bide your time!!!

SarcasticGinny - May 21, 2004 8:10 pm (#192 of 353)

What gives with the repeated shots of "Harry" falling down in some cemetary?

Liz Mann - May 22, 2004 11:04 am (#193 of 353)

Some of the scenes I didn't even recognise - like the cemetary one. Was that supposed to be GoF? Because I was under the impression that the trailer was for PS/SS. Still, not bad for a fan-made thing.

Loopy Lupin - Jun 1, 2004 5:53 pm (#194 of 353)

Not too bad for a fan made thing indeed. I wonder why in things like that (and in really, really independently made movies) the sound is never right. Sound must be hard to do.

The giant squid - Jun 1, 2004 11:25 pm (#195 of 353)

Loopy, most of the sound you hear in finished movies is added afterward (look for the term ADR in the credits). When you're filming, there's all kinds of background noise, prompts from the director, level problems depending on which way the actor is facing... The low-end indy films don't have the luxury of studio time for re-recording dialogue, so the sound seems a bit off.

This has been your Semi-informed Movie Trivia Moment, courtesy of the Giant Squid. Very Happy

--Mike

Loopy Lupin - Jun 8, 2004 10:44 am (#196 of 353)

Edited Jun 8, 2004 11:47 am
Ahhh. I sort of knew that now that I think about it. I guess that's why sound has its own Oscar category.

Wasn't there a John Travolta movie (some kind of murder mystery/thriller) where he plays a sound man who records a murder or something.

This may be a stupid question, but when you say "most of the sound," that doesn't include all dialogue does it? I know that sometimes they have to go back and re-do some dialogue, but mostly its what is recorded while the movie is made, no? Otherwise, it would seem really impossible to get movies in sync.

Liz Mann - Jun 8, 2004 12:55 pm (#197 of 353)

Every time I see this movie I can't get over how young the kids look!!

The giant squid - Jun 8, 2004 11:16 pm (#198 of 353)

Loopy, I'll answer this one question, but since we've strayed far from the topic at hand, if you have any other queries about the intricacies of moviemaking, feel free to e-mail me. I've unlocked my e-mail address in my profile.

As for your question, I suppose "most" was an exaggeration. Generally speaking (no pun intended) the dialogue you hear in a film was said at the time of filming. It's the background sounds (or lack thereof), dialogue of people off-screen or facing away from camera and of course special effects that get added later. The real trick is getting good enough equipment to catch the sounds you want and ignore the stuff you don't...which is why low-budget indy films tend to have crappy sound.

Liz: I feel the same way (and I think I said as much a few posts ago after the ABC broadcast). I said it again in the theater, as soon as the kids came on screen. Wink They've definitely hit that point in puberty where things change quickly. I had to restrain myself from singing the old Brady Bunch song "Time to Change." Very Happy

--Mike

Padfoot - Jun 11, 2004 11:05 am (#199 of 353)
Edited by Jun 11, 2004 12:06 pm

Oh, oh look what I found in a web chat with Chris Rankin (Percy)!

What's the longest time you've ever spent shooting a scene?

CR: The longest scene I've ever shot was on this first film. It was the scene with Peeves the Poltergeist. We shot it in Gloucester Cathedral cloisters.

Sadly it never made it to the final take although I hear Chris Columbus is going to be making a director's cut. In which it will be reinstated.

Diagon Nilly - Jun 11, 2004 11:56 am (#200 of 353)

jumping up an down< YAY! YAYAYAYAY!!!

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 201 to 210 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Liz Mann - Jun 11, 2004 12:58 pm (#201 of 353)

A directer's cut???

haymoni - Jun 11, 2004 2:09 pm (#202 of 353)

From whom did he hear this? How can we verify something like this?

Who is our contact at Warner Brothers? Is there someone from TLC that could verify this for us?

S.E. Jones - Jun 11, 2004 2:45 pm (#203 of 353)

We have a contact at WB?!

Padfoot - Jun 11, 2004 2:52 pm (#204 of 353)

I would like to see this verified too. *Keeping fingers crossed it's true* I wish I had an insider at the WB. Alas (earwax), I do not. Maybe you people are better connected than I.

The Great Abbycadabra - Jun 11, 2004 9:27 pm (#205 of 353)

Oooh, how exciting!!!

Loopy Lupin - Jun 14, 2004 6:12 am (#206 of 353)

Yay, director's cut!

By the way, are all of the Weasley boys growing out their hair for GOF? That would definitely be un-Percyish. There must be some type of gag they're planning. That would be a shame to grow your hair long for one scene only to have to cut it for the rest of the movie.

Diagon Nilly - Jun 14, 2004 6:31 am (#207 of 353)

Rupert Grint said in a red carpet interview that his hair is staying long for GoF. I'm assuming its the same for the twins, but I have no proof of that.

Loopy Lupin - Jun 15, 2004 5:56 am (#208 of 353)

Mmm. Maybe they're all jumping on the Bill bandwagon; still, rather un-Percyish.

Padfoot - Jun 15, 2004 8:33 am (#209 of 353)

I can't see Percy with long hair. Although Chris Rankin's hair is really long. Not a fan of it.

popkin - Jun 25, 2004 8:17 am (#210 of 353)

Liz, going back several posts to the scan of the script with signatures, the one in the middle of the page looks like J. K. Rowling to me. I hope it's on the script you bought.

Also, thanks for posting the part about the toy soldiers. I always wanted to know where he got them. I figured they were cast-offs of Dudleys, but wasn't sure.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 211 to 220 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:40 pm

Liz Mann - Jun 25, 2004 12:55 pm (#211 of 353)

Yes, I is.

haymoni - Jun 26, 2004 4:28 pm (#212 of 353)

ABC Family is showing SS on July 11, 2004.

Chris. - Jun 27, 2004 6:50 am (#213 of 353)

Does anyone know when PS/SS plans to have its premiere on British TV?

Liz Mann - Jun 27, 2004 9:13 am (#214 of 353)

Edited Jun 27, 2004 10:14 am
On Cable or on terestrial TV? It's already been on cable and... actually, I think it might have already been on terestrial TV as well. I'm not sure. The BBC bought the rights to be the first to show it aaaaages ago, just after it came out I think.

DJ Evans - Jun 27, 2004 10:59 am (#215 of 353)

haymoni, did they by any chance say if this showing will be with/without the deleted scenes in it? My Mom saw them advertising it the other day but she came in on it at the tail end of the commercial for it & didn't hear. All she caught was there was some HP movie going to be shown--she couldn't remember what channel even. So I've been trying to catch it myself to see if they say or not on the deleted scenes & get more information on it.

Sure hope it with the deleted scenes in it--much better viewing I think.

Later, Deb

Julia. - Jun 27, 2004 11:09 am (#216 of 353)

Deb, I believe the deleted scenes will be in it.

Neldoreth - Jun 27, 2004 2:43 pm (#217 of 353)

I am looking for the list of the chapters that stand on the english dvd for both S/PS and CoS : I have the french dvd and would like to get the 35 english titles (37 for CoS): would anyone be so nice and post them either here or email me ? Thanks for the help!

Liz Mann - Jun 27, 2004 3:00 pm (#218 of 353)

PS/SS:

1. Doorstop Delivery

2. Vanishing glass

3. Letters from no one

4. Keeper of the keys

5. Diagon Alley

6. Gringotts

7. Ollivanders

8. The boy who lived

9. Platform 9 3/4

10. Ron and Hermione

11. Welcome to Hogwarts

12. Sorting Hat

13. Nick and the other residents

14. Potions and parcels

15. New Seeker

16. Three-headed sentinel

17. Facts and feathers

18. Mountain Troll

19. Quiddich

20. Interference overcome

21. Christmas Gift

22. Cloaked in darkness

23. Mirror of Erised

24. Norbert

25. Forbidden Forest

26. Up to something

27. Through the trapdoor

28. Wizards chess

29. Sacrifice play

30. Man with two faces

31. Magic touch

32. Mark of love

33. House Cup winner

34. Not really going home

35. End credits

CoS:

1. In a cage

2. Dobby's warning

3. Car rescue

4. The Burrow

5. To Diagon Alley

6. Flourish and Blotts

7. Flying to Hogwarts

8. Whomping Willow

9. Not expelled... today

10. mandrakes; Ron's Howler

11. Gilderoy Lockhart

12. Mudbloods and murmurs

13. Writing on the wall

14. About the Chamber

15. Rogue Bludger

16. No longer safe

17. Dueling Club

18. A Parselmouth

19. Nothing to tell

20. Polyjuice potion

21. Harry and Ron transformed

22. The diary

23. Tom Riddle

24. Petrified

25. Cornelius Fudge

26. Aragog

27. Spider attack

28. Missing

29. Chamber of Secrets

30. Backfire

31. Heir of Slytherin

32. The Basilisk

33. Healing Powers

34. Out of the hat

35. Dobby's reward

36. Welcome back

37. End credits

That what you wanted?

DJ Evans - Jun 27, 2004 5:11 pm (#219 of 353)

Julia, thanks for the info on the deleted scenes on SS.

Appreciate it.

Later, Deb

Neldoreth - Jun 28, 2004 12:37 am (#220 of 353)

great Liz Mann! Thank you very much, it was quite important for me to find these: its for the thread "Geeky HP Observation List"!

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 221 to 230 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 pm

riddikulus - Jul 2, 2004 10:04 pm (#221 of 353)

Problem with 1st movie: Dumbledore at the quiddich match. JK says in the book that NOBODY would ever try to hurt Harry while he was around. Voldemort would never try to do anything in his presense, nor would anyone else. He was not at the match, in the book... yet there he was, sitting at the match... and yet quirrel still was able to curse him. I don't mind having liberties with the book, but that's just really big... to me.

Liz Mann - Jul 3, 2004 6:37 am (#222 of 353)

Yeah, well.

Choices - Jul 14, 2004 4:46 pm (#223 of 353)

OK, I watched the showing of the first HP movie with deleted scenes on ABC Family Sunday night - does anyone know if it is possible to get the DVD with the deleted scenes included in the body of the movie, not just tacked on (and hidden) on a seperate DVD? I tried to tape it, but all the commercials drove me to distraction!!

DJ Evans - Jul 14, 2004 7:28 pm (#224 of 353)

Choices, as far as I know, there is no extended versions out on the HP movies, as of yet. I've heard/read of rumors that they are suppose to be getting them out. When? I haven't heard of any dates yet. So for now, it's "Fast Forwarded" during the commercials!!!

Later, Deb

Padfoot - Jul 15, 2004 8:06 am (#225 of 353)

I have heard those same rumors too. I would much rather see the deleted scenes inserted back into the movie rather than tacked on on disc two. Maybe they will release something after PoA has left theaters but before PoA comes out on dvd? That would be so cool.

DJ Evans - Jul 15, 2004 8:48 am (#226 of 353)

Padfoot, I'm hoping that they, when PoA does come out, will just automatically bring it out in the extended version too!! But I'm not going to hold my breath on that. If they did that, then that would mean they would lose a second round of buying opportunities from all of us--if it didn't come out in the regular form first.

But then again, maybe to get us to buy the extended versions of SS and CoS (like we wouldn't? ), they could bring out a DVD set with all 3 movies with the extended versions? Now that would be nice to own, for sure!!!!

Later, Deb

Padfoot - Jul 15, 2004 8:53 am (#227 of 353)

Oh I can see all three movies coming out in a boxed set with the extended versions. But that would come out after the regular PoA dvd comes out. I don't know if I can wait that long. (I'm just so impatient). Now if they release the extended versions one at a time, now would be a good time to bring out SS.

Choices - Jul 15, 2004 9:15 am (#228 of 353)

Thanks to all who replied for the information. :-)

Liz Mann - Jul 16, 2004 4:27 am (#229 of 353)

They'd probably bring out the regular PoA DVD first, then the extended one a few months later, because they know the fans are never going to wait a few extra months for it, and they'll also not be able to resist an extended one, so they'll end up buying both. More money for the film makers. They did the same with LotR.

coolbeans3131 - Jul 16, 2004 5:32 am (#230 of 353)

I watched the chess scene on TV the other day, and it reminded me how impressed with Rupert Grint I was in the first movie. I don't think he really had anything interesting to do in PoA, and that's too bad. I'm not even a big Ron fan, (in the books or movies) and it irritates me. It's not Ruperts fault, it's the screen writer. After how impressive Rupert was in SS, I would have thought he'd write better for him, not worse.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion (Post # 231 to 240 of 353)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Liz Mann - Jul 16, 2004 8:50 am (#231 of 353)

The thing is, in the first movie Ron was funny because of the very 'Ron' things that he says ("She needs to sort out her priorities"). He was as he was in the book. But then Rupert's voice broke, and his voice is quite humourous really and so is his yell. So then they started making him cowardly to give him an excuse to do that funny voice and yell. Movie 1 Ron is more like book Ron.

Liz Mann - Sep 27, 2004 10:10 am (#232 of 353)

I was watching this movie again and I realised something. J.K. was supposed to have written a scene for this movie, and I am inclined to think it was the flashback of Voldemort arriving at the Potters'. Well, when I was watching, I noticed that when Lily was screaming and closing the door to the bedroom, Voldemort was actuallly facing away from her, because we could see his hand and it was facing the camera. I never noticed that before. I always thought she was screaming 'help' and rushing into the room because he was coming at her. But apparently not. And when I lip-read what she was saying, I realised that I was also wrong about it being 'help'. It was actually 'James'. Which makes me think that that was when James was killed (hense her trying to get away because she wouldn't want to watch her husband die) and that the fight between him and Voldie happened in the upstairs hall or on the stairs.

Not exactly a shocking discovery, I know. But if that is the scene that J.K. wrote, it could help us to paint a picture of exactly what happened that night.

Loopy Lupin - Sep 27, 2004 11:25 am (#233 of 353)

I was watching this movie again and I realised something. J.K. was supposed to have written a scene for this movie, and I am inclined to think it was the flashback of Voldemort arriving at the Potters'-- Liz

I am sure that someone will march right up behind me with a link to the appropriate site. In the meantime, I believe that, yes, this scene was personally added by JKR for reasons that we do not yet fully understand.

Liz Mann - Sep 28, 2004 6:40 am (#234 of 353)

If the rumour was correct, of course. But everyone seems to think that it is. Does anyone know who said it?

Dr Filibuster - Sep 28, 2004 10:32 am (#235 of 353)

Edited Sep 28, 2004 11:45 am
Well now, this subject has been driving me mad searching for a quote.

I recall reading all about it, during late 2001, in my movie magazine "Empire" and BBC Newsround. Sure enough, the BBC website has this (dated 11th October 2001):

EXTRA POTTER SCENE IN FIRST FILM

Fans of Harry Potter are in for an extra treat in the first film, with an added scene that isn't in the book!

Director Chris Colombus revealed to the Empire Online website that a section was written just for the film by JK Rowling.

It was originally supposed to be in the book of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone but JK decided not to include it.

KEY TO HARRY'S PAST

Luckily she didn't throw it away and gave it to Columbus, who has used the scene in the film with the permission of JK.

Even better, Columbus said the scene gave a little key to Harry's past.

He also said that the film was not four hours long, as some people had said, but would last around two and a half hours.

Alas, I can't for the life of me find the BBC Newsround article, written by Lizo in 2001, that definately confirms the scene is the Potter attack. That was the same article where he observed that Lily was wearing muggle clothes.

I hope that they orignally filmed more in that scene, and it may be revealed in future movies.

Madam Pince - Sep 29, 2004 3:44 pm (#236 of 353)

Liz, check out the thread "Was It Snape At Godric's Hollow That Night?" in the Theories section. I started that thread to speculate about that very scene, because I had noticed the same thing you did and it got me thinking on a very different line....

It bothered me that we were just shown a hooded figure walking up the path to the house and we are apparently meant to assume it is Voldy, just because of Hagrid's narration in the background. But somehow it felt to me like I was being led astray. After all, we never see the figure's face.

I, too, am certain that I read that it was definitely that particular scene that JKR wrote, but alas I do not have the source to quote.

Liz Mann - Sep 30, 2004 4:06 am (#237 of 353)

Yes but they wouldn't show his face because they wouldn't want to until he appeared at the end, because when Quirrell takes the turban off and we see what Voldie looks like we're meant to be all shock, horror!

I will probably check that thread out at some point. Thanks for pointing me to it.

popkin - Oct 1, 2004 6:17 am (#238 of 353)

Every time I see that scene, I think the figure walking up to the door looks like a woman. I also think the hand holding the wand that opens the door looks like a woman's hand.

Madam Pince - Oct 1, 2004 8:16 pm (#239 of 353)

You'll have to hurry, Liz, it's on the Muncher's Schedule for Oct. 7th!

Liz Mann - Oct 8, 2004 12:56 pm (#240 of 353)

7th? Well, I've missed that then.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion Empty Re: 1st Movie - HP and the Sorcerer's or Philosopher's Stone - Discussion

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next