Our Favorite Moments from Book Seven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:58 am

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

Kip Carter - Jul 23, 2007 9:33 am
co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!
Edited Sep 26, 2007 3:37 am

This thread is to discuss Our Favorite Moments from Book Seven. It was suggested by Veritaserum.
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Our Favorite Moments from Book Seven (Post 1 to 50)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:59 am

Anna L. Black - Jul 23, 2007 9:34 am (#1 of 145)
Snape's memories. The entire chapter of them. I still need to re-read it, but it was absolutely fascinating, to paraphrase Hermione, and very emotional.

Also: The ear jokes, Dudley's reaction, Molly killing Bellatrix.

- - - - - - - - - -
T Vrana - Jul 23, 2007 9:43 am (#2 of 145)

Anna, I must agree. Snape's last moments with Harry and the Prince's Story were wonderful, and exquisitely sad and powerful.

Harry burying Dobby....

I also found myself re-reading his time with DD, but prefer his HBP time with DD.

- - - - - - - - - -
mona amon - Jul 23, 2007 10:23 am (#3 of 145)

I was just reading the chapter again (The Prince's Tale), but had to stop half way as I was howling too much, so I totally agree with both of you!

- - - - - - - - - -
Remi - Jul 23, 2007 11:12 am (#4 of 145)

Dumbledore's woman through and through
I guess so far, it's unanimous. The Prince's Tale combined with Snape's final moments with Harry are by far my favorite. Re-read them 3 times so far.

OH - and when Harry tells his son Albus Severus that,"you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew." It's my favorite sentence in the whole book, and the one that makes me cry a river every single time.

I loved finding out about young Dumbledore. It is good to know that a man who is so admirable and so wonderful is flawed too; it just enhances his greatness, and emphasizes that one's choices really are everything.

Also, I LOVED how simply awesome Hermione is and how well she fights. She is so prepared and she pulls out spells like a true Order of the Phoenix member. How on earth did she only get an E in her DADA OWL?

And Dobby's death was by far the most emotional part.

- - - - - - - - - -
Puck - Jul 23, 2007 11:20 am (#5 of 145)

Mommy, Queen of Everything
I like all those, but need to add Percy's return,

All things Neville (he ROCKS)

Hermione kisses Ron (about time!)

I also liked that even amidst all the terror, normal teen stuff came into play (Such as Ginny not letting Cho take Harry to Ravenclaw tower, and Ron giving Harry that guidebook to girls.)

- - - - - - - - - -
T Vrana - Jul 23, 2007 11:27 am (#6 of 145)

Poor Percy......finally returns and loses Fred almost immediately...how he must regret those lost years.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jul 23, 2007 11:32 am (#7 of 145)

Librarian
My favorite, and most moving, moment by far was when we saw the painting that Luna had done in her room. Her 5 friends.

- - - - - - - - - -
T Vrana - Jul 23, 2007 11:33 am (#8 of 145)

That was great...

- - - - - - - - - -
Holly T. - Jul 23, 2007 11:35 am (#9 of 145)

OH - and when Harry tells his son Albus Severus that,"you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew." It's my favorite sentence in the whole book, and the one that makes me cry a river every single time.

Same here, can't even think of that part without wanting to cry.

Other parts I liked, other than the obvious heart-wrenching ones (Snape, Dobby):

"Are you a wizard or what?"

"OI! We're in the middle of a war here." (when Hermione and Ron are kissing)

Hermione's purse. I want one!

- - - - - - - - - -
Mattew Bates - Jul 23, 2007 11:43 am (#10 of 145)

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” Kahlil Gibran
I was incredibly touched by the scene where Harry used the resurrection stone - I was weeping openly throughout it, but unlike earlier death scenes, I couldn't put it down.

- - - - - - - - - -
Die Zimtzicke - Jul 23, 2007 11:48 am (#11 of 145)

I loved Luna's room. Luna and Neville were both made of awesome, and I think the best joke was the one about Snape and shampoo.

- - - - - - - - - -
Finn BV - Jul 23, 2007 11:51 am (#12 of 145)

Me kayaking, Niagara River, August 2006. I have been likened to Reepicheep in this photo.
Let's see…

Luna's room
Luna/Dean moments!
Dobby's death. Sob.
Molly vs. Bellatrix: AWESOME!
The return of Percy, and how touching it was that he held on to Fred as he was dead.
Dudley: "I don't think you're a waste of space."
Kreacher's redemption
Harry calling Voldemort Tom Riddle.
All of "The Prince's Tale", since I called most everything in that chapter!
Last but certainly not least, Harry calling Snape the bravest man he ever knew. What a change from calling him "coward" at the end of HBP.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jul 23, 2007 11:58 am (#13 of 145)

The eyes are the windows to the soul...
Oh, Die, I forgot about the Snape-shampoo joke! Classic!

Man, I miss Fred...

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jul 23, 2007 12:19 pm (#14 of 145)

Connections, speculation, discussion: the best part of HP reading! Check out the on-going HP Lex Forum series re-read! Currently reading GoF...
So many, so many....

*the painting in Luna's room

*X. Lovegood --and the fairy tale--- explaining the true meaning of the symbol on the spine of the UK edition.

*JKR's constant reminders to beware of believing all you hear or read.

*Hermione kissing Ron after his comment about saving the house-elves: so appropriate! And Harry's reaction "Is this the moment?" Harry asked weakly." and "OI! There's a war going on here!"

*the death of Hedwig really took me by surprise and I was so heartbroken for Harry...and then to have Hagrid spread-eagled on the ground at the end of that chapter, with the next chapter entitled "The Fallen Warrior"....nailbiting time!

*Harry's calmness as he faces off against LV and carefully explains the flaw in the plan.....very satisfying.

*Dobby's death....so sad, and so touching the way Harry et al responded in burying him.

MY FAVORITE BIT: p. 624 of the US edition, Mrs. Longbottom is speaking,

"...Have you seen my grandson?"

"He's fighting," said Harry.

"Naturally," said the old lady proudly. "Excuse me, I must go assist him."

- - - - - - - - - -
Remi - Jul 23, 2007 12:47 pm (#15 of 145)

Yeah - forgot about the Gran Longbottom's line, it was great Smile

- - - - - - - - - -
Mare - Jul 23, 2007 2:13 pm (#16 of 145)

I was so happy for Neville that he found himself. Keeping the letter from his gran near his heart.

I loved Luna and Neville the most in this book, with Mc Gonnagall a close second (such an improvement with the way we saw her at the end of HBP) I also liked very much the return of the DA (finally, finally!)
And Dobby's burial is sad but beautiful.

- - - - - - - - - -
Veritaserum - Jul 23, 2007 3:00 pm (#17 of 145)

Go Jays!
My favorites were (in no particular order):

Harry visiting his parents' graves in Godric's Hollow and all of the messages to Harry at their house.

the Potterwatch broadcast

George: "saintlike" I laughed for like a minute straight at this one

all of Hermione's amazing planning

Harry becoming Teddy's godfather

Harry calling Voldemort Tom

and definitely, my favorite part was when he used the resurrection stone and he asked his mother to stay with him. i was crying at that part.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madame Pomfrey - Jul 23, 2007 3:18 pm (#18 of 145)

I love Mrs.Weasleys name calling and fight with Bellatrix over Ginny.No wonder the kids didn't like to cross their mother they knew how powerful she was.

Harry's walk toward death had me bawling. Then when Harry collapsed after the AK I was thinking "No,she didn't!" in reference to JKR. I was all set to accept Harry's death until I got to Harry walking with his loved ones through the forrest asking if it hurts etc.I wouldn't accept and probably wouldn't forgive Jo if he had died after that.

Percy's appologies and welcome back into the family fold was a tear jerker.

Snape's wanting to see Lily's eyes before he died got me too.

I absolutely loved Harry's retalliation when Alecto spit in McGonnagal's face.That must have really p.o'd him for the spell to actually work.

McGonagall's grief when she thought Harry dead.*Sniff,Sniff*

Actually,all the interchange between Harry and his head of house were heartfelt and well written.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 23, 2007 3:32 pm (#19 of 145)

When Harry gave Kreacher the locket.

Harry comforting Mr. Ollivander.

Dobby coming to the rescue. I knew Dobby would save Harry.

Aberforth's railroad station.

Everyone showing up for the fight.

The Centaurs seeing Harry conquer death and only then fighting. LPO

- - - - - - - - - -
Vox Gerbilis - Jul 23, 2007 3:33 pm (#20 of 145)

I loved Ron's reconciliation with Harry. So touching to see the barriers of envy and jealousy in that beautiful friendship finally come down. I wept when Harry said "I love her like a sister." The bonds of the trio were firmly established at that point, and they could get one with their business of defeating Voldemort.

Also loved Ron's comment about how Peeves's doggerel summed up the "scope and tragedy" of the battle. So Ronnish, even at that emotional moment.

I was wondering how the past minor characters would be worked in. Great how they all showed up in the Room of Requirement!

Slughorn's entry into battle was very much in character. Not a great contribution, but he came through in the end.

Oh, and Zachariah Smith trying to get ahead of the first-years in the evacuation!

And, of course, everything about Neville. I've developed almost maternal feelings for Neville, and I felt as proud as Grandma Longbottom.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jul 23, 2007 4:19 pm (#21 of 145)

Connections, speculation, discussion: the best part of HP reading! Check out the on-going HP Lex Forum series re-read! Currently reading GoF...
Just recalled one more tidbit: loved that pompous Ernie McMillian's patronus is "a boar". **snicker**

- - - - - - - - - -
Cerpin Taxt - Jul 23, 2007 4:29 pm (#22 of 145)

Absolutely agree with all those moments, but how come all of you have skipped the Hagrid leaping off the bike onto the Death Eater to protect him. Hagrid knew he could have died from doing that and I think he would have expected it so sad. I like how Hagrid's life ended up nice and happy at the end just like he deserved after what he has been thru.

- - - - - - - - - -
Pamzter - Jul 23, 2007 5:38 pm (#23 of 145)

Luna's mural on her bedroom ceiling - especially that the fine golden links winding around the portraits were made of the word "friends" written thousands of times. I could just see her laying there in bed engraving it with her wand while thinking dreamily of the friends she finally had. That brought tears to my eyes that some of the deaths did not.

It took my breath away when Narcissa asked if Draco was still alive.

It was also very moving to discover that there's been a memorial for James and Lily at Godric's Hoolow all this time. *sigh*

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jul 23, 2007 6:05 pm (#24 of 145)

Freshwater, I totally missed that about Ernie McMillian's patronus! Thanks for pointing that out! He is such a politico... I was convinced he was going to be Minister of Magic in the epilogue. Maybe he just needs more than 19 years... I'm sure he'll get there eventually.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mediwitch - Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm (#25 of 145)

"We could have all been killed-- or worse, expelled!"
You guys have listed some great ones. I loved the humor in the midst of the most gut-wrenching scenes, like when George's ear got cut off. Ron gave me many LOL moments - the one I am still snickering about is "What in the name of Merlin's most baggy Y Fronts was that about?"

- - - - - - - - - -
The Wandless Wizard - Jul 23, 2007 6:40 pm (#26 of 145)

When wands are outlawed, only outlaws will have wands.
A lot of my favorites have been mentioned such as Luna's ceiling, Mrs. Weasley and Bella, Dobby's burial, the Neville moments, etc. Some that have not been mentioned:

When Ron and Harry return to the tent after retreiving the sword from the water, Ron thinks that Hermione is running to kiss him. Instead she starts pummeling him. After waiting for about 4 books for that kiss, I was sure that was the moment. I was fooled just as badly as Ron was.

I did like the actual kiss too. I'm not a shipper but that ship was so obvious and put off for so long, it was satisfying in an "About time" type of way.

Mrs. Weasley giving Harry her brothers watch and how Harry tried to put all the emotion he felt into the hug. She felt bad she could not give Harry something new, and that meant a thousand times more to Harry than a new watch ever could. The thing Harry saw in the Mirror of Erised was family, and that is what Mrs. Weasley gives him.

I really liked the Ministry of Magic caper. It was a fun read with how everything kept going wrong and they'd get seperated. Harry being told off by Mr. Weasley thinking he was someone else, trying to warn him and Mr. Weasley taking it as a threat. Then they risk everything to help the woman that their plan endangered.

Kreacher wanting to hit Mundungus just once more "for luck". All the domestic Kreacher stuff was really funny as well, like when he told Harry to make sure he washed up for dinner.

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Jul 23, 2007 7:45 pm (#27 of 145)

All that you all have mentioned and will add Ron smacking Malfoy on the broom on the way out of the ROR and letting him know that it was the second time they have saves his life.

- - - - - - - - - -
geauxtigers - Jul 23, 2007 9:35 pm (#28 of 145)

Yum!
I loved CAPSLOCK Molly!

Loved Neville's "I'll join you when hell freezes over, Dumbledore's Army!"

I loved how Harry called Voldemort, Tom. I loved how he was absolutly fearless in the final showdown.

Dobby's funeral was gut wrenching, I wasn't all that upset when he died, but I couldn't stop crying by the time we got to his funeral. It was really well written.

Loved Percy jumping in there at the last minute! That was great.

Peeves' new song! Ron and Hermione's kiss! "Oi! We're in a war!" LOL

I also loved Ginny's brithday present to Harry. LOL Too bad Ron walked in.

Loved Neville and Sprout running with the mandrakes and Trelawney with her crystal balls! "I've got more!" LOL

Harry's walk into the forest was so brave. It was so tough to get through, I cried the whole time, but man he is one of the bravest, most noble things I've ever read. Jo did a beautiful job with that and as gut wrenching as it was, it was really good. Harry truly is a Gryffindor. How many characters/people could do what Harry did?

Thats all I can think of for the time being, but I'm sure I'll think of more!

- - - - - - - - - -
Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 23, 2007 9:36 pm (#29 of 145)

I agree with all the moments listed in the thread I only have a couple to add.

Percy's rage over Fred's death and want to continue the fight when all others are urging him to retreat. It was at that point Percy went from being Humongous Bighead to being a true Gryffindor.

Harry's retrieval of Alastor Moody's magical eye I found to be Harry's attempt to honor a noble and a righteous man who died doing what was right and just.

Harry standing up to Remus when he is considering abandoning Tonks to accompany Harry on his quest. It was at this point that I think Harry found Lily within himself.

- - - - - - - - - -
Amilia Smith - Jul 23, 2007 10:08 pm (#30 of 145)

My severed hand played out abso-positively-lutely perfectly! I was just so tickled about that, that I just put the book down and grinned for hours. Well, I didn't actually put the book down until everyone was out of the Malfoys' safe and sound, but still . . . At that point I almost didn't care how anything else worked out, the pay out with the silver hand was so perfect. (I cared again later. But that is still my favorite part.)

Mills.

- - - - - - - - - -
zelmia - Jul 24, 2007 1:07 am (#31 of 145)

Oh! And that's a bad miss!
MOLLY WEASLEY!!!

NEVILLE!!!

Also:
The reappearance of the older students who had left school before Harry, and who we thought we had seen the last of. In particular Oliver Wood, but all the original Quidditch team; Colin Creevey, Cho, and especially Percy Weasley.

Kreacher leading the House Elves into the fray.

Ron killing the Horcrux and his simultaneous reconciliation/bond-cementing with Harry, symbolised by their first ever hug. (Ironically, this is immediately followed by Ron and Hermione's polar opposite reunion).

Dudley.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ms Hagrid - Jul 24, 2007 6:19 am (#32 of 145)

In addition to what's already been mentioned, I'll just add that I loved all the moments in Harry's travels when he gets news of what's going on in the world and realizes that people are still resisting the new regime:

When he overhears Dean, Ted Tonks, Dirk Cresswell, and the goblins and they talk about The Quibbler and what Ginny and other students have been up to. Dean sticking up for Harry!

When he sees signs of support at Godrics Hollow.

Potterwatch! Lupins message to Harry!

Those scenes really lifted Harry's spirits (and mine, too!)

- - - - - - - - - -
Katherine Bullock - Jul 24, 2007 7:07 am (#33 of 145)

I loved all of the parts already mentioned. A few other favorites:

Seeing the young, jealous Petunia. Made me feel a little for her, actually!

The trio saving Malfoy and Goyle. I also loved seeing Crabbe standing up to Draco and then Malfoy's sadness over his death. Very strange part but I loved it.

At the end, when everyone was all mixed together in the Great Hall, celebrating. I even liked that the Malfoys were still there (though not sure if they belonged, kinda hiding away from the rest).

Dumbledore calling Harry a "man." Well, he says, "You wonderful boy. You brave, brave man..."

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Jul 24, 2007 7:19 am (#34 of 145)

I loved Harry's upper hand with Vernon Dursley. Especially when Vernon accuses Harry of wanting the house.

Loved the whole of 7 Harrys until they take off from #4PD. Harry being totally helpless in not allowing others to becoming him. (Fred's bit totally funny) Harry's embarrasment of other people getting dressed like him. I couldn't even imagine! And when Fleur looked at Bill. I was laughing so hard.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 24, 2007 8:27 am (#35 of 145)

LOL Esther Rose I loved that scene to!

I liked how the trio and others lost their wands and had to learn to use others. It really emphasized the hazards of war. There is probably deeper meaning to it but I haven't worked it out yet. Too much to take in! LPO

- - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Jul 24, 2007 10:23 am (#36 of 145)

The whole book to me is a "favorite moment", but the highlights are:

Molly Weasley--both the birthday gift and her CAPSLOCK moment at the end. Two extremes of emotion, but both coming from the same place: love.

Neville--I knew he'd have a big part in the finale, but I hadn't expected this much. Is it me, or was there something of a resemblance to Mad-Eye at the end there (limp, scars, etc.)?

McGonagall--every moment she appeared was gold, from her face-off with Carrow to leading the Charge of the Desk Brigade. Her interactions with Harry were telling as well; there's a definite shift from teacher/student to adult/adult.

Fleur--of all people you'd expect to break the tension at Percy's return... "So, 'ow is little Teddy?"

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Jul 24, 2007 2:57 pm (#37 of 145)

Dobby-- Came closest to crying here. (Sorry, I haven't actually cried over a book or movie in years, but Dobby had me wanting to.)

Kreacher-- Fight! Fight! I theorized long ago about the elves being part of the final battle. Now, I imagined it on a much grander scale and speculated that their own brand of underestimated magic would be helpful and that SPEW would play a role. That was wrong, but I'll take the elves stabbing ankles and knees with kitchen knives too!

Finn mentioned Luna's room and I'd forgotten about that already-- Very touching.

McGonnagal Rules-- "We duel to kill."

Grawp-- It was simply explained, but I had such a great visual of Grawp and the Giant going at it like lions.

Harry walking to meet his fate-- Rowling had me going. I thought Harry was done for. Being surrounded by his family was touching too.

Narcissa-- I know she was just looking out for Draco, but I loved the unspoken contract being made between her and Harry in the Forest.

Molly-- Of course I love old CAPSLOCK, but I wonder where that leaves the Forum's language policy now that the word has been used in both its canine and expletive senses.

- - - - - - - - - -
Veritaserum - Jul 24, 2007 3:05 pm (#38 of 145)

Go Jays!
I would like to add that I also liked how Harry saved Draco. It just seemed so appropriate because for all the grief he's given them over the years, it just really wouldn't be the same without him. Plus Narcissa protecting Harry for news of Draco. Narcissa was always my favorite Death Eater.

Also, though the scene itself was really sad, during Harry's row with Lupin, I was pleased that he was calling him Remus, as an equal, and no longer "Professor."

- - - - - - - - - -
poohnpiglettt - Jul 24, 2007 6:31 pm (#39 of 145)

I've loved a lot that have already been mentioned by one not mentioned: When Ron says: "[DD]...must've knows I"' run out on you." "No," Harry corrected him. "He must've known you'd always want to come back."

I just found that very moving between the two of them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mudblood and Proud - Jul 24, 2007 7:07 pm (#40 of 145)

The final scene in the Great Hall with the Malfoys huddled up as a family. You see that even they are capable of love

Dobby's unflinching loyalty

I want a wedding like Bill and Fleurs!

The madness of the Lovegoods

Tom Riddle cornered and Harry finalling becoming the hero!

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Jul 24, 2007 7:47 pm (#41 of 145)

Wow! It's so hard to choose. I absolutely loved this book from beginning to end. Jo is a genius. A lot of these have already been mentioned, but some of my favorite moments are:

- Harry standing up to Uncle Vernon and then Dudley's reaction. Loved: " Blimey, Dudley. Did the dementors blow a different personality into you?" LOL

- Hedwig's death was the first time I cried in this book. There were several others. Then Hagrid jumping on the Death Eater to save Harry and Harry yelling, "Accio Hagrid." I needed a whole box of tissues for that chapter.

- Harry finding Lily's letter and the picture of himself as a baby.

- Kreacher's tale and Harry giving him the fake locket of Regulus'.

- Harry standing up to Lupin and the result of this: Lupin returning to his wife and child.

- Harry retrieving Mad-Eye's eye from Umbridge's office door.

- Harry crying over his parents' graves. I needed another box of tissues for this scene.

- Harry comforting Ron after destroying the locket horcrux. More tissues.

- Luna's room.

- Potterwatch and Lupin's message to Harry about trusting his instincts. So true.

- Dobby saving them and then his death and funeral. Harry finally learning to close his mind in his grief over Dobby. I was an absolute mess at this point.

- Luna and Ollivander's friendship after their imprisonment.

- Lupin asking Harry to be godfather.

- The Dragon ride!

- Voldemort thinking that he alone knew of the Room of Requirement. Again he underestimates love. Harry found out about the room through Dobby who loved him.

- Neville really understanding the Room of Requirement. It makes me wonder if Jo told the movie producers to have Neville be the one to introduce Harry to the ROR.

- Harry standing up for McGonagall and her pride that he is in her house.

- McGonagall: "We teachers are rather good at magic you know." LOL

- Ginny insisting on fighting. A true Gryffindor and a perfect match for Harry!

- All of Dumbledore's Army showing up to help and even some older students.

- Fred's death scene. I'm convinced this is the scene that had JKR howling. Because I certainly was.

- McGonagall: "CHARGE!" to the desks. I was on the floor laughing at this. I can just picture her.

- Snape's memories.

- Harry walking into the woods with his parents and Lupin and Sirius.

- The entire scene with Dumbledore. SOOOOO touching. He really did love Harry.

- Neville killing Nagini. Awesome!

- Harry calmly explaining to Voldemort the things he did not understand. Proving Harry really is the greater wizard.

- Harry telling Voldemort that Dumbledore had dreamed of the same things, but chose not to pursue them. That he was a better wizard and a better man. Choices again. Harry finally learning that no one is perfect, even Dumbledore.

- Harry choosing not to keep all of the hallows. Dumbledore's pride in him.

- The portraits applauding.

Gosh, I could go on and on. I think I'll leave it there for now!

- - - - - - - - - -
totyle - Jul 24, 2007 9:18 pm (#42 of 145)

Everything..simply everything everyone has mentioned..plus just this one :

He saw Neville, the sword of Griffindor lying beside his plate as he ate, surrounded by a knot of fervent admirers...considering how Neville always felt that he was a nobody that was great. Loved that bit at the end...!

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm (#43 of 145)

Narcissa-- I know she was just looking out for Draco, but I loved the unspoken contract being made between her and Harry in the Forest. --Loopy

You know, I loved this, but I couldn't quite figure it out. What did Narcissa gain by finding out this info -- was it just so that she'd know what to do when they get to the castle? What would she have done if Draco was dead, and Harry told her the truth and said so? Would she have "turned him in" and thus killed the messenger? It's not like it would be Harry's fault Draco died (well, probably... technically...) She had no way of knowing that the reason Draco was alive was due to Harry's saving him, either, since all Harry said was "yes" so it's not like she'd "owe" him just for giving her good news. I can't see how her decision to "turn Harry in" or not would hinge on his answer to her question.

Well, not unless he said "Nyah, nyah, wouldn't you like to know?" or "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies!" and really, how likely is that?

Interesting thought -- Neville avenged Snape. How ironic is that?

- - - - - - - - - -
totyle - Jul 24, 2007 9:45 pm (#44 of 145)

Madame Pince..its answered in the book as Harry understood that the reason Narcissa didnt turn in Harry was because she knew the only way back into Hogwarts to get to Draco would be to enter as part of the conquering army...

Wasnt too happy about this part..wished there'd been a chance for her to know then that Harry had saved Draco's life twice and thats why she lied to LV..oh well..hopefully she found about it later when they were huddled up together.

Edited to add..Neville avenged Snape?..how and when?...oh I really have got to do a reread..! Mustve missed that..

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jul 24, 2007 9:48 pm (#45 of 145)

But surely if she'd turned around and said "My Lord, he's not dead!" she'd have to expect that Voldy would keep trying until he killed him, right? Oh, I don't know.

- - - - - - - - - -
mooncalf - Jul 24, 2007 10:22 pm (#46 of 145)

totyle - Neville avenged Snape by killing Nagini, who killed Snape. Good point, Madame Pince!

- - - - - - - - - -
zelmia - Jul 24, 2007 10:24 pm (#47 of 145)

Madame Pince, it was a straight exchange. Both Narcissa and Harry had to trust each other. Narcissa had to trust that Harry was telling truth, and Harry had to trust that by doing so she would lie. It was an instant, unspoken bargain and both did kept it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Bruno Willey - Jul 25, 2007 7:13 am (#48 of 145)

Edited Jul 25, 2007 7:58 am
Haha I agree with all and I mean all the parts previously mention but one that stands out to me and suprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet is... and ohh did the frog faced bow wearing cow have it comeing... When Harry cracked Umbridge with a stunning spell, throughout that whole scene I was hopeing on hopes that he would just knock her back into reality and he did it oh so well!!!

And another part that just sticks out to me is when Pansy Parkinson stands up and points to Haryy saying, "There's Potter. Someone grab him!" and Mcgonagall says "Thank you. Miss Parkinson... you will leave the hall first with Mr Filch! If the rest of your house could follow" HAHA that cracked me up!

Edited to add last paragraph

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Jul 25, 2007 7:30 am (#49 of 145)

I agree with Zelmia's "unspoken bargain." Narcissa could've found out that Draco was still alive and then still ratted Harry out. Or Harry could've lied if Draco were dead. Who knows what she would've done if Draco had been dead and Harry told the truth. Narcissa apparently figured out (and maybe she figured it out at the moment she realized that Harry was still alive) that her best bet to keep her family together was to jump sides.

- - - - - - - - - -
Bruno Willey - Jul 25, 2007 8:00 am (#50 of 145)

Yes! Yes! Loony Lupin if seeing a 17 year old boy live after being blasted fair in the chest with a killing curse by the most notorious Dark Wizard of the age isn't enough incentive to change sides I don't know what is??
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Our Favorite Moments from Book Seven (Post 51 to 100)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:02 am

Phoenix - Jul 25, 2007 10:34 am (#51 of 145)
Nicola Mlynek
I love all the parts mentioned above! I did not read through the whole thread, but one part that made me laugh out loud was when Hermione attacked Ron when he came back, and Harry had to cast a shield charm to protect him!

- - - - - - - - - -
Potteraholic - Jul 25, 2007 11:30 am (#52 of 145)

"Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent - and a nice thirst to prove yourself ..." (PS/SS)
Bruno Willey: "Yes! Yes! Loony Lupin if seeing a 17 year old boy live after being blasted fair in the chest with a killing curse by the most notorious Dark Wizard of the age isn't enough incentive to change sides I don't know what is??"

A friend and I were discussing Narcissa's motives for not turning Harry in and I agree with what you said exactly.

- - - - - - - - - -
Remi - Jul 25, 2007 1:29 pm (#53 of 145)

PatPat - re: your post #42, I think it makes sense that they'd check with Jo and let Neville find the room of requirement in the OOTP Movie. Did they also do that with Luna's rabbit patronus?

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jul 25, 2007 7:11 pm (#54 of 145)

Good points about Narcissa's motives. Maybe, since they'd clearly become disenchanted (no pun intended) with Lord Voldemort lately, they'd been looking for an opportunity to switch sides but hadn't come across one yet. Helping Harry at this juncture might get her in the castle long enough to look for Draco, and maybe cause enough uproar once the deception was discovered for her to sneak him out of danger...

Yes, I like it - that works nicely. Thanks, guys!

Taking that thought even a bit further -- I've been wondering if Draco was "backing off" from attacking Harry in the RoR of his own accord, or what. Keeping in mind that it appeared that Narcissa was the one keeping everyone (ie: Lucius and Draco) quiet during DE meetings, I'm wondering if she had called a little private family meeting where she told both of them "Keep your mouths SHUT and your heads DOWN!" as a plan to get them out of their predicament?

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Jul 26, 2007 6:26 am (#55 of 145)

Let us not forget. Mothers (well, all parents really) have the distinctive knack for putting their children in someone else's child's shoes.

Harry and Draco are the same age. From the way it was written it seems that Narcissa was pretty shocked at how the events transpired. She could have seen her son where Harry was in her mind.

- - - - - - - - - -
Katherine Bullock - Jul 26, 2007 6:43 am (#56 of 145)

I actually like Narcissa. I think she got dragged into what Lucius was doing unwillingly, and after LV basically setting Draco up for failure, she wanted out.

As far as the exchange between her and Harry, I definitely agree with what you've all said about why she didn't announce that Harry was alive. However, I also think she was hoping that since he was alive, he was the one chance of killing LV. She wanted her son alive and LV dead.

- - - - - - - - - -
Joanne Reid - Jul 26, 2007 11:03 am (#57 of 145)

HI,

I agree with everyone regarding Narcissa. I think that she saw the true nature of Voledmort, the Death Eaters and what it would mean to her family should they win.

We know that Narcissa's most important goal was the defense of her son's life. Voldemort had arranged his death. Voldemort had undermined her family's position and threatened her household. She had seen enough!

Further, she had seen the so-called rewards received by her sister, Bellatrix, for her loyalty to Voldemort. She came to realize that she and her family were about to be rewarded in the same way.

So, she rebelled. She took whatever opportunities and took whatever chances she had to take to ensure Draco's life. Her actions took great courage, taking place quite literally under Voldemort's nose. At least in some small way, she too became a hero of the Battle of Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Weeny Owl - Jul 26, 2007 2:03 pm (#58 of 145)

One of my favorite moments?

"Always," Said Snape.

He always loved Lily, and we found out at that point that the doe Harry followed was Snape's Patronus. We found out once and for all that Snape had always been on the Order's side, and that he had done quite a bit over the years to protect Harry, including arguing with Dumbledore in Harry's defense.

It was so sad how Snape died, and I would have loved to have seen a mention of a funeral for him and him finally receiving, albeit posthumously, an Order of Merlin.

R.I.P. Professor Snape. You and your sacrifice won't be forgotten.

- - - - - - - - - -
Sconie Girl - Jul 26, 2007 2:07 pm (#59 of 145)

Loved all the above...

One more: Neville telling Harry that they tried to "bring Gran in quietly" and Dawlish was still in St Mungos.

Question.... I've been racking my brain trying to find out when we learned that Lily's patronus was a doe? WHERE DID I MISS THIS????

- - - - - - - - - -
Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 26, 2007 2:11 pm (#60 of 145)

Lily's Doe patronus was confirmmed in the Prince's Tale and the Fatal Flaw chapters.

It doesn't say much for Dawlish's abilities does in when Dumbledore overpowers him twice and Augusta Longbottom once.

- - - - - - - - - -
Sconie Girl - Jul 26, 2007 2:26 pm (#61 of 145)

OK...so we didn't know this before the "Prince's Tale". I made the assumption it was Lily's patronus, but my mother always told me what happens when you assume.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jul 26, 2007 11:38 pm (#62 of 145)

Yes, I noticed that about Dawlish -- he must be the worst Auror ever. Anytime Jo needed an Auror to be overcome to advance the storyline, it was Dawlish to the rescue! Seems like there was one other occasion other than the ones you mention, Nathan, but I can't think of it now.

I just remembered two other things that I thought were great: when the stone gargoyle's head moaned in injured misery "Oh don't mind me -- I'll just lie here and crumble..." and then later after it's all over when Harry wonders if he'll need to give a password to the damaged gargoyle at the headmaster's office and he just asks "Can we go in?" and the gargoyle groaned "Feel free..."

- - - - - - - - - -
serendipity - Jul 27, 2007 6:24 am (#63 of 145)

~I admired the fact that Narcissa protected Harry. I agree that she claimed he was dead to return to the castle and retrieve her son but I think the entire situation feeds in to Rowling’s underlying theme of Love being a conquering force. Narcissa, though a Death Eater, loved her son and wanted to protect him and be reunited with him. She was going to do whatever she needed to get back into that castle and if it meant protecting Harry, well then so be it. Again I think it illustrates just how powerful a mother’s love is. As we see over and over with Lilly and again with Mrs. Weasly in the end.

~Everything Neville!!! Way to rock!

~Bill and Flure's wedding-- I WANT ONE!!

~I really enjoyed the epilogue. It cracked me up when everyone was staring at the group (Ron, Ginny, Hermonie and HARRY) and when the kids asked why Ron said it was because he was rather famous hahah.

~McGonagall and the desks—“CHARGE!”

~And of course I love that everyone lived happily ever after…. Awe……

- - - - - - - - - -
Holly T. - Jul 27, 2007 7:49 am (#64 of 145)

Kingsley overpowers Dawlish too.

- - - - - - - - - -
Sconie Girl - Jul 27, 2007 1:37 pm (#65 of 145)

Dawlish is also overpowered by Dirk Cresswell....maybe the Confundus Charm from Kingsley from OoP was too harsh... Dirk did say he had been confunded

- - - - - - - - - -
legolas returns - Jul 27, 2007 1:38 pm (#66 of 145)

I thought it was Nevilles gran that confunded him.

- - - - - - - - - -
Esther Rose - Jul 27, 2007 2:02 pm (#67 of 145)

I think Dawlish should consider retirement before he ends up in St. Mungos permanently. Poor guy! He's just trying to do his job!

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jul 28, 2007 11:25 am (#68 of 145)

Normally I would post this on the "You Know You Are a Harry Potter/ HP Lexicon Fan When..." thread, but it concerns a bit in DH so I don't want it to be a spoiler there...

While reading aloud to my son, we got to the bit where Ginny was giving Harry his birthday present and my son said,"I'll bet Ron comes in and interrupts them." I just smirked as we read on and in the next paragraph, that's exactly what happened! **sniff, sniff....I'm so proud...**

My son --who is now 13 and likes to profess that he hates HP(!), got a great laugh out of that....and I got PROOF that he really does know his HP after all! **HA!**buffs fingernails on shirt front**grin**

Madam Pince, take 50 points for your house! Your earlier post (I'm way behind in my forum reading) stating how ironic it was that Neville avenged Snape --albeit unknowingly-- by killing Nagini: BRILLIANT!! I hadn't caught that and haven't seen it mentioned by anyone else. THIS is why I LOVE the forum and HP....my reading enjoyment is multiplied exponetially by the insights of so many others!

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 28, 2007 12:36 pm (#69 of 145)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
Dear forum daughter Freshwater, I feel exactly the same way. What I read here adds so much to my understanding of what i read in the books. It is so interesting so read everyone's take on things.

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Jul 28, 2007 4:02 pm (#70 of 145)

I'm with you, freshwater and Choices. I absolutely LOVE this forum. Our discussions are always civil even when we disagree and, invariably, someone notices something that I missed or interprets something in a different way from me. It makes me think and, though I would love the books no matter what, this forum makes me love them even more. It's so wonderful to be able to share the enjoyment with so many thoughtful and intelligent people.

- - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Jul 28, 2007 5:56 pm (#71 of 145)

"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up." A.A. Milne
I enjoyed seeing the Lovegood's house (all of it), Hermione's beaded bag, the need for a non-magical digging of Dobby's grave, the Kreacher back-story, Hermione polyjuiced into Bellatrix; the Malfoy mansion, Harry calling Voldemort by his real name of 'Tom;' but my favorite thing was the scattering of dozens of tiny little moments with *zing* comments or actions; Snape & shampoo, Neville's Gran, Aberforth's eye, McGonogall's 'bunk" comment, animated desks & gargoyles fighting... I guess I'd have to say my favorite things/moments were the details.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 28, 2007 6:09 pm (#72 of 145)

There are so many amazing things in this book - funny comments, touching moments, daring deeds - I don't think I could choose a favorite to save my life. I love them all!

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jul 28, 2007 9:55 pm (#73 of 145)

Some of the things I like best about DH are the very things that others have complained about. For example....

*the trio spend too much time camping and moving aimlessly around: to me that just shows that heroic missions aren't all action, blood and glory...they are mostly getting ready, waiting and watching...not riveting, but realistic.

*Snape was such a mean, hateful person..loving Lily obsessively doesn't redeem him: he is a great example that even the most hateful people can have great love for someone or something....also a great example that many people pay much higher prices in their lives, and get far less recognition than they deserve. Snape's life memories should enable Harry to escape the trap of self-pity for the losses in his own life.

*Dumbledore was manipulative and uncaring towards Snape: an excellent example that even the best of us can make critical mistakes or behave badly.

I'm sure there are even more examples, but my sleepy brain is shutting down. To sum up, it seems to me that JKR's characterizations of circumstances and her characters is rich and complex...just like human nature and real life....perhaps that is part of the appeal of these books that has crossed lines of culture, language and age.
- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Jul 29, 2007 8:43 am (#74 of 145)

freshwater, I agree with everything you said except the part about Dumbledore. I don't see him as manipulative and uncaring towards Snape at all. Dumbledore, alone, was aware of the worst thing that Snape did, which led directly to the death of Lily and James and put Harry in the position he was in. A horrible, horrible thing. Yet, Dumbledore still kept his word not to tell anyone about it, including Harry, who, it could be argued, had a right to know. What Dumbledore did was to help Snape atone, in some way, for his past. Then Snape has the nerve to question Dumbledore's plans??? I would have been a little peeved myself.

- - - - - - - - - -
Stephanie M. - Jul 29, 2007 12:47 pm (#75 of 145)

All of my favorite moments have been mentioned, but I loved when Harry went into Sirius' room, and saw how un-Black family it was! And the muggle picture of the girls! That made me smile so much.

I also loved Lily's letter to Sirius, and the ripped picture of baby Harry riding a toy broom. I loved how Snape is the one who ripped so that he could have a picture of Lily, and the rest of the letter too.

I another great moment was when the trio went into the muggle café and Ron said that the cappuccino was disgusting. And I loved how they restored the look of the café and put memory charms on everyone so it was like nothing ever happened. I thought that that was probably one of the first really smart moves that they made during this book.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jul 29, 2007 1:59 pm (#76 of 145)

You and I are completely in agreement, PatPat. I must have presented my thoughts carelessly in the earlier post....I'd intended the first part of each idea to be seen as a complaint made by another forumer (not necessarily endorsed by me) and the last part of each statement to be my response to the complaint, actually disagreeing with it or explaining it away. That's what I get for posting so late at night.....sorry for the confusion.

- - - - - - - - - -
zelmia - Jul 29, 2007 2:48 pm (#77 of 145)

I don't remember anyone mentioning this but I really loved when Luna, Ernie and Seamus jump in to protect Harry from the Dementors; and how it is Luna who ultimately encourages Harry to go on. She says the best possible thing: "We're all still here".

- - - - - - - - - -
Accio Sirius - Jul 29, 2007 4:10 pm (#78 of 145)

Back to the old school Sirius
"In the name of brave Regulus, fight." That made me laugh out loud through tears.

There were several things that made my daughter and I literally jump up and cheer:

Molly taking on Bella with a mother's zeal.

Lily, James, Sirius and Lupin coming to Harry's aide, telling him how brave he was. I was in tears.

Sirius' bedroom. Too funny. And Harry obsessing over his mother's letters like I obsess over JKR's words!

Neville pulling the sword out of the hat.

Harry calling Voldything Tom and offering him a chance at remorse.

Also, that Duddykins redeemed himself, if ever so slightly, was a nice example of someone taking the chance at remorse.

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Jul 29, 2007 5:53 pm (#79 of 145)

Ahh. I see what you were saying now, freshwater! I agree with you completely then! LOL

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jul 30, 2007 7:48 pm (#80 of 145)

Gut-wrenching moments ...

The death of Hedwig
The death of Fred
Harry's handling of Dobby's death, burial (I still cry any time I refer back to it.)
Harry's walk into the forest with James, Lily, Sirius, and Remus

Moments that were moving ...
Ollivander making a new wand for Luna
Kreacher's transformation

Moments that made me cheer ...
Neville coming out of the opening in the Hog's Head
Luna, Ernie, and Seamus casting their Patronuses to repel the Dementors
Kreacher leading the House-Elves out into the fight
Neville cutting off Nagini's head
Molly taking out Bella
Harry continually calling Voldemort Tom and Riddle

Moment that made me giggle ...
Hermione's comment on Ron's tale of woe upon his return to her and Harry: "Imagine losing fingernails, Harry! That really puts our sufferings into perspective, doesn't it?"

There are a million more, but those are the ones that stick in my brain at the moment.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Martha S - Jul 31, 2007 11:00 am (#81 of 145)

Mt. Airy, MD
I liked how Harry left Privet Dr. the same way he first arrived there, with Hagrid on Sirius' motorbike.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jul 31, 2007 6:08 pm (#82 of 145)

Thanks for pointing that out, Martha S! I can't believe I missed that!

I very much liked the train of Harry's thoughts at the Burrow as they all reflected on who might have betrayed their plans to evacuate Harry from Privet Dr....

"Harry glanced at Hagrid, who had just risked his own life to save Harry's...Hagrid whom he loved, whom he trusted, who had once been tricked into giving Voldemort crucial information in exchange for a dragon's egg...."

Harry then goes on to express his confidence that,if anyone had mistakenly let information slip out,that is was innocent and unintentional. I love the way this shows Harry's growing maturity....that he can recognize the weakness or flaw in a friend, and yet treasure what is golden about that friend, and that Harry will defend him from the suspicions of others.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 31, 2007 6:20 pm (#83 of 145)

Beautifully said, Freshwater. ".....treasure what is golden about that friend." I love that. :-)

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Jul 31, 2007 7:10 pm (#84 of 145)

I like that too, freshwater. Someone commented on the Snape thread that there are hardly any true role models in these books. I think you have just pointed out beautifully why Harry IS a true role model. NO ONE is perfect. JKR illustrates that very well. I have role models in my own life and not one of them is flaw-free. Harry has a temper, yes, but he is also loving, compassionate, loyal, and incredibly brave. He is able over and over to put aside his own needs for the good of others. He will always rush to the defense of a friend. A beautiful character, truly.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Jul 31, 2007 11:17 pm (#85 of 145)

Mom of 4 in serious lurker mode.
I PS/SS when the trio go into through the trapdoor, Hermione need to light a fire to defeat the Devil's Snare. She panics and say "but there's no wood" Ron responds "Have you gone mad are you a witch or not?

Loooved that line.

IN DH when Ron and Hermione come back out of the Chamber of secrets, in one of the battle scenes, Ron needs to light a fire, he starts that he needs wood. Hermione says to Ron "are you a wizard or not?". (I will have to find the direct quote)

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Aug 1, 2007 8:46 am (#86 of 145)

Ron didn't need to light a fire. He needed something to press the knot on the Whomping Willow. But I also loved the parallel to PS/SS!

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Aug 1, 2007 9:48 am (#87 of 145)

"...there are hardly any true role models in these books."

ARE THEY NUTS!!!!

Sorry...**deep breaths, slow movements**....sorry about the yelling, but really! This series overflows with great role models...none of them are perfect in every way (can't think of /anything/ more boring, can you?) but all have some deeply valuable attributes that anyone would do well to emulate....

DD: calmness in all situations, polite tone of voice and word choice despite his true feelings, looking at the larger picture while still monitoring the details,....I could go on and on.

Arthur Weasley: great father figure, participates in kid's enjoyment of adventures (F/G/R rescue H in the Ford Anglia), hardworking and dedicated in his job but still preserves personal integrity and values, curious about and appreciative of different ways of doing things (as muggles do)....

Harry: persistent, humble, modest, loving, generous,selfless, supportive,kind, bears up well under severe disapproval and peer pressure....we could be here all day so we'll just leave it here.

Remus: grace under pressure and long-term difficulties, caring, strong sense of integrity, selfless despite attraction to Tonks.....

McGonagall: high expectations, strict, consistent and predictable, inspires respect and affection in those under her authority....

I'm sure we could go on and on and on....do we need a new thread for this? Anyway.....**great whooshing exhale**...I feel better now.

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Aug 1, 2007 4:13 pm (#88 of 145)

Exactly how I felt when I read that, freshwater. I made some of the same points over on the Snape thread. If we're looking for perfect people we're in for a long wait. But I like your idea of a thread for this topic: Role Models in HP. Should we suggest it?

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Aug 1, 2007 10:45 pm (#89 of 145)

PatPat, thank you. Posting at 3:00am makes Maritza an in accurate girl. The quote is (ohh ohh an commercial for OoTP, what an unexpected pleasure)

"How- how are we going to get in?....-if we just had - Crookshanks again-"

"Crookshanks? wheezed Hermione,.... "Are you a wizard, or what?"

I was a H-G; R-H 'shipper right from the start. Some people have wondered what was the justification. I think lines like these are it.

Hermione's in PS was -build a fire? "but there's no wood"

A girl like Hermione, brilliant but in the face of imminent danger, she goes back to the basics and logic. She forgets about new and novel approach, deserves a boy like that Ron. After a while they rub off on each other. In DH, Ron is thinking of Hermione, which is why he mentions her cat.

- - - - - - - - - -
Celestina Warbeck - Aug 5, 2007 2:57 am (#90 of 145)

There wer soooo many moments... most of them of course have been covered on the Forum and i heartily agree with all of them! A few more that I can think of off-hand

"Always" That was where my eyes just welled up and just a few lines below when Snape is crying over Lily's letter, my tears also just started to flow! That was the most brilliant chapter!!

Molly CAPSLOCK!!! So reminiscent of a wounded tigress, who can get murderous to protect her cubs. Brilliant!!! And I hadn't seen that one coming. I never expected Molly to be the one to take on Bellatrix. I had always imagined it as Neville or even Harry, but when I read it, Molly just fit in so well!

Ron destroying the locket was also a wonderful portion. How Ron overcomes his inner demons with Harry's help was great. I was touched when Harry told Ron that he saw Hermione as a sister. Even though I was always a staunch R/H shipper, I never quite saw Harry and Hermione in that light, but it made sense. Both of them did not have siblings and filled that void for each other over the years. Their moments in the graveyard at Godric's Hollow were so telling!

One of my best moments was in Dumbledore's office after the war, when the only thing Harry finally uses the Elder Wand for was to repair his own. I smiled so much!!! Harry got his wand back!!! I guess it touched a cord because unlike everything/one else he had lost, like his parents, Sirius, Dumbledore and even Hedwig, he finally got one thing back! Of course it made me love the character so much when he chose to not use the Elder Wand at all. Definitely expected but a very well done moment.

- - - - - - - - - -
Joanna Lupin - Aug 5, 2007 6:47 am (#91 of 145)

I think I loved every single word in that book, but the most awesome thing was Harry growing to be the true leader. Every sticky moment shows us Harry's decision making.

I loved MOM chapters and Gringotts break-in - what would happen if Harry wasn't so quick-thinking?

Harry telling Aberforth that sometimes you cannot think about your own safety, that sometimes you've got to think about the greater good.

Potterwatch - I laughed so much!

And Neville - doesn't it just prove that Voldemort could have chosen either of them and he would have equally hard time?

Battle of Hogwarts - every single moment of it was pure gold!

I pray the movie-makers don't ruin this book. It is by far the best book, it got me howling for hours every time I've read it (3 times so far).

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Aug 5, 2007 10:39 am (#92 of 145)

I agree Joanna. It is quickly turning into my favorite, just overtaking PoA. A lot of people are complaining about how much was left out, but I think it was perfect. Always leave the reader wanting more. The emotional moments were brief, yet poignant, and the important things WERE wrapped up. Absolutely brilliant, IMO.

I, also, hope the movie-makers don't ruin this book. They've already ruined my previous favorite, PoA.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Aug 5, 2007 9:24 pm (#93 of 145)

That was Alfonso Caruon, IMHO, PatPat....those stupide shrunken heads....bah! If he'd left them out and put in just a few moment of Peeves --maybe Lupin casting "Wadi wasi!"-- then we might have ended up with Peeves in OotP, too: "Give her hell for us, Peeves!" and Peeves saluting the twins as they soar away on their brooms. **sigh**

- - - - - - - - - -
Snuffles - Aug 6, 2007 2:13 pm (#94 of 145)

Olivia
I loved everything Neville. That character rocks!

Snape's memories for me too. I knew that way way way down, that man had a heart!

Ron's reaction to his mum asking him to clean his room before the wedding. "And are they getting married in my bedroom? No! So why in the name of Merlin's saggy left....". This has me in stitches every time.

I cried when Dobby died and at his burial. Also, when Harry was asking his parents and Sirius if it hurts when you die.

In fact I just loved the whole book. I was so torn between wanting to leave the book alone and have the ignorance of not knowing what happens for a little bit longer, but once I had picked it up, I just couldn't put it down. *sigh*.

- - - - - - - - - -
Columbine Fairy - Aug 8, 2007 1:26 pm (#95 of 145)

I loved so much of this book! I missed Hogwarts, but in the end I had to accept that the story wouldn't have worked with the trio going back. Anyway some of my favourite moments:

The battle of Hogwarts - nothing got left out, even Trelawney found herself a use! Percy coming back - really choked me up! Kreacher's change of heart - who would have guessed? Auntie Muriel - "What is Xenolphilius Lovegood wearing? He looks like an omelette!" Cracks me up! The wedding/celebrating Teddy's birth - a couple of moments of normality in Harry's otherwise crazy life, it just made the story so much more real for me.

And how brilliant is Hermione? Having that bag packed, learning the protective charms, being ready to apparate at a moments notice and the getaway from the Loegood house? She saved them so many times!

And finally, Ron's comment: "Yeah, well food's one of the five exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration."

I could go on, but I think you guys have covered most of it anyway!

- - - - - - - - - -
NFla Barbara - Aug 8, 2007 3:12 pm (#96 of 145)

Maybe not my favorite "moment," but I absolutely loved Hermione's little beaded bag. How many other moms here read that and thought finally, someone who is carrying around even more than I am? Just today I was rummaging in mine to find a train ticket and my husband said 'what do you have in there, anyway, Phineas Nigellas' portrait?'

- - - - - - - - - -
Columbine Fairy - Aug 10, 2007 3:46 am (#97 of 145)

I also liked Harry running upstairs at the start to watch the Dursleys drive away.

- - - - - - - - - -
mysweetdar - Aug 10, 2007 5:28 am (#98 of 145)

Yes-yes, to all of you!!!! I loved everything you all mentioned. I also hope they don't mess up the movie....but it's gonna have to be at epic length, to fit it in....I want to see the elves charge....the RH kiss...dobby's death and funeral,Harry and DD at Kings Cross,Snape,aAberforth's patronus....Everything!!!! Hope they do it justice...

Thanks, Jo.

- - - - - - - - - -
M A Grimmett - Aug 10, 2007 8:27 am (#99 of 145)

I really loved how Harry found it in himself to get past Kreature's role in Sirius' death. He had to face up to Sirius' imperfections and faults and acknowledge the results of the poor treatment of Kreature.

For every Dobby who wants to be a free agent, there's a Kreature, who regards his service to his family as an honor. Hermione didn't quite get that emotional tie the elves can have with their families. I think Harry shows Hermione that it's quite possible to be a good master and care about the house-elf who serves you.

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Aug 10, 2007 11:40 am (#100 of 145)

Just wanted to say that my Mom just finished reading DH. I lent her my copy. She has read all of them but only one time. She likes HP, but is, in no way, a fanatic like me! But she said she thought this was the best one out of the seven, and she also thought it is one of the greatest books she has ever read! High praise as she has read A LOT of books. Some of her favorite things she said were Neville and Luna, the walk into the forest (she said she cried through the last third of the book), and Harry's conversation with Dumbledore at King's Cross (she loved when he called Harry a man). It was just great to get the thoughts from someone I greatly respect who is not really a major fan. It just confirmed to me what a wonderful book it is.
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Our Favorite Moments from Book Seven (Post 101 to 145)

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:03 am

freshwater - Aug 10, 2007 11:51 pm (#101 of 145)
I love how Harry begins to trust his own judgement --often going against the advice of others: use of "Expelliarmus!", for example-- and yet has the wisdom and humility to continue to examine his own behavior --as he did after telling Remus he should go home to Tonks and his baby instead of coming with them. This all shows Harry's growing maturity and confidence, and yet his willingness to reflect upon his own behavior and motivations......wonderful.

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Aug 11, 2007 8:14 am (#102 of 145)

I loved the entire Hogwarts part. Really. It felt like a great conclusion for the series. Though Capslock Molly and Neville decapitating Nagini were the highlights. Kreacher hitting Mundungus with a frying pan was also great, as was the joke about Snape running away from Shampoo.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Aug 11, 2007 9:30 am (#103 of 145)

Let it snow!
This has probably been mentioned (sorry, but I could only skim this thread) but one of my favorite parts was when Snape was dieing and he asked Harry to look at him. It didn't mean much to me at first but after I saw Snape's memories I realized that he wanted to look into Lily's eyes (via Harry) one last time before he died. That was really a tear-jerking moment for me.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Aug 12, 2007 8:12 am (#104 of 145)

I've been away from this thread for awhile, but I just wanted to send virtual (((hugs))) to freshwater and say thanks for your comments! You make me blush...

I can't remember if this got mentioned on this thread or not, but I loved Fred and George's comment when they first became "polyjuiced Harry"s -- "Wow! We're identical!"

And George's earlier comment "Well, there's that plan scuppered. Obviously there's no chance at all of us getting a bit of your hair unless you cooperate." Such a dry wit! I love those guys! (Loved, in Fred's case... )

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Aug 12, 2007 6:49 pm (#105 of 145)

Thanks for the hugs, Madam Pince...they are always appreciated!

One of my only disappointments with DH was the lack of F/G humor. What was there was good, but I would have liked to have more.

- - - - - - - - - -
Columbine Fairy - Aug 14, 2007 4:10 pm (#106 of 145)

I liked George's line about Muriel saying his ears were lopsided.

- - - - - - - - - -
Accio Sirius - Aug 16, 2007 7:04 am (#107 of 145)

Back to the old school Sirius
How about Ron's How to charm a witch guide book. So very funny.

- - - - - - - - - -
Columbine Fairy - Aug 16, 2007 11:56 am (#108 of 145)

Took him a while to get the hang of it though :-P

- - - - - - - - - -
Remi - Aug 17, 2007 6:18 pm (#109 of 145)

It's interesting how the more I read the books, different parts become my favorite.

The first read of DH for me was a hungry-devouring one; I read 15 hours non-stop through puffy eyes, swollen from crying, and with a heavy heart knowing that this would be the last time I'd get to read a new Harry Potter novel. The second read was slightly slower but just as eager, and this time my brain concentrated on wrapping itself around the various details. But listening to the audio version over a two-week period gave me a whole new perspective.

I must say that I am thoroughly enchanted by "The Forest Again." I think it contains some of the most beautiful, eloquent and powerful of Jo's writing. Harry realizing he must die, appreciating the miracle he was, reminiscing about the adventures in Hagrid's cabin, walking with his parents, Sirius & Lupin while his mind & body felt disconnected, "Stay close to me" ...

I cannot believe that I could've missed the beauty of this chapter before. Right now, it rivals "The Mirror of Erised" as one of my favorite in the series.

(So PatPat, you're mom is spot on!)

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Aug 17, 2007 6:35 pm (#110 of 145)

in The Silver Doe chapter:

Ron: That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was.

Harry: Things like that always sound a lot cooler than they really were. I've been trying to tell you that for years.

- - - - - - - - - -
John Bumbledore - Aug 17, 2007 7:09 pm (#111 of 145)

"Tempus edax rerum." [Time, the devourer of all things.] Ovid
Freshwater, I seem to remember a similar exchange between Sam and Frodo.

John Bumbledore <)B^D˜

- - - - - - - - - -
legolas returns - Aug 18, 2007 12:22 am (#112 of 145)

There is so much that I love in this book.

Chapter wise-Prince's tale, Forest again and Kings Cross are brilliant.

"Wow-we're identicle"-the twins after taking polyjuice potion. "I dunno, though, I think I'm still better looking"-Fred

I liked the song that Peeves sang

"We did it, webashed them, wee Potter's the one, And Voldy's gone mouldy, so now let'shave fun!"

He had just been having fun by being allowed to cause chaos and get death eaters.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Aug 19, 2007 11:33 am (#113 of 145)

John B., I love LotR, but I don't recall that interchange between Frodo and Sam....where/when did that occur?

Peeves...yep, he's ALL about having fun. Talk about a sad, sad loss in the movies by not including him.**sigh** Cauron could have included Peeves in PoA instead of all those distracting shots of Zonko's products, which really lend nothing to the story.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Aug 23, 2007 11:30 pm (#114 of 145)

HBP pg 274-275: Hermione was watching Ron fret over the fate of the Cattermoles, and there was such tenderness in her expression that Harry felt almost as if he had surprised her in the act of kissing him.

- - - - - - - - - -
tandaradei - Aug 27, 2007 6:39 pm (#115 of 145)

Reference Librarian

...[cut]..."What do you mean?"
"Well, I don't know how to break this to you," said Ron, "but I think they might have noticed we broke into Gringotts."...[cut]... >
DH,Ch27,p.348US

It's interesting in the extreme what people like most. My favorite part was Gringotts & post-Gringotts, as far as pure entertainment. For depth, I liked King's Cross. I can see Jo liking Ron's response to Peeves; but for me this scene (& what preceded) was best.
- - - - - - - - - -
TomProffitt - Aug 27, 2007 7:19 pm (#116 of 145)

Bullheaded empiricist
My favorite moment started about the time Harry left Privet Drive. The strength of the tension I felt in not knowing who was going to die when, who was under an Imperius and who wasn't, is unparalleled by any other novel I've read. When we climbed on our brooms to leave Little Whinging forever it was like being at the top of the first hill of a very tall roller coaster and the ensuing fall didn't end for an amazingly long time.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Aug 27, 2007 11:50 pm (#117 of 145)

Very well put, Tom P. I don't think you'll find anyone here who will disagree with you on this point.

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Aug 28, 2007 1:05 am (#118 of 145)

from the other side (of the Channel)
Yes, as you said Tom, we climbed on our brooms to leave Little Whinging forever! I was totally caught in action from this moment, too.

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Sep 1, 2007 7:06 pm (#119 of 145)

Once again, I agree with you Tom. Well said.

- - - - - - - - - -
legolas returns - Sep 3, 2007 10:54 am (#120 of 145)

I loved the Potterwatch section. It brought news to HRH (and to us) that was sad and spelled out the situation people were under and then the humor afterwards made me laugh. It was like a release in tension. Brilliant!

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Sep 3, 2007 9:46 pm (#121 of 145)

My absolute favorite moment in th HBP and possible in all of the seven books is the end when Harry thinks that what was coming next it would be fine he could face it, as long as he he knew he could have one more day with Ron and Hermione. (much more eloquent in the books)

Thinking about that tonight, I realized this was a wonderful set up for all of Deathly Hallows. Just about everything that happens, good or bad, Harry needs R-H to share, decipher and and make sense of. After Godric's Hallow harry knows that Hermione is family. Watching Ron struggle with the locket removes any barriers between them. They are brothers.

- - - - - - - - - -
maria cloos - Sep 4, 2007 11:44 am (#122 of 145)

My Goodness! How does one pick a favorite moment? Since my frantic first-read and my extremely slow and nitpicking second-read, I tend to just read my favorite parts (which still takes a few hours). I'll narrow it down to two: "Look...at...me." and "Albus Severus, you were named for two of the greatest headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I've ever known." Sorry the second one is just from memory. Exhausted as I was after the first read, I couldn't help but give a watery smile after finishing the Epilogue.

- - - - - - - - - -
John Bumbledore - Sep 12, 2007 1:27 pm (#123 of 145)

"Tempus edax rerum." [Time, the devourer of all things.] Ovid

Freshwater:

in The Silver Doe chapter:

Ron: That makes me sound a lot cooler than I was.

Harry: Things like that always sound a lot cooler than they really were. I've been trying to tell you that for years.
I was thinking about the chapter between the crossroads and the stairs at Cirith Ungol.

Sam is talking about the old stories and how someday there would likely be a story about Frodo and his journey.

Frodo says that Sam has left out one of the chief characters, "Samwise the Brave"

Sam, object that he was not joking as he thinks was Frodo's meaning.

Well, that was the exchange between Sam and Frodo that Ron's and Harry's comments brought to my mind.

- - - - - - - - - -
Remi - Sep 13, 2007 11:52 am (#124 of 145)

Nice catch, John. I'm a huge LOTR fans - how could I have missed that?

- - - - - - - - - -
Columbine Fairy - Sep 13, 2007 4:24 pm (#125 of 145)

John, I was also reminded of that LOTR scene while reading the book. Frodo says "You've forgotten one of the main characters, Samwise the Brave - Frodo wouldn't have got very far without him". It's very similar to the relationship between Harry and Ron.

I also think Sam says something along the lines of, "the difference between the people who have stories written about them and those that don't, is that the ones who do had plenty of chances to turn back, only they didn't". There's a very strong parallel there with HP and the trio, I think.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Sep 14, 2007 4:41 pm (#126 of 145)

Excellent connection, John B....I hadn't caught that. Thanks for explaining it more fully for me!

- - - - - - - - - -
wynnleaf - Sep 14, 2007 5:44 pm (#127 of 145)

Probably one of my favorite moments was when Dumbledore had been injured by the ring curse and Snape was trying to save his life and was so obviously worried, but all the while he's berating Dumbledore for doing something so stupid as to put that ring on. It was soooo Snape to do that! Anger and insults are his default reaction in the face of any stress, including one of the few people he cares about in danger of dying.

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Sep 15, 2007 9:29 am (#128 of 145)

Doing one of the things I love best . . .
When Tonks is going on and on about what a great job Ron did foghting off the DE's and the like after leaving Little Whinging Hermione says, "Really?. . ." and Ron replies, "Always with a note of surprise. . "

Later when they are all at the wedding and Ron comments on how beautiful Hermione looks, she says, "Always with a note of surprise Ronald."

I love it! Can't you just see her little smile and Ron looking at Harry all confused?

- - - - - - - - - -
Remi - Sep 17, 2007 3:13 pm (#129 of 145)

Thanks for reminding me about those little moments, Sheila. They're the ones that make the whole series so special Smile Like Ron mentioning that Griphook could give Mrs. Weasley lessons, or Hermione using muffliato with a simple "times change" remark, or Aberforth insistence that Harry's stag patronus was actually his goat patronus. I can go on and on and on .....

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Sep 18, 2007 5:27 am (#130 of 145)

You're right Remi. The book is full of them!

When Kreacher tells the tri he iwll have steak and kidney pie for them when they return form the MoM and Ron says, "Bless him."

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Sep 21, 2007 12:32 pm (#131 of 145)

. . when listening to the cd's of DH you get to the part where LV is in the Potter's home. He has already killed James, and is trying to get to Harry but Lily is in his way. LV says for her to move and she will "have nothing to fear."

This just highlights LV's limited view of life and love. He doesn't realize that the thing Lily fears the most is losing her family. What she fear the most has already started happening.

LV just doesn't get that.

- - - - - - - - - -
Joanna Lupin - Sep 21, 2007 2:27 pm (#132 of 145)

Well, he does think that death is the worst possible thing, limited, cowardly moron.

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Sep 21, 2007 3:05 pm (#133 of 145)

Well said Joanna Lupin!

- - - - - - - - - -
Kasey - Oct 6, 2007 1:59 pm (#134 of 145)

Veterinarian slowly going insane
No question - my fave moment - When Sev produces his doe Patronus and Dumbledore gets teary eyed.

"After all this time?"

"Always," said Snape.

Has there ever been a more fitting and poignant summary of unrequited love than this?

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Oct 7, 2007 9:25 pm (#135 of 145)

I think I'm going to like this new chick, Kasey. Welcome to the Forum!

I can't decide which I like better, the one Kasey said or "Look...at...me...." They both do me in every time.

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Oct 8, 2007 12:42 am (#136 of 145)

I am joining to the club for both lines : "Look...at...me...." "Always". The summary of Snape's love story?

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Oct 8, 2007 7:04 am (#137 of 145)

Look at me? Favourite moment? Favourite???

- - - - - - - - - -
kingdolohov - Oct 8, 2007 8:17 am (#138 of 145)

My favorite moment is just the whole battle leading up to Harry's final confrontation with Tom.

-The centaurs joining the fight

-Neville breaking the body-bind curse and killing Nagini

-The thestrals and Buckbeak fighting the giants with Grawp

-Harry taking out DEs from under the cloak and seeing them get trampled

-The house-elves swarming and stabbing

-Voldemort's duel (fighting Kingsley and McGonagall, the most powerful wizard and witch on the good side, shows his power, and Slughorn in his pajamas showing where his loyalties lie)

-Molly of course

-Flitwick finally getting to show what he can do

-Hagrid taking out Macnair; how appropriate

Neville's grandma defeating the Lestrange brothers would have made it perfect, but you can't have everything.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Oct 8, 2007 1:04 pm (#139 of 145)

Yep, Orion, favorite. I've been waiting for many years to find out Snape's real story. I "knew" all along Voldy would get the axe, and I "knew" Harry wouldn't die, but I didn't know what was up with Snape's backstory. I waited a long time for that.

I suppose it's not "favorite" in the sense that it made me happy, because I really didn't want Snape to die although I feared he would. So, yes, in that sense it was really really sad, and thus if you think of "favorite" as being something happy, then no it wasn't that. But I just thought it was pretty masterful writing on JKR's part to have the character of Snape wanting his last moments on earth to be looking into "Lily's eyes" -- sort of explaining the whole importance of "you have your mother's eyes" throughout the series and how conflicted it must've made Snape feel all those years to see his beloved's eyes in his most hated rival's face. All that in three words. Pretty good stuff.

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Oct 8, 2007 1:22 pm (#140 of 145)

It was a joke, I understand what you want to say, Madam Pince. I first read over that line and didn't take much notice of it because I hadn't yet joined the forum and hadn't yet read lots of Wynnleaf posts so I wasn't a Snape fan yet. Later I reread DH and thought the line and the whole Prince's chapter was an intentional, and very effective tearjerker. That was the first post I wrote, I think, something about a gigantic over the top tearjerker with extra whipped cream and a cherry on top or so. I imagined how JKRowling sat there in her cafe with her notebook and leaned back with a grim smile and thought "I'm going to knock the stuffing out of them with that one!" It didn't have such a devastating effect on me like the Sirius thing. The best moments in DH are the scenes in the tent, when they sit around. The other books don't have many of these, there is much too much action. There has to be quiet sometimes. There has to be going to the supermarket and buying Spaghetti and tinned fruit, and quarreling. Looseness.

- - - - - - - - - -
PatPat - Oct 8, 2007 5:03 pm (#141 of 145)

Orion, I am SOOOOO glad you said that about the camping scenes. I know a lot of people didn't like them, but I thought they were great. Everything doesn't have to be action all the time. And if you look back at the scenes, we gain a lot of information and a lot of character development from those moments. And I think JKR does an awesome job of showing us how frustrating it must have been for the trio during that time period. I was able to virtually "feel" Harry's anger and frustration. Wonderful.

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Oct 9, 2007 12:40 am (#142 of 145)

Orion: (...)because I hadn't yet joined the forum and hadn't yet read lots of Wynnleaf posts so I wasn't a Snape fan yet. LOL! What the Forum can do!

Luna Logic: I am joining to the club for both lines : "Look...at...me...." "Always". The summary of Snape's love story?
Orion : Look at me? Favourite moment? Favourite???
I should have said they were my favorite lines in DH, those I will remember when thinking to that book... always!
My favorite moments (yes, it is the true subject of the topic!) are ...the camping scenes (with the life at 12 Grimmauld Place) - I wish we had more of the two.
You have well expressed why those scenes are great, PatPat and Orion!

- - - - - - - - - -
wynnleaf - Oct 9, 2007 5:33 pm (#143 of 145)

Nice to know I helped somebody like Snape a little better!

One of my favorite moments was when Dumbledore had almost gotten himself killed with the ring and Snape was trying to save his life. The reason I love that scene is because of Snape being so worried and trying to save Dumbledore, and being so furious with him at the same time. It's just so like Snape, whose default emotion for stress seems to be anger, to want to berate Dumbledore while he's saving him. Just goes to show that Snape being angry at someone or berating them isn't necessarily a sign that he dislikes them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Oct 10, 2007 7:35 am (#144 of 145)

Edited by Oct 10, 2007 7:39 am
For me, someone saying "my favourite moment is Look At Me" is a bit like when you say "the best moment of my life was the birth of my daughter", when in fact what you probably want to say is "it was the moment one hour later when I had stopped screaming and writhing in agony and puking all over the cables of the medical devices". (A friend of mine did that.) And life at 12 GP is certainly even better than the camping scenes! I WANT that house.

That is to say, Look At Me is a wondrously beautiful line and a real killer. The whole Prince's chapter is breathtaking, too. I think I know exactly how it was constructed, but still it charges like a bull.

- - - - - - - - - -
painting sheila - Oct 18, 2007 11:23 am (#145 of 145)

I live the entire chapter when Harry realizes what he has to do and is walking toward the Forbidden Forest. He notices things about the people he sees, Neville, Collin, Ginny, etc that he may have taken for granted if he weren't sure he would never see them again.

Even the description of Hagrid's hut is very touching - "scrabbling" perfect word for the scratching at the door by a beloved dog.

Very well written sequence I think.
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Re: Our Favorite Moments from Book Seven

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top