HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV)

+3
Puck
Julia H.
Potteraholic
7 posters

Page 29 of 41 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35 ... 41  Next

Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Empty Story #140

Post  Julia H. Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:26 pm

; and the cast iron cauldron

I think that was the goal. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670

I'm curious about the Featured Story of the Week. Good idea!

PAH, thanks for mentioning it, I may indeed need help with the reposting - I haven't got round to continuing it for a long time.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:45 pm

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     that I asked him                 4 words b/c I used 6 before.

Okay, I'm a bit flummoxed, as I thought turning the sheet into a toilet seat was a misstep in the process of transfiguring it into something else. And I wasn't sure what to follow-up the cauldron with... but I've only got to use 4 words, so... hope this works!

After a few comments about the 2nd 'FSOTW', who'd like to select the next featured story?

Just a reminder, folks, to post the posts left for each student's report. Thanks! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

Julia, just let me know in a PM or an email. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670

post left
for Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Smilie_neville_longbottom's
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:35 pm

to try again to produce

OK, I thought Neville should have transfigured a sheet into a cauldron, but (perhaps because of some unlucky associations Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818) he produced a toilet seat instead, and perhaps McGonagall gave him some more sheets (or turned the toilet seat back into one), and finally Neville did manage to turn the sheet into a cauldron (not necessarily in the same class). I thought "he got there in the end" meant that in the end he successfully turned a sheet into the required object (with persistent practice perhaps).

I'm not sure that my five words work now, so feel free to transfigure them into something better, but I wanted to clarify what I meant. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1242326132
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Empty story #140

Post  Verity Weasley Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:47 pm

eventually materialised. His written work

I'll re-read the new featured story of the week and be back with comments later.

13 posts left for Neville's report Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2447527733
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     is full of relevant information                 and... ? but...?

Julia H. wrote:I think that was the goal. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670
Ohhhh, I see, Julia. The italicized 'that' is what threw me, I realize. I'll update the story, and see if anything needs to be transfigured. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

Okay, Verity. Looking forward to it!

post left

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Betelgeuse Black Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 am

especially with regard to plant transfiguration

I used toilet seat since it would be a bit embarrassing and funny. Cauldrons aren't funny unless they are leaky and thin bottomed. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2775603007

Remember the the wizard Barrufino (sp?) who said f instead of s and wound up with a buffalo on his chest? What was he supposed to be saying? We don't know! Some things are better left to the imagination.

Off to read the next story! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1205762161
BB
Betelgeuse Black
Betelgeuse Black
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:36 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     , but needs to be organized                

Spoiler:

Okay, BB. Looking forward to your comments! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

Just another friendly reminder to post the 'posts left' update for each report. They are about 25 posts long. The updates help us stay on track, and not go overly long, and we usually try to get to the behavior paragraph about nowish/soonish. Thanks! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670

post left
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Betelgeuse Black Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 am

better to avoid future

I just noticed I posted 6 words so I followed up with 4 in this one. Sorry about that.

post left for Neville's report
(sorry, I don't have the formatting or Neville's smiley)
BB

Betelgeuse Black
Betelgeuse Black
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     lapses in purpose and composition.                

Thanks for catching that, BB! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508 And for anyone who'd like to use Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Smilie_neville_longbottom, here's the code for it:

Code:
[img]http://www.butterbier.de/Icons/smilie_neville_longbottom.gif[/img]

Now, on to Neville's behavior section. Hmmm... I wonder what Minne McG will highlight? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 266347159

post left
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:19 am

Mr Longbottom is generally attentive

I've had a bit of a crazy day but I finally had a chance to read the new featured story of the week. Great choice PAH! It really was a unique story, and must have one of the most unusual first five words of all our stories. It was a fun story, and all the Australian details really add depth and interest. Some of the phrasing was a little clumsy in places, but in other places, the writing was very eloquent. I loved the comedy of the splinching incident and the way this was used in the conclusion of the story was a nice touch. At one point, I thought we might have strayed into Narnia with the dragon wranglers Peter and Edmund! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1003735042

7 posts left for Neville's report Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2447527733
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Empty The 'Featured Story of the Week'

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:05 am

The 'Featured Story of the Week'

The 'Featured Story of the Week' is an idea that Verity Weasley first introduced here: "The Five Words archives are a wonderful record of our years on this forum. It's nice to look back and remember some of our earlier stories. One of my favourites remains the one with Luna and her father, but I also love the ones where we have given our creativity free rein, such as the special edition of the Daily Prophet. Maybe we could have a 'Featured Story of the Week' or something like that, where we take turns to choose a story and recommend it to our fellow Five Worders?"

She then later added to it here: "I was just thinking that we have a wonderful store of past stories, just sitting there in the archives now. I thought it could be fun if each week, one of us current posters chose a story from the archives as our featured story of the week, and recommended our fellow posters read it. We could link to it (PAH, you'd have to remind some of us how to do that! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1437562208 ) and make a few comments about why we chose it, then others could comment after they'd read it. It seems a shame to have all those great stories just sitting there feeling neglected, that's all."

Potteraholic and Mona expressed an interest in this idea, and as the current group of Five Worders is a cozy little group, it only takes one or two folks' feedback for an idea to be put into action! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670

The 'Featured Story of the Week' comments for each featured story will be collected and posted in a separate post, and included as a link in the Five Words Archives via an indexed list.

* Five Words - Main Archives * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - 'Featured Story of the Week' #1

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:11 am

image c/o www.stopbigmedia.com/
potterwatch
Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Daily_prophet

'Featured Story of the Week' Comments for Story #128, Volume XIII,
Potty Five Words: "The Daily Prophet, 10th March 2008"

This story was featured during the writing of Story #140. It was the 1st 'Featured Story of the Week'. All times listed are EST.

- Verity Weasley, Aug 29, 2011 12:14 am: I LOVE this story! I think it is one of the best examples of why Five Words is so much fun. Just the sheer versatility of our writing styles and genres encapsulated in this one 'story' is great - everything from features to advertisements. This was also our first attempt at horoscopes, which I think was a great success, and I love the very different tones of the Letters to the Editor. It also goes without saying (but I'll say it) that it all looks a hundred times better thanks to PAH's magnificent HTML skills.

- Potteraholic, Aug 29, 2011 7:51 am: Great choice for our first 'Featured Story of the Week'. Like you, as a reader, I loved the variety of the pieces in this 'story' and the humor. I loved the little nods to canon here and there. From a writing standpoint, I liked writing the shorter pieces best, since there was less we had to keep track of during the writing of those pieces. I remember that writing the 'Vampire' story was a bit Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1242326132 ing at times, but, like most Five Words stories, it worked out in the end. I think writing another issue of The Daily Prophet in our next volume is something we should consider. Now that I know how to do all that coding, I don't want to forget! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1003735042 (And looking for the images was fun, too.

- Verity Weasley, Sept 13, 2011 9:19 am: It really was a great story!

- Betelgeuse Black Sept 13, 2011 4:23 pm: I'd like to thank Verity for the referral to the FSOTW. I especially liked the portions about Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and their actions. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 3123246341

The formatting and pictures were very nice! (Thanks, PAH.)

- Potteraholic, Sept 13, 2011 5:19 pm: I had to re-read the DP to see where Mr. and Mrs. Weasley (Arthur and Molly) appeared in that issue, and then I got it... you meant Ron and Hermione! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1437562208

- Mona, Sept 15, 2011 12:14 am: Fun to write and a joy to read, and all greatly enhanced by PAH's wonderful formatting and illustrations. What more can I say? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670

* Five Words – Volume 15 Index * 

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 am; edited 5 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - 'Featured Story of the Week' #2

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:15 am

'Featured Story of the Week' Comments for Story #64, Volume VI,
Potty Five Words: "Dean and Seamus' Strange Aussie Excursion"

This story was featured during the writing of Story #140. It was the 2nd 'Featured Story of the Week'. All times listed are EST.

- Potteraholic, Sept 13, 2011 5:19 pm: I almost picked a "Minnie and Auggie adventure" because of our current report, but then thought of the first specifically 'buddy' (only 2 pals as opposed to the trio) stories we wrote here on Five Words. This story took 2 characters we know reasonably well and plopped them smack dab in the middle of a new location with new dangers and new characters. There was very little canon that had to be adhered to in the story, since it was set in Australia, except for the inclusion of an Australian dragon and some canon spells that were used. It was fast-paced, funny, entertaining, and there were liberal references to Australian culture that according to Verity, who's read the story before, were very accurate. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670 I loved how we hinted at Seamus' trouble with spells sometimes with his splinching mishap. This was a very fun story to participate in, since there were so very many opportunities to let our creativity have free rein/reign?, and at 1,325 words, proves that Five Words stories don't have to be long to be good.

- Verity Weasley, Sept 14 10:19 am: Great choice PAH! It really was a unique story, and must have one of the most unusual first five words of all our stories. It was a fun story, and all the Australian details really add depth and interest. Some of the phrasing was a little clumsy in places, but in other places, the writing was very eloquent. I loved the comedy of the splinching incident and the way this was used in the conclusion of the story was a nice touch. At one point, I thought we might have strayed into Narnia with the dragon wranglers Peter and Edmund! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1003735042

- Mona, Sept 15, 2011 12:14 am: I think I'm not a great fan of action stories, though it may have helped if I had taken part in the writing of it! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1437562208 I liked Azi's unusual opening words, and the end was very nice. And yes, it was a good story!

* Five Words – Volume 15 Index * 

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:57 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     in class during lessons, but he can                

Maybe something in this section about Trevor, to make the report even more Neville-specific? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1003735042

Okay, re: the earlier sentence, where something may have needed to be transfigured Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508, I made 2 changes, which are hopefully self-explanatory, and keep us on track with the word count:

Mr. Longbottom got there in the end; and the cast iron cauldron that I asked him to try again to produce, eventually materialized. His written work is full of relevant, {interesting} information especially with regard to plant transfiguration...

I've posted the comments for our first 2 'FSOTW'. If you haven't posted yours yet, for either story, never fear! I can always edit in your comments after you post them! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670 Looking forward to reading some more thoughts!

Verity, I believe the first 'Narnia' movie was released when that story was written, hence the names that I contributed. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818

EDIT: story update #4

EDIT #2: Changed 'in class' to 'during lessons'. Reason explained here.

post left

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:35 pm

get distracted, especially when his

post left
for Neville's

Last edited by Mona on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:56 pm

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     his toad, Trevor, just happens                

Page 49! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 266347159

post left

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:34 pm

to join him in class!

PAH, you repeated 'his' at the start of your post, so you should take 6 words next time. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

3 posts left for Neville's report Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2447527733
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:29 pm

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     Mr. Longbottom is steadfast and diligent                

Left it open in case someone wanted to add something perhaps preceded by a comma, if I may make a suggestion. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818

Thanks, Verity. 6 words it is! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

Whose report should we write next? Seamus' or Dean's? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2447527733 Then we get to work on the Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2741297909 . Fun! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670

EDIT: 'in class' appears at both the start and end of the last sentence, so I am changing the first 'in class' (in my post) to 'during lessons' since I don't think Minnie McG would leave it like that, after a quick revision. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818

Have a look...
Spoiler:

post left
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:14 am

, and can make rapid progress

Spoiler:

I'm going to read the featured story now, and will report back. Smile
post left
for Neville's

-------------------------------------

EDIT: "The Daily Prophet" - Fun to write and a joy to read, and all greatly enhanced by PAH's wonderful formatting and illustrations. What more can I say? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2222139670

"Dean and Seamus' Strange Aussie Excursion" - Umm...I think I'm not a great fan of action stories, though it may have helped if I had taken part in the writing of it! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1437562208 I liked Azi's unusual opening words, and the end was very nice. And yes, it was a good story!

---------------------

I think I'm not very good at reviewing stories. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1437562208

BTW, what's the meaning of 'Toohey’s best'?

Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:51 am

with continued effort and application.

Mona, Tooheys Best is an Australian beer. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 1003735042

0 posts left for Neville - now on to Seamus or Dean. I'll leave it to the next poster to decide. Ooh, the suspense... Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:00 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     if he overcomes his anxieties.

DEAN THOMAS - Mr. Thomas is

Cross-post! Took too long with my comments, but I like your words better, Verity. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

Thanks for your comments, Mona! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508 You did splendidly, no worries. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 3735003615

As Verity said, 'Toohey's best' is an Australian beer. When that story was written, Columbine Fairy (remember her?) used to Five Word a lot. (She was an Aussie living in the UK at the time.) I wanted to make some reference to an Australian beer, to add more local color Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818, asked about two that I knew of (Carling and Foster's) and CF informed be that Toohey's was better. So Toohey's it was! I wish I had a way to contact CF and try to lure her back to Five Words... alas, earwax! She stopped Five Wording ages ago. Hope she's doing well!

Mona, what would be good choices if the story was set in India? I know of Kingfisher and a local brew called Arlem. What would you recommend? drunkenPotty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

post left
for Dean's
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:09 am

a lively and enthusiastic student

"Lively" = teacher's code for hyperactive Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818

"Enthusiastic" = teacher's code for disruptive Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818

Singha is the beer of choice in Thailand. drunken Not that I'm a beer drinker. I wish I was - it's much cheaper than wine!

23 posts left for Dean's report Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2447527733
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:17 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     . He has made solid progress                

lol! Verity, I didn't realize Dean was such a handful! Academically, I had the impression that Dean was a better-than-average student, but not a bookworm, or very ambitious... hence my words.

Singha... hmmm... by any chance is there a lion anywhere in the logo? In India, I think 'singh' means 'lion' in either Hindi or Punjabi. I wonder if it's got a similar meaning in Thai?

post left
for
Dean's
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:29 am

this year through a combination

LOL PAH. I kind of see Dean and Seamus as a kind of double act and I imagine they both get into a bit of mischief in class from time to time. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2752390508

Yes, there is a very elaborate lion logo on Singha beer.

21 posts left for Dean's report Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 2447527733
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:33 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Minerv10     of scholarship, practice, and luck!                

'luck' ... my attempt to refer to being Seamus' partner during lessons, given his track record with spell accuracy. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 464751818

Re: 'singha', language is so fascinating!

Okay, off to do a bit of bikeriding... I'm trying to get a bit more exercise into my routine this year! Let's see how it goes!

EDIT: Had Seamus down as 'Sean'... huh? LOL!

post left
for
Dean's

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 29 Empty Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 41 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 35 ... 41  Next