HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JKR - A Year in the Life

Go down

JKR - A Year in the Life Empty JKR - A Year in the Life

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:47 am

JKR - A Year in the Life

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. At that time, this thread was still set in the "New Discussions Threads Not Approved or Placed" folder of the WC forum. Elanor

JustJude - Jan 7, 2008 4:00 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Feb 5, 2008 11:04 pm
In the UK last week, a tv program aired about JKR - a year in the life. She talked about the futures of lots of the characters post-Deathly Hallows - who married who, what their children were named etc.

She talked about Harry, all the Weasleys and Luna - but not Neville! Anyone have an inkling as to whether Neville marries, what he does etc. beyond becoming a teacher at Hogwarts? Do you think he becomes Head of Gryffindor house?

ps Sorry if this appears in the wrong place, am not sure where to post my musings.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR - A Year in the Life Empty JKR - A Year in the Life (Post 1 to 25)

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:48 am

zelmia - Jan 7, 2008 4:02 pm (#1 of 25)
Oh! And that's a bad miss!
She has said in other interviews that Neville marries Hannah Abbott, who becomes the landlady of the Leaky Cauldron. Apart from that, I have nothing further to contribute on the Neville front.

Any idea when this will be broadcast in the US?

- - - - - - - - - -
JustJude - Jan 7, 2008 4:04 pm (#2 of 25)

Sorry, no idea if/when it will be broadcast in the US - it's in the news section of her website, but no mention of a non-UK broadcast.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jan 7, 2008 5:20 pm (#3 of 25)

Join us for the Philosopher's Stone Watch-A-Long
I'm utterly surprised it's not on YouTube yet. I would have thought a British fan would have recorded it, put it straight up and emailed the link to Leaky and Mugglenet.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jan 8, 2008 7:44 am (#4 of 25)

Liz, could there be some sort of legal issue about that? I have seen a lot of things on YouTube, but could her stuff be copyrighted? I saw the clips I could find, but I was unable to see the whole thing. I'd like to find it somewhere.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jan 8, 2008 8:18 am (#5 of 25)

I suppose that is possible. If so, though, it probably means that they are planning to broadcast it internationally, otherwise why not let it be put on YouTube?

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jan 8, 2008 9:57 am (#6 of 25)

Librarian
All of it is copyrighted, at least by US laws. Anyone who put it on YouTube would be violating copyright. I suspect that most commercially produced things on YouTube are not there with permission.

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Jan 8, 2008 10:17 am (#7 of 25)

Actually, on the day after the show, it was on youtube because I've seen part of it there. I haven't had the time to watch it all though then and now it is not there anymore.

However, I entered "Rowling ITV" in the search function of youtube and found a 9 minutes video that seems to come from the show (I haven't watched it all yet either: just searched and came back here to post as I was sure I had seen the original one there some days ago).. It's in English with Italian subtitles, maybe the copyright on this one is different?

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jan 8, 2008 11:16 am (#8 of 25)

The clip is probably one of the ones that were officially released.

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Jan 8, 2008 12:34 pm (#9 of 25)

Yes, it must be the reason I'm afraid. I wish I had watched it when it was still online. Let's hope we can all watch it soon.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jan 8, 2008 8:54 pm (#10 of 25)

The eyes are the windows to the soul...
Yeah. Like we all hope we can read Beedle the Bard soon...

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jan 9, 2008 4:19 pm (#11 of 25)

Well at least we have the summaries and reviews of that. The documentary will almost certainly be broadcasted internationally. I think I've already heard of it airing somewhere other than Britain, but I can't remember where. Or did I dream that?

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 10, 2008 8:27 pm (#12 of 25)

I caught a repeat presentation of this. The flat in which JKR lived pre-HP would be considered a palace to many, many people around the world. How fortunate we are when that apartment is considered small and rundown.

ETA: I don't mean this sarcastically, I am truly grateful.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 11, 2008 7:43 am (#13 of 25)

I have not seen this particular presentation (I'm not sure if it's aired in the U.S. yet?), but I saw another similar one a couple years ago where JKR went back to that flat (cue dramatic music ***"...for the first time in X years... come along with us as famed author Jo Rowling returns to her squalid roots..."***) type of thing.

I remember that I thought the same thing... "It's not all that bad." It was clear that returning there was uncomfortable for her and that she was emotional about the memories of what I'm sure was a difficult time (difficult emotionally rather than where she was living, I mean.) I believe she said in that clip something along the lines of "...they've fixed this up a bit since I was here," so maybe that's part of it, too.

I suppose it would feel very odd to return to a place you'd lived before when you've come so far and your life has changed so much, particularly if you've been trying quite hard to firmly close that chapter of your life.

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 11, 2008 8:19 am (#14 of 25)

Oh yeah, I agree about the emotional aspect of the return to that apartment, but I've also heard (from previous interviews) how she lived in a tiny flat and from what I saw, an apartment smaller than that would be great for many people. In fact, the apartment I spent my early childhood in seems to be smaller than JKR's old place - although we did live a very tidy existence in it.

A girl in Toronto often complained about how hard it was to grow up as one of five children in a two bedroom apartment. Then she went to do charity work in 'developing countries' and returned with a new appreciation of her life: She lived in a home with electricity, plumbing, a bathtub with shower, etc., and she had a free education, the ability to work, acquire a post-secondary school education and improve upon the things she always took for granted.

Back to JKR ... maybe the new tenants have also decorated the place better? The smallest living space can look great if it's done up well, and JKR wasn't exactly hoping she'd have to live there long-term. That flat was her battlefield and for her it holds unbelievably emotional memories, but on its own it's nothing to cry over.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 11, 2008 2:15 pm (#15 of 25)

...on its own it's nothing to cry over.

Exactly.

But compare it to the castle in Scotland where she lives now (I just saw a picture of it recently; can't remember where.) Wow! That place is big as... a castle. It looks lovely from the outside -- beautiful pastoral setting surrounded by herds of sheep. Gorgeous.

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 11, 2008 2:51 pm (#16 of 25)

I know, I'd love to live on a huge patch of land as well.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verity Weasley - Jul 9, 2008 3:58 pm (#17 of 25)

Just letting all the Australian forumers know that 'A Year in the Life' will be broadcast in Australia on Channel Seven this Sunday 13th July at 6.30pm. I can't wait!!!

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Aug 9, 2008 10:44 am (#18 of 25)

On the 2001 documentary "Harry Potter and Me" they took her back to her old flat too, but it was a different (smaller) one. I guess she lived in more than one place. When she walked in the door of this one she was amazed because it looked really nice. She said, "People often say to me, 'How did you do it? How did you raise a baby and write a book?' and the answer is I didn't do housework for four years. I am not Superwoman. Living in squalar, that was the answer." I suppose the flat we saw in A Year In the Life was also in a similar state when she lived there.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quinn Crockett - Jul 17, 2009 10:23 am (#19 of 25)

"Yes! I'm impugning a continent!"
This was finally broadcast here in the US last night. It was pretty lame, though, because it had been so watered down by the US broadcasters. First, instead of just running the full documentary in its entirety, they bowdlerized it into a sort of magazine show, showing only selected parts of it, and inserting a Mary Hart-ish host to fill in the gaps. Probably was kind of interesting to the casual fan, but for people here, everything in this show would have been old news.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jul 17, 2009 12:13 pm (#20 of 25)

I remember having seen this before ... or at least parts of it. Is it online somewhere?

- - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Jul 17, 2009 12:17 pm (#21 of 25)

Ravenclaw Pony
Either parts of this were recycled from something else or I have seen parts before. There were several things that were not new, they had been aired at some point. The misty eyes back at the old flat is just one of them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jul 17, 2009 1:53 pm (#22 of 25)

I think I watched it in segments on Leaky, several months or maybe even a year ago. I think the entire thing is now on You.tube ... in segments.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quinn Crockett - Jul 17, 2009 2:08 pm (#23 of 25)

"Yes! I'm impugning a continent!"
Well, I hadn't seen it before on television. Maybe I missed it the first time around. I don't usually watch network tv. But yeah, there wasn't anything new here.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jul 17, 2009 6:12 pm (#24 of 25)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
I was touched by her tears in the apartment when she saw her HP books in the bookcase. She had really realized her dream to be a writer and to see her finished work there in the place where she lived and where HP began. How far she has come and what an amazing journey!

- - - - - - - - - -
Gerald Costales - Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm (#25 of 25)

Just watched it. Here are the links.

J. K. Rowling- "A Year in the Life" Part 1 (Elizabeth Vargus Documentary ABC NEWS-HD)

- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

J. K. Rowling- "A Year in the Life" Part 2 (Elizabeth Vargus Documentary ABC NEWS-HD)

J. K. Rowling- "A Year in the Life" Part 3 (Elizabeth Vargus Documentary ABC NEWS-HD)

J. K. Rowling- "A Year in the Life" Part 4 (Elizabeth Vargus Documentary ABC NEWS-HD)

J. K. Rowling- "A Year in the Life" Part 5 (Elizabeth Vargus Documentary ABC NEWS-HD)

J. K. Rowling- "A Year in the Life" Part 6 (Elizabeth Vargus Documentary ABC NEWS-HD)

Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down