The Numero of Wands

Go down

The Numero of Wands Empty The Numero of Wands

Post  Elanor on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 am

The Numero of Wands

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. At that time, this thread was still set in the "New Discussions Threads Not Approved or Placed" folder of the WC forum. Elanor

thefreezingflame - Apr 23, 2008 10:04 pm
Edited by Kip Carter May 9, 2008 4:14 am
Beneath all the magic and the mysteries of the Harry Potter saga there is a hidden number system forming the very foundation upon which the entire story is marvelously constructed.

Consider the wands of Harry Potter and his father, James Potter.

Names-----------Wand’s length in inches

Harry Potter------------11

James Potter------------11

Just take a second and observe the above table.

The first thing we would note from the above table is that both Harry Potter and James Potter have wands of equal sizes 11 inches.

Here is the unnoticed part…Doesn’t the names of Harry Potter and James Potter seems to be equal in length? [Number of alphabets in Harry Potter and James Potter]

On counting the number of the alphabets in Harry Potter we get 11, surprisingly we get the same number for James Potter too. Isn’t 11 the wand length of both Harry Potter and James Potter?

Names------------Wand’s length in inches-----Number of alphabets

Harry Potter--------------11-----------------------11

James Potter--------------11-----------------------11

Could this be a mere coincidence? [The wand length being equal to the number of alphabets in the name of the wand’s owner] The Harry Potter saga wasn’t created on a single day; it took [seventeen] years to complete her work. Everything is carefully planned and executed in a predefined manner. To make things simpler she has adopted simple patterns like the one above, to form the fascinating jigsaw puzzles. If you still do not believe in the wand pattern just check this table…

Names------------Wand’s length in inches-----Number of alphabets

Harry Potter----------------11---------------------11

James Potter----------------11---------------------11

Lily Potter-----------------10 ¼-------------------10

Viktor Krum-----------------10 ¼-------------------10

Lord Voldemort--------------13 ½-------------------13

This is just the beginning; there are more interesting patterns and number webs with which the magic of the Harry Potter saga is blossomed.

To be continued...
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

The Numero of Wands Empty The Numero of Wands (Post 1 to 17)

Post  Elanor on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 am

Choices - Apr 24, 2008 5:44 pm (#1 of 17)
*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
It is very interesting FreezingFlame. If you go to the "search" function and enter "the symbolism of numbers", you will find some very interesting reading concerning the meaning of numbers in the HP series.

- - - - - - - - - -
thefreezingflame - Apr 24, 2008 9:28 pm (#2 of 17)

Edited by Denise P. Apr 25, 2008 8:51 pm
Thank u Smile

Welcome to the forum, thefreezingflame. Since you had to read our Philosophy of the Forum in order to be moved from read only status, I assume you are familiar with it. Just a gentle reminder that netspeak is not generally used on the forum. This includes using "u" rather than "you" Thanks in advance! Denise P.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Apr 25, 2008 6:55 am (#3 of 17)

Librarian
tff, you say "Names------------Wand’s length in inches-----Number of alphabets

Harry Potter--------------11-----------------------11

James Potter--------------11-----------------------11

Could this be a mere coincidence?"

Well, yes, it certainly could be coincidence.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Apr 25, 2008 1:49 pm (#4 of 17)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
Yes, it could be coincidence or it could be done on purpose, but here we are at the end of the series and nothing has yet been revealed as to the significence of the number of letters in a name and the length of wands. Makes me suspect that it is just an interesting coincidence.

- - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Apr 25, 2008 8:53 pm (#5 of 17)

Ravenclaw Pony
I would find it more interesting if Tom Riddle and Lord Voldemort had the same number of letters, which they don't. Since Tom was not even remotely Lord Voldemort when he got the wand, that kinda shoots down the length of his name having significance to the length of his wand. Have you found any other instances where the two correspond?

- - - - - - - - - -
thefreezingflame - Apr 25, 2008 10:37 pm (#6 of 17)

Just to reduce the complexity or perhaps to find a more logical way of assigning the wand’s length to her characters, J.K. Rowling must have adopted the above mentioned method. Just to make things perfect she may have bypassed her own rules. One of the best examples would be giving the giant, Rubeus Hagrid the biggest wand [sixteen inches]. In the case of Lord Voldemort a.k.a Tom Riddle. I think Rowling must have derived the name ‘Tom Marvolo Riddle’ from the base ‘I am Lord Voldermort’ not the other way around, cause Voldermort means ‘Fear of Death’ in French. And of course the word count of ‘Lord Voldermort’ is 13 [the unlucky number].

- - - - - - - - - -
rcs - Apr 27, 2008 12:31 am (#7 of 17)

I think a much more likely parallel is between wand length and height. Notice that Hagrid has the longest wand in the series (even longer than LV's), Umbridge has one of the shortest, and of the Trio, Ron is both the tallest and has the longest wand.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Apr 27, 2008 11:54 am (#8 of 17)

The eyes are the windows to the soul...
rcs, that's the parallel I always thought of when I thought of wands. That, and also the wood type suiting the personality or physical characteristics (Oak=strength=Hagrid, for example.) Of course, they don't always match up. (Or at least they're not always apparent to me -- they probably are to JKR. Undoubtedly she'll explain this to us fully when she does her Scottish book.)

It is an interesting coincidence, though, thefreezingflame. Nice job.

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Apr 27, 2008 1:44 pm (#9 of 17)

Rowling has created lots of ingenious little games, for example "Irma Pince" . It is quite imaginable that she did such a thing on purpose. It doesn't seem like a coincidence. If there were more people we knew the wands of we could collect a list. When the number of letters is always the same as the length of the wand, then it's a game. If more than half of the wands we know of don't fit, then it's coincidence, sadly. IMO.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - May 3, 2008 1:13 pm (#10 of 17)

Or Romilda Vane = "I'm a Dan lover" as a wink to Dan Radcliffe in the movies... (I'm just now listening to HBP and heard that name...)

I think JKR has more of a thing with names/wordplay, rather than numbers. She has always said maths are not her strong point...

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - May 3, 2008 1:31 pm (#11 of 17)

Yes, for example her timeline. *evil grin* But it might just be imaginable that she can handle a number of eleven or twelve letters. Possibly.

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - May 3, 2008 10:55 pm (#12 of 17)

Edited May 3, 2008 11:29 pm
There is also a nice connection that can be made between the length of the wands and the numbers of the Major Arcana cards: 11 is either (depends on decks) the Justice Card or the Strength card, and both apply very well to Harry, don't they?

Voldemort's wand is 13 and a half inches long: 13 is the number of the Death card: isn't he the one who wanted to go "further than anybody" else on what he thought was the path to immortality? But death is still waiting for him, and reaches him because of that "mistake horcrux" he left in Harry: hence the half of an inch? Just a thought!

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - May 4, 2008 2:16 am (#13 of 17)

Poor Voldie: The careful use of a saw would have spared him so much trouble then. I love your explanation, Elanor, it is very clever. Yes, the people who always want more, more, more. They end up with more than they can chew.

- - - - - - - - - -
rcs - May 6, 2008 3:39 am (#14 of 17)

"Or Romilda Vane = "I'm a Dan lover" as a wink to Dan Radcliffe in the movies..." --Madam Pince

Another good Romilda Vane anagram is "Love in a dram." A dram is a unit of measure once frequently used by apothecaries to measure potions, so the anagram fits rather nicely. This one is courtesy of Mugglenet.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - May 7, 2008 10:17 am (#15 of 17)

Good one, rcs!

Whichever it is, it almost has to be an "intended-anagram" name. I mean really.... Romilda??? Has anyone ever heard of the name "Romilda" before?

- - - - - - - - - -
Potteraholic - Jun 14, 2008 6:42 am (#16 of 17)

"Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent - and a nice thirst to prove yourself ..." (PS/SS)

I was curios about the name 'Romilda' and found out that it was Sophia Loren's mother's name. Here is what 'About.*com' syas about it:

Italian Baby Names - Romilda
English translation/equivalent: Romilda
Origin: Derived from the Lombard and means "heroine."
Name Day/Onomastico: November 1—La Festa d'Ognissanti (All Saint's Day), day in which all saints not represented on the calendar are remembered.

It also seems to be a name used in Portugal and Brazil.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 14, 2008 9:30 pm (#17 of 17)

Really? Well good on you, PAH! Thanks for the research!
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum