HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arithmancy - Theory and Applications (Condensed Thread)

Go down

Arithmancy - Theory and Applications (Condensed Thread) Empty Arithmancy - Theory and Applications (Condensed Thread)

Post  Elanor Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:16 am

Arithmancy - Theory and Applications (Condensed Thread)

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

Detail Seeker - Dec 4, 2003 2:25 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Jan 12, 2006 11:37 pm

Aelion - May 14, 2003 2:46 pm

Well first, like all other new members that post a new thread for the first time, I’m sorry if this has been brought up before and I’ve missed it. If I have you can re-direct me.

Now, Arithmancy basically means numerology. I know that a lot of sites and fans have noticed the abundance of the number 12 in Harry Potter books, but upon researching numerology and searching through the books, I am certain it does not stop at the number 12! It is my belief that there are loads and loads of numerology purposely and strategically placed into the HP books just waiting to be uncovered by us fanatics. There is simply too much to put into one post, so I’m going to focus on Harry Potter himself and the number 11 in this post, as well as character names equaling the same number in Pythagoras numerology and what that means.

Pythagoras numerology is the most popular type of numerology and the type I’ve had the best luck with. Basically in numerology all words equal a certain number. You take each letter in a word, and using a chart match each letter with its corresponding number. You then add the numbers and simplify by adding any double digits until you get a single digit or a master number (11, 22, 33, etc...) The chart is simple:

1.........2.........3.........4.........5.........6.........7.........8.........9

A........B........C.........D........E.........F........G.........H........I

J.........K........L.........M.......N.........O.........P........Q........R

S.........T........U.........V.......W........X.........Y.........Z

Where each letter equals the number above it. So if I were figuring “Amy” (my first name, then A=1, M=4, Y=7, 1+4+7= 12 I’d then simplify the 12 (1+2=3). So in Pythagoras numerology the word “Amy” = 3. I’d then look up to see what the number three stood for. I’m focusing on the eleven in numerology here, and the number eleven is a powerful, magical, mystical number. It is associated with intuition, idealism, and ESP among other things. It is also important to note that in numerology things with like numbers are considered to be alike.

Ok enough with the lesson lets get started. There are a lot of elevens surrounding Harry Potter himself:

There are 11 letters in the name “Harry Potter”

Harry’s wand is 11 inches long.

Harry was born on 7/31/1980. Those numbers add up to 11 in numerology.

Harry was exactly eleven when he found out he was a wizard

Voldemort tried and failed to kill Harry After being in power for eleven years

Harry’s train to hogwarts always leaves at eleven o’clock

In PoA Harry stayed in room eleven at the leaky cauldron

And a very important one: “Harry Potter” in numerology = 65 (6+5=11) I say this is important because “Lord Voldemort” in numerology = 65 as well. Coincidence you say? Well that’s quite a coincidence! We are always told Voldemort and Harry are similar in a lot of ways, and this is just one more way.

So then that made me wonder, what other characters have the same numbers in numerology (and thus are simular characters.) Using an excel spread sheet so I wouldn’t make any mistakes, I comprised a list of major characters I could think of and their number in numerology from their name. Here is what I found (the more interesting ones):

Albus Dumbledore & Grindelwald = 55

Sirius Black & James Potter = 43

Severus Snape & Ron Weasley = 47

Rubeus Hagrid & Olympe Maxime = 61

Harry Potter & Lord Voldemort = 65

Peter Pettigrew & "Tom Marvolo Riddle" = 79 (both their “old” names)

Armondo Dippet & Cornelius Fudge = 69

Remus Lupin & Lucius Malfoy = 49

Minerva Mcgonagall & Neville Longbottom = 77

So I am in no way saying that JKR has purposely put numerological meaning into ALL the characters in Harry Potter. That would take too much work. But I do believe she put some time into figuring some of them out, it would seem that way wouldn’t it? This is only a small portion of what I have found. There are also interesting things revolving around the numbers 4, 7, 9, and 13 in particularly. When you put it all together, IMO it is too much to all be coincidence.

What does everyone think??
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Arithmancy - Theory and Applications (Condensed Thread) Empty Arithmancy - Theory and Applications (Condensed Thread)

Post  Elanor Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:16 am

Jackie !Fast - May 14, 2003 4:04 pm 1 of 22)

Very interesting! I don't know if any of this was intentional, but it's fascinating speculation. Surprised)

What have you found with 4, 7, 9, and 13?

-------------------------------------------

Cliff Hamaker - May 14, 2003 6:59 pm 2 of 22)

So, are you suggesting that Ron will become a vampire, the next Potions Master, or just plain dislikable??? lol Wink

It *is* very interesting.

Hogsmeade = 41

Hogwarts = 40

Beauxbaton = 33 (with an 's' it's 34)

Durmstrang = 45

Fleur Delacour = 60

Viktor Krum = 50

Aelion May 14, 2003 8:25 pm (#/3 of 22)

The number 4:

4’s are supposed to be stable and secure. They like order and practicality. Sound familiar? Hermione and Percy are the epitome of what the number 4 is, as they should be because both their names equal 4 in numerology: “Percy Weasley” = 58 (5+8 = 13, 1+3 = 4) and “Hermione Granger” = 94 (9+4 = 13, 1+3 = 4) Also homes are supposed to be stable and orderly, and Harry Lives at number 4 privet drive, and also “privet drive” in numerology = 4. “The burrow” in numerology also = 4

The number 9:

The number 9 revolves around the Weasleys a lot, as well as the other mystical numbers in the book. There are 9 Weasley’s total (7 kids plus 2 parents.) There are nine letters in “The Burrow”. Also “Weasley” in Numerology = 27 (2+7 = 9). Nine’s are supposed to be selfless, compassionate, patient and tolerant. Sounds about right I think. Also 9 is the last single digit, so it is the most weasley's there could be with out haveing a double-digit. In numerology anything plus 9 equals itself (IE: 49= (4+9 = 13), (1+3 = the original 4)

The number 7:

I believe JKR uses 7 the same way we use it as a lucky or good number. 7 is good and 13 is bad sort of thing. Here are the 7’s in the book (that I’ve found):

The following things are on the seventh floor of Hogwarts: Gryffindor common room, Sir Cadogan’s painting, Divination & Professor Filtwicks office There are 7 weasly children with 2 children abroad, there are 7 weasleys living in the burrow. Harry paid 7 galleons for his wand The Sorcerers stone was guarded by 7 different obstacles The Weasleys won 700 galleons in PoA The SS was in vault 713 (and it could have been used for good or evil) Sirius was located on the 7th floor, in the 13th window when they rescued him. (it was a good thing they rescued him, but they were breaking the wizarding laws at the same time) Students learn at Hogwarts for 7 years Harry paid 11 sickles and 7 knuts for his candy on the hogwarts express in SS (see also eleven) There are 7 players on a quidditch team Harry helped win the house cup for Gryffindor, stopping Slytherin from winning it 7 years in a row Harry also helped win the Quidditch cup after Gryffindor hadn’t won for 7 years There were 7 bottles in Snapes riddle guarding the Sorcerers stone Classes Had 7 of Lockhart’s books assigned to them. Harry’s first quidditch training session was at 7 o’clock There are 700 ways of committing a quidditch foul (err,.. I guess it is good they have so many fouls, otherwise the sport would be too dangerous ;-) ) The Deathday party was at 7 o’clock (We learn the year and Harry hears the Basilisk for the first time, good he went?) The marauders map shows 7 secret ways out of hogwarts According to Hermione, there are 7 properly registered Animagi currently on record. (PoA, ch18) The portkey that took Harry & company to the quidditch world cup left & arrived at seven past five (odd time) The Triwizard tournament was established 700 years ago. (GoF ch11) There are 7 compartments in Mad-eye Moody’s Trunk, he was hiding in the 7th one Dumbledore opened (GoF ch20) Fred & George charge 7 sickles for there canary cream puffs Dobby told Harry at Christmas that he had collected 7 socks Unicorns are full grown at about 7 years old (GoF ch26)

Aelion May 14, 2003 8:27 pm (# 4 of 22)

The number 13:

On top of vault 713 and Sirius being 7 floors up and 13 windows across, here are other 13’s

Voldemorts wand is 13 1/2 inches There are 13 letters in the words "lord voldemort" (just as there are 11 in “Harry Potter” and his wand is 11 inches) Voldemort returns after 13 years The Dark mark Hadn't been seen for 13 years. Professor Trelawney didn't want to sit at the table as christmas because there would be 13 of them.

I don’t have as many on the 13’s, but it seems like bad things happen around 13’s, good things happen around 7, and “magical” things happen around 11’s (to overly simplify it)

I also have this bizarre theory that none of the weasley’ss are going to die based on all this numerology.. It goes like this: There are 9 weasley’s and 9 letters in the burrow, “weasley” = 9 in numerology and all of that was thought out by JKR. 7 is a good number and there are 7 weasley children, 2 weasleys are abroad and so there are 7 weasleys living in The Burrow (Percy’s still there, even in GoF) when all 7 weasleys plus Harry and Hermione are together you have 9 again (happened at the beginning of PoA, they eat together) and when ALL of the weasleys plus Harry and Hermione are together you have 11 (the magical number, happened in the beginning of GoF, they eat together) Even at the quidditch cup 5 weasleys plus harry and hermione (7) went to take the port key and they met Mr. Diggory and Cedric there, so 9 people total took the portkey.

SO - The way I see it, there is a purpose in the number of weasleys, there are not “loads” of them, there is an exact number of them that was purposly thought out by JKR. If any of the weasley’s died you would have odd numbers. Instead of all the pretty 7’s, 9’s and 11’s, you’d have 6, 8 and 10... not nearly as magical. So I don’t believe any of the weasleys will die because their numbers wouldn’t work if any of them did. (overly complex theory?? ok maybe but I still stand by it,.. its no worse than saying dumbledore is the giant squid anyway ;-) )

Ok that’s really all I have so far...

Aelion - May 14, 2003 8:40 pm (# 5 of 22)

Oyi,.. I meant to comment on this

Clif Hamaker said: So, are you suggesting that Ron will become a vampire, the next Poions Master, or just plain dislikable??? lol Wink

LOL! :-D No, actually I am saying that Ron is to Harry what Snape is to Voldemort (or at least was at one time,.. dunno.. book 5 taking too long Sad

kimiraikkonen - May 14, 2003 9:59 pm (# 8 of 22)

Simply amazing Aelion. In a few posts you have contributed more than what many longtime members have in over half a year (me included). Vault 713 and Sirius being locked at the 7th floor 13th window are particularly interesting.

And since you know so much about numerology, could you please tell me what the number 6 represents? It is my favourite number along with 49.

Marè May 15, 2003 3:59 am (#9 of 22)

Sigh, we once had a marvelous thread about all the numbers in the harry potter series, but unfortunately it got lost. You would have loved it Aelion. Aaahh well, it looks like we are going to have one again Smile

Sly Girl - May 15, 2003 9:47 pm (# 11 of 22)

A lot of great info here- I had seen a bit of this in another HP book, about the significance of the #12 and 13.

Remember too that Hermione's favorite subject is Arithmancy... it might actually come into play in the actual story...

Vicky Leery - May 16, 2003 1:42 pm (# 12> of 22)

This is great! I don't know much about numerology, but I do like numbers. Math is a language, and I love language.

Anyway, I wondered if the fact that 11 and 13 are prime numbers have anything to do with anything? That maybe the characters can't be divided except by themselves? So if people are turned against each other, it will only be their own fault?

Zelmia - May 16, 2003 6:15 pm (#14> of 22)

So if 4's prefer stability and order, the 4 Houses of Hogwarts represent the stability and order of this hallowed institution?

Aelion - May 16, 2003 6:24 pm (#15> of 22)

The book I have for my numerology is called: Numerology and the divine triangle by Faith Javane and Dusty Bunker

If you are interested in numerology it is a great book and I recomend it. I'm really only interested in it for HP stuff..

ok,.. someone up there asked about the number 6, in this book the key words for 6 are: "family and social responsibillity, service, love, compassion, counseling, healing, creativity" the tarot card associated with 6 is "The Lovers",.. and on a side note Fred Weasley is a 6 (51) in numerology.

49: 49 is really a 4 (4+9 = 13, 1+3 = 4) I've gone over 4 already,.. but the tarot card associated with 49 is the 9 of cups: physical and emotional well being. says about the 49 vibration that you have executive ability, integrity, intuition and a sense of justice.

Mare I'm so sad to hear there was a form on numerology but longer is.. I'm sure I would have loved it *sigh* I would have loved to see what others had figured out..

shepherdess - May 16, 2003 9:38 pm (# 16 of 22)

But how could JKR possibly have figured all this out, and not be able to figure out that the number of students at Hogwarts can't be added up any way to a satisfactory answer?

Sly Girl May 17, 2003 12:37 pm (#17 of 22)

We don't know if JKR can't figure out the number of students. We just have her answer- she may or may not have been pulling the rug over someone's eyes. Or maybe she doesn't really care how many students are in her school. Wink

Katie Jones - May 17, 2003 1:39 pm (#18 of 22)

I figured out my name was a 1....What does one mean if you dont mind me asking?

Olivia Wood - May 17, 2003 3:09 pm (#/19 of 22)

They've got the meanings of all the numbers and a calculator thingy. Smile

Cliff Hamaker May 17, 2003 6:47 pm (#21> of 22)

My numbers are... wait, I know this... 8 (character), 2(heart), & 6(social). However, the explanations are made to fit anyone. But that's just my personal view. Smile
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down