Harry wasn't special when... (Condensed Thread)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 am

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

S.E. Jones - Mar 5, 2004 7:27 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Jan 12, 2006 11:45 pm
Harry wasn't special when Voldemort tried to kill him.

Brave ol' Neville - Feb 10, 2003 2:40 pm
I was reading CoS last night when I came across something. Riddle asks harry why he survived and Harry says because my mother died for me. In response Riddle says "theres nothing special about you after all."
Does this mena he wasn't special at all or he just didn't have have a special power that saved him?
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 am

dudley - Feb 10, 2003 2:51 pm (#1 of 73)
It could also be Riddle trying to put Harry down before killing him.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
lilly - Feb 10, 2003 3:01 pm (#2 of 73)
Well, Harry wasn't that special when he was 1, before his parent died becuase what was so special that Harry had did? After his parents died, Harry Potter became famous because he had survived Voldemort.
eatslugsmalfoy - Feb 10, 2003 3:26 pm (#3 of 73)
I believe Harry was special before the adult Valdemort tried to kill him. Why else would he try to kill a one-year old? What made him special? Books 5, 6 or 7 will tell! Tom Riddle was sixteen when he created his diary and, I believe, still had alot lot to learn. But the adult Valdemort definitely had learned something in the years in between about Harry (as James or Lily Potters son, the heir of Griffindor, etc) that made him want to murder a child.
NoVeil4Me - Feb 10, 2003 3:29 pm (#4 of 73)
There was something about Harry that had a full grown evil wizard hell bent on killing a one year old infant. His mother was killed protecting him. If Harry was of no special concern, I doubt Voldie would have made the attempt to kill a baby for no specific reason.
TL - Feb 11, 2003 1:46 am (#8 of 73)
Well, personally, I think that there *was* something special about Harry (After all, Voldemort *himself* came to hunt him down, something tells me this isn't average--and Lily and James knew Voldie was after them specifically), but Tom doesn't know what Voldemort did, except through what he learned through Ginny (who thinks Harry is *very* special).
Something to support this is what he (Tom) said when he was with Harry in the Chamber of Secrets:
[Concerning Ginny getting rid of the Diary and Harry finding it.]
"And why did you want to meet me?" said Harry. Anger was coursing through him, and it was an effort to keep his voice steady. "Well, you see, Ginny told me all about you, Harry," said Riddle. "Your whole *fascinating* history." --CoS, pg 311, softcover.
I don't know about you, but if Riddle had to have it *explained* to him, wouldn't that make it seem that he hadn't really known about the Potters'--in any detail--, at least in a discriminating way? So when he said 'there isn't anything special about you, after all', he doesn't really have anything to base his thoughts of 'special' on, other than the fact that Ginny told him that HP was. That make any sense?
liliaceae - Feb 11, 2003 11:12 am (#9 of 73)
Well, the whole argument depends on what you perceive as special. Harry's obviously a powerful wizard- he's proven this to us many times. But where did his power begin? I maintain that it was nothing BUT Lily's sacrifice that saved him that night. Not even a full-grown, powerful wizard has a chance against avada kedavra. But to say there was nothing special about Harry before then, well...obviously something was, because Voldy wanted him dead before he was even potty-trained! Was whatever lurks inside Harry enhanced by his mother's sacrifice? If Harry had been of no interest to Voldy, would Harry be so talented in DADA or have ended up with Fawkes' feather in his wand? Where destiny (should you choose to believe in it) starts is the real question here. Did it start at or even before birth, with the anticipation that his parents were going to die saving him- or did it begin after the attack, when he'd proven himself impervious to the worst of the Unforgivable Curses? Personally, I believe Harry was special before his parent's deaths, but that after they were gone, whatever existed before vastly increased and the magical field endowed him with ways to protect himself. The only wand to protect him against Voldy (that we know of) chose him. With that wand, the contents of which signify bravery and good, Harry goes on to defeat Voldy in GF, and uses his mind and whatever lingered of his mother's strength in him against Voldy in CS and SS. So, essentially, whatever was there at birth was enhanced by his mother's death and Voldy's defeat.
Dr Filibuster - Feb 11, 2003 12:54 pm (#10 of 73)
Would Voldemort be threateed by baby Harry if...
.. he was born with particular powers
...he was due to inherit something
...there is a prediction about him
...he has been given special abilities/qualities by his magically powerfulparents/godparents/parents' supporters
... something of Voldemort's can only be returned if the child is destroyed.
Of course Dumbledore wouldn't be impresed by the first three points, but that's why he's the Chief Warlock and Supreme Mugwump!
It would be ironic if the thing Voldemort perceived as a threat wasn't a threat to him at all.
Personally I always thought that the final outcome will have somethng to do with muggles, but I have no strong case to argue.
Dr Filibuster - Feb 11, 2003 1:16 pm (#11 of 73)
I forgot another reason for Voldemort to kill a specific baby...pure hatred and revenge (e.g Harry's grandparents may have actively opposed him). They could have said something along the lines of, if we fail our children or our childrens' children will come after you. (would that be a curse?)
This would indicate that baby Harry was not special, but had very foolhardy grandparents.
Nine - Feb 11, 2003 2:24 pm (#12 of 73)
You mentioned Harry's godparents, Dr. Filibuster. Were you referring to/suspecting anything in particular, about Sirius or about Harry's unknown godmother?
Waiting for Phoenix - Feb 11, 2003 2:31 pm (#13 of 73)
“...he was due to inherit something” I think that Voldemort's soul reason for killing baby Harry was to stop Harry from getting the brother wand that Voldemort has. Once Harry gets the wand, he and Voldemort can't duel as we notice in book four. Therefore Harry would be, in a sense, the only one Voldemort can't kill. If he is to be the greatest sorcerer in the world he doesn't want someone he can't kill hanging around.
So, I agree Harry isn't really special other than he was destined for that wand.
Nine - Feb 11, 2003 2:34 pm (#14 of 73)
"The wand chooses the wizard", remember? There had to be a reason that Harry would get that wand, and Voldie's attempt to kill him doesn't count. I don't think Fawkes would associate with someone because they were linked to Voldie, and I really doubt any wand made of his feather would do so. I also don't think that fate would be the sole force dictating a wand's choice. So Harry has to be special in some other way.
Gabrielle D - Feb 11, 2003 2:55 pm (#15 of 73)
I really dont think anyone knows this answer for sure. Was Harry special before one, probibly not. Imagine this, if Harry was, say, the heir of Gryffindor, wouldn’t you think he's read it? Wouldnt Professor Binns say something? I dont think Harry is important, I just think Voldemort wanted to kill him. Maybe he was willing to let Lilly live because she had certian qualities he admired about her like, we don’t know, she could have been a Slytherin. We cant really answer a question like this until we know more about not only Harry, but his family.
On a slightly different subject... Harry is one of the most famous people in the Wizarding world, why hasnt he come accross his name in a History book?
dudley - Feb 11, 2003 2:57 pm (#16 of 73)
If Harry knew everything about himself, he wouldn't need Hermione or Dumbledore to fill in the gaps!
Nine - Feb 11, 2003 2:58 pm (#17 of 73)
Hermione has, which means Harry probably gets her help to avoid books with his name in them to keep from being thought of as really vain.
Meg L. - Feb 11, 2003 3:00 pm (#18 of 73)
Well, he hasn't come across his name that we know of, but we do know (thanks to Hermione) that he is mentioned in Modern Magical History, The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts, and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century, and those are just books that she's read. There could be more. (SS, American version pg 106).
Waiting for Phoenix - Feb 11, 2003 5:52 pm (#19 of 73)
I've wondered myself if Harry has ever found himself in a book or something and I often wonder if he actually relizes how "special and famous" he is because I don't seem to be getting the vibe that he REALLY knows. As for him being the heir of Griffindor I highly doubt. I know you were just using that as an example but I just wanted to say I don't think JKR will play the heir game anymore because that sounds like a little bit too much tooting of the same horn than what is expected. Like people have said Ginney has had her role in the spotlight once and probably won’t have another huge shining moment, same with being the heir.
Dr Filibuster - Feb 12, 2003 4:00 pm (#20 of 73)
Nine, "were you refering to/suspecting anything about Sirius or Harry's unknown godmother?" My train of thought was...why did Voldemort want to kill a baby? I started to dwell on the timing of the Potter's attack. In PoA Sirius says that Peter was passing info to Voldie "a year before Lily and James died". Harry was born around this time, and would have been exactly 3 months old (12 months before the day his parents were murdered). This may have been when his christening happened.
Old European folk stories have been known to include christenings where the baby was bestowed with something by a powerful witch.
I don't know what would be bestowed, but we know he had a christening. I also want to know who his godmother is and why we don't know about her already.
Dr Filibuster - Feb 12, 2003 4:35 pm (#21 of 73)
My favourite theory now is that there was nothing special about Harry, but Voldemort PERCEIVED a threat and decided to persue Harry.
His pursuit of Harry lead to;
Lily's sacrifice, we know what that did to Voldie
Special protection arranged by the most powerful wizard alive (Dumbledore)
Help from; Fawkes the phoenix(twice) with whom he now has a bond, Godric Gryffindor via the sorting hat. The Minister of magic himself helped him in PoA.
The humiliation of his deatheaters seeing Harry stand up to him and survive....
Harry is VERY special now with all that experience, help and powerful allies. He wouldn't be half as good with his hexes or Accio and wouldn't even know about the patronus spell let alone be so astonishingly good at it.
It could be a self-fulfilled prophecy. Voldemort set out to destroy Harry so he wouldn't grow up to be a powerful wizard who kills him. His failed attempts force Harry to become a powerful wizard and he kills Voldemort in self defence. Poetic justice.
Nine - Feb 12, 2003 5:58 pm (#23 of 73)
Oh, I see, Dr. Filibuster. We can probably assume that Harry's godmother was one of Lily's friends, but I really am curious about who.
Nine - Feb 13, 2003 4:17 pm (#24 of 73)
True green eyes are not only rare (and a genetic quirk, which implies that it wouldn't normally pass to the next generation), but I get the impression that Harry's eyes are the same color (or very similar to) the Avada Kedavra curse. Which could mean nothing, but could mean anything.
gracie me - Feb 13, 2003 7:09 pm (#25 of 73)
I do believe Harry is special. Why would Voldemort try to kill him? The way I see it, perhaps there is something about Harry that Voldemort deemed as a threat for him. Also, I think there's something more why Voldemort couldn't kill Harry. Not just because his mother saved him. The first time I read SS, I had this theory that perhaps Harry had secret powers that Voldemort wanted, so he tried to steal it. Unfortunately, Harry's powers were too much for him. So his powers broke. I guess my version of the story is different from what Rowling has on my mind.
mischa fan - Mar 29, 2003 5:57 pm (#27 of 73)
This is my theory on the Harry Potter/Voldemort connection, someone predicted to Voldemort that Harry would be his downfall, so Voldemort sets out to kill Harry before he can become a real threat to him, and thus fullfills the prediction himself. Just my humble opinion.
Makgraf - Mar 30, 2003 10:35 am (#29 of 73)
Well, I hate to disagree with everyone but I believe there was absolutly NOTHING special about Harry. All of his wizarding powers, his ability to speak to snakes even his ambition comes from Voldemort. The AK curse misfired because Lily invoked the old magics and defended Harry with her life. As the curse when wrong some of Voldy's powers were infused into Harry which accounts for everything he has. Why did the wand pick Harry? Because it recognized something in him that its brother did, Voldemort. It was the essance of Voldemort that both wands of Fawkes picked.
W J - Mar 30, 2003 11:34 am (#30 of 73)
Makgraf, Harry received SOME of Voldemort's abilities but not EVERYTHING that Harry has comes from Voldemort. That is going too far. Both James and Lily were described as smart and powerful, so Harry would have inherited great abilities from them even without the incident with Voldemort. Harry's inherited power from his parents plus whatever was transferred from Voldemort are combined to make Harry more powerful than Voldemort can ever be.
S.E. Jones - Mar 30, 2003 1:52 pm (#31 of 73)
I agree with WJ. Plus, there is a quill at Hogwarts that writes the names of magical children at their birth, and Hagrid said Harry's had "his name down since he was born" so he had to have been born with enough magic to attend Hogwarts. Therefore, you cannot say all his power came from his encounter with Voldemort because it happened when he was 1 yr. and 3 mo. old.
NoVeil4Me - Mar 30, 2003 1:55 pm (#32 of 73)
If you want to get techincal, we are not sure that Voldy gave anything at all to Harry, power-wise. Dumbledore suspects that is the case but it is not a fact. I don't have CoS in front of me or I could get the quote from Dumbledore where he says his theory on Voldemort accidently giving Harry some of his own powers.
S.E. Jones - Mar 30, 2003 2:07 pm (#33 of 73)
CoS Am.paperback pg. 332-333:
"You can speak Parseltongue, Harry," said Dumbledore calmly, "because Lord Voldemort---who is the last remaining [descendant] of Salazar Slytherin---can speak Parseltongue. Unless I'm much mistaken, he transferred some of his own powers to you the night he gave you that scar. Not something he intended to do, I'm sure..."
Denise S. - Mar 30, 2003 3:58 pm (#34 of 73)
It's true that Harry survived the AK curse in no small part due to his mother's sacrifice. But as stated by someone else, I'm sure it was something many of Voldemort's victims have done (sacrifice themselves to try to save a loved one), and obviously no one survived that. So there *had* to have been something special about Harry before Voldemort came by.
Makgraf - Mar 30, 2003 8:19 pm (#35 of 73)
Okay, I didn't mean that Harry was a Squib before Voldy tried to AK him, but I believe most of his powers did come from Voldemort, who I believe is the most powerful wizard this side of Dumbledore. Harry certainly had enough magic powers to go to Hogwarts before the attack, but I believe that the reason he has powers is because they were infused into him by Voldy. The reason Harry survived the curse is that his mom invoked the old magics (perhaps even subconciously) and then sacrificed herself as he launched the curse. So if Harry wasn't special then why did Voldy want to kill him? Well there are a couple of explinations.
1. Voldy didn't want to kill Harry, per say. Voldemort was going around killing powerful Light wizard and their families. There's no definite proof, but some suspect that Lily was a former death eater and Voldy offered to spare her because of that.
2. Voldy wanted to kill all the Potters. Dumbledore says Harry is the last surviving Potter. Normally, this would be unusual right? Therefore we can draw the conclusion that there were many other Potters living but Voldemort murdered them all. Therefore, for whatever reason Voldy was trying to kill all the Potters. This also might be a reason why Voldy would spare Lily (cause she's an Evans)
3. The Prophecy (My own favourite). Dumbledore says that Trelawney made only 2 correct predictions since coming to Hogwarts. We know the second, so what was the first? I believe it was that Harry Potter would cause the downfall of Voldemort. Hearing this Voldy rushes to try to find little Harry and kill him when he's still a baby. With the Potter's SK under his sway, Voldy breaks through and trys to kill Harry. But instead the spell misfires and the prophecy is hailed as true (It won't really be true till book 7). So while I'm sure Harry would have been a good wizard, the powers of Voldemort will make him great.
W J - Mar 30, 2003 8:27 pm (#36 of 73)
I still stand by my prior statement. Other than Parseltongue, there is no proof that Voldemort gave Harry other powers.
Madam Poppy - Mar 30, 2003 8:27 pm (#37 of 73)
No one has brought up Dobby and why he felt he had to take the risk of angering the family he served by contacting Harry.
Looking in Chamber of Secrets (hardback), starting on page 15. "Dobby has heard of your greatness, sir, but of your goodness, Dobby never knew."..."Harry is valiant and bold"...."He is too great, too good, to lose." On page 177, "If Harry Potter only knew...what he means to us, to the lowly, the enslaved, we dregs of the magical world!...."life has improved for my kind since you triumphed over He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Harry Potter survived, and the Dark Lord's power was broken, and it was a new dawn, sir, and Harry Potter shone like a beacon of hope for those of us who thought the Dark days would never end." Finally, at the end of the book Dobby says, "Harry Potter is greater by far than Dobby knew!"
I think that, "He is too great, too good, to lose." is the most telling of all Dobby says. As far as we know, Dobby only learned about Harry from what he has overheard in conversations at the Malfoys. Dobby thought that Harry was important enough that he tried several times to ensure his safety? This couldn't be just for what Harry did (as a child) but for what he will mean to the Wizarding World in his future.
Makgraf - Mar 30, 2003 8:45 pm (#39 of 73)
This couldn't be just for what Harry did (as a child)? You mean the Malfoys as supporters of evil couldn't only be against Harry because he vanquished their lord? I think it's highly likely that they'd continue to rail against him because of this. Also, I do think that even if Harry wasn't a particularly special baby, he's certainly very special now. I'm sure that the Malfoys are worried about what Harry will do, because I know Harry will do more great things in the fight against the Dark Lord’s servants. Harry is darn important, he's fended the dark lord off 4 times, the Malfoys should be very worried about him.
I think there's a good deal of evidence (if mainly circumstantial) that Voldy passed some powers to Harry. If Dumbledore thinks he did, then that's good enough for me. Dumbledore wouldn't just be throwing that out there with no proof, he knows what he's talking about. Also, wouldn't it be really weird if Voldy ONLY transferred Parseltongue to Harry and nothing else? We know that there is a bond between them because of that and we know that Voldy transferred powers to Harry. I think it's highly reasonable to infer that if powers were transferred then magic powers will also be transferred.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S.E. Jones - Mar 5, 2004 7:29 pm (#1 of 1)
Harry wasn't special when Voldemort tried to kill him. (continued)

W J - Mar 30, 2003 9:00 pm (#40 of 73)
Makgraf, I dispute the extent of the power transfer you claim. I concede that there may have been SOME power transfer but I disagree that all Harry's power came from Voldemort. I believe that Harry would have been powerful without any transfer of powers from Voldemort. I think that Harry's own personal power inherited from his powerful parents is only ENHANCED by what, if anything, Voldemort passed to him. Therefore, the power Harry was born with plus any powers transferred from Voldemort, combine to make Harry MORE powerful than Voldemort. But I maintain that Harry was BORN powerful and special without Voldemort's help.
Makgraf - Mar 30, 2003 9:14 pm (#41 of 73)
Well WJ, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. What we can agree on is that there were powers transferred to Voldy. You think it was a little, I think it was a lot. But again, we both think that Harry wouldn't be as powerful with Voldemort. Remember, genetics is a funny thing in the wizard word. Neville comes from an ancient magic family and is almost a squib! Hermione is a mudblood but she has tons of powers (I don't buy the "it's only book-smarts", that girl has powers).
NoVeil4Me - Mar 31, 2003 6:44 am (#45 of 73)
I guess I am in the minority since I don't think it is a given that Harry got anything from Voldemort..other than his scar. It is only a theory that Dumbledore has and could be true but we don't know for sure.
Cliff Hamaker - Mar 31, 2003 10:44 am (#46 of 73)
Well, I'm with WJ. I firmly believe that Harry was always a potentially powerful wizard. I mean, they couldn't *really* tell how powerful he was going to be when he was born. Unless they have some sort of device or spell that we haven't been introduced to.
Hagrid said that Harry has had his name down since the day he was born (BTW, I don't think Hagrid would have said this unless it was uncommon for that to happen.) By all accounts the Potters were *highly* respected and well-loved. Who else is the same way? Dumbledore. He is a powerful wizard and very influential. He is respected for his powers. I believe the Potters were in the same boat. James's wand was excellent for transfiguration and Lily's for charm work. Now, wands choose the wizard and I also believe that they choose a wizard who has similar characteristics. So, the wands were fairly powerful: James and Lily were fairly powerful. These a just some of my reasons for Harry being special *entirely* on his own. He would have been fine without the Parseltongue that Voldy gave him and anything else for that matter.
Nine - Mar 31, 2003 1:06 pm (#47 of 73)
Harry was definitely powerful from birth, I agree with WJ and Cliff on that. However, I also believe that Harry had some special ability or abilities that were just plain weird (something to do with Harry's eyes, perhaps, or times when he seems almost to have a sixth sense, are my evidence for this), and was/were the reason(s) why Voldie was trying to kill him.
S.E. Jones - Apr 1, 2003 6:12 am (#51 of 73)
Nine---"I also believe that Harry had some special ability or abilities that were just plain weird (something to do with Harry's eyes, perhaps..."
I agree with Nine that Harry had something special about him already and I think it is keyed to his eyes. Emeralds have long been connected with purification and rejuvenation. I've been rereading GoF for the billionth time recently and I noticed something that hadn't jumped out at me before (don't you love when that happens!). It's during the Weighing of the Wands ceremony when the narrator says, "He was very fond of his wand, and as far as he was concerned its relation to Voldemort's wand was something it couldn't help...." I've noticed that many of the things that have a negative connotation when connected to Voldemort are sort of purified when connected to Harry. For instance, parselmouth is an ability traditionally connected to dark wizards (Salazar Slytherin and Voldy...) but it's now connected to a very good wizard and is thus, more or less, sort of redeemed.
Sly Girl - Apr 1, 2003 9:50 am (#52 of 73)
So you're saying Harry represents the light side of the coin and Voldemort represents the dark? And it's like a tug of war between them? That things in the hands of Voldemort will be bad, but flipped around into Harry's they will be good? Are there any more examples?
S.E. Jones - Apr 1, 2003 11:13 am (#53 of 73)
There are several examples of parrallels between Harry and Voldy. I'd say the best example of Harry as "light" and Voldy as "dark" would be their backgrounds. They grew up in very similar circumstances (both orphaned, growing up with muggles who don't want them), look very much alike, and seem to have very similar powers and traits; however, Harry chose one side of the coin and Voldy the other. (Really fits in well with the whole "it's our choices more than our abilities" thing doesn't it.) In short, Voldy used his abilities to hurt while Harry uses his abilities to heal...
Denise S. - Apr 1, 2003 4:46 pm (#54 of 73)
This was in another thread, and mentioned by someone else: there was talk how it's interesting that Harry's eyes are green and the light from the AK is green, that Voldemort's eyes are red and the sparks from Harry's wand in Olivander's shop are red as well.
Sly Girl - Apr 1, 2003 11:15 pm (#55 of 73)
Well, wouldn't that be because Slytherin is green oriented and red is Griffyndor oriented? I always associated the green colors that came out of the wands (and it does for other things, not just the AK) to be on 'dark magic' side of things.
W J - Apr 1, 2003 11:26 pm (#57 of 73)
Harry's wand let out red AND gold sparks -- Gryffindor colors.
Dumbledore II - Apr 2, 2003 3:30 am (#58 of 73)
Yes WJ, but there you could say, that Harry represents both sides again = Green and Red It's what he chooses to be.
Pinky - Apr 2, 2003 7:08 am (#59 of 73)
I don't really think that the color of sparks have much to do with it. When Hagrid takes Harry, Hermione, Neville, and Draco into the Forbidden Forest, they are supposed to send up green sparks if they find the unicorn, red sparks if they are in trouble. In the third task in Goblet of Fire, the champions are supposed to send up red sparks if they get into trouble they can't handle. We've only heard about red/gold/green sparks. Can't Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw have sparks of their own colors too? If the color of sparks had anything to do with the house, we would have heard of other colors as well.
Nine - Apr 2, 2003 11:21 am (#62 of 73)
Did everyone miss the other part of Denise S.'s post? She mentions that the Avada Kedavra AND Harry's eyes are green, that Harry's sparks AND Voldie's eyes are red. This seems to indicate it's probably not house-linked.
W J - Apr 2, 2003 9:18 pm (#64 of 73)
But, Nine and Pinky, there is a difference between voluntary and involuntary spark emissions. When they are told to emit a specific color of spark, then it has no more significance than any other spell or charm that they are told to perform. But when the sparks shoot from Harry's wand the first time he touched it, he had no control over it. So I think those colors may have been significant as an indicator of something about Harry.
Pinky - Apr 3, 2003 5:36 am (#65 of 73)
Hmmmm, good point, WJ. I remember in Literature class way back in university there were people that tried to read too much into the stories they were studying. The fact that a tree had green leaves as opposed to pink or purple was highly significant. *rolls eyes* Of course that was going a little too far. That's made me a little leary of assigning meaning to colors used in a book. However, what you said about the sparks being involuntary... hmmmm.... I 'll have to ponder that. Here I thought my theory was airtight and you had to go and show me the huge, gaping hole.
Nine - Apr 4, 2003 12:32 pm (#67 of 73)
I wasn't saying that those sparks didn't mean anything; quite the contrary, WJ. However, I was saying that I didn't think it was necessarily linked to houses, especially since Harry had the potential to go in any of the four houses.
Cliff Hamaker - Apr 4, 2003 7:00 pm (#68 of 73)
Nine, I believe it was a nice bit, and a classic example, of foreshadowing and symbolism. That's why it is significant.
Nine - Apr 5, 2003 8:08 am (#69 of 73)
It might not have been foreshadowing of Harry's House because we didn't know the Gryffindor colors at the time.
Pink Arjuna - Apr 5, 2003 8:42 am (#70 of 73)
I believe Harry posed a threat as a Potter otherwise Voldemort wouldn't have wiped out all of them. From the mirror of erised we know there were alot of them which now no longer exist. However I do feel Harry got a power 'boost' from having his first entanglement with Voldemort. Harry would not be so powerful without Voldemort’s attack. However this makes him more powerful against Voldemort as the place we see it most. It is kinda like it makes Voldemort’s powers less when they are against each other.
Sly Girl - Apr 5, 2003 10:54 am (#71 of 73)
Voldemort effects Harry's scar. Maybe Harry effects Voldemort's judgement. Which certainly would explain why a Dark Lord like him forgets important things all the time...
Cliff Hamaker - Apr 5, 2003 7:52 pm (#73 of 73)
Slytherin Girl, I think, as someone mentioned before, that this is a classic Evil Guy action. They NEVER outright kill their nemesis. They have to do it *slowly* or *do it themsleves* etc. Voldemort is just your average uberpowerful, maniacal, need to kill Harry in just the *right* way, Evil Guy.
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top