HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ron (Archieved Condensed Thread from WC forum)

Go down

Ron  (Archieved Condensed Thread from WC forum) Empty Ron (Archieved Condensed Thread from WC forum)

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 am

Ron (Condensed Thread)

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

S.E. Jones - Nov 19, 2003 8:47 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Jan 12, 2006 11:28 pm

milti girl - Mar 9, 2003 2:51 am
I have a few questions, they haven't been answered in the books:
What colour are his eyes?
Does Hermione like him?
Does HE like Hermione?
He seems to get fair marks in his exams -- but he never answers questions in class and he never seems to actually sit down with his books or anything before the exams, until Hermione starts nagging. That means he's pretty intelligent without trying too hard to impress, right? He is jealous of Harry's fame but at the same time he's a really devoted friend to Harry (he warns him about the diary in the second book, he helps Harry think up ways to stay underwater in the fourth book) and he also encourages Neville to stand up for himself. So -- he's a nice guy overall, right? So how come he's not mad at his own brothers (Fred and George) for being so popular? I mean, he's pretty angry when he's pushed to one side because of other people coming into the limelight. So doesn't that mean he would hate Charlie, Bill, and Percy for being top of their class, and Fred and George for always being the centre of attention? Not to mention Hermione, who's every teacher's favourite?
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Ron  (Archieved Condensed Thread from WC forum) Empty Ron (Condensed Thread)

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:49 am

Lenka - Mar 9, 2003 11:04 am (#4 of 125)
Ron's eyes are most likelly either brown or blue-green. They have to be some "ordinary" color, otherwise Harry would have noticed them (I mean, if they're periwinkle-blue or emerald-green, it would probably be mentioned somewhere).
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Filibuster - Mar 9, 2003 11:53 am (#5 of 125)
His eyes are probably blue. Most people with really ginger hair have blue eyes (and freckles). Interesting fact....Britain has the highest percentage of redheads in the world. Scotland has the most in Britain....must be all those Weasleys at Hogwarts!
Lenka - Mar 9, 2003 12:01 pm (#6 of 125)
I think the red hair symbolizes something - like their rather free way of life (remember their house and garden) as opposed to the Dursleys, for example. I have to think about this...
Liz Mann - Mar 9, 2003 1:18 pm (#7 of 125)
In an interview on barnesandnoble.com:
Q: Is it just me, or was something going on between Ron and Hermione during the last half of Goblet of Fire? I love your books, by the way, and two of them I've read straight through cover to cover in under 24 hours.
JR: Well done on the reading speed! Yes, something's "going on," but Ron doesn't realize it yet. Typical boy.
Liz Mann - Mar 11, 2003 2:31 pm (#9 of 125)
We don't know whether Hermione likes Ron back or not. Well, JK says the answer to that is in GoF.
kabloink! - Mar 11, 2003 4:25 pm (#12 of 125)
I would have thought his eye's would be brown. The only people I know who have naturally red hair and blue eyes have extremely pale redhair, but I happen to know a family with four kids, three of who have "flaming red hair" and all of their eyes' are brown. They are light brown, almost gold, but they are brown.
Cliff Hamaker - Mar 11, 2003 6:54 pm (#13 of 125)
Yeah, the people I know with red hair have green eyes. I do know ONE person with red hair and blue eyes, though.
azi - Mar 12, 2003 12:22 pm (#14 of 125)
My friend, who has ginger hair, has multi-coloured eyes. No they're not contacts and they're a mixture of green, brown, blue, orange and yellow! Most of the people with ginger hair at my school have blue eyes but some have green. However, apparently the most common eye clour here is blue.
Mandy !Noble - Mar 12, 2003 5:31 pm (#18 of 125)
Ron most certainly has a thing for Hermione. The Yente in me called that the second Ron quit liking Krum. But then again, I also called Hermione going to the ball with Krum and the fact that Lockhart was a fake. But I don't know how Herminone feels for him. She's levelheaded and knows that something like this may split up the friendship. But personally (and writing-wise) I see Hermione with Ron.
Cliff Hamaker - Mar 12, 2003 6:45 pm (#21 of 125)
I think it's cool that JK made him into a foreshadowing device. I mean, every time he jokes, it comes true!
S.E. Jones - Mar 13, 2003 3:54 pm (#27 of 125)
Does Hermione have feelings for Ron? I keep thinking about the scene in GoF where the trio is reading the Skeeter article about Hermione and her visiting Krum during the summer. Everyone notices Ron's reaction but I also noticed that Hermione goes out of her way to keep from looking at Ron. I suppose this could be explained by embarrassment but I think it's more than that. There are several other examples of her purposely avoiding eye contact with Ron throughout the book and they all happen when something like the article or Krum comes up.
Penny L. - Mar 14, 2003 7:56 pm (#28 of 125)
I honestly don't care who Ron ends up with, I don't like him that much, but I also can't see the book with out him. I think that he is destined to get "whacked" anyway. Reasons... The unicorn hair, the tramatic effect that it would have on Harry, and the subplots that could ensue. Imagine if Harry no longer had his best friend, and if Hermione didn't have the love of her life...
TGF - Mar 15, 2003 8:28 pm (#29 of 125)
I think that Ron is heading down a dark path. He's become consistently more jealous of Harry, who is all the more famous in the wake of Goblet of Fire. I would not be surprised in the least if Ron foolishly struck against his friend... Doing something foolhardy and then regretting it later in true Ron fashion.
Rosariana - Mar 17, 2003 8:53 pm (#34 of 125)
I also thought that about Ron, but only briefly. At the end of PoA he tells Black that if he wants to kill Harry he will have to kill all three of them. You couldn't ask for a more loyal friend. Of course, Harry and Ron's fight in GoF was scary, but Ron saw the error of his ways and the friendship was saved. So I doubt Ron will choose a dark path. He may temporarily or unknowingly find himself in the wrong place, but by the end of the series I think he will have made the right decision between good and evil.
TGF - Mar 17, 2003 10:06 pm (#36 of 125)
That was before this guy called 'Voldemort' came along, Rosa. Ron might not do something on his own, but, with the Dark Lord beckoning toward him he could easily be turned. He lives in the shadow of his betters. Not only Harry's, but also those of his much-more talented brothers. Voldemort can offer him his own glory. I really don't think that Ron is a strong enough person to resist such a thing.
Lenka - Mar 18, 2003 4:35 am (#37 of 125)
In PoA, Ron is the one to say Sirius will have to kill all three of them. In PS, he's the one who says, "But will the cloak cover all three of us" when Harry tells them he's planning to go down the trapdoor.
Denise S. - Mar 18, 2003 12:27 pm (#38 of 125)
I think we're exaggerating any potential switch Ron would make to Voldemort's side. People have arguments with friends all the time in middle school, but that doesn't mean they go off to someone to help plot that friend's murder. People have their spats, and they usually get over them. Since Harry and Ron have been good friends for a long while, I think there is a 0.0000001% chance of Ron ever switching over to Voldemort's following.
Nine - Mar 18, 2003 3:55 pm (#39 of 125)
Ron's getting worse. He's getting more and more resentful with each book, more willing to quarrel. He needs to figure out that "we are only as strong as we are united" and he needs a self-confidence boost. Ron won't intentionally try to betray Harry (probably), but he might spill secrets to someone who seems harmless when he's very angry that he wouldn't say if he and Harry are on the best of terms. If Voldie's careful, Ron could unwittingly pass a lot of information before he realized to do otherwise.
That said, Ron's brothers and Harry are not Ron's "betters". They have more obvious talent than he does, but are not better than him in any important way.
Carina - Mar 18, 2003 7:18 pm (#40 of 125)
... the key word is "obvious". Ron hasn't had a lot of chances to show off what talents he may have, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have them.
And any kid who can knock out a mountain troll after only one "Wingardium Leviosa" lesson has to have a bit of magical talent.
Sly Girl - Mar 18, 2003 9:36 pm (#41 of 125)
What I noticed at the end of GoF this last re-read is we don't really get to hear about Ron's reaction to everything that happened to Harry (or Hermione's for that matter-except for the part where she catches Rita, she's hardly mentioned). Perhaps the reality and severity of the issues at hand-Voldemort etc will give Ron the push he needs to grow up a bit. He may surprise some of you with how noble and loyal he can be.
Penny L. - Mar 19, 2003 11:55 am (#42 of 125)
But Loyalty isn't the Griffindor's strong point. Remember that Ron's deepest desire is to be Head Boy and Quidditch captain. For years he's been overshadowed by his brothers. How do you think he's going to feel when he's overshadowed by his best friend and girlfriend? I think that Ron is either going to redeam himself somehow, or somehow find out about Harry asking Fred and George to get him dress robes, and feel even worse. It could even be the catalyst to push him over to the dark side.
Liz Mann - Mar 19, 2003 3:35 pm (#46 of 125)
Ron does have his talents! He's a brilliant chess player and where would they have been in PS/SS without that? He got his moment to shine there, even if no one except his friends saw it. Everyone found out, though, and he was the center of attention for a moment.
I think Ron's going to do something that'll make him a hero, too, at some point. Even more so than he was in book 1. Maybe he'll help Harry defeat Voldemort. Or, if he does die, it might be while trying to save Harry. And if Harry then defeats Voldemort, Ron will have some of the credit because Harry wouldn't have been alive to defeat him if it weren't for Ron. They could give him the Order of Merlin or something.
TGF - Mar 19, 2003 5:07 pm (#47 of 125)
I've always thought that chess thing was overrated.
I always thought that Hermoine's contribution to PS was more significant than Ron's. I don't see him as being anything other than horribly mediocre as far as wizarding goes. Has he mastered any more-complex spells the way Harry or Hermoine has? Does he in fact know any spells outside of the ones tought in school curriculum?
The fact of the matter is that Ron isn't the most hard working guy (A certain JK quote of 'what's right rather than what's easier' comes to mind) around and that he shows little in the way of passion for magic. Compared to Harry and Hermoine (by far the strongest students at Hogwarts) he's already obsolete.
Ron has, throughout the series, demonstrated extreme foolishness. He assumes things, is often quite sensitive and stubborn. And that's fine, not everyone is of strong character. But, with the Dark Lord rising once more, Ron's weakness is one that can easily be taken advantage of. And there is the point that he was extremely vulnerable to the Imperius curse as well...
Penny L. - Mar 19, 2003 7:30 pm (#48 of 125)
The fact of the matter is, that Ron feels overshawdowed. And anyone who has ever felt like that knows that its very difficult to change your way of thinking. The fact that he's got older brothers who do so well in life, and his best friend is a [reluctant] "star", will probably make him feel like he won't do so well. I know from experience that when you fall into thinking "I’m so poor. I'm not as smart as my friends, etc. etc." its easy to forget that you actually have to work hard to get those postitions. Perhaps Ron is going through that rut. He probably knows that those people - Quidditch Captain(Charlie), Head Boy (Bill, Percy), Super Dark Magic Fighter (Harry) do work hard, but because they make it look easy (Bill?), look like a geek (Percy), and don't want to be famous (Harry), Ron feels that either they don't work as hard as he will have to, or that its just not worth it. I just think that Ron is in for a serious reality check in the future.
Sly Girl - Mar 19, 2003 9:20 pm (#49 of 125)
Just because loyalty isn't a Griffyndor strong point doesn't mean Ron can't show it. Harry has shown loyalty, has he not? Does this mean Harry isn't a Griffyndor? I would argue that the house 'strong' points are not so black and white and that the well rounded student will show a little bit of each house. Ron can show he is loyal regardless of which house he's in.
As for the chess thing, being a strong player is important because it shows that Ron can think analytically. JKR showed us a few times that Ron was better at that then Harry, so I don't think you can just wave away Ron's importance in the first book. Harry needed help from both his friends. Not everyone 'gets' chess. Not everyone plays it well.
Ron is almost the antithesis of Draco Malfoy. Draco comes from a wizarding family, like Ron. Malfoy's take their talents and wealth and shove it into people's faces. The Weasley's do not. Harry befriends Ron, not Draco. Why? Because Harry is a good kid who knows what it's like to be mistreated. He sees a similarity in Ron's situation. Ron has the full family that Harry has probably always wanted. Yes, Ron has jealousies. But Harry wasn't exactly an angel during that whole time himself... he has shown a definite stubborn streak. I think if Ron can grow up a bit, he will become his own person and have his own self-confidence and not have to rely on just being 'Harry's' best friend.
Liz Mann - Mar 20, 2003 6:42 am (#50 of 125)
If Ron hadn't been there in PS/SS, not only would Harry and Hermione got have gone on and Harry not saved the stone, but they probably would have been killed by the other pieces in the attempt. Chess is a hard game, and like Slytherin Girl said, it shows Ron can think analyticaly. Yes, he's stubbon at times and his comments can be hurtful, but he doesn't mean it. He has shown Harry real loyalty in the past and even if he does get jealous of him sometimes, I think he'll show him loyalty in the future as well. Besides, I'm sure Harry's slightly jealous of Ron, too. I mean, Ron's got what Harry wants more than anything in the world - a family, whom, by the way, Harry adores and probably wishes he was a part of. Remember what he said in Goblet of Fire? Something along the lines of, "You can tell Ron I'll swap (lives) anyday!"
Nine - Mar 21, 2003 12:08 pm (#53 of 125)
I don't think Ron would think that much of himself unless he was useful in a way that no one else could outshine him at. Or at least no one of his generation.
I wonder...combat may be inevitable, and Ron's good at chess. Maybe he'll be a brilliant tactician. Generals certainly get noticed as much as their most successful soldiers.
Carina - Mar 21, 2003 9:59 pm (#61 of 125)
After all, isn't that all chess is really, a game of troops at war? Ron would be an excellent tactical officer!
Sly Girl - Mar 23, 2003 10:19 am (#73 of 125)
Sorcerer's Stone:
"Ron also started teaching Harry wizard chess. This was exactly like Muggle chess except that the figures were alive, which made it a lot like directing troops in battle." Chapter 12
JKR herself draws the comparison. Does this mean Ron is destined to command troops? Probably not. Does it mean that he may, as Nine suggested, get to use his talent with chess in a more pratical way? Perhaps.
Pinky - Mar 23, 2003 6:43 pm (#78 of 125)
Ron must have some good interpersonal skills that he just hasn't put into practice with real people yet. In PS, p. 147 (ch 12), it says that "Ron knew them [the chessmen] so well he never had trouble getting them to do what he wanted. Harry played with chessmen Seamus Finnigan had lent him and they didn't trust him at all. He wasn't a very good player yet...." So not only is Ron a good tactician, but he has earned the trust of his chessmen. Perhaps when and if there is a big battle, Ron will have earned the trust of his classmates and he can direct their coordinated efforts.
Detail Seeker - Mar 25, 2003 9:15 am (#84 of 125)
Thinking about Ron´s character traits: He is a logical thinker, he is a good tactician and he seems to be somebody others give some esteem. He is not bad at school either, as some said. He is not pick of the crop - but, as far as I understood, quite good in everything he takes. What will hamper his abilities to lead in danger is, that is is prone to panic. (See him being caught in the devil´s snare in PS or when standing against Aragog in CoS) Once he comes over this, he will see what to do in a situation of need . And under extreme pressure, others follow the first one taking the command. .
Kathy Lynch - Mar 25, 2003 11:33 am (#85 of 125)
Okay, TGF, let's say Ron DOES go bad. Do you think he's going to stay that way, or do you think he'll pull a Snape, realize the error of his ways, and somehow ingratiate himself back into the good guys' group?
S.E. Jones - Mar 25, 2003 1:49 pm (#86 of 125)
"What will hamper his abilities to lead in danger is, that he is prone to panic."
Detail Seeker, I think you're thinking of the movies and not the books. In PS, Ron is a bit rushed, being strangled by a big plant and all, but isn't panicky. Frankly, I don't think CoS really counts because the situation dealt with his particular phobia and phobias are illogical fears. Still I think that it should be pointed out that he still went into the forest despite his aracnophobia.
George Prescott - Apr 5, 2003 2:06 pm (#106 of 125)
Ron's loyalty is unshakable. Check GoF, Chapter 29 - Ron is willingly serving in effect as a punching bag for Harry's trying out the Stunning Spell. The only reason why he wants to stop is because he's aching all over (Well, he keeps missing the cushions!). To be willing to do that, that's loyalty.
Ron's bravery also is unchallengeable. In PS/SS, Chapter 16, Ron does the sacrifice knowing full well there is no certainty he'd live (see what happened to their other knight) and after telling them not to worry about him ("now, don't hang around once you've won"). Bravery like that in wartime gets you the Congressional Medal of Honor or the Victoria Cross - all too often posthumously. Likewise in CoS - Ron goes into the Chamber armed only with a broken wand to face a monster he knows that if you go eyeball to eyeball with it, you're dead. In PoA he's ready to die with Harry when faced with Sirius Black.
Mrs. Black - Apr 18, 2003 11:22 am (#110 of 125)
What makes Ron such a great character is that while he is increadibly loyal, brave and everything else Rowling has written him to also be real and believeable. Like any kid, or adult for that matter, Ron gets mad at his friends, he gets jealous of Harry and basks in his chance at the limelight and he might not speak to Hermione for a while. But, when push comes to shove all those things that make us love him come shining through. If he was always happy with everyone we, or at least I, would want to slap him upside the head and tell him to act like a real person. His loyalty and bravery shine through all the more when we also see him being petty and and the immature 14 year old that he is.
Jenny M. - Apr 28, 2003 7:53 pm (#111 of 125)
You know where Ron's gift for analytical chess-like thinking would absolutely shine? As a tactician for a Quidditch team! I just bet that he'll end up working out strategy for Gryffindor's Quidditch team, and then for the Chudley Cannons or some other professional team. After he saves the School and wins that special award.
Wednesday Weasley - May 18, 2003 11:26 pm (#115 of 125)
I think Ron & the Imperius Curse are destined to meet again at some point. Or Ron and some form of mind-control, anyway.
I just don't know if we would have seen Ron under the influence of Veelas so often (and so severely!) in GoF... even Fleur's paltry 1/4-Veela heritage had him asking her to the ball before he knew what hit him. Plus, Moody's Imperius Curse didn't wear off of him until lunchtime, whereas Harry fought it off.
Cliff Hamaker - May 19, 2003 6:44 pm (#116 of 125)
"The innocents are the first to die."
Cliff Hamaker - May 19, 2003 6:59 pm (#118 of 125)
Firenze says that in the Forbidden Forest when Harry is serving his detention. He is talking about the unicorn, and guess who has a unicorn hair as a core for his wand?
Sly Girl - May 19, 2003 9:22 pm (#119 of 125)
I gotta debate the Unicorn Hair thing meaning certain death. The first wand that Ron has was his brother's, correct? A hand me down from Charlie. Guess what sort of hair was in it? Yep. Unicorn. Now does this mean Charlie Weasley will die?..I mean technically, he had the wand first...the hair was his..first.
The fact that Ron had the hair in his second wand could just be a clue to the Weasley's as a whole and not that Ron is due to meet his doom.
Makgraf - May 20, 2003 1:02 pm (#123 of 125)
We're not saying that one third of the wizarding world is going to die just because they got unicorn hair in their wand. It's symbolism that Rowling is using. First a unicorn dies in PS. Then Cedric (unicorn wanded) dies in GoF. Not many characters have their wands introduced, the fact that Rowling told us Ron had the unicorn hair in his wand, I think shows she's hinting he'll die. Or maybe it's all a giant red herring as Rowling is wont to do. But I certainly don't think it should be dismissed out of hand.
Cliff Hamaker - May 20, 2003 1:08 pm (#124 of 125)
Maybe she'll bring Ron close to death and pull him back through some sort of selfless act.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down