The Triwizard Cup and Other Portkeys (Condensed Thread)

Go down

The Triwizard Cup and Other Portkeys (Condensed Thread) Empty The Triwizard Cup and Other Portkeys (Condensed Thread)

Post  Elanor on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:59 am

The Triwizard Cup and Other Portkeys (Condensed Thread)

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

shepherdess - Dec 4, 2003 8:49 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Jan 12, 2006 11:38 pm
A discussion about how portkeys work.

lilly - Jan 31, 2003 1:07 pm
Why did Moody use the triwizard cup as a portkey to be transfered to Voldemort? Could Moody just have had the winners be tranported to a random place and Voldie and the Death Eaters just happened to be there?
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

The Triwizard Cup and Other Portkeys (Condensed Thread) Empty The Triwizard Cup and Other Portkeys (Condensed Thread)

Post  Elanor on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:00 am

Denise S. - Jan 31, 2003 1:16 pm (#1 of 29)
Because so great/respected/accomplished a wizard as Moody would have been brought in to help tighten security and he would have had his hands on the cup all the time, gotten involved in all the events, and it would have been perfectly alright (and expected). But if he had been seen setting something extra up, something that didn't quite fit into the order of things, it might've raised a few suspicions.

As far as why they were transported to a specific place (i.e. the graveyard), that was because Voldemort needed the bones of his father.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nine - Jan 31, 2003 1:16 pm (#2 of 29)
If you're asking why use a portkey at all, it's because the rules wouldn't have provided for the winners to be transported to a random point, and a (supposed) ex-Auror/current DADA teacher wouldn't have the authority to change the rules. Only Ludo Bagman and Bartemius Crouch, Sr. would have had the authority.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kip Carter - Jan 31, 2003 6:43 pm (#3 of 29)
Once and object has been set up as a portkey, how long will it remain as a poerkey? Could someone at Hogwarts grab the "returned" TriWizard Cup and immediately be transported back to the graveyard to join the "reborn" Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters? Could both the person and the Cup be hidden under an invisibility cloak?

If Harry and Cedric had held onto the Cup when they arrived would they automatically sent back to Hogwarts and could have avoided Cedric's death? Is there a time limit before you can return using a portkey?

Think of the "boot" portkey that the Weasleys etal used to go to the Quidditch World Cup. There was no way that you could forecast the time necessary of the match.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rosariana - Jan 31, 2003 7:47 pm (#4 of 29)
I've always wondered about the Triwizard Cup versus the boot. The first time I read GoF I noticed the boot left at an allotted time, whereas the Cup transported them as soon as it was touched. This never made sense to me. However I have come up with a reasonable explanation. Maybe most Portkeys are like the Triwizard Cup: they transport the users to a specified location the moment they are touched, no matter what time it is. The Quidditch World Cup Portkeys couldn't follow this because like Mr. Weasley said, they needed to space the arrivals. Maybe the Ministry placed extra charms on the QWC Portkeys to make them only active at a certain time.
Madam Poppy - Jan 31, 2003 9:19 pm (#5 of 29)
After arriving at the campsite, Mr. Weasley picked up the boot and handed it to a wizard, "who threw it into a large box of used Portkeys." (Note Arthur touched it right away and he didn't go back to Stoatshead.) After the World Cup was over and the group wanted to go home, "they were able to take an old rubber tire back to Stoatshead Hill." Was the tire then no longer a Portkey or did it magically return to the World Cup to be reused?

I picture the Portkey to be sort of like a plane ticket with a specific destination, departure and arrival time. The boot and tire would be one-way tickets. Was the Triwizard Cup returning to its sender or possibly a round-trip Portkey? Question is, if it was a round-trip, who was suppose to come back? Not Harry, he was expected to be dead.
W J - Jan 31, 2003 10:05 pm (#6 of 29)
The theory on the Lexicon is that after Harry was dead, Voldemort and his Death Eaters would take the PortKey back to Hogwarts for a surprise attack.
Diagon Nilly - Feb 1, 2003 8:17 am (#8 of 29)
It sounds strange since Dumbledore would be there, but it's a plausable explaination for why the portkey would still be on and set to "return trip".
Sly Girl - Feb 1, 2003 9:08 am (#9 of 29)
Voldemort was probably thinking that when he killed Harry he would be indestructible and be able to take Dumbledore. Voldemort seems to get extremely confident- so much so that he thinks no one can hurt him.
Landman - Feb 1, 2003 1:12 pm (#10 of 29)
We're programmed to think that the first time we encounter some magic behavior, it is the one and only way that it will work. But clearly in the case of the Portkey that is not true. JKR introduces the concept of the Portkey, but did not detail every instance of how it could be used.

My Interpretation: The Portkey can be set to be one-way, or round-trip. You have to let go of the Portkey in order for the return trip to be activated (poor Harry and Cedric -- if they had only known.).

You can program it to turn off if no one uses it in a certain time limit.

In short, you can program it any way you want as long as it retains the characteristics of a Portkey.
Prefect Marcus - Feb 5, 2003 4:43 pm (#23 of 29)
Here is my theory. Portkey spells have two elements you have to specify: the arming time and the destination. You have to specify both in order for the spell to work.

Portkeys can have multiple trips programmed in them. In this way a traveller can go from point to point to point to point using only one portkey. All that is necessary is for a sucession of portkey charms to be placed on the object, each with their own arming time and destination.

Here is an example. Suppose someone wishes to do a little shopping at Diagon Alley, then pop over to a friend's house before coming home. They would program a portkey as follows:

1st Arming: 9:00AM 1st Destination: Diagon Alley

2nd Arming: 10:00AM 2nd Destination: Friend's House

3rd Arming: 12:00PM 3rd Destination: Home

The portkey would arm itself at 9:00. However, our traveller has a late breakfast and isn't ready until 10:15. He touches it and is transported to Diagon Alley. Since the visit to the friend is supposed to arm at 10:00, the portkey immediately begins recharging. It takes some time to do so, however, so the traveller is able to handle it safely and stow it in a pocket. He only touches it when he wishes to go to his friend's house.

Now given these rules, the behavior of the porkeys in the books become plain. The Tri-wizard cup was made a portkey in the first place to transport the winner instantly to the "winner's circle" outside the maze. The spell was likely placed on the cup by Dumbledore, McGonagall, or Flitwick and set to arm shortly after the start of the third task. Pseudo-Moody put a second portkey spell on it set to arm just before the start of the task. In this way the Voldemort trip took precedence over the winner's circle trip.

This also explains why Cedric's shadow knew the Portkey would take Harry back since he knew about the first spell. When he and Harry first arrived, he was confused and didn't know what to think. This is NOT where he expected to be. Tragically, he didn't have enough time to think it through before being killed.
Olivia Wood - Feb 17, 2003 7:38 am (#24 of 29)
I thought that the Triwizard Cup was used as the portkey instead of Harry's toothbrush becouse of the 'binding magical contract' surrounding the tournament. Moody used the magic of the Triwizard Tournament to nullify the magic protecting Harry.
Olivia Wood - Feb 17, 2003 1:54 pm (#26 of 29)
Do you make an everyday object into a portkey or do wizards just make portkeys that look like everyday objects?
Rosariana - Feb 26, 2003 6:49 pm (#27 of 29)
I think wizards make everyday objects into Portkeys, Olivia, but I could be wrong.
Denise S. - Mar 13, 2003 9:00 am (#28 of 29)
In regards to why Crouch Jr. couldn't have made Harry's toothbrush a port key right away and given Harry to Voldemort at the beginning of the year: I think there's also the possibility that Voldemort had to wait a while until he could do the rebirthing spell. Maybe he could have performed it starting around Dec. or Jan.--by then he might as well wait until Harry had the cup (he said something like 'I've waited 13 years, a couple more months won't hurt' in Ch.1 of book 4)
Buckbeat - May 2, 2003 3:19 pm (#29 of 29)
Hogward is protected and one canĀ“t apparate into it, but using a Portkey seems to have the same effect (turning up unexpectedly). Maybe they should install some Anti-Portkeying precautions.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down