HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mimbulus Mimbletonia

Go down

Mimbulus Mimbletonia Empty Mimbulus Mimbletonia

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:35 am

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing, which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. It was copied/saved by Lady Arabella and reformatted/reposted by Potteraholic. ~Potteraholic

mike miller - Apr 23, 2004 12:09 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't see this interesting plant having it's own discussion thread under Magical Creatures and Plants so here goes.

I think there is more to this little plant than just Stink Sap. JKR is telling us that this is important by making it the password to the Gryffindor Tower. We know that Herbology is Neville's best subject and that the plant is very rare. Neville is starting to come into his own, improving in the DA and surviving the MoM battle. Since it is widely believed that Neville will play a key role in the future, why not have Neville discover some very powerful use for this plant?

I'm not sure what the use could be, some kind of potion, some defense against Voldemort's intrusions into Harry's mind (Occlumency hasn't worked so well thus far). Any thoughts or ideas?

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Mimbulus Mimbletonia Empty Mimbulus Mimbletonia (posts #1 - #50)

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:38 am

mike miller - Apr 23, 2004 12:09 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't see this interesting plant having it's own discussion thread under Magical Creatures and Plants so here goes.

I think there is more to this little plant than just Stink Sap. JKR is telling us that this is important by making it the password to the Gryffindor Tower. We know that Herbology is Neville's best subject and that the plant is very rare. Neville is starting to come into his own, improving in the DA and surviving the MoM battle. Since it is widely believed that Neville will play a key role in the future, why not have Neville discover some very powerful use for this plant?

I'm not sure what the use could be, some kind of potion, some defense against Voldemort's intrusions into Harry's mind (Occlumency hasn't worked so well thus far). Any thoughts or ideas?

---------------------------------------------------

Loopy Lupin - Apr 23, 2004 11:26 am (#1 of 120)

Interesting thought. I would say it was just a mechanism for Harry to show Harry embarrassed on the train, but she did make it the password later which shows that, at least to the person who sets the password, its a well-known plant.

NYCNomad - Apr 23, 2004 11:44 am (#2 of 120)

I agree with Mike, Loopy. It is mentioned again near the end and how Prof. Sprout liked it and he was going to try to breed it. Combine that with the ride to Hogwarts, and it being the password, I think that we have either a red herring or another clue of something to watch. But what it could lead to, I have no idea.

haymoni - Apr 23, 2004 12:05 pm (#3 of 120)

The password to the common room was "Mimbulus Mimbletonia" and it stayed the password a long time as I recall. I remember several passwords used throughout the year in the other books.

I don't know who picks the passwords, but isn't that a bit coincidental? I mean Neville, who is not exactly known for his memory, gets this plant and it just happens to be the first password of the year? Odd isn't it?

Padfoot - Apr 23, 2004 12:15 pm (#4 of 120)

Hmmm.... I wonder if Mimbulus Mimbletonia is going to be the "cure" for Neville's parents?

Catherine - Apr 23, 2004 12:41 pm (#5 of 120)

I posted this idea on the Snape thread, but I think that the Mimbulus Mimbletonia is a symbol.

My example on that thread was Snape's cursing and calling Lily a Mudblood in the Pensieve scene. We know from the times Harry glimpsed Snape's thoughts during the Legilimens scene that Snape seemed to be lonely and neglected as a child and teen. He wasn't good-looking or popular. When James antagonized Snape, Snape lashed out with "filth" (i.e. cursing, foul name). This is like the ugly, stunted Mimbulus Mimbletonia when Neville prodded it--it spewed stinksap over everyone around it. It has, as Neville says, "an amazing defense mechanism." It just reminds me of how people are when they are picked on and have no self-esteem.

But we see that with Neville's nurturing, the plant has grown and now makes happy noises when he strokes it. It shows how love and care can make a difference.

mike miller - Apr 23, 2004 2:33 pm (#6 of 120)

Interesting idea Padfoot! I like it!

Catherine, you make a very good case for the symbolic value of the Mimbulus Mimbletonia. Could it be more than just symbolic? I haven't seen anything else that would make me link the plant to Snape other than plants are often key ingredients in potions.

Catherine - Apr 23, 2004 2:47 pm (#7 of 120)

Well, Mike, I think "symbolic" is enough of a connection with Snape, if it helps us to understand him, or the novels in general better.

JKR gives us a lot literal connections, but it's up to the individual to figure out the more abstract connections.

To literally connect the plant with Snape, no, I can't right now. Do I think the theme of nurturing applies with such beleaguered characters as Harry, Neville, and Snape? Yes, I do!

Neville relates dreams that link his grandmother with a giant pair of scissors--and we've seen him being literally "cut down" by comparisons with his father. Harry spent his first 11 years in a closet under the staircase. Snape had parents who argued and ignored him. The Mimbulus plant is described as "stunted." I think that describes Neville, Harry, and Snape in some "figurative" ways.

Wolfcire - Apr 23, 2004 3:04 pm (#8 of 120)

This little plant I believe will definitely come up again. It was Neville's gift first later the Password.

Everyone knows that if JKR repeats it, something is going on.

I have no ideas to what it could be, but my guess would coincide with someone else's about a cure for Neville's parents.

haymoni - Apr 23, 2004 4:55 pm (#9 of 120)

Maybe the plant will help connect Neville & Snape - they'll make a potion to cure the Longbottoms out of the stinksap and one of the plants listed in that book Barty/Moody gave Neville - "Plants of the Mediterranean" or whatever it was called.

Catherine - Apr 23, 2004 5:40 pm (#10 of 120)

I hadn't thought of that, Haymoni, but often for the greater good, we have to ally ourselves with those that we don't really like. Neville's greatest fear, at least as of PoA, was Snape. Snape has been really hurtful toward Neville, but it would be so VERY interesting to see them allied in a project.

Hmmm. VERY interesting thought. I must mull it over.....

haymoni - Apr 23, 2004 5:45 pm (#11 of 120)

I know it is a stretch, but I can't help but think that the stinksap stuff has more to it than Stink!

NYCNomad - Apr 27, 2004 5:53 am (#12 of 120)

I agree. There must be something about it. I keep racking my brain trying find some hidden phrase or wording that might give a hint, but still nothing. I like the idea that it might be a cure for the Longbottoms. I'm also curious of Neville’s attempts to breed it, or mate it, or whatever he was going to do with it.

mike miller - Apr 27, 2004 7:13 am (#13 of 120)

One possibility is that the Stink Sap can be a critical element in some kind of defensive potion. When we are first introduced to this plant, Neville say something about it having an interesting defense mechanism (sorry - I don't have a copy of the book handy). That statement leads me to believe that some defensive potion could be made that once drunk could make curses bounce off the intended victim or something to that effect.

I'm also partial to the potential cure for the Longbottoms as I believe they have some critical piece of information to share; a high-ranking MoM official who's a DE or spy within the ranks of the Order.

NYCNomad - Good question about the attempts to breed it. Maybe it goes through different phase like a caterpillar to a butterfly producing different type of "Sap" with different uses; or, maybe if it flowers....

Blast - Apr 27, 2004 6:59 pm (#14 of 120)

I wonder if there is something more to the incident with the plant on the train. Harry et al got a good soaking with the stinksap. I wonder if this will come into play later on. Neville said that he was going to give a cutting to Professor Sprout, and I can't help thinking that maybe there is something in the stinksap that she will discover.

Chris. - May 12, 2004 2:51 am (#15 of 120)
Edited May 12, 2004 4:04 am

In OP, Neville tells Harry and Ginny that he got his Mimbulus Mimbletonia.

"It's really, really rare," said Neville, beaming "I don't know if there's one in the greenhouse at Hogwarts, even. I can't wait to show it to Professor Sprout. My Great Uncle Algie got it for me in Assyria. I'm going to see if I can breed it,"(Ch10, p169, UK edition)

Some info on Assyria:

Assyrians were a great power of Mesopotamia (ancient Near East or better know currently as Iraq, Iran, Arabia, etc.) circa 900-600 BC. The Assyrians were conquerors. One of the places that they invaded was the Northern Kingdom of Israel in 721 BC. In the library of Ashurbanipal the epic Gilgamesh was found which tells the story of the corrupt king Gilgamesh. After the death of Ashurbanipal in 627 BC, Babylon (modern day Bagdad) revolted against Assyria and the empire finally crumbled in 612 BC.

Did Uncle Algie do some time travelling to get the plant for Neville?

Also, there is a story of King Gilgamesh who I mentioned above. He was a hero in Assyrian (!) mythology, his final quest is to find a rare plant (!) that grants immortality (!) but it is stolen from him by a snake (!).

Will Neville use the plant to cure his parents?

EDIT: Oh Oh Oh! Voldemort is sometimes described as a snake, and Gilgamesh's rare plant was stolen by a snake, and we all know Voldemort desires immortality! He could steal it from Neville.. I feel so proud of myself for doing this long message! And who were the ones affected by the Veil and covered by stinksap? I think it was Luna, Neville, Ginny and Harry. I wonder if the Mimbulus Mimbletonia has something to do with life and death.

Padfoot - May 12, 2004 10:10 am (#16 of 120)

Interesting theory Prongs. Where did you get your information on King Gilgamesh? That rare plant sounds a lot like the Philosopher's Stone. Hmmm... have to think about this one.

Chris. - May 12, 2004 10:36 am (#17 of 120)

Padfoot, I got my information from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

(Anyone know how to do the link without showing the whole address?)

Padfoot - May 12, 2004 10:46 am (#18 of 120)

Very interesting reading Prongs. I thought this part was worth posting here.

"Utnapishtim's wife takes pity on Gilgamesh and asks her husband to tell him about the plant that can make him young again, if not immortal. Gilgamesh dives into the sea to pick the plant, but loses it later, while bathing, because a snake slithers up and eats it."

I wonder if Mimbulus Mimbletonia grows under water too? If so, it should be in that Underwater plants book that Neville was reading.

Chris. - May 12, 2004 10:53 am (#19 of 120)
Edited May 12, 2004 12:22 pm

I never saw that bit but great idea! I hope Neville read the book cover to cover.

mike miller - May 12, 2004 12:28 pm (#20 of 120)

Prongs - Interesting link to Assyria, Gilgamesh and a SNAKE. I think there are 2 possibilities for this "rare" plant. First, a possible cure for Neville's parents. There has been a lot of speculation on other threads regarding what information may be revealed if the Longbottoms regained their mental faculties.

Second, as some kind of defense against Voldemort. As much as I like the cure option, I'm partial to the defensive possibilities. When we are first introduced to Mimbulus Mimbletonia Neville tells us "It's got an amazing defensive mechanism..." and then their all covered in stinksap. Since JKR doesn’t just though references into her story, I think the key word is "defensive". Exactly what or how this defensive mechanism can be put to work against Voldemort I'm not entirely sure.

Dr Filibuster - May 12, 2004 12:31 pm (#21 of 120)

Oooh Prongs, nice research.

I do like your theory on Harry, Ginny, Nev and Luna (HGN&L) hearing the voices through the veil because of the stinksap incident.

A few of us were trying to think of a connection between HGN&L with regards to the Veil. We kept wondering if they had all had near death experiences, but we were only speculating about Luna and Neville. This new suggestion is very intriguing.

Emily - Jun 2, 2004 4:12 pm (#22 of 120)

So is it possible that the stinksap brings you closer to death? I don't mean closer to dying, but, say, where you could receive messages from the dead or something? Am I dreaming, or is this another possibility for Harry 'seeing' Sirius again?

I also like the plant being a defense against Voldie. (I'm glad we're allowed to say that again) Maybe Harry should get one.

Pinky - Jun 12, 2004 5:13 am (#23 of 120)

I only just now saw this thread. Neville's Mimbulus Mimbletonia plant is responsible for my first theory after reading the 5th book. I don't think any of you have touched on it yet, so I'm going to post something I wrote about it soon after reading the book.

--------

I think Neville's plant is responsible for much of the change in him. He arrives with it the first time we see him, and the plant is mentioned again later in the book. We learn that it is very rare, but other than its ability to shoot stinksap, we don't learn what its actual properties are. As you know, JKR likes taking things from the real world and changing them ever so slightly and then using them in her own world. She's done this with a lot of mythology. I believe Neville's Mimbulus Mimbletonia plant falls into this category. Mimbulus is very close to the real-world Mimbulus plant.

I did some research last night and came up with this: "Mimbulus is the remedy for known fears. In other words whenever you are frightened of something or you are anxious about something, and you can say what that something is, then Mimbulus is the remedy to take. Mimbulus fears are everyday fears - fear of public speaking, of the dark, of aggressive dogs, or of illness or pain.

Phobias such as the fear of spiders or of birds are also Mimbulus fears, since the cause of the fear can be named. Where the phobia is very great so that the sight of a spider for example causes sheer terror, then Rock Rose might be given as well as or instead of Mimbulus. And where the fear is diffuse and there is general anxiety and apprehension without a specific named cause then Aspen is the remedy to consider.

Mimbulus is used as a type remedy for people who tend to be nervous, timid and shy generally. Sometimes people of this type may blush easily or stammer, and they will usually avoid social occasions and any event where they will be in the limelight. Mimbulus is the remedy to encourage the quiet courage and strength that lies hidden in such people, so that they can face the everyday trials of life with steadfastness. "

The above was taken from: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Diagon Nilly - Jun 12, 2004 6:27 am (#24 of 120)

Maybe that's how he found his courage to go to the DoM. It'll be interesting to see if he's noticeably more confident in book 6. He deserves to be, anyway.

Padfoot - Jun 14, 2004 9:01 am (#25 of 120)

He did gain confidence over OotP. Interesting idea. I hope he continues to gain confidence, with or without the plant.

Chris. - Jun 20, 2004 12:50 am (#26 of 120)

Gobstones squirt disgusting liquid at the opposing player when they lose a point. Could this "disgusting liquid" be stinkstap?

Mellilot Flower. - Jun 20, 2004 12:05 pm (#27 of 120)

I'm pretty sure stinksap has been mentioned before in the books... at least when I read it in Luna Lovegood (as in the chapter) it rang bells. But I couldn't place it then and I can't place it now.

I really like the idea that it is linked to the veil somehow, but hmmm.... I'm not entirely convinced.

Liz - Jun 20, 2004 12:30 pm (#28 of 120)

Perhaps they learned in Herbology some year...I'm not sure though, I don't think I've read it in the first few books, I'll have to look into that.

Chris. - Jun 20, 2004 3:54 pm (#29 of 120)

They can't have. The greenhouses at Hogwarts don't have a Mimbulus Mimbletonia unless stinksap is a factor in other plants, which I don’t think it is, seeing as Neville says the Mimbulus Mimbletonia is rare.

Liz - Jun 20, 2004 5:08 pm (#30 of 120)
Edited Jun 20, 2004 6:09 pm

Yes but, I am making this up so don't tell me what I already know doesn't exist, I believe stinksap was the cure for unprocessed Bubotuber puss, I think. If not I think it sounds intelligent almost something Hermione might say eh?

I know that stinksap is not a cure for unprocessed Bubotuber Puss all right*

Please don't comment*

Chris. - Jun 20, 2004 5:56 pm (#31 of 120)
Edited Jun 20, 2004 6:58 pm

Elizabeth- Yes but, I am making this up so don't tell me what I already know doesn't exist

I didn't mean to come of as if I was ruining your whole idea. I was only stating that there is no Mimbulus Mimbletonia in the greenhouses at Hogwarts (up until Harry's fifth year at least, if Neville gave Sprout a cutting of the plant)

There have been discussions over the Mimbulus Mimbletonia having healing powers, as you suggested.

Liz - Jun 20, 2004 7:38 pm (#32 of 120)

Well it is possible that they heard about its healing powers, and I'm sure Hermione would know what the healing powers are.

It is possible that they would have learned about Mimbulus Mimbletonia as an antidote for something they were working with, and the antidote would be accessible through the Room of Requirement even if it was from a plant they didn't have so...

You never know...

Chris. - Jun 20, 2004 7:59 pm (#33 of 120)

It is possible as Hermione knows probably knows the magical fungi and herbs books better than anyone. Actually, does Hogwarts have Herbology books for classes, apart from Neville's book from Moody?

As for the RoR theory, it is possible but not likely because I don't think a lot of people knew about it before OotP that is.

Liz - Jun 20, 2004 8:56 pm (#34 of 120)
Edited Jun 20, 2004 9:58 pm

Well DD knew about the RoR and I don't think that he would let a student need an antidote and him knowing how to get Mimbulus Mimbletonia the whole time and letting a kid suffer.

I don't think the book list said anything about a Herbology book, anyone know about that?

Chris. - Jun 21, 2004 6:00 am (#35 of 120)

I don't think Dumbledore or anyone (except Filch and his cleaning products) uses the RoR regularly, taking things away with them. Surely Dumbledore would just say he needed a way to destroy Voldemort, and :Pop!: it would be there...maybe.

Just checked the Lexicon to see about the Herbology book, no sign of one seeing as Herbology is probably more of a practical subject.

Mellilot Flower. - Jun 21, 2004 6:13 am (#36 of 120)

I think that if DD went backwards and forwards asking for a way to defeat Voldemort Harry would unexpectedly find himself in the room of requirement. I can't remember the exact quote, but I do seem to remember somewhere saying that the room can only provide things that are already in the castle... but I could be wrong on that.

Julia. - Jun 21, 2004 8:31 am (#37 of 120)

Prongs, correct me if I'm wrong, but for Herbology don't they use One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore?

azi - Jun 21, 2004 11:26 am (#38 of 120)
Edited Jun 21, 2004 12:27 pm

They definitely use that book in potions. I can't remember it being mentioned in relation to a Herbology lesson. I would assume it has been used, just not mentioned.

Round Pink Spider - Jun 24, 2004 1:30 pm (#39 of 120)

Actually, I'm kind of thinking that Neville's plant is a baaaaad plant. It may look innocent now, but I don't think it will stay that way. JKR has given us hints already that this is a bad cactus.

1. Just before Neville pulled it out, the sky filled with "ominously gray clouds". Another example of bad weather associated with the arrival of an enemy would be the stormy weather when the fake Mad-Eye Moody made an entrance.

2. JKR also described it in some pretty threatening language. She said it had the "sinister look of some diseased internal organ."

3. Dark green as a color for the stinksap is a bad sign. (Not everyone believes in JKR's hidden meaning in color thing, but there's a thread about color, 'Hidden Meanings of Color', and I made some comments there. I'll leave it at that.)

4. I think the stinksap is associated with lies and deception in some way. Truth and lies were big themes in OotP. Twice in OotP, when Rita Skeeter was forced to keep her lies to herself, JKR said she looked like she'd swallowed stinksap or was tasting it. Harry, on the other hand, spat it out instead of swallowing it (he wouldn't swallow the lies being told about him).

5. I've read that the Mimbulus flower got out of control all over the University of Exeter, the university JKR attended, and became a noxious weed. Perhaps Neville's plant will do the same.

TheQuibbler - Jun 26, 2004 3:34 pm (#40 of 120)

I don't think that the plant will have any curing qualities in the future. I believe it was to help establish what Neville is good at and show that he can remember things when he's interested. In books 4 and 5 they clearly define that Neville is good at Herbology, therefore showing that even the most seemingly weak people have strengths.

toonwarrior - Jul 24, 2004 7:38 pm (#41 of 120)

My personal opinion about the Mimbulus Mimbletonia is that it will grow along with Neville's courage. Maybe one day it will take over the Gryffindor common room as Neville stands up to Snape!

zelmia - Aug 7, 2004 10:40 pm (#42 of 120)

I would argue that Neville is more knowledgeable in Herbology than Hermione. Hermione is good at remembering facts (as in from books) but Neville LOVES it and actually takes an interest in the subject on his own. He is much more like Charlie Weasley and his dragons in that respect because he loves the plants themselves, what they can do, where they are indigenous, etc.

As for the MM plant, first of all, I sincerely doubt that Uncle Algie "went back in Time" to obtain it, even if Neville refers to what is now the Middle East (aka Iran, Iraq, et al) as "Assyria". This can easily be attributed to "Wizarding World" geographical names.

Secondly, I tend to believe that Neville's burgeoning confidence as a young Wizard has more to do with his increased intimacy with Harry and "the gang" and being taken more seriously as an individual person. Prior to OP he was really just a sort of tertiary character who occasionally falls down or is the object of Snape's ridicule, etc. But since Harry learned a bit about Neville's past, he has taken Neville much more under his wing, if only a bit subconsciously.

Solitaire - Aug 7, 2004 11:25 pm (#43 of 120)

Zelmia: I tend to believe that Neville's burgeoning confidence as a young Wizard has more to do with his increased intimacy with Harry and "the gang" and being taken more seriously as an individual person.

I agree wholeheartedly, Zelmia. More than once, Harry thinks to himself how very much Neville has improved in the DA. In OotP, Chapter 21, p. 454, he says "Neville had improved beyond all recognition."

In Chapter 52, p. 553, Harry thinks about how everyone has really been spurred to work harder since the escape from Azkaban of ten more DEs ... "but in nobody was this improvement more pronounced than in Neville" ... he "worked relentlessly on every new jinx and counter curse Harry taught them, his face screwed up in concentration, apparently indifferent to injuries or accidents, working harder than anyone else in the room. He was improving so fast it was quite unnerving and when Harry taught them the Shield Charm ... only Hermione mastered the charm faster than Neville."

I sometimes wonder if, in addition to the St. Mungo's incident, Harry might have remembered Barty Crouch's comment about Harry being too arrogant to ask Neville for help about his second task, when Neville could have helped him. I think Harry is beginning to see that there are many similarities between himself and Neville.

I think it's kind of funny when the six are getting ready to head for the MoM, Harry thinks that if he could have taken anyone else with him--besides Ron and Hermione--Neville, Ginny and Luna would certainly not have been his first choices. Yet Neville fought bravely and valiantly, and he stuck right by Harry. And he, like Harry, deserved the chance to stand in battle and face the person who'd tortured his parents. Neville has guts!!! I can't wait to see him with his new wand! Maybe he will have a core of MM put into it! Hee! It will shoot stinksap at anyone who crosses him!

Solitaire

Gemini Wolfie - Aug 14, 2004 2:31 am (#44 of 120)
Edited Aug 14, 2004 3:32 am

Interesting thread. The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not Uncle Algie is a bad guy. All those "squeezing magic out of him" and now this plant can prove to be extremely dangerous!

I do hope it's something else entirely and the Mimbulus might be the exact ingredient they need for some type of potion that will prove to be very important Very Happy

Solitaire - Aug 14, 2004 8:38 am (#45 of 120)

I'm wondering if there is something in that plant that could be put in as the core of Neville's wand.

Solitaire

Paulus Maximus - Aug 16, 2004 5:25 pm (#46 of 120)

Well, a custom-made wand, perhaps... if Mimbulus pulp or whatever was effective in your average wand, it'd be up there with dragon heartstrings, unicorn hair, and phoenix feathers...

Then again, Veela hair seems to work with at least one part-Veela...

But I'm fairly sure that Neville isn't part-Mimbulus...

weasley by nature - Aug 19, 2004 1:50 am (#47 of 120)

I don't think that the Mimbulus Mimbletonia can be put in Neville's wand-it's a plant, it would rot. However I am almost positive that Neville is part-Mimbulus :9 lol

So the importance of the plant could be: Neville's confidence, the plant is evil or it will cure some disease? Why introduce the plant repeatedly if it is only to show that Neville is getting more confident (I know it would make sense but it's not a very JKR kind of thing to do). I don't think that a plant can be evil, besides Neville improves when he has it. So I think that the plant will cure something (maybe someone gets hurt in book 6/7 and Neville saves them with the plant or maybe it will cure his parents) or perhaps it will use its "defense mechanism" against some DE. But I think that the Mimbulus Mimbletonia is a good plant and will have a purpose in the plot.

Annika - Aug 19, 2004 5:53 pm (#48 of 120)

I have read very compelling arguments that the Mimbulus is "good" and that the Mimbulus is "bad." I hope that the Mimbulus has amazing healing properties and that Neville is the one to discover them, but I also wonder if these properties could be put to a darker purpose if in the wrong hands. Or possibly, the plant has both healing properties as well as destructive ones, similar to the mandrake. (The mandrake can reanimate a person who has been petrified, but its scream is fatal.)

zelmia - Aug 19, 2004 11:02 pm (#49 of 120)

I always thought that since "it has an amazing defence mechanism" it must be somewhat valuable (as Annika points out, a la the Mandrake). That coupled with the reference to Hogwarts apparently not having a MM plant of its own, and Sprout's interest in obtaining one, seems to mean that it’s a rare species indeed. It must have something powerful to offer.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 20, 2004 3:07 am (#50 of 120)
Edited Aug 20, 2004 4:08 am

I think the plant is a great way to show Neville’s growing confidence in him.

"Does it - err - do anything?...Loads of stuff!' said Neville proudly."

I also think it shows Neville growing bold enough to experiment. I for one, would not be poking a plant that looked like "some diseased internal organ.

Also, "S - sorry,' he gasped. 'I haven't tried that before..."

Ever wonders what else Neville has discovered it does?
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Mimbulus Mimbletonia Empty Mimbulus Mimbletonia (posts #51 - #100)

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:39 am

mike miller - Aug 20, 2004 6:13 am (#51 of 120)

In light of JKR's hint about looking into why Voldemort did not die from the rebounded AK curse, it is possible that the MM was used in one of Voldemort's experiments to give him immortality?

The most likely uses for the MM seem to be:

1) Cure for Neville's parents

2) Potion of AK protection

I think the MM is a "good" plant. I can find only the "diseased organ" reference to indicate otherwise. It is possible that the MM's condition at first is due to the lack of proper care. Under Neville's watchful eye it has seemed to thrive by the end of the book. I'm starting to lean toward option #2 thinking that it was somehow used by Voldemort. It could create an opportunity for Neville and Prof. Snape to collaborate on re-creating the Potion of AK Protection for Harry to use in his final confrontation with Voldemort.

Padfoot - Aug 20, 2004 11:25 am (#52 of 120)

Ever wonder what else Neville has discovered it does? -TwinklingBlueEyes

That's a good point! What else has Neville discovered it can do? Can't believe I missed that before. It seems like a glaring clue now.

Mike, that is an interesting possibility that Voldemort used one of the plant's properties to make himself immortal.

LooneyLuna - Aug 20, 2004 3:22 pm (#53 of 120)

At the end of OotP, the plant made "odd crooning noises" when stroked. Could it have some kind of hypnotic quality? I think that this plant is dangerous, but that Neville can handle it. Not evil, but dangerous, like the Mandrake.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 20, 2004 5:12 pm (#54 of 120)
Edited Aug 20, 2004 6:13 pm

"hypnotic quality?" Not in my opinion. I think I know where you are coming from with this. Since I was a teen, I have been called the equivalent of a "horse whisperer", having spent my life with them> My family and friends think is more, a level I communicate with animals, wild and domestic. Anyway, I regress.

Some people are also able to communicate with plants, and Neville seems to be one of these. I think you are dead on when you say it is a dangerous plant, but Neville can handle it. He has the "gift", for lack of a better word.

LooneyLuna - Aug 20, 2004 5:26 pm (#55 of 120)

Hypnotic as in the "music/crooning" the plant makes. For some reason, that sinister music box from 12GP pops into my mind - I know, off to St. Mungo's with me!

TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 20, 2004 6:02 pm (#56 of 120)

Not without me!

"Hypnotic as in the "music/crooning" the plant makes"

Actually it brings to mind a good thing and something Dumbledore said in a connection if you will, ""Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!". Sometimes it happens between people and animals, sometimes between people and plants.

zelmia - Aug 20, 2004 11:14 pm (#57 of 120)

TBE, do you mean that you DI-gress in your previous post?

Neville has always shown an affinity for plants. In spite of Crouch Jr/Fake Moody's wicked intentions in GF, it was still a very wonderful gift he gave Neville in a) recognising his ability with plants in front of others and b) offering him the book.

A "plant whisperer" is not something I have ever heard of, but if there is such a being, Neville would seem to be it.

Some Guy - Aug 21, 2004 1:20 am (#58 of 120)
Edited Aug 21, 2004 2:25 am

That is one my favorite scenes twinkling =)

I still think Neville will cure his parents, or one of the main characters, with his Mimbulus. In HP, the deadlier the plant the better. Full grown mandrakes for instance: Death w/o ear muffs, but they can cure petrification. I really like the idea about "plant whisper".

TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 21, 2004 2:51 am (#59 of 120)

No, regress was the word I wanted. The reasoning involved when you assume the conclusion is true and reason backward to the evidence. To digress, lose clarity or turn aside especially from the main subject of attention or course of argument in writing, thinking, or speaking. Actually, I am either unfortunate or talented enough to be able to do both at the same time. :-)

LooneyLuna - Aug 21, 2004 10:18 am (#60 of 120)

Here, Twinkling, have some Droobles Best Blowing Gum. We can waltz around to the Mimbulus music in Ward 49 at St. Mungo's.

Smile

Her-melanie - Aug 24, 2004 1:53 pm (#61 of 120)

You know, this wouldn't be the first time in the stories someone was "sent a plant." Bode, the Dept of Mysteries employee, is sent Devil's Snare. Perhaps LV is rethinking what he knows of the prophecy and has remembered Neville as a possible threat to him. Maybe LV sent Neville the MM plant with yet unknown bad intentions. I liked the post asserting that JK was giving evidence that the plant is bad in the surrounding writing. MM is definitely going to be important.

MickeyCee3948 - Aug 27, 2004 4:32 am (#62 of 120)

Could the MM prove to be the cure for Lupin. In the chapter where the MM was introduced we see "Neville who appeared to have nothing more to say either, was gazing fondly at his moonlit cactus."

And of all the teachers at Hogwarts, Lupin is the only one I can remember never demeaning Neville. I would like to believe that Neville could be the one to return this favor for Lupin and find a cure for his being a werewolf.

Mikie

Gemini Wolfie - Aug 30, 2004 6:10 pm (#63 of 120)

Well imposter Moody was also nice to Neville.

I really prefer the theory that the MM would end up doing loads of good. Come to think of it, perhaps the fact that the MM has an amazing "defensive" mechanism rather than offensive is telling us that it's good? After all, it might mean it won't attack anybody.

Chris. - Aug 31, 2004 3:59 am (#64 of 120)
Edited Aug 31, 2004 4:59 am

Gemini Wolfie, I wouldn't say Crouch Jr, in Moody's form, was particularly nice to Neville. He preformed the Imperius curse, which, with no doubt, would make Neville feel very sad and uncomfortable.

schoff - Aug 31, 2004 1:58 pm (#65 of 120)

He did that to teach the class a lesson, not as a specific attack against Neville. It's not like he woke up and said to himself "Hmm, that Longbottom kid is going to be in class today, I wonder what I can do to upset him?" That's like saying he purposefully did it to tick Harry off too.

Whatever you say about Crouch, Jr., during his classes there seemed to be no ulterior motives. He was teaching, not plotting.

Maddest Dragon - Aug 31, 2004 2:05 pm (#66 of 120)

Except for giving Neville the book that described gillyweed, in hopes that Neville would share that information with Harry. Makes me wonder if his niceness to Neville was at all genuine, or if it was just because that was the most effective way to use Neville for his own ends.

Gemini Wolfie - Sep 1, 2004 12:21 am (#67 of 120)

Well I do think that everything that Imposter Moody did was part of his overall plan as well as due to his own genuine emotions (his anger at DEs that got away was real. You can understand him not being so kind to Karkaroff or Snape or Malfoy). But whether imposter Moody was genuine or not, it doesn't change the fact that he was another professor that to our knowledge never demeaned Neville Razz

The One - Sep 1, 2004 12:40 pm (#68 of 120)

Well I do think that everything that Imposter Moody did was part of his overall plan as well as due to his own genuine emotions (his anger at DEs that got away was real. You can understand him not being so kind to Karkaroff or Snape or Malfoy). But whether imposter Moody was genuine or not, it doesn't change the fact that he was another professor that to our knowledge never demeaned Neville Razz

That is true. Another question is: What would the real Moody have done? If the real Moody is the kind of person that would be kind to Neville, Barty could not demeaned Neville. If the real Moody would not have been nice to Neville neither could the fake one be.

How long would a fake Snape that was nice to Harry have lasted?

Maddest Dragon - Sep 1, 2004 12:59 pm (#69 of 120)
Edited Sep 1, 2004 2:00 pm

How long would a fake Snape that was nice to Harry have lasted?

Well, everyone would wonder if he was feeling all right and might urge him to take a medicinal potion. That could be his excuse for constantly taking Polyjuice.

And the real Moody is certainly someone who would be nice to Neville, or at least wouldn't be mean to him. As we can tell from getting to know the real Moody in Book 5.

Steve Newton - Sep 2, 2004 7:12 am (#70 of 120)

Schoff, Moody/Crouch was only 'nice' to Neville after he had shown him how he had tortured Neville's parents. His 'nice' gift of the book to Neville was part of his plot. M/C was always plotting and never nice, as far as I can tell.

schoff - Sep 2, 2004 9:37 am (#71 of 120)
Edited Sep 2, 2004 10:38 am

I've seen no evidence that convinces me Crouch, Jr was being anything other than kind, and that particular incident was only a moment of opportunity to give Neville the book. Crouch could have found another excuse to give the book to Neville during any other time (including encouraging Sprout to give it to him)--especially closer to the Second Task, which happened on February 24 (GF 20 US361). There's no guarantee that Neville would remember information from a book he read the same day he got--the first DADA class in September, 5 months earlier. That's a huge risk to take on a child known for his forgetfulness.

Crouch Jr did not necessarily Crucio the spider for the sole reason to befriend Neville and give him the book.

Steve Newton - Sep 2, 2004 9:47 am (#72 of 120)

I don't think that he Crucio'd the spider to befriend Neville. I think he did it to torture Neville.

schoff - Sep 2, 2004 10:48 pm (#73 of 120)

Schoff: Crouch Jr did not necessarily Crucio the spider for the sole reason to befriend Neville and give him the book.

Or to purposely torture him either.

Padfoot - Sep 9, 2004 9:09 am (#74 of 120)
Edited by Sep 9, 2004 10:09 am

I don't think Barty included mentally torturing Neville when he drew up his lesson plan for the class. That was just a bonus for him. He was only nice to Neville when it suited his purposes, giving him the book on aquatic plants.

I still think Neville will cure his parents, or one of the main characters, with his Mimbulus. In HP, the deadlier the plant the better. Full grown mandrakes for instance: Death w/o ear muffs, but they can cure petrification. I really like the idea about "plant whisper". -Some Guy

I agree. I think the Mimbulus Mimbletonia will have some amazing restorative properties that will be used to help the Longbottoms' recovery. I think Neville will discover them accidentally, although I have no doubt that he has already researched his plant.

Phoenix song - Oct 5, 2004 9:20 pm (#75 of 120)

I do wish that Neville had told us of all of the magical properties of the Mimbulus before "poking" it. There is so much evidence that leads me to believe that this cactus could be part of Neville's great strides in the past year. However, it bothers me that it came from his uncle. I don't trust him a bit, and have to worry that this cactus could also be untrustworthy.

I'm certain, though, that Neville has already researched it thoroughly. The plant seemed quite content on the train ride back home. I would like to think that it will help to cure his parents.

Barbie

haymoni - Oct 6, 2004 9:16 am (#76 of 120)

I still think that it is strange that "Mimbulus Mimbletonia" was used as a password for such a long time in OotP.

It seemed as though the other books had more passwords each year.

Phoenix song - Oct 6, 2004 9:52 am (#77 of 120)

Haymoni, I also think that it was highly significant that Mimbulus Mimbletonia was a password for so long. It's as if JKR didn't want us to overlook the cactus. There was also the passage at the end where the cactus made "odd crooning noises" when Neville stroked it. I think that she's trying to let us know that it's an important cactus. I can't wait for the next book to find out more!

Barbie

haymoni - Oct 6, 2004 10:28 am (#78 of 120)
Edited Oct 6, 2004 11:28 am

I checked the Lex - what a great place! - and searched for "passwords".

According to the list there, here is the number of passwords to the Gryffindor Common Room given in each book.

SS/PS - 2 passwords

COS - 1 password

POA - 4 passwords (understandable with Sirius on the loose)

GOF - 3 passwords

OotP - 1 password

It is very strange, with Harry being in Gryffindor and Dumbledore believing that Voldy is back, that the password to the Common Room wasn't changed more often.

Paulus Maximus - Oct 6, 2004 11:51 am (#79 of 120)
Edited Oct 6, 2004 12:53 pm

Not so strange when you think about the fact that the password is kind of complicated, and that it is far more dangerous to have somebody write them down and possibly lose the paper (coughNevillecough)...

That was what allowed Sirius to break in, and Voldemort is far more dangerous than Sirius.

haymoni - Oct 7, 2004 5:08 am (#80 of 120)

Yes, perhaps they learned from past experience, but it is still very odd that Mimbulus Mimbletonia was kept for so long. And that it was chosen as the password in the first place.

zelmia - Oct 8, 2004 6:04 pm (#81 of 120)

I just want to know one thing: Is it pronounced mim-BULL-tonia or mim-BLEH-tonia?

haymoni - Oct 8, 2004 9:23 pm (#82 of 120)

I say "mimble" like "thimble".

mike miller - Oct 9, 2004 11:14 am (#83 of 120)

Zelmia - I too follow Haymoni's pronunciation. I pronounce the first word Mimb-U-lus.

I think the strange little cactus will play out in one of 2 ways; a cure for Neville's parents or as a key ingredient in some kind of defensive potion. I tend to lean toward the second option. When we are first introduced to the Mimbulus Mimbletonia, Neville tells us "It's got an amazing defensive mechanism..." just before it sprays stink sap on everyone. Perhaps stink sap is a key ingredient in making a potion that will reflect AK curses.

Her-melanie - Oct 9, 2004 3:23 pm (#84 of 120)

I still think the Devil's Snare sent to Bode the Unspeakable in St. Mungo's could be a hint that the Mim Mim is something suspicious.

Phoenix song - Oct 9, 2004 3:35 pm (#85 of 120)
Edited Oct 9, 2004 4:35 pm

Her-melanie: Round Pink Spider has some really interesting clues gathered about the Mim Mim that seem to prove that your suspicions are worthy. (I mean, could any plant described as having a sinister look like a diseased internal organ and being a gift from Uncle Algie-the-terrible really not be suspicious? ) If you'll go to the "Long Theory about Harry's Family" thread and ask her to e-mail you the back copies of her newsletters, then I'm sure that you'll be really excited about all of the clues that you'll find there.

Barbie

Her-melanie - Oct 12, 2004 4:33 am (#86 of 120)
Edited Oct 12, 2004 5:33 am

Phoenix song, I have read the original first parts of that post and have decided not to read any more of it. It is a really well thought out theory, and I know this sounds weird, but I don't want to know any more about it. It sounds too close to an accurate theory, and as much as I love reading the lexicon and proposing suggestions myself, I don't want to get too close to the real thing. Is that crazy?? I like to speculate about the small hints, and I try not to formulate them into anything concrete. **laughing** I know that sounds absurd! Oh well... P.S. Thanks for the support and suggestions!

Phoenix song - Oct 12, 2004 8:41 am (#87 of 120)

Her-melanie: We all need to approach HP in our own ways, and your way is just fine. I understand what you are saying. There are times that I feel like I'm deciphering clues that lead the story into directions that I don't like...so I STOP! So, we're pretty much the same in that respect. I suppose that if we really were able to concretely figure out the ending of the books that it would take all of the enjoyment out of it.

But just going by JKR's original introduction to the mim should be enough of a clue that she's not too fond of that cactus.

"...after a bit of rummaging pulled out what appeared to be a small gray cactus in a pot, except that it was covered with what looked like boils rather than spines..." Later..."Harry stared at the thing. It was pulsating slightly, giving it the rather sinister look of some diseased internal organ." (OoP, Ch 10, pg 186)

Of course, it's an important cactus or it would never be the password for so long. I just have come to the conclusion that it's an important sinister cactus.

Barbie

Her-melanie - Oct 13, 2004 5:24 am (#88 of 120)

I totally agree with you Barbie. That Mim Mim is a little scary...I was rereading GoF, and when McGonagall tells Neville not to show the foreign students that he can't even perform a simple switching spell, it is because he accidentally transplanted his ears onto a CACTUS!!!! Foreshadowing???

Paulus Maximus - Oct 13, 2004 9:57 am (#89 of 120)

Hmm... Maybe Mim Mim will be used as a hearing aid...

Nah. It's a silly idea. It'd never work.

Hollywand - Oct 13, 2004 6:33 pm (#90 of 120)

What about the Mimbulus Mimbletonia being the key to Neville's development? Western music has seven tones---seven keys to Neville's development. "Ebullient" is to issue forth, and tones are musical intervals---so when Neville can draw the complete music forth from the Mimbulus Mimbletonia, he will have achieved his essence as a wizard.

Harry's dream that McGonagall plays the bagpipes---they do look and sound rather like a bizarre organ (play on body part and instrument) whilst Neville dances with professor Sprout.

I'd say the little chap is on his pathway to becoming an Auror, or healing his parents who are Aurors with the Mimbletonia. Go for the golden seven Neville! :-)

Steve Newton - Oct 14, 2004 5:45 am (#91 of 120)

Every description of the MM makes it seem very evil/dangerous. But, somehow, I can't see it turning out too bad. I wish that we had confirmation that Professor Sprout had actually checked it out.

mike miller - Oct 14, 2004 8:21 am (#92 of 120)

I think the descriptions are to throw us off the trail. Neville refers to its defensive capability and the fact that it was used as the password (and always printed in italics in my books) points toward its real nature.

Hollywand - I think your right, and many others as well, that the MM will parallel Neville's growth as a wizard. There are many references to how much both Ron and Harry are growing physically as a metaphor for their development as wizards. The behavior of the MM on the train ride home is much different from our introduction. I have little doubt that JKR is using this as a symbol of Neville's growth as a wizard.

Curing Neville's parents is the emotional outcome; however, I'm not sure how having Frank and Alice back would advance the storyline. However, having stink sap lead to the development of some kind of protective potion could provide the Order with a new way to fight the DE's and set Neville on a course to be the next Potions teacher at Hogwarts.

TomoÈ - Oct 14, 2004 10:09 am (#93 of 120)

Poor Harry will be so envious. Neville getting away from his formidable grandmother to move with his now back to normal parents while Harry is stuck with his horrible Dursleys with no way to escape before he do Voldemort in.

Mare - Nov 10, 2004 3:05 am (#94 of 120)

Hmm, I'm not so sure that Harry will be jealous, I think Alice and Frank could tell him lots about his own parents as well.

About the MM leading to a cure for their disease, no I don't think so, it doesn't seem to have a connection to Droobles best blowing gum ... I think however that Neville will use it to accomplish something grand, but I think it will involve doing a huge favour for Snape. Can you just see his face... :wicked grin:

TomoÈ - Nov 10, 2004 8:28 am (#95 of 120)

Maybe jealous isn't the right word, maybe "bitter to see once again how live is unfair" will fit more to my idea, no grudge against Neville, just the same feeling Harry had when Ron got the prefect badge and not him.

I'm sure, if the Longbottoms get better they'll be more then happy to entertain Harry with his parents stories.

mike miller - Nov 10, 2004 10:31 am (#96 of 120)

Those of us who think the MM will be a part of something helpful have put forward a few ideas on how it could help; a cure for the Longbottoms' condition and a protective potion against spells and curses to name two.

Can those who have a negative impression of the little plant give us some more specific ideas of how the MM could cause problems?

Annika - Nov 10, 2004 10:43 am (#97 of 120)

Read Round Pink Spiders post #39. She gives some interesting information on why the MM might be, as she calls it, a "baaaaad plant."

Annika

Annika - Nov 10, 2004 7:25 pm (#98 of 120)

I had a thought tonight while re-reading the "Fight and Flight" chapter of OotP. When we were first introduced to Neville, he seemed small, relatively insignificant and capable of little more than the occasional blunder. We later learn that he is a loyal and true friend, willing to stand up for himself and willing to put himself at risk for those he cares about. Similarly, the MM which was gifted to Neville, in the beginning, appears to be a squat little plant with little ability aside from creating a stinksap mess. Though I am not ready to make predictions on the uses for this plant, if there is indeed a correlation between it and its owner, it may be useful when it matters.

Annika

Her-melanie - Nov 11, 2004 6:33 am (#99 of 120)

I don't deny the Mim Mim might turn out to be useful. For me, most of the reason I think it is suspicious is the literary way JKR introduces it. Most of the descriptive words she uses are not warm and fuzzy: "gray", "covered with what looked like boils", "pulsating slightly", "sinister", "diseased internal organ", "stunted". Also, right before JKR introduces it, the narrator writes this: "It was an odd, unsettled sort of day; one moment the carriage was full of sunlight and the next they were passing beneath ominously gray clouds." That's when Neville says, "Guess what I got for my birthday?" The most significant other passage that sets up such a sinister scene is the moment the fake Mad Eye Moody enters the Great Hall at the beginning of GoF. We should have known he was bad just by that passage! Anyway, the fact that Bode gets throttled by Devil's Snare in St. Mungo's seems to me another clue setting up the possible negative aspects of the Mim Mim. It could have some sort of controlling qualities, making Neville do things he otherwise wouldn't. It could also be some sort of spying tool. The truth is we have no idea what qualities the Mim Mim has yet. In the Wizarding World as we have seen it so far, it could be any number of things. I don't feel comfortable knowing it spends the school year in the same dorm room with Harry.

Paulus Maximus - Nov 11, 2004 9:24 am (#100 of 120)

JKR does that with Snape as well, and Sirius, if I remember correctly.

And if it had affected Neville in some adverse way, we should have known about it by now. And how does a Devil's Snare have anything to do with a MM? They're both plants, but the parallel ends there.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Mimbulus Mimbletonia Empty Mimbulus Mimbletonia (posts #101 - #120)

Post  Potteraholic Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:40 am

Her-melanie - Nov 11, 2004 9:29 am (#101 of 120)

I don't agree Paulus. I feel like JKR put too much emphasis on it for it not to appear again. It was the Gryffindor password for almost the whole book, it appears at the beginning of Hogwarts year and at the end, and JKR has shown it evolve and grow. There is definitely something important about it, whether good or bad. I don't think we know enough about it to say which one yet.

Paulus Maximus - Nov 11, 2004 9:44 am (#102 of 120)

But it seems so "obviously bad".

So were Snape and Sirius, and they turned out to be good.

So, I very much doubt that MM is bad.

mike miller - Nov 11, 2004 9:46 am (#103 of 120)

Annika - I have read RPS's thoughts on the MM both on the Forum and in her newsletter (Great Newsletter RPS *waves*) this just happens to be one place were we disagree.

Her-melanie - I agree that the MM is important, being used as the Gryffindor password for an entire year speaks volumes in my book. However, the words used to describe the MM could be misdirection as easily as foreshadowing. I look to Neville's own words that the MM has a unique "Defensive" property about it to tell me how it might play out more than the initial description. I could easily be wrong on this, but I hope not.

Paulus - I agree, you have to be very careful with JKR. She is equally good at disguising her clues as she is at planting her red herrings. Neville does seems to be making great strides in OtoP, so I doubt the MM is having an adverse affect on him.

Catherine - Nov 12, 2004 3:07 pm (#104 of 120)

I've stated my thoughts before, on this and other threads. I will link to those posts so as to save space.

This post describes why I don't think that the Mimbulus Mimbletonia is evil: Catherine "The Longbottoms - what is the secret behind their illness?" 7/15/04 5:31am

This post describes the Mimbulus as a possible symbol: Catherine 4/23/04 12:41pm

This post continues that discussion: Catherine 4/23/04 2:47pm

LooneyLuna - Nov 14, 2004 6:03 am (#105 of 120)

Catherine - I like your idea very much. To expand on your analogy, the Mim Mim, Harry, Neville and Snape can be dangerous in their own ways. Excellent defense mechanisms indeed! Smile

I still think that the Mim Mim is a dangerous plant, along the lines of say, the Mandrake. I also think that Neville can handle it.

Cheers!

GryffEndora - Jan 16, 2005 6:41 pm (#106 of 120)

Catherine, I thought your point about the symbolism of the Mim Mim is excellent.

I have to say that I've wondered why Mim Mim was the password for the entire year? I wonder if prefects have a say in the choice of house passwords? They are always the first to know them. If so, it wouldn't surprise me if Hermione met Neville and his plant before the decision and she convinced the other prefects to keep this password all year to help Neville not get locked out any more.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned , I didn't read the entire thread.

Snuffles - Jan 17, 2005 2:42 pm (#107 of 120)

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but on looking on the internet I noticed a plant called Mimbulus. It says 'The Mimbulus flower remedy helps individuals get past fears and overcome shyness. It is useful in shifting a person's hesitation or overcaution into movement. The positive qualities are courage, self confidence and calming'. It also mentions its healing qualities for forgetfulness! I wonder if the Mimbulus is based on this plant but most frightening is the man who knows about this plant the most is called Macnair!

mike miller - Jan 17, 2005 5:05 pm (#108 of 120)

Snuffles - Very interesting bit of information! I think JKR gets her ideas from many diverse places and it's quite possible that you've found the inspiration for the MM. It would certainly fit for those of us who think the MM will have a positive influence.

Ydnam96 - Jan 17, 2005 5:56 pm (#109 of 120)

Yes, Snuffles it does seem to make sense. Weird about the McNair thing.

MickeyCee3948 - Jan 17, 2005 7:00 pm (#110 of 120)

Yeah, Remember the last time a DE gave someone a plant in the books.

Mikie

GryffEndora - Jan 17, 2005 8:03 pm (#111 of 120)

Great find Snuffles!!!

Choices - Apr 5, 2005 9:34 am (#112 of 120)

Indeed, very interesting Snuffles. Thanks so much for posting that.

Astragynia Winifred Posy Miranda Yseult Cawdor - Jun 26, 2005 10:49 pm (#113 of 120)
Edited Jun 26, 2005 11:50 pm

I, too, Googled Mimbulus - and to add to the "weird" Macnair thing, he's from the University of Exeter - where JK Rowling studied. As somebody already mentioned, the (North American) plant has made itself at home on the university's campus. If somebody really wants to figure out whether this can possibly be anything more than coincidences, they could research when this plant (and this professor) showed up there compared to JKR's time at university ('cause I'm not going to do it!).

Now for a new take on the plant: in the scene when Fred and George make their rather memorable departure from Hogwarts in OotP (pg. 593 in the Canadian paperback), JKR tells us "Students were standing all around the walls in a great ring (some of them, Harry noticed, covered in a substance that looked very like stinksap)..." Now, as the twins' last prank was the "Portable Swamp" in the hallway, it seems reasonable that whatever the students are covered in is from the swamp (there doesn't seem to be any other good reason for that detail to be included otherwise). So assuming Harry's right and it's actually stinksap, that means that Mimbulus Mimbletonia may be part of their swamp. (Perhaps Neville was successful in breeding it, and gave some plants to the twins?) Flitwick later leaves a piece of the swamp when he cleans up, so it's possible that there are now MM plants growing in a hallway of Hogwarts. MM may also now be included in a product of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, the Portable Swamp. I'm not sure what significance any of this could possible have, though, except that Mimbulus Mimbletonia may not be so rare any more.

Robert Dierken - Jul 5, 2005 11:08 am (#114 of 120)

I think that you have missed something else of significance:

Several of the pictures of Mimbulus species on Doctor Macnairs page were taken in Calaveras County, California. That particular county is famous for jumping frogs.

Ms Amanda - Jul 5, 2005 2:23 pm (#115 of 120)

Oh my goodness. That is such a weird coincidence!

It's funny, but somehow before I started reading the forum, I always thought of Mimbulus Mimbletonia as a reference to mumbling or to keeping quiet. I felt that Neville needed someone to talk to, and the plant was the entity that would keep quiet about it.

The research done here blows away my convoluted suppositions!

Blast - Jul 5, 2005 3:29 pm (#116 of 120)

Isn't the plant from Assyria in the Middle East? If so the cactus like description would mean that it comes from an arid region.

haymoni - Jul 7, 2005 2:42 am (#117 of 120)

Amanda - I thought of Vernon's "mimble whimble" when I first heard the name of the plant.

RoseMorninStar - Sep 12, 2005 12:04 am (#118 of 120)
Edited Sep 12, 2005 1:07 am

I realize someone mentioned this before, but I thought this description was interesting and fit in so well with Neville:

Mimbulus is used as a type remedy for people who tend to be nervous, timid and shy generally. Sometimes people of this type may blush easily or stammer, and they will usually avoid social occasions and any event where they will be in the limelight. Mimbulus is the remedy to encourage the quiet courage and strength that lies hidden in such people, so that they can face the everyday trials of life with steadfastness.

And also:

Fear of worldly things, illness, pain, accidents, poverty, of dark, of being alone, of misfortune. The fears of everyday life. These people quietly and secretly bear their dread, they do not freely speak of it to others.

While I was perusing the internet on this subject I found another interesting thought connected with Mimbulus/stinksap. One person was wondering what possible connections there were to this plant that might be of importance in book 7. One thing they came up with-and it is a 'weak' but interesting connection-is that Luna, Neville, Harry, and Ginny had been hit with the stinksap. Ron & Hermione had not come in contact with it. In the department of Mysteries in the room with the arch/curtain Luna, Harry, Neville and Ginny are affected by it/hear whispering, Ron and Hermione do not.

Steve Newton - Sep 12, 2005 6:14 am (#119 of 120)

Great connection. I have looked for something that those groups of people have in common and this is good.

Choices - Sep 12, 2005 9:07 am (#120 of 120)

From your description of the Mimbulus - sounds like dear Neville could use some of that to overcome his shyness, timidity.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Mimbulus Mimbletonia Empty Re: Mimbulus Mimbletonia

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum