HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JKR's interview on "60 Minutes"

Go down

JKR's interview on "60 Minutes" Empty JKR's interview on "60 Minutes"

Post  John Bumbledore Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:57 pm

JKR's interview on "60 Minutes"

This topic was opened to archive the above titled thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum (HPLF) as it was created and hosted on World Crossing (WX) until WX ceased operation on 15 April 2011. ~ John

(Note well:
  • Embedded images and links were not saved in this text based process.
  • Written URLs were made active links, and
  • Character based emoticons were recognized and replaced with graphic emoticons automatically by the ForuMotion software.
)

Ann - Oct 28, 2006 12:20 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 18, 2007 10:56 pm

There was a segment on J. K. Rowling called "Creating Harry Potter shown on Wednesday, October 25th, 2006. Snips from it can be found on:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Most of the contents will be nothing new to Forum members, but on two of the last segments, "Magic Rubbish" and "Plotting Potter" she holds up what she clearly says is her grid plan for Book 7. She describes it as a chapter-by-chapter plan, giving the months, the chapter titles, and the events connected to one strand of the plot that have to be worked into that chapter.

She tells the interviewer several times that they shouldn't photograph the plan too closely, because it contains information. At one point she covers the lower left side of the notebook with her hand, covering the last five or six chapter titles; and another time she gasps and grabs the heading of the right-hand plot-strand heading. The interviewer says several times that the grid can't be read at this distance, but of course it can, if you're willing to take the time.

I feel a little ambivalent about putting this up, since it's stuff she clearly doesn't want us to know. But I'm fairly sure of what the right hand column is, and I think I can read titles for about six of the chapters. There are 27 chapters, but since the last one takes place in June, it seems likely that the final book will have 28, since the last chapter is what happens to the survivors in later life.

What do you think? Should we discuss this?

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

JKR's interview on "60 Minutes" Empty Re: JKR's interview on "60 Minutes"

Post  John Bumbledore Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:11 pm

journeymom - Oct 28, 2006 12:32 pm (#1 of 29)

Okay, I admit it's been 20 years since I regularly watched 60 Minutes (when I was a teen living at home). But I thought it airs on Sundays. Does it air on Wednesdays now? Has this segment already aired?

I'd just as soon not know what the chapter names are or plot information. If she wants to share, that will be neat. Could you use "invisible writing" or whatever they call it here, Ann?

Kip Carter - Oct 28, 2006 12:45 pm (#2 of 29)

Ann, I see no reason to not discuss anything that Jo released to the public about Book Seven or her own life. She is a very smart lady who fully understands the media. If she felt that there was information that she did not want the public to know, she would not have provided the notebook for viewing. Go ahead and start this discussion. I am interested in how our members will react to the interview.

Ann - Oct 28, 2006 1:31 pm (#3 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Well, the date on the web site is October 25th--I didn't actually see the show either.

And Kip, my problem is that she so clearly didn't want anyone to see it, and that she tried to cover it up. But by stopping the feed periodically, you can read it. I'd be really interested in seeing what other people see. And it doesn't really reveal too much, I don't think. So I'll put up some of what I see. I'll put them in white, as journeymom suggests, so you have to highlight them to read them.

The wide column on the right, she says, contains notations about one strand of the plot. There are notations for chapters 2 through 22; the remaining lines are empty.

The heading on the right side, I believe, says:
VOLDEMORT'S PLAN/
THE BROTHERHOOD

I couldn't, with any certainty, read the notations in this column, except that the first word in chapters 7 - 13 seems to be the same as the initial name in the column header.

The first seven chapters are grouped. These are the titles that I found easiest to read. The chart begins with the month, then the chapter number, then the title. I saw:

(June) 1 The Invitation/Bookseller/Departure
(June) 2 The/Two Weddings
(July) 3 The Portkey
(July) 4 The [Quick] World Cup
(Aug) 5 The X Charm
(Sept) 6 The [Om]itted [Mitten]
(Sept) 7 The D[unnaught] T[unnel]

Words separated by slashes are alternates. (Obviously, I'm not at all sure of the first chapter title.) The bits in square brackets are highly questionable (particularly so in chapter 7), but I've put them in to give you an idea of the shape of the word. The bracketed word in #4 looks a lot shorter than Quidditch.

The next three groups of chapters are harder to read, so I won't try and give them. 8 through 13 run from September through November; 14 though 21 run from November through May (or possibly still March); and 22 through 27 are all in June.

Can anyone see more? And what do you think this all means?

T Vrana - Oct 28, 2006 1:55 pm (#4 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 2:57 pm

These don't really look like Jo titles, do they? The X Charm? We've already had "The Portkey" in GOF...

Hmmmmm...

Its not April 1st....

EDIT- Maybe the X is just there until she figures out what she wants to call the charm...?

Madame Pomfrey - Oct 28, 2006 2:06 pm (#5 of 29)

Maybe X is the word Jo had to make up. Ooh,I am very interested in "The Two Weddings" and "The Brotherhood."

Ann - Oct 28, 2006 3:22 pm (#6 of 29)

She actually said, in one of her recent interviews (maybe the one in New York?) where someone asked her about how she comes up with names, she said she had recently used "X" when she couldn't think of a name for a charm.

I finally managed to make (bad) files of the images--screen capture wouldn't work, so I was reduced to freezing and enlarging the frame and taking digital photos. In #1, my first guess is pretty clearly right, and it makes the most sense anyway. I think the word I thought was Quidditch or Quick in #4 may actually be "Last" (a rather ominous title); and I wonder if the D-word in #7 is actually "Doomspell." It looks a little like it, although I think that was the original name of the Triwizard Tournament. There are other echoes of Book 4: Chapter 12 seems to be The [Someth]ing of the Wands. One other chapter that now seems pretty clear is #25, which seems to be The Hogwarts Knight.

Madam Pince - Oct 28, 2006 3:25 pm (#7 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 4:33 pm

Ooooo, brotherhoods and knights! Sounds very "King Arthur-ish", doesn't it? I remember we had a thread once upon a time that discussed the similarities / tie-ins between the Harry Potter stories and Arthurian legend.

I wouldn't be surprised if she re-used the word "Doomspell" -- she thought of it originally for the Tri-Wizard Tournament, but it is a really good word and I bet she hated to let it go to waste... If the second word really does start with T, it could still be the Doomspell Tournament -- some new competition or something.

And yes, I'm thinking X must be the word she had to make up.

Thanks for doing this, Ann! I love it! I can't believe I missed the interview! Usually they advertise out the ying-yang for high profile interviews, which I would certainly think JKR would qualify! Hmph! ***off to check JKR's website/Mugglenet/Leaky to see if there's anything on there about her doing 60 Minutes*** I remember that she did an interview a looooong time ago, not sure if it was 60 Minutes or what, but she teasingly showed the interviewer her notebook and said something like "I can't let you see this because it's all in there -- I feel funny like maybe the camera can see through the notebook!" but I don't think we could really see anything then.

Eponine - Oct 28, 2006 3:40 pm (#8 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 4:50 pm

According to TLC, this interview originally aired in October 2002. I thought she said that it was the layout for the book she was working on at the time, which would make it...OotP?

ETA: Although, looking at the chapter titles, it seems more likely that it was the plan for GoF.

Ann - Oct 28, 2006 3:49 pm (#9 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 4:51 pm

MEA CULPA!

No, it makes it Goblet of Fire. And it is Goblet of Fire, darn it! A very early version. I finally pulled out my book and found that the chapter titles I've been trying so laboriously to read included "The Fire Goblet," "The Yule Ball," etc. And I spent hours on this! Not to mention the needless guilt and trying to work out how to write in white!

So we know that the Death Eaters were at one point "The Brotherhood" and a few other tidbits. (Sort of like learning that Dolores Umbridge was originally called Elvira!)

I think I'll contact a moderator and ask to shut this thread down. I can only apologize for having deluded others as I myself was deluded. Though I blame 60 minutes for not making it clearer--they do say "classic profile" but that's hardly the same.

Although actually, I'm glad it isn't really book 7, since the chapter titles aren't what I'd expected at all. (Of course, I hope the real ones aren't either!)

Chemyst - Oct 28, 2006 4:10 pm (#10 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 5:13 pm

I think I'll contact a moderator and ask to shut this thread down. - Ann

Oh, please no! I saw the clips being promoted from a Yahoo link this morning and I think there are still a few things about the way she works that we could discuss even though they aren't "scoops" about the ending. Why not let the thread run its course for a couple weeks?

Ann - Oct 28, 2006 4:24 pm (#11 of 29)

As you like! I haven't figured out how to contact a moderator anyway.

T Vrana - Oct 28, 2006 4:58 pm (#12 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 6:02 pm

What! You mean there won't be a Chapter entitled the Omitted Mitten!?!

wynnleaf - Oct 28, 2006 5:57 pm (#13 of 29)
Edited Oct 28, 2006 6:57 pm

I'm really glad the profile wasn't new and those aren't any hints at Book 7 chapter titles.

I don't mind when JKR gives us hints. If she wants to reveal some chapter titles to us, it will be fun (like Spinners End before HBP came out). But I don't want to know chapter titles, sequence, etc., unless JKR is fine with it. She won't tell us too much.

But on the other hand, I just can't resist reading more info if it happens to come out. So I'm soooo glad, Ann, that this was a mistake!!

Thom Matheson - Oct 28, 2006 6:32 pm (#14 of 29)

Ann, You had me all a dither. Then when you said you shouldn't do it, I thought, are you nuts?, give us more. I admit that I am weak and read all spoilers.

You need to be commended for your outstanding efforts. An Order of Merit, First Class, and Special Services to the Forum, as well as a gift card to Hogsmead. Well done!

Ann - Oct 28, 2006 8:01 pm (#15 of 29)

Thanks, Thom, although I should have checked more thoroughly before wasting as much time on the images as I did. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed all the inside information about the chapter titles you'll find in Goblet of Fire!

Madam Pince - Oct 29, 2006 9:17 am (#16 of 29)
Edited Oct 29, 2006 10:18 am

Ahhhhh... OK, so that makes sense now! Oh well, Ann, don't worry about it -- it was an excellent detective effort on your part! I'm amazed that you were able to see what you could -- I remember the interview from a couple years ago that I was talking about earlier, and I couldn't see a thing in that brief glance at the outline she gave us, so woo-hoo to you and your eyesight! Thanks anyway!

Time? Wasted? What is this of which you speak?

Ann - Oct 29, 2006 6:14 pm (#17 of 29)
Edited Oct 29, 2006 7:14 pm

**Snort**

Lina - Oct 30, 2006 3:31 am (#18 of 29)

Did she say on that interview that she doesn't believe magic, or just Divination?

painting sheila - Oct 31, 2006 8:57 pm (#19 of 29)

SHOOT! I was so excited! I just had time to read the first three or four posts befire I had to run out and trick or treat with kids! I looked forward to figuring it all out when I returned. (sigh)

Alas. Earwax!

I think I will just pretend and be excoted anyway.

She

PS Thank you so much Ann for all of your hard work!!

Solitaire - Nov 4, 2006 5:57 am (#20 of 29)

It made me laugh to think that Forumers were worried about revealing something Jo had shown on TV but may not want us to know. She has obviously visited the Lexicon and the Forum, because the site has received an award! This means she knows the level of obsession her Forum fans have, and she knows the lengths to which we will go to try and work out little puzzle pieces.

As Kip pointed out, Jo is media savvy. She is very well aware that if she shows anything on TV--no matter how small--there are people out in cyberspace with the equipment to make it legible ... and they will share it! Believe me ... things related to HP are such closely guarded secrets that if she does not want something known to the general public, she will not be bringing it along with her to "flash" on a TV screen. If she does ... it is intentional! JM2K, of course ... but if Jo does anything similar in the near future, by all means, share it!

Solitaire

Ann - Nov 4, 2006 10:38 am (#21 of 29)

Solitaire, I was just worried because she kept trying to cover it and keep the camera away, and the interviewer kept telling her not to worry, that no one could see anything. It seemed to me that I could, and sure enough, I retrieved the early chapter titles and plan for Goblet of Fire, what she was writing from when the tournament was called "Doomspell" rather than "Triwizard" and the Death Eaters were known as "The Brotherhood". I hadn't realized until the chapter titles began to remind me pointedly of GoF that the interview was an old one. It must have been done in 1999--no wonder she looks so tired!

It was certainly interesting to see (checking the list against the actual book) how the plot evolved, and what got expanded. (The initial scene in Little Hangleton, for example, seems to have been an addition.) She had divided GoF into four section, the first being the preliminary stuff (Quidditch, announcement of the Tournement). The second is the arrival of the schools and the selection of the champions; the third is the tasks; and the fourth is Voldemort's Resurrection the aftermath. I was especially interested in the aftermath, where there's a chapter called "The Hogwarts Knight." Wonder who that is, Hmmm? And why she changed it.

For the record, the titles I could read were:

Part I: 1. The Invitation; 2. The Weasleys; 3. The Portkey; 4. The Quidditch World Cup; 5. The X (or V?) Charm; 6. [It looked like the Omitted Mitten, which I liked, but it clearly wasn't]; 7. The Doomspell Tourn[ament].

Part II: 8. Doyle? [Should be Mad-Eye]; 9. Beauxbatons & Durmstrang; 10. The Fire Goblet; 11. The Champions; 12. The Weighing of the Wands; 13. [Illegible]

Part III: 14. The Task; 15. [Blank]; 16. The Yule Ball; 17. [Blank]; 18. The Dream; 19. The Pensieve (although it doesn't quite look like that); 20. [Blank]; 21. [Illegible--looks like Something Tower]

Part IV: 22. The [Illegible; note in right column: Harry & Cedric take Portkey]; 23. Resurrection; 24. [Illegible]; 25. The Hogwarts Knight; 26. [Illegible]; and 27. The Beginning.

So can we make something of that? Does this tell us what was essential and what was just an added frill, not vital to the plot?

rambkowalczyk - Nov 7, 2006 5:19 am (#22 of 29)

I wonder if the omitted mitten was a reference/foreshadow to Wormtails silver hand.

wynnleaf - Nov 7, 2006 8:54 am (#23 of 29)

Ann,

The Hogwarts Knight is interesting. Perhaps it referred to Harry. A knight in a tournament might be called the "champion" of those he represents. Or perhaps it is Cedric.

Nan B - Nov 9, 2006 11:46 am (#24 of 29)

Ann, I'm really glad you posted all this information.

I like to study Jo's chapter plans because they give me insight into how she plans the books, and how she works as an author. I have put together a table that compares the GoF chapter plan with the actual chapter list for GoF as published. I used your list for chapter plan, because I have not been able to view the clips, they won't run on my computer.

I think I have figured out some new points:

- I'm pretty sure that Chapter 6. The Omitted Mitten is really 10. Mayhem at the Ministry
- Is it possible that 21. [Illegible--looks like Something Tower] corresponds to 26. The Second Task? This would mean that some of the chapters were rearranged. Could someone who can view the clips check and let me know?
- I think that the Hogwarts Knight might be Sir Cadogan. If so, then this might be a chapter that was cut from the final book?

Please let me know what you think.

Nan

P.S. Considering that I know practically zilch about HTML, I am very proud of this table ... I hope it's OK to post it.

Chapter Plan 
 (60 Minutes, Oct.25 2002) 
 Goblet of Fire 
 (as published 2000) 
 Comments 
  1. The Riddle House  
  2. The Scar  
 1. The Invitation  3. The Invitation  
 2. The Weasleys  4. Back to the Burrow  
  5. Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes  
 3. The Portkey  6. The Portkey  
  7. Bagman and Crouch  
 4. The Quidditch World Cup  8. The Quidditch World Cup  
 5. The X (or V?) Charm;  9. The Dark Mark  
 6. [It looked like the Omitted Mitten, which I liked, but it clearly wasn't]  10. Mayhem at the Ministry   
  11. Aboard the Hogwarts Express  
 7. The Doomspell Tourn[ament]  12. The Triwizard Tournament  
 8. Doyle? [Should be Mad-Eye]  13. Mad-Eye Moody  
  14. The Unforgivable Curses  
 9. Beauxbatons & Durmstrang  15. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang  
 10. The Fire Goblet  16. The Goblet of Fire  
 11. The Champions  17. The Four Champions  
 12. The Weighing of the Wands  18. The Weighing of the Wands.  
 13. [Illegible]  19. The Hungarian Horntail  
 14. The Task  20. The First Task  
 15. [Blank]  21. The House-Elf Liberation Front  
  22. The Unexpected Task   Finding a date for the Yule Ball 
 16. The Yule Ball  23. The Yule Ball  
 17. [Blank]  24. Rita Skeeter's Scoop  
  25. The Egg and the Eye  
  26. The Second Task  
  27. Padfoot Returns  
  28. The Madness of Mr. Crouch  
 18. The Dream  29. The Dream  
 19. The Pensieve (although it doesn't quite look like that)  30. The Pensieve  
 20. [Blank]   
 21. [Illegible--looks like Something Tower]    Could this be 26. The Second Task? 
 22. The [Illegible; note in right column: Harry & Cedric take Portkey]  31. The Third Task  
 23. Resurrection  32. Flesh, Blood, and Bone  
 24. [Illegible]  33. The Death Eaters  
  34. Priori Incantatem  
  35. Veritaserum  
 25. The Hogwarts Knight    Sir Cadogan? 
 26. [Illegible]  36. The Parting of the Ways  
 27. The Beginning.  37. The Beginning  
Archivist note: The text copy of this HTML table confused the columns and rows. I found that Google had saved a cache (an html snap shot) of the page. From that I reconstructed the HTML table as Nan created it and then I added the missing cells to complete the grid.

TheSaint - Apr 20, 2007 11:15 am (#25 of 29)

I was watching some of these clips and pulled up the section on Jo's drawings. I found the 'Mirror of Erised' picture interesting and did a screen print of it to look at it further.

First thing I noticed is that Lily looks like a child in it. James is huge next to her. I also noticed that she seems to purposely have only two fingers and a thumb on her right hand (kind of like a claw...yes, I thought, Ravenclaw!)

Behind James there is an older man who is holding his shoulder and behind him appears to be a very small woman. I wonder why the woman are so small? Is she a dwarf? An Elf? Something else?

In the center, at the back, is what looks like a child or a small man, who looks like Harry, but is wearing Half-Moon glasses. He appears to have his right arm in the air and waving a hanky. Behind him, a dark arm appears sticking straight up. I do not think it belongs to him.

So, four men, two women...all named Potter?

Here is the link again... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Anyone have any ideas?

haymoni - Apr 20, 2007 12:06 pm (#26 of 29)

Jo isn't a very tall person - maybe she made the women like herself.

So Sirius - Apr 20, 2007 3:51 pm (#27 of 29)

TheSaint, I saw the picture you're talking about and wanted to make some observations, also.

I see what you describe as a claw, from Lily, but I see it as the sign for I love you. In sign language that looks very similar. It is odd looking though. But, even more odd is that person behind James with the dark hair and glasses who has what appears to be a dark hand sticking up from their head. What is that? And what is that next to that person, an umbrella or large mushroom?

TheSaint - Apr 21, 2007 6:19 am (#28 of 29)

The strange thing I took as a hand waving a handkerchief. I thought it either belonged to the boy with the full moon glasses or someone even shorter?

Madame Pomfrey - Apr 21, 2007 6:38 pm (#29 of 29)

I thought it was someone waving a handkerchief, also. I don't have a blown up pic. Can anyone provide a link? It doesn't look like that hand belongs to anyone. Maybe its someone real short standing in back.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down