HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sirius Black's Motorcycle

Go down

Sirius Black's Motorcycle Empty Sirius Black's Motorcycle

Post  Potteraholic Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:35 am

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing, which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. It was copied/saved by Lady Arabella and reformatted/reposted by Potteraholic. ~Potteraholic

Erin D. - Dec 4, 2004 4:53 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Jun 12, 2008 1:28 pm

If Sirius Black was HP's godfather, then why wasn't Harry given to Sirius when his parents died? I mean, wouldn't there be laws, even in the wizarding world, that would protect dead people's wishes about who gets to raise their kid?

And if Sirius wasn't considered for custody of Harry because everybody *knew* he was a bad guy, then why on earth did Hagrid trust a motorcycle that had been bewitched by him to carry little HP to his relatives' house?
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Sirius Black's Motorcycle Empty Sirius Black's Motorcycle (posts #1 to #40)

Post  Potteraholic Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:37 am

Paulus Maximus - Dec 4, 2004 4:33 pm (#1 of 122)

Hagrid didn't know at the time that Sirius was a traitor, and so had no cause to suppose that the motorbike had been bewitched.

As for Sirius taking custody of Harry... Remember, Sirius did try to take Harry, but Dumbledore's orders overrode Sirius' wishes.

Choices - Dec 4, 2004 5:25 pm (#2 of 122)

And Sirius would have had trouble raising Harry in Azkaban.

Paulus Maximus - Dec 5, 2004 11:35 am (#3 of 122)

Something kind of bothered me in the first book. In The Philosopher's Stone, Hagrid says something to the effect of "I ought to take this bike away", while in the Sorcerer's Stone he says something more like "I'll be taking Sirius his bike back."

Anyway, I wonder if we'll see it again... It seems like Harry should have inherited it after Sirius' death...

And hey, if a 12-year-old wizard can drive a car, a 16-year-old wizard can drive a motorbike...

Steve Newton - Dec 5, 2004 1:12 pm (#4 of 122)

A motorbike would be quite handy for Harry. He would have a means of rapid transportation in the Muggle world and the WW. Pretty handy.

Is motorbike the right word? Where I'm from (Delaware) a motorbike is much smaller, and much less macho, than a motorcycle. I always pictured Sirius as a Harley kind of guy.

Star Crossed - Dec 5, 2004 2:03 pm (#5 of 122)

We know Hagrid didn't know right away about Sirius, but after he found out, why did he keep Sirius' motorbike? (JKR drew a picture of Hagrid's Hut and Sirius' motorbike was next to it.) Also, where is his bike now, even if Hagrid still has it? It's not like he can just hide it in his hut.

Choices - Dec 5, 2004 5:57 pm (#6 of 122)

Whatever kind of motorcycle it was, it was huge according to the book.

Paulus Maximus - Dec 6, 2004 9:06 am (#7 of 122)

"Is motorbike the right word?"

It's the word that JKR uses in the Philosopher's Stone...

"MOTORBIKES DON'T FLY!" et al.

Steve Newton - Dec 6, 2004 9:23 am (#8 of 122)

Paulus, Thanks for the clarification.

Is motorbike in British interchangeable with motorcycle in American?

azi - Dec 6, 2004 11:34 am (#9 of 122)

I would class it as the same thing, Steve. I always pictured that Sirius' bike was a Harley too, just because they're my favourite kind of bike. I haven't seen many bikes bigger than Harleys either. Then again, I'm not an expert on motorbikes.

Paulus Maximus - Dec 6, 2004 1:00 pm (#10 of 122)

The Sirius in the movie would look good on a Harley, I think...

Star Crossed - Dec 6, 2004 6:26 pm (#11 of 122)

A Harley would swallow movie Sirius up for dinner.

T Brightwater - Dec 7, 2004 6:10 am (#12 of 122)

Remember, this bike was big enough for Hagrid to ride. It's either a magical brand or one that's been bewitched (like the Ford Anglia) to be as big as it needs to be.

Tessa's Dad - Dec 7, 2004 8:52 am (#13 of 122)

So, if Colin were to ride it, it would be a moped?

Now you folks have me visualizing Harry, and the girl he ends up with, out riding around in leather robes and do rags.

Crimson1 - Dec 7, 2004 10:49 am (#14 of 122)

In the American version of Book 1, Sirius's bike is referred to as a motorcycle,

"...- and a huge motorcycle fell out of the air and landed on the road in front of them. If the motorcycle was huge,..."

I think you can assume the words 'motorbike' and 'motorcycle' are interchangeable in this case. My guess is JKR is talking about a Harley-Davidson. The Triumph is a make of British motorcycles and the one they used in the movie, but they are not what you would describe as huge. Typically, they run in the 750cc to 865cc range (that is the size of the engine), although I have seen a recent one at 2294cc, which is huge and bigger than standard Harley engines, which run about 1200cc to 1600cc. However, the 2294cc Triumph, 'Rocket III' is relatively new and wasn't in production when Hagrid was riding it.

Regardless of the engine size, Harley's, except for the Rocket III, are physically larger than the Triumph. So, I'm sticking with Harley. Perhaps Sirius imported it or bought it used from someone who did.

That said, if you are a wizard, maybe you can throw an engorgement charm on your motorcycle and make it as big as you like.

TomoÈ - Dec 7, 2004 8:19 pm (#15 of 122)

And as much chrome and leather as the wizard wants. ^_~

Tessa's Dad - Dec 7, 2004 9:07 pm (#16 of 122)
Edited by Dec 7, 2004 9:09 pm

BORN TO BE WILD From the 1968 release "Steppenwolf" Words and music by Mars Bonfire

Like a true nature's child

We were born, born to be wild

We can climb so high

I never wanna die

That sounds like a good description of Hagrid.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Dec 8, 2004 5:50 am (#17 of 122)

Thanks Dad, I'll be riding my motorcycle today singing that song. Can you picture this? Granny scooting down the highway with the throttle cranked back singing "Born to be Wild"?

Actually, I don't think the make of motorcycle is important, I do see it as a way to describe Sirius's character, sort of devil-may-care attitude, long before we meet Sirius. Like the Ford, I can see it being magically "enhanced" to be whatever it needed to be. At 5'4", I have no problem riding and handling our FLH, but most times prefer riding my 750 Yamaha, or the Sportster. Quite frankly I think Hagrid would even dwarf a "Hog" without an engorgement charm or something similar.

Tessa's Dad - Dec 8, 2004 9:43 am (#18 of 122)

New Rule! Thou shall not eat any foodstuff nor drink any beverage while visiting the Lexicon.

TBE, I pictured you and Hagrid in front of a long line of Witches and Wizards out for a little weekend run. It was the thought of Flitwick on a Sportster that made me spray my keyboard. His little wizard's hat flapping in the breeze. I’m going a plastic keyboard cover for my keyboard.

T Brightwater - Dec 8, 2004 9:59 am (#19 of 122)

"I pictured you and Hagrid in front of a long line of Witches and Wizards out for a little weekend run."

Aberforth with his goat in a sidecar, McGonagall in black leather (she seems like the Honda type to me) and Sprout in biker broad regalia hanging on behind Snape...

Paulus Maximus - Dec 8, 2004 10:07 am (#20 of 122)

How many people can you fit on a motorbike?

Sure, you might expand the inner volume of a car so that it fits more than it appears to on the outside, but there is no "inside" of a motorbike.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Dec 8, 2004 10:47 am (#21 of 122)

My eyes are really twinkling now! Sorry about the keyboard Dad. ROFL!

TB, that image was fabulous! Can we picture Madam Hooch now?

"How many people can you fit on a motorbike?" Isn't that rather like asking how many people can you fit in a phone booth? But it is an interesting question.

Now, what was the original topic? Oh yes, what happened to Sirius's motorcycle? Maybe it's parked beside Hagrid's hut with an invisibility spell on it. Maybe it's still on the rock. Maybe it's transformed into another object. Maybe it doesn't matter?

Edit: On second thought it does matter, Hagrid needs it for those weekend runs! ;-)

Paulus Maximus - Dec 8, 2004 12:43 pm (#22 of 122)

A phone booth, like a car, can be expanded because it has an interior. The only "interior" of a motorbike is where the gasoline goes...

And why would the bike be on the rock? Hagrid said he flew, but if he had flown on the bike, Harry must have heard some motorbike-like noises...

...which I do not think he did...

TwinklingBlueEyes - Dec 8, 2004 1:04 pm (#23 of 122)

Methinks a motorcycle could be expanded even without an "interior". Think stretch. Most motorcycles are designed for an operator and a passenger. Add a sidecar and you have room for three.

The reference to it being on the rock was just as hypothetical as any of the other answers I poised. My point, in my opinion, was it does not matter what happened to the bike.

JKR has not told us what happened to it for reasons only she knows. Maybe it has served its purpose in the story, maybe it will show up again. Only JKR knows at this point.

Personally, I think it is in one of those pockets in Hagrid's coat! ;-)

Elanor - Dec 8, 2004 1:27 pm (#24 of 122)

Or it is whispering sweet nothings in a certain Ford Anglia's ear, deep inside the forbidden forest... Another unexpected ship, I guess...

But I agree with all you said, TBE!

Tessa's Dad - Dec 8, 2004 2:08 pm (#25 of 122)

Thank you Elanor! Finally, a 'ship I can believe in! Personally, I think Minerva has the bike.

TomoÈ - Dec 8, 2004 2:12 pm (#26 of 122)

Rita: Whatever happened to Sirius' flying motorbike?

JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out, but the real sleuths among you might be able to guess.

Which mean, Sirius's bike will be important and we'll find out. ^_^

Paulus Maximus - Dec 8, 2004 3:37 pm (#27 of 122)

Bike-Car 'ship...

It does have a certain ring to it...

Now, who will have the nerve to post it on the "'ship to 'ship" thread?

Ann - Dec 8, 2004 8:00 pm (#28 of 122)

Paulus: "Now, who will have the nerve to post it on the "'ship to 'ship" thread?"

Naw--they'd zap it. Aren't both cars and motorcycles referred to as female? That's not allowed on the 'ships thread!

I agree Minerva's got to have it. Do you think she wears a helmet? Or is she too cool for that? Leather's for sure!

Nathan Zimmermann - Dec 30, 2004 4:35 pm (#29 of 122)

Does Gringotts have large enough vaults to keep an item such as a motorcycle?

Choices - Dec 30, 2004 7:23 pm (#30 of 122)

Surely they do - if not, perhaps an engorgement charm would do the trick.

Sirius Lee - Dec 31, 2004 6:44 am (#31 of 122)

Although it's not canon, if the movie is any indication to the size of the vaults, then yes they do. I would be more curious how it would get it in and out of there. The carts don't seem large enough or steady enough to hold a motorcycle. Perhaps they just fly it in?

Solitaire - Dec 31, 2004 12:37 pm (#32 of 122)

Tessa's Dad, it's a good thing I was not still drinking coffee when I read your post about Colin and the moped and Harry with the leather robes! I'd have sprayed my screen AND the painting behind it! I'm still crying from laughing!

Paulus: Hagrid said he flew, but if he had flown on the bike, Harry must have heard some motorbike-like noises... ...which I do not think he did...

I respectfully disagree, Paulus. In chapter 2 of PS/SS, Harry thinks about the dream he was having about the flying motorbike when Aunt Petunia woke him up. He rolled onto his back and tried to remember the dream he had been having. It had been a good one. There had been a flying motorcycle in it. He had a funny feeling he'd had the same dream before.

Later in the chapter--as a motorbike zooms past them on their way to the zoo and Uncle Vernon starts to complain about motorbikes--Harry tells Uncle Vernon about his dream: "I had a dream about a motorcycle," said Harry, remembering suddenly. "It was flying."

Uncle Vernon nearly crashed into the car in front. He turned right around in his seat and yelled at Harry, his face like a gigantic beet with a mustache: "MOTORCYCLES DON'T FLY!"

I suggest that this "dream" was Harry's buried memory of Hagrid bringing him to the Dursleys' house that night when he was a baby. Just my interpretation, of course ...

Solitaire

Edit: I figure the bike is either in Sirius's vault at Gringotts (yes, they seem big enough to me, too) or hidden away by Hagrid somewhere at Hogwarts.

Choices - Dec 31, 2004 5:53 pm (#33 of 122)

Solitaire - "I suggest that this "dream" was Harry's buried memory of Hagrid bringing him to the Dursleys' house that night when he was a baby. Just my interpretation, of course ..."

That has always been my thinking too.

Solitaire - Dec 31, 2004 6:27 pm (#34 of 122)

Choices, this last remark of Uncle Vernon's--"MOTORCYCLES DON'T FLY!"--is why I so want Harry to inherit that bike and fly around Privet Drive! I know ... he can't do it. But I sure do want Uncle Vernon to see him flying on that motorbike, just like in his dream! It just has to happen, don't you agree? hehe

Solitaire

Choices - Jan 1, 2005 11:30 am (#35 of 122)

That sight would certainly make Uncle Vernon eat his words.....unless he's still too full from eating, "There's no such thing as magic." LOL

haymoni - Jan 1, 2005 12:26 pm (#36 of 122)

I don't think Harry would have heard the motorbike as Hagrid came to get him at the Hut on the Rock.

There was quite a storm going and Harry was hearing all kinds of noises:

"Five minutes to go. Harry heard something creak outside....Three minutes to go. Was that the sea slapping hard on the rock like that? And (two minutes to go) what was that funny crunching noise? Was the rock crumbling into the sea?"

I still think that motorcycle is out on that island.

Choices - Jan 1, 2005 2:06 pm (#37 of 122)

"I still think that motorcycle is out on that island"....Haymoni

If it is, I hope he put an "anti-rust" charm on it. Salt water would eat up the metal.

Solitaire - Jan 1, 2005 7:12 pm (#38 of 122)

I was looking at the "extras" on one of the DVDs today--Sorcerer's Stone, I believe--and in a drawing, the motorbike is parked beside Hagrid's hut. A clue, perhaps?

Also, I must apologize to Paulus. I thought you were talking about the night Hagrid brought Harry to the Dursleys ... not the night Hagrid went to get Harry out on the rock. Please forgive me.

I just looked at the end of PS/SS Chapter 3, and Harry did hear odd noises--low rolls of thunder and crunching, slapping sounds. He does not describe them as motorbike noises, but who would even think about a motorbike out there? That huge motorbike could have sounded like thunder, I suppose. The problem with it would be that Hagrid would have to vanish it or transfigure it into something that could fit into his coat. Can he do that?

Another transportation suggestion: Could Hagrid have flown on Buckbeak? He would have been able to return to Hogwarts on his own, which makes sense. Just because we do not learn about Bucky until PoA doesn't mean Hagrid doesn't have him ... does it? We don't learn about Aragog until CoS, and he has obviously been around for a while. JM2K, of course ...

Solitaire

Amilia Smith - Jan 1, 2005 8:37 pm (#39 of 122)

Or there's always the thestrals . . .

Mills.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jan 1, 2005 9:02 pm (#40 of 122)

Or a winged horse like Madame Maxine's...

Her 12 may not be the only ones in existence. And would be Hagrid sized. :-)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Sirius Black's Motorcycle Empty Sirius Black's Motorcycle (posts #41 to #80)

Post  Potteraholic Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:38 am

Paulus Maximus - Jan 19, 2005 10:50 am (#41 of 122)

From personal experience, a motorbike sounds a bit different than thunder.

Unless there are inaudibility and invisibility charms on it, I'm inclined to think that Hagrid used some other means to get to the island.

Thestrals sound like a strong possibility, since they're pretty quiet, and since Harry couldn't see them anyway.

Joanne R. Reid - Jan 19, 2005 12:15 pm (#42 of 122)

Paulus, LOL!

Can you imagine Hagrid sitting on a Thestral! :-D Now imagine a Muggle seeing this half-giant floating by. :-D!!!

Thanks

Sirius Lee - Jan 19, 2005 2:29 pm (#43 of 122)

Thestrals sound like a strong possibility, since they're pretty quiet, and since Harry couldn't see them anyway.

But Hagrid didn't really know Harry wouldn't be able to see them. As readers, we had to be told specifically that Harry was in his crib and didn't SEE his parents die because we assumed he did. Hagrid would have no reason to know that. Doesn't he say something along the likes of "expecting as much" when Harry can see them in class. It would be quite a scare for an 11-year old who JUST found out he's a wizard to suddenly see this strange creature.

Prefect Marcus - Jan 20, 2005 3:18 am (#44 of 122)
Edited by Jan 20, 2005 3:19 am

Joanne,

Hagrid arrived at midnight, so the chances of a Muggle seeing him on a thestral are practically nil.

But you are right. It would be funny if it happened.

Joanne R. Reid - Jan 20, 2005 7:57 am (#45 of 122)

Hello Sirius Lee,

Hagrid introduces thestrals to Harry and the others in their fifth year. Harry has seen death. Harry saw Wormtail kill Cedric. That's why Harry does see the thestrals pulling the wagons from the station and why Hagrid isn't surprised that Harry can see the thestrals.

Thanks

Sirius Lee - Jan 20, 2005 9:45 am (#46 of 122)

Obviously he can see them because of Cedric, but many readers thought that he should have seen them earlier (JRK has explained this way now). Hagrid didn't say "Well 'course you can see 'em Harry, since you saw ol' Cedric bite it last year". Hagrid expects him to see them cause he (Harry) has experiences so much death in his life.

I'm not here to argue why Harry could see them 5th year, I'm just saying Hagrid had no way of knowing whether or not Harry would be able to see them when he was 11. If he'd seen his parents die, he would see the thestrals at the hut. Since Hagrid didn't know for sure, it would be too risky to come on a strange creature and scaring the kid so I don't think it's an option.

Joanne R. Reid - Jan 20, 2005 10:14 am (#47 of 122)

Sirius,

No offense intended. I had meant to be brief, not terse.

Sorry

Thanks

Paulus Maximus - Jan 20, 2005 10:30 am (#48 of 122)

"If he'd seen his parents die, he would see the thestrals at the hut."

I beg to differ. Harry didn't see Cedric die, yet he could see thestrals as a result of Cedric's death.

It's probably more like the "sinking in" thing. Cedric's death had sunk in, but his parents' deaths had not.

Choices - Jan 20, 2005 11:13 am (#49 of 122)

Hagrid could have flown on a thestral to the island - he arrived at night so it would not have been seen. Then Hagrid spent the night in the hut and he and Harry left in the morning. The thestral had plenty of time to fly back to Hogwarts while it was dark.

Joanne R. Reid - Jan 20, 2005 12:09 pm (#50 of 122)

Paulus, I refer to GOF, page 638.

'From far away, above his head, he heard a high, cold voice say "Kill the spare."

A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words into the night: "Avada Kedavra!"

A blast of green light blazed through Harry's eyelids, and he heard something heavy fall to the ground beside him: the pain in his scar reached such a pitch that he retched, and then it diminished; terrified of what he was about to see, he opened his stinging eyes.

Cedric was lying spread-eagled on the ground beside him. He was dead.

For a second that contained an eternity, Harry stared into Cedric's face, at his open gray eyes, blank and expressionless as windows of a deserted house, at his half-open mouth, which looked slightly surprised....'

Witnesses to a murder might don't see the bullet enter into the victim's body, nor do they see the internal damage that ultimately leads to a person's death. Yet, they will testify that they saw the victim murdered.

In the same way, Harry was there. He heard the curse. He saw the green light of Avada Kedavra. He saw Cedric's body and looked into his dead eyes. I think that qualifies as Harry having seen Cedric die.

Thanks,

Sirius Lee - Jan 20, 2005 12:58 pm (#51 of 122)

I agree Joanne, Harry definitely saw Cedric die. He stood next to him while he was alive, heard him fall, then carried his body back. If that's not seeing someone murdered, then I don't know what is. As Joanna said, you don't watch a bullet cutting through, but you sure see the effects of it.

Paulus Maximus - Jan 20, 2005 2:16 pm (#52 of 122)

Hagrid saw Lily's and James' bodies when he went to pick up Harry, right? And he could have figured out, based on their locations compared to Harry's, that Harry COULDN'T see the bodies, and thus, couldn't see thestrals.

Harry heard the discourse between James, Lily and Voldemort prior to the curse, so he might have heard the curse itself too. And he definitely saw the green light... The only difference is, he didn't see the bodies.

Anyway, this is getting completely irrelevant to the bike, for which I apologize.

Hagrid did say that he would be taking the bike back to Sirius (in SS, at least), but that was before Sirius was caught and sent to Azkaban.

If Hagrid failed to get the bike back to Sirius before he was caught, I can see Hagrid "taking care" of it... and possibly flying it to the island if it had inaudibility and invisibility charms on it.

If Hagrid DID get the bike back to Sirius before he was caught... what happened to it?

Is it possible that Arthur has it?

Joanne R. Reid - Jan 21, 2005 10:25 am (#53 of 122)

LOL, Paulus.

Imagine what Arthur would do with a motorcycle that was already magical? Picture the entire Weasley family sitting comfortably in bitch-seats swapping mugs of pumpkin juice and Arthur in his black helmet and white scarf whipping in the wind flying off to a Chudley Cannons game.

Oops! The invisibility booster fails! Hundreds of Muggles gawk in amazement. One photographs the astounding sight. The photograph is shown on TV.

Thousands of MoM employees spread out over Great Britain. Millions of minds are wiped clean.

And, did the Chudley Cannons win? Who knows? Arthur got lost and wouldn't ask for directions. They ended up staying the night with the Dursleys!

Toooo much! :-D

Thanks,

Paulus Maximus - Jan 21, 2005 10:38 am (#54 of 122)

Well, Arthur's job is at the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office... and if Sirius' bike isn't a misused Muggle artifact, I don't know what is...

It is quite possible that Arthur got his hands on the bike...

Solitaire - Jan 22, 2005 10:14 pm (#55 of 122)

If Arthur got his hands on the motorbike, he may have added a 7-man sidecar to it! LOL

MickeyCee3948 - Jan 28, 2005 3:02 pm (#56 of 122)

If Arthur had the cycle he would have given it back to Sirius in OotP. I think that the cycle was given back to Sirius before his confrontation with Wormtail. It is probably waiting for Harry at Spinner's End (Sirius'and Remus' hole in the wall).

Mikie

Paulus Maximus - Feb 1, 2005 9:21 pm (#57 of 122)

I was wondering... At what age can one obtain a motorcycle operator's license in Britain?

In the US, you have to be 16 to get a car driver's license...

Snuffles - Feb 2, 2005 8:26 pm (#58 of 122)

You have to be 17 to obtain a car/bike license in the UK.

Paulus Maximus - Feb 3, 2005 11:11 am (#59 of 122)

Darn... Harry won't be able to ride that bike until the 7th book...

Unless he learns the Disillusionment charm over break and can avoid the police...

sere35 - Feb 3, 2005 4:38 pm (#60 of 122)

We don't know if wizards need a Muggle license. Harry could have driven it at age 13 we really don't know.

Paulus Maximus - Feb 4, 2005 1:09 pm (#61 of 122)

He would need a Muggle license if he were to pass off as a Muggle. Otherwise, the police would arrest him.

Now, if Harry learned to avoid the police...

Ron got away with driving a car when he was 12, because he avoided most of the Muggles (and those he didn't avoid weren't in a position to catch him...)

Solitaire - Feb 6, 2005 8:15 pm (#62 of 122)

But wasn't Ron's car in the air ... flying? It would be kind of difficult for a Muggle policeman to apprehend him, unless he happened to be on Sirius's flying motorbike--in which case he would probably be hysterical anyway.

Technically, Ron didn't get away with it totally. Didn't he and Harry have to do detentions? I know he suffered that horrible howler from Molly, and I think several Muggles had to have their memories modified because they saw the flying Anglia. I guess compared to what would have happened to us Muggles, though, that probably seems pretty mild.

Solitaire

Sticky Glue - Feb 24, 2005 5:27 pm (#63 of 122)

If you can make it fly and invisible, how many teenagers would worry about a license?

dizzy lizzy - Feb 24, 2005 5:51 pm (#64 of 122)

Not many Sticky Glue...

And given that Harry is noted to have a certain disregard for the rules and that he might feel a little hemmed in by this recent turn of events (in OoP) he might just fly the bike. That is, when he gets his hands on it.

What if Draco's detour is literally a detour on an invisible bike with his "worst enemy"?? Perhaps I should post this question on the chapter titles thread as well??

Lizzy

Choices - Feb 24, 2005 6:25 pm (#65 of 122)

Sorry, but I just can't see Harry being interested in a motorbike, other than it belonged to Sirius. He has a Firebolt for gosh sakes, what could possibly fly better than that?

Albus Silente - Feb 24, 2005 6:38 pm (#66 of 122)

Choices, I’ve got a quite comfortable car and a very uncomfortable motorbike. Although i love riding my bike because it's a completely different feeling. i think in some way... it's quite similar.

but, other than the flying bike, wouldn't he also get Buckbeak? 3 flying "objects" from Sirius, which -at least one of them- i am sure will turn out to save Harry’s life.

Choices - Feb 24, 2005 6:46 pm (#67 of 122)

Well, I can certainly see how different riding a motorbike would be from driving a car - but for that "wind in the face feeling" I still think Harry would prefer his Firebolt. After all, Sirius did give it to him.

haymoni - Feb 27, 2005 6:37 pm (#68 of 122)

I'm wondering if Dudley gets some sort of fancy BMW or something in HBP. The scene would play out like Harry's tricycle memory that Snape saw, with Pet & Vernon waiting for Harry to ask for his car.

"Who wants THAT when I can ride THIS!" and Harry pulls out the Firebolt. Vernon keels over as Pet shrieks.

I wonder if Buckbeak saving Harry and Hermione in the POA movie was one of the things that caught JKR's eye.

I still think the bike is at the Hut on the Rock. Yes - possibly all rusted out, but I'd like to think that Sirius put some sort of protective charm on it.

ruthlesspenguin - Feb 27, 2005 8:52 pm (#69 of 122)

Do we know how the Dursleys got off the rock after Hagrid stole their boat? Perhaps a Dursley rescuer Apparated out there and flew them back on the bike...

<(')

Solitaire - Mar 20, 2005 12:04 pm (#70 of 122)

If Hagrid left the motorbike on the rock, I suspect he would have gone back to get it after he put Harry on the train back to the Dursleys (PS/SS, end of Ch. 5): Harry wanted to watch Hagrid until he was out of sight; he rose in his seat and pressed his nose against the window, but he blinked and Hagrid had gone.

It sounds as though Hagrid is able to Apparate, although, if that's the case, why would he bother riding the motorbike to the rock in the first place? Do we know for certain that he did? Is it possible that the bike is somewhere at Hogwarts, hidden around Hagrid's hut?

Solitaire

Sticky Glue - Mar 20, 2005 5:35 pm (#71 of 122)

maybe the motorbike is running around the forest with the Weasley’s car

Cat 7 of 9 - Mar 21, 2005 12:06 pm (#72 of 122)

I think Hagrid took the bike back to Sirius and it is now at his house, (not the Black family home), the MOM are/were probably watching so closely he wouldn't have been able to get it. I mean he must have had his own place because he left Grimmauld Place years ago, still its strange that no-one has mentioned it or the bike.

What do you think, is it a good idea or what?

Having said that I bet someone has already posted the same thing ... I rarely have an original thought.

Solitaire - Mar 21, 2005 4:33 pm (#73 of 122)

Cat, some have suggested that the bike is in Sirius's vault in Gringotts. As to Sirius having another house, we do not know that he did. If his parents were still alive and at 12GP, he might have stayed at Order headquarters--wherever that was--when he was younger. I can't really see him living at GP.

We know that he was with James a lot during his youth, but unless the young Potters had a very large home or estate, I can't really see him living with them--although I know that in some old, aristocratic families in the past, the practice of having a single friend spending a lot of time with a married couple was common enough (just read Jane Austen). I'll agree it is unlikely in modern times, though.

I think how and where Sirius lived probably depends on what kind of money he had back then. We don't really know much about his personal life and the kind of work he did during those 3-4 years between leaving Hogwarts and being imprisoned in Azkaban. We know he worked for the Order, but did he have a career of any kind? Surely his parents would not have been especially generous, given his radically different sentiments. Hopefully, some of these questions will be answered in HBP.

Solitaire

Daisy Pennifold - Mar 22, 2005 10:01 am (#74 of 122)

"You ran away from home?" "When I was about sixteen," said Sirius. "I'd had enough." "Where did you go?" asked Harry, staring at him. "Your dad's place," said Sirius. "Your grandparents were really good about it; they sort of adopted me as a second son. Yeah, I camped out at your dad's during the school holidays, and then when I was seventeen I got a place of my own, my Uncle Alphard had left me a decent bit of gold - he's been wiped off here too, that's probably why - anyway, after that I looked after myself." OP, US 111

I imagine a "decent bit of gold" to someone raised the way Sirius was is probably quite a lot. He probably didn't have to work if he didn't want to. As for the motorcycle, Hagrid probably chucked it in a shed somewhere and forgot about it, after all of Sirius' trouble.

Solitaire - Mar 22, 2005 11:12 am (#75 of 122)

Ah ... how could I have forgotten! Thanks.

MickeyCee3948 - Apr 12, 2005 7:54 pm (#76 of 122)

Sticky Glue maybe there's a whole fleet of little 3 wheelers running around the forbidden forest.

Mikie

Sticky Glue - Apr 12, 2005 11:54 pm (#77 of 122)

MickeyCee what an interesting thought, LOL.

Patchwork Girl - Apr 13, 2005 5:17 pm (#78 of 122)

So, someone mentioned the bike and Hagrid's hut. I've always thought the bike was around the hut somewhere, but never really tried to pin down why until I read the question re: the bike and the answer JKR gave. Now I can't think why I always assumed it was there. Anyone else have a similar 'feeling' or assumption about the bike being at Hagrid's? Do we know of any large structure near the hut?

Choices - Apr 13, 2005 5:44 pm (#79 of 122)
Edited Apr 13, 2005 6:46 pm

Since Harry arrived at the Dursleys' on the motorcycle, maybe that is how he will leave at the end of book 7.....on the motorcycle. I just hope he's alive to enjoy riding it.....wherever it is.

Mrs Brisbee - Apr 14, 2005 6:00 am (#80 of 122)

Maybe the motorcycle is kept in the carriage house at Hogwarts. There must be a carriage house somewhere, for all the moldering carriages pulled by the thestrals to and from the train station.

Somehow, I'm having a hard time picturing Harry riding around on a big flying Hog (slang for a Harley, which is what I picture Sirius's bike as, since it was both big enough for Hagrid, and loud).
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Sirius Black's Motorcycle Empty Sirius Black's Motorcycle (posts #81 to #121)

Post  Potteraholic Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:41 am

Solitaire - Apr 16, 2005 12:57 pm (#81 of 122)

There is a drawing of the bike beside Hagrid's hut somewhere on Jo's site. That is how I got the idea it was there.

Solitaire

Aqualu Nifey - Apr 16, 2005 2:27 pm (#82 of 122)
Edited Apr 16, 2005 3:27 pm

Solitaire, where's the picture? Everyone's talking about it and I can't find it anywhere.

Solitaire - Apr 16, 2005 4:50 pm (#83 of 122)

Aqualu, I am not sure how to get to it again. I got hold of it by going through some of the things on Jo's site when I was taking a break late one night at school. It was one of my little "prizes" for figuring out something. I'll see if I can get to it again and will post it here if I can find it again. Possibly someone else already has it in a scrapbook and can post the link. Help!

Solitaire

MickeyCee3948 - Apr 16, 2005 9:02 pm (#84 of 122)

Solitaire I couldn't find it and I checked the entire site. May have missed it but I don’t think so.

Mikie

lilysmom - May 27, 2005 8:39 am (#85 of 122)
Edited May 27, 2005 9:39 am

It is actually not on Jo's site. The picture of the motorbike next to Hagrid's hut is in the DVD extras to the first movie.

haymoni - May 28, 2005 6:29 pm (#86 of 122)

Where on the DVD, lilysmom?

CatherineHermiona - Aug 8, 2005 2:56 am (#87 of 122)

If Sirius left everything to Harry, that count and his motorbike and then Harry should see that motorbike in seventh book.

Kate

Dr Filibuster - Aug 8, 2005 1:06 pm (#88 of 122)

Perfect. He's allowed to ride one at 17, and it will horrify the Dursleys as much as magic.

Hermy82 - Aug 9, 2005 5:35 am (#89 of 122)

Maybe he will use the bike as transportation as he goes on his journey to find the horcruxes.

RoseMorninStar - Aug 18, 2005 9:36 pm (#90 of 122)

Perhaps, when Sirius was captured and sent to Azkaban his motorbike was confiscated by the Ministry of Magic... and where would it go? To the Misuse of Muggle artifacts office. Hmmm... Mr. Weasley's department I presume? I don't think he would have purposely kept it for Harry all of these years knowing Sirius was Harry's Godfather (which I don't think he knew) because when the fact that Sirius has escaped from Azkaban becomes known, Mr. Weasley is very concerned about it. He would only have the motorcycle as an interesting (enchanted) Muggle artifact.

However, that said, I think there is just as much of a possibility that Hagrid has it tucked away somewhere....

CatherineHermiona - Aug 21, 2005 3:54 am (#91 of 122)

Maybe Mr. Weasley found motorcycle interesting and took it home. Maybe he has some kind of garage for that kind of Muggle artifacts (he has/had a car too).

Kate

Paulus Maximus - Aug 21, 2005 5:03 pm (#92 of 122)

Perhaps, when Sirius was captured and sent to Azkaban his motorbike was confiscated by the Ministry of Magic...

And his Gringotts account wasn't?

I somehow doubt that the Ministry could confiscate anything that belonged to Sirius, if they couldn't even confiscate the money in his account...

Dame Peverell - Aug 21, 2005 5:25 pm (#93 of 122)

I see Hagrid bringing Harry the motorbike on his seventeenth birthday.

Snuffles - Aug 22, 2005 3:44 am (#94 of 122)

I agree Dame Peverell. I have always had the feeling it is lurking somewhere in the Forbidden Forest. What a brilliant present that would be for Harry.

RoseMorninStar - Aug 22, 2005 8:19 pm (#95 of 122)

Paulus Maximus, you are so perceptive and probably correct. I have recently finished re-reading PoA and I did read that Sirius was still using his Gringotts account. I also read that Sirius had told Hagrid that he would not be needing the motorbike anymore 'where he was going'. So, that leads me to believe, as some others have come to the conclusion on this thread, that Hagrid still has the motorbike and it is somewhere in the Forbidden Forest.

Kat - Mar 23, 2006 4:00 pm (#96 of 122)

I think you are on the right track, RoseMorninStar, that Mr. Weasley ended up with the Motorbike.

In fact, I suspect that maybe Mr. Weasley is the one who charmed the Motorbike in the first place, and that it is somehow connected to his flying car. Could it somehow BE the flying car?

TheSaint - Mar 24, 2006 5:11 am (#97 of 122)

Hasn't Jo has confirmed that Hagrid has it?

haymoni - Mar 24, 2006 5:52 am (#98 of 122)

I know there is a quote about the motorcycle.

JKR said Hagrid had it but she left some question as to where he PUT it.

bigearl - Mar 24, 2006 1:15 pm (#99 of 122)

Hagrid said he was taking the Motorbike back to Sirius.

Where were Sirius & Hagrid when the motorbike was lent to Hagrid in the 1st place? I say this because Hagrid may have returned it to the place he last saw Sirius, I'm thinking Harry may find it in Godric's Hollow.

Kat - Mar 24, 2006 4:15 pm (#100 of 122)

Hagrid WOULD have it, because wasn't it last seen in the Forbidden Forest, saving Harry and Ron from Aragog's crew?

Steve Newton - Mar 24, 2006 6:08 pm (#101 of 122)

That was the Ford Anglia.

haymoni - Mar 24, 2006 7:18 pm (#102 of 122)

I wonder if the motorcycle was a normal-sized one and Hagrid enlarged it so he could ride it more comfortably?

I still say it is rusting away at the Hut on the Rock.

But I suppose it could be at Godric's Hollow, too.

Finn BV - Mar 24, 2006 7:25 pm (#103 of 122)

**quote finders to the rescue**

From World Book Day Chat, 2004.

Rita: Whatever happened to Sirius' flying motorbike?

JK Rowling replies -> Ah, good question. You'll find out, but the real sleuths among you might be able to guess.

It's not definitive where it is, or who has it. Unless you're a "real sleuth."

bigearl - Mar 27, 2006 2:23 pm (#104 of 122)

Assuming that it’s not located at a completely new setting that leaves; Hogwarts Grounds, Godric’s Hollow, #12 G.P., The Ministry of Magic, The Burrow, The Shack by the Sea, The House Sirius lived in after his inheritance (before he went to Azkaban), James's Parents' House and how about the Hogs Head, as possible locations.

Any others ?

What if Mundungus Fletcher took it and pawned it when Sirius was sent to Azkaban.

Soul Search - Mar 27, 2006 5:48 pm (#105 of 122)

Does "... real sleuths among you might be able to guess" mean we can determine where it is just from canon?

The specific references to Sirius' motorcycle are:

When Hagrid delivers Harry in SS.

The discussion about Sirius in the Three Broomsticks in PoA. Hagrid says Sirius offered him the motorcycle, saying he wouldn't be needing it.

In OotP when Harry and Arthur are at the Ministry of Magic for Harry's hearing and Arthur is asked about flying vehicles because Sirius might be using his motorcycle. (This probably rules out that the MoM has it.)

Sirius did say he wouldn't be needing the motorcycle, suggesting Hagrid needn't return it. Hagrid would have had a hard time finding Sirius, anyway. He went to find Wormtail, then to Azkaban.

Hagrid wouldn't have just left it somewhere; initially, he would have held on to it until he could have returned it to Sirius. Later, after learning Sirius betrayed the Potters and was in Azkaban, he would have just abandoned it where he put it after returning from delivering Harry. He must have covered it, since Harry has been all around Hagrid's hut and didn't notice it.

Using JKR's statement to conclude we have all the information needed to figure out where it is, then this "real sleuth" deduces Hagrid must have it, probably under a canvas behind his Hogwarts hut.

Finn BV - Mar 27, 2006 6:02 pm (#106 of 122)

Soul Search, I agree from the evidence you have shown it would look like Hagrid is the current possessor of the motorcycle. Then again, I would guess a "real sleuth" would go beyond what is said in canon to draw their own conclusions.

Nathan Zimmermann - Mar 27, 2006 6:10 pm (#107 of 122)

Also during the time Hagrid spent on the island after collecting Harry. Harry asked Hagrid how he arrived on the island and Hagrid says that he flew.

Now there are two possible ways to interpret that statement. First, that Hagrid used a Thestral to get to the island or second, that Hagrid used Sirius Black's Motorcycle.

TheSaint - Mar 28, 2006 5:02 am (#108 of 122)

Also... I know it is not canon...but the extra disk in movie one, the drawings of the sets.. Hagrid's hut shows the motorcycle outside. LOL

Steve Newton - Mar 28, 2006 6:15 am (#109 of 122)

Nathan, I have never seen any real hint that the motorcycle was on the island. We never see it, nor do we hear it. I don't know all motorcycles but the ones I do know are pretty obvious by their sound.

haymoni - Mar 28, 2006 6:28 am (#110 of 122)

There was a pretty big storm going on - I agree that the motorcycle makes some noise, but it is possible that you couldn't really distinguish it from the other noise going on.

Hagrid does say that he flew to the island. Motorcycle or Thestral?

Harry says something about a slapping noise on the rocks - could that be the flapping of leathery wings of the thestral? There is a crunching noise - Hagrid walking or is he pushing the bike?

If Hagrid got the bike from Sirius in Godric's Hollow when he rescued Harry, he may have tried to return it to Sirius in Godric's Hollow. Maybe Harry will find it.

I just think it odd that Hagrid wouldn't have shown Harry the bike if he had it at his hut or somewhere at Hogwarts. "This is the motorcycle I used to fetch you, 'Arry!"

Steve Newton - Mar 28, 2006 6:30 am (#111 of 122)

Harry does hear gravel crunching. If he can hear this he would certainly have been able to hear a motorcycle.

haymoni - Mar 28, 2006 6:48 am (#112 of 122)

I figured that might be after the bike had landed. Perhaps Hagrid was pushing it up to the hut.

Let's face it - the bike could be anywhere, knowing Hagrid!

But I'm holding out for the hut or Godric's Hollow.

Steve Newton - Mar 28, 2006 6:52 am (#113 of 122)

I figure that it has to be somewhere near Hagrid's hut. Probably in the forest. My second guess would be that somehow Arthur got a hold of it and has done many strange things to it. Yes, this is an unsupported belief.

haymoni - Mar 28, 2006 7:41 am (#114 of 122)

As we both know, Steve - anything is possible!

rambkowalczyk - May 4, 2006 5:45 am (#115 of 122)

If Hagrid used Sirius Bike to deliver Harry’s letter then why didn't he take the bike back with Harry. I like the idea that the bike is roaming the Forbidden Forest with Mr. Weasley's car.

haymoni - May 4, 2006 6:16 am (#116 of 122)

Would there be room for Harry on the bike????

rambkowalczyk - May 6, 2006 9:53 am (#117 of 122)

Why not? Think of all the things that was stuffed into the car taking the Weasleys and Harry to Kings Cross station. Surely Sirius' bike could handle Hagrid and someone else.

Choices - May 6, 2006 9:56 am (#118 of 122)

Engorgio!....Ahhh, plenty of room for Harry. LOL

Pamzter - May 12, 2006 6:53 pm (#119 of 122)

I think the motorcycle IS the car. Arthur got hold of the motorcycle and tinkered with it over the years -- that's why it acts so funky.

Hand Of Glory - May 18, 2006 10:02 pm (#120 of 122)

I, like many of you, think that Hagrid's got it, but here's a random thought... what about Remus getting the motorcycle ? We know that James didn't completely trust Remus soon after Harry was born. Did Sirius feel the same way? He blindly trusted Peter. He also knew that Peter was the one that was passing on information to Voldemort by the last time he had his motorcycle... who knows....

Sticky Glue - Aug 12, 2007 12:32 am (#121 of 122)

I was pleased to see the motorbike play a part in DH. But still wonder where it's been all this time?

Mrs. Sirius - Sep 3, 2007 8:27 pm (#122 of 122)
Edited Sep 3, 2007 9:31 pm

Kat - Mar 23, 2006 5:00 pm (#96 of 121) Reply

I think you are on the right track, RoseMorninStar, that Mr. Weasley ended up with the Motorbike.

In fact, I suspect that maybe Mr. Weasley is the one who charmed the Motorbike in the first place, and that it is somehow connected to his flying car. Could it somehow BE the flying car?

I was looking through this thread and found this post. Kat and RoseMoringStar, if they are still with us, deserves some kudos. The motorcycle ends up in the Weasley's shed. Mr. W hides it there from Mrs. W.

I love all the symmetry in the DH. People who right on the Alchemy thread can explain it better, but having Harry leave 4 Privet drive, as he arrived, with Hagrid on the motorbike, was one of those moments that brought out the tears.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Sirius Black's Motorcycle Empty Re: Sirius Black's Motorcycle

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down