The Vanishing Cabinets

Go down

The Vanishing Cabinets Empty The Vanishing Cabinets

Post  Potteraholic on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:39 pm

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing, which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. It was copied/saved by Lady Arabella and reformatted/reposted by Potteraholic. ~Potteraholic

Solitaire - Jun 17, 2007 1:04 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Aug 5, 2007 6:38 am

I'm curious about the history of the Vanishing Cabinets and could not find a thread dedicated to them. How long have they been in their current locations? Has one of the pair always been at Hogwarts? If so, has its mate been at Borgin and Burkes since before Riddle worked there? If the cabinet at Hogwarts was broken only a few years ago, then is it possible that Tom Riddle moved back and forth between B&B and Hogwarts via the two cabinets during his tenure at B&B? Could he have had unrestricted access to Hogwarts for a period of years before his public emergence as Lord Voldemort? Any ideas, or has this issue already been thoroughly canvassed?

Solitaire
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

The Vanishing Cabinets Empty The Vanishing Cabinets (posts #1 to #53)

Post  Potteraholic on Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:42 pm

Mediwitch - Jun 17, 2007 3:45 pm (#1 of 53)

Hi Soli! I've also been afraid that perhaps Tom had access to Hogwarts via the Vanishing Cabinet while he worked at B&B, or even after. (I'm sure it would be a snap for him to break in.) That would certainly improve his chances of getting at relics which might be kept at Hogwarts without anyone being wiser.

Solitaire - Jun 17, 2007 4:14 pm (#2 of 53)

That is exactly it, Mediwitch! If this is the case, he certainly would have had ample opportunity to get in and jinx the DADA job rather than having to cast a silent spell on a rare visit to Dumbledore's office. Also, there is no telling what he could have taken out, brought in, or where he could have hidden things. That cabinet on Hogwarts premises makes it incredibly vulnerable to outside forces ... far more so than a few tunnels to the "outside world."

Solitaire

Pamzter - Jun 17, 2007 8:10 pm (#3 of 53)

I've always wondered how the cabinet/s "broke". Did a normal wear and tear malfunction occur? or did someone do something (spell?) to it/them? If so, who and why?

totyle - Jun 17, 2007 8:42 pm (#4 of 53)

Wasn’t Peeves dropping it above Filch's office in CoS 'break' the cabinet? Nearly Headless Nick persuaded Peeves in order to distract Filch from punishing Harry.

zelmia - Jun 17, 2007 10:45 pm (#5 of 53)

I believe so, Totyle. In which case Riddle/Voldemort would not have known about the secret access to the Hogwarts campus. Surely if he had known about this sooner, he would have simply killed Dumbledore - or Harry - at his own leisure.

But I believe Draco confirms that he recognised the potential for the cabinets on his own after remembering that particular Slytherin student who had been trapped in there by the Twins.

Steve Newton - Jun 18, 2007 3:25 am (#6 of 53)

In the COS read-a-long we discussed the possibility of Riddle having access to Hogwarts while at Borgin and Burke's. We drew no definite conclusion but thought that the possibility was very real.

Draco claiming credit for recognizing the potential of the cabinets does not seem like a totally convincing claim on the idea. I could see him exaggerating the importance of his contribution.

journeymom - Jun 18, 2007 8:17 am (#7 of 53)

Oh, I don't know. Draco isn't a complete idiot. He's not Crabbe or Goyle. He was really proud of his clever ideas, and was perversely pleased with Dumbledore's praise.

Solitaire - Jun 18, 2007 8:20 am (#8 of 53)

I agree, Steve. Draco does like to "name drop," and this seems like an extension of that kind of behavior. Perhaps Voldemort suggested the cabinets ... and, when he discovered the Hogwarts one was broken, made fixing them part of Draco's little project.

Solitaire

Mediwitch - Jun 18, 2007 8:49 am (#9 of 53)
Edited Jun 18, 2007 9:49 am

zelmia, I think that Voldemort may have known about the cabinet BEFORE it was broken. I think in his quest for knowledge about all things dark, he would have learned all he could about the dark objects in B&B's, including that cabinet.

If Voldemort used it to search for artifacts at Hogwarts (or whatever) before he went off traveling to learn more about the Dark Arts, he may not have felt the need to kill Dumbledore at that time - in his arrogance, Voldemort may not have viewed Dumbledore as the "threat" that he did later. Once he had left England (presumably, as Dumbledore says he disappeared), he wouldn't have had such easy access to it. After Voldemort was "vanquished" at Godric's Hollow, he couldn't use the cabinet since he didn't have a body, and the cabinet was broken in CoS, before Voldemort got his body back. So he didn't have access to the cabinet once Harry was at school and couldn't have used it to kill him, even if he did know about it. JM2K, of course, and I'm probably completely wrong!

zelmia - Jun 18, 2007 10:49 am (#10 of 53)
Edited Jun 18, 2007 11:50 am

Good points, all. But we really don't know how long the now-broken Cabinet was part of the Hogwarts inventory. I am more curious as to what it's doing at Hogwarts in the first place.

How did it get there? Was it delivered? If so, how?

Was it acquired recently or has it been there for centuries? Most importantly, why would such an item that is so fraught with potential risks have been brought to Hogwarts? Whose idea was this?

And so on...

Soul Search - Jun 18, 2007 11:41 am (#11 of 53)

And, perhaps more importantly, what circumstance led to one cabinet at Hogwarts and the other of the pair to be at Borgin and Burkes?

I am at a loss for even wild speculation.

Choices - Jun 18, 2007 12:10 pm (#12 of 53)
Edited Jun 18, 2007 1:12 pm

Maybe one Vanishing Cabinet connects with the next nearest cabinet - sort of like the Floo Network where fireplaces are connected. Or perhaps some sort of charm or spell connects them. There are two cabinets, but perhaps they were never a real "pair". I'm sure if that information is important, Jo will explain in book 7.

zelmia - Jun 18, 2007 12:55 pm (#13 of 53)
Edited Jun 18, 2007 1:56 pm

I think it would be more likely to be some sort of charm/spell that connects each pair. But a sort of "cabinet network" sounds just a plausible to me. I mean, what if you live in a little bed-sit or flat with only central heating and no fireplace? You could Apparate, but what if you have kids? A bit inconvenient, not to mention dangerous.

As to how one cabinet ended up at Borgin and Burke's I could easily come up with a backstory. For example, somebody came in to sell just the one cabinet because they didn't know what had happened to the other.

On the other hand, perhaps Borgin bought it because he knew precisely what had happened to the other.

Solitaire - Jun 18, 2007 2:00 pm (#14 of 53)
Edited Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm

we really don't know how long the now-broken Cabinet was part of the Hogwarts inventory.

This is precisely my question, Zelmia. I also wonder if the two cabinets could have been connected within Hogwarts originally ... and then one of them moved outside it at some later point. If so, could Riddle have managed to remove one of the cabinets when he left Hogwarts? It does not sound as though Armando Dippet was as watchful or suspicious of him as Dumbledore, so perhaps he could have pulled it off. If the cabinets had been tossed into the RoR (or perhaps one in the RoR and one in the Chamber of Secrets), perhaps Riddle figured out how to work them when he was still at Hogwarts.

I also wonder whether or not Riddle came back to "visit" (unseen, of course) Hogwarts during Dippet's tenure. If the cabinets were indeed a means of communication between B&B and Hogwarts many years ago, there is no telling what kinds of terror Riddle may have lying in wait for the inhabitants of Hogwarts.

Solitaire

zelmia - Jul 1, 2007 12:22 pm (#15 of 53)

I am guessing that Riddle/Voldemort didn't know that the other Cabinet was at Hogwarts. If so, surely he would have used them to attack Dumbledore/Hogwarts in precisely the way Draco did at the end of HBP long before Draco did at the end of HBP. There would have been no need for the charade of Barty Crouch Jr and the Polyjuice Potion, etc because Barty Crouch could simply have nabbed Harry and brought him to Voldemort... The possible plot points are endless, actually, if Voldemort had known about the other Cabinet.

Solitaire - Jul 1, 2007 1:49 pm (#16 of 53)

Perhaps, then, they have not always been where they currently are. I have a feeling that if one was in B&B when TR was there, he'd have checked it out. Don't you?

Solitaire

Choices - Jul 1, 2007 4:33 pm (#17 of 53)
Edited Jul 1, 2007 5:37 pm

I don't know. I would be somewhat dubious about getting into a cabinet and vanishing when I didn't know where or when I was going to come out. If he had some DE's at that time he might have let one of them try it out. I think Tom was a bit like Draco - he would have let someone else take the risk. We don't even have any evidence that Vanishing Cabinets come in pairs and are connected. What would make Tom Riddle even suspect that the cabinet in Borgin and Burkes might be connected to another cabinet somewhere, much less one at Hogwarts? Then again, maybe they do come in pairs and people used them to quickly get from their house to say....their sister's house or their parent's house. We just don't know how one cabinet might have gotten placed at Hogwarts and one at Borgin and Burkes - was it planned or was it just coincidence? Perhaps the one at Borgin and Burkes came from a private home - the home of a former headmaster at Hogwarts, and that's how he got to and from work quickly. The possibilities are endless.

Solitaire - Jul 1, 2007 5:53 pm (#18 of 53)

There could be any number of sources for the two cabinets. I just think Riddle may have found the RoR as a student. Why not? After all, he found the Chamber of Secrets. Suppose he saw the cabinet in the RoR. A few years later, when he was working at B&B, perhaps he saw its mate and began to ask about it and fiddle with it ... just to see what it did. He strikes me as someone who would do just exactly that.

Solitaire

Ginerva Potter - Jul 2, 2007 4:48 am (#19 of 53)

Well, I think that Voldemort did know about the Cabinets and may have always planned to use the Cabinets to take over Hogwarts. He has always feared Dumbledore and he might not have been ready to take over the school during the first war. I think he was waiting to have his horcruxes made before he attempted to take over and he wasn't expecting to lose his body when he tried to kill Harry. Then he didn't have his own body in PS/SS and the cabinet at Hogwarts was broken in CoS. So, honestly the opportunity hasn't presented itself until HBP when Draco fixed the cabinet.

Ginny

zelmia - Jul 2, 2007 9:25 am (#20 of 53)
Edited Jul 2, 2007 10:26 am

Well, I tend to subscribe to the KISS/Occam's Razor philosophy ("the simplest explanation is the most likely") and that sounds pretty complicated to me. I think the simplest explanation is:

(A) the Cabinet at Hogwarts was a recent acquisition (as of CS) therefore Voldemort wouldn't have known about it

(B) the Cabinet at Borgin and Burke's was a recent acquisition therefore Voldemort wouldn't have known about it

(C) It had simply never occurred to Voldemort to use the Cabinets as Draco did

Solitaire - Jul 2, 2007 5:37 pm (#21 of 53)

The idea that Draco figured out something Voldemort did not is a bit of a stretch for me. I will be extremely surprised if this is the case.

Jenniffler - Jul 2, 2007 6:41 pm (#22 of 53)

Soli I disagree (shock!). Draco, while not as proficient as Voldemort, started with real friends and the ability to network. He even looked for commonalties with Harry on their first meeting.

There is no sign Draco is a psychopath, so he might have a little more in the sense department than Voldemort. Also, I think being in close quarters with Harry, Ron and Hermione has rubbed off on him. He even admits getting the idea of working on the vanishing cabinet in the Room of Requirement was from them.

Ginerva Potter - Jul 2, 2007 7:58 pm (#23 of 53)

Hi Jenniffler - now I have to disagree with you. I don't really get the impression that Draco is friends with Crabbe and Goyle. I always thought he hung around them because they were bigger and stronger than him and they hung out with him because he had powerful contacts. Draco knows how to weasel (tee, hee, hee ) his way in with the right people just like his dad. Draco didn't even tell Crabbe and Goyle what he was doing in the ROR. I also think it's a stretch that Draco knows something that Voldemort doesn't especially since the other vanishing cabinet is at Borgin and Burkes. It just seems too coincidental.

I thought Draco got the idea of the vanishing cabinet from Montague(?) being stuck inside. I think he got the idea of the coins he used to contact Rosmerta from the trio. I could be wrong, but I don't remember him getting the idea of the ROR from the trio. It's about time for a re-read me thinks!

Ginny

Jenniffler - Jul 2, 2007 8:35 pm (#24 of 53)
Edited Jul 2, 2007 9:54 pm

Ginny, you are right about the coins and vanishing cabinet.

Those vanishing cabinets seem like straightforward magic, but what if they are not? After watching the movie "The Prestige" I get chills when it think of "disappearing" in one door and out the other. A vanishing cabinet would have a specific reason for being invented, like simulating apparition or yet another short cut in the castle. But why would anybody have a pair otherwise? It seems as if they correlate to the wardrobe holding the Boggart, and other magical doors that keep the uninitiated or untested out.

Edit I changed the tone of my post, so thanks Zelmia for the cross-post!

zelmia - Jul 2, 2007 8:44 pm (#25 of 53)
Edited Jul 2, 2007 9:44 pm

Draco only learned about the RoR because he was part of the Inquisitorial Squad in OP - which, as we all remember, was sent to chase the DA out of where ever they were meeting. Before that Draco wouldn't have thought of using the Room.

I don't think it's beyond Draco's capabilities to have figured something like that out. He's not stupid, just a bully. And after all, his life did depend on the Cabinet attack once he'd committed to it; so he really had no choice. And Voldemort has a pattern of overlooking simple but important details so he may have been suitably impressed with Draco's work there.

But I would say Draco does consider Crabbe and Goyle his friends, though by HBP he has very much outgrown them. Crabbe and Goyle certainly consider Draco a friend, which I think is why they are so ticked off at not being included in whatever Draco is working on.

EDIT: Sorry, cross posted with Jenniffler.

Solitaire - Jul 2, 2007 9:20 pm (#26 of 53)

Draco obviously knew about the cabinet before the HBP year of school started, because that is when the kids heard him in B&B, talking about repairing it. I believe you are correct that he got the idea from what happened with Montague--I think he said that. But how did he know where to find it?

I think Kreacher probably told him about the RoR--Sheesh, I'd hate to think it was Dobby! Still, the House-Elves work for Hogwarts, so they probably have to help students who ask them for help. Anyway, he probably walked back and forth in front of it, needing to find the room where the Cabinet was. But I still think it was Voldemort who gave him the specifics about how the Cabinets worked and what needed to be done.

I agree that Draco, while he may be a racist jerk, isn't stupid ... but I don't see him as a magical brain trust, either. I'd say he is probably on a par with Harry. He has the advantage of a lifetime in the magical realm--especially when it comes to evil-doing--but Harry has a major intellectual advantage in his choice of close friends (i.e., Hermione). Then again, Nott and Zabini seem considerably less vapid than the two GarGoyles." Perhaps they had input ...

Solitaire

Hagsquid - Jul 2, 2007 11:01 pm (#27 of 53)

Kreacher doesn't work for Hogwarts, he was ordered by Harry to go to the "kitchens of Hogwarts." I guess it's possible that Draco went to the Kitchens and found Kreacher...

As for Voldemort not using the Vanishing cabinets... who says he didn't. Maybe that's how we're going to discover that Gryffindor’s sword is one of the Horcruxes, and that's how Voldemort got to it.

rambkowalczyk - Jul 3, 2007 6:42 am (#28 of 53)

I just think Riddle may have found the RoR as a student. Why not? After all, he found the Chamber of Secrets. Suppose he saw the cabinet in the RoR. Solitaire

Sorry to nitpick on this but in Voldemort's time the cabinet was working just fine and therefore not in ROR. There is a reference to it in COS where Nearly Headless Nick suggests to Peeves to drop the Vanishing Cabinet to get Harry out of Filches office.

Although the arguments that Voldemort knew of the existence of the matched set are perfectly reasonable, I think Draco thought of this idea independently of Voldemort. Voldemort's orders may have been to kill Dumbledore and find a way into Hogwarts for the Death Eaters. He did not expect Draco to succeed, may not have wanted Draco to succeed in order to fully torture Lucius.

When Draco is talking to Dumbledore he seems to have the pride in doing something all by himself.

Solitaire - Jul 3, 2007 10:23 am (#29 of 53)
Edited Jul 3, 2007 11:27 am

the cabinet was working just fine and therefore not in ROR

Just because it was working fine doesn't preclude its having been in the RoR, does it? Even if it hadn't been in the RoR, that does not mean Riddle wouldn't have known what it was.

When Draco is talking to Dumbledore he seems to have the pride in doing something all by himself.

Except he wasn't doing things all by himself, was he? At the end of HBP Ch. 15, The Unbreakable Vow, we see this exchange between Snape and Draco:

"If you tell me what you are trying to do, I can assist you--"

"I've got all the assistance I need, thanks, I'm not alone!" ...

Farther down the page, Snape says the following: "... Now listen to me! You are being incautious, wandering around at night, getting yourself caught, and if you are placing your reliance in assistants like Crabbe and Goyle--"

"They're not the only ones, I've got other people on my side, better people!" ...

I still believe Draco was told by LV to use the Cabinets and was given the location of the one in B&B. He already knew the one at Hogwarts to be broken, after Montague's little sojourn in it ... so part of his job was to repair it, in order for the DEs to have an entree into Hogwarts. JM2K ..

Solitaire

Hagsquid - Jul 3, 2007 10:56 am (#30 of 53)

I was under the impression that it the cabinet was placed in the RoR by Malfoy when he "needed a place to hide something."

Before that, we know that it was out of the room, because Peeves spikes it to get Harry out of trouble in CoS.

There's nothing to say that Voldemort couldn't have easily found the one at Hogwarts, and then noticed it was a matching set to the one at B&B. He even may have used it to his advantage before Malfoy used it to DD's downfall.

Solitaire - Jul 3, 2007 7:50 pm (#31 of 53)

Do we know where Peeves got it? Might it have been in the RoR all along? If Peeves can pick up a heavy Cabinet, he certainly can open the door to get one out of the RoR.

Hagsquid - Jul 3, 2007 11:17 pm (#32 of 53)

Well, we know it's within earshot of Filch's office where Peeves drops it. Anyone up for leg work? ^^

Mrs Brisbee - Jul 4, 2007 4:47 am (#33 of 53)
Edited Jul 4, 2007 5:50 am

The Vanishing Cabinet was on the first floor (the floor above the ground floor) in OotP when Fred and George shoved Montague in it. It must have been moved to the RoR after that incident.

Choices - Jul 4, 2007 9:50 am (#34 of 53)
Edited Jul 4, 2007 11:04 am

I always thought it was in a room above Filch's office. Nearly Headless Nick persuades Peeves to tip it over causing quite a noise which brings Filch running to check on it. The cabinet was damaged and I believe that was what caused it to "malfunction" when Montague got lost in it. After that incidence, it must have been moved to the Room of Requirement to keep others from being trapped/harmed in it.

zelmia - Jul 4, 2007 11:25 am (#35 of 53)

Wasn't Filch's office on the ground floor? In CS Harry is walking up through the Entrance Hall from Quidditch, is caught by Filch, and the two turn back down the stairs toward Filch's office. Peeves later drops the Cabinet directly over the office. So it sounds like the Cabinet stayed there from CS to OP.

Hagsquid - Jul 4, 2007 1:01 pm (#36 of 53)

I always assumed that Malfoy had moved it to the "need to hide something" RoR.

Choices - Jul 4, 2007 6:17 pm (#37 of 53)

I agree, Zelmia. I think you're right.

Luna Logic - Jul 7, 2007 1:28 pm (#38 of 53)
Edited by Jul 7, 2007 2:28 pm

Re-reading CoS, I find strange that Filch is speaking of the cabinet as a "Vanishing Cabinet". He says it is precious (chapter eight), I suppose it is for that reason. Then, doesn't everybody knows it is used to make things disappear?

Also, this cabinet is described, after Peeves action, as totally broken, in pieces (sorry, I have only my French book tonight). Why make it whole again, because it was precious? But whole... not totally? Not magically whole?

In book 2, the cabinet in B&B is said to be black, and the one broken by Peeves to be black and golden. Are these two really the pair?

All that story is strange! or confused...

Choices - Jul 7, 2007 2:44 pm (#39 of 53)

I agree Luna. There are so many things in this series that we have so little information on that it makes it impossible to truly understand them. These Vanishing Cabinets are one of those - we just don't know enough about them to figure them out.

zelmia - Jul 7, 2007 6:39 pm (#40 of 53)
Edited Jul 7, 2007 7:46 pm

I think that's a good question, Luna.

"Harry looked swiftly around [Borgin and Burke's] and spotted a large black cabinet to his left; he shot inside it and pulled the doors closed..." - CS4

"'That vanishing cabinet was extremely valuable!' [Filch] was saying to Mrs. Norris."CS8

"Harry could see the wreckage of a large black-and-gold cabinet that appeared to have been dropped from a great height. 'I persuaded Peeves to crash it right over Filch's office' said Nick eagerly." - ibid

'I had to mend that broken Vanishing Cabinet that no one's used for years. The one Montague got lost in last year.' ... 'That was clever... There is a pair I take it' [Dumbledore responds]. 'In Borgin and Burkes' said Malfoy. 'And they make a kind of passage between them.' " - HBP26

Draco goes on to say that, after hearing Montague's story about being in a kind of limbo in between the two cabinets, that he, Draco, was the only one who figured out that the two cabinets were connected. To me Dumbledore's remark implies that these Cabinets do come in pairs, at least some of the time. It may be that because Harry was in somewhat of a panic, he simply saw a good place to hide, and what stood out for him was a "black" cabinet. Later, when he sees the "wreckage" of the broken one, he is casually speaking with Nearly Headless Nick. He has time to notice more detail.

Choices - Jul 8, 2007 8:37 am (#41 of 53)

Zelmia - "To me Dumbledore's remark implies that these Cabinets do come in pairs, at least some of the time."

I think this is another example of being able to interpret something two ways. I took it to mean that there were obviously two cabinets, since you could travel between them, but not necessarily that they were a pair or a set. Just that there were two that somehow got magically connected. When you put someone (Montague) or something in a Vanishing Cabinet, they/it have to go somewhere and Montague just happened to end up going back and forth between Borgin and Burkes and Hogwarts. The two cabinets must have connected somewhere in magical space and trapped Montague there for a time, forming a corridor between the two places. I still don't see the point of them coming in pairs - would a magical family really need two Vanishing Cabinets? That would be like having two dishwashers or two washing machines. It's possible, but not likely, in my opinion. I would love to know what the real purpose of a Vanishing Cabinet is. Are they like disposals or trash compactors? Do you hide in it if Voldemort comes to call? Do you shove you Mother-in-Law in it when her visit gets too long? Hmmm.....?

Soul Search - Jul 8, 2007 10:02 am (#42 of 53)

My read was that the cabinets had always been a "pair" that could be used to move from one to the other. Somehow, the "pair" got separated with one in Hogwarts and the other, eventually, ending up in Borgin and Burkes.

They were very old, and the one remaining at Hogwarts had been there so long no one remembered that they were a "pair." The one at Hogwarts became known as a "Vanishing Cabinet" when someone entered it and disappeared. No one used it after that, since "vanishing" is not something anyone would willingly do.

The twins shoving Montague into the "Vanishing Cabinet" really was dangerous and irresponsible. For all they knew, he would "vanish," never to be seen again.

Hagsquid - Jul 8, 2007 11:19 am (#43 of 53)

The twins shoving Montague into the "Vanishing Cabinet" really was dangerous and irresponsible. For all they knew, he would "vanish," never to be seen again.

As if that would have been loss. Wink

You don't suppose Voldemort found the pair at Hogwarts, and took one of them with him when he left do you? It would have allowed him a portal into the school, and it would explain how they ended up at B&B.

Of course... Draco states that he figured it out based on what Montague said, but he very well could have been lying.

Solitaire - Jul 8, 2007 9:06 pm (#44 of 53)

would a magical family really need two Vanishing Cabinets?

I believe a family wouldn't have two cabinets in the same place. One would be in the home, perhaps, and one somewhere else that the family might want to be able to go quickly ... rather than using Floo powder or Apparating. For example, I might have one here at home and one at school ... or perhaps the matching one might be at my mom's house. Think how my commute would be cut! LOL Having only one cabinet with no access to a second one is pointless, if you ask me.

Montague was probably able to hear what was going on via the other cabinet ... but because the one he was in was broken, a direct connection could not be established, so he could not exit the cabinet properly.

Solitaire

zelmia - Jul 8, 2007 9:25 pm (#45 of 53)

Many homes don't have a fireplace - or a fireplace that is no longer working (like the Dursleys). Many flats/apartments, for example don't have fireplaces. A wizard family living in such a dwelling would need some way to travel without Apparating if they have underage children in the home. Cabinets could serve that purpose for regular trips to ... say, Grandparents or favourite Aunties.

Solitaire - Jul 8, 2007 10:26 pm (#46 of 53)

Exactly!

Luna Logic - Jul 9, 2007 12:27 am (#47 of 53)

And maybe some wizards used to work as magicians in the Muggles' world. They could really vanish with those Vanishing Cabinets...

Choices - Jul 9, 2007 8:36 am (#48 of 53)
Edited Jul 9, 2007 9:39 am

So you buy two cabinets, place one in your house and one at work. What if 50 other employees decide to do the same thing? Would there be room for 50 large cabinets? The MOM and possibly Hogwarts seem to be the largest employers in the Wizarding World - the MOM employees seem to arrive by Apparating and Floo Network. We have not seen very many (actually none) Vanishing Cabinets at the MOM to accommodate employees who wish to arrive by that method of transportation. If you placed your spare Vanishing Cabinet in someone's home, that might invade their privacy. Dumbledore says wizards like to be able to refuse entry to another wizard, so you can't just Apparate into their home. Does the same apply to Vanishing Cabinets? Your family might not want you just "vanishing in" at some inopportune moment.

As to the fireplaces - I think all wizard homes have a fireplace. The Dursleys are Muggles, so fireplaces are only just fireplaces to them - not a transportation necessity. Just my opinion....:-)

zelmia - Jul 9, 2007 9:38 am (#49 of 53)

Well that could be true, Choices. And I agree with what you're saying about how impractical it could be as well.

But then Hermione comes from a Muggle family, as does Dean Thomas. What about people like them, who may not live in a "wizard" house? Does "council housing" offer the option of a fireplace?

What about if you go on an extended holiday? Hardly any (affordable) modern hotels have fireplaces. Though to be honest, I can't see dragging along a giant kiosk-sized box.

I'm just saying there has to be an alternative to the Floo Network, since it's certain that there would be at least a small percentage of the wizard population who don't have a Floo; or times when one isn't available and Apparating is not an option.

There are Portkeys, yes. But these seem to be the equivalent of Shuttle service (or perhaps even taxi service) and are highly regulated.

Perhaps when Dumbledore said "There is a pair" he meant only that there was a Cabinet out there in the world that could be linked and not "a matching pair". And I know I am the one who originally said his remark could have indicated that Cabinets come in pairs. I am revising that thinking.

Solitaire - Jul 9, 2007 1:23 pm (#50 of 53)
Edited Jul 9, 2007 2:24 pm

Perhaps many Cabinets can all be connected to a main one in a particular location ... rather like Arthur got permission to temporarily connect the Dursleys' fireplace to the Floo network. Maybe a Wizard can also refuse to allow some wizards to connect to his vanishing cabinet.

Solitaire

totyle - Jul 9, 2007 5:27 pm (#51 of 53)
Edited Jul 9, 2007 6:28 pm

Could it be that the cabinets are somewhat antique, and unique, definitely not to be commonly found in an ordinary wizards house. Only probably very old rich establishments used to have them in the past. They’re now probably obsolete. It does mention in the books somewhere (Filch I think) that it was priceless. So I’m guessing they’re just leftovers from an olden era, only to be found in Hogwarts/B&B (and perhaps elsewhere other countries but not relevant to storyline).

Solitaire - Jul 9, 2007 7:51 pm (#52 of 53)

Ooooh! Just imagine having a set of cabinets that work between two homes in different countries. I could really love that!

zelmia - Jul 9, 2007 8:21 pm (#53 of 53)

Filch says, "That vanishing cabinet was extremely valuable!" But that doesn't mean that Cabinets are obsolete. Ron says almost the same thing about Harry's Invisibility Cloak, which most certainly is not obsolete.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down