HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!)

Go down

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) Empty Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!)

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:30 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15th, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) Empty Posts 1 to 50

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!)
Kip Carter - Mar 6, 2004 4:41 am
Edited Sep 26, 2007 3:41 am

This thread was originally started by Chemyst on June 17, 2004. On November 19, 2005, while trying to merge another thread titled Harry Potter Spin Off's, originated by frogface, a "glitch" occurred. To correct the problems caused by the mishap, I had to establish this new thread.

Below is the text of Chemyst's initial post:

On the Rita Skeeter thread, Phelim Mcintyre writes. "But what would Rita's autobiography be like? JKR - please write it for charity. " During interviews, JKR has indicated she might indeed write some more books for charity someday. Here's what I'd like to add to this list:

How I Learned to Keep my Cool and Defeat the Dark Wizard Grindlewald, by Albus Dumbledore

The Daring Deeds and Duels of Sir Cadogan, by T. Potts

The Pensieve - How It Works, by Ruemin Atin.

What are your ideas?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris. - Jun 17, 2004 12:07 pm (#1 of 254)

Knight Bus schedule, by Miss D. Bus!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julia. - Jun 17, 2004 12:10 pm (#2 of 254)

Great idea for a thread Chemyst. I would love to see...

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshott,
Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger,
Basic Hexes for the Busy and Vexed,
Charm your own Cheese,
Dragon Breeding for Pleasure and Profit,
Helas, j'ai Transfigure mes pieds (Alas, I Have Transfigured My Feet),
Powers You Never Knew You Had and What to do With Them Now That You've Wised Up,
and of course... Hogwarts, a History

Phew, that was a rather long list. Thank G-d for the Lexicon!

Acceber - Jun 17, 2004 1:54 pm (#3 of 254)
My list:

Prefects Who Gained Power
Jinxes for the Jinxed
Men Who Love Dragons Too Much
The Beater's Bible
Practical Defensive Magic and Its Use Against the Dark Arts
The Monster Book of Monsters
Moste Potente Potions
New Theory of Numerology
Curses and Counter-curses (Bewitch Your Friends and Befuddle Your Enemies with the Latest Revenges: Hair Loss, Jelly-Legs, Tongue-Tying, and Much, Much More)
Invisible Book of Invisibility

All of Lockhart's books.

Was that too long? Basically I want all of the books JKR has mentioned to date published, even if the last one is done when I'm 150 .

TGF - Jun 17, 2004 3:19 pm (#4 of 254)

A History of Magic and Hogwarts: a History most certainly.

Oh, and Translating Mad Things Girls Do So Boys Can Understand Them by Hermione Granger.

popkin - Jun 17, 2004 4:20 pm (#5 of 254)
Edited by Jun 17, 2004 4:21 pm

Hogwarts, A History, of course, but the one book (series, actually) I have wanted to read ever since it was first mentioned is:

Martin Miggs, The Mad Muggle.

I would pay for that - especially if it was in comic book form.

mischa fan - Jun 17, 2004 4:40 pm (#6 of 254)

I would love to see Hogwarts, A History, and any of the Lockhart books.

freshwater - Jun 17, 2004 4:56 pm (#7 of 254)

Translating Mad Things Girls Do So Boys Can Understand Them, by Hermione Granger.

Good idea, TGF! But, it should be co-authored by Ronald Weasley, with an introduction by Harry Potter.

Isenduil - Jun 17, 2004 5:25 pm (#8 of 254)

Oh god, we need some history of the Magical World badly, so please write A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot and Hogwarts, A History. And Acceber, maybe I should go sell some Invisible Books of Invisibility to some people Wink.

Star Crossed - Jun 17, 2004 6:39 pm (#9 of 254)

Any Quidditch book. Not QotA, because that's actually sort of boring. As big a fan as I am of the game, that book bores me. I want Quidditch. Not the bloody invention of the broomstick and why. Especially any book about a Chaser. Best position. *eyes glaze over* Ne'er was there a greater sport than Quidditch.

Ahem. Anyways. Other than Quidditch books, I would love to read a muggle studies book, especially if written by Arthur Weasley. I also want to read Hogwarts, A History very badly. And any versions of fairy tales that wizards read to their children would rock, too.

I Am Used Vlad - Jun 17, 2004 7:39 pm (#10 of 254)

I could really use a copy of One Minute Feasts-It's Magic!, but only if it really works.

Padfoot - Jun 18, 2004 12:28 pm (#11 of 254)

I would like to read DD's autobiography: Give Socks A Chance

Accio Book Six - Jun 18, 2004 1:01 pm (#12 of 254)

Whoever said that they'd like to read the adventure of the mad muggle one... it's on the previous page and can't cite it... you get my vote and three gold stars! That would be hilarious!!! Like, they'd just have him do things that are normal to us but would be hilarious to wizards. Like they would have a story about him trying to work a xerox machine that keeps getting paper jammed, and eventually it would work. Get the punchline? It took that mad muggle so long! hahaha

And A History of Magic and Howarts: A History as well of course.

popkin - Jun 18, 2004 5:59 pm (#13 of 254)
Edited by Jun 18, 2004 6:00 pm

That was me. I picture Martin Miggs as a muggle among wizards, otherwise we wouldn't be able to see the humor in it. And, I think you're right, Accio, it'd be stuff like making copies with a xerox machine instead of magically, or trying to follow a difficult recipe and taking all day to make something (poorly) that a wizard could do in a few minutes. But, at the end of each strip things would have to somehow work out for Martin.....I think. At least he'd have to be upbeat about it all.

Maybe Martin could be the token muggle in the Ministry of Magic.

Anna Katarina - Jun 20, 2004 12:26 am (#14 of 254)

I'd love to read something like Fantastic Beings and Where to Find Them, I really miss information on things like Goblins and so on. But I guess that would be found in History of Magic... Hogwarts a History is a given.

Weeny Owl - Jun 20, 2004 9:02 am (#15 of 254)

I would like a collection of JKR's notes as she plotted the series. More in-depth background on the major characters, different endings if she had any others in mind, explanations of different items, and other things of that nature.

freshwater - Jun 20, 2004 4:04 pm (#16 of 254)

Along the lines of what Weeny Owl said....I'd pay for a book giving several different versions/drafts of key passages, but JKR decided on the final version. I think it would be fascinating to have a bit of a glimpse into JKR's creative process.

Nathan Zimmermann - Jun 20, 2004 9:41 pm (#17 of 254)

Hogwarts: A History, and How I Learned to Keep my Cool and Defeat the Dark Wizard Grindlewald, by Albus Dumbledore.

I also would pay for a biographical register of the members of the Order of the Phoenix, Death eaters, and the DA

Chris. - Jun 20, 2004 9:46 pm (#18 of 254)

A House Elf's Guide To Cleaning by Dobby and Winky.

Gilderoy Lockhart's Holiday Photos by Gilderoy Lockhart (if he gets better)

The Green Cross Code and Driving Test Tips by Stan Shunpike

Catherine - Jun 21, 2004 4:48 am (#19 of 254)

I really want to read the following:

Hogwarts, a History

Memoirs from a Locked Ward, by Alice Longbottom

Goats are People, Too! by Aberforth Dumbledore

Beyond the Veil, by an Unspeakable

Star Crossed - Jun 21, 2004 5:25 pm (#20 of 254)

Actually Goats are People, Too! sounds quite interesting.

TGF - Jun 22, 2004 3:43 pm (#21 of 254)

Errr, you know we really don't know what he was doing to those goats...

Just a random thought... you know, what written by JK Rowling wouldn't we be willing to pay for? Hell, I'd buy her grocery list here. Razz

I don't think she'd publish a book not mentioned in the proper series, but I guess this is all for fun. I think it'd be cool to have something that would account for how wizardkind came to 'tame' and use the Dementors.

Verbina - Jun 22, 2004 11:51 pm (#22 of 254)

Wasn't there an anonymously written book about werewolves mentioned in FB? I think that one would be interesting to read!! ^_^

Chris. - Jun 23, 2004 12:01 am (#23 of 254)

Yes, there was. Hairy Snout, Human Heart

I've always wondered if this anonymous author was Lupin.

Padfoot - Jun 23, 2004 9:43 am (#24 of 254)

That would be a nice way for Moony to earn a living, writing books!

popkin - Jun 23, 2004 2:10 pm (#25 of 254)

I bet he lost money on that one.

Padfoot - Jun 23, 2004 2:19 pm (#26 of 254)

If he is a good writer and no one knows the author is Lupin, then he would make money. He has a hard time finding an employer that wants to hire him. So I like the idea of self-employment for our Moony.

Emily - Jun 26, 2004 12:17 pm (#27 of 254)

Lupin couldn't have done it, because he would have had to before he left school. It was published in 1975.

And I agree that I'd buy just about anything JKR writes.

Chemyst - Jul 6, 2004 6:53 pm (#28 of 254)

Nature's Nobility: A Wizarding Genealogy, which was mentioned in OP chpt 6, would be most useful in the 'Who (What) is the HBP?' discussions.

ex-FAHgeek - Jul 7, 2004 8:00 am (#29 of 254)
Edited by Jul 7, 2004 8:01 am

I would like to see a book containing scenes like the one mentioned on JKR's site about Draco Malfoy and Theo Nott - a sort of "cut scenes from the books." Not discarded scenes or a parallel adventure of another character (although I wouldn't say "no" to either), but scenes that did happen but without a good place to put them. It would be great to see some side character development as well as stuff that didn't revolve around Harry.

Hem Hem - Jul 7, 2004 6:05 pm (#30 of 254)

That sounds really cool. Another one I'd like to read is the history of the Death Eaters-- she said that her notes on their formation was over 50 pages!

mischa fan - Jul 7, 2004 6:14 pm (#31 of 254)

I would like to see her publish all her papers she wrote up on the back story of Harry Potter.

Chris. - Jul 8, 2004 9:52 am (#32 of 254)

Yes, that would be cool. Might give us something more to talk about after Book 7.

zelmia - Jul 8, 2004 2:08 pm (#33 of 254)

I would like my own personal replica of the Marauder's Map. That was the ONE thing from the third film I couldn't wait to see how they handled; and I have to admit that, personally speaking, it matched my vision of it perfectly.

freshwater - Jul 10, 2004 8:46 pm (#34 of 254)

Zelmia, I would also love to have some sort of facsimile of the Marauder's Map...I wonder just how large/complex it would have to be? Actually, I've been surprised that someone hasn't marketed one yet....it would be a very fun way to have kids practice mapreading skills. :-)

Which just goes to show: you can put a teacher on vacation, but you can't stop her from planning lessons and scrounging for materials! **big grin**

Ozymandias - Jul 11, 2004 12:17 am (#35 of 254)

I've considered trying to make a Marauder's Map, but that's just way too daunting a task. Maybe someday when I'm really bored...

And freshwater, kids need map-reading lessons. Badly. I took a map-reading course next semester because it filled my math requirement without requiring much in the way of actual math (I'm an English major, what do you want from me?) and I would guess that half of the class failed. I'd hate to see what any of those people would do if they ever got lost somewhere.

Star Crossed - Jul 11, 2004 9:39 am (#36 of 254)

I'd sign up for that class! I can't even understand a map about my town. I could start from any side of my town, walk to the end of town, and back, and I won't get lost. You make me use a map and I'm lost forever.

Chemyst - Jul 11, 2004 3:43 pm (#37 of 254)

I'd think a Marauders' Map would almost have to be in either video game or computer game format. I can't imagine an ink on parchment one being very useful or fun. But a great idea! I'd want to wait until after book 7 before buying one though, because you'd never be sure if an earlier version included everything.

shepherdess - Jul 11, 2004 4:07 pm (#38 of 254)

How about a book on proper pronunciation of names, spells and items found in the books. Then we can all stop wondering and debating.

zelmia - Jul 12, 2004 2:33 pm (#39 of 254)

Apart from the obvious choice of wanting to see the textbooks, Hogwarts, A History, and all the rest of the ones previously mentioned, here is my list:

1) Hermione's Diary
2) Owl Post: A Complete Anthology. This would be a compilation of all the mail sent and/or received by all the major characters of the Harry Potter Saga, whether actually referred to in the text or not. It would include such items as letters from Viktor Krum to Hermione, notes Narcissa Malfoy included in her care packages to Draco, Draco and Lucius's letters to one another, Mrs. Weasley's letters to her children and vice-versa, Dumbledore's letters, Lupin's resignation letter, the Twins' blackmail letters to Bagman, and so on.
3) Mrs. Weasley's Cookbook
4) Arthur Weasley's Muggle Artifact Collection: the stories behind the raids
5) Lupin's Autobiography (Exactly HOW did he come to be bitten by a werewolf so early in life?)
6) Legislation, Regulations and Administrative Code of the Wizarding World. This would be a legal tome consisting of the exact wording of Wizard Laws, the specific indictments and punishments for transgressors, and also the lay translations for each.

Hem Hem - Jul 12, 2004 3:27 pm (#40 of 254)

I completely would pay for the Owl Post Anthology! What a great idea!

Czarina II - Jul 12, 2004 8:43 pm (#41 of 254)

Ditto what Hem Hem said.

It sounds like a major work of fanfiction after the seventh book is released.

sewfuninme - Jul 13, 2004 5:12 pm (#42 of 254)

Ooh, the Owl Post Anthology sounds fabulous. What a riot that would be to read.

Celestina W. - Jul 14, 2004 8:32 pm (#43 of 254)

I want to see JKR write Hogwarts, A History. Every time Hermione tells someone to read it, I always think, "Well, I'd love to, only it hasn't been written yet!"

I'd also love to read Lupin's autobiography, as he's my favorite character. Wouldn't it be great if it could include not only how he was bitten, but how he was cured? (Wishful thinking...but we can hope, can't we? )

The Owl Post Anthology is a great idea, too.

Loopy Lupin - Jul 18, 2004 11:22 am (#44 of 254)

A collection of Hermione's correspondence with Viktor Krum? Could be interesting albeit perhaps too personal. I think it would be interesting to see things completely from Hermione's point of view.

Sconie Girl - Jul 19, 2004 10:41 am (#45 of 254)

I loved Translating Mad Things Girls Do So Boys Can Understand Them by Hermione Granger.

I think that it would be a best seller...even outside of the Crazy Potter Fanatics. I know my husband would like to few pointers sometimes!

Catherine - Jul 19, 2004 3:48 pm (#46 of 254)

A collection of Hermione's correspondence with Viktor Krum? Could be interesting albeit perhaps too personal. I think it would be interesting to see things completely from Hermione's point of view. --Loopy Lupin

Oooh, me too. I'd be SUCH a voyeur on that point. While we're getting our abnormally large noses into other people's business:

I want to know what Ginny wrote in Tom Riddle's diary.

Anyone else?

Chris. - Jul 19, 2004 5:21 pm (#47 of 254)

I like the idea! But it depends if they used handwriting instead of just normal print.

Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 20, 2004 3:16 am (#48 of 254)
So it seems that Hogwarts A History is favourite. But I'd actually like the books to do with DADA in the room of requirement. And what about the book Moody/Crouch lent Neville on Magical Herbs.

Oh yes. And as I suggested it (and inadvertently started a whole new thread) Rita Skeeter's Memoirs. And Fudge's. Now what would that be called?

Justin Rapp - Jul 20, 2004 3:40 pm (#49 of 254)

Phelim - Rita's would have to be something entirely awful like Rita Skeeter, A Career of Journalistic Excellence, but would have to brush past a few key points of Rita's personal life *wink, wink Hermione.* And Fudge's, hmmmm, how about Cornelius Oswald Fudge (Order of Merlin, First Class, etc. etc.), A Man with a Plan.

I personally would love to read some of those restricted section books, especially Moste Potente Potions with those wonderfully gruesome depictions. I would like to see, for that book especially and also for any others, an upgrade in the quality of the books (I know it was done for free or cheaper), i.e. the pages were too thin, and the book was very flimsy.

Hoggy Warty Hogwarts - Jul 20, 2004 3:45 pm (#50 of 254)

The Standard book of Spells set 1-7

A Highly Biased and Selective History of Hogwarts, Which Glosses Over the Nastier Aspects of the School

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) Empty Posts 51 to 100

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 21, 2004 3:37 am (#51 of 254)

Justin - or could Rita's book be called "The Pen is Mightier Than The Wand"?

And as for the books from the restricted section, definitely. And I know one or two people who I would love to set the Monster Book of Monsters on. I do actually have that book mentioned in Prisoner of Azkaban on invisibility. But I can't find it to give you the wsbn (wizarding serial book numbers). Sorry.

Czarina II - Jul 21, 2004 9:24 am (#52 of 254)

How about a songbook -- Songs of the Sorting Hat and Other Hogwarts Selections. It could include all the Sorting Hat songs, Nearly Headless Nick's song, Weasley is Our King (both versions), any other song I've missed from the books, and maybe some others that JKR could make up. She could have someone write up some tunes for them.

Julia. - Jul 21, 2004 9:30 am (#53 of 254)
I really like Jim Dale's tune for Weasley is our King, that song's gotten stuck in my head for hours at a time! How would you make up a tune to the Hogwarts school song though, when Dumbledore says "everyone pick their favorite tune!"?

zelmia - Jul 21, 2004 1:55 pm (#54 of 254)

Could always use the John Williams Hogwarts Forever theme.

Czarina II - Jul 21, 2004 9:49 pm (#55 of 254)

Haha! The school song would be the easiest one -- just put in the words and the instructions: "Everyone sing this song to their own tune! Ready, get set, go!"

Oh -- and kudos to whomever sings it as a very long, slow funeral march! ;-)

Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 22, 2004 3:16 am (#56 of 254)

Sorry, the title of Rita's bio is The Quill is Mightier than the Wand. The book would be sponsored, of course, by Quick-quote Quills.

I would also love a Borgin and Burkes catalogue. Now who could I send that opal necklace to? Oh just had a thought about film 2. Must dash to check it out.

icthestrals - Jul 22, 2004 5:33 am (#57 of 254)

How about a year's worth of Quibbler issues? It would be too cool to see a wizard tabloid,...oh sorry, I mean newspaper.

Hermione Weasley - Jul 22, 2004 9:11 pm (#58 of 254)
Speaking of which, I'd kind of have a really strange desire to read:

What the Minister of Magic and His Ministry Have Hidden from the Rest of Us by Luna Lovegood

with obviously a forward stating that she wrote it during her Crumple-Horned Snorkack expedition.

But I love the idea of the Owl Post Anthology and the Translating Mad Things Girls Do So Boys Can Understand Them by Hermione Granger

Smile Also, Lupin's autobiography wouldn't come amiss either.

OOOHHH! I would also LOVE to see Sirius' little black book in print WITH notes in the margins!!

Loopy Lupin - Jul 23, 2004 7:18 am (#59 of 254)

How about a year's worth of Quibbler issues? It would be too cool to see a wizard tabloid,...oh sorry, I mean newspaper. -- icthestrals

I really like that idea. I would bet JKR could appreciate it too. She seemed to have fun writing the quibbler the first time around. Smile

Star Crossed - Jul 26, 2004 11:53 am (#60 of 254)

Hermione Weasley, as much as I would love to see Sirius' little black book in print WITH notes in the margins, we must consider the wee little ones who might stumble across the book. ;D

I would love to read the Invisible Book of Invisibility.

azi - Jul 26, 2004 12:14 pm (#61 of 254)

After much deliberation (and telling myself that I'd read anything from the HP world anyway) I've decided that I'd really like to read Harry's interview which appeared in the Quibbler and the letters he received in full. I know we already know what happened but I think it would be interesting to see how it was portrayed in the article.

Hermione Weasley - Jul 26, 2004 8:52 pm (#62 of 254)

Star Crossed,
Maybe JKR can put a parent warning label on it!Wink You know, "Parental Advisory: Caution Under 13 Not Allowed" just so we know it won't get out!

I can hear it now, "No, sorry kids, this book is for mommy...."

::shaking with suppressed mirth::

Hermione

Star Crossed - Jul 27, 2004 6:34 am (#63 of 254)

Yay! Now she just has to make it.

TomProffitt - Jul 29, 2004 5:54 pm (#64 of 254)

I really need Translating Mad Things Girls Do So Boys Can Understand Them by Hermione Granger.

But it's probably too late for me now.

Of the one's she's likely to write, I'd like the Owl Post Anthology.

Jo writes it, I buy it.

Are you reading this Jo?

Little Ginny - Jul 30, 2004 12:03 pm (#65 of 254)

I'd love to read The Marauding Years, Or An Animagus' Guide to Hogwarts and Memoirs of A Bitter Teenager by Severus Snape.

Oh, and the Owl Post Anthology, of course, and perhaps Totally Normal Things Boys Do And Why Girls Simply Don't Understand Them by Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.

Hermione Weasley - Jul 31, 2004 6:38 pm (#66 of 254)
Little Ginny,

Totally Normal Things Boys Do And Why Girls Simply Don't Understand Them by Harry Potter and Ron Weasley.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Fantastic Idea!!!! I would love to read that one as well!!

Luke E.A. Lockhart - Jul 31, 2004 7:49 pm (#67 of 254)

I think all teenage guys could use Translating Mad Things Girls Do So Boys Can Understand Them by Hermione Granger!

azi - Aug 1, 2004 11:38 am (#68 of 254)

I'm sure I've posted on this thread before, but anyhoo, I'd read anything that appeared from the HP world but would particularly like Hairy snout, Human Heart. It'd be brilliant.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 1, 2004 2:00 pm (#69 of 254)

Hogwarts, A History, the rest of my reading list will have to wait till I see how book 7 turns out...if I live that long...

Accio Sirius - Aug 3, 2004 1:29 pm (#70 of 254)

Here's a piece of news from TLC about an 8th book! I'll take an encyclopedia of all things Potty. I just hope it has everything we want in it! JKR: Read our wish lists!! : )

We've received several emails with this IMDB link, which reports that Jo Rowling intends to write an eighth Harry Potter book:

The English novelist - currently adding the finishing touches to her sixth Potter book - had previously vowed to only create seven adventures about the magical wizard. But she now wants to add an eighth entry, featuring outtakes she has edited from the series so far. Rowling will donate all proceeds from the book to charity, and publishers estimate the Harry Potter Encyclopedia" could make in excess of $18 million."

Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Aug 9, 2004 9:28 am (#71 of 254)

I absolutely love Owl Post: A complete anthology, but it should also include love letters from James to Lily, maybe some from Arthur and Molly when they were there, a lesson from Quickspell, and maybe Frank and Alice or Lucius and Narcissa letters too.

Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 9, 2004 8:28 pm (#72 of 254)

Touching Evil: Reflections on My Life as an Auror by Alastor Moody would be an interesting read, as would Silent Sentinels: A History of Aurors by Alastor Moody and Kingsley Shacklebolt and dedicated to the memory of Frank and Alice Longbottom

Luke E.A. Lockhart - Aug 9, 2004 8:36 pm (#73 of 254)

Why It Sucks To Be An Evil Dark Lord, by Tom Marvolo Riddle (written after book 7)

Dr. Strangecurse, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Avada Kedavra, by Harry Potter

BTW, everyone should check out the Evil Overlord list site at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It's hilarious!

Archangel - Aug 9, 2004 9:20 pm (#74 of 254)

Thanks for the link Luke! *** very big grin ***

As for a book, I'd love to get my hands on Snape's Diary or as one suggested, the Owl Post Anthology. Although the love letters would be nice (a bit of Griffin and Sabine but that's OK), I think it would be cooler to also show the correspondence between DEs when they were younger.

Jessalynn Quirky - Aug 23, 2004 7:19 pm (#75 of 254)

Every textbook ever mentioned in Harry's world, even Lockhart's and the one Umbridge assigned--I'm like Hermione, I love books and would probably find most of them fascinating. JKR should also write a book by Fred and George Weasley (my favorite characters, right after Hermione) listing practical jokes they've done and how they got some of their products from WWW to work. That would be funny and interesting, and I'd definitely pay for it!

sewfuninme - Sep 9, 2004 9:44 am (#76 of 254)

Nathan - love your ideas on books about Aurors. They sound wonderful. Very thoughtful titles.

Nathan Zimmermann - Sep 9, 2004 11:47 am (#77 of 254)

Thank You.

Here is another possible title I would like to see,

The War of the Phoenix and the Stag: A history and biographical register of the Order of the Phoenix and Dumbledore's Army By Hermione Granger

Christina Branco - Sep 10, 2004 7:47 am (#78 of 254)

Hey, forget books..... We know that JK's preferred method of organizing is the shoebox method, so why doesn't she just make a copy of every single note she wrote, every doodle she drew, every notebook she filled up, and pack it all in shoeboxes. It would be a best-seller.

Harry Potter - The shoebox editions (sponsored by Doc Martens)

Tomoé - Sep 16, 2004 9:48 pm (#79 of 254)

That will be a Hagrid size shoebox then. ^_~

dragon keeper - Sep 23, 2004 8:03 pm (#80 of 254)

It would keep us busy for a while and answer a lot of questions though!

Jessalynn Quirky - Sep 27, 2004 3:20 pm (#81 of 254)

But where would I keep it? My shelf is too small. It should come in volumes. Much easier to put on a shelf. :-)

Ginevra-Weasley - Oct 6, 2004 7:41 am (#82 of 254)

What about these books?

1) Harry Potter and The Kidney Stone

2) Harry Potter and The Chamber Pot

3) Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Afghanistan

4) Harry Potter and The Goblet Of Pumpkin Juice

5) Harry Potter and That Shouting In All Capitals Problem

Julia. - Oct 6, 2004 5:49 pm (#83 of 254)

Hey guys, I thought you might like this...

archvist’s note: the post originally contained a link or picture that didn’t save during the archiving process.

Quidam - Oct 7, 2004 6:30 pm (#84 of 254)

I would like it if JKR wrote a book of background information on Hogwarts students (like she did with Dean Thomas on her website). Just a few paragraphs on each one to tell us; if they are pure-blood, half-blood or muggle-born; family structure, where they live, friends, parents occupations and other information we might find interesting.

Tomoé - Oct 8, 2004 2:36 pm (#85 of 254)

Oh Yes! with their sortings, their careers advices, when they receive their letters, bought their wands or get one from their families, who are their friends and why, why Jo switch Anthony Goldstein and Michael Corner from Hufflepuff to Slytherin, plus more!

Veritaserum - Oct 11, 2004 7:28 pm (#86 of 254)

What's that about Tony Goldstein and Mike Corner switching to Slytherin?

Chemyst - Nov 1, 2004 6:54 pm (#87 of 254)

The Secret Diaries of Severus Snape.

legolas - Nov 2, 2004 1:43 pm (#88 of 254)

What age Chemyst?-It just makes me think of Adrian Mole Diaries.

timrew - Nov 3, 2004 3:41 pm (#89 of 254)

Sort of, The Secret Diaries of Severus Snape, Age Fourteen and Three Quarters?

Little Ginny - Nov 4, 2004 9:29 am (#90 of 254)

Why not the edition in 28 volumes, covering every year since he started Hogwarts until Harry leaves it?

Nearly Legless Mick - Nov 4, 2004 10:41 am (#91 of 254)

I'd love to read the story of how Hagrid's dad (small and mild-mannered) romanced and won the heart of a fiercesome giantess.

I know true love conquers all, but seriously HOW?

Star Crossed - Nov 7, 2004 6:16 am (#92 of 254)

I'd love to read the story of how Harry's dad romanced and won the heart of a girl who hated him.

sewfuninme - Nov 10, 2004 7:54 am (#93 of 254)

Seems as if that might be some of the backstory that JKR says we will get in the next two books. She says the questions we have about the marauders will be answered by the end of book seven, and that there will be no need for any books about them. But that is an interesting question, how does James convince Lily that he is more than a big-headed jerk?

azi - Nov 10, 2004 8:04 am (#94 of 254)

Good question sewfuninme. I don't have an answer. Smile Perhaps they were forced to spend so much time together as head boy and girl that Lily got to know the 'real' James? *shrug*

I thought of a book. The Life of Minerva McGonagall, as written by herself, all sarcastic remarks included. It would be hilarious!

Veritaserum - Nov 10, 2004 4:36 pm (#95 of 254)

How about The Life and Times of Filius Flitwick, such as whether he really is a human or a goblin/dwarf/elf(?), how he was the dueling champion, etc.

Jessalynn Quirky - Nov 10, 2004 6:16 pm (#96 of 254)

The Complete Diaries of All Hogwarts Teachers Since the School Started. Very long read, probably.

Czarina II - Nov 11, 2004 9:07 am (#97 of 254)

A Christmas songbook with God Rest Ye Merry Hippogriffs and other magical carols.

Jessalynn Quirky - Nov 11, 2004 1:37 pm (#98 of 254)

That too.

Ydnam96 - Nov 12, 2004 7:23 pm (#99 of 254)

I would love to read Hogwarts a History. I'd REALLY love to see JKR publish a book of her notes, drawings, scribbles, and anything else she used while writing. I'm sure she's got great backstory for all the various characters, plus maybe chapters she chucked in the trash and all that. Kinda like a DVD bonus section- deleted scenes and behind the scene- the making of- but as a book. I would LOVE that. Dumbeldore's autobiography would be fun. Petunia's diary! Hagrid's biography. Shoot- anyone's biography.

Veritaserum - Nov 12, 2004 7:53 pm (#100 of 254)

The Invisible Book of Invisibility

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) Empty Posts 101 to 150

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:59 pm

wwtMask - Nov 18, 2004 12:28 pm (#101 of 254)

Veritaserum, i just can't see that book... Wink

Magical Mediterranean Water Plants and Their Properties, Modern House Elf Fashions, The Quidditch World Cup Program, Muggles Who Knew All of the Careers Pamphlets for 5th years, A Review of Magical Education (for various nations), A collection of Quibbler and Daily Prophet articles

Mrdrama - Nov 18, 2004 9:44 pm (#102 of 254)

How about The Wizard's Chess Strategy Guide? It should tips on how to earn the trust of your pieces and how to mend them.

Chemyst - Nov 23, 2004 5:26 pm (#103 of 254)

Modern House Elf Fashions - wwtMask

Too funny. I'm not sure that would meet the "willing to pay for" qualifier, but I'd surely want to browse through it at the store!

Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Dec 2, 2004 1:21 pm (#104 of 254)

Everybody on the Azkaban thread was curious as to who else besides the DE's were put there, so how about Diaries of a Convict: What I Learned while in Azkaban

Veritaserum - Dec 8, 2004 3:00 pm (#105 of 254)

The Life and Times of Darrell the Dementor (who, according to some people, may at one time have been a Dark Wizard.)

Ludicrous Patents Office - Dec 9, 2004 8:34 pm (#106 of 254)

Veritaserum, does Darrell have a brother named Darrell? Great title. LPO

Veritaserum - Dec 10, 2004 8:09 pm (#107 of 254)

Sorry, why would Darrell have a brother called Darrell? I feel like I should be getting it, but I'm not.

Eponine - Dec 10, 2004 8:18 pm (#108 of 254)

I believe LPO is referencing the show Newhart where a character named Larry, every single time he came on the screen said, "Hi, I'm Larry. This is my brother Darrell, and this is my other brother Darrell."

Of course, I could be wrong.

Veritaserum - Dec 11, 2004 8:55 am (#109 of 254)

Ahh, thank you.

Chemyst - Jan 1, 2005 7:42 pm (#110 of 254)

The Secret Loves of Dolores Jane Umbridge
- and where they are now.

Nathan Zimmermann - Jan 1, 2005 7:45 pm (#111 of 254)

Chemyst, that is hilarious. I would think they would be in Azkaban or Saint Mungo's by now

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jan 1, 2005 9:44 pm (#112 of 254)

Yes, Eponine, that is what I meant. Sorry, Veritaserum, for the vague reference. LOL Chemyst. LPO

timrew - Jan 2, 2005 5:10 am (#113 of 254)

LOL Chemyst!

Grawp and Dolores, sitting in a tree......

(It would have to be a Sequoia!

Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 5, 2005 4:34 am (#114 of 254)

How about the Hogwarts School song set to music. One set of lyrics but thousands of tunes.

Hollywand - Jan 8, 2005 4:32 pm (#115 of 254)

Titles I'd love to have:

Go Ask Albus: A Practical Guide to Human Behaviour

Albus in Wonderland: An Autobiographical Pathway to Alchemy

Professor Sprout's Forbidden Forest Diet Guide: Guaranteed Weight Loss or your Sickles Refunded!

How to Make Enemies and Influence House Points by Potions Master Severus Snape

Think I'll order these through Amazon right now and see what they say.

The giant squid - Jan 9, 2005 12:24 am (#116 of 254)

Albus in Wonderland

I'll take two!

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jan 9, 2005 4:53 pm (#117 of 254)

Great list, Hollywand. I'll order a copy of each. LPO

Hollywand - Jan 9, 2005 6:02 pm (#118 of 254)

Thanks folks! What about:

The Severus Snape Birthday Gift Guide: "What to Get for the Git Who's Got It All

;-)

Veritaserum - Jan 10, 2005 3:36 pm (#119 of 254)

Mischief Managed: Memoirs of the Marauders (OR Harry OR the Weasley twins OR a history of the Marauders' Map.) Wow, this is really an all-purpose title.

Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 14, 2005 2:13 am (#120 of 254)

Just jumped from the Predictions for Books 6 and 7 thread. Have been told that people think a Death Eater cadet force is likely called the Death Nibblers. Reminds me of the Muppet Babies - how about it? Snape, Malfoy et al in diapers/nappies causing trouble for a child-care witch in stripy socks. A cartoon format of course. Any takers?

sewfuninme - Jan 14, 2005 7:27 am (#121 of 254)

I would love to read Mischief Managed, a history of the Marauders. That would be highly entertaining.

Lina - Jan 18, 2005 3:46 pm (#122 of 254)

Severus Snape: an Angel or a Vampire?
or
Who is behind the black tunnel eyes?

Or something like that.

Not to mention Hogwarts: a History !

Veritaserum - Jan 18, 2005 8:24 pm (#123 of 254)

Right on, Lina. Good ones.

How about Oh You May Not Think I'm Pretty... an autobiography of the sorting hat.

Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 19, 2005 1:53 am (#124 of 254)

How about a collection of the Sorting Hat's greatest hits. What did it sing in Harry's second and third year?

I would also like a human/mermish dictionary. You never know when you may have to talk with them.

timrew - Jan 19, 2005 3:35 pm (#125 of 254)

Wasn't it..... Wherever I Lay My Hat, That's My Home ?

Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 20, 2005 1:46 am (#126 of 254)

How about - Where Did You Get That Hat? Memories of Godrick Gryffindor ?

Veritaserum - Jan 20, 2005 4:12 pm (#127 of 254)
lol.

Okay, this isn't a book, but how about Lupin forms a band called The Werewolves of London?

Hollywand - Jan 20, 2005 10:04 pm (#128 of 254)

That's the best, Veritaserum! ;-)

João Paulo Costa - Jan 22, 2005 8:33 am (#129 of 254)

Sorry if this has already came by, but I'd like to buy:

A REVISED history of Hogwarts , by Hermione Granger.

of course, I'm supposing that she will be living after the series.

Phelim Mcintyre - Jan 27, 2005 8:09 am (#130 of 254)

how about a Weasley Wizard Wheezes Joke Book ? For budding Gred and Forges everywhere.

Chemyst - Feb 22, 2005 11:09 am (#131 of 254)

Goblin Wars
~ an insomniac's guide to unmedicated sleep

pottermom34 - Feb 22, 2005 12:33 pm (#132 of 254)

Hogwarts a History

Snuffles - Feb 22, 2005 3:05 pm (#133 of 254)

'Death eaters and me! An autobiography by Severus Snape.

Nathan Zimmermann - Mar 3, 2005 8:53 pm (#134 of 254)

Wand Brilliancies: A guide how to astound NEWT Examiners by Albus Dumbledore

Double, Double, Toil and Trouble: A Memoir of Mischief in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries edited by Albus and Aberforth Dumbledore with contributions by Remus J. Lupin, Dung Fletcher, and Hagrid.

The giant squid - Mar 4, 2005 5:01 am (#135 of 254)

Don't forget Fred & George Weasley, true makers of mischief if ever there were any...

Catherine - Mar 4, 2005 6:29 am (#136 of 254)

LOL, Mike!

How about Make Mischief and Money the Weasley Way?

Or Mayhem and Beyond: Memoirs of the Weasley Twins

or We Solemnly Swear that We Are Still Up to No Good!

Nathan Zimmermann - Mar 4, 2005 3:40 pm (#137 of 254)

Goatee, Goatee, wherefore are thou Goatee: an account of my experiments with goats . by Aberforth Dumbledore

Double, Double, Toil and Trouble Part Deux: A guide wholly devoted to the mischief of the Weasley's by Gred and Forge Weasley

Saud - Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm (#138 of 254)
Yearbook.

Ponine - Mar 23, 2005 5:50 am (#139 of 254)

Coming Out of The Toy Box; A Closet Beanie-Baby Collector Remembers By L.Voldemort

Phelim Mcintyre - Mar 24, 2005 1:43 am (#140 of 254)

How about the book on the adult cover of Half-blood Prince!!!!!!!

pottermom34 - Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am (#141 of 254)

How about The Life and Times of Albus Dumbledore . Or instead of The Three Musketeers, The Four Marauders.

Aqualu Nifey - Mar 29, 2005 6:19 pm (#142 of 254)

Ponine, you've visited 101 Ways to Annoy Lord Voldemort too frequently.

*still laughing* Beanie Babies! That should be on the list. =D

dizzy lizzy - Apr 8, 2005 2:16 am (#143 of 254)

The pocket crosswords (and other logic problems) of Severus Snape.

pottermom34 - Apr 8, 2005 7:42 pm (#144 of 254)

Bertie Botts: Behind the Beans

Lina - Apr 14, 2005 2:19 pm (#145 of 254)

Fred and George Weasley: Our special recipes

Elfcat - Apr 19, 2005 4:26 pm (#146 of 254)

*laughs so hard that her mother begins to worry*

I could definitely go for the notes and doodles, as well as the Owl Post Anthology . The books by HRH on how to understand the opposite gender should come as a single volume, possibly a flip-flop book.

GryffEndora - May 13, 2005 1:44 pm (#147 of 254)

This may have already been mentioned but since he's been mentioned in both OotP and FB I'd love to read He Flew Like a Madman (a biography of "Dangerous" Dai Llewellyn) . Not to mention Hogwarts: A History

pottermom34 - May 13, 2005 7:30 pm (#148 of 254)

Hogwarts... A History

How to treat a Centaur...without getting trampled on . By Firenze

Muggle Madness

How I Miss the Screams: A Book About Torture , by the hundred eye monster himself, Argus Filch

Nathan Zimmermann - May 14, 2005 7:25 pm (#149 of 254)

The Machiavellian Guide to Magic: Profiles of Bartimeus Crouch Sr ., C. Oswald Fudge and Voldemort

Miriam Huber - May 15, 2005 5:03 am (#150 of 254)

Collected Magical Jokes , by A.B.W. Dumbledore

(I want to know how the one about a troll and a hag -- and a leprechaun? -- going into a pub ends!)
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) Empty Posts 151 to 200

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Kip Carter - May 15, 2005 6:28 am (#151 of 254)

At present, there is a new poll to determine the Best Single Choice from the Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!).

Please excuse my interruption of the flow on this thread, but I felt that those who frequent these discussions would find this interesting and may want to throw their "two knuts" into the mix.

This link to my Post #97 on the Vote thread should take you to the beginning post which starts the Vote process. The poll is a two-part, two-week poll. The first week began Friday the 13th!

pottermom34 - May 15, 2005 12:34 pm (#152 of 254)

Living with a Potions Master... By Gina R Snape

Mrdrama - May 15, 2005 1:12 pm (#153 of 254)

Magic Through the Centuries: Observations of Nicolas Flamel

GryffEndora - May 16, 2005 11:31 am (#154 of 254)

I mistakenly posted this explanation on the vote thread so I thought I'd move it here. I figured as long as were asking for books we'd like to read it couldn't hurt to include the info I'd like to be included in the book once written, so If/When we get Hogwarts: A History this is what I want to be in it.

Hogwarts: A History - with information about all the spells placed on the castle, background on all the ghosts, all the headmasters, all famous former teachers and students, information on all subjects ever taught at the school, clear detailed explanation of the prefect system, the OWL and NEWT systems, a layout of the all the floors, classrooms, and secret rooms, full descriptions of all the common rooms and a number of beds available in each dormitory, a description of how the school was founded and built, the first subjects taught, who the first students were, a clear description and meaning behind the ceremony involved in bringing the first year wizards to Hogwarts, a list of all the staff positions with accompanying list of job duties and responsibilities and a full biography of each of the founders from before the school was formed to their deaths. I want this book to be AT LEAST as long as PS/SS.

Ludicrous Patents Office - May 17, 2005 3:22 pm (#155 of 254)

Hogwarts: a History . I want to read it so poor Hermione won't be the only one to have read it! LPO

Phelim Mcintyre - May 18, 2005 1:12 am (#156 of 254)

LPO, but so many people read Hogwarts: a History in Chamber of Secrets to find out about the Chamber this is now old hat. Hermione's update, possible called Hog-warts and all (including house elves etc.) would be more interesting.

Solitaire - May 22, 2005 9:07 am (#157 of 254)
Edited May 22, 2005 9:54 am

I suspect A History is automatically--and magically!--updated each time something significant happens at Hogwarts.

I voted for Great Wizarding Events as my second choice, although I was disappointed with the options. All of the choices I found fascinating did not even make it into the list. I might buy the Snape diaries, if they were ever published--because I am a Potter fan and he is a huge part of the Potterverse--but I dislike Snape so seriously that I'm not sure about that. I can't even imagine wanting to read Magical Me. Alas ... earwax!

Solitaire

Kip Carter - May 29, 2005 9:52 am (#158 of 254)

The poll Books for Charity - 2nd Book closes out this evening Sunday 29 May 2005. At present any of four books could end up with the number one position in this poll. There are only four votes separating the first and fourth place book.

If you want to have an effect on the results, either cast your vote or if you have already voted, you still have time to change your vote.

The first poll Books for Charity (21 May 2005 to 28 May 2005) closed last night with Hogwarts, A History receiving fifty-seven (57) percent of the votes. Comparing the other five books which are on both polls, The Secret Diaries of Severus Snape and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century have received greater benefits whereas Magical Me has taken a hit in the midsection.

Owl Post: A Complete Antholog y and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts have doubled their vote percentage being that Hogwarts, A History is no longer in the race. (13 votes) 22%

Astragynia Winifred Posy Miranda Yseult Cawdor - Jul 13, 2005 10:06 pm (#159 of 254)

Three Purebloods, Three Paths: The Lives and Times of the Black Sisters , by Nara Tiv and Byogra Phee with Afterword by Nymphadora Tonks.

Memorable Magical Duels Through the Millennia , by Missy N. Glimbs.

The Truth is Down There: The Complete Records of the Department of Mysteries, Or At Least All the Interesting Bits. Smuggled out for publication by the late Mr. Sven Sord.

World Domination for Dummies, by You-Know-Who (or at least ghost-written by him).

How To Win Friends And Influence People, Or Imperio Them If That Doesn't Work . By Lucius Malfoy.

Why Muggle-Hunting Should Be Legal, by Meliflua Araminta.

The Mists of Azkaban , by Morgana Le Faye.

Zen and the Art of Flying-Motorcycle Maintenance , by Sunyata.

Chocolate Frog Cards: A Compleat Collector's Guide , by Esau Terrick.

Survival Sans Sorcery, Or How the Other 99% Live: An Introduction to Muggle-Studies , Third Edition. By Prof. Ivor E. Towers.

Apparition for Dummies , By Iris Kallott.

When the Dark Mark Flies: A Tribute to the Fallen Heroes of the Voldemort Wars , by Byogra Phee.

(Obviously, I mean some of these more seriously than others!) Smile

Madam Pince - Jul 14, 2005 7:41 am (#160 of 254)

***is crying laughing****

Bravo, Astragynia! That is a fantastic list! You put a lot of thought into that one!

Missy N. Glimbs.....

Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 15, 2005 9:57 am (#161 of 254)

To love or not to love a Goat: A history of my experiences with goats by Aberforth Dumbldore.

The Barman's guide to espionage by Aberforth and Albus Dumbledore

The Flying Tigresses: A series of biographical sketches of the notable women involved in the fight against Voldemort . by Hermione Granger and Ginevra Weasley.

The Wars of the Weasleys: How to parent seven children and two adopted children without being sent to Saint Mungo's. By Arthur and Molly Weasley

Astragynia Winifred Posy Miranda Yseult Cawdor - Jul 15, 2005 12:02 pm (#162 of 254)

Why thank you, Madam Pince. Smile

Hmm, Nathan, The Barman's Guide to Espionage ... I'm intrigued! (Though wouldn't The Barman's Guide to Espionage and Counter-Espionage be more accurate? Or would that reveal too much)?

Umm, I think you may be making some unsubstantiated assumptions about Aberforth and his goats, though...

Saralinda Again - Jul 15, 2005 4:28 pm (#163 of 254)
Edited Jul 15, 2005 6:07 pm
Edited for YIKES spelling error.

The "counter" in counter-espionage being a reference to the Hog's Head bar itself? Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) 464751818

Kneazle-breeding for Dummies , by Arabella Figg, foreword by Argus Filch, introduction by Mrs. Norris

My [Brief] Life as a Ferret , by D Malfoy

Up From the Gutter Kitchens: My Freedom From Butterbeer Addiction , by Winky H-E, as told to Dobby H-E

Finn BV - Jul 15, 2005 6:03 pm (#164 of 254)

Great lists everybody! I'm still laughing. "Introduction by Mrs. Norris," "Iris Kallot," "Missy N. Glimbs…" – wish I had humor like that!

Hmm, Saralinda, took me a little while to catch on with the H-Es of Dobby and Winky. **is a little slow** Oh!

Saralinda Again - Jul 15, 2005 6:06 pm (#165 of 254)

The H-E was meant to refer to the way 12-step programs use only an initial after the first name. Smile

Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 18, 2005 4:56 am (#166 of 254)

With doing a spoiler - there are a number of books from HBP I would like to get hold of, plus a deluxe sugar quill of course.

Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 4, 2005 8:17 pm (#167 of 254)

How to Date a Dead Man Flying: A Young Witches’ Guide to Dating a Marked Wizard like Harry Potter by Ginny M. Weasley

Little Ginny - Aug 6, 2005 5:17 am (#168 of 254)

Nathan, yes, but with an appendix- Tattoes for Young Wizards, And What They Tell You About Masochism

Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 6, 2005 11:28 pm (#169 of 254)

An Auror's Guide: How to Capture the Heart of a Middle Aged Werewolf in 10 Easy Steps by Nymphadora Tonks Lupin

Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Aug 9, 2005 4:06 pm (#170 of 254)

Phelim, I assume you mean the HBP potion book?

I would love to have the character encyclopedia JKR mentioned in the Melissa & Emerson interview

Phelim Mcintyre - Aug 10, 2005 5:34 am (#171 of 254)

Yes Matilda I do.

Herm oh ninny - Aug 10, 2005 8:00 am (#172 of 254)

Dragon's Blood: the Uses that were Missed by H. E. Slughorn

[b][i]The Power of Love
by A. P. W. B. Dumbledore

Snuffles - Aug 11, 2005 12:41 am (#173 of 254)

I hope DD has a copy sent to Harry, Herm oh ninny!

P.s. What an adorable avatar.

Herm oh ninny - Aug 11, 2005 7:07 am (#174 of 254)

Thanks snuffles! She is my cousin's 2 year old daughter, Lisa. ( I'm not sure what that makes her to me.....2nd cousin? That stuff always confuses me. We are Greek, and I call all my parents cousins Aunt or Uncle...even though they aren't! My cousin tells her to call me Aunt Kelly )

Finn BV - Aug 11, 2005 9:28 am (#175 of 254)

That would make her your first cousin once removed, Herm oh ninny.

… when you are geeky enough to know this.

… when you realize this has nothing do to technically with Harry Potter but post it anyway.

Herm oh ninny - Aug 11, 2005 10:53 am (#176 of 254)

LOL Thanks Finn!

Phelim Mcintyre - Aug 12, 2005 1:16 am (#177 of 254)

Hern o ninny - great avatar.

Herm oh ninny - Aug 12, 2005 7:24 am (#178 of 254)

Thanks!

Finn BV - Aug 23, 2005 5:52 am (#179 of 254)

Oh, whoops, I just realized this wasn't the YKYAHPLFW thread! Because I thought it was when I posted #175! Oops, too late now.

HungarianHorntail11 - Aug 26, 2005 11:05 am (#180 of 254)

How about the 7 jewels story she started when she was young? She could work on it and, chances are, it would be quite a read, as well as a refreshing change for her.

Chemyst - Oct 5, 2005 4:21 pm (#181 of 254)

The Enchanted Encounters series by Fifi LaFolle.

frogface - Nov 19, 2005 11:06 am (#182 of 254)

Harry Potter Spin Off's

Some earlier mentioned that if JKR were to do a spin off story on any of the characters they would like to see stories about Fred and George. I forget who said this and where so apologies to that person. But it got me thinking that it might be quite fun for us to mention our own ideas for Spin Off's. Obviously this is just hypothetical, so don't take it literally, it’s just for a bit of fun. Also please note that this isn't a fan fic thread. Don't write a story down, just mention the character you would like it to centre on (canon characters only please - no fanfic), a basic description of what the story would entail, and the medium you would like to see it in - it doesn't have to be a book. I'll get the ball rolling with an example...

A Series following Mad-Eye Moody as he rounds up Death Eaters in the first war against Voldemort. It would take the shape of a detective series in a comic book strip, or graphic novel.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Choices - Nov 14, 2005 5:54 pm (#183 of 254)

Me, me, me - waving hand in air like Hermione. LOL I want a spin-off about Severus Snape - What We Always Wanted to Know about Snape, But Were Afraid to Ask - the whole story. Now there's a book I could sink my teeth into....LOL

One about the twins (Double Trouble - Double the Fun would get my vote also and I'd like to read The Story of Dumbledore .

vball man - Nov 14, 2005 7:58 pm (#184 of 254)

I'd like a parallel set of books called, Draco Malfoy and the Phil. Stone, Draco Malfoy and the Chamber of Secrets , etc.

These would be very interesting books. Even though we know the overall story, Malfoy's perspective is really totally unknown. If Malfoy eventually responds to an invitation of Harry's to turn good (which I think he will), then the story of Malfoy would worth telling.

frogface - Nov 15, 2005 2:03 pm (#185 of 254)

That would be interesting, particularly Draco Malfoy and the Half-Blood Prince ! I'd quite like to see something on Tonks as well. She has quite a fun character and there’s quite a lot of scope for a story about a metamorphmagi auror.

Dr Filibuster - Nov 15, 2005 5:17 pm (#186 of 254)

I second Choices The Story of Dumbledore.

How about The Marauders Memoirs ?

Diagon Nilly - Nov 15, 2005 6:45 pm (#187 of 254)

I'd like a parallel set of books called Draco Malfoy and the Phil. Stone, Draco Malfoy and the Chamber of Secrets, etc.

These would be very interesting books. Even though we know the overall story, Malfoy's perspective is really totally unknown. If Malfoy eventually responds to an invitation of Harry's to turn good (which I think he will), then the story of Malfoy would worth telling.

Great idea! Orson Scott Card did something like this with his "Ender's Game" series with the books "Shadow Puppets" and "Shadow of the Hegemon" which is written from the perspective of Ender's classmates.

Of course, there's the classic "Rosencrantz and Guilderstern Are Dead" which is Hamlet from the perspective of two supporting characters. Being it's a comedy, the HP version could be "Fred and George Are Redhead" Heheh. Okay, that was corny.

hawick girl - Nov 16, 2005 4:51 pm (#188 of 254)

Reminds me of Stephen King's Desperation and his pseudonym Richard Bachman's The Regulators. The same characters, in different circumstances.

wynnleaf - Nov 16, 2005 5:41 pm (#189 of 254)

I'd love a story that focused on Fred and George. They are so cool. And I agree with Choices about Severus Snape, too. Full back-story please! And I'd love to see inside the thoughts of DD, his backstory and all.

hawick girl - Nov 16, 2005 5:45 pm (#190 of 254)

The Chronicler (Luna's Dad's magazine) as a Book the weird stuff according to Wizards anyway.

What about a Story from Fawkes' Point of View?

Veritaserum - Nov 18, 2005 2:06 pm (#191 of 254)

Hawick girl, isn't Mr. Lovegood's magazine the Quibbler?

I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but chronicles of the marauders while they were at Hogwarts, and VWI.

Chemyst - Nov 18, 2005 5:31 pm (#192 of 254)

I know it is sort of hard to find with the reorganization of threads, but there is already a folder called Opinions Group Section that has an ongoing list of book titles that we'd like JKR to write. The thread is called Books for Charity We'd Like to Read

Maybe I should ask Kip to change the title and merge these threads before this gets too long and hard to move?/?

Honour - Nov 18, 2005 8:17 pm (#193 of 254)

I too would like to read Dumbledores Story , maybe like as in prequels: The Hogwarts Founders, Dumbledore and Grindelwald, James and Lily ...

frogface - Nov 19, 2005 5:07 am (#194 of 254)

Sorry Chemyst! I was sure there wasn't anything like this so I just went ahead and made it. I'm so lazy hehe. By all means suggest that to Kip.

I think JKR has said that by the end of book 7 we would have all the back story on James and Lily etc we will need. So I wouldn't suggest so much a prequel, but maybe a story that concerns their own stories rather than Harry's. (A prequel seems to Star Wars to me lol).

I've always hoped that JKR would write Hogwarts: A History one day after she's completed the series.

Madame Librarian - Nov 19, 2005 6:57 am (#195 of 254)

Maybe just a short story here. A she said/she said telling, titled something like I Used to Like My Sister , or, It Was the Frog Spawn That Did It ."The early years of Petunia and Lily, each taking a turn for their side.

Come to think of it, a collection of HP-related short stories might allow tales about some characters or aspects of the HP universe that wouldn't merit a full novel.

Ciao. Barb

Finn BV - Nov 19, 2005 11:06 am (#196 of 254)

Please, Chemyst, the name of the thread is "Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!)". Really, I'm not so sure I could cough up some of the dough for these stories.

Phelim Mcintyre - Nov 21, 2005 7:58 am (#197 of 254)

Having read through the posts I notice no one has suggested Hermione's book on ancient runes. I think the DADA book mentioned in HBP, Fighting the Faceless , seems like a good read though. Sounds like a good one for dealing with telephone sales people.

Chemyst - May 4, 2006 2:31 am (#198 of 254)
Edited May 4, 2006 3:32 am

A recent post on the Who will die in books 6/7? thread gave me an idea for a charitable book that could be written after Book 7 comes out:
Survivor's Diaries

geauxtigers - May 4, 2006 5:20 pm (#199 of 254)

I like that Chemyst! I think she should write Hogwarts, A History , and Flying with the Cannons and maybe Monster book of Monsters and any book with background info too would be good!

Choices - May 4, 2006 5:22 pm (#200 of 254)

I like that idea too, Chemyst. Sort of a “What Are They Doing Now" book.

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) Empty Posts 201 to 254

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Rea - May 5, 2006 2:04 am (#201 of 254)

I would be really glad to read Wands book by J.K.Rowling . There are two copies on the shelf in the link's page on Jo's site. Do you think that their presence can foreshadow their publication? I could be easily wrong but I think I'll read it!!!

bigearl - May 8, 2006 10:44 am (#202 of 254)

I'd like like to see The Trilogy of Dumbledore . The 1st Volume could have Dumbledore as a child at Hogwarts, then making his way in the wizarding world as a young adult wizard. The Second Volume could be about Grindelwald, Tom Riddle & The Rise of Voldemort. The Third Volume could be basically The Harry Potter Story told from Dumbledore's perspective.

Magic Words - May 14, 2006 10:18 am (#203 of 254)

Hogwarts, A History , with Hermione's notes in the margins (about house-elves,etc.)

Owl Post Anthology seems like a great idea, too.

Parallel novels, or scenes that were cut from the books. Prequels, sequels, short stories, whatever. Especially, anything about the Marauders. I know, I know, we'll have all the backstory we need by the end of book 7... the key word here being 'need,' not 'want.'

Diary entries/letters of... pretty much anyone, as long as it's a relatively major character (I'm not too interested in Aunt Marge, for instance, but Snape is a great idea.)

Oh, heck. Put everything in. Call it Harry Potter and the Silmarillion.

Choices - May 14, 2006 4:53 pm (#204 of 254)

How about Everything You Have Been Dying to Know about the Harry Potter Characters and More ??

Snuffles - May 15, 2006 12:28 am (#205 of 254)

Lol Choices. That book would have to come with a free fork lift truck to carry it home

Phelim Mcintyre - Oct 6, 2006 5:37 am (#206 of 254)

Having sat the second of three WOMBAT tests - how about a revision guide for WOMBATS (the tests not the creatures). Or after number three all three tests as one book so we can test each other.

Mollyweaselbee - Oct 17, 2006 3:10 pm (#207 of 254)

I would like to see a book on the latest characters about ten years from now. I think it would be interesting to see who becomes a professor at Hogwarts and who works at the ministry, and who marries who. I have my own ideas as well as other people. I think it would be fun to see how different and or the same our thoughts are compared to JKR's. What does anyone else think? I would be more than willing to buy anyone of the books she might right for charity. I love HP and the world he lives in.

Laura W - Oct 17, 2006 10:57 pm (#208 of 254)
Edited Oct 17, 2006 11:58 pm

I think a bit of that will appear in the Epilogue of Book Seven, Molly, but I agree with you that I would enjoy a whole book devoted to that subject.

Laura

John Bumbledore - Oct 19, 2006 1:49 pm (#209 of 254)

How about a W.O.M.B.A.T board game for charity!

shadzar - Oct 19, 2006 5:10 pm (#210 of 254)

Harry Potter PnP RPG. (that means Harry Potter pencil-and-paper roleplaying game.)

Like Dungeons and Dragons but set and using the Potterverse and its denizens and magic. Preferably NOT d20 system unless that is all that could be done.

I know many RPG fans of Harry Potter, and would be happy to buy a new game (even if it must be the d20 system) for charity.

or, since choices are a big part of the story, how about a "Choose Your Own Adventure" book set in the HP universe.

Chemyst - Jun 13, 2007 11:45 am (#211 of 254)

W.O.M.B.A.T. Answer Key

John Bumbledore - Jun 14, 2007 11:52 am (#212 of 254)
Edited Jun 14, 2007 12:53 pm

W.O.M.B.A.T. Study Guide

(that is of course supposing that the W.O.M.B.A.T. test will be repeated each year for all those who have newly discovered Harry Potter and the Wizarding World.)

Jenniffler - Jun 18, 2007 4:43 pm (#213 of 254)
Edited Jun 18, 2007 5:45 pm

On the Potions thread, a point about a searchable version of the Harry Potter texts was made. I would buy something like that for charity, or to just make JKR richer, as her good causes seem to be well chosen. Think how easy it would be, finding evidence to convince people I'm not as crazy as I look for absolutely loving the HP series.

EdMo - Jul 18, 2007 1:27 pm (#214 of 254)
Edited Jul 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Like everyone before me said, Hogwarts: A History . I would also like to read these:

Modern Magical History

The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts

Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century

A History of the Triwizard Tournament

and, The Harry Potter Lexicon Unofficial Reader's Guide (Hint Hint Wink Wink)

Littlesaintnick - Jul 26, 2007 4:18 pm (#215 of 254)

The Journals of Dumbledore and Snape

Hogwarts - A History

History of Magic

Chemyst - Jul 27, 2007 7:30 am (#216 of 254)
Edited Jul 27, 2007 8:32 am

The Tale of the Three Brothers
and Other Wizarding Fairytales

Chemyst - Aug 5, 2007 9:28 am (#217 of 254)

Neville and the Giant Snake

Esther Rose - Aug 6, 2007 6:59 am (#218 of 254)
Edited Aug 6, 2007 7:59 am

Grawpy's revenge.

::Go Grawpy!!::

Snuffles - Aug 7, 2007 1:10 pm (#219 of 254)

Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump!

Viola Intonada - Aug 16, 2007 6:52 pm (#220 of 254)

Along with Hogwarts: A History I would like to read The Tales of Beedle the Bard translated from the original runes and the book on Wizarding Genealogy.

painting sheila - Aug 27, 2007 6:43 pm (#221 of 254)

Just take all your notes, scraps of paper, napkins with drawings - everything!!! and copy it, bind it - it doesn't have to be neatly done!! I would stand in line days for that one.

Can you imagine the feeding frenzy as we tried to decipher and fill in things that you knew but didn't need to share! Holy Cow!

PeskyPixie - Sep 25, 2007 8:02 pm (#222 of 254)

The whole series from Snape's point of view, sort of like 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead'. You know, Severus Snape and the Philosopher's Stone , etc ... no idea what HBP would be called!

painting sheila - Sep 26, 2007 7:07 pm (#223 of 254)

The Half Blood Prince - An Autobiography (of course!)

PeskyPixie - Sep 27, 2007 6:32 am (#224 of 254)

I like it!

Snuffles - Sep 27, 2007 6:57 am (#225 of 254)

As long as it stated his mother was called Irma Pince. Then that would set the record straight on a popular theory! Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) 464751818

megfox* - Sep 27, 2007 3:03 pm (#226 of 254)

HBP could also be called Severus Snape IS the Half-Blood Prince , like they used to do when announcing the cast of movies...

PeskyPixie - Sep 28, 2007 6:26 am (#227 of 254)

That's cute too!

PeskyPixie - Oct 22, 2007 12:59 pm (#228 of 254)

I want a joke book where I can find out the rest of DD's 'troll, hag and leprechaun' joke.

PeskyPixie - Oct 24, 2007 9:22 am (#229 of 254)

Biographies of Dumbledore and Snape

Narcissa's Nemesis - Nov 1, 2007 10:37 am (#230 of 254)

Aaaarrrrgg! JKR has written The Tales of Beedle The Bard , and it's not going to be mass published! Why, why, why?! How dare she do that to us! I don't have £30,000.00 spare to buy the only copy being auctioned!

Madam Pince - Nov 1, 2007 11:33 am (#231 of 254)

I agree, Narcissa's Nemesis. Pretty poor way to treat her fans, methinks...

legolas returns - Nov 1, 2007 11:52 am (#232 of 254)

The auction book probably won’t go to a fan but to someone who wants to possess it so others can’t. .

Orion - Nov 1, 2007 11:54 am (#233 of 254)

We can write our own version of Beedle The Bard and face the next lawsuit together.

PeskyPixie - Nov 1, 2007 12:19 pm (#234 of 254)

Sounds like a plan, Orion. I also insist that you include the ending you've made up for Snape as bonus material. It cracks me up each time I think of it!

Orion - Nov 2, 2007 10:08 am (#235 of 254)

LOL sure!

Meoshimo - Nov 20, 2007 9:07 am (#236 of 254)

...or the person who might buy it likes the cause the money will go to. It would be nice if the person has at least read the series, hopefully someone who appreciates it. I wonder if any of them will copy it on to the internet.

Madam Pince - Nov 28, 2007 9:27 pm (#237 of 254)

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!)?

Apparently, the Sotheby's catalogue for the sale of Tales of Beedle the Bard .

(Egad, but how we've fallen... We're down to reading catalogues now...)

shepherdess - Nov 29, 2007 11:44 am (#238 of 254)

Catalogue; Phooey! All that is, is something that says "look at what you don't have".

If Jo really wants to raise money for that charity, why doesn't she just go ahead and publish a copy of the book? If she makes it like a regular book (typed and mass copied instead of hand written, paper or hardback instead of bound in leather, obviously not covered in gold(?)..silver(?) and gems), then it would not detract from the "specialness" of the gifts she's giving to her..um..chosen people. Nor would it detract from the huge price she's going to get from the one she's auctioning.

And ta-da; she wins, the charity wins, the fans win, and the winner of the auction wins. Everybody's happy!

Denise P. - Nov 29, 2007 3:42 pm (#239 of 254)

I agree, Shepherdess, but was told that was incredibly selfish of me to think that way. Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) 1242194059 I still think it is a win-win situation for everyone.

painting sheila - Nov 30, 2007 9:02 pm (#240 of 254)

In the description of the catalog it states that there are comments from Jo about the book.

Does that make it better shepherdess?

shepherdess - Nov 30, 2007 10:16 pm (#241 of 254)

Well, I suppose that might make it a little more worth it for anyone who's determined to have it. Sorry, but her talking about a book I can't have isn't good enough for me. I still think it's a slap in the face to her fans for Jo to show off what she's doing for a select few, knowing full well that the rest of her fans want it too, but not letting them have it. She's just dangling an unattainable carrot in front of us. I think it's mean to us, and less than helpful to her charity. So unless and until she publishes the book properly, neither she, nor her charity, nor some printing company will get my money.

This is all personal opinion, of course, but I'm not happy with Jo about this. We supported her for years; right through to the very end. Now I feel like she's stabbing us in the back. No matter how I try to wrap my mind around her reasoning, no matter how hard I try to think kindly about this, I still keep coming up with the same conclusion: it's not fair to her fans and it stinks. Period.

Choices - Dec 1, 2007 10:19 am (#242 of 254)

Shepherdess, I tend to agree with you on this. Special friends are great, but what about her mass of special fans? We are the ones who have made her and these books what they are - the most popular writer and series of books in history. We deserve some special perks too. It was our money spent on her books that made her the richest writer in the UK....maybe the world. Give us a break.

Meoshimo - Dec 1, 2007 11:13 am (#243 of 254)

She gives quite a lot and is involved in many charities, she created a wonderful world in which to play and has been compensated for it. She and her fans are square; she doesn't owe us anything.

PeskyPixie - Dec 1, 2007 1:13 pm (#244 of 254)

I don't feel JKR owes fans anything, but at the same time the hurt being expressed by many fans is also justified.

I think that the different personalities of different people just tend to rub each other the wrong way at times. For example, regarding the query about becoming JKR's penpal (on her website), JKR answers that she's very busy and her kids have to come first. Fans have millions of penpals to choose from while her children only have her for a mother. This is a straightforward, honest answer.

However, I can also see how a small child who idolizes JKR may be hurt by the bluntness of it. Personally, I'd go in the line of, 'I'm so busy now and there's such a large amount of mail due to the popularity of HP that I'd have to pick and choose among all of you and I'd hate to do that because I value you all. How about making penpals with one another?' or something like that. I wouldn't choose to incorporate my family life with my interaction with fans because, like it or not, many fans do have emotional attachment to their 'hero'.

Nevertheless, what JKR feels is honesty on her behalf may be interpreted differently by fans who happen to have different personalities than her. -myself

Similarly, she may feel she is being honest with her fans by sharing her decision regarding The Tales of Beedle the Bard with them on her site, without realizing that this may hurt fans who eagerly wait to enjoy her creativity.

On a separate note, I'd like to read A History of Magic. It would sure help us understand the wizarding world and the history of other magical beings (such as house elves) better.

Madam Pince - Dec 1, 2007 3:24 pm (#245 of 254)

***applauds shepherdess*** I agree totally.

Someone walking out a door in front of someone else whose arms are full of packages doesn't owe it to them to hold the door for them, either. But it's the right thing to do.

I love her books. But lately I have not been in love with her actions / statements. She has come across to me as a bit snippy and sort of "high and mighty." But that's just me. She probably feels she's just being direct, or honest, or whatever.

shepherdess - Dec 1, 2007 3:28 pm (#246 of 254)

I love the world Jo has created for us, and I'm absolutely grateful for all the enjoyment it has brought to me and my family. And if she doesn't want to write the book because she doesn't owe us anything, I can certainly accept that. And if she chooses to just make a few special books for a select few people, that's fine too. Even if she knows others would like to have it. But if she's going to that she should keep quiet about it.

But to write the book, and then to tell us she's written it but we can't have it, and then to give us the "privilege" of (only) buying a catalogue that has information about the book we want and can't have, is unnecessarily cruel. Not because she's not giving us something that might be our due, but because she's flaunting something that she knows we want and then withholding it from us.

Yes, she is being honest with us and I do believe in honesty--it's a good thing. But I also believe, just as it's better to be honest than dishonest, that there are times when it's kinder to just say nothing than to be honest and hurt someone. She could have just done those few books for her friends privately and quietly, and saved a lot of hurt and disappointment. She didn't have to make it public knowledge.

As far as her not realizing that she's hurting people, I'm not sure how that's possible. She knows we want the book (and any other HP related book we can get her to write). Let's say she's making five books for friends (I don't remember the actual number..6, isn't it?). Now surely, she wouldn't have to stretch her imagination very far to guess that there are five fans from the general public that would want the book as much as her friends would. Surely she could easily conclude that for her to say "these five people get the book because they're my friends, but it's not going to be available to these other five", that would hurt the other five. And I know she knows she has more than five fans who could be hurt by that.

Sorry, but I still think she's being mean.

Madam Pince - Dec 1, 2007 3:35 pm (#247 of 254)

...because she's flaunting something that she knows we want and then withholding it from us.

That's how I saw it, too, but like Denise, when I used the analogy of someone holding a steak over a dog's head and then taking it away from him, I was cyber-chastised. I still think it's not a very nice thing to do to the dog. Just keep your steak in your refrigerator; don't go waving it about.

The most charitable I can get about it is to think (hope?) that she isn't really being "mean," but she's just being uncharacteristically insensitive or clueless. As you say, sometimes it's better to say nothing than to be "honest" and hurt someone.

PeskyPixie - Dec 1, 2007 3:41 pm (#248 of 254)

That's how I saw it, too, but like Denise, when I used the analogy of someone holding a steak over a dog's head and then taking it away from him, I was cyber-chastised. -Madam Pince

But I rather gallantly defended you with a snippily, snide post of my own, didn't I?

Madam Pince - Dec 1, 2007 3:43 pm (#249 of 254)

Ever the knight in shining armor, you are! Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) 2222139670

Orion - Dec 2, 2007 5:50 am (#250 of 254)

In a few months you can all have it because it will be mass-printed. Who wants to accept the bet? She just whets our appetites for it.

Edited to correct typo.

Chemyst - Dec 2, 2007 10:27 am (#251 of 254)

I have wondered about that, Orion. In fact, I even argue with myself so much that I could never decide clearly enough to post my thoughts.

On one hand, if the bidders and winner of the auction knew the book would be mass produced with a mass publication date– for next spring, within a year, whatever… would that affect the bidding? If so, how? Are they bidding as an investment? (At those prices that seems likely.) Would mass production of a paperback copy adversely affect that? Or could it make the book even more popular? Could the bidders claim JKR should have told them if such a thing is/was planned? Would failure to reveal her full intent be a form of fraud? Where is the balance maximized between supply and demand? Yada, yada, yada. Then too, at what point does charity become something other than an act of a pure heart? We cannot judge the motive here, but few of us are so naive that we have never seen people who give for show or for tax shelters, so such thoughts do float across the back of our mind. Or we could get all metaphysical and start asking if true value is determined not by price but by the cost to the giver. Yada again.

That said, one book of fairy tales is never enough, so there ought to be another book of Wizard Fairytales and Nursery Rhymes so that wizards who actually have to work their wands for a living can spend their knuts charitably too.

shepherdess - Dec 2, 2007 3:22 pm (#252 of 254)

Well, I'm sure all the bidders who don't win the auction would be happy if the book is mass produced. They will still get to buy a copy, and pay a lot less for it. Granted they may be somewhat disappointed that it isn't the special edition. But they'll be ok.

How a mass production of the book may affect the winner would depend on their motive for buying the book. If they wanted the book just because they're a HP fan and want to read the stories and this is the only way they can, then they might be angry because it wasn't necessary for them to have spent that much money, but they will still have the satisfaction of knowing that their copy is far more special and valuable than the ones everyone else has.

If their reason was that they wanted to be (nearly) the only person to own a (pretty much) one of a kind book, hand written by JK Rowling (with all the trimmings) because it's rare and valuable, then they shouldn't be much bothered by a mass production. The copy they have is still just that, no matter how many paperbacks (or hardbacks) are sold to the public.

If the book is mass produced I will still think it was kind of mean for Jo to have treated her fans this way, but I will forgive her. I hope I will have the opportunity to do that.

PeskyPixie - Feb 15, 2008 11:51 am (#253 of 254)

I'd love The Pocket Book of Snapeisms. (Sev's got some of the funniest lines in the series!)

Mrs. Sirius - Mar 27, 2008 9:43 pm (#254 of 254)

Wow! There was a lot of anger here, hmm:-)

Well, Amazon is taking it on the road so we may all have the opportunity to see it. That charity is very happy I am sure.

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!) Empty Re: Books for Charity We'd Like to Read (and are willing to pay for!)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down