HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arthur Weasley

Go down

Arthur Weasley Empty Arthur Weasley

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:53 pm

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing, which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. It was copied/saved by Lady Arabella and reformatted/reposted by Potteraholic. ~Potteraholic

Zoe's dad - Mar 31, 2004 10:00 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 3:55 am

I changed the status of this thread to Permanent. - Kip

Okay, I know he is mentioned in a lot of threads, but I don't see one devoted to him. He is one of my personal favorites. I think he is a lot more powerful than we realize, and that his standing in the MOM is greater than JKR lets on. It seems like every time there is trouble, he is involved with making it right. I think it is only his love for all things "Mugglish" that has kept him back. He is said to be well respected by most in the WW, and is just a likable fellow.

The only one I can think of that does not like him is Malfoy Sr. I think this is because Arthur is respected and liked without having to pay people off. His natural personality takes care of this. He strikes me as hard working, kind, and a good family man. After all, most of his kids, Percy being the exception, have turned out rather well. Even Percy had to learn his work ethic from someone.

I hope I am not out of place by starting a thread like this, but I just feel he is too major of a character not have his own thread.

Dan
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Arthur Weasley Empty Arthur Weasley (posts #1 to #50)

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Sherbie Lemon - Apr 1, 2004 8:18 am (#1 of 249)

I agree, Dan. I'm glad you started a thread for Mr. Weasley. Personally, I love Arthur and think his role will become increasingly more important in the series.

vball man - Apr 1, 2004 10:19 am (#2 of 249)

I agree. Mr. Weasley is great and wonderfully written. I love his collections! Plugs! That's a perfect example of people getting interested in something they don't understand and completely missing the point. At least Arthur is enjoying himself!!

Denise P. - Apr 1, 2004 10:24 am (#3 of 249)

I really like Arthur as well. I don't like how he is in the movie, to me he comes across as much more dim than he is in the books. I think he is grossly underestimated.

Chris. - Apr 1, 2004 10:29 am (#4 of 249)

The movie doesn't do him justice! I imagined Arthur as a smart wizard but with a sense of humour. The film shows him as a stupid comedian.

Going on to the books, do we think Arthur has a chance for the Minister's job?

firebird - Apr 1, 2004 11:02 am (#5 of 249)

I don't see how he could be the next Minister for Magic, since it seems that purebloods have a lot of influence... and I don't think it's just with Fudge. And he's got a very low-paying job (I THINK he does, although with seven kids, even a decent salary would disappear fast) and has had no significant promotions (since according to Ron, he likes it where he is).

I love Arthur too! He's a very likeable character... his light-heartedness (esp. contrasted to Molly's strictness) and his great enthusiasm for all things Muggle... I like the way he always mispronounces the names of Muggle artifacts.. ecklectrickery or something, and pumble... Smile

Padfoot - Apr 1, 2004 12:08 pm (#6 of 249)

I also like Arthur a lot. Hopefully in the upcoming PoA movie he will be shown in a better light.

I do not think he will be the next Mom, but he could be eventually. He needs to move up the ranks more. And I think he will actively try to get promoted now that Voldy is back. In OotP he added guard duty for the Order to his schedule besides just work. Since there is no need for that job any more, he will have more time to spend at work. I am excited to see what happens to him and if he can find a way to reunite Percy with the family.

vball man - Apr 1, 2004 12:18 pm (#7 of 249)

Firebird, you're right! I love the mispronunciations of Muggle words. It's almost as if the Muggle world is beyond what they can understand, just as we don't understand the wizard world.

I like him better in the books, also, but even in the first two books, we didn't see much of him. I'm pretty sure that he's described as more skinny than the movie. I always pictured him more like the thin one in Laurel and Hardy.

I Am Used Vlad - Apr 1, 2004 12:36 pm (#8 of 249)

I think it is unlikely that Arthur will be chosen for Minister if Fudge steps down or is booted out over his yearlong denial of Voldemort's return. However, if Fudge keeps the job for a while, I think it is likely that Arthur will do something particularly heroic and end up with the job later on in or at the end of the series.

Tomoé - Apr 1, 2004 1:18 pm (#9 of 249)

I agree with you Nimrod, if Fudge keeps is job for another year, Arthur has chances. JKR said "as book six shows, the Muggles are noticing more and more odd happenings now that Voldemort's back", it is then possible the Ministry of Magic will need all his Muggle experts to maintain the secrecy. Arthur could show his skills, especially if a got a position of responsibility.

Or maybe he will be the only volunteer to take the lead of the operation, he's a Gryffindor after all.

timrew - Apr 1, 2004 2:03 pm (#10 of 249)

I think the question is, would Arthur want to be Minister Of Magic?

As minister, he would have to be available to discuss all aspects of magic, and his love of Muggles might have to be put on the 'back-burner'. I don't think Arthur would like that.

Also, with five of his seven kids now supporting themselves, surely the Weasleys can't be poor any more?

vball man - Apr 1, 2004 2:13 pm (#11 of 249)

Right on, Timrew. I don't see Arthur wanting that job. If he got it, I don't see him liking it!

Madame Librarian - Apr 1, 2004 4:38 pm (#12 of 249)

I've mentioned this before, probably on a mulched Arthur thread, that I think Arthur's slightly dim and foolish demeanor and mispronunciations, etc. are just an act. For someone who's studied Muggles so long, and who seems so passionate about his chosen field, his cluelessness is just an act. I think he's quite happy to have many of the upper echelons at the MoM think he's a joke or not think of him at all. At some critical point, the Arthur who knows quite a bit, who has liaisons with important Muggles, who has "safe" houses, and knowledge of how to navigate in the larger Muggle world will come to the fore in the dire struggle against Voldie.

BTW--not for this thread, but I think Hagrid's putting on a similar act, too.

Ciao. Barb

DJ Evans - Apr 1, 2004 4:45 pm (#13 of 249)

Madame Librarian, you are so right!!! What better disguise than to come across as a silly, foolish, ninny of a wizard!!! As the old saying goes "oh, just to be a fly on the wall...", well I can just see where Arthur probably gets to hear and sees so much in the MoM, just because of how he portrays himself. No dummy there, if you ask me!!

Sherbie Lemon - Apr 1, 2004 7:02 pm (#14 of 249)

I agree, Barb, that Arthur may put up a bit of an act around the Ministry. However, I think most of Arthur's behavior is just Arthur being Arthur. He needn't put up a show of the carefree, Muggle-loving ministry employee for his family, yet that is partly who he is.

In CoS, he marvels at the Granger's money and is just simply overjoyed to have Muggles around. "But you're Muggles! We must have a drink! What's that you've got there? Oh, you're changing Muggle money. Molly, look!"

In GoF when they're setting up the tents, Arthur "was more of a hindrance than a help, because he got thoroughly overexcited when it came to using the mallet." In that same chapter, he gets too excited with the matches and promptly drops them as soon as they light.

There are so many instances when Arthur blatantly shows his love for all things Muggle, that I don't believe it's an act. To me, he's a little like Dumbledore in his almost childlike excitement over simple things. One of my favorite scenes with the Headmaster is in PoA, when the number of students left at Hogwarts is so small that everyone sits at the same table:" Crackers!' said Dumbledore enthusiastically, offering the end of a large silver noisemaker to Snape, who took it reluctantly and tugged...the cracker flew apart to reveal a large, pointed witch's hat topped with a stuffed vulture...Snape's mouth thinned and he pushed the hat toward Dumbledore, who swapped it for his wizard's hat at once." As with Arthur, there are many instances when Dumbledore becomes overjoyed with the simplest things. But these are the reasons that I love both their characters so much. I do not for a moment think either are stupid or dim or simple-minded. I think that they find pleasure in life's small things, that they are able to escape the harshness of the world, and especially the difficulty and stress of their jobs, by enjoying the moments. Arthur can be cunning and shrewd, he can handle difficult situations well, yet it is his beautiful childlike innocence that makes him so loveable and appealing.

Madame Librarian - Apr 1, 2004 7:46 pm (#15 of 249)

Oh, I agree Sherbie, I don't think Arthur's sweet nature and proclivity for bad jokes is a total put-on, but I do think he cranks up the bumbling ninny persona whenever there are other wizards (especially MoM staffers) around. And, I think he's letting his family think he's a bit silly because he does know more and do more to help the Order, and the fewer people who know about it, the better. If the kids and Harry are a bit in the dark about his true activities and knowledge, they are less likely to let something slip or be at risk because they are close to him. He's keeping them safe, I think.

Ciao. Barb

vball man - Apr 1, 2004 8:38 pm (#16 of 249)

Well, I don't want to disagree with a librarian, so....I'm not so sure. And it is a good idea that you have, there. Let me ask you a couple questions. If Arthur is bumbling as a show for MoM folks, why does he only seem to bumble Muggle things? I would think that if he wanted the MoM people to realize his errors, he'd mess up things that they know about.

On the other side, are there examples of him getting Muggle things right when no MoM people are around?

BTW, sherbie, I love that cracker - vulture hat part! I've long suspected that Dumbledore actually made the thing produce a vulture hat. Just so he could needle Snape a bit.

Madame Librarian - Apr 1, 2004 8:57 pm (#17 of 249)

vball man, feel free to disagree anytime. Anyway, to respond to your good questions, first let me say that what I'm suggesting here is based on one of those gut feeling things, not hard and fast canon instances. OK, that's why I don't mind if everyone thinks I'm way off in la-la land on this. However, don't you think it odd that a man has spent his whole career (or most of it) studying Muggles would know the simplest things such as how to pronounce "telephone," or what the coins looked like? I'm mean, there are Muggle-born wizards around to ask, and I'm sure Arthur has become friendly with many of them, initially drawn to them in order to pursue his field of study. I think it's just too ridiculous to think he'd not know the basic things at this point.

I admit that JKR does like to exaggerate some of the clownish traits of some characters, but she knows not to overdo it. She wants us to be amused by Arthur, but I sense an undercurrent of seriousness and wisdom in his personality. Again, mostly based on feeling and an intuition about his role.

Ciao. Barb

vball man - Apr 1, 2004 9:26 pm (#18 of 249)

Weird that Arthur makes silly mistakes about Muggle things? Yes, I do think it's weird.

There are three good possible explanations:
1 - yours
2 - JKR is just being a bit silly.
3 - There's something about Muggle life that is beyond the understanding of wizards. Take Ron, for instance, when he learns from Harry that Muggle pictures hold still: "Do they? What, they don't move at all?" Ron sounded amazed. "weird!" Ron's too amazed. I seems that a still picture is just as amazing to Ron as a moving one is to Harry. He seems to be thinking, "How do they do that?"

Sherbie Lemon - Apr 1, 2004 9:27 pm (#19 of 249)

I've often thought that Arthur, being the Muggle authority that he is, does seem to know surprisingly little about simple Muggle devices too, Barb. I completely agree with you.

I had never really considered Arthur's silly nature to be a way to protect his family, but I think you may be right. Perhaps he also hams it up a bit for comic relief, as a way to offset Molly's sternness. She's also a bit *cough* overprotective, and Arthur tends to take the "turn the other cheek approach." Think of the Quidditch World Cup, when Fred and George's gamble all their savings; Arthur protests simply by saying (feebly) that Molly wouldn't approve. Also when the boys take the Ford, instead of scolding them, he excitedly asks how it flew.

Molly Weasly Wannabe - Apr 1, 2004 9:41 pm (#20 of 249)

I agree with Tomoé with Arthur having a lot of knowledge with Muggles and their world. Since Vold is getting more powerful, more things will not only be happening in the wizarding world...but the Muggle world also. I hope he is made Minister of Magic.

Prefect Marcus - Apr 2, 2004 9:45 am (#21 of 249)

No, I don't think it is an act. He is just too honest for that. What you see is what you get.

Nor do I think Arthur will become Minister of Magic. He doesn't want the job. As one of his sons said, "It would take all the joy out of life."

Molly Weasly Wannabe - Apr 2, 2004 1:50 pm (#22 of 249)

He may not "want" the job...but you gotta do what you gotta do. Say this is what happens: Arthur finds out that Malfoy Sr. is wanting to take the job of Minister of Magic. However, he hears many of his co-workers in the department telling him that they have talked to several people and they think he would be perfect for the job. So, he decides to go after the job just so that Malfoy Sr. won't get the position. He gets the job, but has Dumbledore helping him....kind of like his advisor.

Prefect Marcus - Apr 2, 2004 1:52 pm (#23 of 249)

As I've said before, in that case he would be little more than a puppet to Dumbledore.

Dumbledore doesn't want that. He doesn't want even the appearance of that. All he wants is a pair of warm socks!

Molly Weasly Wannabe - Apr 2, 2004 1:55 pm (#24 of 249)

He wouldn't be a "puppet" to Dumbledore.... It would be a friend helping another friend out. I'm sure if he did get Minister of Magic, then he would have the entire Order giving him advice on this and that.

Prefect Marcus - Apr 2, 2004 2:12 pm (#25 of 249)
Edited by Apr 2, 2004 2:12 pm

Molly, there are several candidates right now that are far better qualified than Arthur for the job. Why not go with them? They can get advice and counsel from Dumbledore just as easily as Arthur Weasley?

Molly Weasly Wannabe - Apr 2, 2004 2:15 pm (#26 of 249)

I think that there will be a lot of stuff happening not only in the WW but also in the Muggle world. Arthur is pretty much the only one (that I have read) that knows a lot about the Muggle world. If he gets Minister of Magic (or he may not) then I think this will be that extra qualification that he has, that the others don't.

Padfoot - Apr 2, 2004 2:27 pm (#27 of 249)

Or perhaps the new minister will consult with Arthur when he (or she) has questions regarding Muggles. So far we have assumed that any new minister would go straight to DD, that may not be the case. Arthur has worked in the ministry for many years, he has a lot of practical knowledge that would be useful to a new MoM.

vball man - Apr 2, 2004 4:01 pm (#28 of 249)

If Fudge steps (or is pushed) aside, there are more choices than Arthur, Dumbledore, or a Death Eater. Most of the wizards and witches on the Wizengamot would be more qualified than Arthur.

I can just see Arthur when Molly pushes him to run for MoM. "Me? Dear me! I do need time to sort my plugs! No - Molly - No."

mooncalf - Apr 4, 2004 12:46 am (#29 of 249)
Edited by Apr 4, 2004 12:49 am

I think that Arthur will become Minister of Magic and I think that he will do an excellent job. However reluctant he might be to take the job, he is wise enough to know that some things matter more than his personal convenience. He is a man with a lot of knowledge and integrity, and takes the present situation very seriously. His personal eccentricities aside, he is known and liked by many people in the Ministry - look at that scene before the World Cup in which every Ministry wizard who passes by seems to have time to stop and say 'hello' to Arthur. Fudge may not have a very high opinion of Arthur, but I don't think that his opinion is going to count for much any more.

S.E. Jones - Apr 5, 2004 4:13 am (#30 of 249)

A new Arthur thread...Yay!

Tim: Also, with five of his seven kids now supporting themselves, surely the Weasleys can't be poor any more?

I'm not too sure about this one. How far in debt do you think the Weasleys went putting seven kids through school before they started going off on their own and making their own money? Maybe they're still poor because they have to pay Gringotts Bank Loans back or something?

On the idea of Arthur playing dumb.... If I understand Madam Librarian's argument right, it's "how can Arthur know so much about Muggles and still seem to know so little about them unless he's putting on an act". Please correct me if I'm wrong, Mad. Lib. I think he thing we're missing here is this, yes, he knows a lot about Muggles compared to most wizards, but only in comparison. Most wizards apparently don't even bother to learn much of anything about Muggles, unless they're Muggle-born or marry a Muggle-born or something so Arthur is an exception in his knowledge but that doesn't mean he's actually an expert in that he knows everything about them. All he knows is more than the average wizard which is very little... see what I mean?

prof sprout - Apr 5, 2004 6:59 am (#31 of 249)

Also, Arthur goes out of his way to talk to Muggles. When he is not busy I bet he asks Hermione many things, so he is learning more all of the time. If you are not used to the words and don't hear them often (electricity, telephone, plumber) it would be hard to know how to spell them or pronounce them correctly (Especially because of the English language come on a silent "b" in plumber) Yes these wizards speak English, but how many English words that you are not familiar with do you mispronounce, Americans (Hermione, Sirius) when you first saw them. These are foreign words to the pureblood wizards. Look at the words that we mispronounce, and don't know how to spell in the wizarding world. I think she is using more to the effect how little the WW actually pays attention to the Muggles and their/our silly concepts. I think Arthur is trying very hard, and gets soo excited he also messes up things.

vball man - Apr 5, 2004 8:25 am (#32 of 249)
Edited Apr 5, 2004 9:27 am

I think that JKR uses exaggerated pronunciation errors to highlight ignorance. It’s not just Arthur. Vernon mispronounced "Dementors" in about 5 different ways after the attack in OoP.

I mean, try it out on a non-HP fan you know. Ask them what a Dementor is. Then ask them if they can repeat the word back. There's no reason for Vernon not to be able to say it right after hearing it once.

So I think some of Arthur's mistakes are just JKR's way of being cute.

timrew - Apr 5, 2004 10:36 am (#33 of 249)

Also, with five of his seven kids now supporting themselves, surely the Weasleys can't be poor any more?

My point in saying this, Sarah (and sorry for not making myself clearer!), was that not only are Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred and George supporting themselves; but surely they'd contribute to their parents coffers as well, rather than see them struggle by on a pittance.

Surely, no Weasley kid (maybe with Percy as an obvious exception) would do this!?

Sherbie Lemon - Apr 5, 2004 11:09 am (#34 of 249)

Do they have debt in the WW? Because it seems to me that the Weasley's always pay in cash, I've yet to hear mention of checking accounts, Gringotts loans (I highly doubt the stingy goblins would offer loans, unless the interest was like, 300% or something), or whatever the wizard equivalent of credit cards would be. In CoS, when the Weasley's and Harry go to Gringotts, he sees their vault, "there was a very small pile of silver Sickles inside, and just one gold Galleon. Mrs. Weasley felt right into the corners before sweeping the whole lot into her bag." Since they're stuck in the Victorian age, I do not think wizards are able to acquire the kind of debt we Muggles can. I also don't think that Hogwarts requires tuition (Harry's never paid), so I think that the expenses of school come from supplies and books.

I think you're right, Tim. I don't see how the Weasley's could continue to be as poverty stricken with most of their children out of the house. And I would certainly think, with business booming for the Weasley twins, they'd happily give ol' mum and dad a helping hand now and then.

Prefect Marcus - Apr 5, 2004 11:54 am (#35 of 249)

Sherbie,

Why are the goblins mad at Ludo Bagman?

Sherbie Lemon - Apr 5, 2004 12:10 pm (#36 of 249)

I think gambling is a little different. I see the goblins more as loan sharks than your friendly rep at the bank. I think the Weasley's have a bit more sense than to borrow money from them.

prof sprout - Apr 5, 2004 12:32 pm (#37 of 249)
Edited by Apr 5, 2004 1:34 pm

Well, technically it wasn't a Loan Bagman had with him. He paid people back with Leprechaun gold so it was more like stealing or fraud. I don't think there are bank loans in the WW, just the loan shark type deals.

Catherine - Apr 5, 2004 12:32 pm (#38 of 249)

PM, The goblins are mad because he has huge gambling debts that he couldn't pay, and he ran away at the end of GoF without paying them.

Madame Librarian - Apr 6, 2004 3:57 am (#39 of 249)

Well, I think we're at an impasse about how savvy Arthur really is about Muggles. An agree-to-disagree situation. I allow that he does come across as dense, and that may be JKR wanting to make us chuckle--he's to remind us a bit of Dagwood Bumstead (the bumbling but endearing dad/husband). However, I still hold that it's all a ploy to keep us off guard. There are little flashes of Arthur's seriousness and intelligence--in PoA when he warns Harry about Sirius, and those instances where he argues cogently and passionately with Molly about telling Harry more about what's going on. And, I don't buy the mispronouncing thing--he's been working in his position for years, had many chances to talk with Muggle-borns and half-bloods who have kept in touch with Muggle relatives. In other conversations he is not portrayed as a malaprop (one who mispronounces things all the time, not just unfamiliar words). So, let's just chalk this one up to a "wait and see" situation.

Ciao. Barb

Prefect Marcus - Apr 6, 2004 9:56 am (#40 of 249)

Well actually, GoF says that Ludo borrowed tons of gold from the Goblins. In order to pay them off, he made a huge bet with Goblins that Harry would win the tournament, sort of a double-or-nothing thing.

S.E. Jones - Apr 6, 2004 1:47 pm (#41 of 249)

So you can borrow money? Hm.....

Catherine - Apr 6, 2004 4:01 pm (#42 of 249)

Like I said, PM, he couldn't pay his debts. I thought I was being succinct, without sacrificing accuracy. Not nice to make it look like I answered incorrectly!

Correcting an answer when YOU asked the question is a bit much, even for me Wink

Prefect Marcus - Apr 6, 2004 4:20 pm (#43 of 249)

Catherine,

My post was to set forth the premise that he already owed vast sums of money to the Goblins for whatever reason, and he tried as a last resort to cancel those debts with a large bet on the tournament.

The reason for the precision in my answer goes back to the original post#34 by Sherbie Lemon wondering if there was debt in the WW. Some of the answers seem to imply that only gambling debts are present in the WW. I was trying to address that issue. Was I wrong to do so?

Marcus

vball man - Apr 7, 2004 12:55 pm (#44 of 249)

OK, I'm changing "sides." I agree with Mdm Librarian. Look at the part of OoP where Vernon first hears the word "Dementor." I had remembered that Vernon mispronounces "Dementors." I felt that this meant that JKR just likes to make characters unable to pronounce words from the "other" world. HOWEVER, Vernon correctly pronounces "Dementors" first. Then Harry tells him what they are. After that Vernon finds three different ways to mispronounce it. So, in fact, Vernon can pronounce it. He is just unwilling to once he learns that it is a wizard term.

Applying this to Arthur, I think that Arthur is faking his mispronunciations. Rather the way I carry my wife's purse, if I have to. I think Vernon and Arthur are using these terms because they have to, not because they want to. In Arthur's case, he may be just making intentional mistakes in order to "save face." His little way of saying, "I'm not totally into Muggles. I'm not nuts!"

Is Arthur's whole fascination with Muggles a means to "sandbag" himself in the eyes of other MoM wizards? Maybe.

Kip Carter - May 6, 2004 8:12 am (#45 of 249)

I would appreciate this thread getting back on topic. The discussion is about Arthur Weasley. The general theme to the last few post concern "borrowing money" which Arthur may need to do; however let please return to discussing Arthur.

Catherine - May 6, 2004 8:27 am (#46 of 249)

I wonder if we will ever "see" Arthur getting really angry. I know there was the fistfight with Lucius in the bookstore in CoS, but the twins point out that usually Molly is the "yeller" in the family. He was angry with the twins in GoF for playing a joke on Dudley, but deflated quickly when Molly took over.

Arthur was reported to be very angry with Percy, but we never saw it. In that sense, he reminds me of Dumbledore. Harry has only glimpsed Dumbledore angry in GoF when Dumbledore rescued Harry from Crouch/Moody. Hermione has alluded to several instances when Dumbledore was angry, but Harry has never seen it (like the Dementor attack in the rain in PoA and when Mundungus leaves guard duty early).

I think that there's more to Arthur's character than the well-meaning, bumbling Dad/husband, like everyone has said. I keep wondering if Rowling is going to give him more to do?

Sarah Shrub - May 6, 2004 8:30 am (#47 of 249)

Can we assume anything about Arthur's childhood? That he too lived in a big but poor family? Or should we reject that because we heard it from the Malfoys, who can't be trusted?

The giant squid - May 6, 2004 11:47 am (#48 of 249)

There's probably a grain of truth in Malfoy's taunt. Arthur seems...well, not relaxed but resigned to his lot--huge family, low pay, etc. It may not be that unusual in his family.

--Mike

S.E. Jones - May 6, 2004 2:02 pm (#49 of 249)

I had once suggested that that may explain what happened to Weasley's money (assuming that, as an old pureblooded wizarding family, they ever had any). If there were several generations of large families, an estate may have been divided up and so, if, say Arthur were a younger brother, he'd only get a small share since inheritances are usually divided up based on birth rank (i.e. first born gets estate and largest portion of fortune, second born gets second largest portion and other land holdings, etc., though estates are sometimes split up too).

Did anyone else find Arthur's response to Lucius a little, er, severe in the bookstore in CoS? Any ideas on just why he hates the guy so much?

Hagsquid - May 6, 2004 2:04 pm (#50 of 249)

I think it was Lucius making a snide comment about Hermione’s parents. Arthur seems very protective of the Muggles.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Arthur Weasley Empty Arthur Weasley (posts #51 to #100)

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Madame Librarian - May 6, 2004 3:58 pm (#51 of 249)

It's possible their animosity toward each other goes back to their school years. I figure them to be around the same age, give or take.

Ciao. Barb

Devika - May 7, 2004 9:56 am (#52 of 249)

I'll go back to the discussion about Arthur and the MoM. I get a feeling that Arthur will be closely linked to whatever it is that will finally oust Fudge. This ideally should bring him in the limelight. I find it unrealistic that he'll be made MoM ahead of more qualified people like Madam Bones (no canon evidence for this), though I'd love it for his sake. Plus, I'm not sure if he'll be happy at such a post. I think that Madam Bones will be MoM unless she does something to disgrace her position and Arthur will take on some really senior post like Magical Cooperation or something like that. In the event that he does become a Minister, I don't see him as a puppet of DD's. In fact I can see him as someone who will herald a change in the work culture of the ministry... someone who'll change attitudes.

And about his love for Muggles... I have absolutely no idea how but I'm sure that'll have a major part in the story.

Maollelujah - May 9, 2004 3:57 pm (#53 of 249)

I had once suggested that that may explain what happened to Weasley's money (assuming that, as an old pureblooded wizarding family, they ever had any). If there were several generations of large families, an estate may have been divided up and so, if, say Arthur were a younger brother, he'd only get a small share since inheritances are usually divided up based on birth rank (i.e. first born gets estate and largest portion of fortune, second born gets second largest portion and other land holdings, etc., though estates are sometimes split up too).

In Great Britain estates are normally never broken up. The first-born got the estate, the second born usually went into the church (as most estates had parsimony's that the lord could fill) and the rest would inherit only a small sum of money and would be forced to find their fortune elsewhere (Army, Navy or even finding a rich girl to marry).

S.E. Jones - May 9, 2004 9:35 pm (#54 of 249)

Interesting Devika... Maybe Bones will be made Minister and Arthur will be appointed to her current position of Head of Magical Law Enforcement. Since he's under this department already and has been working at the MoM for years he may have some sort of seniority or something to explain his promotion....

Catherine - May 10, 2004 6:20 am (#55 of 249)

I have wondered if Arthur will be "promoted" in the Ministry because his department will be considered more important. Right now he and Perkins share a tiny office with no window. But it might become necessary, now that Voldemort is back, and in the open, to have a strong liaison with Muggles. Arthur is the perfect candidate for Muggle diplomatic relations. Might be a nice change from fixing regurgitating toilets!

Chris. - May 10, 2004 6:38 am (#56 of 249)

J.K. Rowling says there will be a new Minister For Magic, this could be the promotion he was waiting for all his career.

Or if Madame Bones gets the top job, Arthur will be Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

mike miller - May 10, 2004 6:41 am (#57 of 249)

I seem to recall JKR saying something in her recent "chat" that Muggles will start to notice more with Voldemort now fully engaged. Arthur's current position would make him a perfect candidate for Muggle diplomacy.

Devika - May 10, 2004 7:50 am (#58 of 249)

That's an interesting idea Catherine. I guess it would be as Mike says, a need for negotiations and diplomacy with Muggles; a need to understand them better maybe, which could bring him and his department into the limelight.

S.E. Jones - May 10, 2004 3:38 pm (#59 of 249)
Edited May 10, 2004 4:39 pm

Catherine Allen: Right now he and Perkins share a tiny office with no window. But it might become necessary, now that Voldemort is back, and in the open, to have a strong liaison with Muggles.

I kind of got the feeling that his current office was a recent thing. Didn't someone, Arthur or Tonks, make a comment about Fudge firing people who had ties to Dumbledore? I figured Fudge couldn't make any direct connections between Arthur and Albus, so instead he just kept moving him to a smaller and smaller office in an increasingly obscure location, hence his office now being smaller than the broom closet across the hall and not having any windows. Hmm, do you think Fudge perceives Arthur as any sort of a threat to his position, aside from his possible connections to Dumbledore? He seems to have strong ties to people within the Ministry....

Catherine - May 10, 2004 4:47 pm (#60 of 249)

You could be right, S. E. Jones, but we do know from Molly that Arthur's advancement in the Ministry has been hampered, by Fudge, for his "fondness for Muggles."

I think the exile to the heinous office, to Fudge's credit (darn it, I don't WANT to give him any credit) happened as part of the Wizarding disdain for Muggles. I think anyone who liaises in that office (remember Malfoy's scorn in CoS) is doomed to professional perdition. Maybe Arthur has always chosen to do what is ethically "right" versus what is easy.

I think it's more a statement about how the job is perceived (low--remember Hermione in OoP saying you don't need high grades to work with Muggles) versus Fudge trying to make a "statement." We already know that Percy complained that he had to work against Arthur's reputation at work, and the way he said it implied that it was that way from when Percy first started work--before Dumbledore and Arthur made waves at the Ministry, at the end of PoA and beginning of GoF.

In the end, I think Arthur has always been overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated. Naturally, I would love for this to change for the better!

haymoni - May 10, 2004 6:37 pm (#61 of 249)

C.A., I think you hit it - Arthur has "chosen". If "choices" are a theme, Arthur certainly has chosen the road less traveled. Question is, will he be all the better for it?

I think he will. Maybe not in Book 6 but by Book 7.

Padfoot - May 11, 2004 10:15 am (#62 of 249)

It's going to be hard for Arthur to rise up to a higher position with the choices he has made. He has lots of friends at the Ministry, yet he is crammed in that little office. If he does decide to put his fondness for Muggles aside and really advance his career, he will have to overcome many obstacles. I really hope he can.

Oh, Fudge might know that DD and Arthur are friends. That could be another reason Fudge hasn't promoted him.

S.E. Jones - May 11, 2004 11:33 am (#63 of 249)
Edited May 11, 2004 12:35 pm

Still, if promotions are based on any sort of seniority, Arthur may stand a chance. He's been working at the Ministry for, what, twenty some years? It seems he been passed over for promotions so he's technically come up for them in the past and if Fudge can't keep him from being promoted yet again (because he's been removed from office, maybe?) then we might yet see Arthur, Muggle-friendly still, in a higher position.

Here's what Molly said about Fudge in relation to Arthur's career: "We know what Fudge is. It's Arthur's fondness for Muggles that has held him back at the Ministry all these years. Fudge thinks he lacks proper wizarding pride." (GoF, ch36, pg711, US) I think it means Fudge has passed him over for promotions because of the Muggle fondness....

haymoni - May 11, 2004 11:43 am (#64 of 249)

But I think the earlier posts about Arthur's Muggle knowledge were correct - if Muggles are starting to notice odd happenings, the Ministry will have to do more to work with them. Arthur could be some sort of liaison between the Minister of Magic and the Prime Minister.

Tomoé - May 11, 2004 12:34 pm (#65 of 249)

Especially since you only need an OWL (A, E or O) in Muggle studies to work in Muggle Relations and much more important is your enthusiasm, patience and a good sense of fun!, don't sound like people trained to act in time of crisis. I do think some of them will be ok, but not all of them and they will need extra support for their foremen and all.

The whole Muggle related offices, committees, bureaus and headquarters will have to work together, maybe the post will be given to Arthur, because of his seniority and his knowledge of Muggles (hoping he does fake he know less that he really know).

Iverson Godfrey - May 12, 2004 3:23 pm (#66 of 249)
Edited May 12, 2004 4:25 pm

It seems that the Muggle relations occupation was somewhat discarded as a serious career choice in OP. This makes me think it will actually be important, if not a key, for things to come. Arthur is definitely very good at what he does, and he takes his job very seriously- even though others seem to view it as some sort of a joke. I think it will be interesting to see what becomes of Mr. Weasley during year six. (Of course I thought it was going to be interesting to see what became of Wormtail during year five, so there you go.)

Steve Newton - May 27, 2004 12:39 pm (#67 of 249)

A couple of people have mentioned that we have never seen Arthur angry. Not true. In Diagon Alley Arthur gets very angry at Lucius Malfoy and even attacks him. (This is much toned down in the movie.) If we assume that Lucius is powerful and Arthur shows no hesitancy attacking him than we can conclude that Arthur is not someone you want angry at you. He is powerful. I also wonder if they have an old grudge. Did they go to school together? Did they meet as old members of the OOTP and the DE? I don't know.

At first I thought that his eccentricities would go largely unnoticed in the WW. But the heads of departments and the Minister of Magic all seem pretty conventional, in a Muggle sort of way. I'm unsure now.

Someone brilliantly pointed out that he has made the right, not the easy choices. Since this seems to be a theme of the books it puts me in the Arthur Weasley for Minister of Magic camp! This is an election year, at least in the USA.

Tomoé - May 27, 2004 12:59 pm (#68 of 249)

In Canada too. ^_^

mooncalf - Jun 3, 2004 11:34 pm (#69 of 249)
Edited by Jun 4, 2004 12:34 am

Arthur also gets angry at Fred and George after they give Dudley a ton-tongue toffee.

I am also firmly in the Arthur Weasley for Minister of Magic camp. We need campaign buttons!

Pigwidgeon - Jun 12, 2004 2:50 pm (#70 of 249)

Quick, goofy question: Does Arthur Weasley have a middle name? I know one was given for a lot of other characters. I couldn't find it on the Lexicon or the latest transcript, where I know a lot of middle names were given.

[Dumbledore]Dumbledore - Jun 13, 2004 3:00 pm (#71 of 249)

I don't think one was given...and I am pretty up-to-date with the Lexicon information and chat transcript information

Ellen Stockley - Jul 4, 2004 2:42 pm (#72 of 249)

Has anyone thought about why the Weasleys weren't in OoTP the first time around? (Lupin says this to Molly, not sure of the page ref)

Especially because they are so involved now. Maybe Mrs Weasley was busy with lots of children, but could Arthur have been one of those people under the Imperius curse who 'came out of a trance' when Vold got knocked from power.

After all, in GOF when Ron tells DADA class about Imperius curse Moody/Crouch says 'Your father would know about that one' Maybe not just because the Ministry was busy with it, maybe from personal experience?? And he does seem VERY shaken about Ginny's possession by Vold (more than Mrs Weasley did!)

This could be completely off the track of course, but could make sense?!

[Ff3girl]Ff3girl - Jul 4, 2004 11:52 pm (#73 of 249)

I don't know if it’s especially important that the Weasleys weren't on the Order in the first Voldy War. The Order was very small the first time around, so maybe the Weasleys had just never heard of it since it’s supposed to be a secret organization.. ... At least, I'm assuming it is.

Tomoé - Jul 5, 2004 9:17 am (#74 of 249)

'Your father would know about that one'

Very Interesting thought Ellen, especially since the 'would' is in italic, in the UK version at least. Is it in italic in the US too?

[Dumbledore]Dumbledore - Jul 5, 2004 9:19 am (#75 of 249)

Tomoé, in my American version the word "would" is italicized.

Ellen Stockley - Jul 5, 2004 9:26 am (#76 of 249)

I've been thinking about this a bit more, and reading the bit in Dumbledore's office at the end of COS again. It really seems possible! Also, further to what Moody/Crouch says to him - maybe it was him who performed the curse on him? Or, even better, maybe it was Lucius Malfoy - further explaining their hatred of each other??

Whether this is at all true or not, I do think it is significant he wasn't in the Order though.

Any other thoughts of why this might have been - I'm not convinced by them simply not knowing about it. He is so against Vold. now, he would have been one of the first to try to recruit to the Order if he was like that last time wouldn't he?

S.E. Jones - Jul 5, 2004 4:13 pm (#77 of 249)

He is so against Voldemort now, but was he then? Maybe he was just scared of him then? Or didn't know what to think of him until it was too late, like so many others? We know there were two Prewett brothers who were killed by DEs and Molly's last name was Prewett before she married Arthur, so maybe losing family during the first war (remember Arthur's comment about finding the Dark Mark over your house?) was what turned Arthur so against Voldemort this time around, so much so that he's willing to put his life and family in danger.

Also, this time around, his kids are all older and school-age or older; while the first time, Ron and Ginny would've been just being born, Fred and George infants, Percy a toddler, and Charlie and Bill just little kids. He knows his kids are safer at Hogwarts or are older and can take care of themselves now, while before he had to be concerned completely with taking care of them and so may have not been willing to risk joining the Order (though he may have known of its existence) for fear of something happening to himself or Molly and there not being anyone to care for them, or for fear of a DE following him home....

Tomoé - Jul 5, 2004 6:52 pm (#78 of 249)
Edited Jul 5, 2004 7:58 pm

Thanks Dumbledore, so more emphasis still on the "would". One of the who lost his parent to the killing curse (Harry), one who lost them to Cruciatus curse (Neville) and maybe one who will lose them to Imperius curse ...

Ron's reaction in Moody's Unforgivable class would show that he either didn't know or that his father wasn't Imperiused though. Ron was laughing with the others watching the spider doing gymnastics.
Edit : I like Sarah's idea, that the death of Molly's relative have bring the Weasley to take a active part in VW2, even Bill and Charlie could remember their lost relatives one removed.

mooncalf - Jul 5, 2004 10:34 pm (#79 of 249)
Edited by Jul 5, 2004 11:35 pm

To paraphrase Sirius: the world isn't divided into bad people and the order members. It seems likely to me that Arthur was not involved the first time around because he didn't know about it. I really don't see any sinister connotations to that; there were a lot of innocent bystanders.

S.E. Jones - Jul 6, 2004 1:00 am (#80 of 249)

I'm still more inclined to believe my second thought above, that he did know but that he couldn't afford to risk it because he had so many little kids at home. He would've had two brother-in-laws (or cousin-in-laws, whatever...) in the Order, so he may have known about it. However, he would've had, at the height of Voldemort's reign, five to six little ones at home, all under school age, with a child most likely on the way (whether Ron or Ginny). If he got killed or a DE followed him home, he'd've lost a great deal. Now, however, he can afford to fight because his kids are all older and either in school or able to defend themselves. It must be a great relief to him to know that his kids are so bright and well trained....

Ellen Stockley - Jul 6, 2004 3:46 am (#81 of 249)

Maybe the attack on Molly relatives did suddenly change him, but I'm not convinced!

Also, I don't see him as actively taking part in raising the kids much at this time, since Molly herself says he was very busy at the ministry (in GOF, after attack at World cup)

Consider other members of the order with young children - Potters and Longbottoms that we know of, maybe more. Wouldn't he be wanting to more actively defend his family? After all, some causes are more important (like defeating a dark wizard for example) He's not a cowardly person from what we know, so he'd be wanting to be doing something like the others. (unless he wasn't himself of course...)

[Kate, Twinkly]Twinkly Kate - Jul 6, 2004 5:09 am (#82 of 249)

I think that's a really interesting point Ellen!

I don't doubt that Arthur Weasley is anything but totally honorable, and it would be quite cowardly of him not to be involved in the Order simply because of the children; in actual fact, he seems to me the sort of character to be more actively involved in trying to protect them from anything.

And let's not forget where this little section started. He is VERY startled about Ginny in CoS, and that quote by Moody/Crouch - I think there is certainly something in it.

If he was under the Imperius curse the first time around, that's not to say he was under it the whole time, perhaps it's just going to explain part of a story....And from the reactions of Ron in GoF and Molly in CoS, I would say they definitely don't know - is he the sort of man to tell them if they didn't need to know however? I don't think so.

Any thoughts?

mike miller - Jul 6, 2004 7:23 am (#83 of 249)

I tend to side with Sarah regarding Arthur and Molly's potential involvement with the Order during the VWI. A house full of children and possible one on the way would make someone shy away from a "front line" role. That's not to say that Arthur may have passed information along to the Order through Fabian and Gideon.

As far as the Potters and the Longbottoms, it is very possible that Harry and Neville came along "by accident" (*coughs*prophesy* coughs*) after they began to actively oppose Voldemort.

S.E. Jones - Jul 6, 2004 11:05 pm (#84 of 249)

Yes, it seems that Harry and Neville came along after their parents were already involved with the Order. That's very different from getting involved with the Order when you have five or so little ones already running around at home. The Longbottoms and Potters didn't know their children were coming, while the Weasleys already had to consider theirs. And, I don't think whether he was involved with raising them at home or not has anything to do with it. He is the family's sole provider. If something happens to him or if he gives a DE a reason to visit his house, his family would pay dearly and we may not have been willing to openly risk his family in that way. I'm sure he would've wanted to be involved, but I think he would've put family first. Consider that fact that it is a comment about his family from Lucius that causes the easy going Arthur to resort to physical violence. He doesn't like his family being threatened. That's why I think he was so shaken by Ginny's encounter with Riddle. Her encounter may have been one reason, in fact, along with the loss of family the first time around, that he got involved so directly this time....

[Kate, Twinkly]Twinkly Kate - Jul 7, 2004 4:14 am (#85 of 249)

I agree with you there, Arthur is certainly a family man and his primary concern would be with his family, but let's consider Ellen's first point and ask whether there is a possibility that Arthur was under the Imperius curse at any point when he was younger.

Moody/Crouch's quote could suggest he was, as could his behaviour when he finds out that Ginny had been possessed in CoS.

And, after all, he wouldn't have had to be in the Order of the Phoenix first time round for this to happen!

Everyone may be right here - Arthur wasn't in the OoP first time round because he was too concerned with his family, but he was involved in the wider picture (under the Imperius curse by a death eater for a reason still to emerge), another reason why he so fiercely opposes dark magic now.

What do you think?

Ellen Stockley - Jul 7, 2004 4:39 am (#86 of 249)

I think Twinkly Kate is right- Both points would make sense, so why can't they both be true? I hope JKR is going to tell us at some point why they weren't in the Order, otherwise I'll be left wondering for ever....

Another Arthur related observation I've had - Re-reading the most recent JKR interview, someone asked where Sirius's flying motorbike is, and I think Arthur may have it. After all, when Hagrid couldn't give it back to Sirius, wouldn't it have gone to the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Department, since it was illegal?? Maybe he's been using it to work out how to make the car fly?

Sorry if this has been discussed before on a different thread, but I couldn't find it anywhere!

S.E. Jones - Jul 7, 2004 12:11 pm (#87 of 249)

I don't think it was illegal then. Arthur wrote the law that made enchanting things like cars and motorbikes illegal and he probably wouldn't have been highly placed enough, as yet, at the time Sirius went to Azkaban to write a law on his own so that must've come later when he'd moved up in rank.....

Dr Filibuster - Jul 10, 2004 5:37 am (#88 of 249)
Edited Jul 10, 2004 6:52 am

Actually, I really like Ellen's theory.

Hagrid is stuck with the traitor Black's bike. There is no way he is going to keep it. He doesn't destroy it, he hands it over to the Ministry (possibly under the advise of Dumbledore or McGonagall).

Arthur is already acquainted with Hagrid in the novels. Now this could be due to his older kids, especially Charlie being friendly with Rubeus at school. But maybe Arthur was the Ministry employee who got lumbered with the motorbike?

The MoM would have no real use for the thing so Mr. Weasley never handed it in. Perhaps he was going to but then Sirius was caught? He should have disposed of it but his curiosity got the better of him. He never told anyone he had it until OoP. That's when the Order devised Kingsley's "plan" to track it down.

Will Harry go to the Burrow this summer and have a rummage around Arthur's shed?

mom molly - Jul 10, 2004 8:13 pm (#89 of 249)

It has been well over a year since my last post but I just had to give my opinion, I believe Arthur Weasley will be the next minister of magic. Ron is usually wrong unless he is joking, and in OOP chapter 29 he jokingly says they have as much chance of winning the Quidditch cup as dad has got of becoming the minister of magic. Besides I think Arthur would be a wonderful minister. Wasn’t it King Arthur who brought about Camelot? No one thought he would be a good king either.

[Glue, Sticky]Sticky Glue - Jul 13, 2004 1:47 am (#90 of 249)
Edited Jul 13, 2004 2:48 am

Hi Mom Molly, I agree, I also think that Arthur Weasley will be the next minister of magic, either towards the end of book 6 or the beginning of book 7. "It is only Arthur's love of Muggles that has held him back"

drippan - Jul 14, 2004 4:52 pm (#91 of 249)

I also think Arthur Weasley would make a good MoM.

He already has everything that makes him happy: a great family. He doesn't care about money or advancement. He cares about his family.

I think he also cares about the wizarding world. He rushes to help out in GoF, then he Apparates right to the scene of the Death Mark. He was ready to battle and die at that site.

He is also quite fair. I guess he had to with a house load of kids.

A lot of other wizards/witches at the Ministry seem to regard him in high esteem even though he is in a lowly office.

Also, Molly would support him in whatever he does. Most wives, IMO, would push their husbands to advance where I think Molly is happy seeing her husband happy in the job he does.

I can see a lot of changes if Arthur became MoM especially for magical creatures rights and Muggle rights. Does anyone know if he supports Hermione's S.P.E.W. program? I know Hagrid is against and so was Sirius.

DripPan

Kwikspell - Jul 19, 2004 8:01 am (#92 of 249)

Something is driving me absolutely bonkers. Somewhere either in COS or in OoP, someone refers to a bizarre thing happening with the line, "yeah, and Arthur Weasley will be the next Minister of Magic" or something like it. Can anyone remember where this was said or who said it? I remember reading it (COS and OOP were the last books I read) and thinking, "Aha!" but I didn't mark it.

Hoping some other Arthur Weasley lovers will be able to help me out. I would REALLY love it if he were the next MoM and I thought this was JKR doing a little foreshadowing...

S.E. Jones - Jul 19, 2004 9:13 am (#93 of 249)

It's in OotP and a quote by Ron, something like "We have about as much chance of winning the Quidditch Cup as my dad does of being made Minister of Magic," and, of coarse, they won the Quidditch Cup. Can't point to an exact reference at the moment. Any one else have it?

Kwikspell - Jul 19, 2004 1:09 pm (#94 of 249)

Sarah,

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! That has been plaguing me for the past week. In a nutshell, that's why I think Arthur will be the next MoM.

Also amusing, though off-topic for this thread, was the similar insistence by Umbridge that Harry Potter had about as much chance becoming an Auror as DD had of returning to Hogwarts. Another prediction of things to come?

Luke E.A. Lockhart - Jul 19, 2004 1:48 pm (#95 of 249)

For once, I have to agree - I think both statements mentioned above will come true.

zelmia - Jul 19, 2004 11:38 pm (#96 of 249)
Edited Jul 20, 2004 12:39 am

I think Arthur was in the Order the first time. He might not have been as prominent, and we know that Molly wasn't from Lupin's remark "You weren't in the Order then." This is addressed specifically to her.

But at the end of GF, Dumbledore immediately sends for Arthur when he begins rounding up the "old crowd". At which point Bill eager volunteers to "go to Dad."

Lots of folks have young children at home when there is a war but (primarily) men still rush off to "join up".

drippan - Jul 20, 2004 3:31 am (#97 of 249)
Edited Jul 20, 2004 4:35 am

I agree with you Zelmia.

I can see Arthur as a listening post inside the MoM, passing information to the Order. MoM wouldn't be forth coming, even to the OotP, with information about LV/DE's whereabouts or activities.

Molly would support Arthur but also had responsibilities of bringing up Bill, Charlie and Percy. I didn't mention Ron because I calculate that Arthur joined the Order between Percy's birth and Ron's birth.

I can't see Arthur as getting a lot of information at the time because he probably had a lower position than what he has now. But with other "spies" within the MoM, the OotP can get a pretty clear picture of what is going on.

I do have one question for this thread. If Arthur becomes MoM, how will this affect him as being part of the OotP? This would be like serving 2 masters....the wizards/witches he is swearing to protect and serving the Order. I can't see how he can do this and feel good about himself.

DripPan

ShelterGirl - Jul 20, 2004 4:09 am (#98 of 249)

DripPan-

Molly would support Arthur but also had responsibilities of bringing up Bill, Charlie and Percy. I didn't mention Ron because I calculate that Arthur joined the Order between Percy's birth and Ron's birth.

What are Fred and George? Next-door neighbors??

Smile

ShelterGirl

drippan - Jul 20, 2004 4:25 am (#99 of 249)

What are Fred and George? Next-door neighbors??

I'm sure Molly wished they were next door neighbors at times.....Smile

Okay, my mistake. I have three kids of my own (all grown up though) and I forget half the time who they are. I just look at them when they are busting on me about it and tell them they know which one I'm talking to!!

DripPan

[Burke, Kieran]Kieran Burke - Jul 20, 2004 8:34 am (#100 of 249)

I'm sorry but I just don't see Arthur becoming Minister. It would be to perfect, you might as well say 'oh and Voldemort is going to die and no else will get hurt and everyone will pair off and the last book will end with a rainbow and a sunset. JKR is better than that, she isn't scared to write realistically, and realistically Arthur would not be made minister for magic.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Arthur Weasley Empty Arthur Weasley (posts #101 to #150)

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Twinkly Kate - Jul 21, 2004 3:34 am (#101 of 249)

I'm afraid I agree with Kieran.

I just don't think that Arthur Weasley is in a position to take this on.

And I disagree about his participation in the Order the first time round. Even if he was more peripheral than the other members, exactly what was he doing? What was his role in the group? I'd be interested if anyone has any further thoughts on an older thread about him possibly being under the Imperius curse. Moody's quote to Ron in GoF keeps grating with me,

you would (italics) know about that

Steve Newton - Jul 21, 2004 5:43 am (#102 of 249)

I don't think that he is a shoo-in but I do think that he will become the new Minister of Magic.

Why? The first is Ron's joke about winning the Quidditch cup and his father becoming the MOM.

But recall that Arthur is a longtime employee of the Ministry. He is head of a department. OK a very small department. In the wizarding world this would seem to be similar to a cabinet post in the US. Sort of like the Postmaster General. Cabinet but low cabinet.

Arthur has a reputation in the MOM as a supporter of Dumbledore. In the new power scheme this will be a big plus. Fudge will lose much influence even if he keeps his job for a while. Being a noted friend of the new power has to be a big help.

His problem would be that it would look as if he were Dumbledore's pawn and not a Minister for the entire wizarding world.

Round Pink Spider - Jul 21, 2004 6:49 am (#103 of 249)

Steve, I agree with you that Arthur will become Minister of Magic at some point, but I wouldn't look for Arthur to be the NEXT Minister of Magic. I think someone else will come next (probably someone we won't like in the long run). I don't think Arthur will get that position until the war is over.

If you read through GoF looking for it, you'll see that everyone in the MoM knows Arthur Weasley, and he can pull strings with the best of them. He may work in a small department, but he's obviously important to the smooth workings of the MoM. There's no question that he has the respect and connections to do the job. But I think the powerful people who make that decision (whoever they are) are going to pass him over until he's a war hero.

zelmia - Jul 21, 2004 11:55 am (#104 of 249)

Could someone please cite the entire "You would know about that" reference? I have no idea where to look for it other than OP. I don't know to what it refers or why it relates to Arthur. Thanks!

drippan - Jul 21, 2004 12:58 pm (#105 of 249)

Zelmia, "Could someone please cite the entire "You would know about that" reference?"

In GoF, Moody was teaching the class the unforgiveable curses. Moody asked if any one knew of one. Ron replied "My father told me one.....the imperious curse."

Moody response, "Yes, your dad would know about that one." The word "know" is in italic, I believe.

There is a big difference between Ron stating that his dad told him about one and Arthur actually knowing that one in particular.

It's in the chapter "Mad Eye Moody" in GoF.

DripPan

zelmia - Jul 21, 2004 1:26 pm (#106 of 249)

Ah! So I've been looking in the wrong book. Thanks....

Well, my copy has "Your father would know about that one. Gave the Ministry a lot of trouble at one time, the Imperius Curse." (GF Ch. 14) Still, what does this mean again with regard to Arthur Weasley? He is a Ministry Official, after all. Moody goes on to say later, "Some job for the Ministry, trying to sort out who was being forced to act, and who was acting of their own free will."

Maybe I'm just really thick, but I don't see the significance of this especially.

drippan - Jul 21, 2004 1:34 pm (#107 of 249)

The wording seems to appear that maybe Arthur was under the imperious curse.

Your father would know about that one signifies that he might have first hand experience (under the curse, that is).

I'm sure that Ministry officials were not exempt from being under the Imperius curse.

As a matter of fact, in OotP, the wizard in the psych ward was a DoM official who was under the imperious curse!! Can't remember his name though.......

DripPan

zelmia - Jul 21, 2004 1:36 pm (#108 of 249)

Thanks, DripPan. Now that I put it all together, I guess my answer is, " I just don't think so..."

drippan - Jul 21, 2004 1:39 pm (#109 of 249)

Figure I let you know what all the "thing" is about....

I don't think he was under the curse either but don't tell anyone in here.....we'll never hear the end of it!!

DripPan

S.E. Jones - Jul 21, 2004 1:56 pm (#110 of 249)
Edited Jul 21, 2004 2:57 pm

Arthur, or perhaps Molly, had also made a comment in, I think, GoF (after the Dark Mark appeared?) that he hadn't had to go in on weekends since the days of the first war. I'd say that he would know that one because he worked in some way trying to weed out which ones were under Imperius and which ones were not. The question for me, then, is why he later, after the war was over, chose a position that would advance him less in the Muggle Artifacts office. The answer to that, of course, is given to us by Ron (Dad could've got a promotion anytime... he just likes it where he is....). Arthur prefers working with Muggle things, but that doesn't mean he didn't, at one time, have some other position within the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, which his office is still under....

Just my two knuts on the matter.....

Susurro Notities - Jul 21, 2004 3:20 pm (#111 of 249)

It would seem reasonable that during the first war everyone who could be spared would work on war work. Undoubtedly misuse of Muggle artifacts was a low priority so Arthur probably spent a good deal of his time working on war work.

S.E. Jones - Jul 21, 2004 3:30 pm (#112 of 249)
Edited Jul 21, 2004 5:04 pm

Or, he didn't work in Muggle Artifacts at the time. There are only two wizards working there now and one is the Head of the Office. If all positions (all two of them) were filled when Arthur started, he may have worked for years somewhere else in the Department....
Edit: For that matter, we know Arthur created the legislation that makes enchanting Muggle artifacts illegal and drafted a Muggle Protection act, so how do we know that he didn't create the Office after the war (in which Muggles were attacked and killed by DEs) ended?

Julia. - Jul 21, 2004 4:06 pm (#113 of 249)

Just to go back a few posts, about how Arthur seems to know everyone in the MoM, you've not mentioned that at the Quidditch World Cup he kept up a running commentary for Harry and Hermione about who everyone was as they were passing their tents and saying hello to Arthur.

Robert Dierken - Jul 21, 2004 5:29 pm (#114 of 249)

It seems to me that Arthur is the wizarding equivalent to Mycroft Holmes.

Madame Librarian - Jul 21, 2004 6:13 pm (#115 of 249)

Could fake-Moody's comment imply Arthur's participation in the Order during some of WVI? I forget whether it's clear as to his being a member. I know Molly wasn't, but what about Arthur? Surely the Order members and Aurors for that matter, would be aware of the devastating use of the Imperius curse. Maybe he was an Auror, but more like a secret agent Auror. Maybe he still is.

Ciao. Barb

S.E. Jones - Jul 21, 2004 6:16 pm (#116 of 249)

He may have been an Auror, or some other policing type agent with the Ministry. Either way, I see him more working with the Ministry in VWI, not the Order.

drippan - Jul 21, 2004 6:43 pm (#117 of 249)

S.E., "I see him more working with the Ministry in VWI, not the Order."

Why not both?

DripPan

zelmia - Jul 21, 2004 8:37 pm (#118 of 249)
Edited Jul 21, 2004 9:38 pm

As Arthur leads Harry through the Ministry to his office, he has to go through Auror HQ. I don't think Arthur WAS and Auror, but given that the Aurors and MUoMA sections are in the same overall department (Law Enforcement), I see nothing strange that Arthur is so well acquainted with Aurors, even if he wasn't one himself.

In fact, as they ride the lift, Arthur exchanges greetings with several members of other departments not connected with his own. I think Arthur is just one of those blokes everyone likes - and with good reason. They trust him - and with good reason - therefore they might divulge more information about the doings in their specific department than they might to someone else. If this is any indication of Arthur's standing during VWI, it sets him up nicely as a Ministry contact for the Order I, even if he wasn't technically a member.

Tomoé - Jul 21, 2004 8:52 pm (#119 of 249)

Steve -> But recall that Arthur is a longtime employee of the Ministry. He is head of a department. In fact Arthur is not the head of his department, he's the head of his office. Madam Bones is likely his only superior in the department though.

I like the idea that Arthur created his office!

Sticky Glue - Jul 26, 2004 3:50 am (#120 of 249)

On JKR's site she answers the question, will Arthur Weasley be the next minister of magic - alas no.

But if the question had been "Will Arthur Weasley ever be minister of magic, I still think that the answer may be different, I think that in book seven he will become minister of magic.

Madame Librarian - Jul 26, 2004 4:05 am (#121 of 249)

Sticky Glue, we don't necessarily have to wait till book 7 for Arthur (maybe--I'll hedge a little bit) to be Chief Minister. JKR just said "no" to will he be the "next" one. If we want to split hairs here, in book 6 there could be a Chief appointed/elected who doesn't hold the office through the book for some reason. Then it might be Arthur.

Ciao. Barb

Sticky Glue - Jul 26, 2004 4:08 am (#122 of 249)

Madame Librarian, I hope you might be right.

mrweasley - Jul 26, 2004 6:32 am (#123 of 249)

Me too! Although, the "alas"-bit in JKR's answer doesn't really make me feel too hopeful... :-(

Madame Librarian - Jul 26, 2004 8:33 am (#124 of 249)

Oh, that's just JKR being coy...she's quite adept at answering the question but not quite completely.

Ciao. Barb

drippan - Jul 26, 2004 3:59 pm (#125 of 249)

I can see Arthur MoM in the future but right now, he's with the OotP. I do believe he might get booted up to head of his dept when Madam Bones is put in as MoM!!

This would put him in charge of Aurors and everything else against the evil forces that may be.......including spies!!

How does everyone feel if he was put into this type of position?

DripPan

Gemini Wolfie - Jul 30, 2004 10:29 pm (#126 of 249)

I think it's important to convince Arthur that it's time he looks at the big picture. He has seen what can happen to the whole wizarding world when incompetent men or women are in positions of authority. From all the tidbits we've been given, it is clear that it was Arthur himself that has turned down promotions rather that him not getting the chance to be booted up. He's a reluctant leader who needs to realize that there are now more at stake than his personal interests.

T Brightwater - Aug 2, 2004 8:11 am (#127 of 249)

I don't know if Arthur has actually turned down promotions. (Ron saying that he could have been promoted at any time, he just likes it where he is, sounds like a defensive rationalization to me.) Molly says that it's his fondness for Muggles that has kept him back at the Ministry; Fudge thinks he lacks "proper wizarding pride." Now that the MoM have seen how where "proper wizarding pride" has landed them, I hope Arthur will have a more responsible position. Depends on who the new MoM is; if it's Amelia Bones, I expect he will be promoted.

Madame Librarian - Aug 2, 2004 8:29 am (#128 of 249)
Edited Aug 2, 2004 9:30 am

Are all the things T Brightwater just mentioned above clues that Arthur is on "special assignment" (by whom? DD?) to stay put in that little department--a seemingly unimportant, harmless one--because there will be a future call for his particular connections and expertise? Yes, I know he seems to be especially dense about things Muggle (felly tone, or however he said!), but I believe strongly that that's just an act.

Or maybe that little department is actually a good cover up for Arthur's real job. Is he possibly an inside agent (spy) for the Order?

Ciao. Barb

T Brightwater - Aug 2, 2004 8:34 am (#129 of 249)
Edited Aug 2, 2004 9:36 am

Madame Librarian, I think you may be on to something. He was the one who was called when Mad-Eye Moody (or who they _thought_ was Mad-Eye) got into trouble just before starting his job at Hogwarts.

drippan - Aug 2, 2004 3:02 pm (#130 of 249)

Madame Librarian, "Are all the things T Brightwater just mentioned above clues that Arthur is on "special assignment" (by whom? DD?) to stay put in that little department--a seemingly unimportant, harmless one--because there will be a future call for his particular connections and expertise?"

Well, if Mdm Bones is selected as MoM and Arthur moves up to her spot, he would still be the overseer of the Muggle Dept, not just running it, plus more!!

Just a thought,

DripPan

Steve Newton - Aug 6, 2004 5:28 am (#131 of 249)

On JKR's site, in response to the question 'Will Arthur Weasley be the new Minister of Magic?' JKR answers 'Alas, no."

I looked up the definition of alas. (I know, too much time on my hands.) The definition is: "Used to express sorrow, regret, grief, compassion, or apprehension of danger or evil." The site I used is The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000. available online at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Maybe I am overreacting but does this definition seem particularly grim? Is Arthur going to die? I was sure that he was going to be Minister some day.

mike miller - Aug 6, 2004 6:33 am (#132 of 249)

I think many of us are in the same place regarding Arthur. I agree with DripPan, Gemini, T Brightwater and Madame Librarian in their recent posts. Madame Bones will be the next MoM (JKR is being coy with us in her reply to the "next MoM question) and Arthur will be promoted to head Magical Law Enforcement. It would seem that Magical Law Enforcement may be the common route to the Minister's office. Recall Crouch Sr. appeared to be in line prior to young Barty's transgression. There may be a pattern here that we just don't have enough history to see; and, future events will follow that pattern.

Can anyone recall what Fudge's position was when he arrived on the scene of Wormtail's escape/Sirius's capture. I remember him being a junior official but can't remember the department (magical reversal?). It may be that even Fudge's background would lend evidence to the Magical Law Enforcement path to the MoM job.

Tomoé - Aug 6, 2004 6:53 am (#133 of 249)
Edited Aug 6, 2004 7:54 am

I was Junior Minister in the Department of Magical Catastrophes at the time, and I was one of the first on the scene

The full name of the dept. is Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes, floor 3. If the importance of the department has something to do with the floor number, the DoMAC should be just behind Magical Law Enforcement's one that is just behind the DoM. If Fudge was still junior minister in the DoMAC or even if he became the Head of the Department, he was in good position to try to become Minister after Crouch Sr, head of DoMLE, was disgraced.

drippan - Aug 6, 2004 1:37 pm (#134 of 249)

Steve Newton, "Maybe I am overreacting but does this definition seem particularly grim? Is Arthur going to die? I was sure that he was going to be Minister some day."

I think "Alas, no" means that Arthur is not going to be the new one. The question and answer is as follows:

Will Arthur Weasley be the new Ministry for Magic? "Alas, no."

This means he will not be the new MoM. There still a chance in the future.

I think JKR is really sad that she made the fans feel bad who really wanted to see Arthur as the next MoM. IMO, JKR takes peoples' feelings into view when answering these types of questions.

BTW, have you tried asking Professor Trelawney? She got 2 predictions right so far! On second thought, don't! She'll have Arthur dying 15 times next week.......

DripPan

Phelim Mcintyre - Aug 12, 2004 5:25 am (#135 of 249)

drippan you exaggerate. Trelawney will only have Arthur dying 14 times next week.

I'm not sure about Arthur becoming the next head of Magical Law Enforcement. It may frighten too many wizards to have a Muggle lover in such an important position. A sideways move to misinformation and Muggle worthy excuses could be on the cards.

Tomoé - Aug 27, 2004 5:27 am (#136 of 249)

It depends who name the Head of dept.

If the Minister names them, and if Madam Bones became Minister, I see no problem for Arthur to become the Head. He's a hard worker, he's loyal, he's honest and Amelia's fair, she was one of "the few" who said 'Morning, Arthur' to Mr. Weasley, she know Arthur is reliable.

If Madam have no part in the decision, Minister or not, Arthur still have an advantage, he was one of the few who supported Dumbledore and the "Voldemort is back" theory. He's kind of freak, but he knew right when the majority was wrong.

Phelim Mcintyre - Aug 29, 2004 10:31 am (#137 of 249)

Good point Tomoé - also with Arthur's nemesis, Lucius Malfoy, behind bars a promotion could be on the cards. But I think Arthur's knowledge of Muggle's (if you call it that) may mean a move to another department. But I could be wrong and have been before.

Tomoé - Aug 29, 2004 3:00 pm (#138 of 249)

Good point. Without Malfoy's around, things are just set to give Arthur his biggest chance. But it wills all depend on Arthur himself in the end, he doesn't sound keen to leave his current post. That doesn't mean he won't do well as the Head of the Dept. of Magical Law Enforcement, nor that he won't enjoy it.

My father, in example, was never interested in office work. He sworn he would never become a pen pusher as he preferred physical works. So, he became trucker, then farmer. A place went vacant in the governor board of the local farmer coop and his friends asked him to take the post. He agreed, but just for two years because no one else wanted. 19 years later, he's the president of the farmer coop federation of Quebec. Arthur could be someone like that, he needs to break the barrier he made in his own mind.

The One - Aug 29, 2004 3:08 pm (#139 of 249)

I used to think that Madam Bones would be the next Minister of Magic, and that Arthur would be promoted to her current job. The reasons I believed that is the same as Tomoé mentions.

But, JKR's answer to the question if Arthur is the next Minister:

Alas, no.

makes me wonder.

Tomoé - Aug 29, 2004 3:32 pm (#140 of 249)
Edited Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm

Then 'alas, no' could mean either I'm sorry to disappoint you, but no or It would have been better but I have to answer no. I think the first one is the one, but my guess is as good as any.

The One - Aug 29, 2004 3:46 pm (#141 of 249)

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but no

Yes, that is my interpretation. But is Arthur being promoted to Head of Magical Law enforcement that much of a disappointment? He may still become minister at a point in the future, and even if he is not his position will have improved quit a bit. I am afraid that the disappointment lies in that there is no major promotion at all waiting for Arthur.

Tomoé - Aug 29, 2004 3:53 pm (#142 of 249)

I think the disappointment is more for the people who firmly believed they were right, it had to be Arthur's turn to become Minister, no way around.

The One - Aug 29, 2004 4:04 pm (#143 of 249)
Edited Aug 29, 2004 5:12 pm

That is possible. I would love to see Percy's reaction if his father is suddenly promoted into an important position!

Tomoé - Aug 29, 2004 4:10 pm (#144 of 249)

Especially if he becomes his boss. What if Percy has to take his father position ... no Perkins will have more seniority, Percy would become the assistant in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office? Poetic justice isn't it? ^_^

Good Evans - Aug 30, 2004 3:11 am (#145 of 249)
Edited by Aug 30, 2004 4:12 am

I think the "Alas, no", could be because Arthur will die before he has the opportunity to reach his full career potential. Sad, but another way to interpret, "Alas, No" .

It’s just that if she thought it impossible because of his potential not reaching that far her answer may have been more along the lines of " Arthur Minister of Magic, well no I cant see it happening" while Alas no is tinged with sadness IMHO.

Tomoé - Aug 30, 2004 5:50 am (#146 of 249)
Edited Aug 30, 2004 6:50 am

I hope you're wrong Good Evans.

The One - Aug 30, 2004 5:57 am (#147 of 249)
Edited Aug 30, 2004 6:59 am

Good Evans

Let's hope not, but it is a possibility. :-(

If Arthur does get a promotion in HBP I will really start to worry..

By the way, I do not really know the usage of the word "Alas", but Dumbledores remark "Alas, ear wax" in PS does not strike me as sad.

mike miller - Aug 30, 2004 6:37 am (#148 of 249)

I think your right Tomoe', the "Alas" was meant for the readers who hope Arthur will be the NEXT Minister of Magic. Madame Bones seems the most likely candidate to replace Fudge. Arthur has not sought out promotion because other things are more important to him. The current circumstances will require Arthur to put aside his personal wishes and rise to the occasion. He is more than willing to do what must be done in the interest of the greater wizarding world.

At some point in the future (after Madame Bones retires), I think Arthur will be asked to take on the role of Minister of Magic. He seems widely known and well liked across the wizarding community.

Chris. - Aug 31, 2004 4:27 am (#149 of 249)

I think JK Rowling means that it would be nice for Arthur to get the top job, but he hasn't the right attitude.

It would be nice, as he would be the "People's Minister". The down-to-earth, kind, funny man who would lead them.

Tomoé - Aug 31, 2004 5:10 pm (#150 of 249)
Edited Aug 31, 2004 6:12 pm

I think she used alas just for the sake of producing a longer answer. A simple "no" sounding a bit too sharp. She almost never answers by "no" or "yes", more something like "I don't think so", "How dare you!", "Yes, you will", "I'm afraid so", stuff like that. If she does use "Yes." or "No." she usually add a sentence or two after to say why.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Arthur Weasley Empty Arthur Weasley (posts #151 to #200)

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:17 pm

phoenix fire - Sep 13, 2004 1:18 pm (#151 of 249)

just posed this question in the Molly Weasley thread, but this is just an appropriate a place... Has it been discussed before why Arthur and Molly were not members of the Order of the phoenix the first time they had to fight Voldemort? Also, do people consider Arthur and Molly powerful wizards?

zelmia - Sep 13, 2004 2:03 pm (#152 of 249)

It's clear that Molly was not in the Order the first time. Lupin tells her: "You weren't in the Order then..." (- OP, The Woes of Mrs. Weasley). But I think Arthur was in the Order. True, he is not in the photo of the Order that Moody shows Harry - which a lot of people suggest proves that Arthur wasn't in the Order; but there are many perfectly reasonable explanations for why Arthur did not appear in that photo. For example, if the atmosphere at the Ministry back then was anything like it is in OP, Arthur might not have wanted to risk having photographic evidence of his participation, what with a family to support.

Anyway, I believe that he was in the Order the first time round, although that might prove to be wrong.

Sara Elizabeth - Sep 16, 2004 11:22 am (#153 of 249)

Does anyone think that maybe Arthur will be offered the position of Minister of Magic and he is the one that turns it down?

Just a thought...

phoenix fire - Sep 16, 2004 11:54 am (#154 of 249)

That's interesting... I think JKR has said Arthur won't be the next Minister, but that could mean he is offered the position but turns it down. I like that, maybe it would shut up Lucius Malfoy.

Steve Newton - Sep 16, 2004 12:12 pm (#155 of 249)

AS much as it might be satisfying to tell the Ministry to take this job and shove it, it would be a disaster for the good guys. As the MOM you need somebody on your side who knows what they are doing. Since Arthur is on the good guy side the only reason for him to turn it down would be if he thought that he could not do the job. I guess that he could figure that it was a bad time to take over the job. The guy in charge tends to get the blame when things to wrong even if his predecessor is the one that messed up.

Sorry to be so long winded.

El Cronista de Salem - Sep 18, 2004 5:34 am (#156 of 249)

VERY IMPORTANT!!! In the Spanish version of jkrowling.com, it is said "Arthur Weasley had other two brothers". Have they dead, or it is a mistake of translation?

The original quote is: "Arthur Weasley was one of three brothers." Maybe it says to that they are dead, but I don't know exactly...

zelmia - Sep 18, 2004 8:22 pm (#157 of 249)

Cronista, we don't know much about Arthur's past, but since Jo refers to his brothers in the past tense, they may indeed be dead at this point in the story.

Tomoé - Sep 18, 2004 9:52 pm (#158 of 249)

Do we know know if Billius is a Weasley or a Prewett? If he's a Weasley, that make one of Arthur's brother dead for sure.

Kelly Kapaoski - Oct 2, 2004 11:24 am (#159 of 249)

Arthur seems really laid back about things; but very well respected. He definitely has several people who owe him favors. Molly seems to be able to keep her husband in check though (except for the plugs and batteries that he has in his shed)

Kelly Kapaoski - Oct 9, 2004 1:43 am (#160 of 249)

Also I am wondering how far back Arthur Weasley and Lucius Malfoy's Rivalry goes. They are approximately the same age so I am wondering if Lucius and Arthur started hating each other during their time at Hogwarts.

legolas - Oct 9, 2004 1:53 am (#161 of 249)

I think regardless of age Lucius Malfoy would be condescending of Arthur because of his job.

Madame Librarian - Oct 9, 2004 5:12 am (#162 of 249)

Not only that, Legolas, but also because the Weasleys and the Malfoys, both old pureblood families, have such opposing views on what it means to be pureblood. Way long ago, perhaps with a previous generation or even further back, the Malfoy gang took a stance in line with the Slyth way of thinking and the Weasleys sided with GG, of course. Lucius thinks Arthur is a traitor to the pureblood world; Arthur thinks Lucius is racist and stuck in the past glory of Wizarding society. I do believe there are a number of throwaway lines, mostly spoken by Lucius, that support this idea.

One of many is found in CoS, ch. 4, p. 62, US paperback. The scene is in Flourish and Blotts, the two meet and exchange snipes--

...Dear me, what's the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don't even pay you well for it?

Mr. Weasley flushed darker than either Ron or Ginny.

We have a very different idea of what disgraces the name of wizard, Malfoy, he said.

Clearly, said Mr. Malfoy..."The company you keep, Weasley...and I thought your family could sink no lower--"

Ciao. Barb

legolas - Oct 9, 2004 6:48 am (#163 of 249)

I agree with what you’re saying about different purebloods siding with Gryffindor/Slytherin. I would take things slightly further. You know how people have theorised that Harry is descended from Gryffindor. Could the Weasleys be descended from friends/servants of Godric Gryffindor. Malfoys family could have descended from the Slytherin supporter/servants side. They side with Voldy. I guess that I am saying that all the descendants from the main players from each side are back together fighting against each other like they were around 1000 years ago. This could be why there is such an extreme split between the Weasleys and the Malfoys. With the current generation I think the split will remain.

T Brightwater - Oct 19, 2004 10:39 am (#164 of 249)

It wouldn't surprise me if the Weasleys were descended from Gryffindor himself. Somehow I've got the idea in my head that GG had red hair, but this could be a complete hallucination, or someone else's conjecture.

I'm still worried about JKR's "Alas, no." comment. To me it suggests that one of two things will happen (or maybe, Jo forbid, both):

1) Arthur is going to die.

2) Whoever is going to get the job is not someone we will like.

Kelly Kapaoski - Oct 19, 2004 1:22 pm (#165 of 249)

I still think that Amelia Bones is going to get promoted to Minister of magic and Arthur is going to get promoted to the Head of Magical Law enforcement.

DJ Evans - Oct 19, 2004 5:26 pm (#166 of 249)

T Brightwater: I'm going to go for your #2 there -- Whoever is going to get the job is not someone we will like. I have a funny feeling we're all going to wish Fudge was "back"!!!!

I'm going to try and go with the hope that since Jo has already had Arthur in a situation where he almost died that he will live through books 6 & 7 or I hope so!!!!!

Later, Deb

veraco - Oct 22, 2004 8:07 am (#167 of 249)
Edited Oct 22, 2004 9:09 am

I also was a little worried with JKR answer regarding Arthur and the Ministry. It was so.... I don't know so worrisome to me.

It was like when I opened OoP for the first time and saw the drawing with Sirius, I just knew then he was the one who was going to die although I try to live in denial.

In this case, I'm with you TB, it's possible that the new minister is someone we wont like or Arthur is going to die.

In the other hand, I like to think that he will remain in his current job and hopefully get a better office and past new laws regarding the Muggles, and in time help to improve the wizard and Muggle relationships.

Ydnam96 - Nov 15, 2004 7:51 am (#168 of 249)

I wonder, if given the opportunity, if Arthur would take a "promotion". He seems to LOVE his job and moving would take away his ability to work with Muggle artifacts (which he is obsessed with).

Paulus Maximus - Nov 15, 2004 7:58 am (#169 of 249)

Ron said that Arthur could have gotten a promotion any time but liked it where he was...

Kelly Kapaoski - Nov 15, 2004 7:39 pm (#170 of 249)

What would be funny would be if Arthur got promoted to the head of Magical Law Enforcement and while Percy gets sent to the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts office under Perkins.

Denise S. - Nov 16, 2004 12:04 am (#171 of 249)

Ydnam96: I wonder, if given the opportunity, if Arthur would take a "promotion". He seems to LOVE his job and moving would take away his ability to work with Muggle artifacts (which he is obsessed with).

Paulus Maximus: Ron said that Arthur could have gotten a promotion any time but liked it where he was...

I think there's a fair possibility of it (a promotion or the like). Even if Arthur would prefer to stay with Muggle Artifacts, the situation with Voldemort and his position in the Order would be reason for him to move somewhere else within the ministry (though probably not to a high level).

Tessa's Dad - Nov 16, 2004 7:53 am (#172 of 249)

If the next Minister is a fair person, he/she could she the value that Dumbledore sees in Arthur. I believe that there is more to Mr. Weasley than a slight obsession with Muggles. He seems to be a very hard working and insightful wizard. I don’t see him as the next minister, but he could be placed in a very high-ranking position.

Molly did say something to the effect that Fudge was keeping Arthur down due to his lack of pureblooded pride. Arthur may be pivotal in mending the rift in Muggle/Wizard relations. Or, at least being a major player in keeping the lines of communication open between Wizards and Muggles during the upcoming conflicts.

Madame Librarian - Nov 16, 2004 7:59 am (#173 of 249)

I've always held that Arthur's bumbling nature and seeming lack of true understanding of things Muggle despite being a so-called expert is an act. He's totally savvy. Not even Molly is clued in on this. Just DD and maybe one or two very select members of the Order. Why? Well, he's got a mission or special job to do. He must take on the role of a nobody, a harmless kook, a ministry insider who is not at all a threat.

If what I think is the case, Arthur might prefer to remain in a relatively obscure little office, doing seemingly unimportant things. His value to the good side is the greatest this way. It may even end up having something to do with Muggles.

Ciao. Barb

Tessa's Dad - Nov 16, 2004 8:11 am (#174 of 249)

Barb,

I like your thoughts. I’ve felt that there was more to Arthur than just a bumbling bureaucrat. Molly does seem to listen to him when it’s time to make some tough decisions. The ministry turned to him to clear up the Mad-Eye Moody trash bin attack. There is diffidently more to the man than we’ve seen.

Now I can’t decide if I want him to stay bumbling and help the Order or move up the ranks.

I’m as confused as a kid in a candy shop. I think I’ll choose the blood-flavored lollipops. Oops, I can't have those. I’m not a lawyer!

TwinklingBlueEyes - Nov 16, 2004 11:23 am (#175 of 249)

Oops, I can't have those. I’m not a lawyer! ROFLMAO!!! BRAVO!

MickeyCee3948 - Nov 16, 2004 11:58 am (#176 of 249)

Tessa's Dad - I have never seen Arthur as bumbling. A little out of it with regards to Muggle lifestyles but still I believe a very important individual in the upcoming battles and he ability to work with Muggle authorities.

Love those blood-flavored lollipops they make great gifts packages. Throw a few in the pond and watch the sharks(lawyers)have a feeding frenzy. Almost as good as a 15 car freeway pileup.

Mikie

zelmia - Nov 16, 2004 7:58 pm (#177 of 249)

I kind of resent the characterisation of Arthur as "bumbling". He is ignorant of Muggle ways -- but eager to learn. This passion has nothing whatsoever to do with his role as a father, marital partner, or Member of the OP.

It's true that bureaucratic politics are often prejudiced against this "type" of person (i.e. having mild obsessions with things other people think are a bit barmy), but apart from that - as was pointed out earlier - Arthur is well-respected and well-liked by his colleagues at the Ministry.

The giant squid - Nov 16, 2004 10:57 pm (#178 of 249)

I'm a bit torn on Arthur. As mentioned, he is considered an expert on Muggle-related things, yet doesn't know the correct pronunciation of "eckeltricity". To me this means one of two things--either he's playing the fool and actually does know a lot more than he lets on, or the average wizard is even more clueless than Arthur (a rather frightening thought, really).

Either way, I like the character very much. Like Tessa's Dad said, he's very well respected and people take him seriously, but he still has that little-kid streak in him ("Your sons took the car out tonight!" "Did you really? How was it?"). You can't help but like the guy.

--Mike

Czarina II - Nov 17, 2004 8:57 am (#179 of 249)

Maybe Arthur just has trouble with pronunciation? "Electricity" and "telephone", among others, are not words that wizards use everyday (unlike Muggles) and even an expert like Arthur doesn't hear them spoken very often. Most readers of the HP series had serious trouble with names like Hermione, Sirius, Voldemort, etc. and the Latinized spells. Of course, this depends a lot on our prior knowledge. I knew "Hermione" because I'd seen Shakespeare's play and because I saw the first movie before reading the books, for example. Those of us who understand Latin or Romantic languages probably didn't have as much trouble with the spell incantations. Arthur Weasley is one of the experts on Muggles, so naturally he himself has to read words and figure them out for himself. He only hears them pronounced properly by Muggle-borns and perhaps the odd Muggle or two (the Grangers, for instance). This is not very often, it seems.

The wizarding world and the Muggle world are two different cultures. Naturally, there is a lot of ignorance on the part of wizards of their Muggle counterparts. They pay attention to things that are important, such as hiding themselves from Muggles, but don't pay a lot of attention to minor details like technology. Wizards have no use for electricity or telephones, Muggles have no use for wands, incantations, or potions (we can't brew them, I mean -- we could find lots of uses for them).

Tessa's Dad - Nov 17, 2004 9:44 am (#180 of 249)

I was not trying to cause anyone to feel upset or offended with my comment about Mr. Weasley being a bit of a bumbler. Between his wife yelling at him for the things he does and the attitude of his kids, one could get the idea that he has more than a few eccentricities and not always on the ball. We could assume that he’s just a wee bit daft. Most Fathers get this attitude at some time. Add to this the comments made by the Malfoy boys about Arthur and his love of Muggles, one can come away feeling as if poor Mr. Weasley needs a nursemaid following him around.

His wife may even have a feeling that her husband is not the equal of Lucius. If his family seems to question his abilities and attitudes, shouldn’t we?

As is the case with most of the characters inhabiting this Potterverse, there’s more to Arthur than we’ve seen. We’ve only seen him from Harry’s viewpoint. I believe that Arthur is far more involved with the Ministry and more important to the story than we’ve been led to believe.

In a lot of ways Arthur reminds me of a young Albus Dumbledore. Both have a lack of concern about their status. Both have a few eccentricities. And both have a belief that your blood status is not the most overriding factor in life. One loves socks and the other loves plugs. I also see a parallel between the way Molly tries to control Arthur and the way Minerva tries to handle Albus.

I’m a big fan of Mr. Arthur Weasley. I’d share a cup a tea with him and explain electricity to him and he could explain far more to me. That would be a nice afternoon.

wwtMask - Nov 17, 2004 10:00 am (#181 of 249)

I like Mme. Librarian's assessment of Arthur. The man has his eccentricities (so does Dumbly...) but he's sharp, honest, and respected by quite a few important people in the MoM. More importantly, while he's in a relatively obscure post and he is known for his Muggle obsession, he is seen as mostly harmless. Thus he, no doubt like DEs who are in the MoM, is a well placed agent and, I think, a good deal more influential than Lucius Malfoy could ever be because he has earned the respect instead of buying it. If he is a bit mad about Muggle things, I think that can be excused. Considering how much he has to liaise with Muggles, his liberal view towards Wizard/Muggle relations serves him perfectly.

haymoni - Nov 17, 2004 6:03 pm (#182 of 249)

I never took Ron's comment about his dad being able to take other positions seriously. I thought his comment was just a defensive statement.

I believe Molly when she says Arthur was kept down by Fudge.

The giant squid - Nov 18, 2004 1:19 am (#183 of 249)

Czarina, that's an interesting idea about pronunciation being Arthur's "albatross". The only thing I could think of that might go against that is when he asks Harry about the purpose of a rubber duck. Is that canon, or was it only in the movie?

--Mike

Kelly Kapaoski - Nov 18, 2004 2:35 am (#184 of 249)

the rubber duck was only in the movie. but I wouldn't put it past a couple of wizards or witches to enchant a rubber duck to make it quack or move around the tub for the kids’ entertainment during bath time though.

Czarina II - Nov 18, 2004 8:22 am (#185 of 249)

Well, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck? Just a toy, I presume? But it doesn't really do anything, other than float. Not very exciting. Why is it so popular? Serious questions from a wizarding point of view.

haymoni - Nov 18, 2004 8:26 am (#186 of 249)

Ask Ernie from "Sesame Street".

MickeyCee3948 - Nov 18, 2004 11:58 am (#187 of 249)

My rubber ducky swims around my bathtub every night.

I believe a lot of other Muggle habits and items would probably be extremely odd to witches and wizards. Wonder what the WW would think about the atom bomb?

Mikie

mooncalf - Nov 20, 2004 12:27 am (#188 of 249)

Despite their grumblings, I think that Molly and the kids (except for Percy) really do respect Arthur. Everybody complains about their family members' faults and idiosyncrasies, but typically they are loyal and won't hear other people speak out against them. That's how I see the Weasleys. Yes, they complain about Arthur (Don't most teenagers think that their Dads are embarrassing?) but they listen to him and they respect him. Any doubt that the kids care deeply about their dad ought to have been eliminated by reading about the way the kids reacted after he was attacked.

zelmia - Nov 20, 2004 1:35 am (#189 of 249)

Yes, they complain about Arthur (Don't most teenagers think that their Dads are embarrassing?) - Mooncalf

When? When do any of the Weasleys (Percy excepted) complain about Arthur? Molly scolds Arthur and argues with him. But when does anyone actually, as you say, "complain" about Arthur?

In CS we see Ron and the Twins (and Harry) race back to the house during the de-gnoming because they hear the door slam and that means their dad is home. ("Dad's home!") They can't wait to hear all about what he's been up to all night. Ron feels the need to defend Arthur ("Dad could have been promoted any time but he likes where he is.") The Twins proudly describe how Arthur has an entire shed full of "Muggle artifacts".

On the whole, I would say this is pretty indicative of how the children feel about their dad. They are proud of him and look up to him.

mooncalf - Nov 20, 2004 11:00 pm (#190 of 249)
Edited by Nov 20, 2004 11:01 pm

I'm not disagreeing with you, Zelmia; I do think that the Weasley kids look up to their dad, but they do sometimes make negative comments about him. There is the time when the twins say about him, "What do you expect, he collects plugs?" (Sorry, don't remember the exact reference.) Ron comments that his dad works in the most boring department in the Ministry (COS), or there is Ron's comment that Gryffindor winning the Quidditch Cup is about as likely as Arthur becoming Minister of Magic (OoTP). The description of the shed full of Muggle stuff could be interpreted as deprecating; Fred was laughing when he said it. They laugh about their dad a lot.

But though they say disparaging things about Arthur among themselves, they defend him to others; I think that many happy families function that way. As you say, they value his opinion and enjoy his company.

Czarina II - Nov 21, 2004 10:09 am (#191 of 249)

The number one rule in most of the families I know is: If you are going to make fun of your family members, fine, if someone outside of the family makes fun of your family members, give them a good tongue-lashing. (Or something to that effect :-))

The Weasleys poke fun at their father's quirky habits, but they love him and when others say rude things about their dad, they get offended and defend him. Same with their mother. Same with the different siblings, except for maybe Percy. Of course, no one outside of the family has insulted Percy to the face of his brothers in the books (I'm not counting Harry or Hermione, since they have been accepted as proxy-Weasleys), so we don't really know if the brothers would defend their errant brother or not.

mooncalf - Nov 21, 2004 10:44 pm (#192 of 249)

Thanks, Czarina, for putting it more clearly than I did! :-)

T Brightwater - Dec 19, 2004 2:00 pm (#193 of 249)

I don't see Arthur as a bumbler (someone who makes a mess of things because he doesn't know what he's doing). He's definitely an eccentric; probably even the colleagues who respect him the most find him rather amusing at times. Like most of Jo's best characters, he takes his work more seriously than he takes himself. I agree with Tessa's Dad that he'd be great fun to talk to.

John Bumbledore - Dec 28, 2004 2:20 pm (#194 of 249)

I find myself strangely similar to both Arthur and Dumbledore, but more with Arthur, really.

I find tinkering with *artifacts* to be enjoyable and I too have a collection of *Muggle* items that are broken but which I believe I can fix, if I had just a bit of extra time to tinker with them. I have fixed a few toys in my time, including a talking Woody of Toy Story. Just a bit of solder, a new string, and rewinding the spring. My daughter was very pleased at the time. Then time passed and it was passed down to the next daughter. It broke again and I haven't fixed it yet this time, not as easy now.

Arthur is held back at MoM, it may be because he has such a pro-Muggle view. I believe he is credited with the pending Muggle protection act. That was disparaged by Mr. Malfoy, and it may be Lucius that (through donations to Fudge's Pol chest) that has been keeping Arthur from advancing.

Arthur also seems to be easily distracted, but is very competent with his counter-curses. He seems to be the most indispensable wizard in his office. He is always being called out to take care of potentially nasty or sensitive issues (such as Moody's rubbish bins, exploding Muggle toilets.)

I think it may be a touch of attention deficit disorder. See if these symptoms fit with the Arthur Weasley we know.

Poor attention; excessive distractibility

Excessive impulsivity; saying or doing things without thinking

Poor organization, planning, and time management skills

Those are just a few that I think I have observed in Arthur.

<)B^D= (John) Bumbledore.

MickeyCee3948 - Dec 28, 2004 4:35 pm (#195 of 249)

I disagree Bumbledore, I don't think Arthur says or does things without thinking. In order to interact with Muggle authority figures as much as he does he must be quick of wit and capable of talking himself(and others) out of situations. I also don't believe he is a poor organizer or planner. He seems to be like most Muggles and some wizards(DD)he never has enough time to spend on his hobbies. Most of us don't. I also believe that Arthur is a very capable wizard. The ministry does not seem to hesitate to send him out on difficult assignments be it raids looking for improper dark objects or getting other wizards out of hot water. I like Arthur and find him very capable.

Mikie

Kelly Kapaoski - Dec 29, 2004 1:13 pm (#196 of 249)

I got the impression that Arthur is an extremely competent and hard working wizard who is obsessed with everything about Muggles. He would be perfect on the "Muggle-worthy excuse committee". I think the only thing that keeps him in line is Molly who seems to be his voice of reason.

Madame Librarian - Dec 29, 2004 5:56 pm (#197 of 249)

If people think Arthur is a bit of a bumbler, not clever enough for a higher level position with the MoM, and a man with an unnatural curiosity for things Muggle, well, Arthur himself is quite pleased to let that impression be. It just makes all the truly serious Order work he must do less noticed by his MoM colleagues (and those who take an unnatural interest in the business of the Ministry--those whose initials are LM).

I think the man is a complex combination of boyish charm, feigned ineptitude, and downright unbelievable intelligence who has an important role in the grand scheme of good Wizard vs. evil Wizard, not to mention his possible role as the resident Muggle-relations expert--a role that might turn out to be crucial as things heat up more and more.

Ciao. Barb

T Brightwater - Jan 1, 2005 11:31 am (#198 of 249)

I think the man is a complex combination of boyish charm, feigned ineptitude, and downright unbelievable intelligence who has an important role in the grand scheme of good Wizard vs. evil Wizard, not to mention his possible role as the resident Muggle-relations expert--a role that might turn out to be crucial as things heat up more and more.

Good one, Barb. Like Dumbledore, Arthur really doesn't give a rat's backside what other people think of him. He cares about things that matter, and if other people think he's weird or even stupid for being interested in Muggles and Muggle tools, that's their problem.

wwtMask - Jan 3, 2005 6:09 am (#199 of 249)

Sounds a bit like our favorite Ravenclaw, I think.

haymoni - Jan 22, 2005 7:16 pm (#200 of 249)

I am re-reading GOF. Arthur mentions helping out Ludo's brother Otto - he had a lawnmower with unnatural powers.

Why would Otto have a lawnmower? It sounds like a Muggle-baiting bit to me.

Maybe Ludo isn't the Death Eater - Brother Otto could be the culprit.

Or he's a nobody like Mark Evans and Madam Marsh.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Arthur Weasley Empty Arthur Weasley (posts #201 to #249)

Post  Potteraholic Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Wand Maker - Jan 22, 2005 7:43 pm (#201 of 249)

Maybe it was a flying lawnmower - After a hard hour's work watching the mower cut the front lawn, hop on it for a quick trip to The Hog's Head for a pint. Boy, It's getting late.

Kelly Kapaoski - Jan 23, 2005 12:41 pm (#202 of 249)

Otto could have been enchanting the lawn mower to change the color of his lawn and chase garden gnomes out of their gnome holes.

Eponine - Feb 5, 2005 4:19 pm (#203 of 249)

Happy Birthday, Arthur!

El Cronista de Salem - Feb 6, 2005 6:37 am (#204 of 249)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ARTHUR!

With Arthur, we have all the Weasley's birthdays :-) And there are not a few!

Ydnam96 - Apr 24, 2005 11:25 am (#205 of 249)

Well, wizards still have lawns...and I haven't heard of a spell yet that magically cuts lawns (isn't there a bit in one of the books about the Weasley's garden being overgrown?) Maybe they need a regular lawn mower?

Or maybe you are right and he was Muggle-baiting.

Robert Dierken - Apr 24, 2005 5:54 pm (#206 of 249)

Maybe you get the lawn mowed by borrowing a goat from Aberforth!

pottermom34 - Apr 25, 2005 5:11 am (#207 of 249)

Maybe Aberforth turned his goats into lawnmowers, hence the inappropriate charms.

Doris Crockford - Jun 19, 2005 12:04 pm (#208 of 249)
Edited Jun 19, 2005 1:08 pm

Ok, I've been reading the thread on "problems regarding JKR's answer about the Marauder's Map" or whatever it's called, and a while ago, people were debating whether or not Arthur was in the Order last time. I figured this was probably a better place to post my thoughts.

I'm reading OoP again to prepare for HBP, and I just read the conversation where the Order members tell Harry a bit about what they've been doing. Harry asks them if they're telling people Voldie's back, and Arthur says, "We've managed to convince a couple of people, though.... Tonks, here, for one- she's too young to have been in the Order of the Phoenix last time, and having Aurors on our side is a huge advantage" (page 90, British/Canadian edition; chapter: 'The Order of the Phoenix').

Since Arthur is the one that said this and didn't mention that they convinced him to join this time, only that they convinced Tonks, I think he was probably in the original Order.

Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 6, 2005 6:42 pm (#209 of 249)
Edited Aug 6, 2005 7:42 pm

At the time of the first war with Voldemort I doubt Arthur or Molly was involved in the business of the Order at least directly because, at the time the photo was taken the Weasleys had at most five children under the age of ten at home. So it is entirely possible that Arthur and Molly had no involvement.

On another note I think the day Ron marries Hermione, Arthur will dance a jig because, he will have endless source of answers for all his questions about Muggles.

Madam Pince - Aug 7, 2005 9:39 am (#210 of 249)

LOL, Nathan! Poor Hermione.... every family get-together will find her nervously trying to find a seat as far away from Arthur as possible, while he's crying out "Hermione! Glad to see you! I've been meaning to ask you about computaters...."

T Brightwater - Aug 7, 2005 1:44 pm (#211 of 249)
Edited Aug 7, 2005 2:46 pm

I think Hermione will gladly indulge him, and Molly will stop him before he gets to be too much of a nuisance: "That's enough, Arthur! Let the poor girl finish her dinner!" (Can you see Molly allowing any of Arthur's obsessions to get in the way of her feeding someone?)

The giant squid - Aug 8, 2005 1:19 am (#212 of 249)

At the very least, she would be more than happy to provide Arthur with an endless supply of reading materials...

Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 8, 2005 3:30 pm (#213 of 249)

On her website J.K. Rowling mentioned that Arthur was one of three brothers. I wonder whether Arthur's brothers are alive?

Ludicrous Patents Office - Aug 8, 2005 3:46 pm (#214 of 249)

I feel sorry for Hermione's parents at the wedding. Hope Molly keeps track of Arthur or they will have a miserable time! LPO

Herm oh ninny - Aug 8, 2005 3:51 pm (#215 of 249)

Yea, can't you see Arthur interrupting Hermione's dance with her father to ask something like "Pardon me but, have you heard of rolly skates? How do they work exactly?"

Phelim Mcintyre - Aug 13, 2005 3:44 am (#216 of 249)

Just read all the posts. Not one asks how disappointed Arthur was to be "promoted" from misuse of Muggle artifacts to dealing with fake protective objects. Notice how Molly spoke about it being more important as if challenging Harry to disagree.

But the wedding between Ron and Hermione. If it is a church Arthur will be getting out of his seat and wandering round to see how the organ works. Unless Molly Stupefies him or something.

Netherlandic - Sep 11, 2005 9:35 am (#217 of 249)

LOL, Phelim.

Phelim Mcintyre - Sep 12, 2005 2:42 am (#218 of 249)

I can hear Molly now. "Arthur, come and sit down at once. ARTHUR. This is no time for your fascination with Muggle artifacts now. ARTHUR, the minister wants to get on. Stop harassing the, the organist (thank you Hermione) he is trying to play the hymn. Arthur. This is your last warning. Oh well. STUPIFY"

Netherlandic - Sep 13, 2005 12:07 pm (#219 of 249)

LOL, LOL, LOL, Phelim.

M A Grimmett - Sep 14, 2005 11:11 am (#220 of 249)

She might want to do a preemptive Stupefy!

T Brightwater - Sep 14, 2005 12:24 pm (#221 of 249)

Do you think the Imperius Curse might be justified under the circumstances? :-)

Phelim Mcintyre - Sep 15, 2005 4:21 am (#222 of 249)

Just make sure that everyone has been practicing memory charms. Hermione married! When did that happen?

Paulus Maximus - Sep 16, 2005 5:44 am (#223 of 249)

It didn't happen... yet...

Phelim Mcintyre - Sep 17, 2005 3:33 am (#224 of 249)

Sorry, the last bit should have had speech marks. It is what people will say after Molly has used memory charms to hide the chaos Arthur causes trying to find out how the organ works etc.

T Brightwater - Oct 13, 2005 9:58 am (#225 of 249)

Anybody else think that DD might be related to the Weasleys? He did have auburn (reddish) hair...and if Jo thinks we ought to be thinking about his family, doesn't that imply we've met some of them, besides Aberforth?

wynnleaf - Oct 13, 2005 11:05 am (#226 of 249)

Well, it's as good a place to start as any. If she thinks we ought to be thinking about DD's family, then there must be some evidence around that we haven't picked up on yet.

RoseMorninStar - Oct 13, 2005 12:43 pm (#227 of 249)
Edited Oct 13, 2005 1:44 pm

JKR has said that she LOVES red/ginger colored hair. So, I don't know if so many people have red hair because she loves it or because there is some type of family connections. I think Mundungus also has red hair.

From Jo's website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are also many superstitions associated with redheaded people and most state that they are in some way unlucky (Judas Iscariot was supposedly red-haired), but this is nonsense; I happen to like red hair as well as weasels.

I thought there was another comment about red or 'ginger' colored hair in an interview, but I cannot find it.

wynnleaf - Oct 13, 2005 1:05 pm (#228 of 249)
Edited Oct 13, 2005 2:06 pm

So Mundungus is the long-lost Weasley second cousin once removed?

RoseMorninStar - Oct 13, 2005 8:19 pm (#229 of 249)

Yeah...his character seems to be kind of a 'weasel' too!!

T Brightwater - Oct 14, 2005 5:45 am (#230 of 249)

The Weasleys certainly seem to be the most prolific of the pureblood families, so they're probably related to almost everybody.

Pinky Prime - Nov 10, 2005 10:25 am (#231 of 249)

You must have a passion for invention in order for them to work. Diligence, persistence, and perseverance can make all the difference in trial and error guesswork.

The Weasley Twins have not only done underage magic but have managed to hide it from the MoM. Hearing explosions in their room for years, Tut Tut.

Arthur’s three youngest boys have caused a lot of trouble and I won’t be surprised that Arthur not only encouraged them, he covered for them. He certainly seemed interested after their trip to #4 Privet Dr. when the used the enchanted (illegal?) car to pick up Harry.

How could he, (a MoM Official at the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office) be allowed to have an enchanted Muggle car. Seems that he is not averse to breaking the law and that’s where they might have gotten their squalor for mischief. Having to deal with Molly alone would have been difficult she certainly keeps him in line.

Steve Newton - Nov 10, 2005 10:35 am (#232 of 249)

I seem to recall that Arthur wrote the law and made a loophole so that it was not illegal. Something along the lines that it was not illegal if he had not intended to fly it. (He didn't as far as we know.)

ex-FAHgeek - Nov 10, 2005 11:25 am (#233 of 249)
Edited by Nov 10, 2005 11:26 am

Yes, Molly berates him on that point: "You knew that loophole was there when you wrote that law!" He made a point of leaving his own hobbies unaccounted for by the legal system.

Like any good politician or bureaucrat, Arthur Weasley knows how to leave himself an out so he can do whatever he wants.

Phelim Mcintyre - Nov 14, 2005 4:37 am (#234 of 249)

Also, while the MoM has the ability to detect magic they have no way of knowing who does it. They rely on the parents to keep their children under control. I can't give you the exact reference but this is something DD says to Harry after one of his special lessons in HbP.

M A Grimmett - Nov 16, 2005 12:57 pm (#235 of 249)

I'd imagine the MoM is more diligent in monitoring Muggles and kids with wizarding powers than kids of wizarding families.

Chemyst - Mar 10, 2007 4:06 pm (#236 of 249)

Considering how Ginny is the first Weasley girl in ages, I think it is strange that we haven't had more hints about the father-daughter relationship. Arthur has a fairly sweet nature toward Molly; most men who think of their wives that way would be absolutely gaga over having a daughter that looked just like them (red hair anyway).

But in all of Harry's summers at the Burrow, he never mentions anything. For all of Arthur's tinkering, we never see him assemble a homemade toy for her. We never hear Ron or the twins say she gets special treatment as Daddy's little girl. We know she is inclined to be a bit of a tomboy, but in a house where competition for a parent's attention would be high, we haven't seen her play the princess card with her dad. (And if it would have worked, I think we would have seen it; F&G would not hesitate to capitalize on such an advantage.) When Harry & Ginny started being an item, it would have been the most natural thing in the world to feed Harry information by having Ginny say, "When I was a little girl, my daddy....." but we never hear that.

What's with Arthur?

Choices - Mar 10, 2007 5:41 pm (#237 of 249)

I think Arthur is just busy with work and he doesn't play favorites. He does things with all his children and looks on each as an individual and deals with them as such (with the exception of Fred and George who seem to be looked at as a single entity and the source of many trials and tribulations for their parents and siblings). LOL We can imagine that when Arthur is at home he tends to coddle Ginny and favor her as the only girl, but it just isn't important to the main story so we don't see it.

Thom Matheson - Mar 10, 2007 6:04 pm (#238 of 249)

That will change once he finds out about that no good Harry Potter kissing his baby girl. Where's my shotgun?

MickeyCee3948 - Mar 10, 2007 6:44 pm (#239 of 249)

He won't need one, I heard that there is a double-barreled wand in the kitchen cabinet.

Mickey

Hoot Owl - Mar 25, 2007 9:54 am (#240 of 249)

The "Mr. Potter what are your intentions towards my daughter?" speech? We may not get to witness that, but it could be interesting. I do hope Arthur and Harry get together and discuss some extra security for Ginny. Harry should realize just parting with her is not enough and Arthur is in the best position to request help for his daughter. She would hate it, but this is not her thread.

However, Chemyst, where in canon did you get the impression that Ginny was a tomboy? Aside from her being skilled at Quidditch, I saw no tomboyishness in the character at all.

Choices - Mar 25, 2007 10:05 am (#241 of 249)

I don't think Ginny is a major tomboy, but just growing up with all those brothers and being inclined towards sports (Quidditch) qualifies her to be termed a tomboy in my book.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Mar 25, 2007 12:34 pm (#242 of 249)

I wonder what Arthur and Molly think about Harry and Ginny. Fred and George are more protective over her than Arthur. I wonder what they will think. Guess we will find out at the wedding. LPO

journeymom - Mar 25, 2007 1:38 pm (#243 of 249)

I think she's a bit of a tomboy, too. Compare her to Lavender or the Patil twins.

rambkowalczyk - Mar 27, 2007 12:39 pm (#244 of 249)

I wouldn't be surprised if Molly and Arthur wouldn't feel more protective towards Harry rather than Ginny. I think as parents they might know Ginny and being liberal witches and wizards may not be so disturbed that Ginny had a 'boyfriend' in her 3rd and 4th year (Michael Corner, Dean Thomas). The twins might be overprotective of Ginny because the missed the clues in Ginny's first year and are trying to make up for it.

I bet the Weasleys are more concerned about Ginny breaking Harry's heart and not the other way around.

Chemyst - Mar 27, 2007 4:43 pm (#245 of 249)

Hoot Owl asked: However, Chemyst, where in canon did you get the impression that Ginny was a tomboy? Aside from her being skilled at Quidditch, I saw no to boyishness in the character at all.

I had said, "She is inclined to be a bit of a tomboy," so the standard is a bit of a tomboy, not a full-blown tomboy. And my evidence from canon and interviews with JKR is:

• When her jaw is set, her facial resemblance to F&G is striking - OP33
• Tomboyish preference in spells - Bat Bogey Hex is not exactly girly gemstone sparkles HBP7
• Tomboyish choice of amusement - Dungbombs and garroting gas are not girly flowers & spice fragrances OP4, 32
• Even her Valentine poetry refers to a pickled toad; toads are not girly. CS
• Chooses "Army," a traditionally masculine job, as a name for the DA. OP18
• JKR calls her "forceful" in World Book Day Interview 2004, "forceful" is a tomboyish trait
• JKR calls her "gutsy" in TLC/Mugglenet Interview 2005, "gutsy" is a tomboyish trait

...and now back to Arthur, please.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Mar 27, 2007 5:27 pm (#246 of 249)

Chemyst, I think Arthur raised a tomboy! LPO

frogface - Mar 28, 2007 1:38 am (#247 of 249)

I think both Arthur and Molly would be delighted to know that Harry and Ginny have feelings for each other. I think Arthur will probably mind his own business though. Molly may be a bit more interfering, but I doubt she'd ever sit Harry down and give him "a good talking to" about her daughter. She may do that with any other boy she met that Ginny dated, but not Harry.

totyle - Mar 28, 2007 6:35 pm (#248 of 249)

LOL! I think Molly and Arthur will probably make Ginny sit down and give HER a good talking to instead of to Harry!! "Look after that boy he's been through a lot and don't even think of doing your BBH on him when you get into an argument!"

M A Grimmett - Apr 7, 2007 12:59 pm (#249 of 249)

I don't think there's anyone the Weasleys would prefer Ginny to be with than Harry--he's an honorary Weasley anyway. Mrs Weasley would love to have him for a real son so she's probably got no objections. Dunno how they're going to feel about Harry not wanting to go back to Hogwarts--he'll probably never get a Ministry job without the full education!
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Arthur Weasley Empty Re: Arthur Weasley

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down