HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would your name your post owl if you had one?

Go down

What would your name your post owl if you had one?  Empty What would your name your post owl if you had one?

Post  Elanor Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:43 am

Survey: What would your name your post owl if you had one? (10/30/09-11/8/09) )

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

freshwater - Oct 30, 2009 7:46 am
Edited by Potteraholic Mar 26, 2010 12:26 pm

A recent discussion on the chat thread led me to wonder what I would name my post owl...which of course led to my wondering what other HP Lex forumers would name their post owls.

Let's list them here, and then I'll create a poll for the "best postal association", "funniest", "most appropriate for size/appearance/type of owl"....or maybe you have better ideas for categories? Please share!

Edited to reformat the date in the title, from Oct. 30 -- Nov. 8, 2009 to 10/30/09-11/8/09, for uniformity's sake.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

What would your name your post owl if you had one?  Empty What would your name your post owl if you had one? (Post 1 to 29)

Post  Elanor Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:44 am

John Bumbledore - Oct 30, 2009 8:30 am (#1 of 29)
I think I would call my owl, Whisper-Wings.

I first considered Glimfeather, then Clif Claven or Mr. McFeely but they didn't make the final cut.

--John <)B^D˜

Well, I don't know that I've ever made post #1 before. Swift-Wing may have been a better idea, but my owl is quite quiet.

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Oct 30, 2009 8:36 am (#2 of 29)

I would call her Iris.

Iris, like Hermes, was a messenger in Greek mythology. From wiki: "In Greek mythology, Iris (?ñéò) is the personification of the rainbow and messenger of the gods. As the sun unites Earth and heaven, Iris links the gods to humanity. She travels with the speed of wind from one end of the world to the other, and into the depths of the sea and the underworld."

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Oct 30, 2009 8:38 am (#3 of 29)

Max. If Max is the number one dog name it is good enough for my owl as well;

- - - - - - - - - -
journeymom - Oct 30, 2009 9:08 am (#4 of 29)

Little Ghost, maybe?

[blush] I've actually already put some thought into this. See my email address, behind my avatar.

A western screech owl lives in our back yard. I thought it was a northern saw-whet, hence my email address, but after listening to recordings of the screech owl's 'hoot' I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Megascops&species=kennicottii

Audrey, in the Percy Jackson series the demi-god students communicate by Iris message, like a pay-phone. Percy finds a rainbow (even the spray of a fountain), throws a drachma through it and asks Iris to connect him to whomever.

- - - - - - - - - -
me and my shadow 813 - Oct 30, 2009 11:39 am (#5 of 29)

I would definitely get a Snowy Owl and name him Sasha. I have a thing about the Arctic Circle, and Sasha is a name I use frequently when writing stories. I love it for a boy or girl

- - - - - - - - - -
legolas returns - Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm (#6 of 29)

I would call mine Royal Mail . If he was in the huff with me he would be on strike as the muggle equivalent is at the moment.

- - - - - - - - - -
Potteraholic - Oct 30, 2009 12:47 pm (#7 of 29)

Dear freshwater,

Great idea for a survey, freshwater! I would name my post owl, Zephyr, a name I used for Harry and Ginny's owl in a recent Five Words story.

I would want him to fly like the wind!

BTW #2, I do intend to polish of the existing polls....soon... ~ freshwater - Oct 30, 2009 6:50 am , #2312, Questions for the Host(s) thread

freshwater, I hope you don't mind, but I tallied the results of the 2 last polls in mid-September. The results are here and here.

- - - - - - - - - -
azi - Oct 30, 2009 1:40 pm (#8 of 29)

at Legolas!

I'm tempted to call mine 'Twit' as in 'T'wit t'woo'. Then the name has a double meaning; the noise an owl makes and an idiot. Kinda Weasleyish methinks (like Pigwidgeon > Pig).

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Oct 30, 2009 6:17 pm (#9 of 29)

freshwater, I hope you don't mind, but I tallied the results of the 2 last polls in mid-September.--PAH

Mind? Mind!? Are you afflicted with nargles!? Of course I don't mind! One thing that has been keeping me from starting any new polls is the feeling that I MUST first finish up the old ones....I'd forgotten that you'd done that earlier....THANK YOU!

BTW, I haven't had a chance to give much thought to my own owl name yet.....but I will this weekend.

EDIT: I just did a search for synonyms for "mail" and have several inspirations: Traveler, Bequeath (it's a synonym for transmit and I could call him "Beaky"), Etta (because ETA --meaning Estimated Time of Arrival-- is an adjective related to 'arrival'; or Billet which is a synonym for 'correspondence' and I could call him Bill.

Hmmmmm....decisions, decisions.....I really like Traveler, but I think I'll go with Etta, partly because I like the silliness of the association. All the others are up for grabs, if anyone wants to use one of them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Puck - Oct 30, 2009 7:33 pm (#10 of 29)

Hmm, I'll need to think on this one. (A bit tired at the moment.) My puppy names are either Neville or Lola, so I could use those. Son doesn't have an idea, though just before I found out about this thread, he was watching Harry and saying how cool it would to have an owl for a pet. (I told him it would eat his sister's hamster.)

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Oct 31, 2009 6:37 am (#11 of 29)

"...he was watching Harry and saying how cool it would to have an owl for a pet. (I told him it would eat his sister's hamster.)--Puck

And did he see that as an added advantage of having a owl?

I don't mean to imply that you son is a Slytherin, just that that seems like a typical brother/sister reaction.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Oct 31, 2009 8:59 am (#12 of 29)

I'm hopeless at this sort of thing. I'd probably be like Thom and pick a bog-standard dog name like Fido or Beau or something...

My first thought was Icarus but then I remembered how that turned out, so maybe not...

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Oct 31, 2009 4:13 pm (#13 of 29)

Come on Madam P....you're entitled to name your owl anything you want! There is NO wrong answer to this one.

- - - - - - - - - -
Dryleaves - Nov 1, 2009 3:18 am (#14 of 29)

Hmm... Maybe I would get myself an Eagle owl and call it Scowl.

- - - - - - - - - -
kingdolohov - Nov 1, 2009 2:31 pm (#15 of 29)

Stanley Allison

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Nov 1, 2009 6:42 pm (#16 of 29)

I'd name my post owl Fred-X.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Nov 1, 2009 8:59 pm (#17 of 29)

"Fred-X" ROTFLOL!!!! Choices, it took me a moment to get that one....you're priceless!

- - - - - - - - - -
Puck - Nov 2, 2009 7:59 am (#18 of 29)

Good one, Choices!

Freshwater, Son actually likes the hamster, so he wouldn't want it to be anyone's dinner, even if it does belong to his sister.

How about Sarah, Percy and Bill? Those are the owls in the Owl Babies book. Coincidence that 2 of them also are the names of Molly's children. (Or maybe not. JKR is a mom, so she's likely read the story.)

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Nov 2, 2009 12:13 pm (#19 of 29)

I'd call it mus. It might have an identity crisis but I love the name. Once on Portobello Road I found an old print out of an encyclopedia with lots of different mice on it and it had the title "mus". That was so cute!

- - - - - - - - - -
legolas returns - Nov 2, 2009 1:25 pm (#20 of 29)

Hee Hee!* Choices.

- - - - - - - - - -
journeymom - Nov 3, 2009 9:27 am (#21 of 29)

Kingdolohov, what does Stanley Allison refer to?

- - - - - - - - - -
kingdolohov - Nov 3, 2009 6:22 pm (#22 of 29)

Stanley Allison is the name of a running back I had on NCAA Football 2004. He was part of the first recruiting class a friend and I had on the game, and he went on to become the greatest computer generated player I've seen on any of the sports video games I've played (and I've played through hundreds of seasons across a dozen different games). He was a legend and when he graduated we stood and clapped for a good two minutes.

I feel like I need to honor this fake man in someway. If I ever have a son, I will name him after Stanley Allison, pending my wife's approval of course. Worst case scenario, there is going to be a cat named Stanley Allison curled up on the couch.

- - - - - - - - - -
Thom Matheson - Nov 4, 2009 11:10 am (#23 of 29)

Great "Choice", Choices

- - - - - - - - - -
HungarianHorntail11 - Nov 4, 2009 3:35 pm (#24 of 29)

I'm torn between He Who Must Deliver Posts and Zippy. (I never did get that pet hamster I wanted when I was young, *sniffle* )

Based on experience, I'd definitely stay away from the name "Tonks". (He would give Errol a run for his money!)

I posted before I read any of the other suggestions: LOL Choices! Fred-X I love it!

Kathy, how funny that you mentioned an owl and a hamster in your post and I did, too. What are the odds!

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Nov 8, 2009 9:40 pm (#25 of 29)

Ok here is the list of names for our post owls:

John Bumbledore………………………………….Whisper-Wings, a very quiet owl
Elanor……………………………………………………Hermes, a messenger in Greek mythology
Thom Matheson…………………………………..Max, the number one name for dogs
Journeymom……………………………………….Little Ghost
Me and my shadow 813……………………..Sasha, a Snowy Owl
Legolas returns…………………………………..Royal Mail, so he can go on strike when he’s in a huff
Potterholic………………………………………….Zephyr
Azi……………………………………………………..T’wit, as in t’wit t’woo
Freshwater……………………………………….Etta, from ETA: Estimated Time of Arrival
Madam Pince…………………………………Beau or Fido, a bog-standard name
Dryleaves…………………………………………Scowl, the Eagle owl
Kingdolohov…………………………………….Stanley Allison, a computer-generated running back on his NCAA Football 2004 game
Choices……………………………………………..Fred-X
Orion…………………………………………………mus, meaning mice…..I suppose you are what you eat…..
Hungarian Horntail…………………………..He Who Must Deliver Posts or Zippy

I will set up a couple of polls about these names within the next couple of days. Right now the categories I'm considering are "Favorite Owlish Name"; "Favorite Mail-related Name"; "Most Creative Name".....unless someone has any other or better suggestions? Please feel free to suggest something else!

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Nov 8, 2009 11:02 pm (#26 of 29)

Freshwater, I thought of Hermes but it was already taken so I suggested Iris instead (who was the same kind of messenger god).

I've thought of another one too btw: O-Wing (the crossing of an owl and an X-Wing ).

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Nov 9, 2009 6:58 am (#27 of 29)

I asked Little Pince last night, and he immediately said "Hoot-Hoot." (But if he heard Elanor's idea of O-Wing, I'm sure he'd go for that, being the Star Wars fiend that he is... )

- - - - - - - - - -
Potteraholic - Nov 9, 2009 7:26 am (#28 of 29)

freshwater,

Would you mind adding the following descriptor, which I included in my earlier post, when you post the survey: Zephyr, so he can fly like the wind.

Don't think anyone will pick it — I like some other ones better, myself — just like having a description next to it. Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Nov 14, 2009 7:52 pm (#29 of 29)

Connections, speculation, discussion: the best part of HP reading! Check out the on-going HP Lex Forum series re-read! Currently reading GoF...
Thanks for the corrections and suggestions.....poll coming soon...
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down