HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here

Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:00 pm

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing, which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. It was copied/saved by Julia H. and reformatted/reposted by Potteraholic. ~Potteraholic

S.E. Jones - Nov 21, 2006 1:07 am
Edited Jan 3, 2007 4:28 pm

This thread is here so that members can suggest poll questions for future votes.

This thread is for poll suggestions, not chatting. Posts that are too chatty will be deleted and the corresponding members will be emailed, a warning will also be posted to this thread. If any chatting continues, the thread will be closed. Too much chatting makes it difficult for Hosts to recognize what the suggested poll is and what suggestions for its improvement have been made. This isn't any different from any other book discussion thread, so let's play by the rules and have fun.

Guidelines for suggesting a poll are as follows:

1. The title of the poll (Optional)

2. Any background information that would assist the voters in their decisions

3. The question for the voters

4. Each of the one-line answers of which the voters can select

5. Any other helpful information

Posts that improve a suggestion are not considered chat-type; however please be specific in which poll suggestion you are attempting to improve. If you have any questions, feel free to email me with the email address listed in my profile.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #1 to #25

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 pm

S.E. Jones - Nov 27, 2006 2:22 pm (#1 of 351)

Any suggestions for new polls?

Finn BV - Nov 27, 2006 4:03 pm (#2 of 351)

Liz Mann made a suggestion on the old poll suggestions thread for Best Thread Ever (even if it's deleted, archived, condensed, whatever?). Since you submit your own answer in words, this is much more practical without the vote function.

Finn BV - Nov 27, 2006 4:06 pm (#3 of 351)

I also want to mention: the first poll I suggested, about guessing what will be cut from the OoP movie, only one of the 7 options I provided, Quidditch, will be cut from the movie ? everything else is appearing! That's saying something for WB!

S.E. Jones - Nov 28, 2006 4:01 am (#4 of 351)

Hm, a good idea, Finn. I'm still trying to work out all the bugs for the new voting rules, function, etc., though. What about something more along the lines of favorite thread category?

Finn BV - Nov 28, 2006 5:18 pm (#5 of 351)

That's fine with me too. Just throwing out some suggestions.

juliebug - Nov 30, 2006 9:32 am (#6 of 351)

Could we have a favorite bad guy poll? There have been many characters in the last six books who are not good. From the evil Voldemort to the merely irritating Pansy Parkinson.

John Bumbledore - Dec 7, 2006 10:09 am (#7 of 351)

1. The title of the poll: "Wizengamot Trial: Severus Snape."

2. Background: You have been selected to sit on the Wizengamot, the evidence and witnesses have been presented in the form of the six Harry Potter Books.

3. The question: The charge is being a supporter of the dark lord. How do you find, guilty or not guilty?

4. A) Guilty, B) Not Guilty.

5. Whether you want your username identified on the Forum with this poll? Sure, what could it hurt?

6. In the event of a Guilty verdict, the next poll could be the sentence handed down.

John Bumbledore <)B^D?

Mrs Brisbee - Dec 7, 2006 3:46 pm (#8 of 351)

I like John Bumbledore's suggestion-- as long as there a thread available to post why I chose to vote the way I did. I really curious to see what everyone else would say on the matter.

Thom Matheson - Dec 7, 2006 5:07 pm (#9 of 351)

A, guilty. Once a Slytherin "Prince", always. No one stops being a Death Eater.

I am assuming that John's idea is a good poll to start, Sarah and I wanted to finally be the first to post something.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Dec 7, 2006 8:32 pm (#10 of 351)

A. Guilty. Even he was acting on DD's orders, there are some orders you do not obey.

Esther Rose - Dec 8, 2006 1:53 pm (#11 of 351)

I would have to say

c) Wizardslaughter

I would advise the prosecution not to put Snape on trial due to inconclusive evidence.

If the defense could show that the students at Hogwarts on the night in question would have been in more danger had Snape not killed Dumbledore.

Or

If the defense could show that on the night in question Snape used the AK curse as a last resort to destroy the Necklace Horcrux hanging around Dumbledore's neck.

Then I would consider going a bit lenient on Snape. If the defense cannot make these claims, I say to the Dementors with Snape.

S.E. Jones - Dec 8, 2006 2:49 pm (#12 of 351)

A very interesting idea, John. I'm going to start trying to put together some new polls either today or tomorrow. Our first poll (Which would you rather have right now?) closes on the 12th and the second (How do you like your polls?) has been extended to the 18th as it is, in my opinion, a very important question, giving we're trying to decide all the details with the Vote folder. I'd really appreciate it if people could spread the word that the Vote folder is operating again as I'd like to know what more of our membership thinks in regards to polling.

P.S. Please try to keep in mind this thread is only for suggestion and discussion of suggestion (as in improvements to), not for actual voting. You can do that when the poll opens officially under the voting area.

Thom Matheson - Dec 8, 2006 2:57 pm (#13 of 351)

So I guess I'm not first. RATS.

geauxtigers - Dec 9, 2006 9:04 pm (#14 of 351)

Since you'd like more input into the polls...I'm all for it! I missed out on it the before as I wasn't a member!

I like John's poll question too. I'm torn between what I think Snape is. I shall wait for the poll to come out before voting though!

rambkowalczyk - Dec 9, 2006 9:10 pm (#15 of 351)

- Do you think Peter Pettigrew will help Harry Potter in Book 7?

1. yes, he will have a change of heart

2. yes, but only because the life debt forces him to act

3. no, it is possible to ignore a life debt and Peter will remain Voldemort's man

- Will Harry or Hermione forgive Marietta for the betrayal in book 5?

1. yes, Marietta will apologize.

2. no, Marietta still makes excuses for her actions

3. We will discover that Marietta was not as culpable as Harry believed her to be

4. Issue is irrelevant; Marietta won't be in book 7.

Thom Matheson - Dec 9, 2006 9:22 pm (#16 of 351)

Awesome question about Marietta.

rambkowalczyk - Dec 10, 2006 8:46 pm (#17 of 351)

If I could expand on John Bumbledore’s suggestion. In the real world there are varying degrees of guilt, so I think in the Wizengamot there should be the same.

1. Not guilty. This would mean that Dumbledore was already 'dead' when Snape AK'd him or that what we thought we saw didn't happen. In any case Dumbledore did not die as a result of what Snape did.

2. guilty but was ordered by Dumbledore or condoned by Dumbledore. This would cover Dumbledore ordered it, because if he didn't Draco and Harry would be in more danger with Snape dead as a result of the Unbreakable Vow. It could also cover instances where "there are things worse than death". and that Snape killing Dumbledore prevented a more evil thing.

3. guilty, but not premeditated. This would cover theories that Dumbledore and Snape were doing everything to avoid making the third part of the Vow relevant and it went wrong. It would cover the possibility that Snape originally planned to die but at the last minute changed his mind. This also means that Dumbledore did not condone this action.

4. Guilty, and premeditated. This would mean that he wanted Dumbledore dead from the beginning. He wouldn't necessarily have killed him, but would allow Draco to kill him.

I deliberately avoided whether or not he feels sorrow or regret at what he does, because those emotions are more relevant in the sentencing phase than in determining guilt.

S.E. Jones - Dec 10, 2006 9:29 pm (#18 of 351)

I think that would technically classify as a separate trial, ramb, as John's question was whether or not Snape was a Voldemort supporter. Still, it would make another good poll. I'll add it to the list of polls I've been assembling. Good suggestion.

Liz Mann - Dec 19, 2006 12:06 pm (#19 of 351)

Since a lot of people outside the fandom are talking about it now - critics, directors, Dan Radcliffe etc - I think we should have a poll on whether or not Harry will die, with 'yes', 'no', 'not sure but I'm kind of nervous', 'not sure but I'm quietly confident' and 'I'm completely torn' as the possible answers.

Pamzter - Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm (#20 of 351)

Is there any way to include the closing date of the poll in its title in the forum menu? It would help me manage my time at the site better. Sometimes I only have a few seconds to breeze thru the thread titles on the site. By the time I get back to comment the polls close. Thanks!

TomProffitt - Dec 28, 2006 8:24 pm (#21 of 351)

I'd like a "Where's Trelawney?" poll.

A number of posters have pointed out the possible kidnapping of Professor Trelawney by the Death Eaters Malfoy let into Hogwarts.

Possible answers: Safe at the School, Held Captive by Tom Riddle, Murdered by the Death Eaters, What the heck is this Theory anyway? and Having Tea with Firenze.

I'm curious as to how the forum readers as a whole feel about the theory.

TomProffitt - Dec 28, 2006 9:04 pm (#22 of 351)

Too late to Edit.

Some other poll ideas:

What was Malfoy's Task?

Did Severus Snape know Malfoy's Task when he took the Vow? (Or was he just guessing?)

Who will be Head Boy in DH?

What House was Trelawney in? (I think she was Slytherin myself, but I got thrashed in debate on that one a year or two ago)

S.E. Jones - Dec 30, 2006 7:11 pm (#23 of 351)

Pamzter, I'll see what I can do about the titles and closing dates.

Pamzter - Dec 31, 2006 10:59 pm (#24 of 351)

Thanks SE, it's fabulous!

virginiaelizabeth - Jan 2, 2007 10:22 pm (#25 of 351)

Adding on to what Tom suggested..

What was Malfoy's original task?

a.) To Kill Dumbledore B.) To find a way to get the DE into Hogwarts C.) To Kidnap Trelawney D.) I have no idea

If there are any other theories about it floating around out there, we could put those in too.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #26 to #50

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Finn BV - Jan 2, 2007 11:22 pm (#26 of 351)

Is there a place where we can discuss the results of the poll? I'm rather intrigued by some of them.

TomProffitt - Jan 3, 2007 5:11 am (#27 of 351)

"Is there a place where we can discuss the results of the poll? I'm rather intrigued by some of them." ---Finn BV

I agree with Finn. Don't know if it would be better to reopen the poll thread or start a second thread with the poll results in the original post. I don't know if all of the polls will favor discussion, but I think some would.

S.E. Jones - Jan 3, 2007 5:25 pm (#28 of 351)

Finn, Tom, there is now a place to discuss poll results for any and all polls. Just list the poll and results you want to discuss and begin.

Liz Mann - Jan 8, 2007 10:30 am (#29 of 351)

How about:

What do you think you'll be doing on the night Deathly Hallows is released?

a) Going to bed early so that you can be up to get your copy as soon as the shops open in the morning/start reading as soon as your pre-ordered copy arrives.

b) Standing in line at midnight outside your local bookstore

c) Launch party with fellow Potter fans you know

d) Wherever J.K. is

e) You don't know because you probably won't buy it straight away

Finn BV - Jan 8, 2007 9:32 pm (#30 of 351)

This is a random question which came about after reading a quote from JKR at the World Book Day Chat.

She says we will see Krum again, but not soon. Well, there's only one more book for him to reappear, so what will the context be?

A: He will help Harry in the search for Horcruxes/battle vs. Lord Voldemort

B: He'll be at Hogwarts, teaching or for some other wizarding affair.

C: He'll be working at the Ministry of Magic.

D: His role will be minor.

E: Krum won't reappear, JKR's changed her plans since she spoke.

I'd appreciate more suggestions for choices; I couldn't think of any more but I'm sure others have their own thoughts.

Anna L. Black - Jan 9, 2007 3:14 am (#31 of 351)

Is Harry a Horcrux?

A. Yes, he is.

B. Almost - his scar is one.

C. No, he isn't.

D. I'm torn

etc.

geauxtigers - Jan 10, 2007 4:24 pm (#32 of 351)

Which character are you most like?

A. Harry

B. Ron

C. Hermione

D. Draco

E. Luna

F. Neville

G. Fred or George

We could add characters too, if there is others that I've missed. It's a bit cheesy, but just a thought, came to me when I waited till the last minute to do my homework. I'm definitely most like Ron! LOL

Thom Matheson - Jan 10, 2007 9:16 pm (#33 of 351)

Sarah, I would like to see who posters believe will lead the Order of the Phoenix.

A. McGonagall
B. Tonks
C. Lupin
D. Bill Weasley
E. Harry
F. Not crucial in the 7th book
G. Disbanded

TomProffitt - Jan 10, 2007 10:00 pm (#34 of 351)

I like your question, Thom, but I think we need a bigger list as there are so many possibilities. It might be better if the question were fill in the blank rather than multiple choice, with a list of some of the more likely candidates a possibility. I think Arthur Weasley & Mad Eye Moody belong on that list (I'd probably vote Moody myself), & what about Kingsley?

Great question Thom.

juliebug - Jan 11, 2007 6:35 am (#35 of 351)

I really like Thom's question too. I would also like to add Aberforth Dumbledore to the list of possible leaders. I think he will be stepping up and playing a bigger role in Deathly Hallows, and this could be just the right place for him to start.

Madame Pomfrey - Jan 11, 2007 3:07 pm (#36 of 351)

I second Anna's horcrux/scar question. Thom's too!

Finn BV - Jan 11, 2007 6:59 pm (#37 of 351)

Not entirely sure yet if I would vote for it, but I would add that the OoP might be co-led; they wouldn't elect a leader.

Madame Pomfrey - Jan 12, 2007 4:20 pm (#38 of 351)

How about what DH refers to.:

A. The burial place of the founders

B. The remaining horcruxes

C. The hallowed halls of Hogwarts

D. Something new that hasn't yet been introduced.

I know I'm missing some popular ideas. so feel free to add on.

Chemyst - Jan 16, 2007 4:13 pm (#39 of 351)

RE: Finn's earlier question about seeing Krum again

I don't think we should skip the possibility that he may be playing professional Quidditch.

Since Finn asked for more suggestions, I'd like to see the answers reworked to a combination geographical location and fill-in-the-blank; such as:

A. He'll be in Bulgaria but ___.

B. He will come to Hogwarts because ___.

C. He'll be on a Quidditch tour elsewhere in Britain and ___.

D. Krum won't reappear, JKR's changed her plans since she spoke.

There are so many possibilities that an open-ended answer choice would work better.

painting sheila- Jan 16, 2007 11:41 pm (#40 of 351)

Can we have a favorite magical creature poll?

Have everyone list theirs and just tally it out?

There are so many - I don't think we could list them all, but it might be interesting to see who likes what and why.

She

painting sheila- Jan 17, 2007 8:33 pm (#41 of 351)

Have you done and "Will Harry return to Hogwarts?" poll? I know there is a thread of that nature, but it might be fun to see the numbers crunched.

She

Liz Mann - Jan 20, 2007 7:02 am (#42 of 351)

I like that idea. The possible answers could be things like, "He'll go back as a student during the book", "He'll go back as a student but not until after he's defeated Voldemort", "He'll go back but not as a student" and "He'll never go back".

painting sheila- Jan 21, 2007 12:12 pm (#43 of 351)

Great idea, Liz Mann!!

Good Evans - Jan 26, 2007 6:33 am (#44 of 351)

How about - who does Snape see in a Foe Glass?

options - DD / LV / Sirius and James / Harry

Mattew Bates - Jan 26, 2007 12:22 pm (#45 of 351)

I would want to be able to pick more than one answer on your suggested list, Good Evans - although I could argue that while he may have once seen Dumbledore, he certainly cannot now. Perhaps Scrimgeour could be added to that list?

Finn BV - Jan 27, 2007 12:09 pm (#46 of 351)

Sarah, would Chemyst's suggestion be too difficult to instate, since it's not entirely multiple choice? If so, we could just drop the blanks and simply pick up the interesting feedback that people write in their posts.

S.E. Jones - Jan 27, 2007 6:18 pm (#47 of 351)

Finn, I'm still thinking over Chemyst's suggestion. I'll have to get back to you both.

EDIT: Finn, I looked through my lists of poll suggestions and I already have the multiple-choice answers you had suggested. I think they will be a lot easier to tally than Chemyst's suggestions for answers.

Chemyst - Jan 31, 2007 3:28 pm (#48 of 351)

SE, the way I meant it, all you'd really have to do is tally the A, B, C, etc. as usual. But by phrasing the questions that way it would encourage a lot more discussion.

Esther Rose - Feb 1, 2007 12:31 pm (#49 of 351)

A couple of fun guessing questions could be...

1) Where in the world is Lord Voldemort?
a) Romania
b) Azkaban
c) Little Hangleton
d) Camping out at the graveyard
e) Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts
f) #4 Privet Drive
g) Within the Hogwarts castle (Chamber of Secrets)

and

2) What will Voldemort do next?
a) Figure out the Prior Incantatem from GOF.
b) A wee bit of kidnapping one of Harry's closest mates.
c) Put Percy under the Imperius Curse.
d) Play chess with Snape.
e) Torture the Malfoys.
f) Nurse another Basilisk.
g) Announce his reign as the Greatest Wizard in the World now that Dumbledore is dead.

Of course multiple-choice answers can vary.

Luna Logic - Feb 1, 2007 12:44 pm (#50 of 351)

For Madam Pomfrey’s #38 poll: How about what DH refers to.

A. The burial place of the founders
B. The remaining horcruxes
C. The hallowed halls of Hogwarts
D. Something new that hasn't yet been introduced
I will add: X. Another burial place.

For Esther Rose’s poll #1:

Where in the world is Lord Voldemort?
a) Romania
b) Azkaban
c) Little Hangleton
d) Camping out at the Graveyard
e) Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts
f) #4 Privet Drive
g) Within the Hogwarts Castle (Chamber of Secrets)
I will propose to add h) in his long-hidden residence

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #51 to #75

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:12 pm

painting sheila- Feb 1, 2007 7:54 pm (#51 of 351)

How about:

What is the biggest secret you think will be revealed in Deathly Hallows?

A) What James and Lily did for a living.
B) The significance of the Love Room at the DoM.
C) What part Neville has in the prophecy.
D) Is Snape evil or good and why.
E) Who will do magic "late in life"?
F) Some thing we haven't even thought of yet.

Luna Logic - Feb 2, 2007 5:01 am (#52 of 351)
Edited by Feb 2, 2007 4:02 am

To add to your poll, painting sheila, the following question

X. Why the "slow sad song about a dying wizard named Odo" was crucial.

(see the Odin-worship Thread to day...journeymom, "Odin-worship and Harry’s Scar" #28)

painting sheila- Feb 2, 2007 5:56 pm (#53 of 351)

Great! I know there are lots better questions than what I posted - I was hoping all of you would come through!

Also, I thought about "what we will discover about Petunia and Lily's parents."

"Snape's lineage"

“Harry's lineage"

painting sheila- Feb 3, 2007 10:44 pm (#54 of 351)

I am second-guessing my questions -

"What really happened at Godric's Hollow the night Harry's parents were killed?"

"What happened to Dumbledore's hand? Why was it charred?"

"What is the history behind the Sorting Hat?"

I will try and stop now . . .

She

virginiaelizabeth - Feb 4, 2007 11:57 am (#55 of 351)

"What happened to Dumbledore's hand? Why was it charred?"

The ring-horcrux was cursed so when Dumbledore touched it, his hand became charred and dead-looking. Snape stopped the rapid spread of the curse, which kept Dumbledore alive.

Good Evans - Feb 4, 2007 12:08 pm (#56 of 351)

May I suggest..... Will you look at the last page of DH to see If Harry is still alive, before finishing the story??

Options:

a- yes i can't help myself

a- yes, I wont be able to enjoy the story unless I know

c- no, are you crazy?????

d- no I don’t want it to end and the last sentence needs to be savoured

juliebug - Feb 4, 2007 12:14 pm (#57 of 351)

Who do you think was spared in the edited version of the final chapter of Deathly Hallows? Who did she change her mind about and decide to kill off?

journeymom - Feb 12, 2007 10:46 am (#58 of 351)

Good Evans, that's a great suggestion.

What degree of esteem, if any, did Severus have for Lily?

A- He was obsessively in love with her.

B- He was infatuated with her.

C- He respected her but had no romantic feelings for her.

D- He felt nothing in particular for her.

E- He meant it when he called her a filthy little Mudblood.

F- None of the above, he gave his heart to Petunia.

The above word now always reminds of Elinor Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility: "I do not attempt to deny that I think very highly of him - that I greatly esteem him... I like him. " Such fevered words!

S.E. Jones - Feb 23, 2007 1:43 am (#59 of 351)

I need some suggestions for 'ships that never quite happened. Anyone?....

Good Evans - Feb 23, 2007 9:34 am (#60 of 351)

Hermione and Draco - go on you know he fancies her!

Blaise and Ginny - comment on the train from Pansy

Tonks and Sirius - Harry sure thought so!

Tom Riddle and Myrtle - yeah, like all that Heir of Slytherin stuff was why he followed her in to the bathroom!!!

Neville and Luna - JKR has scotched - but wouldn't they have been sweet?

ok they are a little far out - but most of them have a passing nod to the books in some way...

hope this is some help Sarah.

Julie

journeymom - Feb 23, 2007 2:50 pm (#61 of 351)

Ships that never quite happened: Snape and Petunia! (See my poll suggestion above.)

Neville and Susan Bones. (I know, there's not a shred of canon, but it's been suggested before.)

Mrs Brisbee - Feb 23, 2007 3:23 pm (#62 of 351)

Neville and Hermione-- he did ask her out to the Yule Ball.

And if we are including 'ships with no canon evidence, then Neville and Parvati. Pansy Parkinson's snide comments to her when she stuck up for Neville in PS/SS made me want to see this ship happen!

John Bumbledore - Feb 26, 2007 1:51 pm (#63 of 351)

Did no one suggest Neville and Ginny? They went to the Yule Ball together.

sstabeler - Feb 26, 2007 2:52 pm (#64 of 351)

for ships that didn't work out:

Hagrid/McGonagall (the kiss/blush scene)

Ron/Rosmerta (after all, he is said in canon to always be trying to catch Rosmerta's eye in POA and GOF, and with the comment on the joke in HBP.)

Esther Rose - Feb 27, 2007 10:37 am (#65 of 351)

How about

"Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak"

Is there a secret message here?

1) Yes! It's the passwords to get through the various doors to the Founder's Hall.

2) Yes! It's a secret spell Dumbledore conjured to put extra protection on Harry while he was at Hogwarts.

3) Yes. But I don't know what it could mean.

4) No. They're just random words silly.

sstabeler - Feb 27, 2007 12:44 pm (#66 of 351)

What Founder’s Hall? and spells are Latin.

Luna Logic - Feb 27, 2007 1:20 pm (#67 of 351)

The Founders’ Halls where the Deathly Hallows are hidden!

Spells are in Latin: yes, but as Dumbledore could do non-verbal spells, he could have done these masked spells! (But I'm already discussing this poll...)

journeymom - Feb 27, 2007 2:46 pm (#68 of 351)

The spells are faux Latin.

Elanor - Feb 28, 2007 9:43 am (#69 of 351)

About "Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak", what about also:

"Yes, they are veiled clues given by JKR to the reader."

It was the sudden stop that killed him (sob) - Mar 25, 2007 2:21 pm (#70 of 351)

Sorry if this has already been suggested, but I haven't read all of the posts. I don't mean to steal John Bumbledore’s idea, but I thought something like it would be cool.

1. Title: "Wizengamot: Bartholomew Crouch Jr."

2. Background: You are a member of the Wizengamot, the witnesses and evidence have been presented.

3. The question: the charge is conjuring the Cruciatus curse on the Longbottoms, interrogating them to obtain Ministry of Magic information, and intending to deliver the information to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. How do you find.

4. (a) guilty (b) not guilty (c) guilty but was under the influence of the Imperius curse.

5. In the event of a guilty verdict, sentence could be handed down.

p. s. Really liked your idea, John Bumbledore

geauxtigers - Mar 25, 2007 6:50 pm (#71 of 351)

Nit-picky alert! It’s Bartemius, not Bartholomew!

I dunno about doing that particular person for that poll either, we know he is guilty, he was given Veritaserum in GoF, so there’s no question that we'd all vote guilty. And he received a Dementor's kiss, so he no longer has a life so to speak. I'm not trying to shoot down the poll, I just think the person you are having it about isn't going to hold much water.

freshwater - Mar 26, 2007 2:33 pm (#72 of 351)

Having just read through this thread for the first time, let me endorse Finn's suggestion in post #30 (What will Krum's role be in book 7?), and Chemyst's additions in post #39. Also, I'd revise the one answer: "he'll play a minor role" by adding "his only purpose in the story will be to aggravate Ron".

For a new poll, I'd like to suggest "Who or what will be Harry's new pet?"

A) Fawkes

B) some other phoenix

C) Buckbeak/Whitherwings

D) The Giant Squid

E) a thestral

F) a cat...the better to eat Peter P.

G) a dog...like Snuffles

H) some other creature we have not yet met in the series

Anna L. Black - Mar 27, 2007 1:30 pm (#73 of 351)

A Crumpled-Horned Snorkack? LOL

freshwater - Mar 27, 2007 6:11 pm (#74 of 351)

Uh, Anna, I think that would fall under "H"! :D

Maybe we should add a Pygmy puff.

Madam Pince - Mar 28, 2007 12:57 pm (#75 of 351)

Which is your favorite version of the cover art for Deathly Hallows:

A. U.K. Children's version

B. U.K. Adult version

C. U.S. version

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #76 to #100

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:13 pm

geauxtigers - Mar 28, 2007 2:34 pm (#76 of 351)

Where do you think Harry and Voldemort are on the US Cover?

A. Godric's Hollow

B. The Love Room

C. Somewhere else

And I'd love it if people would add more places, those are just the starters, I know there is more and I can't remember some of the others mentioned on the DH thread.

Then we could do:

Where do you think the Trio are on the UK Children's Cover?

A. Veil

B. Gringotts

C. Somewhere else

Again we can I'm sure, add more to this as well.

freshwater - Mar 29, 2007 10:05 am (#77 of 351)

Both of those are great suggestions, geauxtigers! For the poll about the location for the U.S. cover, I think we should add "the room with the veil." The amphitheater feel of the background, and the ragged bottoms of the curtains on each end of the cover just remind me of that.

geauxtigers - Mar 29, 2007 4:42 pm (#78 of 351)

Ahh! You're right, freshwater! I knew I was missing something big!

I thought of some others for both of them we could put:

D. Somewhere in or at Hogwarts

E. The Room of Requirement

For the US cover:

F. Little Hangleton (maybe not the same place as the graveyard scene, but who knows, it’s got some strong Riddle ties in that village)

I had another for the UK kids’ cover, but alas, earwax, a Wrackspurt must've flown through as I can't remember!

Ludicrous Patents Office - Apr 4, 2007 7:39 pm (#79 of 351)

For the UK cover: Godric Gryffindor's vault or secret chamber.

LPO.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Apr 4, 2007 7:42 pm (#80 of 351)

Jo says on her website that DH is her favorite book. What is your favorite book and why?

a. PS/SS

b. CoS

C. PoA

d. GoF

e. OotP

f. HBP

g. I can't pick a favorite.

LPO

Esther Rose - Apr 5, 2007 7:43 am (#81 of 351)

How about

Crucio, Imperio, Avada Kedavra

Who is most likely to suffer from each of the Unforgivables?

A. Harry

B. Hermione

C. Ron

D. Ginny

E. Luna

F. Neville

G. Snape

H. Draco

I. One of the other Weasleys.

J. A Hogwarts Professor

K. One of the other members of the Order

L. A member of the Death Eaters

M. One of the other Hogwarts students

N. Someone else Harry knows in the Wizarding World.

virginiaelizabeth - Apr 9, 2007 10:46 pm (#82 of 351)

I think we should add Lord Voldemort as an option too.

mona amon - Apr 11, 2007 6:45 am (#83 of 351)

I really like LPO's suggestion (post #80). I'd love to see which book gets voted as the general favourite.

freshwater - Apr 13, 2007 1:00 pm (#84 of 351)

Are all 3 Unforgivable Curses equally evil?

A) No, Avada Kedavra is worse than Imperio and Crucio.

B) No, Imperio s worse than Avada Kedavra and Crucio.

C) No, Crucio is worse than Avada Kedavra and Imperio.

D) Yes, all 3 are equally evil to do to someone, regardless of the extent or duration of damage, or the potential to recover from any of the 3 curses.

------------------------------

*This one will have to be shortened somehow...or allow 2 or 3 --or 8 or 10-- votes from each person.**

Which of these is the most creative product of JKR's imagination?

A) the Room of Requirement

B) House-elves and their role in wizarding society

C) horcruxes

D) the effect of Harry's wand against LV's wand

E) Quidditch

F) the 7 defenses for the Sorcerer's Stone

G) Tom Riddle's use of the diary to control Ginny

H) the flying car, Abraxan horses and flying carriage

I) Obliviate charm for Muggles exposed to displays of magic

J) the Weasley clock

K) Felix Felicis potion and its unique smell for each person

L) tents that are larger inside than outside

M) Apparating

N) the Mirror of Erised

O) magical candies like Fizzing Whizbees, Pepper Imps, Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Botts Every-Flavor Beans

P) the concept of Dementors and Patronuses

Of course, if we can find that any of the above were inspired by some other source, we can drop them from the poll.

virginiaelizabeth - Apr 13, 2007 8:52 pm (#85 of 351)

Well I just tried to eliminate some of the choices and I have to admit, that it was hard. So then I went back and tried to think about what made each one really special, and if I thought that it could have played off of something else. They are all original ideas, but the ones that really stood out to me were:

1. The Room of Requirement

2. Horcruxes ( think Tom Riddle's diary fits under this category as well, which could eliminate a choice.

3. Quidditch

4. Apparition

5. Candies

6. Dementors and Patronuses

That's just what struck me as the most creative, but then again, that's my personal opinion. We may have to have a mini vote to narrow down the choices! Is this list really too long??

The only one that I really think could be for sure eliminated are flying cars, horses, etc. because while it's creative, similar forms have been seen before.

Of course while trying to minimize this list, I thought of about 10 other things that we could add.

freshwater - Apr 14, 2007 3:03 pm (#86 of 351)

I know, virginiaelizabeth. When I began the list it seemed like a good poll question....but as the ideas racked up it seemed impossible to choose among so many. Oh, and I thought of another one, too, .....must run get my notebook as my middle-aged brain is taking a coffee break **groan**.

S.E. Jones - Apr 14, 2007 9:35 pm (#87 of 351)

Esther Rose --Who is most likely to suffer from each of the Unforgivables?--

Esther Rose, did you mean which character will suffer from all three or which characters will suffer from each?

freshwater - Apr 15, 2007 4:06 pm (#88 of 351)

Have we done a poll on which items will be horcruxes? I have recently developed a whole new take on these items....after considering the questions on the Predictions thread, particularly the "10 Quick and Easy...." thread....see my post, #40, if interested.

Which 7 items are most likely to be horcruxes? (Asking about 7 items because of my belief that LV has realized the loss of the diary and so has created another horcrux since regaining a body.)

A) the diary

B) the ring w/Peverell (sp?) crest

C) Slytherin's locket

D) Nagini

E) Hufflepuff's cup

F) Ravenclaw's quill

G) a first edition or original manuscript of a book written by Ravenclaw...."Hogwarts: a History" perhaps, charmed to update itself perpetually.

H) Ravenclaw's cauldron

I) Gryffindor's sword

J) Gryffindor's chainmail, or helmet or breastplate (items I presume he had if he intended to fight with a sword)

K) Gryffindor's dagger (if he had a sword he probably had a dagger, too)

L) the wand in the window of Ollivander's

M) something belonging to Grindlewald

N) something else we can't begin to predict given JKR's genius

S.E., my apologies...I can't seem to devise a /short/ poll!

freshwater - Apr 15, 2007 4:24 pm (#89 of 351)

Here is a shortened version of the poll I suggested in post 84:

Which of these is the most creative product of JKR's imagination?

A) the Room of Requirement

B) House elves and their role in wizarding society

C) horcruxes

D) the effect of Harry's wand against LV's wand

E) Quidditch

F) the 7 defenses for the Sorcerer's Stone as a format for the rest of the series

G) Tom Riddle's use of the diary to control Ginny

H) Obliviate charm for Muggles exposed to displays of magic

I) the Weasley clock

J) Felix Felicis potion and its unique smell for each person

K) Apparating

L) the Mirror of Erised

M) magical candies like Fizzing Whizbees, Pepper Imps, Chocolate Frogs and Bertie Botts Every-Flavor Beans

N) the concept of Dementors and Patronuses

O) the petrified, gold-painted gnome used as an angel of the top of the Weasley Christmas tree in HBP

Well, it's not much shorter.....I removed the flying car: it's been done in movies such as Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang and in Flubber....flying horses were found in ancient mythology....and I removed the tents larger inside than out due to their similarity to C.S. Lewis' wardrobe (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) which has the same characteristics, sort of.... and I added the gnome just because I think it's the funniest thing in the entire series!....well, maybe after Malfoy, the bouncing ferret.....oh, no...should we add the ferret? **groans in the face of the endless evidence of JKR's relentless genius**

Madam Pince - Apr 16, 2007 12:52 pm (#90 of 351)

How about this for a poll:

In an interview released by Warner Bros. in 2004, JKR said that in The Prisoner of Azkaban, Alfonso Cuarón inadvertently foreshadowed events that will happen in books six and seven. "I really got goose bumps when I saw a couple of those things, and I thought, people are going to look back on the film and think that those were put in deliberately as clues," Rowling said.

What do you think JKR was referring to?

A. Fred/George comment after Harry's fall in the Quidditch game... "Well, let's push you off the Astronomy Tower and we'll see how you look!" (foreshadowing Dumbledore's death.)

B. Sirius Black's face in Trelawney's crystal ball (foreshadowing a possible future communication with Sirius from "beyond the Veil.")

C. Buckbeak defending Harry and Hermione from werewolf Lupin in the forest (foreshadowing Buckbeak defending Harry from Snape at the end of HBP.)

D. Snape stepping defensively in front of the Trio when Lupin transforms into a werewolf (foreshadowing a possible future instance when Snape steps in front of Harry or the Trio, thus defending them from Voldemort.)

E. Draco's comment post-punch of "I'm going to get that jumped-up Mudblood Granger" (foreshadowing a possible future attack by Draco on Hermione.)

F. Harry losing his glasses during the Whomping Willow's attack (foreshadowing a possible instance of this being crucial in a future battle -- since JKR has also commented in another interview something about Harry's glasses being so important to his character.)

Did I miss any?

S.E. Jones - Apr 16, 2007 3:25 pm (#91 of 351)

Freshwater, I already got a shortened version of you "most creative product of JKR's imagination" poll logged into my records. As for your other poll ("Which 7 items are most likely to be horcruxes?"), we already know for absolute certain that A-E are Horcruxes. Wouldn't it be better to try to guess the remaining, unknown Horcrux (or Horcruxes if you think Voldemort made a replacement for the diary)?

freshwater - Apr 16, 2007 4:50 pm (#92 of 351)

S.E., if you already have a shorter version of the "creative products" poll then I'm sure it's fine....although I did think of one other item: Omnioculars....a rather ingenious and portable combination of binoculars and a VCR. Maybe something else could be dropped if you want to add this.

As for the horcrux poll....all we know for //sure// is that the diary and the ring have been destroyed, and that the cup and the locket are likely to be horcruxes....so we could just list those 4 items as "givens", and ask for votes on the remaining 2 --or 3, see below-- horcruxes.

More and more I feel that Nagini may not be a horcrux --too risky to use a living animal that could wander off, be captured or be killed. This could be a great example of Dumbledore being wrong, as he admitted the possibility several times in the series, including HBP. Also, the theory that LV may have created additional horcruxes since regaining a body --he's certainly been authorizing a lot of killing-- makes a lot of sense to me....even if it is just one to replace the diary, of whose destruction he is likely aware.

Madame Pince, I like your poll very much! I would suggest one change....in C, I think that Buckbeak protecting H/H from the werewolf may foreshadow Buckbeak protecting H/R/H from Fenrir Greyback, not Snape....but then, I'm on the "Snape is good" side.

Madam Pince - Apr 16, 2007 6:28 pm (#93 of 351)

I'm on that side, too, freshwater! The scene in C. which I was referring to has already happened, though -- at the end of HBP, when Snape is fleeing the castle and he and Harry are having their little set-to, right when Snape says "DON'T CALL ME A COWARD!" -- Buckbeak flies at Snape and slashes at him. It's at the bottom of page 604 in the U.S. hardback version. (JKR's quote about the movie was before either HBP or DH had come out... so the "foreshadowed" thing, whatever it is, could've happened in HBP.)

freshwater - Apr 16, 2007 8:14 pm (#94 of 351)

Oooohhhh, I'd forgotten all about Buckbeak doing that, M. Pince!

geauxtigers - Apr 16, 2007 9:47 pm (#95 of 351)

I was just looking at all of the books and I was trying to decide which cover I like the best. So now that we have all 7 covers, how about a poll to decide which is the favorite?

Scholastic:

A. Sorcerer's Stone

B. Chamber of Secrets

C. Prisoner of Azkaban

D. Goblet of Fire

E. Order of the Phoenix

F. Half-Blood Prince

G. Deathly Hallows

Bloomsbury Kids:

A. Philosopher's Stone

B. Chamber of Secrets

C. Prisoner of Azkaban

D. Goblet of Fire

E. Order of the Phoenix

F. Half-Blood Prince

G. Deathly Hallows

Esther Rose - Apr 17, 2007 9:02 am (#96 of 351)

SE Jones: Esther Rose, did you mean which character will suffer from all three or which characters will suffer from each?

SE Jones. I meant from each separately. Three votes.

Lina- Apr 17, 2007 10:17 am (#97 of 351)

There was a scene in the PoA movie, I think when Buckbeak appears, where Hermione grabs Ron's hand. I thought it could be foreshadowing love between Hermione and Ron.

freshwater - Apr 18, 2007 12:11 pm (#98 of 351)

Which of these minor characters will play a significant role in DH?

A) Petunia Dursley

B) Arabella Figg

C) Mr. Filch

D) Daedulus Diggle

E) Aberforth Dumbledore

F) Hermione's parents

G) Mrs. Norris (cat)

H) Griphook (a goblin @ Gringotts)

--------------------------------------------------------

Who will perform magic at a late age?

A) Petunia Dursley

B) Mrs. Figg

C) Mr. Filch

D) one of Hermione's parents

E) someone else

me and my shadow 813- Apr 24, 2007 3:49 pm (#99 of 351)

Freshwater wrote: Which 7 items are most likely to be horcruxes? (Asking about 7 items because of my belief that LV has realized the loss of the diary and so has created another horcrux since regaining a body.)

Yippee -- I'm happy someone else thinks Vold would want to *maintain* his horcrux count at 6 + parent bit. I'm not suggesting a new idea for a poll but really like freshwater's, above. Perhaps, since SE Jones asked, we could have pollers simply name the remaining horcruxes-- so excluding diary and ring --along with stating why, or not, they believe a new one has been made to replace diary. For instance:

A) Nagini

B) Slytherin Locket (at #12GP or otherwise)

C) Ravenclaw Wand

D) Ravenclaw Tiara (in RoR or otherwise)

E) Ravenclaw unknown item

F) Hufflepuff Cup

G) Hufflepuff unknown item

H) Gryffindor unknown item

I) Harry's scar

J) Vold's Special Services Plaque

K) Vold's Prefect/Head Boy Badge

L) Unknown Item

...choosing 4 if one doesn't believe a horcrux was made to replace diary, and 5 if one does. Any thoughts?

Liz Mann - Apr 26, 2007 11:46 am (#100 of 351)

Which of the teaser trailers do you like best?

a) Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone

b) Chamber of Secrets

c) Prisoner of Azkaban

d) Goblet of Fire

e) Order of the Phoenix

(Links go to The Snitch. QuickTime required. The links should be included because a lot of people may have largely forgotten the older ones and will be biased towards the newer ones.)

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #101 to #125

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Luna Logic - Apr 27, 2007 12:43 am (#101 of 351)
Edited by Apr 27, 2007 12:44 am

I support me and my shadow’s proposition of pool about the horcruxes items, with the whole list, and the possible choices of 4 items or 5 items.

That pool could help us to resume our thoughts about what are the horcruxes, before book seven. I need it!

Madame Pomfrey - May 14, 2007 6:59 pm (#102 of 351)

What form does Snape’s Patronus take?
A. Spider
B. Bat
C. Chameleon
D. something else

John Bumbledore - May 16, 2007 11:03 am (#103 of 351)

How about adding option E) Snape cannot produce a Patronus since it is "anti-Dark magic?"

John Bumbledore <)B^D?

journeymom - May 16, 2007 11:53 am (#104 of 351)

F. an Augurey
G. a phoenix (being very optimistic, there)

Madame Pomfrey - May 17, 2007 8:06 am (#105 of 351)

Thanks for the add-ons. I am not familiar with all the speculations out there. John, I would totally like to agree with that since I am one of the very few that does not trust Snape, but Dumbledore said in OoP that Snape sent a message to the Order then went on to tell Harry that The Order has a different method of sending messages. So, I assume a patronus is how Snape notified the Order about Harry going after Sirius.

freshwater - May 22, 2007 2:29 pm (#106 of 351)

Good point Madame P....although, before reading your post, I was going to suggest "he can't produce a patronus because he doesn't have a powerful enough happy memory".....sad.

Madame Pomfrey - May 23, 2007 8:44 am (#107 of 351)

Which brings us to the question ‘What would be a happy memory for Snape?’ None of the memories we ever saw were happy ones. *Lily*

me and my shadow 813- May 30, 2007 4:08 pm (#108 of 351)

I agree, Madame. A good suggestion for a poll -- "What memory does Severus use to produce his Patronus?"

A) His mother

B) The day he received an Outstanding in DADA NEWT

C) The day he received the Dark Mark

D) The day he killed Dumbledore

E) A particular day he spent with Lily

F) He cannot produce a Patronus because he has no joyful memory

S.E. Jones - May 30, 2007 7:51 pm (#109 of 351)

Me and my shadow 813, we know that Snape can produce a patronus because he sent a message to Sirius in OP and we are then told directly afterward by Dumbledore that the Order uses a more exact means of communication than the Floo network (i.e. Patroni).

Elanor - May 30, 2007 9:21 pm (#110 of 351)

That's a good idea MMS! What about also:

"The day he went to Dumbledore and Dumbledore believed him and gave him his second chance."

Esther Rose - May 31, 2007 5:41 am (#111 of 351)

I have a poll.

Where will the first chapter in Deathly Hollows open?

A: Hogwarts

B: #4 Privet Drive

C: Spinner's End

D: At the Riddle Manor

E: In the Forbidden Forest

F: The Burrow

G: #12 Grimmauld Place

H: Somewhere in Hogsmeade

I: Somewhere in Diagon Alley

J: Somewhere in Knockturn Alley

K: We will get another "Prime Minister" visit

L: Godric's Hollow

M: St. Mungo's

N: Somewhere else (Name)

me and my shadow 813- May 31, 2007 2:07 pm (#112 of 351)

Thanks, SE Jones, for the correction. Elanor's addition sounds good to me. Esther Rose, that's an excellent suggestion.

freshwater - May 31, 2007 4:49 pm (#113 of 351)

Excellent idea, EstherRose!

[b]MickeyCee3948/b] - May 31, 2007 7:50 pm (#114 of 351)

B - With Harry coming home several weeks early.

Mickey

freshwater - Jun 7, 2007 6:11 pm (#115 of 351)

S. E. Jones, I just want to thank you for managing all of these polls. I think it's been great fun to see what other fans think about these questions! Thanks particularly for running the last one, which closed June 6, "what is the most creative product of JKR's imagination?". That must have been a tricky one to sort out mathematically!

geauxtigers - Jun 7, 2007 10:16 pm (#116 of 351)

I'll second what freshwater said, Sarah! Kudos to you for taking this on! Thanks!

S.E. Jones - Jun 8, 2007 5:55 pm (#117 of 351)

Thanks guys... ... I've been getting a little sidetracked by real life recently but I'll try to make sure the rest of the polls are as on time as I can (sorry about the lateness of the last couple)....

I've got all the most recent poll ideas logged into my records but we still need more so keep them comin'!

Madam Pince - Jun 10, 2007 6:22 am (#118 of 351)

This one doesn't have too many possible answers, I don't think, but it's something I've wondered about:

Who was "that boy" (referred to by Aunt Petunia)?

1. James

2. Sirius

3. Snape

4. Lupin

5. Peter

6. Somebody else.

Did we do "Which is your favorite movie?" yet? Seems like we ought to have...

juliebug - Jun 10, 2007 8:20 am (#119 of 351)

I agree with the others. SE has done an outstanding job running all these polls. She's also way too hard on herself about missed deadlines. We are all so grateful for your hard work.

How about a 'which Weasley' poll? Vote for your favorite member of the very popular red-haired clan. Do you think Percy will win

Liz Mann - Jun 12, 2007 6:27 pm (#120 of 351)

I did this poll on my website. It'd be interesting to see what the people here on the Lex say.

After Deathly Hallows is released, will you continue to be active in the online fandom?

a) Of course!

b) Yes because there are still two movies left

c) Yes but probably not as active as I am now

d) For a while to discuss the book but after that I'll probably leave

e) Nah, when it's over, it's over

Lina- Jun 13, 2007 1:48 am (#121 of 351)

How about one more option, like continuing to be in contact with the friends made in the fandom and keep searching for the pearls of wisdom in the books?

freshwater - Jun 13, 2007 9:30 am (#122 of 351)

And one more option: g) Yes, because I love good HP fanfiction.

Liz Mann - Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm (#123 of 351)

The poll's really more about finding out whether people are intending to stay or not rather than going into the reasons why.

Actually, considering that answer B should be, "Yes, I'll stay until the last two movies are out."

freshwater - Jun 13, 2007 3:38 pm (#124 of 351)

If it's only about finding out you could go with "yes" and "no". Since you listed 5 different answers, it seemed to me that you were interested in 'why' also.

painting sheila- Jun 25, 2007 7:42 am (#125 of 351)

Where do you think the Founders’ portraits are?

A. Hanging at Hogwarts but of no use - they don't talk.

B. Hidden at Hogwarts

C. In the homes of their descendents.

D. Voldemort has them all.

E. Voldemort has some of them.

F. Portraits! The Founders did not sit and have their portraits done! They were to busy opening a school!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #126 to #150

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Luna Logic - Jun 27, 2007 12:58 am (#126 of 351)
Edited by Jun 27, 2007 12:59 am

G. They had statues in some hidden (why?) Hogwarts place (ancient and forbidden corridor, third floor?.

Mrs Brisbee - Jun 27, 2007 4:07 am (#127 of 351)

H. Instead of individual portraits, the Founders elected to place their combined wisdom into the Sorting Hat to help guide the school and future headmasters after they were gone.

DJ Evans - Jun 27, 2007 8:05 am (#128 of 351)

Or what about they (the portraits) have been destroyed for one reason or another? Just a thought....

Later, Deb

TwinklingBlueEyes- Jun 27, 2007 8:34 am (#129 of 351)

Now that is an interesting idea Deb. We saw the Fat Lady's portrait mutilated, but what would happen to a portrait's, er, um, persona, for lack of a better word, if it were totally destroyed?

S.E. Jones - Jul 5, 2007 4:20 pm (#130 of 351)

We're going to put a halt on poll suggestions unless they are polls relating to after DH is released (we really do need these, though). Thanks.

me and my shadow 813- Jul 6, 2007 2:02 pm (#131 of 351)

I guess my first reaction to post-DH voting would be:

"Did Severus's loyalty turn out the way you expected?"

a) Yes, knew it all along (honestly!)

b) No, totally devastated and am writing a complaint as we speak

c) No, but satisfied with the outcome

d) No, and still a little confused

e) Eh, wasn't concerned about him

I don't think we should have anything like "I never could really decide" because that's probably how 99% of readers feel anyway. So this way, people need to make a choice... what do ya'll think?

freshwater - Jul 6, 2007 3:53 pm (#132 of 351)

Excellent poll idea, meandmyshadow813! Very well worded, too. You're right.... respondents must make a choice! No fence-sitters!

painting sheila- Jul 6, 2007 10:11 pm (#133 of 351)

Great idea!!

geauxtigers - Jul 6, 2007 11:19 pm (#134 of 351)

I like that one too!

Also, another post- DH poll we could simply do a

"did you like how the series ended?"

A. Yes, I loved it!

B. No, I didn't really like it

C. It was okay.

But these would probably need some tweaking and such. After we read it and all, it could possibly get more specific and such.

How many of your theories/ideas/predictions were correct?

A. Most of them

B. Some of them

C. I was way off on everything!

I can't wait to see how off the mark I am on my theories and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Again, these can be more specific once we know how it ends!

For both of these, if anyone has anymore options to add feel free!

legolas returns - Jul 7, 2007 4:53 am (#135 of 351)

Is it possible to have an OotP movie poll please?

A) I loved every minute so much so that I had to go and see it again the same day

B) I loved everything about it

C) I loved it but wished they had not cut out important parts of the book

D) It was ok but the cuts spoiled the movie

E) It was nothing special

F) I hated every minute and could not wait to leave

G) I let the side down and left before the end-I had to go home and iron my hands

Finn BV - Jul 7, 2007 8:47 pm (#136 of 351)

Not that I'd vote for it, but I know some people would go with an H) Don't like the movies, so I didn't go see it.

me and my shadow 813- Jul 9, 2007 11:50 am (#137 of 351)

Thanks, folks.

Finn, that's funny. For me, it'll probably be an I) Movies increasingly disappointing, went to see it anyway to appease obsession with HP, wish I'd waited for the DVD but simply couldn't help myself ; )

geauxtigers - Jul 9, 2007 2:31 pm (#138 of 351)

Haha Me and my, that’s a pretty accurate statement there! LOL I always get worked up for them, go see them the day they come out and they have been increasingly disappointing...Oh well! I'm going anyway! LOL

freshwater - Aug 4, 2007 6:05 pm (#139 of 351)

How about a poll about the Epilogue?

I felt the Epilogue....

A) was just right, don't change a thing.

B) was too long...who needs an Epilogue when you've got a lat chapter?

C) was too short...I want more details, about everyone in the books!

D) was too short, but if JKR is going to publish an encyclopedia then I'm content to wait for that longer, more comprehensive version.

Potteraholic - Aug 4, 2007 8:22 pm (#140 of 351)

Only had time to see about 15 posts. Sure there are more great survey ideas, but these 3 caught my eye: (all paraphrased in the name of efficiency and intermittent WX connection!)

1. Did Severs turn out as expected?
2. Did Epilogue turn out as expected?
3. Will continue participating in Lexicon Forum in some capacity or not?

Looking forward to voting soon!

Luna Logic - Aug 6, 2007 9:23 am (#141 of 351)

OK for a poll about the Epilogue. I would like one more question:

E) was right, except the first names of the children of Harry and Ginny.

(There is a big debate about that in some continental forums, and I would appreciate very much to have the opinion of the Lexicon's forumers on this point... )

freshwater - Aug 7, 2007 6:08 am (#142 of 351)

Hmmm.... Luna Logic, it seems to me that your point about the children's names is really a different question and deserves a poll of its own.....maybe something like:

The second-generation names in the Epilogue were...

A) ...great! Loved them all!

B) ...OK, but Hugo? Where did that come from?

C) ...OK, but Albus Severus was a bit much.

D) ...odd....Hugo?....Scorpio? Puh-lease.

E) ...disturbing....no Fred? or Remus? They should have been remembered.

Is this along the lines of what you were thinking, Luna Logic?

Luna Logic - Aug 7, 2007 10:09 am (#143 of 351)
Edited by Aug 7, 2007 10:10 am

Yes, you are right, freshwater! A special poll about the Epilogue's choice of first names would be better.

But then two more questions would be needed to answer some "continental" (only?) interrogations:

F) Disturbing... Think about the difficulty for a child to wear the first name of a recently deceased person...

G) Disturbing... Think about the difficulty for a child to wear the first name of a person deceased of a violent death...

Finn BV - Aug 9, 2007 3:37 pm (#144 of 351)

For our thoughts on the Epilogue? I thought the length was fine but I still don't think "A" would be my answer. More like? E) Was fine, but was nothing special.

For the first names, I'd remove option B (as that's covered in D) and make another option for "OK, but there was a Lily and James overload".

Phelim Mcintyre - Aug 29, 2007 2:07 am (#145 of 351)

Could we have a poll about what fan fiction people want to right in the light of DH (or should we have a discussion on the fan fiction forum)? Specifically between the end of Flaw in the Plan and the Epilogue. We have Harry's career as an Auror, Ron and George at WWW, Hermione at the ministry, Ginny as a seeker for Hollyhead Harpies, Neville's career at Hogwarts, the aftermath of the War (including Fred's funeral). Any other suggestions?

painting sheila- Aug 29, 2007 6:19 am (#146 of 351)

good ideas Phelim!

painting sheila- Sep 15, 2007 2:11 pm (#147 of 351)

What became of Luna?

A. She married Neville and lived happily ever after at Hogwarts.
B. She apprenticed under Mr. Ollivander and became a great wand maker.
C. She helped her father in his studies and co-wrote several books about Nargels and their magical properties.
D. She started her own thestral farm. E. She travels the world looking for yet discovered magic in people, places, and things.

This is a little tongue in cheek, but I love Luna and would like to see what others think she is up to these days. If any of you have ideas to add (or change mine completely!) go for it!

She

Phelim Mcintyre - Sep 16, 2007 2:12 am (#148 of 351)

Painting Sheila - JKR has said that she marries Newt Scamander's grandson Rolf, and goes exploring for magical animals. But has to admit that the Crumpled-Horn Snorkack doesn't exist. She said this on her Bloomsbury webchat just after DH came out.

Finn BV - Sep 16, 2007 7:50 pm (#149 of 351)

How about what do you want to have happened to Luna? And I'd vote for F, she married Dean Thomas, after their meeting in Deathly Hallows, and settled down near Shell Cottage.

freshwater - Sep 17, 2007 5:06 pm (#150 of 351)

It's fun knowing what JKR said about Luna's future, but I'd still be interested to see what HP fans might prefer, or have imagined, for Luna.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #151 to #175

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:15 pm

painting sheila- Sep 18, 2007 5:30 am (#151 of 351)

How about Draco?

Has she said anything about him? We know he is married - but to whom and what does he do all day? And where did the name "Scorpius" come from?

Phelim Mcintyre - Sep 18, 2007 6:15 am (#152 of 351)

No we don't know anything about Draco, except Scorpius is a constellation (as is Draco, and Andromeda).

Liz Mann - Sep 20, 2007 5:47 pm (#153 of 351)

How about:

How often do you check the forum?

a) Several times a day

b) Once a day

c) Every couple of days

d) Every few days

e) Occasionally

f) I'm one of those who keeps vanishing for months

Finn BV - Sep 20, 2007 6:59 pm (#154 of 351)

Oh man, but I'd be so embarrassed to say f) -- but when I haven't pulled a Montague and fallen into the Vanishing Cabinet, I'm an a).

S.E. Jones - Oct 1, 2007 9:16 pm (#155 of 351)

Sorry about the long absence guys. I'm going to start the polls back up (and I mean it this time). I'm making a poll about saddest moments in the last book. Does anyone have suggestions? I could even do a poll on happiest moments or biggest surprises if anyone has suggestions for those....

Potteraholic - Oct 1, 2007 9:36 pm (#156 of 351)

S.E. Jones, If you do end up doing a 'saddest moments' poll, one of the ones that really got (and still gets) to me was (is) Dobby's death and burial.

Madam Pince - Oct 2, 2007 10:27 am (#157 of 351)

I agree about Dobby. The part about his eyes reflecting the light from the stars they couldn't see? Please. *sniff-sniff* Here's a few more:

"Look... at... me...."

"...Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face."

"Does it make a difference, being Muggle-born?"

Snape hesitated. His black eyes, eager in the greenish gloom, moved over the pale face, the dark red hair. "No," he said. "It doesn't make any difference." (Not exactly sad, maybe; more heart-wrenching...)

"C-Crabbe," choked Malfoy as soon as he could speak. "C-Crabbe..."

"He's dead," said Ron harshly.

(OK, I'm just kidding with that last one...)

geauxtigers - Oct 2, 2007 3:04 pm (#158 of 351)

How about the whole forest scene. The second Dumbledore said Harry was a horcrux, I fell apart and didn't stop crying until half way through King's Cross. Visiting his parent's graves was gut wrenching at least for me.

Happy- Of course Harry winning. Neville finishing Nagini and standing up to Voldemort. CAPSLOCK MOLLY!

Shocking: Dumbledore's past. Nagini in Bathilda Bagshot. I know I'm missing a bunch, but I have to run, there's something to get started with at least!

PeskyPixie - Oct 2, 2007 4:01 pm (#159 of 351)

"Look ... at ... me ..."

Who knew he was capable of such deep love? *sob*

megfox* - Oct 2, 2007 4:17 pm (#160 of 351)

For shocking, how about Kingsley Shacklebolt's Patronus: "The Ministry has fallen. Scrimgeour is dead. They are coming."

geauxtigers - Oct 2, 2007 7:29 pm (#161 of 351)

Oh I definitely screamed at that one, Meg!

Also, I even slammed my book down and said I wasn't reading anymore because she killed Hagrid, then I turned the page and Mr. Tonks said he was okay. I thought he'd died! I was so mad!

Anna L. Black - Oct 3, 2007 5:23 am (#162 of 351)

Definitely the point where Harry enters the forest and uses the resurrection stone. I have tears in my eyes every time I read about Harry asking Lupin (and the others) to forgive him.

PeskyPixie - Oct 3, 2007 11:03 am (#163 of 351)

Has a poll about ranking the HP books (most favourite to least favourite) already been conducted?

Madam Pince - Oct 3, 2007 12:16 pm (#164 of 351)

Too weird.... even just now re-reading megfox's post about Kingsley Shacklebolt's patronus, I still actually got a physical chill run down my spine and all down my arms. ***shudder*** I think it's just that it's so flat, abrupt, and emotionless. Utterly chilling.

freshwater - Oct 3, 2007 8:27 pm (#165 of 351)

One of the saddest moments for me was Hedwig's death....so sudden, so shocking, so unnecessary and so painful for Harry.

Also, the bit where DD asks Snape about loving Lily "after all this time?" and he answers "Always."

As for shocking: Dobby's death....learning that the doe patronus was Snape's....definitely Nagini erupting out of poor Ms. Bagshot **shudder**....and Harry's use of the Cruciatus curse.

S.E. Jones - Oct 4, 2007 11:25 pm (#166 of 351)

PeskyPixie, such a poll has been done but that was pre-DH, so we could do another.

Some good suggestions, guys. How about some more "biggest surprises"....

Mrs Brisbee - Oct 5, 2007 5:22 am (#167 of 351)

I was surprised at the part were Portrait Dumbledore advises Snape to betray the Order's plans to Voldemort. I actually dropped my book in shock.

I think a poll ranking all the books in the series would be fun.

mona amon - Oct 6, 2007 7:59 am (#168 of 351)

My suggestions for saddest moments (some of them have been mentioned by others)

1) The deaths (state which).

2) Harry's visit to his parents' graves.

3) Harry's parents' murder, seen through Voldemort's eyes.

4) Harry's walk to what he thinks is his death.

Surprises in DH-

1) Kreacher turning out to be such a sweet guy.

2) Snape being in love with Lily.

3) DD being friends with Grindelwald.

4) Harry using unforgivable curses.

5) Hearing only one sarcastic remark from Snape!

geauxtigers - Oct 6, 2007 2:52 pm (#169 of 351)

This kind of fits in both categories, but Fred's death kind of surprised me. I didn't think she'd kill one twin and not the other. I knew a Weasley would probably die, but I didn't think it'd be Fred or George. Percy perhaps, or Bill or Charlie. That was a shocker for me.

Phelim Mcintyre - Oct 17, 2007 9:38 am (#170 of 351)

Another poll suggestion. Who would we most like to see as a famous wizard card on J K Rowling’s official site? People could vote for their top three. Suggestions are Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Snape, Neville, Shacklebolt, Voldemort, McGonagall, and Grindelwald.

What other thoughts do people have as to who could be on the card (12 would be a good number).

Finn BV - Oct 17, 2007 4:31 pm (#171 of 351)

Ooh, fantastic question, Phelim! I'd add Luna, Molly, Arthur, James and Lily. Hmm, I doubt how "famous" (in the entire wizarding world) any of these would be to really appear on a card, as cool as it would be to see them.

John Bumbledore - Oct 18, 2007 1:07 pm (#172 of 351)

Who would we most like to see as a famous wizard card on J K Rowling’s official site? Suggested by Phelim

I agree with Finn, it is a good suggestion. I like these wizards that you suggested: Ron, Hermione, Snape, Neville, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Voldemort, McGonagall, and Grindelwald. They all have "know" accomplishments that would, in my opinion, qualify them for famous or infamous status.

Others I would suggest:

1 - Fred and George, because of their joke shop (U-no-poo! Enough said! LOL);

2 - Lee Jordan, or who ever was the voice of "Potterwatch";

3 - Remus J. Lupin, werewolf who opposed the Dark Lord and died a hero;

4 - Molly, defeated Bellatrix in a stunning duel during the battle for Hogwarts;

5 - Bellatrix, first lieutenant to the Dark Lord;

6 - Alastor Mad-Eye Moody, famous Auror and member of the Order;

7- Dolores Umbridge, infamous head of the Muggle-born registration community;

8 - Fenrir, infamous werewolf;

9 - Dobby, a free elf and hero of the war; and

10 - Hagrid, famous half-brother of Grawp the giant.

John Bumbledore <)B^D?

Chemyst - Nov 25, 2007 2:17 pm (#173 of 351)

In the six or so posts around: Choices, "+ Rubeus Hagrid" #942, 23 Nov 2007 9:56 am, there is a discussion of who you would rather have as your partner in a fight, Hagrid or Snape? I think it would make an excellent poll question for a showdown between just these two characters. I think adding more options would dilute the debate too much.

freshwater - Nov 25, 2007 9:41 pm (#174 of 351)

That's a good point, about diluting the debate/choice too much...but maybe the poll could offer a series of choices between two people: Hagrid or Snape....Ron or Hermione...Firenze or the Giant Squid....Ginny or Hermione....McGonagall or Flitwick, etc.
Edited to add: Molly or Tonks....Sirius or Remus.

PeskyPixie - Nov 26, 2007 6:26 pm (#175 of 351)

Ooh, me likey, freshwater!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #176 to #200

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm

John Bumbledore - Dec 3, 2007 10:18 am (#176 of 351)

Chemyst and freshwater, so is that a suggestion for a series of polls? First choose your ally: Hagrid or Snape? Next poll: choose between Ron or Hermione, etc.

I like that idea (or rather) those ideas.

freshwater - Dec 3, 2007 12:03 pm (#177 of 351)

I guess I saw it as a series of questions within one poll...something like:

Given the choice between two possible comrades in a fight against the DE's, would you choose...

1) Hagrid or Snape?

2) Neville or Ron?

3) Ron or Hermione?

4) Hermione or Ginny?

5) Tonks or Mad-Eye?

6) Molly or Tonks?

7) McGonagall or Flitwick?

8) a centaur or a house-elf?

9) Grawp or the giant squid?

etc.....

Maybe up to 10 - 15 questions....end results would report the percentage of votes for each name within a pair, for example: 1) Hagrid 80%, Snape 20%.

If the original intention was to spark debate/discussion about whether Hagrid or Snape --or Tonks or Molly, etc-- would be better to have your back in a fight, I think that might be better served by starting a new discussion thread for that purpose. It seems to me that a "poll" is designed to give quick-and-dirty insight into what folks think....not the "why" so much, although I do love to read the comments people add to their answers.

PeskyPixie - Dec 3, 2007 1:04 pm (#178 of 351)

I'm still trying to stoke the flames of the Hagrid vs. Snape debate on the Rubeus Hagrid thread. Come join in, all! (I'll give you a Galleon ***cough, cough, Leprechaun's gold, cough*** if you do!)

Liz Mann - Mar 28, 2008 10:34 am (#179 of 351)

How about, best McGonagall moment? Options:

1 - "Tripe, Sybil?"

2 - "It unscrews the other way."

3 - "May I offer you a cough drop, Dolores?"

4 - "Unless a mad axeman is waiting outside the doors to slaughter the first into the Entrance Hall."

And any others people can think of.

Or maybe, just the funniest moment in the series as a whole.

Orion - Mar 28, 2008 11:21 am (#180 of 351)

Oh yes oh yes oh yes! A "fave quotes", also by Dumbledore, Ron ...

Swedish Short-Snout - Mar 28, 2008 11:37 am (#181 of 351)
Edited by Mar 28, 2008 10:38 am

I like the McGonagall idea. The funniest moment of the series will be more difficult because there are so many!

Didn't she say something like "You look perfectly healthy to me, so you will still have to hand in your homework. I assure you, if you die you won't have to do it." I can't remember exactly, and I'm too lazy to check it up, but it's from PA, right after the first Divination class.

PeskyPixie - Mar 28, 2008 10:10 pm (#182 of 351)

Our boy Severus also has his fair share of memorable scenes! But, of course, he's often the straight man ... or the subject of the joke.

freshwater - Mar 29, 2008 6:48 am (#183 of 351)

I left a question for the hosts about this thread being seemingly abandoned....and offered to set up the next poll if no one else is available, but haven't heard back from them yet.

freshwater - Mar 30, 2008 9:31 pm (#184 of 351)

Kip and Denise have said I may start a new poll thread...or 3 (I added that myself! ) and that they will move it/them to the correct spot. I'll try to get one up by the end of the day, Monday the 31.

PeskyPixie - Mar 30, 2008 10:14 pm (#185 of 351)

Okey dokey! Looking forward to it, freshwater.

freshwater - Mar 30, 2008 11:05 pm (#186 of 351)

I'm obsessed....two polls have been created and should show up in the Threads Not Yet Approved section, although Denise said she would move them to the Votes on All Things Potter section.

[b]Denise P./b] - Mar 31, 2008 2:55 am (#187 of 351)

Kip moved the new polls up into the correct section

Orion - Apr 3, 2008 3:49 am (#188 of 351)

I don't know whether this has been suggested before, but how about a poll "cheesiest line in DH" or "worst quote in the whole series"?

geauxtigers - Apr 7, 2008 9:01 pm (#189 of 351)

I think this was suggested earlier, but how about a Dumbledore quote poll? We'd probably have to break it up like the McGonagall one, but Dumbledore has some of the best quotes of the series.

1 - "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -CoS

2 - "Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels, but old men are guilty if they forget what it is to be young." Not sure which book...

3 - "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" -PS

4 - "I could break out of course, [Azkaban] but what a waste of time and frankly I can think of a whole host of things I'd rather be doing." (OoP)

5 - "Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love." -DH

6 - "You are the true master of death, because the true master does not seek to run away from death. He accepts that he must die and understands that there are far, far worse things in the living world than dying." -DH

That's a start anyway, I know there are lots more, those are just the ones I have on hand!

Orion - Apr 8, 2008 5:39 am (#190 of 351)

For great DD quotes, take a peek at John's avatar. He's found the best!

PeskyPixie - Apr 8, 2008 10:05 am (#191 of 351)

Don't forget, "It's like losing a Knut and finding a Galleon."

freshwater - Apr 8, 2008 3:11 pm (#192 of 351)

Suggestions were made for polls on favorite quotes for a lot of the characters: Dumbledore, Ron, Hermione, Luna, Harry, of course... and some others that I wrote down but don't recall just now. We'll get to them....I thought I'd alternate them with other poll topics so we don't spend an entire month on nothing but fave quotes.

Julia H. - Apr 8, 2008 3:16 pm (#193 of 351)

Snape, Sirius, Molly...

[b]azi/b] - Apr 8, 2008 3:47 pm (#194 of 351)

For a lighter poll, why not have Which HP character has the best fashion sense?

A) Albus Dumbledore (Your stereotypical wizard)

B) Minerva McGonagall (The intelligent look)

C) Gilderoy Lockhart (Always the latest trend)

D) Cornelius Fudge (The business look, complete with bowler hat)

E) Severus Snape (Black is the only way)

F) Augusta Longbottom (Accessories queen)

G) Bill Weasley (The Rock Star look)

The characters are just a suggestion. Feel free to change them.

PeskyPixie - Apr 8, 2008 3:59 pm (#195 of 351)

Ooh, Azi, me likey! I love the 'looks' you've come up with as well.

The only one I'd tweak a bit would be Dumbledore. He is so 'out there' but pulls off his looks with such confidence that upon JKR's revelation of certain details of his personal life, my mom said, "No wonder he's so fashion-forward!"

azi - Apr 8, 2008 4:15 pm (#196 of 351)

LOL! What would you change it to? I just figured he wore the usual wizard clothes - purple robes and hats with stars on. Although I did think he had great fashion sense when I read the first chapter of PS.

I just thought - we could add H) Luna Lovegood (Always unique)

PeskyPixie - Apr 8, 2008 8:24 pm (#197 of 351)

Oh, yes, one should never forget Luna in a fashion poll! For Dumbledore, I don't know, "fashion forward", "daring", "fierce"? LOL, I think I'll leave it up to you.

Has there yet been a poll about favourite and least favourite characters?

Anna L. Black - Apr 9, 2008 1:39 pm (#198 of 351)

E) Severus Snape (Black is the only way) - LOL! I read the sentence in brackets first, and was sure that you meant Sirius! (The S in the beginning also helped)

freshwater - Apr 9, 2008 7:30 pm (#199 of 351)

Great idea, Azi! And thanks for the examples....please list some more here if you think of any.

Pesky, I do have a poll ready on favorite minor characters, one part for humans, and another part for non-humans. We could do a poll on favorite/least fave characters....but there are soooo many....how can we break it up into some manageable groups? Many students(good and bad)....adults(good and bad)....non-humans....magical creatures studied in Hagrid's class or DADA...? What do you think?

geauxtigers - Apr 9, 2008 7:37 pm (#200 of 351)

Least Favorite Hogwarts Student past and present:

A. Ernie MacMillan

B. Zacharias Smith

C. Marietta (Cho's friend)

D. Cho Chang (I don't like her much, but I may be alone)

E. Tom Riddle

F. Marcus Flint

G. Draco Malfoy

H. Cormac McLaggen

I. Pansy Parkinson

That's all I can think of off hand, feel free to add more. I made this students past and present because of Voldemort and I'm not sure if there are more, someone might think of another, but I don't think there are enough past students to have a poll to themselves. Tom Riddle really can't not be included, so.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #201 to #225

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 pm

PeskyPixie - Apr 9, 2008 8:12 pm (#201 of 351)

I love Ernie! However, Cho irritates me as well.

geauxtigers - Apr 9, 2008 9:21 pm (#202 of 351)

LOL I sort of like him too, but I know some people don't! There are times when he needs a good kick, but then again Ron and Harry needed one every other page! LOL

Cho is a whiny baby. She needs to get over herself and learn to move on. The kiss was good, but after that, I was over her, she needed to go! LOL Ginny is much more suitable!

Speaking of Ginny, I know some people don't like Ginny as I got into an argument a long time ago about that. Ahh the good ole days! So we can add her if yall want.

We could also just have an 'other' option because really, who's to say someone out there doesn't like Harry? Doubtful, but possible.

Elanor - Apr 9, 2008 10:20 pm (#203 of 351)

I love the idea and the one of adding an "other" option.

Mrs Brisbee - Apr 10, 2008 4:57 am (#204 of 351)

Does "least favorite" mean dislike on a personal level or a literary level? For example, Tom Riddle is dislikable (to put it mildly; I can't see how anyone could dislike another character more), but I find him highly relevant to the plot, so I like that the character exists to enrich the story. How should I vote?

Swedish Short-Snout - Apr 10, 2008 8:40 am (#205 of 351)

Can we include Romilda Vane?

I actually like Cho. But she wasn't the right one for Harry.

Orion - Apr 10, 2008 10:18 am (#206 of 351)

Romilda Vane is a good idea. We must also include Ginny, please. She is insufferable in HBP. And Crabbe and Goyle.

geauxtigers - Apr 10, 2008 3:43 pm (#207 of 351)

Does "least favorite" mean dislike on a personal level or a literary level? For example, Tom Riddle is dislikable (to put it mildly; I can't see how anyone could dislike another character more), but I find him highly relevant to the plot, so I like that the character exists to enrich the story. How should I vote?

I thought of this too. I'm not sure how to solve it. Riddle is not my least favorite character simply because of what you've said. Cormac McLaggen is another thing. I think for this poll we should stick to a personal level because it's easier. There are some people who hate Riddle on a personal level. Does that make sense? Basically who annoys you the most? Who makes you want to chuck your book across the room every time you read about them?

Another option could be Umbridge and Lockhart. I dunno how we forgot them!

freshwater - Apr 10, 2008 7:42 pm (#208 of 351)

These are good ideas....let's keep one poll for the students, and have another poll for annoying adults like Umbridge, Lockhart, Filch, etc.

Another poll might be 'which magical creature would you prefer for a pet?' or "...least like to have as a pet?"

[b]azi/b] - Apr 11, 2008 1:36 am (#209 of 351)

Which shop on Diagon Alley is your favourite?

A) Gringotts
B) Madam Malkin's
C) The Leaky Cauldron
D) Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour
E) Ollivanders
F) Flourish and Blotts
G) Weasleys Wizard Wheezes

A bit out of date because some disappeared but fun anyway.

freshwater - Apr 11, 2008 6:43 pm (#210 of 351)

Good idea, Azi! What was the name of the pet shop? Should we also include Borgin and Burkes?

PeskyPixie - Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm (#211 of 351)

There's Eyelops' Owl Emporium, but I can't remember the name of the pet shop HRH visit in PoA.

If there was a poll on biggest surprise of the series, I think Scabbers' true identity would top that list for me! Along with Lupin's lycanthropy, of course. (You'd need choices from A to Z for any poll covering the entire series!)

[b]azi/b] - Apr 12, 2008 12:18 pm (#212 of 351)

I didn't include Borgin and Burkes because it's technically on Knockturn Alley.

Is the other pet shop called Magical Menagerie?

geauxtigers - Apr 15, 2008 8:18 pm (#213 of 351)

We could do a poll on who would win in a fight?

A. Hagrid vs. Snape

B. Harry vs. Ron

C. Hermione vs. Ginny

D. Voldemort vs. Dumbledore

… etc. This is all of course, friendly duel. Not to the death or anything, well, DD killing Voldy-moldy is okay, but do ya get my drift? We can add more suggestions.

Oh, and yes, azi, it is the Magical Menagerie.

HungarianHorntail11 - Apr 27, 2008 6:21 pm (#214 of 351)

Bravest person/moment:

A) Harry going to meet Voldemort in the forest.

B) Regulus taking the horcrux and sparing Kreacher.

C) DD letting himself be AK'd.

D) Ron sacrificing himself so Harry could win the chess match.

E) Snape acting as a spy under Voldemort's nose.

F) Minerva standing up to Umbridge and getting blasted in the chest.

G) Ron jumping in and retrieving the sword of GG.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

geauxtigers - Apr 27, 2008 8:52 pm (#215 of 351)

Wow, I don't think I could choose any of those! Great poll!

How about Lily jumping in front of Voldemort to save Harry and Dobby saving Harry and co from Malfoy Manor.

freshwater - Apr 27, 2008 10:14 pm (#216 of 351)

And Harry fighting the Basilisk to save Ginny....and the 6 kids going to the MoM to save Sirius....and Ron following the spiders into the Forbidden Forest....

...this could be a pretty long poll! We may have to do it book by book, or maybe character by character.

Julia H. - Apr 28, 2008 12:03 am (#217 of 351)

Yes, character by character is a good idea! Book by book would be good as well... or both? freshwater, you are doing an incredibly good job with the polls, thanks again.

HungarianHorntail11 - Apr 28, 2008 11:42 am (#218 of 351)

LOL, you have come up with more that I didn't think of! Lily standing between Voldemort and Harry is a great one. **smacks forehead**

I would keep it more deliberate, though. For instance, I would put: Harry going down the opening to the Chamber of Secrets to find Ginny rather than Harry fighting the basilisk because it was a purposeful decision to put himself in harm's way and go find her but with the basilisk, he had no choice. Either kill it or die. Does that make sense?

BTW, I'm really glad you like my suggestion! And I agree with Julia. freshwater, you are doing a great job which is not so easy.

freshwater - Apr 28, 2008 2:16 pm (#219 of 351)

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad folks are enjoying the polls again....I know I am! Making them up --and finding out the results-- is actually a lot of fun. I participate in the trivia quizzes on the games thread, but I never do well enough to "win" and so make the next quiz. This job might actually be a bit difficult, if not for all the great ideas shared by other HP fans....all I have to do is write them up....and remember to give credit to the ones who came up with the ideas!

HungarianHorntail11 - Apr 29, 2008 4:54 am (#220 of 351)

Which mode of transportation would you choose (or would you like best)? Sorry if it's been mentioned but my search came up with nothing.

A) Floo Network

B) Broomstick

C) Apparating

D) Portkey

E) Hippogriff

F) Thestral

G) Hogwarts Express

H) Durmstrang Ship

I) Madame Maxim's flying carriage

J) Ford Anglia

K) Sirius' Motorcycle

L) Knight Bus

M) Aunt Marge's surprise (well, you would get a great view!)

I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Edited to add Knight Bus!

Mrs Brisbee - Apr 29, 2008 5:14 am (#221 of 351)

Flying carpet! (I'm the Persian carpet repair woman. I don't know how many times people came into the rug store where I used to work and ask if we sold "flying carpets ha-ha-ha" )

Swedish Short-Snout - Apr 29, 2008 8:23 am (#222 of 351)

Mrs Brisbee, just tell them that selling flying carpets is illegal because they are on the Registry of Proscribed Charmable Objects

I think it's a good idea for a poll.

Madam Pince - May 3, 2008 1:08 pm (#223 of 351)

Or you could just lower your voice in a conspiratorial manner and whisper "Why, yes, certainly, but you must understand that we couldn't display them out here for just anyone to see. They're not always... ummm... well-behaved. You'll have to come back here with me... into the back room... alone..." (Don't forget to cackle madly.)

They'd run like rabbits.

Chemyst - May 10, 2008 7:04 pm (#224 of 351)

Favorite Wizard Sweet Poll ~

Congratulations! When you checked under the cap on your last bottle of butter beer you found the matching code number. Your prize is gift certificate for one free item at Honeydukes. What will you spend it on?

geauxtigers - May 10, 2008 9:09 pm (#225 of 351)

Haha, Chemyst! I love it!

Sugar Quills, Droobles, Chocolate Frogs, Acid pops!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #226 to #250

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm

Julia H. - May 12, 2008 12:57 am (#226 of 351)
Edited May 12, 2008 1:56 am

I'm not sure what poll topics were covered in the distant past but I mention two anyway:

If you could learn a spell, what would you choose? (Accio, Reparo, Lumos, Legilimens, Protego, Expecto Patronum etc.)

My son's suggestion: In which wizarding house would you like to live? (Hogwarts, Hagrid's hut, The Burrow, 12GP, Spinner's End, The Malfoy Manor, Shell Cottage - did I leave out anything? The Gaunts' house or Bathilda's may not be very attractive... I don't know if HP Muggle houses, like the Dursley House or the Riddle House, should be included.)

Edit:

Hogwarts Castle: Ancient, beautiful and mysterious. Life in a wizarding community. Workplace and home at the same time.

The Burrow: Magically rural.

12GP: Eerie and exciting.

Spinner's End: Equipped with your personal library of magic.

The Malfoy Manor: Wizarding luxury.

Shell Cottage: The ideal place for a honeymoon full of magic.

Hagrid's hut: A simple and environment-friendly place close to nature.

freshwater - May 12, 2008 6:26 am (#227 of 351)

Great idea, Chemyst, it's on my list!

And Julia, two great ideas from the same house! Be sure to thank your son for me!

I'm trying to working in a "favorite quote" poll about one character or another every week or two, so don't worry if 'your' poll doesn't come up right away. I have a list of about 10 now, and I try to vary them...for instance, after the "most despicable thing LV did in DH" poll --which was very interesting, but a real downer to contemplate-- I thought we needed something lighter. I'm really enjoying the "most fashionable" poll!

Julia H. - May 13, 2008 11:11 pm (#228 of 351)

Freshwater, your thanks made my son so enthusiastic that he soon came up with another idea: Which magical creature would you like to keep as a pet?
- a phoenix
- a hippogriff
- a dragon (that one is illegal though)
- Crookshanks
- an owl

... I'm sure there are more.

Swedish Short-Snout - May 14, 2008 8:20 am (#229 of 351)

Julia, freshwater suggested that in post #208. However, it's a good idea!

Hogwarts Class of 85 - May 14, 2008 1:23 pm (#230 of 351)

If the prophecy could have applied to Terry Boot and possibly Michael Corner, rather than Harry Potter and possibly Neville Longbottom - what would Snape's fate have been by the end of DH?

a) You dare mention his name? - you must be very brave. We thought the Dark Lord was bad, but this self-proclaimed Prince is another matter altogether.

b) A member of the Dark Lord's inner circle, Professor Snape is currently Headmaster of Hogwarts. He was acquitted of the murders of former Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, Mr and Mrs Corner and young Michael, Mr and Mrs Boot and young Terry as well as the torture of numerous Muggle-borns by the Wizengamot of which he was Chief Warlock at the time.

c) You mean Harry Potter's stepfather? He moved in quickly after the tragic death of Harry's father James in the battle of Hogwarts. Who would have thought he would have switched sides in that final battle.

d) Wasn't he a Death Eater who was killed by Voldemort when he tried to leave?

e) Severus who?

f) something else

PeskyPixie - May 15, 2008 8:11 am (#231 of 351)

Ooh, me likey, Hogwarts Class of 85! Very creative!

Julia H. - May 15, 2008 9:03 am (#232 of 351)

Any positive options?

Hogwarts Class of 85 - May 15, 2008 11:14 am (#233 of 351)

feel free to add some

Julia H. - May 15, 2008 1:50 pm (#234 of 351)

feel free to add some (Hogwarts Class of 85)

I'll try:

g) You mean the man whose name you can see on this memorial? He was a young Death Eater who one day decided to open Voldemort's prison and free the prisoners, who were facing torture and death there. He had to sacrifice his life to break the various spells that guarded the prison but he managed to free the prisoners. Among the ones who escaped were Lily and James Potter, who later named their second child after him.

h) Oh, yes. Professor Snape became the late Albus Dumbledore's most important ally in his fight against Voldemort when, as a young DE, he went to Dumbledore to warn him about an exceptionally vicious plan of Voldemort's against Muggle-borns. He became headmaster after the victory and a very good one. Do you know he has recently got married? Very young wife, this Lily Snape, her parents went to school with her husband...

freshwater - May 15, 2008 2:16 pm (#235 of 351)

Wow, Julia, you really know how to "do" positive!

Mrs Brisbee - May 15, 2008 3:01 pm (#236 of 351)

i) Severus Snape was rewarded for his loyalty to the Dark Lord with a prestigious Ministry job to produce new Dark spells and objects for Voldemort and the Death Eaters. Snape is currently the Head of the Dark Arts Development Department, where he is affectionately known to his underlings as Big DADDY.

j) Severus Snape remained in favor with Lord What-Have-You-Done-For-Me-Lately Voldemort for only a short time. Having failed to achieve the accolades he felt he deserved, Snape fled to Switzerland. Although he remains in hiding, he has produced the international best selling Advancements in Potion Making, and is said to currently be working on his autobiography, Dark Arts, Death Eaters, Dunderheads, and Me.

Hogwarts Class of 85 - May 15, 2008 3:09 pm (#237 of 351)

Am liking Big DADDY a lot!

freshwater - May 15, 2008 5:01 pm (#238 of 351)

You guys are a stitch! I think we should make it one poll, with two sections: in one section you can choose the best happy ending Epilogue for Snape, and in the second section you can choose the best "just desserts", mean, downfall ending for Snape.

Or...would it be less confusing as two polls....?

Hogwarts Class of 85 - May 16, 2008 12:40 am (#239 of 351)

if it were me, I would do it as one question with a combination of "good" and "bad" endings as the underlying question for me is would Snape have stayed with the Death Eaters had Lily's life not been at risk?

Dryleaves - May 16, 2008 12:40 am (#240 of 351)

Or...would it be less confusing as two polls....? (Freshwater)

I don't know, but it would surely be hilarious! ROTFL

Anna L. Black - May 16, 2008 1:19 am (#241 of 351)
Edited May 16, 2008 2:12 am

Julia, is Lily Snape James-and-Lily's daughter, or Harry-and-Ginny's daughter?

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 1:46 am (#242 of 351)

Anna, she is James and Lily's daughter. (Her parents went to school with her husband.) I would not have Snape wait for two generations to grow up before he finds a wife.

Anna L. Black - May 16, 2008 2:12 am (#243 of 351)

But then why is she called Lily?

I'm just kidding, I absolutely love the ideas for this quiz.

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 2:34 am (#244 of 351)

But then why is she called Lily? (Anna)

(Why not?) Of course the reason is to make it easier for Snape to realize that she is his (second chance for a) future wife. (If the green, almond-shaped eyes and the red hair are not enough.)

Dryleaves - May 16, 2008 2:46 am (#245 of 351)

Of course the reason is to make it easier for Snape to realize that she is his (second chance for a) future wife. (Julia)

I would prefer that he realised it anyway and found a non-redhead with a different eye-colour (or at least red or green in different combination), not named after a flower. But of course it is an intriguing thought that he might marry a female version of Harry... The name Lily seems logical, though, since some wizards don't seem to have too much imagination when it comes to naming their children (or are very traditional, if you prefer it expressed in that way...).

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 2:58 am (#246 of 351)

I just thought it might take more time otherwise... Let's call her Esperanza or something similar and she can be anybody's daughter, it is fine with me... (Or she could be Marianne with reference to Sense and Sensibility and second attachments.)

Dryleaves - May 16, 2008 3:36 am (#247 of 351)

Esperanza... I like Nadya better...

Maybe we should have a third poll about the name of Snape's wife if he would ever marry... Just kidding! I promise I will stop to discuss this now!

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 4:06 am (#248 of 351)

Esperanza... I like Nadya better... (Dryleaves)

As you wish. What counts is to have Snape marry Hope, in whatever language.

PeskyPixie - May 16, 2008 6:51 am (#249 of 351)

I don't think Snape would fall for a child of Lily's. He seems to be the type who would look on her (from a distance, probably) as a daughter rather than a possible romantic partner.

Goodness, we need to get this poll up as I can't seem to control my opinions!

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 7:05 am (#250 of 351)

Pesky, this is a very good point, which seems unbeatable to me. (Unless... what if she looks on him as a possible romantic partner? It is always the woman who chooses in the end, isn't it? )

I never thought that one sentence of mine written in the instant the idea came to my mind would start such an avalanche of posts.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll/Result Discussions - posts #251 to #275

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Mrs Brisbee - May 16, 2008 7:39 am (#251 of 351)

Snape as Lily Jr.'s husband strikes me as a bit creepy. Snape as Lily Jr.'s godfather seems more fitting.

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 7:59 am (#252 of 351)

Hm... I don't think it is creepy. I don't know what else would be the problem besides the age difference (Snape and Lily were never even really going out together and Snape getting married would mean leaving his teenage love behind) but there are lots of marriages where there is 20 years of age difference between the wife and the husband and in the wizarding world 20 years seems to be less than among Muggles because wizards can live much, much longer than Muggles. (Somehow, for Snape, I can only imagine a wife who is considerably younger than him. Perhaps because of his protective instincts.) But perhaps there would be more chance for happiness if Snape married someone who was totally unconnected to everyone he had ever known. OK. However, a godfather... no! I like what Pesky says: the type who would look on her (from a distance, probably) as a daughter ... From a distance, yes. But being invited to be the godfather of the daughter of the woman he still loves, before he manages to move on - that would not really be good for anyone.

Mrs Brisbee - May 16, 2008 8:16 am (#253 of 351)

I guess for me it represents the difference between romantic obsession by going so far as to marry the daughter-- with the same name, no less!-- of the girl he was obsessed with; and friendship, represented by returning to the role of best friend, and accepting the present for what it is.

But being invited to be the godfather of the daughter of the woman he still loves, before he manages to move on - that would not really be good for anyone.

If he does romantically love Lily Potter Sr., he best not be marrying the daughter, either.

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 8:25 am (#254 of 351)

If he does romantically love Lily Potter Sr., he best not be marrying the daughter, either. –Mrs Brisbee

But Mrs Brisbee, there are about twenty years between the time when a girls needs a godfather and the time she needs a husband. I imagine at the time Snape could be invited to be a godfather, he could not have moved on at all. Twenty years later, however, and with a certain distance between him and the Potter-family (the idea of close friendship before the "third party" moves on is just impossible, believe me, I know), he could look at the daughter as an independent person ... but I'm not saying that this is the best or the most serious idea I have ever had.

What about a Muggle wife for him?

Why cannot we call love 'love' instead of 'obsession'?

Mrs Brisbee - May 16, 2008 8:37 am (#255 of 351)

I guess because it sounds like Snape is getting Lily II as a sop for having missed out on Lily I. Just a difference in our viewpoints, I suppose.

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 8:43 am (#256 of 351)

As long as we "write" this story, we can decide what we want it to sound like.

Mrs Brisbee - May 16, 2008 9:01 am (#257 of 351)

Yeah. I apologize for my post sounding harsh. It really doesn't matter, and I can't think why your suggestion shouldn't be a poll choice.

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 9:06 am (#258 of 351)

Oh, it is quite OK. I am more than contented if in that suggestion of mine, Snape's wife is mentioned without a name. (As long as she loves him, she can be a Muggle or anybody...)

(Meaning 'Muggle' as a total opposite of Lily, not in a "politically incorrect" sense/usage.)

Dryleaves - May 16, 2008 9:14 am (#259 of 351)

But admit it's fun to get him married!

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 9:55 am (#260 of 351)

It is!

freshwater - May 16, 2008 1:16 pm (#261 of 351)

Julia, you should head on over to the 5 Words story thread in the fanfic section and let us write up the "May-December" romance!

Orion - May 16, 2008 2:38 pm (#262 of 351)

Great idea, HCO85! Snape soon found out that he didn’t much like being a DE because he didn’t fancy the ladies. So he found a way to leave quickly, that is, to bash Voldie’s head in with a certain Gilbert Goyle’s old Beater’s bat when Voldie wasn’t looking. There was much talk afterwards about Vapormort hanging around sadly in a forest in Albania, but DD finished off all the Horcruxes one by one. To get the Cup Horcrux, DD had to Polyjuice Bellatrix, using two bottles of excellent Bordeaux. To his intense amazement, he found out that he liked looking like her so much that he decided to lock her into a trunk? that was the end of Bellatrix. Snape got over Lily in the end and married a certain Narcissa Black, divorced (and childless) Malfoy. They had a son called Draco who had a huge nose, a pointed chin, mousey-brown hair and a friendly personality.

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 2:45 pm (#263 of 351)

ROTFL!!!!!!! Orion, I have wondered where you have been lately. Welcome back! This is my favourite version by far ....!!! *Trying to repress screams of enthusiasm (children and neighbours are asleep).*

Freshwater, thanks! I will!

freshwater - May 16, 2008 3:20 pm (#264 of 351)

Wow, Orion, you have quite a flair for the unique narrative summary! It's always the quiet ones.....

PeskyPixie - May 16, 2008 3:24 pm (#265 of 351)

Orion also knows what really happens to Snape at the end of DH. I've told quite a few people her version of the events of that fateful night in 1998, and they are relieved by it!

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 3:51 pm (#266 of 351)

Pesky, I'd like to know it too!

Hogwarts Class of 85 - May 16, 2008 3:52 pm (#267 of 351)

I am wondering if, instead of a poll, we should have a "what if" thread for Snape. I thought I was going to be crucified for suggesting the poll.....

freshwater - May 16, 2008 4:15 pm (#268 of 351)

That's an interesting idea, HCof85....what if we ran it on the polls thread, but set up like a 'finish this sentence/paragraph/scenario' kinda thing?

Julia H. - May 16, 2008 11:32 pm (#269 of 351)

I like your idea, freshwater ... it would be creative for everyone.

Orion - May 17, 2008 9:29 am (#270 of 351)

Hello Julia, the Search button found this which I once posted on the Sirius thread:

"Aha. Good to know. One's always the last one to find out. As for "still in denial": Yes! (Wrong thread, wrong thread...) If we all breathe very cautiously and don't make any sudden movements, she will write book eight (Harry Potter and the very very secret department) which starts in the Great Hall immediately when HRH have returned from DD's office, and a whey-faced and very disgruntled (well, nothing new here) Snape staggers in, clutching at his neck, and snarls at Harry "thought I was done for, didn't you Potter? Well I have news for you - there were a few VERY useful spells in the last pages you were too slow to snaffle, and for the minutes, that was the last time I saved your spotty bum! That's it, I'm off." and then walks, staggers or crawls to the nearest exit and leaves this pestilential school for good. So hold your breath..."

I'm not sure if "clutching at" is correct. Probably not.

Julia H. - May 17, 2008 9:41 am (#271 of 351)

Thanks, Orion! LOL! As for "still in denial": I know I also had my ideas how Snape could have survived still and what would have happened to him afterwards (the only good thing about JKR "forgetting" about him until the Epilogue).

Dryleaves - May 17, 2008 11:16 am (#272 of 351)

Orion, it sounds as if you ought to write book eight. At least the beginning sounds really good.

PeskyPixie - May 17, 2008 12:43 pm (#273 of 351)

Thanks for looking that up, Orion. (otherwise I would have had to do it! )

freshwater - May 19, 2008 5:28 pm (#274 of 351)

I have a favor to ask....Hungarian Horntail 11 suggested a poll about the bravest person or bravest act/moment in the series....or maybe we should do it by book? Anyway, if one occurs to you, please post it in the "Poll Suggestions--Submit Yours Here" thread....if I try to list them all myself I'm sure to omit some of the best.

Also, I'd like to do a poll on the best or most beautiful description in each book. If you would, again, post those in the "Poll Suggestions--Submit Yours Here" thread...maybe as you are re-reading one of the books....that would be an enormous help. I plan to record some as I participate in the series re-read scheduled to start sometime this summer (???), but collecting them that way will take quite a while.

The polls will only be as good as the input from our members. Thanks for your help!

freshwater / Robin

shepherdess - May 19, 2008 7:54 pm (#275 of 351)

Perhaps you should do one for each book, then take the winners of each of those and put them together for "best of series" vote.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #276 to #300

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:28 pm

journeymom - May 19, 2008 9:40 pm (#276 of 351)

I thought Snape's wife's name was Mary Sue.

Bravest moments:

1 - Harry's walk into the forest to meet Voldemort.

2 - Neville stands up to his friends.

3 - Ron faces and overcomes the Harry/Hermione horcrux.

Orion - May 20, 2008 10:03 am (#277 of 351)

Two suggestions for best/most beautiful description, out of HBP:

1 - "It was evening; the hospital wing was quiet, the windows curtained, the lamps lit." (HBP, beginning of chapter 19), and

2 - "The little flock of golden birds continued to twitter in circles around her head so that she looked like a strange, feathery model of the solar system." (HBP, Chapter 14). I've used them as hangmen before because they are two of the most beautiful sentences I can remember.

Mrs Brisbee - May 20, 2008 10:20 am (#278 of 351)

I thought Snape's wife's name was Mary Sue--journeymom

ROFL!!!

Other brave moments from PS/SS:

Firenze takes on Quirrelmort! He seemed to suspect it was Voldemort himself he was taking on, plus he risked the ire of his herd.

Ron deliberately sacrificing himself during the Giant Chess Match.

freshwater - May 20, 2008 1:36 pm (#279 of 351)

Doing these by book and then using the favorites in a best of series poll is a brilliant idea, shepherdess... thanks!

Thanks for the other input, journeymom, Orion and Mrs. B....I would have never thought of Firenze...I'm glad you did!

geauxtigers - May 20, 2008 2:45 pm (#280 of 351)

Off the top of my head, here are a few from each book:

PS: Harry and Ron going to save Hermione from the troll. And also simply going down the trapdoor to face Voldemort, which that in itself could be by itself.

CoS: Harry and Ron following the spiders. Harry and Ron going to save Ginny and standing up Lockhart (how many 12 year olds could or would do that?).

PoA: Going back in time to save Sirius. Harry fighting the Dementors to save himself and Sirius, (on both sections of time, when it was happening and when he did it from across the lake)

GoF: Fighting Voldemort at the end, right before he comes out from behind the tombstone.

OoP: Keeping his mouth shut in detention with Umbridge. Fighting in the DoM and being possessed by Voldy all through the book.

HBP: Going with Dumbledore to the cave and force feeding him the potion. Dumbledore taking on for the team in letting Snape kill him. Snape killing Dumbledore. Harry getting the memory from Slughorn.

DH: Dobby saving everyone from Malfoy Manor. Percy coming back to help fight. The trio living on their own and hunting down the horcruxes. Ron destroying the locket and saving Harry. Two Words: Molly Weasley.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Those are the main ones off the top of my head and I know there are lots more! DH was a hard one to do because that whole book is just bravery, so it'll probably have to be narrowed down quite a bit.

Julia H. - May 20, 2008 3:38 pm (#281 of 351)

Very good points, geauxtigers. I'll just add a few more.

GoF: Harry spending time to take Cedric's body back to his parents while trying to escape from LV and DE's. Snape going back to LV as DD's spy (at all and especially two hours late).

OOTP: Harry saving Dudley from the Dementor was quite a brave moment as well. Neville: "DON'D GIB ID DOD EM!" in the DoM.

DH: Snape facing Voldemort in the Shrieking Shack and trying to do his duty while knowing he is going to die. Snape giving Harry his memories. Harry sacrificing himself. Neville.

mona amon - May 20, 2008 9:54 pm (#282 of 351)

For descriptions-

Description of DD in the first chapter of PS.

1 - Baby Harry peacefully asleep on the doorstep of #4 Privet Drive, his small hand clutching DD's letter. (Sniff!)

2 - That's about as far as I have got in my search for descriptions, but like Orion all my favourites are from HBP-

3 - "Dumbledore's expression did not change, but Harry thought his face whitened under the bloody tinge cast by the setting sun." Of course you have to read it along with what comes before to really appreciate it.

4 - I also like the last few paragraphs of the Lightning Struck Tower chapter, from "At that precise moment the door to the ramparts burst open and there stood Snape... until the end, "...fell slowly backwards, like a great rag doll, over the battlements and out of sight." But maybe that's too long?

geauxtigers - May 20, 2008 10:33 pm (#283 of 351)

Mona, I really like the one about Dumbledore falling. I think that is one of the saddest, yet best descriptions in the series.

Another one would be "He felt his heart pounding fiercely in his chest. How strange that in his dread of death, it pumped all the harder, valiantly keeping him alive. [...] He now saw that his life span had always been determined by how long it took to eliminate all the Horcruxes. Dumbledore had passed on the job of destroying them to him, and obediently he had continued to chip away at the bonds tying not only Voldemort, but himself, to life! How neat, how elegant, not to waste any more lives, but to give the dangerous task to the boy who had been marked for slaughter, and whose death would not be a calamity, but another blow against Voldemort. [...] He stood up. His heart was leaping against his ribs like a frantic bird. Perhaps it knew it had little time left, perhaps it was determined to fulfill a lifetime's beats before the end." (US DH hardback pages 691-694)

I think this is probably the most powerful passage of the series and it's so beautifully written, I didn't type it all up, because it's a couple of pages, but I think if you put that it's the first 4 pages or so of chapter 34, everyone will know what it is. Makes me cry every time I read it.

freshwater - May 21, 2008 5:06 pm (#284 of 351)

Thanks for all the suggestions on brave moments and beautiful descriptions....keep 'em coming!

One of my favorites....although I can't exactly quote it and my books are not nearby....is JKR's description of Harry's first glimpse of the pensieve.....something about the liquid inside it looking like "light made liquid, or wind made solid".

*Hhhmmmph!...must go look it up now as that doesn't begin to do it justice....**
Edited to correct phrase above...

PeskyPixie - May 22, 2008 6:55 pm (#285 of 351)

For some reason I was really moved by the description of Harry Potter, Tom Riddle and Severus Snape as the three abandoned boys who found 'home' at Hogwarts.

Elanor - May 22, 2008 9:44 pm (#286 of 351)

And what about: "And Peeves, who Harry had never seen take an order from a student before, swept his belled hat from his head and sprang to a salute as Fred and George wheeled about to tumultuous applause from the students below and sped out of the open front doors into the glorious sunset."? (OotP, p.595)

From the DH, there is also this very moving one: "And then with a little shudder the elf became quite still, and his eyes were nothing more than great glassy orbs, sprinkled with light from the stars they could not see." (p.476 Sch.)

freshwater - May 23, 2008 7:56 am (#287 of 351)

Pesky, can you point me to the approximate location of that description....somewhere in HBP, I'm guessing?

Nice ones, Elanor...thanks!

PeskyPixie - May 23, 2008 10:03 am (#288 of 351)

1 - "He wanted to be stopped, to be dragged back, to be sent back home ... But he was home. Hogwarts was the first and best home he had known. He and Voldemort and Snape, the abandoned boys, had all found home here ..." -'The Forest Again' in DH (the word in bold is actually italicized in the text)

2 - Here's another one I love, but it's sad . "'Look ... at ... me' he whispered. The green eyes found the black, but after a second something in the depths of the dark pair seemed to vanish, leaving them fixed, blank and empty." -'The Elder Wand' in DH

Hmm, I think I'll go through the series to find some great descriptions from each of the books!

freshwater - May 23, 2008 2:01 pm (#289 of 351)

Hmm, I think I'll go through the series to find some great descriptions from each of the books!--Pesky

Wow! If you do that I'll do all the typing work and give you ALL the credit for those polls! Don't feel like you have to...but if you enjoy compiling info like that, it would be a tremendous help with those polls. Otherwise we'll have to wait for me to finish the re-read of the series suggested in the Read Along of DH thread....and I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up taking more than a year!

Anyway, anything you can contribute to this particular poll effort will be tremendously appreciated, PP!

========================

My laptop screen died last night, and I'm taking it in for repairs tonight....so I may not be able to update the polls on Sunday as usual. At the latest I can do them after work Monday.

PeskyPixie - May 23, 2008 6:25 pm (#290 of 351)

Well, I certainly don't mind putting in my favourites, but many of you know my areas of interest, so it may be in everyone's best interest for others to put in their input as well.

I've got two more today:

1 - "He riffled through the pages, looking for photographs. He came across the one he sought almost at once, the young Dumbledore and his handsome companion, roaring with laughter at some long forgotten joke." -'The Life And Lies Of Albus Dumbledore' in DH (this line just moves me to tears each time I read it; weird but true!)

2 - "... the stranger standing nearest to Harry, a big, rangy man with matted grey hair and whiskers, whose black Death Eater's robes looked uncomfortably tight. He had a voice like none that Harry had ever heard: a rasping bark of a voice. Harry could smell a powerful mixture of dirt, sweat and, unmistakably, of blood coming from him. His filthy hands had long yellowish nails." -'The Lightning-Struck Tower in HBP

HungarianHorntail11 - May 27, 2008 5:10 pm (#291 of 351)

freshwater, one of my favorite descriptions by far:

"Slowly, magnificently, the ship rose out of the water, gleaming in the moonlight. It had a strange skeletal look about it, as though it were a resurrected wreck, and the dim, misty lights shimmering at its portholes looked like ghostly eyes. Finally, with a great sloshing noise, the ship emerged entirely, bobbing on the turbulent water and began to glide toward the bank." GoF Scholastic paperback pg. 246, Chap. 15, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang.

(Nice to watch, not fun to ride, I think. )

As far as the "bravest moments" poll, I think it depends upon how many you come up with. You may or may not be able to lump a few books together. Overall, by book sounds like a good idea.

Anna L. Black - Jun 15, 2008 11:00 am (#292 of 351)

Freshwater, you asked for more Ron quotes - what about the one on my avatar? (For future reference, when my avatar might change: "Really gives a feeling for the scope and tragedy of the thing, doesn't it?" )

journeymom - Jun 15, 2008 11:47 am (#293 of 351)

I second Ron's "Uranus" comment. *snickers adolescently*

DH, Nineteen Years Later:

"A great number of faces, both on the train and off, seemed to be turned towards Harry. 'Why are they all staring?' demanded Albus, as he and Rose craned round to look at the other students. 'Don't let it worry you,' said Ron. 'It's me. I'm extremely famous.'"

Solitaire - Jun 16, 2008 10:27 am (#294 of 351)

LOL journeymom! That is one of my favorites, too!

Solitaire - Jun 16, 2008 1:06 pm (#295 of 351)

I have a couple of ideas for polls. What about the funniest comments made by Fred and George? I agree that one might need to be split into 2-3 polls, as they have some great lines in every book. Another idea: Fred and George's funniest pranks or inventions. Just a thought ...

freshwater - Jun 16, 2008 8:44 pm (#296 of 351)

Excellent ideas, Solitaire! Thanks! I think you're right that --due to the wealth of material-- we'll have to set up several different polls, perhaps by book or first 1/2 and second 1/2 of the series.

freshwater - Jun 22, 2008 10:15 am (#297 of 351)

I've been re-reading in this thread, harvesting ideas for polls, and came across the hilarious discussion about possible different fates for Severus Snape (originally mentioned by Hogwarts Class of 85 in post #230, and continuing --more or less-- through post #270).

I'd like to set up a poll with the different fates suggested by various people --a two-part poll: one part to choose your favorite good fate for SS, the other part to choose your favorite bad fate. But we'd also discussed the possibility of having a thread for "What if....?, where posters could compose their own version of a different fate for Snape.

My question, then, is for Hungarian Horntail11, Orion, Julia and Mrs. Brisbee: May I use the suggestions you've posted (posts 230-270) in the poll....or would you prefer to enter your suggestion in the "What if...?" finish this fate thread? Of course, if we use your original suggestions in the poll, you would also be free to compose a new fate for the write-in thread.

Please let me know, via posts on this thread, ASAP, as I would like to set up both the poll and write-in thread for next weekend. Thanks!

Julia H. - Jun 22, 2008 10:35 am (#298 of 351)
Edited Jun 22, 2008 11:33 am

Freshwater, you have got my permission.

Feel free to make any changes that you like.

Orion - Jun 22, 2008 12:08 pm (#299 of 351)

Freshwater, you're welcome!

Mrs. Sirius - Jul 6, 2008 10:56 pm (#300 of 351)

I've often wondered where Harry and Ginny lived after Hogwarts. Did they take up residence in 12GP with the new and improved Kreacher? Did they get a place in the same neighborhood as the Weasleys and the Lovegoods? Or did they go somewhere else, like GH or near the sea? And what about Hermione and Ron? Do you think they would stay in the same neighborhood as Molly and Arthur? After everything the Weasleys went through with Percy, and then losing Fred and so many of the extended family, I'm betting Molly will want to keep the remaining Weasleys--including the Potters--as close as possible to the old homestead. Any other ideas? - Solitaire

This is Soli's question which I think is really good and has come up in several conversations. Unfortunately, she asked in a thread that is now closed, I considered offering m2k and answering in the catch-all chat thread, however I thought it deserves either a thread or a poll of it's own what do you think?

Soli

I just assumed that Harry and Ginny settled at 12 Grimmauld Place. It was there that Harry took full the mantle. Once he escaped from the Burrow and he wound up at 12GP, he realized he was on his own and that he had to be in charge, a true leader, he became a man at GP in DH.

Sirius left the place to Harry, it belongs to him and answers to him. GH is a destroyed museum/monument. Once Kreacher has come around, GP was actually quite homey. With apparition, being physically near is not that big a problem., JM2K

Maritza

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #301 to #325

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:30 pm

freshwater - Jul 7, 2008 7:23 am (#301 of 351)

That's a good explanation, Mrs. Sirius...but I'd always pictured Harry and Ginny in a big, rambling house in the country....with some land around it, and maybe a pond or stream, like the Burrow. They'd want some play space for the kids, as well as room for a Quidditch pitch. As you say, with Apparating distance is not an issue....and with gas at more than $4 a gallon here, and me having to commute 90 min. round-trip per day next fall, I wish I could Apparate!

Orion - Jul 7, 2008 8:12 am (#302 of 351)

IMO, Harry and Ginny are exactly the types who sell 12 GP after a few years because it isn't the right size, the right neighbourhood, it doesn't have a garden, the primary school isn't good enough for their precious children and so on. They sell it, tell themselves "Sirius would understand" and rebuild in Godric's Hollow because it represents, after all, Harry's roots. Ginny would faithfully go along with everything because the Weasley children tend to go to countries like Egypt and Romania - too much mum at home? And Harry would rather die than move near MIL.

geauxtigers - Jul 7, 2008 12:31 pm (#303 of 351)

I see them more in Godric's Hollow (or close to it) or some place else. But not within sight of Harry's house as a baby because I know I couldn't live near that, and I can't see Harry wanting to either. I agree that they'd be more likely to live somewhere off the beaten path in some other little wizarding village. I see them in a big house in the country as well, sort of like the Burrow is to Ottery St. Catchpole. But if they were to live in Godric's Hollow, I think that they'd live as far away from the broken house as they could and still be considered residents of Godric's Hollow. Does that make sense? Of course, this is just my opinion, I'd love to hear what Jo really did! LOL

As for Ron and Hermione, I see them doing more or less the same as Harry and Ron. Big house in the country like the burrow was.

So to put this into poll format:

Where do you think Harry and Ginny lived after they got married?

A. Godric's Hollow- Harry's got deep roots here

B. Ottery St. Catchpole- Harry couldn't leave the Burrow behind! Ginny couldn't escape mum and dad.

C. 12 Grimmauld Place- Hey, it was free and Kreacher is awesome! Mrs. Black's portrait is still there...

D. Somewhere in the Country- Quidditch anyone?

E. Somewhere in the 'city'- Close to work for Harry

F. In a Muggle neighborhood- just as long as it's not Privet Drive!

G. Somewhere else; state where

Where do you think Ron and Hermione lived after they got married?

A. Godric's Hollow

B. Ottery St. Catchpole- Ron just couldn't escape mum and dad!

C. Somewhere in the country- Open air and a Quidditch pitch!

D. Somewhere in the City- Close to work.

E. In a regular Muggle neighborhood

F. Somewhere else, state where.

Don't forget these weren't all my ideas! Mrs. Sirius suggested it and I used her examples to make the poll!

If anyone has any other ideas, go for it!

freshwater - Jul 7, 2008 2:22 pm (#304 of 351)

Oh, I LOVE a ready-made poll! Well done, geauxtigers and Mrs. Sirius!

I think we need to add one more to the choices for Ron/Hermione:

G. a house in Hogsmeade: Ron Apparates to the Ministry for his Auror work and Hermione walks to work at Hogwarts (Librarian? Arithmancy professor? DADA?)

geauxtigers - Jul 7, 2008 4:03 pm (#305 of 351)

Pst!, freshwater, Hermione works in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement! Jo said so in an interview, though I can't remember which one! But I agree that Hogsmeade should be added. I didn't even think of that! I usually just concentrate on the village part of it, not the residential part!

Orion - Jul 8, 2008 6:05 am (#306 of 351)

Another suggestion for Ron and Hermione: They don't share the unhappy memories of 12 GP which Harry has because they surely knew Sirius, but they didn't love him in the same way Harry did. For them 12 GP was Order headquarters, and later in DH their sanctuary, and Ron apparently loves Kreacher's cooking. Is there a possibility that Harry rents it to them so that he doesn't have to give it up and that Ron and Hermione, who both work in London, don't have to Apparate and they can take the tube or walk?

Anna L. Black - Jul 14, 2008 8:25 am (#307 of 351)

The "favorite spells" poll gave me an idea (which might have been suggested before, I don't know...) - "Which Hallow would you choose?" Since Harry, Ron and Hermione each chose a different object, it might be interesting (then again, as we know what each Hallow does and does not do, maybe not? I think I'll throw it out anyway )

freshwater - Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm (#308 of 351)

Great idea, Anna! I'll post the conversation from the book at the beginning of the poll just to give everyone a basis for making their choice, and then we can go from there. Thanks!

freshwater - Jul 23, 2008 7:24 pm (#309 of 351)

posted so I don't forget....Julia just suggested (on the series re-read-along thread) polls about the greatest weakness and greatest strength of each character......very interesting!

PeskyPixie - Jul 27, 2008 3:43 pm (#310 of 351)

I don't know if it's been done/suggested already, but how about two polls about which character (out of a long list) you'd most like to be stranded with on a deserted island, and which character you'd least like to be stuck with in the same situation?

a) Harry Potter

b) Ron Weasley

c) Hermione Granger

d) Fred/George Weasley

e) Percy Weasley

f) Arthur Weasley

g) Molly Weasley

h) Sirius Black

i) Remus Lupin

j) Nymphadora Tonks

k) Severus Snape

l) Minerva McGonagall

m) Filius Flitwick

n) Pomona Sprout

o) Rubeus Hagrid

p) Gilderoy Lockhart

q) Albus Dumbledore

r) Gellert Grindelwald

s) Tom Riddle (AKA Moldy Voldy)

t) Peter Pettigrew

u) Lucius Malfoy

v) Bellatrix Black Lestrange

w) Lily Evans Potter

x) Petunia Evans Dursley

y) James Potter

z) Vernon Dursley

I'd love to hear the reasons behind the choices as well!

freshwater - Jul 27, 2008 4:28 pm (#311 of 351)

That's a fun idea, Pesky! I see that you missed adding Luna....and Cedric **sighs and fans self...oops, sorry**.....gotta include both of them! Shall we divide it into good guys and bad guys (mostly)...although some people detest Ginny for reasons that are beyond me. And maybe students and adults, too? We could do 4 smaller polls then: student good guys, adult good guys, student baddies and adult baddies.....what do you think?

THANK YOU for providing a list of names....that will save me a LOT of time in setting up the poll!

PeskyPixie - Jul 27, 2008 4:40 pm (#312 of 351)

I'm glad you like it freshwater. And we simply must have Luna and Cedric!

I guess we could do one set of polls with the younger characters, and another set of polls with the adult characters.

I agree that you never know who dislikes which character for what reason. Hmmm, I don't know yet how the good/bad character thing can be organized. Maybe just present the participants with the same list in both situations and let them pick 3-4 characters for each? You never know, someone might actually want to be stuck with Bella while someone else might hate to have only Hermione for company. (I remember JKR saying how she would rather be stranded with Voldy than Lockhart because you know Voldy will just zap you and your suffering will be over. With Lockhart, it'll go on and on and on ... )

freshwater - Jul 27, 2008 6:07 pm (#313 of 351)

Good point! I won't presume to divide good from bad then....we'll have one poll for the younger set...choose who you'd most like and most hate to be marooned with...and the same criteria for the older set.

Personally, I'd rather be marooned with Grawp or the Giant Squid than with Delores! Now if it came down to Delores or a Blast-Ended Skrewt....that's a tough call!

PeskyPixie - Jul 27, 2008 6:26 pm (#314 of 351)

Feel free to add whomever you wish to the list. I had completely forgotten about Grawp and the Skrewts!

Solitaire - Jul 27, 2008 7:16 pm (#315 of 351)

The thing about the characters we do not want to be with is that they fall into such different categories. For example, I wouldn't want to be with Uncle Vernon, Gilderoy Lockhart, OR Bella ... but each for different reasons. I mean, as horrid as Uncle Vernon is, at least he doesn't have a wand.

BTW, freshwater, I'd also take Grawp over Umbridge any day.

PeskyPixie - Jul 27, 2008 8:15 pm (#316 of 351)

So, are you recommending a separate poll for Muggles? Or maybe we should leave the Muggles out of it? There are only two and they can easily be replaced with Luna and Cedric, or any other Magical character for that matter.

freshwater - Jul 27, 2008 9:33 pm (#317 of 351)

Or, we could make yet a third poll for the Muggles and magical creatures....what do you think? Too silly?

Solitaire - Jul 27, 2008 11:27 pm (#318 of 351)

Perhaps the polls could be split into adults and kids, and then they could be grouped within those groups--pests, creatures, and "wizards moste evile," to steal a phrase. Oh, I don't know! Just tossing out some ideas ...

Julia H. - Aug 3, 2008 10:49 am (#319 of 351)

Great idea, Pesky! I think the kids and adults division would be very good - it does not make much sense to compare Dumbledore and Luna, after all. The question of bad characters is difficult: perhaps only the truly bad ones should be included there. Some readers may not like Ginny or Ernie but they are not bad characters and for those who do not find them very irritating choosing between e.g. Ginny and LV would not be a real question, would it? It is more fun if you have to think a bit harder (e.g. whether you would prefer Lockhart to Umbridge or the other way round).

freshwater - Aug 4, 2008 6:25 am (#320 of 351)

Great suggestions, Julia and Solitaire! Thanks! I meant to put up this poll yesterday, but was so behind in packing for our camping trip that I didn't. We'll be home on Saturday so I'll put it up next Sunday.

PeskyPixie - Aug 4, 2008 1:39 pm (#321 of 351)

I think I finally understand what you guys all mean by dividing good characters from bad characters. It would be much more fun to see who people would choose from between Fenrir and Bella than either of them vs. Harry or Luna.

Adult/'child' and good/bad divisions of this poll are great, IMO.

Orion - Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm (#322 of 351)

On the poll about which Hogsmeade locations you'd like to visit, Anna says that she'd like to taste Butterbeer, so wouldn't it be fun to choose our favourite magical food or drink, or even put recipes up and vote for them? I don't know whether it's been done before, though. Probably there are recipes already on the internet somewhere. Still, voting the food and drink would be my original suggestion.

freshwater - Aug 14, 2008 5:44 pm (#323 of 351)

Great idea, Orion! Thanks! Can you start/add to a list?

1 - Butterbeer

2 - Gillywater

3 - Fire Whiskey

4 - pumpkin juice

5 - tea

6 - treacle tart

7 - Honeydukes Best Chocolate...although, we already had a poll on sweets....

What else....?

8 - Hagrid's rock cakes

9 - Mrs. Weasley's stew

Orion - Aug 15, 2008 3:06 am (#324 of 351)

Rosmerta's mulled mead and Mrs Weasley's mince pies... you have certainly a good selection already? I hope more people post food they come across during the read-a-long. Something like chipolatas or peas or roast potatoes we can't poll because it's too ordinary, everybody eats that. (Although I have never in my life heard of chipolatas, they seem to be a sort of sausage.) Notice the comma split in previous sentence.

PeskyPixie - Aug 16, 2008 10:09 am (#325 of 351)

Elf-made blood-red wine? There's probably some left over at Spinner's End if Sev didn't binge himself silly as a result of his highly stressful life.

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here - posts #326 to #351

Post  Potteraholic Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Orion - Aug 16, 2008 10:47 am (#326 of 351)

ROTFL!

Orion - Oct 27, 2008 2:09 pm (#327 of 351)

I'd like to modify my poll suggestion: As the food in the wizarding world seems to be quite down-to-earth traditional English food and a poll about sweets has already been made, how about a poll about drink only? We had the following suggestions:

Butterbeer

Gillywater

Fire Whiskey

pumpkin juice

tea (TEA?)

Rosmerta's mulled mead

Elf-made blood-red wine

Has anybody another suggestion?

Another stupid suggestion for a poll: What would you like to have an elf for? (Like grading English papers...)

freshwater - Oct 27, 2008 4:54 pm (#328 of 351)

Those are both great ideas, Orion....Thanks! These two quick-start ideas may be just what I need to get back to more regular polls again.....

For the one about the elves....maybe I'll state it as:

If you had an elf of your own (yes, Hermione, of course he gets a salary, health benefits, two nights off a week and a week off every six months...) what would you have him/her do?

1) house work: laundry, vacuuming, cleaning

2) yard work and gardening

3) grocery shopping and cooking

4) child care: babysitting, diaper changing, sibling squabbles, etc.

5) paying the bills and car maintenance

What do you think?

As for the favorite wizarding drinks....maybe we should leave off tea and hot cocoa (too common to Muggles) and quiz only on drinks mentioned only in the books...?

Mrs. Sirius - Oct 27, 2008 10:43 pm (#329 of 351)

Oh, man give me that house elf today. I need someone for the housework. I'll do the gardening, the bills even construction and repair....

me and my shadow 813 - Feb 21, 2009 11:33 pm (#330 of 351)

This isn't "series" related, but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to have an idea how forumers view screen text size. I ask because when viewed in "medium" the font colour doesn't appear pronounced, and italics would be effective in citations of other posts, canon, etc. In the "larger" text size setting, the effects of colour are much more pronounced. I tend to use the "larger" setting and wondered how fonts appear to others... Just a thought.

PeskyPixie - Feb 25, 2009 10:59 am (#331 of 351)

Around April or so, I'd be happy to assist freshwater in posting the poll we had planned on last year (you know, "who'd you rather take on a deserted island ..."). That's going to be a fun one!

Ludicrous Patents Office - Feb 25, 2009 6:56 pm (#332 of 351)

I'm looking forward to that. I have some thoughts....

Solitaire - Mar 28, 2009 9:36 pm (#333 of 351)

Oh, we haven't had a poll in ages! Weren't there some suggestions that were never done? I think we need a new one! Come on, some bright person ... I'll put on my thinking cap, too.

PeskyPixie - Mar 28, 2009 9:58 pm (#334 of 351)

I like the "who'd you rather be stranded on an island with?"

I think I might have come up with it, but I like it just the same.

legolas returns - Mar 29, 2009 6:14 am (#335 of 351)

We have got male "who'd you rather be stranded on an island with?" but they are all characters who are students in the books. What about adults? There are a few adults in the female version though.

freshwater - Mar 29, 2009 8:29 am (#336 of 351)

Good point, ligulas. I started to add McGonagall and Sprout to the female list --I wasn't recalling as many significant female students as male students-- but then decided to make a separate 'stranded on a deserted island' poll about professors and other adults, probably in the next round of polls in about 2 weeks. What do you think?

legolas returns - Mar 29, 2009 10:42 am (#337 of 351)

Yes. I think that would be good. Can we make sure that we would be stuck on the island when there was not a full moon . We want to give Lupin a chance of companionship and not feel left out. Bless.

Orion - Mar 29, 2009 10:45 am (#338 of 351)

Pah. Who's afraid of the big bad Moony? We only must make sure that we have Snape with us to make him his potion.

PeskyPixie - Mar 29, 2009 1:47 pm (#339 of 351)

LOL, Orion, that's exactly what I was going to say! If you pick Lupin you had better pack Snape along with you as well.

It would also be cool if we could do a similar poll where we'd have to choose between two options. For example: 1) Harry Potter or Hermione Granger; 2) Neville Longbottom or Ron Weasley; 3)Albus Dumbledore or Minerva McGonagall; 4) Rubeus Hagrid or Severus Snape; etc.

Then we could do another one for the bad characters, then yet another for magical animals or objects! Wow, I'm getting excited! I am definitely up for assisting freshwater in creating these polls in the near future if anyone is interested in taking them.

freshwater - Mar 29, 2009 1:57 pm (#340 of 351)

It would also be cool if we could do a similar poll where we'd have to choose between two options. For example: 1) Harry Potter or Hermione Granger; 2) Neville Longbottom or Ron Weasley...--Pesky Pixie

Brilliant idea, PP! Thanks! That's how I'll set up the next poll about professors / adults....next weekend hopefully.

PeskyPixie - Mar 29, 2009 2:10 pm (#341 of 351)

Great, freshwater! Let me know if you need any help.

Orion - Mar 30, 2009 9:14 am (#342 of 351)

Good idea! And if we have Snape and Lupin on one island at the same time we have additional entertainment because we sit and eat popcorn and watch them squabble every day.

Orion - Mar 31, 2009 10:17 am (#343 of 351)

Another suggestion for a poll: How about "Find your inner Hagrid - which magical beast would you like to have on your sofa?" Or maybe this has already been a poll, then simply ignore this suggestion please.

Solitaire - Apr 5, 2009 11:49 am (#344 of 351)

Actually, Orion, watching the same people squabble over the same things every day gets really annoying. I know ... I see it happen in school. I love it when the bell rings and my squabblers go and "entertain" someone else.

freshwater - May 17, 2009 7:42 am (#345 of 351)

I want to apologize for seemingly abandoning the poll thread once again. The end of this school year has proven to be far more challenging than I could have ever foreseen. That, combined with the challenges of moving out of my house into a tiny apartment within the next month, have kept me from indulging in my preferred pastimes here on the forum.

I will move at the end of June, and hope to be back on top of the polls threads by early July. In the meantime, if someone else would like to play in this sandbox, I would certainly not feel territorial or offended in any way.

PeskyPixie - May 17, 2009 9:23 am (#346 of 351)

I can wait for you, freshwater. However, I will try to put some stuff together for your polls so you don't have to start from scratch in July. I have a few ideas for the various 'who'd you rather be stranded with ...' we've got planned.

freshwater - May 17, 2009 10:17 am (#347 of 351)

Anything you want to pull together will be, I'm sure, just brilliant, Pesky! Thank you!

shepherdess - Jan 3, 2010 4:27 pm (#348 of 351)

Freshwater, your pole about Christmas memories made me think of something. Harry Potter is a cultural phenomenon. We've heard stories about kids (and adults) who don't like to read learning to enjoy reading because of the HP series. We've heard of non-native English speaking people learning English to read/by reading the books in its original language. And of course some people's lives have been affected simply by being involved in the HP/internet phenomenon.

What about a pole about how the Harry Potter books/movies/sites have affected/influenced people's lives?

me and my shadow 813 - May 4, 2010 3:26 pm (#349 of 351)

Poll suggestion:

Which Patronus would suit you best and why?

A) Harry / James's Stag

B) Severus / Lily's Doe

C) Dumbledore's Phoenix

D) Ron's Terrier

E) Hermione's Otter

F) Ginny's Horse

G) Luna's Hare

H) Cho's Swan

I) Seamus' Fox

J) Kingsley's Lynx

K) McGonagall's Cat

L) Arthur's Weasel

M) Tonk's Wolf

N) Sirius's Dog (assumed)

O) Aberforth's Goat

Did I forget someone? (although we know what Umbridge's is, who cares! -- and it's a duplicate of McGonagall's)

What do you guys think?

Julia H. - May 4, 2010 11:17 pm (#350 of 351)

Very interesting idea for a poll! As for the list, I think we also know about Ernie's boar.

me and my shadow 813 - May 5, 2010 7:19 pm (#351 of 351)

Well spotted, Julia, mustn't leave out Ernie and his bore! -- I mean, boar! **wondering why there weren't any stubborn wizards with a mule Patronus**

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here Empty Re: Poll Suggestions - Submit Yours Here

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down