Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI)

Page 2 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 41  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVI)

Post  Verity Weasley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:35 am

NON-POST

Spoiler:
I'm very sorry you feel that way PAH. Since you started this new thread, the only visitors, besides yourself, have been Mona and myself, and I feel that throughout our years of playing this game, Mona and I have been demonstrably appreciative of all of your efforts. I think everybody on here knows what a great job you do with behind the scenes stuff, especially when it comes to HTML coding and tricky stuff like that, even if they don't always say so. In my first post in this story, I may not have explicitly thanked you for starting the thread, but I conveyed my excitement and pleasure at the start of a new story and maybe I relied on smileys to get the message across instead of using actual words. However, I did post a message in the chat thread, (where more people were likely to see it) acknowledging your efforts.

I for one will be very sad if you no longer participate in five words. But it's obviously your choice. There doesn't seem much point in you continuing to compile the story and stats if you're not participating in the story though. Surely that would lead to you just feeling even more unappreciated than you do now. And I'm sorry you feel that way.

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story 142

Post  Mona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:56 am

to capture him on canvas
Spoiler:
for posterity or something
And I thought the handsome middle-aged wizard was looking for someone to date!

To PAH ~
Spoiler:
PAH, I'm sorry you still feel that way. I knew this was the problem from the beginning, but didn't say anything because, unlike Verity, I have nothing nice to say. The fact is, I cannot keep thanking people for anything and everything, all of the time. It becomes a chore, and it becomes totally meaningless, IMO. I will express appreciation for anything that really gets my attention, but I feel that there are many things in life that are just taken for granted, and that's good! If my family suddenly started thanking me for everything that I do, I'd feel most uncomfortable.

I hope very much that you'll reconsider your decicion and start posting again, but I must tell you that I will not express gratitude (to you or anyone else) for starting new threads (to name just one thing), no matter how much time it took. I've started threads myself and know it's not such a big deal. If you want to spend time copying all the header info, etc, that's your decicion and I assume your doing it because you like it that way, and not just for my sake. I'm also not fussed about threads splitting and continuing on their own, after the limit is reached. I feel that on the whole we've been very appreciative of you, and I'm sorry you want to disregard all that everytime you do some extra work and don't get specifically thanked for it.

I really feel there's no point in your continuing to post updates etc, if you're not planning to post. Verity and I have been carrying on bravely, but it's a strain - the atmosphere isn't OK, and if this continues, you'll probably soon have nothing to update or archive. However, I'll be really sad if you decide not to come back.

In short, I will continue to be an unappreciative wretch, but we miss you! Come back!

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:13 am

for posterity. Gallons of galleons

Well, maybe he'll get a female artist! LOL

Can you believe, I didn't check your suggestion until after I typed my words! GMTA!

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story 142

Post  Mona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:52 am

on offer for the one

Verity! I didn't really think anyone would be stumped, so I don't know why I posted the suggestion!

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:59 am

with the best credentials. Contact

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story 142

Post  Mona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:37 am

Gilderoy Lockhart, St Mungo's Hospital.

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:16 am

FOR SALE - autographed copy of

LOL Mona! Absolutely perfect choice!

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story 142

Post  Mona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:11 pm

The Invisible Book of Invisibility

Thanks, Verity!

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Potteraholic on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:37 pm

image c/o www.stopbigmedia.com/
potterwatch

. Never been read, bookmark                                               {Walton-on-the-Naze}

I imagined a bookmark is included, to aid in visibility.

Adding a location to the first ad, next to: Ichabod Inglewright, Walton-on-the-Naze, since the other 2 ads had very specific locations mentioned where letters of inquiry could be sent.

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:10 pm

included, also invisible. A steal

Great place name! Is it a real place?

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story 142

Post  azi on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:46 pm

at only five galleons! Those

Walton-on-the-Naze is a real place - I've been there. It's in Essex (to the east of London ish) and is a coastal town with a tower.
azi
Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Potteraholic on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 pm

potterwatch

interested please contact Mrs. Gertrude                

I was thinking that the bookmark would be visible, so the prospective buyer could actually see the book... an aid to visibility (perhaps 'in' was the wrong preposition.)

Yes, Walton-on-the-Naze is a quiet seaside town, or it was when I was a first-year teacher in England in the early 90's. I was assigned the job of organizing a school journey there, for the whole school, nursery to top juniors, including making arrangements for a special reserved BritRail train for the whole journey. The weather cooperated and we had a lovely day at the seaside on a warm(ish) July day.

I just wanted to clarify some points that were raised earlier about the way I start the Five Words threads and other threads, to show that there is method to my madness :

Spoiler:
• Yes, starting a thread is not that hard to do. It is just as easy as starting a post. The difference occurs when continuing a thread that already started in a different volume. The reason the current Five Word header looks as it does, with the exception of the bulletin board, is because that is how Finn BV, the creator of this this thread, had the first 8 or 9 volumes formatted. (The only difference was, past volumes were arranged in a list, not a table.) It was a practice both he and Kip Carter set-up, and one I continued when I took over for Finn and Kip. So I copy over the header information not because I like it that way, but because it was the precedent set before, for the benefit of new Five Worders to see, at a glance, the breadth of the volumes that came before, and have access to them, if they wanted to read any of the older stories.

• Another precedent that Kip Carter started was to let us know when a thread was about to end, a game thread or otherwise, so that a new one could be started when the old one finished. On World Crossing, the post count was finite, and it was easy to know when to start a new thread since it would be physically impossible to post a comment when a thread reached its max. The same is not true here on forumotion. Again, some people may not mind when a thread just splits and continues on its own, but I choose to follow Kip's example. He always included the relevant info. from the previous thread's header into the header post of the new thread. This post provided an intro. and brief history of the thread, as well as any relevant links to other threads, like Archives, etc. That will not happen when a thread just splits unexpectedly. Kip liked to be organized on WX, and I tried to follow his example, both there, and here on forumotion.

In short, when it came to continuing existing threads and formatting header posts, I chose to follow the example set by the two who had done it many times before me. If it was good enough for Finn, and Kip, especially, then it was good enough for me. I will continue to set up future Five Words threads in the same way. I like following established practices. The other threads can happen as they may.

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Gannymead, Obscurus Books.

LOST - A

Regarding starting new threads:

Spoiler:
I understand that starting new threads involves a lot of extra work because you have such high standards PAH, and want things done right. The archiving that you have done of the Five Words threads is fantastic. There is nothing like it for any of the other threads. Being able to look through the index and find a particular story is great, as well as the extra links you've set up, like the ones linking to posters' first stories. Although Finn created this thread, it has totally morphed from those early days and you have been more instrumental in running it and managing it than Finn or Kip. So, I really don't think you need to continue to follow Finn's or Kip's header posts if you don't want to. You have already put your stamp on it with the links and bulletin board. If you wanted to re-design the entire header post I don't think anyone would mind, and I don't think anyone would have cause for complaint.

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story 142

Post  Mona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:38 pm

large purple pet toad. Last

Spoiler:
seen in...was what I was thinking

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:59 pm

seen in Knockturn Alley on

BTW, I forgot to mention before - it was great to check the thread this morning and see that there had been a mini spree!

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Potteraholic on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:08 am

potterwatch

Halloween morning, in front of                

Thanks for your note, Verity. I actually do like how Finn and Kip set things up in the Five Words header posts, as it shows its history throughout the volumes; I doubt either Finn or Kip ever thought there would be so many of these stories! And I have tweaked things here and there as time went on, but I will just leave things as they are for now.

As I have my trusty MacBook back, all spiffed up with its memory intact, I will get back into the reposting swing of things and finish the read-along threads I volunteered to repost for Julia, and some shorter threads John B. sent me recently. I can fit in some good chunks of reposting while my potions on Pottermore brew, whenever that site is back up and running. I'm looking forward to actually reading some of these reposted threads soon! Maybe at Christmas!

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:46 am

Borgin and Burkes. Answers to

No time to post comments in my last post.

PAH, I somehow missed your comment about the bookmark, but anyway I was thinking of it as a sort of hoax on the gullible - selling a book that isn't actually there.

I just wanted to clarify some points that were raised earlier about the way I start the Five Words threads and other threads, to show that there is method to my madness
Spoiler:
PAH, I do not at all find fault with the way you start the threads. In fact I do appreciate what you do, and realise that it's hard work. Just don't get too upset if people either don't notice, or don't say thanks, etc etc. Appreciation when it comes, is very pleasant. But if it doesn't, you've always got the comfort of knowing that you've done a good job and have things organised the way you want them. Smile

I have started reading the first Snape thread and am taking notes for my index, but it's progressing very slowly.

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Potteraholic on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:05 am

potterwatch

the name of Miss Amethyst.                

Thanks for your note, Mona. No worries, I now fully appreciate...
Spoiler:
... that we all have different expectations. In any case, as Five Words is really the only thread I am invested in, I will just stick to this little corner of this section from now on, and update the other games archives as needed, which is just about twice a month, these days, if that. There are a few more threads I'm going to repost, and then, when those are finished, I will settle in for some long overdue reading of them.

Felix felicis on the index!

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:25 am

If sighted, please contact Bombina

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 am

Bombeck, Knutsford.

FOR SALE: a

Only just realized that it was Azi who popped in and answered my question about Walton-on-the-Naze! I thought it was PAH because of the green font colour!

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:43 am

fine brass cauldron, slightly worn

Oh my goodness Mona, I did exactly the same thing! I guess I'm so used to it just being the three of us, with occasional visits from Julia, and then the green font just automatically made me think of PAH. I really must try to be more observant!

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Potteraholic on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:02 pm

potterwatch

with the slightest of dents                

The following message is written in a larger font, so that colors stand out more.

The green I use is a slightly darker shade of green than what azi uses. I think it is akin to green, just a touch.

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:22 pm

. Very thick bottom. Great for

Some people really care about cauldron bottoms after all!

Thanks for the green comparison, PAH. I will try to be more observant in future!

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Story 142

Post  Mona on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:40 pm

potions, poisons, or stews. Contact

There was Azi's avatar too, and yet I missed all that and mistook her for PAH. Smile

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Story #142

Post  Verity Weasley on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:07 am

Hazel Hemlock, Hanging Langford.

WANTED:

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down