HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

+12
HungarianHorntail11
Ludicrous Patents Office
Dryleaves
Betelgeuse Black
Madam Pince
azi
Lady Arabella
Choices
Julia H.
Verity Weasley
Puck
Potteraholic
16 posters

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next

Go down

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 Empty Re: Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Post  Choices Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 pm

From here on, my guesses may be considered "wild"...........Could it be a Dementor?
(Like all my guesses haven't been wild. LOL)
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 Empty Re: Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Post  Julia H. Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 am

Interesting guesses Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508 , Verity and Choices, but the answer is neither the Grey Lady, nor a Dementor.

Keep guessing, please. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1205762161 Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 464751818

Meant to protect – oh, but failed
When my secret was unveiled
But the trouble was contained
And at my post I remained.

Although I was friend to none
Though some harm was also done
Though I had none to protect
I was held in great respect.

Yet, in vain I’m strong as steel
I have my Achilles heel
When my old betrayer came
An accomplice I became.

Hint: There is something that I share with Wormtail but not with Peter.
Hint 2: My Achilles heel is not really a heel, but it's down there somewhere.
Hint 3: I'm tangible, though not easy to touch.

Guessed: The Fat Lady, Sir Cadogan, Dumbledore Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 3631154839 , Barty Crouch Sr., Snape Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 858139975, Wormtail, Mrs Norris, Aragog, Mad-Eye Moody, Barty Crouch Jr disguised as Mad Eye, Wormtail's new hand, the dragon that protects the vaults at Gringotts, the Fidelius Charm, the Invisibility Cloak, the Grey Lady, a Dementor.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 pm

More grasping at straws.....Could it be Peter Pettigrew, the secret keeper who betrayed James and Lily?
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Julia......are you out there? Hope my guess didn't scare you off. LOL Siriusly, I hope you are OK and just taking a break. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1437562208 Life has been busy lately, but I'm still out here...

Thanks for the guess, Choices! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508 The answer is not Peter Pettigrew, but keep guessing, please.

I look forward to your guesses. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1205762161 Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 464751818

I have my Achilles heel
An accomplice I became.

Guessed: The Fat Lady, Sir Cadogan, Dumbledore Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 3631154839 , Barty Crouch Sr., Snape Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 858139975, Wormtail, Mrs Norris, Aragog, Mad-Eye Moody, Barty Crouch Jr disguised as Mad Eye, Wormtail's new hand, the dragon that protects the vaults at Gringotts, the Fidelius Charm, the Invisibility Cloak, the Grey Lady, a Dementor, Peter Pettigrew, the secret keeper who betrayed James and Lily.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:45 pm

The riddle has probably been feeling very neglected, but I'm really stumped, and I'd say Choices is too. What we need is some new blood making guesses, to possibly point us in a new direction.

Any new guess I come up seems to fit some of the clues, but not all of them, but here goes anyway - is it Buckbeak / Witherwings?
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:11 am

Oh, a new guess! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508 Verity, Buckbeak / Witherwings is not the answer, but your guess has inspired a new hint!

For a few days, I will be away and without internet access, but keep guessing, please. Perhaps you will have found out the answer by the time I come back. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1205762161 Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 464751818

I have my Achilles heel
An accomplice I became.

Hint 4: I'm not Buckbeak, but I can say this: What is under me at one point will be above Buckbeak later. By the way, there is something I share with Witherwings (see the first hint).

Guessed: The Fat Lady, Sir Cadogan, Dumbledore Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 3631154839 , Barty Crouch Sr., Snape Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 858139975, Wormtail, Mrs Norris, Aragog, Mad-Eye Moody, Barty Crouch Jr disguised as Mad Eye, Wormtail's new hand, the dragon that protects the vaults at Gringotts, the Fidelius Charm, the Invisibility Cloak, the Grey Lady, a Dementor, Peter Pettigrew, the secret keeper who betrayed James and Lily, Buckbeak / Witherwings.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 am

OK, with the added hint, I'm thinking that the answer has some sort of alias. I think that's what the answer shares with Wormtail but not with Peter.

What things were above Buckbeak? Sirius? An axe? (technically that wasn't above Buckbeak though) Harry? Can anybody think of anything else that was above Buckbeak?

So what has an alias and was above Harry or Sirius at some point? Oh and fits all the other clues too? Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 464751818

I've still got no idea.

Nearly Headless Nick?
The Bloody Baron?
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Sirius (Sirius in his animagus form of Padfoot) came to my mind also. If it's not him, then I am stumped. I am not ignoring the riddle - I come here every day and read it and try to come up with a guess, but I have about reached a dead end. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2398211921
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  azi Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:04 pm

The first thing that came to mind for me was Crookshanks.
azi
azi
Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:58 am

Padfoot?
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for the great guesses, everyone! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508 I hope you have had a wonderful Easter / weekend (I've just come back from holiday this afternoon).

This riddle seems to be more obscure than I intended, but you are getting closer now!

Verity, the answer is neither Nearly Headless Nick, nor the Bloody Baron, but one of your questions regarding the hint is on the right track. By the way, the hints do not mean that the answer has an alias. They refer to something more simple perhaps (and perhaps more obsure). Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 266347159

Choices and Mona, Sirius / Padfoot is not the answer but he is mentioned in the riddle (and referred to by one of the hints). Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 464751818

Azi, Crookshanks has something to do with the answer, especially with the "Achilles heel". Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2222139670

There is a new hint! Keep guessing, please. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1205762161

I have my Achilles heel
An accomplice I became.

Hint 4: I'm not Buckbeak, but I can say this: What is under me at one point will be above Buckbeak later. By the way, there is something I share with Witherwings (see the first hint).
Hint 5: I have neither tail, nor wings.

Guessed: The Fat Lady, Sir Cadogan, Dumbledore Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 3631154839 , Barty Crouch Sr., Snape Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 858139975, Wormtail, Mrs Norris, Aragog, Mad-Eye Moody, Barty Crouch Jr disguised as Mad Eye, Wormtail's new hand, the dragon that protects the vaults at Gringotts, the Fidelius Charm, the Invisibility Cloak, the Grey Lady, a Dementor, Peter Pettigrew, the secret keeper who betrayed James and Lily, Buckbeak / Witherwings, Nearly Headless Nick, the Bloody Baron, Sirius, Crookshanks, Padfoot.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:22 pm

I have no idea either. Mundungus Fletcher?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Thanks for the guess, Shepherdess! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508 Mundungus Fletcher is not the answer.

Keep guessing, please. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1205762161

I have my Achilles heel
An accomplice I became.

Guessed: The Fat Lady, Sir Cadogan, Dumbledore Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 3631154839 , Barty Crouch Sr., Snape Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 858139975, Wormtail, Mrs Norris, Aragog, Mad-Eye Moody, Barty Crouch Jr disguised as Mad Eye, Wormtail's new hand, the dragon that protects the vaults at Gringotts, the Fidelius Charm, the Invisibility Cloak, the Grey Lady, a Dementor, Peter Pettigrew, the secret keeper who betrayed James and Lily, Buckbeak / Witherwings, Nearly Headless Nick, the Bloody Baron, Sirius, Crookshanks, Padfoot, Mundungus Fletcher.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Well now I really am totally stumped. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1242326132 If the answer does not have an alias, then I really can't imagine what hints 1 and 4 refer to. What does Wormtail have that Peter doesn't? We know it can't be a tail. The thing it shares with Witherwings seems to be the same thing it shares with Wormtail, but if not an alias, then what? OK - a flash of inspiration! I guess sometimes these rambling 'thinking aloud' posts can help. I now think that hints 1 and 4 refer to the letter W! Does the answer we're looking for begin with a W?

I need to think about this for a while. In the meantime, Choices, Azi, Shepherdess - feel free to make W related guesses! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508

Edit: OK, I think I might have figured this out. Is it the Whomping Willow?
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:30 am

Yes!!! The riddle has been solved! Congratulations, Verity! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1205762161 Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2942856553 The answer is indeed the Whomping Willow!

The explanation:

The Whomping Willow was planted to protect everyone at Hogwarts when Lupin became a Hogwarts student. However, this protection did not work very well after the Marauders discovered the secret.

The Marauders had some sort of control over the werewolf, so no one (not even Severus) got injured or killed. Lupin's secret eventually remained (sort of) secret, thanks to Dumbledore and to the promise Severus made.

The Whomping Willow continued to stand in its old place even after Lupin left the school.

Well, not a friendly plant, is it?

Just think of Mr Weasley's car ... or Harry's broomstick.

When Lupin was not in the school, the tree had no particular purpose any more.

Everyone kept a respectful distance from the tree and Snape described it as "a very valuable Whomping Willow".

Strong enough to damage a car...

I have my Achilles heel
This line refers to the knot that had to be touched to immobilize the tree.

An accomplice I became.

Sirius, who had once betrayed the secret of the tree (as well as Lupin's secret) to Severus, returned to the Shrieking Shack as an alleged murderer and used the tunnel that the Whomping Willow was still "guarding" as an entrance to the school.

As Verity says, it is indeed the letter W.

A knot on the trunk.

Unless you can touch that knot, you'd better not touch the tree at all!

In order to go into the tunnel, Sirius had to go under the Whomping Willow at some point. Later he left Hogwarts riding Buckbeak. Witherwings contains two W's.

Not an animal but a plant.

Guessed: The Fat Lady, Sir Cadogan, Dumbledore Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 3631154839 , Barty Crouch Sr., Snape Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 858139975, Wormtail, Mrs Norris, Aragog, Mad-Eye Moody, Barty Crouch Jr disguised as Mad Eye, Wormtail's new hand, the dragon that protects the vaults at Gringotts, the Fidelius Charm, the Invisibility Cloak, the Grey Lady, a Dementor, Peter Pettigrew, the secret keeper who betrayed James and Lily, Buckbeak / Witherwings, Nearly Headless Nick, the Bloody Baron, Sirius, Crookshanks, Padfoot, Mundungus Fletcher.

Thanks to everyone who has played so patiently, and well done, Verity! I look forward to your next riddle!
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 am

Thanks Julia! cheers Of course the answer makes perfect sense now we know what it is! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508

I'm glad to have finally solved the riddle, but now I have to think of a new one! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 793915934
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Now, that was a RIDDLE with a capital "R" and congratulations to Verity for solving it. Well done, well done! It does make perfect sense now that it has been explained - a very well thought out and executed mystery presented to us for the solving. Knowing the answer is definitely a relief - my brain is tired out from trying to figure it out. Verity, I look forward to your riddle. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:47 am

OK, here's a new riddle. It's short and sweet, and I expect the solving process will also be short and sweet. My brain is still exhausted from solving Julia's last riddle, so there weren't many little grey cells left to think up a new one! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1003735042

Orange and red
wall, book, bed
Reverse roles if you want to be unkind
But some would say we've been maligned
Two little ducks will be the charm
Fingers crossed - maybe the whole arm!

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:48 pm

OK, somebody has to make the first wrong guess, so I guess I'll jump in. Is it Ron's favorite Quidditch team, the Chudley Cannons?
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Congratulations Choices! You have the answer. It is indeed Ron's favourite Quidditch team, the Chudley Cannons. cheers That was a 'blink and you'll miss it' riddle. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1437562208 I had a hunch that putting 'orange' in there was going to be a giveaway. Anyway, now you get to do the next riddle! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2775603007

I doubt it's necessary, but here's my explanation anyway:

Orange and red
Orange is the main colour of the Chudley Cannons, Red is for Ron - their biggest fan
wall, book, bed
The places where we see the Chudley Cannons
Reverse roles if you want to be unkind
'Roles' is an anagram of 'loser' - not exactly reversed but close enough
But some would say we've been maligned
Ron prefers to focus on their successes, even though it's been a while
Two little ducks will be the charm
They've won the league 21 times, so their next victory would make it 22 - two little ducks in bingo-calling vernacular
Fingers crossed - maybe the whole arm!
After 1972 they changed their motto from 'We shall conquer' to 'Let's all just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.'

Congratulations again Choices. I'll look forward to your riddle. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1003735042
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Oh my word....... Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 1933885729 I can't believe I actually guessed it. The first time I read it, I was at a total loss as to what it was, but later while I was reading, it just popped into my head that orange was the color of Ron's favorite team and it clicked. Wow! OK, now I have to come up with a riddle......so, let me think and I'll get back here to post it. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:14 pm

OK, I think I'm ready........I am really so bad at riddles, but here is my offering.

Seek me high, seek me low
Chase me round, don't let me go.
Warning, warning, all beware
You ought to know I don't play fair.
I'm more than one, so come explore
Your guesses now I do implore!

What am I?

There it is - Good luck! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508

Last edited by Choices on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Oh, I missed Verity's riddle (I'm sorry!), and now there is a new one! Congratulations, Choices! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508

I'm pretty sure this is not the answer, but some of the clues remind of the Elder Wand, so I might as well start the riddle off with the first wrong guess. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 464751818

Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for making the first guess, Julia. It is not the Elder Wand, but please keep trying. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 24 2752390508

Seek me high, seek me low
Chase me round, don't let me go.
Warning, warning, all beware
You ought to know I don't play fair.
I'm more than one, so come explore
Your guesses now I do implore!

What am I?

Guessed: The Elder Wand

Last edited by Choices on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 32 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next