Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Page 30 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Post  Julia H. on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Lady Arabella, you are clooooose! The Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory is not the answer to the riddle but it is the "answer" to one of the clues, and the answer to the riddle is only a step away!

Choices, the answer is not the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use, but keep trying. Let's see the interpretation of the clues:

OK, these lines make me think of Narcissa and Snape and the Unbreakable Vow. Those lines indeed refer to one of these three.

These lines make me think of Hermione and the Time Turner or Dumbledore's Pensieve. That's not the direction to take.

These lines make me think of Dumbledore and Grindelwald. You need another pair here.

These lines make me think of someone or something who supplied the solution to killing/stopping Voldemeort. That's definitely correct.

I have added another hint.

Keep guessing, please.

Something for her, something for him
In a riddle asked on a whim
You will find out you must go back
From time to time on your own track
It’s getting clearer and clearer
As we are nearer and nearer
A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor
The connection, one tried to hide
The other one flatly denied
But I made my contribution
With the key to the solution
Of a riddle sly
Who or what am I?

Hint: When the word riddle is mentioned in this riddle, it does not refer to this riddle but to a 'riddle' in the books.

Hint 2: I think lines 3-6 reveal the most about the nature (or category) of the answer.

Hint 3: The word riddle is mentioned twice in the riddle and it refers to two different 'riddles' in two different books.

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Is it the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class?

(My brain hurts )
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi! *** waves to Lady Arabella *** The Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class is not the answer, but you are still close!

Keep guessing, please.

A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor
Of a riddle sly
Who or what am I?

Hint: When the word riddle is mentioned in this riddle, it does not refer to this riddle but to a 'riddle' in the books.

Hint 2: I think lines 3-6 reveal the most about the nature (or category) of the answer.

Hint 3: The word riddle is mentioned twice in the riddle and it refers to two different 'riddles' in two different books.

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Trying to recap . . .

1. The answer does not involve time-turners or Pensieves
2. The answer involves Harry
3. Snape is mentioned in the riddle, but not necessarily in the answer
4. The timeline seems to be 6th year, when Draco is trying to kill Dumbledore
5. A Love Potion & the Logic/Potion Puzzle from first year are good guesses - they both are potions.
6. The second "riddle" within the riddle refers to Tom Riddle/Voldemort
7. The last clue involves someone who supplies the solution to killing/stopping Voldemort

Is this correct so far?

The only other guess I have is Slughorn . . . . . . although how that involves Harry, I don't know! Slughorn's Potions Class??
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Lady Arabella Slughorn and Slughorn's Potions Class have a lot to do with the riddle, but I would say that the answer is in a way "between" your previous two answers.

The recap is good, with two corrections: The answer has a lot to do with Harry but it does not necessarily "involve" him, though it is possible to word the answer in such a way that it "involves" Harry. In the last part, "someone" might have to be replaced with "something".

Keep guessing, please.

A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor
Of a riddle sly
Who or what am I?

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class, Slughorn, Slughorn's Potions Class.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:23 pm

In the interests of eliminating some possibilities to help Lady A solve this riddle, is it the bottle containing Slughorn's memory of the Horcrux incident?

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks for the guess, Verity! The answer is not the bottle containing Slughorn's memory of the Horcrux incident.

I'm adding a give-away hint.

Keep guessing, please.

A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor
Of a riddle sly
Who or what am I?

Hint 1: When the word riddle is mentioned in this riddle, it does not refer to this riddle but to a 'riddle' in the books.

Hint 4: I'm a paradox.

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class, Slughorn, Slughorn's Potions Class, the bottle containing Slughorn's memory of the Horcrux incident.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 pm

lol! ROFL at Verity! *giggle* *snort* You are too funny! And so helpful!!

I'm stumped.

I was looking at these lines, and what I think of are Horcruxes
Of a riddle sly

To me the key to the solution of Lord Voldemort/Tom Riddle is the destruction of Horcruxes. But I don't see how that relates to anything that's been discussed so far.

Dumbldore said the key to defeating Voldemort was Harry's ability to love (although I don't think that premise was ever put to use in the books). Based on that, with the connection to Potions, Slughorn's class, etc. I would guess Amortentia but that doesn't truly create love . . . . .

The thing that really defeated Voldemort was the Elder Wand, but that was the 7th book . . . . .

Somehow hearing the that the answer to the riddle is a paradox doesn't help me. That's like saying the answer to a riddle is a riddle.

I'm out of ideas . . . .
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Oh, Lady Arabella and everyone else, please don't give up! You are right there, just one step from the answer! You have guessed everything around the answer, except the answer itself.

To me the key to the solution of Lord Voldemort/Tom Riddle is the destruction of Horcruxes. But I don't see how that relates to anything that's been discussed so far.

The riddle mentions a "riddle", which, as you have very well guessed, has to do with understanding how to defeat Voldemort (i.e. through the destruction of Horcruxes). The answer or solution to this "riddle" is in Slughorn's memory, which has been guessed. The "key" to this answer (to the acquisition of the memory) is something that you have also guessed. But the answer to my riddle is a paradox or oxymoron that supplies the aforementioned "key". It is something to do with Potions, Harry and Snape, and it has been the subject of another "riddle" in another book.

Keep guessing, please.

A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor
Of a riddle sly
Who or what am I?

Hint 1: When the word riddle is mentioned in this riddle, it does not refer to this riddle but to a 'riddle' in the books.

Hint 4: I'm a paradox or maybe an oxymoron: the juxtaposition of contradictory concepts.

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class, Slughorn, Slughorn's Potions Class, the bottle containing Slughorn's memory of the Horcrux incident.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  azi on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:56 pm

The only thing I can think of is the wine that Harry feeds Slughorn to get the memory out of him, because wine is also in some of the bottles for Snape's riddle in book 1.
azi
Fourth Year
Fourth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for the guess, Azi! The answer is not the wine that Harry feeds Slughorn to get the memory out of him, but it's a good idea to look for something that is mentioned in Book 1, too, although not necessarily in a real riddle. (I used the word 'riddle' in a very broad sense.) But, as you have guessed, it has everything to do with Snape and Potions.

Keep guessing, please.

A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor
Of a riddle sly
Who or what am I?

Hint 4: I'm a paradox or maybe an oxymoron: the juxtaposition of contradictory concepts.

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class, Slughorn, Slughorn's Potions Class, the bottle containing Slughorn's memory of the Horcrux incident, the wine that Harry feeds Slughorn to get the memory out of him.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:45 am

So with Julia's latest clue, I'm thinking it might be the bezoar, but I'm not quite sure how it would fit all the clues.

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:48 am

Great guess, Verity! You are thinking in the correct direction. The answer is not the bezoar, but ...

Keep guessing, please.

A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor
Of a riddle sly
Who or what am I?

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class, Slughorn, Slughorn's Potions Class, the bottle containing Slughorn's memory of the Horcrux incident, the wine that Harry feeds Slughorn to get the memory out of him, the bezoar.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:57 am

OK, here goes with another guess along the same lines then - the Draught of Living Death?

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:06 am

Well done, Verity! The answer is indeed the Draught of Living Death! Here is the explanation:

"What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Though not exactly a riddle, Snape's question in Book 1 seems puzzling enough to Harry. Asphodel is a plant of the "lily" family, so it could be a symbolic reference to Lily, while wormwood stands for 'bitterness', and it is also a medicinal plant, therefore it could refer to Snape.

"... add a clockwise stir after every seventh counter-clockwise stir" - instruction from the HBP's Potions Book on how to make the Draught of Living Death.

The colour of the potion turns from deep purple to liliac to the palest pink and finally it must be "clear as water".

A remarkable successor
To a worthy predecessor

That's Harry and Snape as Slughorn's students. Slughorn compares Harry's talent to Severus's, citing his Draught of Living Death as evidence.

Harry tried to hide the book that was the source of his brilliance.

"Funny, I never had the impression that I managed to teach Potter anything at all." Snape when Slughorn gives him credit for Harry's excellent Potions skills.

Of a riddle sly

With the perfectly made Draught of Living Death, Harry won the Felix Felicis, which was the key to the "riddle" of Slughorn's memory and of Tom Riddle's Horcruxes.

Who or what am I?
The Draught of Living Death.

Self-explanatory.

I thought these lines might suggest a potion...

One is the "riddle" whose answer is in Slughorn's memory, the other one is Snape's question in Harry's first Potions class is Book 1.

Living Death - death and life in one concept.

Guessed: the Sphinx in the Maze, Dumbledore and the prophecy, Snape and the Unbreakable Vow, something to do with Lily, when DD says they can save more than one life with the time-turner, Snape's Dark Mark, Snape's discovery of what Draco's task is and realizing that he has vowed to complete it, the doe patronus or the stag patronus, Harry's scar, the Love Potion that Merope Gaunt gives to Tom Riddle, Sr., the Logic/Potion Puzzle from Book One, the attempts Draco makes to kill Dumbledore using the opal necklace and the elf-made wine, the Penseive memories that Harry & Dumbledore view to learn about Voldemort's early life, the poisoned cocoa that Tom Riddle gives to Hepzibah Smith when he steals the Hufflepuff Cup, the Felix Felicis that Harry uses to get Slughorn's Horcrux memory, the Time Turner that Harry and Hermione use the Half-Blood Prince's Potions Book that Harry uses in Slughorn's class, Slughorn, Slughorn's Potions Class, the bottle containing Slughorn's memory of the Horcrux incident, the wine that Harry feeds Slughorn to get the memory out of him, the bezoar.

Congratulations, Verity! The riddle baton goes to you!

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:20 pm

That was a very complex and interesting riddle - far above my poor ability to solve. Congratulations to Verity - an excellent detective job! Well done!
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks Julia, and thanks Choices. I can't really claim this was a result of good detective work though - more a lucky guess combined with a process of elimination. I think Lady A did all the hard work, getting us on the right track and narrowing down the possibilities.

Lady A, if you'd like to do the next riddle, I'll happily pass the baton to you.

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks Verity, but the riddle is all yours!

I never would have come up with Draught of Living Death - I still don't quite see how you got there - so you are the rightful creator of the next riddle.
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:50 am

Oh dear, there goes my cunning plan of having Lady A come up with the next riddle.

Since my plan didn't work, here goes:

People come and people go,
I see them all.
As I spy a stray pet, so
Be tall.
Some people think I'm foolish, some people think I'm mad
But I love art, with all my heart, and that just can't be bad
To owls and other animals I'm a welcoming friend
But I might get unravelled at the end.

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Well, this doesn't fit all the clues, but the first thing I thought of was the owlery tower.
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Is it Dobby?
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for the guesses, Choices and Shepherdess, but the Owlery Tower or Dobby is not the answer.

I've made a slight change to the third line of the riddle. After sleeping on it, it just didn't seem right.

I see them all,
Because I have a stray pet, so
Be tall.

Guessed: The Owlery Tower, Dobby

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:47 am

I like this riddle and I have already been thinking about it a lot, but I can't think of anything that would match at least the majority of the clues. Certain clues, however, make me think of a painting, so in order to get rid of a wrong guess, I'll guess Sir Cadogan.

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:35 am

That's a good guess Julia, but I'm afraid Sir Cadogan is not the correct answer.

I see them all,
Because I have a stray pet, so
Be tall.

Guessed: The Owlery Tower, Dobby, Sir Cadogan

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 am

Barnabas the Barmy?

Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 32 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top