Chat & Greetings 2003

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chat & Greetings 2003

Post  Lady Arabella on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:21 pm

I Am Used Vlad - Dec 20, 2003 7:24 pm (#1151 of 2753)

Thanks, everyone. I had a great birthday. Boop, enjoy your time off and be careful driving. I'm a former PSU student and know how the winters can be.

Matt Allair - Dec 20, 2003 10:06 pm (#1152 of 2753)

Happy Birthday Nimrod, Thanks Brandon for your reply. To answer your question Brandon, and I am probably giving away way too much information for the internet, I live in San Francisco, I was born and raised in Marin County. I'm very familiar with Sonoma County / Santa Rosa, I lived in Rohnert Park for a spell as a kid before moving back to Marin. Well, there it all is in a nutshell.

I'm glad Brandon that you weren't too much pushed out of shape over my opinion of the LOTR trilogy. In spite of it's flaws, I don't think we are going to see an adaptation as good as Peter Jackson's film in a long time.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 20, 2003 10:21 pm (#1153 of 2753)

No, I don't think we'll see as good of an adaptation as LotR either Matt. But I can still be peeved that Jackson took out a scene that I felt made the ending so much stronger. You're right, the movies were amazing but like most fans out there I will always find things to critique in the films. Alas, no movie is perfect; but I can always complain about the flaws even though I can't do anything about them. That's the fun part about going to the movies; you get to say what you don't like about them. And even though I thought that Jackson did a fantastic job in all the movies I will forever dislike him for cutting that out of the ending.

Madam Poppy - Dec 20, 2003 11:19 pm (#1154 of 2753)

Kitty, I think that the gel inserts helped a little. *sigh* I think part of the problem is that I'm just not used to being on my feet for so many hours/days in a row. The concrete floors at the store don't help either.

Matt Allair - Dec 20, 2003 11:21 pm (#1155 of 2753)

Well, point taken, all I can say is that it's a no win situation for most directors who adapt from books. I'm sure that some of us here will be wanting to throw things at the screen, depending on what Alfonso Cuaron does with PoA.

Yet the important thing to remember is that the filmakers were faithful to the spirit of LOTR: FOTR - TTT - ROTK. This is also true of the Harry Potter films.

The only way a more faithful adaptation of LOTR could be done would be to do a television mini series that would total twenty four hours! The problem is such an adaptation might bore the audience to tears. Certain things that translate well in a book, just don't often play well in a film.

As far as a Harry Potter television mini series goes, it would certainly be fun! Yet I still can't complain about the films much.

Okay, well, I better stop this because this discussion should probably go to the movie thread. I feel like Dobby beating himself up at the moment.

Sinister Kittens - Dec 21, 2003 2:14 pm (#1156 of 2753)

Mme. Poppy - the one thing that I have found that really helps is (believe it or not...) baby lotion! Relaxing your feet in a spa is GREAT but rubbing baby lotion into them is fantastic at the end of a long day! Hope this helps all the other store elves...

PS Sorry Nimrod, happy belated birthday!

Pinky - Dec 21, 2003 3:07 pm (#1157 of 2753)

Woo hoo! The best of both worlds! I went to see The Return of the King last night, and they played the POA trailer. Yes! Much more satisfying than seeing it in the 2 inch square on my computer screen.

Nox NotteTorrente - Dec 21, 2003 3:35 pm (#1158 of 2753)

Saw Peter Pan with my daughter on Saturday night, and we *loved* it. It was a much more faithful adaptation of the much-loved (in our house) book than some of the other 'Disney-fied to death' versions we've seen till now. Jeremey Sumpter is very good as Peter, and Jason Isaacs as Hook, well... ... I almost had to be scraped off the floor and carried out in a bucket... It was funny, moving and visually excellent.

Marye Lupin - Dec 21, 2003 4:43 pm (#1159 of 2753)

You saw Peter Pan already! grrr... it doesn't come out here till Christmas.

I just got back from seeing Return of the King. I loved it! I've never read the books though so I don't know what you mean about the Shire chapter. I saw the Harry Potter trailer and I can't wait to see it (it looks like the new director did a good job).

Caput Draconis - Dec 21, 2003 5:43 pm (#1160 of 2753)

Mwahahaha, one of the very few times we get films early, I guess because it was shot here. Still doesn't mean we get a star studded premiere, though. Grrr.

Um, I just came from my second go around with C.J.H, "" is apt, Nox. Oh, to be Wendy in some of those scenes... But there was also a bit of depth, he was nowhere near as inept as Hoffman's Hook, and they drew well upon the paralells of loneliness and whatnot.

Still haven't seen the PoA trailer on the big screen, gosh darn it.

Marie E. - Dec 21, 2003 11:18 pm (#1161 of 2753)

I've been gone for a few days, but thanks for thinking of me Fawkes. The artist who did my avatar, whose name escapes me, did a whole series of flower fairy pictures.

I was supposed to see Return of the King today, but we forgot we were invited to a Christmas party. And last night we went to a Hannukah party. I ate latkes till I burst! And totally lost at dreidels. My four year old beat the pants off all of us.

boop - Dec 22, 2003 3:46 am (#1162 of 2753)

Good Morning Everyone, Is everyone ready for the Holidays? One more day of work. Store Elves pat yourself on the back, what would the stores be like if we didn't have you!!!!! Working with the public is a very hard job without a holiday coming. I worked in fast food as a asst. manager for nine years. The customers on the most part were great, but then there was that one person you just can't make happy no matter what you do or say. I just would smile and tell them to have a nice day.

I guess the prayers are working  - my daughter is doing better. We are setting a record for not going to the hospital in two weeks. That is a record that we don't want to break!!!!

Fawkes Forever - Dec 22, 2003 5:11 am (#1163 of 2753)

Happy Belated Birthday Nimrod .... hope it was a good one.
And Boop, good news about your daughter... will keep you in my prayers

Sorry have been so so busy at work that I haven't been popping into the forum as often as I would like to... hmm, might get a chance over the holidays.... (well we have at computer at my family home.... but they might think I'm being antisocial ) I'm still at work for now, so I might fit a few posts in before Chrimbo

Oh before I forget everyone.

Jim the Potty - Dec 22, 2003 6:29 am (#1164 of 2753)
Edited by Dec 22, 2003 6:30 am

Happy Birthdays and Hannukahs and Christmases and EVERYTHING to everyone!!! Its the first day of the Christmas holidays!! I'm free until January!!

azi - Dec 22, 2003 6:55 am (#1165 of 2753)

Calm down! The adults might still be at work! I, on the other hand, am also free till January so yey! Unfortunately my college teachers have given me loads of work and I just did 2 days of bag packing in the supermarkets to raise funds for scouts. Oh well, I can rest now!

MMMmmmmmm chocolate! I have lots!

Ladybug220 - Dec 22, 2003 7:59 am (#1166 of 2753)

Alright, I am jealous of Pinky and the others that saw the POA trailer when they went to see ROTK. I saw the movie and loved it but they didn't play the POA trailer. I am happy to say that they only showed 10 minutes of trailers before the movie instead of the usual 30 minutes. Although, I did notice there were many more commercials. I don't watch TV for a reason (well, the main thing is that I don't have cable, but commercials are a big one) so I really don't want to see commercials when I am at the movie theater. Oh well, it did give me time for one last trip to the loo before the movie started.

And on a happy note, I only have one more day of store elf work before Christmas and I get to miss the first few days of Christmas returns before I have to get be back at the store. It really helps when you don't have any family living in the same state.

Detail Seeker - Dec 22, 2003 2:06 pm (#1167 of 2753)

As I am going to withdraw from the net for the remainder of this week due to solistice family reunion I wish all of you a nice and relaxing holiday time. Do not eat more, than you can manage by force ! D.S.

Madame Librarian - Dec 22, 2003 4:10 pm (#1168 of 2753)

That's what we forgot...Happy Winter Solstice!! (Thanks, Detail Seeker.)

Had some very harried and exhausted looking store elves today who ran into the computer-won't-scan-the-item problem. They looked like it was the last straw; one was near tears. But--they rallied and persevered, and probably did a little behind-the-counter-magic so I could buy the darn thing. I felt so bad for them. I must say, though, in this particular store (Chico's -- ladies' trendy boutique) all the customers who got stuck waiting because of this were pleasant and supportive. It was a real girl-thing experience. I left the store with that inimitable shopper's high, and, a feeling that, yes, we can all get along and be really nice to each other sometimes.

BTW--one hilarious gift my husband got me is the Librarian Action Figure. You push a button and she raises her finger to "shush" you. It's sooo funny.

Ciao. Barb

Pinky - Dec 22, 2003 5:19 pm (#1169 of 2753)

That's awesome, Barb! How did you get a present out of him so early? I've been working on my husband for weeks now, trying to get him to let me open my presents early.

Nox NotteTorrente - Dec 22, 2003 5:26 pm (#1170 of 2753)

And Summer Solstice to those of us down here...

While I'm here I'd like to wish all those in the armed services a very happy holiday season. Police officers, army, navy, airforce... we appreciate that you often put yourselves in harm's way to keep us all safe and we hope that you in return are safe.

So mote it be...

Matt Allair - Dec 22, 2003 6:05 pm (#1171 of 2753)

Well, it's my birthday today. Actually I had my birthday dinner party last night but today is the official day. Funny, I don't feel any older, usually I feel five to ten years younger than I am. Time keeps marching on.

Madame Librarian - Dec 22, 2003 6:09 pm (#1172 of 2753)

Pinky, not early, just in time. Hanukkah started last Friday night and our big family get together was Saturday night.

Since Hanukkah lasts eight days, you can pick how you distribute the presents. One biggie and little ones the rest of the nights; just a big one on the official party night (usually the Saturday or Sunday of Hanukkah); each family does it their own way.

The original tradition was just to give little gifts of Hanukkah "gelt" (money) to the kids. But, the Christmas tradition of gifting everybody has seeped in to what was originally a relatively minor holiday, so we all get caught up in the gift frenzy now. I admit, being a Olympic-class shopper, I do enjoy it, but I try not to get carried away. I try to buy family gifts--CDs, books, gourmet treats all can share. Not always successful at keeping a lid on it, though.

Ciao. Barb

Leprechaun Jack - Dec 22, 2003 7:02 pm (#1173 of 2753)

Madame Librarian

Isn't the blending of the two traditions Christmas & Chanukkah now called Christmakkah.

Jack

BTW- Happy Birthday Matt!!!! If Abby passes through maybe she'll send you some abbyfetti (sp?)

Jack

Madame Librarian - Dec 22, 2003 8:25 pm (#1174 of 2753)

Jack, only in jokes. Let's try to keep it that way. 'Nuf said.

Ciao. Barb

Hem Hem - Dec 22, 2003 8:56 pm (#1175 of 2753)

Happy Birthday, Matt!

As for the commercialization of Chanukkah/Hannukah, I find it kind of amusing. The holiday is certainly minor in terms of its religious roots (other than lighting candles and adding a tiny bit to prayers, the eight days proceed like normal old days-- one is permitted to work, drive, go on the computer, and plenty of other stuff that most other holidays prohibit), but yet, Hannukah gets TV specials and store decorations....it gets treated like another Xmas. Shame they fall out during the same time of year. I always feel like Chanukka is the most confused Jewish holiday of the year...and not just because I can never figure out how to spell it!

But that's all okay! Happy Holidays to everybody--whatever yours may be!

I Am Used Vlad - Dec 22, 2003 9:27 pm (#1176 of 2753)

Happy Birthday Matt.

And Barb, I've never minded having my birthday during the holiday season. I hope it doesn't bother Matt, either.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 22, 2003 11:40 pm (#1177 of 2753)

Jack, as if I wouldn't give Matt some Abbyfetti. ,';.,';.',;.',;.',.;',;.,';.',.;', There you go, Matt. Happy Birthday!

And Happy Chanukkah (I think it can be spelled that way )! ,'.;,'.;',;.',;.',;.',;.';,'.;',

And Happy Winter/Summer Solstice! ',;.',.;',;.',;.';,'.;',;.',.;',;.

And some Abbyfetti for Boop's daughter for doing better! ',.;',;.',.;,';.,';.',.;',;.',;.

Did I forget anything? Abbyfetti is in high demand this time of year.

And I want a librarian action figure! Do you know where he got that, Barb?

Fawkes Forever - Dec 23, 2003 1:49 am (#1178 of 2753)

Happy Birthday Matt.....

Today is my last day of work before my Christmas holidays.... woohooo! Except I'm now dying with a head cold.... oh well....

Hope all you guys in California are ok.... my thoughts are with ya's.

Blast - Dec 23, 2003 2:29 am (#1179 of 2753)

Happy Festivus everybody.

boop - Dec 23, 2003 3:10 am (#1180 of 2753)

Happy Birthday Matt!!!!

Fawkes Forever--Enjoy your time off work and get better.

Everyone please have a safe and wonderful Holiday with family and friends.

Last day of work until Jan. 5. I hope they don't expect to much work out of us today.

Thanks everyone for the prayers for my daughter they really help. I feel like I gained a new family here. The support everyone shows is so great. I know if I'm feeling sad I get on here, and someone will post something that will bring a smile to my face.

Gina R Snape - Dec 23, 2003 11:38 am (#1181 of 2753)

Yippee, we're back online!

Happy holidays, everyone.

Weeny Owl - Dec 23, 2003 2:55 pm (#1182 of 2753)

Happy holidays to everyone no matter what you're celebrating.

Susurro Notities - Dec 23, 2003 4:26 pm (#1183 of 2753)

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Wonderful Kwanzaa to all. May the season be peaceful and joyous.

Blast - Dec 23, 2003 8:14 pm (#1184 of 2753)

How's everyone in California doing?

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 24, 2003 12:00 am (#1185 of 2753)

Oh! *smacks forehead* I forgot. . .

Happy Festivus! ,'.;,'.;';,.';,';.',;.';,'.;,'.;,'.;,'.

and

Happy Kwanzaa! ','.;',.;,';.',;.',.;',.;,';.,';.',;.';,

And, Weeny Owl and Susurro, great smilies!

icthestrals  - Dec 24, 2003 6:27 am (#1186 of 2753)

Happy Holidays to one and all!!!

Madame Librarian - Dec 24, 2003 10:01 am (#1187 of 2753)

For all fans of Christmas carols, here's a couple of "new" ones that may tickle your fancy (copied from Mary Schmich's column in today's Chicago Trib, asking for readers to submit funky lyrics to old favorites).

To the tune of "Deck the Halls"--

Deck us all with Boston Charlie,

Walla Walla, Wash. and Kalamazoo!

Nora's freezin' on the trolley,

Swaller dollar cauliflower alley'garoo!

Don't we know archaic barrel,

Lullaby, lilla boy, Lousiville Lou?

Trolley Molly don't love Harold,

Boola boola Pensacoola hullaballoo!

(Guaranteed to delight most 7-12 year olds, try it.)

To the tune of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" (apologies in advance to old ladies, nuns and nurses)--

The restroom door said "Gentlemen" so I just walked inside.

I took two steps and realized I'd been taken for a ride.

I heard high voices, turned and saw the place was occupied

By two nuns, three old ladies and nurse.

What could be worse -

Than two nuns, three old ladies and a nurse?

And finally (thank heaven, you're saying), to the tune of "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town--

You'd better go shop,

You'd better go buy,

You'd better not stop,

I'm tellin' you why,

MasterCard is comin' to town.

Oi. Have a wonderful Holiday everyone!

Ciao. Barb

I Am Used Vlad - Dec 24, 2003 11:14 am (#1188 of 2753)

Good songs, Barb.

Happy Holidays, everyone.

wormsé - Dec 24, 2003 2:48 pm (#1189 of 2753)

Happy Holidays, Everyone!!!

Denise P. - Dec 24, 2003 3:12 pm (#1190 of 2753)

Happy Holidays all!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 24, 2003 3:13 pm (#1191 of 2753)

Since I won't be on tomorrow, Merry Christmas, or Happy Christmas to you British folks.

Joost! - Dec 24, 2003 3:15 pm (#1192 of 2753)

Happy Holidays, people!

Blast - Dec 24, 2003 6:19 pm (#1193 of 2753)

Happy Christmas everybody.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 24, 2003 11:11 pm (#1194 of 2753)

,';. ,';.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',;.',.;,'.;,'

kimiraikkonen - Dec 25, 2003 4:48 am (#1195 of 2753)

I wish everyone here a happy Christmas.

milti girl - Dec 25, 2003 10:19 am (#1196 of 2753)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year....*trying to be cheerful...I broke up with my boyfriend the day before Christmas* but I can't really feel happy because he took me for the biggest, most drunken ride of my life and I'm not sure whether he cares or not. By the way: Can I call him a boyfriend if we were together only 2 days? This story depresses me. I'll tell it later when Christmas is out of everyone's heads and then some sane, old, wise person can give me advice about guys. (Brandon, where are you!) Here in India it's the last 7 minutes of Christmas Day, so while it lasts, Happy Christmas and a Merry new year!!

boop - Dec 25, 2003 12:22 pm (#1197 of 2753)

milit girl-- At least it was not a long term relationship. I don't know if boyfriend would be correct since it was so short. Sorry it had to happen just before Christmas. Just remember there is someone out there for you. Your paths just have not crossed yet. Try and have a good evening. Maybe read a book, one of the Harry Potters. I know that is my escape from this world.

Emily - Dec 25, 2003 3:45 pm (#1198 of 2753)

Even though it is probably unnecessary to add to the already numerous Holiday Wishes... Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah (sp?), Happy Kwanza(sp? again, sorry), or whatever else you celebrate(Festivus?), have a wonderful rest of the year!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 25, 2003 8:49 pm (#1199 of 2753)

Hey Milti, I'm really sorry about your boyfriend. (I don't know of any other word for that type of relationship that could be used on this forum.) But as I said earlier on this thread I'm in California, United States; so the time that appears on my post is actually correct.

Milti, seeing as Christmas is almost over I feel that I should tell you about us guys ("us" being me and most guys out there.) If there is one thing about males that typically sets us apart from women it is that we don't get as emotional. People tend to say that men think with their... (no need to finish that thought.) Well if that's true then women think with their lymbic systems. Just in case you don't know: the Lymbic System is the part of the body that regulates and controls emotion. I tend to say that most men completely lack a lymbic system. This makes it hard to communicate with us and makes it hard for us to express how we feel. I think that I speak for most males out there when I say that we have no clue what women want half the time. This makes things even harder for us males; we know that you want something other than what you're saying but don't know what. As Ron put it someone should write a book about things that women say and what they really mean.

Anyways, we typically have a harder time committing to things than women do (like relationships.) I don't know what else to tell you about guys Milti, if you want any specific information just ask. I'm willing and I'm sure that there are plenty of guys on this forum that are also willing to help you out. We've got all levels of experience here, we go from pre-teens to a few people that are well over their fifties. Hehe, I'll get flames for this but I'm sure that some of the old fogies would be more than willing to give you some information about the depths of the male species. (Just kidding I respect older people because they have so much life experience and can share so much with us.)

Matt Allair - Dec 25, 2003 9:07 pm (#1200 of 2753)

Thanks to everyone for all the birthday wishes. It's always nice to post on here and feel so welcome.

Happy Holidays everyone.

I'd say that Brandon just said a mouthful that will probably raise some eyebrows indeed. Just hope thumper isn't around the corner.[/color]
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Gina R Snape - Dec 26, 2003 11:57 am (#1203 of 2753)

For those of you who do not know what Boxing Day is...well, it is the day people sort out the tower of boxes from Christmas presents, box up all the presents they did not like, and return them to the shops!

By the way, I went to see Lord of the Rings last night and got to see the PoA trailer. It was so exciting to see it up on the big screen! The Dementors were extraordinary, as compared to seeing them on my computer. Really...well...wicked!

Madame Librarian - Dec 26, 2003 12:36 pm (#1204 of 2753)

Gina, I always thought that Boxing Day was the day the "upstairs" folk gave presents (i.e., boxes) to the "downstairs" folk. On Christmas day itself the servants were too busy working to make the master's and mistress's holiday just perfect, so the day after became the day they received their gifts. My source for this information is...um, well...many Masterpiece Theatre dramas, including "Upstairs, Downstairs." I also read this absolutely delightful book call What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew that explains all those confusing British-isms that Americans sort of gloss over when reading English literature. It's written in a lively manner, it's dry and wry and extremely helpful.

Ciao. Barb

Gina R Snape - Dec 26, 2003 1:48 pm (#1205 of 2753)

Barb, my explanation of boxing day was a joke!

timrew - Dec 26, 2003 4:13 pm (#1206 of 2753)

I don't think many of us Brits know why Boxing Day is so called, guys. But I just looked up the definition in my dictionary and it says, "The day after Christmas, when Christmas Boxes were presented". From who, and to who, it doesn't say.

Anyway, I'd just like to say that I hope everyone had a happy Christmas, Hannukah, or any other festival that falls at this time of year.

And to anyone that it has meaning to, A Happy New Year for next week!

Madame Librarian - Dec 26, 2003 5:40 pm (#1207 of 2753)

Oh, gosh, Gina, I must have had too many potato pancakes. My neural pathways are too clogged with cooking oil to get the most obvious jokes. My apologies for a pedantic response.

tim, I'm shocked (shocked, I say) that British people don't know every single thing down to the most infinitesimal detail at the molecular level about the culture of Great Britain. (That's a joke, too, so don't get all het up about it.) It is my goal in life to understand as much as possible about UK culture, past and present, with the exception of arcane local political issues, past and present. What can I say, I am a Masterpiece Theatre junkie.

Ciao. Barb

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 26, 2003 8:27 pm (#1208 of 2753)

Oh, Milti. I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend. I'm sure all will turn out well in the end. Here's some Abbyfetti to cheer you up! ,'.;,'.;',.;,';.,';.',.;',.;',.;

I'm a recent convert to the glory that is Masterpiece Theater. In other words, my cable's been gone since June so I watch a lot of PBS. It is amazingly interesting stuff.

Carina - Dec 26, 2003 11:42 pm (#1209 of 2753)

Quoting Barb: "I always thought that Boxing Day was the day the "upstairs" folk gave presents (i.e., boxes) to the "downstairs" folk. On Christmas day itself the servants were too busy working to make the master's and mistress's holiday just perfect, so the day after became the day they received their gifts."

Sounds like a chance to give away all of the stuff you got, but didn't really want

Happy everything, everyone!

Sly Girl - Dec 27, 2003 12:52 am (#1210 of 2753)

Hey everyone, hope everyone had a good whatever-you-want-to-have it. I've come down with the flu, unfortunately and it rained on my vacation but all is not lost, while the company remains true....

I dunno. I'm hyped up on cough syrup and whiskey in my tea. I've gone loco.

Anyhoo. Just wanted to say, I'm back. So.. I'm back!

Marè - Dec 27, 2003 2:55 am (#1211 of 2753)

Wow, nice amount of posts!
first Matt ( a little late...ehem) happy birthday
And then I hope everybody had a nice Christmas and so on.

Maybe I should start and wish everybody a happy new year allready, than I'm not going to be late with that too!

Pinky - Dec 27, 2003 5:50 am (#1212 of 2753)

Hey, one of you guys want to post a recipe for those potato pancakes you keep drooling over? They sound good! Post them here, or down in the recipe thread, or just e-mail it to me at pinkylexiconfan@yahoo.com.

Madame Librarian - Dec 27, 2003 6:17 am (#1213 of 2753)

OK, Pinky and everyone interested in potato pancakes---->meet you at the recipe thread (though this is not a HP recipe, that's probably the best place to post it since I'm sure the house elves have a wonderful version of it in their repertoire, some Irish folk dine on this delicacy, too).

Ciao. Barb

boop - Dec 27, 2003 6:44 am (#1214 of 2753)

I hope everyone had a nice holiday with family and friends. Did anyone brave the store's yesterday for the sales? Hope the elfs didn't have to return to work yesterday. I think that would be just as bad as the day before Christmas. My daughter said that at work two customers were auguring over one item. Its pretty sad that people can't get along the day after Christmas. I guess the meaning of Christmas leaves the day after for some people. I know I didn't go any where near a store.

Sly Girl--Hope you feel better soon. That flu is nasty stuff. Its going around my family.

I ordered a book the title is The Wisdom of Harry Potter: What our favorite Hero Teaches us about Moral Choices. Has anyone read this book? I read The Hidden Key to Harry Potter. I thought it was interesting incite to the books.

Ladybug220 - Dec 27, 2003 8:15 am (#1215 of 2753)
Edited by Dec 27, 2003 8:16 am

Barb,

Thanks for the recipe! My Mom and I are going to try those out tonight. My Dad didn't want me to wait until I got home to try it out.

I hope that everyone's holidays are great whatever you celebrate!

Carina - Dec 27, 2003 11:43 am (#1216 of 2753)

Latke recipes? I'm there!

Madam Pince - Dec 27, 2003 4:12 pm (#1217 of 2753)

Belated Happy Holidays to all, and an early Happy New Year! Let's hope 2004 brings all good things....including the movie PoA and oh, let's throw in an early release to Book 6, shall we? No, no, just kidding. I know that won't be a 2004 item, will it?

My darling hubbie got me "The Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter" for Christmas (bless his little soul, he actually was listening when I not-so-casually mentioned it!) It only covers through Book 4, though, which I think Forum members have already discussed, and I think that I also read here on the Forum that there is a supplement out now that covers Book 5. However, I think someone mentioned that there is a "new" edition of "TUUGTTMOHP" coming out next year sometime, which I presume will just incorporate Book 5 into the same format as the original edition. Does anyone know if this edition is actually being planned, and if so, when it is due out? I'm trying to decide if it's worth waiting for, or if I should just go ahead and buy the supplement now. Thanks for any advice!

Oh, and we got a DVD player for our "big" gift for each other, so now I can finally see all those deleted scenes everyone keeps talking about! Woo-hoo! (This is assuming, of course, that we figure out how to hook it up....)

boop - Dec 27, 2003 4:32 pm (#1218 of 2753)

Madam Pince-- I have the New Clues to Harry Potter: Book 5. The book is Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter. If you want awesome hints and want to know where to look for the mega clues we have found-this IS the book for you.

If you want all the answers now-this is NOT the book for you.

It took them almost two years to research and write their analysis of Books 1-4. As Book 5 is approximately the length(in words)of J.K.R's first three books combined, it would have taken them at least a year to research and write an analysis of it.

They say that those who want answers right away would have to wait about a year for a proper analysis.

So I guess you have to decide if you want to hint or wait for the guide to come out. I will tell you the book is interesting. I can't figure the clues, but maybe you are good at it. I don't regret getting the book. I hope this helps.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 27, 2003 4:39 pm (#1219 of 2753)

Don't worry Madam P, nowadays most audio and video components are very easy to install. As long as it comes with all the correct cables and you have an up-to-date TV then you should be fine. Older TV's are a little tougher but you should still be okay. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

But good luck setting the time though.

Pinky - Dec 27, 2003 4:57 pm (#1220 of 2753)

Thanks for the recipe! I know it's slightly off topic - not really HP related at all, but it fit into the category (in the recipe thread)... and we get British recipes from our Forum members... ok... there's no way to really justify it other than that I can't wait to try them!

ElfWorks - Dec 27, 2003 5:30 pm (#1221 of 2753)

Hope everyone has had a lovely holiday, whatever you celebrate! I have a question for you all: anyone know of a site like the lexicon for LOTR? You know.... one that has a "dictionary" and character list or something...... My mother and I saw ROTK yesterday and I have a couple of puzzlements but I've lent my books to a friend who had never read them or seen movies one and two and ive forbidden her to see the movies til she reads!

Thanking everyone in advance and have a safe and happy new year!

xo lisa

timrew - Dec 27, 2003 5:52 pm (#1222 of 2753)

ElfWorks, my son has just seen ROTK, and, having read LOTR only once had several questions about which parts of the plot were book and which were film script.

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them, having read LOTR at least thirty times,

I have to add, I've not seen ROTK.

ElfWorks - Dec 27, 2003 6:40 pm (#1223 of 2753)

Thanks. tim! I have read the trilogy and the hobbit a gazillion times as well, but some things have been making me whacky! Give em a shot if you can!

1. the army of undead people..... what are they called?? dont they have some cool name?

2. ok. the ringwraiths are the black riders or are the ringwraiths the guys that ride the nazgul? or something else and i am just having a brain cramp?

2a. and the nazgul are those nasty bird things, right?

I know there are more questions, but now that I have someone to answer them for me, i cant think of what they are!!!!!

Thanks so much for any answers you can give my dead and dying old brain cels.

xo

lisa

wormsé - Dec 27, 2003 7:08 pm (#1224 of 2753)

Even though I'm not Tim, I think I can take a stab at 2a. I think the ringwraiths are the same; being both the black riders and the guys that ride the nazguls. (The Nazgul are the indeed the nasty bird things). I may be wrong, so I'd wait for verification from Tim. As for Number 1, I have been wondering the same thing.

Kowalla - Dec 27, 2003 7:13 pm (#1225 of 2753)

Hey! I actually know the answers to those! =D

1. ok, this one I don't know

2. the ringwraiths are both the black riders AND the riders on the nazgul, (remember, the horses died in the river trying to get Frodo to Rivendell)

3. Yes, you're right. The nazgul are those nasty-looking weird flying creatures.

Wow, I'm proud of myself, I beat Tim to it. Smile

wormsé - Dec 27, 2003 7:15 pm (#1226 of 2753)

Ah yes, Kowalla... but I beat you both! hehe... just kidding!

ElfWorks - Dec 27, 2003 7:31 pm (#1227 of 2753)

WOW! thanks yall!! now if we could all think of what the dead people are called and yes, I have had about fifty people that I asked this question to today say..."you see dead people?" so much fun. NOT!! And, hopefully, sometime before dawn, I will remember what the other couple of questions I had were.....

Still no site info, though...... Maybe we should start a LOTR Lexicon!!!!

Very Happy

xo

Pinky - Dec 27, 2003 8:05 pm (#1228 of 2753)

It's really quite easy... they're the Army of the Dead. Or the Dead Men of Dunharrow. Led by the King of the Dead. It's so obvious, it's too hard to remember. We went crazy over the fact that the movie never called the way to them by the proper name: The Paths of the Dead. It would have been so easy, and would have lent all the spookiness needed.

ElfWorks - Dec 27, 2003 8:07 pm (#1229 of 2753)

Well, duh! somebody slap me.......

xoxox

Marie E. - Dec 27, 2003 8:27 pm (#1230 of 2753)

Doesn't Aragorn incorrectly refer to the ringwraiths as the Nazgul in the first movie? I could have sworn I heard that when I watched the movie last night. And for those of you who have seen ROTK: Is it appropriate for an almost-seven-year old who has seen both of the other movies numerous times? She desperately wants to see it in the theater but I don't want to be considered an unfit mother for taking her.

ElfWorks - Dec 27, 2003 8:49 pm (#1231 of 2753)

I am not a mommy, but I dont think there was anything a child who had seen the other two would get freaked out about in this one..... the battle scenes are battle scenes and people die. But if your daughter has seen the other two, I don’t see how this one would be worse......

xo

Denise P. - Dec 27, 2003 9:03 pm (#1232 of 2753)

I think it really depends on the child. Mine have seen the first 2 movies but I think I would hesitate to take them to the big screen for the simple fact that the scope of it is incredible. It is one thing to see it on TV and another when it is so much larger than life. I think it could be scarier on the large screen. If you think she can handle it, then take her. I think my almost 7 year old would be fine as long as she was sitting next to me and I would guess she would hide her eyes. I would be more worried about 3 hours and 20 minutes sitting in the theater.

Matt Allair - Dec 27, 2003 10:43 pm (#1233 of 2753)

Okay, being that I am another long time LOTR fan of the books and now the films, let me take another stab at clarifying the ringwraith name issue.

The Ringwraiths are also called the Nazgul. The name Nazgul has nothing to do with the horses they ride in FOTR, or the flying beasts the Ringwraiths ride in TTT and ROTK. I can't remember what the flying beasts are called and I think the horses are just that, horses.

I hope that clears it up.

To add a point, I'm not basing this on the films but the actual books themselves.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 28, 2003 12:20 am (#1234 of 2753)

That's what I get for going out to dinner. Matt beat me by a good one and a half hours. He is one hundred percent correct: the ringwraiths are the nazgul and vice versa. I can't remember what the flying things are either but Marie E. is correct when she thought that Aragorn called the ringwraiths nazgul in the first movie. I think he says it in the context of "Nazgul... run!" Again pooie to Matt(has to be Lexicon appropriate) for beating me to the punch on this one.

If a seven year old doesn't freak out in the theater for most movies then this one should be fine. I agree that the big screen is completely different than a TV but this movie should be okay. From what I remember there isn't anything other than the army of the dead that would freak out a seven year old, and even that isn't that bad.

This isn't Harry Potter related but I found a really cool site with a ton of different quiz's. They have everything from official IQ tests (which are really fun) to a quiz titled what type of party animal are you, (I'm a lab!) The site is http://web.tickle.com it is awesome. I want to see how I compare to other people on the IQ test to see if it's accurate.

timrew - Dec 28, 2003 3:28 am (#1235 of 2753)

Hey, I've been asleep! It's night time in the UK, you know - well, not now!

The nine kings known as the Black Riders or the Nazgul, were men who were given rings of power by Sauron and fell under his spell, becoming Ring Wraiths. They are called the Nazgul when they are flying those giant, bat-like things.

Aragorn enlists the help of the 'ghosts' along 'The Paths Of The Dead', because they are under a curse to help Gondor in its hour of need. They promised to come to the aid of Gondor in the past and reneged on that promise. So they were condemned to live in The Paths Of The Dead as ghosts, never finding peace, until they fulfilled their oath and came to Gondor's aid when they were called to do so.

Hope this helps!

timrew - Dec 28, 2003 5:47 am (#1236 of 2753)

Sorry, mistake in that last post and too late to edit it!

The Nine Riders, or Ring Wraiths, are indeed known as The Nazgul at all times. It's just that they are referred to as 'The Nazgul' more when they are on the flying bat-like things, and 'Black Riders' when they are on their horses.

The horses, by the way, were stolen from the Rohirrim by orc raiding parties. King Theoden is incensed when he hears that there is a rumour that Rohan pays a yearly tribute in horses to Mordor. They don't.

wormsé - Dec 28, 2003 10:14 am (#1237 of 2753)

Elfworks: I'm not exactly sure what kind of site you are interested in finding, but I do occasionally venture to one for LotR. They have several different forums that cover just about everything. (Tolkien movies & books, other movies & books, games, & different communities, etc...) There is a bunch of stuff I haven't even looked at yet. If you'd like to have a look around, go to www.tolkienonline.com It's an interesting site, but like I said, I don't really know if it has what you are looking for...

ElfWorks - Dec 28, 2003 11:13 am (#1238 of 2753)

Alrighty, so we don’t ever know what the flying bird things are called. The ringwraiths, the black riders and the nazgul are one and the same. And the army of the dead is just that.

Next q: where in the books do we hear the story of how gollum came to be?

Lindsay: I did indeed check out that site yesterday while looking for answers. It wasn’t quite what i was looking for.... We really need a LOTR Lexicon! Very Happy

Thanks yall, so much!

xo

timrew - Dec 28, 2003 11:23 am (#1239 of 2753)

Gollum was a hobbit originally. This fact, Frodo found hard to believe, but it was true.

It is told to Frodo in the book by Gandalf in the chapter, "The Shadow Of The Past", in book one, "The Fellowship Of The Ring". It's the same chapter where Gandalf throws the ring into the fire to reveal the elven script; but in the film, the story of Gollum is done as a narrated flashback.

ElfWorks - Dec 28, 2003 11:29 am (#1240 of 2753)

Thanks, Tim. I knew that Gandalf told the story, but I couldn’t remember where in the books this happens. It has been almost three years since I read the books and I have only read them 3 or maybe 4 times. My brain is old and I think that it isn’t that we forget stuff, but as we get older, there are so many things getting crammed in there that we have trouble accessing the files! Very Happy

xo

Marie E. - Dec 28, 2003 11:50 am (#1241 of 2753)

Thanks, everyone, for your input about taking Shayla to see ROTK. I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm leaning toward taking her. I am worried about how seeing it on a big screen will affect her and how scary Shelob will be. Shelob won't be stoping to have a conversation with Frodo like Aragog did with Harry. I may just see it without her and then take her later if I approve. Thanks, again!

Marè - Dec 28, 2003 1:14 pm (#1242 of 2753)

Well I'm 23 years old and I practically ate my scarf during the movie. But that was more suspense than fear I guess. (And I did read the books, so I knew who was going to survive...)
But the two little kids in the row in front of me seemed not bothered at all.

(So does that tell you something about the movie, the kids or me )

timrew - Dec 28, 2003 1:50 pm (#1243 of 2753)

Apparently Peter Jackson is terrified of spiders, particularly the Funnel Web Spider. It's something to do with the way they move.

So this is the spider that Shelob was based on. It was CGI'd to scare the willies out of the director!

ElfWorks - Dec 28, 2003 2:02 pm (#1244 of 2753)

I have to admit that Shelob was the one scene I had my hands in front of my face for.... Spiders scare the bejeeesus out of me!

xo

Doris Crockford - Dec 28, 2003 3:47 pm (#1245 of 2753)

Question about LotR: Where was the ship going at the end? The one that Bilbo, Frodo, and Gandalf got onto with the elves?

I saw RotK today for the second time, and it was so cool. And I got to see the Harry Potter trailer both times!!! It looked so cool!!!!Smile

Brandon Christopher - Dec 28, 2003 4:59 pm (#1246 of 2753)

Actually Timrew, Smeagul/Gollum was not a hobbit. I believe in the book he was referred to as one of the "riverfolk." So he is hobbit-like, but not truly a hobbit. I need to double check my book to make sure but I'm 99.99% sure on this one.

Just getting my two knuts in.

Marye Lupin - Dec 28, 2003 5:10 pm (#1247 of 2753)

Brandon-- I have only read the first half of the first book almost two years ago but I also remember them being referred to as hobbit-like and not actually hobbits.

timrew - Dec 28, 2003 5:19 pm (#1248 of 2753)

Brandon.....a quote from "The Fellowship of the Ring", chapter, "The Shadow of the Past".....

'Long after, but still very long ago, there lived by the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland a clever-handed and quiet-footed little people. I guess they were of hobbit-kind; akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors, for they loved the river, and often swam in it, or made little boats of reeds.'

Okay, hobbit-kind......an ancestor of the hobbits. Just my 2 knuts.....

Madame Librarian - Dec 28, 2003 5:23 pm (#1249 of 2753)

Saw RotK last night. Wow! A little 'un--maybe 4 or 5--was two rows in front of us made not a peep during all 3+ hours. I don't think I'd bring anyone that young to this film. Maybe he just curled up and went to sleep.

The problem is that sure, some of the kiddies can sit through the film and even say they loved it, but later, in the middle of the night, they're clambering into bed with you terrified of their nigthmares. This could go on for more than one night. I speak from experience.

Ciao. Barb

Matt Allair - Dec 28, 2003 6:46 pm (#1250 of 2753)

Hey Brandon, sorry that I beat you to that Nazgul question, yet when opportunity knocks as they say....

Brandon, if you are comfortable with trading private E-mails, I'd like to discuss a little more in depth about LOTR, books vs. the films. Feel free to look up my E-mail address and forward me an E-mail over all things LOTR.
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:26 pm

Gina R Snape - Dec 28, 2003 7:23 pm (#1251 of 2753)

I really liked the way they did the visual transformation to Smeagul in the film. The minute I saw the hobbit guy I knew it was him. It certainly made me reflect upon treasuring my possessions too much!

So, I met up with my family yesterday and among my gifts were Harry Potter Uno cards (my father was overjoyed to find them) and a beautiful 2004 Harry Potter date book. Is my family cool or what?!

Denise P. - Dec 28, 2003 8:01 pm (#1252 of 2753)

So I am looking through the Sunday ads when I notice that an author I follow has a new book coming out. Woo hoo! Finally Book #11 is here!

I went online to find out more about it and...it is a stinking PREQUEL!! This author is not getting any younger...why is he taking time out for a prequel?? Finish the series FIRST, then go back.

AAAAUUUUGGGHHHH I can't take it!! If I didn't have better than 10 years invested in this series, I would chuck it but I have to find out what happens.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 28, 2003 8:03 pm (#1253 of 2753)

Just a note for Matt; I don't pretend to be a LotR expert, far from it. I've only read the books once. I just happen to remember more things than most readers do after my first time through a book. (Believe me that came in handy when cramming for finals!) I would love to trade e-mail with you about the LotR but I felt obligated to forwarn you that I am no expert and do not pretend to be. They were good books, fun books, but not as rereadable as the Harry Potter books in my opinion. Tolkien's writing style didn't really impress me that much, to much of the old english form of writing. That's never quite been my style.

P.S. Gina I soooooo want those Uno cards! That sounds really cool.

Gina R Snape - Dec 28, 2003 8:36 pm (#1254 of 2753)

Yeah, they are really cool. My beloved Severus is the #3 card (same pictures for each card in the 4 colours). I thought it was interesting that they used the Mirror of Erised for the Reverse card. I probably shouldn't read too much into it, though...

Pinky - Dec 28, 2003 8:36 pm (#1255 of 2753)

By the way, the big, black flying things the Nazgul/Ringwraiths ride are called "fell beasts."

The ship at the end of the movie was carrying them to the "Undying Lands" in the West. This is a special land that only elves can go to, but Frodo, Bilbo, (and later Sam) received a special dispensation to go to it since they were Ringbearers. It is not part of Middle Earth. It's a perfect land - sort of a heaven idea - although it's a very real part of the world as opposed to part of the afterlife. Many of the original elves came from there to settle Middle Earth.

Denise, I feel for you. I got into the Dragonriders of Pern series, and it irked me a little when she went back and did a lot of prequels and side stories. Keep progressing with the stories instead!

Mrs. Sirius - Dec 28, 2003 9:55 pm (#1256 of 2753)

Tolkien's writing style didn't really impress me that much, too much of the old English form of writing. That's never quite been my style. Brandon, I am so glad that you said that. Eons ago I read The Hobbit, it really did not move me. What I came away with from that reading was that JRRT had a great sense of language. But I felt that the book was really bleak. This year, waiting for OoTP to be published, I read the trilogy and again, "boy does Tokien love language(s)!" Somehow the characters, except for Faramir, Legelos and the lady who falls for Aragon, just don't move me. I feel awfully guilty that I don't like these books. Of the films, I've only seen the FOTR, which I felt was more effective than the books. Can anyone offer some insights about the emotional aspect of the characters? I feel I'm just not seeing it and I'd like to read them again with a new prospective.

Madam Poppy - Dec 28, 2003 11:05 pm (#1257 of 2753)

With the Christmas rush over, this store elf finally has had her hours cut back to part-time. My feet are very happy that I can stay home and catch up on reading my HP Forum. I think I need to go back to a desk job again.

I saw Peter Pan on the 25th and was a little disappointed. It had a PG-13 rating for the deaths and the graphic look at Captain Hook's arm stump. (Ewww) I didn't feel moved to see it again or buy the DVD.

I saw Return of the King with my son Peter the next day and thought it was the best of the 3 movies! The theater was packed. The audience really got into the movie. Cheering and clapping in places. I will admit I cried at the end...several different times in fact. I'd like to see it once more in the theater and will buy the DVD when it comes out. I was able to see the PofA movie trailer too. They had the theater lights up for the people still trying to find a seat, so it was hard to see.

Marè - Dec 29, 2003 7:45 am (#1258 of 2753)

I asked this on a less visited thread, but nobody seems to reply... So I hope some of the people who hang around here can help me.
Can some-one tell me were (if it is there) the part were Gollum receives an award is, on the extended two towers dvd's?
I can't seem to find it...

icthestrals  - Dec 29, 2003 8:06 am (#1259 of 2753)

Marè, hopefully I can remember how to get to it. On disk one of the movie, choose Scene Selection and keep scrolling through all the chapters until you reach the end. Click down passed the last chapter title and a gold ring should appear at the very bottom. Click enter on your remote and you should get Peter Jackson saying "congratulations" or something to that effect about finding this hidden goody. If you have problems, let me know. I borrowed the DVD from a friend and will have to re-borrow it to check my steps if need be.

Hope you find it!

Madam Poppy - Dec 29, 2003 9:15 am (#1260 of 2753)
Edited by Dec 29, 2003 9:15 am

From a DVD review site:
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers On New Line Home Entertainment’s Extended Edition release of 'The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers' the studio has once again hidden some additional material that is definitely worth checking out.

Insert the first DVD from the box set – the one containing the first half of the movie. From the Main Menu go to the 'Select A Scene' submenu where you proceed to go to the last page of these scene selections. Now highlight the 'Of Herbs And Stewed Rabbit' menu entry and press the 'Down' arrow key on your remote control. The One Ring will appear on the screen now and if you press 'Enter' you will see some footage of Peter Jackson congratulating you for finding this Easter Egg, followed by the clip from the MTV Movie Awards featuring Gollum’s hilarious acceptance speech for 'Best Virtual Performance.' This exciting feature has been submitted to us by Adam Bernström.

Ladybug220 - Dec 29, 2003 10:21 am (#1261 of 2753)

Madam Poppy - could you post that website please?

Thanks!!

ElfWorks - Dec 29, 2003 11:51 am (#1262 of 2753)

I have another movie question: Pirates of the Caribbean. Was Bootstrap Bill at the bottom of the ocean undead til the curse was lifted or did he never suffer the curse and if that's the case, why wasn’t he cursed??

xo

SJ Rand - Dec 29, 2003 12:04 pm (#1263 of 2753)

Here are a couple of emoticon ("smilies") sites:

http://www.kurts-smilies.de/ and http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/gallery.htm.

wormsé - Dec 29, 2003 1:13 pm (#1264 of 2753)

ElfWorks: That's something I've been pondering as well. I took it as, all the pirates were cursed because of Bootstrap Bill, so they threw him to the bottom of the ocean to die. (Just as you were saying...) But, it is stated in the movie that none of the pirates could die until the curse was lifted. So my thinking is, (I'm probably wrong), that he was at the bottom alive. BUT, I hear there is going to be a sequel to the movie... so maybe he found a way to get out... and he's still alive?

ElfWorks - Dec 29, 2003 1:50 pm (#1265 of 2753)

Lindsay, THERE IS A SEQUEL! They have started filming already and Orlando and Johnny and Ms. Knightly will all be back! I thought they threw Bill to the bottom of the ocean (via cannon) because he was opposed to what they did to Jack. I found a site with the script printed out and I couldnt find a suitable answer. Maybe it has been left unanswered so as to set us up for the sequel....

xo

Carina - Dec 29, 2003 2:57 pm (#1266 of 2753)

I was wondering the same thing and was discussing it with my sisters and brother in law. We came up with two scenarios:

1. Bootstrap was alive and therefore, able to escape and therefore, probably still alive.

or

2. By not spending the gold and giving it to Will instead, he freed himself from the curse. His intentions in giving it to Will were noble because he was upset about what they had done to Jack and he was trying to redeem himself. Since the curse was lifted, he drowned.

I tend to go with the first option though.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 29, 2003 4:24 pm (#1267 of 2753)

Yeah, the whole curse thing has been bugging me since I first saw the movie. We had a big discussion of the curse on the way home from seeing it the first time. I basically concluded the same thing as Carina's first option, but it still bugs me. It seems like a gigantic plothole to me.

But, yeah, it could be brought back in the sequel(s). I believe I had read that they're making two sequels to POTC and the four principle actors are coming back for at least the second one. I also read somewhere that the next one involves a bit of voodoo. And they're supposedly filming off the coast of Louisiana, which would so make my day! Field trip! Of course, this is all conjecture, so who knows?

Sly Girl - Dec 29, 2003 4:26 pm (#1268 of 2753)

Those are good ones Carina. That question has bothered me too, since the first time I saw the film. When I heard about the sequel I figured they would come up with some sort of explanation. I do think they really didn't think that part out, to be truthful. *smile* They probably didn't expect the movie to make a gazillon dollars it's first weekend.

My only regret is that Geoffrey Rush won't be in the sequel... I wish they could find a way to bring Barbossa back. He was great.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 29, 2003 4:27 pm (#1269 of 2753)

I think that's where the voodoo comes in. Zombie-pirate.

Sinister Kittens - Dec 29, 2003 4:28 pm (#1270 of 2753)

OK - aplogies for the absence. Work and Christmas have rather taken over lately. I have missed the, major holidays (and birthday - sorry!) so I will look forward to wishing you all a very happy New Year/Hogmanay.

I must admit that I have been wondering about bootstrap bill (and also hoping in my heart of hearts that I am not the only person here who keeps referring to this film as 'The Pirates of Penzance'). I don't mean to be dark here but I just could not work out how a skeleton/person who had been hung up by his bootstraps and killed by a cannon would be able to survive... Just my opinion... sorry...

*EDIT* oops, sorry Abby, we posted at the same time!

Sly Girl - Dec 29, 2003 4:33 pm (#1271 of 2753)

Seems to be a lot of that going around.. Sk... Smile

ooh..yes, dead voodoo pirarte. Arrrrgh. Cut off the chicken head, matey...

I just went on the ride again while I was in Disney, and I noticed the whole front part of the ride takes place in Louisiana. It'll be interesting to see where they go with that!

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 29, 2003 4:34 pm (#1272 of 2753)

Like I said, field trip for this Louisiana girl. And for someone who dislikes it here, I suddenly am quite glad I do live here.

But there is some nice pirate lore down here. Unfortunately, we didn't cover much of it in Louisiana history in eigth grade. We didn't cover voodoo either. Just brief mentions of Jean Lafitte and Marie Laveau. Mostly rather boring political stuff. Some teachers just don't get it.

ElfWorks - Dec 29, 2003 4:53 pm (#1273 of 2753)

I love New Orleans! If they go film down there, somebody call me! I'm there on the next plane!! I do indeed like your #1 idea, Carina. I hope he is still alive, it would make the voodoo-ressurection of Barbosa all the more interesting!

xo

Sinister Kittens - Dec 29, 2003 4:54 pm (#1274 of 2753)

Sly Girl... I have just been reading your post dated 26th December '03 regarding the use of the Yew tree in Graveyards and Churches, I was going to raise it on the thread but it did not seem appropriate. Anyway, I am totally prepared to be shot down here (after all this is a forum!) But I was always given the impression that Yew trees were planted in such places as they gave the appearance of Holly and could be used for outside decorations without poisoning the cattle, as apparently holly berries do. This has given rise to the tradition of the Yew tree being the symbol of death, although I completely agree that this is more than appropriate in Lord Voldemorts case!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 29, 2003 5:07 pm (#1275 of 2753)

Abby, I'm not sure if you're a football fan and if you are if you're even a Saints fan. But I just have to say: hahahahahahahaha... That was the funniest play I've ever seen, and then he missed the p.a.t! I was laughing for like fifteen minutes when he hooked that kick. That was totally awesome man!

Sorry I couldn't resist.

p.s. my team is in the playoffs

GO RAMS!!!

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 29, 2003 5:11 pm (#1276 of 2753)

I'm neither a football fan nor a Saints fan. However, I frequently mock the Saints, so hahahahahaha to whatever stupid thing they did this time.

Sinister Kittens - Dec 29, 2003 5:11 pm (#1277 of 2753)

Er Brandon - I am a HUGE Pompey fan... watch out or I will bring my old avatar back! (I would insert a smilie here, but I just bring myself to do it ;0)

Brandon Christopher - Dec 29, 2003 5:14 pm (#1278 of 2753)

Pompey? Did I miss something here? Wasn't that that city that was destroyed by all the lava because it was built under a volcano? I don't know what the heck you're talking about Sinister K.

Sinister Kittens - Dec 29, 2003 5:17 pm (#1279 of 2753)

Must have crossed wires, were you talking about UK football or US?

Brandon Christopher - Dec 29, 2003 5:18 pm (#1280 of 2753)

US football, the name of the kicker that botched the p.a.t. is Carney.

Kowalla - Dec 29, 2003 5:26 pm (#1281 of 2753)

Ok, this is going to be a little off topic, at least the way it recently headed, but as the Pirates of the Caribbean issue, I always thought that since Bootstrap gave away his piece of the treasure, that he was freed from the curse. That was my interpretation, at least. I didn't know that they were making a sequel. That's great! I can't wait to see it.

OH! On another note, I FINALLY GOT MY VERY OWN HARRY POTTER BOOKS FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!!!! Sorry, for yelling, but I'm rather excited! Now I don't have to wait for my sister or mom in order to reread them! Now, all I have to do is finish LOTR.

Sinister Kittens - Dec 29, 2003 5:28 pm (#1282 of 2753)

Kowala - your right to yell, that is a good thing! And Brandon, oops, sorry we did have our wires crossed there, sorry my bad!

Marè - Dec 29, 2003 5:29 pm (#1283 of 2753)

icthestrals and Madam Poppy, thank you!!! I will check the DVD as soon as I get home and get my hands on it. I knew people around here would be able to help me.

P.S. Does this mean I have to go look through the 4 Fellowships CD's too to find these sort of thingies. 'am going to busy these holidays!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 29, 2003 5:38 pm (#1284 of 2753)

It's all good Sinister K. You should see my dad and I sometimes, we'll be arguing about two completely separate topics and it will take us like five minutes to figure it out sometimes.

Then like clockwork we both look at each other and at the same time both say "oh..." it's classic!

regarding Timrew's post: eegads, are you saying that if I was an adolescent in Britain I would be forced every sunday to pick up a bow and arrow and practice shooting things? COOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

timrew - Dec 29, 2003 5:41 pm (#1285 of 2753)

To go back to yew trees. English long bows are made out of yew - always were and still are, as far as I know.

So this could be the reason they were traditionally planted in churches. Nothing more than a wood supply for long bows.

Also, it was compulsory hundreds of years ago (i.e., within my living memory) for the youth of Old Grammarie (the UK), to practise archery every Sunday. A law, I think, which has never been revoked.

I'm expecting to be arrested any minute!

Sly Girl - Dec 29, 2003 8:59 pm (#1286 of 2753)

I'm not sure what you meant SK, but I was researching trees and wood (and herbs to be specific) and Tim actually hit on what I was going to add- The idea of the Yew tree being associated with death may have come from the fact that The Romans saw how the Celts could defend themselves expertly with their bow and arrows and the Celts used Yew Wood- & since they were such expert marksmen, their arrow became a symbol of death, hence the wood (the YEW) was thought to have the same property.

I'm not sure about the holly/yew connection but I'll look into it. I do remember reading a bit about one tree being planted in place of another for the reason you mentioned, but I'm not sure if it was holly and yew or holly and another one. There is another type of tree that was supposedly helpful in the warding off of witches, which people would plant next to their house, to keep them from getting in.

If you check GOF, JKR actually describes the graveyard that Voldemort is in with Harry as having Yew trees as well. Sort of cool, that.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 29, 2003 11:19 pm (#1287 of 2753)

Hey guys, I just wanted to tell you that I wrote a poem that was semi-Harry Potter inspired and submitted it into the Poetry.com monthly contest. I submitted this poem probably a month ago and I just got a letter in the mail today saying that my poem made it into the semi finals! And even if I don't win the contest it is one of the select poems that is being published in the poetry collection "Eternal Portraits" which will be published next spring. I'm sure that there are probably thousands of other poems in the contest and I have no hope of winning but not all of them get published so I'm happy about that. Just wanted to tell you guys that, see Harry Potter inspired stuff can have literary value. At least I hope my poem has literary value.

Anyways I was wondering if anyone else has ever entered the Poetry.com contests; and if they have how well they did?

Oh and I added a second line to my profile, obviously. Can anyone remember where that quote is from? It's from one of my favorite movies.

ElfWorks - Dec 30, 2003 12:18 am (#1288 of 2753)

I believe that would be BRAVEHEART. But, I could be wrong...... Very Happy

xo

Brandon Christopher - Dec 30, 2003 12:22 am (#1289 of 2753)

Oh yeah!!! Way to go ElfWorks, that was actually fairly quick. I didn't think that anyone would get it until tomorrow at least. (Tomorrow for me that is.)

ElfWorks - Dec 30, 2003 1:11 am (#1290 of 2753)

Thanks, Brandon!

Where are you that tomorrow is different?

xo

Brandon Christopher - Dec 30, 2003 1:29 am (#1291 of 2753)

Well I was just saying it for anyone that was a day ahead of me. And actually when I posted it I thought that it was before midnight so I thought that it would be for tomorrow. I didn't realize that when I posted it it was around 12:20 already. Saying tomorrow in the past tense is confusing so I will explain using actual dates to clarify. When I posted I thought that it was still Dec. 29 when in fact it was past midnight making it Dec. 30. When I said tomorrow I meant later in the day on Dec. 30 because I didn't realize that it was already Dec. 30. Is that a decent explanation or did I just confuse you even more?

By the way I am in California so the date and time on my post is accurate for me.

Sinister Kittens - Dec 30, 2003 2:13 am (#1292 of 2753)

Hey Brandon congratulations, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you. Sly Girl, I just remember one of the local vicars vaguely mentioning it when I was younger (alot younger I might add here!) and thought I would throw it out to the forum to see if anyone else knew.

Oh and Tim, I received one of the funniest little books for Christmas 'The World's Stupidest Laws' and although there is no specific mention of wood type I thought you might be interested to know that "All Englishmen over 14 years old are meant to carry out two hours of longbow practise a week under the supervision of the local clergy". So I would watch out if I were you! ;-)

timrew - Dec 30, 2003 5:06 am (#1293 of 2753)

I can't reply in depth now, Sinister Kittens. I'm, er, just off to longbow practise.

icthestrals  - Dec 30, 2003 5:29 am (#1294 of 2753)

Mare, you are quite welcome! Let us know if you do find the hidden scene and what you think of it.

I don't know if anything is hidden on The Fellowship of the Ring DVD. I borrowed the extended version of that also. I'll have to ask my friend.

Gina R Snape - Dec 30, 2003 6:54 am (#1295 of 2753)

Brandon, congratulations on your poem! Any chance you will post it here for us to read?

Madame Librarian - Dec 30, 2003 7:15 am (#1296 of 2753)

Brandon, way to go! Yes, we'd love to see the poem when you deem it time to share with us.

I fear that for some mysterious reason, I cannot see the new 2nd line in your profile (that's usually the boldface line right below your name, yes?). Can you explain what's going on here? Thanks.

Ciao. Barb

boop - Dec 30, 2003 8:05 am (#1297 of 2753)

Brandon, Congratulations! Well done. Maybe your poem is one of the top 10! Can't wait to read it. I love poems.

Brandon, I'm glad someone's team made into the play-offs. I'm a steelers fan, and don't know what happened this year. They played terrible. I guess that goes along with my college team too. They had a terrible season too. I think the problems off the field played apart on what happened on the field. I think Joepa needed to use a wand on some of the players!!!Who knows maybe a spell or two might have helped!!!.

Up Date on my daughter, she has a ultrasound scheduled for Jan.15. My daughter is measuring at 34 weeks, but is only at 29 weeks. I guess they want to see how big the baby is. The best part is they have decided to find out if it is a boy or a girl. I'm praying for a boy! With all the issues it has to be a boy!!!!!

fidelio - Dec 30, 2003 8:33 am (#1298 of 2753)

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you all, boop, and please keep us posted.

The Titans have made it into the playoffs, but have to play Baltimore--and have lost the last five games they've played against them. Plus, our quarterback is hurt [OK, he's always hurt], the back-up is out with a lacerated spleen, and until Sunday, the replacement hadn't played since August, when he was cut from the team. So a playoff berth is not a guarantee of anything except more anxiety!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 30, 2003 10:58 am (#1299 of 2753)

Hey guys, normally I don't share my poetry with anyone but I figure the fact that it's already entered in a contest and on the www then it's public already. Here's the link, if it doesn't work then I'll paste the poem directly onto the thread. http://poetry.com/Publications/display.asp?ID=P5826039&BN=999&PN=1

Yes I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you Boop.

Sorry about the steelers though; before the season started I predicted them going into the superbowl. That was before I heard that they got rid of Kordell though. Fidelio, McNair is always hurt but he always plays well, the only quarterback that I can think of that plays better injured is Culpepper. Of course when your 6'4" and can run as fast as most running backs then it takes more effort to bring you down. My mom is a die hard vikings fan we can't believe that their not going in; I am actually writing a letter to the NFL about the last play of their last game. If you've seen it then you know what I'm talking about but it's going to be a raiders play all over again. Their going to change the rule on push outs because of that one play.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 30, 2003 11:01 am (#1300 of 2753)

Okay obviously the link didn't work so here is my poem:

I can't get it to appear exactly how I'd like but this is the best I can do.

Desire

Lost in green pools for eternity
They steal my soul, and entrap my mind
I lose myself at every glance
Still, I cannot fathom the emotion
That vibrates from your very core
Continuing to lose myself slowly
In your emerald pools of fire
Falling to infinity, fueled with all of my desire
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:28 pm

boop - Dec 30, 2003 11:02 am (#1301 of 2753)

Fidelio, It doesn't sound like the Titans are going to have an easy time in the play-offs. Sounds like alot of injuries. Maybe the back up quarterback will surprise everyone and perform great.

Brandon, Thank you for sharing that poem, it is wonderful!!!!!

Sly Girl - Dec 30, 2003 11:13 am (#1302 of 2753)

Brandon, in order to get your poem to show up with broken lines, you need to leave a space after each line...

WX will break things up if there is a break in the writing. It can't just be a single return though, you have to hit it twice.

I'll go back and fix it for you.

Devika - Dec 30, 2003 11:13 am (#1303 of 2753)

Brandon, that was a beautiful poem and congratulations. Hi everyone! I haven't visited this thread before, but I thought this would be the perfect place for this. Are there any members of the forum out here from India?? I know there should be becuase India is a Potter crazy country!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 30, 2003 11:22 am (#1304 of 2753)

Actauly Sly what I'm trying to do is get the lines to appear immediately after each other with no extra lines in between.

edit: thanks Gina

I'll be back later guys my mom is tearing apart my room!

Gina R Snape - Dec 30, 2003 11:24 am (#1305 of 2753)

Brandon, if you type < br > (without the spaces) you will get a break after each line without the extra spaces between the lines. Your poem was beautiful. I, myself, get lost in the pitch black eyes, not the green ones. But your poem is quite stirring.

Devika, I am certain there are others here from India. Perhaps they have not been terribly active lately. But I know you are not alone.

I Am Used Vlad - Dec 30, 2003 12:54 pm (#1306 of 2753)

I like your poem, Brandon. The link works if you enter your name and hit search. Five poems are listed, but the others must be written by people who share your name.

Go Packers!

azi - Dec 30, 2003 1:02 pm (#1307 of 2753)

On the yew tree thing, I've always been taught that yew trees are poisonous. And I spent a large amount of my childhood climbing the yew tree in the churchyard next to my house. Yew trees are supposed to keep evil spirits away.

Edit - in fact yew tree leaves are so poisonous that sometimes if you touch them and then lick your fingers without washing them it can stop your heart instantly.

Weeny Owl - Dec 30, 2003 1:14 pm (#1308 of 2753)

That was quite a poem, Brandon. Thank you for posting it.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 30, 2003 1:39 pm (#1309 of 2753)

Great poem, Brandon. However, I'm somewhat sad because I knew where your quote was from (one of my favourite movies and one of my favourite quotes therein ), but I'm far too late to show off my movie quote knowledge. Oh, well, I suppose I'll live.

I'm sure all is going to go well, Boop. I just know it.

ElfWorks - Dec 30, 2003 1:49 pm (#1310 of 2753)

Lovely poem, brandon. I will cross my fingers for you!

xo

ps. sorry great abby.

Very Happy

Madame Librarian - Dec 30, 2003 2:43 pm (#1311 of 2753)

Nice work, Brandon! Good luck.

I suppose it's not PC* to say that I care a whole bunch more about poetry/literary competitions than football (OK, everyone, you can go blaaah at me now).

Ciao. Barb

*politically correct

Madam Poppy - Dec 30, 2003 4:58 pm (#1312 of 2753)
Edited by Dec 30, 2003 5:01 pm

For all you "easter egg" fans, here is the web site where you can find out how to access the little hidden features in your DVD's.

http://www.dvdreview.com/html/hidden_features.shtml

For example: Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone

One of the most exciting features of the release has been locked away on Warner Home Video’s version of 'Harry Potter And The Sorcerer’s Stone' – the deleted scenes. We tell you how to get to these treasures and how to make your way through the lengthy games that hide these scenes.

First, insert the second disc containing the extra features. Highlight the feature titled 'Diagon Alley' and hit enter. You have to hit the correct bricks in order for the door to open. Hit 'left,' 'up,' 'up,' then the 'Enter' key. Then 'up,' and 'Enter.' Then 'up,' and 'Enter' again. Next hit 'right,' 'down,' 'down,' and 'Enter.' Then 'down' and 'Enter' again. Don't worry if you mess up, you'll be allowed to enter anyway. The first step is to access your bank account. Highlight the sign titled 'Gringotts' and hit the 'Down' arrow key on your remote control to highlight the key on the sign. Then hit 'Enter.' Then in the bank, hit 'right' and 'Enter' to open your vault. Exit the bank and highlight the sign titled 'Ollivanders' and hit 'Enter.' In here, it doesn't matter which boxes you choose, the third or fourth try, you will get your wand.

Now that you have your wand you can go to class. Return to the Main Menu, and select the 'Classrooms' entry. Then, choose potions from the next menu. Hit 'right' to highlight the mortar and pestle and hit 'Enter.' You will now be required to choose the correct ingredients for three potions. The first potion is the Sleeping Potion. The correct ingredients are Asphodel and Wormwood, hit 'right' twice and 'Enter,' then 'right' once more and 'Enter.' The next question is for the alternative name for Aconite. The answers are Monkshood and Wolfsbane, hit 'right' and 'Enter,' then 'right' twice more then 'Enter' to select them. The final potion you have to create is the cure for a boil. The correct ingredients are Snake Fangs and Porcupine Quills. Hit 'right' and 'Enter,' then 'right' three times and 'Enter.'

You will then be transported to a room with lots of flying keys where you must select the correct key. Hit 'right,' 'up,' 'up,' 'right,' and 'Enter' to select the small key with the broken wing. Next, you will have to choose the right potion between seven of them. Hit 'right' twice, then 'Enter' to select the yellow spherical bottle. You will then finally be transported to the Mirror of Erised, where you can select the sorcerer's stone, and be transported to the bonus scenes.

This is only one of many ways to get access to these deleted scenes and the disc itself is stuffed with extras and hidden bonuses throughout. Simply try to use your remote control and go on a little excursion yourself and you, too, shall see the many features hiding behind pixie dust, papers, boxes and vials.

There’s another hidden feature on the first disc of the set. Insert it and from the Main Menu press the 'right' arrow key on your remote control to highlight the Owl. Press 'Enter' now and you will receive your very own invitation to Hogwarts.

This Easter Egg has been submitted to us by Jim "Kuato".

timrew - Dec 30, 2003 5:38 pm (#1313 of 2753)

Brandon, terrific poem. Congratulations!

I was over in Sheffield recently, visiting my son and his partner who live there; and on the way back I noticed a sign which said, "Thank you for driving carefully through Hope." (Hope is a village in the Peak District).

I wrote a poem myself about this, because I noticed the sign was exactly ten syllables - blank verse. It was published in a magazine I subscribe to called "Reach". No payment, unfortunately! But there are precious few poets who make a living at it!

Madam Poppy - Dec 30, 2003 5:45 pm (#1314 of 2753)
Edited by Dec 30, 2003 5:56 pm

Regarding Boot Strap Bill

On the 1st Pirates of the Caribbean DVD, during the third interview with the script writers they discuss Bill during the closing credits. One of the writers gives you a time-line of the preceding 10 years.

He said that Boot Strap was tied to a canon and lowered into the "crushing depths of Davey Jones Locker". This leads the viewers to believe that "he is still alive and "a very thin puddle on the bottom of the ocean." He sent the coin to Will in England so that the pirates would remain cursed.

A personal comment here. If they tied up Boot Strap during the day, he should have been able to slip out of the loose bonds at night when he turned into a skeleton. If they threw him overboard at night, you'd think that he'd still be able to get loose and walk to the nearest shore.

SECOND MOVIE SPOILER FOLLOWS!

He also discussed the Black Pearl itself having some magical power, and then sort of coughed the word "sequel".

Here's another easter egg site: http://eeggs.com/

Ladybug220 - Dec 30, 2003 6:27 pm (#1315 of 2753)

Thank you Madam Poppy!

I just received my extended edition of Two Towers today. Now I can look at those hidden eggs on Fellowship and TT.

Susurro Notities - Dec 30, 2003 7:46 pm (#1316 of 2753)
Edited by Dec 30, 2003 7:47 pm

Wonderful poem Brandon. I hope it does well in the competition.
timrew. When will you be posting your poem?

Brandon Christopher - Dec 30, 2003 7:54 pm (#1317 of 2753)

Wow, thanks for all the encouragement guys. Timrew, I wish I got a payment for mine being published too. Alas, you are right; very few poets make a living from publishing single poems. I plan on writing a book, getting enough money to just work part time, and continue writing until I'm to old and senile to string two words together.

Yeah Timrew, Susurro is right; when will you be posting your poem?

Madame L. I may be an avid sports fan but I see nothing wrong with being a bigger fan of literature. When I was a little kid I preferred to read over watching television and sports. Sometimes you couldn't drag me off the baseball diamond but I did prefer reading and writing over simply watching sports.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 30, 2003 10:10 pm (#1318 of 2753)

That's all right, ElfWorks. I was only joking around. Like they say, you snooze, you lose. And that's what I was doing when Brandon posted that. You can call me, Abby, by the way.

Thanks for that Pirates tidbit, Poppy. I'll have to go listen to that myself now. I'm glad they acknowledged that.

Tim, I simply must see your poem now. I'm exceedingly curious.

boop - Dec 31, 2003 6:35 am (#1319 of 2753)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

To Anyone who will be out celebrating the New Year tonight, Please be safe and have loads of fun!!!

Just as a reminder, we only have 156 days to wait until POA movie is out!!

Weeny Owl - Dec 31, 2003 9:16 am (#1320 of 2753)

I wish everyone on the HP Lexicon Forum a prosperous, peaceful, and joyous 2004.

Gina R Snape - Dec 31, 2003 10:09 am (#1321 of 2753)

Wow, Weeny. What a terrific gif!

Happy New Year to everyone. Depending on what time I get in tonight, I might stop by St. Mungo's. I heard there will be a party there with fireworks, jello, calamari, Snape beverages and butterbeer.

Denise P. - Dec 31, 2003 10:12 am (#1322 of 2753)

Hope that everyone here on the Lexicon Forum has a great 2004!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 10:30 am (#1323 of 2753)

PAAAAARTAY people!!! Woo hoo!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

fidelio - Dec 31, 2003 10:55 am (#1324 of 2753)

Here in the southern US, it's a tradition to eat a dish called Hoppin' John [black-eyed peas and rice] and greens one New Year's Day--the Hoppin' John is for luck and the greens are for money. This is supposed to ensure that you're both luck and rich that year--I'll now steal a leaf from Abby, but instead of abbyfetti, here's black-eyed peas :::::::::::::::: and rice """"""""""""" for everyone, along with some greens $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Happy New Year!

Here is a recipe for Hoppin' John:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_9900,00.html

If you're a vegetarian, or simply don't eat pork, the ham hock is traditional but optional seasoning, and you can use water instead of chicken stock to cook the peas--Emeril is just being luxurious!

Any kind of greens will do--as long as they are green and leafy. Even a lettuce salad will do in a pinch. It's the symbolism that matters!

SJ Rand - Dec 31, 2003 11:00 am (#1325 of 2753)

I lived in the mid-west for a few years, and they just do the black eyed peas for luck, not Hoppin' John. Maybe that's why it's never worked for me... or for the mid-west come to think of it.

Madam Pince - Dec 31, 2003 12:58 pm (#1326 of 2753)

Happy New Year to all Forum Folk! You've all made 2003 a super-nice year, and I look forward to 2004 as being even better!

Oh, and Brandon? I totally agree with you about the Vikings -- what a rip! My better half is a huge Vikings fan and he was soooooooo disappointed...... I follow them now also, since I used to be a 'Skins fan until our current owner took over. ahem. 'nuff said about HIM! Oh well....perhaps the New Year will bring us better luck with our teams as well....

Happy 2004!

ElfWorks - Dec 31, 2003 1:04 pm (#1327 of 2753)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!!!

XO

Lisa

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 2:48 pm (#1328 of 2753)

Just to show my appreciation of the Lexicon in the rapidly approaching new year.

I Am Used Vlad - Dec 31, 2003 3:09 pm (#1329 of 2753)

Brandon, did you make those at the German site from the Potty HQ?

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 3:25 pm (#1330 of 2753)

Yeah, that site is really cool, I'm glad I stumbled across it.

Blast - Dec 31, 2003 3:27 pm (#1331 of 2753)

Remember take it easy tonight, but if you must indulge, use Snape beverages. This spot paid for by Snape Beverages Inc. Hogsmead. Happy New Year Everybody.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 3:35 pm (#1332 of 2753)

Hey Blast you're ruining it for me. I had just forgotten that I couldn't drink tonight and then you had to go and bring up again. I think I'll go wallow in self pity now. Poor Brandon, can't go party hard yet! Boo hoo!

azi - Dec 31, 2003 3:43 pm (#1333 of 2753)

Why can't you drink Brandon? I would drink but I can't be bothered. It's midnight in about 20 mins where I am and I wish I'd gone to a party now. Oh well, maybe next year I'll decide to be more sociable!

Happy new year everybody!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 3:48 pm (#1334 of 2753)

Well the fact that I'm 18 and the legal drinking age is 21 sort of puts a damper on those thoughts. And I've never broken so much as a speeding law so I'll be danged if I drink tonight, even though most of my friends will be. *Sigh* I will be the designated driver yet again...

Gina R Snape - Dec 31, 2003 3:48 pm (#1335 of 2753)

Thanks for the free advert, Blast!

Brandon, being the designated driver is a true Gryffindor act. So don't feel sorry.

I, on the other hand, am apparently the only real Slytherin here and will not be driving anyone anywhere except perhaps a certain someone mad with jealousy--who does not dance--on the dance floor.

I Am Used Vlad - Dec 31, 2003 3:48 pm (#1336 of 2753)

I'll have to learn how to make those smilies.

Well, I'm off to a New Year's Eve party. Everyone be safe, and have a great 2004. See you next year.

azi - Dec 31, 2003 3:52 pm (#1337 of 2753)

Well, the legal age for drinking in the UK is 18 and as me and my friends are 16 we break the law endlessly. Being a designated driver isn't that bad. It's funny what people say when they're drunk. I have a friend whose use of English improves when he's drunk a lot. He walked into a Christmas tree the other day which was rather funny and I'm still laughing about it now!

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 3:58 pm (#1338 of 2753)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? I'm moving to England as soon as I can! *insert slobbering on keyboard here*

azi - Dec 31, 2003 4:03 pm (#1339 of 2753)

Hehe, it just turned 2004 in the UK! And like usual nothing changed. Yeah the UKs alcohol laws aren't that bad but in Germany they're better. You can legally drink beer at 16 and everything else at 18. I'd move to there if I were you!

Madame Librarian - Dec 31, 2003 4:04 pm (#1340 of 2753)

I want everybody to have a wonderful New Year! Be happy, be healthy, be safe, be at peace.

It's wild to think that for some Forum Folk it's already 2004. Whoa, talk about time travel and such.

Ciao. Barb

Blast - Dec 31, 2003 4:36 pm (#1341 of 2753)

Drinking age is nineteen up here. It must be under twenty one in Mexico, probably a lot closer Brandon. I am staying sober tonight. No reason I just don't drink alcohol. I've been married Twenty Four years, and I still have a bottle of Tequilla that I've had long before that. It's still half full. Be carefull out there everybody, please don't drink and drive or let anybody else do either. By the way to those of you past midnight Happy New Year.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 4:47 pm (#1342 of 2753)

Blast, you should see my parents’ stash. Neither is a regular drinker but they still have to have well over a few thousand dollars worth of wine. And a fair amount of tequila and other types of alcohol also. They call themselves "social drinkers." As my dad always jokes; "marrying your mom drove me to drink!" And Blast, Mexico may be a lot closer but no offense to anyone but I would rather live in Britain.

I don't know why my computer is lagging so much that I typed all of that before it actually appeared on my screen.

P.S. for anyone that wants to see poetry, there is a new thread in the fanfiction forum dedicated to poetry and songs.

Sly Girl - Dec 31, 2003 4:55 pm (#1343 of 2753)

Brandon, I realize you were not the only one straying off topic in the VOTE thread, my apologies for singling you out. I hope there are no hard feelings.

That said, I don't have it in me to be mean, despite my Slyhterin tendencies, and so I am taking a leave of the forum, me thinks. I'm not sure anyone one notice anyway. I get frustrated in that I feel as though I am speaking but no one is listening.

Everyone have a smooth New Year’s (this time of year always sucks for me, so maybe I'm having issues. Time for Kahlua and Ogden's I think).

A warm thought for the new years- "And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make." -The Beatles.

Gina R Snape - Dec 31, 2003 5:01 pm (#1344 of 2753)

Aw, Sly Girl. I think you're just upset because you didn't get sorted into Slytherin. Those glasses might have something to do with it...

Maybe you're just not cut out to be a Moderator? I moderate a few yahoo groups, but I don't mind being mean once in a while.

Anyway, I hope you have a Happy New Year.

Brandon Christopher - Dec 31, 2003 5:03 pm (#1345 of 2753)

Hey it's all good Sly. I was off topic more than anyone else and had I been in your shoes I would have done the same thing.

boop - Dec 31, 2003 5:05 pm (#1346 of 2753)

I'm staying home taking care of my granddaughters while their parents enjoy the evening out. They are in their pjs and we are going to have our own little pj party. The only channel on the tv that works with them is the cartoon station. They are 5 and 3. Alyssa the 3yr old lives with me so I have been able to watch her grow. Taysha comes and stays almost every weekend. Put the two together and double trouble some times. What one does not think of the other does. They are so much fun. The things they say and do make you laugh. Taysha lived with me to until last April when they moved out. The girls act like sisters instead of cousins. I hope it stays that way as they grow up.

Doris Crockford - Dec 31, 2003 6:16 pm (#1347 of 2753)

Happy New Year's, everyone! I'm still 3 hours away from 2004 (I'm in the same time zone as Times Square, it's great to watch the ball drop each year, and my family's going to go skating later!). See you next year- hope it's a good one! Smile

Susurro Notities - Dec 31, 2003 6:39 pm (#1348 of 2753)

Happy New Year.

Blast - Dec 31, 2003 6:48 pm (#1349 of 2753)

Is that a Weasley product, Susurro?

Susurro Notities - Dec 31, 2003 6:58 pm (#1350 of 2753)

Absolutely!

Blast - Dec 31, 2003 9:08 pm (#1351 of 2753)

Happy New Year Eastern Time Zone.

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 31, 2003 9:08 pm (#1352 of 2753)

Sly, don't go anywhere. We'll miss you.

I'm glad I have no interest in drinking. Luckily, that's a good thing because I'm not 21 and there are religious reasons. I just see no point in it. Besides, I'm kinda bad about caffeine. Stupid Dr. Pepper (Yay! to caffeine free kind. Boo! to restaurants that don't have caffeine free Dr. Pepper.)

Anywho, I still have a little less than an hour until 2004. I keep coming in and out looking at fireworks. I don't feel like putting on shoes so my feet get cold, and I come in to warm them up and check the forum. Then I go back out. The really good stuff should be coming up soon.

So, until then, here's some Abbyfetti to the end of 2003. ',.;,'.;',.;,'.;',.;,'.;',.'.

Mrs. Sirius - Dec 31, 2003 10:06 pm (#1353 of 2753)

Happy and Peaceful New Year. Paz y Felix Año Nuevo",*!",*!",*!, (my attempt at Abby's-fettie). We have POA to look forward to this year!!

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 31, 2003 10:14 pm (#1354 of 2753)

Here's some more Abbyfetti to welcome in 2004 in the Central time zone. Just 12 minutes late by my clock.

',.;,';.',;.',;.',;.',.;',.;',.;

Look! Fireworks! #*#*#*#*#*#*

ElfWorks - Dec 31, 2003 10:28 pm (#1355 of 2753)

CENTRAL TIME ZONE THANKS YOU FOR THE ABBYFETTI AND SAYS WOOOHOOOO!!!!

xo

The Great Abbycadabra - Dec 31, 2003 11:04 pm (#1356 of 2753)

Abbyfetti for the Mountain Time Zone! ,'.;,'.;,'.;',;.,';',;.',;.',.;

By the way, you're most certainly welcome.[/color]
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top