HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Magical Creature Would You Choose as a Pet?

Go down

Which Magical Creature Would You Choose as a Pet? Empty Which Magical Creature Would You Choose as a Pet?

Post  Lady Arabella Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:18 pm

The following is an archive of material originally hosted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Which Magical Creature Would You Choose as a Pet? Empty Re: Which Magical Creature Would You Choose as a Pet?

Post  Lady Arabella Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:19 pm

- Which magical creature would you choose for a pet? (5/19/08-6/1/08)

Edited by Kip Carter Jun 10, 2008 4:43 am

We're talking about a pet you could take to Hogwarts with you....not the Giant Squid or a dragon (NO, Charlie...we've already been through this!....And don't sulk...you're too old for that.) Please choose only one animal as your favorite.

Which magical creature would you choose for a pet?

A) an owl: useful for mail delivery

B) a cat: mysterious and maybe snuggly

C) a pygmy puff: just be sure to keep it away from the cats!

D) a toad: might want to cast a tracking spell on him....

E) a rat: if he's got one silvery paw....back away slowly.

F) a snake: keep it away from the rats, toads and pygmy puffs!

Chemyst - May 19, 2008 6:25 pm (#1 of 47)

Owl. I want mail. Lots of it.

Potteraholic - May 19, 2008 6:32 pm (#2 of 47)

A) An owl

TwinklingBlueEyes - May 19, 2008 7:49 pm (#3 of 47)

A) an owl: useful for mail delivery

journeymom - May 19, 2008 9:18 pm (#4 of 47)

E) Rat. Rats make wonderful pets. Smart and fun.

geauxtigers - May 19, 2008 9:29 pm (#5 of 47)

I'm going to say A because its the only one besides a pygmy puff that you can't really have as a pet in the muggle world. In the muggle word, cats are my favorite! LOL But as far as having something I can't really have, it's got to be A and Owl!

Verity Weasley - May 19, 2008 9:39 pm (#6 of 47)

I'd have to agree with geauxtigers. I'm tempted to choose cat because they are my favourite too, and with email I wouldn't really need an owl for mail delivery. BUT, if we're talking about being at Hogwarts where my laptop wouldn't work, then it's got to be A - an owl!

Elanor - May 19, 2008 10:10 pm (#7 of 47)

A - An owl (though I really wouldn't mind a phoenix instead .)

I already 'have' an owl btw, she just doesn't know how to deliver mail properly yet: just across my street is a 12th century dungeon -the type of dungeon that is a tower - and there is a beautiful barn owl (we call them "dames blanches"/ "white ladies" here) living there that always passes close to my windows screeching during summer nights. I love her!

Anna L. Black - May 19, 2008 11:17 pm (#8 of 47)

A) owl, definitely!

Hogwarts Class of 85 - May 20, 2008 12:20 am (#9 of 47)

A

Dryleaves - May 20, 2008 12:59 am (#10 of 47)

B) A cat, like Crookshanks. I bet cats are just as useful as owls (but I wouldn't mind an owl either).

Swedish Short-Snout - May 20, 2008 6:52 am (#11 of 47)

DRAGON! I want a dragon! OK, since I'm not allowed to choose that I'll vote F) Snake.

Orion - May 20, 2008 10:06 am (#12 of 47)

A, an owl. You can certainly take one of the owls of the owlery of Hogwarts but having your own one is much more fun.

katrira - May 20, 2008 4:11 pm (#13 of 47)

A) an owl- since I can't personally fly, I'd just imagine myself flying with my owl.

Solitaire - Apr 25, 2008 9:41 pm (#14 of 47)

Well, since I can't have a Phoenix, I'll vote for A, an owl.

mona amon - May 21, 2008 5:06 am (#15 of 47)

A) An owl.

Thom Matheson - May 21, 2008 9:43 am (#16 of 47)

A, painted as a Phoenix

freshwater - May 21, 2008 4:44 pm (#17 of 47)

Thom, Thom, Thom....you don't paint an owl! You cast a Glamour charm on it! Which Magical Creature Would You Choose as a Pet? 464751818

(Although....I'd like to see you try to paint an owl! )

Julia H. - May 22, 2008 12:13 am (#18 of 47)

The problems of painting an animal... Freshwater, in a certain children's novel, there is an episode in which the children decide to paint a cat to make it look like a tiger (as it happens, they need a tiger very much) and a major problem they have to solve as they are about to start is to remember (and reach an agreement) whether the stripes of the tiger are vertical or horizontal.

BTW, why cannot kids in Hogwarts have a phoenix if the Headmaster can have one?

Orion - May 22, 2008 2:55 am (#19 of 47)

You'd have to clone him. Ask the guys in New Zealand how you do it. Or is there a duplicating charm somewhere in Canon? You could also polyjuice an ordinary barn owl, but you'd have to sneak up to Fawkes to rip out a feather and you'd probably get pecked for your troubles.

freshwater - May 22, 2008 11:43 am (#20 of 47)

Yeah, I don't think I want to tick off a magical creature that can burst into flames!

shepherdess - May 22, 2008 2:40 pm (#21 of 47)

A phoenix has a XXXX rating, but it would still be cool to have one.

azi - May 22, 2008 3:58 pm (#22 of 47)

B

journeymom - May 22, 2008 5:12 pm (#23 of 47)

Journeymom's daughter:

C) a pygmy puff

They're not real, so they're extra special.

Finn BV - May 24, 2008 3:17 pm (#24 of 47)

A, no doubt about it. They bring mail! They're pretty! Yay!

PeskyPixie - May 24, 2008 8:34 pm (#25 of 47)

Hmmm ... this is a difficult one. While I love owls, cats, toads, rats and snakes, I'll have to go with, C) a pygmy puff as I seem to have developed an obsession with them! Besides, journeymom's daughter is right - they're extra-special because you can't find them in the Muggle world. (And I seem to have misplaced 'Archie' again. )

Liz Mann - May 25, 2008 8:30 am (#26 of 47)

An owl. They're really useful and besides, apart from pygmy puffs they're the only animal you can't have in the real world.

Potteraholic - May 25, 2008 9:33 am (#27 of 47)

I already voted for an owl, but I just wanted to say my particular reason for my choice (in addition to the ones already given). Owls can turn their heads around a full 180? to 270?. How cool is that!

Orion - May 25, 2008 11:12 am (#28 of 47)

Owls are also amazingly competent and intelligent. Hedwig interacts with Harry so personally that she almost seems like a human being magically transformed into an animal. A Pygmy Puff was always on my "Want!"-list because I loved the Tribbles on Star Trek so much, but it's a bit of a good-for-nothing. It just sits around and twitters. (I hope that they at least twitter.)

shepherdess - May 25, 2008 12:07 pm (#29 of 47)

Tribbles=muggle pygmy puffs.

Chemyst - May 25, 2008 8:59 pm (#30 of 47)

Alien muggles, then?

wynnleaf - May 25, 2008 10:12 pm (#31 of 47)

an owl, definitely.

Julia H. - May 28, 2008 1:49 am (#32 of 47)

Decided at last! Four identical votes from my family (Julia, husband, and children): an owl; an owl; an owl; an owl.

haymoni - May 28, 2008 5:07 pm (#33 of 47)

An owl.

They're dead useful.

I wanted to use Hagrid's quote, but now I feel just awful about it.

Orion - May 29, 2008 6:57 am (#34 of 47)

Do you think the choice of words was intentional? If it was, it was pretty good, wasn't it? Especially as it's in the first book and Hedwig dies (booooooo!!!) in the last.

Mrs Brisbee - May 29, 2008 10:45 am (#35 of 47)

Owl.

I would have voted for cat, but I already have two and they cause enough trouble, even without magic.

Madam Pince - Jun 1, 2008 2:51 pm (#36 of 47)

I tend to think of an owl as a more utilitarian animal rather than a "pet." So I'm going to be weird and vote for B. cat because I love cats.

I wonder how magical folk who don't own owls get their mail? How did Hermione and Ginny and Neville get mail from people who don't own owls? Did the school owls do it? Surely there must be some stipulation for those folks, or else everyone would have owls, right?

Now see what you've done... I'm all confunded...

Julia H. - Jun 1, 2008 3:42 pm (#37 of 47)

Isn't there a post office full of regular post owls mentioned somewhere in the books?

Solitaire - Jun 1, 2008 8:03 pm (#38 of 47)

I think Hermione mentions one in Hogsmeade, on her first PoA trip there ... if I remember correctly.

shepherdess - Jun 1, 2008 10:26 pm (#39 of 47)

When the kids are at school, any of them could use any school owl to send letters. And of course, if they were in Hogsmeade, they could use the post owls. Ginny surely received her mail from home by Errol. I'm sure Neville's family must have had an owl too.

The biggest problem I see is how Hermione's parents sent her mail. Hmm...now how did the Dursleys send Harry his pathetic excuse for a Christmas gift?

I just knew JKR was going to leave a lot of questions unanswered!

Julia H. - Jun 1, 2008 10:49 pm (#40 of 47)

He says there must be wizards working undercover in the postal service who take care of... (The Prince's Tale)

Perhaps this is indeed the truth.

freshwater - Jun 2, 2008 8:55 am (#41 of 47)

I'll certainly look at my postman differently from here on out...

Wonder if I should ask him about my missing Hogwarts letter?  :goofygrin:

Laptop is still out for repairs, but I will try to tally the two recently ended polls this evening at the library.

freshwater - Jun 9, 2008 2:45 pm (#42 of 47)

Again, my apologies for the delay in posting the results of this poll. With my home computer out for repairs --for 3 weeks now!-- my screen time has been severely curtailed. Here are the results:

Which magical creature would you choose for a pet?

66% of the voteA) an owl: useful for mail delivery

9% of the voteB) a cat: mysterious and maybe snuggly

6% of the voteC) a pygmy puff: just be sure to keep it away from the cats!

no votesD) a toad: might want to cast a tracking spell on him....

3% of the voteE) a rat: if he's got one silvery paw....back away slowly.

3% of the voteF) a snake: keep it away from the rats, toads and pygmy puffs!

Write-in votes included one vote for a dragon for 3% of the vote (from Swedish Short Snout, appropriately enough) and 2 votes for a phoenix (6% of the vote).

Is anyone else surprised --like me-- that the owls got 2/3 of the vote? I thought they would be popular, but not so decisively....seems that we want out pets to be useful, not just cuddly and decorative.

PeskyPixie - Jun 9, 2008 2:55 pm (#43 of 47)

No need to apologize when you're giving us all such great treats, freshwater. Take your time; the Muggle world can get really hectic.

I didn't realize that owls would be so popular as they are Muggle creatures. I thought people would go nuts for Pygmy Puffs, but maybe that's just nutty me!

Orion - Jun 9, 2008 2:56 pm (#44 of 47)

Yes, yes, because pets are dead useful... (Says the owner of cats who are the most useless creatures in the universe, except if you're a farmer with a mouse problem.) Owls are just so amazingly intelligent and you can't have them as pets in the real world because it's forbidden, and it makes them desirable. I forgot to include Thestrals as a write-in-vote, they aren't among the creatures you can bring to Hogwarts, but as Thestral would be something like a private Lear Jet and really, really useful. (Provided nobody looks up and sees you, which would mean instant social death. Urgh.)

Chemyst - Jun 9, 2008 6:15 pm (#45 of 47)

LOL Orion! Owls can help with catching mice too; so that makes cats redundant.

Madam Pince - Jun 9, 2008 6:50 pm (#46 of 47)

Hey! Stop picking on the cats!

Dryleaves - Jun 10, 2008 1:33 am (#47 of 47)

Actually, I have friends who have owls for pets. Well, not really pets, but they take part in an eagle owl breeding project, so they have an eagle owl couple living in a cage out in their garden (they live in the countryside, by the forest) and the nestlings are newly hatched. Later, when they grow up they are set free. The eagle owl is a threatened species.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down