HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snape's Happy Memory

Go down

Snape's Happy Memory Empty Snape's Happy Memory

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:02 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Snape's Happy Memory Empty Re: Snape's Happy Memory

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Snape’s Happy Memory

(6/28/07-7/18/07)
S.E. Jones - Jun 28, 2007 12:26 am
Edited by Kip Carter Jul 18, 2007 9:32 pm

Since it would seem that Snape can produce a Patronus (since Order members communicate this way), and since a happy memory is needed for this, what would be a happy memory for Snape?

A - His mother
   B - The first day he arrived at Hogwarts (or the day he got his letter of invitation)
   C - The day he received an Outstanding in DADA NEWT
   D - The day he received the Dark Mark
   E - A particular day he spent with Lily
   F - The day he went to Dumbledore and got his second chance
   G - Something else (state what)
   H - I refuse to believe he can produce a Patronus

(Suggested by Madame Pomfrey with answer suggestions by me and my shadow 813)

This poll will be closed sometime after 8pm (server time) on July 18th.

Tazzygirl - Jun 28, 2007 1:50 am (#1 of 45)

I'm going to go with H - I refuse to believe he can produce a Patronus.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 28, 2007 6:25 am (#2 of 45)

B

painting sheila - Jun 28, 2007 6:41 am (#3 of 45)

I am going with G. I think it was the day he recieved his wand.

Jenniffler - Jun 28, 2007 6:42 am (#4 of 45)

F

rambkowalczyk - Jun 28, 2007 7:51 am (#5 of 45)

F

I'm sure he was relieved when Dumbledore accepted his explanation as to why he returned.

Elanor - Jun 28, 2007 8:27 am (#6 of 45)

F - I think DD's trust is what he values the most, hence his fury when Harry called him a coward after DD's death, casting the AK being the most difficult thing he ever did - which was IMO to be true to the word he gave DD

Madam Pince - Jun 28, 2007 8:35 am (#7 of 45)

E - A particular day he spent with Lily

Harry will be stunned to learn that he and Snape both use the same subject-matter memory to produce their patronuses...

mona amon - Jun 28, 2007 8:45 am (#8 of 45)

I'll vote for E- a particular day he spent with Lily

Or something to do with Lily anyway.

We'll probably never find out!

Thom Matheson - Jun 28, 2007 10:09 am (#9 of 45)

I'll say G. When he thought that Fudge was going to give him the Order of Merlin 1st class in PoA

wynnleaf - Jun 28, 2007 11:38 am (#10 of 45)

I'll guess at E. I think Lily will turn out to have been very important to Snape.

I think Dumbledore's trust in Snape is extremely important to him, but I can't see his return to Dumbledore and DD's subsequent "second chance" for him as being a happy time.

geauxtigers - Jun 28, 2007 12:48 pm (#11 of 45)

F Because Snape is good! Dumbledore trusted Snape, therefor, I trust Snape. Sorta! LOL

Mediwitch - Jun 28, 2007 1:02 pm (#12 of 45)

F ~ The day he went to Dumbledore and got his second chance.

Good Evans - Jun 28, 2007 1:47 pm (#13 of 45)

C - I can't think what else would make Snape happy at all!!!

journeymom - Jun 28, 2007 1:53 pm (#14 of 45)

Goodness, how to choose? These are all good possibilities

F - The day he went to Dumbledore and got his second chance

Madame Pomfrey - Jun 28, 2007 2:06 pm (#15 of 45)

E. I think Lily befriended Snape. He was possibly that"awful boy" Pet talked about.

Paul Potter - Jun 28, 2007 2:12 pm (#16 of 45)

Maybe Lily decided to help him out with his laundry after commenting about his gray pants

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jun 28, 2007 4:24 pm (#17 of 45)

I'm going with A. I hope his mother loved him. I don't see the Lily thing. If she married his worst enemy I think his love would turn to hate. Maybe that is what helped drive him to Voldemort. He insists that Harry is just like his father. He never mentions Harry's resemblance to Lily. LPO

Sticky Glue - Jun 28, 2007 4:53 pm (#18 of 45)

I'm going to go with "c"

freshwater - Jun 28, 2007 5:22 pm (#19 of 45)

A: his mother....although I was sorely tempted by "he can't cast a Patronus"

When Harry was searching for a happy memory to cast his first Patronus, memories of receiving his Hogwarts letter, learning he was a wizard, even of learning to fly for the first time, were all insufficient to help him create a Patronus. I think this will be true for Snape also (got his wand, "O" in DADA, etc.). Also, the other choices all come with "baggage": receiving the Dark Mark wouldn't be (or at least shouldn't be!) a happy memory now; even being trusted by DD has a connection to all the mistakes or wrong choices he'd made.

So.....the only possible answer is A: his mom, because.....**cue sappy music for the song:** "No one loves you any better than your M-O-double M-Y!"

PatPat - Jun 28, 2007 5:44 pm (#20 of 45)

LOL, freshwater. I've got to go with E, though I was also tempted to say that he can't produce a patronus. But I scrapped that idea. He is an extremely powerful wizard and it is the method of communication for the Order. Dumbledore said that Snape was able to contact Sirius in OoP because the members of the Order have faster methods of communication than the fire in Umbridge's office. I am assuming he was talking about the patronus. SOOO, after all that rambling, I am going to have to go with E. I don't think his relationship with his parents was that good and I can't see any of the other choices being strong enough. So, E. Yeah, E, definitely, E.

Solitaire - Jun 28, 2007 7:42 pm (#21 of 45)

G -- I think he loves remembering when he pulled off his first hex on James and James was unable to get him back just then. I'll bet he was on cloud 9!

totyle - Jun 28, 2007 10:45 pm (#22 of 45)

It just can’t be E..that gives me the shivers!

Answer : G, Something else. What could it be ? Since Harry joined Hogwarts -Imagining the day he could get that Potter brat Junior expelled. It doesn’t have to be something that has happened does it, in PoA Harry imagines Sirius being free and him going to live with him before he conjures the lakeside Patronus.

But it could have been something else previous to Harry joining Hogwarts. Still G and agreeing with Solitaire but more along the lines of the day he got back to the Marauders about something.

journeymom - Jun 29, 2007 12:47 am (#23 of 45)

Also, the other choices all come with "baggage": receiving the Dark Mark wouldn't be (or at least shouldn't be!) a happy memory now; even being trusted by DD has a connection to all the mistakes or wrong choices he'd made.

Good point!

Anna L. Black - Jun 29, 2007 3:38 am (#24 of 45)

I was tempted to say that he can't produce a Patronus, but I think he is a powerful enough wizard to be able to do it even with not-exactly-happy memories.

So, I'm choosing F - DD giving him a second chance wouldn't exactly be a happy memory, but it's a powerful one. Just like Sirius didn't go crazy because he knew he was innocent, Snape would be able to do some sort of Patronus, because he is determined to end this war. Or something.

Esther Rose - Jun 29, 2007 3:05 pm (#25 of 45)

I am going to go with "G" the one time (or perhaps the few times) Snape outsmarted the Mauderers. Snape was a little too "happy" to share all of the detentions James, Sirius, Remus and Pettigrew got. My guess is that he put them all there in some way or fashion.

Solitaire - Jun 29, 2007 8:18 pm (#26 of 45)

Esther Rose, you are in the same camp with me ... I think it is getting the best of either James or all of them. You are absolutely correct about Snape's glee in sharing with Harry all of the Marauders' indiscretions and punishments. I'll bet he just lives for opportunities like that!

Solitaire

Neville Longbottom - Jun 30, 2007 1:48 am (#27 of 45)

E

me and my shadow 813 - Jun 30, 2007 9:50 am (#28 of 45)

E. I feel it will be revealed his Lily memories are what keep him going.

Chemyst - Jun 30, 2007 12:32 pm (#29 of 45)

Memories for both his mother and Lily are probably too bittersweet to be truly happy, so G. I think it has changed over time. When he first learned, he probably used memories of himself as the Half-Blood Prince who could brew rings around Libatius Borage. During the time he was a DE he'd have imagined himself as an avenging angel. In recent years, he has used memories of successfully occluding LV from his mind. That has to be a rush!

freshwater - Jun 30, 2007 1:30 pm (#30 of 45)

Oooooo, good point, Chemyst! Continuing to put one over on old LV with his Occlumency skills must be very satisfying! Let's just hope Snape hasn't been doing the same with DD.

Choices - Jun 30, 2007 7:07 pm (#31 of 45)

I say G..... because I think it was Snape that kissed Florence and I think he might reflect on those stolen kisses to produce a Patronus. Or maybe not - who knows? LOL

MickeyCee3948 - Jun 30, 2007 7:35 pm (#32 of 45)

I have to go with Tazzygirl H. Snape is bad and has never had a truly happy moment in his life. If he was loved, he probably resisted the emotion as fruitless.

Mickey

Solitaire - Jun 30, 2007 8:13 pm (#33 of 45)

Choices, I almost said "kissing Florence," too!! I just wonder if it was indeed Snape who was kissing her. Bertha Jorkins saw whoever it was, and she was apparently at Hogwarts with Sirius ... which means she was there with Snape, too!

Solitaire

Choices - Jul 1, 2007 12:05 pm (#34 of 45)

LOL Great minds.... ;-)

I also think Florence just may have been Florian Fortescue's daughter.

virginiaelizabeth - Jul 1, 2007 1:21 pm (#35 of 45)

F!

Finn BV - Jul 1, 2007 10:36 pm (#36 of 45)

Gotta be E. Nothing else seems happy enough for Snape's patronus to live off of, and its being E supports my theory!!

Nicholas Schouten - Jul 3, 2007 11:34 am (#37 of 45)

C - The day he received an Outstanding in DADA NEWT.

-Nick

Hagsquid - Jul 3, 2007 12:07 pm (#38 of 45)

Wouldn't he, much like Hermoine in most of her subjects, have expected to get an O in DADA? I don't see it being a "happy" memory. He probably got his grades and thought nothing of it.

John Bumbledore - Jul 10, 2007 6:29 am (#39 of 45)

B for me. The day he got his Hogwarts Letter. Celebrating his Prince (Magical) Half-Blood side was stronger.

<)B^D˜

legolas returns - Jul 10, 2007 1:06 pm (#40 of 45)

G-getting the maurauders into trouble

Luna Logic - Jul 10, 2007 1:57 pm (#41 of 45)

I am hesitating between B - The day he got his letter of invitation to Hogwarts,  or C - The day he received an Outstanding in DADA NEWT, and G - Getting the marauders into trouble (as Legolas return just said)...
But I will finally say B - The day he got his letter of invitation to Hogwarts ( letter which allowed him to escape an existence perhaps rather miserable, like it did for Harry and Tom Riddle)

Veritaserum - Jul 16, 2007 3:17 pm (#42 of 45)

I have a hard time seeing Snape ever being happy. But considering all the effort he put into it, I'm going to go with C, receiving an O on his DADA OWL.

Edit: Was it NEWT or OWL? well, whichever, I'm sure he got an O on both.

xray - Jul 17, 2007 9:39 am (#43 of 45)

B. Since we know so little of Snape's background it seems to be the only logical choice considering his home life, not too different from Harry's.

Joanna Lupin - Jul 18, 2007 7:12 am (#44 of 45)

I'm going to be a little nasty here. As long as we know Snape, when has he been the happiest? I sure remember his insane glee when he thought he'd be finishing Sirius off in POA. That's why I say G - the moment he found out James was murdered, or alternatively the day Sirius was arrested.

He doesn't forgive easily, Severus.

Kip Carter - Jul 18, 2007 9:33 pm (#45 of 45)

This results on this question created an extremely tight race with 37 votes being casted. The top three choices were as follows:

G - Something else (state what) - 9 votes (24.3%)
   E - A particular day he spent with Lily - 8 votes (21.6%)
   F - The day he went to Dumbledore and got his second chance - 8 votes (21.6%)

The 9 votes for G - Something else were as follows:

1. The day he recieved his wand
   2. When he thought that Fudge was going to give him the Order of Merlin 1st class in PoA
   3. When he pulled off his first hex on James and James was unable to get him back just then
   4. Imagining the day he could get that Potter brat Junior expelled
   5. The one time (or perhaps the few times) Snape outsmarted the Marauders
   6. I think it has changed over time. When he first learned, he probably used memories of himself as the Half-Blood Prince who could brew rings around Libatius Borage. During the time he was a DE he'd have imagined himself as an avenging angel. In recent years, he has used memories of successfully occluding LV from his mind.
   7. I think it was Snape that kissed Florence and I think he might reflect on those stolen kisses to produce a Patronus. Or maybe not - who knows?
   8. Getting the maurauders into trouble
   9. The moment he found out James was murdered, or alternatively the day Sirius was arrested

Some of the 9 above are similar; however I chose to list each. Below are the full results of the voting.

Since it would seem that Snape can produce a Patronus (since Order members communicate this way), and since a happy memory is needed for this, what would be a happy memory for Snape?

A - His mother - 2 votes (5.4%)
   B - The first day he arrived at Hogwarts (or the day he got his letter of invitation) - 4 votes (10.8%)
   C - The day he received an Outstanding in DADA NEWT - 4 votes (10.8%)
   D - The day he received the Dark Mark - No votes (0%)
   E - A particular day he spent with Lily - 8 votes (21.6%)
   F - The day he went to Dumbledore and got his second chance - 8 votes (21.6%)
   G - Something else (state what) - 9 votes (24.3%)
   H - I refuse to believe he can produce a Patronus - 2 votes (5.4%)
   Note: The total for the percentages adds up to 99.9% with the remaining .1% due to fractions.

(Suggested by Madame Pomfrey with answer suggestions by me and my shadow 813)
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down