What is the most despicable thing Lord Voldemort did in DH?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is the most despicable thing Lord Voldemort did in DH?

Post  Lady Arabella on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:16 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011.
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the most despicable thing Lord Voldemort did in DH?

Post  Lady Arabella on Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:19 pm

What is the most despicable thing Voldemort did in Deathly Hallows? (4/27/08-5/11/08)

Edited by Kip Carter May 11, 2008 2:18 pm

What is the most despicable act by Lord Voldemort in Deathly Hallows? Please choose only 1 or 2.

1) the torture & death of the Muggle Studies teacher in ch.1

2) breaking into Dumbledore's tomb

3) forcing Hagrid to carry Harry's 'dead' body out of the forest

4) killing Snape with Nagini

5) using Bathilda Bagshot' body to hide Nagini

6) attempting to burn Neville & the Sorting Hat alive

7) the persecution of Muggleborns via the Ministry: arrests, seperating families, confiscation of wands, paying Snatchers, etc.

8 )something else __________________ (please specify)

Liz Mann - Apr 27, 2008 4:08 pm (#1 of 37)

I'm the first to vote!

I'm going to choose 2 and 7 - 2 because I remember thinking at the time that it was terrible, and 7 because it affected people on a mass scale rather than one or two individuals.

journeymom - Apr 27, 2008 6:24 pm (#2 of 37)

Most gross: using Bagshot's body to hide Nagini. Ick.

But my votes are 6) Neville and the Sorting Hat, and 7) persecution of Muggleborns

If there was a third option I'd include 4) Snape's ignoble death by Nagini.

Journeymom's Daughter: 3) forcing Hagrid to carry Harry's dead body out of the forest, and 4) killing Snape with Nagini

freshwater - Apr 27, 2008 7:15 pm (#3 of 37)

Most gross: using Bagshot's body to hide Nagini. Ick.—journeymom

I'm with you, journeymom....definitely a squicky moment! I'm hoping they revise that for the movie!

mona amon - Apr 27, 2008 7:25 pm (#4 of 37)

1) the torture & death of the Muggle Studies teacher in ch.1, and 7) the persecution of Muggleborns via the Ministry: arrests, seperating families, confiscation of wands, paying Snatchers, etc.

Charity Burbage's murder really shocked me, right at the beginning of the book as it was, and accounts of persecution are always horrible.

geauxtigers - Apr 27, 2008 8:49 pm (#5 of 37)

2 and 7

I think that Hagrid would have carried Harry out of the woods regardless of what Voldemort told him to do.

I think Breaking into Dumbledore's tomb was just horrible. 7 is self explanitory.

Mrs Brisbee - Apr 27, 2008 9:00 pm (#6 of 37)

7. The Persecution of Muggleborns via the Ministry

and

8. Overthrowing that sorry excuse for a Wizarding Government in the first place and replacing it with a despotic tyranny.

freshwater - Apr 27, 2008 10:20 pm (#7 of 37)

I think that Hagrid would have carried Harry out of the woods regardless of what Voldemort told him to do.—geauxtigers

That's an interesting way to look at it,geauxtigers. I've always seen it as an act of cruelty on LV's part just to torment Hagrid, as someone who loved Harry. LV could have levitated Harry ahead of him and had him be just as visable to everyone in the castle.

So, my votes are for #3: forcing Hagrid to carry Harry's 'dead' body, and #7: the persecution of the Muggleborns.

Dryleaves - Apr 28, 2008 1:37 am (#8 of 37)

I choose number 7 because this creates a horrible society where the Ministry is not the only persecutor, but where people are made to persecute each other.

Then I can't choose no more. They are all despicable and I can't rate them.

azi - Apr 28, 2008 2:53 am (#9 of 37)

1 and 5

I don't vote for 7 because Voldemort wasn't doing them himself. Sure, people were doing it on his orders, but I bet a lot of them were perfectly happy to do so without his permission.

Anna L. Black - Apr 28, 2008 5:50 am (#10 of 37)

That's a really tough choice. I'm definitely voting for 7, and then I'm torn between 1 and 4 - Charity's and Snape's murders.Those were the ones that shocked me the most, and they were both pointless, cruel deaths. I think I'll have to choose #1, because in killing Snape Voldemort at least had some purpose (in his eyes, not mine...)

TwinklingBlueEyes - Apr 28, 2008 7:43 am (#11 of 37)

Mrs Brisbee - Apr 28, 2008 8:13 am (#12 of 37)

Something that's not on the list--but strikes me as particularly despicable--is Voldemort's murder, while he is searching for Gregorovich, of that woman and her children. He didn't even gain anything from it, it was for no reason. I've already voted, but I just thought of this one.

freshwater - Apr 28, 2008 2:18 pm (#13 of 37)

I'll add that as a write-in vote, Mrs. B.

wynnleaf - Apr 28, 2008 8:21 pm (#14 of 37)

As far as what Voldemort personally did, directly, I'd say Charity's torture and murder, and Snape's murder. The incredible coldness of his actions -- absolutely unfeeling -- while he personally tortured and killed these people, one of which had been (as far as LV knew) a very faithful servant, demonstrates his total cruelty. It's the personal aspect of it that gets me. There are of course evil types through history who could order evil actions to be committed, but many attempted to hide behind a veneer of civility. Fewer of these people could also commit those actions personally.

freshwater - Apr 28, 2008 8:39 pm (#15 of 37)

Good point, wynnleaf. I think I've tended to see the persecution of Muggleborns are more despicable than the torture/murder of Charity Burbage, probably because it affected so many more people. But issuing policies that result in atrocities to a group of people out there is different from committing atrocities directly upon one person in your presence. You're right...the personal aspect of that --along with the complete lack of empathy-- is really disturbing.

Verity Weasley - Apr 28, 2008 11:12 pm (#16 of 37)

I'm going to vote for the torture and murder of Charity Burbage, and then the murder of Snape. I'm not voting for 7 for reasons already mentioned, that Voldemort didn't do that personally. But his callous killing of enemies and followers alike (he still believed Snape was his loyal servant after all) just demonstrates his total disregard for human life.

Hogwarts Class of 85 - Apr 29, 2008 1:35 am (#17 of 37)

1 and 7

HungarianHorntail11 - Apr 29, 2008 5:04 am (#18 of 37)

I think it's obvious that Voldemort enjoys killing - it gives him a sense of power and control among other things. So the murders he committed did not at all surprise me. But he's gone way outside those boundaries when he starts messing with corpses. If inferi had been on the list, I'd have chosen that but I'll have to go with 5) using Bathilda Bagshot's body to hide Nagini
Surely he could have come up with another way to lure Harry what with his curiosity and all.

Julia H. - Apr 29, 2008 5:49 am (#19 of 37)

It is a tough decision, all of these deeds are horrible. Like others, I've been hesitating between large-scale but indirect crimes (like the persecution of Muggleborns) and crimes done personally and with direct cruelty. I think I would choose the former if the question were about the most significant or most harmful crimes of Voldemort but as the question is about his most despicable crimes, I'll choose the ones he personally committed with great cruelty:

1) the torture and murder (these two things together are particularly despicable to me) of Charity Burbage (civilian prisoner of war) and

4) murdering Snape, which shows that Voldemort can kill a "friend" (for lack of a better word) with just as cold-blooded cruelty as enemies or strangers.

BTW, I agree with Mrs Brisbee that killing children (with or without a reason) is also one of his most despicable and absolutely horrible crimes.

I Am Used Vlad - Apr 29, 2008 9:20 am (#20 of 37)

Mrs Brisbee - Apr 29, 2008 9:51 am (#21 of 37)

I'll add that as a write-in vote, Mrs. B.—freshwater

Thanks, but since I already voted for two things, I need to change my vote (sorry!):

7 as before.

8 The pointless murder of those children while looking for Gregorovich. (changed from 8, overthrow of government to install dictatorship-- which is still despicable. I need an "It's all despicable!" option.)

Joanna Lupin - Apr 29, 2008 10:40 am (#22 of 37)

I think 7 is despicable result of such regime, but also a very typical one. Look at two totalitarisms of last century. The most despicable thing about them was that they made people lose their humanity. That's the worst thing and Voldemort's regime was doing it.

Nicholas Schouten - Apr 29, 2008 9:01 pm (#23 of 37)

6) attempting to burn Neville & the Sorting Hat alive

-Nick

Elanor - Apr 29, 2008 10:02 pm (#24 of 37)

1) The torture & death of the Muggle Studies teacher in ch.1

8 )The pointless murder of those children while looking for Gregorovich.

Orion - Apr 30, 2008 10:19 am (#25 of 37)

Nagini in Bathilda is not very cruel, because Bathilda is dead, it doesn't hurt her any more.

Hieronymus Graubart - May 1, 2008 12:51 pm (#26 of 37)

HungarianHorntail11 - May 1, 2008 2:55 pm (#27 of 37)

It certainly is despicable, Orion - forcing a live creature to live inside a rotting carcass.

freshwater - May 1, 2008 4:46 pm (#28 of 37)

It certainly is despicable, Orion - forcing a live creature to live inside a rotting carcass.

While that is true, HH11, I was thinking of it more along the lines of descrating a dead body....the disrespect shown to the person by the evil manner in which their dead body is treated. One could be very practical and state that a dead body has no feelings, and Bathilda wouldn't care because she was dead already...but that is not the point. The point is that civilized people do not treat the remains of other humans in that manner.

HungarianHorntail11 - May 1, 2008 4:50 pm (#29 of 37)

I agree wholeheartedly freshwater as you can see in my Post # 18 . I was merely adding another point. I figured there was no sense for me to be redundant. (I also used the word carcass on purpose, as that is how Voldemort would have seen it.)

Madam Pince - May 2, 2008 8:09 am (#30 of 37)

8 The pointless murder of those children while looking for Gregorovich.

This is in interesting poll -- the word "despicable" is giving me a lot of pause. He did a lot of "horrible" things, and "awful" things, and "terrible" things. Despicable for some reason just makes me think a bit differently, not sure why...

Potteraholic - May 2, 2008 1:35 pm (#31 of 37)

What is the most despicable act by Lord Voldemort in Deathly Hallows?

Swedish Short-Snout - May 5, 2008 2:16 am (#32 of 37)

Nicoline Vance - May 8, 2008 12:18 pm (#33 of 37)

What is the most despicable act by Lord Voldemort in Deathly Hallows?

1) the torture & death of the Muggle Studies teacher in ch.1 I think it was even more despicable, that no one did anything to help. I know that it would have been their own death sentence, but to ignore what was happening was wrong

2) breaking into Dumbledore's tomb Definitely disrespectful, but Dumbledore didn't feel anything

3) forcing Hagrid to carry Harry's 'dead' body out of the forest I don't think Hagrid would have wanted any of the Death Eaters to touch Harry, but the grief must have been overwhelming

4) killing Snape with Nagini Ultimately pointless(for Voldemort), but such a sad ending for someone he considered useful/faithful

5) using Bathilda Bagshot's body to hide Nagini High on the 'ick' factor, worse for Nagini than Bathilda

6) attempting to burn Neville & the Sorting Hat alive Horrible, it was meant to be painful and slow. It was in front of friends and enemies alike, so that Voldemort could teach them all to obey or suffer the consequences

7) the persecution of Muggleborns via the Ministry: arrests, seperating families, confiscation of wands, paying Snatchers, etc. The atmosphere of terror this must have created. It would be a terrible existence, even those who complied would always need to look over their shoulder.

8 )the pointless murder of those children while looking for Gregorovich. Terrible, just plain terrible

All of these actions are despicable, it is only a matter of degrees. I will have to go with 6 and 7, just because of my initial gut reaction to them.

Chemyst - May 8, 2008 6:37 pm (#34 of 37)

I was having trouble choosing between #4, #5, & #6 — and #1 wasn’t really all that far behind, and the appalling patricide wasn’t even on the list since it was exposed in another book— when it occurred to me that the most despicable thing wasn’t one of these actions, but was the heart-attitude that caused him to carry out these actions. Of course, the question specifically asks, “What is the most despicable act?” and it didn’t seem proper to use #8 to say his most despicable act is an attitude, so….
Upon further reflection I think Voldemort’s most despicable act ever was changing his name because that was the point at which he set himself up as a god. So, (once I saw it that way,) in answer to the question most despicable act by Lord Voldemort in Deathly Hallows; I will vote #8: Idolatry of himself.

freshwater - May 8, 2008 8:46 pm (#35 of 37)

Very interesting lines of reasoning and conclusions, Nicoline and Chemyst...thanks for explaining!

Madam Pince - May 9, 2008 6:35 am (#36 of 37)

Yes, bravo, Chemyst -- well-reasoned. The Ravenclaw door would be pleased.

freshwater - May 11, 2008 1:31 pm (#37 of 37)

Yah gotta love literature that has you proud to have impressed a door! Well said, Madam Pince!

Here are the results for this poll:

What is the most despicable act by Lord Voldemort in Deathly Hallows? Please choose only 1 or 2.

23%....1) the torture & death of the Muggle Studies teacher in ch.1

7%.....2) breaking into Dumbledore's tomb

5%.....3) forcing Hagrid to carry Harry's 'dead' body out of the forest

14%....4) killing Snape with Nagini

5%.....5) using Bathilda Bagshot' body to hide Nagini

7%.....6) attempting to burn Neville & the Sorting Hat alive

25%....7) the persecution of Muggleborns via the Ministry: arrests, seperating families, confiscation of wands, paying Snatchers, etc.

8 )something else __________________ (please specify)

14%....(a) killing the woman and children as he looked for Gregorovich

2%....(b) idolatry of himself (also known as pride)

-------------------------------------------

In order, here are the top vote getters:

25% for (7) persecution of muggles and muggleborn

23% for (1) torture and murder of Muggle studies teacher

There is a tie for third place:

14% for (4) killing Snape, and also for (8a)senseless murder of the woman and young children
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top