HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Is Your Least Favorite Hogwarts Student?

Go down

Who Is Your Least Favorite Hogwarts Student? Empty Who Is Your Least Favorite Hogwarts Student?

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:54 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Who Is Your Least Favorite Hogwarts Student? Empty Re: Who Is Your Least Favorite Hogwarts Student?

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Who is your least favorite Hogwarts student?  (5/11/08-5/25/08)[/B]

Edited by Kip Carter Jun 2, 2008 3:19 am

This poll was suggested, and mostly designed, in an April 9th post by geauxtigers, with input from a few others. Thanks, geauxtigers!

Who is your least favorite Hogwarts student? For the purpose of this poll we will limit disagreeable students to those who attended during Harry's 6 years at Hogwarts...so no Peter Pettigrew or Tom Riddle in this one. Please choose no more than 4 answers!

a) Ernie MacMillan...his patronus is a boar...for good reason

b) Zacharias Smith...arrogant questioner during D.A. and pushing first years aside to escape the castle

c) Marietta Edgecombe....Cho's friend who betrayed the D.A.

d) Cho Chang...Harry's first crush, dated Cedric, defender of Marietta

e) Marcus Flint...Slytherin Quidditch player/captain? in Harry's first few years

f) Draco Malfoy...a boy who needs no introduction

g) Pansy Parkinson....simpering, fawning girl friend of Draco's

h) Romilda Vane....desperate to get Harry for herself

i) Cormac McClaggen...arrogant, tried out for Keeper in book 6, romantically pushy w/Hermione

j) Percey Weasley....(BIG-)Head Boy

k) Dennis Creevy....stalker or fangirl?

l) Roger Davies...asked Fleur to the Yule Ball

m) Vincent Crabbe &/or Gregory Goyle...up until the end of book 7, could you tell them apart?

n) Ginny Weasley...someone specifically asked that she be included so.....

katrira - May 11, 2008 3:13 pm (#1 of 34)

g) Pansy Parkinson- I endured far too many Pansies when I was in school to ever read about one without wanting to tear her hair out; and j) Percy Weasley- there is nothing worse than a sanctimonious Know-it-all.

Veritaserum - May 11, 2008 4:28 pm (#2 of 34)

Crabbe/Goyle and Pansy.

Solitaire - May 11, 2008 6:11 pm (#3 of 34)

J) Percy (He was disloyal to his family during some pretty dark times. I hated that about him.)
C) Marietta (Her betrayal contributed to some serious fallout, so she makes my list.)
F) Draco (Obviously! His actions were hurtful from the day we met him.)
B) Zacharias (Just because!)

Chemyst - May 11, 2008 6:28 pm (#4 of 34)

least favorite male = i) Cormac McClaggen...   but might have been Zacharias if we'd had a few more details; hard to know which was the more arrogant.

least favorite female = c) Marietta Edgecombe...   not just for selling out the DA, but also for how she manipulated Cho.

geauxtigers - May 11, 2008 7:06 pm (#5 of 34)

B, D, C, I

freshwater - May 11, 2008 8:32 pm (#6 of 34)

b) Zacharias Smith...he was obnoxious when H/R/H were trying to do something helpful (D.A.), but pushing younger students aside to get out of Hogwarts ahead of them...shameful!

h) Romilda Vane....boycrazy girls are sooooo annoying!

i) Cormac MacClaggen...arrogance and self-absorbtion: 2 huge turn-offs

k) Dennis Creevy...OK, I'm sorry he died, but his hero-worship of Harry was just creepy

Elanor - May 11, 2008 9:55 pm (#7 of 34)

Here are the ones who can get on my nerves while reading:

g) Pansy Parkinson, I too have met a few like her when at school and that was NOT a happy experience.

n) Ginny Weasley: to me, till the OotP she was just rather insipid (though I already had a problem with some of her actions in CoS) and I found her really obnoxious in the HBP.

Anna L. Black - May 11, 2008 10:51 pm (#8 of 34)

Pansy, Marietta and Zacharias.

freshwater, did you mean Colin Creevey? Dennis was his younger brother...

Dryleaves - May 12, 2008 12:59 am (#9 of 34)

Well, that was quite a list!

G) Pansy Parkinson - Oh yes, I've met her too...

I) Cormac McClaggen - arrogant, thinks he is irresistible just because he is good at sports

M) Crabbe and Goyle - because you can't tell them apart, because they are opportunists (they don't care much about Draco when he is not in favour anymore)

Julia H. - May 12, 2008 2:20 am (#10 of 34)

G) Pansy Parkinson

M) Crabbe and Goyle

F) Draco Malfoy

TwinklingBlueEyes - May 12, 2008 5:09 am (#11 of 34)

c) Marietta Edgecombe....Cho's friend who betrayed the D.A.

f) Draco Malfoy...a boy who needs no introduction

m) Vincent Crabbe &/or Gregory Goyle...up until the end of book 7, could you tell them apart?

Hogwarts Class of 85 - May 12, 2008 8:34 am (#12 of 34)

g) Pansy Parkinson e) Marcus Flint

Potteraholic - May 12, 2008 8:58 am (#13 of 34)

c) Marietta Edgecombe
g) Pansy Parkinson
j) Percy Weasley
m) Vincent Crabbe &/or Gregory Goyle

freshwater - May 12, 2008 9:04 am (#14 of 34)

freshwater, did you mean Colin Creevey? Dennis was his younger brother...—Anna

You're right, Anna...guess I consider them as a matched set, sort of like Crabbe and Goyle. I'll tally it as Collin, not as a write-in for Dennis....as the younger brother emulating his older brother his behavior doesn't bother me so much. Besides, he's a friend of the giant squid!

journeymom - May 12, 2008 9:37 am (#15 of 34)

Top of my list: g) That absolute cow, Pansy Parkinson.

c) Marietta Edgecombe

f) Draco Malfoy, got Hagrid fired. Jerk.

i) Cormac McClaggen, potentially violent date.

Orion - May 12, 2008 9:54 am (#16 of 34)

F) Draco, who did everything to get Buckbeak killed just out of spite.

J) Percy, who was responsible for hurt and sorrow in his family for years, and who was partly responsible for Fred's death because Fred was distracted by Percy's stupid joke.

M) Crabbe and Goyle, because I see them at work every day and spend lots of time and energy keeping them from intimidating other students and people like that give children traumatic childhoods.

N) Ginny, who evolves from nondescript into some sort of Gryffindor Pansy Parkinson.

azi - May 12, 2008 10:49 am (#17 of 34)

I'll go with C and D.

shepherdess - May 12, 2008 10:56 am (#18 of 34)

Freshwater, on the original list you have Dennis Creevey, not Colin. So when you voted for Dennis, you were going with the choice on the list. If you change your vote to Colin, then it would be a write in--unless you change the original listing from Dennis to Colin.

Did that make any sense? Or am I just confused?

Verity Weasley - May 12, 2008 4:41 pm (#19 of 34)

I'll go with Draco Malfoy and Marietta Edgecombe.

freshwater - May 12, 2008 6:14 pm (#20 of 34)

Freshwater, on the original list you have Dennis Creevey, not Colin.—Shepherdess

**head-desk** If you are confused then it is my fault...I intended to put Colin Creevey on the list, but mistakenly typed in Dennis. Clearly I need to grasp a Rememberall while posting the polls! My only excuse is that I am battling a chest/head cold and obviously am not in top form.

So....sorry for the confusion, guys. I'll tally whichever Creevey brother you mention in your post.....if you choose one of them at all.

Mrs Brisbee - May 13, 2008 5:52 am (#21 of 34)

I'm never quite sure if "least favorite" means "find pointless as literary character" or "would least like to sit with on the Hogwarts Express". For the purpose of this poll, I will assume the latter.

F) Draco Malfoy. Walks around Hogwarts, openly calling people Mudblood and wishing them dead, and still gets to be Prefect. Yuck.

M) Crabbe and Goyle. Goons, who love to torture people, and in the case of Crabbe, are okay with killing too.

I) Cormac McClaggen. Okay, he's not criminally insane or anything, but I'm pretty sure if I was stuck in a small compartment with him for any length of time I might become so.

G) Pansy Parkinson. Mean, mean, mean.

Liz Mann - May 13, 2008 6:56 am (#22 of 34)

C) Marietta Edgecome
G) Pansy Parkinson
H) Romilda Vane

PeskyPixie - May 13, 2008 1:49 pm (#23 of 34)

Who is your least favorite Hogwarts student?

1. f) Draco Malfoy; a born coward with a big mouth

2. g) Pansy Parkinson; She's a 'mean girl'

3. j) Percy Weasley; he sells out his family, which just happens to be a decent one

4. m) Vincent Crabbe &/or Gregory Goyle ; idiotic, ignorant, impressionable - not a good combination

A lot of these characters are pretty irritating, but it's hard to beat the 'Big Four': Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Parkinson. I still don't like Zacharias Smith, Cormac McLaggen and Romilda Vane (without the Blood politics, she's practically a Gryffindor Pansy Parkinson).

On the other hand, I'm glad that no one has picked my dear little Ernie as least favourite yet!

journeymom - May 14, 2008 1:29 pm (#24 of 34)

Oh, I liked Ernie! He was endearingly pompous, never horrible.

mona amon - May 15, 2008 1:57 am (#25 of 34)

m) Vincent Crabbe &/or Gregory Goyle- Mindless thugs, and

g) Pansy Parkinson

freshwater - May 19, 2008 5:27 pm (#26 of 34)

I have a favor to ask....Hungarian Horntail 11 suggested a poll about the bravest person or bravest act/moment in the series....or maybe we should do it by book? Anyway, if one occurs to you, please post it in the "Poll Suggestions--Submit Yours Here" thread....if I try to list them all myself I'm sure to omit some of the best.

Also, I'd like to do a poll on the best or most beautiful description in each book. If you would, again, post those ideas in the "Poll Suggestions--Submit Yours Here" thread...maybe as you are re-reading one of the books....that would be an enormus help. I plan to record some as I participate in the series re-read scheduled to start sometime this summer (???), but collecting them that way will take quite a while.

The polls will only be as good as the input from our members. THanks for your help!

freshwater / Robin

Swedish Short-Snout - May 20, 2008 7:03 am (#27 of 34)

g) Pansy Parkinson....simpering, fawning girl friend of Draco's

h) Romilda Vane....desperate to get Harry for herself

k) Colin and Dennis Creevey....stalker or fangirl?

Finn BV - May 24, 2008 3:11 pm (#28 of 34)

B, Zacharias Smith… annoying people who electively do things and then openly complain about them are the worst!

G, Pansy Parkinson… there are a number of words to describe her which I will not use. She is so awful.

I, Cormac McClaggen… too arrogant.

J, Percy Weasley… I agree with Soli completely – he betrayed his family during "some pretty dark times" and while he was at school he was pretty pompous too. But he came through in the end.

PeskyPixie - May 24, 2008 5:47 pm (#29 of 34)

Hi, Finn! ***waves***

Finn BV - May 25, 2008 12:20 pm (#30 of 34)

Hi Pesky!! You can see my hello note here. I'm not really back… my work is all done June 8th, but four days later I'm in Europe for 10 days… so it's not really until the 22nd I'll be "back"!

Vox Gerbilis - May 25, 2008 6:34 pm (#31 of 34)

(B) (F) and (M)

Zacharias because he's a despicable gutless wonder, belittling others' efforts to do what he's too cowardly to attempt.

Draco, because he was perfectly willing to embrace evil as long as he believed it wouldn't cost him anything.

Crabbe/Goyle--do I even have to explain? I hate thugs and bullies!

Why is Ernie on this list? He can be annoying, but he's a thoroughly decent chap.

wynnleaf - May 25, 2008 10:16 pm (#32 of 34)

D, H, and I.

I chose them based on how tiresome I find them as characters, not on whether they're worse or nicer as people. Cho was extremely tiresome, in my opinion. Romilda was somewhat tiresome. Cormac wasn't actually tiresome as I felt he tended to liven things up, but he reminds me kind of how I picture James, so I didn't like reading about him.

Choices - May 26, 2008 4:27 pm (#33 of 34)

F. Draco.....and the rest of his family, for that matter. LOL

freshwater - May 31, 2008 10:32 am (#34 of 34)

My apologies for being nearly a week late in ending this poll. My laptop died a week ago and I haven't been able to stay after work to use those computers...also the darn filter wouldn't let me view certain pages of this poll!?! Anyway, here are the results....

Who is your least favorite Hogwarts student? For the purpose of this poll we will limit disagreeable students to those who attended during Harry's 6 years at Hogwarts...so no Peter Pettigrew or Tom Riddle in this one. Please choose no more than 4 answers!

no votes...I know, I like him, too a) Ernie MacMillan...his patronus is a boar...for good reason

8% of the vote b) Zacharias Smith...arrogant questioner during D.A. and pushing first years aside to escape the castle

11.5% of the vote c) Marietta Edgecombe....Cho's friend who betrayed the D.A.

4% of the vote d) Cho Chang...Harry's first crush, dated Cedric, defender of Marietta

1.3% of the vote e) Marcus Flint...Slytherin Quidditch player/captain? in Harry's first few years

lucky 13% of the vote f) Draco Malfoy...a boy who needs no introduction

20.5% of the vote g) Pansy Parkinson....simpering, fawning girl friend of Draco's

5% of the vote h) Romilda Vane....desperate to get Harry for herself

10% of the vote i) Cormac McClaggen...arrogant, tried out for Keeper in book 6, romantically pushy w/Hermione

8% of the vote j) Percey Weasley....(BIG-)Head Boy

2.6% of the vote k) Dennis Creevy....stalker or fangirl?

no votes l) Roger Davies...asked Fleur to the Yule Ball

14%of the vote m) Vincent Crabbe &/or Gregory Goyle...up until the end of book 7, could you tell them apart?

2.6% of the votes n) Ginny Weasley...someone specifically asked that she be included so.....

-----------------------------------

To summarize....the most disliked Hogwarts students of Harry's years are:

Pansy Parkinson with 20.5% of the vote

Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle with 14% of the vote

Draco Malfoy with 13% of the vote

Marietta Edgecombe with 11.5% of the vote

Cormac McClaggen with 10% of the vote, and...

a tie for 6th place with Zacharias Smith and Percy Weasley each receiving 8% of the votes.

I'll be interested to see how folks feel about these results....some of them surprised me!
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down