HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Spells Would You Most Like To Learn? (A-D only)

Go down

Which Spells Would You Most Like To Learn? (A-D only) Empty Which Spells Would You Most Like To Learn? (A-D only)

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:43 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Which Spells Would You Most Like To Learn? (A-D only) Empty Re: Which Spells Would You Most Like To Learn? (A-D only)

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Which spells would you most like to learn? (spells from A-D only)
(7/13/08-7/27/08)

Edited by Kip Carter Aug 13, 2008 10:00 pm

I must apologize because someone suggested this poll on the poll suggestions thread, but I did not write it down and, despite scanning the last 100 posts on that thread, I have not found it. So...Thank you! to whoever suggested this poll, and please identify yourself in order to claim the points for your house.

The Ministry of Magic has --in their vast wisdom-- approved a new curriculum: The ABC's of Magic. Below are key spells, listed alphabetically A-D (spells in E-Z will appear in future polls). Please select one spell beginning with A, B, C and D --that's 4 spells in all-- as the focus of your instruction this coming year at Hogwarts.

A

1) Accio: causes and object to fly to the caster, even over quite some distance

2) Aguamenti: conjures a fountain or jet of clear water from the caster’s wand

3) Alohormora: causes a lock to open

4) Avis: conjures a small flock of twittering birds

B

1) Banishing Charm: opposite of the Accio charm

2) Bat Bogey Hex: causes flapping, mucous bats to erupt from the target’s nose

3) Bluebell Flames

C

1) Caterwauling Charm: when an unauthorized person enters the target area the caterwauling alarm will sound

2) Cave Inimicum: defensive spell to keep enemies away, set around the tents by Hermione in DH

3) Cheering Charm: a charm that causes a person to feel temporarily more cheerful and positive

4) Colloportus: seals a door closed, making an odd squelching sound

5) Confundo: causes a person to become confused; they are said to be “confunded”

6) Cushioning Charm: creates the effect of a invisible pillow

D

1) Defodio: digs through or hollows out the target; used in DH to help the dragon escape from Gringott’s

2) Descendo: causes something to lower or descend

3) Diffindo: cuts something open

4) Disillusionment Charm: hides the true, magical nature of something; used to hide dragons and the professional Quidditch pitches from muggles

freshwater - Jul 13, 2008 3:29 pm (#1 of 41)

I'm sure my directions are less than crystal clear (did someone call for Prof.Trelawney?) so here is an example of how your answers might be posted.

I'd like to learn...

A 1: Accio...this would be particularly helpful for those items I've misplaced!

B 1: Banishing Charm (great for picking up a room at the end of the day)

C 3: Cheering Charm...would keep my students and co-workers easier to deal with...although the Confunding Charm might work just as well!

D 4: Disillusionment Charm....never know what you might need to hide...

azi - Jul 13, 2008 3:40 pm (#2 of 41)

A1 B3 C3 D4

Hogwarts Class of 85 - Jul 13, 2008 6:03 pm (#3 of 41)

A1, B3, C6, D4

journeymom - Jul 13, 2008 7:22 pm (#4 of 41)

A 1) Accio

B 2) Bat Bogey Hex

C 3) Cheering Charm

D 3) Diffindo

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jul 13, 2008 8:37 pm (#5 of 41)

A - 1) Accio: causes and object to fly to the caster, even over quite some distance

B - 2) Bat Bogey Hex: causes flapping, mucous bats to erupt from the target’s nose

C - 5) Confundo: causes a person to become confused; they are said to be “confunded”

D - 3) Diffindo: cuts something open

Julia H. - Jul 14, 2008 3:13 am (#6 of 41)

I suggested the poll originally. It was probably mentioned in the same post where I suggested the wizarding houses poll so that may be the reason why you did not find it. (As the other one, it was originally my son's idea but for some reason this had to be a secret then. )

Anna L. Black - Jul 14, 2008 3:25 am (#7 of 41)

A1 - Accio - I so need it in real life!

B3 - Bluebell Flames - could be useful in winter, or when BBQ-ing

C4 - Colloportus - to keep my brother from entering the room 9or does it mean I need Alohomora as well? )

D4 - Dissilusionment charm - if we can't have the cloak, then at least this

freshwater - Jul 14, 2008 6:11 am (#8 of 41)

Thank you, Julia, for suggesting this poll! There are LOTS of spells listed on the Lexicon, so your idea will be spawning polls for months to come! Maybe after working our way through the ABC's of Magic -- 4-6 letters at a time-- we can have a final "Favorite Spells to Learn" poll containing the top vote getters from all the previous spells polls.

Orion - Jul 14, 2008 7:54 am (#9 of 41)

A3 Alohomora (get rich quickly), B3 Bluebell Flames (with your tent and your flames, you don't need a house), C5 Confundo (and the world is your oyster), D4 Disillusionment Charm (inbuilt invisibility cloak). Together: maximum independence.

freshwater - Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm (#10 of 41)

You know, Orion...with your comments about A3, C5 and D4, I sense some Slytherin tendencies for world domination in your heart....should we be concerned?  Which Spells Would You Most Like To Learn? (A-D only) 1003735042

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jul 14, 2008 9:44 pm (#11 of 41)

LOL! "You know, Orion...with your comments about A3, C5 and D4, I sense some Slytherin tendencies for world domination in your heart....should we be concerned?"

I see youth. And even remember it!

Edited: Ok, I confess, I remember some of it...

Potteraholic - Jul 15, 2008 2:44 am (#12 of 41)

DIY avatar made with HTML code

A --> 1 Accio!
B --> 3 Bluebell flames
C --> 2 Cave Inimicum!
D --> 4 Disillusionment Charm

PeskyPixie - Jul 15, 2008 8:47 am (#13 of 41)

Don't be fooled by Orion's youthfulness! Did you know that the Sorting Hat placed her in Slytherin before she forced her way into Hufflepuff?!

A=>1) Accio: causes and object to fly to the caster, even over quite some distance

B=>1) Banishing Charm: opposite of the Accio charm

C=>5) Confundo: causes a person to become confused; they are said to be “confunded”

D=>4) Disillusionment Charm: hides the true, magical nature of something; used to hide dragons and the professional Quidditch pitches from muggles

geauxtigers - Jul 15, 2008 9:18 pm (#14 of 41)

A:1, B:2, C:6, and D:4

Orion - Jul 16, 2008 6:26 am (#15 of 41)

Don't be fooled by Orion's youthfulness! What she's trying to say is "That woman is in reality so old that she can even remember when folks still used to pluck their eyebrows."

PeskyPixie - Jul 16, 2008 10:32 am (#16 of 41)

What she really means is that Orion is a Slytherin in Hufflepuff robes! (and she doesn't pluck her eyebrows because they're naturally divinely perfect!)

Sorry for being so off-topic ... I'll go iron my hands now ... or maybe I can just shut them in the oven door?

Solitaire - Jul 16, 2008 12:15 pm (#17 of 41)

It's too hot for oven doors, Pesky ... slam them in the refrigerator door.

BTW, I do not pluck my eyebrows, either. Young Brooke Shields was my "eyebrow idol." Besides, my brows are perfectly shaped (the only thing on my entire body that is, so don't begrudge me). The only problem is that they are starting to fade out ...

freshwater - Jul 16, 2008 1:03 pm (#18 of 41)

Brilliant idea about the refrigerator door, Solitaire! And don't be ridiculous....you obviously have a truly beautiful smile, and --although it's a bit hard to tell on your teeny avatar-- I'll bet you have pretty eyes, too.

Solitaire - Jul 16, 2008 8:31 pm (#19 of 41)

You're sweet, Freshwater. That is just a very flattering picture!

Let me see ... the spells I'd most like to learn are the following:

A: Accio (I can't tell you the number of times I wish I could Accio my lunch, which I left sitting on the kitchen counter ... or a stack of papers I was grading and left on the table.)
B: Banishing Charm (Many times I'd like to be able to get rid of things. Banishing would come in handy ... maybe for some students.)
C: It's hard to choose here. I need all of them on a regular basis. I suppose I could use some Cheering Charms more often than the others during the school year.
D: Descendo would be nice, given the state of my knees and my current difficulty in climbing ladders to get things in high places.

I can't wait for the other letters!

Solitaire

Madam Pince - Jul 16, 2008 8:55 pm (#20 of 41)

Definitely Accio (like Soli, I "try" it all the time but haven't gotten it to work yet, alas); then Bluebell Flames (dead useful for campfires or in case I ever go on "Survivor"); Cheering Charm (seems more practical than any of the others); and Disillusionment Charm (who hasn't wanted to be invisible at one time or another? Also handy for "Survivor"... )

Solitaire - Jul 16, 2008 9:06 pm (#21 of 41)

Madam Pince, it just does not get cold enough where I live to need the flames--not if I have to make a choice. I wouldn't mind putting that Cave Inimicum around my house, either. It would eliminate all those pesky door-to-door salesmen ... and people who want to TP my house.

Mrs Brisbee - Jul 16, 2008 9:07 pm (#22 of 41)

A3) Alohormora. That Accio isn't going to do much good if I've locked my keys in the car.

B1) Banishing Charm. I don't mind going to get things, but actually putting them away? I need all the help I can get.

C1) Caterwauling Charm. Because the stupid deer ate all my eggplants . This might make them think twice about dining in my garden.

D4) Disillusionment Charm. I can't think of any practical use for it offhand, but it's too much fun to pass up.

[TwinklingBlueEyes]TwinklingBlueEyes - Jul 16, 2008 11:14 pm (#23 of 41)

C1) Caterwauling Charm. Because the stupid deer ate all my eggplants . This might make them think twice about dining in my garden.

The rabbits ate my cantaloupe! No more Mr Nice guy! These cantaloupe were 10-12 inches across!

D4) Disillusionment Charm. I can't think of any practical use for it offhand, but it's too much fun to pass up.

I can; stay up and scare the bejesus out of the rabbits!

Mrs Brisbee - Jul 17, 2008 4:52 am (#24 of 41)

I can; stay up and scare the bejesus out of the rabbits!

ROFL! Yup, that could work on deer, too.

Julia H. - Jul 19, 2008 2:34 pm (#25 of 41)

A) 1. Accio would make life significantly more comfortable.

B) 2. Bat Bogey Hex: just in case.

C) 3. Cheering Charm: I would know how to use it - I could help a lot of people feel happier at least for a while.

D) 4. Disillusionment Charm: because it sounds cool!

Solitaire - Jul 19, 2008 2:37 pm (#26 of 41)

To be honest, I would like to know some of Mrs. Weasley's cooking and cleaning charms. I would love to bewitch my vacuum to go on its own, and I'd also love a self-cleaning kitchen!

Julia H. - Jul 19, 2008 2:38 pm (#27 of 41)

I would like that, too!

freshwater - Jul 19, 2008 4:21 pm (#28 of 41)

Me, three! Remember, more spells will appear in future polls...these are only the ones listed alphabetically A-D.

Chemyst - Jul 21, 2008 7:52 am (#29 of 41)

Accio, just because
Banishing Charm, in case 'accio' messes up
(I notice Ministry of Magic participated in a bit of censorship with the omission of "crucio" in their newly approved curriculum!  Aw, shucks.) Well then, Cheering Charms won the sickle toss with Cave Inimicum— although keeping enemies away is also cheery
Disillusionment Charm; in case the Cheering Charm messes up and I need to get away from it all

PeskyPixie - Jul 21, 2008 8:01 am (#30 of 41)

Yeah, I noticed the absence of 'Crucio' as well.

freshwater - Jul 21, 2008 8:03 am (#31 of 41)

Actually, Chemyst, I was responsible for that bit of censorship....I was convinced that none of our forum friends would have any use for an Unforgiveable curse. **flutters eyelashes innocently** Also, I wouldn't want to be party to any **ahem** misuse of anyone's powers. **resumes innocent eyelash batting**

Solitaire - Jul 21, 2008 11:06 am (#32 of 41)

Are you wearing your pink sweater today, Freshwater? All that eyelash batting made me wonder ...

freshwater - Jul 21, 2008 11:35 am (#33 of 41)

LOL! No, it's too warm for a sweater....but I was thinking of putting on a pink headband and petting a kitten. (Somebody please slap me if I do! Or at least cast "Finite Incantatum" to release me from the Imperius curse!)

John Bumbledore - Jul 21, 2008 1:18 pm (#34 of 41)

I'm waiting for the E's (or should that be P's), but would Expecto Patronum work agains the "pink toad?"

A-3) Alohormora, unlock;
B-1) Banishing Charm, being the opposite of the Accio charm makes it a BOGO (buy one, get one free);
C-2) Cave Inimicum, so long as enemy isn't too specific; and
D-4)Disillusionment Charm.

John Bumbledore <)B^D˜

mona amon - Jul 26, 2008 3:04 am (#35 of 41)

A) The first three all seem very useful. I'll choose 1) Accio, as I never know where to find anything.

B) 1) Banishing charm, should make tidying up easier and quicker...maybe!

C) Cave Inimicum I guess.

D) Dissillusionment Charm, definitely!

Solitaire - Jul 26, 2008 1:31 pm (#36 of 41)

Can you really banish a human being ... as in send him or her far, far away? In GoF, Neville "banished" Professor Flitwick around the room. But Neville was not that powerful yet. I wonder ... could a powerful wizard banish the Pink Toad to Azkaban? Can you banish something to a specific place? Or is that a different charm? Questions, questions ...

freshwater - Jul 27, 2008 2:27 pm (#37 of 41)

Thank you to Julia for suggesting a "which spell would you like to learn?" poll! Here are the results for selected spells from the Lexicon, listed alphabetically A-D.

The Ministry of Magic has --in their vast wisdom-- approved a new curriculum: The ABC's of Magic. Below are key spells, listed alphabetically A-D (spells in E-Z will appear in future polls). Please select one spell beginning with A, B, C and D --that's 4 spells in all-- as the focus of your instruction this coming year at Hogwarts.

A

82% of the A votes 1) Accio: causes and object to fly to the caster, even over quite some distance

no votes 2) Aguamenti: conjures a fountain or jet of clear water from the caster’s wand

18% of the A votes 3) Alohormora: causes a lock to open

no votes 4) Avis: conjures a small flock of twittering birds

B

41% of the B votes 1) Banishing Charm: opposite of the Accio charm

24% of the B votes 2) Bat Bogey Hex: causes flapping, mucous bats to erupt from the target’s nose

35% of the B votes 3) Bluebell Flames

C

10% of the C votes 1) Caterwauling Charm: when an unauthorized person enters the target area the caterwauling alarm will sound

16% of the C votes 2) Cave Inimicum: defensive spell to keep enemies away, set around the tents by Hermione in DH

37% of the C votes 3) Cheering Charm: a charm that causes a person to feel temporarily more cheerful and positive

5% of the C votes 4) Colloportus: seals a door closed, making an odd squelching sound

16% of the C votes 5) Confundo: causes a person to become confused; they are said to be “confunded”

16% of the C votes 6) Cushioning Charm: creates the effect of a invisible pillow

D

no votes 1) Defodio: digs through or hollows out the target; used in DH to help the dragon escape from Gringott’s

6% of the D votes 2) Descendo: causes something to lower or descend

11% of the D votes 3) Diffindo: cuts something open

83% of the D votes 4) Disillusionment Charm: hides the true, magical nature of something; used to hide dragons and the professional Quidditch pitches from muggles

==================================

To summarize....top votes went to....

Accio, with 82% of the A votes

Banishing Charm, with 41% of the B votes...

Cheering Charms, with 37% of the C votes, and....

Disillusionment Charm, with 83% of the D votes.

What conclusions can we draw? Well...I'd say that --based on our desire for Accio and Banishing Charms-- we're a bunch of neat-freaks.....our desire for Cheering Charms either means that we are a depressed bunch who need cheering up, or that we are a compassionate bunch and wish to cheer up others....but with Disillusionment Charm getting 83% of the D vote (! ) it seems many of us have something to hide.

==============================

Can you really banish a human being ... as in send him or her far, far away?—Solitaire

I don't know....but I'd be willing to test it on my last principal! Please? Pretty please.....  Which Spells Would You Most Like To Learn? (A-D only) 266347159

Julia H. - Jul 27, 2008 2:46 pm (#38 of 41)

LOL, Freshwater and Solitaire. Now that is food for imagination!

PeskyPixie - Jul 27, 2008 6:30 pm (#39 of 41)

The results for the 'B' spell surprise me. I had expected Bat-Bogey Hex to come out on top (although I didn't vote for it myself!).

mona amon - Aug 1, 2008 1:00 am (#40 of 41)

no votes 2) Aguamenti: conjures a fountain or jet of clear water from the caster’s wand

Methinks we all take water too much for granted.

PeskyPixie - Aug 1, 2008 3:17 pm (#41 of 41)

How true, mona. Just the other night I was watching an ad on TV about the same thing.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down