HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Quotes by Fred & George, Books 1 - 3

Go down

Favorite Quotes by Fred & George, Books 1 - 3 Empty Favorite Quotes by Fred & George, Books 1 - 3

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:22 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15, 2011
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Favorite Quotes by Fred & George, Books 1 - 3 Empty Re: Favorite Quotes by Fred & George, Books 1 - 3

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Favorite quotes by Fred and/or George Weasley from books 1-3 (7/6/08-7/20/08)

Edited by Kip Carter Aug 13, 2008 9:52 pm

This poll is about choosing favorite quotes made by Fred and/or George Weasley IN BOOKS 1 - 3 ONLY. If you know of other good quotes by Fred and/or George from books 1 through 3 which are not on here, please list them on the Polls Suggestion thread, and I will put them in the next poll of these guys.

Please select one or two of your favorites from the choices, below.

1) “Oh, are you are a Prefect, Percy?” said one of the twins, with an air of great surprise. “You should have said something, we had no idea.”

“Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it,” said the other twin, “Once-

“Or twice-“

“A minute-“

“All summer.”

“Shut up,” said Prefect Percy. // Ch. 6, PS/SS

=====================

2) “Now, you two – this year you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you’ve- you’ve blown up a toilet, or-“

“Blown up a toilet. We’ve never blown up a toilet.”

“Great idea, though. Thanks, Mum.”………

“Don’t worry, Ginny. We’ll send you loads of owls.”

“We’ll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat.”

“George!” //Ch. 6, PS/SS

============================

3) “Merry Christmas!”

“Hey, look-- Harry’s got a Weasley jumper, too!”….

“You haven’t got a letter on yours,” George observed, “I suppose she thinks that you don’t forget your name. But we’re not stupid—we know we’re called Gred and Forge.” // Ch. 12, PS/SS

===============================

4)  “…George took an ordinary hairpin from his pocket and started to pick the lock. “A lot of wizards think this is a waste of time—knowing this sort of Muggle trick,” said Fred, “but we feel they’re skills worth learning, even if they are a bit slow.” //Ch. 3, CoS

=========================

5) “….Percy’s got a girlfriend…..You won’t tease him, will you?” she added anxiously.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” said Fred, who looked as if his birthday had come early.

“Definitely not,” said George, sniggering. //Ch. 18, CoS

====================================

6) “Harry!” said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. “Simply splendid to see you, old boy--”

“Marvelous!” said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry’s hand in turn. “Absolutely spiffing!”…. //ch. 4, PoA

7) ….”What do we want to be prefects for?” said George, looking revolted at the very idea. “It’d take all the fun out of life.”…. //ch. 4, PoA

===========================

8 ) ….”We tried to shut him in a pyramid,” he told Harry, “But Mum spotted us.” [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] PoA

9) “Where’s Wood?” said Harry, suddenly realizing he wasn't there. “Still in the showers,” said Fred, “We think he’s trying to drown himself.” // Ch. 9, PoA

azi - Jul 6, 2008 1:14 pm (#1 of 25)

Close, but I'll go for 6 and 9.

journeymom - Jul 6, 2008 1:16 pm (#2 of 25)

Ooooooh, how to choose, how to choose!

1, definitely. And I love 6 and 9. Hmmm....

1 and 6 it is.

freshwater - Jul 6, 2008 1:43 pm (#3 of 25)

It is a hard choice, isn't it? But I'll go with #2 ("We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat.") and #3 ("...we know we're Gred and Forge.")

Solitaire - Jul 6, 2008 2:10 pm (#4 of 25)

Thanks, Freshwater! I thought maybe you decided to ditch this one! I'm so excited to see it!

Okay, let me see ... I was going to say 1, 2, and 3, until I realized I only had 2 choices. Make it 2 & 3! hehe They are so quintessentially Fred-and-George!

Solitaire

Verity Weasley - Jul 6, 2008 4:45 pm (#5 of 25)

I'll have to go with 6. I love this bit from PoA and we regularly re-enact this scene at home!

mona amon - Jul 6, 2008 7:38 pm (#6 of 25)

6) Absolutely spiffing!...and

3) Gred and Forge!

freshwater - Jul 6, 2008 8:51 pm (#7 of 25)

Solitaire, are you the one who suggested this poll? If so, I'm sorry that I didn't give you credit in the first post....I had not recorded anyone as suggesting this one...it's just in my list of "favorite quotes by __________" (insert name of major character).

I have been relying heavily upon the Lexicon for the quotes polls, but must admit that some great quotes are not always listed where they should be. Anyway, it seems that we get a lot more commentary from Gred and Forge in books 4-6, so that will be another poll.

PeskyPixie - Jul 6, 2008 9:09 pm (#8 of 25)

Same as mona, 3) Gred and Forge and Absolutely spiffing!

Solitaire - Jul 6, 2008 9:33 pm (#9 of 25)

Oh, Freshwater, that's okay! ! I didn't do anything to help it along ... just suggested it. And for all I know, it was suggested before I got there. I didn't read any previous posts, although I did a search and didn't find anything. After a few days and some new polls, I thought perhaps you had checked, and there had already been a F&G poll that I didn't remember. I haven't always posted on the polls in the past, so it's possible. I'm just glad it's up!

Solitaire

geauxtigers - Jul 6, 2008 9:53 pm (#10 of 25)

3 and 6 for sure. I really love 6! LOL

Anna L. Black - Jul 7, 2008 2:54 am (#11 of 25)

Tough choice, that one! I'll go for 2 (Toilet seat) and 6 (Absolutely spiffing!). 1 (Are you a prefect?) and 3 (Gred and Forge) are close behind, though

Mrs. Sirius - Jul 7, 2008 7:47 am (#12 of 25)

Definitely 1 and 9, though 3 came very close. (drown himself and the name on the jumper show introspective and growth, without the bitterness that Ron had IMO):

1) “Oh, are you are a Prefect, Percy?” said one of the twins, with an air of great surprise.
“You should have said something, we had no idea.”
“Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it,” said the other twin,
“Once-
“Or twice-“
“A minute-“
“All summer.”

3) “Merry Christmas!”
“You haven’t got a letter on yours,” George observed,
“I suppose she thinks that you don’t forget your name.
But we’re not stupid—we know we’re called Gred and Forge.” // Ch. 12, PS/SS

=================================

9) “Where’s Wood?” said Harry, suddenly realizing he wasn't there.
“Still in the showers,” said Fred,
“We think he’s trying to drown himself.” // Ch. 9, PoA

Orion - Jul 7, 2008 7:59 am (#13 of 25)

6, Absolutely spiffing, and 8, Mum spotted us.

Choices - Jul 7, 2008 11:04 am (#14 of 25)

Let's see - I'll choose #1 and #3. Or maybe #2 and #6......hummmmm, #4 and #7 are really good too. Oh, make it #5 and #8.....and #9. OK, I think I'm done......#1 and #3.

Solitaire - Jul 7, 2008 11:58 am (#15 of 25)

LOL Choices! You had the same problem I had! I already know my favorite one from OotP though: "What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?" Actually, that could be my all-time favorite Weasley twins quote ... or maybe this one: "Now let's get upstairs and fight, or all the good Death Eaters will be taken."

I love the twins.

Solitaire

Veritaserum - Jul 7, 2008 6:52 pm (#16 of 25)

I love quote #1. I use that one all the time when I'm talking (or maybe that's just in my head). Anyway, it's my favorite.

Dryleaves - Jul 9, 2008 2:04 am (#17 of 25)

This is a difficult one. I think 3 (Gred and Forge) and 6 (Absolutely spiffing!) But I also like 9... Well, 3 and 6 it is!

Potteraholic - Jul 10, 2008 5:17 am (#18 of 25)

6) "...spiffing..."

3) Gred and Forge

wynnleaf - Jul 10, 2008 12:36 pm (#19 of 25)

I see no one has chosen my favorite, 4. I love that line.

And 9 is great, too.

Of course, they're all good.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jul 10, 2008 7:30 pm (#20 of 25)

5 and 7.

5) “….Percy’s got a girlfriend…..You won’t tease him, will you?” she added anxiously.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” said Fred, who looked as if his birthday had come early.

7) ….”What do we want to be prefects for?” said George, looking revolted at the very idea. “It’d take all the fun out of life.”…. //ch. 4, PoA

PatPat - Jul 11, 2008 10:08 am (#21 of 25)

Tough, but I have to go with 1 and 9.

Madam Pince - Jul 12, 2008 8:29 am (#22 of 25)

Fiddlesticks. I like 1, 5, and 9. But we have to pick two, so I suppose... 1 and... oh... I guess I'll have to go with 5, for the element of "knowing what's coming without it having to actually be shown." 1 for the element of how perfectly the two of them fit together, to the point of being able to construct each others' sentences. (9 is just plain old funny. "Spiffing" is too, but not as funny as "drown himself" to me anyway...)

So yes, 1 and 5, final answer.

1) “Oh, are you are a Prefect, Percy?” said one of the twins, with an air of great surprise. “You should have said something, we had no idea.”

“Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it,” said the other twin, “Once-

“Or twice-“

“A minute-“

“All summer.”

9) “Where’s Wood?” said Harry, suddenly realizing he wasn't there. “Still in the showers,” said Fred, “We think he’s trying to drown himself.” // Ch. 9, PoA

Mrs Brisbee - Jul 14, 2008 8:54 am (#23 of 25)

I love 3) Gred and Forge.

Julia H. - Jul 19, 2008 2:17 pm (#24 of 25)

3) Gred and Forge

9) Wood

freshwater - Jul 23, 2008 9:41 am (#25 of 25)

Sorry about the lateness of this summary....but the truth is "it's summer time and the livin' is easy" (from some song I no longer remember the title of) and I just lost track.

13.55 of the vote, #1: “Oh, are you are a Prefect, Percy?” said one of the twins, with an air of great surprise. “You should have said something, we had no idea.”

“Or twice-“

“A minute-“

“All summer.”

=====================

8% of the vote, #2: “Now, you two – this year you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you’ve- you’ve blown up a toilet, or-“

“Blown up a toilet. We’ve never blown up a toilet.”

“Great idea, though. Thanks, Mum.”………

“Don’t worry, Ginny. We’ll send you loads of owls.”

“We’ll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat.”

“George!” //Ch. 6, PS/SS

24.3% of the vote, #3:  “Merry Christmas!”

“You haven’t got a letter on yours,” George observed, “I suppose she thinks that you don’t forget your name. But we’re not stupid—we know we’re called Gred and Forge.” // Ch. 12, PS/SS

2.7% of the vote,  #4:  “…George took an ordinary hairpin from his pocket and started to pick the lock. “A lot of wizards think this is a waste of time—knowing this sort of Muggle trick,” said Fred, “but we feel they’re skills worth learning, even if they are a bit slow.” //Ch. 3, CoS

=========================

5.4% of the votes, #5: “….Percy’s got a girlfriend…..You won’t tease him, will you?” she added anxiously.

24.3% of the vote, #6: “Harry!” said Fred, elbowing Percy out of the way and bowing deeply. “Simply splendid to see you, old boy--”

“Marvelous!” said George, pushing Fred aside and seizing Harry’s hand in turn. “Absolutely spiffing!”…. //ch. 4, PoA

2.7% of the vote,  #7: ….”What do we want to be prefects for?” said George, looking revolted at the very idea. “It’d take all the fun out of life.”…. //ch. 4, PoA

===========================

2.7% of the vote,  #8: ….”We tried to shut him in a pyramid,” he told Harry, “But Mum spotted us.” [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] PoA

16.2% of the vote,  #9:[ “Where’s Wood?” said Harry, suddenly realizing he wasn't there. “Still in the showers,” said Fred, “We think he’s trying to drown himself.” // Ch. 9, PoA

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To summarize, the favorite Fred and/or George quotes from this list are:

tied for first place with 24.3% of the vote #3 "...Gred and Forge" and #6 "...simply spiffing"

with 16.2% of the vote #9, Wood trying to drown himself

with 13.5% of the vote #1, a classic example of Weasley twin-speak

and, with 8% of the vote #2, "We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat."
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down