How It All Began

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How It All Began

Post  Denise P. on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:20 pm

These posts are copied from the World Crossing Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, started October 1, 2002 by Lexicon Steve

I changed the title of this thread from "History of the Forum" to "How It All Began" and put it inside the History of the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum folder. Made sense to me. ~shepherdess
Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Re: How It All Began

Post  Denise P. on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Kip Carter - Mar 10, 2003 8:13 pm
co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!
Edited by Mar 12, 2003 8:05 am

The Harry Potter Lexicon Forum was created at 7:39 pm PST (GMT-8)Tuesday 1 October 2002 and opened to the members at 8:07 am Wednesday 2 October 2002 (six months and 8 days ago). You can read some of the first posts in the thread new forum (posts when this Forum began). You will notice that there was a short-lived forum on the Bravenet board from the first posted message (by Denise P) to Steve's opening thread. Currently the oldest surviving thread in the General Discussion area is Will Harry Potter fall in love? begun by Prefect Marcus on 9 October 2002.

I made an error. Currently the oldest surviving thread in the General Discussion area is Neville will become EVIL! begun by Jill G. on 3 October 2002. Prefect Marcus's thread mentioned is actually the sixth oldest. - Kip

The Harry Potter Lexicon FanFiction Forum was created at 6:55 am PST (GMT-Cool Tuesday 7 January 2003 and opened to the members at 4:55 pm PST Saturday 11 January 2003. During the period from creation to the opening, some of the four existing FanFiction that had begun on the Lexicon Forum were transferred to the new FanFic Forum.

I can verify the dates and times on the two Forums; however Steve will need to provide the information on the Harry Potter Lexicon. I know it has been around at least since August 2000 because I have notes from some of my old web pages providing a link to the Lexicon. It probably was around before then, but I can not verify because the two computers that cover my web pages between Ocober 1992 and August 2000 are presently computers down and the third has been changed to a Unix server. The appearance and the magnitude of the Lexicon has greatly changed since my original hunt for Harry Potter.

Kip

Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Lexicon Steve - Oct 2, 2002 8:07 am
Edited by Kip Carter Jun 28, 2003 6:32 am

Well, here we go. Let's give this one a try. It doesn't throw pop-up windows at us, which is nice. Comments?

Denise P. - Oct 2, 2002 9:26 am (#1 of 19)
Ravenclaw Pony

Thanks for setting this up Steve, I think it will be much easier to follow than the Bravenet board.

Sigrid Ardelt - Oct 2, 2002 12:47 pm (#2 of 19)

Thank's for the new Forum Steve. No more windows!!Brilliant!! Just wait until people got used to the new one.

jackie vitale - Oct 2, 2002 2:12 pm (#3 of 19)

Steve~ I'm such a fan of your website. I spend so much time here, maybe too much! I'm alittle confused. Will u be closing down hte other forum?

Lexicon Steve - Oct 2, 2002 4:40 pm (#4 of 19)

Yes, I'll be closing the other forum. I would do it now, but I have a meeting to get to. I'm going to stick with this one. I know that Josh doesn't care for it, but aside from that the feedback has been positive. Josh, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I can't see having two forums going.

Steve

BKred - Oct 2, 2002 8:52 pm (#5 of 19)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here know anyone else IRL (In Real Life)?

Barbara Kaysen - Oct 3, 2002 8:28 am (#6 of 19)

I do like the new forum - it's much easier to follow a thread - but I think the black background makes it difficult to read. Any chances of changing it to white background with contrasting colored words?

Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:21 pm

lavender brown - Oct 2, 2002 10:08 am (#7 of 19)

cheers steve - i think i've got it figured. i'm not too sure about this set up - you can't flick through all the messagesd by pressing next again and again - but maybe it'll grow on me! by the way, i think this is such a good idea - i love talking about hp and co!

Kytti - Oct 2, 2002 5:25 pm (#8 of 19)

No kidding! Go Steve! It's neat to talk about HP with other fans! Thanks!

Norbert - Oct 3, 2002 11:07 am (#9 of 19)

I like this forum very much and find it easier to use than the first one. I also checked out the forum on the official hp page that Warner Bros. set up. The people in there do not have near the intelligent debates and discussions that I see hear. I glad I found this page!

Mandy !Noble - Oct 3, 2002 1:46 pm (#10 of 19)

Most people on the Warner site are children no older then twelve. But at least they are smart enough to like Harry Potter. Oh, Hi. I'm Mandy!

Joa Pendragen - Oct 4, 2002 3:14 pm (#11 of 19)
Guest User

On the Warner Brother site you can barly follow what the peaple are saying, with all the extra junk they put in. This one's relly nice.

Denise P. - Oct 4, 2002 4:28 pm (#12 of 19)
Ravenclaw Pony

I read a few boards on AOL that are just filled with He iz da bomb, who is hotter, I luv him and other ...well....juvenile type postings. I much prefer to read things that actually discuss the meaning of things and probe into possible deeper meanings of the books. It is nice to read posts made that are NoT WrItTeN bY idiots who can't spell. U no whut I mean? UGH!!

Thank you, thank you Steve!!

Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Melissa Love - Oct 4, 2002 9:00 pm (#13 of 19)

I really like this forum!!! All the other ones are about stupid stuff such as who is cuter, etc and crazy suggestions that aren't worth reading. This seems to be frequented by mostly adults!! It's great to read deep discussions on the books. Keep up the good work!!

Joa Pendragen - Oct 5, 2002 4:05 am (#14 of 19)

I think this one's nicer. It dos'nt take as long to find the discussion your looking for, and it don't have all those annoying REs.

BKred - Oct 5, 2002 9:16 am (#15 of 19)

Right, and if you like that style you can click the "expand all" link and it should look the way it used to. As for smilies, apparently there are some, I just don't know how to get there.

Denise P. - Oct 5, 2002 10:09 am (#16 of 19)
Ravenclaw Pony
Edited by Oct 5, 2002 11:10 am

I go here: http://www.abestweb.com/smilies/ and then just cut and paste the HTML to get the smilie faces here.

BKred - Oct 5, 2002 10:23 am (#17 of 19)

Ah, neat...

Ian Haynes - Oct 6, 2002 12:52 pm (#18 of 19)

I am finding this forum really difficult to use.

Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:24 pm

Kip Carter - Nov 13, 2002 5:30 am (#19 of 19)
co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!

This thread is a combination of three threads, all titled "new forum." The posts are a little out of sequence and some were deleted or edited; however this thread shows the inception of this Forum.

There is some good information in some of the posts; however the reason that I have made this a permanent thread is for historical value. And it shows how this Forum was received by the members. Enjoy the read!

Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top