JK Rowling Official Site Vol. 2 (9 Nov 2004 - 14 Jul 2005)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2451 to 2500 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Lina - May 16, 2005 2:42 pm (#2451 of 2930)

Oh, thank You so much for the answer, Jo! Finally

BTW, I think the number of posts after the previous update and the number of posts after the pool answer show how much this answer means to us.

And I like the answer. I always assumed that if LV succeeded to kill one boy, he would try to kill the other one as well. Since the curse rebounded, he never had the opportunity to attack Neville. She didn't say that but the point is that nobody will ever know what would have happened if he went to the Longbottoms first. And it is exactly what happens all the time in the real life, once you make your choice, you can't do the rewind thing to see if it was the right one.

Oh, and thank you again Jo, for not saying "You will have to wait for the HBP"!

T Brightwater - May 16, 2005 3:10 pm (#2452 of 2930)

The prophecy didn't make Harry the "one with power to vanquish the Dark Lord," it was Voldemort choosing to believe the prophecy and choosing to try to prevent it. If Voldything had simply laughed the whole thing off, he might never have lost his powers.

This makes me wonder if Harry, by his choices and the "power that the Dark Lord knows not," will break the prophecy and find a way to redeem Voldemort, or at least render him harmless without killing him.

Solitaire - May 16, 2005 3:54 pm (#2453 of 2930)

I wonder if Voldemort won't wind up vanquishing himself an attempt, once again, to kill Harry. I hope so ... although I doubt it will work out as neatly as that.

BTW, Pottermom, I've always thought the same thing ... about Harry being born as the seventh month dies. It would be interesting to know what time of day he was born.

Solitaire

Ydnam96 - May 16, 2005 8:41 pm (#2454 of 2930)

I too am curious about the "king" wording...hmmmmmm....but YAY for something new to think about for a while!

Tomoé - May 16, 2005 9:47 pm (#2455 of 2930)

JKR, thank you so much for the answer of the question pool!!!

For the ones who said we didn't learn much, I disagree. We learn the power Harry get that no one else have, the power to vanquish the dark lord is linked to the scar and its ability to peek in Voldemort's mind. I mean that's something. We also get confirmed that Lily's death is indeed what saved Harry and not the prophecy itself, like people have stated from time to time.

Johninboro -> This is strange, I was on jkrowling.co.uk site at 23:59 tonight (UK Time) when the mobile phone started to ring, so I clicked on the green answer button and a voice said hello. So I said hello back through my mic and the voice replied, "hi, how are you tonight" I said fine thanks, who are you? then the site froze and i had to reboot.

Thanks for the setting tip, I didn't know my mic was off. Your second answer was probably too long, next time try "fine" alone. If anyone gets any further, I suggest to keep it to one word answers. I tried three times already, but I'm afraid I don't get the accent correctly. But we are definitly on something here.

Kerrie-Louise - May 16, 2005 11:46 pm (#2456 of 2930)

Breaths a sigh of relief* Thanks Jo. I'm pleased that the answer was so simple really. I quite like Nevelle being "normal" (well as normal as a wizard is!)his innocence is refreshing in a series which brings an ever increasing amount of darkness into the story.

Susan Bones - May 16, 2005 11:48 pm (#2457 of 2930)

I also thought the use of the word "King" was interesting. If Neville was "the boy who was so nearly King", then Harry, as the "chosen one" IS the "King", I guess, right? Is that significant?

Fawkes Forever - May 17, 2005 3:06 am (#2458 of 2930)

Hmmm, I get the feeling that Jo is either giving us a little clue, or else completely toying with us... in a good way that is!

The boy who was so nearly king? Is it just me or is, 'The boy/man who could/would be king', a saying? As in, close but just not close enough. It's either an expression or a quote somewhere in the depths of my mind.

It reminds me of Shakespeares Richard III. Where there was a prophecy made about a certain character (Richmond I think) becoming King. Richard III, tries to prevent this, but by doing sets in place a sequence of events that culminates in him getting killed by Richmond, who then becomes king anyways. Forgive me, my Shakespeare is a little rusty... is Julia out there? I'm sure she could shed some light on this.

That said, maybe it's just my mad ramblings... but if it is just an expression, Jo has used it well. But it's the way that it is worded that had got everyone thinking. Roll on the 16th July...

Magical Max - May 17, 2005 4:16 am (#2459 of 2930)

Neville's reaction to hearing about the prophecy would be interesting - if Harry decides to tell him. I think Neville would be gobsmacked at the idea that HE nearly was the one chosen to go head-to-head with VM and relieved to hear that he isn't.

As Harry would point out, fame and fortune aren't what they are cracked up to be and being "the Boy Who Lived" means being under constant threat of attack from VM and his goon squad and to top it off - at the end of it you have a final showdown where only one walks out alive. As far as Harry is concerned - if that's fame - you can stuff it !

Kerrie-Louise - May 17, 2005 4:27 am (#2460 of 2930)

On the other hand we may end up with another situation like that between Ron and Harry. In GOF when Ron was jealous of Harry for getting his name in the cup. Maybe Nevelle would see this as just one more thing he has failed at doing as well as someone else. Maybe he'd have liked the chance to avenge his parents and this wish on Nevelle part could embitter Harry!

Betelgeuse Black - May 17, 2005 7:00 am (#2461 of 2930)

I'll keep this short.

I think the context of using "king" with the Neville answer is the biggest clue. This means that Harry is "King" but not in a "bloodline" or literal manner. I think this adds weight to the argument that the HBP is not a literal "prince" but a princely Half-Blood.

Betelgeuse

constant vigilance - May 17, 2005 7:09 am (#2462 of 2930)

Thank you, Jo for answering the question! I was just saying two days ago that maybe she wasn't answering because it was too important. Either way, I'm happy.

I thought the "King" was simple way of expressing Harry's notoriety in the Wizarding word, but I do think its interesting given the title of this book. I'm curious how Neville would respond to the prophecy. I imagine he would not be jealous because that's just out of character for him. I think of Neville feeling more relieved that it wasn't him, and possibly feeling guilty that it was Harry who has suffered and not him. Neville has as large of a heart as Harry. He would have endured the crucio to save the prophecy; just as Harry would have endured the crucio to protect Neville.

Grant the Great - May 17, 2005 8:10 am (#2463 of 2930)

I think that Neville would be jealous. He finally sees the potential he had: to become the boy who lived and be the one whom everyone likes (overlooking all the times they didn't) and one who had extra magical talent. Yeah, he would be incredibly disturbed.

Ydnam96 - May 17, 2005 8:20 am (#2464 of 2930)

I'm not sure Neville would be jealous, he doesn't like the spotlight. He would probably be more relieved than anything. But that is just my opinion.

Snuffles - May 17, 2005 8:36 am (#2465 of 2930)

I agree Ydam96.

Neville has heard, even if he hasn't seen everything that Harry has had to go through while he has been at Hogwarts, and I'm sure he would be relieved that it wasn't him.

He isn't as tough as Harry and I don't think he could have coped with all the pressure put upon him. Just my opinion.

So Sirius - May 17, 2005 9:13 am (#2466 of 2930)

I agree. Neville wouldn't be jealous, it's totally out of character for him. I also think he'd be upset Harry's had to endure all this and Neville might feel it's time to step up to his "almost-ran" rightful place and help out in a bigger way, as he did in the MOM that day. Sure, he might have a moment of reflection about what might have been, but knowing what he's capable of, he'll realize that he really got out of things in a better position. His parents might be unaware of him, but he's still able to spend time with them. His family might not think he's of the same caliber as Harry, but he has still been able to step up to the plate and will step up, hopefully not to his detriment, in the last 2 books.

Helen Potterfan - May 17, 2005 9:33 am (#2467 of 2930)

Fawkes, "The Man Who Would Be King" is a story by Kipling. You can read an online version here . There was a film based on the story in the 70s starring Sean Connery. It has also become a saying. It may also have been in Richard III, but I'm not sure. I have some theories/comments, but want to re-read the story again before I say anything. Helen

Round Pink Spider - May 17, 2005 10:55 am (#2468 of 2930)

I think the context of using "king" with the Neville answer is the biggest clue. This means that Harry is "King" but not in a "bloodline" or literal manner. I think this adds weight to the argument that the HBP is not a literal "prince" but a princely Half-Blood.

Betelgeuse, you're overlooking the possibility that Harry and Neville are related (at least distantly). James could have had cousins, after all. "The pure-blood families are all related." The only reason we think that Harry has no living relatives is because Harry thought that once, a long time ago, in SS/PS, before he even knew about the Wizarding World. But now we know that DD put him with the Dursleys only to keep him alive. There has never been any authoritative statement that Harry has no living relatives.

I can conceive of no reason why JKR would drop such an incredibly loaded word as King -- and she capitalized it, too, notice, that implies it's a literal title -- only to come back later and say "Oh, I didn't really mean it, I was just using it metaphorically." Don't run from it, guys. She means it literally. :-)

The real question is, "If there is a real King, why haven't we heard about it before?" Possibilities:

1. The royal line was nearly killed off some time in the past, and the one survivor went into hiding (perhaps protected by the Order of the Phoenix, which could have taken its name from the idea of restoring what was destroyed) until it was time for the royal line to be restored, indicated by the "marking" by a deadly enemy. (An example of a royal line in hiding would be David Eddings' The Belgariad stories.)

2. The main royal line was killed off, and the one(s) left in charge (the Ministers of Magic?) didn't really want to give up their new-found power, so they didn't bother to look to see if any other branch of the family still existed (The Lord of the Rings would be an example here).

I'm sure there are other possibilities, too.

Miriam Huber - May 17, 2005 11:30 am (#2469 of 2930)

Sorry, but I don´t buy the theory of the king being important.

I rather think she made an allusion 1) to Macbeth: look at Solitaires superb posting in "The Big Secret in the Chamber of Secrets"; 2) to being "King" like "Weasley is our King" -- or to both.

(If she wasn´t just using a common expression; for example, in very colloquial German we say : "Ich bin der King!" -- "I am the King", even using the English word, and meaning: I´m great, I´m best...)

In my opinion, it would probably have made sense as a clue if she had said "prince", but "king" just implies that the "prince" we are searching for had to be Neville´s son. Otherwise the use of the word "king", literally or not, blood or not, can´t refer to the HBP. (Even if you don´t use a word literally, it has to keep some of it´s usual meaning, otherwise it is just meaningless.)

Eponine - May 17, 2005 11:40 am (#2470 of 2930)

It's my opinion that she's just messing with our minds using the word 'king' in relation to the prophecy.

So Sirius - May 17, 2005 11:41 am (#2471 of 2930)

I read it, or see it differently. The boy who might have been King to me says that Harry is the King. Not literally, as in royalty, but in the sense of being the chosen one, the one who is and will be adorned for his achievements. The one marked by Voldemort, thus becoming what the prophecy states. (Like in Macbeth) At the same time, I think he's so unhappy with this, he might hand this task to Neville, thinking that Neville should have his rightful go at this sad fate. Realizing that Neville is not up to it, and that willingly or not, he's the chosen one, he'll do what he must.

I think she used the word to give us a clue though. Perhaps Neville will, in becoming what nobody expected him to become, will achieve something that heralds him the HBP. Or not.

T Brightwater - May 17, 2005 12:01 pm (#2472 of 2930)

I think it was a figure of speech, and she'll probably regret having used the word!

Gina R Snape - May 17, 2005 12:04 pm (#2473 of 2930)

I agree with those who think it's just a figure of speech. But she did tell us some things to ponder about regarding Harry's outlook in HbP which I find interesting.

Kwikspell - May 17, 2005 2:11 pm (#2474 of 2930)

I think it was just a figure of speech. Right now she's probably packing her family's bags and booking a flight to Bolivia (ala Mark Evans). I'm still curious to know why, if Harry was the center of the prophecy, did Voldemort have to kill James? Hmm... Maybe this is a post for the Prophecy thread.

Madame Pomfrey - May 17, 2005 2:26 pm (#2475 of 2930)

Oh Jo..You are not uniting the houses with using the word "king". I do think it is a clue.Harry is the chosen one,the one with the powers to vanquish the Dark Lord.He would be their(half bloods,mudbloods,etc..) "king" if he succeeds. Just like Ron Weasley was Gryffindor's king by winning the house cup. And... Dumbledore will be their "prince" -having coached and protected Harry so that the prophecy could be carried out.*winks*.Does this make since?

mischa fan - May 17, 2005 3:39 pm (#2476 of 2930)

I don't think Neville would be jealous of Harry if he finds out that Voldemort could have come after him, as he could have easily become the boy who died as the boy who lived. I also think that having parents in the state that Neville's are is very hard, but I think he would rather have his parents alive with a chance, as slight as in may seem to be, to recover then to have lost his parents forever.

riotgrrrl - May 17, 2005 5:35 pm (#2477 of 2930)

I'll bet Jo's having a great time reading all of the theories one word can cause on a fansite, I know I am.

Julia. - May 17, 2005 8:47 pm (#2478 of 2930)

Fawkes, I'm here! Sorry it took so long, but you know, life. You've really opened up a pandora's box here. If there are two things I can talk about, they're Harry Potter and Shakespeare.

Fortuinatly, Richard III was the last play we read in Shakespeare this semester. Prophecy actually turns up quite a bit in this play, and through out Shakespeare's history plays. In Act 1 Scene 1 we learn from Richard that there was a prophecy saying that someone called "G" would murder King Edward IV's children. The king finds out about this and locks his brother George, Duke of Clarence in the Tower. As it turns out, Edward and George had a younger brother, Richard Duke of Gloucester, the star of our show. It turns out that Richard murders the King's children, but this prophecy was what sent Clarence to the Tower, where Richard had him murdered as well. Queen Margaret of Anjou is also big on prophecy. Well, actually she curses more than prophsizes. (Queen Margaret was King Henry VI's wife. She was quite a capable queen, running the country when her husband was in his periods of insanity.) In Act 1 Scene 3 we see her cursing up a storm on her enemies. As it turns out, every curse that she lays on her enemies comes true, and they all die thinking about how Margaret cursed them. Act 5 Scene 3 takes place the night before the battle between Richmond's follower's and Richard's. All the ghosts of Richard's victoms come to both of them in their sleep. They all with Richard death and Richmond long life and victory. Sure enoughh, that is exactly what happens in the next scene.

Well, that was probally more than you ever needed to know about Richard III. Hope it answered your question Fawkes. If it didn't, you are of course free to email me, my address is in my profile. And now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

MickeyCee3948 - May 17, 2005 9:23 pm (#2479 of 2930)

I have withheld comment on JKR's answer to the Neville question to hear what some of you had to say and to formulate my thoughts.

I believe that JKR gave us 3 major points to consider.

First, she said that this was the question she wanted to answer most and I also believe that she took the longest time to answer it to phrase her response in a very precise manner.

Second, she said that Voldemort in selecting Harry had anointed him as the chosen one. This using JKR's line of reasoning would make Harry the "King" of the Half Bloods so to speak. Insinuating that Voldemort thought that another half blood would be a greater threat to him.

Thirdly, Neville by being the unchosen child is not ruled out as the HBP by JKR's comments that nearly all wizard families have a less than pure blood line. Her "so nearly king" phase also works in very well here. Neville while one of the two wizards born as the seventh month ended was not chosen to lead the half bloods over Voldemort but will play a major part in his demise along with Harry.

I therefore believe that JKR has just told us that Neville is the HBP. It would follow considering that in OotP he made greater strides in his wizard training than any of the other students.

Well I will run for cover now so that you may all shoot my theory down.

Mikie

frogface - May 18, 2005 1:43 am (#2480 of 2930)

I think its a good theory, so I'm not going to shoot it down. What I will say however is that at this stage we've all become aware that what JKR says could mean anything. It could be a clue, a red-herring or simply just a phrase. We've got under 2 months left until HBP and I'd prefer to keep a completely open mind on these matters at this late stage.

Johninboro - May 18, 2005 5:41 am (#2481 of 2930)

I wonder if the person who dies in HBP actually dies saving Neville from an attack from Voldermort. This would could also herald him being anointed as another chosen one.

Betelgeuse Black - May 18, 2005 5:51 am (#2482 of 2930)

Mickie,

You are thinking along the same lines as I am. Others are not. I guess that's what makes this forum fun!

Betelgeuse

So Sirius - May 18, 2005 7:00 am (#2483 of 2930)

Mickie, Not to worry. When I did my Draco is the HBP theory, I got shot down, "he can't be, he's not a half blood" but now, look at the situation. You never know. Of course, now I'm rethinking my theory and it's on the same track as yours. But most of all, this forum is about discussion. So, don't worry.

S.E. Jones - May 18, 2005 8:09 am (#2484 of 2930)

I think that, if we are going to discuss how Neville will react to hearing the prophecy, what she meant by the word 'King' and how that relates to the HBP, and what this all means for Harry's outlook in the coming book, we should move those discussions to the proper threads (Neville Longbottom, the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter, respectively).

Molly Fox - May 18, 2005 4:13 pm (#2485 of 2930)

Did anyone else see the update on the Rumors page?

The Rumor: Luna is Snape's daughter.

Her Response: This is a most tantalizing idea, but no, Mr. Lovegood, the editor of the 'Quibbler', really is Luna's Father and Snape does not have a daughter.

My question: Why didn't she just say he doesn't have any children? Why only say he doesn't have a daughter?

riotgrrrl - May 18, 2005 7:31 pm (#2486 of 2930)

Exactly, Molly. That's what I thought, but the update has been there for a few days at least.

Ladybug220 - May 19, 2005 6:25 am (#2487 of 2930)
Edited by May 19, 2005 6:25 am

Molly, I think she phrased it that way to send us fans into a tizzy and dissect it to figure out if he has a son.

skh - May 19, 2005 8:48 am (#2488 of 2930)

Am in two minds over the use of the word "King". On the one hand, it's unlike JKR to use a word lightly, on the other hand - this does smack of just an idiom. Have to go with the latter option on this one, I think (which means that the former is probably right!).

Isn't it amazing how such a small word can cause such discussion and how - with the smallest update of a rumour - all our thoughts change?! (Thinking of the Ron is DD rumours and the scotching thereof!)

Very interesting what she says about Harry and Neville in the next book, hmm...

Steve Newton - May 19, 2005 8:58 am (#2489 of 2930)

I might buy it being an an idiom if it wasn't capitalized. Capitalization makes it a title, to me.

skh - May 19, 2005 9:05 am (#2490 of 2930)

This is true, Steve, it is treating it as a proper noun (of, my grammar is so rusty!), so it's much more the King than just a king....

The King - hmm... Neville as Elvis? hehe, need to go home now!

I suppose I have to say that the capitization does mean that it was intnetionally used... next question, was that just JKR's "divilment" (as they say in Ireland) knowing that we'd seize on the word? Probably not - not saying that she might've guessed usch an outcome and thought that would be a dun by product! - I guess it must mean something.

Accio Sirius - May 19, 2005 11:26 am (#2491 of 2930)

Can't we just ask Gina if Snape has a son? Wink

So Sirius - May 19, 2005 11:54 am (#2492 of 2930)

I also find her use of words interesting. She could easily of said, children, but chose to say daughter. It's curious. I can't imagine Snape having a son, some form of a Snape Jr. walking around out there, nor can I see what purpose it would bring to the story, unless he's the HBP. But, I can't find that likely right now.

Gina R Snape - May 19, 2005 12:41 pm (#2493 of 2930)

I too see no point in having a Severus Jr. roaming about. But then, who knows what JKR has up her sleeve!

And, no, you can't ask me. I have no children, but that doesn't mean there wasn't another woman in his life at one time!

LooneyLuna - May 19, 2005 1:23 pm (#2494 of 2930)

Snape, Jr? Hmmmm...interesting. Didn't JKR say that some of the staff are secretly married and we'd find out why that is important?

Gina R Snape - May 19, 2005 2:46 pm (#2495 of 2930)

Why yes, she did. And on her website, I believe.

Choices - May 19, 2005 5:58 pm (#2496 of 2930)

OK, here's something to give you a chuckle. What if (and this is far out!!) Draco is really Snape's son? I have always thought that Snape and Malfoy have some connection, perhaps in a family way. Snape gave Draco to his relative (Malfoy) to raise because of his dangerous job. Perhaps his wife was killed and Snape feared for Draco's safety. Snape's hair is really blond, but he dyes it black to avoid comparisons between he and Draco and the dye dries it out, so he uses some sort of hair "grease" to condition it - thus the greasy look. OK, when you finish laughing, you can throw those dungbombs....I'm ready. It's just what popped into my mind when I saw the post about Snape not having a daughter. I know, it's weird, but it would explain some things. LOL

GryffEndora - May 19, 2005 6:07 pm (#2497 of 2930)

Choices, wouldn't Snape have to have been dying his hair since he started attending Hogwarts for your theory to work since MWPP all commented on his greasy hair? Couldn't Draco's hair color simply come from his mother rather than his father, if Snape is his father. Stranger things have happened.

Choices - May 19, 2005 6:25 pm (#2498 of 2930)

LOL I knew there was a problem with this theory besides it just being ludicrous! LOL

OK, I suppose Draco's hair color could come from his mother, Mrs. Snape. What if she were Malfoy's sister? Maybe that is how Snape is connected to the Malfoy family and why he chose them to raise his son? That still doesn't explain Snape's greasy hair, but I guess you can't have everything. {{Desperately tries to save this theory from sinking... all the while wondering if it's worth it.}} LOL

Seven - May 19, 2005 6:38 pm (#2499 of 2930)

Hey guys Smile

First post ever (but i've been reading as a guest now for quite a while!).

What if...

Snape was married, but to a half-blood/muggle lass, had a son. then Voldemort killed Mrs Snape/son/both because of the whole 'unworthy DNA' thing and that is why Snape went back to Dumbledore...

...I think it makes more sense that if Snape did have a son, he would now be deceased. Or else Jo would of given us subtle clues in at least the last two books to whom he may be. We're running out of suspiscious characters that would fit the description.

Wow, this is completely off topic for the thread. I apologise Smile

Regan of Gong - May 20, 2005 12:50 am (#2500 of 2930)

Draco's blond hair could be caused by a recessant gene, if he is the secret son of Severus. I learnt about them in a Science competition yesterday, e.g In the Snape family, the gene for black hair is the DOMINANT gene, which overpowers the RECESSIVE gene for blond hair, but every once in a while the recessive gene overpowers the dominant gene, such as it could be in Draco's case. Can anyone verify whether this is correct?

This could alaso explain why Snape favours Draco so much, besides him being in Slytherin. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed how Snape seems to favour Draco even over other Slytherins

Waiting to be proved wrong, Regan
Edit: Woooooooooo, 2500th post
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2501 to 2550 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Mare - May 20, 2005 1:55 am (#2501 of 2930)

Obviously, if Snape has a secret son, it's Blaise Zabini...

And he needs to favour Drao, because it's a perfect way to find out what Lucius is up to! "My father said", "my father thinks..."

Lina - May 20, 2005 3:17 am (#2502 of 2930)

Choices, your theory about Draco's mother being Malfoy's sister sounds very interesting to me, especially if combined with a chapter title "Draco's detour" - he might find out about it in this chapter and turn out to be a HBP. Well, I know that this would be too much, but it sounds interesting...

Catherine - May 20, 2005 4:46 am (#2503 of 2930)

JKR has mentioned more than once that Draco has a "pale, pointed face" like Lucius does. Make of that what you will.

Cornelia - May 20, 2005 6:24 am (#2504 of 2930)

Wasn´t there a stringy Slytherin boy described in OotP? Wasn´t Snape described in the same way somewhere else?

frogface - May 20, 2005 6:26 am (#2505 of 2930)

The stringy Slytherin boy was Theodore Nott (this has been confirmed by JKR) as far was know his father is one of the death eaters who was put in Azkaban after the DoM battle. He is said to be an elderly man.

Grindylow - May 20, 2005 7:02 am (#2506 of 2930)

Doesn't Snape have a "pale, pointed face" too? :::::::wishful thinking:::::::::::

applepie - May 20, 2005 7:30 am (#2507 of 2930)

Snape knows Lucius is a DE, which I think is why he is the way he is with both Harry and Draco. I do think Snape's personality is one of those valuable "lessons of life" (after you've been made to withstand it.) I think, more importantly, that if Snape were to be more civil to Harry and less agreeable with Draco, Draco would definitely run to "Daddy" to report the behavior, and Snape's cover would be blown to bits. I do sense some tragedy in Snape's life that led him to his current personality, and am eager to find out what it was exactly.

Choices - May 20, 2005 8:51 am (#2508 of 2930)

Catherine, If.....(big IF) Snape was married to Lucius Malfoy's sister, Draco's pale, pointed face could come from her - she and Lucius might have these facial features in common. Thus, Draco looks like his Uncle Lucius more than he looks like his (supposed) father Snape. Perhaps Snape's wife was killed when Draco was small and Snape asked his brother-in-law Lucius to take Draco and raise him as his own because Snape was going to turn spy for Dumbledore and knew his life, and that of his son, would be in grave danger if his defection from Voldemort was discovered. Draco was never told who his real father is - he thinks he is a Malfoy and acts accordingly. It's just a wild theory that could possibly work. There is really nothing (that I know of) in canon to either prove or disprove it. If someone knows of something, then blow it out of the water.

Thora - May 20, 2005 9:01 am (#2509 of 2930)

Sounds like a start for a theory thread at least.

Thora

Choices - May 20, 2005 9:14 am (#2510 of 2930)

.....And it probably all should be shifted over to the Snape thread.

riotgrrrl - May 20, 2005 9:21 am (#2511 of 2930)

Regan of Gong- about the genes, the dominant genes aren't necessarily taken over by the recessive genes, but if Snape were to carry a blond gene (one black one blond, only the black is expressed because it is dominant) and his (wife) had blonde hair (two blond genes to pass along) they would have had a 50% chance of having a blond child and the same for a black-haired child. They each pass along a gene, hers always blond and his either. Maybe Narcissa never got over the fact she has to raise Draco as her own and that adds to the look on her face (as if something disgusting were under her nose). I personally think he is Draco's son, but the theories are truly plausible.

frogface - May 20, 2005 9:26 am (#2512 of 2930)

Draco's son? Razz

But anyway Choices is right, we should move all this over to the Snape or Draco thread.

riotgrrrl - May 20, 2005 12:45 pm (#2513 of 2930)

Oooops, I meant Lucius. Sorry. I'm a little excited, I get my new dog today.

Regan of Gong - May 20, 2005 3:55 pm (#2514 of 2930)

Thanks, riotgrrrl

Netherlandic - May 21, 2005 3:52 am (#2515 of 2930)

I think you are absolutely right, Marè.

Blast - May 21, 2005 8:41 am (#2516 of 2930)

Snape does not have a great family life growing up. In an enviroment like he had, I think that he would be very reluctant to love anybody enough to procreate, not that he couldn't love but the fact that he probably fears of the same situation of his parents. Snape maybe in the future will be able to have a wife and kiddies but he will have to learn to let go of all that bitterness that he has.

haymoni - May 21, 2005 4:54 pm (#2517 of 2930)

Love is not necessarily a requirement for procreation.

I will stop as this is a family-friendly forum.

Choices - May 21, 2005 5:35 pm (#2518 of 2930)

Over the years I have known quite a few people who had a very bad family life and married young in order to get out of the family home. Who's to say Snape didn't do that? I am not speculating on what sort of marriage he might have had as there is nothing in canon to go on, but we have speculated that possibly the death or killing of his wife (if he had one) may be what got him to wake up and realize he had to get away from being a DE and away from Voldemort. Perhaps if he was married, he did love her and her loss has added to his "attitude" problem and caused him to take on a risky assignment for Dumbledore.

Netherlandic - May 22, 2005 5:24 am (#2519 of 2930)

As Snape is a potions maker it would not need much to make someone in love with him. Mrs. Weasly used the same trick at school, as she told Ginny and Hermione.

Miriam Huber - May 22, 2005 5:30 am (#2520 of 2930)

Yes, Netherlandic, but JKR told us also that no magic is infallible. And only if you had absolutely no possibility to defend yourself a love potion would be strong enough to make somebody love Snape

Netherlandic - May 22, 2005 5:34 am (#2521 of 2930)

If you know Snape was administering it...

T Brightwater - May 22, 2005 6:50 am (#2522 of 2930)

Look what Titania ended up with in _A Midsummer Night's Dream_!

Besides, sometime in Snape's past, it's remotely possible that he washed his hair and smiled at someone.

lkb - May 22, 2005 8:03 am (#2523 of 2930)

I think...perish the thought, that someone might want to defend Snape's honor right about now. Given surcumstances, his home AND school life were not the greatest. Is it a wonder that he is mean? He was taught that you are mean to people, like people were mean to him. and I think that he does wash his hair...at least every week.

Anyhow...has anyone tried to catch Peeves?

So Sirius - May 22, 2005 9:40 am (#2524 of 2930)

Ikl, Look at Harrys home life, yet he's not mean. I'm sure he's bitter at times, but he's not a mean person, nor did he choose a mean path. I suspect that some people can't help what they are, because of psychosis but you can't blame things around you for what you choose to become.

As much as the discussion regarding Snape should be moved to the Snape thread, as JKR put this on her website I just want to further address that as curious it is that she would say "daughter" IF Snape had a little Snapper out there somewhere, wouldn't we have seen something, somewhere in the story line that hinted us to it, at some point? Unless of course we've all missed it severely. Or Severously.

Choices - May 22, 2005 1:20 pm (#2525 of 2930)

Two things I find interesting - Snape and Malfoy have some sort of mysterious connection.....and Draco is the only student we have heard Snape call by his first name. Why is Snape referred to as "Malfoy's lapdog" and why does Snape seem to favor Draco?

Ponine - May 22, 2005 1:43 pm (#2526 of 2930)

Choices - I have noticed that as well, and I assumed it was consciously used as a term of familiarity, certain to go over well with the Malfoys. Now, IF the theories were to be correct, and Snape was Draco's real father, Draco could also very well be the half-blood prince... Dynasty and Dallas have got nothing on us.

riotgrrrl - May 22, 2005 3:06 pm (#2527 of 2930)

Choices-Maybe he calls Draco by his first name because he used to be (or is) familiar with his family outside of school. Good catch as I don't think I'd have noticed that without your comments.

Very Sirius- Jo does bring in new characters in just about every book that turn out to be quite important and yet had never been mentioned before. I think she reveals the world to us as Harry learns about it, so even if a character IS important, if Harry hasn't encountered him or her, we may not know about them yet. I'm just taking this from what I've observed form the books and could be totally wrong, but many characters aren't revealed until they enter his realm.

Mare - May 22, 2005 4:00 pm (#2528 of 2930)

Jo does bring in new characters in just about every book that turn out to be quite important and yet had never been mentioned before.

The funny thing is that actually most people who turn out important have had a slight notice in a previous book.

But, too steer the discussion away from Snape and Malfoy and on to the subject of this thread (hint!) I think we will get one more minor update before HPB and that's it.
After all, we have thread titles, little excerpts? (sp?) and the cover art... it's time for the book!

PS. Waves to Netherlandic, looks like you're from my part of the world. Benelux ministry of Magic? And here I was under the impression there was a school of magic on Rottumerplaat...

vball man - May 22, 2005 8:02 pm (#2529 of 2930)

Quirrell, Dumbledore, Lupin, Fudge, McGonagall, call him "Severus."

Harry uses his first name to tell Fudge that he was a death eater at the end of GoF.
"Snape!" he shouted. "Severus Snape!"

I don't see anywhere where Draco calls him "Severus."

riotgrrrl - May 22, 2005 8:17 pm (#2530 of 2930)

Mare- I agree that many people were mentioned earlier in the series, but we have met many along the way that have proved invaluable to the plot, from Mad Eye to Crouch Jr. and the students and teachers from the other wizarding schools. However, just because a character hasn't been mentioned or introduced, it doesn't mean that the person will not be in the plot later on. Anything is possible at this point. We all know there is a good possibility of a new Dark Arts teacher (or that Snape will be it, but that is for discussion elsewhere), and many have speculated that is reflected in the name of a chapter of HBP. I agree that we may have one more update before the release, but what would it be? We haven't had a drawing in a while, have we? I'm not sure what else she would give us so close to the release date.

Miriam Huber - May 22, 2005 11:07 pm (#2531 of 2930)

vball man,

Harry never tells Fudge that Snape was a Death Eater. Your quote probably refers to Karkaroff in the pensieve.

Another thought transferred to Snape-thread, where it belongs. (Don´t know how to link.)

skh - May 23, 2005 8:10 am (#2532 of 2930)

Here's a question that has piqued my interest (not sure if it's been asked before):

What, if any, is the significance of the indregients used to create the potion easter eggs - are they "real" potions in the series, or totally made up? ... Would be interested to hear other's thoughts on this matter.

PS - V intrigued about the "daughter" wording, it does seem signigicant alright! Although, Lily was very young when she had Harry, is not quite likely that Snape only met the love of his life after VW1 and that therefore their son is not yet of school age - perhaps he'll be a pupil next year? Imagine if he was sorted into Gryfindor and not Slyterin! And became friends with HRH or had a crush on that insufferable know it all (as I'm sure he refers to her as, at least once!), Miss Granger - Snape would surely implode!

vball man - May 23, 2005 11:00 am (#2533 of 2930)

Miriam, you're right. Sorry, that was kark.

But my point still stands: Draco never calls him Severus.

amy clay - May 23, 2005 11:07 am (#2534 of 2930)

I am rolling on the floor just thinking about that. my mom and I watched POA this weekend, where Snape calls Hermoine "an insufferable know-it-all"

GryffEndora - Dec 31, 2004 5:16 pm (#2535 of 2930)
"
Edited May 23, 2005 11:08 am
Choices - Two things I find interesting - Snape and Malfoy have some sort of mysterious connection.....and Draco is the only student we have heard Snape call by his first name. Why is Snape referred to as "Malfoy's lapdog" and why does Snape seem to favor Draco? - Bold Mine

vball man - Quirrell, Dumbledore, Lupin, Fudge, McGonagall, call him "Severus."

Harry uses his first name to tell Fudge that he was a death eater at the end of GoF. "Snape!" he shouted. "Severus Snape!"

I don't see anywhere where Draco calls him "Severus."

vball man - Choices was observing that Draco is the only student that Snape refers to by his first name 'Draco' not the other way around.

Netherlandic - May 23, 2005 12:41 pm (#2536 of 2930)

Rottemerplaat, Marè??? Why, to study magical underwater life? Or sea gulls?

Aurora Gubbins - May 23, 2005 1:16 pm (#2537 of 2930)

"Malfoy's Lapdog"...surely not Draco Malfoy's lapdog, but Lucius Malfoy's

Aurora xx

Choices - May 23, 2005 1:35 pm (#2538 of 2930)

Sorry my post was obviously so confusing. Thank you GryffEndora for clearning up the Snape calling Draco by his first name...Draco. Secondly, I was referring to Snape being called Lucius Malfoy's lapdog. Hope that straightens it all out.

S.E. Jones - May 23, 2005 2:25 pm (#2539 of 2930)

We need to move any further discussion about Severus Snape or Draco Malfoy to the appropriate threads. Thank you.

Mare - May 23, 2005 2:38 pm (#2540 of 2930)

Rottemerplaat, Marè??? Why, to study magical underwater life? Or sea gulls?

Mostly because it is a muggle free area (for everybody else who is wondering... Rottumerplaat is a small island. It is a nature reservation where people are forbidden to go too. There is no ferry, no harbour and it would be perfect for a small wizarding school!)

I am currently a bit annoyed by the marble. I have a new computer so I had to refind all my clues, but somehow I keep missing the marble. I just forget that that was what I was doing, or somebody calls... you get the idea.
Tomorrow another chance!

GryffEndora - May 23, 2005 3:17 pm (#2541 of 2930)

One of the Scholastic people gave the name of a new character from HBP today on CNN. I read it on the Leaky news page. Did Jo give us a name at the Edinburgh Book Festival? I can't find it if she did. The Leaky article led me to believe that she did. Anyway if you want to know the name it is in white => McLeggen.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this post.

Dumbledore - May 23, 2005 3:29 pm (#2542 of 2930)

Gryffendora, are you sure it's not Mclaggan (not sure of the spelling)...because if so JKR did say that she liked that name and that she was going to use it. If it is indeed Mcleggen, then it's a new name. Good find

Chemyst - May 23, 2005 3:45 pm (#2543 of 2930)

I agree that we may have one more update before the release, but what would it be? ~ Riotgrrrl

I haven't thought this through, but off the top of my head, I think it could be similar to OP where they released a short reading from the first chapter. That could now be done on the website. Or it could be a squashing of another rumor rather than a bit of new information, since that would keep the interest building up without giving anything away.

vball man - May 23, 2005 4:24 pm (#2544 of 2930)

oh. Well, that's very different. Never-mind. :-) - - Rosanna Rosannadana

S.E. Jones - May 23, 2005 7:11 pm (#2545 of 2930)

GryffEndora, I responded to your question on the 'Half-blood Prince' thread. The transcript of the Edinburgh festival can be found on her site under the 'News' section.

GryffEndora - May 23, 2005 7:11 pm (#2546 of 2930)

Dumbledore, I think the CNN Transcript has the spelling different and that is why I had trouble finding it on quick quotes. It is most likely McLaggan as JKR told us earlier.

*edit: Thanks S.E. Jones*

Lina - May 25, 2005 2:12 pm (#2547 of 2930)

I've been thinking about possible updates before the HBP...
She might make some changes at the "Extra stuff" page, at least change some pictures (show us Mackanzie) and the shopping list (I guess the Sun lotion would remain).
She might put a new FAQ pool.
Could she open the door once more? I don't dare to hope.
Two new Easter eggs? That would be great!

Madam Pince - May 25, 2005 3:39 pm (#2548 of 2930)

I bet she'll open the door one more time before July. I'm hoping there will be another snippet of text....

Tomoé - May 25, 2005 4:06 pm (#2549 of 2930)

I bet there will be some new stuff for July 16th, likely new Easter Eggs, transcription of the interviews, renewal of the design (it will be only for the English section, the other version will upgrade when book six will be released in their respective language), etc.

I don't believe the door will open again before July 16th, on last June 29th, she said you will find that the Do Not Disturb Door opens again… and again… giving you further hints about book six. It was just after the release of the sixth book title, the door opened in August we had the new character's description and, in October, three chapter title (there was an opening in December that told us the book was finished, but there was no hints about book six, so it does not really count, does it).

Helen Potterfan - May 26, 2005 8:38 am (#2550 of 2930)

JKR has updated the Daily News on her web site!!! I won't say more just yet.

EDIT: Updated Rubbish bin as well!!
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2551 to 2600 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 pm

Snuffles - May 26, 2005 8:43 am (#2551 of 2930)

Thanks Jo!

Didn't think it would take Jo long before commenting. There is an update in the Rubbish bin section too.

Ooh cross posted with you on the last bit Accio HBP!

GryffEndora - May 26, 2005 8:43 am (#2552 of 2930)

Excellent!

Madame Pomfrey - May 26, 2005 8:58 am (#2553 of 2930)

Ooh yall beat me to it!Thanks for the update Jo!

Helen Potterfan - May 26, 2005 9:15 am (#2554 of 2930)

I was expecting her to reply to the rumors flying around recently, but I was hoping for the door to open today (50 days to go). I did like the rubbish bin comment!

Madame Kulich - May 26, 2005 10:19 am (#2555 of 2930)

I am glad that she doesn't post on these forums because it would be all too easy for someone to pose as her. However, it would be nice to chat with her and hear her comments about some of the things we post more often.

Madam Pince - May 26, 2005 11:18 am (#2556 of 2930)

But she's contradicting herself on her very own site!

Monday 15 March 2004

Mugglenet Chatroom Uninterested in JKR's Theories

A few weeks ago I did something I’ve never done before and took a stroll into a Harry Potter chat room: specifically, MuggleNet’s chat room. Although I was concerned to find that many of the moderators feel their spiritual home is Slytherin, this is a great site. Nobody was remotely interested in my theories about what’s going to happen in book seven, though. In the end, I gave up trying to impart any gems of wisdom and joined in the discussion about SpongeBob SquarePants (don’t ask). I would like to take this opportunity to say that the practise of calling Lord Voldemort ‘Voldie’ must stop, as must the insistence that with a bit of therapy ‘Voldie’ would be a real sweetheart. I might drop in again some time to check that you’ve done as you’ve been told. Look out for ‘Squidward’.

Well, I guess maybe technically a "chatroom" isn't really "posting on a forum." But still.... (nitpicky, nitpicky, nitpicky....)

applepie - May 26, 2005 11:25 am (#2557 of 2930)

I thought I had read something about that before.

Tomoé - May 26, 2005 11:28 am (#2558 of 2930)

I would say a "posting on a chatroom" isn't like "posting on a forum", because there's no trace left. No one would be able to put two an two together and figure that [whatever is the nickname she used]" was 100% accurate in her predictions.

GryffEndora - May 26, 2005 11:48 am (#2559 of 2930)

And a person in a chatroom is probably not connected to a registered e-mail address like a poster in a forum is.

John Bumbledore - May 26, 2005 11:57 am (#2560 of 2930)

This may have already been discussed, but I put two items from Jo's site together and seem to have found a possible good fit or match. Like puzzle pieces, that when put together, form an image that ones mind can recognize and easily fill in the remaining blanks.

From the three Chapter titles:

Draco's Detour

From Jo's Extra Stuff, Edits Section:
Malfoy & Nott (Chamber of Secrets/Goblet of Fire)

I liked this scene so much I tried to use it twice....
Raised by a very elderly widower and Death Eater father, Theodore is a clever loner ....
However, in this scene Theodore's father (the same Nott who was badly injured in the closing chapters of 'Order of the Phoenix') goes to visit Lucius Malfoy to discuss Voldemort-related business and we see Draco and Theodore alone in the garden having a talk of their own.
Now could she have adapted the situation? With Lucius and Nott in Azkaban, Draco visits Theodore "to discuss Voldemort-related business." Is Theodore's father in Azkaban? He was "badly injured." If Nott's fater is in Azkaban, Who then is acting as guardian of Theodore? Surely he is not home alone, but his father is elderly and a widower.
Well, when I was scanning Jo's site for changes (such as edits to previous items, like the revision of the Owls item) I noticed the Theodore Nott item and momentarily thought it was new. I realized upon opening it that I had previously read it, but not since the three chapters titles had been revealed.

So, I am now looking for other such cross-references that may be made within Jo's site. Any other suggestions? Fire away!

<)B^D= John Bumbledore

Ponine - May 26, 2005 4:27 pm (#2561 of 2930)

You know, I adore JKR, but I don't buy her little ditty about never posting or chatting anywhere. I can completely understand why she would say such a thing, and I think she did the right thing in debunking such a rumor. That being said - my email address to this forum has no link to me privately, you could not find me if you tried (hmmm - momentarily pondering whether some 'puter wiz in here will prove me wrong in a heartbeat...) - my point being that as she loves her world as much as we does, and the internet is one of the few places she can retain her anonymity, I would be surprised if she did not meander about various sites every now and then. Actually, I hope she does, and that no one ever finds out (I can make smilies now!! )

GryffEndora - May 26, 2005 4:37 pm (#2562 of 2930)

I think her real point is that she does not post on any site as herself. I'm sure she lurks, throws out clues and red-herrings but I don't think she ever does it as JKR. If someone on a forum says they are JKR I'm sure they are not.

Ponine - May 26, 2005 4:41 pm (#2563 of 2930)

I know, Gryffendora, that is what I was thinking too, and that is why I think she did the right thing in emphasizing it to the masses the way she did.

James Greenfield - May 26, 2005 10:06 pm (#2564 of 2930)

I hope this will be considered to be "on-topic" for this thread.

A while back (maybe a hundred posts back) many were trying to find a word that would activate the phone on JKR's site (in addition to MAGIC and PEEVES).Many words that had been tried and didn't work were listed. And some people were discussing the light switches also on the site.

Well, putting these together, has anyone tried using the command word LUMOS on the phone? I can't do it, but can someone try?

Johninboro - May 26, 2005 10:24 pm (#2565 of 2930)

Tried LUMOS and it does not work.

Aurora Gubbins - May 27, 2005 2:30 am (#2566 of 2930)

I tried LIGHT and LIGHTS and they didn't work either.

John Bumbledore: I have been thinking what you expressed on your recent post for a long time. I did post a suggestion that the potion puzzles whe had to find to get scrapbook awards were potions from the stories, I then thought that maybe those potions would be important in the next books. I also think that there is some cross referring to be done to help us work out what is most important. I particularly like that she originally had the Potters living on a small island at the time of the attack; Harry discovers he is a wizard while staying on such an island. Coincidence? I also think that some of the discarded chapters were not totally discarded and that there are elements that remain for later use. After all, Jo herself tells us that her website is a place where she can give us hints and clues. I imagine her sitting at her desk rubbing her hands and laughing wickedly...

BTW; Has anyone noticed the similarity between the mystery character from behind the door and Mundungus?

Aurora xx

jose043 - May 27, 2005 4:40 am (#2567 of 2930)
Edited by S.E. Jones May 27, 2005 11:04 am

JKR comes on & reads the different forum I have read it some where or how would she address some of the things that are written on the different site on her official site

->Please try to use proper punctuation in your posts. If you have any questions, please email me or any of the Hosts.<- S.E. Jones

skh - May 27, 2005 6:05 am (#2568 of 2930)

Jose, I don't think there's much doubt about Jo logging onto various forums to check them out - she's mentioned the Mugglenet chatroom, for instance, and the fansite awards indicate that she' obviously logged onto those pages, however it's the issue of whether or not Jo actually posts a message to a forum such as this one that she is denying.

Sarah

jose043 - May 27, 2005 7:52 am (#2569 of 2930)
Edited by S.E. Jones May 27, 2005 11:06 am

skh she did say at one time that she had written in on one of the chats but a while back & found that the people on the chat were to fast for her & did not seem interested in her point of veiw & I think it was Lexion that she was talking about it was quite a while ago.

->Please try to use proper punctuation in your posts. If your sentences run together, others may have trouble reading them. If you have any questions, please email me or any of the Hosts.<- S.E. Jones

Ladybug220 - May 27, 2005 9:24 am (#2570 of 2930)

Actually, it was Mugglenet's chat room.

S.E. Jones - May 27, 2005 11:12 am (#2571 of 2930)

A chatroom is definately not like a forum, or 'comments section', if you will. It leaves no trace and is sporatic. If you haven't been in a chatroom, you can try out ours (the link is at the top of the main page, under the teal tool bar). In a chatroom, you don't have immediate access to an email address. On a forum, someone, somewhere does. The Hosts of our forum have access to everyone's email address, even those listed as private, though we try to respect the members' privacy. If we don't find an email address, the member gets moderated until we have one. If JKR were really posting on a fan forum, she'd have to realize that even Hosts are fans and would have access to any email addresses she puts out there which would probably be a little frightening to her, especially considering that not all Hosts will be as respectful as those on our forum. So, I think we can take her word for it that she doesn't post, even if she does read, the many fan forums on the net.

Ponine - May 27, 2005 2:40 pm (#2572 of 2930)

I hear what you are saying Ms Jones, but JKR could at anytime get an email account such as earwax@yamail, and no one would ever know.. As long as she refrains from stansing on any virtual town square, typing I am JKR in capital letters, she could meander anonymously around, on chats or forums, without anyone even realizing that she was right under their noses Smile

Aurora Gubbins - May 27, 2005 3:05 pm (#2573 of 2930)

Ah! Yes, Ponine. However, I could be Jo Rowling - but I'm not, but I could be. You wouldn't know...

Aurora (?) xx

GryffEndora - May 27, 2005 3:47 pm (#2574 of 2930)

Ponine - I think the point JKR was making is that some people were posting on forums saying they were JKR and she is saying that she will not do that. Therefore if I say I am JKR you can be sure that I am not.

Regan of Gong - May 27, 2005 3:48 pm (#2575 of 2930)

Anyone here could be JKR...

Catherine - May 27, 2005 4:18 pm (#2576 of 2930)

Theoretically, yes, and that is a VERY good reason, amongst others, for us always to respect one another and show our very best selves.

JKR has said she doesn't "post" on fan sites, and I believe her. Why? Because she has shown herself to dislike liars, and to be a champion of truth.

Like Dumbledore, who will not lie, but may refrain from answering, JKR can be cagey, but she would never maliciously mislead her fans, nor would she shamelessly promote herself on a fan site, especially if she resists doing so in "real life" every day with many chances swarming her.

I would be delighted to think that I have exchanged posts with Ms. Rowling, but since she had denied posting, I rather doubt it.

S.E. Jones - May 27, 2005 5:06 pm (#2577 of 2930)

Precisely, Catherine.

Ponine, my point was that, even if she was using a made-up username and email address, she might be less likely to post as there is a possibility that someone could find out who she was, and thus wouldn't take the chance.

frogface - May 28, 2005 1:17 am (#2578 of 2930)

You both seem very keen to suggest she wouldn't ever post as someone else...maybe one of you is JKR!!!! Just kidding. I can see that becoming the next thread though. "Who Is JKR?" But seriously, I agree with Catherine and S.E. Jones on this one, if JKR states that something isn't true, then I'll believe her, which is precisely why I avoid reading the rumours that leaked out a few days ago.

Lina - May 28, 2005 12:40 pm (#2579 of 2930)

Actually, I am JKR and I'm just using bad English on purpose, to take you off the track!

Weeny Owl - May 28, 2005 12:51 pm (#2580 of 2930)

I always thought Catherine and Sarah looked a bit suspicious.

Ponine - May 28, 2005 3:22 pm (#2581 of 2930)

why would you not expect me!?!? I seem knowledgeable, right!?!? Alas.... I am still crossing fingers and toes for one more door opening - Are there any significant dates that may warrant such an occasion? Birthdays, anniversaries..? Midsummer night?

haymoni - May 28, 2005 7:40 pm (#2582 of 2930)

I didn't read all of the recent posts, but didn't Jo say that she signed on to one site and stated a "theory" that was shot down by the other members?

Am I dreaming about this? It was the same tidbit where she said something about "Squidward".

Madam Pince - May 28, 2005 8:47 pm (#2583 of 2930)

Haymoni, see my post #2556 in this thread for the full text of that quote. You're right, she said they were not remotely interested in her "theories" about book seven. Clearly, they did not know who they were talking to! Wonder if they know now, and remember what she said, and if so, where can we find them?

Magical Max - May 29, 2005 12:41 am (#2584 of 2930)

This discussion about JKR and the forums is starting to sound like a rock song.

" Will the REAL Jo Rowling please stand up, please stand up. please stand up....etc."

Maybe the Leaky Cauldron staff could record a CD as a charity fundraiser ?

Catherine - May 29, 2005 4:03 pm (#2585 of 2930)

I always thought Catherine and Sarah looked a bit suspicious. Weeny Owl

See how Weeny deflected attention? Ve-rrr--yyy suspicious THAT is.

So, while JKR was in the chatroom on Mugglenet and no one listened to her theories, that doesn't mean it would happen here.

At least, I hope not!

So, any predictions on when/if the door will open again before HbP? I don't know, as I'm not JKR.

GryffEndora - May 29, 2005 4:34 pm (#2586 of 2930)

I think the door will open on July 16th. Behind the door will be a sign reading "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince is in book stores now. What more do you people want? Seriously, go buy it, read it and leave me alone for 5 minutes! Sheesh! Just Kidding. Hope you like to book. Jo" That is what I think will happen.

I am not JKR.

Good Evans - May 30, 2005 4:13 am (#2587 of 2930)

Gryffendora - gosh I hope not - I will be off on vacation on 16th - book in hand and am very unlikely to get on to the website that morning !!!! .... well maybe just for a few minutes, just to check!!

Liz Mann - May 30, 2005 7:37 am (#2588 of 2930)

I hope the door opens again before the big day too. It hasn't opened in aaaaages. Since the announcement of the release date, I think.

skh - May 30, 2005 8:02 am (#2589 of 2930)

I know - more than anything I want that door to open again - another tantilizing snippet of near-information, to generate 2 months work of speculation to keep us going til publication!

Aurora Gubbins - May 31, 2005 4:25 am (#2590 of 2930)

Does anyone know how long the door remains open at any one time? If it's always the same number of days then we can hope to count back from the 16th July, so, if it's always 14 days that will be the 4th July and as the door opens on a Monday the latest it can open would be 6th July. Following this, a 3 week opening would mean the door opens on 27th June. If there is no specific time the door is open then I am obviously talking a load of drivel.

Aurora xx (Clearly not JKR)

djellibabe - May 31, 2005 4:31 am (#2591 of 2930)

Quick, Quick new FAQ poll. Go now!!

Cat 7 of 9 - May 31, 2005 4:31 am (#2592 of 2930)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say ... GO TO THE F.A.Q. on Jo's web site.

Go on, go now!

Thought I was going to be the first one to post it, but djellibabe got here first. Just goes to show great minds do think alike.

azi - May 31, 2005 4:41 am (#2593 of 2930)

Hmmm, interesting questions! I voted for how the Order communicate because we'll find out the answers to the other two in book 6 anyway. Smile Hopefully...

Snuffles - May 31, 2005 4:42 am (#2594 of 2930)

So did I azi, and judging by the percentage rates at the moment so have most people! come on July 16th come on July 16th!

Magical Max - May 31, 2005 4:47 am (#2595 of 2930)

OK I voted on the FAQ poll. ( actually went with the majority vote for once..)

Interesting selection of choices in the poll. Most, if not all, of which would seem likely to be answered in Book 6. So either JKR will quickly respond to this poll before July 16 or let the book answer for her.

Sigh... only a month and a half to go....

Grindylow - May 31, 2005 4:56 am (#2596 of 2930)

Thanks for the heads up on the FAQ poll. I didn't go with the majority this time. I think all were good questions. Will we get the answer BEFORE HBP comes out?

I do hope the door opens one more time. Another snipit from one of the chapters would be great!

Aurora Gubbins - May 31, 2005 5:32 am (#2597 of 2930)

And we'll get a new Wizard of the Month tomorrow!

Yippee!!!

Aurora xx

Springtime - May 31, 2005 5:50 am (#2598 of 2930)

can't vote, click my choice but it will not accept it. anyone else having this problem? I'll keep trying to get my vote in.

Catherine - May 31, 2005 6:39 am (#2599 of 2930)

Did you push the "Submit" button after you clicked your choice?

Springtime - May 31, 2005 6:50 am (#2600 of 2930)

there is no sumit button. It must not be loading right will try again later
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2601 to 2650 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:32 pm

skh - May 31, 2005 6:53 am (#2601 of 2930)

I went with Option 1, as I felt that the majority question will just be a confirmaton of something we suspect already? A more interesting question might've been:

Explain more fully the in's and out's and ALL the capabilities of the Patronus!

EDIT: Springtime, it's hard to see the submit vote option, I only noticed it because of the previous post to you... it's on the bottom right of the page, on the opposite edge of the paper to where it gives the page numbers. Sarah

Springtime - May 31, 2005 7:08 am (#2602 of 2930)

just tried reloading it and it worked!! Smile

Miriam Huber - May 31, 2005 7:23 am (#2603 of 2930)

I think the fact that she chose those question means that she will definitely answer them before July 16th because afterwards we would know (at least two of them) anyway. Wow!

Liz Mann - May 31, 2005 7:42 am (#2604 of 2930)

I went for the option on how the Order communicate too.

applepie - May 31, 2005 7:43 am (#2605 of 2930)

Me too.

skh - May 31, 2005 7:56 am (#2606 of 2930)

No-no, the Occlumency is more interesting, it's mind reading!!!

Oh well, just goes to show that it really is each to their own - different strokes and all that!

Let's hope it's answered real soon though, either way.

Gina R Snape - May 31, 2005 8:04 am (#2607 of 2930)

I voted on the occlumency question too. It's been on my mind (pardon the pun). And some of us were discussing it somewhere...the Snape thread perhaps? I think we'll know the answers to all of these questions in less than 7 weeks, but I think the occlumency question opens up more possibility for pre-book speculation than the others. And I'm convinced it's a pensieve on the book cover anyhow.

Grindylow - May 31, 2005 8:09 am (#2608 of 2930)

I too went with the Occlumency question. I think that is going to be an integral part for Harry to CLOSE his mind.

Liz Mann - May 31, 2005 8:28 am (#2609 of 2930)

I think the Occlumency question and the one about the US cover are ones that we will learn the answers to for sure in the next book anyway. So I think it's more worth the vote to go for the one about the Order. We only get one vote after all.

Finn BV - May 31, 2005 8:32 am (#2610 of 2930)

Where is the FAQ poll? Not even when I search the text only can I find it. Can somebody please help!

Thanks (in advance, because I don't want to waste 1 of my 10 posts just saying thanks, so thanks… ).

applepie - May 31, 2005 8:38 am (#2611 of 2930)

Click on the paperclips that form a question mark. Click any envelope and there will be a slide out piece of paper on the left. The poll is at the bottom of the slide out paper.

P.S.: No "pre-thanks" necessary. I understand about the 10 posts/day.

bella - May 31, 2005 8:47 am (#2612 of 2930)

Oooh, these are good. I really don't know which to pick. Ah well, I suppose it doesn't matter all that much as each of them will hopefully be answered within the next (and last*sob*Sad ) two books.

Julia. - May 31, 2005 8:49 am (#2613 of 2930)

Occlumency one for me!

mooncalf - May 31, 2005 8:53 am (#2614 of 2930)

fb807, you can't access the poll from the text-only site. :-(

I voted for the occlumency question; I thought that it was more significant - possibly because we've already made some pretty good guesses about the other two, and I'd really like to know!

Lina - May 31, 2005 8:56 am (#2615 of 2930)

There is no FAQ poll in the text only version.

It was hard for me to make a decision. I think that we will have the answers to all the three questions in the HBP book. This would really mean that she is planning to answer the poll at least a week before the book comes out and it sounds great.

Thank you Jo for the hope!

I thought at first that she hasn't moved the ex poll question in the section "About the books" because it was not on the top, but I saw later that all the questions and answers are there.

GryffEndora - May 31, 2005 9:21 am (#2616 of 2930)

I also decided that at least the first 2 if not all three questions will be answered in HBP. I voted for the way the Order communicates. However, I may vote for the Occlumancy one when I get home. The nature of the questions has really got my hopes up that she'll answer before July 16th. Soooooooo excited!!!

Thanks Jo!!!!!

(You can vote for more than one option if you use different computers to vote.)

*edit: skh - Glad I could help!

skh - May 31, 2005 9:28 am (#2617 of 2930)

Mooncalf, that was my exact thought process! Come on, the Occlumency voters!

Grffendora - great, am in our London office this week, will pop around loads of desks and sneakily vote for the Occlumency question!

Madam Pince - May 31, 2005 10:10 am (#2618 of 2930)

I voted for the "How the Order communicates" question. The Occlumency one just doesn't seem too important to me -- don't know why. And clearly, that object on the cover is a Pensieve, so don't need the answer to that one!

Actually, I thought it was interesting that she worded the question "is the object THE Pensieve" rather than "is the object A Pensieve?" We had speculated as to whether or not there is more than one Pensieve....

Aurora Gubbins - May 31, 2005 10:23 am (#2619 of 2930)

Madam Pince: Well spotted, maybe it's a clue!

Aurora xx

Ydnam96 - May 31, 2005 10:42 am (#2620 of 2930)

voted with the majority...although I wonder if all of these questions will be answered in the book anyway?

So Sirius - May 31, 2005 11:06 am (#2621 of 2930)

Well, looks as though I was seriously outvoted. I opted for the pensieve question. I, along with a few others, seem to be interested in that. I don't see how the order communicates to be of vital importance to anything and I don't see whether or not Harry continues occlumency to be something I'd need her to answer right now. But that's what makes the world go round, all of us feel different about things.

Netherlandic - May 31, 2005 11:23 am (#2622 of 2930)

I didn't like the options very much. We already know how the order communicates, I don't care about a pensieve on the American book cover since that cover is not for sale over here...So I voted for the occlumency and hope that JKR will come up with the answer soon so that we are all fed with a little more to talk about while we wait for book VI...

Steve Newton - May 31, 2005 11:46 am (#2623 of 2930)

Netherlandic, I sort of agree with you. I won't vote until this evening when I talk with my son. I found none of the questions compelling.

Netherlandic - May 31, 2005 11:57 am (#2624 of 2930)

Thanks Steve. By the way, can anyone point me in the direction of that already famous American edition so I can see for myself if it is indeed a pensieve? When I surged for "scolastic", Internet came up with an European scolastic web site. Not much use then.

Finn BV - May 31, 2005 12:00 pm (#2625 of 2930)

Netherlandic, go to Hogwarts Gallery.

Ok, thanks to applepie for the help (now that I have something else to say ).

I also agree with Netherlandic and Steve that the questions are not the greatest. The pensieve thing we'll find out sooner or later, so it would be redundant to ask her now. Same with Occlumency – we'll find out in a month and a half so why should we waste a question from JKR now? The Order is something we might not find out about, so… I voted for it.

Julia. - May 31, 2005 12:00 pm (#2626 of 2930)

Surebeans Netherlandic. It's here.

Netherlandic - May 31, 2005 12:08 pm (#2627 of 2930)

Thanks Fbv, Julia. Think it must be a pensieve or perhaps that tool were the two smoking snakes came out of (don't have the books at hand).

Fbv, the method of communication is a silvery dart that is shot out of a wand (most likely anyway). It is described when in "Phoenix" Dumbledore wants Hagrid to come to escort Harry back to the castle. (Harry went to find DD to come and have a look at bewildered Crouch sr.).

Johninboro - May 31, 2005 12:39 pm (#2628 of 2930)

Slightly off topic with regards to the FAQ but I watched COS again last night looking for clues, then I watched disc 2 with the missing scenes in it. The vital clue in COS that I can think of is someone saying that "Voldermort wanted Harry dead because he knew he was going to turn into a dark wizzard and overthrow him". Now, if this is tied in with the prophecy then maybe Voldermort got it wrong and it is Neville who turns bad. Ohh, and I still think that the half blood prince is Trevor, Neville's toad. Could Voldermort be an animagus? Snakes = reptiles, are toads and frogs reptilian as I am not sure but I think that there is a link there somewhere.

Gina R Snape - May 31, 2005 12:48 pm (#2629 of 2930)

Johninboro, I think that might be a case of movie contamination. Those were students speculating, when they thought Harry was the heir of slytherin.

Catherine - May 31, 2005 1:13 pm (#2630 of 2930)

I voted for "How the Order Communicates" because it was the question I worried would be least likely to be answered in HbP, and might illuminate something interesting that we don't already know about the magical HP world.

GrandPre's art isn't, to my way of thinking, exactly canon. Her interpretations so far have been spot on, but they are still filtered through a lens other then JKR. So asking about the Pensieve-looking thingy on the cover seemed not as urgent to me, as I'm sure I'll know what it is by the time I finish the book.

It was much harder to eliminate the Occlumency lesson. In my opinion, Occlumency would be a useful skill for Harry to possess, so useful that I didn't trust JKR to really answer the question. Sometimes she just won't really answer things, as it gives too much away, and I didn't want to "waste" an opportunity to really learn something.

I Am Used Vlad - May 31, 2005 1:41 pm (#2631 of 2930)

I voted for the Pensieve question. If JKR told us that it is not, I would love to read people's guesses about what it is. That said, the question is in a distant third, and it probably is the Pensieve anyway. Oh, well.

GryffEndora - May 31, 2005 1:42 pm (#2632 of 2930)

Johninboro - The scene where Ernie Macmillan is speculating to Hannah Abbot and the other Hufflepuffs about Harry being the heir of Slytherin and perhaps being a Dark Wizard is indeed in the book. If you want to speculate on who the HBP is there are a lot of theories on the Half Blood Prince thread.

While the questions in the FAQ are not the most urgent for an answer in my mind, I'm excited about the idea of more information possibly before the book comes out. The questions all seem to be ones that will be addressed in HBP, at least the 1st 2. I would encourage those not happy with the choices we were given to think about if she had not given us any choices and just answered one of these questions in the FAQ section or opened the door and gave us this tiny bit of info. You would be happy to see an update wouldn't you? We spend months whining for something new and when she gives us something we complain that it's not what we wanted. I just worry about sounding ungrateful in a place where Jo can come in and see what we say. While she may not post here, she may decide it's not worth posting on her site either if her fans are so ungrateful. Personally, I'm happy for any tidbit she throws my way. Thanks Jo!

I didn't think I would use the soap box when I made it, honest. I will get down now. Sorry if I sound harsh.

Lina - May 31, 2005 2:42 pm (#2633 of 2930)

We did wait for the last poll answer much longer than we are going to wait now for the book. It seems that we are so much used to waiting that the idea of having to wait much shorter comes to us as a shock. At least to me.

As for myself, I would really like all the three questions to be answered. How would it be to put them all to 33%?

applepie - May 31, 2005 2:47 pm (#2634 of 2930)

Lina, with my luck she wouldn't answer any of them...

Tomoé - May 31, 2005 2:49 pm (#2635 of 2930)

I voted for the occulumency one. Thanks for the new pool Jo!

mooncalf - May 31, 2005 3:13 pm (#2636 of 2930)
Edited by May 31, 2005 3:16 pm

I expect all three questions to be answered in the book. But that's okay with me. At this moment I'm not looking for Ultimate Answers to Ultimate Questions; I just want something to keep me occupied until July 16.

It was a terrific gift. Thanks, Jo!

GryffEndora - May 31, 2005 4:34 pm (#2637 of 2930)

New Wizard of the Month!!!

The Artful Dodger - May 31, 2005 4:51 pm (#2638 of 2930)

I voted for the Pensieve question, because if Jo should answer that one, she won't just say "Yes, it is.", but also give us some hints about why it is there (that's what I'm hoping for, at least). But it seems a different question will be picked, anyway.

Finn BV - May 31, 2005 5:31 pm (#2639 of 2930)

Wow, a new WOM already! I looked her up in the Lexicon and then at the end of the description, it said, "jkrowling.com's Wizard of the Month for 2005." Wow, nice job, Steve, at that fast update!

lkb - May 31, 2005 5:42 pm (#2640 of 2930)

alright...now what is the warlocks council? this one needed a bit more information...sheesh. Smile

KWeldon - May 31, 2005 7:27 pm (#2641 of 2930)

We haven't seen Elfrida before, have we? The name looked familiar, but not the picture. And what is that golden bird?

Julia. - May 31, 2005 7:36 pm (#2642 of 2930)

She was a former Headmistress and has a portrait in Dumbledore's office. She also has a portrait in St. Mungos, and she watched "them" carry Arthur past her just after he was attacked by the snake.

dizzy lizzy - May 31, 2005 8:52 pm (#2643 of 2930)

And what is that golden bird? Kweldon

snitch I think?

I voted for the order question.

For starters my books are all the UK editions so, unless the US edition cover is a great big fat whopping clue, I'm not too interested in it.

I think the occlumency question will be answered in some part in the remaining books. But probably not so much as to satisfy us fans completely. So It was a hard question to discard nonetheless.

So that left the order and its communication. I'm not entirely convinced we've seen all the methods of communication yet; and I don't trust JKR to answer this one fully in the books either. Its the one I'm most interested in though. So...

Dizzy Lizzy

Susan Bones - May 31, 2005 11:06 pm (#2644 of 2930)

She was a former Headmistress and has a portrait in Dumbledore's office. She also has a portrait in St. Mungos, and she watched "them" carry Arthur past her just after he was attacked by the snake.

I was thinking that too, but the Lexicon says that it is Dilys Derwent who is the former Headmistress with the two portraits.

From the information on the Lexicon, the golden bird is probably a Golden Snidget which the golden snitch now replaces in Quidditch games.

Love that Lexicon!

Delightful Task! - Jun 1, 2005 12:25 am (#2645 of 2930)

Thanks Jo!!! I love all the questions of the FAQ poll! Lina, I can't agree with you more, we definitely must try and reach 33% for each question!!!

I was wondering about the new WOM too: last month, there had been a controversy about Felix Summerbee... Elfrida Clagg NEVER was WOM before, am I right? Therefore, is there a clue hidden behind Felix Summerbee?!!

The giant squid - Jun 1, 2005 12:27 am (#2646 of 2930)

I voted for the Pensieve question. I figured thusly: JKR has mentioned the Order's unusual communication form before, and we'll obviously know the occlumency answer on July 16th (or shortly thereafter, depending on how fast you read ). But how often has JKR given a breakdown of what's going on on the covers? Sure, it's easily answered--"yes" or "no"--but I think it's the least likely to be answered on the pages alerady written.

Of course, I've been wrong before...

--Mike

skh - Jun 1, 2005 2:40 am (#2647 of 2930)
Edited by S.E. Jones Jun 1, 2005 8:06 am

I know the name Elfrida Clagg from somewhere, but cannot remember where... v puzzled! Also, Delightful Task, v interested in the notion that Felix Summerbee is going to be important - maybe in a portrait way, I'm thinking, s he's long gone.... makes me think that there must be some connection with the chapter title, a notion I always pooh-poohed before! Sarah

EDIT - also, any connection with Felix Summerbee and Summerby the modern pupil / quiditch player... the latter could be the modern spelling and also some kinda clue? Clutching at staws here?! Names are too alike though... it's either a "Mark Evans" or a clue, hmm...

Lastly, re the questions... Likewise, none of them seemed that major to me, which is why I took a while to make up my mind. But, I think the key is not that anyone is annoyed or even a weeny bit irritated at seemingly irrelevant questions, just commenting. For my part, it makes me suspicious that at least one of the questions has a tantilising "multi-clue / too cleverly worded to give anything away" kinda answer!!!

->The letter 'v' is not a word. Please do not use NetSpeak on the forum. If you need to say 'very' then say so.<- SE Jones

Fawkes Forever - Jun 1, 2005 3:51 am (#2648 of 2930)

Was Elfrida Clagg the lady who made passed the law to make the Golden Snidget a protected species? I think I remember something about that in 'Quidditch Through the Ages'?

Thats why they introduced the snitch instead of the snidget as it was more humane!

Phelim Mcintyre - Jun 1, 2005 3:51 am (#2649 of 2930)

Elfrida Clagg is mentioned in Quidditch Through The Ages. She is the head of the Wizard's Council that outlaws the use of the Snitch. Or she is if my memory serves me correctly.

Edit - double posted, drat and double drat.

skh - Jun 1, 2005 3:55 am (#2650 of 2930)

I don't have Quidditch through the Ages (hangs head in shame), so where did I come across it?!!
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2651 to 2700 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Fawkes Forever - Jun 1, 2005 3:59 am (#2651 of 2930)

Sorry Phelim,
Hee hee, you can tell it's coming up to lunch time in the UK & Ireland We're all posting at the same time.

I just checked the Lex Sarah, & yup we're right about Elfrida Clagg. You might have read it there.

The Lex is just Fab isn't it!

skh - Jun 1, 2005 4:21 am (#2652 of 2930)

You know - I think I know where I know the name from... the brouhaha when Felix Summerbee was named as Wiz of the Mth for May 05, was it not that there was some discussion that from the text only site you could see that it should've been our pal Elfie, Wiz o'Mth for June 05?! (Yes, Fawkes, must go and get something to eat now! And double yes, teh Lex is FAB!)

Phelim Mcintyre - Jun 1, 2005 4:42 am (#2653 of 2930)

Is it only my computer, but has the marble disappeared?

Elanor - Jun 1, 2005 4:45 am (#2654 of 2930)

The marble is still here for me Phelim.

Bon appétit everybody! (lunchtime is nearly finished here!)

Ginerva Potter - Jun 1, 2005 5:24 am (#2655 of 2930)

I think that I have read something about Elrida Clagg, too. I think it was a mistake by JKR somewhere. She had said Cragg instead of Clagg. I can't remember and I can't seem to find where it is. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Or I could just be crazy...

Ginny

Cat 7 of 9 - Jun 1, 2005 6:59 am (#2656 of 2930)

Elrida Cragg's portrait hangs in St Mungo's and in the headmasters office, she watched Arthur being carried past her portrait in St Mungo's then reported back to Dumbledore.

Edit: I believe that Elrida Clagg and Elrida Cragg are two different people ... not a smelling spelling mistake.

Chard11 - Jun 1, 2005 8:42 am (#2657 of 2930)

I was just on jkrowling.com and the phone rang, I answered it and a womans voice said "Hello.Hello.Is anyone there" Has this happened to anyone else before and what is the point of it?

Sorry if this is old news but I am new to the Lexicon.

Thanks

wolfgrl - Jun 1, 2005 8:54 am (#2658 of 2930)

It is not new, but it does not happen often, so congrats on being one of the few to hear it. But unfortunatly no, we do not think it means anything (yet, could be a future easter egg prop).

djellibabe - Jun 1, 2005 9:57 am (#2659 of 2930)

Phelim, my marble has been gone for ages. I think it disappeared when I collected the reward associated with it. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I think once you click on it when the Doxie goes past it will reward you with something for your scrapbook. Anyone else remember?

Grindylow - Jun 1, 2005 10:09 am (#2660 of 2930)

djellibabe-you are right. My marble left when I got the last reward when peeves blew through and the marble glowed...

Helen Potterfan - Jun 1, 2005 10:43 am (#2661 of 2930)

Yes, the questions JKR asked on the poll may not be "vital," but I like them because they clearly demonstrate that JKR--while she may not post on them--definitely reads fan forums like ours. These questions have all been asked here. The third question has been the source of much speculation on our forum. Like others, I voted for the third because I will learn the answer to the other two in 44 days!!!

Hollywand - Jun 1, 2005 10:50 am (#2662 of 2930)

The pattern on the phone ringing: If you are patient enough to continue letting the desktop sit for a bit after the Doxie has flown by, the telephone will ring. If you look at the reading while the phone is speaking, the display counts to five. To me, this signals anticipation of Book Six. I wouldn't swear to this under oath, but I believe the voice is Jo's, and says, "Hello, hello, who's there?" Then hangs up.

I don't believe it's intended as a two way communication device, I just think it's Jo's way of playfully saying hello to us Muggles.

Lots of people (I'm not one of them) attach superstitious meaning to a telephone ringing with no answer at the other end, so I think she's having a bit of fun with that idea as well.

Ginerva Potter - Jun 1, 2005 11:14 am (#2663 of 2930)

Well, I read it on the Lexicon. If you click on OOTP on the startup page for the lexicon, then go to fantasical facts, it says that they think the Clagg/Cragg thing is an actual error. That's where I read it, but I don't think it is canon because I don't think it's one of the things that JKR has commented on. It seems like a mistake to me too, but...one could always argue the other way.

Ginny

Chard11 - Jun 1, 2005 11:51 am (#2664 of 2930)

I do not understand the marble thing. I read on here somehwere that you have to wait for a doxy to come by then the marble will glow but no matter how long I wait the marble never does. I've tried constantly clicking it until the doxy goes past two or three times and nothing happens. Maybe I'm clicking the wrong marble or something, is it the one on the home page near the paperclips?

What do I have to do?

Thank you

Grindylow - Jun 1, 2005 12:59 pm (#2665 of 2930)

Chard11-you have to wait until peeves blows through. The marble glows when he comes through and you have to click it while it is glowing or nothing will happen.

Chard11 - Jun 1, 2005 1:20 pm (#2666 of 2930)
"
Edited Jun 1, 2005 2:05 pm
Is it the marble on the home page next to the paperclips or is it another one?

Thanks Grindylow

I did it. Hooray! Thank you both (Grindylow and Tomoe) for your help.

Tomoé - Jun 1, 2005 1:58 pm (#2667 of 2930)

The marble is between the paperclips, the Welcome notepad and the pen box. When the doxy pass by, it's already too late. You have to be there between The passing of Peeves and the passing of the Doxy.

Grindylow - Jun 1, 2005 3:17 pm (#2668 of 2930)

You are welcome Chard11! Glad I could help!

Smile

Ms Amanda - Jun 1, 2005 3:55 pm (#2669 of 2930)

As far as the FAQ poll, I chose the Occlumency one.

I'm actually thinking that even if the answer is "No" she'll explain why. And it would be great if she said, "Yes, at Spinners End."

I figure that if the thing is a pensieve, great, and if the question is not answered, people on the Lex will speculate now anyway. And I think most of us have guessed sufficiently about the communication.

I believe that she'll answer this question long before July 16, and I'm so happy to know we'll have another update!

haymoni - Jun 1, 2005 5:29 pm (#2670 of 2930)

Didn't someone here say that they had their microphone on when "Jo" said, "Hello" and they answered and there was a response back?

Who was it? Have you tried it again?I don't have a microphone so I can't try it myself.

Does anyone's dog go absolutely crazy when the dog on the website barks? My dog ignores every dog on TV but barks like crazy and starts to howl when she hears that dog bark.

Tomoé - Jun 1, 2005 5:48 pm (#2671 of 2930)

It was Johninboro on post 2418

This is strange, I was on jkrowling.co.uk site at 23:59 tonight (UK Time) when the mobile phone started to ring, so I clicked on the green answer button and a voice said hello. So I said hello back through my mic and the voice replied, "hi, how are you tonight" I said fine thanks, who are you? then the site froze and i had to reboot. SO......make sure u set your flash settings to allow the mic and camera on your pc to work, just right click on the site and select settings. There must be a 2 way conversation thing on the site that allows someone to communicate with you. If that was JK Rowling I spoke to, then I think I will faint.

Steve Newton - Jun 1, 2005 6:36 pm (#2672 of 2930)

How do you remember all of that?

applepie - Jun 1, 2005 6:37 pm (#2673 of 2930)

Tomoe...thanks for posting that message. That would be sooooooo cool if that was her. I would not have read that if you had not posted it, so again...thanks!

Grindylow - Jun 1, 2005 6:37 pm (#2674 of 2930)

I tried but got nothing.... Sad

amy clay - Jun 1, 2005 6:56 pm (#2675 of 2930)
Edited by S.E. Jones Jun 2, 2005 11:53 am

I got it and the marble(on this computer). after peeves came by and i got the marble, i just left the computer running and was doing something else, but in hearing distance of the computer. i heard it ringing, ran to answer and heard "her" say "hello?" etc. =)

->Your post initially was in italics because you started it with a lower case 'i'. Please use proper capitalization in your sentences so that all our members can follow what is being said.<- S.E. Jones

Tomoé - Jun 1, 2005 7:10 pm (#2676 of 2930)

Steve -> How do you remember all of that?

That one have stick in my mind as I believe this is the way to get a new ester egg.

applepie -> Tomoe...thanks for posting that message. That would be sooooooo cool if that was her. I would not have read that if you had not posted it, so again...thanks!

LOL! As I was read to post, I asked myself if I had to copy the message or not and finally decided some people may not to click. ^_^ Anyway, it might be her voice, but I don't think it's a live performance, more likely recorded clips taht can be triggered with audio wave.

Clip 1 -> Hello? Answer -> Hello! Clip 2 -> hi, how are you Answer -> ?

I get the call twice tonight, but could say hello the right way to trigger the second clip.

fleur-de-lys - Jun 2, 2005 10:00 am (#2677 of 2930)

Ok, perhaps this was covered already and if it was I apologize, but this being my first time on this thread, I couldn't sort through all the previous posts. But please help me out and tell me what happened to the previous poll question under the F.A.Q.s. I am at a loss at where to look. I have been dying to get the answer, but when it finally comes out, I miss it. Please, can someone help me out? Thanks so much.

Luv N Mush, Lori

Grindylow - Jun 2, 2005 10:06 am (#2678 of 2930)

I would really like the answer to this question myself. I did see the answer, but can't remember exactly what it said. Anyone???

Tomoé - Jun 2, 2005 10:16 am (#2679 of 2930)

It looks like they forgot to had it in the about the book section, I'm not sure we can still access it.

I'll write the lightmaker about this one.

fleur-de-lys - Jun 2, 2005 10:18 am (#2680 of 2930)

It figures...PPPPPPPPPP. If anyone finds out, please let me know. You can email me if you want.

Grindylow - Jun 2, 2005 10:21 am (#2681 of 2930)

It is in the "About the Books" section. It is a good way down the page. I just read it..

THanks Tomoe!

Tomoé - Jun 2, 2005 11:02 am (#2682 of 2930)

I find it too, a long way down the FAQ list, indeed.

constant vigilance - Jun 2, 2005 3:36 pm (#2683 of 2930)

hey all,

I know this isn't JKR.com related. However, if you read the Leaky Cauldron, they announced that JKR will be on the TODAY show in two weeks, and she will be answering questions.

Here's the address if you want to send a question.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Have fun!

Tomoé - Jun 2, 2005 4:19 pm (#2684 of 2930)

We are post about it on HbP's thread, but since it's not all the members who read that thread, it is a good idea to post it here as well, even if not related to jkrowling.com, it's still related to internet (well, let's say it works).

Aurora Gubbins - Jun 3, 2005 10:29 am (#2685 of 2930)

Does anyone know if we have a full complement of birthdays yet? We must have had a full year by now - but where was Dumbledore?

Tomoé - Jun 3, 2005 10:43 am (#2686 of 2930)

The first birthday shown on the web site was Neville's (July 30th), she may have wanted Neville and Harry's birthday to be the first mentionned and over looked the one occuring in May, June and July.

Anyway, here's the list:
Neville -> July 30th
Harry -> July 31th
Ginny -> August 11th
Percy -> August 22th
Hermione - > September 19th
McGonagall -> October 4th
Flitwick -> October 17th
Molly -> October 30th
Bill -> November 28th
Hagrid -> December 6th
Charlie -> December 12th
Snape -> January 9th
Arthur -> February 6th
Ron -> Mars 1st
Lupin -> Mars 10th
Fred -> April 1st
George -> April 1st
Sprout -> May 15th

Edit: We already have the whole Weasley Family, the four Heads of the Houses and Harry's close friends (Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny, Hagrid and Lupin). Two important charcters are missing, Dumbledore and Luna.

GryffEndora - Jun 3, 2005 10:58 am (#2687 of 2930)

Lets hope that's an oversight and not a comment on weather or not they are still around to celebrate their birth.

Little Ginny - Jun 3, 2005 12:31 pm (#2688 of 2930)

GryffEndora, most alarmingly, Sirius also isn't on the list, as well as Lily and James, which makes the mistake theory even more implausible!

I do so hope that you are right and it's just an oversight, but still...

*fingerscrossed*

Neville Longbottom - Jun 3, 2005 12:40 pm (#2689 of 2930)

I think Sirius and Harry's parents aren't on the list because they are dead, and it would be weird to wish them a Happy Birthday. I'm sure we'll have Dumbledore and Luna's birthdays by July. The website went online May 15th last year. Therefore according to the birthday list, we should have gotten Professor Sprout's birthday right at the first day, which we didn't. This highly suggests that Jo decided a bit later to add the birthdays, and that therefore the real cut-off date is Neville's birthdays on July 30th. Besides, I don't think JKR would quasily tell us which characters will die, in just not wishing them a Happy Birthday.

@ Dumbledore's birthday: I will risk this prediction now and say that his birthday is either June 22nd or 23rd. This is Midsummer and therefore the longest day. It would make sense for the character who represents the side of the light like nobody else, to be born on this day. Luna could very well be a cancer, since it is said that cancers are ruled by the moon, which would make her birthday either at the end of June or the first 3/4 of July.

Elanor - Jun 3, 2005 1:01 pm (#2690 of 2930)

Very interesting Neville! I've read in the Lexicon that Dudley's birthday could well be on June 23rd, that it would be logical (here, at the bottom of the page: Dudley). I hope his birthday will appear on JKR's site too. I really like your theory and would love DD to be born on June 23rd: it is St Audrey's day, my name day... Wouldn't it be funny if DD and Dudley had the same birthday?

GryffEndora - Jun 3, 2005 1:27 pm (#2691 of 2930)

I like the theory too, as I certainly would not like either character to die, and also hope she wouldn't put that kind of big hint in the list of birthdays. Thanks for giving me hope!

Madame Pomfrey - Jun 3, 2005 1:39 pm (#2692 of 2930)

Can we assume that since there are no DE on the list,nor Tom Riddle or DJU,that the characters we wish Happy Birthday are good including Snape & Percy?

Lina - Jun 3, 2005 1:45 pm (#2693 of 2930)

Uau, Madame Pomfrey, I really like your conclusion. Thanks!

Madame Pomfrey - Jun 3, 2005 1:46 pm (#2694 of 2930)

No problem.

riotgrrrl - Jun 3, 2005 1:58 pm (#2695 of 2930)

It is also possible that she knew that the site would be running for more than 1 year and wanted to save some birthdays for the second year and not give them all during the first. Although I do like the assumption that Snape and Percy are not totally evil.

Netherlandic - Jun 4, 2005 12:22 am (#2696 of 2930)

Where is that birthday list? Haven't come across it.

Steve Newton - Jun 4, 2005 4:59 am (#2697 of 2930)

Tomoe posted a list yesterday. Can't remember which thread. How does she remember all of this stuff?

Chemyst - Jun 4, 2005 5:15 am (#2698 of 2930)

Tomoé's list was less than a dozen posts ago on this very thread -
Birthdays

She is remarkable at finding lists & quotes. I'd like to see her filing system, because I need a lesson.

Elanor - Jun 4, 2005 7:01 am (#2699 of 2930)

I've just thought of something! Please forgive me if it was already mentioned but the door opened for the winter solstice, right? So it may well open again for the summer solstice very soon, wouldn't it be logical?

Hollywand - Jun 4, 2005 7:20 am (#2700 of 2930)

Great suggestion, Elanor. June 21st?
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2701 to 2750 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:36 pm

Sticky Glue - Jun 4, 2005 4:18 pm (#2701 of 2930)

It's Draco's birthday. I'm not sure if I want to say happy birthday to Draco, but JKR has, so does that mean that Draco ends up on the good side?

GryffEndora - Jun 4, 2005 4:52 pm (#2702 of 2930)

I'm truly perplexed as to what it means.

Eponine - Jun 4, 2005 4:54 pm (#2703 of 2930)

As am I.

Neville Longbottom - Jun 4, 2005 4:55 pm (#2704 of 2930)

Just wait, the next birthday wish we'll get is for Umbridge. Or for the Dark Lord himself. "Happy Birthday, Voldie."

No, seriously, I'm really surprised about this birthday wish. Maybe Jo decided to add some villains as well, since the birthday calendar was such a success. (And it really is, right? I mean, at least for me, it's one of the most exciting updates. At least when we get a birthday that we don't already know).

S.E. Jones - Jun 4, 2005 4:56 pm (#2705 of 2930)

I think it means that there are a lot of characters and JKR wants to spread their birthdays out over a few years versus having everyday being a new person's birthday. I think there will be a few that we'll see each time around, like Harry, Hermione and Ron.

Lina - Jun 4, 2005 11:23 pm (#2706 of 2930)

How about chapter "Draco's detour"?

Magical Max - Jun 5, 2005 1:39 am (#2707 of 2930)

I can't see Draco deciding to be one of the "Good Guys" unless something spectacular happens to him to make him take a real good look at himself. Maybe if he offers his services to VM and is flatly rejected - except that may just make him more determined to prove himself to VM and the DE's by going out and doing something risky and stupid.

septentrion - Jun 5, 2005 2:34 am (#2708 of 2930)

I nearly fell off my chair : Draco's birthday wishes ? I hope it means he's not as evil as he seems, even if he's a very nasty person (makes a mental parallel with Snape and shudders violently).

Lina - Jun 5, 2005 5:22 am (#2709 of 2930)

O.K. Maybe it just means that he is still a child and hasn't become as evil as his father, yet.

I just like guessing. We get so many clues, some are the right ones, some are not clues at all and some might take us to several ways.

Finn BV - Jun 5, 2005 8:43 am (#2710 of 2930)

I don't think the fact that she says "Happy Birthday Draco" signifies anything. JKR is simply noting that today is Draco's birthday. It's not like she could say "Have a bad birthday, Draco!"

Hollywand - Jun 5, 2005 9:08 am (#2711 of 2930)

A nice birthday cake with the Hand of Glory holding the birthday candles for Draco Malfoy. Made especially with canary cremes and choice bits from the Skiving Snackboxes. Enjoy Malfoy.

Aurora Gubbins - Jun 5, 2005 10:18 am (#2712 of 2930)

I think I just broke my keyboard as my jaw hit the laptop. Hang on... The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog's back. No - it's ok. Everything's fine.

At least it was 'til I looked at Jo's site!

Who is going to give us a quick brief on Draco's Astrological sign?

Aurora xx

lemonbalm&bees - Jun 5, 2005 10:40 am (#2713 of 2930)
"
Edited Jun 5, 2005 11:38 am
Well, I'm a Gemini, too, so here's a bit of information for those who are interested.

Gemini refers to the twins Castor and Pollox, two of Jason's Argonaughts. As this sign is not just one being, but two, Geminis have the blessing/curse of seeming to exhibit self-contradictory characteristics. They are also reputed to be able to see issues from both perspectives, which is often what makes them such good communicators. Up to now, this might not impress you as being very Draco-ish, but here are a few more characteristics of the Gemini that might fit him a little better.

quick-witted, restless, socially popular, attention-loving, exaggerating, sarcastic, talkative, adaptive, intellectual, lively, tense, inconsistent, inquisitive, cunning

It sounds like half of these are Draco and half of them aren't. Which is often how I tend to percieve Astrology. Who knows how much JKR takes character's astrological signs into account?

Also, just to help me out, where on her website can you find these birthday announcements? As I've got a birthday coming up, I'd like to see if I share it with anyone in the HP world! *EDIT: Just kidding! I found it. It figures that I could not find something that was in plain sight!

Lina - Jun 5, 2005 1:54 pm (#2714 of 2930)

lemonbalm&bees, I like your explanation because I could match my idea of the "Draco's detour" chapter. I have a friend who is Gemini. We were the worst enemies for a while and then all of the sudden, we became good friends. I have no idea how it happened, but it happened and we remained good and dear friends forever. Now, If we add that I am astrological Leo...

Delightful Task! - Jun 5, 2005 3:30 pm (#2715 of 2930)

Happy Birthday... Draco!?! hehe!!! JKR must be laughing out loud to see how puzzled we all are!

And of course, the same idea came to my mind Septentrion! Now, can we still say that only the birthdays of "good characters" are celebrated and what should we think of Snape in that case?!! Or does it mean that Draco, like Snape will turn out to be on the side of good? Hummm, I find this very unsettling! Anyway, I agree with you too Lina, Draco is g still a child _ not for a long time now I suppose, and yet... He still could change. Snape did after all, or ... did he?!

Gina R Snape - Jun 6, 2005 7:53 am (#2716 of 2930)

I can see Draco as a gemini. Geminis are gregarious people who draw a crowd around them. They tend to have a public face and a lurking personality that rears its head in sharp contrast.

I definitely see this in Draco. In his case, he has the 'evil' thing going, the bravado and privilege and smarminess. But his opposite is the coward. I don't think many people besides the trio see Draco's cowardice. Anyway, that's my two knuts.

I'm glad JKR is posting birthdays of people besides Harry's friends and liked associates. I agree that she's just filling the calendar gradually. I am willing to bet we'll get new birthdays as long as the site remains in operation. I wonder if she'll repost birthdays.

Krypt 24 - Jun 6, 2005 10:36 am (#2717 of 2930)

Do you really, honestly believe that a world-famous, impossibly wealthy, extremely busy author (not to mention new mother) takes the time, and has the desire, to lurk around in internet chatrooms? As neat as that might be, I pretty much can't see it happening.

Neville Longbottom - Jun 6, 2005 10:44 am (#2718 of 2930)

Said author already said, that she lurked in the muglenet chatroom. And she knew about some internet rumours, like the "Pillar of Storge" one pretty soon.

Gina R Snape - Jun 6, 2005 11:04 am (#2719 of 2930)

I think she's curious about her fandom, and enjoys seeing what's out there now and again. After all, it's about HER creation. But she doesn't participate as a fan on a regular basis.

Tomoé - Jun 6, 2005 1:59 pm (#2720 of 2930)

I'm happy we got Draco's birthday, now I know he'll be of age for all summer of book 7 while Harry won't. Could lead to interesting plot twist. I believe she gave us his birthday as a fact worthy of mention, plus I believe she want to be as neutral as Dumbledore is (and DD would have wish Draco happy birthday).

Lina - Jun 6, 2005 2:05 pm (#2721 of 2930)

Yes, DD mentioned once that Snape and James had similar relationship as Harry and Draco. If Snape could have moved to the good side, maybe Draco can to? Oh, am I stubborn?

Finn BV - Jun 6, 2005 2:55 pm (#2722 of 2930)

Ooh, that's a good point, Lina! That's not stubborn at all, just… hopeful!

Also, I know you're trying really hard to learn English well, so I'll just make you aware of a common spelling mistake that you made: "maybe Draco can to" should be "maybe Draco can too." "Too" means also, "to" is a preposition, and "two" is the number after 1.

Classicsquid592 - Jun 6, 2005 3:04 pm (#2723 of 2930)

It is probably too late to ask for this, but I have been out of town and I completely missed the answer to the FAQ poll question, and now I can't find the answer anywhere on her site. Can anyone tell me exactly what the answer was? I've seen alot of speculation based on it, but the answer itself was never posted.

GryffEndora - Jun 6, 2005 3:19 pm (#2724 of 2930)

Classicsquid592 - It is probably too late to ask for this, but I have been out of town and I completely missed the answer to the FAQ poll question, and now I can't find the answer anywhere on her site. Can anyone tell me exactly what the answer was? I've seen alot of speculation based on it, but the answer itself was never posted.

It's very far down on the first page of answers in FAQ, About the Books. Seriously, you have to scroll down quite far to get to it but it is there.

Delightful Task! - Jun 6, 2005 3:24 pm (#2725 of 2930)

Classicsquid592, have a look at : FAQ, about the books, page one, but down on the list of questions (after "Godric's hollow,: street house tree...?"). It's all there!

Ok, Lina, you're right... it might be possible!!! (I'm kidding! Of course, I agree with you!)

And Tomoé, I like your idea about DD wishing a happy birthday to Draco ... This could be linked to the fact that Draco is still considered as a child or at least a teenager, who can change very suddenly and with no obvious reason... (just a few days ago one of my students who had had dreadlocks for two years, came back with a very nice, short and clean haircut!! And I'm dead certain it's not because of his mother! ) It's all about choices again, and it would be cruel to say that it's already too late for Draco...

Edit: Oops GrynffEndora, we cross posted!

Tomoé - Jun 6, 2005 3:28 pm (#2726 of 2930)

I really don't see dumbledore not saying Happy Birthday to anyone, even Voldemort, if he happen to met them on their birthday (sure it would get on Voldemort's nerves ^_~).

Delightful Task! - Jun 6, 2005 3:34 pm (#2727 of 2930)

Thanks for making me laugh today Tomoé! I needed to!

GryffEndora - Jun 6, 2005 3:38 pm (#2728 of 2930)

Oh no, Tomoe, I think DD would wish "Tom" Happy Birthday and that would irk Voldemort to no end, to have this first mortal birth celebrated. I wonder if he thinks of his rebodification day as his new birthday?

She may put many birthdays on the calendar but I just can't see a bright pink birthday cake and candles with a "Happy Birthday Lord Voldemort!" or even a "Happy Birthday Tom Riddle". Maybe Lucius, maybe even Bella but not LV. Would be interesting if we get Nagini's birthday though.

Tomoé - Jun 6, 2005 3:43 pm (#2729 of 2930)

I think Dumbledore would say "Happy Birthday, Tom!", too, GryffEndora. As for Voldemort's rebodification day, it was on June 24th.

The giant squid - Jun 7, 2005 2:01 am (#2730 of 2930)

I don't know, GryffEndora...I could see her wishing Tom a happy birthday--like Dumbledore, she acknowledges everyone (and without Tom/LV, she wouldn't have a series, now would she?). I don't think the bright pink birthday cake would do, though...maybe something darker, with burnt out candles perhaps.

--Mike

mooncalf - Jun 7, 2005 10:30 pm (#2731 of 2930)

Perhaps with a Dark Mark in green icing on the top?

Kerrie-Louise - Jun 8, 2005 12:18 am (#2732 of 2930)

Mint flavored??

Johninboro - Jun 8, 2005 6:26 am (#2733 of 2930)

What house was Tom Riddle in please? anybody know?

Betelgeuse Black - Jun 8, 2005 6:39 am (#2734 of 2930)

Tom Riddle was in Slytherin.

Betelgeuse

Mare - Jun 8, 2005 6:39 am (#2735 of 2930)

Tom Riddle is a slytherin, John.

Edit: doubleposted, nevermind

Chard11 - Jun 9, 2005 8:13 am (#2736 of 2930)

I don't know if this has been said before but if you have all 7 Easter eggs and you look in the scrap book, it comes up with the following:

Ancient Drawings (page 1)

Ancient Drawings (page 2)

Ancient Drawings (page 3)

Ancient Drawings (page 4)

First Typed Manuscript of Philosophers Stone

Very Early Page of Philosophers Stone

Page of doodlings (page 2)

Where is page of doodlings (page 1)? and do you think it's an Easter egg that has not been discovered yet?

Also, I noticed that when Peeves and the doxy come past, not only does the marble glow but the watch next to the newspaper does as well and then the face changes. Has anyone else noticed this?

Madame Kulich - Jun 9, 2005 8:15 am (#2737 of 2930)

Yes, the Page 1 doodlings, watch face glowing have been discussed but we haven't come up with anything yet.

Grindylow - Jun 9, 2005 8:16 am (#2738 of 2930)

Yes, I have. I don't have the marble anymore, but the face of the watch changes and lights up.

skh - Jun 9, 2005 8:23 am (#2739 of 2930)

You don't have the marble anymore because you clicked it when it glowed to get an Easter Egg - although I can't remember which one you get when you do that. The info is posted on here though, if you search.

Sarah

Grindylow - Jun 9, 2005 8:33 am (#2740 of 2930)

Right...I remember that. Thanks Sarah.

I would like it if she gave us the other page of doodlings, I think?

frogface - Jun 9, 2005 9:30 am (#2741 of 2930)

How do you get the marble to light up? I've tried waiting but nothing happens.

Grindylow - Jun 9, 2005 9:38 am (#2742 of 2930)

frog face...you have to wait until Peeves blows through and when it glows, you have to click it. It doesn't glow for long, so you have to be QUICK!

Nolifeonvenus - Jun 9, 2005 10:30 am (#2743 of 2930)

I don't know if this idea new or it's been discussed already. Before JKR wished Draco a happy birthday I couldn't imagine him not being on "evil" side. Now I think something could happen to him that changed him so he became a good character. What if it was Harry saving Draco's life somehow? Of course he could still hate Harry, even more (like Snape still hates James), but maybe not. Anyway it would make Harry-Draco relationship even more dramatic and complex So what do you think about it? Sorry, if this idea isn't new

Lina - Jun 9, 2005 2:29 pm (#2744 of 2930)

NoLifeOnVenus, you know, there is a chapter title Draco's detour in the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince book. Unfortunately, we will have to wait until July 16 to read it. I have a theory on that matter that you could find on several posts on this thread, earlier.

Now, I'm just running off to some other threads before other members start throwing dungbombs my way.

So Sirius - Jun 9, 2005 4:05 pm (#2745 of 2930)

Does anyone know how to get the answers to her last poll questions? Mine have disappeared, since I voted for the new poll and I was watching POA again and thinking about the opening song and I remember her mentioning something regarding Mcbeth and I think there may be a big clue in that, for HBP. But I don't know how to get that answer.

Neville Longbottom - Jun 9, 2005 4:11 pm (#2746 of 2930)

What if it was Harry saving Draco's life somehow?

While it isn't impossible, I would find the whole "saving you enemy" thing overdone. James saved Snape, Harry saved Peter, Harry saved Dudley. I don't think JKR can make this with every character.

GryffEndora - Jun 9, 2005 6:42 pm (#2747 of 2930)

Very Sirius - is is quite a way down the first page of answers in the FAQ - About the books.

So Sirius - Jun 9, 2005 7:39 pm (#2748 of 2930)

GryffEndora , thanks!!!

Tomoé - Jun 10, 2005 9:09 am (#2749 of 2930)
"
Edited Jun 10, 2005 9:43 am
NoLifeOnVenus -> What if it was Harry saving Draco's life somehow?

Wouldn't the other way around be more original and surprising? (Draco saving Harry) We already know Harry have a saving people thing and would save Draco's life if he happen to be in danger anyway.

Netherlandic - Jun 10, 2005 9:14 am (#2750 of 2930)

Ooh. I would like that. Draco saving Harry.
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2751 to 2800 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:37 pm

dobbyiscool - Jun 10, 2005 12:43 pm (#2751 of 2930)

That would be good. He could save Harry's life, and then find it hard to live with himself afterwards. He'd be a disgrace to his family and a hero in the wizarding world all at the same time. I wonder how his father would react to the press?

Nolifeonvenus - Jun 10, 2005 7:44 pm (#2752 of 2930)

Tomoé,dobbyiscool -- I agree that would be much more interesting and unexpected (well, we can't really say unexpected now )

Johninboro - Jun 11, 2005 1:59 pm (#2753 of 2930)

Ohhh...I remember AGES ago when the site first came up when you went through the ROR door (when u had to wait for Peeves to bring the keys) we got awarded a page of something. now that was on my other PC and I can't remember what it was. Wonder if that was the page 1 that we can't find? Anyone still got it as I go everthing else but that page?

Lina - Jun 11, 2005 2:06 pm (#2754 of 2930)

Johninboro, click on the "To top" link that is on every page of the thread. That will lead you to the starting post of this thread and I think that there is explained what you are looking for. I would advice everybody to check that post because many questions are answered there.

skh - Jun 13, 2005 8:25 am (#2755 of 2930)

Johinboro, you're not missing Pg 1, as we've never got one. As Lina suggests, you can follow the starting thread to find what you are missing.

Sarah

Tomoé - Jun 14, 2005 12:58 pm (#2756 of 2930)

I was looking through the questions for JKR on TLC and found a excellent one, db7_hp asked if Dumbledore could be born on February 29th. We won't know until 2008, but it would be great to have a character born on February 29th (Dumbledore or someone else).

GryffEndora - Jun 14, 2005 1:29 pm (#2757 of 2930)

If so is he really 150 years old or 600?

Tomoé - Jun 14, 2005 1:31 pm (#2758 of 2930)

LOL! he would be 150 years old anyway, because a year last 365 days, but he could have had 37 birthdays. ^_~

GryffEndora - Jun 14, 2005 1:33 pm (#2759 of 2930)

LOL! Oh, sure! Use logic! Great response!

Tomoé - Jun 14, 2005 1:50 pm (#2760 of 2930)

Completely out topic, but anyone remember the wording of the pun in that 80's pirate movie? (I can't remember the title, it was a British one if my memory serve me well)

vball man - Jun 14, 2005 4:21 pm (#2761 of 2930)

It's from Pirates of Penzance! And if you mean 1880, then you're right on!!

SOLOS, TRIO AND CHANT: When you had left our pirate fold

RUTH: When you had left our pirate fold, We tried to raise our spirits faint, According to our custom old, With quips and quibbles quaint. But all in vain the quips we heard, We lay and sobbed upon the rocks, Until to somebody occurred A startling paradox.

FREDERIC: A paradox?

RUTH: (laughing) A paradox! A most ingenious paradox! We've quips and quibbles heard in flocks, But none to beat this paradox! A paradox, a paradox, A most ingenious paradox! Ha! ha! ha! ha! Ha! ha! ha! ha!

KING: We knew your taste for curious quips, For cranks and contradictions queer; And with the laughter on our lips, We wished you there to hear. We said, "If we could tell it him, How Frederic would the joke enjoy!" And so we've risked both life and limb To tell it to our boy.

FREDERIC: That paradox?

KING: (laughing) That paradox, That most ingenious paradox! We've quips and quibbles heard in flocks, But none to beat this paradox! A paradox, a paradox, A most ingenious paradox! Ha! ha! ha! ha! Ha! ha! ha! ha!

KING: (chant): For some ridiculous reason, to which, however, I've no desire to be disloyal, Some person in authority, I don't know who, very likely the Astronomer Royal, Has decided that, although for such a beastly month as February, twenty-eight days as a rule are plenty, One year in every four his days shall be reckoned as nine and-twenty. Through some singular coincidence-- I shouldn't be surprised if it were owing to the agency of an ill- natured fairy-- You are the victim of this clumsy arrangement, having been born in leap-year, on the twenty-ninth of February; And so, by a simple arithmetical process, you'll easily discover, That though you've lived twenty-one years, yet, if we go by birthdays, you're only five and a little bit over!

RUTH: Ha! ha! ha! ha!

KING: Ho! ho! ho! ho!

FREDERIC: Dear me! Let's see! (counting on fingers) Yes, yes; with yours my figures do agree!

ALL: Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!

FREDERIC: (more amused than any) How quaint the ways of Paradox! At common sense she gaily mocks! Though counting in the usual way, Years twenty-one I've been alive, Yet, reck'ning by my natal day, Yet, reck'ning by my natal day, I am a little boy of five!

RUTH/KING: He is a little boy of five! Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!

ALL: A paradox, a paradox, A most ingenious paradox! Ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! , etc.

(RUTH and KING throw themselves back on seats, exhausted with laughter)

FREDERIC: Upon my word, this is most curious-- most absurdly whimsical. Five-and-a-quarter! No one would think it to look at me!

------------Sorry for posting the whole thing, but I LOVE Gilbert and Sullivan!----------

Tomoé - Jun 14, 2005 4:56 pm (#2762 of 2930)

Pirates of Penzance, it's not the one I was thinking of but that's definitely were the idea came from. I did another research and found the title of my movie: The Pirate Movie, 1982 from Australia.

Here's a poster of the movie.

Anyway, thanks a lot, vball man, I get a new pun from that movie. ^_^

Potterhead - Jun 14, 2005 6:26 pm (#2763 of 2930)

Kristy McNichol and Christopher Atkins - what a blast from the past. It was a "remake" of Pirates, though I don't remember if they actually had the music and singing from the original. In the end, it's all Gilbert and Sullivan.

lkb - Jun 15, 2005 11:01 am (#2764 of 2930)

oh my gosh....How in the world did you know those lines? Wow...I must say...Wow.

Any who, does anyone get the impression that we will get the answer for the faq before the release date? Or do you think that she will just say, read the book...the answer is in there?

Lkb

Tomoé - Jun 15, 2005 11:08 am (#2765 of 2930)

I believe we will get the answer before the book come out, I'm hoping for July 1st.

vball man - Jun 15, 2005 11:43 am (#2766 of 2930)

OT, but I'm pretty sure that "The Pirate Movie" strayed from Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta quite a bit.

There was another one, with Linda Rondstat, Kevin Kline (awesome) and Angela Landsbury that was pretty good. It used the original score (plus one song from Ruddigore, I think). And it used a lot of Joseph Papp's stage directions.

GryffEndora - Jun 15, 2005 11:49 am (#2767 of 2930)

I agree with Tomoe that we will get the answer before the book comes out; although I was hoping for the 16th, a month before the release date, but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking. If the Katie Couric interview doesn't air until the week of the 11th of July, as reported on Leaky, it's possible she wont answer until much closer to publication though.

*edit: and vball man, I LOVE Kevin Kline in Pirates of Penzance!!! It's a great film!

bella - Jun 15, 2005 4:14 pm (#2768 of 2930)

Tomorrow eh? That would be exciting! I think the communication question is a fair one to win and may be the only one we don't get a specific answer to on July 16. Then again, they all seem like they should be answered within the series at some point and I wouldn't be all that surprised if JKR just waited until the release to answer.

Potterhead - Jun 15, 2005 6:44 pm (#2769 of 2930)

vball man - now you mention it, I think I was morphing those two in my head - I remember Angela Lansbury being really great, of course.

Magical Max - Jun 16, 2005 2:01 am (#2770 of 2930)

I think we better put a stop to the pirates discussion as it is straying from the topic. However I will say that "The Pirate Movie" is avaliable in Australia in DVD . Goto [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] It sells for $19.95 AUD ( $13.91 USD ) And yes, there are some original G & S songs still in the film.

1 month to go - the end is in sight !!

dizzy lizzy - Jun 16, 2005 3:16 am (#2771 of 2930)

Another Aussie!!!! *falls down in a great big heap in surprise*

Lizzy

Sorry its OT, couldn't resist

Good Evans - Jun 16, 2005 12:03 pm (#2772 of 2930)

Rats - one month today and still the room of requirement is locked. I felt so sure we would have something today, rats and double rats!!

Elanor - Jun 16, 2005 12:09 pm (#2773 of 2930)

Well, there is still the summer solstice to come... The door opened for the winter solstice to reveal the announcement of the HBP release date, lets hope the summer one will do even better! **please Jo, please**

S.E. Jones - Jun 16, 2005 2:57 pm (#2774 of 2930)

Let's get off the pirate movies and onto the subject of JKR's site, please...

Aurora Gubbins - Jun 16, 2005 4:21 pm (#2775 of 2930)

Oh Yes! Let's forget about pirates and get onto wizards and witches. A little treat (like the door opening again) in time for Summer Solstice would be most excellent! Should be any minute now then...

Aurora xx

Magical Max - Jun 17, 2005 5:49 am (#2776 of 2930)

What summer solstice ? It's winter in the Land Down Under. Although curling up in front of a heater with a mug of Butterbeer and a copy of the HBP would be a nice, cosy way of spending an evening.

Round Pink Spider - Jun 17, 2005 8:03 am (#2777 of 2930)

Awwwww, Elanor, here I was, just coming to remind people to watch for the magic door to open on the solstice, and you beat me to it. (Goes off to sit in her web and sulk.)

MM, I guess it's the Winter solstice for you. But in Scotland, the Summer Solstice is coming up. Here's the pertinent info for you door-watchers:

The Solstice is on June 21st this year. It actually occurs at 6:46 AM GMT (Greenwich time), 1:46 AM EST (2:46 AM right now on Daylight Savings). I didn't check on the Winter Solstice to see if it opened at the moment of the solstice, or just on midnight in Scotland on the day of the solstice.

Order of the Phoenix -- released on the Summer Solstice

Release date of Half-Blood Prince -- announced on the Winter Solstice

If it opens, it should be the last time before the release of the book, so I'll bet it'll be something juicy!

riotgrrrl - Jun 17, 2005 9:05 am (#2778 of 2930)

I believe the prediction that the door would open on the Summer Solstice has been made previously, and many of us agree!

Mrs Brisbee - Jun 17, 2005 11:42 am (#2779 of 2930)

I wonder what she could put behind the door though, with the release of HBP only a month away. Maybe a teaser, like the opening paragraph of the book? That would be great, but I wouldn't want a spoiler from middle or end. I think I'll just avoid her web page, and peek on this thread come June 21 to see if anything happened.

GryffEndora - Jun 17, 2005 11:49 am (#2780 of 2930)

I would also love some text from the book, OotP had the opening sentence and a sentence from the end as well. I would love that!!! I am now anxiously awaiting the summer solstice!

Tomoé - Jun 17, 2005 12:08 pm (#2781 of 2930)

*Tomoé checks all her HP books*

All the final sentences are spoiller free, and 4 opening sentences are spoiller free as well, though the one from GoF clearly indicate we are with Voldemort without giving much away. So why not.

GryffEndora - Jun 17, 2005 12:17 pm (#2782 of 2930)

The sentences were the opening one and DD telling Harry he was going to tell him everything. So spoiler free but a hint at something we had been waiting for.

Miriam Huber - Jun 17, 2005 2:58 pm (#2783 of 2930)

I am not sure that the opening sentences of HBP wouldn´t be a huge spoiler. Remember, that first chapter was "in the brewing for almost thirteen years" and she tried it first in PS and then in several other books. That means HBP will NOT start in Privet Drive on Harry´s holiday, but almost certainly in the past and almost certainly anywhere else. I am SO curious about that first chapter!

Julia. - Jun 17, 2005 3:49 pm (#2784 of 2930)

Perhaps I'm making this up, but I seem to remember hearing some text of OoP before it came out. The ones GryffEndora mentioned, but I'm also almost positive we also got Harry's arrival at 12 GP.

Mrs Brisbee - Jun 17, 2005 4:13 pm (#2785 of 2930)

I thought the OotP quote from Dumbledore was a bit of a spoiler. I knew he would make it through the battle with Voldemort fine because he hadn't said it yet, which kind of annoyed me. I wouldn't mind the first sentence of HBP even if it does contain giveaway information, because it will be the first thing I read when I get the book anyway.

I Am Used Vlad - Jun 17, 2005 5:26 pm (#2786 of 2930)

Julia, if I remember correctly, there was a passage about Harry maybe being expelled released before the book came out. You are not making it up.

Doris Crockford - Jun 17, 2005 7:16 pm (#2787 of 2930)

In my local newspaper, we got the passage where Harry first meets Ron and Hermione at Grimmauld Place before OotP came out. I wonder if we'll get another quote of that length (a few paragraphs), or if we'll have to live with the quote describing that man. I hope we get a longer excerpt, and that she reveals it on her website, as I only get the newspaper on Saturday and might miss it if she puts it in newspapers again.

S.E. Jones - Jun 17, 2005 7:40 pm (#2788 of 2930)

The two official 'sneek peeks' at OotP weren't really spoilers, though, because we didn't know exactly when in the book they took place. We knew one was from the beginning as it mentioned the summer, but the other passage could've come from anywhere, and I seem to recall we had great fun trying to figure out where and when it would happen. I'm hoping for something along those lines for HBP. We won't know when, in the book, it takes place but will have a blast trying to figure it out!

Ginerva Potter - Jun 17, 2005 9:56 pm (#2789 of 2930)

AAAHHHHH!!!! 27 days, 27 days, 27 days!!! I don't think I can take it anymore!!!!!!!!! ACCIO HBP!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Ginny

Chemyst - Jun 17, 2005 10:13 pm (#2790 of 2930)

In the forum archives, there is a thread called Warning! Read This Before Posting Anything from Book 5! which contained the threat of trip to Mr. Filch's office, and talked about the "snippet" previewed ten days before OP was released, (and apparently before Kip found his trademark maroon.) I remember getting an email from my bookstore that used that snippet in their advertising. Now that there is a Rowling website, I think there is a very good chance they will use it to promote the HBP book. It would be bad marketing not to.

Netherlandic - Jun 18, 2005 3:19 am (#2791 of 2930)

Don't be sorry Ginevra. It is the same with me!

frogface - Jun 18, 2005 3:31 am (#2792 of 2930)

I remember reading that "I'm going to tell you everything" quote and getting really excited because I knew that he was going to explain the question he wouldn't answer Harry in book one! So I rushed through the whole of OotP only to find it was right near the end! How annoying. So I don't plan to rush HBP this time, I'm going to read it at a normal rate...yeah right.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jun 18, 2005 5:51 am (#2793 of 2930)

Frogface I'm not sure I can help myself but to rush through it. I'm planning on a quick read then a much slower appreciative reread. Only four more weeks and we will know. LPO

Thora - Jun 18, 2005 3:58 pm (#2794 of 2930)

I recall thinking we'd have the book for the solstice, alas earwax. I to am expecting something on that date in the way of a surprise, the mysterious page one perhaps?

I'm sure she will taunt us with just enough information to raise the acid level in my stomache. Hmmmm... perhaps stock in antacids is a good idea. 27 days, 5 hours, can I survive it?

Thora

frogface - Jun 19, 2005 2:10 am (#2795 of 2930)

Ah but remember back in the days of there still being more than a 100 days left? We're almost there guys! Hang on!

Ginerva Potter - Jun 19, 2005 8:10 am (#2796 of 2930)

It is soooo close now I can taste it....I've done really good about being patient, but now that we are in the home stretch, suddenly I'm ansy, I've got Harry Potter on the brain constantly, I can't believe we are so close!!!!!!!!AAHH, HBP!!!!

Ginny

Sadie - Jun 19, 2005 5:03 pm (#2797 of 2930)

I am dying here too. So soon I can taste it, yet soooo far away.

Question: What is the poicy regarding discussing the book here, on her website page, once it is out and in our hands? Do we discuss it here (albeit warning about spoilers), or elsewhere?

riotgrrrl - Jun 19, 2005 6:39 pm (#2798 of 2930)

I am guessing that there will be a new thread started as soon as it hits the shelves so those of us in a much later time zone don't accidentally read any spoilers.

Mare - Jun 19, 2005 7:10 pm (#2799 of 2930)

The last details of what will happen when HBP will be released are still being discussed. But rest asured, we will tell you in time what the plans are and when and where you can discuss your new favourite book!
I don't think it will be on this specific thread though, since this is about the webpage and not about the book.

riotgrrrl - Jun 20, 2005 7:26 am (#2800 of 2930)

Fingers and toes crossed for an update tomorrow!!! (Even though it's already summer here in Texas.)
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2801 to 2850 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jun 20, 2005 10:49 am (#2801 of 2930)

I'm going to be at a conference. I hope I can gain access to the Internet to check and see. It is a Technology In Education conference. Surely I will be able to surf some! LPO

Thora - Jun 20, 2005 6:42 pm (#2802 of 2930)

The door is still closed, we usually get updates mid morning UK time right? So we've got a few more hours before we have to give up hope.

Thora

Elanor - Jun 20, 2005 10:03 pm (#2803 of 2930)

It is Tuesday morning here and the door is still closed but the day just begins... And, as we say here: "tomorrow's not dead!".

The 24th can also be an interesting date, it will be Midsummer and it would be a very nice bonfire she would lit by making the door open in the night... So, I won't give up hope before the 25th!

Personally, I would lover her to open it on the 23rd because it is my name day, though I really don't see why she would celebrate St Audrey's day! LOL! Well, one can dream...

Kerrie-Louise - Jun 21, 2005 4:16 am (#2804 of 2930)

Well it's Tuesday 12.15 in the afternoon here in the UK and I'm afraid I have nothing to report on. Can't see anything new, although the extra's page did take a long time to load! Sorry I couldn't report good news!

bella - Jun 21, 2005 9:01 am (#2805 of 2930)

I seem to be having a really tough time getting onto the site, anyone else having this problem? I tried the American and UK sites and they are both taking forever.

GryffEndora - Jun 21, 2005 9:10 am (#2806 of 2930)

I just checked and I got in fine and the Do Not Disturb is still on the door.

applepie - Jun 21, 2005 9:22 am (#2807 of 2930)

Same thing for me, GryffEndora. Do Not Disturb sign on the door, but no trouble getting into the site.

Scarlet Seer - Jun 21, 2005 9:25 am (#2808 of 2930)

Maybe she's revealed everything she can without giving away too much of the plot. Or maybe she just has a diabolical sense of humor and she's at home laughing at our anguished cries.

applepie - Jun 21, 2005 9:27 am (#2809 of 2930)

Probably the latter of the two.

Aqualu Nifey - Jun 21, 2005 10:51 am (#2810 of 2930)

24 days, 13 hours, and 15 minutes... 14 minutes....

I NEED IT! We had two I think of the spoilers by now with OotP. I would pay just to have a snippet of Hermione nagging Ron.

Herm oh ninny - Jun 21, 2005 12:41 pm (#2811 of 2930)

Is anyone else having trouble getting on to the uk site? I have been trying all day and it won't load up. Dare I hope that an update is in progress?

GryffEndora - Jun 21, 2005 12:56 pm (#2812 of 2930)

Herm oh ninny - Unfortunately the US site is loading fine for me and there have been no updates. I suggest you try shutting the computer down and restarting and seeing if that helps the site load better.

Tomoé - Jun 21, 2005 1:28 pm (#2813 of 2930)

I have no problem with jkrowling.co.uk, everything works as it should, no updates.

bella - Jun 21, 2005 4:45 pm (#2814 of 2930)

I was able to access the US site, but still can't get onto the UK site. Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Gina R Snape - Jun 21, 2005 5:42 pm (#2815 of 2930)

Summer solstice and no update. Waaaah.

I hope she answers the poll before the book comes out!

btw, how lucky do I feel, having heard she'll be speaking to the people at the B&N in NYC in Union Square. You KNOW I'll be there!!!

Herm oh ninny - Jun 22, 2005 8:26 am (#2816 of 2930)

Gina, when is she supposed to be there? I live in NJ and I definately would like to come!! Oh, the uk site is finally working for me but, alas, no updates

GryffEndora - Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am (#2817 of 2930)

Herm oh ninny, I think there is info on Leaky about the live broadcast she will be doing from Scotland that will be simulcast to all Barnes & Noble stores.

Well, the solstice has come & gone and nothing behind the door. The next day I will be looking for is the 24th because I think all of the Tri-wizard tasks were on the 24th weren't they? Anyway I'm trying to be positive and hopeful! Take care everybody!

Helen Potterfan - Jun 22, 2005 11:23 am (#2818 of 2930)

Herm oh ninny, The announcement said that Jo's message will be live from Scotland and will be broadcast at the Barnes and Noble Store in Union Square. This is also the store where Jim Dale (the narrator of the audio recordings) will be hosting the release party. The notice doesn't say that all BN stores will broadcast JKR's message. You can see the TLC story here and the press release here. The broadcast will be at 7:20 on the 15th and Jim Dale will be there from 10-12. I'll definitely be there! Helen

Gina R Snape - Jun 22, 2005 11:24 am (#2819 of 2930)

My understanding is that it will only be broadcasted to the B&N on Union Square in NYC. That was the release I read. But I could be wrong.

Edit: Sorry! I posted the same time as Accio HBP, who gave a far better answer with links. Accio, we should pick a time and place to meet beforehand if we want to find each other, I should think.

GryffEndora - Jun 22, 2005 11:24 am (#2820 of 2930)

Oops, thanks Accio HBP.

Helen Potterfan - Jun 22, 2005 8:03 pm (#2821 of 2930)

GryffEndora, no problem. Gina, we should definitely meet beforehand, maybe somewhere near Union Square.

I, too, am disappointed that the door did not open. I had hoped that we would get a couple of lines from the beginning of the book. Maybe we still will. I'm also a little afraid that we've doomed ourselves with the poll because we chose the answer that won't be answered by book 6, so there's no hurry to answer the question before the book is released. But I'd rather have that answer than one I can discover for myself in 23 days, 56 minutes, and 31 seconds (not that I'm counting down or anything Wink!

Elanor - Jun 22, 2005 10:20 pm (#2822 of 2930)

I still hope it will open tonight or the night after. June 24th was a very important date once. I think you call it "Midsummer", here it is "St John of Summer". Bonfires were lit during the night (and still are sometimes) because it was a solar feast from time immemorial. It was also during that night that the best medicinal plants were traditionally cut, they were called "the simples". A very magical night indeed... So, I'll wait till the 25th to give up hope!

BTW, it is June 23rd today and I've checked if Dudley's birthday would be celebrated on the site and it is not. So, either his birthday is not on the 23rd, either muggles' birthdays are not celebrated on the site, what do you think?

bella - Jun 23, 2005 8:44 am (#2823 of 2930)

If we're going by the survival rule that could mean nasty things for Dudders.

zaaaach - Jun 23, 2005 8:34 pm (#2824 of 2930)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before but Mrs. Rowling may have left us the answer to how the Order of the Phoenix communicate cleverly hidden in "The Latest Rumours" section, check out the 10/12/04 Rumors post entitled "The Order of the Phoenix communicates using chocolate frog cards."

I know the answer to the question is coming up soon, next time she answers the poll question, but I'm hitting the books to see if i can find it. Let me know if anyone has mentioned this before or already knows the answer.

S.E. Jones - Jun 23, 2005 9:05 pm (#2825 of 2930)

I'm thinking that they communicate with a spell or some sort. Remember when Dumbledore wanted to fetch Hagrid in GF? He sent a silvery something out of his wand, and Hagrid came ready for trouble.

JKR answered the 'frog card' rumor with this:

"The Order communicates in a way that requires nothing but a wand. You saw the Order’s method of communication in use even before you knew about the existence of the Order; it was employed by an Order member."

To have seen it prior to knowing about the Order, we would've had to seen it prior to the end of GF. It would also have to involve a wand and an Order member, which the scene I describe did.

skh - Jun 24, 2005 1:01 am (#2826 of 2930)

Is that not the very scene that has given rise to the supposition that the silvery stuff is some form of patronus at work?

Herm oh ninny - Jun 24, 2005 6:58 am (#2827 of 2930)

Gina and Accio, thank you very much for the info and the links about the Union Square broadcast. Alas, my sisters and I have already reserved our copies at a Barnes & Nobles here in NJ. While checking to see if the door was open, I noticed the candle burning in the mirror. Has that always been there? Maybe I'm so desperate to find something new that I'm imagining it, but for some reason it looks different to me. Am I just being paranoid?

Mrdrama - Jun 24, 2005 7:10 am (#2828 of 2930)

Herm oh ninny-

Unfortunately for us all, the candle in the mirror has been there at least since Christmas. The waiting continues. . . .

Gina R Snape - Jun 24, 2005 8:06 am (#2829 of 2930)

Herm oh ninny, you're welcome for the info. B&N will not do anything to you if you don't show up for your book in NJ. So the option to come to Union Square in Manhattan is still open. Just so you know, a number of forum people (both active and, er, less active people you may not know) will be there. You can email me privately if you'd like to be part of our effort to organise meeting up.

As for the candle in the window, yeah, it's been there...

Madam Pince - Jun 24, 2005 11:44 am (#2830 of 2930)

Thanks for that post, Sarah, about the answer to the chocolate frog card thing. I don't know why, but for some reason I had an idea in my head about their communication being linked to the flaming Fawkes' feather that appeared in mid-air when Fawkes was looking out for Umbridge, but maybe that was just Fawkes' means of communication rather than the Order's.

Oh fiddlesticks, I'm too tired to go through every page prior to the end of GoF and look for scenes with Order members with wands.... I think I'll just wait and be surprised. Hey, it'll be like Christmas morning or something!

Magical Max - Jun 25, 2005 7:16 am (#2831 of 2930)

True, but on Christmass Eve, how many of us can resist sneaking up to the tree and giving our presents a little shake

If JKR is going to answer the FAQ poll, it will have to be very soon as the week or so leading up to the HBP official release will be very hectic for her.

Netherlandic - Jun 26, 2005 8:10 am (#2832 of 2930)

The method of communication is very likely shooting something silvery out of the wand like a ghostly bird (not the exact quote) as is described in book IV when Dumbledore summons Hagrid to come and bring Harry back to the castle after he has met Crouch senior. There is an entire tread for this discussion ( I have been pointed there also).

Mare - Jun 26, 2005 8:41 am (#2833 of 2930)

Netherlandic, I tried to find this thread to link to it for you. But I can't find it.

I know Madam Pomfrey told you that the subject has allready been discussed on this forum on the Order of the Phoenix thread, (not so strange, I truly believe that there isn't a word in the books that hasn't been discussed on this forum...) but I'm not sure if there is a specific thread for it. Not sure if it is needed, I think it fits fine on above mentioned thread.

Anyway, if you or anyone else wishes to delve deeper into this subject feel free to open the discussion again. You never know what you come up with!

Netherlandic - Jun 26, 2005 8:59 am (#2834 of 2930)

Marè, too hot for you as well to be outdoors now? Indeed, in my memory at least there was a tread. But as I had nothing more to add to it (others had discovered "my discovery" already) I did not post there. By the way, my goal was not to tell others not to discuss the subject of communication here or there, but to be of service like others did for me. Can't wait for HBP to find out a lot of questions we are asking ourselves now. I suppose we will need a completely refreshed forum after we have all finished the book.

Mare - Jun 26, 2005 9:24 am (#2835 of 2930)

By the way, my goal was not to tell others not to discuss the subject of communication here or there, but to be of service like others did for me.

Don't worry Netherlandic, I understood that and my goal was more or less the same: to dig up a thread with more information, if there was one, just so people could read about previous discussions and thoughts on the subject if they wanted too.

And at least you made a discovery on your own, I always need the members and this forum to point things out to me...
And I'm loving the weather today, going out in a minute!

:Hem Hem: And on topic... these last days are going slow! come on Jo! One tiny bit of information? Two sentences so we have something to fuss about while we wait? Another birthday at least? Whom are we missing anyway?

Netherlandic - Jun 26, 2005 9:37 am (#2836 of 2930)

...waving at Marè...well my skin got burned yesterday when I was on a boat going for one of the isles near where you thought to be a Benelux School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and I got my skin burnt (my face especially ); so I am staying indoors being "red as a lobster". But I will drink a butterbeer on you.

Back on topic. I was really hoping for some new information on JKR's web site on the summer solstice but alas, earwax! I am confident somehow that JKR will give us something to pass these last hard weeks as she must know we are all in agony.

azi - Jun 26, 2005 9:39 am (#2837 of 2930)

I second what Marè said! It might get me off the forum and into reading all the books again! Personally I also believe the FAQ will be answered before the book is released...even if it's the day before! Another birthday would also be nice.

GryffEndora - Jun 26, 2005 10:45 am (#2838 of 2930)

Well, we know for sure we will have a new wizard of the month in the coming week if nothing else. . . though I'd love the FAQ answer and maybe a sentence from the book behind the door before the 16th.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jun 26, 2005 2:34 pm (#2839 of 2930)

Poor Jo, we are never satisfied. I shudder to think what will happen to us when book 7 is out. 19 more days!!!! LPO

Aqualu Nifey - Jun 26, 2005 2:55 pm (#2840 of 2930)

Shush! Don't say things like that, LPO!

lkb - Jun 26, 2005 3:23 pm (#2841 of 2930)

I actually have to wait for a few days after the release, I ordered it online and wont get it on the day it comes out...I will have to avoid this site so I won't spoil the new things we learn!

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jun 26, 2005 7:47 pm (#2842 of 2930)

OK Aqualu Nifey, I never said a word. Bummer ikb! LPO

Magical Max - Jun 27, 2005 5:21 am (#2843 of 2930)

Poor lkb. Now if someone could combine online shops with OWL Post - they'd have a winner !! Although Hermes would be a classic case of when the system crashes

Sadie - Jun 27, 2005 6:42 am (#2844 of 2930)

I couldn't stand it anymore and reread Order over the weekend. That actually made it worse because when I finished it, I only wanted more. I check in here everyday before I even read my email! Ikb, I ordered my copy online too and they deliver same day as it comes out (I have done this every year). Why will you have to wait?

lkb - Jun 27, 2005 7:52 am (#2845 of 2930)

I have no clue...when I ordered it I thought that I would get it release day, but then got my conformation email and it stated that it would be shipped the day of release not received on that day...bummer...

Lets just hope that I will be able to stand not being as up to date as the rest of you! Somehow I think that there will be a lag of posts for the two days after the release, then there will be so many that it will take hours for me to read them all!

Please JKR! Give us something in the meantime!

The giant squid - Jun 27, 2005 2:27 pm (#2846 of 2930)

The hosts haven't given their official word on what's going to happen when the book comes out, but they do have a plan in place to help slow readers/those who can't get the book right away from getting spoiled. They should be unveiling it soon, once they've put the finishing touches on it.

--Mike

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 27, 2005 4:18 pm (#2847 of 2930)

Happy Birthday Dobby!

Melly - Jun 27, 2005 5:07 pm (#2848 of 2930)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOBBY!!!

GryffEndora - Jun 27, 2005 5:24 pm (#2849 of 2930)

Happy Birthday Dobby!!! Socks and Butterbeer for everyone!!!

Catherine - Jun 27, 2005 5:45 pm (#2850 of 2930)

Woo hoo!

I share my wedding anniversary with Dobby's Birthday. How nifty.
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2851 to 2900 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:40 pm

lkb - Jun 27, 2005 6:08 pm (#2851 of 2930)

Dobby! He is probably one of the ones that I would not have thought we would get a birthday on! Sorry Dobby, its not that you are not important! Very cool that she put that one up!

LKB

Finn BV - Jun 27, 2005 6:13 pm (#2852 of 2930)

Yay! *throws lots of socks up into air* -- The Leaky Cauldron.

This made me laugh. Very much. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DOBBY! I hope Winky isn't too depressed to celebrate. ***winks and a butterbeer and a pair of mismatched socks***

bella - Jun 27, 2005 7:53 pm (#2853 of 2930)

Is Dobby the first non-human to get a birthday wish?

Snuffles - Jun 28, 2005 12:45 am (#2854 of 2930)

Happy Birthday Dobby!

I don't remember any other non-human characters getting a mention. Happy Anniversary Catherine!

IR Waiting - Jun 28, 2005 5:23 am (#2855 of 2930)

Happy B-Day!!!! Dobby!!!! The one being who will kick your butt over a sock. Have a great day all!!!

Herm oh ninny - Jun 28, 2005 7:55 am (#2856 of 2930)

Happy Birthday to our favorite house elf! May you receive a large box of mis-matched socks!!

Tomoé - Jun 28, 2005 8:28 am (#2857 of 2930)

Happy Birthday Dobby!!!

Yes Snuffles, it's the first non-human character to get his birthday. Happy Anniversary Catherine!

lilysmom - Jun 28, 2005 10:50 am (#2858 of 2930)

Happy Birthday Dobby!!!

Loopy Lupin - Jun 28, 2005 11:31 am (#2859 of 2930)

Yay Dobby. (Love that avatar lilysmom)

barbara webb - Jun 28, 2005 6:01 pm (#2860 of 2930)

I missed it! Was it the 27th or 28th of June??? Its only 8:45PM here in Kentucky and there is no Birthday Greeting! What Have I done Wrong? Bat

Herm oh ninny - Jun 28, 2005 6:18 pm (#2861 of 2930)

Barbara, I first saw it up yesterday, on the 27th.

Tomoé - Jun 28, 2005 8:08 pm (#2862 of 2930)

It was written June 28th on the Happy Birthday card

Neville Longbottom - Jun 29, 2005 12:09 am (#2863 of 2930)

Barbara, the birthday greetings are on the website, when it is said date in Britain. Therefore when you looked at 8.45pm your time, it was already June 29th in Britain, and the birthday wish was gone.

barbara webb - Jun 29, 2005 2:51 am (#2864 of 2930)

Thanks,it sure didn't stay on long. Thanks to you all for your help!

Doris Crockford - Jun 29, 2005 9:02 am (#2865 of 2930)

Darn, I've missed Dobby's birthday, as well as the birthdays of about eight Forum members in the past few days. It's interesting that we seem to have passed Dudley's completely.

I was on JKR's website just now, looking for updates (but there aren't any), when the phone on her site rang. I answered it and hung up, then about two seconds later the real phone rang. It was only my mom calling, but I still jumped when the phone rang.

I'm starting to lose hope that we'll get another update before HBP comes out. I don't think she'll update right before the release date, or she'll just figure that we can wait until it comes out.

Catherine - Jun 29, 2005 3:02 pm (#2866 of 2930)

I've tried to get the phone ring to happen, but so far, no luck.

And thanks for the anniversary wishes! You guys are the best!

KWeldon - Jun 29, 2005 7:41 pm (#2867 of 2930)

I don't think she'll update right before the release date, or she'll just figure that we can wait until it comes out.

We'll have to agree to disagree, Doris. I don't see the point of her offering the questions if she is not going to answer them, and what better way to work fans into a frenzy than giving us intriguing questions, making us wait until just before the book is released, and answering them just before we get our pocketbooks out?

I think it's no coincidence that she crafted the questions such that the majority of us would likely pick the question that is not so certain to be answered in HbP (how the Order communicates). Otherwise, it would seem duplicative to have to answer the other two questions right before we're sure to get their answers.

Hollywand - Jun 29, 2005 9:24 pm (#2868 of 2930)

Catherine, to get the phone to ring, you have to wait for a spell after the doxy flutters by. I recommend having another activity going, like balancing your checkbook with the site open and running. About the time you have forgotten about the site, the phone rings and scares the butterbeer out of you. It's a blast!

I wonder if Jo laughs thinking of those who start yelling "hello, hello" at their computer terminal.....

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 29, 2005 9:56 pm (#2869 of 2930)

Hollywood.... you BAD!

And knows us too!

...toddles off for a butterbeer...

So Sirius - Jun 30, 2005 5:51 pm (#2870 of 2930)

New Wizard of the month, Chauncey Oldridge. First known person with Dragon Pox. Interesting. Some have suggested dragons will be featured (Dracos Detour) in the next book.

Mare - Jul 1, 2005 4:02 am (#2871 of 2930)

He doesn't look too good. He looks a tiny bit like a Weasley ancestor though. Wasn't it Hollywand who pointed out all the Weasley-Dragonhide connections. interesting...

Herm oh ninny - Jul 1, 2005 6:59 am (#2872 of 2930)

O.K. I was eating my breakfast when I checked JK's site and I looked at the new wizard of the month Chancey Oldridge. Well I completely lost my appetite! LOL I must say, it looks as though dragon pox can really wear you down!

Ydnam96 - Jul 1, 2005 9:36 am (#2873 of 2930)

Bummer, I was hoping that with the beginning of July we would get a open room of requirement door.

skh - Jul 4, 2005 2:06 am (#2874 of 2930)

Saw the Divene Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood on TV last night... how odd to see Maggie Smith in a non-McGonagall role, was too wierd!

On another note - was reading back over the news section, I was re-reading the old stories. There is an early article, discussig progress on Book 6, where JKR is mentions a chart on her desk with bits of crucial info and clues that she wants to slip into other chapters in an "oh-so-innocent" kinda way! I was thinking - does this chart appear on the "web-desk" on the JKR site anywhere? I was thinking that there appears to be some sort of chart behind the mobile phone - I tried to take a screenshot and blow it up, but it was too blurry...

Any thoughts?

Helen Potterfan - Jul 4, 2005 8:53 pm (#2875 of 2930)

skh, I copied it into photoshop, rotated it, and blew it up as much as I could. Most of it is still illegible, but the top (if it's rotated) says "Houses" underlined. Under that is "Gryffindor" circled with an illegible connected circle. Under that section (separated by a line) is "Hufflepuff". Each of these has a verse beside it. Since the only line I can read says, "Gryffindors apart," they must be the verses to the sorting hat song from SS (PS). Sorry to disappoint you! As much as I'd love to find something new on the site, I think we've scoured every inch of what is on there now.

MickeyCee3948 - Jul 4, 2005 9:08 pm (#2876 of 2930)

Please do a search on the lexicon and I think that you will find that it was discussed at length about 2 thousand posts ago.

Mickey

Tomoé - Jul 4, 2005 11:19 pm (#2877 of 2930)

That's the sorting from Philosopher's Stone.

skh - Jul 5, 2005 1:53 am (#2878 of 2930)

Boo - what a shame! Thanks for your efforts, Accio HBP. Mickey - I know a lot of this stuff has been discussed already, but I guess I was half-hoping some one would see something new / different... Maybe the notes in the rubbish bin that look like a family tree of sorts, perhaps that could be a version of the "map" she mentioned? I doubt it though, as that had only names on it...

Ah well.... fingers crossed that the door opens today, however unlikey!!

MickeyCee3948 - Jul 5, 2005 5:02 pm (#2879 of 2930)

I think we just about exhausted the topic back then. We had blowups of the screen and several hundred posts related to the flow chart. Sorry, I couldn't add any additional insight.

Mickey

bella - Jul 5, 2005 6:09 pm (#2880 of 2930)

Well, I'm starting to think that the answer to the poll question won't come before the release. Thank goodness it's only ten days away! I'm beginning to go a little bonkers.

Lina - Jul 6, 2005 12:06 am (#2881 of 2930)

We could still get the answer the day before the release

frogface - Jul 6, 2005 4:10 am (#2882 of 2930)

That would be a bit cruel I think, but rather funny!

Chard11 - Jul 6, 2005 5:02 am (#2883 of 2930)

We could even get it on the 9th, which would be a week before the release.

dobbyiscool - Jul 6, 2005 9:40 am (#2884 of 2930)

Did anyone notice that all the June B-days are people who's name start with "d"? Dudley, Draco, Dobby...

Grindylow - Jul 6, 2005 10:05 am (#2885 of 2930)

Did she mention Dudley?

dobbyiscool - Jul 6, 2005 10:17 am (#2886 of 2930)

It's on the Lexicon's page on Dudley. His b-day had to be in June, and the best guess is that it was the 23rd.

Grindylow - Jul 6, 2005 10:28 am (#2887 of 2930)

thanks!

Elfcat - Jul 7, 2005 6:50 pm (#2888 of 2930)

Okay: as Thora and I predicted some time ago, I must ask you all to tell me the updates, in full (invisible if you must) For my computer and internet STINK and all I can see are the new rumors, news and FAQ (excluding the poll). If there is anything else, would some kind soul tell me about it?

skh - Jul 8, 2005 2:44 am (#2889 of 2930)

Does the mail at the beginning of this thread not tell all easter eggs / door-opening events that have happened?

Thora - Jul 8, 2005 7:12 am (#2890 of 2930)

Elfcat, I'm so sorry you aren't able to load the site from home. The wizard of the month looks quite a sight and I'm sure you'd get a grin from it. I'm shocked that the FAQ is still inaccessable from the text only version, perhaps we should send a peck of owls.

The FAQ Poll reads as follows:

Will Harry continue to learn Occlumency, whether with Snape or somebody else, in 'Half-Blood Prince?'

Is that the Pensive on the U.S. cover, or something else?

So how DO the members of the Order of the Phoenix communicate with each other?

The OotP communication question is winning with 54%, the Occlumency question has 35% and the Pensive question has 10%.

Other than that, and Dobby's birthday (28th), we are pretty much update free. We've just been talking a lot about a variety of subjects, like our lack of updates for instance. Wink

Feel free to email me if you need a recap anytime, I know the wait time can be really hard with slow internet.

Thora

Edit: I decided to send the following message to Lightmaker from the link on her site, perhaps someone could join my plea:

Just a comment about your wonderful design for JKRowling.com etc. Most of her online fans are able to access the site in full but do you think there is a way to make the FAQ Poll available in the Text only version? I feel bad for the dial up fans, not oly do they miss out on the great graphics, they can't vote! Thanks for the site either way , I love it. Thora

Ann - Jul 8, 2005 8:59 am (#2891 of 2930)

Here's something to look forward to: I predict that the FAQ will be answered on Monday, June 11th. There would be no point in having a poll for the FAQ if Jo weren't planning to answer it before the book comes out, since two of the questions, and probably all three, will be answered by the book when we get it--at which point, answering it would be a spoiler. Also, thus far, the FAQ poll has invariably been answered on a Monday. There's only one Monday between now and the 16th, so that is probably when the question will be answered. It would be good publicity, too--assuming any of us who so avidly follow her website were actually debating whether to buy the book!

I'd forgotten about the question of the birdbath on the US cover. I don't think it can be a pensieve, by the way, since it is said to be covered with runes. I think the cover actually shows the Pillar of Storgé!

So, anyway, I expect we'll have the answers by the 11th, unless she is overwhelmed by unexpected events surrounding the book launch. Or perhaps yesterday's horrible bombing in London may have an effect? I assume it won't affect the launch itself, but it might make the festivities a bit more sombre. What a terrible thing!

amy clay - Jul 8, 2005 11:23 am (#2892 of 2930)

No! Not on the 11th! Some of us in the states are staring down a hurricane or will be by sunday, and will likely be without power or internet monday, if not a little longer. she should answer it today (friday) or saturday, so we don't miss out Wink

GryffEndora - Jul 9, 2005 1:45 pm (#2893 of 2930)

I don't know if you have checked it out yet but the Lexicon has added a section all about Jo's Official Site. You can relive all of the door openings, the puzzles and all here. It's like you get to go back and see what the site was like on that day, on all of her pages. Steve also mentioned a site called PottersKeys.com that is all about finding stuff on Jo's site. I hadn't gotten to go through a door opening before Christmas so I really had fun with it. I hope you have fun with it too.

Lina - Jul 9, 2005 2:09 pm (#2894 of 2930)

Thank you, Griffendora, that was a real discovery!

skh - Jul 11, 2005 2:34 am (#2895 of 2930)

Thanks a million, GryffEndora, that was fab! I had fun re-doing the puzzles (forgot HOW annoying it was clicking for the right key that time!) and as I missed the Christmas one, I was delighted to get the chance to take the test again.

Ann - v disappointed that your theory didn't come true and we didn't get an answer this morning....

Sarah

Thora - Jul 11, 2005 7:58 am (#2896 of 2930)

I'm on the verge of tears here, I'm so happy I got to click the brick wall. I'm going to be a basket case by Friday. Thanks my friend.

Thora

Gina R Snape - Jul 11, 2005 8:52 am (#2897 of 2930)

Eh? What brick wall did you click?

Mare - Jul 11, 2005 9:33 am (#2898 of 2930)

Gina the lexicon has a link where you can relive all the door openings. It's great for all the people who missed some, you can solve all the puzzles again!

Gina R Snape - Jul 11, 2005 10:01 am (#2899 of 2930)

Aaaah, ok. Cute. Somehow I didn't make the connexion.

Snuffles - Jul 11, 2005 12:16 pm (#2900 of 2930)

I clicked on the 5 bricks in order, but nothing happened. Is it me? what did I do wrong?
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JK Rowling Official Site Vol 2 (Posts 2901 to 2930 of 2930)

Post  John Bumbledore on Mon May 09, 2011 11:41 pm

GryffEndora - Jul 11, 2005 12:24 pm (#2901 of 2930)

Snuffles, the page that brought you to the door will also have the solution to the puzzle on it as well.

Snuffles - Jul 11, 2005 12:36 pm (#2902 of 2930)

Thanks GryffEndora. I got so excited that I could open the door again, then seeing the bricks numbered 1-5 I forgot to carry on reading to see what order they had to pressed. Silly me.!! Next time I will read all the passage

Good Evans - Jul 11, 2005 12:55 pm (#2903 of 2930)

I've just done all the puzzles again - had to really think a bit to - its so long ago and I didnt want to cheat and look it up - but I did cheat with the gobb lynn card as I couldn't wait for peeves!!!

what great fun - thanks for posting them as do-able on the site - it was great!

Aurora Gubbins - Jul 12, 2005 4:22 am (#2904 of 2930)

This is fantastic. My son loves to do the puzzles and games, now he can do them all over again! Thanks for the broadcast!

Aurora xx

wolfgrl - Jul 12, 2005 4:48 am (#2905 of 2930)

Very Cool, I had never seen the first one. It was fun to get to do it.

Magnadoodle - Jul 12, 2005 5:03 am (#2906 of 2930)

I am starting to rattle like a dementor I NEED information - even just a little bit..........or even just a time turner to get to midnite on Friday.....is everyone else out there getting butterflies every time they remember its only 3 more sleeps til the book is in our hands.........Accio July 16th

Aurora Gubbins - Jul 12, 2005 6:09 am (#2907 of 2930)

If the opening chapter of HBP was one of the discarded first chapters, perhaps one of the first people on the scene was Hermione's dad? Jo only says that the Potters were relocated to Godric's Hollow, not that Hermione's family were taken out of the chapter altogether. I know there has been some talk of there being someone else at the scene - Maybe it was Mr Grainger and not Snape who was first to discover the bodies.

Incidentally, Pyrites (who didn't make it into the books) wore white silk gloves and was 'a Dandy', well, Phineas Nigellus also wears white silk gloves when mocking Harry at 12GP.

Aurora xx

amy clay - Jul 12, 2005 9:32 am (#2908 of 2930)

it appears none of you will be the first to get the new book:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Zoe kingson - Jul 12, 2005 1:02 pm (#2909 of 2930)

3 more sleeps

That's a wonderful way of thinking about it. I'm so excited I can barely sit still. So, it's midnight on the 15th, right? Like, line up at 10:30 on Friday night? Just to make sure... I definitely don't want to miss it.

Finn BV - Jul 12, 2005 3:12 pm (#2910 of 2930)

Technically, Zoe, it's midnight on the 16th, because midnight is the very first minute of the day. Midnight on the 15th would mean 1 minute after 11:59 PM on the 14th.

You'll make it.

***tries to stop being usual punctual self***

GryffEndora - Jul 12, 2005 3:53 pm (#2911 of 2930)

Actually fbv807 I think Midnight is the last minute of the 15th where 12:01 is the first minute of the 16th. That's why the books are given out at 12:01.

Finn BV - Jul 12, 2005 4:09 pm (#2912 of 2930)

Well, we could keep discussing this, but, no, I have always been offended that the publishers say "12:01 AM" is the first minute of the day, because it's not true. If noon is considered 12PM, then midnight must be considered 12 AM, and it wouldn't make any sense that one minute of each half-day is the opposite AM/PM as everything else. Also, try setting your computer clock to 11:59:50 or something, wait ten seconds, and watch the date change. I hope you don't take this offensively, but I know for a fact midnight is the first minute of each day.

Madam Pince - Jul 12, 2005 4:23 pm (#2913 of 2930)

How 'bout midnight starts the first minute of each new day and ends the last minute of the previous day? Does that suit everybody?

I like the "three sleeps" idea myself....

Penny Lane. - Jul 12, 2005 4:27 pm (#2914 of 2930)

Some of us still tend to take naps in the middle of the day.. so it's more like 5 sleeps left for me - but less waiting time. Maybe. I do stay up later than normal people, so ... *head spins from trying to do math*

I was so hoping we'd get the FAQ Poll answer today.

Quibbler Editor In Chief - Jul 12, 2005 8:37 pm (#2915 of 2930)

Also for others of us it is actually 4 sleeps because internet sites such as Amazon probably won't deliver until later in the day. Lucky everyone else. Sad I have given up hope for anymore website updates, and I am not sure if I want one now because the suspense just makes me want to read the book even more.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jul 12, 2005 8:49 pm (#2916 of 2930)

LOL Penny, as some of us get skightly older and have the wonderful option of takes naps without trying to schedule around kids or appointments, three plus sleeps sounds real good! Got to save up for release parties and reading the HBP!

...toddles off snickering to self, I have had that planed for about a year and a half now. Reaches and grabs butterbeer from pocket as I toddle...

Ginerva Potter - Jul 13, 2005 6:04 am (#2917 of 2930)

Well, I've lost hope for an update. I think if we were going to get one we would have gotten it by now. I was so sure we were going to get one, too. oh well, I guess it's only 2 days away, we find things out soon enough.

Ginny

skh - Jul 13, 2005 6:24 am (#2918 of 2930)

I'm with you on that one, Ginny!

pottermom34 - Jul 13, 2005 8:47 am (#2919 of 2930)

Some of us only have wednesday and thursday nights for sleep because we have to work all day friday and will be too afraid to sleep for fear of not waking up in time.

GryffEndora - Jul 13, 2005 9:52 am (#2920 of 2930)

With as much as Jo has gone through to keep info about this book quiet until the release we may get the FAQ answered on the 15th or the 16th. Although once I have the book in my hand, I'll be pretty happy no matter what she does. 2 1/2 days!!!

Little Ginny - Jul 13, 2005 10:57 am (#2921 of 2930)

I have stopped counting days on Sunday, I'm now doing hours (51 hours 5 minutes at the moment) until I can pick up the book at 9 AM at my local bookstore (can you imagine? they said there were probably too few people interested, they wouldn't open on 1 AM- well my friends and I have decided to watch the three movies during the night, in order to be "prepared" for the book)

Anyway, to stay on topic, I realise we probably won't have any updates until next month, but then... 51 hours 2 minutes left!

Aurora Gubbins - Jul 13, 2005 4:19 pm (#2922 of 2930)

Ooh! Ooh! I can't say how excited I am! Less than 2 days now! I have the last school run on Friday, daughter goes off to a party on Saturday afternoon and the significant other can take over for the next 3 weeks while I savour every word!

Here's to it, everyone!

Aurora xx

Kerrie-Louise - Jul 14, 2005 12:12 am (#2923 of 2930)

Whilst "technically" the book is released on Saturday I can't see me sleeping Friday night at all and so......

Tomorrow...tomorrow... It's going to be in my hands tomorrow!!!

- Sorry just had to get that off of my chest!

Thora - Jul 14, 2005 6:21 am (#2924 of 2930)

I hate that Do Not Disturb Sign! I can't take the stress anymore! Ahhhhhhhhhh!

(no update, sorry.)

Thora

Good Evans - Jul 14, 2005 10:11 am (#2925 of 2930)

I have a suspician there might be something tomorrow morning - just to make our day even more special - well I can hope can't I????

Cat 7 of 9 - Jul 14, 2005 11:52 am (#2926 of 2930)

I have a suspicion there might be something tomorrow morning - just to make our day even more special - well I can hope can't I???? ... Good Evans

I hope so too!

18 hours and 8 minutes left.

PS As you may have guessed ... I live in the UK

Kip Carter - Jul 14, 2005 12:03 pm (#2927 of 2930)

Cat 7 of 9, do you know something that I do not know about time. According to my clock, your post was made at 7:52 p.m. BST on Thursday 14 July 2005. If the book is to be release on 16 July, what happened to the other ten hours? I believe that you still have time to edit your post, showing 18 hours.

Cat 7 of 9 - Jul 14, 2005 12:17 pm (#2928 of 2930)

Kip your right, I got over exited and hit the wrong key. Darn it now I have to wait 10 more hours. ^_^

Grindylow - Jul 14, 2005 12:34 pm (#2929 of 2930)

LOL Cat....join the rest of us!!! Very Happy

Kip Carter - Jul 14, 2005 1:03 pm (#2930 of 2930)

Being this thread has reached its maximum number of posts, I am closing it down and changed the title to JK Rowling Official Site (9 Nov 2004 - 14 Jul 2005).

A new [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thread is now available for your discussions about the web pages of Jo Rowling.

=====================================================
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Re: JK Rowling Official Site Vol. 2 (9 Nov 2004 - 14 Jul 2005)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top