HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Archive of Five Words Stories

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #106

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:39 pm

This story was first posted by PatPat - Apr 20, 2009 12:21 am (#2506 of 2998) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Easter_egg_basket_final

Potty Five Words: "Tales of the Easter Niffler"

Easter eggs lay hidden in the thick grass all around the Burrow. Arthur Weasley loved the Easter egg hunt. He loved watching his grandchildren scamper around the yard, peeking in old flowerpots and garden boxes and giggling when they found each brightly colored egg.

"Granddad! Look!" said Lily, running over with her cousin, Hugo, "This one's been half-eaten already! Do you think the garden gnomes got here first?" She held it up high so Arthur could see the bite marks.

"Why, I think they did!" he replied with a smile. "You can't blame them, really. You did a marvelous job of decorating them... they just didn't realize what they were eating." Lily and Hugo nodded.

George's twin daughters were scrabbling under a nearby bush, their Easter dresses covered with grass stains and dirt, "We made a gnome..."

"...give this egg to us, Granddad," Roxanne and Lola proudly announced. Their baskets were filled with eggs, some with teeth marks. They skipped around the overgrown garden, their arms linked together.

Arthur wandered aimlessly in their wake, smiling when he found Rose underneath a lawn chair eating a chocolate rabbit, "Rosie, dear, why don't you look for some Easter eggs? There might be a few left over by-"

"Rose, Hugo, Lily! Come inside!" Molly had appeared at the back door. "Dinner's ready! James, Albus, and Fred! Roxanne and Lola- goodness! You girls are a sight! Just look at your new dresses! Go clean up!"

"Nan, can't you just use a cleaning spell? It would be much easier... pleeaase?" Lola begged.

Molly sighed, then pulled out her wand, "Come here." Roxanne winked at Lola as she walked over to her grandmother. Deftly, she plucked Molly's wand out of her hand and skipped away, laughing and shooting green sparks from the tip.

"Accio, wand!" Molly commanded. A feeling of déjà vu came over her as she remembered the first time Fred tried that very same prank. He didn't succeed, either. Molly's eyes welled up as the memory came back to her. Fred had just turned seven and was anxious to use 'proper' magic for the first time. George had distracted her by spilling pumpkin juice all over Ron. Fred had grabbed her wand and immediately caused pandemonium. Fred began waving it in circles above his head and suddenly, dishes began dancing around the kitchen, clattering and breaking as they hit the floor, dancing off the countertops.

Molly didn't want history to repeat itself. Yet the memory made her smile. She missed Fred terribly, especially around the holidays. She stood, hands on her hips and looked sternly at Lola, but her expression changed quickly to amusement as she noticed Roxanne shaking her finger at her twin.

Lola giggled and said, "At least I got it to make green sparks shoot out! That's more than you've done!"

Roxanne chuckled. "Yeah, you're right! Good going!"

Molly sighed, chuckling, "OK you two. Time for dinner, now. Let me clean your dresses before your mother sees you." The twins obediently lined up and stood still while Molly waved her wand and removed the muddy stains.

Soon the whole Weasley clan was gathered around the table. Scrumptious delicacies were arranged around a vast assortment of roasted meats. The room was crowded, but, somehow, every Weasley sibling, spouse, and child managed to find a seat somewhere. Plates were filled from rim to rim with Molly's delicious cooking. George's daughters were busy telling their cousins about their egg hunt. Lily was showing her parents the red and gold flashing egg she had found under a wheelbarrow near the chicken coop, "It's Gryffindor colors, Daddy! This means I'll be in Gryffindor when I go to Hogwarts!" She beamed at Harry in a way that only a young child can when filled with pride and excitement.

The clock struck two by the time the meal was finished and the dishes were washed. Harry and Ginny sat on the bench in the garden. George was running with all the children, leading them to the broom shed.

"Quidditch! Time for the annual Easter Weasley Quidditch Tournament!" With squeals of animated laughter, all the children poured onto the field carrying an assortment of brooms. James was the first one to mount his charge and take flight.

"Wait! We've got to decide on teams!" George announced. "We need two captains."

"I'm the oldest," said Victoire matter-of-factly.

"And," Fred began, "I'm the best flyer, so I think I should be a captain."

"Who says you're the best flyer?" James demanded.

Harry smiled, "Well, maybe we can have co-captains. Agreed?"

James sighed and nodded half-heartedly. Ginny walked over and grabbed a broom. "OK," she said, "Victoire, you choose someone. Remember, children first, then parents."

Victoire nodded. "Albus, over here." He smiled and trotted over to his cousin. Fred and James called out for Dominique. Rose was picked next by Victoire. Turn by turn, the teams were formed.

Ron announced the rosters. "Team Victoire has Rose as Keeper, Albus as Seeker, Roxanne as Beater, along with Louis, and Lily and Lucy as Chasers. James will be Keeper for his team, with Fred as Seeker, Dominique and Molly as Beaters, and Lola, Ginny, and Hugo as Chasers."

Everyone else pulled up a chair to watch.

"Wait! What about Victoire?" asked Louis.

"I'm a Chaser," she replied. "And we need referees, still, of course."

"I'll do that," volunteered Ginny.

"No, Aunt Ginny, you're a Chaser, but Uncle Harry could be referee," interrupted Lola, beaming at her famous relative.

The game started quickly. Harry released the Snitch as the players became airborne. Both Keepers flew around their respective hoops as the Chasers passed the Quaffle and attempted to score. Albus kept looking all around him for any sign of the Snitch. Meanwhile, Roxanne and Louis were enthusiastically swinging their bats at a Bludger that Molly had sent in Lucy's direction.

"Take that, Luce!" Molly sang. Lucy ducked, and Roxanne, hurtling after the Bludger, narrowly missed hitting Fred. He had seen a glint of gold near Dominique, and was shooting across the pitch. Albus followed suit on his trusty Nimbus Express.

A foil-wrapped egg lay discarded on the edge of the garden, where the adults were sitting, watching the action. The children had decided they wanted a kids-only game and the adults were content to confine themselves to cheering. Ginny’s gracious offer to be the fourteenth player was accepted happily.

Fred pulled away from the egg when he realized it wasn't the Snitch. Albus, who was diving at full speed, barely had time to pull out of the maneuver. Luckily, Victoire was watching the scene and managed to grab the tail-twig end of his broom.

Hugo zoomed over and asked Albus, "When did you learn to fly like that?!"

"Can't talk now!" Albus replied. He had spotted the Snitch flying above Molly's flower garden and pulled his broom around to that direction.

Fred noticed Albus change course and turned his broom. He weaved through the Chasers and Beaters, in dogged pursuit. Albus had a big lead, but Fred eventually caught up. The two Seekers raced, neck and neck. The Snitch was within three yards when a Bludger Louis whacked hit Fred square in the face.

A scream rang out. It was Molly. Watching her grandson plummet towards the ground, Molly pulled out her wand. George, however, had immediately cast a Cushioning Charm and his son landed softly in the grass. His nose was bleeding profusely and Molly rushed over with outstretched arms. Louis landed quickly nearby and apologized repeatedly. Angelina and George rushed over to assess the damage. But Fred was already making jokes.

"Nice hit, Louis! Nearly knocked my whole head off!" He sat grinning, completely oblivious to his injury. With a wave of her wand, Angelina stopped the flow of blood and cleaned up her son's face.

"Game on!" Fred yelled.

"Not so fast!" declared Molly, looking quite red and frazzled. "You need to sit down and rest. You've just received a terrific blow to the-" She was interrupted by a chorus of protests.

"Naa-aan!" James began, "It's just a flesh wound."

"He's fine!" called Albus.

Cousin Molly was hovering nearby. Standing up, she smiled, dragging her broom behind her. "Well, I'm thirsty, so why don't we all take a pumpkin juice break."

Moans were coming from everywhere. Everyone glared at Molly.

"The game just started," complained Victoire. "We can stop for juice later."

The game resumed, but not before Molly (Senior) threw up her hands and marched back to her seat, announcing, "Right! Keep playing then. Just don't come running to me if your legs get broken, that's all!"

A knowing glance made its way around the assembled adults as they each remembered a time when Molly had said something similar to them in their younger years. Actually, she still said those kinds of things to them now, occasionally.

"Remember when we flew the car last month to visit your aunt?" Harry asked Ron.

Ron chuckled. "The 'Ford Anglia Fiasco' almost repeated itself! Mum did a nutter."

"She was right! That was dangerous! You could've gotten us all killed! Or worse, gotten our wands taken away for misuse of Muggle artifacts!" Ron and Harry's eyes rolled at Hermione's admonishment.

Suddenly a shout rang out as Albus' hand closed around the Snitch. "I've got it! Right here!" Albus' teammates cheered as he circled back to the group and they all hugged him and clapped his back.

The teams made their way to where the adults were gathered at the edge of the Quidditch field smiling widely, "Well done, Albus!" Harry exclaimed, clapping his son on the back.

"Thanks, Dad!" Albus replied beaming. "It was brilliant!"

"Look!" Lucy interjected, squealing with glee and pointing to the garden hedge. Everyone followed her gaze. A fluffy, black snout was poking through the leaves. It sniffed curiously, and then a pair of flat, spade-like paws slipped through the foliage. A squeal of delight escaped Lola as the creature emerged with a quick hop.

"The Easter Niffler!" the young ones chorused. The niffler's long snout twitched as it began to dig in the soft earth. It burrowed as if the dirt was water. A few minutes later, a large mound of loosened earth sat beside a big hole. All the children clustered around, trying to have a look at what the Easter Niffler had unearthed. A golden glow emanated from the freshly dug hole. Lucy rushed over, her eyes alight with wonder, and reached in for the enormous, wonderfully ornate egg that the niffler had uncovered. There were "oohs" and "ahhs" as the egg cracked open slowly, revealing the treasures within. There was every kind of scrumptious chocolate and delectable candy imaginable.

"Oh, wow! Look, there's my favorite, Chocoballs!" cried Lily, reaching for the treats. Other children looked in, and each found their favorite sweets. The adults were close behind to have a look for themselves. Despite the large number of chocolates and candies the children took out and shared around, the golden egg looked as full as it had when it first opened. Harry was always reminded about that plate of sandwiches at Hogwarts. He looked at Ron now and said, "Remember that? Sitting in Snape's office?"

Ron nodded. "You ask me this every year!" He grinned.

The children asked Harry to tell them about flying the car to Hogwarts, but Hermione rolled her eyes and said, "We don't need to hear about your silly antics. You'll give them ideas! Now let's just all enjoy our sweets."

"Don't worry 'er-mi-knee," said Ron, through a mouthful of toffee, "Don't want kids-"

"Could you please swallow first, dear," Hermione asked calmly.

With an effort, Ron swallowed the lump of sticky goo. "I don't want the kids to hear that story! Harry brought it up!"

James grinned, saying, "Good one, Uncle Ron!"

The adults laughed and Arthur clapped his hands to get everyone's attention. Silence fell. Arthur smiled warmly and said, "I treasure these times together and wish you a Happy Easter!"

* Five Words – Volume 10 Index * 

* Five Words - Volumes Index * 

* Five Words - Main Archives * 
 * Five Words - Stories Index (by topic) * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #106 stats

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:40 pm

These stats were first posted by PatPat - Apr 20, 2009 12:45 am (#2507 of 2998) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 106
ordered by first contribution to the story

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic   151
  PatPat   49
  Verity Weasley   62
  Puck   103
  Phoenixfeather   24
  mona amon   9
  Kip Carter   2
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times, who may in turn pass it to the user who posted the third number of times in the story, and so forth.

Total Submissions: 400
Total Words: 2000
Last Submission Date: #2504, April 19, 2009, 12:49 AM (Puck)
Total Time to Create Story: 15 days, 23 hours, 29 minutes

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #106 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:03 am (#2938 of 2960) [Edited Dec 17, 2010 3 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #106, Volume X,
Potty Five Words: "Tales of the Easter Niffler"

This story was written from April 3, 2009 to April 19, 2009. Seven writers contributed to the story, which is 2,000 words long. Five of the seven writers posted feedback.

- PatPat, Apr 20, 2009 1:19 am: And so ends story #106. I really felt that this was one of our better stories. The plot was a simple one and, though we had one complication with the naming of the Quidditch teams, we turned it around and kept it nice and simple. This is a great example of one of our better stories. A day in the life of the Weasleys. I only have a couple comments:

1) It is difficult, when writing a story 5 words at a time, to keep up entirely with everything that has been written. But we all need to try to read a sentence or two ahead of posting, so that we don't repeat the same words over and over.

2) Most of us know this, but just a reminder, try not to delete any posts. Always edit rather than delete. If your editing window runs out, PAH or I can take care of any edits for you. In this thread, more than any other, posts are precious. Deleting shortens the life of the thread.

3) Again, it's difficult always to keep up with the plot when several writers are posting five words at a time. However, we really need to watch out for inconsistencies. For example, in this story, it was stated that Fred did not succeed when he stole Molly's wand. But then there is a description of what he did with the wand once he obtained it! Oops! We all do it. It's just a matter of being careful and, again, being sure to read a little ahead before posting.

- Puck, Apr 20, 2009 2:10 am: It was a fun, light-hearted story, I think.

- Phoenixfeather, Apr 20, 2009 2:54 am: The last story was fun!

- Potteraholic, Apr 20, 2009 2:56 am: Great job posting the story and stats, PatPat! Good points to remember, all 3 of them. I also agree with everything that was said about the Easter Niffler story. And, I too, have to say, YAY!!! Kip posted! What a momentous occasion!

- Verity Weasley, Apr 20, 2009 5:31 am: Yes, the last story was fun, but there was a big chunk in the middle where I didn't post at all because it got so confusing. I think keeping the cast of characters down to a reasonable number makes it a bit easier to keep track of everything.

- Potteraholic, Apr 20, 2009 10:41 am: Good point about having a smaller cast of characters, esp. since we're writing a shorter story.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #107

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:42 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 30, 2009 1:29 am (#2752 of 2998) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 302246s160

Potty Five Words: "A Blossoming Magic"

Uncle Algie looked at Neville and shook his head. The boy was hopeless. Most children of seven would already be showing some magical ability, but not his nephew. Neville looked nervous all the time and didn't have any real friends.

Neville spent most of that day chasing toads in the garden and fell into the pond. He stood there, soaking wet, but smiling, holding a toad firmly in his pudgy little hands. Algie watched as Neville examined the toad carefully.

"It's got lots of spots on its back. Wonder what they're there for?" Neville queried.

"Boy, you're dripping all over the place! Dry yourself off before you ruin the carpet!"

"Sorry Uncle Algie," Neville said quietly, eyes downcast. He stepped backwards off the carpet and turned to leave.

"Hang on a minute," ordered Algie. He took out his wand and gave it a swish. Neville was instantly and completely dry.

The toad jumped and made a dash for freedom. Neville sprang after him, but landed sprawled upon the floor. By the time he got back on his feet, the toad had long gone. Algie conjured himself a glass of firewhiskey and watched as his nephew searched in vain for the spotted, speedy amphibian. He was reminded of his own youth, when he tramped through the garden chasing gnomes.

Neville returned a few minutes later. "He got away," he said despondently, "but I'm going to go find another." He looked at his uncle hopefully. Algie sighed as Neville started looking for a net to help him catch another toad.

"Listen, Neville." Algie's tone was firm. "I want you to try to catch it by magic. If you concentrate really hard, I promise, it will come right to you."

Neville looked doubtful, but decided to try. His face turned bright red as he attempted to harness every magical fiber in his body. Nothing happened.

"Does a toad just come to you when you think hard about it?" Neville asked. "I won't turn into a toad or anything?" He had heard his Gran tell a story about a boy who tried to use magic on a playmate. The child had sprouted a pair of bug-like feelers on his head.

Algie chuckled, in spite of himself. The poor little mite is worried about accidental transfiguration when he can't even turn boiling water into tea. "No, you won't turn into a toad, I promise."

The pair of them walked out toward the garden. Neville wasn't sure how his uncle expected him to perform magic, but he was willing to try.

As they approached the garden, Neville's grandmother came rushing across the lawn. "Pesky Screechsnap! I am at my wit's end! I think I gave it too much dragon manure and now it won't stop shaking and squeaking!" she yelled.

Neville forgot about the toad for a moment. "Gran, maybe you could spray water from your wand to wash away the dragon manure. That might help?"

"It's worth a try," Augusta sighed. "Aguamenti," she uttered, her wand shooting a torrent of water at the plant. Neville, watching closely, smiled when the Schreechsnap began to quiet down.

"Well, would you look at that!" Algie exclaimed, with astonishment. "The kid had it right!" he said, winking at Neville.

The boy beamed at this rare praise. "Thanks, Uncle Algie!" he grinned.

"Don't go getting too bigheaded now, young man," Neville's grandmother warned him. But Neville was too busy looking at the Screechsnap, very pleased with how well his idea had worked.

"Gran, maybe I could have my own garden. What d'ya think? Can I?"

Augusta shrugged her shoulders. "I suppose we could give you an allotment. Just as long as you take care of it and don't plant more Screechsnap."

Neville smiled broadly. He promised her he wouldn't. "Gran, could we go shopping for some seeds in Diagon Alley?" Neville asked.

Augusta looked at him and sighed, "I suppose we could." Augusta couldn't say "no" when he was keen on doing it.

Neville jumped for joy.

"Flora's Botanicals should have everything you need. We'll go there as soon as I get my hat," Augusta said, hurrying into the house. She returned with a large red handbag, a hat topped with a stuffed vulture, and a fox-fur scarf.

Both Longbottoms were covered in soot as they exited the fireplace in the Leaky Cauldron. "Afternoon, Tom," Augusta chirped. "My grandson and I are off to purchase some things at Flora's."

"Gardening like your Grandad, huh?" Tom asked with a chuckle.

Neville smiled, "Yeah, the Screechsnap that he planted was doing poorly but I figured out how to fix it!"

Augusta nodded and said, "Looks like he might have his Grandfather's talent - if not his father's." Neville looked away, his cheeks reddening.

Tom frowned, but said nothing. He felt sorry for Neville. "You need to be quite skilled to take care of plants, Screechsnap especially. Why, I remember I had a patch in my garden, growing up—"

"Yes, I'm sure that's very interesting, Tom," Augusta said, "but I want to be home in time for Algie's shepherd's pie."

With that, she marched towards the door. Neville bade Tom goodbye, as Augusta steered them both out of the pub, through the brick wall, and into Diagon Alley. "Flora’s Botanicals was Grandad's favorite shop right, Gran? I remember he used to go there all the time."

Augusta sniffed. Rupert, her husband, had died only a few months before. His health had gone downhill after being bitten by a poisonous plant, a Venomous Tentacula. He would visit Flora's every fortnight and always arrived home with some strange specimen or the latest book on Herbology.

Now the pair were standing in front of his favorite store. "I haven't been here since your grandfather died," Augusta muttered more to herself than Neville. Hanging baskets filled with strange looking plants and flowers adorned the front of the shop. Drawers filled with seeds lined Flora's walls. Now inside, Neville's eyes widened in excitement.

As he passed, a tendril from a Flitterbloom brushed against his cheek, startling him. He jumped back, knocking over a pile of precariously stacked bags of fertilizer. The bags split open, releasing a pungent odor.

"Please take care, young man," snapped the shopkeeper.

Augusta sighed, and with a quick wave of her wand, she repaired the bags and set them right. Neville selected a Flitterbloom seedling. As he held it, its tendrils started to snake towards his fingers, and Neville smiled. The plant began to sway in time with his snapping fingers. He quickened the tempo and the Flitterbloom followed suit. He stopped snapping and the plant slowed and was still.

Neville turned excitedly to Augusta, "Gran! Did you see that? I made the Flitterbloom dance!" He was smiling broadly, but Augusta was busy talking to the shopkeeper. "Gran, did you see that? The plant follows every move I make!"

Augusta turned towards her grandson and watched, mesmerized, as the foliage bounced to the beat of Neville's clicking fingers.

"Why, Neville! You are a born herbologist and a magical one at that!"

The memory of these unusually kind words returned to Neville every time he worked in his garden, and in the years to come, Augusta would realize how truly gifted her grandson was in so many different ways.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #107 stats

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:45 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Apr 30, 2009 1:30 am (#2753 of 2998) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 107

User
  # of Submissions  
  Puck   61
  PatPat   15
  Phoenixfeather   39
  Potteraholic   81
  Verity Weasley   38
  Dryleaves   3
  azi   4
  mona amon   5
The user in red is the rightful starter of the next story. They are welcome to pass on the privilege to the user who posted the second most number of times, who may in turn pass it to the user who posted the third number of times in the story, and so forth.

Total Submissions: 243
Total Words: 1215
Last Submission Date: #2751, April 28, 2009, 11:04 PM (Verity Weasley)
Total Time to Create Story: 8 days, 20 hours, 54 minutes

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #107 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:04 am (#2939 of 2960) [Edited Jan 16, 2011 5 pm] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #107, Volume X,
Potty Five Words: "A Blossoming Magic"

This story was written from April 19, 2009 to April 28, 2009. Seven writers contributed to the story, which is 1,215 words long. Four of the seven writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Apr 30, 2009 1:31 am: Story #107 is up! I liked it very much! And I think it ended well... sometimes we need a few extra posts to get there, but we got there in the end!

- Verity Weasley, Apr 30, 2009 2:58: I enjoyed the last story. While we were writing it, it seemed to be meandering along without much of a direction, but it turned out very well in the end, I thought. As always PAH, you did a great job of choosing just the right title!

- PatPat, Apr 30, 2009 9:56 pm: I also really liked the last story. I think our last two have gone very well. PAH, as always, great job in posting the story so quickly and accurately and great title!

- mona amon, May 3, 2009 12:34 am: Regarding the previous story, it has been said before, but nice story, great title!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #108

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:49 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - May 13, 2009 10:44 am (#2977 of 2998) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Hermionereadingavatar

Potty Five Words: "On 'The Cusp'"

The wind whipped furiously along the banks of the river. Hermione and her parents ran full speed towards the nearest boat, which was moored at St Katharine Docks. Portia Granger nervously climbed inside, followed by Hermione. Egeus, Hermione's father, clambered in after them and untied the small craft.

"We need to get going as quickly as possible. We don't want to get caught in this thunderstorm." Dark clouds were gathering ominously while Egeus started the small outboard motor. Soon they were chugging along. The Cusp rocked slightly as it traveled upstream.

"Dad, are you sure this is the way?" Hermione asked.

"We're going to Henley-on-Thames, as you requested," he replied.

Portia was worried about traveling in such rough conditions, but Egeus assured her that they would be fine and that they could dock somewhere if the storm worsened. "Besides, Hermione has to get to Henley as soon as possible. She promised—"

He was interrupted by a loud, rolling clap of thunder. Portia jumped, causing the boat to rock precariously. Hermione grabbed hold of the nearest rail and managed to stop herself from going overboard.

"MUM! It's only thunder! Honestly! Not going to kill you!"

"I'm sorry, dear, but it really isn't safe to get caught in this weather," Portia explained. "We could get struck by lightning. Or worse."

"What's worse than that?" asked Egeus.

"Frizzy hair, largish teeth," said Hermione. "Lots of things really..." she mused.

Just then, The Cusp sputtered and slowed. Hermione looked at her father and said, "Dad, did you put petrol in the engine?"

Egeus' face fell. "Oh... I think I forgot," he mumbled, sheepishly.

Hermione was tempted to reach for her wand, but then she remembered the rule forbidding underage witches from using magic outside Hogwarts. But this is an emergency. I'm sure it would be allowed, she thought, just one little spell and we would have a functioning boat in a jiffy. But what if I get a warning from the Ministry of Magic? I've never been in trouble before.

Hermione was jolted away from these troubling thoughts by the sound of an engine. The rumble grew steadily louder as the large, official-looking boat approached. A Thames Coastguard vessel was now just feet away.

"Havin' a spot of trouble, eh? Need any help?" enquired a young watch officer, shouting over the howling wind.

“We’re stuck! Tank's empty!" Egeus shouted back.

"Well, then, let's top it up for you," the voice replied. As he came into view, Hermione did a double-take. The young man looked very familiar. Hermione thought for a moment before remembering that she had seen him at Gringotts last August, her first visit to Diagon Alley. As the officer came aboard carrying a can of petrol, she wondered, Is he a Muggle related to a wizard, or a wizard masquerading as a Muggle? How can I find out without giving myself away?

While Hermione pondered, Egeus took the can and filled the tank. The two men went toward The Cusp's bow and surveyed the approaching storm. Egeus frowned. "We shouldn't be out on the river now, should we? But my daughter Hermione needs to get to Henley-on-Thames for a three o'clock appointment."

The man turned to look at Hermione, and he too made the magical connection.

"Have we met before? I'm sure I've seen you wandering around," he said, with a wink. "I'd bet a Galleon on it!"

Hermione was speechless for a minute. Then she smiled. "I believe you'd win that Galleon. I've seen you at Gringotts."

Portia looked sharply at the officer. "Do you have an account there? Or do you have family who do?" she added quickly.

The young man grinned broadly and reached for his wallet. He took out the key to his vault.

"What's that?" asked Egeus, staring at the tiny, golden object.

"It opens a wizard's vault, where he keeps his gold," Hermione explained, breathlessly. "Then you travel via cart, accompanied by a goblin, who lets you in. Some of the vaults are guarded by dragons!"

The officer, Horatio Beamish, chuckled at her exuberance. Muggle-borns were always so excited by things like dragons and goblins. Other witches and wizards he knew never displayed emotions like that. Being a Muggle-born wizard himself, he remembered his own youthful excitement about all things magical. Once, when he was about Hermione's age, he had seen a large winged horse while on holiday in France, and had talked about it for weeks afterwards.

"So, where are we going to stop?" Portia asked, interrupting his thoughts.

"Well, I think the storm has moved off to the south, so you can proceed," said Horatio. "Your appointment must be important, or you wouldn't be traveling in this weather to keep it. Maybe I could speed things up a bit?"

Without waiting for a reply Horatio guided The Cusp to the nearest dock. The Grangers followed him without question towards a small boathouse nearby. Horatio pushed open the heavy wooden door and ushered them into a dusty office. There was a large stone fireplace at one end, with an empty hearth.

"There's a pub called The Green Dragon on Hart Street in Henley-on-Thames, near the river," said Horatio. "Will you know how to get to your destination from there?"

Hermione couldn't believe it. "The Green Dragon is our destination!" she replied. "I'm meeting a professor there to interview him for a school assignment... he's retired, an expert on Ancient Runes. He used to teach at Hogwarts years ago, but before—"

"Not ol' Entwistle? Murgatroyd Entwistle?" exclaimed Horatio. "I was at Hogwarts when he taught there. He was quite an animated teacher... used to make everything into an exciting lesson."

Smiling, Hermione said, "That's exactly who I mean! My assignment is for extra credit."

"Excuse me," Egeus interrupted. "But we should get going, surely?"

"Of course!" Horatio said, motioning toward the fireplace. "This is connected to The Green Dragon. You can get there by throwing this powder in the fireplace and when the fire burns a bright green, you step into it."

Hermione's parents gasped. "Don't worry!" Horatio continued. "She won't get burned."

"She?" queried Portia. "Can't we go with her? She is—"

"... a witch, and you are Muggles, who can't travel by the Floo Network. I'm sorry! It would violate the Statutes of Secrecy," Horatio explained apologetically.

He looked at Hermione. "Just say your destination clearly... you'll be transported there in seconds. And... keep your elbows tucked!"

Hermione nodded and turned to her parents. Portia and Egeus looked apprehensive, but Horatio smiled. "Wizards do this all the time. Children travel by Floo powder nearly everywhere." This comment reassured the couple and Portia nodded.

Hermione took some powder and threw it into the fire Horatio had conjured. "Bye, Mum and Dad!" she grinned and stepped into the hearth. "I'll meet you back here!" She then shouted, "The Green Dragon, Henley-on-Thames!" and then vanished before their eyes.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #108 stats

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - May 13, 2009 10:47 am (#2978 of 2998) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 108

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic   83
  Puck   53
  Verity Weasley   18
  PatPat   26
  Phoenixfeather   1
  mona amon   36
  azi   3
  Finn BV   6
  Kip Carter   4

Total Submissions: 230
Total Words: 1150
Last Submission Date: #2985, May 13, 2009, 10:01 PM (Verity Weasley)
Total Time to Create Story: 14 days, 20 hours, 30 minutes

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume X, Story #108 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:54 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:04 am (#2940 of 2960) [Edited Dec 18, 2010 11 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #108, Volume X,
Potty Five Words: "On 'The Cusp'"

This story was written from April 29, 2009 to May 13, 2009. Nine writers contributed to the story, which is 1,150 words long. Five of the nine writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, May 14, 2009 1:11 am: So ends another story about the Grangers... slowly but surely we're chipping away at this mysterious pair and getting to know them a bit better. I liked this story and how it sailed along smoothly, most of the time. (I wasn't sure about setting up the insertion section at the end, but I think it worked out okay.)

- mona amon, May 15, 2009 2:59 am: I liked this story! I'm always amazed at the way the story seems to be going nowhere at first, and then starts taking shape.

And as usual you've come up with a nice title, PAH!

- Verity Weasley, May 15, 2009 7:10 am: I have to echo Mona's thoughts. I spent a long time wondering where the story was going, but reading it through all together it doesn't appear to lack direction. The added section is seamless. Anyone coming to the story now would never know we added that section later.

In this story I think Egeus appears to be a bit 'Arthur Weasley-ish'. His absent-mindedness was very endearing.

- Puck, May 15, 2009 12:09 pm: I think it's a sweet little story. A mix between the light hearted and the dark makes this thread fun, as you never know what you will get.

Oh, now that Tax Day has passed, I believe we are getting Kip sucked in......

- Phoenixfeather, May 16, 2009 3:02 am: Hi everyone! Sorry I've not been around - work projects again. But I read the story and it did turn out really well! I agree that the addition fit perfectly. And I haven't heard the name "Murgatroyd" in years - and only as an old saying... people would exclaim sometimes "Heavens to Murgatroyd!" - Not sure why, but it was interesting that name came up (if I've got the right name - it might have been "Murgatroy"). --Anyways, it was a nice read!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI Index

Post  Potteraholic Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:31 pm

This page contains a list with links to all the stories written in Volume XI.

Five Words Stories - Volume XI

• Click on Story #109 (11 June 2009) for "A Touch of Transfiguration"

• Click on Story #110 (10 July 2009) for "The Birth of a Hat"

• Click on Story #111 (25 July 2009) for "A Neighborly Chat"

• Click on Story #112 (11 September 2009) for "The Eye and the Storm"

• Click on Story #113 (30 September 2009) for "A Family Gathering"

• Click on Story #114 (9 October 2009) for "Dear Sisters"

• Click on Story #115 (26 October 2009) for "The 3 Ds: Dursleys, Dementors, and Dinner", Four Year Anniversary Special!

• Click on Story #116 (23 November 2009) for "Neville and the Mandrakes: Mission Possible"

• Click on Story #117 (16 December 2009) for "A Birthday... Surprise!"

• Click on Story #118 (1 January 2010) for "Owl Post!"

• Click on Story #119 (9 January 2010) for "A Barrier Breached"

• Click on Stories #117, #118, #119 (16 December - 9 January 2010) for "The Dursley Triumvirate" to read this trio of stories all at once.

When the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum was hosted on World Crossing, the Five Words game used to be played on the separate FanFiction Forum site. When Kip Carter agreed to move Five Words to the Main Forum, where a new volume, Volume XIII was created, there were still more than 800 posts left in Volume XII. So some Five Worders decided to use the remaining posts in Volume XII to revise past stories. The following stories in Volume XI were revised in Volume XII: #113, #114, and #116. Links to these revised stories can be found at the end of their original versions.

* This volume's stories, stats and post-story comments archived from WX by Verity Weasley; formatted/posted by Potteraholic

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #109

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:58 am

This story was first posted by PatPat - Jun 11, 2009 12:39 am (#402 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 DD

Potty Five Words: "A Touch of Transfiguration"

Dumbledore looked out of his window, smiling. His first day as Professor of Transfiguration at Hogwarts! He'd never imagined that the day would pass so quickly. He really hadn't had that much teaching experience before, and didn't know what to expect. But he found that teaching seemed to come naturally to him. Headmaster Dippet had expressed complete faith in his abilities. He still had some lingering doubts about his decision to enter the teaching profession, but here he was, and his first day turned out fine.

A knock at the door startled him. "Come in," he called out. Minerva McGonagall, a gifted young witch in her first year, walked in the office.

"Good evening, Professor. I was wondering if I could borrow your copy of Transfiguration Today? There is an article about Animagi in it!" She smiled shyly, waiting expectantly. She had seen the magazine earlier during their transfiguration lesson. She was extremely curious about people who could transform into animals.

Dumbledore smiled at her, remembering her enthusiasm during class. "You're a bit young to be attempting such difficult magic aren't you, Miss—"

"McGonagall, sir. I don't plan to attempt it quite yet, sir! But perhaps when I'm older and more skilled."

Dumbledore smiled, "I see. I suppose there is no harm in reading up on it. I can help you find some books in the library if you would like to do more research. However, you must promise me you won't try out the spells without permission or supervision."

"Yes sir!" Minerva enthusiastically replied.

Dumbledore extracted a slim volume from the shelf behind him and held it out for her. "You'll find this quite informative."

Minerva looked at the title: "Magic and Animagi," she read. "I can't wait to read this! Thank you, Professor!"

Several days later, Dumbledore was teaching his first year Transfiguration class how to transform handkerchiefs into parchment. Minerva and Augusta were sitting together. Augusta tapped her wand on the handkerchief, and instead of transforming, it burst into flame. She jumped back in panic while Minerva said, "Calm down, Auggie. It's going out, see?"

The smoldering handkerchief extinguished itself before her eyes. Augusta scowled. "Watch me Auggie... See? You have to wave your wand like this," Minerva rotated her wrist gracefully, and said, "Now, you try. Use my handkerchief."

Augusta performed the wrist movement with little enthusiasm, and said, "Metamorphose Pergamenum!"

The handkerchief fluttered briefly, then partially transformed, but still had little flowers embroidered in the parchment. "Well, it's better. Do you think I'll get it by the time we're tested?"

Minerva smiled encouragingly and nodded.

Across the classroom, another handkerchief crawled off the desk and caused quite a stir as it fluttered among the giggling students.

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as he calmly surveyed the scene. Augusta took advantage of the break in the lesson by discreetly throwing out her scorched handkerchief and snagging a fresh one from the Slytherin boy sitting at the next table. Quickly, she re-cast the spell. This time, the fabric started smoking profusely, smelling of rotten eggs. Augusta started coughing and choking. Suddenly, the smoke cleared, and the twinkling eyes of Professor Dumbledore were staring down at her.

"You seem to be having some trouble, Miss Featherstone." Augusta turned as red as a tomato. "Perhaps you should pay more attention to Miss McGonagall. She seems to have worked it out quite successfully."

Minerva beamed at the compliment, but Augusta pouted slightly. "Professor," Minerva began, "I've been noticing that Auggie is waving her wand in a particularly unusual way."

"Unusual?" Augusta balked. "What does that mean?!"

Dumbledore looked at Augusta and said, "I think what Miss McGonagall is attempting to explain is the way in which you move your wrist with a wand determines the outcome of the incantation. I am reminded of the time when my brother was attempting to transfigure a tortoise into a footstool. A slight jerk of the elbow and he accidentally turned that poor tortoise into a fire-breathing cushion that emitted great clouds of smoke." He chuckled at the memory, then turned to Augusta and said, "So you see, wand action is extremely important. Pay careful attention to the small details. They are vital in successful transfiguration."

Minerva shot a reassuring glance at Augusta, who still looked a bit disgruntled. She sighed, but raised her wand again to make another attempt. A crease appeared between her eyebrows as she gave her wrist a more delicate turn. The handkerchief fluttered slightly, then turned the color of parchment. Sighing, she looked up at Professor Dumbledore and shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, it's an improvement, Miss Featherstone," he smiled.

Twenty minutes later, the two girls left the classroom, but a Slytherin boy followed them out. He pointed his wand at Augusta's back and muttered an incantation. Augusta swayed and almost fell while Minerva waved her wand and sent a curse flying in the direction of the Slytherin boy.

"What did you do to her, you prat!?" Minerva blurted out, supporting Augusta, after pulling her up to keep her from falling. "You dolt! Hitting her behind her back! What was that for!?"

The Slytherin, named Balthazar Mordant, glared at them defiantly. "That's for swiping my handkerchief! It's not wise to steal from a Mordant!"

Minerva bristled with indignation. "We didn't swipe anything! How dare you accuse us!"

Mordant snorted, "I saw you, Featherstone! Or at least, my friend did! You nicked my handkerchief after setting fire to your own."

"Well, what if I did? It belonged to the school. It wasn't yours really, was it, Mordant?" Augusta fumed. She struggled to walk, but her legs wobbled uncontrollably.

Mordant laughed, while his friend, Erasmus Dormwood, looked on, silently. Augusta aimed her wand over her shoulder, trying to shoot a spell at the Slytherin. Dormwood pulled his own wand but Minerva dragged a suit of armor from its stand to shield them both. The spell bounced off the metal and hit a torch, which exploded raining sparks on their heads.

"What's going on here?" came a quiet voice. Dumbledore turned the corner just as Mordant and Dormwood tried to send another spell at the two girls. It missed them by millimeters and Minerva quickly grabbed Augusta and ducked into the alcove vacated by the suit of armor. Mordant froze at the sound of Dumbledore's voice but Dormwood spun on the spot and fled the scene. Or at least, he tried to. He slipped and sprawled facedown on the hard stone floor.

Minerva aimed her wand and muttered an incantation, one that she'd just read about in the book that Professor Dumbledore had lent her on the first day of school. A jet of amber light shot out, hitting Mordant. The boy quivered for a moment, before whiskers sprouted on his face and he let out a yelp of surprise. His ears lengthened, and fur sprouted all over his astonished face. He clapped his hands quickly to his cheeks.

Minerva almost dropped her wand. She stood gaping at Mordant, shocked that the spell had worked.

"Miss McGonagall!" Dumbledore's voice was both amused and stern. "Transfiguring fellow students into animals is strictly, forbidden, Miss McGonagall. I thought I made that clear when I lent you my book earlier."

Minerva looked horrified, a flush spreading slowly across her face. "Professor, you don't understand... I didn't mean to...," she stuttered, unable to finish her sentence.

Augusta began to protest on Minerva's behalf. "Professor, she was only trying to defend us. That Slytherin started it!"

"That will do, Miss Featherstone, I saw quite well what happened. And I will deal with Mr. Dormwood later. Now, I think you two need to go and find a seat for lunch."

"That's all? No detention, sir?" Minerva exclaimed.

Augusta gave her a withering look and hooked her arm. While smiling at Dumbledore, she quickly pulled Minerva down the corridor away from him. "How did you do that?" she exclaimed. "That was really advanced magic!"

"Honestly, I didn't expect it to work. I've never even tried it before. I don't even know what kind of animal he was supposed to turn into!" Minerva lamented.

Augusta started to laugh. "Didn't he look ridiculous with those ears! And the whiskers! You've got to teach me how to do that!"

Minerva looked appalled. "We're not supposed to be doing that kind of magic!" she hissed, as Augusta continued to smirk.

"Minnie, he deserved it! You saw him attack me!" justified Augusta.

The babble of the Great Hall caught the attention of the pair as they approached.

"He had whiskers! And fur!"

Minerva looked at Augusta, alarmed. People were already talking about the brouhaha that had occurred just a few minutes ago.

"Minnie, you're famous!" Augusta exulted.

"Notorious, more likely," said Minerva.

"Oh, don't be such a worrywart. Honestly! Your reputation could really do with a little spice. C'mon, let's go give them a first hand story!" Auggie said, pushing Minnie ahead of her into the noisy, cavernous room.

"Minnie, Auggie, is it true?" asked a tall Gryffindor first-year girl named Marion MacDougal. "Did you really turn Mordant into a kneazle?"

"No, it was a werewolf!" interjected another student nearby. Minerva looked flustered, but not altogether displeased.

"So tell us," Marion pressed. "What happened? How'd you..."

Minerva glanced towards the staff table, where Dumbledore was taking his seat. He smiled at Minerva, watching her intently. She turned to Marion and Augusta, pushing them towards the table, "Let's keep our heads down so Professor Dumbledore doesn't see us. We'll talk about it later."

After lunch ended, Minerva attempted to slip out unnoticed, but Augusta and Marion were walking behind her. "Minnie, wait for us!" Marion called out.

Dumbledore swept down from the front of the hall and was standing beside Minerva before she could slip away as planned, "I'd like a word with you, Miss McGonagall, in my office." He smiled encouragingly, but Minerva looked as if she had seen a boggart. She nodded, and followed him silently.

Fawkes was asleep on his perch when they entered Dumbledore’s office. He indicated the seat in front of his desk and sat down behind it, "Miss McGonagall, today you have demonstrated magical prowess far beyond someone of your years. Whilst I cannot condone the use of such advanced magic against a fellow student, I am very impressed with your display of talent. I would like to assist you in your magical education. It is my belief that you have a gift for transfiguration which should be nurtured, with constant supervision, of course." His eyes twinkled and Minerva's anxiety quickly abated.

She returned his smile and relaxed her posture, "Professor, I'm really sorry I tried that spell on Mordant... Balthazar-"

Dumbledore silenced her protestations with a wave of his hand, "I saw enough to know who uttered the first spell. We, of course, must exercise some restraint, even when provoked. I think you'll agree that there is often fault on both sides?"

"Professor, Auggie just- er- borrowed Mordant's handkerchief in class. She should've asked him first, but..." Minerva trailed off.

"Well, she got jinxed. Anyway, I was thinking I could give you some additional lessons to develop your transfiguration skills. Of course, you must promise not to practice on anyone. The only things you may transfigure are inanimate objects," Dumbledore finished with a wink.

"Yes, Professor," nodded Minerva solemnly as she stood up and walked to the door. "When will we have the first lesson, sir?" she asked eagerly.

"In a week's time," Dumbledore replied. "I'll meet you after dinner in my office." Minerva nodded and left.

Dumbledore looked out of his window across the grounds, musing to himself. I wonder what Headmaster Dippet would have done, he thought. Hopefully, he would've recognized the potential shown by his young student and wanted to cultivate that just as I had. Teaching, he realized, was challenging, but unexpectedly satisfying in ways I hadn't imagined before today. Making a difference in someone's life was much better than wielding power at the Ministry.

* Five Words – Volume 11 Index * 

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #109 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 am

These stats were first posted by PatPat - Jun 11, 2009 1:00 am (#403 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 109

User
  # of Submissions  
  mona amon   41
  Puck   62
  Potteraholic     104
  Verity Weasley     118
  PatPat   24
  Phoenixfeather     50
  Snuffles   1

Total Submissions: 400
Total Words: 2000
Last Submission Date: #401, June 9, 2009, 5:09 AM (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 23 days, 18 hours, 55 minutes

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #109 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:05 am (#2941 of 2960) [Edited Dec 3, 2010 9 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #109, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "A Touch of Transfiguration"

This story was written from May 16, 2009 to June, 2009. Seven writers contributed to the story, which is 2,000 words long. Four of the seven writers posted feedback.

- PatPat, Jun 11, 2009 1:04 am: Well, for the first story of Volume XI, I think this turned out really well. This was definitely, in my opinion, one of our better stories. We kept it simple, one story line, and kept it within the word limit! I especially liked Dumbledore's dialogue. I thought it was kept within character very well. Great job, everyone! It was also very nice to see some of our old players back! Hopefully, they'll stay!

- Verity Weasley, Jun 11, 2009 2:53 am: I agree with PatPat. It was a good story, managed very well. I particularly like how the ending tied in with Dumbledore's ruminations at the beginning of the story, and we had some brilliantly named characters in this as well.

- Phoenixfeather, Jun 11, 2009 6:08 am: The last story turned out excellent! It was a simple plot, but it revealed McGonagall's gift for transfiguration and provided a storyline on how it developed. And, I agree, the Dumbledore's resolution at the end was terrific!

- Potteraholic, Jun 11, 2009 7:41 pm: About "A Touch of Transfiguration", the story we just wrapped up, first of all, I loved the title, PatPat! And any story that has Dumbledore and McGonagall in it is one I am predisposed to like. I liked how there were two storylines happening, the main one about Minerva's burgeoning skill as a witch contained inside the less prominent storyline of Dumbledore reflecting about his new profession. Both characters were becoming skilled at something that was unfamiliar to them; I liked how these two storylines almost mirrored each other.

- Verity Weasley, Jun 11, 2009 10:23 pm: PAH, I love how you summarised the last story. I hadn't looked at it that way, but you are right about it dealing with the same topic but from the two different perspectives of McGonagall and Dumbledore.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #110

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 am

This story was first posted by PatPat - Jul 10, 2009 1:09 am (#805 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Indor10

Potty Five Words: "The Birth of a Hat"

Godric Gryffindor put down his sword. He had just spent a pleasant hour polishing it until it gleamed brighter than ever. It had been worth the time and the energy just to admire it. Goblin-made weapons were hard to look at without admiring the craftsmanship. No other swords were so perfectly molded, and the enormous rubies set in the handle, as large as eggs, were exceptional in cut and clarity.

A knock at the door ended his musing. "We walked over to find out if you were ever going to explain your idea to us," exclaimed Salazar Slytherin, striding into the office and glaring at Godric pointedly.

"Patience, Salazar," Rowena Ravenclaw soothed. "I'm sure Godric will tell us in due course!"

Godric asked his friends to sit and began pacing around the room. Salazar glared at him while Rowena and Helga Hufflepuff waited patiently. Finally Godric paused and surveyed his expectant friends. "I've had an interesting dream in which all of you featured," he began.

"You called us here to tell us about your dream? What is its relevance to our plans?" Salazar spluttered, incredulously.

"In my dream, an idea came to me about how we select students for the school," Godric explained. "We won't have to decide which student goes into each house. A magical object will decide for us. This object," he continued, taking off his hat and waving it with a flourish.

"A hat?" asked Salazar in disbelief. "You must be joking, Godric!"

"I'm not," Godric replied. "This hat has been my faithful companion since I was a young wizard, just coming of age. It has served me well and loyally. If I imbue it with magical properties, it can sense the qualities each of us most favors."

A contemplative silence followed his announcement. Rowena smiled and picked up the hat, turning it in her hands, "I know which qualities I'd ask for in a student!" she said, thoughtfully. "Intelligence, wit, a ready mind!"

Salazar rolled his eyes. "Rowena, all the intelligence in the world doesn't matter if their blood isn't pure."

"I disagree, Salazar," Helga interrupted. "Loyalty and friendship are more important than purity of blood."

"I agree with Helga," Godric said. "You know, Salazar, I think you overestimate the importance of blood. Many of the greatest witches and wizards are not pure-bloods. Some have Muggle lineage and some are the only magical branch of their family tree. I believe that talent should decide a student's future. His or her ancestry is not important. Why, I think a stout heart, chivalry, and nerves of Goblin steel are far more worthy traits."

Salazar guffawed heartily and clapped his hands, "Nerves of Goblin steel indeed! That sword has dulled your senses, despite the sharpness of its blade."

Godric smiled, "Salazar, my sword's brilliance pales in comparison to your intense and exceptionally sheer cunning."

"You flatter me, my friend," Salazar replied. "But you're right. It is ambition and shrewdness that will ensure success in the wizarding world."

Godric smiled, but Rowena spoke before he could respond, "Tell us more about your idea!" she exclaimed with enthusiasm, still turning the hat over in her hands. "I'm intrigued to know how you plan on bewitching this old hat."

"I'll need some of your best magic," Godric replied. "This hat will serve as a repository of knowledge and a guardian of our values. Most importantly, it will have the capacity to delve into the minds and hearts of our students and determine which one of our four Houses they belong in."

A short silence followed this speech. The other founders were mulling over the idea, trying to decide if it would work. Suddenly, Rowena's eyes lit up and she jumped to her feet, "I know what we should do! We can each siphon off a few of our souls' essences and instill the hat with them. In fact, the more potent the spirit, the more powerful the spell will be!"

"Siphon our souls' essences?" repeated Salazar suspiciously. "What if I prefer to keep my soul to myself? I'm quite attached to it, actually."

Godric rolled his eyes. "Salazar, you take everything so literally. I do not mean to split our souls, but to summon up a strong resemblance of our own personal beliefs in some physical manifestation. It will be a thinking hat, so it needs some brains! What say you, Salazar?" Godric finished, gazing at his friend, and clapped him on the shoulder as he handed him the hat.

Salazar gave him an exasperated look, but smiled and said, "If it knows that I prefer pure-bloods and will keep Slytherin pure, I won't have to worry, will I?"

Rowena and Helga looked at each other and sighed. Helga turned to Salazar and rolled her eyes. "I think the hat will have more important things to consider than your petty obsession with bloodlines."

Salazar glared at her but did not reply. Instead, he took out his wand, raised it to his temple, and muttered a quiet incantation. A stream of silvery gossamer strands flowed gracefully out of his forehead and into his wand. As he touched the tip to the hat, its brim quivered and momentarily gleamed with a bright, blue glow. Silently and reverently, each of the friends repeated his movements with their own wands, until all had infused their own essences and values into the hat's frayed and patched body.

Godric broke the silence. "Perhaps someone should try it on to see if it works." He plopped the hat on his head and its brim opened wide. "Gryffindor!" it shouted. Godric smiled broadly.

Helga jumped up, eager to be the next to try. The hat took a little longer this time, but eventually called out, "Hufflepuff!" Smiling happily, Helga passed it to Rowena, who placed it on her shock of dark hair. The hat immediately called out "Ravenclaw!" and she nodded with satisfaction. She proffered the hat to Salazar, who looked at it with disdain. With a sour expression, he put the hat on and waited.

After a considerable pause the hat began to speak softly into Salazar's ear. "Hmmmm," it mused, "you're trickier than the others. I see you have contrary thoughts. You want blood purity, but you also possess a keen mind, and have performed feats of bravery." Salazar frowned. He did not expect the hat to speak to him this way. "Slytherin House may not be the best fit for someone with your talents... Ravenclaw!" The final proclamation astounded them; Salazar most of all. He ripped it off his head and threw it down on the floor. He stood there, fuming.

Rowena was the first to speak. "That hat knows you better than you know yourself, Salazar."

Godric suppressed a smile as his friend kicked the hat petulantly. "The charm is faulty!" he raged, his face reddening at an alarming rate.

Salazar pulled out his wand, but Rowena yelled "Expelliarmus!" and it flew across the room where she sat, grinning, "It'll be interesting having you in my House, Salazar. Perhaps we could-"

"Don't be ridiculous!" Salazar snapped, stomping toward her and grabbing his wand from the floor. "I know how to fix the problem with this wretched hat!" Salazar said, his voice becoming more aggravated.

Godric grabbed Salazar's wand arm while Helga quickly snatched up the hat. "Now, now Salazar," Helga soothed, "there's no need to tamper with what our combined efforts produced. However, if it upsets you so much, why not try talking to the hat?"

Salazar rounded on Helga, looking furious, but then his expression softened. It was worth a try. Helga handed him the hat and Salazar again placed it on his head, muttering, "Alright, you bloody rag mop-"

"Tsk, tsk," the Sorting Hat remonstrated. "That really is no way for a great wizard such as yourself to be speaking, now is it?" Salazar grunted, then pointed his wand at the hat's brim.

"Wait!" cried Godric. "What are you doing?!" But it was too late. A flash of amber light illuminated the hat and faded. Smirking, Salazar handed the hat to Godric, who looked as if he was ready to explode. "I think I've fixed the problem," Salazar said with a self-satisfied smirk. "It will now take the wishes of the wearer into consideration before making its decision."

Helga stepped between the two men but Godric turned away, looking thoughtful, "Hmmm, Salazar. Perhaps you are right. Perhaps the hat should consider the wearer's wishes. After all, a person's choices are far more important than their abilities."

Helga and Rowena nodded and the four of them agreed that the hat would do its job admirably.

The night of the first Hogwarts sorting arrived. The founders looked at the students assembled in the Great Hall, their eager and anxious little faces looking around the cavernous room.

"Welcome to Hogwarts!" began Helga. "Before we begin eating, there is a tradition that will become integral to Hogwarts School through the ages. It involves dividing all of you into four Houses, each headed by one of us. You will not be required to perform any magic, don't worry," she assured them. "It's not dangerous. You will be called up one by one and will put on this hat." She held up the Sorting Hat for the assembled students to see. She then placed a stool in front of the teachers' table. "It will determine where you belong."

The students began talking all at once. "I am for Mistress Rowena," said a short, dark-haired boy.

"And I'd like to be with Master Godric!" a blond girl announced.

Helga held up her hand, "Silence, please. You must all form a line to the right. Listen for your names, which I'll be calling out in alphabetical order." As their names were called one after the other, the four House tables began to fill as each student found their place.

The Sorting Hat seemed to take great delight in its job. The founders, too, were pleased with the results of their efforts. Godric greeted each of his new students with a smile and beckoned them to his table with enthusiasm. Likewise, Salazar stood and looked around at his new students with benign interest.

"So," he mused. "You are all of pure Wizard blood and have the required qualities to be in my house."

The students nudged each other as they settled into their seats. Those closest to Salazar smiled at him nervously. Finally all the students were seated at their respective tables. The assembled group murmured excitedly as platters of food began to appear magically before them.

Rowena raised her goblet and held it high. "I would like to welcome you to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry! I see before me our first class of eager young witches and wizards. You all have the privilege of being in one of the best institutions of learning to ever be created. You will learn all the magical secrets that we have gleaned over the years. Through careful study and supervised practice, you will become the most skilled witches and wizards of your generation. ”Optumevoti!" At every table, students lifted their goblets and heartily toasted the founders and each other.

After the feast, the four friends relaxed by the fire, languidly sipping their after-dinner drinks. Godric held up the Sorting Hat and pronounced it a great success. "This hat may look plain, and a little frayed. But looks are deceiving, and this hat will guard our cherished traditions even when we have long since crossed beyond the veil."

"My dear friends," Salazar chimed in, "we have many years ahead of us here. And many generations of young witches and wizards will come of age here. Together, the four of us will help wizard folk accomplish their goal of getting the best education possible."

Helga and Rowena stood and linked arms. Raising their goblets, they said, "To the four of us! Hogwarts, Hogwarts forever!" they cheered. "May we never be divided!"

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #110 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 am

These stats were first posted by PatPat - Jul 10, 2009 1:28 am (#806 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 110

User
  # of Submissions  
  Verity Weasley     134
  Phoenixfeather   7
  Potteraholic     96
  PatPat   56
  Dryleaves     3
  Snuffles   4
  mona amon   28
  Quinn Crockett   21

Total Submissions: 399
Total Words: 1995
Last Submission Date: #804, July 9, 2009, 3:18 AM (Verity Weasley)
Total Time to Create Story: 28 days, 0 hours, 25 minutes

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #110 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:05 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:05 am (#2942 of 2960) [Edited Dec 3, 2010 10 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #110, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "The Birth of a Hat"

This story was written from June 11, 2009 to July 9, 2009. Nine writers contributed to the story, which is 1,995 words long. Four of the nine writers posted feedback.

- PatPat, Jul 10, 2009 1:31 am: There is our 110th story! I thought this one came out really well. I love these stories about characters and times we don't know much about. Once again, we kept it to one simple plot line and didn't overcomplicate things. I really think the story length limits are helping us to stay simple and write more concise and better stories. We just al need to remember the posts left count during the last 50 or so posts of the story. This really helps us to keep track of where we are going. Well done, everyone!

- Verity Weasley, Jul 10, 2009 6:05 am: Great job on getting the story and stats up so quickly PatPat! That last story took a long time to write - four weeks! But we had a nice variety of contributors. It always amazes me how so many different people manage to craft a story, piece by piece, and end up with a coherent, entertaining result. I also really liked our last story. It made a nice change writing about the founders, about whom we know so little. I particularly liked the first half of the story and the dialogue between the four founders. It felt very authentic.

- mona amon, Jul 10, 2009 8:33 am: Yes, the story turned out really well.

- Potteraholic, Jul 10, 2009 10:15 am: It was great fun writing the last story. I agree with everything that's been said already: PatPat's points about sticking to one simple plotline making for better storywriting, and updating post countdowns frequently; Verity's comment about writing dialogue that sounds authentic to the character speaking it; and mona's comment saying the story turned out well. I love it when we find interesting and specific vocabulary to express an idea - it cuts down on words, for one thing - and craft sentences that flow well, even when written by 4 or 5 people from around the globe.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #111

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 am

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Jul 25, 2009 4:51 pm (#1098 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Trio-c10

Potty Five Words: "A Neighborly Chat"

Arabella Figg dusted off her clothes to get rid of the cat hair scattered all over them. She was expecting a visit from Albus Dumbledore, to discuss the plans for watching over Harry Potter when he came to live with the Dursleys. Just then, the doorbell rang. "Hang on a moment," she called, shooing one of her cats from under the rocking chair. "Half a second!" Arabella shuffled over to the door, feeling a little anxious. Being a Squib, she had never felt very useful to the Order, so was eager to succeed in her job as Harry's minder. But Albus was not who Arabella saw when she opened the door.

"Evening, Mrs. Figg." Vernon Dursley stood on the doorstep, his jaw clenched. He was holding a grubby, broken wand by its handle. "Your... cat left this in my garden," he explained, "next to my wife's begonias," he continued, holding out a dead flower in his other hand.

"Oh," stammered Arabella, "I'm terribly sorry about that! Perhaps I can offer you a tissue? I wouldn't want you to get dirt on your clothes."

"Not necessary!" growled Vernon. "But I would appreciate you keeping your cats away from my garden in future."

"Of course," Arabella agreed, "won't you come in for a minute and sit down? We can discuss this over a cup of tea."

Vernon decided to oblige and followed Arabella inside. Tufty, Tibbles, Snowy, and Mr. Paws were lounging by the fireplace. Vernon looked at them with distaste, beginning to wish he had just finished his conversation with Arabella on the doorstep. Tufty, begonia-digger extraordinaire, hissed at Vernon as he got to his feet, stretching languidly. Vernon shooed him away, but Tufty just edged closer.

Arabella smiled, "Now, Tufty, you ought to mind your manners! Vernon is our guest!" She winked at him, then put the tea tray down on the table in front of Vernon, who reluctantly accepted a cup. "I am ever so sorry about your begonias. Let me replace them, please."

Vernon smiled weakly, his eyes lingering on the broken wand he'd left on the coffee table. "This... knitting needle... whatsit," he began, suspiciously.

"Oh, that's just some old thing I found — Tufty must have dragged it out of my crochet basket, the bad little creature!" Arabella scolded.

Tufty, quite unperturbed, slowly began to untie Vernon’s shoelace. "Oi! Gerroff me, cat! Listen, er, Mrs. Fogg — I think you need to have more control over these blasted animals! Untying shoelaces! Digging up begonias! I want the—"

When suddenly, the doorbell rang. "Oh, dear!" Arabella exclaimed. "I wonder who that could be?"

"It's probably Petunia," Vernon said, standing up quickly, as if to escape from Arabella's clutches.

"Wait! Jam! Gooseberry! I made a fresh batch this morning. You must take some home with you." Arabella bustled off to the front door.

Vernon was right. Petunia Dursley stood on the doorstep. "Good evening, Mrs. Figg I was wondering if you and my husband had finished your chat. Dudders needs his—" She broke off as she caught sight of Vernon hovering most attentively over a tin of custard creams.

"Vernon!" called Petunia. "Dudders wants to say something! Come quickly!"

Dudley was squirming in Petunia's arms. He opened his mouth and made a strangled sound, like a calf choking on hay. Petunia beamed.

"That's my boy," Vernon proclaimed proudly. A sudden CRACK! sounded from the street, causing Dudley to start crying. Arabella looked around anxiously, but the street seemed deserted. Nevertheless, she felt sure Dumbledore had arrived and was keen to get the Dursleys out of the way and safely back home.

"Here," said Arabella, picking up her string bag, "let me get that jam I promised you before you—"

"No, that's quite alright," Vernon said, pushing past Arabella. His foot caught on a tartan slipper that Tufty had played with earlier. As if in slow motion, Arabella began to move out of the way as Vernon toppled over, landing on the slipper. Petunia shrieked and Dudley started crying. Arabella helped Vernon up, but he brushed her hand away impatiently, his face reddening rapidly to the shade of a very ripe plum. Taking Petunia's arm, he steered her from the doorstep. If he had to stay any longer, Vernon would have started to jeopardize his good standing with his neighbors from Wisteria Walk.

Waving from the doorstep, Arabella watched as the Dursleys disappeared around the corner, then scanned the street for any sign of Dumbledore. A nearby privet hedge moved and Dumbledore stepped out, his long purple robes flowing behind him. "Good evening, Arabella," Dumbledore said. "I see you've been chatting with Harry's future guardians." He followed her inside quickly. "We have much to discuss."

"Are you sure Harry's safe from You-Know-Who?" Arabella asked with concern. "I'd like you to tell me what really happened at Godric's Hollow last night, Albus," she continued. "The rumors that have been circulating! I really don't know what to believe! Why, since I got your message, I've done nothing but—"

"Please, Arabella, forgive my interruption but, time is of the essence. The situation has changed dramatically since Voldemort disappeared, but we must not despair. Harry will be coming here to Little Whinging because it is the place where he'll be best protected."

"But why?" Arabella asked doubtfully, "I don't think the Dursleys will be good surrogate parents, Albus. I'd take him, the poor love, and raise him as my own.”

Dumbledore smiled, regretfully. "I know you would, Arabella. But this is complicated. I have my reasons." Sinking into a chair by the window, Arabella sighed and waited for Dumbledore to continue. "For your safety, it's better that you don't know the details, Arabella," Dumbledore said, seriously. "I'm already asking so much of you, I don't want to burden you more than necessary. I will only tell you this. The danger may not be over."

Arabella looked out of the window nervously. "You think the Death Eaters will come here?" she asked.

"It's a possibility we have to consider. As Alastor says, 'Constant vigilance!'"

"You go tell old Alastor," she began with uncharacteristic assertiveness, "my cats will be able to keep their eyes and their ears open. They'll act as sentries twenty-four hours a day!" She looked fondly at all four of her purring companions. "We'll have ten eyes between us and that's more than Alastor's two, even with that magical eye of his!"

Dumbledore smiled and leaned forward to stroke Snowball's fur. "I have every faith in you, Arabella," he said quite decisively. "Now, we need you to keep a close eye on young Harry Potter. He will be arriving later tonight. But you mustn't speak of this to anyone. The Dursleys must not know anything about your connection to the wizarding world, or they will never allow you to go near Harry. Do you think they suspect anything?" he asked, frowning.

"Dursley found the old wand Dung gave me for my birthday last year. His idea of a joke, no doubt."

"And?" Dumbledore asked pointedly.

"I convinced him it was from my crochet basket," Arabella explained. Dumbledore glanced over at the wand, still lying on the table where Vernon had left it. "A crochet hook? It looks more like a knitting needle to me," Dumbledore chuckled. "Mr. Dursley's knowledge of wizard artifacts is, fortunately nonexistent, as is his knowledge of Muggle crafts, it seems."

"Tufty, here, diverted his attention nicely, didn't you, boy?" Arabella crooned, and Tufty flicked his tail in approval. Dumbledore stood up quickly. "Leaving already, Albus?” Arabella asked. "You can't go without taking some jam home with you. I've made your favorite flavor."

"How wonderful! I have just finished the last of the jar you gave me for my birthday."

Dumbledore walked over to the front door while Arabella fetched the jam jars from the kitchen. "Here you are, Albus," she said, handing him two jars of raspberry jam, which he 
deftly placed in a pouch that looked much too small to fit them, but somehow both disappeared into it without any trouble.

At the door, Dumbledore turned around and said, "I'll be in touch, Arabella, by owl, nightly, for at least the next few weeks. If anything should happen during that time, you'll be able to send word that way." He stepped outside and then continued. "Let's hope the worst is over, and Harry's aunt and uncle will give him the love and care that he will need...” He trailed off, lost in thought.

"From those two?" Arabella interjected. "I have my doubts, Albus!"

Dumbledore frowned and said, "There is always hope that they will make the right choices and surprise us all. I hope."

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #111 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 am

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Jul 25, 2009 4:52 pm (#1099 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Statistics for Story 111

User
  # of Submissions  
  Verity Weasley    102
  mona amon   26
  Potteraholic     117
  PatPat   20
  Quinn Crockett     10
  freshwater   1
  Chemyst   3

Total Submissions: 289
Total Words: 1445
Last Submission Date: #1096, Jul 23, 2009, 2:04 am (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 12 days, 19 hours, and 59 minutes

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #111 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:10 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:05 am (#2941 of 2960) [Edited Dec 3, 2010 9 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
mooseyscountrygarden.com

Post-Story Comments for Story #111, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "A Neighborly Chat"

This story was written from July 10, 2009 to July 23, 2009. Seven writers contributed to the story, which is 1,445 words long. Three of the seven writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Jul 25, 2009 4:52 pm: Story #111 is up! I like it a lot. This was going to have been my shortest post-story comment in Five Words history! But then I thought I'd mention that I had a hard time coming up with the title. Having no time to mull it over, I just went with "A Neighborly Chat" and hope for the best. On with the next story!

- Verity Weasley, Jul 25, 2009 9:56 pm: Great job posting the story and stats, PAH. The title is very fitting, as always. This was a nice little story. We had some interesting lines of dialogue and I think we have introduced a new character with a lot of potential in young Tufty! I'd like to explore more of Arabella's world in future stories, perhaps when we are not so restricted by canon.

- PatPat, Jul 26, 2009 3:28 am: Great job posting the story, as always, PAH! I like the title as well. I definitely think this turned out to be a nice little story with some great dialogue and interesting character development. Well done, everyone! I also like this idea for a story. I always love exploring characters that we know very little about. It gives us a little leeway to be creative!

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #112

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:11 am

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 11, 2009 8:37 pm (#1361 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 AGLeafBullseyeavatar

Potty Five Words: "The Eye and the Storm"

Professor Sinistra looked at the clock. It was nearly dark and soon time to go up to the tower for her meeting with Professor Trelawney. She was just about to leave her office when a strange thought occurred to her. She stopped for a moment and thought, I wonder if Sybil knows that the centaurs have been studying the skies lately. It is an interesting coincidence that she should ask me to come to the Astronomy Tower tonight.

She walked slowly up the stairs, still pondering her colleague's sudden interest in stargazing. It wasn't like Sybil Trelawney to be thinking of anything beyond her tower office. This was the first time she could remember Sybil ever requesting a meeting with her. Sybil was already waiting at the Astronomy Tower when she got there.

“Ah, Aurora," Sybil began. "Thank you for getting here so quickly. I wonder if you noticed how bright Mars is tonight? Something very strange, dark, and mysterious is going to happen soon and I need your help deciphering what this could portend." She looked at Aurora through thick spectacles, her eyes wide with excitement. "Do you think it means something?"

Aurora looked at Sybil with exasperation. "Astronomy, Sybil, is a very exact science, unlike that wishy-washy astrology you..." She stopped herself from further elaboration.

Sybil looked affronted and pulled her fringed shawl around her shoulders. "Astrology relies on the stars," she began, "and anyway science isn't everything. I should know that. The Inner Eye sees beyond what any narrow-minded, dull scientist can measure."

"Why ask for my help if you don't believe in rational thought? I'm not in the mood to explain celestial phenomena to someone who thinks my field is pointless. Perhaps you should have asked the centaurs instead."

Sybil gaped at her. "The centaurs? But whatever do you mean, Aurora? The centaurs are not the creatures who are likely to be able to help us! They do not possess the Inner Eye!"

Aurora decided this was going nowhere and started again. "Sybil, what was your reason for asking me to meet you here tonight? I would like to go back to my office and start preparing for tomorrow's lessons."

Sybil sighed, "The real reason I came to you, Aurora, is because I have a feeling that something is not right in the forest. I can sense that strange events are imminent. And the planet Saturn is in an unfavorable alignment. I am very afraid..." She broke off as a voice was carried to them on the wind.

"Severus, I understand your desire to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts but I cannot allow you to do it." Dumbledore and Snape's voices died away just as the door opened and they entered, to find the tower-top already occupied.

Aurora smiled nervously, while Sybil looked annoyed at the interruption.

"Good evening, Sybil...Aurora," Dumbledore said. "I had no idea this tower was occupied. Sorry for intruding on your conversation. Severus and I were just discussing the upcoming term. We have a rather interesting batch of new students who will be arriving next week."

Aurora noticed that Dumbledore was carrying a small roll of parchment in his hand, which he’d tucked inside his robes as he stepped through the doorway. Professor Snape followed, his eyebrows raised interrogatively.

"An interesting time for a secret meeting," he remarked. "And, surely, Professor Trelawney, you would rather be crystal gazing than star gazing."

Sybil sniffed, haughtily. "For those of us who possess the gift of Sight, neither crystal gazing nor star gazing are taken lightly."

Dumbledore smiled, his eyes twinkling. "Surely, Severus, Sybil and Aurora may meet wherever they choose, without consulting us. I am sure they have pressing matters to discuss.”

"Oh Headmaster, we weren't really going to discuss anything that important." Aurora paused and turned quickly to face Sybil, who returned her gaze. "Were we, Sybil?" she asked.

"We were talking about how there is something amiss in the forest," she began. "I have observed the unicorns running around, restlessly, and my crystal gazing has portended some as yet unrevealed but still foreboding images."

"Images?" Dumbledore seemed genuinely interested, piquing the curiosity of both Snape and Aurora.

"Yes, Headmaster. You'd be amazed at how dynamic and shifting the portents are, even when their exact appearance is indiscernible. Dark and strange events are what they undoubtedly signify." Sybil paused dramatically before proceeding. "And I think they might indicate we are all in danger. Unless I'm mistaken, the lightning bolt I have seen is a warning! There is a storm coming!"

Dumbledore nodded and said, "But Sybil, we have faced many other storms and outbursts here at Hogwarts. I think we can weather this one, too."

"No, Headmaster!" Sybil exclaimed. "This is a tempest without equal, marked by pain and a cloud of misery!"

"A cloud of misery?" Snape smirked, his eyebrows raised. "How can clouds be miserable? Enlighten us."

Sybil sniffed impatiently, and ignored his question.

Aurora, however, looked mildly interested, and asked, "How long have you been seeing these images, Sybil?"

"Since the sherry arrived from Hogsmeade, I should think!" interposed Snape silkily. "I've noticed you've been having an extra glass or two at dinner."

"Severus. Please refrain from any more comments regarding Sybil's drinking habits.” Dumbledore added, "We all have our little indulgences. I recall a bottle of elf-made wine, which we shared yesterday... you seemed to rather enjoy it, considering I didn't get more than a goblet's worth."

Snape was unruffled. "That, Headmaster, is very true. I will have to admit that your wine selection is truly excellent. I must try to contain myself in future."

Aurora's lips curled in a slight smile as she tried to picture Severus Snape after having a couple of drinks too many. She had never once seen the saturnine Potions Master lose his composure, but the idea of him cracking an inebriated grin had a certain appeal.

Sybil's clinking bracelets reminded Aurora that she still didn't know the answer to her question. "Sybil, you were about to tell us how long you've been having these visions," she reminded her.

"Oh Aurora, I've been seeing them for months! They are always the same: serpentine, tumultuous masses punctuated by a bolt of lightning. It casts a fiery light over them, its power and brilliance banishing the darkness of the night!" Sybil let out a long and dramatic sigh, and an eerie silence descended upon the four of them.

Dumbledore spoke first. "Lightning," he murmured softly. "Even the smallest burst could be the herald of great change." He touched his forehead absently. "I wonder if the lightning may be a signal of a positive change and, hopefully, a lasting one."

Sybil seemed a little deflated by Dumbledore's calm appraisal of those ominous portents, but Aurora was quite excited by his words. A look of comprehension dawned on her face. "Headmaster, do you mean that he's coming to Hogwarts at last?"

Snape nodded, slowly. "Almost ten years since..." His voice faltered and he turned away, leaving the others looking at each other in surprise.

"What's the matter, Severus? You seem a little distracted," Aurora asked.

"If that's all, Headmaster, I'll take my leave," Snape muttered, his eyes downcast.

"Certainly, Severus," Dumbledore answered quietly.

Snape left without a word.

Sybil looked at the others as though she was trying to decipher a particularly unsuggestive clump of tea leaves. "What's going on? Why did Severus leave so abruptly? And who's coming to Hogwarts?"

Dumbledore and Aurora exchanged amused glances. Sybil's "inner vision" was cloudy, apparent to everyone but herself. The others turned to leave. "Wait!" Sybil cried. "What about my warning? The Inner Eye? The lightning bolt?"

"Don't worry Sybil," said Dumbledore lightly, "each storm shall pass, in due course. You mark my words."

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #112 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 am

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 11, 2009 8:38 pm (#1362 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Statistics for Story 112

User
  # of Submissions  
  Potteraholic     66
  Quinn Crockett     36
  Dryleaves   7
  Verity Weasley     44
  PatPat   39
  mona amon   57
  Kip Carter   1
  Julia H.   8

Total Submissions: 259
Total Words: 1295
Last Submission Date: #1358, Sep 9, 2009, 12:31 am (Verity Weasley)
Total Time to Create Story: 45 days, 19 hours, and 39 minutes

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #112 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:13 am

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:06 am (#2944 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

Post-Story Comments for Story #112, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "The Eye and the Storm"

This story was written from July 25, 2009 to September 9, 2009. Eight writers contributed to the story, which is 1,295 words long. Five of the eight writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Sep 11, 2009 8:51 pm: Well, Story #112 is up, Verity! (And everyone else!) It took a month and a half to write! So... how does it read? I think it turned out well, in the end, but I'm a bit biased, I s'pose.

- Verity Weasley, Sep 12, 2009 5:59 am: It's hard to believe the previous story took a month and a half to write, when it can be read in just a couple of minutes. I actually enjoyed it and it didn't feel laboured at all. I was afraid it might, as it seemed to be such a struggle to write. But it turned out quite well, and I liked the characterisation. Snape and Trelawney were particularly well-drawn, I thought.

- Dryleaves, Sep 12, 2009 9:23 am: I think the last story was a nice one. I agree with Verity about the characterisation. I think that was the strength of the story. And I agree with Aurora that it would be quite an experience to see Snape having a couple of drinks too many, but I suspect a story like that might not be forum friendly...

- mona amon, Sep 12, 2009 10:58 am: Yes, the story did turn out well, even though there were days when we managed only about two posts! I think we managed to get Severus just right, not too sentimental or anything. And this story gave us an opportunity to use some really nice words like 'ominous' and 'portents' and 'inebriated' and 'tumultuous'.

- Potteraholic, Sep 12, 2009 12:42 pm: mona, my personal favorite interesting word in that story was ... the saturnine Potions Master... ~ mona
And I don't see why we can't continue the cavalcade of creative words in this story!

- Julia H., Sep 13, 2009 10:32 am: I really liked the last story. It was nice to participate a little in the end.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #113

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:16 pm

This story was first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am (#1604 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Tonks_11

Potty Five Words: "A Family Gathering"

It was Sunday morning. Remus was in a desperate hurry. He was already late, and Tonks would be upset if he missed yet another meeting with her parents. Her patience had started to crack when he had booked himself for a trip, via portkey, to Paris. He was going to have to apologize profusely this time; there was no avoiding it.

Remus gathered up his bag and some ruby red elf-made wine he had bought as a present for Tonks' parents. Wand in hand, he focused on his destination. The instant he envisioned her home, he felt the air compress around him. He landed, suddenly, in the dark lane outside the Tonks family home. Remus strode quickly up the garden path, but suddenly his courage failed him and he hovered by the front steps.

"What are you doing standing in the flower beds? We've been waiting for over an hour!" Tonks snapped from the doorway.

Remus stepped forward into the hall. "Sorry," he mumbled, looking down at his shoes. He removed his shabby traveling cloak, shyly revealing the rose he had plucked for her before Apparating.

Her face lit up as she saw the flower. "Oh... Remus," she said softly. "You've never given me flowers before! You don't have to bring me gifts. I know you can't afford them."

Remus almost told her that he had not paid for it, but accepted her thanks with a smile. Tonks took his hand and led him into the living room. Andromeda and Ted were sitting on the sofa. Tonks' parents both rose when they entered and shook Remus' hand. The friendly gesture made Remus feel happy and sad; happy that he had finally found someone to love him, sad that he didn't have more to offer.

"Welcome, Remus!" said Tonks' father. "Andromeda and I are so happy to finally welcome you to our home. We've heard so much about you."

Andromeda added, "And we were starting to think that you might be frightened of meeting us."

"We're harmless folks," said Ted Tonks, winking. "We don't bite, you know."

Remus shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Tonks' parents didn't know his secret, he realized with a pang. This was going to be even more difficult than he had anticipated. Taking Tonks' hand in his, he cleared his throat and said, "Mr. and Mrs. Tonks, there's something I have to tell you. He paused and glanced at Tonks.

"Go on, tell them now, sweetheart!" Tonks said, smiling encouragingly at Remus, who could feel his heart pounding.

Ted and Andromeda looked expectantly at Remus. Andromeda said, "It sounds like there might be a secret between the two of you."

"It's really my secret," Remus sighed miserably. "I've been carrying the weight of it since my childhood. The only way I can tell you is to just say it, and hope you'll understand, though I won't be surprised if you don't..."

"Tell us, Remus," Andromeda coaxed, gently. "We are only human, so we all have our problems."

"Yes," Ted replied. "There's a skeleton hidden in everyone's closet. You are our daughter's friend and if she is fine with you, I don't see why—"

"I'm a werewolf." The words left a ringing silence in the room as Ted and Andromeda stared at him in shocked disbelief. Tonks softly stroked Remus' hand. He exhaled deeply. He had confessed his secret to them, at last. Now they knew he was a monster, things couldn't get any worse.

"Mum, Dad, say something," Tonks said, but her parents remained mute. "Dad, remember what you just said! I love you both, but I love Remus too! He is not a bad man! In fact, he is the nicest, most tender-hearted and lovable man I know. He can't help what was done to him, and he does everything he can to avoid hurting people."

Remus rose quickly and said, "I should probably leave so you can—"

"You're not going anywhere! You're staying here till we get this sorted out," Tonks said fiercely.

Her parents exchanged anxious looks. "Calm down, Dora," Ted said. "And Remus, please don't go away. It's a bit of a shock, but, as I said, you're Dora's friend."

"Yeah, Dad, he is!" Tonks declared, linking her arm in his.

"Nymphadora, how long have you known about this? You never told us anything!" Andromeda gently rebuked.

"I've always known, just as I've always known what a kind, generous person he is."

"I understand that dear, but you must realize that this has certain implications... for the future... should you have children... have you talked about getting married? Or—"

"Your concerns are perfectly justified," Remus said. "A life with a werewolf is an experiment, a big risk. Many would rather leave than stay to find out what happens." He cast a meaningful glance at Tonks, then said, "I've explained this to you, but you still want to be with me."

"Yes," Tonks said, looking squarely at her parents. "Look, the transformations don't happen unpredictably. As long as Remus drinks his Wolfsbane Potion when the full moon is coming, he won't suffer the full effects of his condition, so he can lead a fairly normal life without harming anyone." Tonks glared at her parents as they sat, silently, mulling over the situation. Remus continued to look at Tonks with concern.

At last Ted nudged his wife, who was sitting deep in thought. "Dromeda! I know it'll take some getting used to, but remember when you introduced me to your parents? They looked at me as though I was a flobberworm.

Andromeda winced as she recalled the painful memory, but a moment later, her face softened and she gave Remus a watery smile. "If Dora's quite sure you're the one for her then we can think the same, too."

"Thanks, Mum," Tonks enthused. "I knew you'd understand! I remember you telling me how you got blasted off the family tree tapestry in your parents' house. I hope it can be restored one day."

"I don't need a place on an old tapestry! My present family means more to me now, and I'd never force you to choose between us and the man you love!" Andromeda declared. "Your happiness is very important to us."

Tonks got up and hugged both her parents. "I knew that you would understand."

"Right, our lunch is getting cold," announced Ted, standing up, moving to the table, and raising his glass of wine. The others followed suit. "Here's to Dora and Remus!" Ted began, looking at the young couple.

"Ehrm..." Remus shifted his gaze quickly, from Tonks to her parents, and back again. Perhaps it was time he made his intentions clear, once and for all. "Mr. and Mrs. Tonks, your daughter is a wonderful woman and I love her, very much. She thinks I can make her happy, and I will try my best to do so. All I ask is that you give me a chance. A chance to settle down and have some time together before life in the wizarding world gets even worse than it is now."

"Let's raise our glasses once again," said Ted, with a pensive smile. "To Dora and Remus! And to a peaceful life together!"

This story was later revised in Volume XII, and can be found here.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:19 pm; edited 3 times in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #113 stats

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm

These stats were first posted by Potteraholic - Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am (#1605 of 2999) on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Statistics for Story 113

User
  # of Submissions  
  mona amon   28
  Verity Weasley    23
  Dryleaves   34
  Potteraholic     86
  azi   18
  PatPat   11
  Julia H.     38
  legolas returns   2

Total Submissions: 240
Total Words: 1200
Last Submission Date: #1603, Sep 29, 2009, 10:19 am (Potteraholic)
Total Time to Create Story: 17 days, 6 hours, and 54 minutes

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Archive of Five Words Stories - Volume XI, Story #113 post-story comments

Post  Potteraholic Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 pm

These post-story comments were first posted by Potteraholic - Nov 24, 2010 7:07 am (#2945 of 2960) [Edited Dec 13, 2010 7 am] on the World Crossing home of the 'Harry Potter Lexicon Forum'.

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Post-Story Comments for Story #113, Volume XI,
Potty Five Words: "A Family Gathering"

This story was written from September 12, 2009 to September 29, 2009. Eight writers contributed to the story, which is 1,200 words long. Two of the eight writers posted feedback.

- Potteraholic, Sep 30, 2009 1:04 am: Story #113 is up! And it took just over 2 weeks to finish! Yay! That's a BIG improvement from the previous story, which took 45 days! I liked this story, but I must admit, trying to figure out how Tonks and Remus would speak to each other once their relationship became a romantic one, made writing their dialogue a bit tricky for me. I really didn't/don't think they were overly sentimental with each other but, what do I know?

- Julia H., Sep 30, 2009 7:15 am: I liked the previous story and enjoyed writing it. The reason why I did not participate more at then end of the story (despite several calls to write the ending and despite my own intentions) was that I was (like Mona) uncomfortable with writing a toast. I'm not sure I could make it sound realistic enough.

I must admit, trying to figure out how Tonks and Remus would speak to each other once their relationship became a romantic one, made writing their dialogue a bit tricky for me. (PAH)

I don't think they always have to sound romantic and sentimental just because they love each other, especially when other people are present. Not everyone is like Lav-Lav.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Archive of Five Words Stories - Page 13 Empty Re: Archive of Five Words Stories

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down