HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV)

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 Empty Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV)

Post  Mona on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:28 am

slip a little into Slughorn's

LOL about Verity getting splinched! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 1003735042

I thought it'd be convenient if Sev had a bottle of mead handy to spike and then present to Sluggy, but it doesn't seem a likely thing for him to have. Perhaps Lily can get some?

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 Empty Story #139

Post  Potteraholic on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 Deathly_Hallows_book_Art_%28Chapter_33%29

drink."

"What drink? When?" Lily                

To explain my words... Okay, so if Lily can get the mead or whatever beverage, would Sluggy just have a taste of it right then and there, when she gives it to him, and luckily, Sev just happens to be there? Just to clarify... Sluggy's got to drink the potion before the Slug Club party, right, so that when he's in an even more jovial mood, he'll extend Sev an invite to the party. Lunch is over, classes are cancelled for Hallowe'en... the party's later on that night, after the feast. When's the likeliest opportunity for Sluggy to have a sip of this potion slipped into some drink he's drinking? Only time I can think of is during the presentation the ghosts are making before the feast. (It's in one of the earlier updates.) Perhaps Sluggy'll be having a drink then, making the procuring of a bottled beverage unnecessary? Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2398211921

Last edited by Potteraholic on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 Empty Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV)

Post  Betelgeuse Black on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:51 pm

asked. "Too bad crystallized pineapple

is solid.

Is it the day of the party already? I would think it would be a good idea to get him to invite Sevie to the party early or before it starts. Or maybe slip him the mickey at the party? Either way, Lily will have to do some fast talking to wheedle an invite out of him. Well, she's charming, isn't she? Those big green eyes...(sigh)

BB
Betelgeuse Black
Betelgeuse Black
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:14 pm

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 Deathly_Hallows_book_Art_%28Chapter_33%29

is solid. Slughorn's always eating                

Great use of canon, BB! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2222139670 If Sev 'slips the mickey' to Sluggy at the party, Sev will have to crash the party. I propose that he get an early invite, somehow, to keep our story simpler, and within the 2,000 word limit.

We started this story almost a month ago, to the day, and in that time, it's been easy to forget what's happened in it so far. (I know I forgot some things, like the costume requirement.) So I thought it would be good to post a timeline/summary now to avoid inconsistencies that we have to try and work around later. Yes, I know they give our stories a 'Five Wordsy feel', as folks have mentioned in past post-story comments, but they make for overly long stories, in my opinion, and as the compiler, they take more time and thought to deal with in the end, which I'd like to avoid, if at all possible.

A quick review of what we've got so far will help us to avoid unnecessary plot inconsistencies and remember to work in any loose ends, (in bold). And we are approaching 1,400 words out of a 2,000 word max. 600 words can go quickly. Update #8 to be posted shortly.

Quick timeline/summary of this story:

• It's Hallowe’en morning.
• Sev gives Lily a present: jobberknoll feathers; she’s baffled by the gift.
• At breakfast Lily hears about Sluggy’s party, being held after feast. Costumes required. Sev not invited.
• During lunch, Sev develops the idea for making some potion to use on Sluggy to get an invite. Thinks about putting it in some mead; he never says this aloud. Does research in the library after lunch.
• Lily sees him there. She tells him that in addition to classes being cancelled, ghosts will give a performance before the feast.
• Sev asks for her help to make Elixir to Induce Euphoria. Explains reason. Lily needs some convincing, then agrees.
• A few hours later, the pair have made the potion. Now, they need to think of how to get it into Sluggy, as the party is just a few hours later.

EDIT: Our story's not really about what happens at Slughorn's party, is it? It's really about Sev getting an invite to the party/Slug Club, right? (So the costume requirement is not really a loose end and can be conveniently not written about again.) We could just end our story once Sev gets the invite, couldn't we?

story update #8   268 posts, 1340 words

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:45 pm

that."

"The best chance will

I managed to avoid being splinched, thankfully! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 1003735042

(So the costume requirement is not really a loose end and can be conveniently not written about again.) We could just end our story once Sev gets the invite, couldn't we?

LOL PAH! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 1003735042 That sounds good to me! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2752390508

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:08 pm

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

be while the ghosts perform .               

Okay, Verity, ending the story at Sev getting his invite it is! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2222139670 Now... on to finding an opportune time for Sev to do the deed. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 1003735042

ALL 13 WX volumes of Five Word stories are posted - all 133 stories - except for The Daily Prophet one, which still needs to be reformatted. Woo hoo! I'm just reformatting the titles, and some other text, and adding links to the finished stories, stats, and post-story comments to the stories here on forumotion. The it's on to the stories-by-topic chart! Woo hoo! bounce

EDIT: Added a period/full-stop to the end of my post, since the next post starts with a new sentence.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:01 am

I'll try to get a

Way to go, PAH! cheers

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:59 am

few drops into his mead

Woo hoo PAH! 1000 points to your house! Plus an Award for Special Services to Five Words! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 3735003615

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:14 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

, or whatever he's drinking then."               

Before: "The best chance will be while the ghosts perform I'll try to get a few drops into his mead...

Hmmm... that didn't sound right, so I went and inserted a period/full stop where my post ended, at the end of 'perform'. (I originally left it unpunctuated because I thought 'perform' would be followed up by ''before the feast' or something.)

After: "The best chance will be while the ghosts perform. I'll try to get a few drops into his mead...

Thanks, Mona and Verity! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2222139670

Because the threads are shorter here on forumotion, the Volume indexes will be shorter. WX Volumes had anywhere from 7 to 11 stories. Volume XIV here? Only 4! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 266347159

EDIT: added a " to show a change in speaker.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Betelgeuse Black on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:19 am

"I'll suggest inviting you when

BB Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 858139975

EDIT: Added " to show a change in speaker. ~PAH

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : changed post title to story #139)
Betelgeuse Black
Betelgeuse Black
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:47 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

..." Lily paused, "... when I see

Hmmm... I think we've lost track of who's speaking somewhere along the line. Here is the latest bit of the story, where punctuation I had to add is in red.

"It's perfect!" Severus declared, removing the cauldron from the flame. "Now, all we need to do is slip a little into Slughorn's drink."

"What drink? When?" Lily asked. "Too bad crystallized pineapple is solid. Slughorn's always eating that."

"The best chance will be while the ghosts perform. I'll try to get a few drops into his mead, or whatever he's drinking then."

"I'll suggest inviting you when..." Lily paused, "... when I see
I know only Lily could ask Sluggy for an invite for Sev, so it's clearly Lily speaking, but it doesn't hurt to show it's her, to avoid any other confusion later on. Identifying speakers always helps in long stretches of conversation, where it's easy to lose track of who's speaking. So does using quotation marks. I left my post quote-free in case the next poster wanted to add anything to what Sev was saying. If the next poster wants to finish any previous post's dialogue, then he/she needs to add an ending quotation mark, to show that, like this:

"

"Let's go to...
* (This is just an example.)

So in the last 2 posts, I added a " to indicate that Sev just finished talking in my previous post and " at the start of BB's post to show that Lily is now talking. And my words state that, in no uncertain terms. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2752390508 It'd be great if folks could keep an eye out for changes in speaker. Thanks! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2222139670

Last edited by Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:05 am; edited 2 times in total

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:36 pm

he's starting to look ... euphoric

Thanks for sorting out the confusion, PAH. I came last night and saw that there were some missing speech marks resulting in some confusion about who was speaking, but I didn't have time to write a long post, so I ended up not posting at all!

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 pm

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

."

Sev agreed, slipping the flask
            I figured he's got to carry the potion in something.

Verity Weasley wrote:Thanks for sorting out the confusion, PAH. I came last night and saw that there were some missing speech marks resulting in some confusion about who was speaking, but I didn't have time to write a long post, so I ended up not posting at all!
LOL, Verity, I was going to leave it as well, to avoid writing another long post, but then I thought, if I didn't deal with it now, there might be more confusion to sort out later. So long post it was... *sigh* and hopefully, it'll help.

While the action of the story itself may not be dragging, the current writing pace is making it very easy for anyone who's still around and posting, to forget what's happened/-ing and who's talking... hence my eagerness for this story to end so we can move on to something else that's shorter, with less to keep track of. I really do think we do better with the shorter stories we've written, the under 1,000 worders, especially when we have fewer posters, and less frequent posting.

*** fingers crossed *** this story wraps up in about a week.

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:48 am

inside his robes. The pair

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:56 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

arranged to meet in the            

I figure it's not time for the ghosts' performance quite yet... maybe an hour or so from now? I'm assuming they were using an empty classroom to brew the potion...

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:07 am

entrance hall before the performance

Hey PAH, do you remember the story we wrote when Albus Severus was Sorted into Slytherin? Do you by any chance remember what the title was or which volume it was in? My son is writing a fanfiction on that topic and I thought it would be helpful for him to read it, but I can't find it! I had a look through the most recent volumes, as I don't think it was that long ago, but I didn't have any luck.

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:21 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

An hour later, the Great
                Maybe a quick description of the atmosphere? To set the scene?

Verity, I remembered that story was started by Phoenixfeather, and thought it was a later volume as well. But it's in Volume VI! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 266347159 Finn titled it, fittingly enough, "Hogwarts, the Next Generation". And if your son likes to write fanfic, maybe he should join us here on Five Words. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 464751818

I'm around for a little while in case anyone has time to knock out a few posts. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2752390508

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:43 am

Hall was packed with students

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:06 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

, sitting on benches arranged in                 .

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 am

rows in front of a

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:12 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

large black velvet curtain hanging                

Spoiler:
... from the ceiling? The ghosts won't be needing a stage, necessarily, will they? They can be floating in front of it, perhaps. And the staff table can be nearby, maybe, with Sluggy's goblet there?

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:56 am

from the ceiling. Severus and

Hi PAH! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2752390508

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:07 am

Lily managed to position themselves

Thanks PAH! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 1003735042

Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 am

image c/o
harrypotter.wikia.com

, unobtrusively, near the staff table.                

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2752390508 Looks like I missed the chance to have a bit of a spree, Mona and Verity. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XV) - Page 22 2222139670

Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:14 am

None of the teachers had

Alas! Earwax!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 41 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 41  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum