HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prequel Postcard

Go down

Prequel Postcard Empty Prequel Postcard

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 am

Prequel Postcard

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. At that time, this thread was still set in the "New Discussions Threads Not Approved or Placed" folder of the WC forum. The original title of this thread was "Prequel Postcard - Spoilers", which I changed to "Prequel Postcard" only. Elanor

Liz Mann - Jun 11, 2008 12:07 pm
JoEdited by Kip Carter Jun 19, 2008 6:05 pm
I just read it. It's quite amusing actually. James and Sirius breaking wizard and muggle law, how surprising. Elvendork. *snort*
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Prequel Postcard Empty Prequel Postcard (Post 1 to 67)

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:04 am

freshwater - Jun 11, 2008 3:34 pm (#1 of 67)
Connections, speculation, discussion: the best part of HP reading! Check out the on-going HP Lex Forum series re-read! Currently reading GoF...
Yes, it's on the Waterstones site. A nice, quick look at James and Sirius on the motorbike. It's worth the trouble to check it out.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 11, 2008 3:46 pm (#2 of 67)

LOL @ Elvendork! I about died laughing!

- - - - - - - - - -
Verity Weasley - Jun 11, 2008 6:29 pm (#3 of 67)

I just read it. Jo's handwriting was a little hrd to read in places but I managed to decipher it. It was very good and very funny. If only there was more!

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 11, 2008 8:45 pm (#4 of 67)

LOL Verity! And you're a teacher, too! (I checked.) I see so many bad hands (including my own) that Jo's looks pretty good to me, aside from being a bit too small. Then again, primary kids probably write better than older kids, who often are sloppy or write too small as a way of protest. I agree that there should be more.

Come to think of it, she could unfold the history of the young Marauders, as well as the histories of Lily, Snape, Molly and Arthur, etc., in a series of short stories. Think how fun that would be!

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 11, 2008 9:59 pm (#5 of 67)

As I've already stated, I want a prequel with all of our beloved adult characters in their youth.

I'm pretty good with deciphering handwriting, but JKR's is difficult at times (perhaps because it's so small as well). I read 'scrape' as 'serape', then thought, "wait a minute, that doesn't make sense!"

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Jun 11, 2008 10:01 pm (#6 of 67)

Mom of 4 in serious lurker mode.
Why were egging on that poor plees-man? What did he ever do to them, James and Sirius?

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 11, 2008 10:09 pm (#7 of 67)

Well, it's just the fact that he exists, if you know what I mean.

- - - - - - - - - -
shepherdess - Jun 11, 2008 10:26 pm (#8 of 67)

55 year old mother of 3, step-mother of 2, grandmom to 3, living in Oklahoma
I'm glad she wrote it, and I'm glad I got to read it. But as a story it left a lot to be desired. It's more like a piece of a story.

"We'd have loved to stop for a chat, only we were trying--"..to what? Why did James and Sirius allow themselves to be cornered? Who were the three wizards and why were they after James and Sirius? Did the officers' memories have to be wiped? How did someone that fat get to be a police officer in the first place?

There are more questions than there was story.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verity Weasley - Jun 12, 2008 3:03 am (#9 of 67)

Edited Jun 12, 2008 3:39 am
How did someone that fat get to be a police officer in the first place? (Shepherdess) LOL

Yes, clearly this is just one of the many unanswered questions from the story, although possibly not the one that immediately springs to mind! It definitely felt like part of a story, rather than a self-contained tale. For those of you who would like to fill in more details, especially concerning the Marauders backstory, you should pop over to the Five Words thread on the Fanfiction Forum, where we regularly create such stories (there is one in progress right now.)

ETA: The other stories are worth a look too. I enjoyed the ones by Tom Stoppard and Neil Gaiman the best (other than JKR of course!) and I consider Doris Lessing to have the worst handwriting of them all!

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 12, 2008 5:41 am (#10 of 67)

Join us for the Philosopher's Stone Watch-A-Long
Shepherdess - I think the point was that it was supposed to be an extract from a non-existant longer story. I assumed that the wizards on brooms were Death Eaters, as this is supposed to be set around about their first year out of school and judging from the phoenix on their jackets (the symbol that the policeman think is for a rock band) they're already in the Order. I assumed at first that James and Sirius were just horsing around being law-disregarding rebel teenagers, but thinking about it the fact that the Death Eaters came down on them like that might suggest that they were on a mission and unfortunately the policemen got involved. Certainly the attack doesn't seem like a coindicence.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jun 12, 2008 9:04 am (#11 of 67)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
Verity - "How did someone that fat get to be a police officer in the first place?"

Why, Honeychild, in certain small, backwoods Southern towns, having a huge beer-belly and a plug of tobacco in your jaw is a requirement for joining the police force. LOL

- - - - - - - - - -
Quinn Crockett - Jun 12, 2008 10:39 am (#12 of 67)

"Yes! I'm impugning a continent!"
I think one of the main requirements of the contest (for "regular people") is that the story should leave the reader wanting more. JKR definitely succeeds there.

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Jun 12, 2008 12:00 pm (#13 of 67)

from the other side (of the Channel)
"LOL @ Elvendork! I about died laughing!" (Solitaire)
As I did not roll of laughing, I think maybe there is an English language joke there... I coming back to you for help!
(and I wonder why I didn't write on the Forum those last months? You regular guys are so... potterish - I'm just coming from the goanna "odd" thing )

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Jun 12, 2008 12:22 pm (#14 of 67)

Hello Luna!

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Jun 10, 2008 11:24 pm (#15 of 67)

Edited by Kip Carter Jun 12, 2008 2:11 pm
Yeah ! Some news about the motorcycle, by JK Rowling herself ! See on the Waterstones site her (too small ) text.

Thread Edit Notes: Beginning with this post and continuing through the next ten messages are the eleven posts that were added to the old Sirius Black's Motorcycle thread instead of being a part of a new thread.

Reading through these eleven "moved" posts may be confusing to some being that the post prior to this message was made after many of the following posts. I hope this makes sense.

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna L. Black - Jun 11, 2008 3:42 am (#16 of 67)

Nice story, no doubt

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Jun 11, 2008 4:49 am (#17 of 67)

And what a style ! JK Rowling herself...

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 11, 2008 7:21 am (#18 of 67)

The eyes are the windows to the soul...
Who else besides me was totally expecting the policemen to turn into the dead-end alley only to find it empty?

- - - - - - - - - -
Julia H. - Jun 11, 2008 8:55 am (#19 of 67)

I was.

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 11, 2008 10:31 am (#20 of 67)

What are you guys talking about?

- - - - - - - - - -
journeymom - Jun 11, 2008 10:40 am (#21 of 67)

JKR's prequel short story is on Waterstone's web site: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Chemyst has a better link on the Chat thread, but this one works as well!

Yes, that's what I was expecting, too, Madam Pince.

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 11, 2008 10:50 am (#22 of 67)

Thanks, journeymom.

Forget sequels with those strange new kids, I want a prequel!!!!!

Oh, and Hagrid(?) is right, James and Sirius remind me of the Weasley twins.

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna L. Black - Jun 11, 2008 1:01 pm (#23 of 67)

I was totally expecting it too, Madam Pince What I was wondering about is - Did the policemen have their memories wiped clean afterwards?

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Jun 11, 2008 9:52 pm (#24 of 67)

Yup! And were they legal to do magic? I think the answer is yes.

My first question though, muggles don't notice wizards, so why did this policeman notice them, were James and Sirius trying to get caught? Taunting him because they could wipe his mind or or make him forget?

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 12, 2008 12:22 am (#25 of 67)

I think muggles can notice wizards. Remember from the first book, Uncle Vernon's disgust at all the weirdos in strange clothes?

Stan Shunpike does say "Muggles don't notice nuffink, do they?" but my guess is he was meaning more about being observant of odd instances or something. I don't think it's that wizards are invisible to muggles (unless, of course, they've been Disillusioned or under an Invisibility Cloak or something. Naturally. )

That said, though, it seemed like James and Sirius weren't too fussed about being seen by a muggle policeman -- they didn't even bother to try and hide themselves. I assume they just knew they could easily escape. I bet they wouldn't bother with wiping minds even if they'd had the time -- they'd get a big laugh out of knowing those guys are wondering if they're going crazy. Ha!

Wonder who was chasing them? DEs probably. Lucius?

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 12, 2008 4:31 pm (#26 of 67)

I really liked the chemistry between James and Sirius. It was a lot like the Weasley twins, as someone above said. Poor Sirius, his losing James is as sad as George losing Fred.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 12, 2008 8:12 pm (#27 of 67)

At first I thought James and Sirius were just playing with the policemen. After reading the ending, I decided they may have been trying to evade someone chasing them on broomsticks (probably DEs). Perhaps they thought that the policemen could help them give the broom riders the slip ... which, as it turns out, they did.

Choices: Why, Honeychild, in certain small, backwoods Southern towns, having a huge beer-belly and a plug of tobacco in your jaw is a requirement for joining the police force. LOL Can you say ... Sheriff Buford T. Justice (from Smokey and the Bandit)?

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 12, 2008 8:14 pm (#28 of 67)

I was thinking of Chief Wiggum as well!

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Jun 13, 2008 12:57 pm (#29 of 67)

Oh, Chief Wiggum... ? another cultural reference !
As the threads have been re united (thanks Kip, and sorry for posting on the motorcycle thread...) , I ask my (French) question again :
"LOL @ Elvendork! I about died laughing!" (Solitaire)
As I did not roll of laughing at this particular point, I think maybe there is an English language joke there... I coming to you for help
hello back and thanks, Orion!

- - - - - - - - - -
azi - Jun 13, 2008 1:03 pm (#30 of 67)

Photo borrowed from Ardent Photography
I didn't get the Elvendork thing either. I thought it was a pretty rubbish 'joke' in the whole scheme of things.

I wonder who the 3 broomstick riders were? I can't help but suspect Snape, Evan (?) and Rosier, since they're mentioned as being a sort of trio. Could be any of them though.

Wearing t-shirts proclaiming you're a member of the Order...a sure fire way to put yourself on Voldie's hitlist. I wouldn't mind one of them though.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quinn Crockett - Jun 13, 2008 1:08 pm (#31 of 67)

Luna, I don't think there's anything specific about it. It's just that "Elvendork" just sounds funny in English. It's probably because of the "dork" part. (Someone who is a "dork" is usually very socially inept [c'est à dire quelqu'un qui est très maladroit]). "Elven" is an adjective that refers to "elves" (pluriel d'elfe) or something that resembles elves.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 13, 2008 1:57 pm (#32 of 67)

I didn't really get the "Elvendork" thing either, especially because he said "you can use it for either a boy or a girl." As far as I know, it's not a real name at all, either for boy or girl, so that didn't really make sense to me. I think the joke would've been better if she'd used a "real" name that sounds funny. But then again, it would probably be hard to think of one that would be so antiquated that it wouldn't still actually be some reader's name (who would then get offended) so I guess she had to make one up.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quinn Crockett - Jun 13, 2008 2:21 pm (#33 of 67)

Remember, wizards have .... (ahem) unusual ... names. Nymphadora, anyone?

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 13, 2008 3:43 pm (#34 of 67)

Very true. I guess it was more the boy/girl thing that I didn't get, rather than the "not-a-real-name" (because really, any conglomeration of letters can be a name, I suppose.) Nymphadora seems clearly a feminine name to me, while Elvendork... hmmmm... I'm not sure what it sounds like, but it doesn't sound like a name. It sounds more like a place. That's it -- the name of the place where some Hobbit would try to dispose of The One Ring.

- - - - - - - - - -
azi - Jun 13, 2008 3:52 pm (#35 of 67)

Photo borrowed from Ardent Photography
Madam P. I agree with you on the 'not very nameish' thing. The unusual names in HP tend to be derived from real names rather than completely made up.

One thing I was wondering about in the story. Isn't it very irresponsible to abandon two defenceless muggles to the wrath of three (presumable) Death Eaters? I interpreted the story as the people on the broomsticks being knocked out. Surely when they come round they would be likely to take out their anger on the nearest people to them? While the policemen were scared, I doubt they'd run away (possibly they'd be too frightened to?). It just seems to go against the things Kingsley said about protecting your muggle neighbours from Voldie's gang. I guess that's just a flaw in James and Sirius though - they can be reckless to the point of endangering other people.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jun 13, 2008 5:26 pm (#36 of 67)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
Wasn't Elven (or something similar) the name of the boy who married the eldest daughter Saundra on the Bill Cosby Show? He was sort of a dork, but cute. LOL

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 13, 2008 5:31 pm (#37 of 67)

Luna, Chief Clancy Wiggum is the roly-poly police chief on the animated television show The Simpsons.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quinn Crockett - Jun 13, 2008 8:37 pm (#38 of 67)

Edited Jun 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Choices, I think that was "Eldon".

Good point, Azi, about Sirius and James just flying off and leaving the "please-men" to the Death Eaters. Although, they were "apparently insensible" after crashing into the police car so maybe the pc's will just move the Death Eaters aside and be on their way.

ETA: Oh yeah. I think "Eldon" was Murphy Brown's painter.

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 13, 2008 9:30 pm (#39 of 67)

It's Elvin Tibideaux. (i.e. Sondra's husband on The Cosby Show)

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 13, 2008 10:47 pm (#40 of 67)

Luna Logic, "I about died laughing" just meant it gave me a fit of the giggles. It just struck me funny, for some reason ... perhaps because I'd recently watched an E! Channel show about the ridiculous names some celebrities have given their children (Pilot Inspektor, Banjo, Audio Science, and Diva Muffin, to name a few). My apologies to anyone here on the forum who has named their children any of the above names.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 13, 2008 11:00 pm (#41 of 67)

I've heard that baby Banjo is named after Australian 'bush poet' Banjo Paterson. (Among other things, he wrote Waltzing Matilda.)

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 13, 2008 11:05 pm (#42 of 67)

LOL It figures! I can see it as a nickname, but ... Come to think of it, Banjo is one of the more rational names! LOL Celebrities just seem to have a penchant for weird names. I mean, who can forget Moon Unit and Dweezil Zappa? Those monikers are pretty strange! And I thought my name was bad ...

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Jun 13, 2008 11:06 pm (#43 of 67)

My apologies to anyone here on the forum who has named their children any of the above names.

***snort!*** Soli...

I had an uncle named Eldon. (Random... just throwing that out there...)

I'm betting the DEs would leave the muggles alone. Seemed to me like it was more of a "hot pursuit of James and Sirius" kind of deal -- they'd probably be off to report back to their head honcho rather than indulging in muggle baiting. It might depend on how they view the please-men -- they might be grateful that they detained James & Sirius awhile, or they might be resentful because after all it was their please-car that got flipped up in front of their brooms. Hmmm.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 13, 2008 11:08 pm (#44 of 67)

Can you imagine the policemen cuffing them and putting them into the squad car ... only to find they'd vanished when they get to the station house? hehe

- - - - - - - - - -
TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 13, 2008 11:15 pm (#45 of 67)

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking"
Therein lies an interesting question. Did they leave their cuffs behind?

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Jun 14, 2008 2:55 am (#46 of 67)

As long as you take away a DE's wand, can you cuff him or her and take them to jail and leave them there forever, except if there is a rescue mission?

The story totally sounds like one of ours over on Five Words. Remember, Five Worders, somebody is out there reading them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Potteraholic - Jun 14, 2008 4:25 am (#47 of 67)

"Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent - and a nice thirst to prove yourself ..." (PS/SS)

Orion! I had the same thought!

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 14, 2008 4:57 am (#48 of 67)

Pilot Inspektor... Audio Science... Diva Muffin...

Why do celebrities insist on naming their kids as though they were naming pets?

I guess James and Sirius leaving at that moment was in a similar vein to on action films when no one seems to complain that the hero's fight with the villain destroyed half the city.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 14, 2008 10:13 am (#49 of 67)

Diva Muffin is surely a name for a spoiled cat or dog, but I wouldn't call any pet of mine Pilot Inspektor or Audio Science ... would you?

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 14, 2008 10:41 am (#50 of 67)

My dad's uncle was named after a character from one of those old, ancient epics (I won't get any more specific than that as he was never fully comfortable with his name ... it was a bit of a wimpy character after all ... ).

- - - - - - - - - -
Luna Logic - Jun 14, 2008 12:33 pm (#51 of 67)

Thanks everyone, I feel better, specially with the "dork" explanation, which is something useful to learn!
The Eldon or Elvin thinks were brave attempts, too. Maybe the Elve track is the good one (elve= more or less unisex ?)
But what made me giggle and laugh aloud was Solitaire's post 50:
"Audio science" I can't believe it! What a life, after that...
I like the first names things - I remember the "cultural" discussions we had on the Forum about the first names chosen by Jo for her epilogue... (I was thinking of that during one of the last episode of Desperate Housewives, a choice between with "Maynard" or "Conner", both ( )* to me )
(* I don't want to offense any Maynard or Conner)

Lizz man question was very funny too... and Solitaire's answer in post 49 made me laugh again.
So in definitive (but with the help of the Forum), that Elvendork thing is very funny !

PS : Now, Pesky, we are dying to know the first name of your relative...

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 14, 2008 4:25 pm (#52 of 67)

I looked it up, and Diva Muffin's father is the musician Frank Zappa. His other children are called Ahmet Emuukha Rodan, Moon Unit and Dweezil. I'd almost rather be called Elvendork.

I wonder if one of the fansites is going to have a competition to complete the prequel. That's be fun to read, or maybe even enter.

- - - - - - - - - -
journeymom - Jun 14, 2008 10:26 pm (#53 of 67)

Ace of Cakes on Food TV when they made the Hogwarts cake for the Los Angeles premiere of OotP, Mary Alice called someone Dumbledork ("Hey, Dumbledork, turn the lights back on!").

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jun 15, 2008 7:58 am (#54 of 67)

Connections, speculation, discussion: the best part of HP reading! Check out the on-going HP Lex Forum series re-read! Currently reading GoF...
Why were [they] egging on that poor plees-man? What did he ever do to them, James and Sirius?--Mrs. Sirius

Well, it's just the fact that he exists, if you know what I mean.--Pesky Pixie

ROTFOLO!!! Maybe we should start a thread where all convesation must be maintained through use of quotes/phrases from the books/movies....I'll bet we could actually do that!

- - - - - - - - - -
Orion - Jun 15, 2008 8:17 am (#55 of 67)

Bloody hell.

- - - - - - - - - -
freshwater - Jun 15, 2008 10:16 am (#56 of 67)

"Language, Ronald!"

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 15, 2008 6:46 pm (#57 of 67)

LOL Luna! I don't know about Conner (which sounds normal, except that a few obnoxious students in my past have had that name), but when I think of Maynard, I get a mental picture of Maynard G. Krebs (aka Gilligan), the beatnik best friend of one Dobie Gillis.

Journeymom, I heard some girl call someone else Dumbledork once, too--recently, actually--when I was not really paying attention to the TV. The name just caught my attention, but I missed the speaker and context. I couldn't believe my ears!

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Jun 15, 2008 10:17 pm (#58 of 67)

I have a technical question, is this story now canon? JK wrote it, it is published if only in limited number and it wasn't from an interview. So is it officially canon?

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna L. Black - Jun 16, 2008 10:37 am (#59 of 67)

I think it is, Mrs. Sirius. Like you said, she wrote it, and it is an "official" publication. You can't get any more "canonic" than that

- - - - - - - - - -
PeskyPixie - Jun 16, 2008 10:50 am (#60 of 67)

LOL, Orion and freshwater. That's a great idea actually. It could be a lot of fun.

Well, Anna, if it's officially canon I have to say that James and Sirius are absolute idiots for wearing those T-shirts in public. Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, er, okay I'll stop now.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 16, 2008 12:20 pm (#61 of 67)

I consider everything that J.K. makes up herself to be canon, however it comes out. Most of the things she says in interviews at least came from her notes, which is where everything that is published comes from.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Jun 16, 2008 1:59 pm (#62 of 67)

Librarian
My impression is that most of the interviews are off the cuff. If it isn't on the printed page I do not consider it canon. Maybe if she publishes an online book I will accept that.

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz Mann - Jun 16, 2008 2:43 pm (#63 of 67)

She has to come up with the information sometime, whether it's at her desk or in an interview chair.

- - - - - - - - - -
journeymom - Jun 16, 2008 3:42 pm (#64 of 67)

Yeah, but she's given information in interviews that have conflicted with her printed material, or if they haven't exactly conflicted, they've confused matters.

Post Deathly Hallows all this doesn't matter to me as much. There's not much left to 'prove' (predict, debate) that requires pin point accuracy.

- - - - - - - - - -
Quinn Crockett - Jun 16, 2008 5:44 pm (#65 of 67)

I am beginning to understand why Tolkien was constantly re-writing his saga.

- - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Jun 17, 2008 3:54 pm (#66 of 67)

"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up." A.A. Milne
I didn't much care for it. If I want to be amused by hot pursuits and dead-end crashes, Wile E. Coyote can out-finesse James and Sirius any day. I thought the OotP t-shirt(s) was the only real hint of vintage Rowling.

- - - - - - - - - -
Accio Sirius - Dec 10, 2008 3:40 pm (#67 of 67)

Back to the old school Sirius
I rather enjoyed the snippet and took it for what it was--a sort of fun writing exercise for JKR and a treat for fans. More please?
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum