HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wands: Production and Use (Condensed Thread)

Go down

Wands: Production and Use (Condensed Thread) Empty Wands: Production and Use (Condensed Thread)

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:02 am

Wands: Production and Use (Condensed Thread)

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. Elanor

Detail Seeker - Nov 23, 2003 3:42 am
Edited by Kip Carter Jan 12, 2006 11:35 pm
This thread discussed aspects of wand material choice and of personalisation of wands
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Wands: Production and Use (Condensed Thread) Empty Wands: Production and Use (Condensed Thread)

Post  Elanor Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:02 am

Detail Seeker - Nov 23, 2003 3:43 am (#1 of 1)
Quod tempus non sanat, sanat ferrum,... so prepare
Ben Watson - Jan 2, 2003 6:39 am

Can anyone tell me why young wizards require personalised wands, when we have seen that a wizard can use any wand to perform magic? - eg. Wormtail uses Voldemort's wand to kill Diggory

-------------------------------------

NoVeil4Me - Jan 2, 2003 7:00 am (#1 of 48) Any wizard can use any wand, true enough. It is brought out though, that the wand that chooses the person, their own personal wand, is much better and the person can do more with it. Let me see what the handy, dandy Lexicon has to say about it.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Marie E. - Jan 4, 2003 9:30 am (#8 of 48) ...

To be somewhat on topic, I think it's interesting that some wands are better for certain things, like Lily's wand was good for charms, ect. That means, if the wand chooses you, that the wand knows before you do that you are going to be good at tranfiguration or whatever. Does that make any sense?

Karl Jackson - Mar 7, 2003 10:58 pm (#27 of 48)

To get back to wands... Smile

Does anyone know the characteristics of Hermione's wand? Given her skill with charms and the like, I imagine it's similar to Lily's, but I'd like to know anyway, as I'm attempting to write a bit of fanfic. My guess is: Nine inches, well-seasoned beech, somewhat swishy, hair from the mane of a friendly, if mischievous, unicorn mare foal, excellent wand for charms and hexes.

Any ideas?

Also, I've taken the idea that a wand may be destined for a particular witch or wizard and run with it; one of my characters, the youngest ever member of the Order of the Phoenix, ends up with a wand which his great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather should have had, except that it didn't accept him...and in fact it's been waiting in Mr. Ollivander's shop since the Battle of Agincourt.

Here's a clip from the scene in which the Auror, Robin Whitestar Greythorne, is trying to find his wand - or, more accurately, in which it is trying to find him. He's tried literally every wand in the shop, and the wands' reactions to him have varied from nothing, to metaphorically biting him, to squealing in fright, to jabbering 'Oh, no, you don't, Longshanks!' in Chinese. Finally, coming to the very last wand, how does this sound:

Robin remained silent and unmoving for a second, then murmured, "I'm almost afraid to ask what's in it." "Rowan, Mr. Greythorne, as you know; the only wood the Dark does not love...and, indeed, cannot use. In Old Gaelic, from the ancient Ogham script, it was called luis, more commonly caorunn in Scots Gaelic. It was the clan badge of the Malcolms and the McLachlans. Hewn in situ by the banks of the Allt Coire Ghaidheil stream, at sunset on the eve of May, but cut without knives, for that is forbidden...thirteen and three-thirty-sevenths, almost but not quite inflexible, heartstring of Hungarian Horntail...with a thread of pure gold, obtained from a Romanian Longhorn. And seasoned with a single drop of unicorn blood, freely given by the largest, greatest unicorn stallion this land has ever known. A most powerful wand indeed." His gaze, normally so reassuring, became as Antarctic permafrost - cold, unyielding, pitiless. "Use it wisely."

Good advice, as (at the risk of going off-canon) it's a Weapon Wand...specifically designed to destroy Dark wizards. Rowan is a wood that has long been used for protection against evil, so a wand made of it would be unusable by any Dark wizard - even Voldemort.

Lenka - Mar 14, 2003 2:21 pm (#28 of 48)

I would think only hHarry could use his own wand (so it was waiting for him in the shop, really), but Hermione proved that wrong in the very first book. Sad

Ellen

Elizabeth D. - Mar 15, 2003 6:02 pm (#29 of 48)

Karl,I think Hermione's wand should be PINE. Pine , an evergreen, is a symbol of friendship in adversity.

Nine - Mar 17, 2003 5:43 pm (#30 of 48)

How did Hermione prove it wrong? I don't remember what you're referring to, Ellen, although I know there is later proof of the same thing.

W J - Mar 18, 2003 12:23 am (#31 of 48) Nine, Hermione grabbed Harry's wand and used the "Alohamora" (spelling?) -- unlock -- charm/spell with it to open Fluffy's door when they were hiding from Filch. So that proves that wizards and witches can use each other's wands. JKR said that using someone else's wand will not work as well as using your own, but Hermione seemed to do okay with Harry's.

Sly Girl - Mar 18, 2003 2:29 pm (#33 of 48) Maybe the other person's wand does okay with simple spells and the more complicated it becomes the more essential it is for the wizard to have their own. Which would explain why it's okay for Ron to have a hand me down at first. Perhaps they would of purchased Ron his own wand when he was older, if it hadn't of broken in CoS.

Nine Mar 18, 2003 4:03 pm (#34 of 48)

Hermione's powerful and knowledgable enough to be able to use another's wand.

My book of memorization choice is PoA, not PS/SS, so thanks, WJ and Ellen. I could think of evidence from PoA (Sirius using Snape's wand), but I completely missed that Hermione didn't use her own wand for the Alohomora.

Cliff Hamaker - Mar 18, 2003 7:05 pm (#35 of 48)

Hey, Nine. Don't feel bad. I did too!

Though, your argument bring up the question, would a not so smart person be able to use another's wand? Say, Neville, perhaps? Is he able to use his own wand? (I would say no, considering he switched his ears onto a cactus and kept Banishing Prof. Flitwick)

Nine - Mar 19, 2003 2:20 pm (#36 of 48)

Based on the two examples mentioned so far, I think you need to be powerful enough to use another's wand, because otherwise the spell wouldn't be effective enough. Now, whether magical power and knowledge are the same thing, I'm not sure....

W J - Mar 23, 2003 3:42 pm (#37 of 48) Buy your own wand online!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Kathy Lynch - Mar 25, 2003 1:27 pm (#39 of 48) Somebody somewhere mentioned the magical properties of rowan wood. I wonder why more wands aren't made of it. I just read A Dictionary of Superstitions, and it talked about how the rowan tree was once universally recognized as having protective properties. I would think people would want their wands made of protective wood. And I also would think JKR would have come across some of these superstitions, she seems to have purposely chosen Yew for Voldy, because Yew has long been associated with graveyards and death. The perfect scary wood for the perfect scary wizard. Just a thought.

Cliff Hamaker - Mar 25, 2003 6:51 pm (#40 of 48) Well, seeing as I'm not Mr. Ollivander....( Wink ), I think that it is the combination of the core and the wood that produces the desired effects. Also, Harry had to go through most of the store to find his ONE wand. I don't think people can order a rowan wood wand. It still has to choose them.

Kathy Lynch - Mar 26, 2003 12:08 pm (#41 of 48)

Ah. Good point, Cliff. I suppose I should rephrase my question: Why didn't JKR write in a Rowan wood wand, knowing (as I assume she does) its protective properties? =}

Seriously, though, I do wonder if what your wand is made of really will factor in later. We've speculated that the CORE may matter (phoenix feather comes from Fawkes, unicorn hair might be unlucky, etc.) but the wood itself?

Eloise Midgen - Mar 26, 2003 4:02 pm (#42 of 48)

If the wand really chooses the witch/wizard, and there is only one true match, what would happen if Fleur went to Mr. Ollivander's? As I recall, he said "Yes, I've never used veela hair myself, of course. I find it makes for rather temperamental wands...however, each to his own, and if this suits you..." So if Fleur was destined for a veela hair wand, and she went to Mr. Ollivander's shop, would she just go through the entire store and never find a wand that suited her? That would make me feel like a failure. Would he just direct her to another store?

Kathy, I think that the type of wood, the length, the thickness, and the core have an effect on who the wand is meant for. There probably isn't any trait or quality that doesn't play an essential part of the whole wand. Smile

W J - Mar 26, 2003 5:15 pm (#43 of 48)

Eloise, the wand may choose the wizard but there could be many matches. Why do you say there is only one true match? Wands breaks, wands are lost, wands could be outgrown, and for whatever other reasons, a wizard would have to replace their wand at least once or twice in their 150+ year lifetime. There would have to be multiple wands that would suit a particular wizard.

Sly Girl - Mar 26, 2003 11:14 pm (#44 of 48)

I'd just like to point out that we STILL don't know what Hermione's wand is. No mention of what it's made out of at all. What sort of feather, wood.. nothing. Interesting? Yes.

By the way, JKR said her wand would be: Mahogany with Phoenix feather core.

Lenka - Mar 27, 2003 11:12 am (#45 of 48)

Which could easilly be Dumbledore's wand.

Sly Girl - Mar 27, 2003 2:36 pm (#46 of 48)

Well, there are some that believe that JKR uses Dumbledore to communicate with her readers.

Eloise Midgen - Mar 27, 2003 2:56 pm (#47 of 48)

Dumbledore could have a phoenix feather wand, but it wouldn't be Fawkes' feather because Mr. Ollivander said that Fawkes only gave one other (which was Voldie's.)

Lenka - May 11, 2003 9:10 pm (#48 of 48) Olivander can't possibly know about ALL the wands produced. He only knows about the ones he made himself.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down