HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It appears that Harry will live after the series!

Go down

It appears that Harry will live after the series! Empty It appears that Harry will live after the series!

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:34 am

It appears that Harry will live after the series!

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011. At that time, this thread was still set in the "Archived Thread to be Worked" folder of the WC forum. Elanor

Brandon Christopher - Mar 18, 2004 2:01 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Jan 12, 2006 12:18 pm
Okay I have been dreading the end of the series because I fear that my favorite character, namely Harry, will perish. But after another read through of the recent JKR interview I think I might have found a slip of hers that shows that Harry will indeed survive.

Here's what I'm talking about:

Jangles: Are you going to write books about harry after school?
JK Rowling replies -> Probably not, but I'll never say never because every time I do I immediately break the vow!

Notice how the question was "Are you going to write books about Harry after school?" She answers saying it's a possibility. How could she write more about Harry after school if he doesn't survive? Now sure she might have interpreted the question as "will you write anything about the characters after school?" But I find this unlikely, I think JKR slipped up and gave us a minor peak at the ending. Unless she rebukes this statement it is the closest evidence we have either way of Harry's survival of post-Hogwarts life. So right now I am a lot happier about the dreaded ending of book seven.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

It appears that Harry will live after the series! Empty It appears that Harry will live after the series (Post 1 to 50)

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:36 am

Phoenix - Mar 18, 2004 2:51 pm (#1 of 227)
Nicola Mlynek
Edited by Mar 18, 2004 1:52 pm
Yey, first post! I thought the same thing when I first read the interview (but didn't think of starting a thread). I have always been afraid that Harry will die, but what would happen if Harry dies Voldemort lives? I have a feeling that Neville may be killed in the final battle - something to do with the fact that Neville could have been chosen by Voldemort as an equal be Harry was chosen instead.

Anyway, JKR certainly seems to have (accidently?) suggested that Harry may survive the series (sighs with relief). I too am a lot happier about the ending of book 7, even though it is inevitable that someone must die.

- - - - - - - - - -
vball man - Mar 18, 2004 4:07 pm (#2 of 227)

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot loose. - Jim Elliot
I've always thought that her saying that Harry might die was a bit of hyperbole. I never took it seriously. I think that she just means that we should assume no one is safe.

- - - - - - - - - -
MoaningMyrtle101 - Mar 18, 2004 5:32 pm (#3 of 227)

I agree that Harry will probably live through the end of Book 7, but I still dread it! What will we talk about once the books are over?

- - - - - - - - - -
shepherdess - Mar 18, 2004 6:59 pm (#4 of 227)

55 year old mother of 3, step-mother of 2, grandmom to 3, living in Oklahoma
All the questions JKR doesn't answer in the books.

- - - - - - - - - -
Sherbie Lemon - Mar 18, 2004 8:26 pm (#5 of 227)

I'm not sure if that interview is enough to get our hopes up. I mean, I think it would be terribly cruel if she killed off the main character of a "children's" septology. Yet, I'm not putting anything past JKR. Also, I feel that if I get my hopes up that Harry will live, I'll be jinxing it and he'll probably die. I know that sounds crazy, but I won't believe that Harry will live until I've read the last page of book 7 (and hopefully a series following him in his adult years! )

- - - - - - - - - -
Madam Pince - Mar 18, 2004 9:33 pm (#6 of 227)

The eyes are the windows to the soul...
Nah, he's going to live. No way will she kill off Harry! I don't have the chat transcript right at hand, but there were a few other hints, I thought, also. Someone asked some question about Ron, and she coyly answered something like "What makes you think Ron is going to survive?" or whatever. Then it was either the very next question, or a few questions later, and someone asked her something about Harry, and she 'sort-of' answered it. At any rate, she didn't say "What makes you think Harry will live?" which I would have thought she should have, given her earlier answer about Ron. No, I'm convinced Harry will live.

- - - - - - - - - -
Sherbie Lemon - Mar 18, 2004 9:44 pm (#7 of 227)

I hope you're right, Madam Pince! But like I said, I don't want to jinx it...

JKR did mention something that some feel negated the "slip-up" which is now being interpreted to mean that Harry will live. When asked what she would do if she were Harry, she answered something to the effect of, "I would run and hide because I know what's coming." (sorry, I do not have the transcript handy, that is not a direct quote!)

Yet, I don't think it truly means that Harry will die, I just think it means that Harry has a tough road to hoe. I've simply heard it debated that the above quote could have been said to retract the one about Harry living. But I most certainly hope not!

The part about Ron scares me, too. I think his death would traumatize me almost as much as Harry's!

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Mar 18, 2004 11:40 pm (#8 of 227)

Let it snow!
Well, as far as I can remember, that the first or second time she's every suggested that Ron won't live. Before in interviews, she's answered questions about whether he'd be a teacher in the future, etc. and never indicated that he might not be around....

She's done sorta the opposite with Harry and this is one of the few times (it's not the only time) she's suggested that he will live, but before has always hinted that he might die.

I think she's just playing us in both cases and both characters are going to live....

- - - - - - - - - -
Sherbie Lemon - Mar 19, 2004 7:13 am (#9 of 227)

You know, this is what I like about this forum. The varied perceptions and theories. It is nice to hear that some people think both Ron and Harry will live. I've been on the Predictions thread and the Who Will Die thread, and I'll tell you, I got depressed just reading the posts!

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Mar 19, 2004 8:37 am (#10 of 227)

I have to throw my hat into the "Of course she can't kill Harry ring." Having said that, I also do not put anything past JKR, but killing off the main character at the end would be just too cruel. Ron on the other hand. . . . . . .

- - - - - - - - - -
timrew - Mar 19, 2004 11:44 am (#11 of 227)

Middle-aged Harry Potter fan
Anyone who thinks that the heroes can't be killed at the end should read the Narnia Books.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix - Mar 19, 2004 1:26 pm (#12 of 227)

Nicola Mlynek
Edited by Mar 19, 2004 12:28 pm
Tim, you do make me laugh, hee hee.

I think Harry will survive the series. I think that Neville may be killed, but I also have a feeling that Ron may die after what JKR said in the interview when asked about him. She said something like "What makes you think he's going to survive" (or something like that)..

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Mar 19, 2004 2:46 pm (#13 of 227)

Let it snow!
World Day, March 4, 2004:
Debbie: What will Ron's job be when he leaves school?
JK Rowling replies -> Well, assuming he lives to leave school... I'm not going to tell you Smile

Everyone makes such a big deal about that one line from her last interview. What does everyone make of this statement then?

Canadian Broadcasting Company, July 2000:
E: People love Ron, for example. Kids think you're going to knock off Ron because he's the best friend.
JK: Kids do, exactly, because they're sharp and they've seen so many films where the hero's best friend gets it. So they think I'm going to make it personal by killing Ron. But maybe that's a double bluff... (Laughs)

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Mar 19, 2004 2:58 pm (#14 of 227)

Well gee whiz Tim. I was going to start the Narnia Chronicles this weekend, but now I guess I won't bother.... Razz......

- - - - - - - - - -
timrew - Mar 19, 2004 4:45 pm (#15 of 227)

Middle-aged Harry Potter fan
Sorry, Loopy Lupin, they don't all get killed at the end, honestly! They all live happily ever after. There! Now you can read them.

- - - - - - - - - -
urzafyffe - Mar 19, 2004 8:06 pm (#16 of 227)

Well I thought JKR said somewhere she was fond of the Narnia Chronicles. Also Loopy Lupin on the Narnia books they might die or not die but it is how you look at it. But the Narnia book belong on a different thread.

- - - - - - - - - -
Madame Librarian - Mar 20, 2004 7:26 am (#17 of 227)

I really have no predictions about Harry's or Ron's deaths. I read and nod agreeably at all the arguments pro and con. I just want to remind everyone that in the Potterverse there is something called the Veil and the DoM, and DD's comments about death being the next great adventure that might be setting up a completely novel way to view death. I'm not talking about a classic Afterlife thing here, but something original that JKR has devised. But then again, an Afterlife could be treated in a cleverly satisfying way by a really good author.

Ciao. Barb

- - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Mar 20, 2004 10:04 pm (#18 of 227)

Mom of 4 in serious lurker mode.
Harry not die? I sincerely hope not. I imagine that Harry may well survive, although I expect he'll be "damaged" but he could well survive.

However, somewhere in the back of my mind the ending of the Narnia Chronicles keep coming back to me. Only Susan the sister who stopped believing survived in that. Lewis made death appear very comfy but it was, never the less, death.

There is another thread that asks the question along the line of "How will the series end-Will Harry defeat Voldemort". On that thread, I said that while it is likely that good will defeat evil, I don't take it as a given the JKR will give us the obvious answer to the age old question. Death looked quite appealing in "The Last Battle". Although the characters that you have come to care about at the end of that series, are walking of to their end, you feel good for them and they feel good about it too.

IMH(umble)O, the Harry Potter series are less of a fantasy series and much closer to the reality of everyday life, so I don't believe that JRK will use a Lewis type ending. However, we just don't know. I do believe it will be a very JKR ending.

Edit:I see Tim beat me to the Narnia connection.

- - - - - - - - - -
Accio Sirius - Mar 23, 2004 6:32 am (#19 of 227)

Back to the old school Sirius
I think Nicola's notion that Neville, as Harry's equal, will die is pretty interesting. Think about it. The odds were pretty even that it could have been Neville that was attacked as a baby by Voldermort but it was Harry instead. Harry and Neville sort of have this "what if" link. Since they were both the targets, whatever happens to one would really affect the other (both thinking, wow, that could have been/should have been me). I think that JKR has to show good triumph over evil in some very meaningful way. I don't doubt that there will be casualties. I know she writes as realistically as possible, but I don't think many kids (or actually adults) could deal with Harry's death. Maybe some will consider not killing Harry a cop out as far as realism is concerned, but quite frankly I'm not reading them the books for total realism. I can turn on the news and be sad at any time.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix - Mar 25, 2004 1:28 pm (#20 of 227)

Nicola Mlynek
Why thank-you Accio Sirius (bows to the screen, hee hee).
Seriously, Neville has become a pretty powerfull wizard, what with the DA lessons and the battle in the DoM, He will definately have a part to play in the final battle (I hate saying that, it means the end of the HP series) and have a gut feeling that he will be killed, possibly by Bellatrix Lestrange.

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Mar 25, 2004 1:31 pm (#21 of 227)

Oohh I hope not! I am really hoping that Neville can kill Bellatrix and Harry kills Voldy. I think it can be done realistically in this Potter world.

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Mar 25, 2004 3:28 pm (#22 of 227)

Oh, I'm counting on Neville killing Bella for sure. I don't think he'll AK here or anything. It would be more of a "battle on a cliff" scenario with Neville's stunner knocking her off. Something like that.

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Mar 25, 2004 3:31 pm (#23 of 227)

Yes I can see scenario more than Neville hating Bellatrix enough to use one of the unforgivable curses on her. I have a hard time seeing any of the good characters doing this. Well except for DD (who I'm not really fond of), he would be able to pull that off.

- - - - - - - - - -
vball man - Mar 25, 2004 4:45 pm (#24 of 227)

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot loose. - Jim Elliot
Neville dying does make sense as you put it forth. My feeling, though, is that he will not die. I see Harry becomming the holder of the mantle that DD now holds (Most Powerful Wizard). Just as DD has a group of people around him for whom he has done things most wizards would not have done (Hagrid, Snape, Lupin, etc.) I think that Harry will have just such a group around him. And I think Neville will be one such admirer.

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Mar 26, 2004 10:38 am (#25 of 227)

Perhaps a magical Corgi will save Harry's life and kill Voldy? That or the Squid.

- - - - - - - - - -
FCBarca - Mar 26, 2004 4:11 pm (#26 of 227)

"It appears that Harry will live after the series!"

Well, never mind!

I have to admit, I would really like 'The Trio' to survive, but it will be an annoying day when Voldemort dies.

- - - - - - - - - -
vball man - Mar 26, 2004 9:30 pm (#27 of 227)

Wait till Josephine Corcoran (picture at left) takes all Voldemorts power and becomes She-Who-Must-Not Be-Barked-At!!

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Mar 27, 2004 11:02 am (#28 of 227)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
Maybe my dog can join her as one of her Bone-Eaters. LOL My dog's name is Rose Jane Weasley.

- - - - - - - - - -
Czarina - Mar 27, 2004 12:49 pm (#29 of 227)

vball man, I take it you're a fan of Gilbert and Sullivan?

- - - - - - - - - -
vball man - Mar 27, 2004 5:29 pm (#30 of 227)

Well, Hardly ev-er. Big fan. My other corgi was Sir Joseph Porter - which was perfect since he was neutered and could never have Josephine to wife!

Bone-Eaters! I love it!

Back to topic: here's the one thing that I think supports the heading of this thread: From PS:

In years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he had managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment. Yet the days crept by, and there could be no doubt that Fluffy was still alive and well behind the locked door.

It's not much, but here the series is presented as though Harry is relating it to the story teller years later.

- - - - - - - - - -
Prefect Marcus - Mar 27, 2004 6:23 pm (#31 of 227)

"Anyone can cook"
Vball, I agree with your analysis of that quote. I think Rowling slipped up there... to our benefit. :-)

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Mar 27, 2004 6:38 pm (#32 of 227)

Wow, great catch vball man!! At least we know that Harry will be alive "in years to come". :-)

- - - - - - - - - -
Julia. - Mar 27, 2004 7:54 pm (#33 of 227)

74% obsessed! Uconn Jew Crew says: is it August yet?
Great catch vball! Ten points to your house (what house are you, by the way?) You have no idea how much better that just made me. I should email this thread to my ex, who's convinced that Harry's going to die. This'll make him see reason.

- - - - - - - - - -
Czarina - Mar 27, 2004 8:50 pm (#34 of 227)

Years to come? At the end of PS, six more years are still to come.

But I think you're right in saying that JKR gave us a nice clue. Good catch.

- - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Mar 27, 2004 9:09 pm (#35 of 227)

Ravenclaw Pony
While I agree, it does appear as if Harry could live. Keep in mind though, years just means more than one year. It could be only two years or it could be twenty years.

Throwing cold water on the idea Smile

- - - - - - - - - -
vball man - Mar 27, 2004 10:23 pm (#36 of 227)

Ah well. This is where my claim falls to the ground. There's no possible way of answering that argument, I'm afraid. I was only hoping you would not make that particular point, but I can see you're more than a match for me! - MPFC

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Mar 28, 2004 11:24 am (#37 of 227)

"In years to come" means a long time to me. I have put on my rain slicker and refuse to let anyone throw cold water on this idea. I firmly believe that Harry will live to a ripe old age, just like Dumbledore. **puts fingers in ears and hums loudly**

- - - - - - - - - -
firebird - Mar 28, 2004 7:28 pm (#38 of 227)

*puts fingers in ears and hums loudly**

Very convincing Choices =D LoL

Hmm... I guess Trelawney did predict it once. Under duress, yes, but still. Maybe that was her third correct prediction. Smile

I wonder, how do the DoM and MoM know which predictions are correct and which aren't? I mean, the people about whom the prophecies are made could go there and see if there is anything with their name and listen to it. I know they wouldn't let them in, but still. Oh well, 4 am, I'd better get to sleep.

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Mar 29, 2004 7:31 am (#39 of 227)

"In the years to come" is a phrase that indicates a long time to me as well. Unfortunately, I frankly see this as more of a literary slip than a plot hint or slip up. I cannot recall the technical terms for the various "points of view" that one might use, but for the most part this story is from Harry's point of view. It is in the "past tense," yes, but there is a sort of immediacy to it. That is to say, other than that phrase (there may be other examples) I've never had the feeling that our narrator was telling Harry's story from the perspective of years and years later. Point being, a phrase like that is not really consistent with the point of view Rowling uses throughout the rest of the series, save for the couple chapters that are not from Harry's point of view at all (Chps. 1 of SS/PS and GoF).

- - - - - - - - - -
vball man - Mar 29, 2004 1:14 pm (#40 of 227)

...other than that phrase (there may be other examples) I've never had the feeling that our narrator was telling Harry's story from the perspective of years and years later.

Yeah. That suggests that this is her true thinking. That she's been carefull for the most part, but here we see what she really thinks. The problem is that it is only a suggestion. And I already thought that Harry would live. Therefore it is not strong enough to really change my confidence much.

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Mar 29, 2004 1:21 pm (#41 of 227)

I, too, think that Harry will live and on second thought, I see your point vball. Literary slip or whatever it is, the line reveals her thinking about Harry.

(By the way, I chuckle everytime I see one of your posts. The pooch is so vicious looking. LOL).

- - - - - - - - - -
Doris Crockford - Apr 8, 2004 4:22 pm (#42 of 227)

I think Harry will live, and I've thought so ever since I read the Barnes and Nobles Chat from Sept. 8, 1999.

Question: "With the huge success of the first three books and your seemingly endless imagination, do you think that you might (please, oh please) consider continuing the story past the originally planned seven books? Maybe continuing with Harry as an adult or books about his children?"

Her answer: "So you're convinced I'm not going to kill Harry??!! I try never to say never, because it seems that every time I do I end up by doing the thing I've forsworn. So, there is a remote possibility that there will another Harry book, but at the present time I am planning only seven."

Although she says here that it could be about his kids, that and the recent chat has convinced me that Harry has to live (at least, the optimist in me thinks so).

Edit: here's another quote from an interview from Oct. 20, 1999, that's not quite as conclusive about Harry living, but she keeps saying she'll 'never say never'.

SB: Several people have asked, are you stopping at seven?

JKR: Um, at the moment, I definitely think I’m going to stop at seven, and I have to say, that will be really heartbreaking. Um, the only reason you’ll ever see an eight Harry Potter book is if I really, in ten years time, burn to do another one. But at the moment, I think that’s unlikely. But I try never to say never about anything, cause the moment I say “I will never,” I do it next month. So, I just – but I think not. I think I’ll stop at seven.

- - - - - - - - - -
viapalfuriana - May 3, 2004 5:02 am (#43 of 227)

I had never thought of Neville's death, but I have dread Ron's. My most favorite character is Ron by far. I have read in many webs the clues JKR has left through all her books. Mary McGowan writes about this in [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ron's acts have proved that he's willing to sacrifice his life to save Harry. In SS, he offers himself to jump through the trapdoor before Harry just in case there is something dangerous below. He then agrees to be attacked by the chess game, knowing he can be killed.

In PoA, he pushes Harry out of the way and is taken by Padfoot to the Shrieking Shank and there he tries to attack Sirius, who has a wand, while Ron has no weapon at all.

Also in PoA during Christmas lunch, there are 13 people sitting at the table and Ron and Harry stand up at the same time. Trelawney says that the first one will undoubtedly die. Since JKR never mentions these things for nothing, we could think Ron was the first one to raise and then the first one to die.

I hope we are mistaken, but I am afraid Ron will die before the end of book seven.

- - - - - - - - - -
Catherine - May 3, 2004 6:00 am (#44 of 227)

Canon Seeker
I don't dispute that Ron is a great character, but some of the examples you use are not supported by what I read in my Scholastic versions of the novels.

Harry, not Ron, offered to go first into the trapdoor. Ron pulled up the door, but Harry pointed to himself and Ron asked, "You want to go first? Are you sure?" (p276, hardback).

Yes, Ron was willing to fight Sirius without a wand, but Harry is the one who attacked first, and Hermione and Ron joined in. Sirius had confiscated Ron's wand, just as he did Harry's and Hermione's.

I think a better example of Ron's valor was his assertion that if Sirius wanted to kill Harry, Sirius would have to kill Ron and Hermione also.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - May 3, 2004 7:21 am (#45 of 227)

Let it snow!
I'm going to offer this quote up one more time and see what people think of it. Personally, I think the "clues" to Ron's death may just be red herrings...

Canadian Broadcasting Company, July 2000:
E: People love Ron, for example. Kids think you're going to knock off Ron because he's the best friend.
JK: Kids do, exactly, because they're sharp and they've seen so many films where the hero's best friend gets it. So they think I'm going to make it personal by killing Ron. But maybe that's a double bluff... (Laughs)

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - May 3, 2004 12:46 pm (#46 of 227)

So they think I'm going to make it personal by killing Ron. But maybe that's a double bluff... (Laughs)

And killing his parents and making Harry an orphan was impersonal?

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - May 3, 2004 7:47 pm (#47 of 227)

Let it snow!
Yeah. We didn't personally know James and Lily. At least, we don't know them the way we do Ron, Hermione, etc.....

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - May 5, 2004 6:40 am (#48 of 227)

Well, certainly we know HRH better than James and Lily, but JKR's phrase "make it personal" I took to mean "personal" to Harry and it would seem that this battle is already personal to him.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - May 28, 2004 7:50 am (#49 of 227)

Of course, there is always that scene with the centaurs to consider out of PS/SS where they're talking about the Unicorn and the centaur remarks that it's very sad that the innocent are always the first to be killed... especially when J.K. Rowling does make it a point to tell us both of Ron Weasley's wands use Unicorn hair. I think we all need to stop and ask ourselves just what was in Cedric's wand... (it was, by the way, a Unicorn hair).

- - - - - - - - - -
Liz - May 31, 2004 8:52 pm (#50 of 227)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Edited by S.E. Jones May 31, 2004 10:54 pm
I think you're on to something with that unicorn hair thing and I bet (If you're not JKR in diguise trying to trick your fans by telling the truth, which you mentioned doing so in an interveiw) I bet that your right on with that whole unicorn theory.

Anyway, the power of love is something Voldemort could never understand. Voldemort underestimates this and if anything would bring him down it would be that.

I wonder what is in Hermione's wand.

By the way, I wonder how vulnerable a veela haired wand would be.

Also, I wonder if the kind of wand you use shows how strong of a wizard you are?

Someone(Hermione) should ask Mr. Olivander that Question.

Beth

->Beth, you don't need to post three times in a row. You can edit a post up to 30 minutes after you first submit it.<- SE Jones
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

It appears that Harry will live after the series! Empty It appears that Harry will live after the series (Post 51 to 100)

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:38 am

Verschwinden Sie - May 31, 2004 10:44 pm (#51 of 227)
Well, I think Ollivander covered veela hair wands when he said they were too temperamental for his tastes. I imagine that means they're vulnerable based on the fact they're unreliable.

As for whether or not the type of wand speaks to the power of the wizard, J.K. Rowling has touched on that a bit when she talks about types of wand wood and wand cores, and it seems to be more a matter of the type of wand indicating the type of wizard than the power of the wizard involved.

- - - - - - - - - -
eggplant - Jun 8, 2004 11:28 pm (#52 of 227)

Keeping Harry’s fate top secret until book 7 comes out is vitally important to Rowling, even her publisher doesn’t know; so when somebody asks her about the possibility of a book 8 what is she supposed to say? If she says maybe someday we’d know Harry lives, if she says it would be imposable we’d know he dies, so she smiles and says never say never.

Somebody once asked JKR what she would say to Harry if she could talk to him, she said she would apologies to him for all the hell she put him through, and will put him through.

And I must say that Harry dying heroically at the end of book 7 would be a fitting way to end the series, all good things must come to an end.

Eggplant

- - - - - - - - - -
draco all the way - Jun 9, 2004 1:58 am (#53 of 227)

I'm all for a heroic and noble death, as long as its not Ron or Hermione. A completely happy ending doesn't seem to suit the HP books for some reason. In my opinion that is. I think the most moving and touching ending would be one with a twinge of sadness to it. But, again, I hope its not Ron or Hermione. I don't care for Harry much. (ducks and runs for cover). I find I'm a softie for sidekicks and bad guys.

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jun 9, 2004 6:32 am (#54 of 227)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
Well, I've never really believed that Harry will die, but that used to be something authors did with characters when they were finished with them way back when because they didn't want other authors messing with them. Read Don Quixote by Cervantes. He wrote part 1, Don Quixote didn't die, and some jerk made a fake sequal to profit from the name. Then he wrote his own part 2, and promptly killed him at the end.

Though again, I don't believe she'll do that. For one thing, its hard to just steal characters nowadays like it was in Cervantes' time. She'd also be upsetting a whole lot of people. Weren't there like riots when Sherlock Holmes was killed off? Imagine what would happen if Harry dies. We'd be looking at a Nuclear holocaust here. Lastly, I don't think she's put (or is going to put) Harry through 7 years of torment just to have him die at the end.

I hope Ron dies though. Painfully.

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Jun 9, 2004 9:19 am (#55 of 227)

Edited by Jun 9, 2004 9:20 am
Aahh, but Sherlock Homes was brought back after he was killed, so the same could happen to Harry. Although I would rather not have him killed off. I highly doubt that will happen. (Although I have been wrong before, so keeping fingers crossed) I don't want Ron or Hermione to die either. The trio have to live! Jo is not that sadistic.

TGF are you joking or serious about Ron?

- - - - - - - - - -
Brandon Christopher - Jun 9, 2004 9:58 am (#56 of 227)

Watch out for the killer rootbeer!!! (if you had been to the gathering you would know :-p)

grins madly and tacklehugs TGF*

Exactly what I was thinking. JKR has put Harry through so much that it would be more or less anticlimactic to kill him at the end.

Ron on the other hand...

- - - - - - - - - -
tracie1976 - Jun 9, 2004 10:08 am (#57 of 227)

"Harry needs her badly." JKR on Hermione...interview from The Times June 30, 2000 artwork for avatar by logansrogue at livejournal.com
Personally I'd prefer a slow and painful death for Ron.
JKR has said in an interview that if she could, she take Harry out to lunch and apologize for everything he has been through and is going to go through since she knows what is going to happen. So apparently she feels bad for Harry would want a happy ending. (At least I hope so)

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Jun 9, 2004 10:26 am (#58 of 227)

Noooooooooooooo! Don't kill Ron off. He's such a great character and Harry needs friends who don't get snuffed. Kill off DD if you must but not Ron!

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jun 9, 2004 10:35 am (#59 of 227)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
Padfoot: As some of the older members might inform you, I'm all too serious. I've suggested many ways for it to happen too... Avada by Voldemort... Avada by Harry... thrown off the tallest tower at Hogwarts... insanity-torture with Crucio... thrown off tallest Hogwarts tower while under Crucio and having Avada cast on him just before he hits the ground by both Harry and Voldemort... the list goes on.

"Aahh, but Sherlock Homes was brought back after he was killed, so the same could happen to Harry"

If my memory serves, which it usually does not, he was brought back after the frenzied mob demanded it. Again, Harry dying wouldn't just be a frenzied mob, it would be a humanitarian disaster. The day in which it happens would henceforth be known as 'Black Potter Day' or somesuch.

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Jun 9, 2004 10:44 am (#60 of 227)

Nope! Not going to happen. LOL.

You are probably right about Sherlock Homes's death. And yes, if Harry does get killed off people will go completely nuts. Me included!

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jun 9, 2004 10:55 am (#61 of 227)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
Perhaps not my rather extreme scenarios, but Ron is rather open to a nice cosy death, I would say.

And believe me, if I thought Harry was going to die, I would be learning how to make molotov cocktails and all such right now.

- - - - - - - - - -
draco all the way - Jun 9, 2004 9:40 pm (#62 of 227)

Why Ron of all people? You cruel cruel forum people! Tracie, Brandon, TGF, how can you even suggest such a thing? Sniffle... poor ickle Ronnikins!

- - - - - - - - - -
riquelme - Jun 10, 2004 12:55 am (#63 of 227)

Well, if Tom Cruise survives in Last Samurai, it wouldn't surprise me if Harry Potter survives.

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jun 10, 2004 1:21 am (#64 of 227)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
It's precisely because he's 'poor ickle Ronnikins' that he deserves to die as much as he does.

Though honestly I don't actually mind his character very much in the books, I just care about about him very much. He's quite often whiny and cowardly. For instance, whenever Harry was upset in OotP, he would keep quiet and only speak when he knew it was safe to.

And I honestly think it'd be interesting if he died in the story, so the reaction of everyone else could be measured and all that. Certainly this board would make for great reading if he died. Of the trio, I'd also say he would be most likely to die because of his somewhat mediocre stature as a wizard and foolhardy nature. And better him than Harry, certainly.

I don't think any of the trio is going to really die, though. Doing that would go against the grain of the books, but it's certainly still possible.

- - - - - - - - - -
tracie1976 - Jun 10, 2004 5:15 am (#65 of 227)

"Harry needs her badly." JKR on Hermione...interview from The Times June 30, 2000 artwork for avatar by logansrogue at livejournal.com
draco all the way if you find one of my posts in the Ron thread I have explained a foreshadowing of possible his death...unfortunately I have no clue how link just one post.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Jun 15, 2004 5:24 am (#66 of 227)

Harry will live but like many heroes, he will pay a heavy price for victory. Ron's death is one possibility. or he could suffer a permanent injury. Look at Moody after his career as an Auror; magical eye, wooden leg and a few bits of his body blasted off for good measure

He'll destroy Voldemort but he'll agonise over whether the price was worth it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Jun 15, 2004 9:24 am (#67 of 227)

Of course Harry already has suffered the death of a friend (Sirius) and has a permanent injury (scar). I hope he doesn't have to go through too many more friends dying. That would be a depressing ending.

- - - - - - - - - -
draco all the way - Jun 19, 2004 7:05 am (#68 of 227)

But wouldn't Ron's dying be a bit too cliched? I mean with him being the sidekick and all. But also, I do feel that Harry dying would be very depressing and HP is not that dark. Perhaps, it'll be Hermione...

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jun 19, 2004 8:13 pm (#69 of 227)

Voldemort's command - "Kill the spare" in regards to Diggory - haunts me.

So callous, so cold - could Neville be a spare?

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jun 19, 2004 9:53 pm (#70 of 227)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
Cliches are only cliches when poorly executed. The premise of 'boy finds out he has special powers unlike anything else' is technically a cliche, but JKR made mountains of it. And Ron isn't even a traditional sidekick.

And anyone can be a spare.

- - - - - - - - - -
draco all the way - Jun 19, 2004 11:27 pm (#71 of 227)

Yeah, Haymoni, that part chills me too. At least Sirius went doimg what he wanted to be doing. Plus there was an actual need to take his life. But Cedric's death was so shocking, no needless that I went around wide eyed for 2 days after. (off topic, I know but I didn't know where else to post.

Also, I suppose you're right TGF, the whole series is based on a humungo cliche. But, I would hope, that the end would be a little more inventive seeing as how it will be the culmination of 7 long years at Hogwarts. I just don't want to see Ron die. It might put me off HP forever!

We all have very contrasting opinions, I know, but I think we all agree that someone big is going to die at the end, right?

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Jun 20, 2004 12:29 am (#72 of 227)

Let it snow!
Draco ATW: ...but I think we all agree that someone big is going to die at the end, right?

I hope it's Voldemort!

- - - - - - - - - -
draco all the way - Jun 20, 2004 1:09 am (#73 of 227)

We all do!

- - - - - - - - - -
Tsuta - Jun 20, 2004 12:38 pm (#74 of 227)

Erm... TGF... why do you say things like that about Ron? So he isn't perfect, why does that mean he deserve to die in the horrible ways you described?

Anyway. I don't know Harry's fate, but one thing I'm sure of: Voldemort will die, one way or another.

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jun 20, 2004 12:56 pm (#75 of 227)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
Oh, don't worry Tsuta, I don't believe that Ron should actually die in any of the ways I suggested. Never. Not in a thousand years. Ron could never go out like that. If he were to die, I would hope it would be in a much much more painful way than any of those.

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Jun 21, 2004 1:22 pm (#76 of 227)

Edited by Jun 21, 2004 1:23 pm
I think it's possible that another major character will die, besides just Voldemort. I think it's DD. Harry and friends will continue to live. At least that's what I think now. Maybe after book 6, I will change my mind and it will be someone else who will die. Or be set up to die. Not that we had a lot of forshaddowing that Sirius would die (maybe I just blocked it out).

- - - - - - - - - -
Star Crossed - Jun 21, 2004 2:44 pm (#77 of 227)

Ever wonder what happened while the Marauders were at Hogwarts? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Actually, going back over it, I can't believe how much foreshadowing there is. The biggest thing for me that I noticed after I read OP is his nickname Snuffles. I *always* say "He'll snuff it." But never even made the connection.

- - - - - - - - - -
Accio Book Six - Jun 23, 2004 6:48 am (#78 of 227)

Just to the person who said something like "if Tom Cruise Survived in The Last Samurai"... I, and many friends of mine, took that ending as sort of a myth. Like, he had become the stuff of folklore and myth and that is what many people SAID to have happened. I personally think he died.

But back to the story. Harry will survive, undoubtedly. I just don't think that him surviving will be a happy thing at all, really, if he doesn't have Ron. I'm predicting that he'll lose a lot of people he cares about, but if he doesn't have Ron, why would he WANT to live after everything he's been through? I say the trio will remain intact, although I think their lives will be put in major jeopardy at some point (or pointS)

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Jun 23, 2004 10:37 am (#79 of 227)

Of course Harry could survive the whole ordeal the same way Frodo (LOTR) survived. He was completely changed (mentally, emotionally) and left his friends to go off into the wild blue yonder. Although saying that, I don't think Harry would want to leave the Wizarding world as it means so much to him.

- - - - - - - - - -
Casey - Jun 29, 2004 11:32 am (#80 of 227)

" if he doesn't have Ron, why would he WANT to live after everything he's been through?"

I don't think this idea would be important enough to not kill Ron. I agree that this loss would probably be the most upsetting of any, but I doubt that it would result in Harry's not wanting to go on living. With every loss, although it may not register at the time, Harry grows stronger. That which hurts us, makes us stronger. It's human. I don't see Harry as an emotional wreck with a hopeless life at the end of the series.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Jul 1, 2004 1:35 am (#81 of 227)

JKR's latest FAQ update on her site says that the prophecy in OotP was worded very carefully. "...either must die at the hands of the other.." So Harry cannot kill VM and die an heroic, tragic, death. Either Harry dies and VM lives or Harry Lives and VM dies. And since I can't see JKR finishing off the series with VM winning and plunging the world into darkness, there is only one conclusion.

Harry lives at the end of book seven !!

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 1, 2004 5:55 am (#82 of 227)

Since she (and Trelawney) worded things so carefully, "at the hands of the other" - will it actually be "hands" - not wands?

Will this be a physical battle?

- - - - - - - - - -
Diagon Nilly - Jul 1, 2004 7:14 am (#83 of 227)

Harry Vs. Voldimort in "TOO EXTREME!" Only $29.99 on pay-per-view.
My money's on Harry's finisher, "The Boy Who Piledrove" vs. Voldy's "Snake-Fed Stunner"

cough< sorry, couldn't resist.

- - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Jul 1, 2004 10:31 am (#84 of 227)

"Harry Potter and the Loser-Leaves-Town Cage Match"? Has a nice ring to it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jul 1, 2004 4:57 pm (#85 of 227)

Back in business
What if the only way to vanquish Voldemort is by Harry's death? A spell cast on a future victim, sealed by the murder, that jinx the murderer. At the end, Harry is dead, Voldemort alive but vanquished and the world is safe.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hollywand - Jul 4, 2004 6:47 pm (#86 of 227)

Gryffindor
My goodness, what a twisted thread here! ;-) I....suddenly....feel...so , Slytherin-y, laughing over Ron's many demise scenarios above. Yikes! I most humbly add, (don't hurt me) that I suspect most of our intrepid warriors will survive, including Neville and (gulp) Ron. I suspect Hermione, mudbloods and muggles/pureblood battles will be the focus. I'm hoping Hermione will vanquish Bella, red queen takes green queen, check! Perhaps Vol de Mort will snuff muggle Michael Moore for chasing him through the Ministry of Magic, trying to get the Dark Lord answer to persistent questions. It seems to me that the only way Rowling will kill Harry is if she grows weary of web hackers and persisently pesky 'shippers. Poor Harry.

- - - - - - - - - -
koala marpusial - Jul 6, 2004 2:21 pm (#87 of 227)

are you from new zealand?
I hope she kills Harry because I think Harry is the worst character in the entire series and maybe evil would prevail for once - it's time authors got more realistic about things

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 6, 2004 3:16 pm (#88 of 227)

Wow - JKR may really need to go into hiding if that happens.

- - - - - - - - - -
Cuivienen - Jul 6, 2004 3:39 pm (#89 of 227)

I think maybe she was lying to protect her hidden evil characters. Madam Marsh and Mark Evans will team up in the end and kill Harry, Voldemort and anyone else within reach! *giggles*

Anyone else wondering whether Bolivia will see an early publishing date for book six?

Seriously, though, I doubted from the beginning that JKR would kill Harry, and even more so after reading Trelawney's prophecy. After all, such a death would be more cliche than Ron's and JKR tends away from cliches.

- - - - - - - - - -
Prefect Marcus - Jul 6, 2004 3:55 pm (#90 of 227)

"Anyone can cook"
Cuivienen - Seriously, though, I doubted from the beginning that JKR would kill Harry, and even more so after reading Trelawney's prophecy. After all, such a death would be more cliche than Ron's and JKR tends away from cliches.

I fully agree.

- - - - - - - - - -
StareyedSlytherin - Jul 8, 2004 12:01 am (#91 of 227)

I just hope you guys are right about that^_^ Harry's the last character in the series I'd want to see die. I wouldn't want to see Ron killed off either.

LoL at the Madam Marsh theory a couple posts up! Watch out for Dark Lady Marsh and her own personal little Death Nibbler in future books everyone!!

- - - - - - - - - -
snowflake - Jul 9, 2004 9:59 am (#92 of 227)

"What I think is interesting with the Diary is, that at the end, "without thinking, without considering, as though he HAD MEANT TO DO IT all along, Harry seized the basilisk fang on the floor next to him and plunged it straight into the heart of the book." Is that how he is going to kill the present Voldemort, without thinking, without considering, because it was meant to be? Will this killing of Voldemort's memory mirror the future killing of the real Voldemort?"

I have posted the above in the thread of Tom Riddle's diary, and I am reposting it here. I think Harry is going to live, how can evil be the winner in a children's book?

Harry does not like to have to kill somebody, even someone who has killed his parents, it has become a heavy burden for him, when DD told him about the prophecy. I do not think that he is going to plan to kill Voldemort, but he will REACT to someone trying to hurt him or someone he loves (like when Bellatrix killed Sirius). So at the end, I think Voldemort is going to do something and it is the reaction of Harry that will forever finish Voldemort. But evil is not going to go away, there are still the followers of Voldemort, who will survive. And in the future Malvoy may become the leader.

- - - - - - - - - -
narisa - Jul 10, 2004 7:05 am (#93 of 227)

Harry will alive for sure. If you read SS carefully, you will see it. It is in the chapter that Harry got exam. I am not sure for the full sentence, but it is like " Years later, Harry can't remember how he pass the exam when he fear that Voldemort will break in to the school." or something like that. It mean to me that Harry will survive, I think that years later mean the time when he finish the school and look to his own past .

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jul 10, 2004 7:22 am (#94 of 227)

Back in business
It could be in his sixth or seventh year when he will again "fear that Voldemort will break into the school" and fully realise how he's distracted by the fact Voldemort was lurking around while it didn't bothered him so much when he was 11.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 10, 2004 3:35 pm (#95 of 227)

Narisa - I was just thinking about that quote this morning and I couldn't remember the reference! I thought the same thing.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - Jul 10, 2004 3:39 pm (#96 of 227)

I don't think the sentence "in years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he had managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment..." (p. 262, American Hardback Edition) really proves Harry will live after the series. After all, the six years following that sentence do qualify as "years to come" since they are both years and did come after that moment.

"And either must die at the hands of the other for neither can live while the other survives..." Well, that's kind've a strange sentence, isn't it? Sure, you can grab onto the first part really easily and just say "oh gosh... that means Harry can live because one or the other is going to die", but has anyone stopped to think about the second part?

If neither can live while the other survives, then what are Harry and Voldemort doing right now?

J.K. Rowling has said the prophecy is worded extremely carefully, so you have to take that into account and figure that there's at least a chance that one of the two of them isn't "alive" RIGHT NOW.

- - - - - - - - - -
Anna Osipova - Jul 10, 2004 3:47 pm (#97 of 227)

I always interpreted that as not the literal meaning of "life", but on a more "get a life" meaning. Both LV's and Harry's lives revolve around the other. Harry is scared to get too close to someone because he is afraid LV will use that to his benefit. LV, on the other hand, cannot pursue taking over the WW until Harry is dead.

Also, through their connection via the backfired spell, they are sort of living one life. They share a destiny (either must die at the hands of the other). Once that destiny is fulfilled, they can begin their "own" life.

- - - - - - - - - -
Nymphadora - Jul 10, 2004 5:38 pm (#98 of 227)

Anna Osipova, you're expressing exactly my thoughts regarding the prophecy wording!! I'm very happy to find a person who thinks in such a similar way Very Happy

Always thought about the difference of the verbs used, ie. "survive" does mean "live" in the most rudimentary sense, but "live" is fuller, means making sense of your life, leading a meaningful life. Harry will not lead a full life until Voldemort is vanquished once and for all (I "shudder to think" what leading a meaningful life would mean for Voldemort, but he's not either). Apart from his mother and father, and the ten years at 4 Privet Drive he had as reasons before Hogwarts, right now Harry has a whole host of issues against Voldemort, and the prophecy to cap everything. So, unless he destroys Voldemort, he won't really live - as won't anyone else involved in the war, actually. In every war, and even more so, in every vendetta (which this reminds me of), the two parts are not allowed to live until the duty is fulfilled.

I fully believe that this is what the prophecy means, but we'll see...as with everything else, I suppose.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jul 11, 2004 5:35 am (#99 of 227)

Back in business
I was also my interpretetion od the line Anna and Nymphadora.

- - - - - - - - - -
narisa - Jul 11, 2004 7:19 am (#100 of 227)

I am also think like Anna and Nymphadora.

Andrew- I don't think "in years come" mean Harry 6th or 7th years. I don't think when Harry is still have fear about Voldemort in his 6th or 7th year, he will have time to think back to his first year. "Harry would never quite remember" mean to me that he try to think what his first year is like, and that won't be this soon.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

It appears that Harry will live after the series! Empty It appears that Harry will live after the series (Post 101 to 150)

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 am

Weeny Owl - Jul 11, 2004 9:00 am (#101 of 227)
I don't think "in years come" mean Harry 6th or 7th years.

Chances are it doesn't and that Harry will live, but if JKR did kill him off and someone mentioned this passage, she would say what's already been said... "years" is plural and means more than one.

I've felt for a long time that the title of the first chapter in the first book is much more significant than just Harry surviving his first encounter with Voldemort. "The Boy Who Lived" will continue being the boy who lived.

- - - - - - - - - -
Diagon Nilly - Jul 11, 2004 9:18 am (#102 of 227)

Maybe Harry will live, but not really. Like some sort of key to defeating Voldy will be to have his soul sucked out or something. Ew, how gruesome but incredibly heroic if Harry makes this realization and goes about it voluntarily...

...I don't really buy this, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

- - - - - - - - - -
TGF - Jul 11, 2004 11:16 am (#103 of 227)

Anti-Voldemort Insurgent
That would be a great ending. "And then Harry lived happily ever as a soul-less husk, enjoying the quiet life as a corporate lawyer."

- - - - - - - - - -
Courtney22 - Jul 11, 2004 2:35 pm (#104 of 227)

Corporate executive is more like it...

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - Jul 11, 2004 5:12 pm (#105 of 227)

Oh, I don't really imagine Harry Potter will be killed at the end of the series (though I wouldn't put it past anyone who says you have to be a cold blooded killer in order to be a children's writer...). I was just saying that one sentence in SS/PS doesn't indicate anything that hasn't already come to pass.

- - - - - - - - - -
Aeoliano - Jul 11, 2004 9:07 pm (#106 of 227)

Piero da Lerici
I wonder...

The spell used in the attempt on Harry's life was invoked by Lord Voldemort ... rather than by one of his hench death eaters. It was "deflected" or "transmuted" by Harry's mother. It seems to infer that perhaps Harry and Tom Riddle are related? Since it was Harry's mother Lilly who created the defense I would guess that may be a blood relationship between the two though her. JKR mentions that there would be some information about his grandparents upcoming. I am sure others have already guessed at this...

-- A.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - Jul 11, 2004 9:17 pm (#107 of 227)

Aeoliano... Noperz. You can put an absolute kibosh on the theory that Voldemort and Harry are related. If you look under the "Rumors" section of J.K. Rowling's site, you'll find she has this to say about Harry and Voldemort being related:

No, no, no, no, no. You lot have been watching much too much Star Wars. James is DEFINITELY Harry’s father. Doesn’t everybody Harry meets say ‘you look just like your father’? And hasn’t Dumbledore already told Harry that Voldemort is the last surviving descendent of Salazar Slytherin. Just to clarify—this means that Harry is NOT a descendent of Salazar Slytherin.

Even in absence of the first five words in that answer, all of which are "No", she states that the two are descended from different bloodlines at the tail end of her answer. Hence, they cannot be related by blood in any meaningful way.

- - - - - - - - - -
Aeoliano - Jul 12, 2004 8:35 am (#108 of 227)

Piero da Lerici
Ah.. but I was referring to the "Muggle" side of the family. Has she mentioned that in any of her posts? Lilly was a "Mudblood".

-- A.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - Jul 12, 2004 10:18 am (#109 of 227)

Again, see the first five words of her answer. Is Harry related to Voldemort? "No, no, no, no, no." I'm not sure how much clearer she can be than that.

As for whether or not she's made any specific mention of the Evanses being related to the Riddles, she hasn't said one way or another, but her general comments on Harry's family background would lead to the conclusion they aren't related, since she states his grandparents really aren't important to the story (and having a blood connection to Voldemort through either side of Harry's family would be one of those dreadfully important details).

- - - - - - - - - -
Aeoliano - Jul 12, 2004 3:51 pm (#110 of 227)

Piero da Lerici
Hmmm, well you are most likely right.. still it does seem rather odd that Harry could so easily "connect" with Voldemort.. spell or not.. that he would so easily pick up some of his Slytherin attributes. Something to do with genetics would seem to make a plausible scenario.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - Jul 12, 2004 6:34 pm (#111 of 227)

Well, it would be easy for us to grasp onto some genetic explanation, but really... why would that make it a more plausible scenario? Because their genes are closer together? If you want to be technical about it, you're looking at a species whose genetic variation can, at most, be measured in a hundredth of a percent or two. I mean, with the exception of those few genes determining sex, melanin content in the skin, eyes, hair, etc... and genetic malfunctions that cause certain diseases, there really isn't any practical difference between one human being and another genetically speaking. Boy, all the bigots of the world are going to hate me for saying that.

But anyway, I think she's gone to pretty good lengths to explain how the connection was forged between Harry and Voldemort and why it exists, and I'm sure she'll shore up what she's given us about it so far, so I'm confident the genetic factor probably isn't needed.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Jul 14, 2004 11:47 pm (#112 of 227)

Let it snow!
Aeoliano: The spell used in the attempt on Harry's life was invoked by Lord Voldemort ... rather than by one of his hench death eaters. It was "deflected" or "transmuted" by Harry's mother. It seems to infer that perhaps Harry and Tom Riddle are related? Since it was Harry's mother Lilly who created the defense I would guess that may be a blood relationship between the two though her.

I don't quite understand you here. Why does this point to them being related? It is the backfired curse that forged the connection between Harry and Voldemort and allowed powers to be transferred from Voldemort to Harry (Voldemort 'marked him as his equal' by AK-ing him and the curse rebounding). The curse rebounded because Lily died to save her son, thus envoking an ancient magic which appears to hinge on love and selfless sacrifice. This is all explained in the books. I see no connection here between Lily and Voldemort.....

- - - - - - - - - -
Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Jul 15, 2004 12:50 pm (#113 of 227)

No day but Today
I am glad that people are saying that harry WILL NOT DIE! if he does (HE WILL NOT!), not only will I cry myself to a raisin, but I will personally write J.K.R. a VERY nasty letter and I will never read the books again! (thats a lie. my goal is to read all seven at least ten times each!)

- - - - - - - - - -
Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Jul 15, 2004 12:55 pm (#114 of 227)

No day but Today
Edited by S.E. Jones Jul 16, 2004 1:16 am
what d'you mean harry is somehow related to tom riddle?! you people have been watching too much star wars!! i'm quite sure J.K. is not a cliche kinda person, because that's SO a cliche! and it doesn't make sense besides. perhaps you should read all five books over again my friend.

->Matilda, take it down a notch. People are entitle to their own opinions and theories, even if you disagree. There is no reason to have such a snippy tone.<- SE Jones

- - - - - - - - - -
Leila 2X4B - Jul 15, 2004 1:01 pm (#115 of 227)

I'd be smegged off. I'd be mad as hell, man. If some git in a white coat designed me to croak just so that he could sell his new android with go-faster stripes.
Harry cannot be related to Voldemort. On the Website JKR states that Harry isn't related to Vodly, thus not to Tom Riddle either

- - - - - - - - - -
Julia. - Jul 15, 2004 10:08 pm (#116 of 227)

74% obsessed! Uconn Jew Crew says: is it August yet?
On the Website JKR states that Harry isn't related to Vodly. Really? I must have missed it. Where on the site is it?

- - - - - - - - - -
Leila 2X4B - Jul 15, 2004 10:34 pm (#117 of 227)

I'd be smegged off. I'd be mad as hell, man. If some git in a white coat designed me to croak just so that he could sell his new android with go-faster stripes.
In the rumors section

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - Jul 16, 2004 5:25 am (#118 of 227)

You have to go to a combination of places to ferret out the answer for this on both sides of Harry's family. For the wizarding side of it, J.K. Rowling says, in the rumor section of her website that Tom Riddle is the last surviving descendent of Salazar Slytherin, and to be very clear, that means Harry isn't. So, they have no connection through their wizarding geneology. In fact, you could pretty well stop there since the first five words of the answer to whether or not Harry and Voldemort are "close relations" are "No, no, no, no, no."

However, even if you want to take this as only applying to one side of Harry's family and give yourself an out on the muggle side, J.K. Rowling cuts you off in the books when she says that Lily Evans's last surviving relatives are Petunia and Dudley Dursley (see SS/PS and OotP for that). Taking those two answers together, there's no way Harry and Voldemort are related.

- - - - - - - - - -
Half Blood Princess - Jul 18, 2004 7:05 pm (#119 of 227)

I think Harry will live, there are two paragraphs, and one makes me think all 3 will survive, unless by some freak mistake by JK. The first one was mentioned previously on this thread.

In years to come, Harry would never quite remember how he had managed to get through his exams when he half expected Voldemort to come bursting through the door at any moment. Yet the days crept by, and there could be no doubt that Fluffy was still alive and well behind the locked door.

Then, in COS, the first paragraph of the chapter "Cornelieus Fudge":

Harry, Ron, and Hermione had always known that Hagrid had an unfortunate liking for large and monstrous creatures. During their first year at Hogwarts he had tried to raise a dragon in his little wooden house, and it would be a long time before they forgot the giant, three-headed dog he'd christened "Fluffy".

So I think they will live.

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Jul 20, 2004 3:50 am (#120 of 227)

Years have already passed since Harry's first year exams, and as for the "long time" quote... well, it depends on what Harry considered a "long time." But to a 12-year-old, I think that 5 years would be a long time.

In other words, Harry might just as easily die in spite of those quotes.

- - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Jul 21, 2004 12:10 am (#121 of 227)

Okay, this has been been nagging at me, but I want to point something out. I haven't seen it around, unless it's on the Prophecy thread (likely), which I haven't been following. It's...too...much... Wink

In Trelawney's first prophecy, the phrase that everyone focuses on is "...and either must die at the hands of the other." What I'm wondering about, though, is the next line: "For neither can live while the other survives."

Everyone I've seen has theorized that this means that Harry must kill Voldemort, but to me it says that they're both slated for the other side. It's the "neither" that gets me, as that implies both subjects, not one or the other. JKR said she phrased that very carefully, which leads me to believe that Harry & LV will end up taking each other down in the final battle.

Mind you, I want Harry to survive. I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I just get a weird feeling about that line...

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - -
Professor V - Jul 21, 2004 7:10 am (#122 of 227)

"For neither can live while the other survives."

Mike, that line was the line that stuck out for me, even the first time I read the book. It definitely gave me a major case of the wiggins, especially since she is currently leading Harry and us to focus on the fact that he has to kill Voldemort.

Back in post #79 Padfoot made a reference to Frodo and his journey from LOTR. While Frodo accomplishes his goal and saves the world, he is for all intents and purposes destroyed in the process. As much as I wish it were otherwise, I believe this is Harry's future. (many tears falling at the thought of this future, as it seems much worse than a your typical hero dies in the end for what he believes in scenario)

- - - - - - - - - -
Half Blood Princess - Jul 21, 2004 6:48 pm (#123 of 227)

Giant squid,

I was thinking that perhaps harry could die...I had posted something earlier saying that he will live, but now I think he might snuff it.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies...and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not....and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."

the thing that gets me the most is that this might be a huge big hint that harry will die. If you take the definitions of the words:
either-The one or the other
neither -Not one or the other

"....and either must die at the hand of the other..." - one of them has to die.
"for neither can live while the other survives..." - both of them cannot live if one survives.

So, I think this means the end of Harry. They both cannot live together, so they both must die together.

BUUUTTT....is this the literal meaning of death? or a death of an old life and the birth of a new beginning??

- - - - - - - - - -
Lily Potter - Jul 21, 2004 7:42 pm (#124 of 227)

Mother to Harry, Wife to James
Either must die at the hand of the other seems like it's pretty straight forward. For one of them to die, the other has to kill him.

For neither can live while the other survives.. the more interesting point I find here is how are they now both surviving. Voldemort tried to kill Harry, but couldn't, and because he survived, Voldemort was left barely there. Now, that he's come back, how are they both continuing on? I have a feeling it might almost be that something.. some sort of power is going to be forcing the issue. And I'm surprised that they're going to essentially both surviving for two years. Makes the prophesy seem a bit stretched.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hollywand - Jul 21, 2004 7:55 pm (#125 of 227)

Gryffindor
Perhaps I am being a Hollywand Pollyana, but my interpretation is that each of them is merely subsisting ("surviving") symbiotically, and neither of them will move forward with their individual plans ("live", "get a life" etc) until they are severed, separated and one dies. Harry has been marked from a wee tot and chased and never really lived his true childhood. Voldy was just vapor in Albania, that's certainly not much of a life ;') And so, then, Harry will go on to a brillant career as an Auror and right hand to Dumbledore. Or, Voldy will smoke HP and go on to a very evil career hassling muggles worldwide. Wait, I think I know a few people like this.... I was hoping Harry would drain the Voldemort energy out of Tom Riddle and leave him to the muggles. He certainly deserves to be brought to justice, and wouldn't that be one 'fate worse than death" Dumbledore is warning Voldemort about? Some kind of warped optimism, hmmmm.....

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jul 21, 2004 9:15 pm (#126 of 227)

Back in business
"and either must die at the hand of the other" -> one of them, and only one of them, have to die because of the other. The other could die because of someone else three second after, or even three second before the one, but only one of them die at the hand of the other.

"for neither can live while the other survives" -> I never took that bit literally, because quite obviously they are both alive and surviving. None of them can achieve anything as long as the other is alive is my interpretation of the line.

"and either must die at the hand of the other, for neither can live while the other survives" -> one of them have to die because of the other, cause none of them can achieve anything while the other is still around.

- - - - - - - - - -
The Wandless Wizard - Jul 21, 2004 10:01 pm (#127 of 227)

When wands are outlawed, only outlaws will have wands.
I took survivng to mean something else then living a real or a happy life (however you want to put it). To me, surviving means living through a big event, some crucial battle when the rivalry between the two will come to a head. Neither can live if the other survives that critical point/battle (which we can call the second to last chapter of book 7). The prophecy does not tell us everything, but I think it hints that this critical confrantation is coming. I think that is what only one can survive. So if Voldemort survives it, harry cannot live and vice versa.

That doesn't mean Harry will live though. Like Tomoe said, Harry could kill Voldemort and Bellatrix could kill him 3 seconds later. I can also see a scenario with Harry realizing he cannot defeat Voldemort. So he figures out how to transfer his power (to defeat the dark Lord) to another, maybe DD. Voldemort kills Harry fulfilling the prophecy but the other is able to defeat Voldemort, maybe killing him, maybe the fate worse than death thing. That was Harry can be the tragic hero and Voldemort would not win. Just a possibility.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Jul 21, 2004 11:14 pm (#128 of 227)

Let it snow!
Half Blood Princess: "for neither can live while the other survives..." - both of them cannot live if one survives.

It's "while" not "if". I think that makes a big difference on the meaning.

We also have a 'Meaning of the Prophecy' thread, if anyone is interested.

- - - - - - - - - -
JK Powers - Jul 22, 2004 6:05 am (#129 of 227)

no relation
I take it to mean, that neither one can live a full and peaceful life while the other one still lingers out there ready and able to defeat them. Their lives are spent hiding in fear because the other poses a threat. Because obviously both are alive at the moment, and it didn't shatter the fabric of the space time continuum.

- - - - - - - - - -
Courtney22 - Jul 22, 2004 4:19 pm (#130 of 227)

I would like to throw out there to further confuse matters that Harry could die but still live....HOW you ask?

Well he could die but then be revived (Some sort of magical equivalent to CPR) Something similar to what happens in that movie Life or Something Like It (I think thats what it was called with Angelina Jolie) Where a guy predicted her death in seven days and she gets shot and is technically dead for a few minutes but is then revived. (Sorry if I ruined that for anyone)

Well perhaps something happens to Harry and he dies (Only momentarily) but then say Fawkes soars in to save the day. Just an abstract theory to ponder.

- - - - - - - - - -
Lord Montemort - Jul 22, 2004 7:35 pm (#131 of 227)

If there is a book 8, I hope it's an short story anthology sort of a "what happens next" type deal at different times in the characters lives.

Failing that I really hope at the end of book 7 there's a Tolkenesque appendix highlighting what happened. Even if it's just age blah blah this happens to X.

I think he'll live, but the question remains is what quality will his life be? He could end up in St. Mungo's perma care ward for all we know. That and killing Voldemort is bound to lead to some undesirable effects...the least being murdering someone at seventeen.

Would be quite the trip if Harry became evil down the road (the whole Nieztche staring into the abyss quote).

- - - - - - - - - -
Professor V - Jul 22, 2004 8:56 pm (#132 of 227)

I definitely think Harry has a Frodoesque future, much to my great sorrow.

- - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Jul 23, 2004 4:57 am (#133 of 227)

Gee, thanks Courtney...now you've ruined it! Of course, I had no plans of ever watching that movie, so it's not that big of a deal... Wink

Lord Montemort, I tend to think that the last chapter of book 7, the one that's already written, is the "what happens next" chapter. AS for the end of the saga, call me a romantic but I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I get the feeling there'll be a sunset for Harry to ride off into (or, for the Frodo fans, sail into).

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - -
Padfoot - Jul 23, 2004 10:53 am (#134 of 227)

Edited by Jul 23, 2004 10:54 am
call me a romantic but I'm a sucker for a happy ending

I think the same way Mike. I remember learning once that the true German endings to several of Grimm's Fairy Tales translates to: And if they are not dead yet, then they are still living. Sure is a lot funnier (and realistic) than "they lived happily ever after". That's how I see book 7 ending.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 23, 2004 6:44 pm (#135 of 227)

Someone suggested that the Potions tidbits that Snape throws out in Class 1 could be important.

When you were talking about dying but not really dying, I thought about that Draught of the Sleeping Dead or whatever it was called.

..and Aberforth could produce a beazor from one of his goats to save Harry.

The End!

- - - - - - - - - -
remiden - Jul 23, 2004 8:55 pm (#136 of 227)

I don't think that anyone major will die, with the exception of Dumbledore. JKR has had many chances to have major characters die and has chosen not too. In CoS, she could have easily killed off several nobodies and it would not have been a big deal, instead, she found ways to ensure that everyone made it out ok. Hermione by looking in the mirror, Mrs Norris by looking in the water, the kid with the camera by looking in the camera, the one that looked through the ghost, the ghost himself....... She conveniently let everyone off the hook so far with the exception of Cedric. She has made Sirius's "death" in a way that he could very well return, since he was not ever seen to actually die, but to fall through the viel and she has yet to explain just exactly what the viel is. I believe that she will kill off several of the evil characters. Lucius Malfor, Bellatrix lestrange, Pettigrew, and Voldemort, along with dumbledore are who I predict will not make it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Jul 25, 2004 5:18 am (#137 of 227)

Given the emotional rollercoaster JKR went on when she wrote the death scene for Sirius , I think it is unlikely Harry will die as the pressure of keeping a secret like that all these years would have caused her to tell SOMEONE sooner or later. Either that or JKR has a will of iron. Personally I think Harry will surrvive - but literally by the skin of his teeth.

Make a note everyone: buy book seven on a Friday or a Saturday , because you will not be able to stop reading until the very last page. (assuming you buy the book in the afternoon, I predict you will not go to sleep until 2 or 3 O'clock in the morning )

- - - - - - - - - -
James Greenfield - Jul 28, 2004 12:47 am (#138 of 227)

How about this for a possible ending?

Harry and Voldemort have their final battle in the air above Hogwarts riding broomsticks. They hex each other's brooms to fail, and crash to their deaths choking each other (dying at each other's hands) by the main entrance to the castle.By some process (JKR said she'd tell us more in the last two books) they both become ghosts, bound to Hogwarts. Harry accompanies Nearly-Headless Nick to haunt Gryffindors, and Voldemort accompanies the Bloody Baron to haunt Slytherins.

I think this would satisfy all the terms of the Prophecy, and give Voldemort something "worse than simply dying", as Dumbledore said.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Jul 28, 2004 4:56 am (#139 of 227)

One flaw in your idea. Wizards only become ghosts when they are too afraid to face death and beyond. Harry would not be afraid and would definitely NOT want to spend eternity wandering around as a ghost and thus miss out on his reunion with his parents and Sirius.

And VM as a spook ? Egads! Even the ghosts at Hogwarts have SOME standards. As Sir Nick might say " Oh dear, there goes the neighbourhood."

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jul 28, 2004 10:51 am (#140 of 227)

Back in business
The only problem I have with that idea is the either must die at the hand of the other, it seems to mean one or the other will die at the hand of the other, but not both. However, English is not my first language, can someone else analyse that?

- - - - - - - - - -
Luke E.A. Lockhart - Jul 28, 2004 11:06 am (#141 of 227)

As a native English speaker, I agree that I see nothing in the prophecy to indicate anything other than the obvious guess: either Harry or Voldie must die.

- - - - - - - - - -
Verschwinden Sie - Jul 28, 2004 5:26 pm (#142 of 227)

Well, there are several things about the prophecy that bother me, even as an English speaker because J.K. Rowling says it was worded with extreme care, and my read on the meaning of the prophecy leads to certain conclusions that no one seems to have addressed adequately yet, so don't worry if you're having a problem with it, Tomoe... you're certainly not alone.

- - - - - - - - - -
The Wandless Wizard - Jul 28, 2004 5:40 pm (#143 of 227)

When wands are outlawed, only outlaws will have wands.
Andrew, just because she worded it carefully does not mean their is only one interpretation. Maybe she worded it carefully so that there would be multiple interpretations, only one of which being the one she had in mind.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Jul 29, 2004 4:32 am (#144 of 227)

It is the nature of prophecies to be vague. A prophecy is a warning ,or an alert if you like, to a decision that must be made by a specific person or persons at a critical point in time. Only at this moment when the choice must be made ,or the action performed, will the words of the prophecy make absolute sense. To everyone else they will seem vague and at most times gibberish. Only when Harry is facing VM for the final showdown will he have a moment of absolute clarity and he will know what he must do to fulfill the prophecy.

For all we know, DD could cast a spell on Harry allowing him to enter a death-like state long enough for VM to be defeated and allow DD to revive Harry after. Sounds farfetched - not really. Muggle doctors can do this with certain drugs. Why not with magic ?

- - - - - - - - - -
Star Crossed - Jul 29, 2004 6:40 am (#145 of 227)

Ever wonder what happened while the Marauders were at Hogwarts? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Like...the Draught of the Living Dead?

Yeah, I'm dead set that Harry will be given this at one point in the series.

- - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Jul 30, 2004 4:26 am (#146 of 227)

The Draught of the Living Dead has been mentioned before, but the concensus seemed to be that Harry would not be the recipient. Simply put, Harry is the "star" of the books, and the Draught would take him out of the action.

My guess is that DD will end up taking it, causing everyone to think he's dead and lulling LV into a false sense of security...but that's for another thread.

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 30, 2004 12:44 pm (#147 of 227)

Unless Aberforth saves him with a beazor from one of his goats!!!!

- - - - - - - - - -
lobelia - Jul 30, 2004 12:58 pm (#148 of 227)

J.K. Rowling has said about the prophecy:

"both Madam Trelawney and I worded the prophecy extremely carefully and that is all I have to say on the subject."

The first time I read it, I thought: OK, now, either one has to kill the other....I still think that. However, there has been some speculation that due to some magic bond or specialness no one else but Harry can kill Voldemort and vice versa.

I disagree that no one else can kill Harry or Voldemort. I think the profecy goes even further to hint that if someone else tries to kill Harry or Voldemort that they both die.

....and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives ...

In OoTP we see that Dumbledore does not try to kill Voldemort but capture him. Well Dumbledore is the only person who has heard the complete prophecy, as we find out at the end. We often think that Dumbledore is trying to restore Tim Riddle, but perhaps he knows that to kill Voldemort (by any other hand than Harry), would doom Harry.

Perhaps this is the reason that the death curse backfired in the first place. I have seen some speculate (due to the fact that the curse never came out during the Priori Incantanto)that perhaps someone else actually tried to kill Harry, but it backfired on Voldemort?

PS: If asked to speculate more I would say that GOdric Gryffindor put some ancient magic in his blood....that would protect the true Gryffindor heir from the Slytherin heir.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Jul 30, 2004 4:52 pm (#149 of 227)

Let it snow!
Perhaps this is the reason that the death curse backfired in the first place. I have seen some speculate (due to the fact that the curse never came out during the Priori Incantanto)that perhaps someone else actually tried to kill Harry, but it backfired on Voldemort?

Excellent post, lobelia; very close to many of my own conclusions. I think the reason the curse backfired is because it wasn't bouncing off Harry but Lily's love. Harry wasn't the one who caused it, Lily was, so it couldn't kill Voldemort and Voldemort couldn't kill Harry (well, at the time)....

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 30, 2004 6:16 pm (#150 of 227)

Ever since I first heard about the prophecy being "worded carefully", I have thought about the words "the other".

Either must die at the hand of "the other" and neither can live while "the other" survives.

Could "the other" be a 3rd person?
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

It appears that Harry will live after the series! Empty It appears that Harry will live after the series (Post 151 to 200)

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:42 am

Hollywand - Jul 30, 2004 9:09 pm (#151 of 227)
Gryffindor
Haymoni, the wording of the prophecy has been discussed recently at length in the Meaning of the Prophecy thread; it's a great discussion. Cheers!

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Jul 31, 2004 10:13 am (#152 of 227)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] opens on the 13th of November at 9pm GTM
haymoni - I think your onto something there. Could this other be Neville?

- - - - - - - - - -
Lord Montemort - Aug 3, 2004 4:20 pm (#153 of 227)

I didn't know where to put this, book this looked to be the most apt.

There will be an eighth book. This is from imdb

Rowling Planning 'Potter 8'

Author JK Rowling is planning to write an eighth Harry Potter novel. The English novelist - currently adding the finishing touches to her sixth Potter book - had previously vowed to only create seven adventures about the magical wizard. But she now wants to add an eighth entry, featuring outtakes she has edited from the series so far. Rowling will donate all proceeds from the book to charity, and publishers estimate the "Harry Potter Encyclopedia" could make in excess of $18 million. But the 39-year-old insists she's ready to retire when the hugely successful series ends. Rowling, who has made an estimated $960 million from Harry Potter, says, "I think it highly unlikely I'll write more novels. I've got enough for seven books and I never meant to carry the story beyond the end of book seven."

- - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Aug 3, 2004 4:37 pm (#154 of 227)

Ravenclaw Pony
IMDB is not the most reliable source of information on the net. TLC has already addressed the issue and I think I would accept TLC more readily than IMDB

The Leaky Cauldron

- - - - - - - - - -
Leila 2X4B - Aug 3, 2004 4:40 pm (#155 of 227)

Holy Batman. I can't believe it till it is on her site. But wow.

Leila

- - - - - - - - - -
Marie E. - Aug 4, 2004 9:57 pm (#156 of 227)

I read something similar in my paper this morning, but that doesn't make it definite either. I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read "JK Rowling announces plans to write eight book". They should really warn people first!

- - - - - - - - - -
Chris. - Aug 4, 2004 9:59 pm (#157 of 227)

HBP: 16th July 2005: the most anticipated day in history
Same here!

I very much doubt that it's true. I'm VERY! cautious after that Pillar of Storge thing.

- - - - - - - - - -
Loony Loopy Larissa - Aug 5, 2004 5:48 am (#158 of 227)

It is my firm belief, along with my aunt and sister (two very huge fans of the series as well) that Jo should write Hogwarts, A History for charity, like the other books, though it should be a full-length novel.

- - - - - - - - - -
mike miller - Aug 9, 2004 6:49 am (#159 of 227)

aka The Barmy Old Codger
Based on previous interviews, it seems that the last chapter of book 7 is to be some kind of epilogue. Perhaps JKR has decided to expand the epilogue into a full book as an opportunity to raise money for charity.

I'll wait to hear it from JKR herself; however, Hogwarts, A History with a few chapters devoted to some of Hogwarts' more notable students would work quite nicely.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Aug 12, 2004 5:59 am (#160 of 227)

Back in business
I don't believe it's true, she would have told us before the papers could tell us. We did learn the title of book 6 before anyone could spoil the opening of the door.

- - - - - - - - - -
Good Evans - Aug 12, 2004 11:49 am (#161 of 227)

Practically perfect in every way
I've posted this is centaurs - but thought it worth copying over here too.

Ok - You guys have got me noticing things now..... I'm currently listening to PS/SS and have just past the detention in the forbidden forest. I had remembered the "mars is bright tonight" bit - but had forgotten about Firenze saying about "This is the Potter boy, the quicker he leaves this forest the better" Bane then responds "What have you been telling him Firenze, we are sworn not to set ourselves against the heavens, have we not read what is to come in the movement of the planets" and then later "good luck harry Potter The planets have been read wrongly before now , even by centaurs, I hope this is one of those times" Now I always took this as being specific to PS/SS and referring to Harry defeating Voldie/ Quirrell, but now looking at how the series has unfolded I wonder if this is a larger warning. Are the Centaurs telling us the stars say that Harry will die at the hand of Voldie?

And what will happen if the Centaurs do set themsleves agains the heavens? Firenze has now crossed over from the herd and is working for DD. Will he work against the heavens or will he be the catalyst to bring the others over the DD's side when the war starts?

But then again - and as Firenze restates in OOtP the centaurs have made mistakes in the future telling before. The telling of the future is not about what happens today or tomorrow but more what will happen eventually and that the time is appraoching fast, most of this is alluded to but no specifics are stated.

Much as I dont want Harry to die at the end can we change what is written in the stars? (well on JKR's note book)

Just todays two knuts anyway...

- - - - - - - - - -
Annika - Aug 12, 2004 12:22 pm (#162 of 227)

Firenze may be referring to Harry's road ahead, not necessarily the end of the road.

- - - - - - - - - -
S.E. Jones - Aug 13, 2004 2:48 am (#163 of 227)

Let it snow!
All the centaurs were saying was "Mars is bright tonight", which Firenze might have believed meant Voldemort was getting more powerful and which the others might have believed meant Voldemort was destined to win. As Firenze said, "the planets have been read wrongly before now , even by centaurs" (PS) and "it may take ten years to be sure of what we are seeing" (OotP).

Here's what he says in OotP, in case you're interested: "In the past decade, the indications have been that the Wizard-kind is living through nothing more than a brief calm between two wars. Mars, bringer of battle, shines brightly above us, suggesting that the fight must break out again soon."

About an 8th book, here's what she has on her website (FAQ about the Books):

FAQ: Will you write more Harry Potter books after the seventh?
JKR: If you mean more novels, then I think it highly unlikely. I’ve got enough story for seven books and I never planned to carry the story beyond the end of book seven. I might do an eighth book for charity, a kind of encyclopaedia of the world so that I could use all the extra material that’s not in the books... we’ll see!

- - - - - - - - - -
Diagon Nilly - Aug 15, 2004 7:04 am (#164 of 227)

Some Book festival tidbits are out....and yes, it's confirmed. Harry WILL live after the series.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ozymandias - Aug 15, 2004 7:21 am (#165 of 227)

Nothing beside remains...
Maybe it's just the skeptic in me, but "to book seven" seems like it means up until the start of book 7. I think that statement guarantees he'll live through HBP, but not necessarily any longer.

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Aug 15, 2004 9:33 am (#166 of 227)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] opens on the 13th of November at 9pm GTM
Diagon Nilly : "and yes, it's confirmed. Harry WILL live after the series. "

Im a bit confused...Didn't JKR refuse to comment on whether Harry would live, but just say he would live until book 7?

Sorry if i've missed anything.

- - - - - - - - - -
Diagon Nilly - Aug 15, 2004 10:01 am (#167 of 227)

My excited and harried comment was based on BBC News saying "She told them her eponymous hero would 'survive to book seven' but refused to confirm whether he would grow up to be a wizard."

The way BBC News worded it, it's a tad misleading as it implied to me that Harry will grow up but may not be a wizard. And also it implied that he would survive the series because, of COURSE he would live up to book seven. Why would he die before book seven? Anyway, it created a huge donut-like vortex of misinformed presumptions on my part.

Now the REST of the quote (from CNN) came out, which is ""He will survive to book seven, mainly because I don't want to be strangled by you lot, but I don't want to say whether he grows any older than that."

So it looks like the topic is back up for debate.

- - - - - - - - - -
TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 15, 2004 1:01 pm (#168 of 227)

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking"
I think for now I will go with the "up to book 7" idea.

Now that we have some more to mull over, and stoat sandwiches have been banned...stoat on a stick anyone?

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Aug 16, 2004 12:12 am (#169 of 227)

JKR will play this "will he or won't he?" right up to the time book 7 is released. For obvious reasons. She can't really afford to pre-empt the next 2 books. Plus I think she enjoys teasing her fans just a little bit.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Aug 16, 2004 12:47 am (#170 of 227)

In the Aunt Petunia thread, there has been suggested the idea of a spell/charm/potion that can strip a member of the WW of his or her powers permantly. What if Harry at the final battle with VM, activated this spell and destroyed his and VM's powers. Harry the wizard would die BUT Harry the muggle would live on. Since Harry is used to the muggle life, he would survive but to Voldemort this would be effectively a living death.

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Aug 16, 2004 3:12 pm (#171 of 227)

I hope not...I would prefer Harry the wizard, but the theory itself is entirely possible.

- - - - - - - - - -
Annika - Aug 16, 2004 6:57 pm (#172 of 227)

I hope not ... "there are some things worse than death." That statement, IMHO, would apply to both Harry and Voldie. Harry has lived more in the last 5 years than he did the first 11. He finally knows were he belongs. I fear it would be a fate worse than death to strip that from him. Though the idea of Voldie hailing a cab or pushing a trolly through the grocery store to buy frozen dinners is a bit funny.

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Aug 17, 2004 2:51 am (#173 of 227)

True it would be difficult fot Harry to give it all up but if this was the only way to neutralise Voldemort , I think Harry would be willing to make the sacrifice. He knows the cost and he knows what will happen if VM isn't stopped once and for all.

- - - - - - - - - -
Joelle - Aug 17, 2004 2:35 pm (#174 of 227)

somehow i dont think that harry would become muggle. i think its defeat voldemort or die, as depressing of a thought as that is

- - - - - - - - - -
Detail Seeker - Aug 17, 2004 3:01 pm (#175 of 227)

Quod tempus non sanat, sanat ferrum,... so prepare
Joelle, one little request: For better readability, this Forum´s community requests proper capitalization in the posts. It would be nice, if you at least tried to do that, too. Thank you. Have much fun on the Forum !

- - - - - - - - - -
Some Guy - Aug 19, 2004 2:49 am (#176 of 227)

I don't think Harry will survive. Lord Voldemort failed to kill Harry as a child, and in return, Harry failed to kill Voldemort when his curse rebounded. I have a feeling Harry will have to sacrifice himself in order to kill Voldemort and fulfill the prophecy (for neither can live while the other survives). After all, sacrifice is the ultimate form of bravery.

But then again it seems like JKR is setting Voldemort up for something worse then death, so we shall see !

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Aug 21, 2004 1:26 am (#177 of 227)

I saw JKR's comment that Harry would survive to book 7 ... but surviving TO book 7 is a lot different than surviving THROUGH book 7, isn't it? I don't see this as a confirmation at all that Harry will live. That said, I will be horribly disappointed if JKR kills Harry. I also think that killing off her hero could affect book sales in years and generations to come--although I could be wrong on that and maybe she doesn't care anyway.

I personally hope that JKR DOES let Harry live and leaves him some shred of life to hang onto and build upon when the saga ends. If he has to live as a Muggle, well ... Hermione is one character who could probably handle that. Assuming there are any other wizarding friends left standing after the war, I don't suppose his being a Muggle would bother them, after all they've been through together. Just my 2 knuts ...

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Some Guy - Aug 21, 2004 2:39 am (#178 of 227)

It will be interesting to see. JKR will leave us hanging until the very end. If she gave us a definitive answer she would destroy her own masterpiece. The real threat of Harry's death will make the book a page turner. I hope she does not compromise and make him a muggle. That may be worse then death for Harry.

I REALLY hope Dumbledore lives to the end. I have a bad feeling he won't make it with his chocolate frog statement. To many "mentors" die in various stories. He needs a long vacation at the beach when LV takes a dirt nap =).

- - - - - - - - - -
Loony Loopy Larissa - Aug 21, 2004 7:55 am (#179 of 227)

I'm a little confused: his chocolate frog statement? Did I miss something?

- - - - - - - - - -
Some Guy - Aug 21, 2004 4:49 pm (#180 of 227)

If Dumbledore dies I have a feeling he will communicate with Harry and the members of the OoTP through his chocolate frog cards and various portraits.

In OoTP, former head masters were able to travel to their different portrait's around the world. JKR has said that portraits are a living shadow of the person portrayed. With that said, I believe that we will see Dumbledore continue to spear head the effort to counter LV if he dies (Crosses fingers). I really hope I am wrong.

- - - - - - - - - -
Loony Loopy Larissa - Aug 21, 2004 5:33 pm (#181 of 227)

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mynn - Aug 21, 2004 7:50 pm (#182 of 227)

That said, I will be horribly disappointed if JKR kills Harry. I also think that killing off her hero could affect book sales in years and generations to come-

Before I say what I'm going to say, I would like everyone to know that I for one would like Harry to survive. I love Harry's character and even though I know he is fictional and doesn't exsist, In a lot of ways He is real to me and I love him. That's one of the great things about books and imagination and I believe every single one of us on the forum feels basically the same way or we wouldn't spend our days and hours and hours and hours reading and debating and pondering the books.

That said, I think JKR will kill Harry. One, it would be a fairly original ending. Normally good fights bad and good wins. That's what people like. Most people are really good deep down and we like to see the bad guys get theirs. Not very many stories end the other way because it would be devasting to the grand scheme of things. Having Harry semi-defeat Voldermort 6 times (5 because in POA Harry doesn't really face Voldermort) and then have the 7th book end the other way... OUCH! Powerful. Devestating, or like many people have speculated, perhaps both Harry and Voldermort will die.

Also, as an author (never published but you know, still hoping and still writing) there are some characters that you just get obsessed with. They consume your life and your thinking and the only way to get rid of them is to kill that character. Harry has BEEN JKR for over ten years, with 2 books still to go. Eventually, she may want to move on and as long as Harry lives, nutters like the lot of us, are going to beg for more. Sequels, Prequels. Because the books are so creative and amusing and amazing. I think the only way she'll be able to move on is to kill Harry. End it for good.

Ok. I'll go iron my hands now and find a rock to hide under.

- - - - - - - - - -
Lore..!! - Aug 28, 2004 2:48 pm (#183 of 227)

High School Student
I'm very sorry to say that that's almost for sure what will hapen.. :'(.. Let's be real in case harry won't die we'll be beging and beging for a next book.. and that'll go on 'till harry dyes.. who will accep a happyly-ever-after-ending?? I wouldn't!! I'd just keep hoping that some day, maybe, somehow she'd sorprise us with a new book.. (I wish she could just keep writing for ever and ever and ever........) She won't..! So.. I'll cry the day that harry dyes, that's for sure.. bat what else can we do? just hope that she'll come with a really great ending that full fill our expectations and be happy ever after at the same time.. We'll just have to keep wating..... Question: Any date for the 6th book??

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Aug 28, 2004 4:01 pm (#184 of 227)

Back in business
Lore -> who will accep a happyly-ever-after-ending??

I will. In fact, I would rather see Harry die in the blaze of glory than live and see his adventure getting borring-er by each book. Because if she's done with Harry in her mind, the story will get borring-er.

I would prefer if she try another story with another characters and another setting. She could think of something even better than Harry Potter! I don't want to miss that.

Anyway, a new story doesn't mean that no HP characters are allowed to appear ever again, Ron Weasley could be the boy next door, Harry Potter (if he live, that is) could be a custumer, Hermione Granger could become the new representative of the district, the possibilities are endless!

- - - - - - - - - -
Star Crossed - Aug 28, 2004 5:43 pm (#185 of 227)

I'm reminded of Friends and the spin-off coming on soon, Joey.

- - - - - - - - - -
Lore..!! - Aug 28, 2004 8:29 pm (#186 of 227)

High School Student
Good point Tomoé.. I'd love to get to see another proyect of her too... Hope she has plans for something to make us addicted ance again..

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Aug 29, 2004 5:15 am (#187 of 227)

Harry will live but he will pay a heavy price. Also I think he will hate the idea of the WW turning him into a hero. Harry will fake his death and disappear into anominity using the Fideleus charm to live out his life under another identity, with only Ron and Hermione knowing his secret

- - - - - - - - - -
DJ Evans - Aug 29, 2004 8:32 am (#188 of 227)

Genealogy....Where you confuse the dead & irritate the living!
I would prefer if she try another story with another characters and another setting. She could think of something even better than Harry Potter! I don't want to miss that.: Tomoe`

Though I hate the thought the of seeing our beloved friend, Harry, not surviving the series, I too can see where Jo just might have that in store for him.

And as you stated above, Tomoe`, I'm right behind you in that sentiment. I would love to see other writings from her & what other "worlds" she would creature for us to venture through!!!

Later, Deb

- - - - - - - - - -
librarian314 - Aug 30, 2004 6:27 pm (#189 of 227)

Hey all!

I don’t have any added proof that Harry will live after the series but I believe those that have found the hints in canon. Plus I would be really disappointed if he died. The boy's had a hard life; he needs to have some wild and crazy college days to get to be a goof-off as a reward for surviving all the awful things that have happened to him and for saving the wizard world.

What I hope will happen is that Ms. Rowling will pull an Anne McCaffrey* on us and even though she’s said she won’t write any more Potterverse books, she’ll realize that there are stories she hasn’t explored and will be drawn back. We might not get full focus on Harry but an occasional mention would be nice. We’re watching all the characters grow up/age. I care about them all, not just Harry and the kids, but all of the major characters mentioned; I want to know what’s going on in their lives. Besides I like the Potterverse as much as I like Pern!

If time has not fogged my poor little brain, about the time All the Weyrs of Pern was published, Anne McCaffrey said that there would be no more Pern books set after that one. (She might write ones that took place earlier in the time line, but not later.) This was from a friend who was a fan and in library school so I considered it true. Over the years, we’ve gotten a few more, set later in the time line. The main characters are children of main characters in earlier books. The characters from the earlier books still play good parts (about the size of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, in most of the HP series) but aren’t the main focus.

I’m really hoping that a couple of years after HP7 is published JKR realizes that there are, in fact more stories that need to be written and we get the story of Dumbledore and Grindlewald, Remus Lupin’s missing years between the end of the first war and his tenure at Hogwart’s, the story of the founding of Hogwarts, the schism between the wizard world and muggles, etc. She has mentioned so much in these books that she wouldn't have to pull a Star Wars (and write about the Marauder's days at Hogwarts), to keep writing about the world.

Y'all take care!

*michelle the librarian**

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Llama - Aug 30, 2004 11:39 pm (#190 of 227)

I dont believe JKR will run the story into the ground. A back ground book is a possiblity Smile.

Hogwarts, A history ... by JK Rowling (14,000 pages)!

- - - - - - - - - -
Loony Loopy Larissa - Aug 31, 2004 1:17 pm (#191 of 227)

Exactly!!!

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 1, 2004 10:04 am (#192 of 227)

Back in business
I'm re-reading the Edinburgh book festival interview, I saw an awnser in a brand new light :

Who was the first character that you invented?

Harry. He really is the whole story. The whole plot is contained in Harry Potter; his past, present and future—that is the story.

his past, present and future—that is— the story.

He really is the whole story.

The whole plot is contained in Harry Potter

Count me in the Harry will die crowd.

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 1, 2004 10:25 am (#193 of 227)

Yes, me too. You have just further more convinced me Tomoé

- - - - - - - - - -
Gryffindor Girls - Sep 1, 2004 11:04 am (#194 of 227)

boarding at high school
I take it everyone read the article. Isn't it great? Harry, my absolute favorite character is to survive! To Sherbie Lemon: Ron most certainly not die according to an anagram on mugglenet.com I don't know if I can post the theory here or is there another forum where I can talk about it? It would just break my heart seeing Harry's untimely demise but he will die in early adulthood which is so unsettling.

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 1, 2004 11:21 am (#195 of 227)

WHAT!!! What artical...you must tell me

Is frantically searching the internet for source, but not before pulling hair out in desperate measure to quench thirst for information.*

- - - - - - - - - -
The One - Sep 1, 2004 11:24 am (#196 of 227)

Open minded sceptic
Harry. He really is the whole story. The whole plot is contained in Harry Potter; his past, present and future—that is the story.

I see what you mean, but when I read that I took it to mean that Harry actually has got a future, i. e. that he will not die in the final showdown..

I still think so, but I am a bit worried...

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 1, 2004 11:25 am (#197 of 227)

Back in business
Everyone read which article? The Edinburgh Book Festival interview?

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 1, 2004 11:26 am (#198 of 227)

Was it this artical you were referring to Gryffindor Girls?...

"Who was the first character that you invented?

Harry. He really is the whole story. The whole plot is contained in Harry Potter; his past, present and future—that is the story."

- - - - - - - - - -
Magical Max - Sep 2, 2004 4:33 am (#199 of 227)

I'm betting Harry will live ! Fred and George gave me good odds.

- - - - - - - - - -
Moony Lupin - Sep 2, 2004 5:23 pm (#200 of 227)

I read the transcript and took it to mean that Harry has a future, just like The One did. But then, I am an eternal optimist and won't even think about Harry dying until I see it in black and white!!
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

It appears that Harry will live after the series! Empty It appears that Harry will live after the series (Post 221 to 227)

Post  Elanor Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:43 am

Phoenix song - Sep 2, 2004 9:17 pm (#201 of 227)
Dumbledore did not speak for a moment; he looked as though he was trying to make up his mind about something. At last he said, "I am sure. I trust Severus Snape completely." (HbP, p. 549)
Even if I see Harry's death in huge black and white text I'm still going to be in denial about it. Maybe together he and Sirius could find their way back through the veil!

Seriously, though, I have read that the last chapter of book 7 is already written. The last word is suppose to be "scar". I can't see his scar being discussed if he were dead. There would have to have some kind of wrap up discussion between the survivors if Harry were to die. I'd seriously doubt that their last word about him would be about his scar. It'd probably be the word always, as in "They would remember him always."

- - - - - - - - - -
scully jones - Sep 2, 2004 9:19 pm (#202 of 227)

yeah right
I doubt Harry will die. JK wouldn't do that simply because I'm sure she secretly wants to leave the ending open, just in case she does write more Potter books later in life.

- - - - - - - - - -
True Love - Sep 3, 2004 4:11 am (#203 of 227)

Scully - I agree. I cannot see JKR killing off Harry. After all, he is her favourite character. If she was devastated for killing Sirius can you imagine her grief for killing Harry? I am sure Harry is as real to her as he is to us and to destroy him would be like destroying one of her children.

- - - - - - - - - -
narisa - Sep 3, 2004 6:39 am (#204 of 227)

Since when does JK show mercy, I don't mean she haven't mercy. But if Harry have to die, he will die. I would say if she can kill Sirius just like that, she can kill anyone. But of cause I don't want to see him die.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 3, 2004 7:24 am (#205 of 227)

Back in business
JKR, about Sirius death -> I said, "I've just killed the person. And he said, "Well, don't do it then." I thought, a doctor you know....and I said "Well it just doesn't work like that. You are writing children's books, you need to be a ruthless killer."

She could kill Harry or she could leave him alive. The problem is we don't have any other published work from her and therefore cannot figure her ending habits. But she sounds to me to be ready to kill any of them as long as it serve the story, I don't think she'll write stuff like Harry will vanquish Voldemort, but then be killed by a mad driver as he leave King Cross station or something like that, but I think she want to surprise us and to make Harry win in an unexpected way is what I bet she'll do.

- - - - - - - - - -
Chris. - Sep 3, 2004 7:26 am (#206 of 227)

HBP: 16th July 2005: the most anticipated day in history
She wrote a book called "Rabbit" when she was young. Has she revealed if the rabbit died at the end?

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 3, 2004 7:27 am (#207 of 227)

Back in business
LOL! No, she didn't. ^_^

I was thinking of something more recent though.

- - - - - - - - - -
Mynn - Sep 3, 2004 12:36 pm (#208 of 227)

Has anybody ever had the privelege of reading Rabbit? Who was the bad guy in that story? Maybe if it came down to and Rabbit had to defend himself... who knows?

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 3, 2004 3:52 pm (#209 of 227)

Back in business
Hum, there was also a bee named Bee, maybe it's the bad guy?

- - - - - - - - - -
fortuna major - Sep 3, 2004 6:20 pm (#210 of 227)

If that is the case then Dumbledore must be a Death Eater Wink

- - - - - - - - - -
hellocello3200 - Sep 5, 2004 3:55 pm (#211 of 227)

I am kinda glad that she leaves the possibilty that he might die out there. It makes the reader more tense because anyone might die at any time. Well I guess we know Harry survives to the end of the seventh book unless the last book is his wake, funeral, burial and reception afterwards.

- - - - - - - - - -
Courtney22 - Sep 9, 2004 4:37 pm (#212 of 227)

I Don't think she'll kill off Harry because she has already stated she feels bad for all she has put him through. Why put a character through all that with out giving them a little bit of happily ever after? Just a thought...

- - - - - - - - - -
caro - Sep 9, 2004 10:20 pm (#213 of 227)

I think that Harry is not going to die because of the answer to a question in a chat.

Someone asked J.K. Rowling if Harry was becoming a better wizard, and she said that he's really progressing, which is lucky because she knows what's in store for him. Well, I was thinking, if Harry was to die it woulnd't matter if he had magical powers or not because he would still die.BUT if he survives then his magical powers would be of importance. I hope I didn't confuse anyone with my idea.

- - - - - - - - - -
flyingwill - Sep 13, 2004 9:23 am (#214 of 227)

The prophecy doesn't say whether he will survive or not, there are 3 possible ends: -Harry kills Voldemort -Voldemort kills harry -they both die But I think that the first possibility is the one, why would she make Voldemort survive, he is the bad guy he must die at the end. I can't believe that the tow of them will die, why would she make harry die? I really think that he is going to survive, surely injured but alive. I wonder if one of his friend is not going to die, I think Ron is going to dye, he always wants to do great things to impress his parents but his brothers have already done every thing: become a prefect....... and maybe he will try to do something that his brothers didn't do, but this will be very dangerous. of course this is my point of view

- - - - - - - - - -
Mynn - Sep 13, 2004 9:47 am (#215 of 227)

Someone asked J.K. Rowling if Harry was becoming a better wizard, and she said that he's really progressing, which is lucky because she knows what's in store for him.

For the next two books, she knows what's in store for him. I also believe somebody asked JK what Harry would do once he graduated Hogwarts and she said something along the lines of... "IF he Graduates Hogwarts." I don't have the exact quote, and I could be wrong but I believe that conversation took place too. I just don't think JK is going to give to much info. She wants to let us stew a bit.

I personally think Harry is going to die. I've said it before, if JK doesn't finish him (Harry) off, we (crazy Harry Potter fans) are going to drive her nuts begging for a sequel or something. If she doesn't finish him off she'll never get rid of us. She'll probably never get rid of us anyway. We'll ask for a prequel or that 1700 page Hogwarts, a History people have been hinting about.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 13, 2004 4:00 pm (#216 of 227)

Back in business
The prophecy was strangely worded indeed, why say "either must die at the hand of the other" instead of "either must kill the other"? It sounds like the one who will die will be killed by a unwilled consequence of something the other did. But that's for another thread.

Mynn, maybe you were thinking of one of those :

Anyway, it’s very exciting. We just love Harry Potter. We’re curious ---- well first of all we can’t wait for Books 4, 5, 6 and 7. But after that, we’re curious as to whether Harry is going to have a life after Hogwarts, or if maybe, Harry might be a Hogwarts teacher.
Well, because all your kids said ‘hello’ so nicely in the background there, I am going to give you information I haven’t given anyone else and I will tell you that one of the characters, one of Harry’s classmates, though it’s not Harry himself, does end up a teacher at Hogwarts. But, it is not, maybe the one you think, hint, hint, hint. Yeah, one of them does end up staying at Hogwarts, but ---- (The Connection 12 October 1999)

[Notice she dodged the question whether Harry is going to have a life after Hogwarts]

NS: Have you ever considered writing a book about Harry a few years later, after he's left Hogwarts?
JKR: I get asked the question if I'm ever going to write a bok about H when he's grown up quite a lot and I always say that you have to wait and see whether he survives to be a grown up (Royal Albert Hall Appearance, June 26 2003)

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 13, 2004 4:08 pm (#217 of 227)

Ron...A teacher...Oh no. $30 it's Divination

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 13, 2004 4:13 pm (#218 of 227)

Back in business
the interview continue as :

Do the kids want to guess at it, Kathleen?
Do you guys have a guess as to who it is? (Kids shouting in background) Ron
They say Ron.
No, it’s not Ron. I can’t see Ron as a teacher. No way.

So, not Ron, and likely not Hermione nor Harry. ^_~

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 13, 2004 4:17 pm (#219 of 227)

Hmmm Ginny? Fred or George? Seamus? Dean?

OMG, the list is endless. Please don't let it me Malfoy.

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 13, 2004 4:17 pm (#220 of 227)

No...I take it all back. I bet Neville becomes a Herbology teacher.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Sep 13, 2004 4:19 pm (#221 of 227)

Back in business
Neville in Herbology is the most common guess, but I stick to Neville, DADA teacher. ^_^

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 13, 2004 4:22 pm (#222 of 227)

Actually, I think he would be very good at that. He could tell stories of how he beat Bellatrix LeStrange.

- - - - - - - - - -
tracie1976 - Sep 13, 2004 5:53 pm (#223 of 227)

Will Ron be a teacher if he's a ghost? I don't think Hogwarts needs another ghost teaching classes.

- - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Sep 13, 2004 11:55 pm (#224 of 227)

Guys, there's a thread on this very subject: Steve Newton "The teacher from Harry's gang" 9/10/04 12:55pm

Take a swing by there & see what you can come up with!

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - -
flyingwill - Sep 15, 2004 11:10 am (#225 of 227)

Richard don't you think that Neville is going to improve and I could easily imagine Neville as an Auror just like his parents were. I hope he would manage getting this job, his grandmother would be so impressed and she only could say that Neville is as powerful as his parents.

- - - - - - - - - -
Richard !!!Reid - Sep 16, 2004 11:42 am (#226 of 227)

Yes...I think Neville will become a very powerful wizard, not just necessarally an Auror. I think he will follow in Dumbledore's footsteps, and take the academic route.

- - - - - - - - - -
Kip Carter - Oct 16, 2004 11:10 pm (#227 of 227)

co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!
I have closed this thread out and have moved it to the Archived area. The sheer number of posts may offer something worthwhile to save. I hope that one of our editors will have the time to review this thread and see if it warrants be condensed and possibly saved. If not, it would have been automatically deleted anyway.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

It appears that Harry will live after the series! Empty Re: It appears that Harry will live after the series!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down