HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dumbledore's Army

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dumbledore's Army - Page 2 Empty Posts 1201 to 1227

Post  Mona Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Pinky Prime - Mar 12, 2006 7:43 pm (#1201 of 1227)

Like the Order of the Phoenix I believe some form of the DA will always be around after the final showdown. Hermione may want to introduce SPEW to them. I mean S.P.E.W. lol

Solitaire - Mar 15, 2006 12:09 am (#1202 of 1227)

Pinky, it does seem likely--after the breach of Hogwarts security--that some form of the DA may resurface again next year. Harry will probably not be the one leading it, as his main job will be Horcrux hunting ... which could mean that neither Ron nor Hermione will be as involved, either. But Neville, Luna, Ginny--as well as the kids who came to Harry's aide on the train at the end of OotP--could certainly provide a good core team to recruit new members and carry on with things.

I believe a lot of the kids at Hogwarts--even some of the solid DA members--may have believed that the really hardcore fighting would not really touch them, because they were not in the tight inner core surrounding Harry. Also, they were focusing more on Voldemort, and I don't think most of them believed they would be of interest to him. Everything has changed, however, since the end of OotP.

Susan Bones's aunt and Hannah Abbott's mother have been murdered in this latest round of violence, and this may serve to enforce the idea that no one is immune, whatever their relationship to Harry. Even more frightening to many, I think, is the fact that Dumbledore is no longer around to step into the breach and save the day. I believe it is very likely that all of these events may bring about the resurrection of the DA in a much more serious and meaningful way, now that all of the kids have seen how vulnerable they are.

Solitaire

cindysuewho45 - Mar 19, 2006 10:33 pm (#1203 of 1227)

Hi all, In one of JKR's interviews back in 2005 she talked about the 4 house's. "If only they could achieve perfect unity, you would have an absolute unstoppable force," etc. and it was a DD like hope that they will achieve union, achieve harmony " I have thought about this" Then talking about Slytherin They're not all bad. DE's kids are just a small fraction of the total Slytherin's JKR I want them to correspond roughly to the four elements, Gryffindor-fire, Ravenclaw-air, Hufflepuff-earth, Slytherin-water/ This idea of harmony and balance, that you had four necessary components and by integrating them you would make a very strong place. But remain fragmented as we know." For now anyway, etc.. I was thinking that maybe the DA could help bring the house's together. To help fight LV's DE's and in doing so, after it was all over end up with the harmony that JKR says DD wanted.

cindysuewho45 - Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am (#1204 of 1227)

Hi all, So for the DA to be part of what is going on, Hogwarts must be open. Do you feel that more kids will join the DA, because of all that has happened? Do you think that it will be out in the open now?

The One - Apr 12, 2006 8:48 am (#1205 of 1227)

The DA pretty much died in HBP.- The only surviving part of it was those so lonely that the hoped for it to reform because they had no one else.

Sad, but that is how it should be. The DA was a study group, formed because the official teaching in DADA was worthless. Umbridge is gone by now.

Harry will be on his own quest now, supported by his closest friend, Ron and Hermione. In the end it is his personal confrontation with Voldemort that is important, not a big battle between armies. Should any paramilitary support be needed, the remains of the Order is a more likely source.

I cannot imaginm JKR fielding an army of children soldiers as part of her story.

Mrs Brisbee - Apr 12, 2006 11:31 am (#1206 of 1227)
Edited Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm

I'm not sure what form the DA will take in the future. It was more of a whimper than a bang in HBP, but Harry did attempt to use it at the end when he needed help. The DA had been neglected all year, though, so only Luna and Neville heeded the call.

The members of the DA were more than just a study group. Many joined specifically because they felt a need to learn to fight Voldemort. Others , of course, were probably more concerned about their OWL grade, but characters like Cho and Ernie McMillan clearly stated they were in it for bigger reasons. I think some of the DA members will be back in supporting roles.

I cannot imaginm JKR fielding an army of children soldiers as part of her story.

Actually, since witches and wizards come of age at 17 in Rowling's world, most of the DA members are already considered adults, or will become adults early in Book 7 (Ginny and the Creavy brothers excepted. And I don't know when Luna's birthday is).

Choices - Apr 12, 2006 11:53 am (#1207 of 1227)

Chronicles of Narnia has four children fronting an army of various creatures to fight the White Witch, so I don't think that using children to fight evil is beyond JKR.

Solitaire - Apr 12, 2006 12:29 pm (#1208 of 1227)

I do believe there is a place for the DA. I think some of the more able kids--those who defended Harry on the train the previous year--could have been a help during the battle in HBP. Alas, I am not really sure any but the Trio, Ginny, Luna, and Neville have the stomach for real battle.

It seems to me that with murders over the previous summer--and with all of the murky goings-on at Hogwarts--Ernie, Susan, Hannah, and some of the other kids might have started to carry their coins around ... but they didn't. Only Luna and Neville bothered checking them. Perhaps this will change, now that Hogwarts security has been breached and Dumbledore has died. Of course, this assumes that Hogwarts will stay open.

Solitaire

Nathan Zimmermann - Apr 12, 2006 4:39 pm (#1209 of 1227)
Edited Apr 12, 2006 5:50 pm

Of the original twenty-nine members of the D.A., fifteen remain at the end of HBP consisting of three Hufflepuffs, three Ravenclaws, and nine Gryffindors.

1. Susan Bones
2. Terry Boot
3. Colin Creevey
4. Dennis Creevey
5. Justin Finch-Fletchley
6. Seamus Finnigan
7. Anthony Goldstein
8. Hermione Granger
9. Neville Longbottom
10. Luna Lovegood
11. Ernie Macmillian
12. Harry Potter
13. Dean Thomas
14. Ginny Weasley
15. Ron Weasley

The question is how many more depart Hogwarts before the conclusion of the series?

The One - Apr 13, 2006 12:42 am (#1210 of 1227)

We do not know how much of the 7th book will tke part at Hogwarts.

If the DA has a role to play, it may just as well be by Harry being able to recruit some of the members that left for some task. Will we meet Cho again? Marietta? Will the git Smith turn out to be usefull after all?

frogface - Apr 13, 2006 8:41 am (#1211 of 1227)

There is still an oppourtunity for the DA to reform even if Hogwarts doesn't reopen. What if, for instance the children feel that now more than ever they need to learn defense because they can no longer learn it at school? Some might just turn to Harry. Mind you I expect he's going to be very busy.

MickeyCee3948 - Apr 16, 2006 8:21 am (#1212 of 1227)

I agree with you The One. I think Hogwarts will reopen but whether Harry will spend much time there is subject to much speculation. There doesn't seem he wiii have time for classes with his hunting for the Horcrux's. Although I still think the big battle where Voldmort is defeated will occur at Hogwarts. The school has played too big a part in the series and Dumbledore's Army or at least the BIG six will be there in the end.

Mickey

Neville Longbottom - Apr 16, 2006 2:46 pm (#1213 of 1227)
Edited Apr 16, 2006 3:46 pm

I am sure the DA will somehow reform again. Otherwise, what would be the reason for JKR to include the group in the first place? I'm a big fan of the theory that the final battle will be at Hogwarts, which would be the excellent opportunity for the students to show what they have learned.

By the way, I thought Harry was a moron to expect that the DA members would suddenly turn up at the end of HBP even though they had no reason to check the galleons anymore, since the group was ignored for more than a year, and he did not to deserve at all that Neville and Luna turned up to help (and didn't even get any plot device .... I mean Felix Felicis).

About the list: I suppose Seamus is gone as well. He could stay for Dumbledore's funeral, but it doesn't seem that his mother will send him back.

frogface - Apr 18, 2006 8:50 am (#1214 of 1227)

I don't think he expected them all to help, I think he just knew he had to act fast and they were the best people who could help. He hoped they might help rather than expected in my opinion.

cindysuewho45 - Apr 21, 2006 8:42 pm (#1215 of 1227)

Hi all, yes, I too like the final battle at Hogwarts. Not only because both Harry and LV felt like it was home, and this would be a good place for it. I have read that some feel the graveyard where DD is may be the place that Harry and LV face each other for the last time. But I feel that there will be problems at school, Harry will end up needing to look for horcruxes there and LV could send his DE's there to try and take it over. This is where the DA would come into it. The teachers, the Order and the DA would need to band together to hold on to the school. You would end up with all of the houses working together as one. The DA could help set this up.

virginiaelizabeth - Apr 21, 2006 9:11 pm (#1216 of 1227)

I too like the final battle at Hogwarts. Not only because both Harry and LV felt like it was home, and this would be a good place for it. I have read that some feel the graveyard where DD is may be the place that Harry and LV face each other for the last time.-cindysuewho45

Well DD is buried at Hogwarts, under the tree by the lake.

I definately think the final battle will take place at Hogwarts. Its only fitting, because Hogwarts is a very important place for both LV and Harry. If it is at Hogwarts, then the DA is likely to play a big role, because they were created to fight against Voldemort, and I feel they will do just that. I also think Godric's Hollow could be a likely place for the final battle. Afterall, Harry and Voldemort's story started there, and it would be anice place to have it end.

cindysuewho45 - Apr 26, 2006 9:13 am (#1217 of 1227)
Edited Apr 26, 2006 10:25 am

It may just be that, some of the kids that were in DA will join the Order when they turn 17. And the ones that are not of adult age yet will just help out when they can????????????? The DA would be a big help inside Hogwarts. I would like to see them in action again!

Muggle Doctor - May 11, 2006 3:49 am (#1218 of 1227)

Looking back, I think Harry had the right idea about calling out the DA. The problem may lie with Hermione - did she try hard enough to do it, or did she simply assume that everyone would still be carrying their coins? Seems more like the latter. Seems a lot more like the latter, actually; why didn't she just go and talk to people?

Fine, Hermione rubs the coins; Neville and Luna turn up. Unless time was really that short (and I don't think it was; Harry's adventure with Dumbledore seemed to take quite a while), don't you think Hermione could have done something else to bring reinforcements?

In one respect, the DA members were better positioned exactly where they were (aside from there not being enough Felix to go round). Hypothesis, the Death Eaters win, and Fenrir Greyback is loose in the castle. Every dorm needs skilled fighters to defend it, and by calling them all out you're taking the chance that someone will slip past them to wreak havoc on the inexperienced and the defenceless. Even if it's just as simple as having ONE person in the dorm who keeps their head and acts fast under pressure, like the DA did on the train, that's better than a whole lot of twelve to seventeen year olds wondering (1) what the hell to do, (2) what spell should they cast... the answers are: (1) Anything fast, and (2) Stupefy or Petrificus Totalis (not sure whether werewolf genes protect against stupefaction the way Hagrid's do, but it's certainly quicker to say, unless you're a NEWT student and you can think it).

Fortunately the ones who DID show up for the fight were the ones who'd been there the last time, in the Ministry, and who were no longer fazed at the thought of fighting adult wizards. Harry didn't get much help, but he got the absolute best of what there was.

geauxtigers - May 11, 2006 2:13 pm (#1219 of 1227)

why didn't she just go and talk to people?

If I recall correctly when the plan originated, they didn't want members of other houses crossing the Great Hall right under Umbridge's nose to go talk to HRH. They did it originally so that wouldn't happen, you've got to remeber that Umbridge was trying her best to find any reason she could to expel Harry. As for the latter part about what happen in book 6 I agree, but you've also got to remember that DA meetings weren't really nessecary in HBP because Umbridge was gone, so since they werent meeting, I can see why the only ones that showed up were the ones as I think Harry said, misssed the DA the most.

Solitaire - May 12, 2006 6:13 am (#1220 of 1227)

Even if the other DA members were not on the scene and fighting the DEs, they would have been a lot better prepared to defend their houses--if necessary--had they known something was afoot. I also hope Harry takes a look at that mirror again, even if it iis broken. It would be great if DA members (or even the Trio) had some means of direct communication (other than the coin) among themselves when they are scattered throughout the castle (or elsewhere)--in case they need to find each other in a hurry.

Solitaire

Muggle Doctor - Jul 21, 2007 4:26 pm (#1221 of 1227)

On the other hand (hope this is not too much of a spoiler, kill it if it is) - just wait till you see what the DA works up to in Book Seven.

painting sheila - Jul 22, 2007 3:57 pm (#1222 of 1227)

Go D.A.! Go D.A.! Go!!

Viola Intonada - Jul 30, 2007 10:23 am (#1223 of 1227)

I would love to see some fanfict about the DA during book 7.

Steve Newton - Jul 30, 2007 12:56 pm (#1224 of 1227)

I'd rather that JKR writes that story. I think that it would be quite a good book.

Solitaire - Jul 30, 2007 5:53 pm (#1225 of 1227)

Yes, I would love a fleshed-out book about the DA's activities during book 7 ... written by JK herself! Perhaps we need to suggest that as a possible story line.

Solitaire

Viola Intonada - Jul 31, 2007 4:49 pm (#1226 of 1227)

Of course I would prefer JKR to write it, but I didn't think she was going to write anything else HP except maybe an Encyclopedia.

Solitaire - Jul 31, 2007 5:35 pm (#1227 of 1227)

Actually, I really hope she writes Hogwarts: A History at some point in the not-too-distant future. As often as Hermione has quoted or referred to it, I think she really has to do it! It should have a battered-looking cover, too ... like it's old.

Solitaire

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2