HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson

Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am

This is an archive of the below titled thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum (HPLF) as it existed on World Crossing (WX) until WX ceased operation on 15 April 2011. ~ John

(Note Well:
  • Text or table formatting, text color, embedded images, and links were not saved by the text based archive process.
  • Written URLs are converted to active links by the ForuMotion software, and
  • Character based emoticons may be recognized and replaced with graphic emoticons automatically by the ForuMotion software. )

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson

Kip Carter - Jul 23, 2005 11:46 am
Edited Sep 15, 2006 4:03 pm

[color=#960000]haymoni, along with others, suggested this thread. Normally I start a new thread during the two-week spoiler period only if I am sent an email; however I made an exception here. Please give your opinion and ideas, but be fair to others and their opinions, if they differ from yours.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Read Below Concerning Above Links:

The Leaky Cauldron (TLC) has changed their setup so that you may get their opening page when you click on one of the links above. If you do, here is what I suggest:
1. In the column to your left on the main page, click on The JKR Interview. This should take you to the first of the three parts.
2. You should now be able to select the part that you would like to read at the top of each interview page.
3. Explanation: The three links above are the correct URLs for each of the three parts; however TLC has set their system to route every request through their main page.

I hope that helps.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 1 to 10 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 am

mooncalf - Jul 23, 2005 11:16 am (#1 of 187)

OOh - first post. I wish I had something intelligent to say.

I loved the little things; Ron's eyes are blue and his patronus is a little dog like a Jack Russell Terrier.

I also enjoyed the casual squashing of theories - no more Snape is a Vampire or Mrs. Longbottom's gum wrappers.

But she didn't squash our new theories: Snape killed Dumbledore on DD's orders or RAB is Regulus Black.

So much to think about!

Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 23, 2005 11:19 am (#2 of 187)
Edited Jul 23, 2005 12:21 pm

J.K. Rowling, also did not squash some of the older theories. For example, she did not kill the theoiry that asserts that Snape was at Godric's Hollow the night Harry's parents were killed.

rassannassar - Jul 23, 2005 11:24 am (#3 of 187)
Edited Jul 23, 2005 12:24 pm

You could also argue that she didn't squash our new theories because that could possibly give away too much information about book 7. Process of elimination right? If she eliminated enough of our theories then we could have probably figured out which ones were right. And we all know perfectly well that she doesn't want to give away too much about book 7. Look at how she was with HBP prior to its release. No; for now, at least, it's best for her (and her hopes for a leak and spoiler-free book 7), and for our imaginations, if she doesn't make any comments at all.

Weeny Owl - Jul 23, 2005 11:47 am (#4 of 187)

Melissa and Emerson did a great job, but they asked questions that had already been answered, and there were tons of questions I wish they had just shot off quickly.

What house are various characters in... Tonks, Kingsley, Umbridge, etc.

More about what patronus and boggart various characters would have.

Why no mention at all of S.P.E.W.

How long does the ban on discussing the DA last? Could people years from now end up with "SNEAK" on their faces? Why is Marietta's face still not healed?

They did cover quite a bit in the short time they had, though. I hope they stay in touch with JKR and convince her to answer more questions for us.

Kazius - Jul 23, 2005 12:06 pm (#5 of 187)

I tend to agree Weeny, but I'm giving Melissa and Emerson the doubt, because frankly, they hadn't had a chance to read en-bloc our conspiracy theories, and I'm sure they were downright exhausted (if you read their report, it was JKR Reading - Read book - Nap - Meet JKR, so going on 1-2 hours of sleep and meeting JKR? I'm sure I would have babbled like an idiot.

They could've asked general questions about what'll happen at Hogwarts, will Harry return, they could've asked about the Giant Squid theory, and of course everything you said. Not to mention, that I believe they could have pryed further into RAB, ask JKR about things she thinks we should reread, ask her about what the Horcruxes are, suggest the Locket in #12GP theory, other stuff.

Oh well, more fun for us!

Weeny Owl - Jul 23, 2005 1:25 pm (#6 of 187)
Edited Jul 23, 2005 2:31 pm

I'm sorry if it sounded that I was being critical of Melissa and Emerson... I wasn't! I think they were fantastic. There's just so much I would have loved them to ask.

I had forgotten about the Giant Squid! That would have been a great question.

Verity Weasley - Jul 23, 2005 6:05 pm (#7 of 187)
Edited Jul 23, 2005 7:13 pm

As you say Kazius, I'm sure Melissa and Emerson were exhausted and probably still in shock. I don't think I started to get my thoughts and feelings in order until I had begun to process the book and chat to everyone here about it. I would have liked them to ask straight out what Regulus's middle name was, then if JKR had said it was Bill or something we would know we were on the wrong track. Of course, being JKR she probably would have just said, "Oh I can't tell you that", or "what do you think it is?", thereby keeping us all guessing some more.

I thought it was interesting that JKR hinted that there is more to Snape's backstory and his family for us to find out. What if Snape and Lily were cousins? Lily's mother's maiden name might have been Snape and she might have had a brother called Tobias. Not sure how this would add to the plot, but I kept wondering about all the references to Lily being so good at potions. There has to be a connection somewhere.

Betelgeuse Black - Jul 23, 2005 6:17 pm (#8 of 187)

I for one really liked the interview they did. JKR squashed some theories and almost jumped up and down pointing at the areas we should talk about.

One I want to talk about is what was Voldemort before he regained his body in GOF? I'm sure there is a thread that mentions this but I'm not sure it has been thoroughly talked through. I'll have to search.

I also liked her talking about Luna's commentary on the quidditch match. It's always neat to hear how someone overcomes the difficult areas in their work.

I'm going to have to reread the interview and take notes... Betelgeuse

Ponine - Jul 23, 2005 7:19 pm (#9 of 187)

ES: Was Dumbledore planning to die?

JKR: [Pause.] Do you think that's going to be the big theory?

MA & ES: Yes. It’ll be a big theory.

JKR: [Pause.] Well, I don't want to shoot that one down. [A little laughter.] I have to give people hope.

MA: It goes back to the question of whether Snape is a double-double-double-triple-

JKR: [Laughs] Double-double-quadruple-to-the-power-of - yeah.

MA: …whether this had been planned, and since Dumbledore had this knowledge of Draco the whole year, had they had a discussion that said, "Should this happen, you have to act as if it is entirely your intention to just walk forward and kill me, because if you don't, Draco will die, the Unbreakable Vow, you'll die," and so on —

JKR: No, I see that, and yeah, I follow your line there. I can't — I mean, obviously, there are lines of speculation I don't want to shut down. Generally speaking, I shut down those lines of speculation that are plain unprofitable. Even with the shippers. God bless them, but they had a lot of fun with it. It's when people get really off the wall — it's when people devote hours of their time to proving that Snape is a vampire that I feel it's time to step in, because there's really nothing in the canon that supports that.

When I read this quote, I interpreted her answer to mean that she was surprised to see that the big theory pertained to Dumbledore meaning to die, rather than the question if he died... Did anyone have the same gut reaction??

Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 23, 2005 7:52 pm (#10 of 187)

Ponine, I agree it makes wonder whether Dumbledore is in fact dead?

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 11 to 20 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 am

Kazius - Jul 23, 2005 8:10 pm (#11 of 187)

Whenever I wonder what JKR is meaning I take a deep breath and a shot of expresso.

Veritaserum - Jul 23, 2005 10:06 pm (#12 of 187)

About the DIGS theory: what if they had asked and JKR said no? Isn't it more fun thinking we could be right than knowing for sure we are wrong? Ignorance is bliss in this situation I think.

Kevin Corbett - Jul 24, 2005 1:38 am (#13 of 187)

There's a lot they could have asked that they didn't (like, for instance, about the timeline), but they did ask some good questions---finding out about Grindelwald was nice, among other things. They did seems to spend a lot of time harping on "'ships" (I must confess, I hate that word almost as much as I hate the word "blog"---which is a lot), which made me kind of want to kick them a bit. But the interview was a good one, and they deserved it, even though I imagine our Steve, say, could have drummed up maybe a few more, let's say, "meaty" questions. Not that Emerson and Melissa's was soup and salad, though---indeed, it was quite beefy at times...but I just wonder how much time they all spent laughing their heads off ("JK maniacly").

Potterhead - Jul 24, 2005 6:34 am (#14 of 187)

I also thought it was interesting that JK basically told us we should be discussing DD's "family." Not just "brother," but "family."

So, who's in? What does she mean by that? Who are DD's family?

Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 24, 2005 6:44 am (#15 of 187)

J.K, Rowling's statement about Dumbledore raises three questions in my mind.

First, did Dumbledore lose a wife, child or sibling in the first war with Voldemort? Second, is Arabella Figg related in some way to Dumbledore? Third, what is the true nature of the relationship between Aberforth and Albus?

Boris the Bewildered - Jul 24, 2005 7:29 am (#16 of 187)

I love her last line about Snape being more culpable than Voldemort - having been loved by someone (mommie probably). Especially because it tends to cancel the 'saint Snape" theories.

Toad - Jul 24, 2005 7:32 am (#17 of 187)

I also wish Steve had got to interview JKR, there are so many little things I'm sure he would have asked that I'd like to know. It wouldn't spoil the future plot so much as explain what we know so far, and I think the Lexicon is proof that there other people like me who like to know these things. Having said that we did get a lot of clarification on things like the number of students at hogwarts etc, I just felt that the lexicon should have been represented.

There's no point asking something like whose side is Snape on, or whatever because she'd never answer that and I don't want her to.

I'm glad they asked about Grindlewald, it was easy to let your imagination run away with him and, it would seem, that some of my thoughts weren't such wild ideas after all. She seemed to hint that it would become relevant to the plot as well, don't you think?

freshwater - Jul 24, 2005 10:36 am (#18 of 187)

DD's family....I've always thought that someone of his character and personality must have been married at some point, and perhaps lost his wife during the war with Grindlewald--this is ALL speculation of course. Also, it always seemed sad to me that DD never had any children of his own....making his comments to Harry at the end of OotP that much more poignant.

JKR's comment about DD's family made be wonder about his parents....and his ancestry: could he be related to Gryffindor....or Merlin? Hmmmmmm.......

Eunice - Jul 24, 2005 10:47 am (#19 of 187)

I was sorry to read that those in HBP would be the last Quidditch match... so does this mean that in book 7 would definitely be no more Hogwarts? For if there will be Hogwarts, there will be Quidditch. I quite sad ç_ç

About Snape, she didn't "say" almost anything... The fact that in some ways he's more culpable of Voldemort makes me think that he could me more able to redeem: something like "the greater the sin, the greater the repentance"...

And she almost promised a book about Dumbledore! *giggles*

Good Evans - Jul 24, 2005 12:26 pm (#20 of 187)

yes yes yes,, I just know that Snape was at Godrics Hollow on the night Lily and James died - her comments about Lily's choice and James' lack of - is just so interesting. But refusing to comment keeps it wide open .....

Also the mirror, I expected to see it in book 6 but it will be in book 7. She is being so mysterious about that!!!

I agree that there were some questions that were being cried out to be answered, but then again a whole interview of "I cant/ wont commet" might have been a bit dull.

Loved the interview and still have so many theories rattleing around my head.... RAB - Regulus Alphard Black, who swapped the locket to the one at Grimauld place, in an attempt to put things right, absolutely!!!!!

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 21 to 30 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 am

Deb Zawacki - Jul 24, 2005 4:39 pm (#21 of 187)

I know that the forum has an open letter to JKR but has someone invited her to peruse this thread and in comment (anonymously of course) on what theories hold water-- not to intentionally deceive or mislead but make a comment or two--perhaps if some people get some things really right then they could be invited to the "last" book premier..."

haymoni - Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm (#22 of 187)

Thanks for the thread guys!

JKR talks to NO ONE about these books - isn't that dangerous? I'm thinking of the lady with the box of Wonka bars who won't turn them over when "Harold" has been kidnapped.

How do her editors Emma & Arthur keep quiet for so long? I realize "the property" is at stake, but that is an AWFULLY long time to be quiet. I hope she gets them really good Christmas presents!

What WILL happen when Harry & Snape meet again? I hope Snape drinks something dangerous and there aren't any bezoars around. Sorry, Gina!

Dumbledore is detached - her statments remind me of the scientist who invented that computer in "War Games". He had all the answers - he just let Matthew Broderick play tic-tac-toe until he figured it out. One of my favorite movie lines by the way - "I'd ____ on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!"

Why did Lily get the chance to make a decision? Is it because Voldy's mom didn't make the right choice? Was someone waiting in the garden for Lily??????

I don't buy Luna's commentary as the "fiendish glee" story. That's pretty lame.

What more are we going to see from Umbridge? I hope Fenrir gets her.

What is this whole Regulus-Black-with-a-mirror-theory? JKR went very mum on the whole mirror thing, but this is the first time I've seen REGULUS with the mirror - Sirius, yes, but not Regulus. Where HAVE I been???

JKR says we'll learn more about Dumbledore. Why doesn't Harry take a nosedive into the Pensieve and start looking around???

The fact that JKR asks if Dumbledore planning his death will be a big theory makes me think that he DIDN'T plan his death. It sounds like she wanted to say that we were barking up the wrong tree, but didn't want to hurt too many of us - didn't want to call us "dillusional".

When Emerson (I think it was Emerson.) says "that shuts down the Heir of Gryffindor theories", JKR says, "Yeah, well, yeah." I think she was referring James family in relation to Harry but not to Dumbledore being the Heir - I'll have to read that part over again.

JKR says that Ginny does some impressive stuff & that we'll see that again - will she be fighting alongside Harry or with her family?

Snape & Lily - Lupin & Lily - why didn't they press her? She offered to answer one - now we'll have to wait.

I still think that the glimmer is because Harry's blood made Voldy mortal, which fits in with RAB's note.

Wormtail & the life debt - she specifically says that Wormtail's debt is different than Ginny's. He'll be back. I really hope he is "the hand of the other" but I'll settle for him choking Fenrir to death with his silver hand.

Hagrid as Keeper of the Keys - he lets people in and out of Hogwarts - he brings the first years in - Tonks sent her Patronus message to Hagrid's attention so that he could let Harry in. How does he let people out???

Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 24, 2005 6:51 pm (#23 of 187)
Edited Jul 24, 2005 8:02 pm

Haymoni, I took the commentary about Dumbledore not planning his death to mean that there exists the possibility that he is not in fact dead.

I think Harry need to learn how to use it. Plus I think to think that for it to work properly that Person who is not the owner requires the permission of the owner.

As to Regulus having a mirror similar to the ones Sirius and James used to communicate. Even though its not explicitly answered. I would tend to lean toward the possibility that Sirius gave Regulus one in the case that Regulus ever had need to communicate with Sirius because, however much they fought, argued and disagreed I would think that Sirius would have wanted a way to contact him or vice versa in case of imminent harm.

Eunice - Jul 24, 2005 11:18 pm (#24 of 187)

After reading the interview, I had the sensation that JKR was actually approving the RAB = Regulus Black theory.

What she told about Dumbledore being alone made me think that all of Hogwarts teacher seem alone. No one married, no one having a life beside Hogwarts... McGonaggal, Snape (his case is particular, however), Trelawney, etc, etc... Are they alone just as DD was?

Good Evans - Jul 25, 2005 1:07 am (#25 of 187)

I still Firmly believe that DD was married and his spouse was killed many years before, Voldy or Grindlewald? I dont know. he was alone as he could not / would not put another through this - as Harry has decided with regards Ginny. - too risky (but he doesnt know about DD's expereince yet)

Majikthise - Jul 25, 2005 1:56 am (#26 of 187)

First post, folks, so take it with a grain of salt.

No more Quidditch: It doesn't necessarily mean no more Hogwarts, but it does seem to confirm that Rowling intends to abandon the now familiar school year events around which she has written the first six books. This is a remarkably risky thing to do, but it's sensible that the ultimate struggle against Voldemort needs to be more than just another year end field trip from Hogwarts.

On the other hand, maybe it means the Houses take the Sorting Hat's advice from OP11 and unite. Or maybe they adopt Hermione's attitude from OP26 and suspend Quidditch since "it creates all this bad feeling and tension". Or maybe everyone is just too depressed to play.

Snape: Rowling's apparent response that some people will "Cling to some desperate hope" regarding the question "Is Snape evil?" struck me. This seems like another "ANVIL-sized" hint. Yet even though I picked up HBP prepared for Snape to betray Dumbledore, I also see the ambiguities others have pointed out.

And then there's Rowling's "stunned" reaction to the comment about the "redemptive pattern to Snape" in the 1999 The Connection interview in which she refers to book 7.

Forget the expresso; get me some aspirin.

veraco - Jul 25, 2005 2:52 am (#27 of 187)

I like the idea of Dumbledore as the Griffindor heir and descendant.

I mean, why would Dumbledore kept the sword if not? The sword is a family relic and as we know from HBP this kind of relics past into generations in each family. If the sword was in Hogwarts why not think it was because the line of Griffindor was in Hogwarts still?

haymoni - Jul 25, 2005 9:01 am (#28 of 187)

I have to re-read this interview again.

JKR goes sermon-like on the girls who like Draco. I'm really starting to think that Harry has been right all along and Snape is evil.

I just don't think that she would go on and on about people liking Draco and not feel the same way about Snape. Maybe it worried her more about Draco because the culprits were young girls.

I'm wondering about the purpose of the 2nd Chapter - was it there to tease us further or was it there to point us in the right direction?

centauriffic - Jul 25, 2005 9:19 am (#29 of 187)

JKR said:

Harry-Snape is now as personal, if not more so, than Harry-Voldemort. I can't answer that question because it's a spoiler, isn't it, whatever I say, and obviously, it has such a huge impact on what will happen when they meet again that I can't

I'm excited that she said "when" they meet again, not "if." I know we all already assumed they would, but we get so few concrete answers from JKR that I'm glad we know at least one confrontation that will be happening!

Chemyst - Jul 25, 2005 11:18 am (#30 of 187)
Edited Jul 25, 2005 12:20 pm

About the DIGS theory: what if they had asked and JKR said no? Isn't it more fun thinking we could be right than knowing for sure we are wrong? Ignorance is bliss in this situation I think. - Veritaserum
Just how widely known is this theory outside this forum? It doesn't even rank its own essay out on the Lexicon, so what proof do we have that JKR even knows it exists? But if she does, I think her answer would be something like, "You noticed that? They have an interesting relationship, don't they?"

The fact that in some ways he's more culpable of Voldemort makes me think that he could me more able to redeem: something like "the greater the sin, the greater the repentance"... - Eunice
Yep.

I still think that the glimmer is because Harry's blood made Voldy mortal, which fits in with RAB's note. - Haymoni
Hm, I wondered if it made a part of him loved, or at least capable of it.

I really hope he is "the hand of the other" (on Wormtail) - Haymoni, again
That makes a very sensible theory. And then too, Dumbledore seemed to consider Snape his right-hand man. And then also too, Dumbledore has already destroyed almost 15% of LV's soul, um, single-handedly...

No more quidditch: ...because the quidditch pitch is being used for something else???

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 31 to 40 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:24 am

azi - Jul 25, 2005 12:51 pm (#31 of 187)

I must say, I did notice the absence of the giant squid at Dumbledore's funeral. Perhaps he was indeed the squid.

I'd never heard of the Regulus-mirror thing before the interview either and it definately makes no sense in the present. Regulus is dead, that is certain. How could he communicate with Harry? Unless I've got the theory absolutely wrong and it's nothing to do with that...

Finn BV - Jul 25, 2005 2:03 pm (#32 of 187)
Edited Jul 25, 2005 3:04 pm

What more are we going to see from Umbridge? I hope Fenrir gets her. --haymoni

I'm sorry, but the lapse in between the end of Umbridge's position at Hogwarts and the next earliest possible time that we may see her (end of June/beginning of July Y17) is just too long. If something like that had happened at the end of OoP, I wouldn't have minded; I hated Umbridge then. But now she seems in the same sort of mode as someone who's been Obliviated; unconscious and unaware. In Book 7, if it comes between Umbridge and Fenrir, I would be rooting for Umbridge all the way. If it were the end of OoP, however, Fenrir would get my vote. Umbridge seems to have calmed her ways, slightly, now.

… so what proof do we have that JKR even knows it exists? But if she does, I think her answer would be something like, "You noticed that? They have an interesting relationship, don't they?" --Chemyst

Hmm, I think the DIGS theory is sort of the same story as Aberforth-is-the-Hog's-Head-barman. To my knowledge, JKR has never come out and DIRECTLY said "Aberforth Dumbledore is indeed the barman at the Hog's Head." She has only said that she was proud of the goats clue. I think, if we ever get it resolved, the DIGS theory will be similar in an answer from JKR – as Chemyst said, "They have an interesting relationship," not, "Oh my goodness! How did you ever guess? That is the end of the giant squid! They were one and the same!"

rassannassar - Jul 25, 2005 4:55 pm (#33 of 187)

I'm pretty sure she did say that the Hog's Head barman is Aberforth. Not 100%. More like 75% sure.

Also, in the OotP, chapter called "In the Hog's Head", bottom of the second page of the chapter Scholastic edition, it says something along the lines of the barman being tall, skinny with long gray hair and a long gray beard, and he looked strangely familiar. It also says that the place smelled like something that "might have been goats." In the first chapter of book one, when Albus appears on the corner of Privet Drive, he is also described as tall and thin with a long beard and long hair. there is the family resemblence. And that's probably why he looked familiar to Harry. Either that or it's because Moody showed Harry a picture of the original Order of the Phoenix and specifically pointed out Aberforth Dumbledore. He called Aberforth a strange bloke. Harry might have recognized him for one reason or the other or both.

Blaise Zabini - Jul 25, 2005 8:22 pm (#34 of 187)

She did say he was once the barman--I am 100% sure; I was reading one of the interviews (don't remember which one) and she said something along the lines of "Yes, Abeforth is indeed the barman, I was hoping people would pick that up."

Don't remember exact quote, but I'm positive she said it.

Roseviolet - Jul 25, 2005 8:55 pm (#35 of 187)

Yep, she definitely indicated that Aberforth is the barman at the Hog's Head in this interview.

rassannassar - Jul 26, 2005 10:11 am (#36 of 187)

Thanks for backing me up. I enjoy people agreeing with me more than disagreeing, but I guess a part of me likes to argue.

Kevin Corbett - Jul 26, 2005 3:16 pm (#37 of 187)

I think she says in this interview that you got to see a bit of Aberforth, and I think this more than anything show's that there really isn't anything to wonder about---she's referred to Aberforth as the Hogshead barman now, and I think she think's she's made it explicit. And so do I.

Leia Tyndall - Jul 26, 2005 10:10 pm (#38 of 187)

Where can I find the Melissa & Emerson interview? It'd be nice to be able to read it myself--see what I can glean from it. Thanks! :}

Madam Pince - Jul 26, 2005 10:22 pm (#39 of 187)
Edited Jul 26, 2005 11:30 pm

Leia, go to Mugglenet.com or The Leaky Cauldron. They both have it.

I was so thrilled to see that my question about who else was at Godric's Hollow made it in there!!! The very last question! True, she didn't answer it, but that's all the better -- means that there was definitely someone else there, right?

Snape & Lily - Lupin & Lily - why didn't they press her? She offered to answer one - now we'll have to wait.

I thought she sort of did answer this one; she said something along the lines of that Lupin had admired Lily as a friend, but wasn't in competition with James. Which, to me, (because she chose to answer Lupin rather than Snape) means that there is some sort of Snape/Lily relationship. If JKR doesn't answer it, then something's up...

Same deal with the question about the mirror and Regulus Black -- her non-answer means the mirror will definitely enter into Book 7.

Sounded to me like she essentially confirmed that Dumbledore is dead and RAB is Regulus Black. Not totally, but essentially. She can be awfully vague, and she jumps around in her thoughts a lot and leaves a lot of unfinished sentences, but that's what I got out of it.

I thought it was very interesting that she asks us to focus on Dumbledore's family right after she was asked how did Dumbledore learn all his wizarding tricks? Could he be Gryffindor's great-great-grandson or something, and he learned at Grandpa Godric's knee?

T Brightwater - Jul 27, 2005 7:40 am (#40 of 187)

In the interview, JKR pretty much admitted that Regulus was R.A.B., and I'm fairly certain that the "heavy locket" in the drawing room cabinet in 12GP is the Horcrux, which would explain why none of them could open it. Take it a step further - we know Mundungus was pilfering from 12GP; I think _he's_ got the locket now.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 41 to 50 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 am

haymoni - Jul 27, 2005 7:55 am (#41 of 187)

I wonder if Dung has the music box that the locket was in - not realizing that the locket is there.

T Brightwater - Jul 27, 2005 9:41 am (#42 of 187)

I don't think the locket was in the music box, but rather that both were in the same cabinet. I suspect he'd have picked up the locket in any case, not having any idea what it was but figuring it was valuable. Of course, he may have the music box too. Now I'm starting to wonder how many things from that cabinet are going to resurface in book 7.

rassannassar - Jul 27, 2005 9:46 am (#43 of 187)

Archivist wrote:The above links are dead. Here are the current working links at The Leaky Cauldron.

All three parts for you.

freshwater - Jul 27, 2005 2:22 pm (#44 of 187)

Wow, I just cruised through this thread way too quickly, and will have to re-read more carefully to absorb and digest. But, I wanted to just post to say a big "thank you" to everyone who has posted such intelligent, thoughtful and intriguing ideas. It's great fun to consider the many insights of different people.

I must admit that I rather like the idea of Greyback F . getting Umbridge. Not for her death, or for the gore factor **yuck**, but for the justice of it all: she was so prejudiced against "half-breeds"...now she could be one....HA!

Finn BV - Jul 27, 2005 6:15 pm (#45 of 187)
Edited Jul 27, 2005 7:16 pm

Why is the barman of the Hog’s Head vaguely familiar to Harry? Is he Dumbledore’s brother?

Ooh—you are getting good. Why do you think that it is Aberforth? [Audience member: Various clues. He smells of goats and he looks a bit like Dumbledore]. I was quite proud of that clue. That is all that I am going to say. [Laughter]. Well yes, obviously. I like the goat clue—I sniggered to myself about that one. --From JKR's site

Well, that was the quote I was taking it from as well. I guess I'm just too skeptical, but I won't believe it until she comes out and says, "Yes you were all right, Aberforth is the Hog's Head barman. Aaaaaand, while we're at it, Albus Dumbledore was the Giant Squid."

I won't press the topic on Aberforth further.

Alex Thorpe - Jul 28, 2005 7:08 am (#46 of 187)

I took "Well yes, obviously" as confirmation...

Susurro Notities - Jul 28, 2005 5:07 pm (#47 of 187)
Edited by Jul 28, 2005 6:07 pm

Alex Thorpe,

I might have to list that as a favorite line - very JKR! Sounds like McGonagall responding to Umbridge.

charlie simmons - Jul 29, 2005 6:27 am (#48 of 187)

Given the way she responded to the Heir of Gryffinder questions, it seems quite possible that somebody else, besides Harry, is the heir. As proposed elsewhere, perhaps the Weasleys? After all, they've put kid after kid after kid in that house. Perhaps they have a gryffinder relic that's been horcruxed without them even realizing it?

Steve Newton - Jul 29, 2005 6:34 am (#49 of 187)

It could, indeed, be the Weasley's. After all 'Weasley is our king."

haymoni - Jul 29, 2005 10:33 am (#50 of 187)

I think it is Dumbledore.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 51 to 60 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:33 am

Mrs Brisbee - Jul 29, 2005 11:26 am (#51 of 187)
Edited Jul 29, 2005 12:27 pm

Rowling finally gives us a wizarding population number for Great Britain of 3000. Based on a Hogwarts class size of 40, this means that the average life span of a witch or wizard is 75 years-- not so different than for Muggles (not a perfect calculation-- infant mortality is excluded for wizards for one thing). Of course, I'm betting Murder and Magical Misadventure figure highly in the cause of death section on wizarding Death Certificates.

If you can manage to get 30 witches and wizards into one room, that's 1% of the population right there.

Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 29, 2005 2:16 pm (#52 of 187)

Mrs. Brisbee, I wonder if the average life expecrancy of witches and wwizards is between 70 to a 100 years old. How can this be reconciled with the fact that Albus Dumbledore lived to the age of 156 or 157.

Mrs Brisbee - Jul 29, 2005 2:28 pm (#53 of 187)

I think the great life spans of characters like Dumbledore or Madame Marchbanks indicates the upper most possible age a wizard can attain. Many wizards are dying very young-- like Lily, James, and Sirius, to name just a few. With such a small population the number of murders that are being committed by Voldemort and his crew are having a tremendous impact, and would drive down the average. If we were able to know how many kids were homeschooled and what the mortality rate was of children before they reached the age to attend Hogwarts, we might end up with a wizarding average life span below that of Muggles.

Geber - Jul 29, 2005 2:41 pm (#54 of 187)

A Dead End

It occured to me that the age problem might be resolved if Hogwarts also draws students from Ireland. However, Great Britain has a real population of about 60 million, and Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland together have a population of almost 6 million, so we should only expect another 290 or so wizards and witches living on the island of Ireland. Than would only change the age calculation to 82. Unless, of course, there is something about Ireland that attracts an unusually large number of the wizarding kind.

Kevin Corbett - Jul 29, 2005 2:52 pm (#55 of 187)

I think, that as she said we can't hold her to that number, we can forgive her for the rather gross miscalculation of 3000 wizards in Britain. There are a thousand reasons why it has to be higher.

If this is true, the Daily Prophet has a readership of, at the most, 3000 people, not including Goblins and Squibs and whatnot. I'm pretty sure that my local newspaper has more people reading it then that, and if the Prophet were really making money (and newspapers make money off advertisements---I was a journalism major for awhile), I imagine that half the readership works for companies that advertize in it already.

If there were only 3000, they could probably all sit in a high school gym fairly comfortably.

There are 13 Quidditch teams---with seven players per team, 1 out of every 30 wizards would be a professional Quidditch player. This is not to mention referees, ticket-takers, etc. And each team, imagining an equal fan base for all of them, would have about 230 people pulling for them---and thats assuming everyone pulls for one team or another, which doesn't seems to be the case.

In Diagon Alley, there appears to be more than one robe shop (Narcissa mentions another one), and more than one wand shop (Lupin says people will have to go to other wand makers since Ollivander is gone). And yet there are only 3000 wizard---and note that most towns of 3000 people are lucky to have more than one gas station. Magic or muggle, I think economics works the same way.

I could give other reasons, but I don't think I need to. I'm bad at "maths" as well, so I forgive Jo. But I think this will be one of those things she'll have to retract sooner or later.

Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Jul 31, 2005 12:11 pm (#56 of 187)

Forgive me for being dumb, but where can i find this interview? I've looked at many sites and can't seem to find it.

Nathan Zimmermann - Jul 31, 2005 12:18 pm (#57 of 187)
Edited Jul 31, 2005 1:22 pm

Matilda, the transcript of the interview can be found at the The Leaky Cauldron. Also, the links to the interview were posted on the thread by rassannassar in post 43 of 57 dated July 27, 2005.

Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Jul 31, 2005 1:00 pm (#58 of 187)

thanks

I Am Used Vlad - Jul 31, 2005 6:36 pm (#59 of 187)

I've finally gotten around to reading all the recent interviews, and here are my thoughts:

I was surprised that JKR wouldn't tell us what Dumbledore would see in the Mirror of Erised or what his boggart is now that he is, presumably, dead. I also picked up on the vibe that he might be a descendent of Gryffindor, although I still don't see how this would be relevant, unless he was a Horcrux.

I now think that the boy Petunia overheard talking about Dementors was not James, Sirius or Lupin.

R.A.B. is almost certainly Regulus, and Harry will communicate with him through the mirror.

There was someone else present at Godric's Hollow, but it wasn't Snape.

Ponine - Jul 31, 2005 6:40 pm (#60 of 187)

why not Snape, Vlad?

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 61 to 70 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 am

Finn BV - Aug 1, 2005 2:18 pm (#61 of 187)
Edited Aug 1, 2005 3:19 pm

I would say it's not Snape because that is not apparently the reason Dumbledore trusts him. According to Madam Pince's theory the reason, Dumbledore trusted Snape was because Snape alerted Lily and James to what Voldy was about to do that night at Godric's Hollow. So… if it were Snape, then what was he doing there, assisting Voldy in the AK'ing?? ("Concentration is key, Tom, just swish and flick, and say the magic words.")

I Am Used Vlad - Aug 1, 2005 6:10 pm (#62 of 187)

Ponine, if Snape was at Godric's Hollow trying to prevent the murders, I don't think Voldemort would ever trust him again, no matter how he tried to explain his motives. If he was there helping Voldemort, I can't see why Voldemort didn't trust him in PS/SS.

Also, JKR has said something like if we had all the discarded first chapters of PS/SS, we would pretty much be able to figure out the whole story. So I think when we find out who else was there, assuming JKR isn't just playing with us and there was someone else there, it's going to be a huge revelation, and Snape is sort of the obvious pick.

I'm trying to come up with a theory that Voldemort made this unknown party into a Horcrux with one of the murders that night, but it's still in the early stages.

Madam Pince - Aug 1, 2005 6:48 pm (#63 of 187)
Edited Aug 1, 2005 7:50 pm

Maybe this should go to the "Snape at Godric's Hollow" thread, but I don't understand your above post, Finn. I don't think we yet know for canon-sure why Dumbledore trusts Snape, do we? My theory is that Dumbledore knows Snape came to Godric's Hollow to try to warn the Potters, but Voldemort still to this day does not know Snape was there -- Snape either hid in a closet or something when he heard Voldy coming up the stairs, or disapparated or something. Anyway, the basic idea is that he tried, but didn't try hard enough. Voldy doesn't know Snape tried to warn the Potters, so therefore Voldy still trusts Snape. Dumbledore does know, and therefore he trusted Snape.

I do like I Am Used Vlad's thought that Voldemort used one of the Godric's Hollow murders (probably James'? outside in the garden before Voldy came in?) to create a horcrux that night. Perhaps the horcrux was then found later in the rubble of the Potter's house by Hagrid or Sirius? Maybe it's something innocent like Hagrid's coffeecup which he's kept all these years as a memento of James and Lily -- wouldn't that be a kick?

Does anybody else besides me always type "horcrus" the first time instead of "horcrux?"

Ponine - Aug 1, 2005 6:52 pm (#64 of 187)

*Up past her bedtime and giggling ferociously at the sight of Snape in the closet**

And thanks, VLad and MP - I have not thought enough about that night yet, and will ponder your ideas for a bit.

Snuffles - Aug 2, 2005 2:23 am (#65 of 187)

Ha Ha, am now picturing Snape sat on an upturned box in James' closet with pairs of trousers and shirts hanging around his ears!!

Finn BV - Aug 2, 2005 5:15 am (#66 of 187)

My mistake, Madam Pince. I was trying to make a point and the only way I could do that was to sort of make something up and jumble something out on the keyboard; hoping you would notice!

Voldemort still to this day does not know Snape was there.

Oh! So in the SS/film scene you were talking about, where the (alleged) Voldemort about to enter Harry's room turns around with his wand in his left hand, that was Voldemort, turning around at Snape, and not Snape turning around at Voldemort? I will think this one over… I'm not thinking straight at the moment.

Perhaps the horcrux was then found later in the rubble of the Potter's house by Hagrid or Sirius?

Do I hear "Sirius' motorbike" ringing in my ears? Yes, I do, but Hagrid must have come after Voldemort left, unless… Voldemort stuck around for something like this to happen, but that would have been risking too much, wouldn't you say so?

**tries to think normally but just can't** Sorry I'm sort of a blur in this post…

Madam Pince - Aug 2, 2005 6:11 am (#67 of 187)

Well, Finn, in my theory it could be either way, but I rather prefer the picture of Snape standing at Baby Harry's door, turning around when he hears the downstairs door opening announcing the arrival of Voldemort, and then disappearing before Voldy mounts the stairs and sees him -- the noble view would be Snape disapparating to try to get Dumbledore to come help because he knows he can't defeat Voldy by himself, but the more entertaining view would be Snape hiding in the hall closet with James' shirts and trousers hanging about his ears. ***giggles along with Ponine and Snuffles***

We are getting way off topic -- if anyone wants to delve into this further, we should continue posts over on the "Snape-Godric's Hollow" thread rather than here...

wwtMask - Aug 2, 2005 7:57 am (#68 of 187)

Sorry to change the subject, but I noticed we got a bit of confirmation about Grindelwald vs. Dumbledore and it's relation to the end of WW2. Grindelwald is definitely dead and apparently died at Dumbledore's wand. In her words:

It amuses me to make allusions to things that were happening in the Muggle world, so my feeling would be that while there's a global Muggle war going on, there's also a global wizarding war going on.

So we know from this that WW2 was indeed a total world war and involved wizards. It is clear that Grindelwald was meant to be allied with the Axis and Dumbledore with the Allies. This would also off-handedly give credence to the theory that Hitler was interested/actively trying to use magic to aid the Axis in the war.

Even more tellingly, the following exchange occurs in the interview:
Emerson: Does he have any connection to --
JKR: I have no comment to make on that subject.

I am confident that the end of Emerson's question was "Voldemort". JKR's hesitation indicates either a red herring or a bit of info that is crucial to the story. I believe it is the latter and that Tom Riddle did meet and learned from Grindelwald before the dark wizard's death. We know from Slughorn that Riddle learned of Horcruxes in sixth or seventh year, a couple years before the death of Grindelwald. That gave him a year or two to contact the wizard, during which time I think Riddle fully learned how to make a horcrux from Grindelwald.

Another theory related to Grindelwald is that Dumbledore also first learned of horcruxes while he went about defeating the dark wizard. Horcruxes are acknowledged to be ancient, forbidden magic, leading me to believe that, while there are some very learned people who know what they are, very few actually know the method of creating them, and certainly none who are on the light side. If we assume that Riddle did, indeed, learn how to create a horcrux from Grindelwald, we can also assume that the dark wizard knew of how to create them from his own experience. I think we can judge this assertion by the fact that Dumbledore seemed extremely knowledgeable of horcruxes in general and that he found it interesting that Riddle would want to create more than just one. I think that Grindelwald had a horcrux but did not dare make more because he believed or was afraid that splitting the soul anymore would have an adverse effect.

This line of speculation has far reaching consequences that we have already encountered. Let's say that Grindelwald did have a horcrux and that in 1945 Dumbledore killed him in combat. Dumbledore may have immediately realized that Grindelwald was not truly dead, or he may have realized it later somehow. But the point is that he likely knew that Grindelwald still existed without a body, just like Voldemort 35 years later. This revelation may have initiated his investigations into horcruxes and, when he discovered what they were, he found Grindelwald's and destroyed it. This would explain Dumbledore's assurance that Voldemort did not die as a result of trying to kill Harry.

I realize this is very long, but there is no more Grindelwald thread and I think this theory (and related theories) have a major impact on our understanding of the story.

wwtMask - Aug 2, 2005 11:00 am (#69 of 187)

On further consideration (and with help of the Lexicon), I see that Riddle left school in 1945, so I'll have to amend the theory a bit. I still contend that he learned about horcruxes from Grindelwald. WW2 doesn't end until August 1945 and, assuming the defeat of Grindelwald was related to the end of the war, I'd say that Tom had enough time to find the dark wizard and learn how to make a horcrux.

Troels Forchhammer - Aug 2, 2005 12:09 pm (#70 of 187)

wwtMask wrote in #69

On further consideration (and with help of the Lexicon), I see that Riddle left school in 1945

It's one of the areas where I would be careful to trust the information in the Lexicon implicitly. The dating here is depending on the dating of the books, and that is, in itself, extremely tenuous.

The books in general seems to take place in the period when they were written (I assume that the Death Day Cake was planned very early in the development of the setting). The conventional dating is a convenient tool, but you should never trust it to be that precise — Riddle may have left Hogwarts in 1945, but it might equally well have been at any time between 1940 and 1955.

Anyone obsessed with the argument might wish to read [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I can't help it; every time I find a mathematical inconsistency I have to check it in every detail until I've convinced myself that I can't find a good solution. Only then can I go back to believing the story . . . yes, I know I'm crazy ;-)

Regards,

Troels Forchhammer

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 71 to 80 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:36 am

The Artful Dodger - Aug 2, 2005 2:43 pm (#71 of 187)

I'm surprised to see that Rowling has used Tonks romantic feelings as a red herring, to a degree. Wonder what she means by that.

Amilia Smith - Aug 2, 2005 4:22 pm (#72 of 187)

Well, I was very worried about Tonks. The day before the book was released, the FAQ is answered saying that the Order of the Phoenix communicated through patronuses, and that as each patronus is unique, the Order always knows with whom they are communicating. Then, suddenly, Tonks's patronus changes. And she can no longer metamorph. I was seriously worried about Polyjuice there for a bit.

Mills.

Ag Hart - Aug 2, 2005 7:40 pm (#73 of 187)
Edited Aug 2, 2005 8:46 pm

I'm not sure what JKR meant by her red herring comment, but I know that I became suspicious of Tonks when she comes to Hogwarts looking for Dumbledore and seems perhaps even to be pumping Harry for information. Harry meets her in the corridor right outside of the Room of Requirement where Draco is engaging in his nefarious activity. Harry even notes that she comes towards him "as though she frequently strolled up the corridor" (Scholastic, 465). This encounter along with Draco's comment to Snape that he (Draco) has better "assistance" and "better people" (324) than Goyle and Crabbe working with him on the plan made me pause and scurry to recheck where Tonks was on the day Katie was cursed. It didn't help that Harry had met Tonks, once again acting oddly, outside the Three Broomsticks. I suspected that she might have passed the necklace to Katie. We now know that it was Rosmerta who did the dastardly deed and that Tonks's strange behavior was due to seemingly unrequited love and concern for Lupin. Maybe using romance to cast suspicion on Tonks was JKR's red herring. If so, I don't know how effective it was. Was anyone else, other than Amilia, suspicious of Tonks?

haymoni - Aug 2, 2005 7:53 pm (#74 of 187)

wwtMask - I thought Emerson was going to say "Hitler".

I think JKR wisely stopped him.

Madam Pince - Aug 2, 2005 8:21 pm (#75 of 187)
Edited Aug 2, 2005 9:21 pm

Oh, I definitely was suspicious, Ag Hart, except I was thinking of the Imperius Curse rather than Polyjuice Potion, but of course either could've been possible. I was convinced something very bad was up with Tonks. A good red herring, Jo! I know a lot of people have "complained" that the Tonks/Lupin romance came from out of nowhere and was even described in one book review as "Oh, I guess I'll chuck this in, too," with all the other romances, but if you realize that JKR was using Tonks to "misdirect" her readers' suspicions, then you can see that she surely couldn't be too direct with the Lupin hints, or she'd give away her own red herring!

And Haymoni, I thought Emerson had been getting ready to say "Hitler" too.

Ag Hart - Aug 2, 2005 8:49 pm (#76 of 187)
Edited Aug 2, 2005 9:51 pm

Thanks, Madam Pince, I'm glad I'm not the only one who took the bait. I'm sure JKR was banking on our suspicious minds. At least, you thought of the Imperius Curse, and it was actually used on Rosmerta. I'm still not sure why she felt the need to implicate Tonks in the first place, however.

Now, I'm left with my suspicions as to whether or not the "better people" to whom Draco referred might be insiders as opposed to known Death Eaters. Of course, that's for another thread. Now, if only I could figure out which one!

wwtMask - Aug 3, 2005 4:26 am (#77 of 187)

Hmmm...Hitler makes sense as well (probably more sense than Voldemort). Honestly, I thought that was implied, since she more or less said that the war in the WW was in parallel with the war in the muggle world. I like my Grindelwald/Voldemort theory so I hope there's a new Grindelwald thread soon, else I might have to post it to the Voldemort thread.

Kip Carter - Aug 3, 2005 4:29 am (#78 of 187)

wwtMask, you can start a new Grindelwald/Voldemort thread with your theory. I would suggest that instead of posting your idea to the Voldemort thread.

Vaughn - Aug 3, 2005 6:52 am (#79 of 187)
Edited Aug 3, 2005 7:53 am

This is a total change of subject. In her interview Rowling makes referrence to Voldemort needing to kill James as well as Harry, but he wasn't going to kill Lily, which is why her sacrifice saved Harry.

Does anyone have any ideas about why Voldemort had already planned to kill James, but not Lilly. We know that the Potters were fighting against LV and had already defied him 3 times, why where they in a position where Voldemort was attacking them personally? I do not get the feeling that very many people had faced Voldemort personally, so now we know that Voldemort was trying to specifically kill James probably before he heard the part of the prophecy. This could be why Voldemort chose to go after Harry, because he was already threatened by James. (Of course the Longbottoms had defied him 3 times as well.) I wonder if Voldemort is trying to rid the world of all the descendents of the 4 founders except for himself. If James was a descendent of Gryffendor maybe that is why Voldemort was after him, and then after Harry. Lilly was not a descendent and so she did not need to die.

What do you think?

S.E. Jones - Aug 3, 2005 7:48 am (#80 of 187)

Alias47, I'd say he was was going to kill James, because James had decided, before Voldemort got more than a few steps into the house, that he was going to fight him, no matter what. In Harry's clouded memories, we hear James shout that Voldemort is there, that Lily should take Harry and run, and that he's going to hold Voldemort off. That says to me, that he didn't give Voldemort the time to offer to let James live, so Voldemort didn't offer.... That's the difference in James and Lily's situations, to me at least, that James rushed in swinging while Lily stood and waited, thus there was time for him to tell Lily to step out of the way.

I must say, what came to my mind when JK mentioned Dumbledore's family was her comment about the knowledge of spouses being restricted:

Comic Relief (October 2002):
Sheila McCleary: Have any of the Hogwarts professors had spouses?
JKR: Good question - yes, a few of them but that information is sort of restricted - you'll find out why.

I have to agree with everyone who said that Dumbledore may have been married and lost his wife (and possibly children), which may explain why he is now, as JK said, lonely. I also thought of his comments when drinking the potion in the cave. He seemed to be watching some loved ones being tortured or killed. Could this be his family?

I found the comments about the 'Heir of Gryffindor' theory being squashed odd, I guess because I don't see what was asked in the interview that squashed it.... Even if James wasn't killed because he was Gryffindor's "heir" doesn't mean that he couldn't have been. Anyway, her comments made me wonder more why Gryffindor's sword was in the hat, rather than who his descendent was. I have to wonder if it was in the hat because he didn't have an heir or because he perhaps wanted it to be at Hogwarts, or did he want to hide it from someone (Slytherin?) since only a "true Gryffindor" could pull it out....

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 81 to 90 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 am

Ag Hart - Aug 3, 2005 8:37 am (#81 of 187)
Edited Aug 3, 2005 9:47 am

S.E. Jones--Do you think that the death(s) of Dumbledore's wife and/or offspring (assuming he had any) might have been at the hand of Grindelwald? I also couldn't figure out what in the interview discussion could possibly have ended the Heir of Griffindor theory. However, if DD is Godric's heir, and he has no children, perhaps Harry is DD's acknowledged heir, based on his noble nature and actions rather than blood, and that is why he was able to pull the sword from the hat in an Arthurian reference.

kj09 - Aug 3, 2005 12:08 pm (#82 of 187)

Okay, who is Grindelwald? I really am at a loss. Sorry, I know this is going to be a dumb question.

wwtMask - Aug 3, 2005 12:53 pm (#83 of 187)

On Dumbledore's Chocolate Frog card, it mentions that he is known for defeating the Dark Wizard Grindelwald in 1945. From the interview, it is implied that there was a wizarding world war that paralleled WW2 and, we can assume, Grindelwald was fighting on the side in the wizarding world that represents the Axis. Therefore, prior to the interview, it was largely regarded that Grindelwald's defeat coincided witht he defeat of the Axis and the interview, in not so many words, seems to agree with the conjecture.

Madam Pince - Aug 3, 2005 2:48 pm (#84 of 187)
Edited Aug 3, 2005 3:48 pm

This is off the current line of conversation, but I just read on Mugglenet about an article from some San Francisco newspaper. Apparently Melissa and Emerson are catching all kinds of flak from irate Harry/Hermione 'shippers across the world who thought that their banter with JKR about 'shipping was derogatory or something. Both their e-mail boxes are being flooded with hate mail. Wow! I feel so badly for Melissa and Emerson! Having never participated in the 'ship debates, I never realized that some 'shippers were so....um....vehement in their beliefs! One person quoted was even furious with JKR for writing HBP as she did -- the person says something along the lines of "...I no longer hold out any hope that I will ever have a normal relationship in my life..." That poor soul -- is she really equating a fictional relationship with romance in her own real life? I hope that's not the case -- that would be truly sad.

I think Emerson is regretting the day he ever heard of the word "delusional!"

The Sword and the Lion - Aug 3, 2005 4:36 pm (#85 of 187)
Edited Aug 3, 2005 5:37 pm

I am glad to see that there will be no more Quiditch matches at Hogwarts in book 7.

I enjoyed reading about Quiditch at the beginning of the H.P series, but the snitch's point value was just too high to keep me interested in it. My sympathies go out to every character that played chaser on any house-team. =)

I Am Used Vlad - Aug 3, 2005 5:24 pm (#86 of 187)

In defense of Emerson, JKR did everything short of saying "It's R/H, people" in her interviews over the last couple of years. She was smart enough to go on the record that "delusional" was his word.

The giant squid - Aug 3, 2005 10:45 pm (#87 of 187)

Yes, but it seemed clear that she really wanted to say it, too...

wwtMask - Aug 4, 2005 4:09 am (#88 of 187)

R/H has been obvious from day one and I don't blame Emerson for calling us other shippers (yeah, that's right, I sailed the H/Hr ship) delusional. There should have been zero surprise at the way the ships turned out as she provided so many clues and evidence that going in any other direction would have been silly. The people sending the hate mail are being childish and just need to grow up. If they want to see the other ships, they're more than welcome to write it up in fan fiction, but the canon story is what JKR wants, and those ships are the ones she wanted to happen.

Madam Pince - Aug 5, 2005 3:35 am (#89 of 187)

I agree. It sure seemed plain to me, both in canon and in interviews, that JKR was putting Ron & Hermione together. Poor Emerson!

Troels Forchhammer - Aug 5, 2005 5:50 am (#90 of 187)

I'll admit that I was not entirely convinced after GoF. Not that I didn't see what Hermione was doing but I wasn't convinced that it would last, and Ron was so exasperatingly hopeless

I was very pleased with Rowling's statements in the interview that Ron had to make himself worthy of Hermione — I fully agree, and I'd say that he has quite a way to go still

Once our dear Weasel has proven himself, we can have our wedding (and loads of kids)

Best
Troels

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 91 to 100 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:39 am

Matilda the Pygmy Puff - Aug 5, 2005 4:27 pm (#91 of 187)

I really liked the extra bit of info on Ron, like what his Patronus is. I also think its totally awsome that she is actually considering writing a character encyclopedia after the series. That's almost better than Hogwarts-A History.

Deb Zawacki - Aug 6, 2005 9:27 am (#92 of 187)

Well I vote for Percy as Horcrux in need of destroying,

M A Grimmett - Aug 6, 2005 12:11 pm (#93 of 187)

Percy is such a prat. There must be a further use for him or he wouldn't be so useless.

Norbert not a common welsh green - Aug 6, 2005 1:44 pm (#94 of 187)

I was wondering about the horcurx that JKR told us we've allredy seen. A Locket in 12GP has been mentioned but I don't belive that could have been it. Someone would have noticed Slythrians sign on it. Voldamort left his horcurxs in places sugnificint to his life and the only places that were seen that is sugnificint to him would be the orphananage and Hogwarts. I cant think of anything that suggested we know of a Horcurx at the orphanage so I belive it must be at Hogwarts (perhaps in the chamber of secrets). Does anyone else have any Ideas?

Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 6, 2005 2:13 pm (#95 of 187)
Edited Aug 6, 2005 3:14 pm

Norbert, I doubt anyone would have noticed because, there were Slytherin like symbols etched into the doorknobs of the house. Harry's commentary about how 12GP looked like the home of a dark wizard. So a locket bearing a symbol reminiscent of Slytherin would have passed unnoticed in 12GP because, it would be natural to find it there.

Ms Amanda - Aug 6, 2005 2:37 pm (#96 of 187)

Also, if this is the locket that was stolen, Norbert, then it is quite possible it was stolen by Sirius' brother. Maybe it was natural to take it to the Black family home to see if there was a method of destroying it.

Ag Hart - Aug 6, 2005 3:38 pm (#97 of 187)

Norbert, I suspect that most of the Blacks have been Slytherins.

Saralinda Again - Aug 6, 2005 3:40 pm (#98 of 187)

Maybe she's talking about the Sorting Hat?

riotgrrrl - Aug 6, 2005 3:45 pm (#99 of 187)

I really doubt that the sorting hat could be a Horcurx since I don't think that V. ever had an opportunity to have it in his possession, which I'm guessing is needed. The locket does seem the most obvious, but I wouldn't put it past Jo to put in a lot of Giant red herrings in HBP.

Saralinda Again - Aug 6, 2005 5:26 pm (#100 of 187)

See the Sorting Hat thread. There's means and opportunity, and at one point (around Book Four) JKR said we'd be interested in "what the Sorting Hat becomes ..." [emphasis mine]. And it is a Gryffindor relic.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 101 to 110 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 am

Deb Zawacki - Aug 6, 2005 7:39 pm (#101 of 187)

The book description of the Slytherin Common Room described the walls as sort of shimmery or something--not like the others---we've only seen heard the Gryffindor and Slytherin rooms described but neither of the other two--- my bet is its in the cemetary....

Mrs. Sirius - Aug 6, 2005 9:50 pm (#102 of 187)
Edited Aug 6, 2005 10:57 pm

I on the other hand, while I did just love the interview, (she confirmed so much for me) don't want to many more answers. I want to theorize and cogitate. Short of actually getting HP and the Book Seventh in my hand, I want to savor, relish and write about all that we have just learned.

Norbert not a comman welsh green wrote I was wondering about the horcurx that JKR told us we've allredy seen. A Locket in 12GP has been mentioned but I don't belive that could have been it. Someone would have noticed Slythrians sign on it. Voldamort left his horcurxs in places sugnificint to his life and the only places that were seen that is sugnificint to him would be the orphananage and Hogwarts.

I sincerly doubt the LV "left" his horcrux at 12 GOP. The implication I get is that RAB stole it out of the cave basin where LV placed it.

Nathan Zimmermann - Aug 6, 2005 10:25 pm (#103 of 187)

I doubt LV left the locket at 12GP. I think Regulus stole the Locket and ordered Kreacher to take it back there knowing voldemort would have difficulty finding it there.

Steve Newton - Aug 7, 2005 7:09 am (#104 of 187)
Edited Aug 7, 2005 8:09 am

It seems to me that the Sorting Hat has become a nag.

Or perhaps, a Cassandra. Telling the truth but never being believed.

Susan Bones - Aug 8, 2005 9:46 pm (#105 of 187)

Speaking of the Sorting Hat's message: JKR brings it up in the interview. As part of a discussion on Slytherins, she says:

JKR: But they're not all bad. They literally are not all bad. [Pause.] Well, the deeper answer, the non-flippant answer, would be that you have to embrace all of a person, you have to take them with their flaws, and everyone's got them. It’s the same way with the student body. If only they could achieve perfect unity, you would have an absolute unstoppable force, and I suppose it's that craving for unity and wholeness that means that they keep that quarter of the school that maybe does not encapsulate the most generous and noble qualities, in the hope, in the very Dumbledore-esque hope that they will achieve union, and they will achieve harmony. Harmony is the word.

timrew - Aug 9, 2005 2:34 pm (#106 of 187)

Well, unless the houses unite, I guess I'll eat my (Sorting) hat!

Choices - Aug 9, 2005 4:35 pm (#107 of 187)

I tend to think Slughorn is a good Slytherin. Yes, he likes to rub shoulders with the famous and influential, but he seems a decent sort really. Dumbledore referred to him as a friend and he did seem genuinely embarrassed by what he told Tom Riddle about horcruxes and what Tom did with the information. He was fond of Lily and appears to be a pretty good teacher.

T Brightwater - Aug 10, 2005 11:12 am (#108 of 187)

Assuming Slughorn is right about all the Black family having been in Slytherin except for Sirius, then Andromeda is another possibility for a good Slytherin.

Norbert not a common welsh green - Aug 11, 2005 10:24 am (#109 of 187)
Edited Aug 11, 2005 11:25 am

I sincerly doubt the LV "left" his horcrux at 12 GOP. The implication I get is that RAB stole it out of the cave basin where LV placed it.

I understod that but even if RAB is Regulas Black I doubt he would have left a Horcurx at 12 GP. He probably would have destroyed it. even if it was there it had Slytherans mark on it, despite the fact that we are told that 12 GP is like a dark wizards house I dont tink there would be many Slythran relics there. From what Burke and Heppize Smith I gather they are prety rare.

Also did DD say there was only 1 Grifendor Relic? I thought there were 2, The hat and the sward

Steve Newton - Aug 11, 2005 10:34 am (#110 of 187)

I believe that the Sorting Hat has parts of all of the Founders in it. It did belong to Gryffindor. This makes it ambiguous, to me, as a Gryffindon relic.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 111 to 120 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:40 am

Choices - Aug 11, 2005 4:34 pm (#111 of 187)

You never know, R.A.B. (if it is Regulas) could have been killed before he had a chance to retrieve the horcrux from 12 Grimmauld Place and destroy it. I think he was on the run from Voldemort and could have left it there planning to go back when he had time to do away with it. Maybe he had to find out how it could be destroyed and died before he could finish the job.

T Brightwater - Aug 11, 2005 5:59 pm (#112 of 187)

I agree with you, Choices - this seems to be the most likely sequence of events, especially since we know Regulus didn't live very long after turning against LV.

Locket, locket, who's got the locket? Somehow I doubt it's still in 12GP; that would be too easy. Did Mundungus steal it? Did he sell it to anyone? Is it in Kreacher's stash of things he saved from summer before last? Did it end up in the trash? (Image of HRH combing a landfill for traces of magic...)

Chemyst - Aug 11, 2005 6:01 pm (#113 of 187)
Edited Aug 11, 2005 7:06 pm

That was my thought too, Choices, that he ran out of time. Perhaps with his assassin closing in, he handed to locket to Kreacher who then apparated with it back to 12GP; anything to keep it from falling back into the hand of LV.

Susurro Notities - Aug 11, 2005 6:23 pm (#114 of 187)

If Mundungus had the locket did he sell it to Aberforth?

T Brightwater - Aug 12, 2005 10:25 am (#115 of 187)

I wonder if DD told Aberforth to try to recover as many of the stolen items from 12 GP as he could - that would account for the two of them apparently being on speaking terms again.

scoop2172000 - Aug 18, 2005 4:21 am (#116 of 187)

I was struck by JKR mentioning in the interview that the Quidditch scene in which Luna did the commentary was the last time JKR would write about Quidditch.

I think this means that Harry will resign from the team. Remember - we see the unfolding story almost exclusively through Harry's eyes.

Harry might change his mind about not returning to Hogwarts - perhaps because he may come to believe that one or more horcrux is concealed in the castle. But in any case, his quest to eliminate Voldemort will leave him no time for extra-curricular activities.

My guess is that the team captaincy will pass to Ron, making at least one half of the Mirror of Erised vision come true. Perhaps the other half will come true too if McGonagle appoints him Head Boy. Certainly, she'd be inclined to appoint a Weasley, given the family history.

joey - Aug 18, 2005 5:57 am (#117 of 187)

I highly doubt he'll attend Hogwarts next year. He has a big job to do and he realizes that in defeating LV, everything else must take a back seat. He is going to do some extensive traveling I expect, if he's to find these Horocruxes. It would be frowned upon if HRH were to leave school for extended periods of time missing classes, tests, NEWT's, etc. I don't doubt he may return looking for a Horocrux or for information, but I kind of think he'll do it in secret...like use one of the hidden passages or something. Well, if Hogwarts is even open that is.

haymoni - Aug 19, 2005 10:36 am (#118 of 187)

I keep re-reading the part about Dumbledore's death being planned.

JKR says "Do you think that will be a big theory?"

Maybe Dumbledore's death wasn't PRE-planned - i.e. he and Snape had it all worked out at the start of term - "If I ever get in a situation where you need to choose between killing me and blowing your cover, I want you to choose killing me."

I think the conversation that Hagrid overheard was about Snape being a double agent - he didn't want to do it anymore. I don't think it had to do with Snape someday killing Dumbledore.

However, maybe after drinking the skanky Gatorade, Dumbledore knew he wasn't long for this world. Snape makes it to the tower and in the brief "Severus, please..." Dumbledore is able to communicate to Snape what he must do.

It wasn't planned, but, well, here we are, there are more important things at stake than me - go ahead.

Valfunde - Aug 19, 2005 2:31 pm (#119 of 187)
Edited by Aug 19, 2005 3:32 pm

haymoni - That sounds very possible. I would imagine this happening over the other scenario. I believe that keeping Snape's cover, so he can be at the final confrontation between Harry and Voldy or so he can be in the ultimate position to aid Harry against LV would be the most important thing to DD.

Marcos Stefanakopolus - Aug 19, 2005 3:55 pm (#120 of 187)

I believe that keeping Snape's cover, so he can be at the final confrontation between Harry and Voldy or so he can be in the ultimate position to aid Harry against LV would be the most important thing to DD.
I have a bit of a problem with that in as much as DD never, never clarifies for us why exactly he trusts Snape. Let's imagine, then the final Harry vs. Voldemort scene, with Snape offering help. Having seen Snape kill DD, just exactly how willing do you think Harry's going to be to accept Snape's help? Harry absolutely hates Snape, always has, and now he has even more reason. For him to make a huge leap of trust, in the middle of confronting Voldemort, and choose to accept Snape's help in any form strikes me as incredibly implausible and against character. No, much more plausible is that Harry would think Snape was trying to trick him with a fake offer of help.

DD wasn't stupid. If DD wanted Snape to be available to help Harry at the final confrontation, it logically follows that he would have given Harry some compelling reason--any reason at all!--to trust Snape. But he never does. JKR--through DD's refusal to explain his trust in Snape--leaves Snape's trustworthiness in doubt.

The best DD says is, more or less, "you should trust him because I trust him." But DD also says "just because I'm really smart, doesn't mean I don't make mistakes, and when I do they're whoppers!" And from Harry's point of view on top of the Astronomy tower, he's seeing the effects of one of those whopper mistakes.

If Snape's really a good guy, then yes, it's important for him to retain his cover. But DD wanting him present at the final confrontation can't be the reason why it's important. We're just going to have to wait for book 7, obviously, but I'll go as far as to say this: if, at some point in book 7 before the final confrontation, something happens to make Harry trust Snape (such as, learning why DD trusted him, or seeing him save Ron, Hermione, or Ginny's life or something undeniably good like that), then that'll be the tip-off to expect Snape to show up for the final confrontation. Otherwise, I just don't see how Harry would ever accept his help in that situation.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 121 to 130 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:41 am

haymoni - Aug 19, 2005 5:41 pm (#121 of 187)

Snape doesn't need Harry's permission to help him.

He didn't need Harry's permission to keep him on that broomstick.

Snape could jump in front of the AK just like Lily did. Voldy would be blasted away again and this time, if Harry was successful in destroying all the Horcruxes, he would actually die.

If Harry isn't successful, what a cliff hanger!!!

HungarianHorntail11 - Aug 20, 2005 9:01 am (#122 of 187)

I have a bit of a problem with that in as much as DD never, never clarifies for us why exactly he trusts Snape.

JKR says that DD has no equal, no confidante. She also says that DD sits back and waits to see if others can work out their problems on their own. That lends me to believe that DD, despite what Harry saw Snape do, believes Harry will work this out and do the right thing when it comes down to it. Perhaps somewhere in the back of his mind, Harry will remember the Pensieve moment when DD stuck up for Snape and said, "he is no more a Death Eater than I am".

Chemyst - Aug 20, 2005 5:13 pm (#123 of 187)
Edited Aug 20, 2005 6:13 pm

...the Pensieve moment when DD stuck up for Snape and said, "he is no more a Death Eater than I am".

...and I've often wondered why a "DD is a DE" theory never really caught on.

Valfunde - Aug 20, 2005 7:14 pm (#124 of 187)
Edited by Aug 20, 2005 8:27 pm

Wow. Step away from the computer for a while a see what happens. Hey, Marcos S. I respect your opinions, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on some things and clarify myself. I never meant to imply DD was stupid! In fact, I think he, out of all of the characters, is the "puppet master" or the character closest to representing JKR herself in so far as knowledge of what's going on in the story.

I also never said that Harry would accept any help from Snape at the final confrontation. Harry will not even know the things Snape would be doing to help him. I think Snape (if good) will be working behind the scenes and there might be some kind of BIG moment just when Harry is about to be AK'ed by LV and Snape jumps to his rescue and finally shows what side he's on. Again, I'm just speculating like you are, but I imagined it could be something like that.

And you know what? DD never comes right out and tells Harry why he trusts Snape because it's a literary convention, and if DD (JKR) gave us this undeniable reason to trust that Snape is "good," then one of the biggest and most important unknowns of the whole series would be finished before the final book. What kind of Book 7 would that give us then?!

T Brightwater - Aug 22, 2005 9:17 am (#125 of 187)

...and I've often wondered why a "DD is a DE" theory never really caught on. - Chemyst

Maybe he is - in disguise and for his own purposes. Then, if Snape really is on the right side, "He is now no more a DE than I am" is right up there with "Unless you are suggesting that Harry and Hermione can be in two places at one time..."

Ydnam96 - Aug 23, 2005 6:02 am (#126 of 187)

T Brightwater, I have to admit that phrase about Snape caught my attention as well when I was reading it. But, I don't ever want to think that of DD so I quickly put it out of my mind.

Dame Peverell - Aug 23, 2005 6:18 am (#127 of 187)
Edited Aug 23, 2005 7:27 am

No matter how you cut the good guy/bad guy cake, Snape IS a death eater. In OoP he went to LV 2 hours after the others and was welcomed back into the circle. We also know H & H WERE in two places at one time. Logic would have it then that DD IS a Death Eater somehow. Too much to swallow, I know. I KNOW! But consider this: Why are LV's closest followers called DE's? Is it just that they bear the dark mark or is there some ritual they have performed? Can DD have performed that ritual without being a LV supporter?

Norbert not a common welsh green - Aug 23, 2005 12:15 pm (#128 of 187)

Why would DD do that?

Finn BV - Aug 23, 2005 5:53 pm (#129 of 187)

I thinnk "Death Eaters" is just a name that Voldemort liked and coined his followers that. I have some memory of the fact that they were called this even when he was in school…

Then the name stuck. It is very original and menacing, I must admit.

Dame Peverell - Aug 24, 2005 5:42 am (#130 of 187)
Edited Aug 24, 2005 6:55 am

Why would DD do that? How would I know? But maybe, just a guess;

To gain some ability or advantage.
Or maybe, when LV was in school, they drank or did something secret they weren't supposed to as an initiation thing and DD knew about it and had, in fact, done the same thing himself. Nothing sinister intended. But DE started out to mean you had done this thing.
Which would mean that DD's statement about being a DE himself was truthful if only semantically.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 131 to 140 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:41 am

wynnleaf - Aug 24, 2005 6:33 am (#131 of 187)

Dame Peverell said: “No matter how you cut the good guy/bad guy cake, Snape IS a death eater.”

He is now no more a DE than I am As I recall, DD said that Snape was a Death Eater, but is “now no more… than I” That certainly carries the message that one can be a DE and then cease to be one, meaning that if Snape is a good guy, he’s no longer a DE. The only way it could have any other meaning – and for a “once a DE, always a DE” to hold true, would be if DD was also a DE. Since there is no evidence of this other than this turn of phrase, which works more clearly to mean “he once was, but now no longer,” I don’t think the DD as DE carries much weight.

Valfunde - Aug 24, 2005 8:19 am (#132 of 187)
Edited by Aug 24, 2005 9:20 am

I think the name "Death Eater" comes from Voldy's personal fear of death and wanting to gain immortality for himself. His Death Eaters help him actually "eat" death or conquer it and live forever through the dark arts.

HungarianHorntail11 - Aug 24, 2005 9:55 am (#133 of 187)

I agree, Valfunde. The term makes me think of Big V conquering death, hence he names his followers, Death Eaters.

T Brightwater - Aug 24, 2005 10:03 am (#134 of 187)

wynnleaf, I agree with you. I really can't believe DD was ever a DE, but I can believe that he was convinced that Snape was not one, as of the time DD spoke at Karkaroff's trial.

HungarianHorntail11 - Aug 24, 2005 11:01 am (#135 of 187)

Switching gears:

MA: Does he have the other mirror, or Sirius’s mirror —

JKR: I have no comment at all on that mirror. That mirror is not on the table. [Laughter from all; Jo's is maniacal.]

I always imagined that Sirius had the mirror with himself when he went through the veil (trying to contact Harry that night). Then I thought, what if it hadn't left 12GP? Who else could have picked it up? Can Snape possibly have it? After all, DD had James' invisibility cloak . . .

Geber - Aug 26, 2005 2:22 pm (#136 of 187)

In Order of the Phoenix tries his mirror and discovers it does not work. Then "Harry remained quite still for a moment, then hurled the mirror back into the trunk where it shattered". So even if Sirius's mirror is found, there may no longer be a matched pair.

(The above is on page 858 of the Scholastic hardcover edition, about half way through chapter 38.)

Ag Hart - Aug 26, 2005 3:22 pm (#137 of 187)

Glass can be repaired magically (and just about anything else), why not mirrors?

haymoni - Aug 26, 2005 4:10 pm (#138 of 187)

Duh! (Hits head with hand!) One "Reparo" and the mirror is fixed!

What a Muggle I am! I never even thought about the mirror being fixed.

Harry could be packing for his travels at #4. Hermione sees the broken mirror - "What's that, Harry? Reparo!" And then we hear Sirius!

Now Emerson specifically asked Jo about Regulus having a mirror. What do you think about that?

Ag Hart - Aug 26, 2005 5:50 pm (#139 of 187)

Reparo was what I was thinking of, but I wasn't sure if it was only in the movie. However, I thought that Hermione( or was it someone else?) repaired broken glass in the door to HRH's compartment on the train.

TwinklingBlueEyes - Aug 27, 2005 1:53 am (#140 of 187)

I noticed in HBP that the mirror fragments weren't mentioned among the contents at the bottom of the trunk when DD came to get Harry.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 141 to 150 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 am

Accio Sirius - Aug 27, 2005 11:07 am (#141 of 187)
Edited by Aug 27, 2005 12:09 pm

haymoni,

I noticed that too, that suddenly Regulus was part of the mirror scenario. How did that happen? Firstly, I assumed that Regulus and Sirius didn't have much contact with each other when Regulus was alive, otherwise, we might have heard more about him. Secondly, I believe the mirror was introduced as something the Marauders had, and not some Black family heirloom. The question just seemed to come out of left field.

I really enjoyed the interview, although as someone else had mentioned, a little surprised by some repetitive questions. Being HP experts, I thought Emerson and Melissa would have known what has been answered already. Although after reading JKR's answers, I am more inclined to think that Snape is not some triple agent, but just evil. Then again, that would make DD seriously mistaken and despite what she says about him making big mistakes, that's like someone ignoring a giant red flag in front of them. I just don't think DD is that naive. He was on to Voldermort so quickly and he can accurately read people (as to good or bad--I think he's a little less skilled on emotional nuances. That was his mistake with Sirius in OoP.) I would prefer if there is some semblance of good in Snape. Just lately I'm not feeling that vibe. I need to hear Gina's side of things!

Madam Pince - Aug 27, 2005 11:40 am (#142 of 187)
Edited Aug 27, 2005 12:40 pm

I thought that was odd that Melissa said "does (Regulus) have the other mirror...or Sirius' mirror..." I mean, Regulus is dead, right? JKR has confirmed that in another interview. Why would he have the mirror? (present tense) What, is it in his coffin with him?

timrew - Aug 27, 2005 3:29 pm (#143 of 187)

The question is, 'Why would JKR introduce the mirror in the first place?'

The answer is surely, she must be going to use it again, and it will have to be in book 7. So, does Harry talk to the dead? I think he must.............

haymoni - Aug 27, 2005 4:00 pm (#144 of 187)

Sirius says that he & James used the mirrors to communicate.

I could see the Black Brothers using the mirrors to communicate - maybe once Sirius went to Hogwarts, he left Regulus with one. Maybe punishments were being locked in separate bedrooms so they used the mirrors to communicate.

i.e. - James & Sirius used the mirrors, but Sirius could have brought the "technology" from home.

Chemyst - Aug 28, 2005 1:42 am (#145 of 187)

Although after reading JKR's answers, I am more inclined to think that Snape is not some triple agent, but just evil. - Accio Sirius
Unless it's what she wants you to think. I may be way off base on this guess, but I've wondered if this isn't some new-fangled spawned-from-the-Internet phenomena at play. Snape has been carefully written to be ambiguous when it comes to his inner motives being good/evil. Everything superficial about him is evil; greasy hair, dresses in black. My hunch is that JKR's been reading so many Gina-styled comments that it has spooked her. She wanted her readers to feel the same way Harry does about Snape, but to her dismay, finds they are reveling in connubial bliss. I'm guessing that JKR is a bit worried that the "big reveal" she has been planning for Harry in the last six books won't be the high-impact revelation she wanted for the fans who are milling around saying, "Yeah, like we didn't see that coming! The only mystery left was why DD trusted him."

Accio Sirius - Aug 28, 2005 4:32 pm (#146 of 187)

I see what you are saying Chemyst. It would be a let down (in terms of being a surprise) and a relief (because I really don't want him to be evil)at the same time if Snape is a good guy, so to speak. In looking back at her other interviews too, however, she seems genuinely bothered by the number of people who like the bad boys and project more noble intentions on them. She's also said some rather harsh things about Slytherins as well. I always took those responses to mean sometimes things are what they seem.

I credit Gina with making me rethink the character of Snape--and I really don't want him to be evil. I wonder how much, if at all, the popularity of a character influences her--though it certainly didn't seem to help Sirius!

HungarianHorntail11 - Aug 28, 2005 7:25 pm (#147 of 187)

What if there are more than two mirrors and it only alerts the one you are calling? (Did Sirius ever specify that there were only two?)

JKR lumped Draco as a bad boy with Snape and Draco couldn't follow through and kill, even though his life may have depended on it. That to me is very revealing about Snape.

T Brightwater - Aug 29, 2005 10:44 am (#148 of 187)

My theory for this week is that, having pretended to be remorseful and defect to the right side, killing DD will cause him to feel real remorse and have a real change of heart, but that isn't so effective if we think he's been on the right side all along.

Ana Cis - Sep 17, 2005 9:58 am (#149 of 187)
Edited by Sep 17, 2005 10:59 am

Can anyone tell me if JKR was asked these two questions in direct manner?

1. Is Dumbledore really dead?
2. Was Snape in love w/Lily or a friend of Lily's?

I have gone through all the interviews in Quick Quotes and in JKR's site News section and I haven't see them. They may have skirted around them, but have not asked directly. If the answer is no, they have not been asked, I suspect that JKR's publicists have established a set of conditions that prior to interviewing JKR, the questions are prescreened or certain questions can't be asked. The reason is that if she's asked and she doesn't comment, then it gives too much away. It may be cynical, but I have to ask why the two questions have never been asked... just serendipity? I don't think so. When Sirius was killed, JKR was repeatedly asked right away if Sirius was dead. And she was straightforward with her answer. But I have not seen in any of the interviews where those two questions above been raised.

Comments?

Eponine - Sep 17, 2005 10:11 am (#150 of 187)

Ana Cis,

ES: Was James the only one who had romantic feelings for Lily?

JKR: No. [Pause.] She was like Ginny, she was a popular girl.

MA: Snape?

JKR: That is a theory that's been put to me repeatedly.

ES: What about Lupin?

JKR: I can answer either one.

ES: How about both? One at a time.

JKR: I can't answer, can I, really?

I don't know if she's been asked if Dumbledore is really dead.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 151 to 160 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:42 am

Ana Cis - Sep 17, 2005 11:17 am (#151 of 187)
Edited by Sep 17, 2005 12:17 pm

Thanks Eponine! She answered about Lupin, but not about Snape. The next question I have to ask is, what would have been the impact if "she had said no, but I can't explain further", like she did w/Lupin? If this isn't suspicious, do we have to be hit w/a two-by-four and be told directly, yes there was?

haymoni - Sep 17, 2005 5:34 pm (#152 of 187)
Edited Sep 17, 2005 6:35 pm

I'm wondering if Jo has reached the point where she doesn't want to give ANYTHING away.

So if there is a hint that someone else loved Lily, it doesn't matter WHO it was, she isn't going to run down a list of names and say, "Yes, No, Yes, No" - instead she is just going to say she can't answer and leave it at that.

Unless it is something that is WAAAAY off base, like the bubblegum wrappers or the Snape is a Vampire thing.

If it is too close to home, she is going to play it safe.

The giant squid - Sep 17, 2005 10:03 pm (#153 of 187)

I can see her not wanting to commit to anything now. Between trying to save the big surprises for book 7 and revelling evilly in our way-off-base theories, she's much better served by pleading the 5th (metaphorically speaking).

--Mike

wynnleaf - Sep 18, 2005 12:06 am (#154 of 187)
Edited Sep 18, 2005 1:07 am

Still, it's interesting that she did answer the question on whether anyone has loved Snape with a yes. Point being, she didn't have any "keep everything a secret" problems with that one, did she?

She says of the Snape/Lily connection, "that is a theory that has been put to me repeatedly." Okay, where? The question is not repeated all over the interviews. I'm guessing this must mean that it's a question that gets into written lists of questions, but which she doesn't usually allow to be asked in an interview, or she doesn't select it as a question to answer.

On the other hand, the question of DD's death is a bit different. When the topic came up and Melissa or Emerson put forward the theory that the tower events were planned by DD, JKR asked if they thought that would be the prevalent theory. Now that sort of sounded to me like she was expecting them to ask her if DD was really dead. But quite that early on -- having just finished the book -- I think most people just assumed DD was really dead, so perhaps those at interviews didn't think of asking if he was really dead.

HungarianHorntail11 - Sep 18, 2005 8:31 am (#155 of 187)

She may have taken for granted the impact of Sirius' death - I took DD's for real once I saw his portrait in his office. That being said, she may not have wanted us to go that route (Snape/DD devised plan theory) for fear that we may touch too close on a subject that impacts Book 7. Is that being too presumptuous?

wolfgrl - Sep 28, 2005 9:33 am (#156 of 187)

I think they did not ask if DD was really dead because they knew she would not answer, and they did not want to put her into that position. If she refused to answer that is as good as giving away that yes he is alive. Which would have given away a huge part of book 7. Melissa & Emerson want to have the oportunity to repeat this experience, asking questions that would reveal to much of the future plot would not have been a good idea. I honestly don't want to know until book 7 comes out. It would ruin all of the speculation.

Ponine - Sep 29, 2005 10:11 pm (#157 of 187)

Wynnleaf - my thoughts exactly!

Die Zimtzicke - Feb 14, 2006 9:12 am (#158 of 187)

Maybe I'm the only one that was but I was disappointed with a lot of this interview series. It didn't ask many of the things I wanted to see asked, and it got sidetracked a lot, in my opinion. I know they wer tired and excited, but journalists who are tired and excited must still manage to pull themselves together when they have to. They didn't seem very professional to me. Personally, I'll be surprised if Jo gives many more interviews under uncontrolled conditions.

I saw R/Hr coming since GoF, but I think it was crude to use the word delusional. Especially when so many H/Hr have put boatloads of time and money into Mugglenet. It was like saying, "Neener, neener! You losers!" to use the word delusional. It was a bad choice of words, and kicking fellow fans when they were down was not neccesary in my opinion.

I love Aberforth, though, so I'm glad he got a mention. I have always equated Aberforth with the Norse God, Odin, who had a goat named Heidrun. It is said that the Valkyries served mead that flowed constantly from the udders of Odin's goat. I think that's why a barman was putting charms on a goat, to make enchanted mead like Odin did, and a pox on anyone who sees it in a tacky way.

Since I find Quidditch incredibly boring and divisive I'm glad Jo said we're done with it.

There were a few gems in the interview, but a lot of nothing said in many words, as well. I agree with everyone who wished Steve could have gone.

frogface - Feb 14, 2006 12:36 pm (#159 of 187)

I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. First of all, they aren't journalists. They aren't professional's, and the majority of people I spoke to were very happy with the information we got from that interview. I know I was. Secondly, the delusional thing. Well alot has been said about that and I think really it was just a joke. I think Emerson was actually having more of a dig at the H/Hr Shippers who were abusive in defending their ship, which I'm sure you'll agree is ridiculous behaviour. Anyone who gets upset just because they happened to make a prediction that was wrong needs to grow up in my opinion. Thank goodness we don't have that sort of behaviour in the forum!

Chemyst - Feb 14, 2006 4:47 pm (#160 of 187)

Die Zimtzicke, that is interesting about Heidrun. You might want to post it on the Use of Mythology in HP thread. I did a search and no one has mentioned it there yet, although last August someone mentioned Heidrun on the Aberforth thread.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 161 to 170 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:43 am

Finn BV - Feb 14, 2006 6:25 pm (#161 of 187)

I agree, frogface. While Melissa Anelli does have a degree in journalism, you have to realize that the whole point was for it not to be a professional, New York Times-formal interview. It was supposed to be around 2 hours and it went for 3. Jo, Melissa, and Emerson were all had a good time, because they're friends. The casualty and informality of the conversations is partly to blame on all of them, including Jo. Also, don't forget that the questions they asked were sent in by fans, and narrowed down to the top ten from each site from thousands of entries. That takes a lot of work!

Solitaire - Feb 14, 2006 6:32 pm (#162 of 187)

I think that's why a barman was putting charms on a goat, to make enchanted mead like Odin did, and a pox on anyone who sees it in a tacky way.

I hadn't considered that idea, Die Zimtzicke, but it does make sense for a barman. I've always thought that perhaps Aberforth was trying to find a way to create a ready supply of bezoars. As we saw in HBP, poisons could prove to be problematic, and a ready supply of bezoars would certainly come in handy. I agree that nothing tacky should be considered. HP is not that kind of series.

Solitaire

Amilia Smith - Feb 14, 2006 10:39 pm (#163 of 187)

I'm with Die Zimtzicke on the delusional incident. I can understand Emerson being excited to finally be absolutely, positively, without a doubt vindicated in winning the shipping wars. Which did get very vicious and exasperating. But calling a large portion of his patrons delusional was in poor form. He did apologize.

Mills.

haymoni - Feb 15, 2006 6:47 am (#164 of 187)

I'll have to go back and read that again, but wasn't he saying that if they STILL thought there was an H/H 'ship after reading HBP that they were delusional?

If so, I agree with him.

Netherlandic - Feb 15, 2006 7:59 am (#165 of 187)

The thing I really liked about this interview is that it is quite long. Not just six minutes per interviewer (=5 questions)like it happens sometimes with movie stars.

haymoni - Feb 15, 2006 11:16 am (#166 of 187)

I agree. She seemed to answer every question that they could come up with. I think with one more read-through they would have asked a lot more.

Mare - Feb 15, 2006 11:54 am (#167 of 187)

I also have mixed feelings about this interview.
The two interviewers were just so focussed on shipping (are their sites too?) I know a lot of people in the HP universe find this aspect of the book very important and obviously romance has increased in the books but that is why I choose this forum as my niche; if you look around here you see that this forum is full of theories and ideas but only one ship thread.
other than that, yes, sure Emmerson was joking, but still he should have known better. He apparently knew very well how heated the shipping debates could get and how personal people could take it. If you then still proceed to call a large group of people delusional in the face of their favourite writer without any of them being present to defend themselves (what a mess that would have been!), well, he should have predicted people got angry.

On the positive side, it was great not to have Jo answer questions of how you can become a writer and such... And it was just great of her to have this interview in the first place!

Netherlandic - Feb 15, 2006 12:04 pm (#168 of 187)

Marè, yes, such a relief not to have Jo answer simple questions the press people could have known if they had only checked her own website or the floo network.

Incidentally, where has your è gone?

I second your remarks about choosing this forum instead of another. 1 ship tread will do.

Finn BV - Feb 15, 2006 3:10 pm (#169 of 187)

Netherlandic, Marè got rid of her è when too many people started writing "Mare (sorry I can't do the 'e' thing)."

I agree with haymoni, the anger of the R/H 'shippers was completely unnecessary. I never got into 'shipping, but if somebody called me and the rest of my theorists on a particular point 'delusional' in the context that it was used, I wouldn't care. From another angle, there have been many times in my life where I've been talking in an important environment and not realized the impact of the words I've used. I give Emerson credit for daring to publish that, when he and Melissa could have easily cut it from the final copy they gave their readers.

Emerson, IMO, had all rights to make a big deal back to the violent R/H 'shippers after they wouldn't give up criticizing him, Melissa, and, the worst part about it, Jo. Angered by his words, they started saying that Jo was missing all the clues she laid out for a R/H 'ship. I think they took this vehemolence too far by saying Jo was missing the point of her own saga.

frogface - Feb 15, 2006 3:15 pm (#170 of 187)

Don't you mean angry H/Hr Shippers Finn? I agree that saying Jo "didn't see the clues" or something to that affect was just plain ridiculous. It seemed to me to be the metaphoric version of a child having a tantrum!

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 171 to 180 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:43 am

Mare - Feb 15, 2006 3:41 pm (#171 of 187)

Marè got rid of her è when too many people started writing "Mare (sorry I can't do the 'e' thing).

Actually I got rid of it when I got a new laptop, and I couldn't write my own name properly anymore.

I don't know Emerson, or his beef with the shippers so I don't know if him publicing it was very brave, very honest or him wanting to say nanana...

Other than that these lines caught my attention:
ES: What would Dumbledore see?

JKR: I can't answer that.

ES: What would Dumbledore's boggart be?

JKR: I can't answer that either, but for theories you should read six again. There you go.

Now why can't these questions be answered? Does Dumbledore see something very specific in the mirror?

Caius Iulius - Feb 16, 2006 9:52 am (#172 of 187)

Perhaps the deaths he could not prevent?

Madam Pince - Feb 16, 2006 11:59 am (#173 of 187)

That's what I think, too, Caius. It's the only time we've seen Dumbledore really really emotional (in The Cave scene, I mean.) I was frustrated with JKR's answers to those interview questions, but at the same time it's exciting because it indicates that we'll get some really juicy Dumbledore info in Book 7!

I can appreciate a little bit how Emerson must've felt when he used that "delusional" comment. Yes, in retrospect it was probably ill-advised, but I read some of the threads/posts where people were doing their hard-core 'shipping, and honestly some of them were very rudely aggressive in their commentary. And to criticize JKR (the author, for Pete's sake!) of not picking up on the clues that she wrote herself??? Sheesh. I agree -- thank goodness we don't do that on this Forum. One 'ship thread is aplenty.

Finn BV - Feb 16, 2006 3:12 pm (#174 of 187)

Oops, thanks frogface, I kept rereading my post and I thought that something was wrong! Yes, I mean H/Hr.

LOL, Marè, sorry!

Betelgeuse Black - Feb 16, 2006 7:13 pm (#175 of 187)

Mare,

After considering Jo's statement about DD's boggart and of course, Caius' statement, I propose that DD's boggart would be Harry dead. He has said repeatedly that Harry is more valuable than his own life.

Now what would DD see in the mirror of Erised? How about a happy Harry with Ginny on his wedding day after Voldy is vanquished. DD would be stand in as the Groom's honorary parent.

Just something to start some theories... Betelgeuse

Caius Iulius - Feb 17, 2006 3:04 pm (#176 of 187)

Betelgeuse, a dead Harry as a boggart for Dumbledore is an interesting theory.

As for the mirror of Erised: the answer will be boring but I expect it is the image of Harry defeating Voldemort while surviving the battle. Alternative: the image could be Dumbledore not receiving any books on his birthday for the first time in a 100 years.

Mare - Feb 17, 2006 3:45 pm (#177 of 187)

But those answers aren't revealing anything new, why couldn't they be given in the interview?

Caius Iulius - Feb 17, 2006 3:48 pm (#178 of 187)

Ah....

Weeny Owl - Feb 19, 2006 12:53 pm (#179 of 187)

As for the professionalism or lack thereof in the interview, remember that Emerson is about eighteen or so and isn't a full-fledged businessman but another fan. It wasn't a formal interview, after all. It's also good experience for Emerson for the future.

Mare - Feb 19, 2006 1:51 pm (#180 of 187)

Ah....
I have the same reaction every time I come up with a possible explanation. I'm still thinking in the direction of DD's nearest family members or something.

And Weeny Owl, you are completely right, I shouldn't forget that It is very impressive what Emerson has achieved so far with his website and all.

John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson (Posts 181 to 187 of 187)

Post  John Bumbledore Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:44 am

Caius Iulius - Feb 21, 2006 11:05 am (#181 of 187)

Well then, perhaps Dumbledores mirror of Erised shows what Harry's blood in Voldemort will do...

otherwise I wouldn't know, Mare.

Thom Matheson - Feb 22, 2006 7:13 am (#182 of 187)

Or a contented man see's only himself. DD would probably only see himself.

Caius Iulius - Feb 23, 2006 11:14 am (#183 of 187)

with or without socks?

haymoni - Feb 23, 2006 11:42 am (#184 of 187)

Maybe when Dumbledore looks into the mirror, he sees himself looking at his own reflection in the mirror.

Am I saying that right???

He looks into the mirror and sees a Dumbledore looking into another Mirror of Erised and the reflection in THAT mirror shows just Dumbledore.

i.e. his heart's desire is to be the man that only sees himself.

Definitely with socks.

Chemyst - Feb 23, 2006 3:53 pm (#185 of 187)

i.e. his heart's desire is to be the man that only sees himself.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Netherlandic - Feb 24, 2006 2:36 pm (#186 of 187)

Very wise, Haymoni. Lol.

Geber - Feb 24, 2006 4:17 pm (#187 of 187)

What would Dumbledore see in the mirror of Erised? I notice that what Dumbledore criticizes himself for the most when he is talking to Harry is failing to give Harry information and responsibility earlier than he did. At the same time, others criticize Dumbledore for being too trusting, especially towards Snape.

So perhaps Dumbledore would see himself giving information to someone who he has been keeping in the dark.

- - End of Archive - -
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson Empty Re: JKR Interview with Melissa & Emerson

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down