HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still Unanswered Questions

+3
Verity Weasley
Hieronymus Graubart
shepherdess
7 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 Empty Re: Still Unanswered Questions

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 am

But Scrimgeour wasn't LV's man. He died under torture when the Ministry fell to the Death Eaters. He might not have been much better of a Minister of Magic than Fudge was, but he wasn't LV's man.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:19 am

Oh, duh!! I was confusing him with Thicknesse! Thanks for setting me straight.  Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 2752390508 
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:42 pm

When Mrs. Weasley is cooking (self-peeling) sprouts, what is she cooking? There are different kinds of sprouts; how am I to know which type JKR is talking about?

Why doesn't Neville just get a cage for Trevor so he can stop losing him?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Given the British-ness of the books, I think I can confidently say that Mrs Weasley was preparing brussels sprouts!  Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 2752390508 
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 Empty Re: Why doesn't Neville just get a cage for Trevor so he can stop losing him?

Post  Hieronymus Graubart Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 pm

Because depriving Trevor of his freedom to try to escape would be cruel. And Neville would probably lose the cage Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 2752390508

Hieronymus Graubart
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:19 pm

Brussels sprouts was my first thought, Verity, but I was thrown off by the "self-peeling". I didn't know Brussels sprouts needed to be peeled.

Hieronymus, it is true that Neville is forgetful and could forget where he left the cage, but when he remembered, at least Trevor would still be there.

As for the cruelty of the cage, owls are kept in cages and even Crookshanks has a traveling carrier.

Which raises another question: why do students even take cages to Hogwarts? Owls stay in the owlery, and (if Crookshanks is any indication), cats stay in their owners' dormitory. Ok, for the cats I can see having a carrier for traveling to/from Hogwarts; but you could send your owl ahead so they can meet you there.
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:31 pm

With freshly grown brussels sprouts, it is usually necessary to remove the looser outer leaves. Often this is done before they reach the shops these days, but perhaps Mrs Weasleys' sprouts came straight from the garden.

That is a good point about the owl cages. When you're already struggling with a heavy trunk, why add anything unnecessary? If you sent the owls on ahead, perhaps they wouldn't realise they were supposed to stay there, especially if their owner was taking them to Hogwarts for the first time.  Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 1242326132 
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 Empty Owls and toads

Post  Hieronymus Graubart Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:05 pm

But – but Trevor isn’t an owl, nor is he a cat! He is a person and I love him so much Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 2752390508

Serious now: Is it even possible to send an Owl anywhere if she doesn’t carry a letter to a person who is there? Maybe the students don’t want to bother their teachers, or Argus Filch, or Madame Pince, with unnecessary letters? Since obviously nobody else does it, Harry and Ron never considered that Hagrid might actually be happy to receive letters announcing their arrival.

Hieronymus Graubart
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:23 pm

Well, they may need their owls any time during the journey - in certain situations, they might actually want to send a message. But there may also be students who send their owls ahead, only we don't know about them.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:30 pm

We can try to tackle this problem, too: 

"My Great Uncle Algie got it for me in Assyria." (Neville speaking about the Mimbulus Mimbletonia.)

Is Great Uncle Algie a time-traveller? (That would be exciting.) Or is it just Neville'sStill Unanswered Questions - Page 6 464751818 ) defective knowledge of Geography and History?
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 Empty Assyria

Post  Hieronymus Graubart Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:46 pm

I suppose that the wizarding world just never accepted every political change in the Muggle world. There are Abyssinian Shrivelfigs and a Transsylvanian National Quidditch Team, and although there isn’t spelled out evidence I’m quite sure that there is only one Ministry of Magic for all of the British Islands, although there are at least two Muggle nations – the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. Why shouldn’t there be a Magic Kingdom of Assyria?

Hieronymus Graubart
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Hm... that's interesting. Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 2752390508  Now I would like to see The Atlas of the Wizarding World!

Why don't they teach Geography at Hogwarts?  Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 3906177977
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Still Unanswered Questions - Page 6 Empty Can Dementors fly, or at least levitate?

Post  Hieronymus Graubart Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:59 pm

In the movies, they obviously do. But in the books? Not so much.

Their movement is "gliding", and apparently they always need to be in contact with the ground, otherwise Draco and company would have had a hard time pretending to be Dementors.

Actually, the Dementors need the ability to leap a short distance, like up a stair. How else would they have entered the Hogwarts Express? So they probably can also leap across a small stream, but in PA 20 we read specifically this:
Dementors, at least a hundred of them, gliding in a black mass around the lake towards them.
and in PA 21:
And there were the Dementors. They were emerging out of the darkness from every direction, gliding around the edges of the lake ... they were moving away from where Harry stood, to the opposite bank ...
Clearly, the Dementors were not able to take the short way across the lake, and I admit that it felt comfortable to know that they couldn’t just leave the island of Azkaban; they would need a boat or some other means of transportation.

But when Harry remembers during the first Occlumency lesson in OP 24:
... a hundred Dementors were closing in on him beside the dark lake ...
and later
… a hundred Dementors were drifting across the lake in the grounds towards him …
and in a later Occlumency lesson in OP 26 again:
A hundred Dementors were swooping towards Harry across the lake in the grounds ...

Are Harrys memories confused?

May the last and second to last be awkwardly written memories of time travelling Harry 2 watching the Dementors drifting / swooping towards Harry 1, who was across the lake from Harry 2?

Help me, native speakers.  affraid

Hieronymus Graubart
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6