HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DH Release Plans

Go down

DH Release Plans Empty DH Release Plans

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:51 pm

The following is an archive of material originally posted on the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum, hosted by World Crossing, which ceased operations on April 15th, 2011

Last edited by Lady Arabella on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DH Release Plans Empty Posts 1 to 25

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:53 pm

DH Release Plans

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is set to be released on July 21st. What are your plans and are you planning any kind of "release party" that other forum members could be apart of?

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 29, 2007 6:54 am (#1 of 159)

I am going to the Books-a-Million release Party in Houma La. Hubby and grand-daughter are going with me. We will all be dressed up and ready to play games, do face-painting, etc. Had a blast there for the release og HBP, so are really looking forward to this last party. See my profile for my dressing plans. I have all but my dress, it was discoutinued, but will still be in my robe, hat, dragonclaw walking stick, etc.

Denise P. - Jun 29, 2007 9:11 am (#2 of 159)

I am planning to brave the wilds of the Virginia roads to go meet Loopy Lupin at a bookstore someplace that says it is a 26 minute drive from me. This means I will need at least 2 hours to get there in time. I plan to look as normal as possible although I may wear Dobby crocs...since it is summer, I am not wearing socks but could perhaps wear two different colored Crocs instead.

Mediwitch - Jun 29, 2007 9:37 am (#3 of 159)

I am meeting up with HungarianHorntail11 and her family, and hopefully Puck and painting sheila at B&N in Farmington CT, where we'll spend the night at a hotel - reading! I will probably wear my I Solemnly Swear I Am Up To No Good/Mischief Managed t-shirt. Anyone else who wants to meet us is welcome!

painting sheila - Jun 29, 2007 10:00 am (#4 of 159)

I AM SO EXCITED!!!MEDIWITCH!!

EDIT: I Just order a "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" T-shirt for me and a 9 3/4 t-shirt for Littlest Guy.

Woot!!

Phelim Mcintyre - Jun 29, 2007 10:42 am (#5 of 159)

I am at Sectus so will be involved with whatever they are doing there.

Round Pink Spider - Jun 29, 2007 3:19 pm (#6 of 159)

I'm going to attend the local Barnes and Noble party in our area with my daughter, in costume (I'm just wearing my dress robes from last time; my daughter is going as the Gryffindor Notice Board ). After we've read for an hour or so, I'll pull myself out of the book to drive home, then spend the rest of the night wrapped in a blanket, finishing. And the following evening, I'll start reading it aloud to the rest of the family.

I also hope I get to chat with others reading the book during the night!

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jun 29, 2007 4:00 pm (#7 of 159)

I'm going to the Longmont CO Borders. I have a friend that will be working that night. I'm meeting a friend and several students will be there. I'm not dressing up. I plan on getting my book and getting out of there! LPO

Veritaserum - Jun 29, 2007 4:27 pm (#8 of 159)

I'll probably meet up with some friends at B&N in Omaha. I may wear my red cloak or something, we shall see. I usually work Saturdays, but once I'm done with that, I plan on reading the rest of the weekend!

Marie E. - Jun 29, 2007 5:02 pm (#9 of 159)

I am meeting with my Meet-Up group (hee!) for dinner at Red Robin and then we are all going to our north Borders for their party. Last time I came in third in the trivia contest so I have a score to settle. I will never, ever forget that there are 700 known Quidditch fouls.

Madam Pince - Jun 29, 2007 5:42 pm (#10 of 159)

Mediwitch, are you guys staying at the Farmington Inn? Under amenities, it lists: "Complimentary business center, video library, and hotel's resident ghost." Sounds like a great place for a Harry Potter read!

(Yes, I was looking on Expedia for flights and trains... but don't get worked up... I'm sure it would never work...)

The Borders where I reserved my copy is planning on having a Yule Ball theme (which seems kind of weird to me, but oh well...) I will most likely just run in, grab my book, and run out, then read until my eyeballs fall out of my head.

Thom Matheson - Jun 29, 2007 7:28 pm (#11 of 159)

Just the usual for me. I'll go to my fav Borders at noon get my bracelet and leave. Then come back about 10 and get in the front of the line and read something time midnight then get the heck out of there.

Mediwitch - Jun 29, 2007 7:54 pm (#12 of 159)

LOL Madam Pince, that sounds great! Actually, we're staying at a Homewood Suites. HungarianHorntail11 (Maria) recommended it! It would be SOOOO cool if you could join us!

azi - Jun 30, 2007 4:32 am (#13 of 159)

I'll be doing the usual 'get in, get out', at Waterstones. Hopefully my brother will have a car by then so he can drive me in, thus avoiding horrible people in the street.

I can't actually get the book at midnight! I'll have to ask my only HP obsessed friend whether there is anyone doing a midnight opening. Waterstones are open at midnight seemingly everywhere except the two stores which I can get to. Friend says they probably are open, it's just not on the website.

**runs to pre-order**

Edited to add I forgot it's my mother's birthday again! I have no idea how it's going to work...

freshwater - Jun 30, 2007 1:06 pm (#14 of 159)

My son --age 12-- will drive south about 2 hours to Oak Park, Illinois (north central US) for the release party planned by The Magic Tree Children's Bookstore. We attended two years ago for the release of HBP and had a fabulous time! Nearly 2 blocks of businesses participated last time, serving butterbeer and HP themed foods, decorating --and even re-naming-- their storefronts. At the nearby park they had Quidditch games, chess games with live pieces (I'll be a rook this year!), booths selling HP related goods, music and short plays on the stage. This year they arranged for a nearby children's museum to allow sleepovers for families and the bookstore will deliver DH there --or to your hotel-- after mid-night. Last year local church groups handed out bottles of water to those standing in line, and the local bakery came by giving out brownies and cookies. Even though there must have been about 60 people ahead of us in line, we got our book about 12:10 since we'd pre-ordered.

Although last time I dressed as Luna Lovegood, my blue-trimmed robes (re-cycled from graduating with my master's degree!) were too warm! This year I'll wear an HP t-shirt and shorts, with various items attached that indicated certain HP characters...cork necklace for Luna, Bertie Botts package for Ron, a pair of handknit red and green socks for Dobby, etc. A little weird, I know, but it should be fun!

If any other HP forum fans live in the Chicagoland area and plan to come, e-mail me and we'll try to meet up!

Detail Seeker - Jun 30, 2007 2:30 pm (#15 of 159)

Like Phelim, I am going to be at Sectus., get my book at midnight and read it with a hole bunch of other obsessed people. I need to finish before morning, because I will be in a panel discussion about "first reactions" afterwards. THen a bit of sleep and a thorough reading...

Madame Pomfrey - Jun 30, 2007 5:19 pm (#16 of 159)

I'm going to do what I did last time.Get book at midnight and immediately read til I'm through.Then do a reread at a more leisure pace.

Oops,forgot the Do Not Disturb sign!

Verity Weasley - Jun 30, 2007 9:30 pm (#17 of 159)

Freshwater, that sounds amazing. Here in Australia there is hardly any hype at all and no bookstores in my area have organised anything special at all. On the plus side, we get the book at 9am, so I'll head to the shop for 9 (there won't be any queues - only about a dozen people turned up at 9am for HBP), drive straight home and start reading. I'll be reading all day and will start reading it aloud to my sons that evening. Last time we had a power cut and we had to finish reading by candlelight - very spooky!

virginiaelizabeth - Jun 30, 2007 11:02 pm (#18 of 159)

I plan on heading to Barnes and Noble and plugging my ears with my iPod so that it can't be ruined for me (Britain gets it 6 hours before us so it's possible!!) and then grabbing my book and heading home to read through the night. I'm not going to dress up, probably just shorts and an t-shirt!

geauxtigers - Jun 30, 2007 11:05 pm (#19 of 159)

I'll be doing the same as Ginny! In and out as fast as possible!

Candle light is very appropriate for Harry Potter, me thinks! I might try it! After all, wizards don't need elekticitty! LOL

Eponine - Jul 1, 2007 8:32 am (#20 of 159)

I'll be picking up my copy from the Walmart just down the road. We've decided to forgo the big release party at a bookstore because we can be home in two minutes from Walmart as opposed to half an hour from any decent bookstore. I'm going to be in and out as quick as I can, and I'll stay up all night reading.

Katherine Bullock - Jul 1, 2007 10:21 am (#21 of 159)

Well, I had considered going to the downtown Barnes and Noble for their midnight thing (only about a mile from my home) on Friday. However... Saturday is my good friend's birthday and I know she's planning festivities and I thought it'd be rather mean of me to stay up all night Friday reading, which I know would make me ditch our plans for Saturday night. So I gave in yesterday and ordered the book on amazon.com. That means that I'll be spending Saturday sitting on my doorstep anxiously awaiting the postman, who will not leave a package unless someone is there to collect it.

This is actually OK with me... I like to read at a leisurely pace and don't want to rush it, especially if I'm tired. I'm sure I won't finish it Saturday before going out with my friends but that's fine. Plus it was only $18 online!

DJ Evans - Jul 1, 2007 12:53 pm (#22 of 159)

My niece & I had big plans to attend one of the book stores release parties. I've haven't been lucky enough to do so before & was quite looking forward to it for the last book. I didn't get hooked on HP till OotP came out & by then I was living in a very small town (2,200 people)...no HP hoopla what-so-ever. The closest big town to me back then was an hour away. So when HbP came out, I just paid my $2 to reserve a copy at Wal-Mart & picked it up that Saturday morning. Though I wasn't afraid of them running out, I just wanted to have "something" HP related to do, therefore the reserving of the book.

Sad to say though, from what I can find out, none of the book stores around here (nor in the next bigger town) are doing much as far as a release party goes. Unless they come up with something within the next couple of weeks, I'll probably just go reserve my copy from Wal-Mart again. ***sigh***

I really thought they all would really go out for the last book but it seems like I'm wrong. Rats!!!

Later, Deb

Lauren Redman - Jul 1, 2007 1:31 pm (#23 of 159)

I’m going to the local Borders. They are having that "grand hallows ball" Last time i went to barnes and noble, i wore a black cape that i found in my little sisters dress up box at the last min.

This year I’m dressing up as Ginny. I got my clothes today at goodwill. I’m extremely excited.

Sticky Glue - Jul 1, 2007 2:30 pm (#24 of 159)

Like Verity Weasley in Aus. There is not much hype in New Zealand either. I plan to drive 1/2 hour into town (book goes on sale at 11am here) hang around in the shop with the other dozen or so people, get the book, drive home and start reading.

I asked both bookshops in town if they could order some adult additional copies, but they wont. One even tried to tell us that they are not printing or releasing the adult copy at the same time - We just walked out and said "yeah - right"

Geber - Jul 1, 2007 4:36 pm (#25 of 159)

I'm trying to think of an easy way to get the UK version rather than the US version. I understand the Canadian version is the same as the UK, and I live in Vermont not too far from Quebec, so maybe there is an easy way.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DH Release Plans Empty Posts 26-50

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Jenniffler - Jul 1, 2007 5:16 pm (#26 of 159)

I will be going to a nearby Barnes and Noble with the only other seriously obsessed Potterphile I know for the midnight party.

Unfortunately, I can't read the book straight through as July 21 is the 7th Annual Kingwood Interfaith Quilting bee and my group is in charge if the edge binding. I was a bit conflicted as I read many other HP books hot off the presses. But I thought, would Dumbledore rather have a book or a squishy cover to snuggle under? No contest. The homeless and the families in crisis win over my selfish needs. I might bring Niffler Daughter along to read along as I pin up the binding.

Choices - Jul 1, 2007 5:20 pm (#27 of 159)

Amazon.com has a UK site I think. I ordered some golden syrup to make Treacle Tarts (it came from Ireland) from the UK Amazon. You could probably order the UK version from them.

freshwater - Jul 1, 2007 6:06 pm (#28 of 159)

Choices is right **waves to mum**. The site address for amazon books in the UK is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I've ordered the audio book from there in the past because I prefer Stephen Fry's readings to Jim Dale's.

Choices, I can't believe you got ingredients for Treacle Tart on amazon! Can you send or post the recipe? I'd love to try it!

Sticky Glue, I'm sure you can order the adult edition there...of course, then you'll be paying shipping to New Zealand....although...my recent orders from amazon.com in the U.S. have had free shipping when the subtotal exceeded $25.00.

Jenniffler, you must be a true Hufflepuff (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) to forego reading book 7 right away to sew quilt bindings! Take 100 points for you house. Helga, Albus and Pomona would be proud of you. I think having Niffler Daugher read aloud is a brilliant idea.

Viola Intonada - Jul 1, 2007 6:44 pm (#29 of 159)

I am undecided as to which release party to attend in the Cleveland area. There are two huge parties: one in Hudson (which we attended last time), and one in Pennisula. Both are expecting around 7,000 people and have a huge amount of businesses involved. We will leave before midnight and go pick my book up at Walden book store.

If anyone is interested in meeting up, let me know!

Marie E. - Jul 1, 2007 7:54 pm (#30 of 159)

It sounds like all the Borders stores are doing a Grand Hallows Ball theme. I've been thinking of dressing up like Umbridge. :evilgrin:

I'm getting the book at midnight and we have to leave at 8am to catch a plane in Denver. I'm seriously considering just staying up to read and sleeping on the plane.

Lavandula - Jul 1, 2007 7:54 pm (#31 of 159)

Viola- I would love to meet up, but the thought of dealing with 7,000 people does not sound like my cup of tea. Someone else in our area had mentioned the Borders/Barnes&Nobel in Fairlawn (can't remember which one). Do you know anything about what that store has planned? My copy has to be picked up at midnight elsewhere closer to my house.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts. I'd be thrilled to meet up with you and any other forum members!!! I'm actually more Akron/Canton located.

My daughter will be accompanying me, but we don't have costumes yet. I'm not sure if we will dress up.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 1, 2007 8:04 pm (#32 of 159)

Those of you who will be at Sectus pop in and let us know how it is going! Detail good luck on your panel. I'm sure there will be lots of bleary eyed people there.

Marie I can sympathize. I have to be in Cheyenne at 10:30 for a wedding. I'm reading all night and Mr. LPO is driving. My mom will be visiting and really wants to go to the wedding. Otherwise I wouldn't go. I love the Umbridge idea! Hope the pink cardigan isn't too hot. LPO

Marie E. - Jul 1, 2007 8:30 pm (#33 of 159)

I was just thinking about the pink cardigan, which is essential to the costume, being too hot. It's been very warm here in Colorado lately and there's bound to be very crowded in the bookstore. Hmmmm...

Jenniffler - Jul 1, 2007 9:14 pm (#34 of 159)

Marie E. Down in the Houston area our idea of "cardigan " is a summery twin set! Umbridge is me and my bunch for the movie. For the book party it will definitely be Fleur or Tonks, as I haven't decided to go posh or punk.

mona amon - Jul 2, 2007 4:16 am (#35 of 159)

Not much hype here in Chennai, India, where I live. A few of the big book stores may be planning a midnight release, but they haven't announced it yet. I've placed an order at my usual bookshop. It seems I can get it as early as 6.00 A.M, but I'm sure it will be 7.30 by the time I leave the house. Its not very far and my husband will be driving me there and back, so I should be back home reading by 8.00 A.M.

Madam Pince - Jul 2, 2007 6:01 am (#36 of 159)

I have a pinkish-rose summer suit with short sleeves that could be considered kind of Umbridge-ish, I guess. No pink cardigan, though. I think I will just wear some sort of HP tee-shirt. I have a great one with a comic strip ("Get Fuzzy") on the front that relates to HBP and is hilarious, but that would mean strangers coming up to me and reading my chest all night, which isn't so appealing.

It is called the Hallows Ball at Borders -- thanks! I knew it was some sort of ball, but couldn't think of anything except "Yule" and I knew that didn't sound right...

Katherine Bullock - Jul 2, 2007 7:43 am (#37 of 159)

Viola and Lavandula - I grew up in Stow, OH. I'd meet up with you if I was there! My only friends who are Potter-Happy like me are in Cleveland.

But alas, I now live in Maryland.

Erika Gryffindor - Jul 2, 2007 8:49 pm (#38 of 159)

Well, I did not realize there are other Connecticut Harry potter fans here Smile I live here too!

I will be driving to the midnight party at B&N (In Mass tho, it is closer than farmington) I will brace myself for the madness. I even had a special Mei Tai carrier made with Harry Potter fabric. (it's a baby carrier) YAY!

Hagsquid - Jul 3, 2007 12:56 am (#39 of 159)

I'm going to put my headphones on high volume, wait outside of the bookstore I plan to buy the book at, and sit with a sign that says "I'm deaf to the world to avoid any spoilers."

freshwater - Jul 3, 2007 8:23 am (#40 of 159)

I just read that the Mugglenet guys will be at the Oak Park, IL, celebration! They will have an interactive Q & A session about their book predicting what will happen in book 7....YAY!!! **does happy dance**

Mediwitch - Jul 3, 2007 11:47 am (#41 of 159)

Hi Erika Gryffindor! There are a couple of us Connecticut residents on here - come on over to the Chat and Greeting thread and say "hi"! Where in CT are you that it's closer to go to MA than Farmington? I'm curious, because it's closer for me to go to Great Barrington, MA, but I'm meeting other forum members so we picked a place where we all get to travel a bit.

Gina R Snape - Jul 4, 2007 2:41 pm (#42 of 159)

Here in NYC there are a lot of exciting possibilities. I am going to gather a group of fans I know and do a bit of party hopping. The Barnes & Noble on Union Square has Jim Dale reading and hopefully loads of activities like last time. They had a 'fat lady' in her portrait who was a very funny drag queen, and people dressed up as characters milling about, and Trelawney look-alikes reading tarot cards. After I take part in what I can there, I'm heading off to Scholastic in SoHo. Last time they turned Mercer St. into Diagon Alley. This time they will have similar activity booths, and you can get a picture of yourself on the book cover. Heeee. Afterwards I'm heading to a small local bookstore to buy my book. They will have fortune tellers, a DJ, drinks, dancing, costume contests etc. I will, of course, be dressed in my slytherin finest.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 4, 2007 7:39 pm (#43 of 159)

Wow Gina you have some night planned. I hope you can find time to read the book! That is really neat that there is so much going on.

I'm glad we have this thread. Last time there was a web site devoted to parties. It was fun to read about world wide events. LPO

painting sheila - Jul 4, 2007 8:50 pm (#44 of 159)

Gina - It sounds like a blast - take pictures and share!

Finn BV - Jul 4, 2007 9:55 pm (#45 of 159)

Gina, if you feel like crashing yet another NYC party, I'll be at the Columbus Circle Borders with the same LitChat group that was featured on MTV, and they're  also having a Grand Hallows Ball. However, rather than dressing up in the heat of the summer, I'll just be in my Harry and the Potters T-shirt.

Gina R Snape - Jul 5, 2007 7:33 am (#46 of 159)

Oooh, Finn. A ball? How lovely. Do you know what time it starts? It's quite far from the downtown stuff, but might be worth stopping by depending on the timing.

I forgot to mention, after I buy the book I'll be rushing home with my friend Madelyn who will be in town from SF just for "HP Season" We plan to light candles, open a bottle of elf made wine and read the first few chapters together.

painting sheila - Jul 5, 2007 8:04 am (#47 of 159)

Finn - where did you get your Harry and the Potters t-shirt?

Esther Rose - Jul 5, 2007 10:23 am (#48 of 159)

Hmmm. Well, a friend and I will be going Hogwarts Square and visit "Hogwarts Yard" and listen to "Harry and the Potters", "Draco and the Malfoys" and the "Hungarian Horntails". (Celestina must have had another engagement that day.) We'll take a trip down Diagon Ally and enjoy a couple of butterbeers while we are there. It should be wicked fun!

I wasn't going to get dressed up for it but since Cambridge Massachusetts (In Harvard Square! Its the perfect backdrop!) is making such a big deal out of it. Why not?!! Oh, I can't wait!!

vball man - Jul 5, 2007 10:30 am (#49 of 159)

I am going to be Hagrid.

I've almost finished sewing the pants. Out-seam is 63 inches. Waist 60 inches.

I'm normally 6'6". But with my dry-wall stilts, I will be 8 feet tall.

I've got a huge bushy hair and beard to cover my normally red hair.

Oh- yes and a giant trench-coat and flowery pink umbrella and I should be ready to go...

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 5, 2007 12:45 pm (#50 of 159)

Vball man take pictures! What a great sounding costume. LPO
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DH Release Plans Empty Posts 51-75

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Finn BV - Jul 5, 2007 7:00 pm (#51 of 159)

Gina, it starts at 9:30. See this press release -- there's a Poter spelling bee, a Snape debate (not that that would interest you), and a crowning of a king and queen of the ball.

Sheila -- hehe, I got my shirt when Harry and the Potters came to perform at my school, silly! See article. I have a photo of me with them, too. Anyway, I'm not sure where you can get the shirts now… maybe through the Cauldron Shop at Leaky?

painting sheila - Jul 5, 2007 10:02 pm (#52 of 159)

I ordered their first 3 cd's - and emailed about a shirt. Hopefully . . . .!

Gina R Snape - Jul 6, 2007 6:52 am (#53 of 159)

Thanks for the link, Finn!

Well I definitely want to be downtown for the release because I live downtown, but I will mention this to my friends and see if they want to start out there perhaps. Looks like fun!

Eponine - Jul 6, 2007 6:57 am (#54 of 159)

I have a Harry and the Potters t-shirt. I might wear it when we go pick up the books, but we're not going to a big release party, so probably not. Last time we made shirts to wear, but we're not going to do anything like that this time.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 6, 2007 3:01 pm (#55 of 159)

Nice Avatar Gina. LPO

Herm oh ninny - Jul 7, 2007 1:29 pm (#56 of 159)

Hi all! On that Friday my sisters and I are going to go to the Barnes and Noble's in Clifton, NJ. We got our copies of HBP there last time and they were very organized. We were numbers 310, 311, and 312, but once midnight hit it only took us about 10 minutes to get our books. We are going to go to the store early in the afternoon to get our numbers, have dinner at the Red Robin which is next to the book store, and then go to the store at about 8 for the party. They had lots of fun activities last time. I even won the trivia contest! (my prize was 3 bags of Bertie Botts beans, some packets of HP stickers, and a package of cockroach clusters!)

Marè - Jul 7, 2007 3:45 pm (#57 of 159)

Oh, I'm jeaulous of all the fun things! There is absolutely nothing to do here. I will just be getting my book when the shop opens (9 AM) get to my parents (because I am hoping the weather will turn from unending rain to some sun and I can enjoy their garden), try to explain to my mother that this will not be a social weekend for me, and read the book before any-one, anywhere can give me a spoiler. Smile

freshwater - Jul 7, 2007 7:40 pm (#58 of 159)

Those sound like nice plans to me, Mare. Just invest in some Bertie Bott's Beans, some good chocolate to get you through the sad parts, maybe a CD of the OotP soundtrack, and chill some pumpkin juice. That's about as social as any of the rest of us will be once the book is in our hands!

geauxtigers - Jul 7, 2007 9:01 pm (#59 of 159)

I have a question. For those of you who have attended a Barnes and Noble release party, do you go to the store and get a bracelet/armband/ticket with a number that tells you when you can get your book?

painting sheila - Jul 8, 2007 5:55 am (#60 of 159)

geauxtigers - Yes. They give you a wrist band that has a number on it. Once you have the numbered band, you are free to move around the store. Until then - you have to stay in line or lose your place. (At least that is how they do it here)

Hagsquid - Jul 8, 2007 6:04 am (#61 of 159)

Hopefully the same will hold true for here; I would shudder at the idea of having to stand in line all night. ^^

Denise P. - Jul 8, 2007 6:19 am (#62 of 159)

I have gone to Books A Million for the last two books. I paid for my book in advance so when the store opened the lines (at about 11:45) there was a line for people who already paid and had their Hogwarts Express ticket and then a line for those who did not pay..the books were already bagged. Once it was midnight, we zipped through the line fairly quickly. I was through and out the door in about 15 minutes.

This year, I am meeting Loopy Lupin at a B&N and will get an armband. My book is already reserved but you don't pay until you pick it up.

Anna L. Black - Jul 8, 2007 10:52 am (#63 of 159)

I'm not attending anything either, unfortunately My book will be delivered straight to my parents' house, but it'll only be on Sunday, so I'm "missing" a whole day of reading. But I'm hoping to finish it by Sunday evening, so that I can join the discussions as soon as I can

Thom Matheson - Jul 8, 2007 7:13 pm (#64 of 159)

At my Borders they bracelet you throughout the day, they are different colors for each 100. You then line up and run through the registers, they have 10. It goes fairly quickly. For HBP I was #4. For Goblet I was #11 and for OoP I was #75. I was out before 12:10 each time. They are very well organized that I could tell.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 8, 2007 8:50 pm (#65 of 159)

My Borders was very well organized also. We got numbers when we went to the store the day of the party. LPO

Madam Pince - Jul 9, 2007 5:24 am (#66 of 159)

Did the Borders give you bracelets numbered in the order that you arrived at the store on release day, or according to when you pre-ordered?

Thom Matheson - Jul 9, 2007 7:03 am (#67 of 159)

When you showed up. Each batch of 100 were issued a different color bracelet. Then you lined up. There was no 1 thru 100, just the colors.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 9, 2007 7:42 am (#68 of 159)

Ours gave us cards with numbers on them when we arrived at the store the evening of the release. Then they called 1-50, 51-100 ect. It went very quickly. We were 210 and got out of there by 12:15. LPO

Marie E. - Jul 9, 2007 8:03 am (#69 of 159)

Last time our Borders gave us tickets with numbers printed on them. I was #44. They were serving 1-50 downstairs and 50-100 upstairs so my friend who had #75 got her book before me. I heard they are passing out numbers again this year, starting at 10am, but I don't know if it's tickets or bracelets.

Madam Pince - Jul 9, 2007 9:11 am (#70 of 159)

Sounds like I'd better call my store. I pre-ordered rather late, but maybe I can redeem myself by getting there early to get a ticket/bracelet/whatever. Thanks for the info, guys!

Ponine - Jul 9, 2007 6:19 pm (#71 of 159)

Denise and Gina- Love your avatars!!

I caved and ordered my book online like the last two, but I am pretty heartbroken about missing the last HP party....Sad I might still go if I can find one in this Harryforsaken country, but alas, I have my doubts. The headphones was a super idea though! Hugs from the lurker Ponine who REALLY should be working on her thesis right now.

Thom Matheson - Jul 10, 2007 8:07 am (#72 of 159)

FYI, Just got a flash message from Borders that they are going to be giving away 3 foot long posters as well as wands at the DH party.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 10, 2007 8:33 am (#73 of 159)

Wow Thom. I'm going to check my Borders and see what they are giving away. I would love a poster to put in my library at school. LPO

Thom Matheson - Jul 10, 2007 10:12 am (#74 of 159)

If not I'll send you mine. I don't collect memorabilia

wynnleaf - Jul 12, 2007 12:21 pm (#75 of 159)

Out here in Kansas I'll be gathering up I think 4 of the kids (maybe 5), plus at least one friend, and driving 30 miles to the nearest Release Party at a local bookstore. We'll pick up several copies of the book and head home to read the rest of the night. Once we all finally finish and crash in our beds to sleep, my husband will be up to watch the pre-schooler and start reading as well. Hopefully, everyone but the 4 year old will be finished by Saturday night.

Then start discussing and re-reading of course!
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DH Release Plans Empty Posts 76 to 100

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:56 pm

legolas returns - Jul 12, 2007 1:10 pm (#76 of 159)

Thank goodness for the forum. Its hard to have a discussion with yourself after you have read the book when you have a household of one.

I shall spend the sat reading from cover to cover. The phone will be off and all groceries will be purchased in advance. On sunday I will have another read through. I always make sure I have read it twice. It sinks in better.

Allison R - Jul 12, 2007 1:21 pm (#77 of 159)

We're going to go to a local Borders store and attend their release party, then come home with the book just after midnight.

I've already pulled rank and declared that I get to read it first at my house (we can only afford one copy). I have offered to read it out loud if my daughter doesn't want to wait, but so far she's being adamant about wanting to read it for herself once I am through. (How I miss those marathon bedtime reading sessions when she was younger!! We had SO much fun making our way through the first four books together...)

Lavandula - Jul 12, 2007 6:54 pm (#78 of 159)

This is exactly why I started purchasing two copies of the book ages ago when Darling Daughter wouldn't wait for me to finish. Some things are just a little more important than $20-30.

Darling Daughter and I are planning our first trip ever to the nearest Borders (40 minutes by car) to pick up our copies at midnight. We usually wait for them to arrive by post the next day. But seeing that this is our last chance to experience a party.

We plan on wearing our new HP t-shirts. Mine is "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" and my daughter's is "Dumbledore's Army".

Choices - Jul 13, 2007 10:50 am (#79 of 159)

Yes, I am going to help out by picking up my books also. There are just not that many post owls in the world to deliver them to all the HP fans. LOL It would be my luck to get a little Pigwidgeon type owl and he would collapse under the weight of the books before he got to my house.

Allison R - Jul 13, 2007 11:57 am (#80 of 159)

Wouldn't it be awful to be a rabid HP fan and work for one of those delivery services and not be able to get Friday the 21st off work?? Can you imagine having to drive all around delivering books to other people when all you want in the world is to be able to sit and read uninterrupted for yourself??

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 13, 2007 11:59 am (#81 of 159)

Thanks Thom. I checked with my Borders and they are doing a Hallows ball also. They say there are giveaways but they don't say what. I may take you up on the offer!

Lavandula where did you get a Dumbledore's Army shirt?? I want to get one.

Thank goodness for the forum. I agree Legolas. My husband won't read the book fast enough to talk about it. I have a friend that will. But I love the thought when I finish the book there will be people to talk to immediately. LPO

wynnleaf - Jul 13, 2007 12:26 pm (#82 of 159)

By the way, I know there must be guidelines about discussions on the Forum after DH comes out. Where are they? Is the Forum going to close for a couple of days?

Anna L. Black - Jul 13, 2007 12:30 pm (#83 of 159)

If I remember correctly, when HBP came out we had a special SPOILER-folder, which had discussions about the book in general, and about every chapter in it. I think that the rest of the forum stayed spoiler-free at first.

But I guess a host can give a much more accurate answer than me...

-*Just a week left!!*

Denise P. - Jul 13, 2007 12:32 pm (#84 of 159)

wynnleaf, Kip has not posted the specifics yet but I would imagine it will follow the same pattern as the last two books. The Forum will be shut down to *posting only* for a short period of time (you can still read posts) and then it will be opened, discussion on ANYTHING DH related limited to a specific set of threads. This will be clearly marked as containing spoilers so there is no mistaking if you go there, things will be being discussed.

Our hosts are very good and quick about catching anything that could be a spoiler and clearing it or moving it to the correct spot. We usually can get it quickly but mistakes can happen since we are just people. If someone is concerned about being spoiled, I would plan to avoid the Forum until you finish the book.

As I said, this has not been formalized yet but this is how it was handled previously and worked out quite well.

Gina R Snape - Jul 13, 2007 12:38 pm (#85 of 159)

Denise, I love your avatar!

I'm trying to decide for the release whether to wear my slytherin outfit or a t-shirt that says "That's Mrs. Snape To You" which a friend made up for me.

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 13, 2007 2:47 pm (#86 of 159)

LOL Gina what a tough choice!

Wynnleaf for HBP everything went real well. Kip's message as to where to post was very obvious. The hosts did a fabulous job of saving people from spoilers. It was such a relief to come to the Forum and post right away. No worries mate! LPO

Elanor - Jul 14, 2007 12:04 am (#87 of 159)

I may be the one who will travel the farthest for getting the book since my DH copy is reserved for me in... Southern California! **beaming**

Next Friday morning (France time), I'll be at the Lyon St Exupery Airport on my way to L.A.!

I arrive there in the early afternoon (California time) for a long-awaited reunion with a fellow forumer and at midnight we will be at the bookstore and then ready to read all night!

No jet lag in sight: midnight will still be 9 am for my inner clock!

Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 14, 2007 3:04 am (#88 of 159)

For those unable to make it to the UK or any Harry Potter release party do try and get onto the weblink for the J K Rowling reading. Details are on the BBC Newsround page (children's news programme so family friendly). The link is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Chemyst - Jul 14, 2007 11:06 am (#89 of 159)

Thanks, Phelim;
 and Audrey! How wonderful for you! I hope you have a wonderful time.
***briefly considers resetting the body clock***

Lavandula - Jul 14, 2007 2:57 pm (#90 of 159)

LPO- I went online to WB.com (the website for the Harry Potter movies) and went to OoTP and then to HP merchandise. It's quite easy. I'm sure you will be able to figure it out.

I purchased on a Friday and received my package on Tuesday without paying the additional shipping fee for speedy delivery.

Caius Iulius - Jul 15, 2007 11:24 am (#91 of 159)

At release time (R-day? ) I will be at my local book store attending a Potter party. The are giving away free copies. About 1 in 10 gets a free copy. Last time I missed out of the free copies. Perhaps better luck this year???

Anyway, only six more days...!!!

Choices - Jul 15, 2007 2:40 pm (#92 of 159)

I went to Books-a-Million today and paid for three books. I got my vouchers and 3 "free" HP book reading lights. It is purple with a gold lightning bolt on it. You can clip it on your shirt pocket so it shines on your book. :-) Books-a-Million is selling the book for $20.99. Amazon.com is asking $17.99. Is that about what everyone is paying around the country? Is the price different in Europe?

painting sheila - Jul 15, 2007 3:11 pm (#93 of 159)

Okay - I am heart sick here. The wonderful plans to get up with fellow forumners fell through when I realized I would not have the help I needed to be able to leave a production I am working on.

I just checked the extended weather forecast and it looks like the performances will be rained out at least two of the nights.(sigh)

I guess I will just have to sit on my Weasley couch and watch the rain by myself. (sniff sniff)

Yes, I am having a Pity Party for Sheila moment.

legolas returns - Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm (#94 of 159)

((HUGS)) You can always post on the forum instead.

Choices - Jul 15, 2007 3:13 pm (#95 of 159)

Sending cheering charms your way, Sheila. {{{hugs}}}

painting sheila - Jul 15, 2007 3:27 pm (#96 of 159)

Yes legolas returns. Thank goodness I have the Lexicon!

If my electricity goes off or if I lose internet connection I will know I have been jinxed!

Thank you for the hugs Choices. The Pity Party is almost over with for today.

Herm oh ninny - Jul 15, 2007 4:19 pm (#97 of 159)

LPO- if there is a Hot Topic near you, they have a whole selection of HP merchandise. I went there today and I bought a Gryffindor T-shirt, a Hogwarts crest T-shirt,a Hogwarts crest key chain, a wand pen, a black Hogwarts tote bag, and a gray Hogwarts messenger bag (yes, I know I went a little crazy ). They had the Dumbledore's army T-shirts there to.

Mediwitch - Jul 15, 2007 4:47 pm (#98 of 159)

((((Sheila)))) What a bummer! I'll send you an email and we'll call you - or you can call us, OK?

Jenniffler - Jul 15, 2007 10:56 pm (#99 of 159)

Sheila, it sounds like you need an Advance Guard to come and deliver you to the party. My plan is to go locally and be the biggest Potterphile in the store. *waves nose around snobbily* It's always good to have a contingency plan (or two.)

Good luck with your Plan A!

azi - Jul 16, 2007 2:50 am (#100 of 159)

Choices, the general price in the UK for DH is £8.99. Only one retailer is selling it for more that I've seen (Borders, at £11.99). £8.99 works out just over US$18.

I've refined my HP collection plans. Train times will leave me 20 minutes to get to the bookshop and back before the train leaves again. All being well, I'll be back home before 10am (I have to walk a mile or so from the station - I bet I'll be running ).

**hugs** Shelia!
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DH Release Plans Empty Posts 101 to 125

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:57 pm

sstabeler - Jul 16, 2007 12:23 pm (#101 of 159)

I';ll be receiving it when I get up, and reading straight through it, in all likelihood. then re-read the whole series as one.

azi - Jul 16, 2007 12:30 pm (#102 of 159)

Oooo, I just had a change of plan! I'm actually getting the book at midnight! **jumps happily**

I will be going to a friend's house on Friday night - she lives literally 2 minutes from Waterstones. We're going to make HP t-shirts using those crayon dyes which you iron on. The only problem was that the store I'd pre-ordered at couldn't just transfer the pre-order over so I got a full refund and gave the money to my friend. My main worry now is that the whole idea could go wrong! **is nervous**

Very happy though.

Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 16, 2007 1:46 pm (#103 of 159)

Do I queue or get mine first thing on Saturday morning? Whats more important DH or sleep?

Steve Newton - Jul 16, 2007 2:12 pm (#104 of 159)

My son and I are going to rest up to be ready for the delivery and start reading right away. Then we will argue with my wife about attending the party that we have been invited to. Great fun. After we lose we will both take our books to the party and read them there.

legolas returns - Jul 16, 2007 2:12 pm (#105 of 159)

If you slept then you would be fresh and able to fully concentrate on the book. You would not feel rubbish for the rest of the week. You would not need to pay for a taxi home.

Alternatively you could get to the end of the book first if you queued up. You could have fun in the queue and meet like minded people.

I know whats more important for me. Amazon delivered my previous book around 7am and I was wide awake and felt great. I did not feel that I missed out.

Molly Fox - Jul 16, 2007 8:48 pm (#106 of 159)

I'm in Richmond, VA, US. Planning on partying (dinner and a movie- HP5 with those who appreciate it) with friends, waiting in line at Creatures & Crooks- but I did already buy the book...

Molly Fox - Jul 16, 2007 8:49 pm (#107 of 159)

And then reading till the wee hours (sleep optional)

Molly Fox - Jul 16, 2007 8:50 pm (#108 of 159)

till it's D.O.N.E. Then it's back here for discussion time...

CatBailey - Jul 17, 2007 4:52 am (#109 of 159)

I'm really torn! I'm performing in a show that night, so I'll be busy until about 10:30 (It's "The Secret Garden", though, which is a pretty beautiful show to put me in the mood for reading), and probably can't get to a release party until nearly 11:00. Part of me really wants to go, because I've never gone to one - but I don't want to go and get spoiled for the last book! (Note to self - earplugs / headphones a must.)

I think even if I just end up going by Kroger and getting it (that's what I've done the past two times - they only had about 25 people in line and were offering it for 40% off), I'm going to dress up. I'm thinking about either dying my hair bubblegum pink and going as Tonks (I'm wigged in the show, thankfully), but as a brunette who already owns a lot of black and whose hair will look a hot frizzy mess after being in pincurls for 3 1/2 hours, Bellatrix is looking like a more likely option.

Gina R Snape - Jul 17, 2007 6:45 am (#110 of 159)

Phelim, I thought you were getting yours at Sectus.

Clearly, the book is waaaaaaaaaaaay more important than sleep!

Ludicrous Patents Office - Jul 17, 2007 8:37 am (#111 of 159)

I love getting the book then reading all night. It is so peaceful and quiet. No interruptions. I can do a reread feeling fresh starting on Sunday. LPO

2BMcsmom - Jul 17, 2007 10:18 am (#112 of 159)

As of this morning, the plan is to go to Wal-Mart to get DH at mid-night. My sons girlfriend will be with me. After getting the book, we will go to the newspaper building to pick up papers for delivery. We will be able to read until our papers are ready. We should be back home from paper route around 5:30am. We will read all day. When I have finished the book I will start reading to my hubby.

All the parties sound wonderful. Enjoy!

TwinklingBlueEyes - Jul 17, 2007 10:34 am (#113 of 159)

We should be back home from paper route around 5:30am. We will read all day. When I have finished the book I will start reading to my hubby.

Hmm, does sleep enter into this equation anywhere?

Thom Matheson - Jul 17, 2007 10:45 am (#114 of 159)

Sleep? Surely you jest.

legolas returns - Jul 17, 2007 10:47 am (#115 of 159)

Sleep is for Tortoises

freshwater - Jul 17, 2007 11:25 am (#116 of 159)

As Warren Nelson of the Big Top Chautaucqua Tent Show in Washburn, WI, says, "You'll be dead for million, billions and zillions of years...why not stay up late tonight?"

Thom Matheson - Jul 17, 2007 11:31 am (#117 of 159)

As Nightingale said, "You might as well just get in the coffin and wait".

freshwater - Jul 17, 2007 1:50 pm (#118 of 159)

Hmmmm....didn't expect a nightingale to be so bleak.

Caius Iulius - Jul 17, 2007 2:12 pm (#119 of 159)

Choices, the price of Deathly Hallows is 17.99 euro.

xray - Jul 17, 2007 2:32 pm (#120 of 159)

I'll be heading off to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (near Gatlinburg) to meet up with about 30 other OBHWF friends from around the world. I'm so looking forward to it!

Finn BV - Jul 17, 2007 2:46 pm (#121 of 159)

Yeah, guys, really -- this is the last book. The last time we will EVER have a chance to enjoy the release of a Harry Potter book! I'm taking my chances by going to a release party, especially a big one in the middle of midtown of the biggest city in the U.S., sure, but I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get out of there fast enough to miss any stupid spoilery people. And honestly, sleep? I've got to get started right away, and even though last time for HBP I fell asleep at 3AM or so, it was worth it. I got up at 9 and continued right away. (Although last night I had this nightmare that I kept on falling asleep while reading DH and I just could not finish the book -- eek! ) Anyway, if you still have a choice, definitely go with the no sleep option!

Phelim Mcintyre - Jul 17, 2007 2:54 pm (#122 of 159)

Gina - I missed out ordering my book through Sectus and ordered it through Waterstones in Picadilly. Now Sectus have ordered extra copies to make sure everyone who wants one gets one. But as I have two on order (one of each UK cover) its easier to stay with Waterstones who want me to attend their party as a major HP fan. But as I have ME and arthritis waiting in a long queue and being up all night is not a good idea. But then I need to have finished the book by midday on Saturday to sit on a panel at Sectus about DH.

Thom Matheson - Jul 17, 2007 3:03 pm (#123 of 159)

Freshwater, Earl Nightingale is a positive thinking motivational speaker. He would say to half empty people, to just get in and wait rather than to go out and make changes yourself. Sorry about that. For those that know Earl and the "Power of Positive Thinking", types that is a pat line.

2BMcsmom - Jul 17, 2007 6:57 pm (#124 of 159)

TBE, I have given up on real sleep. Since we started the paper route I get 2 to 4 hours sleep most days. I am getting use to it. Plus Hubby and oldest son will be running the route on Sunday morning. The difficult part for me will be putting DH down long enough to run the route.

I will be too excited to know what happens in the book to want to sleep.

Janine Barnett - Jul 17, 2007 8:16 pm (#125 of 159)

I'm taking my 3 children to the local bookstore, from whom I've pre-purchased the book. I'm not sure exactly what they have planned, as there really hasn't been too much hype here in Australia, but at least we can get the book at 9:01 am! So I'll be able to read all day and into the night....can't wait!
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DH Release Plans Empty Posts 126 to 159

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Regan of Gong - Jul 18, 2007 1:21 am (#126 of 159)

Shame you're on the Sunshine Coast, Janine. We're down in Wollongong, and me and a friend will be there at 7:30am sharp. Hopefully the mall will be open. Otherwise we might go to Macca's for a bit. We might go to Macca's anyway...

Chemyst - Jul 18, 2007 5:44 am (#127 of 159)

Macca's is McDonald's? Of the Golden Arches? ...I love Google.

Soul Mate for Sirius - Jul 18, 2007 12:45 pm (#128 of 159)

Hey everyone! I'm planning on going to our local Borders where I pre-ordered my book with my fiance and two of our potty friends. Like all the other Borders, they're having a "Hallow's Ball" theme. I'm wearing an old prom dress with a cloak over it and my hair all teased out like Hermione and my fiance's dressing up as Sirius from the OotP movie (Dress slacks, vest, velvet jacket, etc.) I'm really excited. Fiance's still finishing up HBP (he kind of stopped reading the books for awhile, but after dragging him to see OotP two nights in a row, he's regained his desire to finish before Saturday!!) I'm planning on heading straight home afterwards to read all the way through and then torment my fiance since he reads WAY slower than me and will need to borrow my copy!

Lavandula & Viola Intonada (and any other forumers in the Cleveland area): Where is everyone else in NE Ohio headed? We'll be at the Broders in Westlake at Crocker Park, if anyone else is going to be there, we'd love to meet up!!

-Jenn

journeymom - Jul 18, 2007 2:29 pm (#129 of 159)

Chemyst, anybody tell you how totally cool your avatar is?

Allison R - Jul 18, 2007 2:41 pm (#130 of 159)

I called Borders today to verify that everything was in order with my pre-order for the book and ::gasp:: they cannot find me in their system!! They have added me to a list of people who get their books after all the pre-order stuff and assured me that they will have plenty, but I'm still disappointed. The gal suggested I pick up a wristband early in the day and said she will make a note that they flubbed up my pre-order and put me high on the list and suggested that I come to the pre-release party. Um, yeah, I'm helping to run the pre-release party!

Oh, the shame, the shame!!

I made and printed out badges for us all to wear to the part that have a large circle with a line through it (the "not allowed" symbol) and put "SPOILERS" in the circle in large letters (as in "no spoilers allowed!!). I printed out one for me and both girls asked for one of their own after they saw it. I printed one out for hubby too-- I figure he'll want one as well!

Regan of Gong - Jul 18, 2007 7:13 pm (#131 of 159)

Yes, Macca's is McDonalds, commonly referred to in Australia as Macca's. Large groups of fast food outlets on the one road are commonly referred to as Cholestrol Corners.

I really don't have anything to wear, nor do I think I'd wear it if I did. I reckon I'd be a lot less self-conscious at 12 at night than 9 in the morning.

Denise P. - Jul 18, 2007 7:26 pm (#132 of 159)

I like spoilers, I always have but I am also one who reads the last few pages of a book first. If I managed to find a copy of the book on my doorstep, wrapped in plain brown wrapper with block lettering, I would read it but I certainly would not run into the bookstore loudly proclaiming "Hedwig is really Lily!! Dumbledore is not dead! Both Harry and Voldemort die in a spell gone horribly wrong!" just to spoil people. That is just uncalled for. Some people like to read the plot unfold with no clue.

Even though I read the last part first, there is still loads for me to gasp at.

Lavandula - Jul 18, 2007 7:43 pm (#133 of 159)

Soul Mate for Sirius- Since I am leaving for vacation Saturday morning and my daughter has a six mile run at 9:00 am, we plan on just going to the Border's in Canton at the Strip. I would absolutely love to meet up with you at Crocker Park (Our family lives up there), but I'm almost 2 hours away from there and have the next day dilemma.

I will be at the Strip in Canton for any of the other local forumers. Daughter is wearing her DA shirt and I'm wearing my "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good/Mischief Managed" shirt. We will leave as soon as we get the book so that daughter can get some sleep before her run, but I will of course be up as long as possible reading.

Gina R Snape - Jul 18, 2007 9:19 pm (#134 of 159)

Phelim, it seems to me you should do what will be the easiest for you, considering your pain management issues. Waterstons will, I'm sure, survive if you don't make it there.

Finn, I might make it to the Border's Ball for a short while as it turns out. No guarantees, but I'll look out for you if I do manage to stop by there.

John Bumbledore - Jul 18, 2007 10:39 pm (#135 of 159)

Some people like to read the plot unfold with no clue. — Denise P.
Oh, I've never had much of that. Must be why spoilers don't bother me either. I'm always figuring the plot out a chapter or two ahead of what I'm reading (Like an inner Trelawney) unless it is a fast paced novel like Matthew Reiley's. Perhaps it is because I am an Analyst by profession. I found both Dan Brown's DaVinci and A&D as predictable as if I had previously read the books.

Am I the only one that took Robert Langdon first look at the "diamond" to a mirror to read it? Then I read that he couldn't make any sense of the brand. I actually vocalized my disbelief in the character.

And of course Jo has Snape conducting mental abuse upon Harry right under Dumbledores nose. Sometimes I get angry at DD for not dismissing Snape or for being complacent with Harry's poor treatment. Other times I think if Snape is able to hide that from DD then he could hide anything from the headmaster.

I'm not going to a release. When my book arrives, I just plan to lock myself in my room with the book and turn the stereo up so my children can't hear me yell at Snape, DD, and Jo for the abuse they heap on Harry. Then I remind myself the Harry is just a character in a book.

Jo's quite a good author, she is able to gets me emotionally involved in the mistreatment of a fictional character.

I plan to have some butterbeer around, but I only need one bottle. I am much like a house elf in that regard. LOL
<)B^D˜

Regan of Gong - Jul 19, 2007 1:25 am (#136 of 159)

I thought the diamond was exceedingly obvious as well. Angels and Demons was far better than the Da Vinci code though.

Verity Weasley - Jul 19, 2007 4:14 am (#137 of 159)

As a fellow Australian I agree with you Regan that I would feel a lot less self-conscious dressed up at midnight than at 9am. However, this the last time we will ever have this chance so I'm throwing caution to the winds and showing up at my local Big W in dress robes, accompanied by my two sons, also in full school robes.

Finn BV - Jul 19, 2007 3:12 pm (#138 of 159)

Gina, as it turns out, we're going to start out down in SoHo at the Scholastic thing, and work our way up to Borders. Timing will probably be 6:30–9 or so downtown and then 9:30-12 at Columbus Circle. But we're grabbing pizza beforehand to dicuss theories for the VERY LAST TIME, so that's quite tentative.

Molly Fox - Jul 19, 2007 4:44 pm (#139 of 159)

Seriously... I don't know if I can take the anticipation.... 1 DAY 4 HOURS 16 MINUTES as of this posting... AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viola Intonada - Jul 19, 2007 5:17 pm (#140 of 159)

Jenn, We are headed to Peninsula for the big release party there. I am picking up Eldest from Girl Scout Camp on the other side of Toledo, so won't make it to any party until 8 or 9pm. Hubby reserved a copy for my at the Great Northern Waldens. I'm dressing up my daughters but will probably wear my gathering shirt from PoA. Hubby will dress as a muggle.

Do you have to have a book reserved at Borders in order to get one there?

Molly Fox - Jul 19, 2007 6:23 pm (#141 of 159)

And now I must add... I'm going to see OOP in IMAX @ 3pm Friday.... A whole day devoted to HP. It's the last one we ever get... enjoy!

Martha S - Jul 20, 2007 5:56 am (#142 of 159)

My sister just called to tell me that people were waking up after spending Thursday night in front of the Borders in Frederick, MD. Some were in costume.

Mrs Brisbee - Jul 20, 2007 6:06 am (#143 of 159)

My sister just called to tell me that people were waking up after spending Thursday night in front of the Borders in Frederick, MD.

Now, that's dedication!

My plans are a bit lackluster. I promised my friend I would babysit for her tonight (Friday night). She usually does for me, so I'm happy to return the favor. If all goes well, on my way home I will be driving by my bookstore, which will be open until 1 a.m. for us Harry Potter fans, which means I'll get the book tonight and won't have to go out for it tomorrow. Instead, I can get up early, sit out on my porch with a cup of coffee and start reading. Yay!

legolas returns - Jul 20, 2007 12:01 pm (#144 of 159)

Some people have been waiting in London since Wednesday. They must be cold/wet/miserable by now.

Anna L. Black - Jul 20, 2007 2:30 pm (#145 of 159)

I have to say that I'm starting to envy the people who will get the book in.... what, an hour and a half? I'm now regretting my decision to receive it at home on Sunday morning, rather than going out tonight, or at least tomorrow, to the nearest open book store... But hey, what can be more fun that having the book delivered straight into my hands, without moving from the couch?

Have fun, everybody who's going out there to get it!

EDIT: I just checked the site where I ordered my book, and the status of my order is "Shipped to the client's house"! I still won't be getting it before Sunday, but - SQUEEEEE!

Madam Pince - Jul 20, 2007 2:34 pm (#146 of 159)

OK, out the door as we have errands to run first before going to the bookstore party.

I can feel adrenaline flowing and I actually think I am hyper-ventilating a little. This is absurd...

ACK! Everyone have fun tonight!

Soul Mate for Sirius - Jul 20, 2007 5:23 pm (#147 of 159)

Viola - I don't know if you're going to read this before tonight, as it's already 8:15pm here, but no...you don't have to have a book on reserve to go to the ball @ Border's. If you do see this in time, and can make it there, I'll be in a black cocktail dress and my fiance will be dressed as Sirius (complete with facial hair and wig!!) in a long black leather jacket. I wish I had something more stand-outish I could wear so you'd know it was me, but I don't!! Maybe I'll see you there!!

To all those going to release parties tonight, HAVE FUN!!!

-Jenn

DH Release Plans 1933885729   [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Finn BV - Jul 21, 2007 9:35 pm (#148 of 159)

Well… I called it. I won the spelling bee at the Grand Hallows Ball. The words weren't very hard: I had 'Gilderoy', 'Diagon', 'Horcruxes' (though I was tempted to spell 'Horcri' ), and 'Sonorus'. For Sonorus, it came down to the last two people; the other girl spelled it 'Sonorous' and then the guy started to crown me champion as the whole audience said, "He has to spell it first!" It was funny; I wasn't sure before she spelled it, but as she eliminated my other guess, I had it, and won. The prizes were 4 tickets to a Fantasy exhibit at the Museum of Natural History, as well as Gryffindor scarf and hat! They also took a zillion photos of me as I walked off stage. There were news cameras (i.e. video cameras) too, and they asked for my name. Who knows, maybe I'll be on TV for spelling 'Sonorus'!

(There were two hard words in the whole thing, which came as a complete surprise as I didn't think they'd venture out this far; thankfully I didn't get them though I did know how to spell them. "Tergeo", which was funny as it cropped up twice or thrice in DH, and "Cliodna", a Famous Witch Card from PS. The hard part about Cliodna was that the official pronounciation is 'CLEEV-na', not 'cle-OD-na', as I thought, so people didn't know what it was.)

The Scholastic "Harry Potter Place" was fun, but there wasn't much to do except talk with people while waiting on line, marvel at the Whomping Willow, and put your thoughts up on the "Muggle Board". Oh, and pose with the author-signed copy of DH! There was wand-making and tattoos and stuff, but…

vball man - Jul 26, 2007 6:59 am (#149 of 159)

Well, I won the first book in my local Barnes & Noble with my Hagrid costume.

With the dry-wall stilts, I was a little over 8' tall. It was great fun.

Can I post a picture on here?

Madam Pince - Jul 26, 2007 8:00 am (#150 of 159)

If you can't, I'm leaving! I've been dying to see your Hagrid outfit! I can't believe you walked around on stilts all night!

Our night at the release party was fun -- Little Pince held together remarkably well. The only downside was the actual selling of the book -- everything dissolved into chaos at midnight and you could tell they'd put more effort into planning/organizing the "party" stuff than they did into the actual "selling" process. They did not allow any pre-paying, and they had no staff out on the floor directing people which lines to get into -- well, there was one, but she was completely lost and sending people to the wrong places -- I stood in the wrong line for probably 20 minutes before I figured it out. Didn't get out of the store until 1:30, which was pretty awful.

The costumes were fun. There was an excellent Dobby (a little kid with the nose and ears and everything); a middle-aged couple carrying around/standing behind a picture frame with black cloth behind them -- they were Lily and James in the mirror; some pretty good Trelawneys; two very good Snapes (one of whom was a female who really had the haughty facial expression down pat; the other was a very very tall, ominous, and intimidating man with truly a curtain of hair and a big hooked nose); an excellent McGonnagal with a perfect feathered hat and the green velvet robe (which I totally wanted to snatch off of her and run with it...); but for us the best was Moaning Myrtle -- she looked almost exactly like movie Myrtle, had robes and pale make-up on, and was wearing a toilet seat around her neck. Little Pince thought that was the most hilarious thing he'd ever seen -- he cracked up and pointed and giggled every time we passed her in the store.

We won lots of raffle tickets for correctly answering trivia questions (I let Little P answer them, and he got them all right!), but we didn't actually win anything with the tickets. The "Great Snape Debate" was pretty much a flop -- just a bunch of giggling fan-girls who were flirting with the tall-ominous-Snape-guy by saying things like "Well, he's awesome, and anybody who says he's not is just a doody-headed muggle!" They had a "Snitch Walk" for the little kids which was sort of a musical chairs thing, and the winners got a "Golden Snitch" which was some kind of round chocolate candy in a gold wrapper. It was a very fun evening -- lots of good ideas for future HP parties.

vball man - Jul 26, 2007 12:10 pm (#151 of 159)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Finn BV - Jul 26, 2007 3:17 pm (#152 of 159)

Oh yeah -- the winners of our costume ball were a Lucius Malfoy and a Rita Skeeter, and they were absolutely perfect. Lucius had the creepy look down pat (even when they were taking photos of them together, he looked at Rita in disgust ). The kid winners were an incredible Trelawney (she must have been about 7 -- and she was decked out in scarves and shawls and huge glasses!) and a pretty normal costume for Harry, but everybody thought he was enormously cute so they all clapped for him.

I agree, the Snape Debate was a little messed up, but not because they called up giggling little girls, but because they put 15- and 16-year-olds who knew what they were talking about as pro Snape, and a bunch of 8-year-olds against Snape. So the arguments for Snape were very well thought out (Snape must have loved Lily, the "revulsion" and "hatred" on his face killing Dumbledore which were the same as Harry's expression in the cave, etc.), and the against Snape were basically "Then why is Snaps [yes, one little kid said 'Snaps'] so mean to Harry Potter?" and "He gave Harry and Ron detention all the time!" There was one person who knew what she was talking about, and made a point about the Unbreakable Vow. Needless to say, the Snape is Good crowd won.

vball man, with that costume, I would have written a letter of complaint if you hadn't won something! Now that's dedication!!

MoaningMyrtle101 - Jul 27, 2007 1:36 pm (#153 of 159)

Oh, man, Madam Pince, I can't believe there was another one!! Despite having flaming-red hair I naturally resisted the temptation to go as Ginny for the sake of originality, and instead my friend Marlette went all-out with a lot of pale makeup and I made a pretty passable Myrtle (but I didn't really look like the movie, again because of the hair). I had a toilet seat, too, and fake tears coming down my cheeks. I thought I'd be the only one to think of that.

At least I can be reasonably confident that Marlette's costume was absolutely original. Not to mention obscure. She wore grass-stained jeans, put flowers in her hair, pinned seed packets to her shirt, and took her gardening trowel. No one got it; everyone was thinking she was trying to be Professor Sprout. She was supposed to be the Winner of the All-England Best-Kept Suburban Lawn Competition.

But neither of us won; I think they were trying to cater to the kids for the most part. I had a cheering section of people I didn't even know when it came down to judging (MYRTLE! MYRTLE!!! MYRTLE!!!) but in the end the costume prize went to a little Luna with real radishes dangling from her ears. Marlette and I did at least manage to win the trivia contest, although we messed up one question -- forgot the name of the assistant at Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, Verity.

Gina R Snape - Jul 28, 2007 8:15 am (#154 of 159)

Finn, I went up to Borders for a bit but it was so disorganized I didn't stay. I didn't like the fact that they weren't letting people into the tent who didn't have a wristband. I thought a saw you--were you wearing a bluish green t-shirt? But it was from far away.

Anyway, earlier in the day while running errands, I went down to SoHo with a friend of mine and we shot a 20 second video on the knight bus. Here it is!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Finn BV - Jul 28, 2007 10:37 am (#155 of 159)

Nope, sorry, Gina, I was wearing my Gryffindor Harry and the Potters t-shirt – red and gold. Yeah, it was really crowded and the organization wasn't great. I didn't understand why they wouldn't let people into the tent without a wristband either -- there were some mothers who weren't buying the book, and thus without wristbands, who were trying to get to their kids who were in the tent, but they weren't allowed in…

I tried to get on the Knight Bus, too, but it closed at 6, so I missed it. It did make a stop at Borders though, and I have a photo in front of it.

freshwater - Jul 29, 2007 11:08 pm (#156 of 159)

vball man, that is a fabulous Hagrid costume! You definitely deserved to win!

The party in Oak Park, IL was great fun. I was a white rook in one of the human chess matches, and ended up being part of the checkmate! My 13 year old son participated in the Quidditch matches. We'd forgotten to bring our own broom, so I intended to ask the hotel where we stayed if we could borrow one...but as we were waiting for the elevator, I spied one leaning against the wall next to a cleaning cart and snagged it. My son was horrified! I think that made it all the more fun for him! We did return it unscathed....and unexplained!

While walking to the park for the quidditch match, my son said, "Mom, everyone is staring at you for carrying that broom." As I glanced around at the crowds on the sidewalks in various wizarding costume, I had to respond, "Look at these people...they all know exactly why I'm carrying this broom!" And later, two different young boys complimented me on my fine broom! LOL!

Emerson and Ben from the mugglenet site spoke for about 90 min.,and even the standing in line for the book was fun as everyone around was crazy about HP and willing to chat and trade predictions.

I wore a Countdown to Midnight t-shirt sold for the event, as well as a necklace of bottlecaps, in honor of Luna, that several people commented on, which was fun. I hung on the necklace a replica of one of the socks Dobby had knitted for Harry: red with broomsticks on it....NOBODY noticed it at all! After struggling with knitting that sock for about 3 weeks I have an entirely new appreciation for Dobby's devotion to Harry.

Here's hoping that JKR really does publish an HP encyclopedia some day, and we can all do the release party thing again!

haymoni - Jul 31, 2007 6:27 pm (#157 of 159)

Well, we were on vacation in Hilton Head. We were leaving early Saturday morning, so I couldn't stay up late Friday for the party that Barnes & Noble was having and I couldn't wait until 9:00 am for them to open the next day.

I looked for a Walmart or something from the highway, but couldn't talk Hubby into stopping - "We're making great time!!!"

In the end, we stopped at a Walmart close to the house - picked up milk, bread and DH. I graciously allowed Ungrateful Son to read the book on the way home.

I, of course, seized the book once we were unpacked and read it as quickly as I could.

My son still hasn't finished it. He's killing me!

vball man - Aug 31, 2007 10:39 pm (#158 of 159)
Edited by Denise P. Sep 1, 2007 6:51 am

Edit: There was an embedded video here from YouTube. We are a family friendly site and while a particular video may be okay, YouTube is not. If you would like to see the video that was here, you can search YouTube.

Me as Hagrid for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was the title, made by user sivertm

Thanks in advance. Denise P.

painting sheila - Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm (#159 of 159)

I put off reading this thread because I was so jealous of every one and their parties.

Thanks for sharing everything here with those of us who couldn't go play this time!

It sounded like a blast!

She
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

DH Release Plans Empty Re: DH Release Plans

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down