HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blaise Zabini

Go down

Blaise Zabini Empty Blaise Zabini

Post  Elanor Wed May 04, 2011 1:31 am

Blaise Zabini

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011.- Elanor

Gregory welch - Feb 14, 2005 6:32 pm
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 2:22 am
I think that this slytherin will play a part,however large or small in the next two books. I went on to a name meaning website to look up some information for another thread and decided to look up his name as well. Strangely enough Blaise means "to stammer or stutter". When i read this it realley made me laugh. Do you think this means that Blaise will have a stuttering problem like old professor Quirrel? Feel free to post any idea's or comments.

Last edited by Elanor on Sat May 07, 2011 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Blaise Zabini Empty Blaise Zabini (Post 1 to 50)

Post  Elanor Wed May 04, 2011 1:32 am

Choices - Feb 15, 2005 6:58 pm (#1 of 111)
*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
I recall some discussion about Blaise on another thread and I don't think we ever figured out for sure whether Blaise was male or female.

- - - - - - - - - - -
I Am Used Vlad - Feb 15, 2005 7:04 pm (#2 of 111)

I Am Almighty!
There was a lengthy debate about Blaise's gender at one time, Choices, but JKR has confirmed that he is male.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Feb 15, 2005 7:11 pm (#3 of 111)

Thanks Vlad - I'm glad to know that the gender question is settled....male it is! I'm making a note of that.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Eponine - Feb 15, 2005 7:38 pm (#4 of 111)

I would like to make a note that his name is Zabini, not Zambini.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Feb 16, 2005 10:46 am (#5 of 111)

I would like to make a note that his name is Zabini, not Zambini. -- Eponine

Right, so we can assume, I think, that it is not likely Blaise's family are circus performers.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Feb 16, 2005 11:04 am (#6 of 111)

Ravenclaw Pony
Okay, the last name has been fixed

- - - - - - - - - - -
KWeldon - Feb 16, 2005 12:09 pm (#7 of 111)

so we can assume, I think, that it is not likely Blaise's family are circus performers

Don't be so sure, Loopy. There's no canon evidence to say that they are not. Besides, how awesome would a circus of wizards and witches be?

I don't know how much we can speculate on a character that all we know about is his name and house.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Gregory welch - Feb 16, 2005 1:13 pm (#8 of 111)

Perhaps we should keep this thread around. I think after July 16 2005 we'll have a lot more to write about both Blaise and Theodore.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Loopy Lupin - Feb 16, 2005 3:24 pm (#9 of 111)

Well, I do hope we see more of Mr. Zabini. "Blaise" is too fabulous a name to waste.

- - - - - - - - - - -
timrew - Feb 16, 2005 4:36 pm (#10 of 111)

Middle-aged Harry Potter fan
Enter 'The Flying Zabinis'. They fly without the use of a safety net - or even a trapeze. They just fly!

- - - - - - - - - - -
Madame Librarian - Feb 16, 2005 6:54 pm (#11 of 111)

Are they related to the Gliding Zambonis? You know, that family that got famous on ice.

Gaaaa!

Ciao. Barb

- - - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Feb 16, 2005 8:34 pm (#12 of 111)

Ravenclaw Pony
Since this is veering wildly off, I can safely assume that the discussion of Mr. Zabini is complete and this thread may be closed?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Feb 16, 2005 9:46 pm (#13 of 111)

Back in business
Well, I'm sure there will be loads of stuff to speculate after July 16th, but right now, all we know is he's a Slytherin boy, we'll see more of him in the next few books and there's still no Zabini among the DE.

The question main question is for what reason will we see more of him. He's not the Theastral seer boy, he doesn't seem that close to the Death Nibblers yet, and have not been mentionned for 4 books. Not much clues about him.

So better close that thread, we all know it will get deleted before July.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Phelim Mcintyre - Feb 17, 2005 2:55 am (#14 of 111)

How about moving these posts over to the Other Hogwarts Students Thread, so we can keep them there?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Kip Carter - Feb 17, 2005 5:41 am (#15 of 111)

co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!
Withstanding the two joke references to the Zabini name, I am willing to take a chance on placing this thread in the Student folder and see what happens. If the thread discussion can stay on track, let's see if it can acquire enough posts to keep it alfloat until Book 6 is released. The decision is now in the members' court. Sometimes the resources for keeping a discussion that apparently has no future is changed by some enterprising poster.

And I like the name too. I just cannot think that JKR will create such a neat name to have it drift off into obscurity. Then again...

- - - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Feb 17, 2005 6:40 am (#16 of 111)

Ravenclaw Pony
My post was tongue in cheek to get it back on discussion Worked better than saying "Get back on topic", didn't it?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Feb 17, 2005 9:45 am (#17 of 111)

Back in business
My last post was a "prove me wrong" type of post, I reviewed all the informations we have about him, and what can be speculate about. I don't have much energy to spend on the forum these days, but I know there a lot to talk about on this thread.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Czarina II - Feb 17, 2005 12:14 pm (#18 of 111)

It is interesting that Blaise Zabini doesn't hang out with Draco and co. Even Theodore Nott is seen with them in the library in OoP, although he is not present with them at any other time. By contrast, Zabini is only mentioned in passing throughout the books. Does anyone have the books and time handy to dig out a few quotes?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Feb 17, 2005 2:42 pm (#19 of 111)

Ravenclaw Pony
* S/PS "Well done, Ron, excellent," said Percy Weasley Pompously across Harry as "Zabini, Blaise," was made a Slytherin. Professor McGonagall rolled up her scroll and took the Sorting Hat away."

Is he the only sorted Slytherin we don't know more about? I know there are several other mentioned characters, from sorting, that we have not seen before. Is it because Blaise is a Slytherin that we are so convinced he will be someone to watch?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Muggle Doctor - Feb 17, 2005 2:52 pm (#20 of 111)

The funniest thing was to visit a website full of romantic (and more than romantic, if you get my drift) HP fics and to see them sorted or catalogued as:

Other character/Blaise Zabini (male)

Other character/Blaise Zabini (female)

And I thought of the authors of the Zabini (female) fics: "I bet you're feeling a right bunch of nitwits now!" (to echo the words of the great Rowan Atkinson as he impersonates the Prince of Darkness).

Those seeking clues to his/her gender could have looked at the French mathematician Blaise Pascal, who was male. In fairness to them, given that people in the Wizarding World don't have the most usual names, it could still have been either M or F (until JKR told us for sure). And there are other characters who were sorted and who we have not heard of since, even in a minor role. Given how little we know of Mr Zabini (has anyone on this board actually found anything about him except that he exists?), it may be better to forget about him.

- - - - - - - - - - -
GryffEndora - Feb 17, 2005 6:55 pm (#21 of 111)

Our heads could do with filling with some interesting stuff, for now they're bare and full of air, dead flies and bits of fluff
"Q: It has recently been confirmed that Blaise Zabini is in fact a male character. Will we see more of him in the next few books?" "JKR: That’s correct. You do." August 2004 Edinburg Book Festival

This quote is the reason I think we are speculating about Mr. Zabini. Unfortunately I don't think we have much to go on, Male, Slytherin, not Crabbe or Goyle. Not known member of Inquisitorial Squad, not known member of Malfoy's gang. Unknown bloodline, unknown feelings about DE. I think we can speculate all we like but there simply is no evidence anywhere to support any predictions at this point.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Robert Dierken - Feb 17, 2005 8:21 pm (#22 of 111)

Given that Harry Houdini used that name because he aspired to be like Robert Houdin, does that mean that Blaise Zabini aspires to be like a wizard named Zabin?

- - - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Feb 18, 2005 5:47 am (#23 of 111)

Honestly, I never gave Blaise much thought. I just figured JKR wanted a name beginning with Z to mark the end of the list of children to be sorted. She started with A, ended with Z.

With her mention that we'll see more of him, though, I'm curious. After being sorted there's no mention of him at all, right? How much more could he have to do with the story? If he turns out to be the HBP I'll be quite annoyed.

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Feb 18, 2005 8:50 pm (#24 of 111)

I am hoping for some interesting Slytherins to get a bit of face time in the next book. Note I said interesting; Draco has face time, all right, but as far as I'm concerned he's a bit of a Johnny-one-note thus far. He hates Harry and is jealous of his fame; he is condescending and snotty to Ron because the Weasleys are poor AND they like Harry; and he just plain hates Hermione because she is not only Muggle-born and has pretty much bested him at everything we've seen her do thus far, but she, too, is Harry's friend. The garGoyles pretty much do what Draco tells them to do, so IMO they are flat characters. Thus far, I have not seen any dimension to Pansy, Millie, or Warrington, either.

I am certainly hoping that Theo and Blaise will bring some needed depth to the one-dimensional Slytherins. I admit it is only my opinion that they are one-dimensional, too--others may find the current crop of Slytherins fascinating--so no dungbombs, please.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Feb 19, 2005 7:49 am (#25 of 111)

I absolutely agree with you, Solitaire, we need a more complex Slytherin character who isn't just "evil". And frankly I do believe Blaise has the potential to be that character (together with Nott or some of the other barely mentioned Slytherins), for some reasons:

-His father, rather suspiciously in my opinion, hasn't been mentioned as a DE. It'd be hard, I guess, being the only male Slyherin in his year without a DE father!

-He's NEVER mentioned in the company of Draco & co., which reinforces my gut feeling that Blaise must be really ostracized by his house mates. (That applies to Theo as well, but he, being the clever, pureblood loner JKR has told us he is, is in another league and is no doubt treated with respect).

-Which brings us to the question of his blood purity. His name sounds sort of foreign (not english I mean), a french name and an italian souding surname. Maybe he's the son of an inmigrant couple? Maybe he's half-blood? Maybe he's... the HBP? somebody already said he'd be annoyed if that was the case but who knows!! I think it could be great since the HBP sounds like someone who is in the side of good.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Feb 19, 2005 10:30 am (#26 of 111)

the HBP sounds like someone who is in the side of good

Well ... generally, we have seen Harry have a sort of adversarial or "difficult" time with whomever or whatever is mentioned in the title. He nearly died trying to save the Sorcerer's Stone. He was nearly killed in the Chamber of Secrets. Until the end of the book, everyone thought the Prisoner of Azkaban was out to kill him. The Goblet of Fire nearly proved to be his undoing. The Order of the Phoenix was certainly helpful to him, but he did have his problems with them.

If Blaise is the HBP, I hope he is a positive character rather than a negative one. I would really like to see a Slytherin for whom I can root rather than boo. I agree that it seems significant that we never see Blaise with the other Slytherins of his year. Why not? We missed Goyle and Pansy recently, didn't we? Hm ... do you suppose Blaise is gathering his own forces? Could he be the one to pull the non-DE Slytherins together and join with Harry to help unify the four houses? Interesting things on which to speculate ...

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
Morgan Champion - Feb 19, 2005 2:39 pm (#27 of 111)

Same here.The only truly interesting members of Slytherin House that we've seen in the books are Snape and Voldemort.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Feb 19, 2005 4:54 pm (#28 of 111)

Correct ... unfortunately! Sad, isn't it? I wonder what that says about Slytherins in general, but I suppose that is a topic for the What makes a good Slytherin? thread ...

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Feb 19, 2005 7:49 pm (#29 of 111)

I have to agree with Muggle Doc - I think we have about exhausted Blaise Zabini for now. He lives, he's a Slytherin and he's male. Anything other than that is pure speculation. When JKR said he will turn up again, that doesn't necessarily mean he will turn out to be a major character. She may just mention his name again. Until such time as she choses to reveal more about Blaise, I think we are just beating a dead horse.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Feb 19, 2005 8:57 pm (#30 of 111)

He lives, he's a Slytherin and he's male. Anything other than that is pure speculation.

Isn't most of what we do on this forum pure speculation about what will happen next? If we stop speculating, the forum will become rather quiet. Speculating about characters like Blaise and Theo Nott gives us something new to do for a while.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Feb 19, 2005 10:01 pm (#31 of 111)

I think most of the interest in Blaise came up with the stringy Slytherin who could see the Thestrals - who could that be, is it Blaise or is it Nott?

Sorry - I didn't plan on that one!

I think we should keep the thread open. HBP is only a few months away!

- - - - - - - - - - -
wickedweasley - Feb 20, 2005 1:06 am (#32 of 111)

I think JKR confirmed that was Theodore Nott.

Yes I found the quote on her FAQ, from her website

Section: F.A.Q. Is Theodore Nott the "stringy" Slytherin mentioned in the Thestral class scene? If he isn't, who is that boy? [Mugglenet/Lexicon question]

Yes, he is. In my notes Nott is also described as ‘rabbity’ in appearance
- - - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Feb 20, 2005 9:37 am (#33 of 111)

I am certainly not suggesting that we stop "speculating", but for most of our speculation we have a little more to go on than we do with Blaise....male and Slytherin is a pretty thin foundation on which to build a theory.

- - - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Feb 20, 2005 12:28 pm (#34 of 111)

JKR's quote came out long after our speculation began.

There have to be Slytherins who come from pure-blood families who, while they may prefer the company of those like themselves, don't actually want Muggles, Muggle-borns or half-bloods or whatever hurt, maimed, tortured or killed.

We haven't heard Pansy use the "M Word" and hopefully Blaise may be a Slytherin who isn't from a DE family.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Feb 20, 2005 3:00 pm (#35 of 111)

Librarian
Speculation is fine but it is better when backed up with some solid evidence. The more canon information included the more likely the speculation is to be accepted and convince others.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Mellilot Flower. - Feb 22, 2005 12:41 pm (#36 of 111)

Pixie led
Draco is normally surrounded by the usual gang of slytherins- JKR has used that term frequently usually to describe the group when Draco is making some joke at Harry's expense, or one of Harry's close friends. It's always sounded to me like there was more than just Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, Millie and Pansy in that group - sometimes this might be the slytherin quidditch team, but at times (like care of magical creatures classes) that doesn't make sense. I think that Blaise and Nott haven't been mentioned much because they've done nothing to make themselves stand out from the crowd as yet. If there was a slytherin in Harry's year that seemed to stand apart from the crowd then the trio would have made some mention of said slytherin at some point or other...

Unless of course they are so wrapped up with their petty rivalries that they are blind to the existence of slytherins other than Draco- which is just as likely as not.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Feb 22, 2005 9:41 pm (#37 of 111)

Back in business
Choices -> He lives, he's a Slytherin and he's male. Anything other than that is pure speculation.

While it's true we have no other direct quotes about Blaise, we do have a lot of indirect quote, every time all the Slytherins, all the Slytherins in Potions, all the Slytherins in the Flying lessons do something, Blaise is describe as doing something as well (except for CoMC, we don't know if he took the subject). The same is true for Theo (+ the CoMC lessons). The only reason we don't have basis to speculate is no one compiled the data. ^_~

Anyone interested?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Feb 23, 2005 10:44 am (#38 of 111)

OK, so we do have more to go on - he's alive, he's a Slytherin, he's male and ......he attends classes. Now we can really get a fix on him. LOL

- - - - - - - - - - -
Eric Bailey - Feb 23, 2005 3:29 pm (#39 of 111)

And, he has a cool name, don't forget that. That's the main basis for his popularity with fandom. Smile

- - - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Feb 23, 2005 6:36 pm (#40 of 111)

LOL I agree Eric - he does have a cool name. :-)

- - - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Feb 24, 2005 2:04 am (#41 of 111)

Any name with a Z in it is automatically cool.

contemplates changing name to the Giant Zquid...

--Mike

- - - - - - - - - - -
Muggle Doctor - Feb 27, 2005 6:41 pm (#42 of 111)

He's male, Slytherin, living, in Harry's year, and to the best of our knowledge - IMO the only thing which really keeps the interest alive - he is NOT known to have any Death Eaters in his family. Neither do Pansy or Millicent for that matter, at least officially, but Pansy (Prefect Marcus' reasoning aside) is too close to Draco and too hostile to Gryffindors, while Millicent is just a thug (she didn't even bother to use magic in Duelling Club; just went straight for Muggle techniques).

Blaise Zabini: currently the only known Slytherin who has not openly slighted HRH(NLG) and doesn't have named Death Eater parents.

The first defector? Sounds good to me.

(I had previously favoured Theodore Nott, but his father would not be impressed, and even if he approved of his son's defection, the price he would pay for saying so is too high: remember what happened to Regulus Black when he got cold feet!)

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Feb 27, 2005 11:56 pm (#43 of 111)

Well, I'm not sure it is accurate to compare Theo with Regulus, because I believe Regulus had already joined the DEs and then tried to back out. As far as we know--unless kids are already being inducted into the DEs--Theo is too young to have made a definite commitment just yet. If he were to defect, I'd put him more in the category with Sirius, who rejected his family's "values" and opted to work against Voldemort's forces.

Having said that, I do tend to agree that we have not heard BZ mentioned in any anti-Trio activity to this point, so perhaps he is an option for defecting. Or perhaps he will prove to be the Slytherin who does not have to defect but can maintain his Slytherin-ness and still not back Voldemort. It would be nice to see some Slytherin kids do this, don't you think? Perhaps either BZ or Theo will become the rallying point for such a group.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
Muggle Doctor - Feb 28, 2005 2:24 pm (#44 of 111)

What I was getting at is that Theodore's FATHER, being a DE, cannot back out or approve of his son's defection to the DA (if it should happen) without paying a heavy price. That is why I mentioned Regulus.

I agree about the "maintaining the Slytherin-ness without backing Voldemort". The problem with all the Slytherin students we have seen so far (apart from bit parts and Quidditch players - Marcus Flint seems too stupid to work for Voldemort) is that they are either Death Nibblers or closely associated with them, and anyone who broke away from this would in effect be "defecting," even if they didn't actually join Gryffindor, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. Not every Slytherin is a Voldemort supporter, just like not every 1933-45 German was a Nazi, but proving it is difficult without actions to match the words...

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Feb 28, 2005 9:48 pm (#45 of 111)

It will be interesting to learn the fate of Nott, Sr., following the battle in the DoM. Some have suggested that he was either killed or seriously injured. That could play a role in the direction Theo ultimately decides to take. If his father has been "disabled" as a DE, Theo may possibly decide he is free to act with impunity--and I suppose he could choose either side.

I certainly agree with your assessment of Marcus Flint. I also agree that we have yet to meet any Slytherins who seem different from the Nibblers. This brings me to a question ... Can anyone tell me if the members of the Inquisitorial Squad were all 5th years? If so, why were there no 6th or 7th years?

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
Mellilot Flower. - Mar 1, 2005 1:37 am (#46 of 111)

Pixie led
"There was a commotion outside and several large Slytherins entered, each gripping Ron, Ginny, Luna - to Harry's bewilderment - Neville, who was trapped in a stronghold by Crabbe and lookied in imminent danger of suffocation. All four of them had been gagged. "'Got 'em all,' said Warrington,"

Ginny is held by an unnamed sixth year slytherin girl, it sounds as if Ron is being held by several slytherins unknown, Millicent Bulstrode is holding Hermione. Luna's captor isn't named. Montague is also named as being (very breifly) a member of the squad. Pansy Parkinson was named as one of the Sltherins to help capture the DA. I hope I've not missed anyone- but it seems to me that unless a character is in Harry's year or in the slytherin quidditch team he doesn't really know them... apart from Theo and Blaise.

I'm not sure if Theo would be in this lot "rabbity" is hardly likely to be large as well is it?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Mar 1, 2005 2:25 am (#47 of 111)

Thanks, Mellilot Flower.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Ponine - Mar 1, 2005 7:33 pm (#48 of 111)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I must admit that I haven't given good old Blaise too much thought, but with danger of weaving threads together (I know), I would just like to point out that as Godric, Rowena and Helga joined up with Salazar, Mr Slytherin could not have been ALL bad, rotten through the core, could he? And if ALL Slytherins were such nasty little boogers, a) why allow them to come to school to truly cultivate their nastiness; or b) why not just close the House of Slytherin for good?

My notion is that many Slytherins, such as Snape (that kitten) do well as adults - integrity and bubbliness aside - consistent with the traits mentioned both by the Sorting Hat and Dumbledore, they are highly motivated, innovative go-getters.

Interestingly enough, all the children we meet who come from abusive or questionable environments (Snape, Draco, Tom - even Harry was thought to be put in there originally). And this is not even considering the whole DE thing, which undoubtedly must put a damper on most family get togethers, with Voldie's shadow hanging over you, ready to aveda you if you fail...

Thus, I present to you: Blaise, a young boy, clearly from a troubled home (perhaps father was killed? Unknown? A lost king?), loner. Consider him the Harry Potter who did not dare, know or care to actually go against the Sorting Hat when sorted. Well, now he is older and wiser, and he is ready to take a stand... The Zabini Years. I need to stop now, but do I not at least have one point somewhere??

- - - - - - - - - - -
Half Blood Princess - Mar 1, 2005 8:40 pm (#49 of 111)

Ponine,

Interesting thought you got me going on. I like that idea. When I first read the post, I was like, oh come on, his name was just mentioned once just to end the "scene" and move to the next point in the story. BUT when I saw the quote from JKR's mouth that we will see him again, I kept reading the post. I really liked the ideas that were starting to form. Yours was the final post I read, and I liked it alot. Thats what got me thinking about the HBP

I had a random thought just now.... "Section: F.A.Q. Is Theodore Nott the "stringy" Slytherin mentioned in the Thestral class scene? If he isn't, who is that boy? [Mugglenet/Lexicon question] Yes, he is. In my notes Nott is also described as ‘rabbity’ in appearance"

This quote, I wonder if he is a son of Snape, being stringy and oily haired, or the son of Peter Pettigrew, who is also compared to an animal. Some rabbits have pointy faces, probably not as much as a rat... I know its way out there, but hey, we no nothing about Blaise's parents. We are just starting to learn about Snape's past. It was just that weird thought that went through my head. Probably nothing....or is it?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Mar 1, 2005 11:13 pm (#50 of 111)

Wasn't Peter with the Weasleys for 12 years, until Sirius and Remus "ratted" him out? If so, he probably didn't have any opportunity to father a child--unless it was a rat child.

Solitaire
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Blaise Zabini Empty Blaise Zabini (Post 51 to 100)

Post  Elanor Wed May 04, 2011 1:33 am

Ponine - Mar 2, 2005 5:50 am (#51 of 111)

I just became a tad lost as to whom we are talking about - T. Nott or Blaise?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Professor Dumbledore - Mar 9, 2005 12:34 pm (#52 of 111)

Blaise Zabini is the title of this thread. I muts say this is a 'forgotten character', much like sally anne perks and 'Moon'. JkR hasn't mentioned any of these characters since book 1's sorting. We are led to believe that these characters are the groups of people that spread gossip, mutter about Harry when he passes them, and join in singing 'Weasley is our king' in book 5. I doubt any of these characters will be mentioned agaian, because they haven't been in any of the other books. Another mysterious character is Daphne Greengrass, who appears in book 5 to be in Harry's year and is taking the OWLs, but isn't in the sorting in book 1.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Dumbledore - Mar 9, 2005 2:42 pm (#53 of 111)

(Albus Percival Wulfric Brian)
Professor Dumbledore, I am not sure of this, but I think JKR said that will we see more of Blaise in one of her quotes, which is why there is so much speculation about him. But trust me, I'm really not sure about that so if I'm wrong someone please let me know.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Mar 9, 2005 4:48 pm (#54 of 111)

Back in business
Here's the quote:

It has recently been confirmed that Blaise Zabini is in fact a male character. Will we see more of him in the next few books?
That’s correct. You do.

So he will be mentioned again (though I believe it will be in a Anthony Goldstein/Michael Corner kind of way, which mean not a single decent line).

- - - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Mar 12, 2005 8:22 am (#55 of 111)

Daphne Greengrass was in that famous picture of JKR's notebook which shows the list of students in Harry's year. Apparently she's a Slytherin, she was originally planned to be named Queenie (is that a real english name?) and I think she was pureblood. It's a pity the second page of the notebook isn't portrayed in the picture, so we didn't get to know Blaise Zabini's blood status, which I think could tell us a bit more about his background: imaginbe, the only male non-pureblood Slytherin student!! That must have consequences!!

- - - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Mar 12, 2005 8:43 am (#56 of 111)

Dumbledore did not speak for a moment; he looked as though he was trying to make up his mind about something. At last he said, "I am sure. I trust Severus Snape completely." (HbP, p. 549)
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, my apologies if it has, but I find the most promising thing about Blaise Zabini to be his name. His first name is pronounced "Blaze" which indicates a large fire. The other HP character that we know with a similar name decided that it was best to leave their group and join Dumbledore in an effort to do what was right and not what was "expected" of him within his group. The other character that I'm speaking of is, of course, Firenze.

I think that Jo uses Fire as a counterpoint to Voldemort's coldness. Voldemort is often described in cold terms, a cold laugh, cold fingers, and a chilling/freezing atmosphere surrounds him. Dumbledore is often described in warm terms. He has warm eyes, a warm smile, etc. Also, when Dumbledore confronts the Fake Moody it says that a "sense of power radiated from Dumbledore as though he were giving off burning heat." (GoF, p. 679, U.S.) I think that Jo uses the cold of Voldemort to contrast with the heat of Dumbledore. Therefore, I think that these two characters, named with "fiery" terms, will both join Dumbledore in the next war.

Just my thoughts, of course!
Barbie

- - - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Mar 12, 2005 10:11 am (#57 of 111)

Interesting idea Phoenix Song - you definitely could be on to something.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Mar 12, 2005 12:58 pm (#58 of 111)

Interesting that you mention Firenze and Fire ... I have always associated him with the city of Florence, but for other reasons.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
Mellilot Flower. - Mar 12, 2005 3:01 pm (#59 of 111)

Pixie led
I think it has to be the best lead I've heard about blaise in a long time, it couples what we all hope for the boy with some basis in name - but it draws on connotations that the names have rather than meanings, which is a little different from what JKR usually follows, or so I gather. Of course, it could just be her being more subtle than usual..

- - - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Mar 13, 2005 8:56 am (#60 of 111)

Dumbledore did not speak for a moment; he looked as though he was trying to make up his mind about something. At last he said, "I am sure. I trust Severus Snape completely." (HbP, p. 549)
Mellilot Flower, actually JKR uses names quite often to give information into the character's natures. Many of the characters have names that either correspond with a mythological being that are similar in their makeup or that have names with significant meaning. I believe there is a thread based on names that discuss the wide variety of associations that have been made with the names that Jo carefully chooses for her characters. We know from JKR's interviews that she is a great admirer of names. I really do feel that it was not an accident that she chose a "fiery" name for Blaise and a "fiery" name for Firenze, as I think that both of them will move to the "warmer" side of the Order. From my observations I believe that there is a definite connection present.

Barbie

- - - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Mar 13, 2005 9:10 am (#61 of 111)

Librarian
PS, I had noticed that cold is always something bad, whether Voldemort's eyes or Draco's voice. I had just started looking at the 'hot' imagery. It appears that, once again, I am running the race a day late.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Mellilot Flower. - Mar 13, 2005 10:24 am (#62 of 111)

Pixie led
Phoenix, I think you misunderstood me. I meant that when JKR uses names to hint at their character she does so mainly on concrete links, like Sirius being the dog star and Ludo Bagman meaning a game player who deals with money. The connections here are founded on what the two names sound like, rather than their meanings. This is too reliant upon individual judgement for it to be a positive deffinate connection. Does that make more sense?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Mar 13, 2005 2:15 pm (#63 of 111)

Mellilot Flower, I can see your point and I understand where you're coming from. I am basing my theory about Blaise and Firenze's names being clues partially upon the way that JKR plays with the sounds of names as well, though. Think about the name "Knockturn Alley". You don't actually get the fullest understanding of the word until you realize that she's making a play on the words to indicate that the shops on this street are geared toward those clients who are more "Nocturnally" inclined. (In other words, those wicked things that go bump in the night! ) Similarly, the street "Diagon Alley" seems to be a quaint reference to the angle of Harry's scar..."Diagonally". I think that Jo herself has acknowledge utilizing these little plays on words during her interviews.

However, I fully understand if you're not able to see the connection that I've made between Blaise Zabini and Firenze both being destined to join the Order's Cause based on these clues. It's just a thought that I had, and it's subject to being wrong.

Steve, Round Pink Spider and I have been working lately on hot and cold references, and have found some interesting connections there! (Think about how Harry is shivering and sweating at the same time when he comes into contact with Voldemort!) I think that she's going to have the next news letter out soon, and it will probably contain thoughts on the meanings for these two temperatures. It is so interesting to investigate the way that Jo uses words in running bits to glue the story together and propel it forward.

Barbie

- - - - - - - - - - -
Albus Silente - Mar 13, 2005 2:21 pm (#64 of 111)

I was able to figure out the Blaise-Blaze, but I don't see any fire in Firenze. Maybe that's maybe because in Italian it's pronounced Fee-ren-zé. In English is it Fire-nz(e)? Could anybody help me to understand?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Dr Filibuster - Mar 13, 2005 3:24 pm (#65 of 111)

Sue, from Northwich, England.
Albus, I think the connection was in the spelling FIREnze rather than the way it's pronounced.

I'm British & I say "Firenze" the way you do: although I call the Italian city Florence.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Albus Silente - Mar 13, 2005 5:17 pm (#66 of 111)

Dr Filibuster, you've got a point on the FIREnze. But as there are so many pronounce-related connections (Diagonally, Nocturnally, Blaze...) I thought it would be this. Well... we'll see (just 4 months [too many] left!)

- - - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Mar 17, 2005 1:30 pm (#67 of 111)

"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up." A.A. Milne
In C. S. Lewis's That Hideous Strength, Merlin, (the same Merlin of the King Arthur stories,) has been raised from his vault and is talking to the 20th century Pendragon of England. He says that back in his own day, he (Merlin) had heard of men who spoke with the gods, "Blaise my own Master knew a few words of that speech."

So I did a little more search and found:
"[Blaise] first appeared as Merlin’s secretary in (French) Arthurian stories around 1300. ‘Blaise’ is a gallicized form of Bleheris, which is the name of a 12th-century Welsh bard. In the 19th century, Blaise appeared as Merlin’s master, Bleys, in Alfred Tennyson’s Idylls of the King: ‘The Coming of Arthur’ II, 358–396." – footnote: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I thought it interesting that the name "Blaise" could be either Merlin's secretary or his master. It makes Rowling's Blaise even more of an enigma.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Muggle Doctor - Mar 17, 2005 2:32 pm (#68 of 111)

Blaise is also the name of Blaise Pascal, the French mathematician. This may also indicate his nature, though it's too soon (with too little info) to tell for sure.

I would also defend Firenze's name as being entirely to do with the Italian city (Anglicised to "Florence"). Significance? A seat of culture and learning in the Renaissance?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Ponine - Mar 17, 2005 7:31 pm (#69 of 111)

I know I am a little slow here, but as I was reading my OoTP today, I heard Phoenix song...discussing Firenze and Blaise... and then it just hit me - I don't think they mentioned Percy?! I mean, I have not double-checked this, but his middle name - Ignatius - wouldn't that, according to theory, indicate some promise for our hot aired-filled friend/fiend?

- - - - - - - - - - -
StareyedSlytherin - Mar 29, 2005 9:55 pm (#70 of 111)

I've always thought of Firenze in reference to Florence too. I like the idea, but it just doesn't seem to fit with the way JKR uses other characters' names to describe those characters. Although I have always thought that this character would be mentioned at some point. It seems to me that the kids in Harry's year whose names were mentioned in the sorting back in book 1 would have to be somewhat important in some later part of the series.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Blaise Zabini - May 22, 2005 5:53 pm (#71 of 111)

This is a little random, but more things that Blaise does that we DEFINITELY know he does are:

-eat -sleep -drink -walk (I'm pretty sure about that one..haven't heard of a disabled witch/wizard yet)

About that..is there any disabled witch or wizard known to be in Hogwarts?? Hm..better go look for a new thread on that...

- - - - - - - - - - -
Choices - May 22, 2005 6:52 pm (#72 of 111)

Can't think of but one....Mad Eye Moody.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jun 28, 2005 4:51 pm (#73 of 111)

Back in business
Well, I don't have anything brilliant to add, But I'd like to keep this thread alive for HbP. So, see you all on June 16th!

- - - - - - - - - - -
Finn BV - Jun 28, 2005 8:17 pm (#74 of 111)

Me kayaking, Niagara River, August 2006. I have been likened to Reepicheep in this photo.
Hmm… Tomoé, very insightful comment, I'll have to agree, but you know, I'm sure we could come up with a good Devil's advocate…

***think of something "bloody brilliant" about Blaise Zabini to add… but fails miserably***

- - - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jun 28, 2005 9:00 pm (#75 of 111)

Back in business
LOL! Let's try to recap what we no about him. First we need quotes:

‘Well done, Ron, excellent,’ said Percy pompously across Harry as ‘Zabini, Blaise’ was made a Slytherin. (PS ch.7 p.90)

It has recently been confirmed that Blaise Zabini is in fact a male character. Will we see more of him in the next few books?
That’s correct. You do. (Edinburgh Book Festival, 15 August 2004)

We also know he share his dorm with Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle and Nott, all sons of DE, but we still haven't heard of any Zabini among Voldemort's men. MGC always hang around together and Nott is a loner, so we have no idea who are his friends, if he had any. He's not the Mystery Slytherin, he wasn't made prefect, wasn't in the Inquisitorial Squad and seem to be low profile guy overall. His head of house is Snape. He should be somehow cunning and ambitious.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Weeny Owl - Jun 28, 2005 9:34 pm (#76 of 111)

Maybe his ambition is to slap the snot out of Draco and show everyone that not all Slytherins are such ninnies.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 28, 2005 9:48 pm (#77 of 111)

LOL Weeny! I love it!

- - - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jun 29, 2005 5:49 am (#78 of 111)

Back in business
I hope so Weeny Owl, I hope so. Well, in fact I always had faith in Blaise Zabini, his name sound too good to be wasted as a bad guy (I know, there's not a bit of logic in my last comment, but I just can't help it ^_~).

- - - - - - - - - - -
HungarianHorntail11 - Jun 29, 2005 10:05 am (#79 of 111)

The heart sees deeper than the eye.
LOL Weeny Owl! I needed that.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Weeny Owl - Jun 29, 2005 10:22 am (#80 of 111)

Well, after thinking about it for a while, perhaps I was projecting and *I'm* the one who wants to slap the snot out of Draco. I can only hope Blaise feels the same way I do.

I agree, Tomoe... Blaise Zabini just screams "I'm cunning and ambitious, but in a good guy way."

All joking aside, I do truly hope JKR makes him a good guy and not a Draco henchman.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jun 29, 2005 11:28 am (#81 of 111)

I think everyone is hoping Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini pan out to be more interesting than the current gang of Slytherins. Well, I know I am!

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - - -
Ponine - Jun 29, 2005 2:21 pm (#82 of 111)

Ok, I vote for Blaise falling in love with Hermione, and pursuing her beautifully. In the process, our trio is forced to realize that Slytherins too, are human (anyone says uniting of the houses?). Even Ron begrudgingly considers him to be a nice boy, but certainly not the right one for his Hermione. Thus Blaise also serves as a catalyst for Ron and Hermione finally getting together!

- - - - - - - - - - -
HungarianHorntail11 - Jun 29, 2005 4:07 pm (#83 of 111)

The heart sees deeper than the eye.
Theodore Nott seems to be separated from the other Slytherins, as everyone has pointed out. For that reason, I think Harry will be one of the first to trust him and hopefully, Blaise will be right behind him.

- - - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jun 29, 2005 5:14 pm (#84 of 111)

After Harry & Pansy have a brief fling, Blaise will be there to pick up the pieces of Pansy's broken heart.

- - - - - - - - - - -
TwinklingBlueEyes - Jun 29, 2005 11:18 pm (#85 of 111)

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking"
"After Harry & Pansy have a brief fling, Blaise will be there to pick up the pieces of Pansy's broken heart." Ship that to the ship tread please?

- - - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Jul 1, 2005 5:24 pm (#86 of 111)

TBE - I was just trying to help in the cause to keep this thread alive, gestimating at Blaise's role in the books.

He could merely be another Michael Corner.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Chemyst - Aug 4, 2005 6:15 pm (#87 of 111)

"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up." A.A. Milne
Zabini popped up quite a lot in "The Slug Club" - HBP7, so he is connected to well-known or influential people. ...turned out to have a famously beautiful witch for a mother ( from what Harry could make out, she had been married seven times, each of her husbands dying mysteriously and leaving her mounds of gold).

He chats quite a bit in Draco's compartment on the train, but the words used to describe his part of the conversation are: Indifferently, Shrugged, and Coldly. When Malfoy hints about his new DE involvement by saying that he has moved on to bigger things, we get this description of Blaize, Even Zabini had allowed a look of curiosity to mar his haughty features.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Weeny Owl - Aug 4, 2005 8:07 pm (#88 of 111)

I suspect Blaise is either already a Death Eater or will soon be one.

Malfoy isn't in Hogsmeade when Katie Bell ends up with the cursed necklace, but Blaise is. Also, Malfoy says he has more able help than Crabbe and Goyle.

I think Blaise is the one who used the Imperius Curse on Madam Rosmerta and Katie Bell, and I think he's one of Draco's allies.

- - - - - - - - - - -
wwtMask - Aug 5, 2005 5:43 am (#89 of 111)

It's possible, of course, but I'm reserving judgement on Blaise. Aside from his haughty attitude and pureblood mania (not a big surprise for a slytherin), there is little else to indicate that he has chosen a side. I'd certainly say he's shrewd and possibly clever, as it seems he caught the drift of what Malfoy was indirectly talking about and he also got the full measure of Slughorn in one meeting. His skills as a wizard are, of course, unknown, though I think he was in NEWT potions, so he can't be that bad.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Netherlandic - Aug 5, 2005 1:38 pm (#90 of 111)

Draco might have had help from Pansy instead of from Blaise.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Dattatreya Thalasseri - Aug 5, 2005 7:00 pm (#91 of 111)

I'm sure some of you fire promoters will love this...Blaise can also be Celtic for "Fire Brand". In fact, with all the stories and fanfics I write about Blaise now he is only loosely descended from his Italian ancestors.. Why? It happens, my surname is very strongly linked to Polish (being named after a ethnic food, yeah...) and I can't speak a word of the language, in fact, I'm more French and Irish than Polish.

Zabini means son of the Sabines. The Salines being the original people who lived in the 7 hills of Rome before Romulus and Remus (The historic Remus, mind you.) ever came along. When the brother(s) invited more men (READ: criminals on the run from their countries) the men needed women. So, in Roman fashion, they attacked the Sabines and carried off the women. When the Sabines retailliated years later, they found the women happily liveing with their new husbands and most well on in baby making...Well, after that history lesson...yeah.

Back to subject, Blaise is also desribed as black and having a to die for mother...(hmmm....more on that dying part later) His mother strikes me as the African parent and his father a Caucasian. This is still considered in some parts of America as morally wrong, but the story takes place in Britan and they abolished slavery long before the Americas did anyway. So she may have married her first husband to produce and heir then killed him after he served his purpose. I figure that she might follow the traditional gold-digger approach. She started marrying old men, telling them that she only wanted to be a comfort as they passed on. Old men could not give her another heir who might contest Blaise. Also, these men she might have sped their passing along with her devices.

If Blaise's father died when he was young, than most of his learned characteristics came from the one constant in his life, Mummy dearest. Let's call her an African Ice goddess, exotic and distant. Africa is fairly close to the cradle of life so the lineage there can go back very far...perhaps even the wizardly ones. So she could also be a pure blood which is why the debonair Lord Zabini fell for her.

I've always pictured the Zabini family arriving in the British Isles when the Italian renessance was on the decline and the English advancements on the rise. They fleed the inter fighting between the the Italian lords (Doge(s)?), the blood shed and the pestilence for the green prosperity of England. But that is just my guess. If I am right, they might have integrated with the society and interbred with the high families of the time. Thus the "Blaise" being indicative of english roots instead of French.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Finn BV - Aug 6, 2005 11:43 am (#92 of 111)

Me kayaking, Niagara River, August 2006. I have been likened to Reepicheep in this photo.
Oh wow, Dattatreya, that is incredible. You have done your homework! 10 points to your house!

I never pictured Blaise as being descendents of Africans, though, because isn't he described as being a pale boy? Hmm… I'll check on that one.

Edit: Erm… apparently not. Just checked the Lexicon… "Described as a "tall black boy with high cheekbones and long, slanting eyes." Blaise shares Draco's hatred of muggle-born witches and wizards (HBP7)." This could be very on target! I guess I was thinking of somebody else!

- - - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Aug 16, 2005 11:53 am (#93 of 111)

Well, so finally we know a bit more about Blaise, and, sadly, he's blood-prejudiced, vain, and apparently doesn't care about Draco doing tasks for Voldemort. To sum up: he's not good. I might post this in Theodore's thread as well, but I've been very dissapointed to find out he and Nott after all aren't the much-wanted "good Slytherins". In her last interview JKR was asked the famous question about why the Slytherin House is still allowed, and I was frankly dissapointed with her answer. She says "not all of them are evil, litterally", but the truth is that up until now we've met ONE good Slyttherin, Slughorn, and he's sort of a "half-baked good"...

After reading HBP I can't help thinking the Houses system is dangerously naive and absurd from its roots. Maybe Slughorn, had he been Slytherin Head a bit sooner in the series, could have made a positive impact in the students, but there's only one book left and who knows if Hogwarts will be open at all...

- - - - - - - - - - -
Mrs. Sirius - Aug 16, 2005 10:14 pm (#94 of 111)

Mom of 4 in serious lurker mode.
Ronan, I wouldn't be so quick to judge "only one" good Slythertin. Phineas Nigellus, I while he may be self-centered and vain, I wouldn't term him as "bad". And the more I read about the -H-BP-, I would definitely reserve calling him "not good".

But I do agree the House system is an inheritantly ly poor system for encouraging community and bringing out the good in the culture.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Maollelujah - Aug 17, 2005 5:02 pm (#95 of 111)

After reading HBP I can't help thinking the Houses system is dangerously naive and absurd from its roots. Maybe Slughorn, had he been Slytherin Head a bit sooner in the series, could have made a positive impact in the students, but there's only one book left and who knows if Hogwarts will be open at all...

He was the head when Malfoy, Snape, the Lestranges, etc... went through Hogwarts and he didn't make much of a positive impact there...

- - - - - - - - - - -
Maddest Dragon - Oct 6, 2005 8:40 pm (#96 of 111)

Phineas Nigellus, we were told in OotP, was the most unpopular Head of Hogwarts ever. Suggests he was none too nice, to say the least. I wonder if Filch was around on his watch--Phineas would have probably allowed the physical punishments Filch remembers so fondly.

- - - - - - - - - - -
sstabeler - Oct 12, 2005 2:16 pm (#97 of 111)

ithink that filch was hired sometime between Mr& Mrs weasley attending hogwarts and Harry and his fiends attending, as Mrs weasley specifically mentions in GOF that there was another caretaker in her time there, i can't remember the exact quote,but it was in reply to a question from Bill, when Bill had asked what they were doing out of their dormitory, or domitories i'm not sure of the detalis, at 1 o' clock in the morning.this would mean that filch had to have been hired by dumbledore.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Maddest Dragon - Oct 12, 2005 11:09 pm (#98 of 111)

If Dumbledore was headmaster when Arthur and Molly attended (and it seems that he was), I suspect he'd have sacked the previous caretaker over that incident. It's clear that Dumbledore doesn't allow any sort of physical punishment at Hogwarts--and Arthur "still has scars" from being punished by Ogg. What makes me think Filch has been around longer is that he reminisces about the good old days when detention could mean hanging students up in the dungeon, and, presumably, other nasty things. Now, he might have been assistant caretaker back then, and later moved up to being the caretaker.

- - - - - - - - - - -
RoseMorninStar - Oct 12, 2005 11:43 pm (#99 of 111)

I live in the Shire. It looks a lot like Wisconsin, USA
According to the Lexicon, Molly Prewitt Weasley's first year at Hogwarts was 1961. Arthur was at Hogwarts at the same time Molly was, but we do not know if they were in the same year at school. They eloped in 1968. Dumbledore began teaching (transfiguration) in 1940 and was made Headmaster in 1970.

But I don't know if any of that information helps us determine how long Filch has been at Hogwarts. Does he actually say he was allowed to torture kids?

- - - - - - - - - - -
The giant squid - Oct 13, 2005 2:57 am (#100 of 111)

Does he actually say he was allowed to torture kids?

Good eye, Rose. I don't think he specifically says he was the one doing things the "old way". It's possible he was just waxing nostalgic for things before his time (like today's teenagers' strange attraction to 70's clothing).

--Mike
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Blaise Zabini Empty Blaise Zabini (Post 101 to 111)

Post  Elanor Wed May 04, 2011 1:35 am

Finn BV - Oct 13, 2005 8:52 am (#101 of 111)
Okay, guys, so… Blaise Zabini… we're straying too far away…

- - - - - - - - - - -
Maddest Dragon - Oct 13, 2005 2:35 pm (#102 of 111)

One more thing on Filch, then back to Blaise: Filch says, "I miss the screaming." That implies he was there.

Blaise: I think he's a Slytherin extraordinaire, haughty features and all: likely a Malfoy crony, pureblooded snob, all of that. But we probably won't see him fleshed out because he's such a minor character.

- - - - - - - - - - -
wynnleaf - Oct 13, 2005 2:45 pm (#103 of 111)

I think we'll see more of Blaise. I think JKR will need some Slytherins to be part of Slytherin becoming more unified with the other houses. Well, I certianly don't think that's going to be Crabb and Goyle. While I think Draco may eventually return to the fold, I don't think Slytherins will become unified with the other houses under him as one of the student leaders. So to me it looks like Blaise is a candidate for a student leader in the Slytherins that can, under Slughorn's house guidance, form an alliance with the other houses.

That doesn't mean I expect him to become a really nice guy, of course.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Finn BV - Oct 13, 2005 6:22 pm (#104 of 111)

What I'd like to know is why everyone got so interested in him. So it was a cool name where nobody knew if he was male or female, and then somebody asked JKR if we would see him again, and she said we would! Will we wee Euan Abercrombie again? Or Rose Zeller? Or Emma Dobbs, whose house we don't know? Why Blaise?

- - - - - - - - - - -
Liessie - Oct 13, 2005 6:30 pm (#105 of 111)

I'm more interested in his mother's story!!

- - - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Oct 13, 2005 6:51 pm (#106 of 111)

Isn't "I miss the screaming." movie contamination?

Blaise has a pretty high opinion of himself. His reference to Ginny as a "blood traitor" makes me think he is a pure-blood. He could have chided her for being in Gryffindor or being friends with Harry, but instead he uses "blood traitor".

Maybe Mama Zabini is related to Mrs. Black!!!

- - - - - - - - - - -
Maddest Dragon - Oct 13, 2005 8:46 pm (#107 of 111)

Isn't "I miss the screaming." movie contamination?

No, it's also in the book (PS/SS). I re-read it not that long ago.

- - - - - - - - - - -
GeorgeIvey - Oct 19, 2005 8:01 am (#108 of 111)

Right, so we can assume, I think, that it is not likely Blaise's family are circus performers.

I was going to guess hockey players!

Oh, wait, it's not "Zamboni" either!

Pascal's first name was "Blaise".

- - - - - - - - - - -
Mediwitch - Mar 7, 2006 8:36 am (#109 of 111)

"We could have all been killed-- or worse, expelled!"
I was just listening to HBP again, and Blaise makes me think of a phonetic pun on “blasé” – according to dictionary.com , an adjective meaning:

1. Uninterested because of frequent exposure or indulgence. 2. Unconcerned; nonchalant: had a blasé attitude about housecleaning. 3. Very sophisticated.

That certainly seems to describe his attitude! I wonder if we'll see more in Blaise in book 7, or if the blasé attitude indicates he won't be important (he's not "interested"!)

- - - - - - - - - - -
TheSaint - Mar 8, 2006 3:53 pm (#110 of 111)

Excellent thought Mediwitch!

- - - - - - - - - - -
MichaelmasGal - Mar 9, 2006 2:17 pm (#111 of 111)

Blaise is part of a not well known bit of Arthurian legend as well. Here are a few descriptions of him:

Blaise is Merlin's master. His origins are obscure, but in one of the Grail writings he is a guardian of the Grail. In a sense, Blaise is the inner self of Merlin. When the mysteries are complete, Merlin reports to Blaise, who then records the details of the Quest. Truly he is the Hierophant of the mysteries of the Grail and the triple crown belongs to him.

He becomes the scribe of Merlin to whom the wizard dictated the history of the Grail.

Merlin's mother stayd with him when she was pregnant.

Thought to be Merlin's teacher. Retired to Northumberland. Sometimes referred to as a hermit.
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Blaise Zabini Empty Re: Blaise Zabini

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum