HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theodore Nott

Go down

Theodore Nott Empty Theodore Nott

Post  Elanor Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Theodore Nott

This topic serves as an archive of a thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum as hosted on World Crossing which ceased operation on April 15, 2011.- Elanor

Albus-Dumbledore - Oct 6, 2004 12:40 am
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 2:20 am
Well friends, there seem to be a lot of mysteries surrounding Theodore Nott.Firstly his father is a death eater but he doesn't joins Malfoy's gang.Also was he the stringy slytherin in The Thestral scene? And if yes whose death had he witnessed? JKR has definitely said that he has more role to play in the coming books. So he is a character who can't be ignored.Sorry for my bad english.So friends continue the discussion if you may. With love- APWB dumbledore

Index of the Theodore Nott Thread

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Elanor on Sat May 07, 2011 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Theodore Nott Empty Theodore Nott (Post 1 to 50)

Post  Elanor Thu May 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Kip Carter - Oct 5, 2004 11:48 pm (#1 of 161)
co-Host with Steve on the Lexicon Forum, but he has the final say as the Owner!
There are many posts about Theodore Nott in the thread Other students of Hogwarts and I was hestitant to allow this new thread to exist; however with some of the words given lately about Theodore by JKR, maybe it is best that this thread is given a chance to survive on its own merits. Only time will tell if this was a good decision.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ginevra-Weasley - Oct 6, 2004 12:54 am (#2 of 161)

The Dumbledore of muggles
Wow! Finally I got a thread to discuss on one of the characters who interests me most. He seems to be a little mysterious to me. Iremember JKR saying that he will play an important roles in the next books. Maybe he is related to HBP. I wonder why he didn't join Malfoy's gang although he hated Harry(remember Harry named his father a death eater)

- - - - - - - - - -
Prefect Marcus - Oct 6, 2004 1:16 am (#3 of 161)

"Anyone can cook"
Well, I wouldn't call Draco's trio a 'gang' any more than I would call H/R/H a 'gang'. Why would Ted join a group that is totally dominated by a loser like Malfoy?

Besides, look at the dynamics of the group. Malfoy lords over his two body guards. What would be Ted's reason to join? What function would he perform?

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Oct 6, 2004 2:35 am (#4 of 161)

Since his father is a widower, I would say that if he's the "Thestral-boy", he saw his mother die. I kind of like Theodore, although he hardly appeared at all so far. I hope he gets a bigger role and might join Harry and his friends in the fight against Voldie. Surely he can't be to happy, that the other Death Eaters left his injured father?

- - - - - - - - - -
Ginevra-Weasley - Oct 6, 2004 4:57 am (#5 of 161)

Hi everyone. I have done some reserch on Theodore and probably unearthed some facts.Here they are:

1)He is mentioned two times in the books. The first being the shorting ceremony in PS and the second when he conversing with Malfoy in library in OoTP.

2)His name Theodore is probably derived from "Theodicy" which means "the vindication of divine providence in view of existence of evil". Hey! maybe according to the distant meaning of his name he may not turn out to be evil and might fight Voldemort in future.

3)In the library scene in OoTP when "Goyle cracked his knuckles threateningly and Malfoy whispered something undoubtedly maleovalent to Crabbe" Theodore didn't do anything. So there nothing suggests that he disliked harry for naming his father.

4)Was he "The Stringy Slytherin boy " in the thestral scene.Remember in the library scene he is mentined as "weedy"

I hope that he comes to play a really big role in the books now. I really like him though he is only mentioned two times in the books

- - - - - - - - - -
rambkowalczyk - Oct 6, 2004 5:35 am (#6 of 161)

I doubt that he is the stringy boy in the thestral scene. I think that student is Blaise Zabini.(I might have the last named misspelled). I think JKR says both Blaise and Theodore will be in the next books.

- - - - - - - - - -
Catherine - Oct 6, 2004 5:53 am (#7 of 161)

Canon Seeker
My take on Theodore Nott's name differs a bit from Ginevra Weasley's.

Theodore: From the Greek name Theodoros, which meant "gift of god;" from Greek theos "god" and doron "gift".

What's telling, in my opinion, is his last name, "Nott." As in, "Not a gift of god." His last name seems to contradict his first name.

Way back when (and it's probably been munched since I can't find it), I speculated that Theodore's dad is the one who brought Bode the Devil's Snare in OoP. I found the juxtaposition of "Devil's Snare" and "Gift of God" to be interesting.

Also, as I posted way back on the anagram thread, Theodore Nott's name can become "He to do rotten."

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Oct 6, 2004 6:29 am (#8 of 161)

Would there be any significance if Nott might be a play on knot? Could he be in a "knot" over where to put his loyalties? He might be if he is from a DE family but doesn't really subscribe to those beliefs. Just a thought ...

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Ginevra-Weasley - Oct 6, 2004 7:01 am (#9 of 161)

Solitaire!I think you are quite right in mentioning that he doesn't seems to be on the path of his DE father. Maybe the death of his mother made him somewhat reformed or maybe he had seen the shortcomings of his father's path. I believe that there should be atleast one decent child of atleast one DE who should reform him and make him see the errors of his path. Goodluck to Thedore in this quest(if he may)

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Oct 6, 2004 7:13 am (#10 of 161)

Ginevra, I would like to believe that there are Slytherins who don't necessarily believe as their parents do. After all, it would seem from what we've read that most of the Blacks were probably Slytherins--until Sirius--wouldn't it? And in real life, plenty of kids DON'T subscribe to their parents' philosophies.

As to his hating Harry for naming his dad as a DE ... what else would Harry be expected to do if he knew? Why should Nott hate him any more than previously? I should think he would be a lot angrier at the DEs for leaving him behind.

I do not really have any actual theories about Theodore, but what if his mother had been killed in the previous war, not by Order members but by Voldemort or other DEs? It happened to Regulus Black, so it could be possible. If this were so, it could account for why he might not be as "sold out" to the pure-blood philosophy as Draco & Co., and why he "hangs back" somewhat from getting involved in their shenanigans. Just more speculation, of course ...

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Hermy-own - Oct 6, 2004 7:33 am (#11 of 161)

S.P.R.W. Vice President = Ponine
This word play has been used as evidence for Theodore being the "stringy Slytherin boy." Anyone see the link: knots and strings?

Nott could be a play on not, as Catherine says in her post.

But, if one takes no consideration of his first name, then the whole logic points to something positive for him; that is, he is nott what we expect the son of a DE to be, or, he is nott a typical Slytherin.

This tends to suggest that Theodore Nott could be the Slytherin who will rise up against Draco Malfoy et al. Along with Pansy, of course.

Hermy.

- - - - - - - - - -
rambkowalczyk - Oct 6, 2004 8:15 am (#12 of 161)

Catherine,

I am not necessarily convinced that Theodore Nott is a good slytherin either. Just because he is an independent thinker and doesn't follow Draco doesn't make him good. He could be the one behind Draco working in the background. That may be his definition of true power.

By the way good find that it might be Nott Sr who brought in the Devil's Snare.

Just because Theodore isn't the good Slytherin doesn't mean there aren't others.

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Oct 6, 2004 8:32 am (#13 of 161)

But I think it would be more poignant, if one of the good Slytherins is the son (or daughter) of a Death-Eater. And Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle are IMO hopeless cases. And we don't know about any other Death-Eater children in Slytherin.

- - - - - - - - - -
popkin - Oct 6, 2004 8:53 am (#14 of 161)

mother
We don't know much about Theodore Nott - certainly not enough to come to any important conclusions about him. He does have an interesting name, though, and all your clever comments on it might give us some insight into his character. It will be fun to find out who's right.

Other thoughts on "Nott". If it's a play on "knot", it could have either positive or negative connotations. It could be a puzzle to be unknotted. It could represent the knotting together of two different strings of thought or two bloodlines. The strings could be alike (as in an allegiance), or different (as in a compromise). Either the thoughts or the bloodlines could be tied in tandem, or oppositionally. It could be a strong knot, or a weak link. It could be an elegant, organized knot, or it could be a tangle - either could be very difficult to puzzle out. If it's a tangle, our Theodore could be very confused and even in agony. If it's an elegant knot, he could be a complex, mature character who has lived through many different circumstances, and who has come to terms with himself and his surroundings.

It it's a play on "not", then no matter what we think we've figured out about Theodore, we are "not" going to know the truth until JKR reveals it in the end.

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Oct 6, 2004 10:18 am (#15 of 161)

Notte is also italian (?) for night. That was for the connection I made with the name. Admittingly, that wouldn't bode well for Theodore being the good Slytherin either, but on the other hand, Sirius Black also had a "negative" last name and still turned out to fight for the white side. "Nott" could simply be an apt name, because of the dark family history. But Theodore is "The Gift of God" in the family and will turn out to be a good egg. Or, again as with Sirius Black, the last name could be sort of a red herring, because it is associated with the Dark Side.

- - - - - - - - - -
Jessalynn Quirky - Oct 6, 2004 2:48 pm (#16 of 161)

I do think that Theodore is the stringy boy, just because I have this gut feeling.

- - - - - - - - - -
Robert Dierken - Oct 6, 2004 7:08 pm (#17 of 161)

Admittingly, that wouldn't bode well for Theodore being the good Slytherin... -- Neville Longbottom, post #15

Bode?

- - - - - - - - - -
Forge&Gred - Oct 6, 2004 10:08 pm (#18 of 161)

we are twins & we work in ministry of mayhem
Hi friends. We will like to register our astonishment that a thread has been made on a character so minor that he is only mentioned twice in the books. To us he seems to be a no-no. JKR will be rolling in her seat laughing if she ever comes across this thread.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ozymandias - Oct 6, 2004 10:24 pm (#19 of 161)

Nothing beside remains...
Ah, but JKR likes to drop in references to soon-to-be major characters. Up until PoA, Sirius had only one passing mention, so I don't think it's too late for Nott's role to increase.

- - - - - - - - - -
Forge&Gred - Oct 6, 2004 10:42 pm (#20 of 161)

we are twins & we work in ministry of mayhem
Well Sirius came in the story because there was a need for a character like him. At that time Harry required someone like a father and then Sirus came and served the purpose. But I don't see Nott fulfilling any purpose in the story.Can you tell me any?

- - - - - - - - - -
Hermy-own - Oct 7, 2004 1:43 am (#21 of 161)

Forge and Gred,

Many have tipped Nott to be the "good" Slytherin. Some of the more recent posts on this thread outline why we should nott rule out this possibility.

Hermy.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ozymandias - Oct 8, 2004 12:00 am (#22 of 161)

Nothing beside remains...
Yes, a good Slytherin is desparately needed. Harry must learn that they are not all bad. Right now he is stereotyping people based on superficial things like their house without ever giving them a chance. If Harry is to grow up, he needs to learn not to judge people so harshly. While not the only candidate, Theodore is a definite possibility.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Oct 8, 2004 7:10 am (#23 of 161)

Ozy, is it a stereotype if all of the Slytherins we have met thus far have been "baddies"? Just asking. Snape is the closest thing we have seen to a "good" Slytherin, and even he was a DE. Yes, I realize he is a DE no longer, but he is still rather cruel and nasty to Harry and the majority of the Gryffindors we know. I agree that if we don't meet a good Slytherin soon, there will be no getting past the belief that Slytherin automatically equals evil. I am not sure that Snape's character is strong enough to redeem the entire house.

I realize that we still have Blaise Zambini and Theodore Nott who could fulfill that role, as we really do not know what their characters are just yet.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Oct 9, 2004 7:53 am (#24 of 161)

Not necessarily. JKR said that he is cleverer as Draco, he's a pureblood just like Draco and his father is a Death Eater just like Lucius. It's not a surprise that Draco considers him an equal.

I still think Theodore will be a good Slytherin. And if he's not, than at the very least he is clever enough to work behind the scenes (not joining the Inqusitorial Squad, etc.), in which case he seems at least to be an interesting villain. In any case, I hope we'll see more of him and I'm looking forward for this character.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Oct 9, 2004 12:14 pm (#25 of 161)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one fascinated by this hyper-minor character Wink I even typed the first Wikipedia definition of him using all the info we have on him (though it's been quite re-written by others). Well, one of the things that intrigues me the most about Theodore is how JKR has carefully made sure we don't know wether he's good or bad.

Think about it! In the first book he's only mentioned, in the fifth he shows again in the company of the very angry Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle... yet JKR carefully conceals the merest bit of information about Nott's attitude.

We also know he borrowed Quidditch Through The Ages from the library... So we know he's interested in Quidditch. Again a very neutral thing to know about him. Then, we have JKR site. He's clever, a loner and... that's about it. I'd say JKR's tone when she writes about him is not negative. Is it all a coincidence or is she really hiding the true nature of Theodore's personality? Can't wait to know!!

- - - - - - - - - -
mike miller - Oct 9, 2004 12:44 pm (#26 of 161)

aka The Barmy Old Codger
My interest in young Theodore is his potential. As the son of a Death Eater, he could "choose" not to follow in his father's footstep. The possibilities open wide at that point. He could be in open opposition to the Death Nibblers or he could play the Snape role within his generation.

The real question is wether we should include what JKR has given us about Theodore from her website or stay only to the books in developing our theories about Theodore.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Oct 9, 2004 1:55 pm (#27 of 161)

Back in business
I think the "Raised by a very elderly widower and Death Eater father, Theodore is a clever loner who does not feel the need to join gangs, including Malfoy's" part is pretty safe and the "we rarely see Draco talking to anybody he considers a real equal, and he is forced to see Theodore as such, because Theodore is just as pure-blooded as he is, and somewhat cleverer" part seems to be related to Draco and Theo's relationship in general, not for that particular edited out scene.

Like Mike, I'm interested in Theodore's potential, especially since Jo published her comment on her website. It was hard to get any idea about Theo before that, all we had was :

…, ‘Nott’ …, (PS p.90)

T. Nott | 22 January (QtA 1st p.)

If anything more was needed to complete Harry’s happiness, it was the reaction he got from Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle. He saw them with their heads together later that afternoon in the library; they were with a weedy-looking boy Hermione whispered was called Theodore Nott. They looked round at Harry as he browsed the shelves for the book he needed on Partial Vanishment : Goyle cracked his knuckles threateningly and Malfoy whispered something undoubtedly malevolent to Crabbe. Harry knew perfectly well why they were acting like this : he had named all their father as Death Eaters. (UK OoP p.514)

Even if there a lot of words in the third quote, all we know for sure is Theo was in the library with three Death Nibblers and an illegal interview. Harry barely noticed him, was he upset, curious, angry, nervous, calm, threatening or anything else? we have no idea. Likely not the exuberant type à la Ernie Macmillan though. A low profile Slytherin was possible.

But the two sentences I quoted above changed my mind on this character :

Raised by a very elderly widower and Death Eater father, Theodore is a clever loner who does not feel the need to join gangs, including Malfoy's.
we rarely see Draco talking to anybody he considers a real equal, and he is forced to see Theodore as such, because Theodore is just as pure-blooded as he is, and somewhat cleverer.

I was so excited when I read that, a loner who does not feel the need to join gangs (possibly a independent thinker) with a very old father and no mother except maybe in memories (very different family from Draco's), the word clever used twice in a very short text, and Draco is forced to see him as a real equal (it sounds like they don't agree on everything, that Draco would like to have a reason to discredit him but cannot). WOW!!! I'm looking forward to see more of him!

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Oct 9, 2004 2:52 pm (#28 of 161)

Librarian
Tomoé, good explanation. The first convincing evidence that he may be important.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Oct 9, 2004 4:45 pm (#29 of 161)

Nott's dad has been named a Death Eater - Did he know already? Does he feel betrayed if he didn't already know? Is he mad at Harry for making a criminal out of the only parent he has left?

There is an awful lot there, but I really don't see that any of it is good. I think Teddy is going to be another Nibbler.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Oct 9, 2004 4:53 pm (#30 of 161)

Is he mad at Harry for making a criminal out of the only parent he has left?

Well, Harry didn't actually make him a criminal. He just made it public knowledge that--as an active participant with the DEs in the DoM battle--he apparently was one.

- - - - - - - - - -
L. Evans - Oct 9, 2004 4:54 pm (#31 of 161)

I'm going to expand on what Tomoe said, and dispute some of it. The fact that J.K.R. mentioned that one scene in her Edits mostly seems to be legitimately because she really loved that little scene, not because she wanted to alert us to later revelations.

"As in the case of Dean Thomas I know far more Theodore Nott than has ever appeared in the books."

This seems to be the weak link of the argument that Theodore will be important. Because we know so very little about him, and the bit that we do know is not actually included in the books, it seems that Theodore is doomed to be just another "death-eater's sons".

However, everything else points towards a more interesting and moral future for Theodore. First, his name. Theodore seems a little teddy-bearish or "good" for an evil character. J.K.R.'a characters tend to have names that strongly reflect their characters. "Draco", "Lucius", "Severus", "Igor", "Vincent"... and "Theodore"? Something doesn't match up. To me, at least, "Theodore" is a name reflective of a good character.

"...a clever loner..."

Next, Theodore is a clever person. Clever people can either go to ways. They can go down the Tom Riddle path or they can be clever in such a way that allows them to see what is "right" and what is not. They may not actively fight evil, but can, through their cleverness, manage to evade being mixed up in it and having to carry out any of the nastiness.

In this case, even if Theodore is almost at the very heart of the Death Eaters and whether he becomes involved with them or not, he has the chance to wriggle his way out of the blame or any dirty work.

"...a stringy Slytherin boy standing just behind Goyle was watching the horse eating with an expression of great distaste on his face..."

I am also under the opinion that this is Theodore Nott. If it is, this is the most convincing evidence or Theodore's importance, or relative importance. If Hagrid had merely mentioned his name, saying "Theodore" or "Nott" we would immediately go skipping through our minds looking for more on Nott. However, not mentioning his name has a stronger effect. Who could see them? we think. And why? It is always important, this dealings-with-death thing. Both Neville and Harry share something that involves death and in this class it is them and random kid number four (could be Theodore) who can see the thestrals. Coincidence?

Theodore may not play an important or decisive point but it is my opinion that he will not become an active member of the Death Eaters, whether it is a moral or strategic decision. Also, I believe that, if it was he who could see the thestrals, that that knowledge of death will play a role in his decision not to get involved.

Sorry about the length.

Edit: "Is he mad at Harry for making a criminal out of the only parent he has left?" - haymoni

I think that this isn't going to play too large a role. If Theodore is as intelligent as we are told, he would predict that, eventually, his father's dastardly deeds were going to be exposed. Theodore probably watched with satisfaction that his prediction had been fulfilled. He wouldn't be happy about it but it would be completely inevitable. He is probably watching Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy with the same interest, like gerbils or mice. As long as he isn't involved he continues to watch quite happily.
- - - - - - - - - -
Albus-Dumbledore - Oct 9, 2004 11:19 pm (#32 of 161)

You shall not harm Harry Potter
Hi friends. After a long time I have visited this thread which has been incidently created by me. Nice of Kip to allow this thread to exist. I myself wasn't quite sure about it's relevance at first;but now after seeing so many posts on Theodore I am glad that I took that decision.

Well I see that so many of you have analyzed the probable meaning of his name. Do anyone of you think that Nott could mean "Naughty". Just a stray idea.

Also,personally I think that Theodore is a good Slytherin, and that if he is not yet he will become good in the near future.Well someone needs to redeem Slytherin in our eyes. Otherwise Slytherins will just remain a bunch of horrible,mean,cunning and power hungry People.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Oct 10, 2004 5:05 am (#33 of 161)

I was just thinking how what we know about Theodore's father, the DE called Nott, can tell us something about Theodore himself. In the graveyard scene, LV tells him he expects he'll do better this time, implying Nott wasn't a very deft Death Eater... It is also mentioned how Nott was behind Goyle's shadow... the same way the unnamed Thestral-seeing Slytherin was behind Goyle in the infamous OotP scene. Is this hinting something? In Ootp, Nott is badly injured and abandoned by the other DEs. Could this be a source of resent from Theodore towards the other Death Nibblers? Maybe he secretly hates Malfoy?

- - - - - - - - - -
SarcasticGinny - Oct 10, 2004 12:49 pm (#34 of 161)

Ronan, I also thought that whether Teddy Nott is "thestral boy" or not, that he might have some beef with Draco if he ever finds out about his father being left behind in the DOM. Yes it was Harry's gang that smashed the shelves and hurt Nott Sr. to begin with, but it sounded like someone was going to help Nott before being ordered by Lucius to leave him behind.

Then again, maybe Theodore doesn't even like his dad that much. Still, I REALLY want to know more about a Slytherin that doesn't slobber all over Draco in admiration!

- - - - - - - - - -
Detail Seeker - Oct 10, 2004 2:25 pm (#35 of 161)

Quod tempus non sanat, sanat ferrum,... so prepare
On the other hand, Nott Jr. might keep his distance to Malfoy Jr., because he sees, that he is not an effective person to help the idological cause of many a Death Eater - to keep up the true wizarding culture, as perceived by the old wizarding nobility. Maybe he sees Malfoy Jr. as the weakling, he is and stays away from him because of that. We do not know, we have not been told, but so there is as much proof for this as for the idea, that Nott Jr. might become a "good" Slytherin. We will see

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Oct 12, 2004 1:49 am (#36 of 161)

Back in business
haymoni -> Nott's dad has been named a Death Eater - Did he know already? Does he feel betrayed if he didn't already know? Is he mad at Harry for making a criminal out of the only parent he has left?

I don't think he didn't know his father is a DE, and Draco would have tell him if not. I don't think he'll take Harry responsive for his father conviction, because Mr Nott did comit the crime. Being mad at Draco's father who did lead the squad or at Voldemort who had this stupid idea in first place is more likely. But I don't think he'll be angry at anyone, no canon to back this up, just guts feeling.

L. Evans -> The fact that J.K.R. mentioned that one scene in her Edits mostly seems to be legitimately because she really loved that little scene, not because she wanted to alert us to later revelations.

It's not because Jo loves the scene that there no bit of information we can get from her comment. I still believe the two lines I quoted are relevant to the analysis of Theo's character.

L. Evans -> [Jo wrote :] "As in the case of Dean Thomas I know far more Theodore Nott than has ever appeared in the books." This seems to be the weak link of the argument that Theodore will be important. Because we know so very little about him, and the bit that we do know is not actually included in the books, it seems that Theodore is doomed to be just another "death-eater's sons".

I see no weak link in the fact we still know very little about Theodore. We learned load of things about Justin Fintch-Fletchey in CoS (Muggle-born, he was supposed to study at Eton, he duelled against Neville in the Dueling Club, his friend Ernie [who come from a old wizarding family] took the lead to protect him against the heir of Slytherin) and where he is now? Ernie have totally outshadowed him! And what did we know about Hannah Abbott? She's an Hufflepuff, a prefect and doesn't have much confidence in herself when it comes to exam, very little, but she's hanging around a lot, she's the only minor character in every book beside the Gryffindor and MCG. Will she be important? Only Jo knows. So I believe either Theo is doomed to be just another "death-eater's sons or Jo had someting else in mind, but couldn't afford to spill the beans too soon. I would compare him with Terry Boot and Susan Bones.

Boot was mention by name three times (sorting, dueling club and QtA) as a background character before he get some lines. In OoP, there are three Ravenclaw boys in Harry's year mentioned; Michael Corner (ch. 16, 17, 18 and 38) Anthony Goldstein (ch. 10, 16, 17, 18, 31 and 38) and Terry Boot (16, 17, 18, 19 and 38). Michael is Ginny's boyfriend, Anthony is prefect and Terry is just the third Ravenclaw guy, nevertheless Anthony never get a decent line, Michael Corner, even as Ginny's boyfriend, only get two poor lines in the whole book while Terry Boot get a very interesting comment in the Hog's Head and the "Protean Charm / Why you're not in Ravenclaw" comment later on. Terry is still the third Ravenclaw guy, but he's the one who have interesting hints (he was in DD's office in GoF where he talked with a portrait about how Harry kill a basilisk with Godric's sword and he can recognise a Protean Charm when he sees one).

As for Susan bones, she was mentionned in only four chapters in five books (sorting, Hog's Head, Escaped DE and Hogwarts Express), she's the Hufflepuff who get the less limelight but the one with the more interesting hints (her aunt is head of the Dept of MLE and her uncle's family was killed by the DE).

Likewise, Theodore have been merely mentionned three times (sorting [like Terry], QtA [like Terry] and the Quibbler Article), but he's the one who have the interesting hints in the Slytherins of Harry's year (beside Draco who's in another league with HRH and Neville). His father is a DE, but he's not hanging around with the other DE's sons, Harry didn't know his name until Hermione told him (not a show off for sure), Hermione knew his name (could they had met in the library?), he's weedy (very different from Crabbe and Goyle), his father is more articulated that Vincent or Gregory's, and Theodore didn't show any blatant sign he hates Harry for saying his father was a DE. He seems to have little in commun the other Death Nibblers and even less when we read Jo's comment of the deleted scene as he lost his mother and Draco is forced to see him as a real equal.

L. Evans -> Theodore is a clever person. Clever people can either go to ways.

The clever comment wasn't meant to show he'll be a good Slytherin, but that he have little in comment with Vincent and Goyle. He's their exact contrary in fact, little muscle but more brain than Draco, Crabbe and Goyle have big muscle but very little brain. Theodore is a clever loner who does not feel the need to join gangs which mean he could challenge Draco's authority if this one push him too much, that's what I find really promising.

Albus-Dumbledore -> Do anyone of you think that Nott could mean "Naughty".

Hum ... I'm more inclined to believe the "gift of God" idea, I know Theodora means "gift of God", Theodore seems to be the boy counterpart, specially since his father is very old, that's a name to give to an unexpected child who came went you thought you were to old for it but still wanted one. I wonder how old was Mrs Nott ...

Ronan -> In Ootp, Nott is badly injured and abandoned by the other DEs. Could this be a source of resent from Theodore towards the other Death Nibblers? Maybe he secretly hates Malfoy?

Hum ... I don't think he'll hate the other because his father was left behind, badly injured in a battle. He was badly injured, but not between life and death. Still, the fact other DEs seem to be worring about him indicate he's erspected among them, either for his age, for his skills or for his personality.

Edit : It gets that long!

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Oct 12, 2004 7:58 am (#37 of 161)

Since Harry had named his father a DE at the end of GOF and in the Quibbler article - way before the MOM battle - I'm guessing Teddy had sufficient time to hate Harry.

If he never knew that his dad was a DE, he could be confused, hurt, betrayed, blah blah blah. If Draco comes over to him as one who is in the same boat, Theodore could offer him an oar or could decide to jump out of the boat.

It may be way too early to tell where Teddy's loyalties will lie but I really think he will be a Nibbler.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ginevra-Weasley - Oct 13, 2004 5:57 am (#38 of 161)

Quite a short thread Tomoé.:-)

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Oct 13, 2004 9:49 am (#39 of 161)

Back in business
Which is not good, no one replied to any of my points. That's the problem with long posts, I should have know better and cut to the essential instead of rambling wildly. ^_^

As for Theodore knowing his dad was a DE or not, I think he knew. Draco would have asked him to join his gang in their first year and I can't believe the point of all having a DE in their family not being pointed out. Also, in the edited scene, Draco and Theodore were supposed to "discuss [...] all sorts of stories that the Death Eaters tell about how this baby boy survived the Dark Lord's attack". That scene should have been in CoS then in GoF, which mean Jo intended Theodore to know from 1997 to 2000 at the very least. She could heve change her mind, though.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Oct 13, 2004 3:26 pm (#40 of 161)

Tomoé, don't you worry, I think none of us answered to your post cause it was so good and so complete it was hard to say anything after that Wink Anyway, I was wondering wether the inclusion of that edit in JKR's site means

a) That Theodore's chance to be of some importance in the books is over, which would be really sad. (Anyone else feels it'd have been sooo fun to read about Mafalda? She sounded great!!)

b) On the contrary, he's going to gain more prominence and JKR wants us to notice him before the HBP comes out.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Oct 13, 2004 10:02 pm (#41 of 161)

Back in business
I think none of us answered to your post cause it was so good and so complete it was hard to say anything after that Wink

Good, I was afraid everyone skipped it, fearing my bad English. ^_^

I think the answer to your question is b, because of all characters in Harry's year in OoP, only four of them appear in just one chapter, the Mystery Slytherin (21), Theodore Nott (26), Daphne Greengrass (31), Millicent Bulstrode (32). All Slytherin, all barely mentionned, it looks like Jo's trying to introduced or re-introduce the Slythrin bunch.

- - - - - - - - - -
rebecca dorgelo - Oct 16, 2004 2:54 am (#42 of 161)

I agree Tomoe, whether Theodore is the 'good Slytherin' or not(t), he will still be more prominent in the future.

I hope that if we do see the Slytherin bunch that it will be a bit like Harry's Gryffindor bunch - some believe him and some don't - likewise with Malfoy and co.

p.s. your English is fine Smile

- - - - - - - - - -
Thora - Oct 16, 2004 1:58 pm (#43 of 161)

Hmmm isn't Jo in need of a "knot" to tie the houses back together? Perhaps his last name is less of a character description and more of a role description?

I think the little references to pupils here and there are preparing us for the houses coming together and the different strengths of the houses working toward a comon goal. Yes the ultimate conflict will likely be between old Moldy Voldie and our dear hero, but every character has to make a personal decision on what side they support.

In all of the epic battles between good and evil that I have read the characters are sorted to one side or the other as battle lines are drawn. There is often a traitor or two... but in order to be a traitor one usually has to be a bit closer to the hero, so I don't see our young Mr. Knott in that role unless we REALLY get to know him, and quickly at that.

An interesting character to watch, to be sure.

Thora

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Oct 19, 2004 3:05 am (#44 of 161)

After doing a quick google search, I was surprised to find out how popular Theodore Nott is among fans!! Everyone is fascinated by the edited scene featuring him and Malfoy in JKR's site. Seems like everyone is expecting either him or Blaise to turn out good. It's a shame JKR finally didn't include it on the books, because that way we could finally say for sure wether he's good or evil!! =((( And she describes him in such a neutral way!! Do you plan to drive us mad, Jo? Wink

- - - - - - - - - -
Ann - Oct 30, 2004 10:24 am (#45 of 161)

I've just read through this thread, and I agree with Ronan that, although Theodore occurs only rarely and neutrally, we've got quite a bit of information about his father. I hadn't noticed the parallel that Ronan points out: that both Nott in the cemetery scene in GoF and the "stringy Slytherin" in OotP are standing behind Goyle strikes me as very significant. I initially thought the mystery Slytherin was Blaise Zabini, but I'm not sure now.

And it may also be significant that, as far as I can tell, Goyle Sr. did not take part in the MoM fracas. Hitherto Crabbe & Goyle have been inseparable (both Jr. & Sr. pairs); I wonder if Nott's taking Goyle's place might prefigure a change in the Draco-Vincent-Gregory group; and if Theodore is abandoned as his father was....

It is interesting to me that in GoF Voldemort seems to imply that the senior Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott have all failed him (in the same way? the same operation?) and need to do better. But while Crabbe & Goyle reply with laconic "Yes, Master" and "We will, Master", Nott is more graceful and verbal, "My Lord, I prostrate myself before you, I am your most faithful..." He seems a class above the other two, although he doesn't seem to be as close to Voldemort as Malfoy (who is called by his first name rather than his surname).

But if Nott is the Slytherin Who Can See Thestrals, I think his looking at the horse eating "with an expression of great distaste on his face" does not augur well for the chances of his turning out a good guy. "Great distaste" implies a kind of looking down the nose at the behavior of animals that Harry regards as positive, and while good characters do express distaste (I think of Hermione's quite justifiable reaction to Ron's table manners), it doesn't usually explicitly disagree with Harry's perception of its object.

- - - - - - - - - -
Jessalynn Quirky - Oct 30, 2004 10:28 am (#46 of 161)

Or maybe he was just looking at it "with great distaste" because it can't be that delightful to watch a threstral rip apart a bloody chicken, now can it?

Happy Halloween everyone!

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Oct 30, 2004 12:31 pm (#47 of 161)

Dumbledore did not speak for a moment; he looked as though he was trying to make up his mind about something. At last he said, "I am sure. I trust Severus Snape completely." (HbP, p. 549)
I have to agree with Jessalynn, looking at a thestral eating with great distaste could simply be an indication that it's not pleasant to watch one animal eat another. I think that lions are amazing creatures, but I don't necessarily think that I have the stomach to watch it eat its prey.

I would think that his distaste for the bloody meal would be an indication that he would be a more humane student than if he were watching with delight.

Barbie

- - - - - - - - - -
MickeyCee3948 - Oct 30, 2004 8:23 pm (#48 of 161)

Yes I believe I find his reaction to the feeding habits alot better than if he had commented something like "yeah, cool dude.

Mikie

- - - - - - - - - -
Czarina II - Oct 31, 2004 5:10 pm (#49 of 161)

Indeed. I sometimes scare people when I dig into rotisserie chicken lathered in ketchup.;-)

I think 'distaste' is the way a more refined person (as I imagine Theodore Nott to be) would react while most of us would react with 'disgust'. I say refined meaning that the person is extremely self-conscious and self-controlled.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Nov 2, 2004 4:42 pm (#50 of 161)

Back in business
Ann -> It is interesting to me that in GoF Voldemort seems to imply that the senior Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott have all failed him (in the same way? the same operation?) and need to do better. But while Crabbe & Goyle reply with laconic "Yes, Master" and "We will, Master", Nott is more graceful and verbal, "My Lord, I prostrate myself before you, I am your most faithful..." He seems a class above the other two, although he doesn't seem to be as close to Voldemort as Malfoy (who is called by his first name rather than his surname).

Interesting observation, specially since Mr Nott's verbal ability seems inappropriate to the situation. Too nervous to think strait maybe, trying to word out too many idea. Desperate to talk his way out maybe when there is no need to. Crabbe and Goyle seemed more efficient in this scene, maybe they do deserve some credit for being Slytherins after all.

Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Theodore Nott Empty Theodore Nott (Post 51 to 100)

Post  Elanor Thu May 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Ronan - Nov 3, 2004 4:56 pm (#51 of 161)
Wow, a new idea has ocurred to me while reading Ann and Tomoe's posts: Nott senior is clearly sycophantic towards Voldemort. According to JKR, Theodore is a clever loner who doesn't need to join gangs. This sounds like the complete opposite of his father!! While his father joins the DEs and has this pathetic attitude towards Voldemort, Theodore doesn't care about Malfoy or the Inquisitorial Squad, and going by the description we have about him, I don't picture him acting the way his father does. This gives me hope Theodore might turn out to be good!

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Nov 3, 2004 5:38 pm (#52 of 161)

Back in business
Good thinking Ronan, maybe Mr Nott is too old to be an fight for the DE, but refuse to give up out of devotion. On the other hand, Theodore doesn't sound to be any close to become anyone's worshiper. Will he be the Sirius Black of his generation.

I still wonder why his mother died. Could she be one of those people who get killed rather than captured by the Aurors? Is that why Theo refused his father way? Or is there a simpler reason?

- - - - - - - - - -
Ann - Nov 3, 2004 9:03 pm (#53 of 161)

Ronan, I agree, a significant observation. Although it could be that Nott senior is a little freaked by having this mark on his arm reappear after thirteen years and then twinge, and then show up and ordered and have Voldemort bodified. A bit of grovelling seems to be in order for everyone. My point was that Nott does it in slightly "higher-class" level language than Crabbe and Goyle, but I suppose that's simply to be expected, since we're led to believe that their kids (and thus presumably they) are essentially thugs.

- - - - - - - - - -
TwinklingBlueEyes - Nov 3, 2004 9:05 pm (#54 of 161)

"Character is doing the right thing when nobody is looking"
Ann? Do you mean one level higher than troll? Theodore seems to be marching to his own drummer. He remains a mystery, but I have a feeling he will surprise a lot of people.

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Nov 6, 2004 4:15 pm (#55 of 161)

I just read a post on HPfGU about Theodore, that made me realize something. Now, that his father is in Azkaban, he's practically an orphan as well. It never occured to me. I mean, of course I know that his father is in Azkaban and that his mother is dead, but still I didn't realize that this means that he know probably has to live without a parent as well. Of course he's a lot older than Harry or Neville were, when they lost their parents, but still he's now in a somewhat similar situation to Harry as well. That makes a big difference to Malfoy, who still has his mother. Do you think this connection is important?

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Nov 6, 2004 5:12 pm (#56 of 161)

Back in business
I think there's a difference between Theo vs Harry and Neville. Theo should be sixteen this summer and he's a loner, I can see him leaving alone in the Nott's house, taking care of himself (maybe with a house-elf). And let's face it, a sixteen years old, son of a DE, orphan will have less sympathy than a one year old, saver of the world, orphan or a one or two years old, disenable parented, kid.

Since Theodore is now, well not orphan but parentless, and he doesn't fell the join any gang or make friends, plus Draco consider him as his equal, we could see Theodore getting really upset by Draco lack of maturity and publicly speak it out.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ann - Nov 6, 2004 7:04 pm (#57 of 161)

It seems unlikely to me, although Nott Sr. is Theodore's only remaining parent, that he brought him up. (His gender and generation, as well as his probable class, would suggest otherwise.) So there's probably another member of the household, most likely a woman, who has been primarily responsible for rearing him. And she'll still be around. She may also explain why Theodore doesn't hang out with the other DE kids. Maybe he wasn't raised in the Dark Arts tradition.

- - - - - - - - - -
Archangel - Nov 7, 2004 3:03 am (#58 of 161)

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. -- Semisonic
Edited by Nov 7, 2004 2:04 am
A witch nanny? It's possible. His family has the money to hire one and we can't really expect his father to take care of him i.e. feed him, change his clothes, play Quidditch with him... you know, the "dad" stuff. What if the witch nanny is a half-blood? Maybe that could explain why Nott hasn't fully subscribed to the pure blood mania like his father because the closest thing he has to a parent isn't one...

It would also be very interesting to get a glimpse of his father's perception of him. In CoS, we got the impression that Lucius was not all impressed with Draco, I guess to some extent in his father’s cold eyes he is a failure, and demands him to do much better. Does Nott Sr. feel the same way about having a “keeps-to-himself-not-a-pure-blood-loving” son?

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Nov 7, 2004 1:38 pm (#59 of 161)

What about a House-elf helping to raise Theodore? We saw with the Crouch family and Winky that the House-elves can be given quite a bit of responsibility within a family. Is it possible that House-elves might handle some of the duties of a nanny in wealthier wizarding households?

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Ann - Nov 7, 2004 1:57 pm (#60 of 161)

Being raised by a house-elf could also be a recipe for (unintentionally, I presume) teaching Theodore a bit more tolerance for those different from himself. But of course it doesn't always work that way. Look at Barty Crouch, and Scarlet O'Hara, for that matter. On the other hand, those who develop contempt for the servants who raise them presumably learn it at the knee of their parents. ("They've got to be carefully taught!") If Nott Sr. was a truly absent parent--and he might have been because of his age, sex, and widowed status--Theodore might not have picked up his prejudices.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Nov 7, 2004 2:11 pm (#61 of 161)

Ann, I was thinking specifically of Scarlett and Mammy when I wrote that post! GMTA! I also like your reference to South Pacific, too ... "You've got to be taught, before it's too late, before you are six or seven or eight, to hate all the people your relatives hate--you've got to be carefully taught!"

Hopefully, Theodore has "nott" been carefully taught that lesson.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Nov 9, 2004 5:19 pm (#62 of 161)

Back in business
A governess, interesting idea Ann. Until which age those women had to take care of the children's education?

Now, house-elf or witch, I believe there is a house-elf who physically took and still take care of Theo, but I doubt he took care of his education. I doupt any pure-blood prejudiced wizard will entrust his child education to a house-elf. House-elfs are servants, as Nearly Headless Nick said, "the mark of a good house-elf [is] you don't know it's there". Crouch Jr is a special case, no one could know he was there are Crouch Sr risked Azkaban himself, the lengendary discretion of house-elves was required there.

On her website, Jo wrote Theodore was Raised by a very elderly widower and Death Eater father, it does sound like Mr Nott raised his son himself, though Jo could had left that detail out of Theo's biography to leave some surprise for HbP. Plus, a governess wouldn't be out of place in the Wizarding World.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ann - Nov 9, 2004 6:58 pm (#63 of 161)

Tomoe, I agree with you that a house elf wouldn't be the best method of educating a child at home--although I can think of some children who'd be better off if they'd been taught some of a house-elf's selflessness!

A governess or a tutor would presumably teach a child until he or she entered Hogwarts--longer even--and might not necessarily be (or even be likely to be) a pure blood. Such people are usually dependent, often poor relations or educated but poor children of employees. Obviously, isn't universally true that pure bloods are rich and half-bloods are less so (look at the Weasleys), but there does seem to be a general trend in that direction (Malfoys, Potters, Blacks, even Longbottoms). And somehow, it's hard to imagine an arrogant "pure blood is all" type working as an underpaid private tutor.

As for JKR's statement that Theodore was "raised by" his father, that doesn't necessarily imply hands-on teaching. I think it could be accurately said of a father who hired a nanny and then later a tutor.

- - - - - - - - - -
rebecca dorgelo - Nov 20, 2004 11:08 pm (#64 of 161)

I don't know about anyone else, but when I think 'nanny' I think Mary Poppins. The possible connection being that she was amazingly subversive and taught the Banks children all sorts of things that their father would've disapproved of. I can almost see Theo and nanny getting up to all sorts of larks that were not DE-ish at all!

supercallafragilistic expialadocious

(did I spell it right?)

- - - - - - - - - -
Archangel - Nov 21, 2004 11:33 pm (#65 of 161)

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. -- Semisonic
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Yep, I agree Rebecca. He could be a loner and avoids Malfoy & co. for fear that his true colors might be exposed for all we know. He's not able to reach out to other students because he's in Slytherin and there's label attached to people who are in that house.

- - - - - - - - - -
MickeyCee3948 - Nov 22, 2004 10:24 am (#66 of 161)

Nott kinda reminds me a little of a young version of Snape as I believe he would have been while a student.

Mikie

- - - - - - - - - -
Amilia Smith - Dec 10, 2004 12:34 pm (#67 of 161)

The Thestral Boy has just been successfully identified as Theodore Nott! See the FAQ section at Jo's website.

So we now have four adjectives to describe Theo: stringy, weedy, rabbity and clever.

Mills.

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Dec 10, 2004 1:11 pm (#68 of 161)

Yay. Let me just say: Yay. I hoped it was Theodore Nott.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hermy-own - Dec 10, 2004 3:22 pm (#69 of 161)

Yaye!! Now I'm almost certain he'll play a bigger role in HBP.

- - - - - - - - - -
Czarina II - Dec 10, 2004 8:42 pm (#70 of 161)

Hurrah! Theodore Nott might actually be important! This makes me wonder now...will he join Malfoy or Harry? Or just remain by himself? He's probably the Neville of Slytherin, minus the clumsiness.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Dec 10, 2004 9:01 pm (#71 of 161)

Hopefully, he is interesting, independent, and intelligent, able to think for himself. Perhaps, through Theodore, we will be introduced to some bright, creative Slytherins who can help dispel the image that has been created by Draco and the "thuggier" Slytherins we've met thus far.

The fact that Theodore can see thestrals means he has seen someone die. His mother, perhaps? If so, did she die from natural causes, an accident, or murder? Was she a DE? This opens up a lot of exciting new possibilities!

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Dec 11, 2004 4:00 am (#72 of 161)

Wow!! I didn't expect JKR to answer this question! Actually, although it's great knowing more about Theodore, I'm a bit scared that the fact that she answers this questions so easily means Theodore won't be important in the coming books. When Theodore's name was so carefully concealed during the Thestral scene, inmediatly we all started wondering who that boy might be, and WHY his identity had been kept secret. By the way, can someone explain to me what does rabbity mean? I've looked it up in my monolingual dictionary but I can't find it. The fisrt thing that pops into my mind is a person who is small, trembles a lot and is easily scared, like a rabbit, but I think this fits so badly with everything else we know about Theo...

- - - - - - - - - -
Dr Filibuster - Dec 11, 2004 9:44 am (#73 of 161)

Sue, from Northwich, England.
Ronan, I haven't read the Nott excerpt from JKR's site yet. Did the word "rabbity" come from there?

If somebody "rabbits" on and on, it means that they talk non-stop. Does that fit better?

- - - - - - - - - -
Dr Filibuster - Dec 12, 2004 1:09 pm (#74 of 161)

Sue, from Northwich, England.
OK, I've just found the "rabbity" comment on JKR's site. She said he looks rabbity.

Perhaps he has large front teeth, big ears and a twitchy nose?

- - - - - - - - - -
Ladybug220 - Dec 12, 2004 1:15 pm (#75 of 161)

...moves faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo
Thanks Sue, I now have a mental picture of the Easter bunny attending Hogwarts.

- - - - - - - - - -
Hermy-own - Dec 12, 2004 1:52 pm (#76 of 161)

Slytherin house is rapidly becoming a zoo! First Draco the ferret, then Pansy the pug, and now Theo the rabbit. Hmmmm....

PS -- How could I forget, Crabbe and Goyle the mountain trolls.

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Dec 12, 2004 1:59 pm (#77 of 161)

Don't ferrets kill rabbits sometimes? I hope Theodore is watching who is behind him...

- - - - - - - - - -
Quidam - Dec 12, 2004 11:07 pm (#78 of 161)

Slytherin house is rapidly becoming a zoo! First Draco the ferret, then Pansy the pug, and now Theo the rabbit. Hmmmm....

PS -- How could I forget, Crabbe and Goyle the mountain trolls.

There's also some gorilla references to Crabbe and Goyle. Goyle is described as having "long gorilla arms". When Angelina is looking at the lineup for the Slytherin Quidditch team she says "last year's Beaters, Derrick and Bole, have left, but it looks as though Montague's replaced them with the usual gorillas...".

And there is also; Warrington the sloth, Millicent the hag and Marcus the troll (and possibly Umbridge the toad)

I'd like to know what was said in that conversation between Draco and Theodore that we never got to read.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Dec 12, 2004 11:49 pm (#79 of 161)

You know, for all the "pure blood" arrogance exhibited by the Malfoys, the Slytherin kids we've met thus far don't sound like a particularly intelligent or attractive lot, do they? Trolls, hags, sloths, pugs, gorillas ... Are they the products of too much in-breeding?

- - - - - - - - - -
Hermy-own - Dec 13, 2004 6:04 am (#80 of 161)

"Are they the products of too much in-breeding?"

LOL@Solitaire! That's made my morning!

I wrote my previous post jokingly, not expecting there to be any real link between Slytherin and animals. But having read Quidam's post, it's clear Rowling is trying to tell us something.

Anyway, we are in danger of straying far, far away from topic, so let's all "hop" back to Nott, shall we?

Hermy.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Dec 13, 2004 6:18 am (#81 of 161)

So rabbity just means "that looks like a rabbit?". That doesn't sound very well. Anyway, I was thinking, JKR said we'll see more of Blaise Zabini, and I'm wondering which kind of person he is. We know Theodore is a loner, but Blaise musn't be very friends with the other Slytherins either, as he's never mentioned in the company of Mlafoy & the others.

I'm going to make a guess: being a pure blood and a Death Nibbler, Theodore is, if grudgingly, respected among Slytherins. Blaise, being a half-blood AND no DN, is ostracized by the rest of his peers. Which opnes the possibility for him to befriend the goodies!

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Dec 13, 2004 8:18 am (#82 of 161)

Well, I for one will be glad to see some new Slytherin kids! I hope they are a bit more interesting than the ones we've met thus far. Perhaps, with the war in full swing, we will begin to see through them more of the methods by which the previous (and existing) army of DEs were recruited.

Hermy-own ... glad to give you a giggle! I just couldn't resist.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
Tessa's Dad - Dec 13, 2004 9:20 am (#83 of 161)

Tired Old Bat Bogey
Don’t forget Tom Riddle the Easily Defeated Snake Boy!

When I read rabbity I thought of a kid ready to run in a moments notice. A little gun shy. As if any noise or sudden movement might cause him to run and hide. I see a “chicken” as someone that could learn to assess a situation and stand up for themselves, but a “rabbit” would always run without discovering the true situation.

- - - - - - - - - -
hells456 - Dec 14, 2004 3:30 pm (#84 of 161)

I remember reading an interview with JKR where she said she had a "rabbit fixation". She really likes them, maybe this means that Theodore could be a good guy.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Dec 14, 2004 4:19 pm (#85 of 161)

Back in business
The impression I got from rabbity is that Theodore is nervous around danger, prompt to run or froze, but not fight (thus he's expression of distaste when he saw the thestral eating). He mind his own business, don't mean harm to anyone unless provoqued.

- - - - - - - - - -
SarcasticGinny - Dec 14, 2004 7:39 pm (#86 of 161)

I think of agree with Tomoe, when I hear "rabbity" I think of Theo as being being alert and maybe jumpy, and also secretive kind of "hiding in his hole".

If forced to guess, right now, I'd compare him most to Phineus Nigellus, in that he's kind of an "every man for himself" type, the kind who saves his own neck first, then worries about what side, if any, he should be associating himself with. In the true Slytherin sense, even more so than Crabbe, Goyle, or Pansy types who leech onto Draco, Theodore Nott by all descriptions seems to look out for #1 - he's clever without having to latch himself onto a cause,which keeps him free to act in his best interests alone wherever it seems fit.

Now the next question...since we KNOW Theo can see thestrals..who did he see die?!?

- - - - - - - - - -
Maollelujah - Dec 15, 2004 1:20 am (#87 of 161)

When I heard 'rabbity', I only focused on the physical appearance, which led to wonder if the boy that is with Draco on ocassion in the POA movie isn't Teddy, because in my mind that boy was both stringy and rabbity.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Dec 15, 2004 9:22 am (#88 of 161)

Back in business
LOL Maollelujah, I'm trying to figure out what a stringy rabbit could look like, but it really doesn't work. ^_^ But sure, the guys in PoA is stringy and nervous, maybe that's one of the thing that gave Jo's goosebumps.

SarcasticGinny -> since we KNOW Theo can see thestrals .. who did he see die?!?

First, let's reread the quote :

There were only two other people who seem to be able to see them: a stringy Slytherin boy standing just behind Goyle was watching the horse eating with an expression of great distaste on his face; [...] Yeah ... yeah, I know you'd be able ter, Harry, he said seriously. 'An' you too, Neville, eh? An' -' (OoP ch.21 pp.393-394)

I know you'd be able to, Harry. And you too, Neville, right? And ...

The second "and" seems to indicate Hagrid expected Theodore to be a thestral seer, too. It should therefore be common knowledge, at least among the Order members, that the Nott boy have seen somebody die.

When we were still wondering if the Mystery Slytherin was Theodore or Blaise, Jo renewed her website and let us know Theodore did lost his mother. I now believe she wanted to tell us that Theodore is the Thestral seer Slytherin boy and the death he saw was his mother's.

But there's more to deduce now we know Theodore Nott indeed attend the CoMC lessons :

[Harry] patted the beak several times and the Hippogriff closed his eyes lazily, as tough enjoying it. The class broke into applause, all except for Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle [...]
[Harry and Buckbeak landed] 'Good work, Harry!' roared Hagrid, as everyone except Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle cheered.

Unless I'm much mistaken, you have to take CoMC 1 before you can take CoMC 2 or 3, I therefore assume Theodore was there, applauding and cheering Harry.

- - - - - - - - - -
Steve Newton - Dec 15, 2004 9:24 am (#89 of 161)

Librarian
Tomoé, good job of research and connecting.

- - - - - - - - - -
El Cronista de Salem - Dec 15, 2004 2:47 pm (#90 of 161)

one question: why Theodore is not the prefect, if he is clever than Draco?

Prefects are choosen by the headmaster. Maybe by McGonagall too. why Draco, then?

Maybe they have a similar reason for don't choose Theodore as with Harry.

We don't know enough of Theodore :-( But I think that his mother death keeps a subplot.

- - - - - - - - - -
Eponine - Dec 15, 2004 2:52 pm (#91 of 161)

I think prefects are chosen by their head of house as well. Snape probably felt obligated to choose Draco due to his seemingly close relationship with Lucius even if Draco was not the best choice for prefect.

- - - - - - - - - -
Prefect Marcus - Dec 15, 2004 3:12 pm (#92 of 161)

"Anyone can cook"
This should likely be over on the Draco thread, but I think Draco was the appropiate Slytherin boy for prefect the fifth year. A prefect has to be somewhat of a leader, or at least have the potential of becoming one. No other Slytherin boy of Harry's year has really stood out.

- - - - - - - - - -
MickeyCee3948 - Dec 15, 2004 4:01 pm (#93 of 161)

Perfect Marcus, I totally agree with you. If Nott is as "rabbity" as JKR describes him, I doubt he would not be someone to lead anyone at this time. But perhaps he is growing in confidence the way Mr. Longbottom is and will show of what stuff he is made in the last 2 books.

Mikie

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Dec 15, 2004 4:04 pm (#94 of 161)

Back in business
Anyway, Theodore is a clever loner who does not feel the need to join gangs, that doesn't sound like a leader to me.

- - - - - - - - - -
fortuna major - Dec 15, 2004 4:32 pm (#95 of 161)

I think that it is Dumbledore who chooses the prefects. In OoTP at Grimmauld Place Kingsley wonders "why Dumbledore didn't make Potter a prefect." Then at the end of OoTP Dumbledore tells Harry, "You may have wondered why I never chose you as a prefect."
- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Dec 15, 2004 4:42 pm (#96 of 161)

Don't the Heads of Houses also have a say? That seemed to be why Tonks wasn't a prefect.

And, if only because Snape needed to maintain his connection with Malfoy, it would also explain why Draco became a Prefect.

DD, of course, would be happy to oblige.

- - - - - - - - - -
Prefect Marcus - Dec 15, 2004 4:48 pm (#97 of 161)

"Anyone can cook"
Paulus Maximus - Don't the Heads of Houses also have a say?

We are not told. All we know is Dumbledore appoints them.

That being said, I can't believe that Dumbledore makes the appointment without consulting his Heads-of-house.

- - - - - - - - - -
Eponine - Dec 15, 2004 5:33 pm (#98 of 161)

From OotP UK hardback, p. 153

"I was never a prefect myself," said Tonks brightly..."My Head of House said I lacked certain necessary qualities."

(Left out irrelevant parts of the sentence)

While it doesn't come out and say that the Heads of House have a say in it, I believe it could be inferred from that statement.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Dec 15, 2004 5:46 pm (#99 of 161)

Back in business
Maybe the Heads propose a few names and the Headmaster chose among them.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Dec 16, 2004 8:47 am (#100 of 161)

Probably DD and Snape decided they HAD to choose Malfoy as prefect in order to keep Snape's alibi. As long as Draco reports his dad how happy he is at Hogwarts and how good Snape in with him, he can still work as a double spy more safely. Surely they though that anyway a prefect isn't that powerful anyway, and there are other 6 prefects from other houses to counteract Malfoy and Pansy's evil influence.

Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Theodore Nott Empty Theodore Nott (Post 101 to 150)

Post  Elanor Thu May 05, 2011 12:19 pm

Prefect Marcus - Dec 16, 2004 11:39 am (#101 of 161)
"Anyone can cook"
Ronan - Probably DD and Snape decided they HAD to choose Malfoy as prefect in order to keep Snape's alibi.

I doubt Dumbledore has a reputation for choosing Prefects based upon parentage. Rather, I think Hogwarts under Dumbledore has a reputation of being a meritocracy. Going against that rep would likely cause Lucius to become suspicious.

Draco was the natural leader of the Slytherin boys of Harry's year. He made the most logical choice of prefect. Now whether or not he remains prefect after his power trip this past year is open to question. We shall see.

- - - - - - - - - -
hells456 - Dec 16, 2004 3:40 pm (#102 of 161)

Usually in British schools that use the prefect system, the Heads of House confer with the Headmaster to give their recommendations, but the ultimate decision rests with the Headmaster.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Dec 16, 2004 3:57 pm (#103 of 161)

Dumbledore did not speak for a moment; he looked as though he was trying to make up his mind about something. At last he said, "I am sure. I trust Severus Snape completely." (HbP, p. 549)
Tonks didn't say that her head of house didn't choose her as a prefect, just explained that she couldn't behave herself enough to be one. It seems to me more likely that Tonks went to her head of house and asked for an explanation of why she wasn't chosen. The head of house would be unlikely to seek out all 5th years that weren't chosen to tell them the reasons why.

We know that Dumbledore had the final word in choosing prefects. Kingsley asked Lupin why Dumbledore didn't choose Harry, and further Dumbledore explained to Harry at the end of OoP that he thought Harry had enough responsibility already to be made prefect. I think that somewhere it's also stated that Lupin was made prefect because Dumbledore hoped that he would be a good influence on James and Sirius.

Back to Theodore Nott being a "stringy", "rabbity" Slytherin... I think that string indicates that he will be the Slytherin that will help to unite the houses. String is something that is used to bring things together, something that is used to tie (or unite) things. Lupin's suitcase was broken down and was tied by a multitude of neatly knotted string. I think that was an example of taking something that has fallen apart, (the suitcase or the four houses) and tying it all back together using string.

Rabbits are generally associated with Gryffindors. Remember that Harry thought he would be asked to pull a rabbit out of the sorting hat? And in Jo's drawing of the "Midnight Duel" scene, she drew Neville wearing furry rabbit slippers. Neville was also shown hopping bunny style through the round (like the tunnel where rabbits live) portrait hole when Malfoy used the leg-locker curse on him. The Weasleys, who are all Gryffindors, live at the Burrow--a name for a rabbit's home. Hermione is often depicted with her overly large front teeth hopping up and down on the edge of her seat in her eagerness to answer questions.

I think that Theodore Nott being described as "rabbity" is a good indication that he will be open to forming an alliance with Gryffindors. I think that he is the necessary Slytherin to unite a member from each house under the DA banner.

Barbie

- - - - - - - - - -
Neville Longbottom - Dec 17, 2004 3:19 am (#104 of 161)

Rabbits are generally associated with Gryffindors.

At least in one chapter, Snape's worst memory, a rabbit was associated with a Slytherin, namely Snape. Sirius was said to look like a dog who has smelled a rabbit, when he spotted Snape. But since Snape is (probably) a good Slytherin, the comparison still isn't too bad for Theodore.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Dec 17, 2004 6:09 am (#105 of 161)

Phoenix song, I find this rabbit clue a bit far-fetched , but I'll add another rabbit connection anyway =D Lavender Brown's pet, Binky, was a rabbit.

- - - - - - - - - -
rambkowalczyk - Dec 17, 2004 6:11 am (#106 of 161)

Before it was revealed that it was Theodore who saw Thestrals, I assumed the person that saw them was Blaise Zabini. Based on this incorrect premise I concluded that Blaise was going to be the good Slytherin and Theodore would be worse than Draco. (Think of what they say about those psychotic killers when they were young--he was such a quiet boy kept to himself, a loner.) Obviously I need to rethink.

Do you think we are justified in assuming that because he looked on the Thestrals with distaste that he is a good slytherin?

- - - - - - - - - -
mooncalf - Dec 17, 2004 10:52 am (#107 of 161)

It could be that he is good - or it could be that he just doesn't like to get his hands dirty. Maybe he is the upper-class sort who prefers to have others do duty work for him; he's too good to do what Malfoy would call "servant stuff."

- - - - - - - - - -
Albus-Dumbledore - Dec 20, 2004 11:27 pm (#108 of 161)

You shall not harm Harry Potter
Don't all of you think that we are deducing far too much from the words "Stringy" and "rabbity".I think that they are simply used to describe appearance of Theodore. By the way I don't think that anyone will like seeing thestrals eating and chomping the dead cow even if he or she is completely horrible.That was a disgusting scene to witness, with blood pouring and flesh getting ripped.I don't think that even Malfoy would have enjoyed the scene. So according to me this scene doesn't gives too much clues about Theodore's character.

PS: I am in the habit of floccinuacinihilipilification. So don't give a lot of thought to my ideas.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Dec 21, 2004 9:04 am (#109 of 161)

Albus Dumbledore: "Don't all of you think that we are deducing far too much from the words "Stringy" and "rabbity".

Actually, I think that Jo very carefully chooses all of the descriptive terms that she grants to her characters. I think that they all have meaning and revelance, and give the careful reader insight into the character's true nature. I have been studying the descriptive words utilized in her books, and I am definitely seeing patterns with colors, shapes, adjectives and adverbs that can not be anything other than planned.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course. The Harry Potter books are great in that they can be read on a surface level for enjoyment, AND they can be studied and read on a much deeper level. Those who prefer to read the books primarily on a base level will find it difficult to spot patterns with regards to her use of words like "rabbity" and "stringy" to describe a character that we haven't really met yet, (although we do know about him from her web site.) I personally feel that her use of these words to describe Theodore Nott give us insight into his "make up" and the role that he's likely to play in the future books. It's okay with me if others don't feel that way, though.

Barbie

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Dec 21, 2004 11:18 am (#110 of 161)

My Patronus is a Crumple-Horn Snorkack
Dorothy Sayers occasionally used the word "rabbity" to describe her detective protagonist, Lord Peter Wimsey, who was heroic, rather than cowardly. I always thought that she was referring to his rather pale complexion and perhaps somewhat, um, noticeable front teeth. (Oh, dear, I'm recalling at this moment the Monty Python "Upperclass Twit of the Year" competition)

Could this -- pallid complexion and large teeth -- be all that JKR means by "rabbity"?

Saralinda/Kayte
"Consistently guessing wrong about Harry Potter since 2002."

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Dec 21, 2004 1:31 pm (#111 of 161)

I've searched a little about the rabbit symbolism and found that, first, it symbolizes vigilance ( because it is said it sleeps with its eyes opened) and is known for its timid character and its speed. In the Antiquity, it had mostly positive symbolical properties. Knowing Jo's taste for mythology, I think we might see some well hidden but "good" qualities in Theodore.

And I completly agree with you Barbie!

- - - - - - - - - -
mooncalf - Dec 21, 2004 7:22 pm (#112 of 161)

I'm with Saralinda. I think "rabbity' is used more often as a physical description - prominent front teeth, pale skin and eyes - than as a description of character.

Or maybe he has a bunny patronus.:-)

- - - - - - - - - -
Saralinda Again - Dec 21, 2004 10:21 pm (#113 of 161)

My Patronus is a Crumple-Horn Snorkack
I don't know, maybe it's because it's late and I had a rotten day, maybe it's the spillover from the winter solstice, or maybe I'm just weird, but I'm absolutely lost, laughing with tears streaming down my face, at the idea of a bunny patronus.

::Expecto Thumper!::

Sara/Kayte

- - - - - - - - - -
Marie E. - Dec 21, 2004 11:13 pm (#114 of 161)

Oh my, Saralinda! Now I have to clean off my monitor!

- - - - - - - - - -
Madame Pomfrey - Dec 22, 2004 6:41 am (#115 of 161)

I agree with you Barbie.Recently. I've been thinking Thodore Nott may be the half blood prince and perhaps he will unite the houses of Slytherin and Gryffindor.Of course I have no reason to believe this just a gut feeling.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Dec 22, 2004 10:50 pm (#116 of 161)

Elanor and Madame Pomfrey: I thank you for your support! It's nice to know that I'm not all alone here!

I like that Jo has given us information about Theo on the website that lets us know that he's Malfoy's social equal, and feels no need to follow the crowd. I do think that this bodes well for him being a Slytherin that "hops" (intentional 'bunny' funny) off of the "pure-blood" mania bandwagon and joins the rest of the school in fighting Voldie and the Death Eaters. ("Voldie and the Death Eaters sounds a bit like the name of a bad 80's heavy metal band, doesn't it?)

I also find the idea of a bunny patronus hilarious!! Denise's Thumper avatar comes to mind. Can't you just hear the bunny telling off the dementors? "If you can't do something nice..."

Have a great holiday everybody!
Barbie

- - - - - - - - - -
Elanor - Dec 23, 2004 12:48 am (#117 of 161)

You're welcome Barbie! BTW, I have found by chance another detail about "rabbity". I was searching the "language" section of the Lexicon (the differences between English and American vocabulary) and there is an article about "rabbiting": link.

"To rabbit means to talk incessantly or gossip idly. It's commonly used among Cockney folk." And then, there is a quote from Hagrid in PS.

I don't know if it helps but I found it funny to mention!

I loved the bunny patronus too, BTW!

- - - - - - - - - -
Denise S. - Dec 23, 2004 2:10 am (#118 of 161)

We are not a cult, we're just slightly obsessed and mentally unstable. There's a difference. ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
But whose patronus?

Elanor: [The rabbit] symbolizes vigilance (because it is said it sleeps with its eyes opened)

Not Theodore's, but Moody's, most definitely.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Dec 23, 2004 9:37 pm (#119 of 161)

Elanor: What a marvelous link! Thank you! I had forgotten that Hagrid tells the trio not to go "rabbitin'" around the school with the news of Fluffy. I also like that the link explained other "confusing" English expressions like when Oliver Wood says that McGonagall got a bit "shirty" with him when he asked for the Firebolt back. I knew the intention of the expression, but equated it with an American expression... and was quite shocked at Jo's daring.

I can't wait until HBP comes out so that we can see what part Theo plays, and how he "rabbits" around the school.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Barbie

- - - - - - - - - -
Eric Bailey - Jan 7, 2005 4:30 pm (#120 of 161)

Well, let's remember the two most famous rabbits of popular culture: Brer Rabbit and Bugs Bunny, trickster icons, both. They both demonstrated the Slytherin ideal of extreme cunning, didn't they?

The more I think about it, the more I suspect Theodore of being responsible for the bathroom incident that left one of the IS disoriented, and giving Pansy antlers. Notice, neither Slytherin said who attacked them. So, either they didn't know, or it was someone they didn't want to take House points from.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Jan 8, 2005 9:51 am (#121 of 161)

I'm not completely sure but think the bathroom incident was caused by Fred and George, wasn't it...? In any case I don't see Theodore acting against his house mates un such a direct way, I expect something like a tacit disagreement. (Which hopefully will be explicit soon!!).

- - - - - - - - - -
Eric Bailey - Jan 8, 2005 5:19 pm (#122 of 161)

I just figure if Theodore is "rabbity", he should be the classic trackster we've come to associate with the rabbit, from Brer and Bugs to the Trix mascot. Brer and Bugs are generally good guys, but extremely cunning. Reluctant trickster heroes have always been my favorite, from Odysseus to Buffy.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jan 9, 2005 6:08 pm (#123 of 161)

Back in business
There's another rabit trickster, Manabozho The Great Rabbit, sometimes knows as The Great Hare. He's a rabbit trickster from the Native Americans tales.

Here's a few links:

- - - - - - - - - -
Eric Bailey - Jan 9, 2005 10:00 pm (#124 of 161)

Thanks. I knew the origins of the trickster rabbit were in mythology, but I couldn't remember which one.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Jan 10, 2005 10:50 am (#125 of 161)

Ronan, I believe you are correct. I think F&G stuffed a kid named Montague (no books here, so I could be wrong) into the vanishing cupboard and he reappeared some days later in a toilet. If that is the incident to which you were referring ...

- - - - - - - - - -
Quidam - Jan 10, 2005 4:55 pm (#126 of 161)

Expecto Thumper!

Remember that Harry's Patronus is a stag Expecto Bambi!

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Jan 21, 2005 6:06 pm (#127 of 161)

I just had to share with you some comment a fan made in another forum on the net. He has noticed how much Theodore mirrors Luna Lovegood. In two basic things: both their mothers died and they can both see Thestrals. Pure coincidence or does that mean something? Does that mean Theodore can see Thestrals because he saw his mother die? I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to that thread, but that was the starting point.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jan 21, 2005 6:30 pm (#128 of 161)

*Completely Obsessed With Harry Potter*
Ronan - I do not remember any information about T. Nott that says his mother died. Can you direct me to where it says that?

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Jan 22, 2005 12:03 am (#129 of 161)

Back in business
Jo wrote on her website that Theo was raised by a very elderly widower and Death Eater father. Since his mother didn't participate to his rising and since his father is a widower, the chances are very high that his mother is dead.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Jan 22, 2005 4:10 pm (#130 of 161)

Thanks - I thought it was in the books and I had missed it.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Feb 15, 2005 10:02 am (#131 of 161)

I recently remembered Ted Tonks, Tonk's father, and I thought JKR typically never repeats names... Since it was said all wizarding families are relative, do you think it's possible Theodore was named that way to honour his... uhmm... uncle Ted? Do we have any information about wether Ted was good or evil?

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Feb 15, 2005 11:06 am (#132 of 161)

I could be wrong, it won't be the first time if I am, but I'm pretty sure that Thedore Nott is a Jr. That would mean that he was named for his dad. Tonk's father was a muggle-born wizard, and her mother was a witch (Sirius' aunt). It would be doubtful that a DE father would name his child after a muggle-born regardless of the quality of his character.

Is there anyone that knows for sure if he's a Jr? It's my gut feeling that he is, but I can't find canon evidence. (I guess we need a "canon seeker". Catherine?)

Barbie

- - - - - - - - - -
Denise P. - Feb 15, 2005 11:10 am (#133 of 161)

Ravenclaw Pony
There is nothing on the Lexicon itself to suggest Theodore is a Jr. Usually a Jr is named for a father but it is not always the case, some people when using the same name as another male relative may opt to use Jr.

Nott, the DE, is not named beyond Nott.

- - - - - - - - - -
Phoenix song - Feb 15, 2005 11:18 am (#134 of 161)

Thanks, Denise. I think the reason that was why I was leaning toward the "Jr." status is an unconscious reaction to his father never actually being named by his first name when all of the other DEs that I can think of have had their first names revealed. Come to think of it, though, I've always assumed that Crabbe and Goyle were Jrs. because their fathers aren't named by first names, either. (Or are they?) It is dangerous to assume anything when dealing with JKR's work.

I would still think it unlikely that Theodore is named after Ted Tonks, though, since he was muggle-born.

Barbie

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - Feb 15, 2005 2:57 pm (#135 of 161)

Back in business
Well, JKR do repeat first name, we have Tom the innkeeper and Tom Riddle, we have Ernie Macmillan et Ernie the Knight Bus driver, we have Millicent Bulstrode the Slytherin hag and Millicent Bagnold the last Minister for Magic. So, I see nothing to connected Ted Tonks and Theodore Nott yet.

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - Feb 15, 2005 6:28 pm (#136 of 161)

Excellent Tomoe' - I had forgotten about all those same names. Thanks for the reminder.

- - - - - - - - - -
Czarina II - Feb 16, 2005 8:45 am (#137 of 161)

I think JKR just uses repeat names to make her world more identifiable for her readers. I know lots of people with my name and there are lots of repeat names that I know.

- - - - - - - - - -
Paulus Maximus - Feb 17, 2005 10:31 pm (#138 of 161)

And I imagine that there would have been no Muggle-born Death Eaters. I doubt that Nott and Tonks could have been related at all, unless Ted Tonks was a half-blood rather than a Muggle-born.

- - - - - - - - - -
Catherine - Feb 18, 2005 2:37 pm (#139 of 161)

Canon Seeker
Nymphadora Tonks and Sirius both say that Ted Tonks is a Muggle-born.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Feb 19, 2005 4:32 am (#140 of 161)

Actually it's true JKR does repeat names, I'm sorry I didn't check that properly =(

Besides, they seem to be rather background characters... hope the same won't happen to Theodore.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - May 12, 2005 11:45 am (#141 of 161)

Just as I thought Theodore's topic was completely exhausted, the other day something popped in my mind: in the Thestral class scene, JKR purposedly hid the identity of the "Thestral-seeing boy". That caused a very interesting discussion among fans, trying to decide wether it was Blaise or Theodore. Then, months later, JKR simply tells us it's Nott, using her FAQ section.

Now, usually when some info is kept secret in such a suspicious way, it usually means it's something important we have to watch carefully, that will be revealed in the following books. But if that's so, how come JKR simply decided to reveal this info before books 6 and 7?

Edit: spelling and grammar

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - May 12, 2005 1:52 pm (#142 of 161)

It is interesting to do a study of the word knot (or Nott) in the books. It pops up quite frequently, especially in book 5, and may be symbolic of unity or strength within a group. The "stringy" Slytherin Theodore Nott appears in this book.

When the Order members come to get Harry, Lupin leads "the little knot of wizards" through the house and when they get to 12GM, Snape is surrounded by "a dark knot of people". Fred and George perform experiments amid a "knot of innocent looking first-years". To watch Umbridge throw Trelawney out of the school, Harry pushes through a "knot of tall Slytherins" and the Whomping Willow is quieted by pushing on a knot at the base of the tree. When Harry gets nervous he gets a knot in his stomach. Hermione knits elf hats and Hagrid knits - knitting is basically making knots.

See how many "knots" you run across when reading HP. Is JKR trying to tell us something with all the "knots"?

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - May 12, 2005 6:51 pm (#143 of 161)

Back in business
I think Jo wanted the readers to search who were the Slytherins, because it will be important in HbP. So she gave us a mystery Slytherin boy and we search the likely candidate. On her website, she said Mafalda was supposed to talk with the DE's sons and daughters, so there are daughters of DE as well in Hogwarts, we never heard of any. But likely the who's who of the Slytherin will be important in next book 6.

edit: Oh! interesting point Choices ... (my brain try to do connection but fail miserably, time to go to bed I guess)

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - May 13, 2005 8:50 am (#144 of 161)

Tomoe' - "On her website, she said Mafalda was supposed to talk with the DE's sons and daughters...."

More information please Tomoe'. Why would Mafalda Hopkirk of the MOM choose to speak to Death Eater's children and what is she supposed to speak with them about? And where? Do you mean the children of the DE's who are in Azkaban or all DE's children? Surely they won't come forth and identify themselves. Please tell us more about this....I'm curious.

- - - - - - - - - -
Tomoé - May 13, 2005 9:41 am (#145 of 161)

Back in business
Not Mafalda Hopkirk, Mafalda, the Weasley cousin. ^_~

- - - - - - - - - -
Choices - May 13, 2005 9:56 am (#146 of 161)

Thanks for that information Tomoe' - I must confess I have never heard of her before.

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - May 25, 2005 12:27 pm (#147 of 161)

I had missed that detail about DE daughters. I wonder if Pansy and Millicent will turn out to be Death Nibblers... again, it seems to be info JKR has concealed by now, since it'd had been very easy to mention some Parkinson or Bullstrode, or even Greengrass (that doesn't sound evil, actually Wink ) in the Graveyard scene... Lucky HBP is not too distant now, I just can't wait anymore to see if we find out something new about the less known Slytherins, specially Theodore!

- - - - - - - - - -
Eric Bailey - May 26, 2005 9:55 am (#148 of 161)

Well, a Bullstrode (at least a parent of Millicent's) is unlikely given that Millicent's a halfblood (according to JKR). Though I now have a mental picture of poor Death Eater Greengrass being given a hard time by the Malfoys and LeStranges for not having an evil enough sounding name. "Even Weasley sounds eviller than Greengrass! Y'know, weasels and stuff..."

- - - - - - - - - -
Ronan - Aug 16, 2005 12:01 pm (#149 of 161)

Nott, after being mysteriously and briefly featured in OP, shows up in HBP even more briefly. He laughed at Hermione being muggle-born with Malfoy... I guess we can cross him out as a good Slytherin Sad

Still, I wonder why he was introduced in book 5 given the tiny and unimportant role he's played so far... the same goes to Blaise, surely it was fun finally seeing him fleshed out as a character, but did he serve any other purpose than showing once again how nasty every Slytherin student is?

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Aug 20, 2005 1:47 pm (#150 of 161)

What I found interesting was the comment Blaise (?) made about Slughorn having heard about Nott's father being one of the DEs captured in the DOM debacle. Remember that Draco was also omitted from Slughorn's select little gathering. Since Blaise was invited, can we assume (I know ... never safe in Jo's world) that Slughorn does not believe the Zabinis to support Voldemort or be DEs? Just wondering what others think ...

Solitaire

Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Theodore Nott Empty Theodore Nott (Post 151 to 161)

Post  Elanor Thu May 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Steve Newton - Aug 20, 2005 3:19 pm (#151 of 161)
Librarian
Solitaire, that's the conclusion that I came to. As obnoxious as Blaise is he doesn't seem to harbor any liking for DEs.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Aug 20, 2005 5:12 pm (#152 of 161)

Who are the Zabinis? If Mum Zabini has been married as many times as we think, who knows what her priorities are?

Blaise could just be ambitious - hence a Slytherin - and climbs on the pureblood wagon to fit in.

Nott could be the same. If he's had no clue up to now that his dad was a Death Eater, he could be one really mixed up kid right now.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Aug 21, 2005 7:28 pm (#153 of 161)

Nott seems smart--probably smarter than Draco. I suspect he knows what his dad was doing. Whether or "nott" he agrees with Dad and plans to follow in his footsteps is another thing.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
timrew - Aug 22, 2005 3:29 pm (#154 of 161)

Middle-aged Harry Potter fan
I don't know about the Zabinis, but with a name like that, they should be good on the trapeze..........

I don't think Nott knew that his dad was a DE; and I think he's going to come good.

- - - - - - - - - -
rambkowalczyk - Aug 26, 2005 6:16 am (#155 of 161)

Nott might very well know his Dad is a death eater especially if Voldemort told him. I say this based on Voldemort's actions. Voldemort had to hesitation about using Draco to his own ends. Granted Voldemort was seeking revenge on Lucius for the ministry fiasco and the diary loss.

But Voldemort could have approached Theodore and suggested that if he wishes to see his father alive he needs to be a death eater. In other words we are all assuming that that Nott is a "typical Slytherin" when in fact he could be blackmailed.

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Oct 8, 2005 11:04 am (#156 of 161)

If he had become a DE, don't you think he would have been in on the business with Draco? He isn't mentioned often in HBP, as I recall. Perhaps he is "Nott" really important, after all.

Solitaire

- - - - - - - - - -
MichaelmasGal - Aug 19, 2006 12:12 am (#157 of 161)

I think Nott would make an excellent character if JKR (or a talented fanfic writer) was to write an "Ender's Shadow" HP after the 7th. Blaise would be a good character to use in this instance as well.

- - - - - - - - - -
Die Zimtzicke - Aug 24, 2006 9:05 am (#158 of 161)

I still think we're going to have to have a Slytherin who goes good if we are going to ever see any unification in the houses, and it's got to be Nott or Zabini. That's just my gut feeling, I concede.

But even though it's been in small bits, the fact that Nott keeps popping up makes me wonder about him.

- - - - - - - - - -
haymoni - Aug 24, 2006 10:29 am (#159 of 161)

I wonder if Nott's a goner because of his father.

It would be easier for Blaise to turn.

Or...maybe Prefect Marcus was partially right - it will be Pansy that turns.

She still confuses me. She shows loyalty to Draco and is in awe of "him" (Voldy), but her insults aren't motivated by bloodlines. Strange.

- - - - - - - - - -
journeymom - Aug 24, 2006 11:38 am (#160 of 161)

May I jump on the Theodore Nott bandwagon at this late date? I just wanted to say how disappointed I was after reading HBP that 1, generally speaking there was no hint of school unity coming from Slytherin House yet (they're all still broadly painted bad guys) and that 2, neither Zabini nor Nott offered a olive branch. Though I didn't think twice about Nott until after reading HBP.

Before HBP came out my money was on Zabini. I wasn't even aware that JKR had a web site, much less aware of the existence of sites like this where grown-ups discuss and analyze the books from front to back. In any case, I only read the bit about Nott not being a joiner after HBP came out, I discovered JKR's web site, read what She said about Nott and the light bulb went on. Zabini was out of the running in my mind, after how Ginny described him.

But having finally read this thread from start to finish, I'll say they both still have potential for being the Slytherin House voice of reason. My gut reaction is that Theodore, even if he doesn't want to follow in his dad's footsteps, didn't appreciate his dad being left behind by Lucius Malfoy.

I really hope, after all the talk about house unity, JKR does redeem the Slytherins some how in Book 7. It will be a let down if she doesn't.

Help me, Book7; you're my only hope. [repeat several times a la Princess Leia]

- - - - - - - - - -
Solitaire - Aug 26, 2006 8:47 am (#161 of 161)

I thought Zabini seemed rather nasty and nearly as arrogant as Malfoy back on the train. As for Nott ... I was disappointed. The only mention I actually remember of him was in the first potions class, where he and Malfoy were sniggering together when Hermione told Slughorn that she was Muggle-born and could not, therefore, have been related to Hector Dagworth-Granger, the founder of the Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers. For some reason, I was hoping for better things from Nott.

Solitaire

Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Theodore Nott Empty Re: Theodore Nott

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: