HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downton Abbey: Season 4

5 posters

Go down

Downton Abbey: Season 4 Empty Downton Abbey: Season 4

Post  shepherdess Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Guess we can start speculating and collecting spoilery news bits. Downton Abbey: Season 4 2752390508
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Downton Abbey: Season 4 Empty Re: Downton Abbey: Season 4

Post  shepherdess Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:35 pm

So Netflix will no longer be streaming Downton Abbey. I was hoping they would show season two (maybe even season 3? Downton Abbey: Season 4 266347159 ). But now only PBS and Amazon will have the series.

Does anyone know how the Amazon thing works? Do you have to have an account to watch shows that are being streamed? Do you have to pay for it?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Solitaire Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:15 am

I sure don't know how it works, but I bet you have to pay. I mean, don't we have to pay for everything ... and then some? Can you check them out from the library on DVD? Some things can be watched online at pbs.org--I've watched individual episodes of Inspector Lewis and Cranford (a year or so ago)--but I have not looked for Downton Abbey. I'll have to check.
Solitaire
Solitaire
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 am

Right now pbs only has previews and shorts. Downton Abbey: Season 4 3276373137  And no, I haven't tried the library. Perhaps I should.
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Solitaire Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:55 am

On the plus side, DA will probably have another marathon right before the new season. They've done this before. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Solitaire
Solitaire
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:08 pm

On Sunday, July 21st, at 8:00 p.m., PBS will be showing "The Secrets of Highclere Castle" as part of their current series on English stately homes. The trailer showed the owners talking about the filming of Downton Abbey - should be interesting!!

I think the programming is national - same date and time throughout the U.S. - but not sure. Future episodes will feature Althorp, the home of Lady Diana Spencer before she was "Princess Di," and Hampton Court, the home of Henry VIII.

Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Solitaire Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:10 pm

Secrets of Highclere Castle has been on before, I think. It sounds very familiar.
Solitaire
Solitaire
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Sirius Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:21 am

The new season premiered last week. Has anyone head anything yet?

Mrs. Sirius
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  HungarianHorntail11 Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Soooo, can we discuss Season 4 and post spoilers?
HungarianHorntail11
HungarianHorntail11
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:46 pm

I think it's fine to discuss season 4, and I'm looking forward to news and opinions. Might still want to put spoilery stuff in spoiler boxes. Downton Abbey: Season 4 2398211921 
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm

I don't think any of this needs a spoiler box, but just in case . . .

Spoiler:
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Spoiler:
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 pm

Spoiler:
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:46 pm

I found the conversation between Mary, Tom and Isobel, about how they knew when they were in love, interesting in light of previous discussions here about Mary's attire during Matthew's proposal. It was sort of like someone connected with the show had been reading here. Not likely; but still interesting that they had Mary explain why she was wearing that sleeveless dress when it was snowing.

Edit: It was Isobel, not Violet.
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:35 pm

Bates knows! affraid 

That means he also knows Anna and Mrs. Hughes lied to him.  Downton Abbey: Season 4 793915934 Downton Abbey: Season 4 2351571793 That could cause as much trouble for his marriage as the rape. It might have been better for them if he had gone to America with Robert. Downton Abbey: Season 4 3906177977 

Oh, dear; Edith... And Rose... Are the writers/producers going out of their way to throw in every conceivable thing that was tabboo at the time? (We've already covered homosexuality and class/status prejudices; now rape, black/white relationships and out-of-wedlock babies.)

So Mary has discarded her black (mourning) clothes and started wearing grey/silver and dark purple/red. Not black, but still dark. I guess this symbolizes that she's no longer actively mourning Matthew and realizes she has to get on with her life, but she hasn't put him behind her far enough to replace him yet. So I'll be watching for her to start wearing lighter/brighter colors (though I really like the pruples and dark reds Downton Abbey: Season 4 2752390508 ).

Have I missed something? Who is Baxter and what hold does Thomas have over her? He got the job for her, didn't he? But there's more than that...?

Was there really only one hair style for women during that time period? Seems that way, judging by the show. Downton Abbey: Season 4 2398211921 
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Sirius Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Shepardess, glad you feel the same about Baxter. I remember her introduction, but some how I missed Thomas' hold on her. I am glad though that she may have found an ally.

The Bates-Anna storyline is getting really scary.

Rose seems to have found a gentleman, and a nice way out of that story thread. I don't believe that there were too many of those relationships until after WWII.

Mary's character is maturing nicely.

Mrs. Sirius
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Baxter seems sincerely happy to be lady's maid to the countess. I think she'd like to keep this job. Thomas is putting her in danger of losing it by expecting her to spy for him. She doesn't seem to like being put in this position, but also seems obligated to tell him what's going on . I'd still like to know what he's using to pressure her with. And what will Thomas do about her allying herself with Molesly? Actually, James doesn't seem to happy about that alliance either.

I can't remember why Rose hates her mother so much to be willing to risk ruining her own future for revenge? It's too bad the singer didn't break it off before Mary visited him. Now Rose is going to resent Mary for making it happen when it would have anyway.

So, do you guys think Bates killed Mr. Green? On the one hand, he has proven himself in the past to be an honorable man and it's hard for me to believe he'd go that far for revenge. On the other hand, he was very angry and he deliberately went to York. And he felt guilty for not preventing the attack. He might have felt he could at least carry out justice and eliminate further discomfort for Anna.

But I think he's also angry with Anna for lying to him. I was a little uncomfortable with the way he reminded her of how much she had liked Mr. Green when he first arrived. To me it was as if he was trying to hurt her because she had hurt him by lying instead of telling him it was Mr. Green in the first place. Or maybe it was just his way of letting her know that he knows. But I'm sure he wanted to know what her reaction would be --perhaps hoping that she would finally be honest with him?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:13 pm

I missed a few episodes and need to catch up . . . but does Lady Edith have a maid? Surely she does, if Mary and Cora each have their own. Wouldn't her maid have noticed her condition? Is anything known about Michael other than that he is missing?

I rather liked the practical pig man for Mary, rather than Tony (can't remember his name).

I think Bates went to Yorkshire to threaten Mr. Green. I don't think Bates would be a match for Mr. Green in any physical confrontation, and have a hard time believing he would kill Mr. Green . . . but he seems to be keeping secrets from Anna, just as she kept secrets from him.

I don't really like the teacher who seems to have her eye on Tom - she reminds me too much of Edna.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down