HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Efforts to Archive WX Threads

+9
Thom Matheson
Verity Weasley
Madam Pince
Mona
John Bumbledore
Elanor
Lady Arabella
Julia H.
Potteraholic
13 posters

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Ooops, i forgot to mention a formatting note...

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 am

I've been looking at the different posts that have been archived so far, with this in mind: how user-friendly is this and easy to navigate? At the end of the day, we want these archived threads to be easy to navigate, right?

Here is a sample of how posts have been archived: (I just copied and pasted text in the edit option)

Sample 1

Carina - Nov 2, 2002 9:00 pm (#2 of 278)
SP, I have loved this theory ever since you suggested it! I think it explains so much!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hamuera - Nov 2, 2002 9:03 pm (#3 of 278)
Plus how else would a giant squid get into a lake????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Choco* - Nov 2, 2002 9:05 pm (#4 of 278)
Edited by Nov 2, 2002 9:13 pm
I also like this theory. If you think about it, the squid is a giant, powerful being hidden under the calm, unruffled surface of the lake. Likewise Dumbledore has great power hidden behind a mild exterior; his rage manifests only in times of great trouble, like in the end of GoF. I'm sure that the squid could do great damage if provoked; the same holds true for Dumbledore.

And, it seems like something Dumbledore would do - learn how to turn into a giant squid just because he could! He would get great vacation benefits: on hot summer days, he could laze around in a picaresque lake right in his own backyard. He could keep an eye on students at the same time, making sure they don't fall in the water.

Sample 2

Solitaire - May 9, 2010 11:03 pm (#2005 of 2055)
Harry may think of it that way, because it is the first place in his life where he has found friendship and acceptance. (BTW, did DD say that Harry had to "think" it was home? I didn't remember that ... but then I've forgotten a lot, too.) But the bottom line is that sealing the Blood Charm apparently is what kept Harry alive all those years. Surely the DEs who were out and about knew where he was living, and he wasn't in the house 24/7. I can't believe there weren't attempts to "get at him" during those years. I just think DD's spells kept him safe.

Honour - May 10, 2010 3:30 am (#2006 of 2055)
Y'know Solitaire it's been awhile since I read that too! I too have forgotten alot and sometimes I think my recollections could well be contaminated by those blimmin' movies!

..shuffles off muttering to self in a bewildered fashion ... : )

Sample 3

S.E. Jones - May 15, 2004 9:43 am (#1 of 2901)

Thanks Liz. I hadn't even heard half of those rumors, they were funny! I'm still roaming around the site now. As for the Voldie thing, I think Saralinda's nicknames have gotten a wider distribution around the internet that she ever thought they would when she created them. When most of our membership use terms like "Voldie" or "Voldilocks" we remember Saralinda and the way she had of posting which puts the terms in context, but other sites that have picked the terms up don't and may overuse them just a tadbit....

tracie1976 - May 15, 2004 9:46 am (#2 of 2901)

In the Ginny thread I was asked to post the link so since we have this thread I'll post it here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Star Crossed - May 15, 2004 3:32 pm (#3 of 2901)

Poor Ginny. No wonder she gets everyone to call her that.

The thing that made me laugh was the comment about no more of 'Voldie'. So sad. I did love calling him that. However, she never said anything against 'Dork Lard', did she? Wink

I found that the posts with less spaces between each post were easier to navigate because the extra spaces would make me want to scroll down more often, but then the scrolling would go too fast, and I'd miss posts, then need to go back, then go too far up, then go back, etc. (Whether you bold a poster's name and date of post is a stylistic choice, I think, and had no bearing on me as I was reading posts. But the spaces were more of an issue for me.) Also, if there were less spaces between WX posts, more info. could be posted in each post, from 25 to 30 or even 35, etc. That would mean less pages to use and make an index for in the header thread. This would help with some of those lengthier threads.

So while we're in the process of figuring out how to reposts archived threads, I think it would be good for folks to revise the formatting of things they've got saved. Microsoft Word has that handy FIND/REPLACE feature to find these extra spaces and delete them. That's what I did with the HP Quizzes and Riddle documents I had; I removed all the extra spaces between questions before I posted them. If you don't have MS WORD, there's a free 30-day trial version that's downloadable. I do think less spaces in posts makes them more user-friendly to the reader, and that's our ultimate goal, right, that these threads, once reposted, are actually read by lots of HP fans?

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508 Hang in there! These posts of mine will soon be a thing of the past, once we all get into the swing of reposting. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 464751818
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Questions about the locked forum and creating new threads

Post  Elanor Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:58 am

Hi PaH!

I agree it looks better when there are less spaces between posts. I did remove all the extra spaces thanks to Word in my saved files. I also put a line of "- - - - - - - - - - -" to separate posts. I found out that it was a great way to make formatting easy with replacing the "-------------------------------------------------------------------------------" line with "- - - - - - - - - - - [*b]", and then replacing "of 100)" with "of 100)[*/b]" (assuming the thread was 100 post long) using the Find/Replace function. The white line may be neater but I have difficulties seeing it sometimes in posts and, when formatting, I find it more straining for my eyes to find the small [*hr] code than a line of dashes.

About the locked forums, I was about to start reposting another thread when I saw that, with the forums locked, I can't add another thread. So I thought that before doing a mistake playing with the "unlock/lock" features, I'd better ask those who know Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 1003735042:

1) Do we need to unlock the "sub-forum" only (like the "Hogwarts Students During the Harry Potter Years" one) or do we have to unlock the whole "Archived WC Threads" big folder first, and then the sub-folder and then create a new thread?
(unless unlocking the big folder automatically unlocks the sub-folders?)

2) When the new thread is created step two should be to relock the forums, right? In which order should we do that (assuming we have to unlock both whole folder and sub-folder to create the new thread)?
Logic tells me we should first relock the sub-forum and then the big one but then again, logic and computers... Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2281877974
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Questions for the Staff (Technical Questions, Issues and Suggestions)

Post  Potteraholic Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Elanor: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

I have to pick up my class from lunch! Ciao!
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty "Making a list" Well, this is a list and PAH made it.

Post  John Bumbledore Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:54 am

PAH, about that list you were working on. Why not delegate the updates?

I your post hplf.forumotion.com/t44p60-efforts-to-archive-wx-threads#2122 (quoted below you have a list of us with links to our posted list. Well, you created an index. So I followed my link and updated my posted list.

Potteraholic wrote:Okay, since nothing else can be archived, except for threads folks are finding by Googling and finding caches of info. here and there, I'm going to try and update the Archived Threads table. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 793915934 You've all been so busy, so there are loads of posts to read and sort through. I thinki I'll need to open 2 windows. Let's see how it goes... Wish me luck! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670

Edit: UGH.... I can't look at any more BBCode.... affraid Shocked pale

Maybe I can make a list of everyone's info. posts with links here. That's much easier to do...

[You must be
registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[url=]- name, date
ACK!!! 3 1/2 more pages of posts to go? affraid I'm never going to to get caught up! Well, I'll try again tomorrow, I guess. There's just too much....

Edit: John, can you do me a favor? I have an extra pair of [/tr][/tr] above my table. I've made the code visible for the table. Can you spot the errant pair? Or at least give me some idea of how to find them amongst that sea of gobbledygook? Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 1437562208 Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 793915934 Thanks!

Edit by John 29-Apr-2011
I took a look at the topic header some time ago and made corrections (I also think and hope I added a comment with date). **I must practice my standard moderator procedures (SMP) as a trainee moderator**, ~ John

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Edited by John 4/30/2011 01:08 PM (EDT USA)
Well I new I had to look about again. Posts have changed and I see your list in the topic header is of links to our list. I updated my link. So I guess you had already thought to what I was suggesting.

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added edit note)
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Re: Efforts to Archive WX Threads

Post  Mona Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:14 pm

Quick question to the 'formatters' those who have already done some formatting. I've got Microsoft Word 2010 on my computer. Is it the same version that you all have got? I'll try to experiment with it as soon as I get the time.
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty This is not a summary... don't see the point of trying to write one, to be honest.

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:51 pm

I have another question, but I don't expect I'll get much of a response. Still, might as well put it out there...

Now that we have a specific category for the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], will we need another set of those folders for new discussions of those archived topics here on forumotion? I'm asking this in response to Denise's question and shepherdess' response to it on the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thread:

Denise P. wrote:You will notice that I put all the archived folders into a single folder. Since they are all in the Archived section, seems kinda redundant to have Archived from WX in the individual titles as well....opinions?
shepherdess wrote:My question would be: Is there going to be a seperate folder/forum for archiving forumotion threads? If so, just having "Archived from WX" in the top folder would be enough and having it in the individual titles would be unnessary. But if forumotion threads are going to be archived in the same folder, then thread titles should designate which forum and "Archived from WX" should be removed from the top folder.
Denise P. wrote:When the time comes that threads from this forum need to be archived, they would have a separate place, not be put into the WX Archives.
So, what happens if someone wants to revive a topic that's in the Archived WX folder? It is technically going to be a new, live, forumotion post, right? So, I think that when folks finish reposting whatever archived threads they've got, they should be locked. And I think we're going to need duplicate sets of threads/topics on the main page, like in the list John [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Elanor, locking and unlocking topics is easy to do. It's like turning a light switch on and off. There's no way to mess up. Locking a topic just means a non-moderator can't post there. So go ahead and unlock the individual topic you want to work on and post away! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508 The LOCK option is located at the bottom right hand corner of the page.

Hope that helps.

Edit:I'm going to update the tables of Archived threads once and for all today. When you've reposted something, let me know via a quick message here and I'll update the table with a in the last column. Then I'm going to work on The Five Words Stories and HP Riddles Archives, since I've got a clear plan for those. I'm going to leave the rest of the archiving procedural stuff to those of you with other threads to repost to figure out and come to some sort of agreement amongst yourselves. I've tried to help, but I think I've just overloaded you all with too much to think about and respond to.

Good luck!

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Tables of Archived Threads are done... there are 5!

Post  Potteraholic Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Okay, folks. The tables are done and can be found here:

Index of Tables of Threads Archived from World Crossing

• Table of Threads Archived from World Crossing, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
• Table of Threads Archived from World Crossing, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

&#*8730; (no *) = √

Let me know via a message here when you've reposted your threads and I'll update these tables. I will post this index in this topic's header post for easy reference.

There's a lot of info. on these tables, and I think I got everything in — I listed the info. under each section in ABC order by archivist's name — but if I left anything out, just let me know what the name of the thread and which section it's in.

So now that the table's done, I'll leave it up to you folks... happy reposting! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:40 pm

I am not sure what you mean. If someone wants to re-discuss an archived thread, just start a new discussion. Once it runs its course or reaches a size where it is too large, just lock it and move it into a newer archive that is specific to the posts that were generated here.

I put a countdown clock on the homepage, I don't know how to get it on every forum unless I put it in a post and make it a global announcement
Denise P.
Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor Sun May 01, 2011 2:37 pm

PaH:
Elanor, locking and unlocking topics is easy to do. It's like turning a light switch on and off. There's no way to mess up.
Okay, now I am worried... You know what they say: "If there's a wand keyboard, there's a way"! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2281877974
(Just kidding, thanks for the information, I'll try it tomorrow after class. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670)

Great work on the Index of tables! It will be very handy!
I noticed a "(??) Oops - Not Sure Where these Originated - " section and I thought maybe I could help with that. I searched the Word document in which I had copied the titles of the threads on the WX page and here's what I found:

Our Thread for Eating Crow --> Opinions Group Section Folder
- - Questions We’d Like Answered --> Opinions Group Section Folder (However, in my file the thread is called "Questions I'd like Answered")
- - Beyond the Closed Door--> Archived Threads to Be Worked Group Folder
- - The Meaning/Importance of Hair -->Archived Threads to Be Worked Group Folder (Under the name: "The Hidden Meaning in Hair" in my document)
- - Thank You Jo Rowling, for … -->Opinions Group Section Folder
- - What Would You Ask JKR? --> Opinions Group Section Folder
- - Runes and Symbolic Meanings -->The World and HP Group Section Folder (In my files called: "Runes and Symbolic Meanings in the books")

Hope that helps. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Thanks, Elanor!

Post  Potteraholic Sun May 01, 2011 2:43 pm

I will update the tables some time today. Just to clarify, the Oops?? title was not mine... it's what was written on someone's list.

I'm interested to see how all/many/some of these posts will be reposted. :puzzled:

In any case, in my reposting, I mistakenly erased any checkmarks that were in the tables before. So the updating of 'threads reposted' will have to start from scratch. Please let me know what you'd like me to check off. Thanks! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508

Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty John, look at your header message in the threads you've archived... / Elanor, edits made to the table...

Post  Potteraholic Mon May 02, 2011 5:37 pm

John, I came across a typo in your header message box: 'World' is missing an 'r'.

John Bumbledore wrote:This topic was opened to archive the above titled thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum (HPLF) as it was created and hosted on Wold Crossing (WX) until WX ceased operation on 15 April 2011.
Thought you might like to know before you reposted any more archived threads.

Edit: Elanor, thanks for your info. The table has been updated. If anyone would like me to place a checkmark/tick in anything in the reposted column, let me know. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508

Mona, re: your recent question in the 'Questions' threads, you may want to read [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and shepherdess' response which directly follows it.

Edit 3: Howdy, folks. Just thought I'd let you know that I asked Denise [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to open some more folders (14 to be exact) for the Archived WX Threads Section on the Main Page. I used [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and I chose the most straightforward folders. (With the other ones left, it seemed like there'd need to be some sorting, reclassifying, etc.)

I wonder, why does 'HP and the Deathly Hallows Chapter Folder (39 discussions)' need its own folder? Can't it go in the 'Harry Potter Book Read Along' one? It seems odd to have that one book, of all 7, as a stand-alone thread. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2398211921

Last edited by Potteraholic on Tue May 03, 2011 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Read Along Threads

Post  Julia H. Tue May 03, 2011 2:32 am

About the Read Along threads:

There is a HBP Read Along as a separate thread as well. I have no idea why. I agree that the Read Along threads could all go to one place. We need to label them (by date, probably), however, as there are several ones for the same book. Some Read Alongs originally consisted of several threads (like Chapter 1-4 was one thread) - I confess I put those into one file. They can still be separated if that's what you prefer.

So here are some questions: Shall I separate (again) the posts belonging to the same read-along process but originally different threads? The only advantage that I see is that the numbering of the posts would look more logical (and the overall picture would be more similar to the original one). Or would you like the posts belonging to the same read-along to be in the same thread? That would reduce the number of threads. (Those threads would consist of a few hundred posts only.) Shall we have separate subgroups for the different books? Like: Read Along Threads --> PS/SS Read Alongs; CoS Read Alongs etc. I don't really think we need such specific categories, but I thought I'd ask. On the other hand, we had the current (and perhaps not yet fully dead?) Series Read Along as a separate category. It may be worth keeping that, especially while there is hope that we might continue it still... Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 1205762161
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Read-Along folder

Post  Potteraholic Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 am

Julia H. wrote:I agree that the Read Along threads could all go to one place. We need to label them (by date, probably), however, as there are several ones for the same book. Some Read Alongs originally consisted of several threads (like Chapter 1-4 was one thread) - I confess I put those into one file. They can still be separated if that's what you prefer.
I'm reading 'you' as the collective 'you' (group of archivists) and not just the singular 'you'. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508 So what does everyone else think?

Re: your other questions, I dunno what makes sense to other people, but for me, the simpler the better. If I was new to the forum, and wanted to read about Book 1, I'd look for it in the 'Harry Potter Book Read Along' folder, look for a Table of Contents or Index with all the books listed, and click on the link that was called 'Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone' (with all the posts relating to that discussion in there). I'm talking about links in a header the way Elanor has done in both Alchemy threads. Then there'd be another link to posts within that same thread for Book 2, etc., so there'd be 7 links in all in the header page. I don't think each chapter would need its own thread, either. Posts could just be reposted in succession in one thread.

Example:

Harry Potter Book Read Along header page

Index
• Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone (each book title linked to the start of that book's discussion)
• Chamber of Secrets
• Prisoner of Azkkaban
• Goblet of Fire
• Order of the Phoenix
• Half-Blood Prince
• Deathly Hallows

If the idea of making a linked index in the header page to different posts in a thread sounds daunting, then 7 different threads, 1 for each book, in the 'Harry Potter Book Read Along' folder, would work just fine, I think.

But that's just what I think. It'd be really good to hear what others think, too, IMHO.

EDIT 2: I just created a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in the Practice Forum to illustrate my idea. It may be easier to understand the words with a concrete example to look at. Or not. Worth a try. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508

EDIT: Thought it'd be good to post shepherdess' post from the 'Questions to Staff ' thread here:

shepherdess wrote:...does Archived WX = Closed? Yes.

...do new discussions need new/current forumotion folders? Yes.

If new discussions are started in folders designated Archived WX... They won't be.

I hope that helps without sounding short, because I'm not trying to be short. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508

Last edited by Potteraholic on Tue May 03, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : various typos and added shepherdess' comment for the 'Questions to Staff' thread)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Wed May 04, 2011 12:37 am

I think your suggested formatting for the Read along thread looks very good, PAH. Very simple and well organized. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 266347159

I've stared posting the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] in the Archived threads section. Can you have a look and tell me if the formatting is OK? Is there still too much space between posts? I haven't yet added the index etc. to the opening post.

(Edited)
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Reposted threads so far

Post  Elanor Wed May 04, 2011 2:20 am

That looks great to me Mona! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670

All you've suggested about the read along threads sounds very logical to me too.

PaH:
If anyone would like me to place a checkmark/tick in anything in the reposted column, let me know.
I've just reposted two short threads this morning and I'm planning on posting more before this evening (once school work is done. It always feels like a bottomless pit... I'm sure the forum's teachers will know exactly what I mean. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 3906177977 But anyways, it will feel good to say "enough school work" at some point. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 464751818). I'll post a list of what I've done so far after this evening too then.

BTW, there's something 'funny' about the locked threads: I couldn't unlock the forum per se when I tried at first and then I found out that I needn't have to unlock it: if I put my mouse on the "locked" icon there is the "start new topic" appearing on the 'information box' over my mouse and if I click on it, it does open a new topic. Same then for posting replies: there are two "locked" boxes at the bottom of the screen and clicking on the right one opens the "reply" box for me.
I first scratch my head and then just didn't bother to find out why it worked that way. Sometimes, especially when it comes to computers in my book, it's better just to cheers when it works and don't ask for more. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 1003735042

EDIT: Here is my list (I'm using the one I posted here as a summary for you PaH, changing the "N" for a "Y" in those lines, thought it might be easier for you to keep track of things that way).

Current Discussions Between Members
EL, Forum meeting in Europe -- Accio ´05 and future meetings., Current Discussions Between Members, Y

Hogwarts Students During the Harry Potter Years
EL, Other Students of Hogwarts, Hogwarts Students During the HP Years, Y
EL, Ginny Weasley, Hogwarts Students During the HP Years, Y
EL, Blaise Zabini, Hogwarts Students During the HP Years, Y
EL, Cho Chang (posts from Nov 12, 2003 to Mar 24, 2004), Hogwarts Students During the HP Years, Y

The World and the HP Phenomenon
EL, Alchemy Symbols: Silver to Gold/ 4 Temperaments part I, The World and the HP Phenomenon, Y
EL, Alchemy Symbols: Silver to Gold/ 4 Temperaments part II, The World and the HP Phenomenon, Y

My goal is to post at least one per day in the following weeks (length of the threads depending on the kind of day I had at school... Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2281877974). Slowly but surely I should make it. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670

Last edited by Elanor on Wed May 04, 2011 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 pm

PAH, I absolutely like your suggestion about the organization of the Read Along threads. Having said that, I'm sure I'll have more questions as soon as I start the reposting. I have spent some time studying the various ideas and suggestions above. Cool I have also discovered you have asked Denise to make some more folders for us. Most of the threads I've saved will go into one of those categories, so I'll just wait until Denise opens those folders and then I'll start experimenting. (Or maybe I'll do some reposting in the practice folder...)

I like the idea that eventually WX archived threads might be moved next to the current/active threads of the same topics. But I guess there is still time before we need to make a decision about that...
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Re: Read Along thread idea... thanks, Mona and Elanor! Edit: And Julia!

Post  Potteraholic Wed May 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Mona, the Draco folder's posts look beautiful! Lovely job! Isn't the FIND/REPLACE option on Word the best thing?

Elanor, looking forward to updating the table with your reposted threads! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508 And, I meant to say this earlier, and forgot. (I don't have time to look for the actual post to link it to...) Your tip about creating an INDEX Word document as you post the posts one-by-one is such a great one and will definitely be a time-saver. Then, when I'm done, I can just post the index all in one fell swoop instead of having to do so many edits. I am doing that with the HP Riddles Archive at the moment.

And thanks for your response about my Read Along thread idea. Now, off to Five Words, and then to the Office to photocopoy some fractions, decimals, and percents review for the State math test coming up next week! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 3906177977

Edit: Thanks, Julia. I hope Denise can find some time to open those folders soon.

Edit 2: Re: your 2nd question:

Julia H. wrote:I like the idea that eventually WX archived threads might be moved next to the current/active threads of the same topics. But I guess there is still time before we need to make a decision about that...
Over the past few days, I've been wondering why we even have to have 2 separate folders for the same topics: an Archived WX and a forumotion (FM) one. I think it would be enough to have 'WX' in each archived post's title, and then once the archived posts have all been reposted, to use the remainder of that thread's pages and posts for current discussion. Since each FM thread has 67 pages with 15 posts per page, there are going to be LOADS of unused pages on these WX Archived threads. It seems a shame to waste them. If a folder could be part WX Archive and part FM current discussion, I think:

1) it would mean less clutter on the main page, and less to navigate, to my mind anyway.

2) it would be easier for folks to look at old posts and then use them to spark new ideas and discussions. Having to go between 2 different folders might make that less likely.

But I dunno... I tend to stick to the Potty Games thread. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2281877974

Edit 3: Denise and shepherdess take care of those sort of things. I'll stick to updating the Archived threads tables, and reposting the Riddles and Five Words stories Archives. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Re: the Topics Lady A created in the 'Archiving Threads From World Crossing' folder

Post  Potteraholic Wed May 04, 2011 1:14 pm

Lady A,

The topics you created in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], thinking they were threads/categories:

- Opinions on All Things Harry Potter
- The World and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
- Magical Items, Spells and Potions
- Magical Creatures and Plants
- Potter-pouri Observations and Questions
- Predictions
- Theories (of all Types)
- Wizards, Witches, Muggles, Squibs, Ghosts, etc.

will either need to be renamed to topics you have archived and will repost, or they need to be deleted, with other ones opened anew.

We haven't seen you around, lately. Hope all is well. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508

Last edited by Potteraholic on Wed May 04, 2011 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling in post title)
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Thought re: John's idea for an intro. paragraph in header posts?

Post  Potteraholic Wed May 04, 2011 3:48 pm

I've had a look at some threads that folks have reposted and wondered if there was going to be an intro. paragraph included in the header post, as John suggested in the early days of this thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]I suggest we include a brief introduction on archive topic header post. (That is the very first post that starts a new topic). I plan to including the first post of the WX thread being archived in the header post as the contents of the Topic post/header when I start a new archive.

Here is an example:

This topic was opened to archive the above titled thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum (HPLF) as it was created and hosted on World Crossing (WX) until WX ceased operation on 15 April 2011.
(Note well: Embedded images and links were not saved in this text based process. Written URLs were made active links, and some character based emoticons were recognized and replaced with graphic emoticons automatically by the ForuMotion software.)

+ JK Rowling Official Site Vol. 1 (15 May 2004 - 9 Nov 2004)

Liz Mann - May 15, 2004 9:39 am (#0 of 2901)
Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 1:56 am

The above was produced by the following code:
Code:
[quote][color=#300080]This topic was opened to archive the above titled thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum (HPLF) as it was created and hosted on World Crossing (WX) until WX ceased operation on 15 April 2011.
[size=10]([i]Note well: Embedded images and links were not saved in this text based process.  Written URLs were made active links, and some character based emoticons were recognized and replaced with graphic emoticons automatically by the ForuMotion software.)[/size][/i][/color][/quote]
[HR][Size=18][B] + JK Rowling Official Site Vol. 1 (15 May 2004 - 9 Nov 2004)[/B][/Size]
[hr][b]Liz Mann[/b] - May 15, 2004 9:39 am (#0 of 2901)
[b][size=9]Edited by Kip Carter Nov 17, 2005 1:56 am[/size][/b]
Each of us would use our own member name or such and perhaps one's own words introducing the archive. Here is one archive I have just updated in this fashion: Link ⇒ [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also have my profile setting such that by default I do not include my signature that you see following this sentence. I think it minimizes disruption of the archive and keeps it more cohesive.

What do people think about including this intro. paragraph in the header post?
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Thu May 05, 2011 1:07 am

Thanks, Audrey and PAH. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508

Find/Replace is the best thing ever! It's like waving a magic wand! cheers

I think having the intro. Paragraph is a good idea. However I'm planning to first repost all my threads, and then work on the header posts, index, etc.

I'm also planning to edit and reformat the posts in the threads I'd already posted, to reduce spaces and alter lines etc.
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Re: Mona's reposting plans

Post  Potteraholic Thu May 05, 2011 5:52 am

Sure thing, Mona! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2752390508 And great plan! Everyone's got to find out the system that works best for them. And FIND/REPLACE is like a magic wand! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 266347159

Mona, I don't know if you'd be interested in the Snape doc I have that I used to create the 'Practice Snape thread' in the Practice Forum. I copied and pasted what you had on each page already, then took out the extra lines and spaces, etc. and added [*hr]. It wasn't all of one thread, but at least half. Let me know if you'd like it.
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Elanor Thu May 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Hi all! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670

Just popping in to say I've saved my thread of the day (the Theodore Nott thread, I don't have enough energy left to tackle the Neville one this evening, but as we say "tomorrow's not dead!" Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 1003735042).

Plenty of good ideas too! I will need a clearer mind to be able to write something coherent (hopefully) about them though but I'll get back to them this weekend.

The Find/Replace thingy in Word is indeed like magic! Glad you like it Mona! Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2222139670

If anybody's interested, I've created a kind of template to make creating an index faster. If you'd like it, just post it here and I'll send it to you wit joy.

As for now, it's more grading, dinner and Sleep time for me (I hope in that order Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 2281877974)!
Elanor
Elanor
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Thu May 05, 2011 11:46 pm

PAH, please send the Snape doc to me. Every little bit counts! And Audrey, the template sounds helpful. Can you send it to me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 Empty Power Tools can lead to Power Errors too!

Post  John Bumbledore Fri May 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Potteraholic wrote:John, I came across a typo in your header message box: 'World' is missing an 'r'.

John Bumbledore wrote:This topic was opened to archive the above titled thread from the Harry Potter Lexicon Forum (HPLF) as it was created and hosted on Wold Crossing (WX) until WX ceased operation on 15 April 2011.

Thought you might like to know before you reposted any more archived threads.

PAH, I thank you. Spelling is one great bane for me. I have corrected the spelling error in my archivist notes.

Now I am sorting out a side effect of using Excel formulas to format my archival posts. Seems if a member has "signed" their post with a separate line beginning with or or two hyphens, then Excel expects it to be a formula with a named range and complains with a "#Name?" in place of the original text.

If any moderator should encounter in an archive I've made any post ending with the line "#Name?" then please direct it to my attention. Perhaps a link here or by PM. Then I'll pull my archive file and fix it.

Last edited by John Bumbledore on Fri May 06, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Bumbledore
John Bumbledore
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

http://HPLF-work.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

Funny things like that have been happening to me too. For instance, there's a forumer on the Hermione thread who signs off as *michelle the librarian**, and whenever that comes up, the line and spaces are not Found and Replaced. Efforts to Archive WX Threads - Page 6 262381063
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next