HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

+12
HungarianHorntail11
Ludicrous Patents Office
Dryleaves
Betelgeuse Black
Madam Pince
azi
Lady Arabella
Choices
Julia H.
Verity Weasley
Puck
Potteraholic
16 posters

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Go down

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 Empty Re: Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am

Congratulations Julia, you've done it again! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2942856553 The answer is Barnabas the Barmy - the tapestry on the seventh floor of the wizard teaching trolls ballet.

People come and people go,
I see them all,

Barnabas the Barmy is positioned opposite the Room of Requirement, sometimes known as the Come and Go Room.
Because I have a stray pet, so
Be tall.

I was trying to include some hints about ballet and the fact that it is a tapestry rather than a painting, without being too obvious, so I included a couple of anagrams here. Stray Pet = Tapestry. Be Tall = Ballet.
Some people think I'm foolish, some people think I'm mad
Some people just think he's Barmy!
But I love art, with all my heart, and that just can't be bad
He's obviously a big lover of ballet to attempt to teach it to trolls.
To owls and other animals I'm a welcoming friend
A hint towards the 'Barn' part of his name.
But I might get unravelled at the end.
The key word here is unravelled, as he is made of thread.

Congratulations again Julia! You truly are the riddle master! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 1003735042
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 Empty Re: Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II)

Post  Julia H. Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:50 am

Oh, LOL! Thanks, Verity! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508

That was a witty riddle, and I wasn't at all sure that Barnabas the Barmy would be the correct answer because I couldn't figure out all the clues. I didn't solve the anagrams at all - it's a clever idea, and I'll have to remember it for future riddles. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 464751818 (Then again, trolls are tall, so it seemed it might still be all right.) I didn't get the "barn" reference either, but I could see Mrs Norris (and other cats) unravelling the tapestry with great enjoyment! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 1003735042

I need some time to come up with a new riddle. I'll try to make one this weekend.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm so sorry about the delay - it's been a bit hectic recently. I'm going to have a short holiday now, and I'll try to think of a riddle. In the meantime, if anyone would like to post a riddle, please, feel free to do it. See you in a few days! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Here is a riddle finally. I wish it were worth the long time you had to wait for it. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 1437562208 Come and guess the answer! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508

Secret heirloom or a gift
Coming from the ancient source
Till an unusual shift
Forever changes my course.

Asset, burden and surprise
(It’s not easy to be wise)
My allegiance I divide
One day, I will leave each side.

Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for posting the riddle Julia. My first guess is the Sorting Hat.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:19 am

Thanks for the first guess, Verity! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508 I really like it, but the Sorting Hat is not the answer I'm thinking of.

Keep guessing, please.

Till an unusual shift

My allegiance I divide

Guessed: The Sorting Hat.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:51 am

I'm going to venture a guess......is it the Hufflepuff Cup that Tom Riddle stole from Hepzibah Smith and turned into a horcrux?
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for the guess, Choices! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508 It's another good guess, but the Hufflepuff Cup is not the answer to the riddle. Both you and Verity have interpreted some of the clues correctly.

So: Keep guessing, please. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 464751818

Till an unusual shift

My allegiance I divide

Guessed: The Sorting Hat, the Hufflepuff Cup that Tom Riddle stole from Hepzibah Smith and turned into a horcrux.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Is it Slytherin's ring or the Resurrection Stone inside it?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for the guess, Shepherdess, but the answer is neither the ring nor the Resurrection Stone inside it. (Did the ring belong to Slytherin? It belonged to Marvolo Gaunt, and I think he boasted that it had come from the Peverells. Or was Slytherin a Peverell descendant, too?) It is a good guess, though. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508 You are all looking in the correct direction.

Keep guessing, please. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 464751818

Till an unusual shift

My allegiance I divide

Guessed: The Sorting Hat, the Hufflepuff Cup that Tom Riddle stole from Hepzibah Smith and turned into a horcrux, Slytherin's ring or the Resurrection Stone inside it.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:19 am

Given the direction of the guesses, we may as well get Slytherin's locket out of the way so the guessing can continue. Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 464751818
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Julia, is it Harry's ability to speak Parceltongue?
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:51 pm

That's another good guess, Verity, though Slytherin's locket is still not the answer. Mona, however, has found it - it is indeed Parseltongue or the ability to speak it. Congratulations! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508

The explanation:

The ability - or gift - of Parseltongue is passed from generation to generation among the descendants of Salazar Slytherin.
Till an unusual shift

When Baby Harry survives Voldemort's curse, Parseltongue is passed on in an unusual way and to someone outside the family.

The ability to communicate with snakes comes in handy sometimes, but it generates suspicion and hostility as well. It also causes quite a surprise firstly in the Zoo, secondly at the Duelling Club.
My allegiance I divide
Both Harry and Voldemort make use of this gift - with very different purposes and results.
Slytherin's heir dies, while Harry loses the ability to speak Parseltongue - so each side loses its most famous Parselmouth.

Guessed: The Sorting Hat, the Hufflepuff Cup that Tom Riddle stole from Hepzibah Smith and turned into a horcrux, Slytherin's ring or the Resurrection Stone inside it, Slytherin's locket.

Well done, Mona! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2942856553 I look forward to your riddle!
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Yea! Well done, Mona! Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:18 am

Thanks Julia and Choices! I'm sorry I missed this for so long, and now I have to think of a riddle, so if anyone else has a riddle handy, they're welcome to post it! Smile
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:56 pm

If anyone is still reading this, here's a new riddle. It's not a brain-buster (I can neither write them, nor solve them  Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 1437562208 ), it's just fun for a sleepy winter afternoon. Enjoy!

For the first three lines, each line is a clue to one syllable of the word. The last line is a clue to the word itself.

With a lisp on the tongue, I'm the opposite of "more."
Mais c'est moi! Leave an "n" as you enter at the door.
Tuck it over, tuck it under, don't just drop it on the floor.
I come gliding, softly sliding, to devour as you snore.
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Lady A, I love that you posted a riddle, but I have to confess that I am not good at solving them.  I have tried with this one and I am completely puzzled.  For the first line I get "less", for the second that starts off with French I figured it was French for enter which is entrer or "etrer" when you drop the N.  The third line made me think of a "scarf or muffler" - that adds up to "Less-etrer-scarf" or "less-etrer-muffler".  Now, what comes gliding in to consume while I sleep, I have no clue.  I hope someone else will take the challenge and solve this.  I'm curious to see what it is.   Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508

Last edited by Choices on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:36 pm

It's great to see another riddle, and an intriguing one, too!  cheers Lady Arabella, thanks for posting it! I have no guess yet (I'm afraid we are all out of practice now), but I'll give it some thought at the weekend the latest and I'll try to come up with something (unless someone else solves it until then). 

This is one of my favourite threads, so I definitely want to take part in solving your riddle!  Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 2752390508
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Choices, try the first word again with a lisp.  Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 464751818 
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:00 pm

I wish I could say I had an "ah-ha" moment and solved it, but alas.....earwax. I was pronouncing "less" like "lys", sort of lispy, but it didn't help me.  Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 3276373137  I'll keep thinking.  scratch 
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Thank you Lady A, for reviving the riddle thread!  Potty Games - Riddles Only (Vol. II) - Page 31 1003735042 

I have to confess that I read the riddle yesterday and the clues are so well thought-out that the answer came to me very quickly. However, I didn't want to post the solution because it would spoil the fun of others who wanted to guess. So I will post my guess now in a spoiler box, so Lady A can see it, but no one else has to look.

Spoiler:
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Spoiler:

It's a great riddle Lady A. I think I just try to make them more complicated than they really are.  scratch 
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Arabella Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Spoiler:
Lady Arabella
Lady Arabella
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:23 pm

OK, Lady A inspired me to compose a riddle.  It is so easy I'm sure it will be guessed right away, but nevertheless, here it is:

You come to me when you seek relief, but within me one finds only grief.  With whispered words your command you speak, and suddenly my adit you breach.  Here is the unknown, long and deep, here something frightful you're bound to meet.  What am I?

Last edited by Choices on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Is it the Womping Willow?
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 32 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32  Next