HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter in Pop Culture

+8
shepherdess
Verity Weasley
Potteraholic
Hogwarts Class of 85
Solitaire
freshwater
Odo the Hero
Madam Pince
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Harry Potter in Pop Culture Empty Harry Potter in Pop Culture

Post  Madam Pince Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Saw an entry in TV Guide magazine today that was discussing one of the main characters in the show Damages. It said "Finally we meet the man who helped mold Patty into the terrifying legal Voldemort that she is today!"

Now, I've never seen Damages, but I have a clear picture in my mind of what this Patty person is like. LOL. Isn't it funny how references can cross so many cultural bridges?
Madam Pince
Madam Pince
Third Year
Third Year

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter in Pop Culture Empty Re: Harry Potter in Pop Culture

Post  Odo the Hero Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 pm

This isn't exactly popular culture, and I'm sure it predates Harry Potter, but I winced when I saw a road sign today that read, "Welcome to Simcoe County. For the greater good."

Odo the Hero

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter in Pop Culture Empty JKR Examines Her French Ancestry in "Who Do You Think You Are?"

Post  Madam Pince Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:01 pm

This is not exactly "HP" in pop culture, but close enough... anyway, I thought it might be of interest...

J.K. Rowling uncovers French roots in TV show

Aug 1, 7:02 PM (ET)

LONDON (AP) - For years, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and her family had honored a French ancestor who they believed was a World War I war hero.

But the best-selling author has now discovered that her family had been mistaken about the true identity of her great-grandfather.

Rowling, 46, has recorded a television program with the BBC that shows her coming to terms with the revelation that her family had confused Louis Volant, a war hero awarded with the Legion d'honneur for his bravery during the Battle of Verdun, with her real great-grandfather, who had the same name and also fought for France.

Rowling told the BBC magazine show Radio Times that the experience was an upsetting and emotional one. She said taking part in her genealogy research made her so emotional that she cried several times.

"There were a lot of big surprises, some wonderful, and one rather upsetting," she said in an interview.

"However, I went into the program wanting the truth, no matter what it was, because I knew so little about my French ancestry, and I don't regret a moment of it. I loved the whole experience," she added.

When Rowling was awarded the Legion d'honneur for her services to literature in 2009, she described her pride being the second winner of the honor in the family, and how her accomplishments could not compare to the bravery of her ancestor and men like him.

She said that she has undertook the project because her mother Anne Volant, who died in 1990, was very interested in her French roots but never got the chance to explore them.

"A huge motivation in looking into my family history is my mother. It's very much bound up in that loss," she said.

The BBC show, called "Who Do You Think You Are?" will be broadcast later this month.
Madam Pince
Madam Pince
Third Year
Third Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Madam Pince Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Here's another interesting JKR article, which I found as a result of poking around on a link Soli had posted, so thanks to Soli! I hadn't heard this -- it was news to me, although apparently it happened last month. I dunno... I am just getting more and more soured on her. I know she says it was not done without good reason, but geez... he's the only one who would take a chance on her initially! It just seems to me like she's awfully quick to turn on people who have helped her in the past, and the blame always lies with them, according to her. I know she has deep-rooted insecurities, but, well... she seems a bit of a diva to me, which is a real shame if it's so. Harry Potter in Pop Culture 3906177977 Anyway here's the article from bbc.co.uk (no author was listed so I can't credit.) :

JK Rowling Splits With Book Agent Christopher Little

Harry Potter creator JK Rowling has parted company with her longtime literary agent Christopher Little, it has been announced.

The millionaire author has worked with Mr Little since he found a publisher for her first novel Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in 1996.

Rowling said it had been a "painful decision" but "was not taken without good reason".

Her books have sold more than 400 million copies worldwide.

"This was a painful decision, especially as Ms Rowling had actively sought a different outcome for some weeks," said a statement issued on her behalf.

"However, it was not taken without good reason and it finally became unavoidable."

A spokesman for Mr Little confirmed the news and said that the agent was "surprised" and "disappointed" at the decision.

"Christopher Little has worked closely with J K Rowling as her agent since the very beginning 16 years ago.

"He greatly admires her and her extraordinary talent and is proud to have played his role throughout this journey.

"However he is disappointed and surprised to have heard the premature news about the proposed new arrangements."

Last month, Rowling launched a new website Pottermore that would feature previously unpublished Harry Potter material as a "give-back" to her fans.

"Some of it is new stuff in response to things fans have asked me over the years," she told the BBC.

The website, which launches in October, includes an online store where fans can buy Potter e-books for the first time.
Madam Pince
Madam Pince
Third Year
Third Year

Back to top Go down

Post  freshwater Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:01 pm

I wonder if this split between JKR and her first publisher is related to 1) the sale of the HP series as e-books, or 2) the release of new HP info on-line rather than in print....? Just speculation on my part....
freshwater
freshwater
Second Year
Second Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Solitaire Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:37 pm

An interesting question, Freshwater. A lot of us would love to see Hogwarts: A History in print. If all of the PM information is what would have made up such a book, he might be understandably miffed at losing it. Then again, perhaps it is something connected with the way the digital books are being marketed. Hard to say ..
Solitaire
Solitaire
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter in Pop Culture Empty HP Quizes

Post  Hogwarts Class of 85 Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but if you haven't seen this site, it has some fun time-wasting HP related quizes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A good site when you have some time to kill
Hogwarts Class of 85
Hogwarts Class of 85
First Year
First Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:21 pm

HCo85, thanks for the link! Now, if you've got some time to kill, you could always mosey on over to the Potty Games thread and take the current quiz called [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The winner gets to create the next quiz, and it can be as short or as long as you want it to be! Harry Potter in Pop Culture 2752390508

EDIT: Just saw your quiz, HCo85! Thanks! Harry Potter in Pop Culture 2222139670
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:56 pm

This seemed like the best place to post this.

For those of you who plan to buy the Deathly Hallows DVD when it comes out later this year, don't delay, buy it as soon as it hits the shelves, because according to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] from the Guardian, they won't be there for long.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  shepherdess Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Oh, good grief! This is going to encourage pirating of the movies. And that's such a short time for them to be available!
shepherdess
shepherdess
Head Girl
Head Girl

http://abetteryou.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  azi Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 am

Hmm, I can't say this surprises me about Warner Bros.

They say Disney is keeping prices high (and they are significantly more expensive than other brands), but that's the reason I don't buy their DVDs. Not being able to buy The Lion King annoys me and puts me off them further. It doesn't always keep prices high anyway - I managed to get Beauty and the Beast on Blu-ray with normal DVD and some sort of special extended version for £8 in a high street shop (for comparison, the 'normal' price is about £18).

I agree with shepherdess - it will encourage pirating. There are a lot of TV programmes that people I know download because they can't get them in the UK, either on TV or on DVD. Doesn't leave you with a lot of options does it? People aren't very patient. I, on the other hand, will wait for years for DVDs I want to come down to an acceptable price. It annoys my boyfriend. Harry Potter in Pop Culture 1003735042
azi
azi
Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:54 pm

I got a notice from WB this morning and they have all their HP DVD's on for $4.25 each and that includes DH part 1. Time to stock up! Harry Potter in Pop Culture 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:34 am

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but this seemed as good a place as any.

While following the trail of a completed unrelated story online, I stumbled across the following story:

It is a delightful local newspaper story about Evanna Lynch, from 3 years before she auditioned for the role of Luna Lovegood. How many other cast members can lay claim to being such devoted fans of Harry Potter that they were featured in their local newspapers for their fandom not their fame? I thought it was a lovely story. Imagine how that 11 year old girl would feel, reading about Luna Lovegood for the first time, if someone had said to her, "you're going to play that part in the movies". It must have seemed as likely as an owl turning up with a letter from Hogwarts. For her, the magic was real.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mona Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:18 am

What a wonderful story! Harry Potter in Pop Culture 266347159 And how lucky, Verity, that you accidently found it and were able to share it with us!
Mona
Mona
Hufflepuff Prefect
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Denise P. Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:04 am

How cool is that and look at how cute she is!
Denise P.
Denise P.
Headmaster
Headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:52 am

Good story, but now I want to know why she was in the hospital. Curious minds want to know! I hope it was nothing serious. Harry Potter in Pop Culture 2752390508
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter in Pop Culture Empty What Harry Potter Has Taught Us...

Post  Potteraholic Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am

This is really long, but interesting. I saw this in a Ravenclaw Common Room I joined on Facebook. Wasn't sure exactly where it belonged, so put it in this thread.

What Harry Potter Has Taught Us...
1997 - 2011

- Harry Potter taught me that some things are worth dying for.
- Ron Weasley taught me that believing in yourself is a hundred times more powerful than luck.
- Hermione Granger taught me that an education is a girl’s best asset, even if it doesn’t make you many friends.
- Severus Snape taught me to never, ever, ever judge someone.
- Rubeus Hagrid taught me that anything can be cute with the right perspective.
- Ginny Weasley taught me that bold is beautiful.
- Lily Potter taught me that a mother’s love is the strongest force on earth.
- Remus Lupin taught me that fear is the only thing I should be afraid of.
- Dolores Umbridge taught me that education with a political agenda is a terrible, terrible thing.
- Sirius Black taught me that the ones we love never truly leave us.
- Albus Dumbledore taught me that good people are not always good.
- Draco Malfoy taught me that bad people are not always bad.
- Neville Longbottom taught me that courage is standing up for what’s right, even when you’re scared out of your mind.
- Luna Lovegood taught me that weird is wonderful.
- Dobby taught me that freedom is a gift.
- Lucius Malfoy taught me that no amount of money, pomp, or circumstance will buy you true friends.
- Fred & George Weasley taught me that sometimes all you need is a good laugh.
- The Dursleys taught me that a world without imagination is a dull and dreary place.
- Arthur Weasley taught me that a good sense of curiosity and a bit of obsession can be healthy.
- Fleur Delacour taught me that true love is not based on appearance.
- Molly Weasley taught me that a happy family is not measured in gold.
- Bellatrix Lestrange taught me that hatred and prejudice rot your mind and can turn even the most beautiful person into a monster.
- Kreacher taught me that if you want to get to know a man, look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
- Cho Chang taught me that rebound relationships almost never work.
- Nymphadora Tonks taught me to love myself, no matter what I look like.
- Percy Weasley taught me that, in the end, no career is worth sacrificing your family.
- Sybill Trelawney taught me that you cannot change the past, only the future.
- Lavender Brown taught me that physical relationships only last for so long.
- Peter Pettigrew taught me that rats do not make good friends.
- Nicholas Flamel taught me that to the well-prepared mind, death is but the next great adventure.
- Minerva McGonagall taught me that a good cause is worth fighting for at any age.
- Hedwig taught me that the love we have for our pets is very real.
- Lord Voldemort taught me that a life without love is barely living.

J. K. Rowling taught me that the stories we love will always be with us.
Until the very end.

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 am

Wonderful! Harry Potter in Pop Culture 2752390508 Thanks for sharing!
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:41 pm

Sure thing, Verity. Harry Potter in Pop Culture 2752390508 I'm thinking 2 things about this list: 1) I don't like the space between each line and am going to insert a hyphen in front instead and remove the line break, and 2) I think Harry Potter in Pop Culture 3631154839's could have been better!

EDIT: Done, and 3) I guess James Potter didn't teach the author of this list much. Even Wormtail made the list! Poor James. Harry Potter in Pop Culture 3276373137
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Choices Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:14 pm

I love that - thanks so much for sharing it with us. I do think that Dumbledore deserves much better than the comment he got. I just adore that man. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Choices
Choices
Seventh Year
Seventh Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:16 pm

Choices, they are good, aren't they? Maybe we should come up with some new Dumbledore ones? Playing Devil's advocate, I think the author had Dumbledore and Draco together to make that good/bad idea work.

Let's see, what would be a better line for Dumbledore? Hmmm... must think on that...

Last edited by Potteraholic on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 pm

It's hard to distil all of Dumbledore's wisdom into a single line, but I do think that point from the list is a good one. Perhaps it could be expressed in a more profound way, but the revelations we learn about Dumbledore in DH show us that everyone has flaws, even those we truly admire. Of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't admire them, and perhaps it can even give us a new appreciation of how they came to be the person we admire.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  azi Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:28 pm

JKR did a session at a public inquiry on the tactics of the press today, so I've linked her statement for anyone interested. It really shows how invasive the press can be and the lengths she's had to go to in order to get privacy. And she's not even that big a celebrity (not compared to actors/actresses or musicians).

For those who aren't aware, there was a scandal over phone hacking to get news stories in the UK a few months ago and as a result there are two public inquiries running at present. One is investigating the phone hacking and the other is looking into the culture/ethics of the media as a whole. JKR was a witness on the latter.
azi
azi
Fifth Year
Fifth Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Hogwarts Class of 85 Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:54 am

Saw this in the paper the other day  - a new set of books to collect!

Hogwarts Class of 85
Hogwarts Class of 85
First Year
First Year

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter in Pop Culture Empty Stage version of HP

Post  Hogwarts Class of 85 Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:05 am

J.K. Rowling is pleased to announce that she is collaborating with the award-winning theatre producers Sonia Friedman and Colin Callender on a new stage play to be based on the Harry Potter stories.

What was it like to be the boy in the cupboard under the stairs? This brand new play, which will be developed for the UK theatre, will explore the previously untold story of Harry's early years as an orphan and outcast. Featuring some of our favourite characters from the Harry Potter books, this new work will offer a unique insight into the heart and mind of the now legendary young wizard. A seemingly ordinary boy, but one for whom Destiny has plans...

J.K. Rowling will also be a co-producer on the project, but whilst she will collaborate with a writer on the new play, she will not write the script herself.

J.K. Rowling said:

"Over the years I have received countless approaches about turning Harry Potter into a theatrical production, but Sonia and Colin’s vision was the only one that really made sense to me, and which had the sensitivity, intensity and intimacy I thought appropriate for bringing Harry's story to the stage. After a year in gestation it is exciting to see this project moving on to the next phase. I’d like to thank Warner Bros. for their continuing support in this project."

Writers and directors are now being considered, and the project will move into development in 2014.
Hogwarts Class of 85
Hogwarts Class of 85
First Year
First Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next