HPLF WX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII)

+2
Julia H.
Potteraholic
6 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 Empty Story #151

Post  Julia H. Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am

, as Sirius waved to them

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 1003735042
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:38 am

. Then he urged Buckbeak higher
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 pm

and higher, until they disappeared
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:33 pm

amongst the lingering storm clouds.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 am

NON-POST

Shall we finish this story here or shall we go on? I quite like writing about Sirius's adventures, and I'm ready to continue, but your last five words sound like a very nice ending, so we could also stop here.

I like the way he disappears among the lingering storm clouds - they are beautifully symbolic.

Last edited by Julia H. on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 am

NON-POST

Yes, maybe we should. It could turn into a bit of an epic otherwise.

That is nice symbolism at the end there. I totally did that on purpose. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 464751818 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2222139670
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:23 am

NON-POST

I thought so, Verity! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 464751818 Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2222139670

So now it's my turn to compile the full story and to think of a title. Exciting, since I've never done that before! I just need some time. In the meantime, feel free to start a new story. I can reserve a post for posting this one - that will probably be enough, as I don't expect to receive too many comments. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2752390508

I want to tell you that I have been to the theatre with my students today. We have seen a travelling theatre company - they're a company of young actors and actresses who perform plays based on classic English novels in English all over the world. They travel from country to country and perform for student audiences at school time. We have seen Brave New World today. It was a really good performance and very well suited to the needs of an audience for whom English is a foreign language.

Last edited by Julia H. on Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 am

Story #151.

Rehearsal with an Audience

Sirius patted the hippogriff's neck and looked back at the towers and turrets of Hogwarts growing smaller in the distance.

"Well, sir, that was lucky! " he said to the magnificent beast beneath him, and as if in reply, Buckbeak gave a vigorous nod of his head.

The moon illuminated the tops of the trees far below, and the night wind rippled through the branches like a gentle whisper. Sirius sighed thinking of the boy who he had let down again and he wondered whether they would see each other again.

While he was musing, Buckbeak continued to fly south, saving him the bother of making any plans. His mind wandered back to the time when he had first escaped from the Dementors, determined to save Harry. He'd had a purpose then. And now? Did he have a purpose? A plan? Where was he going?

Buckbeak seemed to be relishing his new-found freedom and was climbing steadily. His obvious joy was contagious, and Sirius suddenly laughed out loud, throwing back his mane of black hair. He gripped Buckbeak tightly with his knees and looked up at the clear, star-strewn sky. It was distant and mysterious, yet also comfortingly familiar. He drank in its beauty, savouring the delicious feel of the cool , fresh air, which meant freedom and opportunity. Before tonight he'd been like a stray dog following the scent of a bone, feared and hated by everyone, but with a single-minded will to achieve his goal. Now a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders and he was suddenly filled with a sense of relief and another unfamiliar feeling - hope. Harry had believed him - forgiven him for failing to save his parents. Remus was his friend again, and there was also Dumbledore, who had seemed to trust him. The future certainly looked a bit brighter than it had for a long time.

The night was beginning to lighten, a faint glow of yellow and pink on the distant horizon.

"Time to take a bit of a rest, old mate," Sirius murmured, bending over the hippogriff's muscular neck.

A dense forest appeared below, and Buckbeak gracefully circled down, alighting in a small glade. Sirius glanced round before sliding from the Hippogriff's back. The place seemed secluded , and besides a startled rabbit, there was no sign of anyone. Buckbeak quickly snatched up the rabbit, while Sirius stretched and settled down to rest . He was hungry, however, and watched Buckbeak tearing into his prey with something like envy. Tiredness won out and in a few minutes he was deeply asleep. 

Several hours later he woke up with a jolt. There were raised voices coming from behind the trees further down the hill. Sirius jumped to his feet and scrambled for cover, peering between the branches of a hawthorn tree. He hadn't noticed in the half-light that the clearing was close to a narrow path wandering through the forest and now he saw two young wizards coming towards his hiding place. They appeared to be arguing about something. One of them was holding a small bird in his hand and was shaking it vigorously while the other one was laughing.

"I'll teach this mangy scrubbing brush how to peck me!" he snapped, throwing the helpless, semi-conscious little creature against a nearby tree trunk. Laughing shrilly, he raised his wand and pointed it at the bird. Neither of them noticed the big black dog who was watching them with bared teeth.

"Know a good feather-plucking spell... Penna-"

He never managed to finish his spell as the black dog suddenly leapt from the shadows, sending him falling to the ground. The wand flew out of his hand. His friend was nowhere to be seen, having fled as fast as his legs would carry him, crying out in panic:

"The Grim! It's the Grim!" His voice was already growing faint in the distance.

"Wait!" called the young wizard, feeling the dog's breath on his face. He scrambled to his feet and ran after his friend, as the big, black dog, growling ferociously , snapped at his heels.

Once he had disappeared behind the distant trees, the dog bounded back to the clearing, where he quickly transformed back into a man. Buckbeak, too, was emerging from the bushes, investigating the scene. The small bird was beginning to stir, struggling to move its wings as it gave a pitiful hoot. It was the tiniest owl Sirius had ever seen. He pushed aside Buckbeak, whose inquisitive beak was just inches from the little creature, and lifted it up. It seemed to be in shock but otherwise unhurt. Sirius stroked its ruffled feathers.

"I won't leave you alone, don't worry," he whispered with an affection that surprised even himself. A fat caterpillar appeared suddenly next to his ear, dropped there by Buckbeak , as a present for the injured bird. Sirius chuckled.

"Let's find some water, too. I 'm almost hungry enough to eat a … horse - no offence intended ," he added quickly.

They set out in search of some water, but had only gone a few steps when Sirius noticed the wand, still lying under a tree, which had been forgotten by the fleeing wizards. Giving a low whistle Sirius picked it up.

"Well , this might come in handy !"

He gave it an experimental swish, sending bright, colourful sparks cascading over their heads. The wand seemed just right for him and he quickly conjured a large goblet, which he filled with the Aguamenti charm to quench his thirst at least, before offering some to the little owl and Buckbeak. Feeling a little refreshed, they began exploring the forest in earnest, and before too long , with the help of a few useful spells, Sirius was able to discover a spot next to a stream where a fairy ring of St. George's mushrooms was growing. He sat down by the stream , started a small fire and began picking the mushrooms. A small, flat rock transfigured nicely into a large cooking pan into which he tossed the mushrooms. Then he took the wand and set about sauteeing them, substituting magic for butter. A simple Revealing spell unearthed some garlic mustard plants, which were growing nearby. He shredded a few leaves and seasoned the mushrooms with them. Buckbeak and the little owl were watching Sirius with interest, until suddenly their attention was captured by a flash of silver light among the trees. It was a corporeal Patronus in the shape of a large, but friendly-looking wolf.

He strolled straight to Sirius, who looked shocked, but delighted, and said, "Dementors are patrolling the coastline. I'm leaving Hogwarts to search for Pettigrew as soon as I can. See you soon and let me know if you need anything, old friend."

With this, the silver wolf dissolved into nothingness, leaving Sirius staring at an empty spot with a curious feeling of longing.

He wished he could talk to Remus.

Over breakfast he started to plan his next move. He knew that he had to leave Britain but it would be inadvisable to run into any Dementors on the way. He now had Buckbeak, who would be capable of flying far above the Dementors - if he was willing. But first, Lupin's message had to be answered. He wondered whether the little owl would be able to deliver letters any time soon and whether he could really trust him to do the job. For a few days, the priority must be to stay in a place where the three of them would be safely hidden from Dementors and aurors, travelling only by night. It was also essential to gather some supplies; the mushrooms would not last long. The next priority was to allow someone - preferably a Muggle - to spot him a long way from Hogwarts so that the security restrictions around the school would be lifted. The best idea might be to apparate to London, Canterbury and Dover. That should convince the Ministry that he was planning to leave the country.

Finishing his meal, he began looking for a comfortable spot to rest for all three of them. The area seemed deserted, but he had to take certain precautions. He cast a disillusionment charm on himself, then he did the same to Buckbeak. He put the little owl in the pocket of his cloak and raised the wand to protect the shady clearing against intruders. After casting a few more spells, he settled down under a large oak tree to try and get some sleep at last. Buckbeak settled nearby, tucking his head under his wing. They spent an uninterrupted couple of hours sleeping. When they woke up a summer thunderstorm was rolling over them. A bright flash of lightning overhead prompted Sirius to cast an Umbrella Charm and to look around for a better shelter.

They were close to the edge of the forest, and after a short walk, a farmhouse and a vast, green field of clover and sheep came into sight. Sirius watched the scenery for any signs of human life. The house looked so inviting that Sirius couldn't help fantasizing about a warm fireplace and a home-cooked meal. Skirting the edge of the field they crept closer, while thunder and lightning as well as fat raindrops gathered momentum. A quarter of an hour later they were warm and dry in a spacious barn situated behind the farmhouse. Buckbeak quickly caught a couple of mice that had also sought refuge in the wooden building. Sirius satisfied himself that the barn was protected by the necessary charms and then settled down to watch the storm. It was so loud that Sirius couldn't hear the muffled noises coming from behind a large haystack. Buckbeak, however, had a keener sense of hearing and sight. All of a sudden a young girl appeared, wrestling a reluctant tabby cat, who was yowling and protesting loudly against the girl's enthusiastic attempts to carry him closer to the barn. Buckbeak, who had been searching for the source of the noise for a few seconds, reared up and let out a piercing cry. The girl dropped the cat and screamed as the enormous hippogriff slashed the air with his sharp talons.

"It's all right, Buckbeak," Sirius soothed, rushing forward to stand between the little girl and the angry animal. He patted Buckbeak's neck until he calmed down while the little girl was slowly edging into the barn. She kept staring at the strange creature, but showed no sign of fear any more. As Sirius wondered where the girl had come from and how she'd got through his Muggle-repelling spells as well as the other protective charms, she approached them gingerly.

In the dim light of the barn, Sirius could see that she was about eight years old. She wore her hair in plaits tied with red and gold ribbon. Her blue eyes were bright and curious and her voice was clear and firm.

"That's not a horse!" she said. "I've never seen an animal like that."

Sirius considered the situation for a moment. Should he Obliviate the girl? According to the Statute of Secrecy, that would be the right thing to do. However he instinctively felt that this girl was not an ordinary Muggle and wasn't a threat to the wizarding community. So he replied calmly, "it's a hippogriff. If your're polite and respectful, he'll let you pat him. Do you want to ?"

The girl nodded eagerly and stepped closer, while Buckbeak was regarding her quizzically from one eye. Tentatively, the girl curtsied and waited, as Sirius instructed her. Slowly, Buckbeak bowed his head and allowed her to stand quite near and touch the stormy-grey feathers on his neck. Sirius winked at her as the girl gasped in excitement. Still very carefully, she stepped back and sat down on the floor, eyes fixed on Buckbeak.

"It's real, isn't it?" she asked. "You aren't a figment of my imagination? "
Sirius laughed out loud.

"No, we're very real. All of us."

"People say my imagination runs away with me, that's why I'm asking. I sometimes imagine things happen, which couldn't happen." She cast a suspicious look over Buckbeak, as though she still had doubts about his existence. Sirius watched her thoughtfully for a while.

"What are you doing in my secret hiding place anyway?" she asked suddenly. "Nobody ever comes here."

Sirius shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other , then gave a feeble smile . "Just sheltering from the thunderstorm and the rain," he replied , "but what were you doing outside in this weather?"

"I was looking for Mr Muffin ," she explained. "I was worried about him cos he's scared of lightning. Do you want to pet him? I can find him."

Suddenly the little owl poked his head out of Sirius's pocket, as though he knew they were talking about him.

"What's this?" the girl said, immediately spotting the bird. "Are you a circus act? Is that why you have come here with these strange creatures?"

Looking affronted at first, Sirius hesitated for a moment, then chuckled. "Something like that, yes." He took the owl out and he preened in the wizard's palm as the girl came closer to take a better look at him.

"Ooh, he looks just like the owl I had when I was little - except he wasn't real. I called him Owl. I'm Joanne, by the way."

"My name is Paddy, and this is, er ... Pegasus - and, of course, Owl. We were travelling nearby and got caught by the storm so decided to shelter in this barn," Sirius replied.

Joanne pointed out into the rain.

"Our house is over there. D'you want to come for a visit? Perhaps my parents will be home by now and they'll be interested in your unusual animals."

"I don't think it would be a good idea," Sirius said evasively . "We have to ... er... rehearse for the next show, in the forest as soon as the storm clears."

"But that is exciting! Can't you rehearse here? I'll be the audience and I'll pay for my ticket with cupcakes. I made them myself!"

"Oh," Sirius said . "That sounds lovely. Throw in some pie or perhaps a few sausages and you have a ticket for the best show in town!"

As if on cue, there was a loud grumble from Sirius' stomach, which did not escape Joanne's notice.

"Right. Back soon," she said, and hurried out of the barn. The rain had begun to ease off, and for a moment Sirius contemplated leaving. However, the prospect of a decent meal won, and a reluctance to disappoint Joanne also persuaded him to continue with the charade. After all, what harm could it do? Soon he heard an excited babble of voices and Joanne threw the door open before ushering in a small group of people.

"Paddy!" she enthused , "I brought some friends with me! They've just come to see me, so I invited them to the show . You don't mind, do you?"

She was carrying a large plate of colourful cupcakes and her friends brought a mouth-watering assortment of food - pork pie, roast beef, sausages, some bread and cheese and a large jar of pickles.

Did Sirius mind? Not once he had tasted the delicious, home-made price of admission. He couldn't remember when he had eaten something so delicious. He realised Joanne and her friends must have taken a big risk to bring him all that food, and felt a rush of gratitude and a bit of guilt over his encouragement of such excessive kindness. The kids deserved a magic show after that - a show they had never seen before. He tossed a piece of meat to Buckbeak and broke off some cheese for Owl. He was thirsty so was delighted to find a small bottle of home-made ginger beer in the basket . He opened it and took a large sip, savouring the taste of the drink, which left a pleasant tingle on his lips. When he had eaten his fill, carefully wrapping the leftovers in a piece of foil and stashing them in a conjured bag, to the astonishment of the watching kids, he gave an elegant bow and gestured for them to take their seats on the hay bales.

"Orchideous!" Sirius shouted, waving his wand, as he swished his cloak theatrically. A bouquet of flowers appeared, which Sirius presented to Joanne, who was delighted. Then he sent a shower of sparks into the air. The sparks lit up the dim barn. The kids were cheering and laughing. Over his shoulder, Buckbeak was gazing at the scene with interest. He suddenly reared up, flapping his enormous wings and raking the air with his sharp talons. With an exaggerated flourish of his wand Sirius signalled for the hippogriff to back down, putting on a show of taming a fierce creature. A quick spell produced a plume of smoke , adding to the dramatic effect of the performance. In a chorus of 'oohs' and 'aaahs' , he gracefully mounted Buckbeak and prepared to take flight.

"Thanks to you all," he began with a wave, "I am going to show you something you won't have seen before and I'd like to ask you to keep it a secret. I want it to be a surprise for everyone who is going to attend the show. Now, the doors! "

Joanne jumped to her feet and threw open the barn doors. The storm had completely passed and snatches of blue sky could be seen between the leaden clouds. Smelling the fresh, open air, Buckbeak was eager to stretch his wings at last, but Sirius kept him reined in just a bit longer - he meant to leave soon after the display but he owed the kids a decent spectacle after their kindness and generosity. So he called, "Joanne, in a few years, you will receive a special letter. When you do, you'll understand what you've seen here today. Remember me then, and who knows we may meet again. Siriously!"

With that he set off at a canter, before leaping into the air, as Buckbeak joyfully stretched his wings. The girls squealed with delight, watching the unbelievable aerobatic display of man and hippogriff. The show was complemented by the excited hoots of Owl, coming from the direction of Sirius' pocket. A shower of colourful sparks and bubbles rained down on the spectators, who stood with their mouths open in amazement. Finally, Sirius waved his wand again and summoned several smooth pebbles from the ground. The pebbles whirled through the air to Sirius, who made a few theatrical gestures, before sending them floating back towards the goggle-eyed audience, now shaped like miniature animals carved of stone.

"Thank you ," called Joanne, caressing her lion, as Sirius waved to them. Then he urged Buckbeak higher and higher, until they disappeared amongst the lingering storm clouds.

Last edited by Julia H. on Sat May 04, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 Empty Story #152

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 am

Wow. Time for a new story. That came on suddenly! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2752390508 I wonder if we will have any company for this one. I'll look forward to reading the compiled version of our Sirius story. It seems like we've been writing it for a long time, so it will be good to go back and read it all the way through.

The theatre company sounds fun. Any time you get to see live theatre is a bonus, and great for the students to have that experience.

Now on to the new story...

"Gilderoy, you have a visitor

I don't have anything in particular in mind for this, although I think it might be fun to explore Lockhart's connection with the Dark Force Defence League. However, this could conceivably take place before, during or after his time at Hogwarts. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2752390508
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:15 am

," said Professor Flitwick, after escorting

Good idea! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2752390508 Maybe we can invite the people with whom we have recently discussed the DFDL to join us.

I have opted for a Lockhart who still has his memories.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:27 am

a portly wizard in navy

Good idea. I wonder if we could persuade them.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:33 am

blue robes to the office

Let's go and try. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 464751818
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm

. Professor Lockhart looked up from

Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 pm

the letter he was reading
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Potteraholic Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 Screen11    and said, "Why hello there                   

Hi Verity and Julia. Smile I have the period after lunch free today because of a schedule change due to State-wide standardized math testing this morning, so I thought I'd peek in on Five Words now. Smile

I've updated the header with a link to this story's starting post, in case others look for this story and want to see how it starts. Smile
Potteraholic
Potteraholic
Ravenclaw Prefect
Ravenclaw Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 Empty Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII)

Post  Dryleaves Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Filius, my dear friend! I
Dryleaves
Dryleaves
First Year
First Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:51 pm

see you have met Mr

Hi, PAH and Dryleaves! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2752390508 *** waves *** It's nice to see you both! cheers
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Slinkhard, the esteemed Under-Secretary of

Wow! bounce How great to pop in this morning and see PAH's post and then a post from Dryleaves too!! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 1933885729

Welcome back! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 1003735042
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:30 am

the Dark Force Defence League

Verity, I love the names you give our Five Words characters! Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2222139670
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:36 am

. Wilbert, what a pleasant surprise

I'm afraid I can't take the credit for this one, Julia. Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 2752390508 Wilbert Slinkhard is one of Jo's creations. He's the author of the set text Dolores Umbridge chose for her DADA class, 'Defensive Magical Theory'. Based on what we know about his book, he seems like the kind of person who would be a member of the DFDL and probably in awe of Gilderoy Lockhart's fabulous exploits.
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:43 am

to see you here!"

Professor

Oh, I see! Then you must take the credit for remembering him at the right moment! I agree that the author of that book must have been a Dark Arts expert similar to Lockhart.
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:21 am

Lockhart stood and warmly shook
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:22 am

hands with his guest, who
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post  Verity Weasley Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:00 am

was gazing at Gilderoy with
Verity Weasley
Verity Weasley
N.E.W.T.

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia H. Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:58 am

awe.

Professor Flitwick hurriedly closed
Julia H.
Julia H.
Prefect
Prefect

Back to top Go down

Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII) - Page 26 Empty Re: Potty Game: Five Words (Vol. XVIII)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next